Speaker 1: It's nice eyes with Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you crazy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Madison.
Speaker 3: We'll have a great weekend once we get to Saturday morning. And if you stay with us, I promise you I will get you to the cusp of Saturday morning. My name is Dan Ray. Is Madison indicated. We have Andrew Rich in the control room tonight. Andrew, not sure how you ended up with the assignment. I think rob is working tomorrow. I'm suspecting maybe you guys switched or something like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna We're not not gonna tell the world, but welcome Andrew. Always great to talk with you, well, not talk well, talk with that.
Speaker 1: I don't see, that's for sure. My name is Dan Ray.
Speaker 3: I'm the host of the show, and we have some we have some spring news tonight. Before we get to all of our topics in this hour, Laurie from Idaho brings us Robins that she has baby Robbin's the Mama Robin built the NESK on one of her deck lamps, and not to be outdone, got a great video from Owne Hamilton up in Alaska, by way of her sister Rosemary I think who lives in West Roxbury of a moose, I mean a big moose kind of strolling through her backyard. Just show you that living in Alaska is a little bit different than living in West Roxbury. This was a big moose, very gentle, very polite, no problem whatsoever. All right, let's get to business. One of my favorite eight PM guests I think all of you know, is my friend Emily Sweeney of the Boston Globe. She does the Cold Case File, which is a great, great service in my opinion. Emily, welcome back to Night's side.
Speaker 1: How are you tonight?
Speaker 4: Excellent? Dan, thank you so much for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: How many of these cold cases have you been working on? I mean, this is not the first one we've done, and we haven't done all of them. How let's first of all, have people get an opportunity. How do they find the cold Case file on the Globe website?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So, Well, if you do a Google search Cold Case Files Boston Globe, the landing page pops up and you can see all the past stories there. We also have a newsletter you can sign up to receive it, and it's Globe dot com slash Cold case files perfect and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Pretty straightforward. So the one that we're highlighting tonight goes back to nineteen seventy three, So we're talking forty Do the math for me here, that's got to be twenty seven plus twenty four. That's we're talking fifty one fifty two years now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, over fifty years, yeahty years.
Speaker 1: And set the stage.
Speaker 3: This is a nice day in June fifth of nineteen seventy three, and a woman who was thirty two at the time, Mareen Monahan, took her four year old daughter of a couple of errands and as you're right, they never returned.
Speaker 1: Set the stage for.
Speaker 3: Us, and tell us what people might be able to do to help you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Dan So, So June fifth, nineteen seventy three, it's a Tuesday. Marie moynihan. She's a thirty two year old mother of two young kids. She got her kids in the car. She dropped off her six year old son at his afternoon kindergarten class in West Boylston. So this is out in central mass Yeah, yeah, yep, exactly. And then she and her four year old daughter, Jennifer, went to do some shopping, you know, while he was at school. But what it's unknown really what happened from there after she dropped you know, their son off. So she goes missing and so does Jennifer. They never come home and you know, her husband reports them missing. And the plan was they you know, she had older husband that she was going to go shopping at like this apartment store called Mammoth Mott. It was in Worcester, and she never It's not clear she ever made it there because the next day her car and was found in Rutland State Park in a wooded area, and her and a four year old daughter had been stabbed to death. It's a very horrific, horrific murder.
Speaker 3: Their bodies were found. Okay, one question than I have. Rutland, Massachusetts is que you know, Massachusetts not a big state geographically, but that's a pretty good distance from from the Worcester area.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. And and what's strange too, is because the direction of where she was going to would have been going to to go to the store. This is what was like in an opposite direction. And you know, the bodies were found by two young guys who were driving along a dirt road off of one two A in Rutland. And that's where they made them all long How.
Speaker 3: Long after the day that she disappeared were the bodies found?
Speaker 4: This is the next day, Yeah, it is the next day.
Speaker 3: And so of course in those days, even if she went to the Mammoth Mart, there probably was no video cam which would have showed her walking in the door.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Did most of those stores in those days have video cams? I don't recall, to be honest with you, but.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, it's nothing like it how it is today. I mean, you know, that's the thing that you know, no smartphones, not as much you know, security video camera footage, which is like kind of everywhere today. You know, I.
