Speaker 1: Big Food and be on with Cliff and Bobo. These guys are you favorites, So like to say subscribe and raid.
Speaker 2: It five star and me.
Speaker 1: Greatest on Yesterday and listening watching Lin always keep its watching. And now you're hosts Cliff Berrickman and James Bubo Fay. Hey, Bobo, this is a special episode. We have brought back doctor Jeff Meldrim for our two hundredth episode. He was our guest on our one hundredth episode, so we figured every one hundred episodes we can subject doctor Meldrim to Cliff and Bobo for an hour or so. So Jeff, thank you very very much for coming back for our second one hundredth episode, our two hundredth episode. We really appreciate your time.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm honored, privileged. Yeah, thank you very much for the invitation.
Speaker 1: Hey, Jeff cool, Well, you know, I've got a wholelistic questions and things we can talk about, and if there's anything you want to talk about, of course we want you to jump into. But you know, you've become the scientific figurehead in a lot of ways, in the same way that doctor Krantz was for so long, and you knew doctor Krantz, of course, but he was wasn't he as an osteologist. Wasn't his specialty bones.
Speaker 3: He was a classic physical anthropologist, and so that included a number of disciplines that he published in regularly. He was a paleoanthropologist, so he worked with the both the discovery of and identification and analysis of fossil hominin bones, skeletal remains, and so also as a classical physical anthropologist, I'm sure he did teach the Human Osteology course, which is an in depth treatment of the skeletal system of the human species and for both evolutionary but also archaeological objectives. He was also very talented anatomist and applied that talent to forensic reconstructions of crania from partial remains. So his Gigantopitheicis skull is an example of that. He also did, you know, the only kind of working model of what meganthropists might have looked like based on its very large and robust mandible remains. So based on the correlation of form and function, he could take a few bits and estimate what the remainder of the skull may have looked like. And I think he you know, exhibited some real talent and insight in that respect. He was kind of a renaissance man in many ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, almost like a generalist in a way, it sounds like. And the reason I thought he was an osteologist is because several of the people I've met of my own age group who took classes from him apparently all took osteology classes.
Speaker 3: Sure, that's a pretty standard fair in an anthropological curriculum.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, now you brought up meganthropists, of course, and I want to touch base on that in a little while. But now contrasts that with your own field of study, because you know, doctor Krantz really laid a foundation for all scientists who are going to come after him. And right now you're standing on that shoulder, on those set of shoulders. But you've been able to have been able to expand on what doctor Krantz did because of your own specified study area.
Speaker 2: So how do you differ exactly?
Speaker 3: Well, I came at physical anthropology from a slightly different perspective. At the time I entered into Grat graduate school, there was rather a glut of anthropologists and or, at least maybe better way to say, it was a dearth of openings for employment and at in academic positions, and so one an alternate pathway. Instead of the classical anthropological degree that included the disciplines the subdisciplines of archaeology, social, cultural linguistics, and physical I instead was a cohort at an institution where physical anthropologists had been recruited into departments of anatomy at medical schools to teach human gross anatomy in the health professions programs in medical school, physical therapy school, and so forth. And so my degree was actually an anatomical sciences So rather than having with an emphasis with an emphasis in physical anthropology, so rather than having the classic for sub discipline anthropological training, which would really better suit me for employment in an anthropology department, I got this degree which then afforded me the opportunity to teach human gross anatomy regional gross anatomy at the graduate level in medical schools and there. Like I said, there were programs like that that were popping up in various places, and Sunny Stonybrook was one, Duke was one where I did a post doc, and others Johns Hopkins, UCLA and other schools. But anyway, so it was a little different. So I basically had the first two years of medical school elbow to elbow with one hundred and twenty medical students. You know, I think there were six of us in my cohort of anthropology students. And when then subsequently, as those medical students would go into more and more clinical courses, we would go into classes in evolutionary biology, in osteology, in comparative primate anatomy, and so forth, and so more of the basic sciences that touched on anthropology and ecology and evolution. And so it was a great experience. I mean, it was really it was a tough program though. I mean, of the six, I think only two of us completed the program.
Speaker 1: What was it around this time that you became interested in bipedalism and the anatomy of feet or it sounds at some point or another you kind of zeroed in on those particular aspects.
