Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing to trail off. The countries are.
Speaker 3: Screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 4: Every now and then, I will uh, I'll come back from a weekend, even if it's a long weekend, which it was for me, but not for good reason. But anyways, I don't know why every now and then, and I can't. There's nothing consistent as far as what makes it seem this way. But today's one of those days where I feel like I have it been here and been on the air in like months. I don't know it fits because of the weather or what it is, but it is a Tuesday. It is coffee and company. We are fueled by Thornton's and I'm happy to be here. Thanks for hanging out with us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com Nick Coffee. That's me Austin Montgomery alongside today. Hopefully everybody had a good President's Day. We were supposed to be here and on the air, but it worked out where you may have just thought, hey, they must get President's Day off, which we did take the day off, but it wasn't wasn't planned because I was sick yesterday and I think I'm well, I know, I know, so I was going to say, I think, but I know that I am not the strongest when it comes to dealing with any kind of sickness. I don't get sick very often. You know, I'm relatively healthy. But I think because I rarely get sick, when I do start to feel like, okays off a little bit here, I probably turn into I don't know what do they call it, a hypochondriac. Is that's somebody that thinks they have everything.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, and you're dying basically. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And by the way, my wife, I hope she's listening. I wish you'd have been a little bit more supportive yesterday. I mean, I was, I was sick. She was off because of the holiday, I had to call in and head to the doctor because you know, I just's I knew I needed to get something taken care of. And I don't know, maybe I need to use the platform here to raise awareness that that the man flew is real and what women should be a little more supportive of their husbands when they're when they're not feeling well, because you know, I'm I mean, I was just laid up feeling like death yesterday, and I mean she was there but didn't make me any soup, didn't, you know, just I mean honestly didn't even like runs to the store rest. She was doing her cleaning mode and she's making all kinds of noise, and I'm like, can you not tell that I'm dying over here about.
Speaker 2: A little bit of courtesy?
Speaker 5: Did you get asked to clean too while you were sick?
Speaker 4: Or did she the curtis No, but she did the real uh passive aggressive cleaning, like wanting wanting me to make sure she wanted to make sure that I was aware that she was cleaning pots are yeah, exactly, just to get it, just to make you know. So that way I got to get up and try to help out, which I did, but yeah, she made.
Speaker 5: It all that extra some puffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it was it was, it was rough, and I thought I might have the flu. Thought maybe I don't know, is it apparently Dwight and Tony had pneumonia, somethinking maybe I got something from them something bad last week. And everybody that I know that has been sick, that has had to like miswork or whatever it may be, they've they act as if it's been the worst sickness they've had in a long time. So I wish I could tell you that that that that I was down that bad. But I think I'm just really weak because I ended up getting looked at and it's just a sinus infection, which you know is the thing good. It's nothing, it's nothing crazy sure yesterday. I mean rarely do I ever feel like, all right, I got to make the call, like I don't think I'm gonna be able to do it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: One, I couldn't stop cough, and that's clearly an issue whenever you have.
Speaker 2: A talk show, of course it is. You don't want to be coughing up along.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't one of those like where I just had like a really bad throat.
Speaker 2: I just out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: I would just start I would have like a coughing spell, and that's gotten better. My voice, I don't think is one hundred percent, but I'm not coughing nearly as much as I was yesterday. I've been taking some meds, popping. I'll be profing like crazy. So we're good, ready to ready to rock and roll.
Speaker 6: Having a good case of fomo, because I feel like everybody in this office has been sick except me. Now, you mentioned something last week. I sounded like that. I may have had like a little bit of scratchiness. I think of anything. That's probably been the worst of it now, probably about a month ago, after Christmas or around the holidays. I really did get my ass kicked with that. So maybe I caught it early before everyone else, and that's the cool thing to do nowadays. But I'm so glad I've avoided it and I've been here every day, but it seems like there's been a mixture of everyone in this office that has gotten that.
Speaker 4: Do you think I'm a jerk for coming to work knowing that I'm sick. No, No, I step right into your office. I am your germ bubble. So I'm gonna take this, this super spread, this shock, this pop filter thing that's on this microphone, I'm gonna take it with me when I leave.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 4: We actually have a few extra ones in here, so I'm just gonna put a different one on and I'm just gonna this will be the Nick Sick pop filter, because honestly, rarely do people ever use this microphone or this studio that I that I'm aware of.
Speaker 2: Now, that's true, it's not mine.
Speaker 4: So, but usually how I know if somebody uses it, as if I come back in here when I log in to do the show, if nobody, if it still shows that I was the last person logged in, that that means nobody's used it. And typically it's there's not many people that come in here. So but the reason I am that I'm here instead of doing the show from home is because I no longer had the option to do the show from home because snow that, of course, has has been coming down for the last couple of days.
Speaker 5: It has.
Speaker 4: It has led to my kid's daycare deciding to close. And look, I know I've talked about this before and I'm sure none of you care. And that's usually something I shouldn't want to tell I shouldn't bring up things that I know my audience doesn't care about, because you know that's not.
Speaker 2: Really how this works.
