Speaker 1: Hi, I'm doctor Shiloh and I'm doctor Scott.
Speaker 2: And this is La Not So Confidential, the forensic psychology and true crime podcast.
Speaker 3: Each episode we explore the intersection of psychology, the criminal justice system, and entertainment.
Speaker 2: Today our episode is on the forensic psychtopic of poisoning.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everybody. It is our second to last episode here for La Not So Confidential. How is that for you, Doctor Shiloh?
Speaker 1: That sounds really weird.
Speaker 2: It does, like literally only one more to research and record, because of course our behind the Couch for the end of this month is already done as well.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know how I feel about it. Feels great and also sad.
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, we can feel ambivalent about it, right like we I think we were very proud of what we've accomplished over these eight years, and also where we're going to be going in the future, which is going to be fun, and neither of us know what that's going to be.
Speaker 2: I think that's the exciting part, kind of like daydreaming and fantasizing about what I will do with extra time and I don't know, just like scheduling wise and what we could put on our plate when we have had, you know, a very good break.
Speaker 3: So yeah, really I got a palette cleanse for our brain in a.
Speaker 2: Way, right, definitely, definitely, Well, today we're talking about poisonings, but in episode twenty twelve we talked about stabbings sort of. I mean our topic was peakerism, a very specific sexual paraphilia often associated with serial murder cases. We covered some interesting historical cases and case studies and discussed whether or not we think pikurism was a factor in the Idaho four case. So a good old fashioned, elle not so confidential episode for sure.
Speaker 1: Please go back and listen if you haven't yet.
Speaker 3: And then in episode two thirteen, we had a great interview with retired detective Mike Weber. He co wrote a book called The Mother next Door with Andrea Dunlop of the podcast Nobody Should Believe Me. We discuss his expertise and investigations of medical child abuse aka factitious disorder by proxy, and talk about one of the cases highlighted in their book.
Speaker 2: Such a great interview, Please go back and listen, so good if you haven't. It's just this whole other world of detective investigations, really specific.
Speaker 1: And he told us.
Speaker 2: He's retired now, but he's continuing to train, which is awesome, which.
Speaker 3: Is great his expertise. And I will also say it's not often that we carve out time here to talk about podcasts you should go listen to. I mean we suggest every once in a while, but I was not familiar with nobody should believe me. Somehow that had slipped under my radar. And now I've been marathoning all the seasons for the last two weeks as I do my field work, as I'm driving all over La County. It is a roller coaster ride. The entire series is just like a completely me yelling what the fuck over and over again in the.
Speaker 1: Car heavy staff. That's a lot to listen to on that topic.
Speaker 2: I mean, the book was phenomenal and our conversation with him was really good, So yeah, I can imagine that the podcast is a lot but done really really well, and it's been on the top of the charts for years now. So well, I mean, should we get on with our second to last Forensic Sach episode.
Speaker 3: Let's jump into it. So we've got a classic here, a lot of history, a lot of case examples for us, and full on personality disorders, So let's do it so. The Oxford Dictionary defines poison as a substance that is capable of causing the illness or death of a living organism when introduced or absorbed, And so for as long as people have had act to herbs, minerals, powders, and various bits and pieces of the animal kingdom, they've had the power to heal and to harm. Most data about murders via poisoning use a definition of poisoning that includes standard poison, but also murdering with a poisonous use of narcotics like sleeping pills. The FBI does not include poison gas because that falls under the category of asphyxiation. Very interesting there. So most cases of poisoning involve one perpetrator and one victim who know each other pretty well. Poisoning is an intimate crime, and Hollywood loves showing us up pernicious powder slipped into a drink from a heavily jeweled ring, a noxious nectar mixed with a salve, or a deadly draft mixed into a delicious dinner. Okay, that's enough alliteration right Across cultures, the line between cure and curse was razor thin. And in every age, societies have asked the same anxious question, who controls these powerful substances and what happens when they choose to harm instead of heal? And yes, I will take full responsibility for writing those terrible alliterations. I figured why not go out here at the end of our run with a purple prose?
Speaker 2: Bang right, Okay, I'm glad you said that, so we knew it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Chat gpt right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So trigger warning for this episode. We don't get into the nitty gritty of much, but of course we are talking about murder today, murder of family members, including children and the elderly. And then some descriptions and mentions of illness as a result of poisoning in what people have gone through.
Speaker 3: So let's look back through the history books. The use of poison as a way to end to life, both instantly as well as through a grueling illness, has a long and significant history, particularly in the way that it is a hidden and surreptitious method that allows the poisoner to hide their actions. Poisoning's long and often covert history is a method of crime has evolved alongside societal shifts and scientific advancement in substance and the methods of implementation and delivery.
Speaker 2: In Egyptian texts, there are records of the use of snake, venom, hemlock, and opium for healing, assassination, and self harm within the famous story of Cleopatra experimenting with various toxins on royal prisoners before choosing the ASP as the most likely successful route to enter.
Speaker 1: Her own life.
Speaker 2: And in ancient India, poison wasn't just a weapon, it was a specialized craft requiring a wide range of knowledge and skill. Historical texts described the practice of raising vishakanyas or poison maidens. Allegedly, these children from infancy were microdosed with poison until their very bodies became lethal. Their kisses or even their touch was thought to be deadly. Indian military texts also detail pragmatic tactics like contaminating enemy wells and smearing arrows with toxins from snakes or rotting animal matter, basically biochemical warfare. The Chinese practice of gu poisoning arose from a practice where venomous insects and snakes were sealed in a vessel until only one survived. Allegedly, the resulting tocsin was believed to cause wasting, illness, and enemies, and was considered a form of black magic, often linked to women, of course and marginalized groups in southern China, and.
Speaker 3: While their goals were different, Chinese emperors seeking immortality would unknowingly cut their lives short by ingesting alchemical mixtures that contained substances like mercury, arsenic, or lead, a practice that bafflingly went on four centuries. I guess no one wants to say no to an emperor, right, hm?
Speaker 1: Weird?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very strange and current.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: At the same time, Eastern traditional medicine sometimes successfully operated on the principles that a practitioner used poison to attack poison a verified version of this or classical vaccinations for smallpox and the flu, and at the other end of the medical spectrum are like homeopathy. At the same time, Greek physicians such as Diascorides and Galen catalog poisonous plants alongside remedies, underscoring the often incorrect belief that the line between medicine and poison was razor thin and it was determined only by dosage and intent.