Speaker 3: You're right, No, you're absolutely right, And in fact, that's what motivated me to go to this particular program. The faculty there had published this seminal work called the Locomotive Anatomy of Austrolopithicus a forensis that was published in the American Journal of physical anthropology, and it was just a quite exhaustive treatment of the skeletal remains attributed to this early bipedal hominin. And it was that, you know, that that latent interest in bipedalism, which was probably initially seeded by the interest in Bigfoot, you know, another bipedal primate, that that motivated me to pursue that. And you know, as you go along, your opportunities across your path that that afford the chance to kind of branch out a little bit and do some different things as well. And so I mean along the way, for example, I got interested in locomotive behavior. You're in primates, both living and fossil, much more broadly than just human bipedalism actually, and I would note that it's a kind of a tight not a closed shop, but it's a it's a narrow niche because of the rarity of hominine fossils. So really, unless your professor was actually had access to the to the fossil sites and was participating in the discovery of new material, you rarely had the chance to do any of the initial examination, analysis, and so forth study of those fossils. So I had to kind of come at bipedalism from from the side door, you know, through through the mud room and back into the up the hallway. And so I was actually my doctoral dissertation was on terrestrial adaptations in in in monkeys, in African monkeys and looking at adaptations to terrestrial quadrupedalism, and then I could compare and contrast that from you know, from a more theoretical practical perspective with bipedalism. And it was actually a very effective way because those features that were held in common were those that were common to walking on the ground versus clamoring and climbing in the trees. And then those that were distinctive between bipeds and quadrupeds were those features that were unique to the adaptations for walking on two legs. So anyway, so along the way I dabbled in I got interested in South American primate evolution because of the again the opportunity of working with my mentor in the field, and then on another occasion, when I was doing a post doc at Duke, the opportunity to dabble in some DNA sequencing and approaching the reconstruction of the phylogeny or family tree in this case South American monkeys by way of looking at the genes in living primates was another. I mean, that was a very different departure for me, But one I wasn't going to say no to my mentor, and two it was a great opportunity to learn a technique that, as it turns out, I didn't end up pursuing that further, but it placed me in a very good position to, from a more informed stance, be able to evaluate the publications of the studies that others were doing in an area that it was still of real interest to me. That was the evolution of South American primates as an adaptive radiation. So you know, principles of evolution stribology that have been applicable to a variety of different species in different continents and so on. So it's all it's all good.
Speaker 1: So since he specialized somewhat in locomotive adaptations and primates in general, that would explain why maybe you picked up the idea of the midfoot flexibility and Krantz noticed it but didn't put the terms on it per se, I think.
Speaker 3: Right well, and he didn't characterize the features correctly, and that was you know, a bit of a misdirection unfortunately. But if you look in his book Bigfootprints or the Evidence of bigfoot Sasquatch with the renamed second edition, you know there's a diagram in there where he tries to account for that mid tarsal pressure ridge. He didn't, of course, he didn't recognize it as a mid tarsal pressure ridge. He recognized it as a pressure ridge, but tried to explain it as you know, a push off from the foe foot of a very flat a very flat foot. But he did not eliminate the the existence of an arch entirely. He he and and this is why he had to hypothesize that the toes were very short. You know, our our toes have shortened remarkably by comparison to chimpanzees and gorillas, and even in comparison to the intermediate state, the intermediate links found in some early bipedal hominins like the Australia Pithesenes, which still had rather long and somewhat curved pedal digits foot digits of their feet toes.
Speaker 4: Jeff, excuse me, what about those tribes that have never worn shoes? And you say, those guys are those big, gnarly you know, spread feet and toes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they still have have very healthy.
Speaker 2: Arches though to leg so the tow short no.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's I mean it's they appear to be a bit longer because they are a little more extended and splayed, perhaps, whereas our toes are so compressed from shoe wear. And you know, typically most modern shoe wearing humans, their little toe is is curled on its side. Now, thankfully, shoe wear these days is more sensible than it was even fifty years ago. You know, the point he showed toed dress shoes and so forth, very confining footwear. But and even you know, cowboy boots, there's a little bit of accommodation there because the boot that has a pointed toe is usually a longer toe. I mean, it was a longer toes so you could keep it in your stirrup. Basically, it was the strategy nowadays that you know, these these fancy fashionable dress shoes have really law toes and the pointed toes of the shoe, the pointed tips of which extend out beyond and so they don't know the toes aren't crushed into that little conical tip. But nevertheless, no, it's interesting because when the Victorian era physical anthropologists struck out to study all the various ethnic diversity that was out there, they thought that they would find these poor, unshod native tribes would display very poor foot hygiene, foot conditions, that they would have fallen arches, that they would have all kinds of ailments of the joints and so forth, because they didn't have the benefit of Western supportive footwear. And of course what they found was just the opposite. That the human foot responded very well, and the arches were healthy and were high, the toes were splayed, the pads pointed down towards the ground like they were supposed to. They were very much fewer foot ailments amongst these barefoot tribal peoples than there were amongst the Western Europeans. So in any case, so Grover was his argument was that Sasquatch had even shorter toes, which kind of fed into this image that.
Speaker 2: Was the result.
Speaker 3: Of the Patterson Gimlin film site footprint casts that where the toes looked kind of like peas in the pod. This is why not to digress too far, but this is why Renee to Hinden had such trouble with the tracks from the Blues is because these individuals had sometimes less soul pad extending up under the toes, as is a variable trait in human populations as well. So the toes, in Rene's words, looked like sausages, and he used that as a very disparaging description, these fake sausage toes.
Speaker 2: Nobody likes the sausage party, that's.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, a bunch of Vienna sausages. When Grover modeled the human or the sasquatch foot, then he envisioned with even greater mass, there would be more bending stresses on these toes as they walked and pushed off, and so the toes would naturally be even shorter than in the human foot relative to foot length.
Speaker 1: And that's because he was using the human foot model of pushing off at the heads of the metatarsals and the toes as opposed to the entire fore part of the.
