Speaker 1: It's Night with Dan Ray on Boston News Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Thank you, Kyle, appreciated very much. We are talking about the migrant crisis here in Massachusetts, which the Healy administration is now in some turbulent political waters. I have not and cannot quote some recent polls, but I've seen some polls which indicate that the governors has been aggravating not only people who are inclined to oppose her most things political, but even amongst those people in the past who have supported her. The problem is that migrants have flocked to Massachusetts because we have a sort of an open shelter policy. It's called the Right to Shelter Law, which was passed in this state in nineteen eighty three assignment then Governor Michael d'caccas, which was essentially intended to make sure that people who are living in Massachusetts, if they were women, or if they were particularly women who were pregnant with children, with or without children, that they would always have shelter. And during the course of various times that capacity has been tested. But with the influx of God knows how many migrants who do not have shelter, the situation just exploded last year, and it exploded as a result of our open border policy, which the administration is low to criticize. But now we've had we have become really a state that has got a crisis on his hands. And today the Boston Globe did a really in depth investigative report which we've alluded to for those of you who are just joining us, written by Stephanie Ebert Ebert and Deirdre Fernandez, essentially saying that the state does not want to provide information to us, the citizens about how our money a billion dollars a year is being spent on hotels and shelters and meals and laundry and taxi cabs and medical services. And with us holding through the newscast is Stephen from Weston, who apparently has talked to some hotel owners. And these are not five star hotels. This is not the hotel Front and Act Steven. These are hotels that in the past, we're lucky on a great weekend to get to eighty percent capacity for rooms, there were one hundred and twenty nine, maybe one hundred and thirty nine dollars, and now they're getting three three hundred and fifty dollars and a guarantee of the years of a hotel. We're filled to capacity for a year, and we can't find out who the owners of these hotels are, amongst other things. Go ahead, Stephen, you told us that you had talked to one owner who said, Hey, I don't take the money, some other hotel will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's absolutely the case. Then and again, just to you know, just to reiterate, they're not paying the state is not paying market rates here. The state is paying free and then sometimes four case four times what the rates were prior to this migrant crisis. And you know, that's why they're not being That's why the state's not being transparent with this, and that's why you know, that's because they don't want you and I the taxpayer to know that. You know, you know, I think it started out at forty five million a month back in twenty twenty three. Of our tax dollars, we're being spent on this. When they originally proposed this, they they allocated five hundred million dollars and within two weeks of that allocation, they they said they were going to have a budget shortfall for next year. But they but they were quick to point out that that shortfall had nothing to do with this crisis. Well, of course, have one without the other. Of course it's just ludicrous, of course ludicrous. They they're they're insulting, you know, the citizens of Massachusetts that that work hard in Bay Texas. Well.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about it is that one point I was gonna say, if they put people up, let us say at you know, the Intercontinental Hotel in downtown Boston, or the Ritz or four Seasons of the Meridian, uh, the the the the Mandarin Oriental, and we're paying three or four hundred dollars a night, people would be outraged. What they're doing is they're putting them in you know, large lodge type hotels, you know in places like taunt And and Wooburn, and you know cities that were no one's flocking to, sadly, and they are paying prices of three hundred dollars. Look at this. There was a no big taxicab contract on the Cape, which I hope someone gets some information on some taxicab company in Truro which was providing taxicab service for migrants six million dollars a year. How many taxi cab rides in the Cape could you take to have to spend six million dollars. Yeah, there's a lot of cab rides, don't you think.
Speaker 3: And and the and the hotels, and the hotels like the Meridian in the you know, a Mandarin Oriental. Those are reserved for the governor and her staff. Those, yes, and those are three thousand the night right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, yeh Uh. It's like you know, the hotel front On. I came Quebec. Look uh, these towns Norfolk, uh in taunting uh and and Plymouth down to the Cape where they've had some of these problems. And the school systems, the schools were about to have the influx of students set upon them, and no one in the legislature turned around and said at some point, hey, look, let's amend this nineteen eighty three law. This was there was not no intention back then to house migrants. It was intended for long term Massachusetts residents who found themselves in a bad, you know, situation financially and maybe even domestically. That is what the purpose was back in nineteen eighty three. This law, this law has been totally misapplied in terms of what its original intent and original purpose was. And I think that if the Globe keeps pushing on this. We're going to get more and more information and it's gone to it's going to inuit the benefit, to the to the credit of the globe. They're doing good work on this, and they're doing good work which is going to embarrass an administration that they've primarily supported.