Speaker 4: But also, I got a platform, I got to use it, and it's gonna make me feel better for just like a milliseconds. So give me just a minute here and I'll lay out sort of what what I don't understand. And I've done this before, and I guess it's just an insecurity with me that I just need somebody to reassure.
Speaker 2: Me that that I'm not in the wrong here and.
Speaker 4: That that I have, I guess, the right to be as outraged as I am. And this has been a thing for years now. So if you're like a loyal listener and you remember this show, when we have whether that impacts you know, your commute, whether it be schools out that kind of stuff. Like I've talked about this many times over the years, but when my son goes to daycare and it snows, his daycare really like they close early, as if they're a school that has to get like that, they that has to get buses, you know, out in the treacherous weather to get.
Speaker 2: Kids home safe.
Speaker 4: And I've I mean So the reason I couldn't do the show from home is because my wife had to leave work early so she could go and and and get Moose from daycare because they're closing early because it was snowing.
Speaker 2: By the way, there's no issue with any roads at all, none at all.
Speaker 4: Not a I mean I there's no I didn't see any any road and I'm talking I drove here from from where I live in Bullet County. There's nowhere that looked as if the roads were even remotely an issue at all. But when they get a chance to, when they get a chance to not work and close early, they're going to do it.
Speaker 2: And it just does.
Speaker 4: It's never made any sense because again, daycare becomes more of like we need your services that we pay for more whenever you know, this kind of stuff's going on, and I just there can't. I mean, is anybody ever had their kid in a daycare that follows like closures like schools do? I mean, I've never understood that, because again, the reason schools are closing because of snow or you know, weather or whatever it may be, it is because they have buses, and those buses take kids to school, and it's dangerous thing. But parents don't get to not work whenever there's snow on the ground. I mean, some people do have the ability to work from home. And if you have like enough PTO built up and you're somebody that's scared to drive in the snow, or you're bad at it, whatever may be like, but it's not really just the thing that, Okay, looks like we got a little bit of snow on the ground. So everybody's off work today, so whenever you your kids don't have school and then they need to go to daycare or I mean, I've never been able to understand it. So today my wife, she she went and got Moose and came home, and obviously, you know, he's he's a little one, and I think it would be it would have been fine, but I don't want him yelling and hollering while I'm on the air. And she's not. You know, she's not a broadcaster. She works a different in a different field. So therefore, you know, she can probably deal with him and work more so than I could if I'm you know, hosting a radio show. So that's why I came in today. I was going to be at home, and I just have never I've never understood. And here's what's crazy is that, Like when they know snow, like you'll I drop Moose off at nine fifteen this morning at daycare, they sent a thing at ten forty five saying because it's snowing, they're closing at noon.
Speaker 2: Every kid has to be picked up.
Speaker 5: Like it's insane.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's insanity and it's been that way for years, and why you drop them off at that? Yeah, like and again what is you well? And we don't, we don't mess with it, like, we don't ever like push back because he likes sit there, He's.
Speaker 2: Gone there for a long time.
Speaker 4: He'll actually no longer be a daycare kid by the time we get to like, which is crazy.
Speaker 5: To say, boys, he's growing up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's not fun. But I'm very much looking forward to not having to deal with this kind of stuff again, just like now. And we're fortunate that we do have some flexibility with like our schedules and what we do.
Speaker 2: But a lot of people don't.
Speaker 4: I mean they just like you tell somebody, hey, your kid's got to be picked up at noon on no notice, Like you're probably gonna be able to figure it out some way, but I don't know, maybe.
Speaker 6: Not, Yeah, I mean for the reason that they think that they're closing down for like and they want you to come pick it back up during the whole or pick a chop back up in this weather, Like that's the reason that they're closing down, Like why didn't you like let us know this before we drop them off, So now you had to go through the trouble of going out into what they probably presume is dangerous or they don't want people on the road. That's a reason that they're shutting down anyways.
Speaker 4: Right exactly, So they don't care about us having to scramble in the snow. But you know, I this has been a thing for many years, and there's new there's a new management that kind of runs it, but it's still owned by the same people. But for whatever reason, they just at some point adopted like we're going to do what the school system does. And then they started to like not even do that, and they just decide randomly, yeah, it's cold outside, see you next week, like so whenever it became a thing, like people are just used to it now that go there. But initially there was some pushback and we would have like a forum, you know, on this app where you can like get updates on the daycare. And people would say, okay, well, like just because why are you why are you closing because it's snowing? Like what we we want to get our employees home safe because we care about their safety, which is such a crutch. How are you gonna you know that that's just a it's a it's an automatic thing you can go to to make it seem as if you're just worried about people being safe, rather than it be that you're actually, you know, I don't know, maybe not wanting to work a full day, but yet take our money, like we we don't get any credits for them, Take having our kids for an hour or two hours whenever it's supposed to be closer to I don't know, six seven hours, maybe eight.
Speaker 2: So you know, the.
Speaker 4: Pushback was, well, we just we worry about our staff. We want to make sure they can get home safe so the roads don't get bad. I'm thinking, well, do you realize that, like nobody else does that, Like that's not just that's not a thing, and it's such a you know, every every company's different, right, the type of job it is type of industry they could be more flexible. There's certain jobs to where like there's never any downtime, right like you work like that. There's assembly lines that you know have people work working them throughout the entire day. Twenty four seven, three sixty five.
