Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talking like the Back, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers defeat the Cleveland Guardians by a final score of seven to two. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase with you until ten o'clock on this beautiful Saturday night in Los Angeles. I know a little hot today, I know a little hot lately, but still the best city in America, Beautiful Los Angeles, and no better place to be than at Dodgers Stadium watching the Dodgers score six runs in the first inning against the Cleveland Guardians and their starting pitcher Gavin Williams. Tommy Edman, who was hitting fifth tonight, came up with the bases loaded and he had a two run double. It did not stopped there. Andy Pajs capped off the six run first st inning with a two run home run, and that was perfect to the Dodgers game plan of having a bullpen game where they used seven different pitchers tonight, starting with Ryan Brasier. And ending with Brent Honeywell, who only won his third major league game of his career. I could not believe that when I checked to see how many wins he had in his career, it was only his third and it was the first of this season, the first since early last year when he was pitching for the Padres. So I guess, as we do in football with offensive lineman roll call, let's do a bullpen roll call of the pitchers that got the Dodgers a seven to two win. Ryan Brasier, Michael Grove, Justin Robleski, Blake Trinen, Alex Vesia, Michael Kopek, and Brent Honeywell. Those are are your seven Dodger pitchers roll call that threw in the game tonight that helped the Dodgers secure a seven to two win over the Guardians. Mookie Betts continues to roll. He hit a solo home run tonight in the bottom of the fourth inning. He was on base in the first inning, part of three consecutive walks by Gavin Williams, when Tommy Edmund doubled two runs in, including Mookie. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from Mookie Betts.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean patter who was against didn't get out and score six. That's always going to be a good rest reciped winning game.
Speaker 4: Could you tell their start of the struggle in there with.
Speaker 5: His control first time?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: I mean going through it not didn't really pay much attention to it until the PitchCom got high. But you know he was still a pitcher two away from getting out of it.
Speaker 1: But we.
Speaker 3: When we stood firm.
Speaker 6: Sixteen runs since we came back, you know, just the hand injury twenty I.
Speaker 2: Think it's twenty three.
Speaker 3: Garb guys in twenty fourteen, you kind of hit the ground running since you came back.
Speaker 5: As does that surprise you?
Speaker 3: What all for?
Speaker 2: Shit?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 3: No, I don't care about none of that. As long as you win. Well, I guess that's all I care about. Again, like I've always said, I gotta do when it matters.
Speaker 4: Some of you guys come back to the hand injuries, to the powers of philoscopy.
Speaker 7: Come back though.
Speaker 2: That's why I sort of back in your mind.
Speaker 4: They want to make sure that that was still kind of better right off the back.
Speaker 3: Fee you No, absolutely not.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 3: Uh, I mean, we just wanted to make sure I was healthy and being the best.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Put the best Smookie out there and been doing okay so far. With the rotation as thin as it is, it is important to maybe take the heat off the pitching staff in general. Uh, women anying like that they started. Uh, it didn't matter if we were fully healthy. Man, we gotta Uh, anytime we can put together a beginning, it's gonna. Like I said, it'd be a good recipe to win, but especially with the short there, I mean, it's good to I mean, really, guess ahead. We still had to go and kind of go through the bullpen, but those of the cars were dope.
Speaker 5: Is there a conversation amongst you guys when I guess the offense kind of cools off like it has the last we'll say, a couple of games, and especially when you do have a damn you guys can get things going again.
Speaker 2: Is there a conversation amongst you guys?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean then we got like fifteen hits for four or five games in a row, so I can't really expect that to last. But you can't expect us to go out there and put in the work and do what it takes to win ball games. And so luckily we did today.
Speaker 2: Mookie Betts has been putting in work all season long since coming back from the injured list and missing six weeks after getting hit by a pitch on his left wrist. He is hitting three eleven with home runs twenty three RBIs, and he has scored fifteen times. Oh, by the way, he's hitting over three point eighty with runners in scoring position. And that's why I'm still a firm believer that Otani, who is on his way to becoming the first player in baseball history to hit fifty home runs and steal fifty bases, should be the National League MVP. But to me, Mookie Betts is still the MVP of the Dodgers. We saw how much they missed him while he was out for those six weeks. He comes back, He's not the leadoff hitter anymore. He says, okay, I'll hit second. He has thrived and embraced it. And when he came back, they said, or he actually acknowledged, you know what, shortstops not for me. I'm headed back to right field. It's time for Miguel Rojas to take over the rest of the way. And without Mooki Betts playing moving around, hitting at an MVP level before he got hurt, and did he got hurt? The Dodgers would not be in this position to be able to say they have a magic number of fifteen with only twenty games to go. Eight six six nine, eight, seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat Cleveland tonight seven to two. Let's go out to Huntington Beach. Rob, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing? Rob?