Speaker 3: Foot exactly exactly, you know. And so when this first, you know, first, it kind of came to mind as I was looking at some of these blue mountain tracks which had fairly long toes and the footprints that I examined at five points, I've drawn attention to that one example where the toes have curled remarkably as they flexed, gripping the mud as it slid, with mud extruding up between the toes. But you get the profile of the first and second toe, and that little toe on that fourteen and a half inch ish foot is as long as my pinky finger, and that's pretty, you know. So imagine toes on that foot that are as long as my fingers on my hand, and combine that with, you know, the musculature of the lower extremity and something as big as this creature probably was, and that's a powerful, grasping, prehensile foot. So then the other thing that kind of got it going was there were two other things. One was looking at the Bosbird cripplefoot, because you know, Grover had actually attempted to do a skeletal construction or inferential reconstructure outlining on that diagram and on actually etching on the physical cast his interpretation of the of the foot, and he had the toes very short. But as I looked at more details of the flection creases and so forth, and where the joints would be based on the contours of the outline of the foot, it didn't work. It didn't work. You had to have a toe that was much much longer. And then that combined with those individuals, particularly some of the examples on the Blue Creek Mountain trackway that had a very decided flection crease across the ball of the foot, this split ball that has gotten you know, various I've actually got this old diagram that was drawn by Ivan Sanderson where he tried to interpret and I should publish it as just a short article because it's of such interesting historical significance. I think as these investigators tried to grapple with this otherwise inexplicable anatomical characteristic. But I mean, if you look at your own at the palm of your hand you have, and you flex your fingers just a little bit at the knuckle, you see it throws up a crease across the palm of your hand where the tissue of the palm extends beyond that joint up under the proximal filangies the first bones in your fingers. Well, in the sasquatch tracks as well as in human footprints as well human feet there's evidence of that of an extension of that soulpad to varying degrees up underneath that first bone. In some individuals it goes almost up to that first interfalangeal joint. Well, when those toes flex, then they create a crease right across the soul at the mid ball at the heads of the metatarsals as they join the digits where your knuckles the corresponding position of where your knuckles are in your hand. So in the toes flex, it throws up a crease just like that. And in fact, if you go and look at your birth certificate, if you have an inked footprint, you'll find that you, like almost every human baby has that flexion crease on its foot when they're born. But as the arch develops, as the infant starts to walk, that soulpad fills out some more with more connective tissue and less baby fat, and you get an elaboration of the connective tissue under the ball of the foot at that metatarsal falangel joint, and it fills out, and so in most people it pretty much disappears.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: God, I was in a store or something.
Speaker 1: I remember I was standing next to the sky or whatever, and I think we exchanged a few words or whatever, and I noticed that he had a tattoo of these two feet on his arms. And I looked at him and go, well, those aren't human. Those are clearly said, so you're into sasquatches. And he goes, no, those are my infants. Those are my baby's feet. And he wasn't super happy with me, and he didn't exchange many more words after that either. So but to your point, though, and actually doctor Krantz made that same point in this book now that i'm thinking of it.
Speaker 3: About the split ball.
Speaker 1: No, No, about specifically how infant human feet probably more strongly resemble sasquatch feet.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I think there was talking about the proportions too, particularly. I'll have to go back and look in a long time since I've read that, And every time I go back and reread, I discover something else he said that I've since forgotten.
Speaker 4: But David Ellis's baby footprint, you authenticated that, right, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Well, I would never claim to authenticate, but I mean it. I'm impressed foremost by the huge heel. It's got an enormous heel and well developed heel pad already which is not typical of the most human babies, and so that that seems quite interesting in itself. So I think there's a really good possibility. Yeah, that's a good example. We have others in the collection. I have some of the the little feet that Paul Freeman investigated that we're well now. Now the prevenience is little clear to me because I originally thought that it was at the at d Duck Springs and was found just just prior to the shooting of that footage there. But now I'm told to know it was a different it was an earlier segment.
Speaker 2: That's a different one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: In fact, that that footage right before the most common version of the Freeman footage is out now that shows those footprints in the ground that you're referring to. I believe I've successfully identified those as those same juvenile prints that you're speaking of that were cast on Gifford Peak. I believe it's called Gifford Peak in the previous April if I remember correctly, by the shape of the casts in the ground drawing, you know, with the redit I look looking at the copies that I have, you can identify them as Oh, those are the same individuals those are the actually those are the same casts. So that was actually from Gifford Peak the previous ninety two I think in April, I remember correctly.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, all right, Well that's good to know because with all the you know, with all the discussion about the subject of the Freeman video scooping up an infant and in the parting shots there, I had often wondered if if those were the tracks of the infant that he had just taken note of prior to going around to the other side of the of the pond there.
Speaker 1: But definitely could be. But the videos from a few months earlier, so.
Speaker 3: Right, And you're absolutely right. I mean, that's when I saw that video and realized that they were that he had taken casts. That was the first thing I did, is it got the cast out and compared to the video, and you're you're absolutely right, they are in fact from that sequence, which is always nice to establish, you know, to have documentation of the footprints in the ground and swill as the casts resulting casts.
Speaker 1: So well, speaking of anatomy, I thought, I thought we could go down a couple other rabbit holes here. Let's talk about handprints for a minute and Sasquatch handprints, of course a different than Sasquatch hands are different than humans in a lot of ways. Shorter, stubby, your looking fingers, because the webbing is extended, the thumb is in a different position. It doesn't flex across the palm like ours. It goes more directly into the ground. Because of these differences, what behavioral differences can we infer?
