Speaker 1: Imagine a tool that completely transforms how you see the world. I mean not just giving you a new perspective, but unlocking insights and efficiencies you couldn't even dream of before. And that's really the power of drone technology we're talking about today, and we're going deep into how it's just completely redefining the architecture, engineering, and construction industries.
Speaker 2: AEC for sure, exactly, and we're diving into this strategic guide. It's called Drone Technology and Architecture, Engineering and Construction by Daniel Teller and John Alchild. It's really comprehensive, and like you said, this isn't just about you know, flying a cool gadget around. It's really about understanding how these unmanned aerial vehicles UAVs are becoming absolutely essential professional tools. They are changing projects from the very start right through to the end.
Speaker 1: Right So our mission today really is to cut through all the noise, pull out the most important bits of knowledge from this guide. It's incredibly detailed and you know, highlight those aha moments, the things that will make you feel genuinely clued in about how big an impact drones are having on well everything around us, the buildings, the landscape. So what does this actually mean for you? How could it change things?
Speaker 3: Okay, let's get into it. You know, for decades, I think when most people thought about drones, it was all military stuff, wasn't it. Stuff you see on the news in films. But the journey to how they became these sophisticated tools we use today, that's quite a story. What did that really begin?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a fascinating evolution. Really.
Speaker 4: Early versions actually go way back to the eighteen hundreds. Yeah, unmanned balloons, believe or not, for military observation. Then you fast forward to World War One, World War two you started seeing radio controlled aircraft. But the drones we kind of recognized today. They really took off in warfare maybe mid nineteen eighties. But the real game changer for civilian news anyway, was this convergence. It happened in the early two thousands. You had the rise of hobby radio controlled plans in the nineties, and that met the boom and consumer digital cameras, remember the first one nineteen ninety four. I think suddenly you could stick a pretty good, lightweight camera onto a relatively keep reliable flying thing. That changed everything and.
Speaker 1: For aec Wow, that convergence was just revolutionary. I mean, we've been working mainly off two D plans forever right for site design. Suddenly drones let us pull in live perspective views, interactive three D graphics right into the design process itself. It's not just about getting more data though, it feels like it connects you to the site differently emotionally. Almost when you see a site a landscape from up high, it just clicks. You understand the shape, the connections, the context in a way you didn't before. I'm thinking of projects like the Conifer High School sports fields one in the book. You instantly see how it all fits together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you connect that to the bigger picture, it really boosts this idea of contextually sensitive design. It's a term we use a lot. Designs aren't just static ideas on paper anymore. You experience them differently right from the get go. The book shows us really well with the highway station project, seeing a nice wandering short but then you see the drone photo match. It's the same detailed three D model, but plus all the real surroundings, the actual views, which means designs get understood, get communicated within their real living context. That's incredibly powerful for getting everyone on board avoiding costly mistakes down the line.
Speaker 1: Okay, so, given this huge shift and just seeing a site, what are the tagible the core advantages driving this? Why are AEC firms adopting drones so fast? What's the first big hook?
Speaker 2: Well, often the conversation kicks off with affordability. It's surprising maybe how low the cost of entry is for firms, especially when you compare it to traditional ways of gathering data like a good Dji Phantom or a Mavig Pro drone package perfectly capable for professional stuff comes in around what eighteen hundred dollars? That's a really accessible investment for getting such powerful tools.
Speaker 1: That does a critical point. Seriously affordable. But okay, beyond just buying the drone, what about the flexibility? What can they actually do day to day?
Speaker 2: Ah, that's where it gets really interesting. They are incredibly versatile. Think about it. Project managers can literally just take one to a site, visit, reve essential data, and boom integrated almost immediately. Or maybe it's a remote site, an experienced pilot can guide a local operator through the exact flight needed. Plus you can swap out different cameras and sensors. You need lightar, multi spectral, high zoom cameras. You can adapt the drone for all sorts of project needs, surveys, detailed analysis. It's very adaptable.
Speaker 1: And then there's just the sheer range and access that must be huge.