Speaker 6: Oh, when I worked at UPS, when it snowed, that was the day that they needed you in the most.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, So you know, it's I know that nobody cares about this, but I I didn't plan on doing the show here today. I didn't plan on leaving the house. And it's not like you know, the end of the world. I got to get in the car and drive here. In fact, it's better for my mental health to leave the house because if I I do just sit around, I just.
Speaker 2: It's it's sad.
Speaker 4: But I also walked in here hoping like certain people didn't see me because they're going to think, oh, you're sick, you shouldn't be here, because like Vinattie told me that he was going to blame me, and I don't know if he did it on the air, but whenever him and Dwight get really sick, that they were going to put all the blame on me because I'm the only one that has kids, and I happened to be in the has studio for a few days the week before they got sick because I was filling in for Tony Cruz.
Speaker 6: So vallid blame, but I listened. I don't think that they mentioned it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So anyways, I just I've never ever been able to hear from anybody body who has had a daycare that's similar to where if it's if it's rain and hard or if it's maybe gonna snow, they're just deciding to not be open, and it's like, well, then, like what, I just I'm the rationale behind following what a school system does makes no sense considering that if if schools didn't have buses and it was just a requirement that you bring your kid every day, would we even have the same level of like being on alert about a snow day. No, It's like they don't quite grasp that they're not a school. Yes, they have they take care of kids, and there is an educational component to what they do to where they teach our kids.
Speaker 2: Which is great.
Speaker 4: But the reason that there are school closures is because of buses. That's that's that's why that is why.
Speaker 6: Now when you came in to day, did you kind of like sneak in back here, like not want to be seen, or was there like a whole greeting part because there's a ton of people here, We got.
Speaker 5: People in the ceilings, people put.
Speaker 4: Today, thinking like, all right, because of the weather, it'll probably be easy for me to just kind of sneak in. I pull in the garage and everybody's here, I'm like, oh man, I'm gonna look like a big jerk. And look, I could have I could have called and said, well, hey, I don't know if I'm gonna be able to do the show from home, because if I do, you know, my four year old son might maybe running around raising hell because you know, it's just what a four year old does sometimes. Then I would look like the bad guy, like not wanting to work when it's clearly not that. So, you know, I'm sure other people have had much bigger problems than I have. It's just I've it's one thing that I just I want to just have like an intervention with my kid's daycare and be like, do you understand that you're not that's not the same thing here, Like we need you to be like, for example, my daughter, you know, she didn't have in school today because she because of the flooding and whatnots they're on NTI like that alone throws us for a little bit of a wrench. And then whenever you've got daycare now just deciding yeah, we're closing at noon because it was snowing. This Like if they're sitting at their house right now, the people who decided, yeah, we're gonna call it a day and go home, like do they like, what do you do you think you made the right decision to be saved?
Speaker 2: You just wanted to take a half a day.
Speaker 4: I mean, like the roads were never bad and they're not bad now now maybe they get bad.
Speaker 5: Later we'll see, but it's supposed to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and by the way, are we I mean the flooding, which we'll get into some of that a little bit later on. Because I mean, I think I think we can say that at least in my lifetime this I'll be thirty seven. This summer, I think that the early month and a half or so two months I should say, of twenty twenty five weather it sucked. I mean we've had a lot of winter weather more so than we typically get. It stayed really cold for a long time to where that winter mess just lingered and wouldn't melt. And then of course the rain. I mean, they knew we were gonna be getting a lot of rain, and we did. I feel very blessed that my basement didn't flood, But I mean it's the kind of rain that you know, you don't see very often around here.
Speaker 2: And then again, I'm not I'm not gonna make.
Speaker 4: It about the meteorologists today, but I do feel like the snow that we woke up to on Sunday morning, that was.
Speaker 2: Who was talking about that?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: No, maybe maybe the attention was so much on the rain and how scary and severe that it was, which of course would be understandable, But I don't know if any I mean I was watching the weather more than ever because I wanted to see just how bad the flooding was going to be and which areas we need.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was we were.
Speaker 4: I was probably watching it more than I typically do, and I didn't remember seeing anything about any snow coming on Sunday morning. Now, No, I knew we were going to get it this week, and it sounds like we already I mean we already got some of it earlier today. It was snowing this morning, and then on my way in wasn't snowing. I guess maybe this evening it's supposed to.
Speaker 2: So stay safe. You know, I cannot I can't remember a two month.
Speaker 4: Roughly stretch where we've had this kind of weather that's impacted.
Speaker 5: I mean, we've got I feel like we live in Buffalo, New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we've got. We've got.
Speaker 4: The death count is up to fourteen after the floods, which is just I mean that's awful.
Speaker 2: And I mean I.
Speaker 4: Clearly there's still a lot of water, and if it gets so cold and everything freezes, that can't be good for anything.
Speaker 2: So stay safe.