Speaker 1: So if you.
Speaker 2: Wanted someone dead. In ancient Rome, without drawing a sword, you reached for venium. That one little word could mean medicine, a love potion, or straight up poison, and the Romans were so spooked by it that Sola wrote it right into law through the lex Cornelia descarsis at Venefesis in eighty one BCE, making poisoning officially a crime. But it wasn't just legal theory. Rome had some very real poison scares. Take three point thirty one BCE. Live tells us about the so called Matrons poisoning panic, in which during a plague, dozens of elite women were accused of secretly mixing He's deadly poisons that were promoted as cures. Were they murderers or victims of mass hysteria hard to say, but the city responded with trials and executions, and mass hysteria turned the focus on women again. I mean, how many times have we talked about this.
Speaker 3: Over and over and over. At that time laws were written against the practice of poisoning because the blur between medicine and magic. There were trials, executions, and political scandals often turned on the suspicion that someone had turned from a pharmacist into an assassin. At a historical time when home remedies were often the first line of defense against illness, families were expected to have a wide range of ingredients right on hand. Fast forward a few centuries in a crime scene looks a lot more targeted and Imperial Emperor Claudius dead after eating mushrooms served by his wife Agrippina. Tacitus and Suanitas both describe it. One version even has a doctor finishing him off with a poisoned feather. I mean, hey, he's almost dead. You can use that feather over there to see beat up the process, I guess. And then there's Lacusta, the professional poisoner. Nero basically kept her on a retainer in fifty five CE he wanted his rival Britannicus out of the way, and Tacitus says that Lacusta whipped up a brew that got slipped into his drink and boom, Britannicus collapsed at the table. Lacusta became infamous, the ancient world's first celebrity poisoner. She could have had a whole episode on Dayline for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, I would watch that.
Speaker 2: So with the combination of these panicked, accusations, imperial intrigue, and basically professional hit jobs. Poisoning haunted Rome's imagination for many years. So remember the lex Cornelia made sure to codify these crimes as punishable. Potion use could easily turn into prosecution, and the punishments fit the crime. And of course the use of poison wasn't regulated just to Eastern or Western so we.
Speaker 3: Started with an overview of criminal poison use in the ancient world. But here's where it gets even more interesting. The way religion and law turned poisoning, and that's where the term starts to get a little loose, turned it into a tool for controlling women. You know that famous line from the King James Bible, thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. But that word which isn't in the original Hebrew, the text says macasifa, basically a female ritual specialist. When it got translated into Greek, the word became pharmacose and that could mean healer, drug maker, potion mixer, or poisoner, and by the time it hit Latin, it morphed into malificos or just evildoers, and the English translators of the sixteen hundreds living in the middle of a witch panic settled on which so instead of broomsticks, we're really talking about people, often women, who knew how to make potions. And in a world where medicines and poisons sat right next to each other in the same cabinet, that knowledge was terrifying to people. That anxiety shows up everywhere. The existing Roman laws about thaneficium and the poison panic in the Middle Ages, and of course the witch trials. Yeah, I mean that says everything about how seriously they took it. Then in Renaissance Italy, poison became part of everyday political drama. City records in Florence listed poison prices and contracts. There's the well known shadowy reputation of the entire Borgia family, with multiple members accused fairly or not, of lacing wine with arsenic at banquets. Then there are later figures like Julia Tafauna, who created and delivered a clear, tasteless and odorless liquid into bottles labeled as holy water or cosmetics. It was named Aqua Tofauna. The poison was intended to give women a means to end permanently their abusive relationships by dosing their husbands slowly over weeks. The symptoms started out as low key enough that it looked like a natural illness, weakness, stomach pain, wasting away. It was a perfect cover. But at the heart of all of this is arsenic. Sometimes with the little lead or belladonna thrown in, but the heavy lifter arsenic. Its colorless, odorless, tasteless one dissolve, and once inside the body it systematically shuts down vital processes. Victims would start with violent stomach cramps, then nausea and vomiting. Diarrhea was so severe that it led to dehydration. The victim's skin would slowly lose color, becoming an ashen gray, sometimes even further marred by dark lesions, and in high doses it calls convulsions and collapse of the cardiovascular system. But in slow doses, like with aquatafauna, it looked like tuberculosis or simple decline, which was called consumption.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: That's like the start of all of the sort of black widow cases that we hear.
Speaker 1: About right exactly so, in the Middle.
Speaker 2: Ages, in Scandinavia, noble women like Blanche of Namor, Queen of Sweden and Norway were accused of resorting to poison against rivals. Current researchers proposed that these accusations might be political smears, But the important thing is that the idea of female poisoners was powerful enough to stick around for thousands of years. By the fifteen hundreds, England cranked things up with the Poisoning Act of fifteen thirty. It was so extreme that it made poisoning high treason. The punishment wasn't hanging or beheading, it was boiling alive. One of the first executed was Richard Ruce, a cook accused of poisoning a pot of porridge in Bishop John Fisher's household. He was literally boiled to death in Smithfield Market. So through the Middle Ages and Renaissance, poisoning wasn't just a crime. It was a cultural obsession, tangled up with witchcraft trials, royal scandals, and social control. And at the center of it all was the same anxiety we saw back in Rome. Who controls the potions and what happens when that power is used to kill instead of cure.
Speaker 3: But a key historical event that is recorded are the accusations against Ellenor Cobbham, Duchess of Gloucester in fourteen forty one, She was accused of witchcraft and sorcery, including trying to poison King Henry the sixth through the use of her potions, and Eleanor ended up in prison for life. Whether or not the poison was really involved, the charge itself carried that leathles association with witchcraft.
Speaker 1: So here's the paradox.
Speaker 2: While poisoners were feared, this era also gave us the birth of the science of toxicology. Doctors started experimenting, documenting symptoms, and basically building a science of detection. By the nineteenth century, it was front page news the so called poison panic. Easy access to arsenic and other poisons made the public very paranoid, and trials of accused poisoners became sort of the new media spectacle. The slow burn effect was part of its power. A husband or a rival could weaken over the weeks, losing weight, their hair, becoming brittle, skin pale, until they just essentially wasted away. No suspicious knife, woo, no obvious crime scene, just this lingering illness, and without chemical tests, no one could prove otherwise. This is where the science starts to change the story. Paracelsus, a Swiss physician in the early fifteen hundreds wrote quote, all things are poison, and nothing is without poison. Only the dose makes the poison end quote, which is true to medications and things that we talk about in today's day and age. Certainly circling back to earlier Eastern perspectives, Paracelsus looked at substances like arsenic and mercury not just as tools for murder, but as potential medicines if measured carefully.