Speaker 3: That's a great point because you know, this often comes up when people are suggesting that the Sasquatch are extremely intelligent. You know, they must be in order to avoid us. And then of course there are others who appeal to other types of experiences to suggest that there's something else going on that would indicate a higher level of mental ability, if not human. But they're not quote just aids.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, let's since you open the intelligence thing and we're going to be talking about the hands, let's also throw in the cranium size and shape into this discussion so we can have a more well rounded discussion about this, please.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, in that regard not being privy to first hand visual observations of Sasquatch cranial proportions, you know, I can't say a lot, but I've come to a point where I'm absolutely convinced about the credibility of the Patterson Gimlin film, and as such, that is admittedly a sample of one, but nevertheless it is a sasquatch. And what can we learn from looking at it? And one of the things that just blows me away is when you take a robust australopithesene like paranthropists paranthropist boise eye, which existed in East Africa about to one point eight million two, about eight hundred thousand years ago in the known fossil record anyway, and it stood about five to five and a half feet tall. Was robust. When we say robust austrolipithesenes, we're talking about their facial cranial adaptations, these heavy jaws, extremely enlarged molars and premolars and reduced canines for a more side freeing up a side to side what they call the phase two of the chewing cycle, the grinding aspect, with very very thick enamel and very puffy rounded cusps and crusts on the teeth, so indicating indicative of a diet of very tough and very hard items. Okay, So anyway, if you take the we have remarkably complete examples of crania of this species. And you take one of those and just scale it to the same absolute size as Patty and put it up next to her bust, and sure enough, every single bony landmark from the top of the head to the receding chin on the jaw blinds up. Now, you know, that's that's no small point because the you know, the facial proportions on this thing, this robust astrolopithesene, are really remarkable. They are an extreme specialization for this what we call a dual fagius diet dural meaning as you might expect, like from durabol, a very tough, unyielding diet. And so you know, some some have compared these robust austerlopithesenes to quizin arts. They can, you know, really grind up and handle all kinds of food ite and so it's it's an extreme adaptation with very deep jaws with very flaring angles to the to the mandible, a very prominent cheekbones that that flare forward and why to provide attachment for the chewing muscles on the side, the massi muscles that it even has a bit of a crest on its skulled for increased attachment of the anterior fibers of the temporalis muscle, which is the second of the two large, very large principal chewing muscles, the temporalis and the mass anyway, so point for point, I mean it's not just a queer coincidence. I mean that correlation suggests that the sasquatch has a similar type of diet and has those same extreme craniofacial adaptations.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo will be right back after these messages. Yeah, because the anatomy reflects behavior in some way, I mean, yeah, it has to of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course it does. I mean sometimes there are lags, sometimes there are things that aren't really tightly correlated with the current behavior, but it's pretty lockstep. I mean, this is how paleoanthropologists go about reconstructing the anatomy and behavior in fur behavior for these extinct species is by drawing analogy to the same correlations that exist in other living species. And so one of the interesting correlations to this, as I mentioned, the reduced canines that allows that side to side grinding. Is it it interesting that the most credible sightings of sasquatch, where the observer has been privileged to see the teeth from a gaping smile or an open mouth, there's usually an absence of projecting canines like you would see in a bear or in a gorilla or an orangutan, you know, And so that correlates with the you know, the fact that that that most witnesses who do see the teeth comment on the squared off human like appearance of the teeth without fang like canines projecting. That is exactly the anatomy that would be correlated with the facial skeletal adaptations and proportions that that are seemed to be a present.
Speaker 2: So that's interesting.
Speaker 3: So in the same way we go from that then say to the tools. Oh, well, I guess we were talking about get off on a different branch. We were talking about the intelligence. And so if you do that same correlation, that same alignment of the skull, it is the correlation is valid not only for the facial skeleton, but for the cranium as well that houses the brain. And rather than having a massive globular spherical cranium to accommodate a human proportioned brain. It looks just like the robust australopithesene in that regard as well. And these robust australopithesenes were barely you know, bipedal gorillas or gyms in that regard. Their brain was maybe fifty cubic centimeters ccs bigger than that for a chimpanzee. So you know, sasquatch would have an absolutely largeranium because of its more gigantic size. But nevertheless, the proportion of brain to body mass would be the same. The encephalization quotient, you know, when you take a ratio of brain size to body mass, would be on par with that of the known grade apes or early hominins like the robust australopitheesenes, which were just you know, a half step half notch greater. So then go back to the hand question again, and you pointed out some of the distinctions. I mean, the limited record we have of hand prints and casts thereof seem to consistently indicate a hand that lacks the adaptations associated with opposability, with that potential for fine precision grip like you use when you hold a pin or pick up a needle. You know, that requires the action of opposition, bringing the pads of the thumb in direct opposition to the pads of the other digits, particularly the index finger. Obviously, now those movements, those fine, finely controlled movements, have selected four specializations of the muscles at the base of the thumb which give that thumb kind of a drumstick looking appearance. That's called the theen r pad or the theenar muscles, And that feature seems to be uniformly absent from the sasquatch and in fact, instead of the thumb being set at a ninety degree rotation to the other digits. So if you look at your hand right now, you flex your fingers, they cross your palm, but your thumb is facing ninety degrees across your palm. So when you flex your fingers, it doesn't flex your thumb. It does not move in the same orientation that your other fingers does. It crosses over the palm at a right angle. And so that set sort of predisposes the thumb for this opposition positioning. Well, the sasquatch thumb much more like an ape, gorilla, or chim the thumb isn't rotated nearly so much, and so when the thumb flex is, it really moves in parallel to the other digits, and since it doesn't have the adaptations for that precision grip, you'll notice a flattening of the palm and a lack of the enlargement of that drumstick appearance. Those the in are muscles. Now, isn't it interesting because the hand lacks the very features that we associate with precision grip, with fine grip, which we infer as essential to the evolution of tool use, of the manufacture of stone tools, for example, or other manual activities associated with other sorts of tool use, with the use of needle and thread, or you know balls or scrapers, Well, scrapers are more power grip. And the correlation being is witnesses don't see sasquatch doing or doing those types of behaviors or utilizing those tools. Nor do we find an archaeological record in North America that is attributed to Sasquatch. I mean, they're certainly not making the arrowhead points that we find in Native American as a result of Native American activities.