Speaker 4: We've I mean, I'm somebody who's oftentimes said I enjoy winter weather, and I think compared to most i'd still say that I do. But man, I'm ready for it to go away. I'm ready for some warm weather and you know, more rain. And let's just I mean, it's it's been. It's been brutal, brutal. But yeah, it looks like that as far as snow totals, I mean, again, I don't think they were expecting us to get what we got on Sunday mornings, so they could always be wrong.
Speaker 5: We know that.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like this.
Speaker 4: Afternoon cloudy and cold, but the high's rolling going to be in the mid twenties. And I guess when it comes to the accumulating snowfall, I guess tonight early into tomorrow morning is when it's going to be the heaviest. And that likely means that we probably won't have school tomorrow for the kids around here, and everybody s just be prepared for that, because yeah, I mean, if they're if what they're I guess expecting is exactly what happens. I mean, we're looking at really anywhere between three to six inches for the for the region, and that's, uh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: About you guys, that's a lot.
Speaker 5: To me, that's a lot.
Speaker 4: Three to six inches, that's a lot. It's generous, it's exactly all right. Let's let's take a time out. I'll stop bitching about my my personal life, which I know none of you guys care about. But uh, we got a lot to get to when it comes to, uh to Louisville basketball, because uh, what a game on Sunday night, Another road victory, just beating up teams at their place, And I'm not bored with it by any means, but I do think that the ceiling for this team as far as seeding, that's that's where my interest is, because I really don't know what it is, and I think it's gonna come down to will the Committee factor in Louisville beating up on these teams more so than others? Right, They're not just you know, getting by on the road. I mean, they're playing teams that are allows you this year, but they're beating the hell out of them, and I just I think how much value the Committee will have in that.
Speaker 2: It's just it's anybody's guess.
Speaker 4: Kentucky loses another game, this time at Texas, certainly not a terrible loss, but life without Laman Butler and Jackson Robinson if that's sort of you know what they're going to be the rest of the way. They've already proven they can still beat some good teams when they're shorthanded, but their ceiling is not nearly as high. If if the team you saw on Saturday night like this is who they are, and that it's gotta worry some Kentucky fans for sure, So.
Speaker 2: All right, stick with us. We got we got you till six o'clock.
Speaker 4: It's coffee and company, and we are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right, coffee and company rolling along here on a Tuesday afternoon, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you hanging out with us.
Speaker 4: You can give us a call five hut two five seven one seventy nine hundred if you want to. And text line is the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line FABO two six five three zero seven ninety. A couple of you acknowledging my voice being a little off today, it's it's you know, I did I did well. I don't know if I gave you guys a warning or not, but I did discuss me, you know, dealing with some uh some. I feel like it's an exaggeration to call it an illness. It's a sinus infection kind of thing. And I'll be okay. But yeah, so if I sound weird, that's that's why this person says Nick may Well, and well, actually, before I get to this text somebody said they used to own a daycare and they've never heard of any daycare following UH closures like schools do. But this person texted in and mentioned that a lot of businesses, maybe like the daycare, assume that anybody can just work from home this day and age, and they take advantage of that.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's what's happening here.
Speaker 4: I just think these people are just looking for a reason to close down early and have a half day. And what childcare such if you if you know your kid is in a daycare that you they enjoy like, it's beneficial to them, they like it, they have friends, it's within your price range. I mean, that's a very important thing to have. And if it's good, you don't want to, you don't want to, you don't wanna, you know, mess it up. So I don't think, I mean, I don't want I want to say that they take advantage of that. But like I'll, I'll live with this. I just needed to complain, and you know, it made me feel a little bit better. So hopefully you guys, you know, didn't didn't mind that too much. But when it comes to the whole working from home thing, you know, I I've never everybody's different. And there were people who were working from home.
Speaker 2: Because that was their job.
Speaker 4: Like they were, they had a work from home job, a remote job before the pandemic even happened. But clearly it became a much bigger thing once we sort of had to figure out a way to work from home because of what was going on. But I personally, just me as an individual, I hate it. I'm not as productive as I need to be when I'm at home. I don't like not being around human beings. It's just bad from my psyche. But again, everybody's different. But I just it's hard for me to believe because there's some stuff that's that. You know, I'm sure there are studies out there, and I'm sure there's people listening right now that will tell you no, you're actually people are way more productive. Everything's just better, trust me, and you can throw whatever you want at I mean, I just don't know about I'm gonna believe that. I just I don't think that it's as healthy of an environment as far as a company. If like you never see anybody at all, I mean, I don't know, I mean, what do I know? I work in radio I just talk about sports and nonsense. So who am I to say what is good and what's not. But I just feel like the work from home thing. I keep thinking eventually it's just gonna fade. But I'm you know, maybe I'm maybe I'm way off here. But there are certain companies that over time, in the last few years, have just made it to where now we don't that's not what we're doing anymore. You need to be here every day. There's no reason for you not to be. You weren't hired to be a remote employee. We just had to do it for a while and then we tried it out in I guess a hybrid kind of situation. But now here we are many years removed from the pandemic, and we're back to where we were when you were hired. Here you need to be at work, and that's led to a lot of people looking for different jobs. And if you can go find a different job, and it's the balance you want as far as not having to leave your house as much, and it's the same type of gig you make the same money, then you know.