Speaker 1: He gave us the idea of dose.
Speaker 2: Response, the foundation of toxicology. He helped to turn the focus from poison as a dark, mysterious force, something tied to witches, sorcery, or secret criminal plots, to chemistry and the dose the same arsenic that can kill you in grams might cure certain ailments in milligrams. He dragged poison out of the realm of superstition and into science.
Speaker 1: Imagine that, and.
Speaker 3: By the nineteenth century, Matthew Orphela, sometimes called the father of modern toxicology, developed chemical tests to actually detect arsenic in tissues. Suddenly, poisoners couldn't hide behind mystery illnesses anymore, and.
Speaker 2: That's why arsenic earned the nickname the King of Poisons and the poison of kings.
Speaker 1: It was used to.
Speaker 2: Murder peasants, noblemen, and even emperors. But it also forced us to invent the science that finally exposed it. And this is when the government's cracked down. Britain's eighteen sixty eight Pharmacy Act restricted poisons to license pharmacists and even required sales to be logged. In the United States, dozens of states followed suit. They even made special textured poison bottles so people wouldn't mistake them in the dark. And in nineteen o six, the Pure Food and Drug Act banned dangerous ingredients and the nineteen twenty Dangerous Drugs Act targeted opiates. And in the modern world, while we see fewer poison murders, the pattern continues. When it does surface, it's often in healthcare settings, serial poisoners abusing access to medications. But now toxicology is incredibly advanced and we can detect trace levels of toxins that would have been invisible just a century ago.
Speaker 3: When we talk about poisoners, the truth is that our field psychology has not paid them as much attention to other forms of overt violence, or even the direct focus of studying serial killers of which poisoners can be a subset. The twenty fifteen systematic review by Terrant and Glorny examining poisoning cases from eighteen fifty to twenty fourteen, has laid a foundation for more of an understanding of the motivations and the profiles of these perpetrators. So what Terrant and Glorny found was surprisingly consistent across time and cultures. You can almost sketch a prototype poisoner. It is someone often tied to healthcare or science fields, where they both have access to an array of potentially poisonous substances and the knowledge of how to use them. Many of the profile studies show individuals with complex personality traits that are shaped by their life histories like attachment issues and those made them more vulnerable to committing these crimes. Their motives are rarely random. Poisoning was usually about secondary gain, and secondary gain is the indirect benefit that a person receives from their symptoms or behavior, such as attention, financial compensation, or avoiding responsibility, and that's beyond the primary effect of the condition itself. So in these cases, the drive is the money, control or reclaiming power over a victim right.
Speaker 2: So kind of pointing out the obvious here. But I'm sure at this point us and our listener are all kind of picturing this emerging ven diagram, of course, including a circle that is a factitious order by proxy, right, because what you're talking about really describes that, among some other things that we're going to get to. And from an article from our friend and colleague, doctor Joni Johnston, she posits that poisoners tend to be cunning, methodical, and risk adverse. So unlike offenders who use physical violence, poisoners actually avoid confrontation, so instead they tend to plan carefully, manipulate others, and strike in ways that con seal their hand. Some experts compare their methodical planning to writing a script for a play. Every step kind of mapped out, every risk considered.
Speaker 3: Another theme that emerged in tarant and Glormy's research was, of course, the substantial factor of mental health. A substantial number of poisoners had suspected or even diagnosed psychiatric conditions, and that influenced how they managed their emotions and their relationships. This is again reflected in doctor Johnson's research that shows poisoners often show signs of emotional immaturity and inadequacy, and they're thought to compensate for these perceived deficits through manipulation, a hunger for control, fantasies of power, and an exploitive interpersonal style. Many were spoiled or came from unhappy homes. Psychologically, it's as if they never grew up. They take what they want without regard for others, driven by greed, lust, or resentment rather than empathy or moral restraint. Definitely leaning heavily here on the influence of narcissistic elements within their personality. Put together literature and case files show that they have recognizable patterns. The studies authors suggest that these patterns could be the basis for an early warning system that would help professionals spot suspicious behavior before it escalates into a crime.
Speaker 2: That's a good foundation, I mean, I think we're starting to get a picture, just personality wise of what's going on, and now naring down to a perspective on the mental health factor. A really interesting point is that poisoners don't fit neatly into the usual criminal boxes. Poisoners show traits of both the so called organized and disorganized defenders. When you dig down a little deeper, I do want to say we don't use this caveat much, but it's worth noting that with these descriptors, they're not to be confused with the psych use of them in evaluations, where we might talk about someone being organized versus disorganized, which really kind of in that case refers to an individual's executive functioning processes. In this use, we mean that those are just planners, very careful planners, versus those that are more impulsive. So you know, we have some overlap and like our psych folks and our listeners and just you know, true crime criminal justice listeners, and I think sometimes we have to make that differentiation.
Speaker 1: And we don't.
Speaker 2: So having said that, on the organized side, they're meticulous choosing poisons that are colorless, tasteless, slow acting, and really tough to detect, all while leaving almost no physical evidence behind. But at the same time, they can still behave in disorganized ways, acting erratically or leaving small clues that they didn't mean to. Successful poisoners are often calculating and deliberate, yet they still might slip up, either emotionally or maybe logistically or practically. Take Mary Anne Cotton, a nurse go figure who is often called Britain's first female serial killer in the nineteenth century, she poisoned at least fifteen people, usually her own children and husbands, with arsenic, and for years she got away with it by making their deaths look like natural illnesses. But her slip up came when she started talking too freely about collecting life insurance before her last victim had even died. That inconsistency ray suspicion, and toxicologists finally tested the bodies, finding the arsenic she thought was invisible. It's a classic example careful planning on one hand and a careless human mistake on the other that brought everything crashing down. So when we turn to look at personality traits a little bit more closely and kind of start tying this in with what we know about criminal psychology, I think the discussions in our field, though often anecdotal, do commonly describe poisoners in certain ways. So generally throughout the literature, you're going to see them described as cunning, remorseless, and even greedy, especially when it does come to financial gain and the stories of collecting life insurance policy after life insurance policy. But we also see them described as calculating about their timing, like really doing the research and knowing how long the toksin will take to act, and then also preparing alibis accordingly. So to this extent, it's probably not surprising that they're also described as being highly intelligent and methodical in studying poisons and planning. So they're having to utilize dangerous substances that could harm them too, right, so there has to be really this careful planning and execution so they don't end up becoming a victim of their own deadly aspirations. Here, we also see in the research that they tend to exhibit those dark triad traits that we've talked so much about before, especially machavelianism, you know, that cold hearted detachment that really leads to manipulation being something easy for them and easy skill for them. And then the psychopathy of course, that callousness, really having that strategic deceit about them to go through with this. Additionally, the literature shows that they're highly deceptive, emotionally detached, and again very very strategic, especially when it comes to gaining some sort of personal advantage their life.