Speaker 2: Oh massive drones get into places give you vantage points that would otherwise cause to fortune with planes or satellites, or even more importantly, avoid really high risk manual inspections. Think about checking the top of a huge oil rig or a big power plant miles of pipeline. You can do it safely from a distance, keep workers out of dangerous situations. That's a huge plus. And the data isn't stuck in a silo either. That's what's really key. It merges so easily into the workflows people are already using. You get instant analysis, elevation data, topography, stuff that used to take days or weeks. It's simplified. Getting things into three D models for renderings, for design checks. Software like Picks forty desktops for instance, makes processing this stuff pretty seamless, less hassle, faster insights for the whole team.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And that looks back to something you mentioned earlier safety. That seems like a fundamental shift.
Speaker 2: It really is. Yeah, for so many industries, drones are changing how work gets done by just keeping people safe, whether it's those high roof inspections or checking out infrastructure and tricky spots, you get the information you need without putting anyone at risk.
Speaker 1: Definitely, and it's not just for one specific task. You know, drones are useful across the entire project cycle. Every phase. Take writing a proposal, imagine including actual aerial footage, maybe some videos, initial graphics like those annotated bird's eye shots for the Frisco Colorado Marina project. They mentioned. It instantly shows you know the site you're committed, makes a huge first impression.
Speaker 2: And then for the actual proposal interview, those high stakes meetings, we've already flown the site and have photogrammetry, having that three D model, the photos, the video, that's an incredible analysis tool, a presentation tool. It just sets you apart. The book talks about overlaying a hand drawn plan onto a photogrammetric mesh for a little dry creak that's super impactful, communicates the idea within reality. And then when the project actually starts up, those initial drone images are gold great for analysis, easy to share with consultants, with clients, gets progress tracking going right away, then moving into concept design, design development. You can merge graphic overlays directly with your three D models. Your CAD info makes presentations for approvals so much clearer that I twenty five and similar. In interchange projects, for instance, they use drone views to show exactly how the new road fit into the real world, no.
Speaker 1: Guesswork, and during construction itself, construction administration, this is where it really seems to shine.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. Being able to refly the same pre programmed flight paths, often automatically, it gives you almost real time tracking cloud software things like Sidaware Precision, HOWK, Trimble Stratus. They can compare flights, automatically, calculate prog material use, cut and feel volumes with amazing accuracy. It's like a constant feedback loop. You can even tie it into BIM models, into gaunt charts total oversight, and.
Speaker 1: Even after construction, they're still useful.
Speaker 2: Immense value, absolutely for long term monitoring, checking site conditions. Is the ground settling okay? Any geohazards like landslides popping up? How's the infrastructure holding up. You can constantly compare the as built reality against the original design intent. That's crucial for managing risk, ensuring success years later.
Speaker 1: And just for telling the story right. Visual communication, public outreach, fundraising, marketing.
Speaker 2: Drone visuals are fantastic for that. Those amazing three D rendered overlays for the Pike's Peak visitor Center so powerful. Anyone can look at that and instantly understand the vision. See it in its actual context, really brings it to life for everyone involved.
Speaker 1: So we keep saying drone data. We know it's photos and video, but what else? What are the specific actionable things you get? What's the raw stuff and what can it become?
Speaker 2: Right? It starts with you know, hiros photos and video, but the real magic often is photographmetry. That's the process that takes a whole bunch of overlapping photos and turns them into well a detailed three D model, orthographic areals like true top down maps and even contour lines. And from that you generate a whole range of super useful deliverables.
Speaker 1: Okay, walk us through some examples. What are these deliverables and how do people actually use them?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: So you can get precise two D and three D concept overlays. You merge the drone images with your plans or three D models. Makes for really rich contextual visuals like the Badlands National Park plan or that highway station overlay we talked about. You also get detailed three D meshes. Those are basically services made of polygons and classified point clouds. That's where the software smartly figures out okay, that's a tree, that's grass, that's a building, right from the raw data points. The Clear Creek Canyon Bridge project used that for some really complex modeling.
Speaker 1: And what about for managing the project while it's ongoing.