Speaker 2: Good for you.
Speaker 4: But there are there are many, I think companies out there that thought that that would be the way to go. They'd save money not having as much you know, office space, that kind of stuff. And I think over time they've just realized it's it's not maybe been as productive and as efficient if you know, everybody's everybody's working remotely. In fact, this this thread went went went viral on x slash Twitter, and there's some people claiming that it's that it's not real. I don't know if it's real or not, but it's just an interesting thing to think about because I don't know anybody body personally, like a friend or a colleague or anybody like that, that did this.
Speaker 2: But this would be kind of a nightmare.
Speaker 4: So this says that a friend somebody who shared a story about a friend, and again it could be made up.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: But even if this story is made up, I bet there's people out there that have maybe been in this position or know somebody that's been in a similar position. That somebody worked for a company that recently mandated or return to the office, but a lot of the employees had relocated to different places during remote work. Some made big life changes, new homes, new schools for their kids, only to be told they had to move back. Then shortly after relocating back, many were laid off. I don't again, I don't know anybody that's had that specific thing play out, But I mean, we had people here Austin. I don't remember who it was specifically, and honestly don't remember if they still work here.
Speaker 5: But once we once we shut.
Speaker 4: Down for COVID, and then we were phasing out of our old building into the new one. And clearly there's not near as much space here as there was at the old the old iHeart headquarters here in Louisville. But we had somebody that moved to Vegas and they were still doing the same job. They just didn't, you know. And I guess it really depends on what you do. But I'm telling you, if if I had, I would just feel like I'm not even if I was doing just as much work, if I was getting good, you know, good reviews quarterly from my boss, that kind of stuff. If I lived six states away and I just worked remotely, I would just feel like I'm a part time or I would feel like I'm not doing my part. And I again, I'm the one clearly in the minority here because I would say there's plenty of people right now that they've worked remote for a while now, maybe they've done it long before, Maybe they did it long before we had the pandemic. But I know for me, I'm not not as productive whenever I'm working remotely. Real quick, we'll move on and talk about some other nonsense, and of course COEP back to the sports, because that's what we do, we talk sports.
Speaker 5: This is this is a.
Speaker 4: Sad story that that I just saw. Yeah, it looks like this broke right before the show started. KFC's corporate offices here in Louisville it's leaving, so apparently one hundred, one hundred jobs could be could be impacted as they're they're they're relocating the young brands. It says here that yeah, they're going to remove the KFC US corporate offices are moving from Louisville to Plano, Texas, which which is where the Pizza Hut headquarters is. So yeah, it says in all, the company's latest move will affect one hundred corporate roles in ninety remote positions.
Speaker 2: That's that's not good. That's that's that's not good.
Speaker 5: Taken their eleven herbs and spices somewhere else.
Speaker 4: I know a couple of friends who work for corporate at at young and uh, I hope that their their job is not impacted.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's that was.
Speaker 6: Over there off Bishop Lane, right back where kind of where we used to work.
Speaker 5: Is that correct?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure beyond their headquarters, Okay, I know they one point had headquch. They at one point had some offices in Comers Crossing, which is over there near Preston Highway.
Speaker 5: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: Where their actual headquarters are are now because look a lot of these places that I mean, even if you didn't end up putting you know, eighty percent of your staff in remote positions where they work from home. A lot of people have moved and just downsize to have they don't need the same office space they needed twenty years ago. So I know they've moved a couple of times. But yeah, that's that. News just came in right before three o'clock. The KFC corporate offices here in Louisville will be no more as they're moving to Plano, Texas.
Speaker 2: So scary stuff, all right, So just some quick thoughts.
Speaker 4: On Louisville Notre Dame Sunday night. I mean, another beat down on the road. You now have twenty wins, and we're, you know, we're we're still what five games left in the regular season. So to be at twenty wins already and be in the position that Louisville is in back in the top twenty five, clearly still looking like a safe team in the tournament.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's awesome.
Speaker 4: I've enjoyed this season so much, but I will say I'm not really sure what different angles we can talk about this team. I mean, I'm loving it, and i know a lot of people are as well, but I've been very repetitive when it comes to just this team in this season, because I mean, it's been consistent, right, they've really since they I don't know when it was that they kind of started to get a little more comfortable in this new version of themselves. It's not new anymore, but really once they started, I mean, I think each game once they got back from the Bahamas and they knew they weren't getting Casing back, they knew Kor and wasn't going to.
Speaker 3: Play at all.