Speaker 3: Assume that the that the police, uh did all the things they had to do in terms of dusting for frink of prints and looking for you know, the conditions of the bodies, whether there was any extraneous DNA.
Speaker 1: There was nothing to go on.
Speaker 3: No blood actually samples that were inconsistent with the mom It's not as if the person who did this or person's cut themselves. No blood samples, no weather.
Speaker 4: They were able to get some DNA from the scene and that was preserved. And this there is like this could be a key to solving this. Back in two thousand and six, the evidence was sent for DNA testing and it's unknown, you know, what kind of results came out of that, but you know that I'm not sure if it was tested again. But in twenty fifteen, authorities exhumed a body from Fairview Cemetery in hyde Pack because they were hoping that it was a match to identify the killer. This would have been like a relative of the killer. It's unclear whether that led anywhere. It probably didn't. I called the DA's office and you know, they couldn't comment. But obviously that was ten years ago, but there is evidence there was DNA that was tested, So that is a hope. And you know, and obviously if anybody knows anything, I know a lot of time has passed, but you never know. It's you know, I was giving a talk at the Writing Public Library the other night, and I like, you know, I always tell everybody it's so important to get the word out about these cases because just from the stories I've written, I know that tips have come in to authorities as a result of the stories.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you what what I'd love to do with you. I'll have you on every other week. I'll have you on every week. If this would be helpful to you, I would love that.
Speaker 1: You got it. That's a deal.
Speaker 3: I'll tell Marita on Monday that that we're going to do that. Okay, we'll work as a as a junior partner to you on this and because if we can help you solve one of these, it'll be well worth it. So let me ask you this what became of her husband, Gerald Mornihan, and what became of the six year old son? Know what?
Speaker 4: You know this obviously the family is and you know I was not able to interview them when I wrote the story. But I plan on doing a follow up story, Dan, because a source recently gave me some of the case files from the investigation. That so I may be doing a follow up story and I am going to try to reach out to the soun Okay, you know he he's willing to talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the dad Again, this is over fifty years old. Whether or not Gerald one hand is still alive, you don't know the fact that they were, you know, pulling a DNA and testing it on another corpse. That would indicate to me that he never was a suspect in the case. And the six year old son, now he's got to be in his late fifties. You would think that, yeah, again, not being putting yourself in the shoes of these people. They I'm sure would love to have it solved that she just met with some maniac. And you just think that whoever did this, they may have taken this to their grave. How do you do that? I mean, you would think that on the deathbed, if they were fortunate enough to lie and to die in a deathbed, that that one of them, trying to get right with the hereafter, might say, hey, I just got to clear my mind, got to clear my soul.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: This is great, great work, Emily. We'll be back in touch with that. I want to do this on a regular basis if that works.
Speaker 4: Great sounds great.
Speaker 3: Great work, Emily, And I just want to say thanks so much for joining us tonight, and.
Speaker 1: Let's hope that maybe something is listening. You never know, Okay, you just never know. Have a great weekend, are you too? Thanks? Will we get back.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk with a professor of pediatrics and Population health at NYU's Gross Gross Grossman School of Medicine, uh. He has done some work linking the use of linking the exposure to certain chemicals used to make plastic household items that could be linked to heart disease. This one's pretty scary, by the way. My name is Dan Ray.
Speaker 1: This is Nights Side. We have a very interesting show for you.
Speaker 3: Coming up tonight. At nine o'clock. We're going to do a little bit of a deep dive into the Bill Belichick controversy of earlier this week. And then we're also at ten o'clock going to talk with an author who has picked the fifty best professional athletes because they didn't see to be any amateur athletes involved in this. So going to kind of go to a little bit of a sports program tonight, change things up for everybody a little bit. I'll remind you if you don't have the iHeart app new and improved iHeart App, go to the app store, get the new improved iHeart app, bring it down, make us you have first make us meeting WBZ your first preset. Therefore, you will only be a fingertip away three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven anywhere in the world. We'll be back on night side, no phone calls until after nine. We'll be back to talk about heart disease and is it linked to certain chemicals in plastic household common plastic household items.