Speaker 6: Hello? David. Personally, I believe that Hotani, as gray as he is, he should be batting fourth. The Dodger lineup should be Dutch Freeman, Hernandez, Hotani, Smith, Munsey, Edmunds, Lux and Rojas. They should never Platune Munsey. He needs too many reps, too few games left in the season. He should be playing every day, and Hotani disappears in a lot of games he goes, and a lot of games. As grazy is, you should never be batten first. With twenty games left, the Dodgers are in jeopardy of losing the box and a home field advantage.
Speaker 2: They're not in jeopardy of losing the buy. There are three games ahead of the Brewers. No, if you will, you're spouting off a lot of things that's not accurate. Number one, It's worked out really well with Otani leading off. Number two, Are you trying to tell all of us you don't want Otani hitting in the top three so we get hit in the first inning and get more at bats than anybody else sitting four, five, or six. Number two, you just gave misinformation by saying they're in danger of losing the bye. Not only are they tied with the Phillies for the best record in the National League the top seed, but they are three games ahead of the Brewers in the lost column for the number two seed, which would still ensure them the first round. By I'm not saying, there's twenty games left in the season and they're playing pretty well and they're going to get back their two top pitchers.
Speaker 6: What what are you saying that hotan he would have more opportunities with men on base if he batted fourth.
Speaker 2: You know, but they or may not there. It's a fair argument, Rob, But if you were to tell me Otani hitting third, I might be more open to it than hitting fourth. I understand what you're saying. You want the big dog to eat and have more runners on base, But uh, for a guy that's stealing fifty bases. He's getting in scoring position for Freddy and Mookie. So it's worked out better than I imagine it working out.
Speaker 6: You have to concede that, Yes, that's true, but you go left right, left, right, left right. That's why Tani would be batt and fourth. You can put Hernande's third, and I.
Speaker 2: Don't want I don't want Hernandez hitting third. He strikes out too much well, and he does. He clogs the bases too. I don't want him hitting third. I don't want him having more at bats in the game than show.
Speaker 6: Hey, Otani, what about what about allowing Monkey to play every single He might he.
Speaker 2: Might work into that, but honestly, Rob, he has been basically playing virtually every day Keiky. Hernandez has only had one or two starts since Munsey's come back, and he played against the He was in the starting lineup against a lefty couple of days ago. All right, gotta run, Rob, Thank you. That was enough misinformation right there? Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, I'm all good with you calling in with different ideas, but don't try to convince us of things that aren't true. Like the Dodgers are in danger of losing a first round by I mentioned during the Clubhouse Show, the Dodgers gained a game on both San Diego and Arizona, so they're five games ahead of the Padres. They're six and a half games ahead of the Diamondbacks and own the tiebreaker. Their magic number is fifteen with twenty games to go. They are as much as everybody that covers this team wants to make you believe it Panic City at Dodger Stadium, It's really not the case. It really isn't now. If Tyler glass Now was not throwing the baseball, then I might be a little concerned. If Yamamoto was not starting on Tuesday, I would be even more concerned. And look, between now and the end of the regular season, they could have a setback, and then we might have a different conversation. But the Dodgers are in great position to be the number one or number two seed in the National League and have those five days off. And when you get those five days off, that's beneficial to glass Now and Yamamoto and Kershaw and everybody else that is on the shelf. Right now, let's go out to Lance who is at Dodger Stadium tonight. Hi, Lance, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hi, first time caller. I actually called probably ten years ago. The family's been Dodger fans for seventy five years. My dad used to go watch him in Brooklyn and I'm taking him to the game on Tuesday. Good friends with Laura and the chef Marito Queen.
Speaker 2: Oh, she's the best.