Speaker 2: That's where things like construction analysis over the Internet come in. These cloud platforms let lots of different firms track progress, estimate quantities, measure slopes, all from the flight data, almost in real time. Think about calculating earthwork volumes for a site like Lions, Colorado. You can do that super accurately now, and photographmetry can spit out contour lines ready for CAD software. If a surveyor collects the data, it can even be survey grade accurate. Plus you get these high reds orthorrectified images, true plan view aerials, super detailed, perfect for coordination in software like blue Beam or your CAD program.
Speaker 1: I can totally see the value for measurements. But what about insights beyond just the physical shape of things?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, this is where it gets really interesting. Thermal maps they show you the heat signature of materials in real time. Imagine spotting exactly where an HVAC system is failing on a massive roof instantly, or tracing a pipeline leak from the air problems. That used to mean sending people in, maybe digging things up expensive sometimes dangerous, or plant health analysis using India VI sensors. Now mostly that's used in agriculture checking crops. But think about the potential for ecological work assessing how vegetation is recovering after say a restoration project, measuring its health and spread.
Speaker 1: That's incredible pinpointing hidden problems, even checking ecosystem health from the sky. And I know you mentioned time based comparisons saving companies millions. How does that.
Speaker 2: Work simply by reflying the exact same path over and over again. Companies monitor construction sites with incredible precision. They track progress, spot changes instantly, compare the as built reality against the plan that eighty eighth av open space project. They mentioned they track construction phases like that gave them a clear, quantifiable timeline.
Speaker 1: And speaking of visuals, photo matching that sounds like a huge help for presentations.
Speaker 2: Oh, it absolutely is. Photo matching means you take your proposed design, could be a rough sketch, a Photoshop image, a full three D model, and you precisely align it with a drone photo. It gives you unbelievably accurate context. Stakeholders can really see what the final thing will look like right there in its actual surround. The I ninety Interchange project in Billings, Montana showed that journey beautifully from two D CAD to three D SketchUp then merged perfectly into a real drone photo using Photoshop. Really compelling, and then.
Speaker 1: The really high end stuff. Drone videos with animations layered in must be complex, but wow they.
Speaker 2: Are complex, Yeah, but the results are stunning. It's basically merging your three D animations right into moving drone footage. Needs clever camera tracking, specialized software like after effects maya threads max, but the result you get this dynamic fly through that shows exactly how a design will look and feel in its environment. Something static image just can't capture.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's say you're listening and you're convinced. You're thinking, right, we need to get into this for our firm. Let's talk brass tacks, practicalities, costs, what does it take to get started right?
Speaker 2: Justifying the investment. Usually it starts with looking at the startup costs. The book estimates a baseline of around say fifteen thousand to sixteen thousand dollars. That typically gets you the drone itself, essential insurance, and some initial training. Now you want the more advanced software like Picks four D for the photogrammetry processing, maybe Loomion for really high end visuals, then yeah, that initial cost could push up towards twenty one five hundred dollars, maybe a bit more.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a decent chunk upfront, but what about ongoing costs year two, year three?
Speaker 2: That's the good news. The annual costs after that first year drop significantly, usually around forty four hundred forty five hundred dollars plus per year. That covers things like drone maintenance, keeping your licenses, current software subscriptions. So yeah, the initial hurdle is bigger, but operating it becomes much more manageable, and how.
Speaker 1: Do firms actually make this payoff? What are the smart ways to see a return on that investment.
Speaker 2: There are clear strategies. You can obviously just build drone services directly into your project scope and build for them or included in your proposals. It really highlights your firm's tech skills, gives you an edge over competitors, and it genuinely helps collaboration and saves money down the line, Like that thirty ninth Street Greenway project using the drone aerials in Bluebeam save them a ton of time and money coordination wise.
Speaker 1: And besides the dollars and cents, what about the other benefits the intangibles.
Speaker 2: Oh, those are huge too, Client admiration, client confidence. It really matters that City Thornton Justice Center project. They apparently won the job because they showed they could use drones effectively. It just gives you a clear competitive advantage in a crowded market, and importantly, it often less you start the design process earlier. You're not always waiting weeks for a traditional survey crew. That speed could be a massive differentiator.