Speaker 3: So this is really interesting because we're talking about how there is some research but there's not a lot, and it's very clear this is one of those situations where for so many years, for a couple of thousand at least, people had been able to do this in the shadows. So we don't have the data. How many people that we thought over the years that died of tuberculosis which was rampant for years until antibiotics came along. How many people before or even when arsenic and lead testing became quantified, when they could actually do it. That means you would have to be in an area where you could test for that, right in a city. I mean, if you're in a rural area, the local country doctor, is he really going to be able to do that? So fascinating stuff here about something that's just been hopefully I mean, I think actually one of the things the points we get to is how difficult it is to get away with it now. But the history of it, I think is always going to have a little bit of mystery to it. But we do have a really great example. This one has been done several times in various forms of media, in true crime and podcasts and even some sort of investigation discovery type shows. Is the case of it, doctor Harold Shipman, and I really like using him, even though he's been talked about a lot, because he's a perfect nexus of personality disorders and poisoner profiles. And he was a British family medicine practitioner. Like I said, he's been profiled on many true crime shows, but we would be remiss in leaving him out of this. On the surface, Shipman was everything that you would want in a doctor. He was calm, methodical, always professional, and so old school at the time that these crimes were happening that he spent a significant portion of his practice doing house calls. Now, on one hand, you would think that's wonderful. Look how much he cares about his clients, and he actually goes out into the field and goes to people's homes, something that really just doesn't happen today unless you're rich enough to afford concierge's medicine. But it also was part of his profile. The more you're going into people's homes, the more you have control over the environment, right. But that was the kind and compassionate facade that covered up one of the most prolific serial killers in modern history. Shipman was alleged to have murdered hundreds of his patients, often elderly women, by quietly, calmly, and methodically administering lethal dosis of diamorphine, which in medical terms is medical heroine. Although he was only convicted of the murder of fifteen of his patients, the flip side of his compassionate persona was this calm, cold, measured killer whose crimes entailed no screaming, no blood, and no signs of violence, just a gradual decline with elderly patients that looked like natural death, and Shipman knew how to falsify all the paperwork to back it up. His behavior matches what researchers show about poison intelligent, meticulous, emotionally detached, and quite manipulative. He did not kill impulsively. He planned, He controlled every detail, and he relied on his medical authority to cover his tracks. This is the ultimate example of the organized poisoner. He chose a substance that he had easy access to, he knew exactly how it worked in the body, and he crafted an alibi before anyone could ask questions. Again, cold, calculated and chillingly effective, until the growing number of victims and patterns in the death records of those victims finally exposed him.
Speaker 1: And that seems to be what it is.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: You can't just I get getting away with a few of these, but just over and over again.
Speaker 1: The jig's got to be up at some point.
Speaker 3: Right, well, right, it's like the sort of what we talked about it in the Our Killer Nurses episode the Angel of Death. Yeah, persona, like, is there some part of him that thought that he was doing these elderly people of favor? Not so much because he was also known to have taken trophies and some financial stuff from them as well. I mean, I also say, like, and this is anecdotal on my part as a clinician, but you know, you look at pictures of him, and there is something that's really creepy about him. Like I guess you could see him as like this bespectacled, bearded tweed wearing doctor with the big black bag, as this calm authority figure. But I find him to be, at least the pictures I've seen, to be quite a nerving.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's interesting because here we have kind of laid the foundation for the literature that we have, But I think there's some other things that kind of come up when we think about poisoners, like this question of is it lore is it not?
Speaker 1: It just ends up like spoiler alert. This is all over the place. Like we do have sort.
Speaker 2: Of a profile in a sense, right, but it is used in so many different ways and types of crimes, some that we can't even like cover today, right. But I think one of those that we need to address here is kind of that lore about women always using poison or being way more likely than men to use poison when they kill.
Speaker 1: And to set the scene, you need.
Speaker 2: To know that poison is really only used in less than one half of one percent of all murders. So what we're talking about is already incredibly rare that.
Speaker 3: We know of, like that's the only car route and caveat from that, But that your point is very well taken. And again just to be clear on the basics, men commit ninety percent of murders, and two thirds of the time they use guess what, firearms? Right? Women also use firearms half of the time when it comes to murder, but they also use knives, they beat their victims, or they use blunt objects. Poison is actually the sixth most common way that women kill, so in a sense because men use guns so much of the time. Yes, it is more popular for women to use poison than men, but in raw numbers, we can say that men kill more often with poison because they're killing way more often, right, I think that's the important science to get in there.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is you know, you start looking into this or hearing us talk about this in too much depth and you're like, wait a minute, what. But a way to frame this and why we have been led to kind of believe this trope is to think of it as men kill more often with poison, but is definitely more so a weapon of choice for women, especially if you do some statistical analysis and remove the firearms from it altogether. Similarly, and I find very interesting, drowning is more common for women, as we have covered in previous episodes on women who kill, especially in cases involving their own and sometimes multiple children. But aside from gender, some other interesting breakdowns. White women are more likely to kill with poison, and perpetrators are generally not targeting victims of other races, largely of course, due to the odds that still in this day and age, the closest to you are generally going to be the same race.
Speaker 3: You know. Just to circle back to the little dip into biblical history or biblical translation history that we talked about earlier, one of the things that I forgot to mention there is that the big push in that final translation, in the King James version, now shalt not suffer a which to live was pointedly directed at women because women were becoming more powerful through the church. Women made up the bulk of you know, abbeys and nuns, and they were providing lay services. So this was a way to pull some power back. And also women were becoming land owners, so it's like, hey, we can't have women owning land. Let's accuse them of this and accuse them of that and get our power back. It's just another you know, subjugation of gender roles throughout history, and all.