Speaker 4: Slowly but surely, while playing a really tough stretch of your schedule at that time, they were starting to get more and more comfortable in this new version of themselves where they had to make some adjustments. Obviously, guys were going to play a different role moving forward after those injuries because they were going to be relied upon you even more. I think, you know, specifically Jevon Hadley, I mean, that's somebody that really had to, I guess, find himself and and he has found a role that I think is as vital as any on this team. I wouldn't say he's the most important guy on this team, but then again, everybody's really important. I still think Chucky's the difference maker for you because defensively, he can just really I mean, he gets it started as far as just making life hell for the opposing team when he's just being a pest, and then that makes it to where, you know, by the time the other guys are are, you know, in a one on one situation, defensively, you know, Chucky sets the tone. I mean, he's he's a guy that you know, leads the acc and assists and in steals. That alone says it. So Chucky's really important, but so is Javon. And I think he's you know, I don't know, if you see Javon Hadley in this role, being this to being this important of a piece if Casen doesn't get hurt. Same thing with Terrence Edwards, you know, like he was always playing a lot of minutes. But I kind of feel like Terrence Edwards and even Chucky a little bit early on, you know, they they were they were just they were all split minutes, right you were. I mean that's one of the things that we talked about when it comes to this roster before the season started, before any injuries, is that, man, you got a lot of depth you can play. You know, you could basically play two different lineups and who knows which one's going to be better. Maybe one night this lineup's better, maybe different night, it's the other way around. But Terrence Edwards just, I mean, he was going to be playing a ton of minutes because of the injuries, and he found his comfort zone, right, He's he's going to be aggressive throughout. I'll have some nights where shots are falling, I'll have some nights where they're not. But if he stays aggressive, I mean that usually ends up working out well for everybody. So whenever it was, I don't know, I can't I can't pinpoint when when exactly it was that I felt like, Okay, this team actually might be pretty good, maybe they can make the tournament. Because it's not like we took full we took phone calls for three straight hours whenever Louisvill would lose to some of these teams like miss and Duke. But I remember kind of feeling like I was in the minority because I still felt like, yeah, you know what, these losses aren't ideal, and yeah, they're piling up. You don't want to have this many losses as you're really getting into conference play. But you know, here we are, and Louisville's lost what two games since December fourteenth? In fact, they've lost one game since they lost to Kentucky on the fourteenth of December. They only lost one game since then. So and look, I know that the schedule is, it is what it is. The ACCS is not having a good year by any means.
Speaker 2: But I think really.
Speaker 4: Virginia on the Carolina was at that time, Carolina didn't know they were going to be as bad as there, which, by the way, somehow Carolina is still believed to be on the bubble, which I think is crazy. But Carolina Virginia, Clemson in Pittsburgh. Those were the four games where I felt like, Okay, they're not just you know, winning. I mean they won all of those games by double digits, and then one by four at pitt and then after that they blew out Syracuse did the same thing against Virginia SMU. You remember what we looked at the SMU game as, uh oh, this SMU team, they're kind of pesky. They're looking like a tournament team. And you go down there and you beat the hell out of them, ninety eight to seventy three. Chucky and Rain broke records, Wake Forest, they come to town at that time, have the same record as you, have a better win than you do, and you know, you just didn't know, Okay, is this is going to be the night that maybe this team kind of comes back down to earth a little bit.
Speaker 5: And they won.
Speaker 4: That game about double digits. So I mean, this team, I love it. It's been a fun ride so far and I don't want it to ever end, but it's it's getting pretty hard to you know, it's not hard to do, it's just I don't want to be so repetitive. But that's that's kind of where we are. I mean they've for the most part since the beginning of December, the results have really been the same. More often than not, they're winning and they're blowing teams out. Now, unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of value with a lot of these wins in the ACC, but there's nothing you.
Speaker 2: Can do about that.
Speaker 4: If I have one complaint, it's that we have another week off technically six days, but still they're back in action on Saturday, hosting Florida State, another game that they should be big favorites. Ken Palm Projects. They win that one about thirteen, wouldn't be shocked if they win it by much more than that. So really, you can never take anybody lightly. We saw what happened against George the Tech where they just you know, wasn't their night and it was George Tech's night. So they've shown and they've proven throughout that they'll there. I mean again, it'd be different if the George Tech loss was because Louisill came out feeling too good about themselves. They just they it wasn't their night and George Tech played really well, and it happens. But I think this team is proven that they're not going to show up in any of these five games remaining feeling as if they don't need to come out and play really hard. I mean, they've done that really consistently for the last two months. So looking at the rest of the rest of the season, I mean a twenty five and six record is not only realistic, I'd say it's slightly I mean, they will play Pittsburgh at home, and I've always believed this Pittsburgh team should be better than they are, but they're not right. I mean they've Pittsburgh has I mean since the beginning of January. I mean Pittsburgh has let's see, they're three and eight since January seventh. I mean they're terrible. They're really bad. So even though I think their talent is better than it seems with their record, I mean, I'd be shocked if Louisville somehow wasn't able to win that game. So the question I have, and again we'll never know until we get to selection Sunday, what does Louisville at twenty five and six look like to the selection committee? Because that really is a pretty gaudy record, and you would be able to say that you got to the end of the year without really any bad losses. The Bors' loss, of course is to Georgia Tech. But that's not as bad of a loss as you think. I'm not an anyway saying it's a good loss. It certainly doesn't look the same as losing to Kentucky at rup, losing to Duke at home, losing to Ole Miss on a neutral court, Tennessee at home. Like those wins are even even in the ones that were blowouts. I mean, those are teams that everybody knows is good. George Tech's not. But still like they're they're borderline top one hundred. It's not like you're losing to It's not like a quad four loss or Quad three loss. So I think what it's going to come down to is how much does the committee actually value the eye test? Right, Like, Louisville's not just winning in a down acc they're killing teams. But that's just like you know, that's there's not anything within a team sheet or a metric that's gonna, you know, to tell us if the Committee's going to factor that in or not. Also, we know that the net isn't the end all be all right, it's just one of the metrics they use and it's valuable, but again it's not. It doesn't you know, they don't just seed the tournament based off of where you are specifically in the net. But if you're somebody that wants to see Louisville, you know, higher than a seven or a six even, you're gonna hope that they do really value the net because that's one of the things that looks good about Lowell's resume right now. So I assume they're going to keep taking care of business, beating these teams that they're a lot better than, and I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 2: I can tell you that.