Speaker 7: To her and my daughter. She was in my daughter's wedding so well. Diehard Dodger fan, go to sixty games, seventy games a year, and even went and watched them play in Saint Louis. But my Clifton, I want to comment on the last caller. I totally agree with you that the Dodgers have had horrible luck with injuries and to their pigeon staff. But we're getting healthy at the right time, and I think we're going to make a good playoff run and this is our year. I just wanted to give you my comments and and appreciate everything you do. When I go to Milwaukee this year, I won't go down the slide. I'm gonna make that mistake.
Speaker 2: The slide to me today. Oh oh, Now, I appreciate it, Lance, and thank you for the phone call, and thanks for being big Dodger fans, and any friend of Lorn from Chef Merito is a friend of mine. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, I tried those Joe Kelly Tinga nachos. Those are solid Joe Kelly, I hate to admit it. He knows how to pitch, he knows how to talk, and he knows how to come up with good nacho recipes. And by the way, as I said last night, Joe Kelly still has eight more days to go on the injured list. When Joe Kelly returns, you are going to see vintage Joe Kelly. I've been watching his catch play out there. It's a different sound popping out of that catcher's mitt when he's throwing, and the way he's throwing is the way he was throwing for the Red Sox in twenty eighteen. There's gonna be a lot of apologies to me and Mariachi Joe when he returns. Trust me. Eight six six nine eighty seven two is the phone number. Taoscar Hernandez. It seemed like he was done for the season last year as he was walking out of the stadium with a walking boot on his left foot after being hit by a pitch. He did undergo CT scans. They came back negative. He did come back to Dodger Stadium without a walking boot. He was limping slightly, but he seemed to be in great spirits and very relieved that it wasn't worse. And Dave Roberts said, Taoscar Hernandez is not going on the IL and he plans to have him back in the starting lineup Monday or Tuesday against the Chicago Cubs. Here's what Taoscar Hernandez had to say earlier today at his locker.
Speaker 4: Ah, yeah, it's definitely better today. You know, naivel to well normal, but it's way better than last night. MRIs and CT scan we're negative. Thank god, it was nothing broke. Just take the day today, lose some on TIV tomorrow to see how it's going. Maybe Monday or Tuesday. Good back in the field. I thought it was worse, honestly when I got hit, and like after a couple hours, I feel like the pay wasn't going away. So today I was expecting really back moves, but thank got it. It was nothing too worry about it, and I'm gonna be ready.
Speaker 2: All right, there's ta Oscar Hernandez and his mere presence in the lineup behind the three MVPs this season with twenty eight home runs and eighty seven RBIs has been huge to help those three guys really make the picture. Have some pause that. Okay, you get through those three guys if one of them or two of them are on base. Now you have to deal with Taoscar Hernandez, who is having a great season and certainly should be considered for Comeback Player of the Year. Eight six, six, seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Guardians tonight seventy two. Ta Oscar's replacement, his little brother, Andy pa Hez, got the starting left field and he hit a two run home run in that six run first inning. Let's go out to Cammy. Who is that Dodgers stadium tonight? Hi? Cammy, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 8: How are you guys?
Speaker 2: We're doing great?
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 8: I was just fun to say that. Tonight was pretty electrifying game to watch, you know. Dot two run home run from pahes was really really cool, really good for him on his part, But I feel like Otani didn't really live up to the standards tonight in person like he usually does.
Speaker 2: Oh, Cammy, how many games have you been to this year? Cammy?
Speaker 5: Like seven?
Speaker 2: How many times has Otani delivered in those other games that you've been to?
Speaker 8: Sure, you're right, You're right, You're right. Maybe he's just off to night baseball.
Speaker 2: It's not. It's not the NBA where Lebron James is going to score thirty five and dish out ten assists every night. It's baseball. Yeah, he did almost hit a home run to left field. He just got underneath it. But I think Mookie Bets uh, I think Mookie Betts put on the show tonight, and so did Tommy Edmund definitely did.
Speaker 8: He definitely did great job tonight. Really really showed off tonight.
Speaker 2: Don't sleep on Mookie, CAMMI tell your friends in the car.
Speaker 1: You're sleeping on movie right now?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Than, why aren't you calling about MOOKI? Why are you calling about Otani?
Speaker 8: Because is a star player.
Speaker 2: And Mookie's not.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's got two rings.
Speaker 2: Mookie's got two rings. He's trying to get O'tani.
Speaker 6: His first Yeah, well, he's.