Speaker 1: That definitely makes a strong case. But okay, with any tech like this, especially stuff that flies, training and permissions are obviously critical. What do people absolutely need to operate commercially right?
Speaker 2: The big one in the US is the FAA's Remote Pilot Certificate. Everyone calls it the Part one zero seven license. It involves maybe forty hours of studying the rules, air safety, weather, that kind of thing, than one hundred and fifty dollars exam and you have to renew it every two years to stay current. But the license is just the start. You absolutely need to budget time for software training, getting good with picks four D drone deploy that takes time, and maybe even more advanced stuff like RTK or GPS drones for super high accuracy and permissions. While getting authorization often doesn't cost money directly, the time it takes can be significant. Researching airspace, getting clients sign off, dealing with municipalities federal agencies. The book mentions what sixteen hours just for flights and Bedlands National Park, or eight hours near an airport and billings. It adds up. It's not trivial.
Speaker 1: So it's the license, the software skills and navigating the permissions mayze okay, So when you're actually choosing the gear, what drones come recommended. What features really matter for.
Speaker 2: That sweet spot of affordability and capability. The book points heavily to the Dji Phantom series like the Phantom four pro v two and the Mavic Pro series, maybe the Mavic two Pro great all rounders. If you need higher end capabilities, more payload options, then you look at the Inspire or Matrix series, And if you need that top tier GPS accuracy, there's the Dji Phantom Martik, but that's a bigger investment, like six thousand to ten thousand dollars. Maybe key features you absolutely need. Accurate hovering is crucial. Stability, especially in wind, quick responsiveness, A quality gimbal is non negotiable for smooth data, good camera four K is pretty standard now. Smart battery management is important too. You want decent flight times and definitely compatibility with third party apps for planning those automated flights. And something fascinating they mentioned is systems like Air Data UAV. They can actually attract the health of individual battery cells, tell you if one's degrading long before you'd notice. That's pretty critical for safety and reliability.
Speaker 1: It really sounds like a whole digital ecosystem supporting these flights. What are the must have apps and desktop software.
Speaker 2: You're spot on. The software is just as vital as the drunk itself. On your phone or tablet, you need flight planning and awareness apps like Airmap, sky Vector, maybe UAV Forecast for weather. Then your actual flight control apps like dji go or maybe lichy for smoother video shots in pre programmed paths. For the automated photogrammetry flights, apps like maps Made Easy, map Pilot, Picks four y Capture or drone deploy are standard, and even on demand insurance apps like VeriFly or SkyWatch can be really useful for specific jobs. Then back on the desktop, you need your photo editing Photoshop, usually video editing maybe Camtasia Premiere pro after effects. But the real heavy lifting for processing all that data, that's the robust photogrammetry software like Picks four D or metashape.
Speaker 1: They're the work horses, and I bet processing gigabytes of photos takes some serious computer horse power.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely. Your computer hardware makes a huge difference CPU GPU, the graphics card, RAM, fast storage. They all impact how quickly you can process these massive data sets. A good photogrammetry workstation you're probably starting around three thousand dollars maybe more, and you really want to max out the RAM and get top tear components. It's not somewhere you want to skim.
Speaker 1: Okay gear software license check. But what about the actual rules of the sky that feels like it's always changing. What's the basic legal framework and what are some tricky bits?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the FAA is part one of seven rules are the foundation in the US. Key things are keep the aircraft under fifty five pounds usually flying what's called Class G airspace uncontrolled airspace. Critically, always maintain visual line of site BOS. You have to be able to see the drone. No flying directly over people or moving traffic, and stay under four hundred feet above ground level. Generally, the LANC system is a big help now for getting automated authorization to fly near many airports, which simplifies things a lot, but it can still be a patchwork state and local rules get complicated. Often they can only really regulate takeoff and landing on their own property, not the airspace itself. Creates confusion, and then DJI has its own system geozones. It's like an internal geofence. It might restrict you flying your airports or sensitive sites, and you might need to go through an unlocking process with DJI, which often also requires you have the proper FAA authorization too.
Speaker 1: So lots to navigate legally. What about protecting yourself?