Speaker 4: All right, some other things we'll get into throughout the afternoon before we get out of here at six o'clock. The NCAA is apparently working with their TV partners to expand the tournament. We'll tell you how many teams they are looking at putting in. I look, I'm still gonna love the tournament, but I can tell you I don't think it needs to be expanded. In fact, I don't think it needs to be. I mean, I'd be fine if they got rid of like the play in games. I think those are kind of silly. Also, Netflix, apparently they want to get in the game when it comes to NFL Sundays, they are looking into potentially having Yeah, I mean that that would be I mean, it wouldn't be bad news for people who already are there when it comes to streaming and having Netflix and whatnot. But Netflix didn't have the logan Paul. Is it Logan Paul or Drake Paul. The thought was yeah, Jake Paul and Mike Tyson. And then they did and they did two NFL games on Christmas Day on Netflix. Like they weren't just doing that for fun. They're continuing to see sort of if they're able to compete with the others that are out here carrying live NFL games every Sunday. And I mean, I would say from the coverage and just how well everything went on that Christmas Day of those NFL games, I mean I think, I mean when I whenever that ended, I remember thinking to myself, Netflix should just buy ESPN from Disney. That's not as easy of a transaction just say hey when we pick up the phone to make an offer. But like, I think Netflix would would thrive with with with having that having having I mean, Netflix is already the monster when it comes to streaming, right I mean, clearly it has a lot more competition now than it's ever had with Amazon Prime, Paramount plus Hulu. Like there's all kinds of streaming platforms out there, but Netflix is still the top dog. And there's like two or three things they're apparently looking at kind of dipping their toe in, And if they do, I mean, they'll probably own that category if they want to. I don't know if they'll own the NFL, but I feel like they could if they wanted. Also, Jeff Brom talked a little earlier today as they're getting set for springball. Miller Mass set his first Louisville press conference, and there was one thing that really stood out to me that I wanted to share with you guys coming up a little bit later on. So again, stick with us. We'll take you up till six o'clock. It's coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right, coffee and Company rolling along here on a Tuesday afternoon. Thanks for hanging out with us. Don't forget to take us with you. Anywhere you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com.
Speaker 5: So this Tex says Nick.
Speaker 4: Do you think Louisville blowing out these teams is by design from Pat Kelsey to make sure you don't fall in the net of the kin palm, or just because Louisville is that much better than these teams. I would say a little bit of both. I don't get the sense that I don't get the sense that they're out there, you know, calling timeouts to say we got to win by thirty and right now the lead is at twenty six, so let's make sure we finished strong. But yeah, I mean, this day and age, you need to know that the schedule, you know, the margin does matter. And it's not just the teams out there. In fact, let me give you two examples, and Louisville, I guess could have prevented this. But when Louisville played Indiana and beat them by what seemed to be a billion and I'll always remember this because this is just how Indiana is this year, which I got. I guess technically they can, I mean not when I see Lenardi's updated bracketology, he has Indiana in the next four out, in Carolina in the first four out, which I just think is crazy.
Speaker 5: But anyways, Indiana.
Speaker 4: When Louisville played, the final score was let's see, let's see here, Louisville won eighty nine to sixty one, and that again, that's a beatdown. Indiana in the last like ninety seconds used a thirteen to two run or something to get it that close. And they were out there with starters in because they were aware that, you know, getting beat by forty and getting beat by thirty and or twenty five, there's gonna be a difference as far as how bad this hurts us in the metrics.
Speaker 2: Same thing with wake Forest. Wake Forest was getting killed.
Speaker 4: Louisville only won seventy two to fifty nine, still a double digit victory, but that game towards the end, you know, maybe you can say Louisville let off the gas, or maybe it's just that, hey, despite this game being over before halftime, we got to make sure we don't end up getting beat as bad as as it looked like it was going to be, because we're already going to take a hit when it comes to the metrics. But anything you can do to not make it as bad, you're gonna try to do so I would I would lean more so it being about Louisville just really being that that much better. And look, there's really not a lineup Pat Kelsey can put in. That's that that's you know, that's the human victory cigars right like he could. He does put the walk Ons in at some point, right like you've seen I mean Antonelli. I mean he gets in every now and then towards the end of the games, but that's usually when it's like the very very end.
Speaker 2: So it's probably a little bit of both as far as.
