Speaker 1: Step into a journey where every step is packed with purpose, insight, and empowerment. This is Walk with Wisdom with your host, Genevieve Wisdom. Walk with Wisdom is a dynamic podcast series designed for men and women forty and over who are ready to embrace their best years. Yet life at this stage isn't about slowing down, It's about leveling up. Each episode is a walkthrough guide to mastering life's transitions, rediscovering passions, and thriving physically, mentally and emotionally. We bring you expert advice, real life stories, and actionable strategies to help you strive confidently into a future of vitality and fulfillment. So now please welcome the host of Walk with Wisdom, Genevieve Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, Genevieve Wisdom and welcome to Walk with Wisdom, a lifestyle show on youthful aging, which is looking great and feeling amazing as you age and doing it with perseverance and a zest and zeal for life.
Speaker 3: What any age.
Speaker 2: We just to let you know before we get started, thank you all of our viewers. We actually have viewers who have come back every week. Thank you so much for spending time with us. We're live on YouTube, We're streaming everywhere as well as you can follow us on Facebook and Apple Podcasts and Spotify, and make sure to subscribe to Bulgraef TV that way you can stay connected. Now, what is the show about today? You may have remembered when we started this walk five weeks ago? Can you imagine time flies? I mentioned on the first show, I have the amazing Megan introducing me and it was interview the interviewer, and I mentioned that I do that every few weeks so you can get to know who I am.
Speaker 3: I'm new to most of you.
Speaker 2: I am doing an interview the interviewer section today and the amazing mister Bruce Pollock has agreed to come back.
Speaker 3: If we can bring up Bruce.
Speaker 4: Please, Hey, Genevieve, how are you doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great? Thank you? How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm well. I can't wait to get.
Speaker 2: Started, fantastic. I'm just going to talk to our audience a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Bruce.
Speaker 2: We've actually had I've had some emails people really enjoying the rapport that you and I have had and everyone. Bruce has known me for some time now, Bruce, how long have we.
Speaker 3: Known each other?
Speaker 4: I was trying to figure it out about fifteen years.
Speaker 2: I think now, yeah, fifteen, We're gonna stick with fifteen.
Speaker 4: It could be more, but no, I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Exactly about fifteen years now.
Speaker 2: And so because Bruce has given us this amazing walk through menopause menopause, and if you haven't seen those shows, please go back and check them out on any of the platforms that you use. We're on all the major platforms. A lot of people have said, Bruce that a rapport is great, So thank you for coming to help with that rapport and let the audience get to know their host, Genevieve Wisdom a little bit better within the context of menopause and menopause, well menopause for me, So Bruce, take it away.
Speaker 5: Why you're saying, I've known you throughout fifteen years now, Jen, And when you see Jen on the camera, she's this vibrant, beautiful, exciting, energetic woman and this has been Genevieve through the whole time I've known her. Well, you don't see is you don't see what happens when the symptoms kick in, the symptoms menopause, And I thought really just started off with so that you understood why Genevieve is so interested in this subject and why she's so into helping people. Is I thought we could just start with the symptoms that you're feeling, because I've known Genevieve before she moved into menopause, and now that i've known her through this journey. If you would, I'd be really interested to just hear what you've been going through on a physical and emotional level.
Speaker 2: Wow, I have tears, and I didn't know I would have tears. But remember also, audience. When I first started this, I said, you're going to get to see the authentic me because we've lived in a world of we're told that things are real, and you and I both know they ain't real. So you're seeing the real me. It's your sister around the corner. It's your friend, like how Bruce and I have become friend and really more family. And that's what you're getting to see in Bruce just touched an amazing point already. So what you don't see for me is the struggle that I have had in this new and exciting phase of life. When my hormone stopped. Life stopped, and I didn't really know what.
Speaker 3: Was going on. And remember we.
Speaker 2: Also talked about my coming from a fashion background. Remember I was walking down the street five eight and ten pounds.
Speaker 3: Oh you should model.
Speaker 2: That's another story for another show, Bruce, because you know, Bruce knows a little bit about that journey because you met me when I was still in my forties and still modeling.
Speaker 3: Actually, I have a couple of pictures.
Speaker 2: Bruce thought it might be a good idea to just show those of you were getting to know Genevieve wisdom and walk with wisdom and this walk we're going on, what the omi was like, Dan, could you please put up like one of the black and whites when I was in my thirties. We're gonna pop up a picture here so you can see. So I went from that in my thirties, in my modeling days.
Speaker 3: We may perfect. Yeah, so I was thirties.
Speaker 2: This was when I was doing contacts and makeup because back in the day when I modeled, by the time you hit thirties you were pretty much washed up. So that's one of my looks. You can see, vibrant.
Speaker 3: And energetic, which I try to exude now.
Speaker 2: But a lot has changed. My body has changed, my emotions have changed.
Speaker 3: The way I relate.
Speaker 2: To absolutely every part of life has changed. And as Bruce leads me through these questions, you'll really get to go a little bit deeper about what some women go through in Menopausema, No, it's not everyone. There are different phases, And Bruce I came up with a great idea that we're going to talk about at the end of the questions, to tell men and women about what their symptoms might be doing.
Speaker 3: And I think you have.
Speaker 2: Some insights yourself, having being a coach and consultant about you know, what you've seen me go through and possibly how my other extreme it is.
Speaker 5: So can you so little detail about about the physical aspects of menopause for you and the emotional side of it?
Speaker 3: Absolutely so physical aspect.
Speaker 2: A lot of my friends who knew me, by the way, my nickname was bat Barbie. I didn't give that to myself, you know, but that was the nickname that I got. And imagine a Barbie doll. That was me my whole life, not that anymore. And let's just be very clear. I love myself and that's what I want all you, especially the girls. I can talk to you on a woman to women's sister to sister level. No matter what, love yourself. So I love myself. So it's not about body size. It's just about the drastic change that happens. And when it's not you and it's not the body that you had and the body you're in, it does some.
Speaker 3: Things to you, both on a physical.
Speaker 2: Level, which Bruce will help me talk about, but certainly an emotional levels. So body size changed drastically. And remember everyone, when we talk about youthful aging, it's beauty from the outside inn because this is how we see each other.
Speaker 3: We experience each other by what we see.
Speaker 2: First, you know, yeah, the heart, absolutely, you know, the heart is what really comes. But when we see each other, we see what we look like. And so people have looked at me and go, Genevieve, was what the fun happened to you? But have you heard about metopos.
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: And so and so I've changed drastic to clean body size, and that means a lot of water weight, Bruce, which is you know, some of the things that happen. And we'll talk a little bit more specific, but with that hormonal cascade that we talk about, your endogenous hormones, which means the hormones that your body makes naturally as a woman. They stop upon cessation of mensis, and then some people decide to take exogenous hormones. I'll tell you I was never going to be one of those girls, Bruce. I was never gonna take anything. I was just going to skatee through this until I couldn't sleep. The weight, the mental fatigue, all these I have experienced just about all the symptoms and at a very high level. And so I really for me see the body weight because imagine coming from modeling and then what my wardrobe looks like right now. If I couldn't lie to myself about that, it really was happening. Secondly, for me, a massive problem is really sleep. And Bruce and digestion, you know, and with digestion.
Speaker 3: Girls and guys. Bruce, we talked about gut and the myriad.
Speaker 2: Of things that happens with gut, and it's really IBS that I have experienced. And Bruce, I know you can add a little about IBIS because IBIS.
Speaker 3: Isn't just one or the other.
Speaker 2: It isn't just constipation or diarrhea, is it.
Speaker 3: It could be all kinds of different.
Speaker 5: I want to hear your yeah in fact often it's back and forth. One when one day you'll be constpaid, the next day you have diarrhea. It's also inflammation. It's mostly inflammation, but the side effect is tramping, diarrhea, constipation, one or the other or both. Because I often see it, I say it may be a conspyco sometimes but sometimes have the runs, and it's the same problem. It's just the opposite spectrum of the expression of the problem.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And then what has happened with me more often? And Bruce, I think we talked about this and ladies.
Speaker 3: Specific of the ladies.
Speaker 2: We're talking to the ladies right now because many of you will relate to what I am going through. And we'll talk about you ladies that are prior perimenopause, because there are things that you can do a lot of what we're doing now you can do previous and that may lessen your symptoms when you get here. But with a lot of girls, Bruce, when we've talked about this is women are more constipated in general.
Speaker 3: Do you find that in your years of practice?
Speaker 5: Like me, I find that even non med apusal women. The doctors nowadays are saying, oh, bewel movement. Every three to five days is normal, and that may be normal, but it's not healthy. Excuse me, it's not healthy. You're constipated. You need to be going to watch them every day, or those talks sweep through your colon causing other problems. So yeah, generally, it's actually a very normal problem for women.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And it's funny, ladies that Bruce said three to five days, because I remember when I was modeling that was normal for me and all the girls, three to five days. And I remember once in my twenties, doctor said to me, you know, how often do you go to bathroom? And I go, I don't know, once or twice a week. He goes, that's it. So it's funny. Back then he was really alarmed. But seemingly that has continued where now you know, we're kind of hearing that you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's normal.
Speaker 2: But again, just because something happens a lot doesn't necessarily mean it's normal.
Speaker 3: So remember when.
Speaker 2: We started, I told my audience that we were going to talk about gut and really elimination and how pulling makes you beautiful.
Speaker 3: Just thought I throw that in there.
Speaker 2: So again, going back to some of the drastic symptoms for me, the massive weight game, which is overt and obvious to everybody, and I.
Speaker 3: Know, and the lack of sleep, and then.
Speaker 2: There are other symptoms as well, Bruce, But I'm sure you have some other questions that maybe you want to lead me.
Speaker 5: Down this way just before before we leave this one totally. Yes, how do you feel once you finished? So we do an hour of this or you do an hour of this and you you're putting out all your energy, You're you're you're, you're keeping it light and energetic.
Speaker 4: How do you feel after the podcast?
Speaker 3: Wow? And there's a trigger again.
Speaker 2: And those of you who know me and have known me before this stage in life, know that you know some ladies I love my girlfriends and they'll just cry.
Speaker 3: They'll see a beautiful flower, they'll start crying. That's not me.
Speaker 2: I'd rather draw my my ship. And you guys know what that means. I'm hinting at where I'm from.
Speaker 3: But for me to be teery, that's unique.
Speaker 2: But one of the shows, when I finished everyone, I literally crawled to bed. I rolled out of the chair. I have a filming room. I try to set up a nice background to make it feel like we're going on a walk. I really tried to make it inviting for you, my guests, again, because I care about you taking your time to come and hear this important talk about life. Forty and over and then we started with menopause. Menopause, so I have a filming room. I literally Bruce rolled out of the chair and crawled to bed, and so thank you for asking. This is it for me? This is it for me sometimes for one week and the energy levels is just in the tank.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's all I've got.
Speaker 2: And so I know a lot of women in our practices have come to us about that.
Speaker 3: Bruce, after the short.
Speaker 2: Break, you and I can come back and maybe you can tell me some of the experiences you've had as well, because I love this rapport and everyone, as I talked about Walk with Wisdom, it's a journey. We go on it together. Bruce and I are going to have some great ideas at the end of the show, and we're going to take a short brink for sponsors. Hi, everyone, thank you for coming back. Genevieve Wisdom of Walk with Wisdom, and I have Bruce Pollock here. He is interviewing the interviewer today. There is Bruce's contact information if you wanted to reach him directly. Bruce Underscore Pollock at Yahoo dot ca a and of course with me. We love emails Wisdom at Walk with Wisdom dot ca and Bruce we left off on a really important question about my journey through menopause and what you and I have experienced with women, and it's the energy crisis.
Speaker 5: I really thought that was important because throughout my years of dealing with this, I've had women and they just they feel really bad because all I could do was cook dinner. I didn't have the energy to do dishes, and there's a real guilt that comes with that. And the guilt shouldn't be there. This is something that's out of your control. You don't have the energy, and I really believe that the negative emotion harms you as much as the menopause itself does. So this is what I love about Genevieve. I look beautiful, and she does. She's a beautiful woman.
Speaker 4: We all do.
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter what walk of life we're in. But as soon as we start feeling guilty negative all those things about ourselves or lack of energy or the way we feel, that affects us on a physical level, and we're already being affected on physical levels, so we don't need to add to it. So that was why I forced Genevieve into talking about her energy levels, just so that everybody realizes one, it's normal, and two is like, don't worry about it. That's just I mean, we can build health from there, but don't feel guilty about it. Accept it as just part of the journey.
Speaker 2: If you would, absolutely, absolutely thank you Bruce for having us, especially girls, talk about the energy aspect because we all do diverse jobs and when we're on able to do it and take care of the family. I know for women nurturers that can cause a guilt and ladies, no guilt here, it's normal. And Lilis and I have some ideas. When we get further in, please go ahead.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we've talked about your symptoms. Tell me where they expected. Is this what you're expecting when you're walking to metapause or did you get hit with a baseball bat?
Speaker 3: Heaven?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't expect this, and I talked to girls who are in my age group going through it, and we go.
Speaker 3: They didn't tell us. We didn't find out until we got here. But Bruce and everyone my.
Speaker 2: Audience by the way, thank you for your comments. Please go ahead and make comments. How I can relate to you more, of course, is when you send me an email, because you know we're here. We just have a certain amount of time. But I see your comments. I appreciate it talk to one another, and I can also share them with Bruce at the end of the show, and we can specifically answer some questions possible Bruce and another one of the podcasts, But certainly I didn't expect it, and my being in the nutraceutical industry, so ladies, again, my three main areas was beauty, which is why I don't throw it out, and it's foundational because we see each other. We have an experience of each other first through eyes, the wealth industry and the health industry, and wealth being I was an insurance broker, and I was in banking, and then most recently the largest area where I've learned a lot of skills and spent time helping others because Bruce and I love to help others is in the integrative health space. So it's more unwellness, but you know, we really have a lot of wisdom and knowledge on nutraceuticals, which is studied in research vitamins and minerals and things that will make a change in what we're going through with the symptoms that we're going through, and so my being in that field, Bruce, I.
Speaker 3: Thought I got this. I have done. I was cleansing.
Speaker 2: Cleansing was a thing I was vegan before vegan, the thing to cleanse.
Speaker 3: I was eating quinoa.
Speaker 2: I ate so much quinoa that I can eat quina right now because I ate so much quina for a decade that my middle name was Quenua. So I went through I thought I had such a solid base and boom, here I am.
Speaker 3: I'm going what the fun happened?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: My next part, I guess, is a two part question. What's been the hardest part for you number one? And what was most an unexpected part of the journey for you for number two?
Speaker 4: Two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the hardest part for me is not sleeping.
Speaker 3: We haven't really touched on sleep. But Bruce, I know you know, And.
Speaker 2: Ladies, because you're all going through it with me, and those of you who are going through it with me, please share that. And for right now, until we build some more groups for the Walk with Wisdom pod, as we get to know one another, send an email because we have ways to deal with this. But a massive part of this stage of life is sleeplessness, and really what happens is your cortisol. We talked about this and again if you haven't seen or two previous podcasts, Bruce and I talked about menopause. Menopause which is the male version andropause generally in general that happens about a decade after women experience menopause. For men, their hormones are going down to and they can have some drastic changes. So for me, sleep is non existence. And I have tried absolutely everything for sleep, absolutely everything, because I know what to do. I have the great Bruce Pollock in my corner, I have a team of medical experts and yeah, nothing. That was really really the most difficult part. And I guess the most unexpected part was that the two part question.
Speaker 4: Absolutely yeah, most expected.
Speaker 2: So I guess the most unexpected part for me was to realize that, Okay, I'll tell you a story. Remember when we started on this, I told you all that I.
Speaker 3: Speak in stories because it gives you a visual.
Speaker 2: So when I was much younger, toadterer and thinner, and that's my little tagline and I love it and I uphold it because I love me now. But there wasn't me then. By the way, is there another black.
Speaker 3: And white picture, please? Then that you can put up with me in my thirties.
Speaker 2: And so there's another one that we're going to pop up much younger, toadterer and thinner. I would coach women on weight loss, and I would coach women, not specifically just on fat loss. But you know, we talk about making sure that you healthy. You're gonna look for bone density. So we did dexa scans right birds to make sure that we're all the different parts of your body composition, because it's not just about body size. And again it's not about size, it's about how you're healthy in that size.
Speaker 3: And so I remember this one lady.
Speaker 2: Came in and she took one look at me up and down, and she looked at me like she knew I was a black barbie. And I'm going I didn't know what was going on. And she goes, have you ever gained weight? And I said, no, eat.
Speaker 3: Less and exercise more. He goes, it's coming for you, And it came for me.
Speaker 2: So the most unexpected part for me having I never had a weight issue. Have gained weight once, but it was something specific that happened. It was like an insult that happened in life that caused that. But apart from that, you know, tall and slim and sleek and lean and so I've never really had that boomerang. And when it's just come on like it has, it's just like, oh, Wow, need some help here, because Bruce and again about the weight and the hormonal aspect of it, that's really showing how out of balance my hormones are and we can't Nothing will change. The gut won't change, the sleep won't change, the brain health which we'll talk about later won't change, and the weight won't change if we don't get it all balanced. So it's not just about the weight. It's everything in conjunction. But for me that was really the most unexpected part because I could exercise. I can't exercise now, by the way, because everything hurts.
Speaker 3: Plus I have a lot of dizzy spells. So when people go go for.
Speaker 2: A walk around the block, I go, I can't walk, Sugar, you don't don't understand. And last thing about the most unexpected thing for me is giving up my heels. I loved a high heel. Bruce and I know a lot of you ladies. I used to hear the ladies say to me, oh, yeah, we can only wear flats, And I'm going, why why.
Speaker 3: Do you give up your heels? I will never give up my heels.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't want to see what I'm wearing on my feet, but it's flat and comfortable because estrogen and of course all the hormones working in balance. They have to be in homeostasis, which is in balance, affect different things like your ligaments, like your bones, and so a lot of drop foot happens in menopause, a lot of flat footedness, a lot of pain between the ligaments, joints, tendons, all of that because now we're not making our hormones indogenously and the body is going where is it? There's a panic, and then we have these symptoms that Bruce and I are gonna come up with some protocols later on.
Speaker 4: So I'm curious about this.
Speaker 5: I've had many ladies come at me say, you know, metoposit feels like I'm losing myself. Have you ever looked in the mirror and said, who's this person staring back at me? Because I get that a lot these poor ladies. They say, I don't even recognize the person in the mirror anymore. Can you explain that to me one hundred percent?
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you another story.
Speaker 2: I was walking down the street and you know, we walk down the street and there's a reflection in the glass at a storefront.
Speaker 3: Bruce and ladies.
Speaker 2: As walking down the street and I'm going, oh, there's another lady who looks like she's from where I'm from.
Speaker 3: So I live in a phenomenal city.
Speaker 2: Phenomenal We love one another here, and that's what I love about where I live in Vancouver. For the most part, there is this love and respect for one another, no matter color, creed, YadA, YadA, YadA. So I just want to say that I love where I am. And my mom came here in nineteen seventy four and brought us kids up, so really really love it here.
Speaker 3: So I'm walking and.
Speaker 2: I look and I thought, oh, there looks like someone from where I'm from, you know, kind of looks.
Speaker 3: Like my mom. And I realized it was me.
Speaker 2: That woman wasn't following me, that was me. And I'm going, ah, what happened? And so I know what that's like. And again, ladies, this is not about self hatred, about us gaining weight.
Speaker 3: That's not the issue.
Speaker 2: It's about now. This person that's looking back at you is simply not you. And some of us it's in wait. Some of us it's in our skin. Some of us it's the headaches and the dizziness. And you know, you get up in the morning and you're trying to brush your teeth. I've done that, and you're going I'm going to fall into the sink. And then, of course we will talk about the emotions, but a hundred percent looking at ourselves and thinking, oh wow, we're and it can happen suddenly. It actually happened quite fast for me because I didn't actually go through a perimenopause stage that was avert, and perimenopause that subvert means that you'll have women will have sporadic mencies.
Speaker 3: I didn't do that. It was done and done just.
Speaker 2: All the way through, like clockwork, and then I was done, and then everything changed in an instant, and so I now concur and I have the same thing Bruce in my private practice with women, coaching and counseling and helping them be compliant with their medical professionals if they're on hormone therapies, or if they're on nutraceutical therapies or both. You and I are very well versed in that, and a lot of ladies have told me that.
Speaker 3: And now it's me, Bruce.
Speaker 2: I'm not loving it, but you know what, I like where I am and I'm content and this is just one of those things in life.
Speaker 3: Walk with wisdom and we go through this journey.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, let's talk about spontaneous combustion also called hot flashes. I've seen it happen where the lady in front of me just sweat starts pouring off of her and it's just totally out of control. Do you have a secret weapon? What do you do to cool yourself down when this is happening?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 4: Okay, no secret weapon. Moving along, Let's just say.
Speaker 3: The neighbors might not wanted to see what I come outside in.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll tell you another story. So based on where I live, my amazing husband is from. He's an ice hockey boy. So this is going to give a contrast the man who's played hockey his own life, grew up loving being out on the ice and or first win together when I was going through this time. It was minus eleven outside, which is unusual for us where we are, but it was a little cold snap.
Speaker 3: He had my winter.
Speaker 2: Jacket on, and you guys can tell that I'm from a hot island, hot island girl, so I had the warmest down. He had my winter jacket on because I'm tall, so you can fit in it. So he had it all pulled up. The heats were going, and then all on a sudden, the window goes down on my side. I turn off the heat and these big blue eyes turn around and look at me and go, what are you doing? It's minus eleven degrees outside, and I go, haven't you heard of a hot flash? And then I'm going, oh, my goodness, this is what a hot flash feels like. It was horrific, and so you know that's a little bit of a jest. But I have tried to do it with nutraceutical protocols to calm the fire within, and it does calment. So I mean, because I couldn't be here, Bruce, I would have had a hot flash like every five minutes before I started on taking a certain brand of nutraceuticals and I so we can come back and talk about you know some of the things that we can do. What we're gonna do right now is have a short break so that our sponsors can tell us all the good stuff that they have for us. Thank you all for watching, keep commenting, please come back. We're gonna talk more about menopause and menopause.
Speaker 3: As every day.
Speaker 4: Think of the b.
Speaker 3: Y thing dot com every day.
Speaker 2: Thanks hi everyone, Welcome back to Walk with Wisdom. I'm host Genevieve Wisdom, and we have Bruce Pollock with us today. We are continuing to talk about menopause. Menopause because it is something that your host is going through right now.
Speaker 3: And along the line of us being authentic so you get.
Speaker 2: To know me, Bruce has agreed to come back and interview the interviewer, and so we're talking about all the different symptomology and how I go through it as a life coach, as someone having all the nutraceutical experiences, someone having a team of doctors and naturopathic doctors and colon hydrotherapists and ivy therapists and holistic nutritionists and homeopathic doctors around me, and yet it's struggle.
Speaker 3: And so we're here today.
Speaker 2: Bruce has come to help me to say to women specifically in this that it's okay. We don't give up. There are answers, and we keep doing things to make it better. So Bruce, you know, we start I started off or I left off talking about nutraceutical protocols.
Speaker 3: They help, They.
Speaker 2: Help tremendously, and so whatever your doctor tells you to do some of you might need to have hormone replacement bioidentical hormone replacement.
Speaker 3: At a certain time, do the research.
Speaker 2: If you have any questions, we come in Bruce and I if I can talk for us as coaches, so we come in in between where your medical professional may not have the time to really listen and go through the nitty gritty as to why you're on bioidentical progesterone or or why you're on this supplement to help you to get you to sleep at night. We have the time to do that because we're a coach and a consultant and counselor and we come in the middle and we have that time and we take that time. So you can contact me Wisdom at walk with Wisdom dot Ca, or if you want to talk to Bruce specifically, Bruce Underscore Pollack at Yahoo dot ca.
Speaker 3: So, Bruce, we're going to talk further, have another.
Speaker 4: One for me. I do.
Speaker 5: So we've talked about the physical symptoms and that kind of thing, but what about the impact on relationships. Have you noticed a shift in how you connect with your friends, your family, even your even your husband. Has there been a difference as things have shifted into the metopause stage?
Speaker 2: Oh lord, I'll tell you a story I used to hear and this is very transparent. Sorry, honey, he didn't know I was going to say.
Speaker 3: This on out there.
Speaker 2: But you know, I'm doing this podcast because so many people, over all the different industries I've been in, have asked me for my wisdom. Thank you for valuing what I've studied and experienced and put it together under this umbrella of life coaching. And then Bruce has come alongside me with his incredible plethora of accolades to help. We love to help, and we love to help primarily in the nutraceutical space, the integrative health and healing and wellness space. And so I didn't know I would be at this stage when I started this podcast. I had no idea.
Speaker 3: It just happened.
Speaker 2: And what I found, Bruce and you may have as well with your clients. Is they love to know that you know, you know, you go to someone who gets you. You don't want to go to someone that's I mean, okay, we look up to people and go maybe one day we want to be like so and so. But on the real aspect, to make real change in life, we like to go to people who know.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: One of the things that had happened, and the story tying it back to my husband is I used to have women say to me that my husband hasn't seen me naked in years.
Speaker 3: I hide.
Speaker 2: Well, today the man opened the door without knocking. I'm telling you he got a little bit of spice from me.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 2: All these different things happen to us during this time. And so rus can you just repeat the question and ladies, I'll say this. One of the things that happened to why if you see me using notes in the show, is I have memory labses and so because hormones affect the brain, Bruce, how much does it affect your brain and sleep and memory?
Speaker 3: So please forgive me for that I kind of lost the question.
Speaker 4: There, Yeah, no problem.
Speaker 5: So the question was about relationships, and you know there's been a shift in your connection with other people, with your friends, your family, your husband. That's that's what we're looking for, is your relationship and your connections with other people. They change since you've been going through the hormone the metopausal change journey.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well. And the reason why I start with the husband and told that story is for a lot of us girls, and Bruce, you know that or closest relationship is our spouse. So they're gonna get the goods, bad and the good with it. And so that's why I started there because of this change. And then sometimes he can't touch me because I'm so hot and the man is tactile he and he goes, well can I touch your finger? And and go absolutely, baby, touch my finger, but nowhere else because it's hot and there's water pouring, which you've seen, you know, Bruce, And so so that has changed. The good news is if you are in a love relationship, we can love more through it.
Speaker 3: And that's what I've found.
Speaker 2: And I'm very very grateful to have such an understanding man who listens. And so with relationships, we have to communicate to all those around us, like if we're starting to freak out, just like when I lost my memory lapse. Right now, I explain to you all what was happening. If we start to freak out, we have to just try with every ounce that we have and just explain. Listen, right now, I'm going through some things. If I lash out on you and I don't normally do, or if I start crying and I don't normally do, I'm just going through some things.
Speaker 3: Just bear with me.
Speaker 2: I'm working with it, and Bruce and Jennevie has some protocols that will talk about it.
Speaker 5: Keep in mind that as important as to communicate with your husband or the partner in your life, men do think differently than women. And the way I sort of try to express this which isn't hundredercent accurate, So no bad comments is ladies, you try to express the way you feel through story or you'll use an example.
Speaker 4: You squeeze the toothpaste in the middle.
Speaker 5: It's not the toothpasting squeezed in the middle that bothers you, it's a feeling you get from that.
Speaker 4: The example I use is.
Speaker 5: If a woman says to a man, I feel like you're having an affair, it means you're not spending enough time with me. You don't care about me enough. I feel like your love is going somewhere else. Well, if a man says that to a woman, that's what he means. There is no off sense and butts about that. If he says to you, I feel you're having an affair, he believes you are. So when you're talking to a man and you're trying to get your point across, exture what you're saying can jive with a person who sees the world in black and white, because that's way men do it. We don't see it in emotion. We see it and so when you say what do we think about we say nothing. We're really not thinking about anything. We're just sitting there. So when you do go to explain what you're feeling, try to put in a way that he will understand. And if you're really in a good place with him, say can you tell me back what I just said to you? And if he can explain back to what he said to you using his words, then he understood what you're saying. But don't do it when he's watching the hockey game. He won't be listening, you know. Make sure you sit down and say, is this a good time to talk. Can we talk? Because I have some important stuff I need to say, and that's going to be the way you do it. And it's so important because I've seen many, many, many again many women come to me and say, I'm using my relationship.
Speaker 4: I don't know what to do. I can't talk to this person. Well you need to. It's very important.
Speaker 2: Sorry for the speech, No, And that's why that wait, Bruce, one moment. If I may just add to that, that's what's important. Why I said menopause. Menopause because we all experience it together, and Bruce, I don't want to run out on this show. Though we're talking specifically about my experience. Well maybe we'll talk about it on another show, because men go through changes too, hormonally, and you know, having Bruce's perspective audience is so important because I don't want to leave the men out and we have all kinds of male relationships in our lives. It could be our sons, if we're blessed to be, you know, moms in our eighties could be your brother or nephew.
Speaker 3: This show really helps across the board with us and with the men in our lives.
Speaker 2: And thank you Bruce for reminding us because girls were emotional and we add emotion to everything. Remember when you're talking to the man in your life, keep it black and white, thank you birth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, keep it simple.
Speaker 3: Yes, So.
Speaker 5: Along most journeys are it's a point where you're you just feel like you're going straight uphill and you can't take the next step. Was there a point where you just said, this is ridiculous. I'm not going to feel the pity partymore. I'm not going to feel sort for myself. I need to take charge. I need to I need to take back my power. If you would, did you do it? Was there a turning point where I was and you said, this isn't where the way I want to be experiencing this, this experience, And did you do something different?
Speaker 4: Did you make changes at a certain point?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, things just kept getting worse. I was getting fatter, I was getting hotter. I'm doing all this stuff and it's not working. And I'm going, oh, no, you don't. I don't accept it because I know there are answers. I've seen them work for many, many, many others. And so keeping in mind that, you know, my experience is really at a height level, and I think one of the reasons is because I went from a high level of hormones, which normally genetically I would have, so like from the penthouse to parking garage number twelve in an instant. There was no winding down. That just happened, and I was really going into a little bit of a whole. I can't function like I used to. I can't stand.
Speaker 3: I have this dizziness now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if one has anything to do with the other, but because of where I am, you know, it's all different things.
Speaker 3: That I'm going through.
Speaker 2: So my physicality change, how I move, how I live my day, my job, job, everything changed, and.
Speaker 3: I thought, I'm going to take my power back. And how I do that is do what I know best.
Speaker 2: And when people have asked the geneteve give us your wisdom, I started to dig in to the wisdom that I have learned from others. And that is when I decided I have I have to do this podcast. I can't hide because I was hiding. I didn't want to come out like this. I was hiding, you know because and I don't know, Dan, if you can pop up any of the pictures, whichever one work, maybe even one of the colored ones. When I was in my mid forties and still modeling.
Speaker 3: There we go. Yeah, absolutely, that's one that I did, you know, in my forties for.
Speaker 2: Skincare makeup line, and then you know, so I was hiding because that was so much a part of me. But one thing I'll say, Bruce, we can let our looks or external things be or ident because if it is, then when you come to a massive crossroads like what I'm feeling right now, you would just crawl and give up. And that's not about me. So that's why I thought, let's do the podcast.
Speaker 3: Let's be real.
Speaker 2: People are talking about menopause everywhere, menopause not so much, but Bruce and I are talking about that.
Speaker 3: So let's be real.
Speaker 2: We're ordinary, extraordinary people next door. We can talk about this and we can come up with a protocol to help one another. Bruce and I have the wisdom to do it. And so that's what really changed me is I am going to do what I can do, which I know what I know I can do with the help of my brilliant friends, starting with you, Bruce, to put together protocols.
Speaker 3: To help women go through this.
Speaker 2: And so when we come back, we're going to have a short break for sponsors. When we come back, we'll talk about some of those protocols that is coming up in future shows. Thank you everyone. Genevieve Wisdom, welcome to Walk with Wisdom. And Bruce Pollock is here with me today talking about my journey on menopause.
Speaker 3: Bruce, anything you.
Speaker 5: Wanted, absolutely, So you've been going through this for a while now, you must have come up with something to help you out. What would you say, like, let's call them wisdom hacks if you would. What ideas do you have for just dealing with on a day to day baby?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Bruce. I love that.
Speaker 2: Before we talk about the wisdom hacks, I'm going to pull up one more picture Dan if you can, yeah, perfect. So this is one of my favorite pictures again in my forties, mid forties. It's not like you know, twenty years ago to mid to late forties, and I really want to get my body back. That is one of the wisdom hacks that I want to do. And so you see all these things about weight and weight loss, and so one of the things that I'm going to do, Bruce, and I am going to get your wisdom on it because it works for men as well. Is to help us balance or hormones foundationally, so we can get our bodies back and lose that mid section. You've heard about the meno belly, and I also call it the man o'belly. It's right around there that it sits, and it really irks us. And one of the wisdom hacks that I have for that is really starting with a gut. So what I want to do, We're gonna we don't want to give too much information for a show. We don't want it to be like, you know, a university course per show. We want it to be fun and talking while giving everyone a little bit of information. So we're gonna start with a gut. Then we're gonna work on sleep because I think, Bruce, you agree that if we don't sleep, it really doesn't matter what we do as well, especially when it comes to wait. So the number one thing again is got making sure we're going to the bathroom. I'll talk about doing colonics because me again keeping in mind that I'm here, Oh, Bruce, something I thought of And ladies and gentlemen, all my viewers, you this may make sense to you.
Speaker 3: I hope it does.
Speaker 2: I'm just dropping it on Bruce, right, now, I thought what we would do is put together four levels of changing, reverting, reversing, reviving us back to what we used to do.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Maybe we're not going to be exactly how we were at twenty one, but certainly we can reverse back to mid forties.
Speaker 3: I'll take it.
Speaker 2: And it's to have mild, medium, hot, and pecante settings piicante I'm extra hot.
Speaker 3: And that would mean that.
Speaker 2: If someone has something mild going on, maybe it's just a matter of fixing their gut. Get some probiotics, get the microbiome going, and some magnesium for sleep, and that will fix them. Let's say, if we're talking about gut and sleep for someone who's medium, we stack. Everyone knows I love stacking, Bruce. You get stacking. Sometimes some people need more things to do, so we'll stack it on the medium level and then we go up levels. So it's not a one size fits all. That's what makes us so unique, uniquely beautiful, uniquely amazing wherever we are. It's not a one size fits all. What do you think, Bruce and audience, I love your comments about this.
Speaker 4: I think it's fabulous idea.
Speaker 5: Just start the start of the basics and move into the as you say, the pecante, if you would know, it's a great idea. But even you know, what we refer to men is as we say, the dad bod, and the dad bod is the cortisol bod. Right, that's that that tire around the around the gut, and it's not hell. And and as much as it's normal and acceptable on all those things, it's still not really healthy. So it's let's let's start at the basics and work our way through absolutely perfect.
Speaker 3: And that's exactly it.
Speaker 2: And remember everyone, as I mentioned, it's not about body size, you know, it's not at all about that.
Speaker 3: But we do have the hip to waste ratio that all of.
Speaker 2: Us in health know about, and I'm sure now with Google everyone know what the hipto waste ratio is. That if it's really now you're straight and more you have a spare tire, it sets you up for some chronic conditions. So at more ages, especially forty and over, we're really looking to reset. Do that resetting with this menopausal and menopausal cascade so that we're healthy and we decrease our risk of these chronic conditions that can come just from us having this massive weight change and we can do it.
Speaker 6: There are things that we can do, right, Bruce, absolutely absolutely stave off the type two deep sorry, stave off the type two diabetes and that.
Speaker 4: Sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely so, Bruce, Is there any comments that you have for me just to wrap up about getting to know me a little bit more through this journey and that you may have in general or amazing audience that's watching.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really appreciate and thank you so much, Jenn for being so honest about this. I know we've touched on a number of personal things and including weight, emotions, and even your memory, and I think that it's really important for everybody out there to realize these aren't things to be ashamed of. These are just things the way they work. There are things you can make them better. But don't feel bad because you're feeling this way. Just accept that's where you feel, and then we can move to a better place. Remember that that journey, you hit that pinnacle where you just decide enough is enough. Now we need to change, well, change slowly. You don't have to change overnight, and nothing will change overnight. But but remember you're not alone. I guess that's I guess that's what I really want to say is you're not alone in this. Genevieve has probably, if I can be totally honest, there were symptomology I've ever seen, and yet look at her, she says, vibrant, smiling, laughing woman.
Speaker 3: Right, So don't you didn't let it outtart right out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't.
Speaker 5: Don't don't let it take you down the wrong trail. Remember, you can still be smiling and vibrant and not energetic necessarily, but you don't have to live a life of depression as this goes through. So again, thank you so much for your honest and your candidness in this. It's it's I've really it's opened my eyes to what's going on.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Bruce, and thank you for agreeing to interview me on such a really intimate topic to really put out there. But you know my heart of authenticity, which you have as well, and it's really to help others, and it's affecting so many women and men, and it's at such a deep level and we shouldn't have to suffer through this. We walk together, We walk with wisdom to get through it together. Thank you all again so much for joining me this week. Next week we are going to have some of those protocols we talked about, and I'm hoping, Bruce, do you think you can come back with me. I have another guest next week to talk about nutraceuticals specifically that's our you.
Speaker 3: Know, we live, breathe, and dream nutraceutical.
Speaker 2: So I'm wondering, can you come back with me, like at the end of the show and maybe help me do a little wrap up, put things in perspective, and maybe introduce some of these protocols that we talked about today.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what I say, besides myself, it's just some of my favorite subject so I would love to come back and talk to you about them. Absolutely, it'd be my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. Thank you again everyone for joining Walk with Wisdom. Remember to share, give a thumbs up whenever you can stay connected on the Bowl Brave platform. You can get a hold of me directly Wisdom at walkwi Wisdom dot Ca or Bruce Bruce on the score Pollock at Yahoo dot ca.
Speaker 3: Thank you everyone for joining us.
Speaker 1: This has been Walk with Wisdom with host Genevieve Wisdom. Tune in each week as Genevieve will present powerful guests who'll inspire you to make every step count, whether you're walking your dog, tackling your morning run, or enjoying a quiet moment with your headphones. Walk with Wisdom is your companion for redefining what it means to age powerfully and intentionally. Fridays, four pm Eastern on the Bold Brave TV Network, powered by B two Studios. Take them first step with us, because wisdom isn't about what you've left behind. It's about everything that lies ahead.