Speaker 1: Of a sudden you have maleficent. Yes, exactly, variations of the terms right, exactly so.
Speaker 3: But based on where you were going with the gender breakdowns, killers over thirty are more than twice as likely to use poison. That is fascinating to me. But poison is used to kill the youngest and the oldest victims. Sons and daughters are the most common male and female victims to be murdered with poison, and another clear but disturbing and not that surprising gender data point. Poisoning accounts for more than two percent of husband killings, while poison is used in just over half of one percent of wife killings.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so wow, interesting stuff there, I mean, just with the demographics to look at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it makes you think about all those episodes that have been used on different crime shows and different podcasts where a husband or a wife will use anti freeze to poison, like, oh, my husband's just getting sicker and sicker. Oh my wife is just getting sicker and sicker, and then they know CSI goes through the garage and they find like a big old case of open bottles of anti freeze.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, we had one just a couple of years ago here in southern California. I think it was Orange County. We don't cover it in this episode, but the woman was poisoning her husband's breakfast cereal I think every morning, and I don't know if I think he eventually set up a camera and it showed her pouring it right in his cereal every morning. Breakfast of Champions oh my god.
Speaker 3: Well thanks, thank goodness. See maybe he watched The Sixth Sense and New Too.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe put a camera in there.
Speaker 2: I don't know. All right, so let's look at some of these other cases that fall into these family dynamics, starting off with what we tend to think about. Thanks to Hollywood and the interpretation of the data that we just gave you, we have a black widow for you. Also, I want to say props to my dad who found this new story this week while he was visiting.
Speaker 1: He's like, hey, did you hear about this? I'm like, did you know? We're doing an episode on poisoning?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: So thank you, Alex. So this is a.
Speaker 2: Pretty shocking case out of Iran. A fifty six year old woman named coulsum Akbari is facing execution after allegedly killing eleven of her husbands over more than two decades. Authorities say she would marry elderly men, then slowly poison them with medications like sedatives, blood pressure drugs, diabetes treatments, and even industrial alcohol. If that didn't work, investigators claim she has also turned to suffocating them. In some cases, her motives appear to have been financial. She inherited property and dowries from her victims.
Speaker 1: The deaths went.
Speaker 2: Unnoticed for years because they all look like natural causes and older men with health problems, and because she tended to move across different regions of Iran. The alleged murders began around two thousand and continued until twenty twenty three, when the suspicious death of eighty two year old Golamraza bay By led his family to contact the police. The son of this victim actually recalled that his father's friend had been married to a woman by the same name and he had been poisoned, but he survived. So the subsequent instigation, after the family notified the police, then started to expose her pattern. Abakari has reportedly confessed, even saying that she has lost track of how many she has killed, stating that up to fifteen husbands she's had that she's killed. It's very interesting. We'll see what happens, if anything. Human rights groups have long raise concerns that confessions in Iran can be forced through torture or threats against loved ones, and some people are just really questioning how these quote unquote confessions have come out.
Speaker 3: For her good point to be made about that. I hope there's some more data or information that comes out about that particular case. This next one was actually put on our radar by our dear friend Chris, who runs our walking tours, and we love him he does.
Speaker 2: Because that's what you side chat about when you're on a true crime walking tour, people poisoning their family and friends with mushrooms.
Speaker 3: But of course we do so. This case is unfolding right now in Melbourne, Australia. Ian Wilkinson, a Baptist pastor, lost his wife, Heather, and two of his closest friends, Don and Gail Patterson, after they ate beef Wellington laced with toxic death cap mushrooms in twenty twenty three. Aaron Patterson, the former daughter in law of the Pattersons, was convicted in July of three murders and one attempted murder for the lunch, which also nearly killed Wilkinson. At her sentence hearing, Wilkinson said that he feels only half alive without his wife, describing her as a woman full of faith, kindness and love. He said that his life is greatly impoverished without her and the Pattersons, but offered the accused forgiveness, praying that she will use her time in prison to change Aaron Patterson faces life sentences for each murder and up to twenty five years for attempted murder. Prosecutors are pushing for life without parole, calling the crime so cruel and horrific that she deserves no mercy. The judge agreed the case was horrendous and sentencing for September eighteenth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, we don't know much about motive here. I don't think she's done a lot of talking. But to serve lunch to your in laws and their friends, I don't know. I mean, it's just it kind of falls outside of like who are you targeting? How are you targeting them? Why are you targeting them?
Speaker 3: But I totally it would seem I mean, in a case that we're about to cover a little bit later, is let me make it general so that there's not just focus on one or two victims, so that it can look like an accident. I wonder that's a possible motive. We still have many criminal cases to highlight that create a further frightening than diagram of offenders. The typologies we just shared can range from parents who medically abuse their children for historyonic attention, to healthcare workers seeking the power of life and death, to assassination with complex drives. The goals are as different as the.
Speaker 2: Motivations, which, by the way, we have episodes on all of those specific phenomenon, including killer nurses. As we mentioned assassinations. There's so much overlap. We will link all of those in the show notes in case you haven't gone back and listened to those. But let's parse out and focus on more specific and individual targets. One of the most well known victims of politically motivated assassination by poisoning is former Russian spy Alexander Litvienko, who was fatally poisoned in London after drinking tea laced with polonium two ten, a very rare and very radioactive isotope. Litvienko was a former officer with the Russian security Services, the KGB and later the FSB, Russia's primary domestic security and counterintelligence agency. In the late nineteen nineties, Litvienko accused his supervisors of ordering assassinations of political enemies, and later published books alleging that the FSB staged terror attacks to consolidate Vladimir Putin's power. For that, he became a target, fleeing Russia in two thousand, receiving asylum in the UK, and then began working with British intelligence while continuing to publicly criticize the Kremlin.
Speaker 1: We know that's going to be all bad.
Speaker 2: So on November one, two thousand and six, after meeting with two former Russian agents at a London hotel, lit Vienko quickly became seriously ill, and over the next three weeks his condition deteriorated in a way doctors had never seen before. His symptoms included violent stomach pain, bloody diarrhea, hair loss, and a slow, complete collapse of his immune system. The toxin used in this instance, of course, took a turn from the regular range of poisons. Polonium two ten is an extremely rare radioactive isotope. It's a substance that can only be manufactured in state run nuclear facilities. This was the first confirmed case of lethal polonium poisoning. The investigators later suggested it was chosen because it's tasteless, odorless, and nearly impossible to detect with standard tests. For the assassins, it was supposed to be the perfect silent weapon, but what they didn't account for was the radioactive trail it left contamination in airplanes, hotels and restaurants all across London. Litfienko's deathbed statement accused Vladimir Putin of ordering the hit, and subsequent UK inquiries and the European Court of Human Rights concluded the same that his poisoning was a state sponsored assassination. Beyond silencing a critic, the message was clear, defection and dissent would not be forgiven, no matter where you fled. The means of poisoning seems to have been meant to have been discovered to highlight the message. Essentially, we know where you are and we know how to get to you. And in our earlier points about motivation, this case shows that it's not always about money, not always about jealousy, but political power and intimidation on a global stage can also be the case. Chillingly, the weapon wasn't a medieval herb or an arsenic powder, but a radioactive isotope wants to use in nuclear bombs. Definitely strong message designed to hear and.
Speaker 3: If Litvinenko's assassination shows how poisons can be wielded as a tool of state power. The next case shows something very different. How poison, or in this case, a biological weapon, can be turned loose by a fringe religious movement in the US. In Oregon nineteen eighty four, in the small city of the Dales, more than seven hundred and fifty people suddenly fell violently ill diarrhea, fever, stomach cramps, nausea. Dozens were hospitalized. The cause not food handlers, not bad hygiene, which is the polite way of saying that staff weren't washing their hands. No, this was deliberate. Members of the rajnis Shei cult, led by ma Anan Sheila, had cultured the bacteria salmonella in their commune's lab and spread it across salad bars at ten local restaurants. The motivation power at the ballot box. The Rajnichis had already taken over nearby town, renamed it Rajenish, and wanted to extend control by winning county elections. Their plan was simple, sick in the vote in population so that their candidates would win. It was the first large scale bioterrorist attack on US soil. This particular example shows a great deal of calculation, planning, and implementation. The cult members bought the bacteria from a medical supply company, grew it in their own labs, and tested it first by dosing county commissioners with contaminated water. When that worked, they went bigger, salad bars, salad dressings, even doorknobs at government offices. Their nickname for the mixture was salsa. Fortunately no one died, but hundreds of people were incapacitated. People stopped eating out, they stayed home and felt like prisoners in their own town, leading to many businesses being closed, and of course, fear and distrust ran through the community. Investigators later uncovered glass files of salmonella and the Rajnishi labs, confirming the deliberate plot. Sheila and her lieutenant, ma Anan Puja were eventually convicted and served prison time. Unlike Shipman's need for control or live in INCO's political silencing, here it was about manipulating democracy itself, weaponizing illness to sway an election.
Speaker 2: And see, when most people think of cults and poisonings, they think they're doing it to their people within. This is such an outlier most people when they think of poisonings in America immediately picture the nineteen eighty two Chicago tilnal murders, seven people dead from cyanide lace capsules pulled right off drugstore shelves. But because that case was never solved and the motive remains a mystery, and because it's been covered very widely, we're going to turn instead to the Stella Nickel case, which gave investigators both a culprit and a clear motivation in a similar case. So Stella Nichols case is the one that finally put real legal teeth behind tamper evident packaging. In June nineteen eighty six, her husband, Bruce Nicchol, died after taking extra strength etc.
Speaker 1: At home near Seattle.
Speaker 2: Six days later, bank manager Sue Snow died the same way. A federal jury later found that Nicol had laced gelatin capsules with potassium cyanide and staged a random public tampering scare to disguise her husband's murder as an accident. She became the first person convicted under the federal anti tampering statute and drew a ninety year sentence. I mean no doubt, probably gaining inspiration from the Tailanol murders, investigators initially struggled. Bruce's death was first chalked up to natural causes. The picture changed when officials tied Snow's death to cyanide and then found another tainted bottle that had come from the Nickel home. The FDA and FBI broad ins testing and amid a nationwide alert, identified a handful of contaminated bottles in the region. Two of them traced Nichol's possession, cementing the theory that someone had seated store shelves to create the illusion of a random poison.
Speaker 3: Forensics and paper trails closed the loop. At autopsy and at the lab, examiners detected cyanide spiked with green crystals, and the color of those crystals matched an aquarium algaecide that Nicol bought and used at home. This was an unusual choice for a poison that became her signature modus operandi, and of course, subpoena library records showed that she checked out books on toxic plants and poisons. FBI analysts later lifted her prints from cyanide related encyclopedia pages. And this is the kind of stuff, minute but substantial, circumstantial evidence that juries tend to find persuasive because each piece points in the same direction. And this was nineteen eighty six, way before forensics files, motive evidence was pretty clear cut. Nicol had multiple life insurance policies on Bruce, with a double indignity payout for accidental death. Her adult daughter told investigators that before the murders, Nichol had talked about wanting Bruce dead and had tried foxglove also known as digitalis in capsules, and she had openly discussed how insurance money would change their lives. That testimony, paired with the product tampering stagecraft, framed the killings as calculated bid for secondary gain money and freedom, rather than a spree. So what do you think this leakage was about.
Speaker 2: That's shocking to me that she told the adult daughter, because you know, we're talking about the one who's really falling into the category we're talking about earlier, right deliberate. She's doing the research, very very organized, but yet we said sometimes they slip up in the weirdest ways. I don't know what this is about, what you.
Speaker 3: Thoughts, I don't know's. I think it's fascinating because in threat assessment you always look at leakage in fact, you know, one of the biggest cases right now is the most recent school shooting, which is horrific and in the news right now as we speak. There was so much leakage this person was posting daily, but in moments like this, it's not so clear cut. It's wondering was she hoping that her daughter would talk her out of it, Was she hoping for a co collaborator. Was she hoping for an alibi or permission? I don't know. I think it's very interesting and not so uncommon. You know, we hear about this, especially when it's familicide or you know, partner murders like this.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I'm leaning towards just generally it seems to be a way to see if people will catch on and then start asking questions.
Speaker 3: What's wrong, or pull some attention back to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put some sort of obstacle in place so they actually won't do it, Yeah, which we see with homicidal and suicidal leakage, Being that it was an adult daughter, I don't know. I mean, I guess I'd have to know more about the dynamics and the relationship to really see there. But obviously the daughter wasn't keeping that secret. But as we said, so, Nicole presented as a highly organized, instrumental poison in. Her indicators include advanced research. She had gone to the library, like physically if they're pulling fingerprints off Encyclopedia's method selection, right, something that was odorless, tasteless, was able to put into capsules. She also had seen control and staging, so being able to place bottles to kind of simulate that random seating and tampering in the stores. And then financial trigger insurance, right, she also had that double indemnity insurance plan.
Speaker 1: So she was very, very organized.
Speaker 2: So maybe her lapses, I don't know, stem from a lack of general knowledge in that area that we kind of take for granted today after you know, we're immersed in true crime all the time. But she didn't totally cover her tracks. In court, the judge called the crimes to be with exceptional callousness and cruelty, which tracks with a sort of power in controlled narrative more than with passion or grievance. Even there's no public record of a formal psychiatric diagnosis, but what we can kind of safely say is that her behavior fits the organized, goal driven poisoning pattern that we've been outlining across all of these cases. Legally, the case mattered beyond Seattle. A nineteen eighty nine Ninth Circuit opinion upheld her conviction under the then new federal statute, clearly stating that product tempering causing the death could be prosecuted federally even when the motive was a targeted domestic murder disguised as this public hazard. So the Nickel case, along with the Tailanal murders, of course, their precedent really is why we have those triple seal packaging, chain of custody recalls the way that we have all of those precautions that we take to protect the public, and why our shelves look the way they do today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it can be really annoying for me, Like you know, you get the child proof bottle off, and then even the seal is like concrete. You have to get a knife or an implement to stab through it really to peel it off.
Speaker 2: But all that is there for a reason, risk cutting yourself just to get into the bottles.
Speaker 3: But you can understand why after those two particular incidents. So another case that we want to cover is William Robert Cable, and this was from twenty twenty, and it's quite a different one that I found really fascinating, and it's pretty unsettling because it mixes premeditation with an additional factor of one of the four aspects of the dark tetrad as opposed to the dark triad, and that is sadism in this instance exemplified as performative cruelty and charged in twenty twenty and later pleading guilty, William Robert Cable admitted to poisoning eight unhoused people in Huntington Beach, California, by lacing food with oleo resin capsicum, the ultra potent pepper abstract that is used in police spray, and it's a particular version of pepper spray that's reported to be up to four times as strong as standard brands. He was sentenced in April twenty twenty one to four years in state prison. His prosecutors asserted that Cable targeted a vulnerable population, filmed the aftermath for later viewing, and even then drew an elder abuse count among his multiple felonies and misdemeanors, so his methodology was calculated and coercive. According to the investigators. Cable and his associates presented the stunt as a spicy food challenge to these unhoused individuals, and he would often enhance his pitch with the promise of alcohol or beer along with extra food to secure the victim's cooperation. Now, these victims, who were completely unaware that the dishes they were going to be eating had been tainted, suffered intense and drum matic seizure like symptoms, including vomiting, intense mouth and stomach pain, and difficulty breeding, with many of the victims requiring immediate hospitalization. The challenge framing, which was the use of a caustic agent that was reported to be at least as four times as strong as police pepper spray, and the decision to videotape their reactions all point to a scheme designed not just a harm, but also, in the prosecutor's language, to produce spectacle. So Cable may have asserted that he was attempting a ripoff of prank or jackass, or even the spicy food challenge that has been so popular on YouTube, but the acute difference here is that the victims he chose were exceptionally vulnerable individuals. They were in an unhoused situation with any number of unknown medical or mental health issues that could have contributed to their current situation and could have contributed to death.
Speaker 2: Clinically, his conduct aligns with thrill seeking and dominance motives rather than instrumental gain, likely because there was little evidence to indicate that the filmer was seeking monetary gain. The Orange County District Attorney characterized the videos as a twisted form of entertainment meant to be replayed, suggesting reinforcement from others, pain, and a desire to control both the victim's bodies through the ingestion of the chemicals and their social image through the camera. This is not unlike a phenomenon that was out there several years back, bum fights, if you'll remember that, where they were pitting unhelps people against each other to fight, like giving them some sort of incentive because of their situation. But this blend that coercive control, pain induction, and the addition of an audience is really congruent with performative cruelty and really dehumanization. Cable chose targets with little social power or really any means for recourse in the situation.
Speaker 3: There's this organized thread running through this whole sequence. Again, as we've said before, there's obtaining the substance, there's the creation or scripting of a benign cover story, the spicy challenge, manipulating while also coercing consent with the promise of alcohol or food, staging the setup, managing equipment. All of that planning paired with the attention seeking filming, and this gives us its character outline of someone who lacks empathy, who is a sensation seeking offender, and an individual who prioritizes control and spectacle over other conventional motives that we've mentioned previously. So he faced up to nineteen years if he was convicted a trial, but he only received four years on a plea, which is pretty lax given the crimes, but it still sent a message about targeting unhoused communities with chemical harm for entertainment. This case also underscores how challenge culture can be weaponized, and we've seen it in the ice bucket challenge, where really cruel bullies would fundamentally challenged peer and fill the bucket full of refuse if not excrement or you'reine. I mean, it's just horrible situations like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely in this case against Cable. It also included misdemeanor accounts for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, indicating that some younger participants were present or maybe involved. Interesting because that's like another queue to perhaps dominance, right, like how is he involving other people? Which also doubles as like audience building inside this offender's own peer network. When you then add in the elder abuse charges, was I think was really smart and good for the prosecutors. This is a clear example of opportunistic victimization focused on multiple kind of quote unquote perceived low resistant groups. So I think, if anything, that case is awful. Thank you for finding it, though, just to kind of put an extra little spin on well, essentially what we started with, what the definition of poison is and how it can be harmful in several different ways. But I think, if anything, you know, we use more case examples in this episode than we tend to do in our normal ones. But they're just all over the place. I mean, bioterrorism, swaying elections, spies either specific targeted victims, random victims being targeted. I mean this, I thank goodness, it is so so rare and we threw out that statistic, but this could truly be one of the most terrifying means of murder that we've covered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's lots of media examples, you know. I won't go down with a long list of names, but I'm a huge fan of Hammer Horror Films, which is a British production company from the fifties sixty seventies and it's still around doing some really great classic sort of monster movies. And there's always like some you know, buxom vixen who has a you know, a jeweled ring that she clicks the ruby open and there's like a poison that she puts in a goblet of wine or something. So it's there's something that I think it connotes seduction in the way it's portrayed. But a modern media example that I really liked because it's also an excellent movie is Gross point Blank from nineteen ninety seven. So I'm going this is almost a vintage This is almost a vintage movies from what your daughter, remember I gave you gave your daughter one of my mom's necklaces from like the eighties, and she's like, is this vintage? It was like, yeah, I guess it is vintage right. So Gross point Blank from nineteen ninety seven is a dark comedy with John Cusack, his sister Joan Cusack in an absolutely hilarious role, and then Minie Driver. He stars as a character named Martin Blank. He's a professional hitman who reluctantly returns to his hometown of gross Pointe, Michigan for a job that his handler has set him up on. He has to go home in order to carry out an assassination. It also happens to coincide with his ten year high school reunion after he just completely ghosted everyone, his family, all of his friends, and his girlfriend who's played by Minnie Driver, who he reconnects with. So it's a great movie for the comedy. Dan Ackroyd is in it, but one of the scenes that shows his skill as an assassin is this scene where he attempts to poison an individual that's in a room will blow him in a hotel, and while the guy is asleep snoring, he drills a hole through his floor into the ceiling of the road below and then just drops a single viscous thread of poison into the snoring guy's mouth. It was like he's really chilling to think that, like that's legit, that could happen.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, great film for sure. So I went back and watched a truly vintage one yesterday. It's called A Blueprint for Murder in nineteen fifty three. Great quick it's like an hour and fifteen minutes crime noir film. I think our audience.