Speaker 2: Your business insurance? While the FAA doesn't strictly require it for Part one oh seven, general liability insurance is something every professional user should absolutely have. It's just smart business and documentation. Always always carry your remote pilot certificate, your drone registration papers, proof of insurance, and any specific FAA waivers or authorizations you have for that flight.
Speaker 1: Keep it all together right, and finally, boots on the ground or rather drone in the air. What are the best practices that flying mindset for staying safe and getting good results?
Speaker 2: It really starts before you even take off. Pre fly planning is everything. Know your mission, check your aerospace, check your weather, check your equipment, know your drone inside and out. Before you launch, always do a quick control check at low altitude maybe ten fifteen feet, make sure everything responds correctly. Be super aware of your flight area, use your app's altitude distance from home, but also maybe even physically mark boundaries on the ground if needed. Perspectives from the air can trick you. Maintaining that visual line of sight is absolutely key. That's why having a visual observer alongside the pirate is often recommended, especially for complex flights. If you lose sight, hover immediately, don't panic, have emergency procedures planned out. What do you do if you lose radio signal, if the drone starts to fly away, if the battery gets critically low. The book's advice is good, what in doubt, just hover, give yourself time to think. And while automated flights are amazing for consistency, for capturing data precisely, always be ready to take manual control instantly. You the pilot, are ultimately responsible.
Speaker 1: It's clear this tech is just reshaping so much of how we build, how we manage the world around us. But what's next, what's coming over the horizon? What should we be watching for in drone tech?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is maybe the most exciting bit. What's really cool is seeing drones just as these incredibly versatile platforms, right, they let us put all sorts of advanced sensors, light our thermal multi spectral NDVII into places we can never easily reach before, and way more cheaply and quickly. That adaptability is just unlocking totally new applications.
Speaker 1: Like what give us some examples of these ed juices.
Speaker 2: Okay, so beyond farming those NDVII sensors, people are looking at using them for really detailed ecological studies, identifying plant species automatically, and really complex habitats. We're seeing highly specialized drones doing things like gasleak detection, flying along pipelines, checking industrial sites. Super specialized and yet expensive. Those can be forty thousand dollars fifty thousand dollars plus. And then there are AI companies like a Copgeospatial. They can take aerial imagery, drone or otherwise and automatically generate super accurate cadline work like drawing all the curbs, building outlines, vegetation edges automatically. That could save firms incredible amounts of drafting time and money.
Speaker 1: Wow, automatic CAD generation, that's a huge efficiency leap. What else is pushing the envelope?
Speaker 2: Well, you're starting to see these automated drone boxes basically a charging station and hangar combo left on site. It allows operators potentially thousands of miles away to launch, fly, and recover a drone remotely, talk about pushing regulatory boundaries for autonomous flight, and of course delivery that's becoming real. Google, Amazon, They're already getting FA certifications to deliver packages.
Speaker 1: That's happening now, packages flying to the door. Wild What about security, public safety?
Speaker 2: Definitely, drones are becoming security tools, better home surveillance, police using them for reconnaissance, finding missing people in search and rescue. Huge potential there. And then the one that might seem furthest out, but maybe isn't. Passenger drones services like Uber Air. They're already doing test flights in places like Dallas, La Melbourne. It really hints the drone taxis might actually be a thing sooner than say, fully driverless cars on our roads. Oh, which makes you wonder, right, how are you going to prepare for that shift? How will cities adapt to this new layer of mobility.
Speaker 1: It's really clear from this whole conversation drones aren't just toys anymore, not just military gear. There are serious professional tools that are fundamentally transforming architecture, engineering, construction. They're boosting efficiency, giving us data we never had totally new ways to see and lies managed projects. It really is a paradigm shift.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the question becomes, if drones open up these new ways of seeing, these new capabilities, how will you use this technology. How can you leverage it to innovate, to solve problems in your own work, maybe even just in how you look at the world day to day. How does this new perspective change your approach?
Speaker 1: It really feels like we're right at the forefront of something incredible. So yeah, keep that remote pilot certificate up to date, keep exploring the new software, the new hardware, share what you learn with others in the field, and honestly have some fun with it. It's an exciting time to be involved in this tech revolution.