Speaker 2: Night Side with Dan Ray, I'm delling you Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, little change the plans here.
Speaker 3: Sometimes the guests that we have lined up, they may be really smart people.
Speaker 1: But sometimes they don't, you know, they don't. They're not where they should be.
Speaker 3: So we'll get back to that question about plastics, household plastics and the possibility the linkage.
Speaker 1: To heart disease. And we're gonna talk with Paula Fleming. Paula is always there.
Speaker 3: She's the chief marketing and sales officer for the Better Business Bureau of Boston, Boston Better Business BUEL, bbb UH and Paula we were interested to find out. First of all, welcome back and thanks for moving up in the lineup for us tonight, Paula, thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 5: Good evening. Dennis, my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Well you're the best. You're the best.
Speaker 3: Between you and Emily Sweeney from the Globe, two of my favorite people. So I know I'm in good shape, at least for most of most of the eight o'clock hour.
Speaker 5: So that's so kind and in good company. I respect her tremendously.
Speaker 3: That's great work. That's great work. Okay, so you're warning folks. I think everybody knows that by May seventh, a lot of people would like to have their real ID driver's licenses so that they don't have to go through the inconvenience of carrying the passport with them if they want to fly on a plane here in America, or if they want to go into a federal building. What is the scam and how's this? What should people be watching out for sure?
Speaker 5: So there's a critical point to remember. Getting your real idea is an in person process at your local department and motor vehicles. So while some states might let you start the paperwork online, like Massachusetts, the final step requires a visit in person. And this is where our first tip comes in. You want to be extremely wary of any website claiming to offer real IDs without any in person DM visit. They are certainly a fake website and it is a scam. So do not enter any of your personal information on sites and please report them immediately to us at the bub Scam Track or so we can alert others.
Speaker 1: These scammers are just persistent.
Speaker 3: They don't give up. I mean, if they applied to a legitimate job or a legitimate profession all of the effort that they apply to scamming people, that'd be huge successes. We have any idea where these are coming out of, these homegrown scammers or were we back talking about some of the Eastern European type scammers.
Speaker 5: No, I do not know where they are coming out of, to be honest with you, and thankfully, locally, we have yet to have a report of this scam and I want to keep it that way. That's why I'm so appreciative of the time you give me on air to educate people on what not to do so they can keep their personal and financial information safe. It's so easy to want to take, you know, the quick alternative, but it is a scam and we want people to understand. While I am on board with the stress, I too need a real I d and wait it till the last minute, and unfortunately I keep clicking the triple A refresh button waiting for an appointment. But I'm going to have to walk in like everyone else to the DMV.
Speaker 3: Well, No, here's the deal, Okay, I can help you out on this, Okay, in all ways, y the real ID you're supposed to have it by March seventh, however, you can get it May May, May, May mate, you can get it on eighth, May ninth, May ten, Yeah, July third. All the pressure everybody's feeling, the pressure to meet the deadline.
Speaker 1: But the deadline's going to come and go.
Speaker 3: So if you're not getting on an airplane for the next couple of weeks, I'm telling you the amount of applications at the R and V on let's.
Speaker 1: See next the seventh. Today is the second. So the seventh is Wednesday.
Speaker 3: After Wednesday, I bet you that the R and B they'll be sitting there drumming their fingers on their tables, saying, where is everybody?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like that's the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I believe. So I've talked to people there actually, And unless and the worst case scenario, let's assume you had to fly on I don't know May seventh, you bring your passport with you, or if you have to make a federal building downtown, bring your passport with you. Make sure you keep it safe and sound somewhere on you where you don't lose it.