Speaker 1: Would love it.
Speaker 2: Within the first five seconds, you guys are going to be like, oh my god, munchow'sen by proxy. But it's really cool to kind of look at how they were actually looking at that phenomenon through you know, this great noir film in the fifties, and really until the end, you don't know if she did it or didn't. And we're talking about poisoning of family members, children, life insurance policies. And my favorite is this side character. Her name is Maggie, and she is the wife of the friend who's trying to figure out these murders, and she writes for pulp magazines. So she starts going, well, these deaths could be accidental, but they could also be murder, and then she starts pulling out the encyclopedia to look at the symptoms, and her husband is like, oh, there she goes again. You know, every time you hear something you gotta get all dark, and I'm like, I love this character.
Speaker 1: I'm stunky.
Speaker 3: Thank you for going and watching that. Where'd you stream it? Where did you watch it?
Speaker 1: Amazon Prime?
Speaker 3: I had to friend to go look for it. I've got that.
Speaker 2: It starts off super fast. It's not like a slow build up.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of the movies at that time. You know, we've talked about so many vintage movies over the years that we've don't my got over the years that we've done this show. Isn't that wild to say that, But you forget that movies were many times a solid ninety minutes like that? Was it like? Because they were meant like we want to be able to and there was a reason for that. They wanted to get as many audiences in as they could to turn the audiences over back in the day. We'll have to get John to comment on that though, but I'm going to go look for it. Hopefully our listeners will go look at those two movies as well.
Speaker 2: I actually reached out to John and was like, hey, you got anything for me on this? And he wrote a really nice, lengthy email back with he hadn't seen it, but he kind of wrote some tidbits here and there, Poe.
Speaker 3: Well, let's post it. We'll post it in the show notes for sure, for sure. So also there are really great documentaries The Tail and All Murders on Netflix, really really well done, creepy as hell and well done with an interesting combination of using live action.
Speaker 1: Actors like true Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really really well done with that actor as well as historical footage. And then there's also a completely great and jaw dropping documentary Wild Wild Country, which won a lot of awards when it came out about the Rajniche cult. And then, of course I have to also mention that our dear friend deb Height, who stars in the documentary now take off on Wild Wild Country, which is very much worth seeing. You can see it on the Independent Film Channel.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are I mean, Wild Wold Country is like a classic now as far as like Netflix.
Speaker 1: True crime documentaries go.
Speaker 2: Again, like there's a million films I mean others I didn't watch. But apparently poison is the weapon of choice for women in Game of Thrones.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's fantastic, and there's a scene that's just worth I mean, I stopped watching the show, but I would dip in because I knew there were great performances And Diana Rigg Dom Diana rig who just passed away recently. She played Olenna Tyrrell and she was the one that finally kills that odious Jeoffrey character by poison. And she's really like, as she's about to be killed for all of her things that she's done and planning and trying to overthrow the bad guys, she's just like sitting there. Well, yeah, oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was going to be quite so painful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds well deserved. But yes, like any medieval film or TV show, I'm sure you're gonna find a poisoning in there. So let us know which ones are your guys favorite. Okay, that's the end of our show today.
Speaker 1: One more to go.
Speaker 3: Here we are. We are heading down to the finish line, Doctor Shiloh, we.
Speaker 2: Sure are, Doctor Scott. All right, everyone, well, we will absolutely see you next time on La Not So Fidential.
Speaker 1: Bye guys, Bye.
Speaker 2: Folks, We sincerely thank you for spending some time with us today. La Not So Confidential is part of Alienist Entertainment and the crawl Space Media Network. Each episode is hosted, produced, and written by Doctor Scott and Doctor Shiloh. Our post production, editing and sweetening magic is handled by the multi talented Jason Usrie of ear Cult Productions.
Speaker 3: Our theme music, entitled Cool Vibes Film Noir, is composed and performed by the talented Kevin McLeod. He graciously allows us to use his music via a Creative Commons attribution license. Please check out all of Kevin's amazing work on YouTube.
Speaker 2: All of the resources for each episode can be found on our website at www dot La Dash not dashsow dash confidential dot com. You can find us on Blue Sky and Instagram at La not So Podcast, on TikTok, Facebook, and YouTube. We are at La not So Confidential. Media inquiries and bookings are scheduled at Alienist Entertainment at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Once a month, we go live on YouTube on a Saturday afternoon, so stay tuned to our social media announcements to join our interactive broadcast entitled Behind the Couch, where we interview guests on a number of psych criminal justice and true crime topics.
Speaker 2: And lastly, we'd be honored if you joined our Patreon at Patreon dot com slash La not So Podcast. With a subscription, you get an ad free listening experience, additional content, host interaction, and you'll be the first to know about upcoming live events, social gatherings, and super cool merch.
Speaker 3: So thanks for listening and join us next time on La not So Confidential.