Speaker 2: So it's just it's really.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's hard to convey in a brief you know, expose a the depth of correlation and consistency that that is present here when when you ask the right questions and look for the right evident and the things are remarkably coherent and have you know, provide examples that span at least a half a century and many from a time when a lot of these types of things were only in their early stages of understanding or development in the thinking of anthropologists of the time. And yet someone allegedly hoaxed all these things, you know, left this trail of breadcrumbs that is so remarkably coherent but actually has anticipated what we now understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, then I guess we're underestimating the hoaxer is having such foresighted anthropological models in the future.
Speaker 2: Right exactly.
Speaker 3: It's just I mean, this is what really this way of thinking, in addition to so much other aspects of the evidence, but this way of thinking is what absolutely converted me, convinced me, if you will convinced me a better word, I guess of the Patterson Gimlin film when you look at it and break it down, some of the odd combinations of traits that actually anticipated current conventional wisdom, but which at the time in nineteen sixty seven were counterintuitive to what was considered conventional wisdom and at the risk of being redundant. But it's such a prime example that bears repetition the writings of John Napier, who was a bonafide primatologist an anatomist. He was a physician and a trained anatomist. And it's interesting that it's those since we started off talking about anatomy, that tend to have a more open mind to some of that anatomical evidence. I guess it comes through the appreciation of the significance of that evidence due to the training and experience. But Napier was very focused on the footprints, and in his book, which you know, had a lot of negative tones or observations, he still the final bottom line was he was convinced there was something out there that sasquatch, something was leaving footprints, and therefore sasquatch must exist. What exactly it was he was able to conclusively state. But when it came to the Patterson Gillen film, he was quite negative, not quite negative. He had a negative opinion. He did not he could not endorse it. And yet he was forthright enough to acknowledge. He really couldn't offer a good rationale for that rejection, but he said, when he saw that figure on the film, from the waist up it looked essentially like an ape, and yet from the waist down it had long legs like a human or a hominin.
Speaker 2: And a late homonym.
Speaker 3: And he said he just could not conceive of such a mosaic, such a hybrid of structure occurring in nature. Because so many anthropologists of that time it was kind of a all or none that the human condition just emerged in its complete, perfected form, if you will. And so isn't it interesting? Though, because shortly after that the publication of that book, which was in the early seventies seventy two, I think in the mid to later seventies, was kind of considered by some to be the golden age of anthropology, with the discoveries of Australopithegus a Forensis and Lucy and sort of the first real glimpse beyond going back to the very beginnings of the emergence of hominin bipedalism, it was thought at that time, and so for the first time we had much more complete hip bones. The pelvies, we had the thigh bones, the femera that we had knees and so forth, and associated with the crania of these australopithesenes. And the statements to the popular press were, isn't this interesting? From the waist up they look essentially like chimpanzees, but from the waist down they look like little Harry humans.
Speaker 2: Well wait a.
Speaker 3: Minute, that was the very lynchpin that Napier proposed to negate or to reject the Patterson Gimblin film. And yet it anticipated those subsequent discoveries that bore out that otherwise inconceivable a nation of trades, and that interesting.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back after these messages. Well, let's talk about some of the other anatomy like the pelvis, for example, and and mid the bent knee gate and that sort of thing of the PG film. And now the narrowing of the hips. It has to have something to do with center of gravity, I would imagine for such a massive biped kind of otherwise it'd be teeter tottering back and forth and whatnot. And does that also probably is where the more inlined inline trackways. The lack of straddle in the trackways probably comes from, I'm guessing, is the center of gravity issue. Let's address that and talk about that a little bit and how that ties into like the bent knee gate as a shock absorber sort of thing, and the high leg lift in the swing phase of the gates and things.