Speaker 1: That's the problem.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this loosen up the process is of pain because as you know, and again I'm not I'm just trying to help you out here. Make sure that you look at that website and you pulled together all the documents you needed and then some because one of the when I went four or five years ago, remember this was supposed to go to effect in October twenty uh and now the rush is on. I was supposed to bring I don't know, like three different bills that showed that I lived at the address would show to my driver's license. You would think that that would have been enough. No, I had to find an electric bill. I had to find some sort of a gas bill or whatever to prove that I had paid it was. They were looking for a lot more. In my opinion, it was necessary. But hey, if it keeps if it keeps us safe, that's great. I'm delighted that you guys are on the lookout for these scams. They just keep popping up, That's what's going on. They just keep popping up, and you guys do at the Boston.
Speaker 2: Thank You Bureau.
Speaker 1: How can find thank you?
Speaker 3: Yes, how can folks get more information on scams generally at the BBB.
Speaker 1: What what's the website?
Speaker 5: Sure, it is BBB dot org. And to be more specific, if you want to check out scams that are transpiring either locally in your community or across the United States, we have something called the BBB scam Tracker and that is BBB dot org forward Slash Scam Tracker.
Speaker 3: Let's say it's such important work, and it is. It really it drives me crazy. These guys, these folks, these bad guys, and I use that to generic guys. They're coming at us in every direction. They're trying to hit us on our phones, hit us on our cell phones. I mean, the only thing that and maybe there's sometimes they do it ringing your do a bell. You just have to assume everybody.
Speaker 1: Just like when you're driving, you have to.
Speaker 3: Assume every everyone else on the road is going to do something really dumb. Stop their car, turn around or whatever.
Speaker 1: You have to do the.
Speaker 3: Same thing with when you're out and about. It's it's getting to the point where you want to assume everybody's a scammer. Tough way to live your life, but I think it's almost necessary.
Speaker 5: I agree with you, and we want your listeners to remember, legitimate government agencies will never contact you unsolicited in asking for payment or send sort of information. So hang up or delete that text and go in person for that real ID. As you mentioned that it will still be available if you're not traveling after May seventh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well again, even if you are traveling after May seventh, if you have a passport, you're you're okay, and that will that a lot of people have their passport, So just for money, do Yeah, you've been warned, you've been warned, no scans, and get it whenever you can.
Speaker 1: Paula, as always, thanks so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you, Dan, have a great evening.
Speaker 3: You too, and have a good weekend, first weekend of May. One of my favorites. Thanks again. All right, well they're going to take a break. I have no idea who's coming up in the lineup next, but we'll figure that out. And Andrew is is back there working hard, and I think that he is finally located. Doctor Leonardo I think it's pronounced Trisande, uh, doctor Leonardo Tressande. Will get to him right after the break, and then later on at eight forty five, we will talk about Trump tariffs. The impact seems to have diminished stock market had a big day to day. We'll be back on nightside right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 2: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: Well, we have made connections with doctor Leonardo Tresande, Doctor Trasande.
Speaker 1: Welcome. How are you tonight, sir?
Speaker 2: Doing great? Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: You're welcome. You gave us a scare there. We couldn't find you for a couple of minutes. You're a professor of pediatrics and population health at NYU New York Universities, one of the great universities in this country, at the Grossman School of Medicine. And I guess we're going to talk about some new study or new analysis of a population study that shows daily exposure to certain chemicals used to make plastic household items can be linked to heart disease. I've heard about linkage to cancers. Now we're talking about heart disease. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, when we think of heart disease, we're usually thinking of diet, physical activity, things like smoking. But there's a new risk factor on the radar, and that's plastics. Plastics are really not the future to borrow a phrase from The Graduates. Some of your listeners might remember that movie, but yep, indeed. So what we know about plastics is that they can leach chemicals that can hack our normal signaling molecules or hormones that underlie basic biological functions like temperature, metabolism, salt, sugar, and even sex. And they've been associated with obesity and diabetes, which are major risk factors for heart disease. They can also contribute to inflammation in our coroner arteries. Not a good thing. If you've got some plaque there, you get some clot in the arteries and that can contribute to heart attack and strokes and what have you. Palates also exist with another hot topic these days, microplastics and nanoplastics, little particles that can be wrecking balls in tissues. And what we know is that thalates are added in particular to polyvinyl chloridplastic. This is the shrinky, flexible food wrap. Valtes make the plastic softer and so it gives it a lot of utility in food packaging and particular, but also personal cure products and cosmetics. Now, it turns out there have been a couple of studies that have looked at heart disease risk and unfortunately found some pretty frightening things. Dalates in a large sample of Americans were found to be increasing caurdiovascular mortality directly by linkage to National Death Index DATUM and more recently, polyvinyl chlorioplastic those classics that get halate status to them in the carotid arteries we're associated. That's the artery that feeds the neck, that feeds the brain. It's in the neck, it feeds the brain oxygen and what have you. And that was associated with a fourfold increase in heart attack, stroke, and even death. So that is pretty good evidence. Obviously, more researchers always needed. The researchers are always going to say that, but you've got a compelling case for action. We had already shown the fifty thousand Americans die each year from early heart disease due to thalates and ultimately plastic But what we did most recently was take a global perspective. We took a map of global exposure to thalates and said, wow, okay, let's see what we can find in terms of early part of basking immortality. And we found that three hundred and sixty five thousand people in twenty eighteen died as a result of thalates and ultimately plastic exposures, because roughly ninety eight percent of all palates are used in plastic materials ultimately.
