Speaker 1: Like imagine spending millions of dollars to build this meticulously crafted television world. Right. You've got the locker rooms built. You've hired the best actors. The lighting is totally perfect.
Speaker 2: Scripts are locked.
Speaker 1: And then at the very 11th hour, a corporate lawyer sitting in an office 3000 miles away. tells you that a single chest tattoo has to be entirely erased from the production.
Speaker 3: It sounds totally absurd when you put it like that. But, I mean, that is the invisible hand of Hollywood at work. Right. It's the friction between a beloved piece of art and, well, the legal realities of a television network.
Speaker 1: Which is exactly what we are dissecting today in this deep dive. We're looking at the messy, complicated, and honestly often entirely accidental process of page-to-screen adaptation.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 1: And our guide for this is a fantastic article from Pink News by Emily Maskell. She outlined six major differences between Rachel Rees' smash hit hockey romance novel, Heated Rivalry, and the HBO television adaptation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she really breaks it down well.
Speaker 1: She does. So we're talking about the transition of characters Ilya Rozanov, played by Connor Story, and Shane Hollander, played by Hudson Williams, from the page to the screen.
Speaker 3: And for you listening, whether you are a writer trying to understand the mechanics of screenwriting or... maybe a diehard fan of this specific show or just someone fascinated by pop culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Understanding these changes. I mean, this isn't just about spotting differences. We are going to deconstruct the hidden machinery of television here. We're looking at the legal hurdles, the visual demands and those narrative sacrifices creators have to make.
Speaker 2: OK, let's unpack this because I want to dive straight into that tattoo.
Speaker 1: It perfectly illustrates how a seemingly invisible legal constraint radically alters a character's physical presence.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So in Emily Maskell's piece, she points out that in Rachel Reed's original novel, our two rivals turned lovers play for the Boston Bears and the Montreal Voyagers.
Speaker 3: Which are very thinly veiled stand-ins for real world National Hockey League teams, right? Yeah. The Boston Bruins and the Montreal Canadiens. And in a novel, you can do that. You can play with those real world echoes and to ground your fiction in reality.
Speaker 1: But on the HBO show, they play for the Boston Raiders and the Montreal Metros. And my initial thought when I read that was, wait, HBO has near infinite resources? Yeah.
Speaker 2: If they want to use a Bruins adjacent name.
Speaker 1: Or logo just to keep the book's flavor, couldn't they just, I don't know, cut a check to the NHL? Like, is this just a budget issue or is there a deeper creative friction?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it goes far beyond budget. The National Hockey League, like any major sports organization, is an incredibly protective corporate entity.
Speaker 1: Oh, for sure.
Speaker 3: They heavily guard their intellectual property, and they are notoriously strict about the context in which their brand is used.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And heated rivalry is a very mature, steamy romance. The NHL generally aims for that family-friendly, mass-market appeal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: So they're not going to license their trademarks or even allow something legally confusingly similar to their trademarks to be associated with an HBO show that features explicit content.
Speaker 1: Oh, wow.
Speaker 3: OK. So the network's legal department just has to step in and sanitize the team names to avoid a massive trademark dilution lawsuit. They basically force the change to the Boston Raiders and Montreal Metros.
Speaker 1: And that legal pivot is what ruins the tattoo.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Because in the book, Ilya is this.
Speaker 1: Brash Russian hockey prodigy. And his defining visual characteristic is this massive bear tattoo across his chest. It ties his personal identity, his literal skin, directly to his team, the Boston Bears.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a physical manifestation of his loyalty and his whole persona.
Speaker 1: But on the show, because the lawyers said, you know, you are the Raiders now, keeping a giant bear chest tattoo makes zero sense.
Speaker 3: Right, right.
Speaker 1: So the legal department literally erased a character's physical traits. It's almost like adapting a Superman comic, but the legal department says you cannot use the color red.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a great comparison.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't just lose the S on his chest. You lose the visual psychology of the character. Taking away the Boston Bears took away a piece of Ilya's armor.