Speaker 3: They are and I think the one thing that hopefully will come out of this is that as a country, we can address this migrant crisis and realize that you know, you know, we look at some of these governors that are shipping these people to these other states like ours, and as horrible as that is, I mean, at some point they these guys have been dealing with this in our border states like Arizona and Texas and Nevada and California. I mean, they've been dealing with us for years.
Speaker 2: Well, and what are they going to do? They have to they have Look, if we're not going to close the borders, we're going to open the borders. Every state should absorb some responsibility. We basically made our state a magnet by not saying that this nineteen eighty three statute, this right, the shelter Law, only applied to people who had been resided sidents of Massachusetts for you know, they should have amended that a year ago. We knew that this flood was coming, no doubt, Steven Love you call, very strong, first time call. Please continue to call this program.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks so much, Thank you, Stephen.
Speaker 2: Okay, go and take a quick break. We're going to get to more callers. We got Larry coming up, Mark, and I got room for you. So I got one call one line at six one seven, two, five, four to ten thirty and two at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. Look, when the Boston Globe wants to call out the democratic governor of Massachusetts over the issue of transparency, then I think we have crossed a rubicon here that the Globe cannot back down from. I mean, they are still a very powerful institution. I know that there are a lot of people who will be mad at the Globe for having done this front page story today, because obviously the attitude of many people are that the governor's office should be saco saying and they should not be questioned and second guests because they're a democratic governor. Well, the Globe took a strong stance to today. I say hats off to the Globe. I hope you will as well. You may not be a reader of the Globe, I am. You may not even like the Globe. But when the Globe does a story like this which does show I think an absolute abuse, an abuse of what should be transparency, hats off to the Globe. There's two lines open at six, one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. Feel free to join this conversation. This is an important story. This might be a moment in time where things could potentially change a little bit in Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Back on Nightside Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World nights Side Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks to the calls. Larry is in Bill Ricca. Larry, appreciate you joining us. You're next one Nightside, Go right ahead, Larry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dan, thanks for taking my call out, longtime listener, first time call.
Speaker 2: Wow, turn around, a little run of a close around. Look, appreciate it. What's your thought on this this this Globe article which really holds the feet of the healthy administration of the fire on the issue of transparency.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was kind of thrilled to see the Globe finally kind of go that way right. It's always been it's always been perceived as a you know, favorable newspaper towards the democratic kind of side of the house and all the things and all the policies and associated with that kind of Finally glad to see them kind of cutting both ways right.
Speaker 2: Well, well, you know, it's interesting. We always got to separate the the editorial policy from the front page the news stories. Now they've been very aggressive here with what I would call a good piece of solid piece of attempted investigated journalism. Hopefully this doesn't end with what they've done today, and they'll continue to pursue this and if necessary, try to take the Heally administration a court to get this information. It'll be interesting to see if there's a Globe editorial in the next couple of days which supports the investigative journalism I think them very well might be, And that would be a stunning development.
Speaker 4: Wow. I mean, something the Globe Spotlight team could certainly take gone and go real deep if they if they if they deem it necessary or something that they feel as more more run way ahead of it. But I guess my comment and what kind of that drove me to call is you know, in the private sector, none of what you just described from an expense perspective would be, you know, readily acceptable. I've worked in the private sector and financial services for over thirty years, and you have to kind of prove why an expense is contributing towards the benefit of the of the business or contributing towards you know, the future profits of the business. And to your point earlier, what's the benefit of the state of Massachusetts? And even where the governing accountability around reasonable rates that can be born by anybody who wants to use one of the commercially available you know, travel sites out there, you know, paying a playing a rate that's above above market for God, forpid, you know, going into a suite when you can stay in a regular room. Where's the accountability if I do that? In the personal side, they pay for it personally. Governa Healy wants to travel to the Wisconsin Rome, which I've been to. It's a beautiful hotel and stay this week, Well, the state reim versuship for one hundred and twenty five bucks. The rest is on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know that's great, that's a great point.
