Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of March tenth, we're continuing with A Man on the Inside, Season one, episode seven. It was called from Russian Hill with Love and in which Charles and Calvert go on a know Day Ferris Bueller Day, Ferris Bueller's day out adventure in San Francisco. They they somehow managed to fit in like a cruise on the Bay, a baseball game that they stay for like one out of.
Speaker 1: And how much must those tickets have cost?
Speaker 2: Never mind? Yeah, and just like we're on there together a baseball game, it starts in an hour, like the timing of it all. But whatever, yeah, don't think about that. No, And while at the same time, the case is falling apart because the cover has been blown, deities onto them, so it's building to a to a crescendo, which of course becaus the cliffhanger at the right.
Speaker 1: Finally we remember that we have a case, yes, exactly, you know, And Mark Evin Jackson finally says, wait a minute, what am I paying for now? We saw him.
Speaker 2: After he meets thirty days. It's been thirty days.
Speaker 1: Why weren't you asking after fifteen? You know? But whatever, and you know, so it looks like we're getting a resolution to the case next week. But meanwhile, it was I'll just let my husband sum it up. Part Way through the episode, he said, this is a depressing episode. It was just a lot of it. Let's philosophize about aging. Let's talk about my wife and her tragic decline, and you know, let's talk about my son and our broken relationship. And that reminds me about my daughter in a broken Yes, exactly. So it's just like if Mike Suore comes out with a book on aging after this, then all will be revealed. I think he just got into this and said, ooh interesting, right, this some interesting things to say about this. Let's just dwell on this for seven of our eight episodes, six maybe six yikes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. That confrontation between Calbert and his son was yes, youch ouch, yeah, and calvit's just like parents and kids, isn't that what he said?
Speaker 1: His parents and kids? Man, parents and kids and kids. And shortly thereafter the next scene he cuts to the two of them in an uber and Charles realizing who the solving the mystery in his head?
Speaker 2: Right, so does it have something to do with parents and kids?
Speaker 1: Man, parents and kids?
Speaker 2: Right? I hope it's not Calbert. He's such a nice man. Yes, I know.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, we're spending an awful lot of time with this dude that would generally suggest that he's guilty.
Speaker 2: Well, and also, like you know, Calbert decides that he's not going to move to Singapore with his son, yeah, because now he has friends here. Well his friend is Charles, and Charles is supposed to be moving out the next day, so right, Oh, and is also a fraud. But yeah, well I wanted to end with you know, solving the crime and someone we don't care about, and Charles is like, I'm going to stay. I like it here.
Speaker 1: That seems to be It's hard to see how there's a season two without that being there.
Speaker 2: Yes, he needs to stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although I guess he could go home and then season two could start with him coming back. But it seems like just set him up with a job to be security. They've been on Dedie's back to provide security. Let him be the security guy and we'll see if that's it.
Speaker 2: But I don't know it thought that.
Speaker 1: Whole thing of her, of Julie, like as his daughter, pulling him out of this place abruptly and using as the excuse he didn't love the people, right, that's kind of that's gonna our sting if that's right, and it's suspect it seems done necessarily, yeah, because he didn't seem to not love.
Speaker 2: The people right right.
Speaker 1: If they said that about Elliott, I guess maybe, but still, I mean, he seems like a cantankerous fellow.
Speaker 2: Leaning hard on that Elliott punched him. They really are.
Speaker 1: But it reminded me of like a mom getting our kid out of a daycare. You know, he didn't get along with the other children, and that one child punched him in the face. So we're just gonna go. We're just taking him out, and the daycare person is like, wait, wait, wait, no, there's paperwork, there's interviews, there's you know, we have to talk about this. No, no, I'm just pulling him today, right goodbye.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, so my mom, as you might have gathered, you know, very confident, you know, type a ambitious, you know, very oh my god, just like the dogs are, you know, very like she knows what she wants, she knows how to get it. I mean she's she's not at all mean, but she's you know, she just this is the way things need to be, and we're going to make sure they are. So when I was a kid, I took dance lessons and I was terrible, and you know, eventually it was like this is this is silly. We're not gonna keep doing this. But this dance teacher who ran the dance school, my mom was so intimidated by, like she's the only person I can think.
Speaker 3: Of in my entire life that my mom was like, I'm scared of her, and she just like wrote a note withdrawing me from the school and like slipped it in her mailbox in the dark.
Speaker 2: She was just like, I can't I can't face that one. She's like, I'm scared of her. It was it was a whole scene.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, I feel like my mom had some situations like that at various times that she could be very uh you know, I was. She didn't want to make conflict, but I was her, yeah project, and so she would get up the nerve.
Speaker 2: It's uh yeah, I mean I think they probably could have handled it better. Yeah, the withdrawal, but perhaps we'll see how that helped. I mean, but Charles didn't know about any of this right because no was off on his adventure with Calvert, so he had no idea until he came back that Julie was pulling him out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Very impressive operation though, that she had everything coordinated, that if Dede called the office, they the secretary knew that the assistant whenever she is her job, knew to give the which lie to give, and that even Emily, the real Emily had a screw right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had fake websites set up they had Yeah, they they covered their tracks.