Speaker 3: That is a phenomenal way to frame it. The page is legally frictionless, right? Rachel Reed doesn't have to clear a trademark with corporate sponsors to describe a fictional tattoo on a fictional player. Yeah. But a multi-million dollar television set is governed by contracts and copyright law. The legal reality of television production directly dictates character design. And fans often don't realize that the absence of a beloved detail wasn't, you know, an artistic slight by the director, but literally a mandate from a lawyer.
Speaker 1: Right, which makes me think about how much time I spent trying to figure out if there's a deeper meaning to the next change Maskell points out.
Speaker 3: Oh, the brother?
Speaker 2: Yes, involving Iliara's brother.
Speaker 1: Because in both versions, Ilya has this incredibly toxic, strained relationship with his brother. It's this huge piece of his emotional baggage. And in the book, the brother's name is Andrei. But on screen, where he's played by Slavic Rogozin, his name is Alexei. And I was racking my brain like, is Alexei.
Speaker 2: A harsher sounding name?
Speaker 3: Ah, I see what you did there.
Speaker 1: Is it a nod to a specific figure in Russian literature? Does it signify a different family dynamic?
Speaker 3: Well, you are falling into the exact cognitive trap that almost all dedicated viewers fall into. We assume perfect, top-down intentionality for every single frame of a television show.
Speaker 1: So what is the deep, symbolic meaning behind the name change, then?
Speaker 3: There isn't one.
Speaker 1: Wait, really?
Speaker 3: It was a complete accident.
Speaker 1: Oh, wait.
Speaker 3: Seriously. Yeah. In an interview with a Canadian streamer, Crave, the show writer and director, Jacob Tierney, was asked about this profound artistic pivot from Andre to Alexei, and Tierney just laughs and admits, I screwed that up.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: He literally just forgot the name while writing the script.
Speaker 1: A multi-million dollar production. And he just forgot the guy's name. That is incredible.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's better. Tierney also pointed out in that same interview that Rachel Reed, the author who literally invented The Brother, didn't even notice the mistake when she reviewed the material. Oh, my gosh. Tierney joked that the oversight was, you know, on Rachel Reed.
Speaker 1: That completely bursts the bubble of the auteur theory. I mean, we give creators so much credit for these elaborate four-dimensional chess moves in their storytelling, and sometimes it really is just human error.
Speaker 3: Just someone slipping up?
Speaker 1: Right, like a writer is tired, they type Alexa instead of Andre, and suddenly thousands of fans on Reddit are writing essays about the sociopolitical implications of the name Alexa.
Speaker 3: It's such a vital lesson for anyone analyzing media. While we should look for meaning, we also really have to account for the human element. Television is made by exhausted people working on really tight deadlines. Mistakes happen, and they become canon.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: So we've established how corporate lawyers can erase a character's physical traits and how human error can change their identity. But the medium of television itself is responsible for erasing something much more fundamental, which is a character's internal thoughts.
Speaker 3: Right, because you can't film inside someone's head.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You cannot point a camera at a memory. And to solve this, the showrunners had.
Speaker 1: To literally bring a ghost back to life, which brings us to the character of Sasha.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is where we get into the heavy lifting of adaptation theory. Emily Maskell's article highlights how Sasha's role is completely overhauled to serve the visual medium.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So let's look at the source material first. In Rachel Regan's novel, Sasha is the son of Ilyas' former coach. But we, as the readers, never actually meet him in the present tense.
Speaker 1: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: Sasha exists entirely as a memory. He is relegated to Ilya, recounting his past sexual encounters and conversations with Shane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's basically just a conversational tool. In the book, Ilya and Shane are in this intense, isolated bubble. It's just the two of them hidden away in hotel rooms, navigating this massive secret. And when Ilya talks about Sasha, it's this moment of quiet vulnerability, right?
Speaker 2: He's trusting Shane with his history.
Speaker 3: Exactly. But the television rule of show, don't tell, aggressively disrupts that bubble.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In the HBO series, Sasha is not a ghost.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: He is a living, breathing character played by Caden Connors. And when Ilya returns to Russia, he actually encounters Sasha in a bathroom, along with their mutual friend Svetlana, played by Ksenia Daniella Karlamova.