Speaker 3: Sure, okay, so let's start with the pelvis then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot there. I'm sorry I throw so much at you once.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll just work our way down the limb. And the pelvis has gotten a lot of a lot of sort of misdirection, miss misinformation. The tendency has always been to compare us to our closest neighbors and assume then that the intermediate taxa were somehow also intermediate in in anatomy. And so the chimp has this very modified pelvis with these high blades of the ilium, the you know, the hip bones essentially the up on the ridges of the hips, not the hip joint. But in a chimp, they are are elongated, tall and still very narrow, but they're very tall, and they face front to back so that the muscles, the gluteal muscles that attach on the back of those blades are acting simply as retractors of the hip. They extend and extenders of the hip. So when you're climbing up a tree, or when you're walking, you know on all fours, you don't worried about balance. Then they weren't to draw the hip back, draw the thigh back as the hip is extended and you're walking forward, all right. So the thought was then that that had to be modified in order to become bipeedle. Well, as it turns out now, which it should have been self evident, it really was, but sometimes it just got lost. Gymps have been evolving over the same period of time since the divergence from a last shared common ancestor maybe in different ways that they have been involving, and they have evolved these remarkable specializations for arm hanging. They've experienced a shortening of the lower back, the lumbar spine, and this elongation of these of these hip bones, and obviously the greater emphasis on the forelimbs, so their forelimbs are actually longer than their hind limbs. And so but now as we as the fossil record, you have to remember that chips and guerrillas are themselves relic populations that do not reflect the totality of ape evolution. We have over well over one hundred different species of extinct eight that have been discovered in the past half century, and they don't often get as much press, you know, as the human ancestors. But one thing that has come out of that is that some of these also sort of dabbled in bipedalism, maybe not a fully committed bipedalism on the ground, but because they spent time climbing and standing and reaching overhead for resources, their bodies with that tailless torso and had a modified, more generalized pelvis that was less like a chimp than it was similar to our own. And so the the emergence of the bipedal hominins that then committed to walking on the ground really probably really didn't have to change their pelvis all that much. Now, as far as narrowing, the only there really hasn't been a trajectory of narrowing so much as it's it's the lack of sexual dimorphism, the lack of differences between the genders that we see in humans, which is entirely the result of our big brains a female pelvis has to have a broader outlet in order to accommodate a human infant with a relatively large brain by comparison to an ep like a chimper gorilla. This is why some of the statements that were made about the PG film by the experts of the time are so inane and so silly in hindsight.
Speaker 2: They should have.
Speaker 3: Been recognized as such at the time. But one of the commentators made the remark, isn't it silly, you know, the hoaxers. It's clearly a man in a furst suit. It walks like a man, but they've added breasts, so you've got this ridiculous combination of a female and male features. Well, now wait a minute again, the only reason a human female walks like a human female is because of the wider breadth of the hips to accommodate the large brain. Infant sasquatch, as we've just discussed earlier, have a small brain. They have a brain that's not much bigger than a chimps or gorillas, and so females wouldn't have white hips. Females would have a pelvis that essentially looks just like a male sasquatch pelvis, and so a female sasquatch like Patty, even though she sports breasts to nurse her offspring, has a pelvis that doesn't look much different than her male counterpart would, and she would walk like a man. And this comes into the next point you made. When the commitment to terrestrial bipedalism was made, in order to help balance the torso over not three limbs or two limbs, but one at a time, there were some changes that pelvis. That shorter pelvis, not necessarily narrower, but shorter. The blades instead of facing just front to back, curled around to the sides. So now the smaller what we call the lesser glue teles, the gluteous minimus, and medius, especially the medias, are on the sides, and so instead of pulling the leg back the lower limb the thigh back retracting it, they balance the torso over the support limb. You can test this out just next time you stand up and take a step or two, put your hand down right on the side of your hip, and as you lift one leg, you'll feel the muscles on the opposite side on the support limb flex, keeping that pelvis and torso from dropping to the unsupported side, you know, like a drunken soldier. Well, just think about the way a chimpanzee walks on two legs. That characteristic and actors try to emulate that whenever they don an eight suit, And it's that characteristic kind of arms out like a tightrope walker and swinging the torso back and forth in a swaying motion over the alternating limbs in order to balance the pel or the torso over the support limb anyway. So one of the ways to address that, in addition to the reorganization of the pelvis, is to angle the thigh in towards the midline, so your base of support is already closer to the center of mass than otherwise. So when we walk, instead of a wide splayed gate with our feet apart, we place. You know, it's not as extreme as a model walking down a catwalk, you know, with it where they literally almost cross their feet over in front of the others. But it's closer to that. And you find too when you take on a heavy load. Next time you're backpacking with a heavy backpack, notice the way you modify your gate a little bit. And if you're at all experienced, you do this intentionally, whereas you do tend to walk a little more tightrope because you're bringing the center or bringing your line or a point of support more directly under the center of mass, and you don't have to utilize the muscular effort quite as much to balance your helvis and torso over that in any case, So then you talked about the compliant gate. Humans have adapted, are adopted of a manner of walking that maximizes the step length and takes advantage of that rigid longitudinal relatively rigid longitudinal large and so together with the elongation of of our legs are lower extremities. We reach out with a very extended limb and come down with a heel strike and then transfer onto that supporting foot. But that that extends our our step length. And you know, over a long period of walking, and that even if you've only gained a couple of inches, you multiply that by hundreds of thousands of steps and you've reduced significantly the number of individual steps you've had to take to cover that that ground. But as a result of that extended limb, we have a bit of a jar when we when you know jolt, when when our heel strikes the ground when it's called the heel strike versus the toa and and because of our art, we have two points of peak pressure beneath the foot, one at the heel strike, and then as you know, the full foot is in contact, the heel comes up. And now now the point of contact has shifted to the ball of the foot, to the metatarsal heads because of that arch, and there's another peak pressure point concentrated in that small surface area. As we push off ultimately with our big toe, well, you increase body mass considerably, and those peak plant pressures are something to be avoided. And so one way is to not have an arch which differentially concentrates pressure under those limited points of contact, and don't have a heel strike where you where you're you know, you're actively limiting the surface area to absorb all of that weight, that and that force, you know, that accelerating force through a small area of tissue. Walk in such a way that the whole foot comes in contact.