Speaker 3: So the word, the word that you that you're using here is p h T H A L A t E s phllates.
Speaker 2: I guess is the word it's a mouthful.
Speaker 1: No, that's fine. So here's my question.
Speaker 3: A lot of us have in our kitchen for cooking, you know, plastic items to you know, stir the pasta or whatever. I'm from what I'm hearing from you, I need to walk downstairs and throw those out right now?
Speaker 1: What do I replace them with?
Speaker 3: Have to replace them with metal spoons and and and metal metal items that that are safer.
Speaker 1: With wooden spoons.
Speaker 3: It seems like no matter what you do, doctor, there's some inherent danger unless you're gonna uh, I'm being silly. Now take your own hand and stir the pasta as it's boiling. Which of what no one's going to do? What would what would you use for you know, typical kitchen utensils to to if not eliminate this problem, diminish it.
Speaker 2: So we were just getting through dinner here in New York City. It's a family and we actually as a matter of fact, have glass and stainless deal and would as our main tools in dealing with food. Now, this isn't something to get guilty about the past. They're safe and simple steps we can all take. They'd overquire a PhD. In chemistry or have to break the bank. And there's a lot you can do going forward, and you see short, medium and long term benefits. Short term, you can see changes in chemical levels. You can see hormone changes in weeks, and then in months and years you have reductions and not just heart disease profile. These chemicals have been linked, as you said, to certain cancers, particularly endocrine cancers like thyroid gland. They've also been associated, as I manage, with obesity and diabetes. They've been associated with effects and kids like problems in brain development, and so there's a lot of benefits that can be a team. It's even been associated with the potential progression of cancers, even if you've already had cancer. So what we're talking about here is something you can do now, and that's renegotiating. Renegotiating, sorry, your relationship with plastic period. You know, if I get out a flight, I have a steamless steel water bottle. I don't grab a plastic water bottle. It's empty before security, get on the plane with it filled. And that might not get me to Tokyo, but it'll get me to Chicago or LA from New York or Boston. So you know that's a And if you're in a workplace, you know you see a lot of these plastic water bottles lying around that you get And I think the thing that people aren't realizing is sometimes that water is simply tap water from some municipal water supply. And if your municipal water supplies perfectly good, there's no reason to tote around a plastic water bowl. It's really no difference. What you're buying really is not the water, you're buying the plastic. Yeah, and that's terribly important to keep in mind. If there's one thing I can tell your listeners to focus on is not machine dishwashing or microwaving plastic. That's just inviting chemicals and microplastics and handle plastics into food and into your body.
Speaker 3: So do not machine wash anything that's plastic, is which I'm hearing you.
Speaker 2: Say last I checked hand washing works if you really need it. I mean, you know, in an ideal world you have less plastic.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, by the way, I happen to be.