Speaker 2: Trying to get o'tani's his first. You know, that's how it goes, all right, Cammy, thanks for the phone call. Glad you had a great time tonight. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we continue more of your phone calls. And also we will check in with Jose Mota and get you some pitcher updates. Tyler Glass now Clayton Kershaw, Roostar graderol We'll let you know where they are in their recovery. So good things are coming for the Dodgers and their pitching staff. Tonight they defeat the Guardians by using seven different pitchers in a bullpen game, seven to two the final score. As we roll on on Dodger Talk right here on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seven e LA Sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 2: Too O pitch swang on well, hit to left, going back on to this Kwan, He's to the track, here's to the wall. It's gone home.
Speaker 9: Run Promookay his sixteen to the season Tama Dodgers wait at seven to two.
Speaker 2: Ah, you know, Tim whatever, it was happy to be in the saddle for that one A Mookie moment in the bottom of the fourth inning. Mookie Bets continues to roll for the Dodgers, no matter where he's hitting, no matter where he's playing, and the Dodgers defeat the Guardians seven to two tonight. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the dream, all right. The Dodgers, winning tonight, now have a five game lead on the Padres, six and a half games over the Arizona Diamondbacks. And if you're looking at the playoff picture, the Dodgers and Phillies are tied for the best record in the National League as it stands right now. If the postseason started tomorrow, If the regular season ended tonight and the Dodgers and Phillies were tied with the same record, the Phillies would get the number one seed because they owned the tiebreaker winning the season series over the Dodgers this year. So the Phillies, the number one seed, would play the winner of a Padres Diamondbacks wildcard series, and the Dodgers currently would play the winner of a Brewers Mets wild card series. That's right. The New York Metropolitans have overtaken the Atlanta Braves for the final National League wildcard spot with a four to nothing win against the Reds. They have won nine in a row, and America's dh JD. Martinez had a two run double to lead the way for the mets ninth consecutive victory. So that's how it lays out right now, if the Dodgers and Phillies finish with the same record, the Dodgers would be the number two seed. All right, we got that all settled. Now, let's head out to jose Mota.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Hosean Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota. The Dodgers bounced back with a seven to two win. I'm sure it certainly helps to score six runs when you're doing a bullpen game.
Speaker 5: Well, a great plan by the guys at home play, considering that they had the number of the Gavin Williams even last season. Will they faced them over in Cleveland late August, and they just did not allow them to go out there and brief guy that averages ninety seven miles an hour. Secondary pictures are just okay for the big league level. A very nice job and bouncing back and know that you cannot be helping a guy like this out with a big arm by spreading the zone and opening it up. And they forced them into the zone and something we haven't seen there with all the you know, all the knocking around the Dodgers have done in some of their latest wins, taking advantage of the watts for lounging innings and then forcing Pictures to make more mistakes. It was good to see that early today, it really was.
Speaker 2: They were passing the batons. Three consecutive walks set up Tommy Edmonds two run double in the first inning, and Andy piz Jose got a rare start since being called up in September because of ta Oscar being out number one. I think we're all relieved Taoscar the most that it is not a season ending injury to his left foot that he will be back in the lineup Monday or tuesday.
Speaker 5: Oh, he is so big. I had a chance to talk to him this morning. He sounded relieved. Obviously a good news for everybody around in to Oscar is a guy that, as we know, is the lineup gets longer and deeper. He's a big part of that. And obviously, you know we're talking about Andy Pius. This is a different version of Andy. Payus Dave say, for sure, you see the urgency Indi outfield, all the work he's been putting in before he got demoted, you know, a few weeks ago. It's just he played in the left field today that you said, that's gold club caliber and the jumps being on top of his feet, following the ball in trajectory quite well and taking those good routes and on top of that, all right, million is there? So Bord?