Speaker 4: Being strategic and making sure, hey, let's not and and if not, they need to be mindful of it. And by the way, I should do a better job at clarifying when I talk about the metrics, the Ken palm, the net, all that kind of stuff, because I don't think that that's the way that it should be, but it's been that way for years now that you need to make adjustments as far as how you schedule and really how you finish games. Like I think it's stupid that Louisville has to beat some of these teams by twenty or twenty five if they want to actually jump up potentially one or more spots in the net, Like, that's stupid. The formula is flawed, but it is what it is, and it's been that way for many years. That if you now are coaching a college basketball program and you're not mindful of this when you schedule, you're not mindful of this whenever you finish a game, like it's on you. It's just not doing your job. So again, the one that always stands out, it's Wake Forest. Louisville beat Wake Forest by double digits and fell, and that's because Wake Forest is just stupid as far as how they scheduled, and I mean they put themselves in that position. I watched Wake Forest. I don't know if they end up winning that game or not. I don't remember how it finished, but I still watch them play. I think they're good. I think they have a good team, but right now they're the last team in according to Leonard, and I think that's their fault. Again, I guess technically you could claim it's also the fault of like the formula itself the net because it shouldn't be the way that it is. But Wake Forest when they put their schedule together, they knew that playing four to five teams that are in the three hundreds was only going to hurt you unless you win those games by like fifty points each game, which is just not realistic. So by the way, wake Forest they did hold on and beat SMU at SMU, which was a big win for him. So maybe that's why they're now looking like a team that might actually be able to sneak in. But again, to answer your question, I would say it's a little bit of both. I think Louisville, I mean, they've got it's not like they can put in, you know, a couple of freshmen that never get to play but have a lot of talent. I mean, the only freshman on the team is Kenai Russ, who is a really talented player.
Speaker 2: The guys who play.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's your team, right, I mean, I'm sure there are teams all across the country that if certain guys get in, I mean you know that it means like, for example, let me give you an example with Kentucky. And I'm only using them because they're another local team that I'm sure a lot of people listening have some familiarity with, Like Kentucky right now, And maybe they're not a team to use as a good example because of the because of the situation with their recent injuries, But when they had everybody healthy, guys like Travis Perry, Trent Noah, and even Colin Chandler, those were guys that like they were if you have everybody healthy and it's a really close game throughout against a good team, there's a good chance those guys are going to play very little or maybe not even at all. Well, now, Travis Perry's got a start, so I mean, but Colin Chandler is probably the example to use for Kentucky because like, that's somebody that that you know, maybe eventually is going to be really good for him, but like right now, he's just not in the rotation.
Speaker 3: Louisville.
Speaker 2: Louisville's roster is the rotation.
Speaker 4: I mean, Big Frank, He'll get minutes every now and then, and I love I mean, I think he's actually low key a great example of why this team is thriving and playing well because the that dude's role is not something that many guys would really be out there looking for. Meaning he's not getting a ton of minutes. He's there just kind of to give give some guys a break every now and then, not you know, not not hurt You give us two minutes, three minutes and stretches and don't hurt us, right like, don't get scored on, get a rebound if you know you're near the rim, dunke it, that kind of stuff. But he thrives in doing exactly that, and he takes pride in doing exactly that. But yeah, I mean, right now, I mean, Noah Waterman, he's getting minutes and they're trying to get him back to you know where he mean, but he's in a rough stretch for him. But yeah, I mean, I'm just looking at the roster. Everybody that's healthy, they're playing a lot of minutes. You bring Treyri off the bench obviously, but he you know, but he's not somebody. I mean, he's somebody that since being healthy, he's playing more than twenty minutes a game for the most part.
Speaker 2: And you've got Kennai.
Speaker 4: But other than that, I mean, when it comes to Casein Korn, I mean even Big Frank, there were times even when Louisville. In fact, I'm not even sure if he played the other night against Notre Dame. Maybe he did and I just don't really remember it. Yeah, he didn't get he had and he has not played in the last two games. So I would say that's why Louisville is able to I mean, I just think that they're They're going to play forty minutes with roughly the same seven eight man rotation, and they're just honestly a lot better than some of these teams. Like I think Louisville has a starting five that we don't probably have the best in the ACC at any position, maybe maybe other than point guard, because I think Chucky's that good.
Speaker 2: But obviously there's some other really good I mean, let's be.
Speaker 4: Real, there's some other really good guards in this league as well, even on the teams that aren't great. But the five, the starting five essentially, I mean, it really works well. And I know, look, both both things can be true. I think, I mean, Louisville, I think they are easily be in my opinion, I think they're the second best team in this league.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm you know, biased when I say that, So either way, maybe it's one. Maybe it's Clemson and Louisville tied for being the second best team behind Duke so and I think all three of those teams are pretty good.
Speaker 2: In fact, Duke's really good.
Speaker 4: Clemson and Louisville I think wouldn't be a shocker if both of them men up in the sweet sixteen. So you know that's what I think of him. I'm also willing to acknowledge that everybody outside of that not very good, if we're being honest. All right, two more hours left. I need to give my voice in order. It's fading me, but it's okay. We'll finish strong. Two hours left right here on Sports Talk seven ninety