Speaker 1: They did that was impressive and perhaps unrealistically done.
Speaker 2: And they're professionals.
Speaker 1: Yes. My husband was like, well, how did Emily get that script? And I said, well, the assistant must have sent it to her when it was clear there was going to be a problem, or maybe just because it had up to date information about him being pulled out, so it couldn't have been just something they gave her, said justin king.
Speaker 2: And they knew they were going to NAPA and there in a.
Speaker 1: State of signing her own name when the other girl wasn't there. So well, because she didn't know at that point he was not there. Wasn't it after he got punched though, so she didn't know it that?
Speaker 2: Oh maybe didn't she?
Speaker 1: I can't. I think it's just if you are not a professional operative, you don't think it all the way, so you would you know to like although she was very good at lying, but I guess she just never thought about her signature. Yeah, at any rate, she blew their She blew their cover and uh there was that. Uh parenting wise, Charles told that terrible story about his wife not remembering her favorite dish and only remembering the thing from when she was right, and you know that was very hard. But also the thing about here I present you with your favorite dish and the person saying no, I want apples and peanut but is.
Speaker 2: Very oh for sure, yes, every mom.
Speaker 1: Is going, yeah, well this story is tragic. But I have had that happen to me about twenty times.
Speaker 2: Yes, when they decide.
Speaker 1: Mom, I don't want this thing you just made because I demanded it. I just want a peanut butter.
Speaker 2: And they just decide that they absolutely love X Y Z and so you lay in a huge stockpile of it and then I hate it, Like what now I'm going to be eating all these granola bars or whatever. It is.
Speaker 1: So at both ends of life, you can I'm dealing with that apparently. Yike.
Speaker 2: Poor Charles, Poor Charles, poor Charles's wife too, because.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, yeah, we heard the story about how they met all and just uh it was really the whole The whole storyline with him and Calvert was very sweet and melancholy, but not often they had a that was very nice. I enjoyed watching all of that. That actor who's who's playing that character is very bright and they make an interesting contrast in human right. But there was a one line somewhere where somebody said, every great thing in your life, looking back on it feels like a mirror. And I've had that feeling as a parent, just in terms of how my family came together and how different things that looked like they were going to be the end of the world wound up transpiring and really does sort of amaze you on everything how things turn out. So they should need to bring over Charlie from Law, you know, from Lost, and say, look, man, you know things look darker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you never know, you never know.
Speaker 1: They might get there, right, But it's possible to take you to a baseball game.
Speaker 2: Either way.
Speaker 1: It's going to look like a Marica when you look bad, perhaps a darkness.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I anyway, so now we have one more left. What are we What are we thinking? Do you have any theories?
Speaker 1: I did not have a theory. And then I made this mistake of reading a Reddit review of this episode and somebody said, I've only watched this episode, I don't know how it ends, but this is what I think, and I was like, oh, yeah, so I won't share it because I didn't come up with it and because it kind of ruined. Yeah, although this person did not know it was not a spoiler. It was just their guests.
Speaker 2: But it's like it seemed a very plaus like a reasonable.
Speaker 1: Yes, bouncing off from parents and kids man parents. So we shall see if that is it. I will reveal this, okay, ones, But I don't know. I mean, I at one point thought I would like Susan to be the thief because she is so incredible.
Speaker 2: President Susan Terry.
Speaker 1: President Susan President. Yes, yes, yes, President Susan, Thief President Susan, but probably not. And she seems to be have have quite enough to do without that, right, And I don't think it's dudy. No, So she seemed she seemed genuinely flum mixed by the whole thing of what is going on with Charles, right, didn't she didn't seem like, oh my gosh, they're going to catch me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, like she's like, I'm catching I'm catching them because I'm looking out for my he is messing with I'm looking out for my seniors. I don't want anybody to mess with them. And of course we found out, as we predicted that she would turn down the corporate job because she loves her people.
Speaker 1: So yeah, although when you're talking about theft, maybe saying it's more rewarding to stay here was not.
Speaker 2: The yeah I gotta stay here where all the good jewels are.
Speaker 1: That didn't necessarily negate what this person was saying. But okay, we know what you mean, babe, we know what you mean. And so how will it? So do you have a theory?
Speaker 2: I don't really, I'm not good at predicting these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have more people that I would want it not to be. Yeah, maybe somebody just came in from came in from the stre Yeah, there we go. Somebody was walking round.
Speaker 2: Well, they don't seem to have very type security on as to who can come in and out. Yeah, you know, they don't even have like a person posted at the door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't have a door.
Speaker 2: I mean they do have like a sign in, but yeah, they're not very aggressive about like who are you and why are you here?
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah that's been noted before, right, So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We shall see. So it's the season finale, The spy who came in from the cold.
Speaker 1: Next Wednesday, Francisco, that's true.
Speaker 2: We will see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout round ups.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash Mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.