Speaker 1: Time for a postseason one v one And for this one, we go to Emory because we talked to coaches when they keep winning and they keep doing things, So we go to Emory catch up with Sue Patburg. So, how was your weekend?
Speaker 2: Cold and great? That's awesome, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you hit zeros on the clock and it's like, oh, Vegas, that's never a bad thing. So what how long did it take to sync in about the gravity of what had happened there with the with the team and the steps that are going on here in the postseason.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, we were getting shelled in that Amherst game. We were just fighting to keep the ball out of our end. And you know, of course, when you're losing, the clock go so fast, and when you're winning, it's so slow, Like everybody knows, and so it's just one of those things you're finally you know as coaches, it just it's a little bit different. I think a lot of relief and joy, and but the relief comes first and then the joy, at least for me.
Speaker 1: So when you go back to back, how difficult is it in a postseason situation because you go up against Laura's and then you go through ninety minutes, and then you go through all of it and it's a one to one draw. Then you go to PKS and the angst that's associated with that. But then you can't sit and think about it because literally twenty four hours, I would guess shortly less than twenty four hours after you've completed it, you've got to turn around and take on Amherst. I mean, is it how much of a challenge is that for a staff to go back to back with the angst of PKS and then turn back around, shut it all down, remember what happened, get it off to the side, and then go up against Amherst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's actually it's it's a mind boggling to be honest, that the NCAA still makes us play back to back like we're the only division that has to play back to back. It's absolutely mind boggling. That aside, it's a quick recovery and it's all about recovery. It's all about getting food in them, it's all about starting the rehab. Luckily for us, the hotel we had had an indoor pool, so we got them in the pool to move around and then the lobby looked like triage center. I mean it was, and luckily again we had a massive lobby and you know, come back down from your room putting your stuff away, and the players are just like scattered all over the floor. I mean, our loan trainer is just working on like ten different people. The kids are rolling out, they're you know, doing massage guns.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: The great thing is our our team is really good about taking care of their bodies and they know what they need and the last for help and so yeah, that is a quick one.
Speaker 1: I mean it's I I this is where I would say I don't envy you in these situations because of the back to back and the learning. Let me get to the learning aspect of it here a little bit. How much advanced studying do you get in? Do you sit there and take a coach and it's like, okay, you've done all you can for us. As we get ready for Lauris I need you to go study the Amhurst game? Do you do that? Or is it just once it's over? Do you guys lock yourself in a room? What do you do here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean we're pretty you know, right or wrong, We're really a staff that's locked into the next game. Sure, we're going to take a peek at Amherst. We're going to look and see what their schedule look like, their wins, losses, but we're not really doing too much of a deep dive on them because it doesn't matter if you can't get past laws. And so we're very much a team that's you know, focused on the next game, and then of course after that we're watching. And the great thing for us again too, is that we have a staff of four coaches and they're all on huddle and we're all watching various aspects of all the games we can get our hands on.
Speaker 1: So so you process all of this and what is uh, you know now that you're getting into a different kind of a study hall. It's William Smith in Las Vegas on Friday night, Eastern time. What do you know about them? How much studying have you done? As you and I are catching up here early in the week. Was it was it a weekend once you once you got uh, once you got that assignment. Have you been spending all week looking at them? What's it been like? No?
Speaker 3: Actually I would love to have spent the week looking at them, but we got back late on Monday night, a light training, Tuesday, Wednesday week a morning training, and then it was Thanksgiving and our staff traveled.
Speaker 2: Our whole staff travel for Thanksgiving. Players had a couple of days off, and then we have all I think like I watched our Amhurst game and cut that up for our team to watch on Sunday so we can watch ourselves. That's always our deal. We want with else first, when we watched the next team we're going to play, and I think all of our staff has watched various bits and pieces and parts of games and watch goals, and so we've all seen William Smith in different games. But we're still working on the deep dive aspects because the travel plans and so many things that you have to do to get ready for this event. Being a national championship, there's there's a lot more things in the itinerary than when we just go and play Oh my gosh, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Like dot dot dot question mark.
Speaker 4: Well, just like, Okay, you've got to buy the extra banquet tickets by this date, and you've got to get your hotel rooms secured by this date, which was literally the day after we had traveled until eight pm Monday, night, you know, and then we're practicing at three, so you've got.
Speaker 2: To do that before. But a lot of times, you know, they're three hours behind us, so you can't call the hotel until eleven in the morning. Nobody's answering, you know, just just logistical things like that and finding practice. We're going out early on Wednesday, so finding ourselves a practice facility on Wednesday. There's just things that take time, and you know, but it's great. It's all part of it, and it's great to have to do that, and you know, we're super excited.
Speaker 1: What does this mean for the program on the whole to have reached a final four?
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's everybody's dream, right, I mean, it's it's been our program's dream. We've only been here once before, and you know, been fighting tooth and nail to try to get back here. And you know, I think anytime you're you're in this position, you're obviously your current team it's representing themselves, right, but you're you're really representing your whole program and every player that has put in their heart and soul into the program before them, And you know, you want to make all of those alumni who are so invested in are blowing you up and making the trip out there. You want to make them proud as well. And so it's not just a moment for our current team and our current staff, but it's for the past staffs and the past players. And so it's a really exciting time. And the support that we're getting here at Emory is just amazing from the other coaches, from the other staff members. I mean, it's just it's really fun. It's really really fun.
Speaker 1: Has your phone blown up?
Speaker 2: It has? It has a great way and a great way.
Speaker 1: What's the most random unanticipated contact that you've had, either in a text, a WhatsApp message if you do WhatsApp, or in a phone call.
Speaker 2: No, my gosh, that's a tough one. Well, I don't know. I got several of those unexpected text messages, you know, from friends that are Division one coaches, two players that are living abroad and Sweden and Hong Kong and Germany, and you know it just the list goes on to a former longtime assistant who's coming to Vegas, you know, to support us. I mean, it's just yeah, it's just a tremendous outpouring of well wishes and parents past player parents who have been emailing us like crazy.
Speaker 1: As you balance the whirlwind here. So you're leaving Wednesday to get out there so you can be at banquets and presentations and walks of fame and this kind of stuff. Is that what the deal is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think it'll be great to get on. You know, it's like anybody who's taking some big trip, whatever the trip is, you have all the stuff that you have to do, and then you get to the airport and then you get on the plane and you're like, Okay, there's nothing else I can do right now, Like right now, I just need to be in this moment. And I think we're looking forward to that, to that part, to getting on the plane when we know, okay, now we just need to be in the moment and I know, stay focused on the goal.
Speaker 1: Peter Johann Memorial Field, nine o'clock Eastern time, Friday night on the sixth. That is Emory and William Smith coach. As always, thanks for dropping by and hanging out with us for a one v one b safe, have fun, enjoy the final four. Thanks for dropping by as you always do, and may the SDH bump continue with you. As you hit that final four, thank you,