Speaker 4: I would yeah, I would hope, I would hope that it's Sorry, interrupted, but I would I would hope that that's something that, you know, if they really want to show transparency, if the audit the audit department of the state would take a look at.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the other thing is that a lot of these political candidates who get who are fortunate enough to be elected to high positions, they have their campaign funds. Okay. Now, I would think that legally there would be nothing that would stop them from using campaign funds as opposed to tax dollars if they were going to travel somewhere, and obviously they may choose to travel somewhere, but it was seen to me that before going to the to the public fisk to stay at these five star hotels, et cetera, let the state give them a per diem for a hotel loosen one hundred and twenty five dollars on hundred and fifty dollars, and then use their own political funds to make up the difference. So that therefore they're making the decision that they're going to up the amount of money they're paying, but it would be out of if not their personal pocket, it would be out of their their their their fund, their political funds.
Speaker 4: If you get my drift couldn't agree more. And I you know another second point you were discussing on the migrats. I mean, when the first plane hit, I forget to it with Nan talking to Vinyon. I said to my wife, this is going to become a much bigger issue, you know, And back then it was it was deemed political fodder. But I think it was a little bit of what Steve said. It's finally every other state that's been dealing with this day in and day out, and every other governor on both sides of the aisle that's been dealing with us day in and day out, starting to try to spread the love around. And you know, we've had open arms until it until it hurts so much.
Speaker 2: But well, well.
Speaker 4: Someone needs to pay for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The people in Martha's Vinyon, if you remember, they were thrilled that the migrants had arrived, and they landed at Martha's Vinyon airport, and they gave them Martha's Vinyne hats and Methis Mart's Vinyon T shirts, and they gave them some sandwiches. They let them stay overnight at the church, and then they put them on a bus the next day. And headed it drove over right, you put them on the ferry to Cape Cod, so you know they dropped them.
Speaker 3: They not in my back very quickly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I think I think this is this is you know, Governor it to your point, Governor Dukakas did this back in the day to help folks in need Massachusetts long term residence in need.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: And I think I agree with you wholeheartedly. It needs to be revisited because right now it's being abused, but it's being abused on everyone. Yes, and and and I think this is a little case of the of the much bigger order crisis that we've all been kind of hearing and dealing with.
Speaker 2: Well, if you if you remember back last at some point it was last year or early this year, Governor Healey and Lieutenant Governor Driscoll. Driscoll made an appeal to Massachusetts residence and they said, gee, if you have a spare room in your home, or or you have an in law apartment that's not not being used, maybe you could welcome a migrant family. I still don't know if any people in Massachusetts welcomed migrant families into their home. If they did, my hat's off to those individuals. They're better human beings. That's not virtue signaling, that's actually walking the walk and talking the talk. And I think that, you know, if people do that, hats off to them. But I will bet you the few and far between.
Speaker 4: Well, I would bet you this few and far between, and if we went up and down the hall of the State House, there's zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know something. I'm not going to bet the over on that number with you, Larry, Thank you so much, great call, great first call. Come on back more often. I need callers like you, okay, who are really effective and efficient. Thank you, appreciate it. Night you too. Let me go to Mark in Austin. Don't want Mark to have to wait through the newscast.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Mark, Okay, thanks for taking my call. Then, I think this issue of the migrants, where the Heally administration is withholding the information supposed lead to protect the migrants from some kind of backlash. This is only the latest incident of a problem that's endemic on Beacon Hill. With openness and transparency. That means yes, Governor Healy won't even release her campaign contributions, even though she's legally retired required to do so. And the state Auditor, a nice woman wants to do her job in order to state legislature, and Speaker Marianna refuses, and every time it happens, the rest of us are left to wonder what are they hiding?