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because that's what I was going to be my next question, but you've already addressed it. Based on the footprint cast evidence, I'm not seeing a lot of really deep toe, I mean, are heel impressions, which indicates to me, along with witness sighting reports of this sort of flapping sound that sometimes they hear with sasquatches running through the area or across cement or something like that. Yeah, I've often thought that perhaps they come down rather flat footed as opposed to a heel strike, because you know, five hundred pounds of weight coming down on a heel every single time would do a real number to their heel bones, I would imagine.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was just going to say, this is something that Krantz kind of explores in his book where he's talking about the noticeable breadth to length ratios that are distinct for sasquatch, much greater than human and he points out that when you allow for that greater breadth and the increase surface contact by having a flat foot, the surface area, you know, placing the foot more flatly on the ground, you your pressure per unit area of the foot isn't much different than the theoretical isn't much different than what is observed for the human foot, which is, you know, right there at the tolerance levels of the of the tissue of the skin and connective tissue fatty tissue and bone. So you can address the increased forces anatomically, but you can also address them behaviorally. And that's that's what you were talking about with placing the foot more flatly initially instead of a decided heel strike, which you, as you correctly point out, seems to be the evidence of that seems to be completely absent, largely absent from the fossil record or excuse me, the footprint track record. In addition, you can soak up some of that impact force with the tendons and ligaments in the joints of the ankle and the knee and the hip. And this is where the compliant or flexed jointed gait comes into play. In the biomechanical literature, it's referred to, kind of in an informal sense as a Groucho walk. Now, most of the younger generation don't even know who Groucho Marx is, let alone having seen him on the movie screen.
Speaker 1: Which is a travesty, by the way, a huge It's a sign of the downfall of our civilization in my opinion, to not know who Groucho Marx is, that's right.
Speaker 3: But Graucho Marx had this funny walk and you know, he had this big bristly mustache and round glasses and a big cigar that you twiddle there, and he leaning way forward and walk with a bent at the waist and non flexed hips and knees and so anyway, this is what's called the compliant gate. And there have been very systematic studies done using force plate to collect data of ground reaction forces to show that you can reduce the impact forces which are called ground reaction forces, the forces the ground is pushing back against the force that you're imposing on it, just the way that description works, by upwards of eighteen twenty percent. That's that's pretty significant when you start talking about, you know, the magnitude of forces of a big seven hundred pound paddy walking across the sandbar.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So, so walking with a compliant gate combined with the broader foot and actually probably larger foot for the overall size. I mean, some people have looked at patting and say that our feet looked kind of oversize. Well they've probably well some of that is optical illusion due to the overexposure of the film. But there is something to be said for the length to stature ratio.
Speaker 1: I say, that same they say that same thing about Homo floresiensis about had much larger feet than its stature indicated.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So see, I think all of that the unique human condition really didn't emerge until our skeletons remarkably lightened in in weight and mass, and we went from an elongated heel that gave greater leverage to a very short heel length projecting behind the ankle joint for a speed lever. So a little bit of displacement of that proximal or that yeah, that proximal part of the ankle or the heel bone would translate into a very rapid movement of the distal and which is an adaptation for running. We are our skeleton, our long legs are you know, a lot of the discussion about the changes in the cranial base and in our proportions of upper extremity to lower extremity, and and you know, just the more light, the lightning, the grassilization of the skeleton. These are adaptations for endurance walking and running. And we're quite different sasquatch has evolved in a very different way.
Speaker 2: I mean, it muscles its way.
Speaker 3: Up and down those mountain sides and you know, it's probably capable of bursts of speed, just like a gorilla or a chimp. All I was just looking up the other day because someone was asking a silver backed gorilla can attain bursts of speed up to twenty five miles per hour, which is that's a world class sprinter speed. But it can't sustain it obviously for a lot. Neither can a world class sprinter sustain that for more than the one hundred yard dash. But the long distance runners, marathon runners don't run at that pace, and I don't think a sasquatch would be capable either it doesn't have those adaptations, or a gorilla, but sasquatch would be much more capable than would a gorilla. And so you know, feats of distance, an overnight trek across a gap between forest fragments would be something that you know sasquatch could undertake. I think that's probably why sometimes we get sign or sightings in otherwise odd places, is because there could be a like Krantz used to refer to rogue mails who are breaking out from their natal territory. They've been forced out by the resident male, dominant male, and they have to find their own turf and their own females attract their own females, So sometimes they strike out through less desirable habitat in order to find a place of their own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just kind of cook over that terrain during the night when there are fewer eyes out there to see them, and they feel safe under the cover of darkness.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things that that has given me a greater appreciation of just the muscle mass that sasquatches must have is doing exactly what you mentioned, which is experimenting about experimenting with my own gait while backpacking. You know, if I have like a forty pound pack, you know, on my back, that's a significant addition to my own weight, and I do find myself leaning forward slightly and just for you know, just for laughs, I kind of adopt the compliant gait, and it sure makes a big difference on the impact, especially going downhill, and there's some degree up, mostly downhill. But I'll tell you, I am sore in the morning.