Speaker 2: All right, why don't we get Jose's phone settled there and we'll see if we could reconnect with him. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Guardian seventy two. It was a great baseball day here at Dodgers Stadium. I got to meet some fancy baseball people that I don't usually come in contact with. It was great to see John Schuerholds Junior, who is the son of the great GM of the Atlanta Braves dynasty in the nineties, John Schuerholds Senior. And I also got to meet the director of player personnel for the Chicago White Sox, Gene Watson, who says he listens as he is living here in Los Angeles, so appreciate that. And I also got to go down into the umpire room to meet this umpiring crew in all Italian umpiring crew here at Dodgers ste Phil Couzy who was on the off season show, Dan Bellino, Alex Toci and Tony Randazzo. It was great meeting the umpiring crew and they are all Italians, and Phil Couzy certainly a great one, and they did a great job again tonight. All right, let's try to reconnect with Jose Mota. Jose. Let's talk about Justin Robleski. He only went two innings, he did not give up a run, but it didn't seem like Dave Roberts was that happy with his outing.
Speaker 9: Dave Roberts wards the last couple of times you've seen were blessed on the mound. It's all about the fact that he's not ready yet. The stuff is there at times that there's some flashes, velocity is there, but you know, it's not just about throwing, man, it's about executing pitches and being able to control capts and at this point so far mechanically, I think there's some pieces missing to put it all together. We know the drive is there because this guy really wants a really bad, very smart, analytical kid, but certainty for a guy that we're blessed, I was hoping to see him go a little bit longer, honestly, just to go out there and give him a longer leach today. But Dave Roberts knows better than all of us when it comes down to how he wanted to manage his bullpen today. But for Roblesky, it comes down to the basics of pitching, not just velocity, but location, strike on strike too, and then the those thing two Dave is in this around baseball, he doesn't He does not make a lot of left ended hitters look bad, and that's a sign sometimes of sometimes people seeing the ball well off of his hand, and this ladder not have enough bite to put left ended hitters away who came into this game today hitting over three hundred and then only like four strakos and thirty eight bas which is something that you don't see very offera with somebody throwing that hard.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, thanks a lot for breaking it down. We will connect with you again tomorrow after the Dodgers have Jack Flaherty on the mound against the Cleveland Guardians.
Speaker 5: Black Jack Day, baby, Oh, I like that, Jose.
Speaker 2: Twenty one for the Dodgers tomorrow with Jack Flaherty on the mound. He's wearing number zero because Russell Westbrook is one of his favorite guys. So looking forward to Jack Flaherty on the mound for the Dodgers tomorrow. I mentioned Tyler glass Now. He did throw his bullpen session. I counted twenty five plus pitches in the bullpen and Dave Roberts said they were all fastballs. On Tuesday, when Yamamoto comes back off the il, glass Now is also going to have a big day. He's going to throw, as Dave Roberts characterized it, an aggressive bullpen on Tuesday where he's going to throw his entire pitch mix. So that's good news. And with the Dodgers using seven different relievers tonight, that may be a signal that they are going to activate Bruce Starr Graderol off the IL for a second time this season. Remember, Grattarol made a season debut three or four weeks ago. On his ninth pitch, he felt something in his hamstring and it looked like he may have blown out his right hand string, but it turned out it was only a Grade one hand string strain and I ran into the Bazuka as he was coming back down the elevator with his luggage at Dodgers Stadium, and he is going to be activated, if not tomorrow, then on Monday for the CUB Series. So that is going to be a big boost for this Dodger bullpen to have Bruce Star Gretterol back there and at the perfect timing because a lot of these guys have been used a lot this season. They need a fresh arm that is as good as Bruce Star Grattarol down there. And like I mentioned, Joe Kelly, he has thrown that tinga down there. He is going to come back better than ever, trust me. All right, that'll do it for us on Dodger talk tonight tomorrow. As Jose mentioned, Jack Flaherty will be on the mound to try to win the series. He's eleven and six this season with an ERA of three to zero one, going up against Tanner Bibbi who's eleven and six with an ERA of three point fifty six. Morongoo. Dodgers on deck is at noon tomorrow with first pitch at one ten, And as you saw last night, it's vital for the Dodgers to get an early lead so they do not have to see the great relievers, the high leverage relievers that Steven Vote has in his bullpen, led by the closer and Manuel Classe who earned his forty second save of the season last night. So if the Dodgers have a lead going into the later innings tomorrow afternoon, there's a good chance they're going to win it. So looking for the series win, and the Dodgers are in great position as their magic number to clinch the NL last is at fifteen with only twenty games to go after a seven to two win tonight over the Guardians. Thanks to Colin Yee, thanks to Dwayne McDonald, and thanks to you for listening in case you missed any of the show. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Have a great rest of your night. We'll talk to you tomorrow. See them sure play