Speaker 1: Right, right.
Speaker 3: And Sasha physically approaches Ilya. He leans in, he kisses him, attempting to reignite their old dynamic.
Speaker 1: And Ilya has to actively, physically push him away and reject him on camera.
Speaker 3: Yes. But.
Speaker 1: I have to push back on the strategy a little bit, though, because I understand the mechanics of TV, but doesn't making everything so literal kind of rob the audience of their imagination?
Speaker 3: How so?
Speaker 1: Well, by giving Sasha a physical form, by putting him right there in the bathroom, they are puncturing that isolated bubble that Shane and Ilya share. Doesn't bringing the past physically into the present sort of dilute the intimacy of Ilya quietly confessing his history in a dark room?
Speaker 3: I mean, I see the loss you were pointing out. In literature, intimacy is often built through the sharing of secrets. The act of speaking the history is the dramatic event. Exactly. But let's look at the constraints of television. If you just have two actors sitting on a bed talking about a guy named Sasha for 10 minutes, the pacing drags.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: Television relies on kinetic energy and conflict. To show the audience that Ilya has fundamentally changed, that his burgeoning queer sexuality is now entirely anchored to Shane... The medium demands a physical obstacle.
Speaker 2: So the camera needs proof, essentially.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Rejecting Sasha on screen is a visual shorthand for Ilya's internal emotional shift. In a book, Ilya can just think, I used to want Sasha, but now I only want Shane.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: On screen, a physical action is required to cross that threshold. Sasha becomes the physical manifestation of Ilya's past life. By pushing Sasha away, Ilya is visually declaring his loyalty to Shane for the audience.
Speaker 1: The show has to build an environment that forces the subtext to the surface.
Speaker 3: Perfectly said.
Speaker 1: And we see this exact same strategy of externalizing the internal during the dance club scene. which Emily Maskell specifically calls out as a masterclass in adaptation.
Speaker 3: Oh, it is a phenomenal sequence. The needle drop alone, T-A-T-R, is all the things she said. It sets this incredibly tense, nostalgic mood. Yeah. But the staging is radically different from the novel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because in the book, Shane is on the dance floor with his girlfriend, Rose, and Ilya is just at the bar watching them.
Speaker 2: And he is seething.
Speaker 1: It's entirely internal. We are in his head, feeling his jealousy, feeling that distance between them. Right.
Speaker 3: Now compare that to the visual ecosystem the show builds. Shane, played by Hudson Williams, isn't just dancing with Rose, played by Sophie and Elise. He is sandwiched on the dance floor between Rose and Rose's gay best friend Miles, played by Devante Sr.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the entire club is drenched in what Maskell Year's article refers to as perfect bisexual lighting.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's clarify that term for anyone who might not be familiar with cinematography tropes.
Speaker 2: What exactly makes lighting bisexual?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a specific cinematic technique that gained massive popularity in the 2010s. It uses these high contrast neon hues, specifically vibrant pink, deep purple, and rich blue. Oh, right.
Speaker 2: I know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When a director watches a scene in these colors, it is a subconscious visual code signaling a queer space or a character's fluid sexuality to the audience entirely without dialogue.
Speaker 2: So they're painting the scene with queer subtext.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: And then they introduce Miles into that space. And Miles actually gestures to Ilya at the bar. He initiates an interaction. But Ilya completely ignores Miles' advances to stare exclusively at Shane. Right.
Speaker 3: And think about the mechanics of why Miles was added. The book can just tell you that Ilya is jealous and hyper-fixated on Shane despite the presence of a woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the TV show has to prove it visually. By adding Miles, an attractive, available gay man showing direct interest in Ilya, the show creates a physical test. Ah, I see. When Illy ignores a willing participant in this neon-drenched queer ecosystem to just stare through the crowd at Shane, it proves the depth of his fixation. The sexual tension isn't just a thought anymore. It's a physical geometry in the room.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating how novel uses the mind as its canvas, while television has to use bodies and light. But this tension between keeping things locked inside a character's head versus blowing them up for the camera... really hits its peak during the phone call scene. Maskell rightly identifies this as the emotional crescendo of the adaptation.