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you this, Mark, You and I sometimes disagree, but you could not be more correct in my opinion. Tonight you're talking about the state Auditor, Diane Dezaglio we've had on this show. As a matter of fact, I think we might invite the auditor to come on later this week and talk about this specifically, ailed this one tonight for me. Mark, Yeah, yeah, And I wish I had mentioned auditor as ugly, oh, because she's up there fighting for all of us, not just taxpayers, but all of us who need to understand how this state is being run. And not only is what happening with our tax dollars, but other tax dollars being used effectively and efficiently. This hotels, Mark, who are being paid three hundred dollars a night guaranteed for an entire year or two years. This is a windfall. If I was a hotel owner, If you were a hotel owner and you own some sort of fleabag hotel somewhere that was never you know, at capacity, and all of a sudden, some guy walks in and says, hey, can we write you a check three hundred times three hundred and sixty five times, however many rooms you have, we would.
Speaker 5: Be yeah, thrilled. You know, I used to work as seasonally as the election supervisor. Yes, And there was this nice young woman graduate journalism student from China who'd never heard of the Voting Rights Act of nineteen sixty five. But it was right there in our procedures manual. So I explained it there and one of my bosses at city Hall, in the election department backed me up one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a little off topic to what we're talking about here, So let's say that story for another night, and let's just right right.
Speaker 5: The point is, you know, if it's legally a matter of public record, that should be that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, let me tell you. When they run for office, they talk about transparency, and they talk about sunlight being the greatest disinfectant. But the only one up there who lives by that code of conduct, in my opinion, is the state Auditor, Diane Dezaglio. And she is persona non grata amongst the on Beacon Hill and let's hat so we will try to get here on in the next week we talk about this. And by the way, she happens to be a Democrat, which is great, which is.
Speaker 5: Because I think that's phone too yop about that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mark, appreciate you, Carl. I have a great night. We've got to take a break here for news. At the bottom of the hour, I get two lines at six one seven, two, five four ten thirty and one at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. I want to hear from you on this one. The Boston Globe has taken a position today which is a huge surprise to me. It's it's journalism at its best, and I want to give the Globe credit where credit is due, and I hope some of you will do as well. Okay, if you're not subscribers to the Globe, that's why I'm telling you about this story today. This is good investigative journalism, and it's investigative journalism of an administration. I either heal the administration that the Globe has supported editorially and also on their newspages, but this carently was a step too far. And the Globe has called them out, and I say, hats off to the Globe. Let's talk about it here on Nightside. Coming right back after.
Speaker 1: This Night Side with Dan Ray on w BZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Kyle. Let me go to Mike in California. Mike, welcome you next on Nightside.
Speaker 6: Go right here, sir, Dan, first time, long time.
Speaker 2: Wow you. This is the third first team call in a row. Whereabouts in California?
Speaker 6: Join us from I split my time between the Bay Air in southern California, but I actually spend a third of my time in Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, thank you very much, honored that you would. I've never had to the rest of my knowledge. We're we're coming into year eighteen here on Nightside. I can tell you it's spent a long time since we've had three first on Carlos in a row. Oh, thank you very much. Go right ahead.
Speaker 4: Full disclosure.
Speaker 6: You and I share a high school Alma Mada and more. Heley and I share a college on Malada.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I got it.
Speaker 6: Okay, I just find it interesting on a couple of fronts. One, none of this is surprising, you know, I don't get into politics at all, but obviously the people in Massachusetts, wh I love continually electing people that you just really have to scratch your head. None of this was a surprise, and one of the things that's facing challenges my backgrounds in the military, the consulting in corporate world. Now, but you know, we're coming to a financial crisis in this country with the deficit, the fact that China owns half of our debt, the fact that we've done an alliance of China, Russia, Iran and possibly Turkey aligned against us, and we're focused on all the wrong stuff. And I just find it a little ironic that the Globe, who did a tremendous job in its spotlight series with the Catholic Church, who's done wonderful things, but get unacceptable things at time, that the healthy administration is following that same act of oh, there's a report of a sexual abuse. Let's not let's not chronicle it, let's not report it, let's just move the guy. Does that sound familion?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, actually exactly, you're talking about the the alleged rape at that Rockland shelter again, you know, by the way, by the way, just so you know, that defendant had his bail reduced to personal recognissance and was released, but ICE figured that out and they arrested him yesterday, so he will remain in custody as I understand, and I intend to probably reach.
Speaker 6: Out to SPI. I spent a third of my time in California, I spent a third time in New York and a third of my time in Massachusetts. And you know, what's going on in New York City is the same thing with with with with the revolving bail and really the people of all these cities, most of them good hardworking, decent people, have to wake up and figure out who they they want to vote for.
Speaker 3: Read the paper.
Speaker 6: I'm not a big I'm not a big fan of the Globe, but you've got to read it. And and we're on an inflection point right now in terms of not just domestically but globally how we want to address these issues. And you know, ninety percent of the people up there are just good, decent people that want to get their kids educated, support their kids, and what have you. And it's really unfortunate with and I got to say at the feckless political representation in the Massachusetts both at the state level, and and and in Congress. Uh, but people people keep electing them. You know, you have a terrific show. I listen to you because not only are you a high school alma model, but you run a very decent, informative show. And I think if the rest of the country looked at the decent and sensible way which you approach, you don't back down. You're not a you know, you're not a soft touch, but you demand decency and demand information. I really applied you free show, and that's why I call it.
Speaker 2: Well, Mike, I appreciate it very much. I'm honored that you're for that. You finally have called I hope you become a regular caller and you have identified what this show is supposed to be about. I'm very happy, uh, and gratified that the Globe has taken this step today. It had to have been a big step editorially for the And again I think sometimes their editorial philosophy has leaked over onto its news pages, and I've called them out on that. But this was an extraordinary piece. I hope the Globe continues and pursues it, and we'll see if they do. But we'll stay on top of it. We have the healthcare crisis going on here, which also, by the way, really in some ways is related back to the the priest pedophile crisis, which never should have happened, a disgrace to the Catholic Church, a disgrace to the leadership of the Catholic Church. We're trying to cover that up. And coming back to the point you made initially, this is the Healy administration falling into that same trap. So brilliant, call, I would expect nothing less from from a Boston Latin school man Suma's PREMI and a Harvard graduate.
Speaker 6: Dan, keep up, keep up the good work, all right, I.
Speaker 2: Will, and I would hope that you will become a regular contributor.
Speaker 3: Okay, just real quickly.
Speaker 6: I listened to you all over the world. Wherever I am, I listen. I listened to you all the time. The Internet's a wonderful thing, and it just let you know Boston's home. It lets me stay connected there and keep up the good work.
Speaker 2: I just came back from a trip with knightside listeners to Italy, and I got to tell you, no matter whenever I leave Boston, as thrilled as I am to go to another part of the world and experience their culture. It is always so gratifying to come back to this.
Speaker 6: I said to some of the other I want Dan Ray's job because you just get back from Ireland. Now is in Italy. It's a great time. Yeah, thank curious.
Speaker 2: Good night, Mike. Next time you Boston, give me a call, love to meet up with you. Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thanks well, thanks very much.
Speaker 2: All right, talk to you soon. Have a great one. I'll tell you a call like that makes my night, no question about it. Let me go to I lean in Waltham. I lean you in next on Nightsacker right ahead, Yeah, good.
Speaker 7: Ask what do you mean Dan, how are you good?
Speaker 2: I know you were not a first time caller, but you are just as valued. I want you to know that.
Speaker 3: Go right ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 7: First of all, this is not a new problem.
Speaker 3: It's an old problem.
Speaker 7: It's just become exacerbated over the last year or so. I have hired people to work for me and find out they have social security licenses everything, and they're here illegally. Sure, So it's been happening for a long time. It just has become more aggressive. And my question and one of the questions, we're not answering is why is it being a looved yea, that's what we need, that's the root cause, and that's what we need to get out.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll give you an answer. I will give you an answer. If you want an answer.
Speaker 7: I'll give you the answer to it, but you'll give me yours list.
Speaker 2: Well, my answer is that there are a lot of people in this country, particularly in the legal community, okay, who view their purpose not of enforcing the law, but they view their purpose as somehow evading the law for causes in which they happen to personally believe. So, for example, you have people here who believe that America should be open to everyone on earth, despite what you know, what we represent as a country. You know, we we have an open immigration policy. All you have to do is go to a consulate or to an embassy somewhere in the world and applied to to immigrate here. But we have a right as a country, uh to to with to to run our own borders and to and to have borders. But there are people here who view our form of government and our economy as something There was an article in the Globe today about these uh, the these these fabian socialists out in western Massachusetts who were who are still enthralled with UH Marx and Lenin and Engles and Castro and UH and whomever else they might and they're having these great meetings and they admit openly they want to change our system. So you have those folks, and then you have people within the legal community who are trying to use our own constitution, which is a great document against against us, and they're they're they're ready to UH to support people who have come here with ill intent, have crossed our border knowing that they are breaking our immigration laws, they are not complying with our system. But you have these willing accomplishments, accomplishes, accomplices, accomplish accomplices in the Civil Liberties Union UH. The Civil Liberties Union originally was founded to defend and protect free speech. Now the levels the Civil Liberties Union is a group of political activists who feel that immigration and open borders how this country should be run. Go ahead, your your your answer, You answer your own question.
Speaker 7: First of all, let me quote I one of my best friends started the Irish Immigration Center years ago. They did great work and they helped people who really wanted to come here become part of America, help them with their paper, everything together here, and they had English. First of all, most of these people, a lot of these they don't speak English. That creates a huge disruption of your society when forty percent of people can't speak English.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's a balkanization argument, and I tend to agree with that. But if someone comes here and wants to assimilate, I don't want to keep people out of the country because they don't speak English. Because people can learn learn it.
Speaker 7: They're not even interested in learning it. Kind of the deal with the people I hied that they didn't speak English is that they I would help them. I would try the lords of Finish, and they should try the Lords of English. They need no more attempt to do so. It was too hot.
Speaker 2: Well that's a problem.
Speaker 7: That's a problem, and they watch Sesame Street. You can learn English.
Speaker 2: Did you see the piece in the globe we're talking about today? If I could ask that question.
Speaker 7: But this also makes a roadblock for regular employees English speaking. You know, a company like mine to hire people. It just roughs your teamwork. There was no team work when half of your employees time to communicate the other half of your employees.
Speaker 2: I agree. I understand that that's called the simulation.
Speaker 7: We had that problem where we're doing a job and half of the people are sitting over there eating the picture I just bought, and half of the people are sitting over there eat the picture I just bought.
Speaker 2: You know, Okay, I mean I think I think that we are essentially in agreement on this. My question to you is, did you did you happen to see the globe the piece I'm talking about tonight.
Speaker 7: No, but I will get it and read it. But here's the thing, if you if you want Lizzy there, Senator Losey recently they the statement that she wanted to make a path the citizenship for all these.
Speaker 2: People who said that of Senate Senator Warren Well, right, that's exactly. She made it very clear. That's the purpose, that's the goal, that is the goal.
Speaker 7: But if you go to Mexico, you have to learn studis to become a Mexican citizen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again to learn German.
Speaker 2: Well, we may have lost that argument here, Okay. I don't know that we can impose or that that language requirement on potential immigrants, but I think we need to be able to say if you're going to come here, we got to know who you are. We got to know what your skills are. We want to know why you're coming here, and we will make a decision as to whether or not we accept you. And if you happen to be a nurse or a doctor who's qualified coming here from a place like Bangladesh, you go to the front of the line. If you're a lawyer coming here from Ireland, we had probably too many lawyers in America, you go to the back of the link. Think, well, I'm already here. I was born here. I was lucky. But I'm also a dual citizen. I have my Irish citizenship as well. But I did it the right way. I didn't break into Ireland. I have through you know, through their their immigration law, so I have a dual citizenship.
Speaker 7: These politicians think these people can come and just get jobs. It's not that easy.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, pay I lean. I got to run here because I'm way past my broadcasting.
Speaker 7: I wanted to say quickly, is the cost to US school system, especially Boston is astronomical, no question.
Speaker 2: And you don't even count it in terms of dollars. You counted in terms of lost learning time, simple as that. Ilean, thank you, gotta go bye bye. We'll take a quick break. Coming right back on nightside. We got some open lines six one seven, four ten thirty, six one, seven thirty. This is a I think, an extraordinary opportunity to one agree with the Globe and also commend them for taking a position that probably caused some discomfort within some aspects of the newsroom. Uh. This is this is a good piece of journalism we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Mine from the window World, light Side Studios on w b Z, the news radio.
Speaker 2: Back to the poosergos. Go to Eileen and Hull. Eileen, welcome back. How are you?
Speaker 8: Oh well, I'm doing okay, but I had to call about this. I didn't read the article, uh in the Globe, but I will read it. And my issue is government responsibility should be first of all, for for the citizens of our state who've been here lie long. And I happen to have a very unpopular need which is almost not mentionable, which is a son with mental illness who requires care, and the state is really not doing as much as they should for the people that they purged from mental hospitals. It's a very unpopular issue, but it's the issue that I'm dealing with.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I agree with you, Eileen, and I think that more attention needs to be given to that, and we can do follow up stories on that, particularly in the context of what's going on with this. But I can't focus a lot on this on that tonight. But I think it's good that you made that point, because it's a good counterpoint that as we focus all of this attention on people who have just arrived, we're ignoring people who are here and who need help. And I thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, well said Next up, Pauline and air. Pauline, you were next on nice, I go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Good, can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, if you get off the speakerphone, you'd be just perfect. So can you get off the speakerphone. Let's put Pauline on hold, Folks. Someone should have told her to get off the speakerphone. Let me go to Kathy in Boston. Kathy, Pauline, we'll get back to you, I promise. Go ahead, Kathy, Hey, welcome, how are you.
Speaker 9: I don't have a problem with the migrants, but I have a problem of you not taking care of your household is like me saying I will not feed my kids and go and feed someone else kids and I and you know you should. For example, I was out. I'm a mail carrier. I was hurt. I was hurt and I was and I wasn't getting my full pay and I need an extra help. And I I applied to SNAP benefits and I was four hundred and something our dollars away from the cutoff point, and I still think qualifying.
Speaker 2: Well, again, that's the point, you know, we should be generous. I mean, if you're a mail carryer and you get hurt, if you're somebody who's working get hurt, you you need to get some more help. It's as simple as that. But again, we only have so much money. And when we take and divert a billion dollars a year, tell people who have come here and have never lived here. I mean, at some point that money's being taken away, not only from the taxpayers, but from people like you who probably are a taxpayer as well. And you now need some, you know, some help. In what we call the commonwealth. The politicians always say it's the commonwealth, Well, it's the commonwealth. For people who live in the Commonwealth. It should not be the Commonwealth for the rest of.
Speaker 9: The world because it's like, for instance, I was mad at the guy it was I said, I don't mean to be mad at you, but may work in sixty plus hours a week, I cannot even get a time need bit of help. Then I'm really needing it.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree with you more, you know, So they.
Speaker 9: Should take some of that money and put aside for people like myself and others, you know, in situations as you said that needs to help, then they need it.
Speaker 2: Well you have you heard Eileen from how she has a son who is not getting the help he needs dealing with some you know, some some some mental issues, okay, and then you have someone like yourself, you have a physical need to get back to work. Couldn't agree with both of you more. But the problem is it's it's sexier, it's it's more laudable in the minds of some people that somehow the people who will come here go to the head of the line, and that's just wrong. I loved you call Kathy, I hope have you have you called me before?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 2: It's your first time?
Speaker 9: No, it is the first time.
Speaker 2: We got to give you round in Foss and I hope you will come back and and and talk talk more about your situation.
Speaker 7: Okay, Okay, thank you, Thanks Kathy, have.
Speaker 2: A great night. Okay, we're up at the eleven Pauline from air callback. We'll get you up. We'll be back right after eleven o'clock news