Speaker 2: All that.
Speaker 1: It's just an incredible burden on my feeble little muscles.
Speaker 3: So sure, exactly, Well, that's and that's it, because you can no longer simply rely on the joint locking mechanisms or the passive tension in the ligaments and joint capsules. The tendons can store some elastic energy. Especially see one of the very human like characteristics is is very well developed Achilles tendon, the calcaneal tendon, and it's kind of like it's not exactly like that. We compare it to a bungee cord, that connective tissue. Within the way it's arranged within the tendon, it allows for a little bit of stretch and there's some elastic tissue in there as well that helps it to rebound to its original shape. But they have found, you know, that these these tendons can return a significant fraction of the kinetic energy once they're loaded back into the system in propulsion.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: The extreme example of this mechanism is the big giant red kangaroos in Australia, which once they get up to speed, you know, they're basically springing on these relying on these on these tendons and the counterbalance the cantilever rather cantilever mechanism of their torso and tail, that stiff tail sticking back there over the hip each time they hit the ground. The tail tends to come down in the to also tends to come down, which loads all of the ligaments and tendons in the back and the spine and you know, big tendons of the muscles for the tail. And then that tends to upon recoil, lift the kangaroo up again, you know. And and so the force necessary to generate the lift for that next step, that next spring rather is is in part contributed by the recoil of these ligamented structures. So the point is that it's interesting. You look at at Paddy, you look at a chimpanzee, and they have almost no real significant tendon, and what is there is a broad much more what we call appo neurotic, a broad tendon that spanning between the calf musculature and the heel. But if you look at Patty, she's kind of intermediate between a chimpanzee and a human. She has a massive broad tendon in the area. The heads of the gastroc nemus are discernible, and they're long, but they're shorter than they are in a chimpanzee. They're a bit longer than they are in the human. And the length well, when we say the length I'm talking about the length of the fibers that constitute the two gastroc heads. So if you're relying on those muscles to kind of load the tendon, they don't need to be very long. The chimps are long because they move their ankle through such a huge range of motion compared to ours when they're climbing up and down trees, and so the muscle fiber has to shorten through that range of motion. But if the range of motion is greatly restricted, and the adaptation is to load the tendin so that when the four foot hits the ground, see, it would otherwise stretch that tendon. I almost ruptured my tenton just to show you the kind of the principle, you know. I was out we were collecting firewood, and rather than using axe as we were and saws, we were just gathering up the dead fall and were breaking it on rocks or leaning across something and stomping on it. Well, when you do that, you need to stomp so that your ankle is right over the top, so that the force coming down through your leg goes straight through the well like a dummy. Was being a little careless, and when I stomped I caught the branch with the tip the end of my boot out of my toes and it flexed my foot up really forcefully, and oh man, it pulled my achilles tendon and I had a Charlie horse like you wouldn't believe, and I thought I had a vaults. I mean, that's how you can a volts tear tear the tendon. Either it either it fails internally in the fibers slip and then you get this big swollen contusion and potential hematoma. Or it literally tears. It can pull it right free from the heel bone and sometimes even tears some of the bone that those fibers are embedded within, away from the heel bone. So I was limping for several days. I immediately put some ice on it. Thankfully we had some ice in one of the ice tests and I could put some ice on of it.
Speaker 1: And no martial arts classes in your background, so well, yeah, not.
Speaker 3: It just took at one moment of a of a misdirected the stomp, not aimed quite placed, quite properly, and.
Speaker 1: Man, well you know what, we have a lot, We have a lot more questions that at least I have a lot more questions to ask. I think Bob has been more of a student today and just like sitting back listening as I as I as have I, but don't Why don't we go in and close down the main session. We can go to the member section and then I can ask you some of the other questions that I have. Are you okay with that, Bobo?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to hear what the latest stuff's going on.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, well yeah, why don't we go and do that. We'll save that for the members section. So everybody else out there listening, I really appreciate you listening. If you do want to hear us, continue this conversation with doctor Meldrum, or continue a conversation with any of our guests. Every single week, you can become a member. Just go to Big and Beyond podcast dot com and click the membership link and I'll bring you right there and you get an extra maybe half hour forty five minutes of conversation every single week. And I don't know, reviews are in. It seems to be a big hit. People are enjoying it, so maybe you're missing out on something. So Jeff, go ahead and stick around with us for a moment and Bobo, Why don't you close down this episode here?
Speaker 4: All right, folks, Well, thanks for joining us for episode two hundred and our special guest today, doctor Jeff Meldrium. We appreciate him showing up. We'll see I guess next time at the three hundredth episode. Okay, until then, everyone, thanks for joining us and keep it squat.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond