Speaker 1: This is the seventy seven WABC Mini.
Speaker 2: Cast and I am looking at my Twitter to begin with at Dominic TV and a tweet from the lovely Cassandra Van Pole says the entire story. She says, Mom, Donnie Piker El sayed, Dominique Carter here with you, folks, and abdu El sayed, when's the Michigan Democrat Senate primary. I'm gonna focus on that in the back half of the show, the back half of the program today, but for the first half, we're doing something where I'm going to focus on someone who has spent his lifetime in law enforcement. He joins me right now. His name is John Mancini, and John spent years in law enforcement, but he put it all on the line even before his law enforcement days as a real life bounty hunter. And John has a brand new book detailing his years of tracking down fugitives and confronting danger. John Mancini and outstanding gentlemen, thank you for joining the program live. I'm doing well, so I want to talk to you about law enforcement. I want to talk to you about your bounty hunter days. And you know I've had the opportunity to meet you. You're one of the nicest comments guys that one could ever meet. Right, But then, I've seen clips of you on television from your bounty hunter days, and back then you had a beard, and you know, the John Mancini today doesn't seem to match the John Mancini of yester year in terms of the beard and going after these guys as a bounty hunter. Tell the audience what your book is about. The book is titled On the Run John Mancini, True Stories of John Mike in the Fugitive World of New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Basically, I started in as a private investigator and I met Mike at oar To Security. We started doing a couple of jobs together and we were getting results, and he used to be a bounty hunter and he kept busting me, saying, come on, come on, let's do it, let's do it. And I kept saying, you're crazy, you're crazy, and he said, finally got me down and he said, we'll just do one. If you don't like it, pack it in. We're good. So we did one and the adrenaline rush was unbelievable. And the difference is back then the world was different. I was much different. It was a pre nine to eleven. The world was just like a totally different place. And also back then law enforcement was our cue is to get the bad guy. You do what you gotta do, you get the bad guy. You know now not so much.
Speaker 2: Now not so much. So John is going to be taking you a telephone calls for the first half of the program about his days in law enforcement. His days are starting the K nine unit, one of the units in New Jersey, his days as a bounty hunter. But specifically on his book, the number to reach us live eight hundred and eighty four, eight nine to two. So talk to me, John Mancini. You know, I'm looking at the chapters in the book. I loved the book. Some of the chapters The cost of being a bounty hunter. Next thing I see better be a badge. You can never be right one hundred percent of the time. Holy bleep leap, I'm on TV. What tell us about the book specific Well.
Speaker 1: It's pretty funny because you would think a book like that's going to be just like a rugged book, knocking down doors, and it really isn't. There's some of that in there. But my partner, Mike was it was actually a comedian and he was probably one of the funniest guys I've ever met my life. And there was just a lot of situations we were in and he would just throw comments and it just broke the air. I mean, it was just very, very different. We were one of the few bounty hunters that were allowed to do deportation bonds, so we used to travel to Oakdale, Louisiana. Wow, take these little puddle jump planes either that had a curtain back then to to divide the pilot. But it was it was very very different back then, and what a lot of people see on TV is totally not what it's about. Very very rarely would knock a door down because you really don't know what's on the other side of that. You know you're going into their territory and you kind of don't want to do that. You want to get them when their guard is down. We used to love when they'd be walking to a car because now they're they're thinking of everything else. They got their keys in their hand, they go to unlock the car. That's when you grab a guy on each side and I'm saying keys. That's back when we had keys for cars.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, So explain so so and you know you have to know. John, I'm going to ask you this question. Is it like dog the Bunt bounty hunting that we used to see on television before he got in trouble.
Speaker 1: Oh god, no, it's not okay, So no, no, it's first, Well, like you said, I had a beard, I had long hair because I generally look like a police officer even if I'm not, so I had to, you know, blend in. He comes out in these outfits, and they came out with dogs right after we got out of the business and we were on Channel Mine a couple of times. So I really think that that was the prelude. But that's he went would all show and it was really that's not a good way of doing it. Nobody should even know who you are. You should be able to just slip in, go anywhere, blend anywhere. He can't really blend in anywhere, right, right.
Speaker 2: So you know, I was looking at some of the news accounts from you and your partner, and you guys would just roll up on somebody and and was there were there many times when they would resist. And I want to ask you, because I know you're big on law enforcement, how law enforcement officers are treated today. I'll get to that, but like, did you ever have any problem them with these guys that yet? And and then I want to ask you, how does the system work when when you go to catch somebody and does that mean they forfeit the bond? But but anyway, were there ever any situations with you and your partner with some guy who was like, I'm not going and then what do you do at that point?
Speaker 1: We had there was definitely a few that that were like that. We also had two dogs. We had a doverman and a rockwaller, so that that helped us out a lot because they might not have been afraid of us, but they were scared hell of the dogs. But again, you have to you have to act quick, you know, and and we knew what each weather we're going to do, so you really kind of want to go win quick. But we had we had guys that were big and my partner was a big guy that you know. We went through closets, over chairs, over water coolers, you know, but usually two against one we usually be able to once we get the cups on, it's it's pretty much. But we definitely we've had guys with guns. So yeah, I mean it was every year rest that you went on, and we did a lot of big bonds. You had to know that they've been in jail before and they didn't like it and they don't want to go back, and that's pretty much simple. So they're going to try and resist.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if I could do that job because they are going to try and resist. And so you went from bounty hunting into law enforcement, correct as an officer, correct, and you started I think the West Orange, New Jersey, is that correct, police department?
Speaker 1: Correct? The canine unit over there yet, And so you went.
Speaker 2: From having a dog with you two dogs as a bounty hunter, so you joined the police department. And I've even seen some videos of you as as a cadet at the academy. But you went from that to law enforcement. But then why did you get rid of the bed? Was it mandatory to.
Speaker 1: Get rid of it back then? Back then it was? And the beard's purpose was to make me not look like a cop. And Channel nine was they were doing stories on us like once a month about arrests. And then they actually helped a couple of rests because people saw them their wanted face on TV. And all of a sudden, we would get a lot of calls. That's actually one of the stories in the book. So we did that. We also got involved with the FBI and the Marshall Service because we were able to do different things that they really had their hands tied. So it was a nice, a nice relationship with that and it worked out well and we cleared up so many open bonds that you know, the work started dwindling, and then they came out with bail reform and it totally destroyed the whole bail industry.