Speaker 3: It is a devastating sequence.
Speaker 2: Truly.
Speaker 3: Let's establish the context for a second. Ilya suffers a sudden, tragic loss in his family. He flies back home to Russia. He is grieving, exhausted, and just overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And in a moment of desperate vulnerability, he calls Shane just to hear his voice and decompress.
Speaker 1: In Rachel Reed's novel, Shane is on the other end of the line and he asks Ilya to just speak to him in Russian, knowing he won't understand the words, but just wanting to offer a safe space.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And as a reader, we are largely kept out of the translation of that monologue until the very end. The book gives us this beautifully understated translated line. I am pretty sure I'm in love with you and I don't know what to do about it.
Speaker 3: It's such a quiet revelation. But what makes the literary version so powerful is what happens immediately after he hangs up.
Speaker 2: Yes, the panic.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: The novel pivots into Ilya's spiraling internal panic. He sits there and thinks, what if Shane recorded that and ran it through Google Translate? What if he knows?
Speaker 2: Oh, that fear.
Speaker 3: It's a profound realization of his own vulnerability. The drama. The thought process itself. The terror of being understood.
Speaker 1: But you can't film a guy sitting in a quiet room panicking about Google Translate for five minutes.
Speaker 2: I mean, that is terrible television.
Speaker 3: Right. Exactly. Exactly.
Speaker 1: So the HBO show takes a completely different route. We don't get the quiet panic of the aftermath. We get a massive powerhouse monologue spoken aloud in Russian.
Speaker 3: It's incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Connor's story delivers this crushing performance where he says, I love her, but not like I love you. That's the worst effing part of all of this.
Speaker 2: Is that all I want is you. It's always you.
Speaker 1: I am so in love with you and I don't know what to do about it.
Speaker 3: And the medium of television requires an actor to physically manifest emotion like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Connor's story needs the meat of that monologue to act. In a novel, the vulnerability comes from the quiet fear of being discovered. But on television, the vulnerability has to come from the sheer force of the confession itself. The spoken word has to carry the weight of all those paragraphs of inner monologue.
Speaker 1: It's like the difference between reading sheet music and standing in the front row of a live rock concert.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's good.
Speaker 1: Because in the book, you are reading the sheet music of Ilya's mind, right? You can clearly see... The intricate, complex structure of his anxiety, the little notes of his fear about Google Translate, the delicate pacing of his realization. It's technical and deeply internal. But the TV show is like plugging into a massive amplifier. It's not about the technical anxiety of what happens next. It is purely about the raw, undeniable, visceral impact of those spoken words hitting you right in the chest.
Speaker 3: That analogy holds up perfectly. The television show prioritizes the immediate impact of the declaration. over the lingering anxiety of the aftermath.
Speaker 1: But making that choice, deciding exactly when and how to unleash these massive emotional payloads, it directly affects the pacing of the entire story.
Speaker 3: It definitely does.
Speaker 1: Which brings us to the final and definitely the most controversial difference Emily Maskell highlights, the missing epilogue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the ending is where the biological clocks of these two mediums really clash the hardest. Let's outline what the HBO viewers got first. Okay. The show ends at a very poignant, unresolved note. Ilya and Shane have just told Shane's parents that they are together. We see them driving back to their cottage, sharing these complex, bittersweet smiles, and the screen cuts to black. The credits roll.
Speaker 2: It leaves you breathless, but it is incredibly abrupt.
Speaker 3: Very.
Speaker 1: Especially when you realize what the book readers got. Rachel Reed gave her audience a massive, definitive epilogue set 16.
Speaker 2: Months in the future.
Speaker 3: It's a complete life update.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: In the book's epilogue, the landscape has changed entirely. Ilya is now playing for Ottawa. Shane is officially out to his teammates. They have actively bought homes in Canada to be closer to one another.
Speaker 3: So much happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the true emotional climax is this public press conference where they announce the Arena Foundation, named after Ilya's late mother, which is the very charity they had been softly plotting in bed during the final episode of the show.
Speaker 3: Because the novel provides absolute finality. When you close the back cover of heated rivalry, you know exactly where these men stand. They have conquered their obstacles and achieved their goals.
Speaker 1: But the TV show deliberately cuts all of that out. And I have to ask, is this just a cynical strategy.
Speaker 2: By the network?
Speaker 1: Are they withholding the emotional payoff, the triumph of the Arena Foundation, just to keep viewers on the hook, guaranteeing we all tune in for season two? Or is there a genuine artistic reason to leave the audience stranded on a bittersweet, unresolved note?
Speaker 3: Well, it's the fundamental reality of the television business. A book offers the satisfying sigh of closure. But a successful TV show thrives on the dopamine loop of momentum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it needs you to come back.
Speaker 3: It requires anticipation. If the showrunners give you the press conference, the houses in Canada, and the public triumph, the story is over. There is no narrative engine left for a second season.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: By withholding that epilogue, they maintain the tension. As Maskell notes, the fan theories are already swirling, that this withheld epilogue will actually serve as the opening moments of season two.
Speaker 1: Which makes you question what you actually want from the media you consume, you know?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Do you prefer the neat, absolute closure of a novel where the bow is tied and you can put it safely on your shelf? Or have we all been conditioned by modern streaming to prefer prolonged, serialized tension?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: We are seemingly willing to trade a satisfying ending for the mere promise of spending more time with.
Speaker 2: These characters next year.
Speaker 3: A cynic looks at the missing epilogue and says, it's a corporate trap for viewership. But an optimist looks at it and says, it's a promise that the journey isn't over yet.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to look at it. So let's pull all of this together. We've looked at these six major changes through the lens of Emily Maskell-Rowe's article. And what emerges is a complete deconstruction of how art translates across mediums.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: We've seen how a character's physical identity can be warped by a lawyer protecting NHL trademarks. We've seen how elaborate fan theories are humbled by a director simply forgetting a character's name.
Speaker 3: We've also seen the deliberate, heavy-handed choices required by the camera. Visualizing the invisible by giving a physical body to Sasha.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Externalizing sexual tension with bisexual lighting and the introduction of Miles on the dance floor. Translating the quiet panic of a novel into the powerhouse Russian monologue of a television performance. And finally, manipulating the structural demands of television by withholding the final chapter for the sake of momentum.
Speaker 1: The ultimate takeaway here is that an adaptation is not and can never be a carbon copy.
Speaker 3: No, never.
Speaker 1: It is a translation of language. It takes a story that speaks in the language of internal thoughts and text and translates it into the loud, kinetic language of visual action and physical performance. The core emotional truth of Ilya and Shane survives the journey, but the vehicle delivering that truth had to be entirely rebuilt.
Speaker 3: It's a different vehicle navigating a completely different set of physics.
Speaker 1: And I want to leave you with a final thought to ponder, something that builds on the strange relationship between the page and the screen. We've spent this hour analyzing what the TV show gained and lost by adapting Rachel Reed's book.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But consider how this works in reverse. Because the HBO show is such a massive hit, The novel is completely sold out. Thousands of fans are going to read the book after having watched the show.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's true.
Speaker 2: When those fans read the.
Speaker 1: Book, how will the massive definitive spoken declarations of Connor Story's Earth's performance retroactively alter their reading of Ilya's quiet internal panic on the page? Wow.
Speaker 2: Does the sheer.
Speaker 1: Volume of the television show overwrite the subtlety of the book in our cultural memory? Or do the two versions somehow manage to exist as parallel competing timelines in your mind?
Speaker 3: That is the ultimate paradox of adaptation. Which version becomes the truth? It really is.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us on this deep dive into the brilliant, messy waters of page-to-screen translation. Keep questioning what you watch, and we'll catch you on the next one.