Speaker 3: I happen to be in my family the big hand washer. My wife loves to put wineglasses in the dishwasher and that they don't get washed, and they have dirty washed anyway.
Speaker 1: So here's my question.
Speaker 3: And again I'm mister practicality here, So you're the expert.
Speaker 1: You don't have.
Speaker 3: If you have plastics that you want to eliminate, you're telling me eliminate and replace them with either stainless steel, glass or wood, you know, the for the you know, kitchen utensils. You don't have to go to the high end stores and buy that. I assume you can go to your local grocery store. And as long as you stay away from plastics, by wood, stainless steel and glass, if you have to, you know, change it around and get something to stir the pasta or whatever.
Speaker 1: I think that's what.
Speaker 2: I'm hearing exactly. And just speaking of cooking, those nonstick cooking pans for different reasons, not sales, but nonstick chemicals or pithos forever chemicals. They were in this movie called Dark Waters that Mark Ruffalo did Figgers back. Those chemical are a concern, and you know, sometimes you can get cast iron, a stainless steel even cheaper. Unless I checked, a little olive oil can go a good way for your health.
Speaker 1: And that and that also stops the sticking.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I'll tell you doctor, this was This was really great. It opens my eyes. I thank you immensely. We have a lot of doctors on on different issues, but this is one that really has practical value. Doctor Leonardo Tresonde of the New York University Grossman School of Medicine. I'd love to keep in touch with you on this and other issues. You're you're a great doctor, but I also think you're a great communicator.
Speaker 1: And take it from guys's done this for a long time. You you really made this.
Speaker 3: You answered all the questions directly, and I think you helped out a lot of people tonight. I thank you for doing that.
Speaker 2: Happy you come back anytime, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Thanks very much, have a great weekend. Enjoy the weather in New York City this weekend. I hope it's as good as it may be in Boston.
Speaker 2: Thanks again, you too. Thank you.
Speaker 3: We have one more left, and we're going to talk with the senior political reporter from Vox, Nicole Narrea or Noray, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I hope it's no Ray as it's spelled ori Ea.
Speaker 3: We'll get to all of that, and we're going to talk about the rising of what's rising due to Trump's tariffs. I'll tell you one thing that's not rising is oil prices, and that's going to help.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it. On the other side.
Speaker 2: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: Well, today is May second, and it was about a month ago on April second, that President Donald Trump declared Liberation Day.
Speaker 1: And when he declared Liberation.
Speaker 3: Day, he talked about tariffs and the market. The stock market had a turbulent month in May. We're now twenty thirty days after April second and joining us Nicole Narrea. She's a senior political reporter for Vox. Nicole, We're going to talk about Donald Trump's tarras they seem to be in full swing. We want to see what's going on. And I just want to set the stage by noting that today the stock market had a great day across the board s and P was up, Dow was up, Nasdaq was up all pretty close to one and a half percent, and that was I think we're back pretty close to where we were pre April. Second, what's going on in terms of just stock prices. Let's start there, and we can also throw in oil prices. Oil is now down around sixty dollars a barrel, which is good and only argues well for gas prices, and of course everything that gets shipped is impacted by the price of transportation.
Speaker 1: Good evening. I know I've thrown a lot at you, but take your pick.
Speaker 5: Go right ahead, let's get into it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's dive right in.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think on the stock market, it's it's interesting because I think I've been talking to people who are supply chain experts, and a lot of them think, and talking to retailers and businesses that these terriffs aren't going to last, and that Trump's hand will be forced here once consumers really start feeling the pinch of higher prices resulting from this, and those higher prices are likely coming. So, you know, I think I think one thing once over lining here, there's been a lot of scary headlines out there, but a lot of big box retailers in particular have been stockpiling inventory for months. That's in part due to the pandemic, you know, just naturally they started stockpiling more inventory, but especially in preparation for the tariffs, they just have more stock on hand. So I think they can last a few months before we might see drastic price increases across the board here. But but price increases are happening. But at the same time, you know, I think in terms of the stock market reaction, there is definitely a hope that Trump's going to roll some of us back in the next few months, especially before the holiday season, because he doesn't want to be looking like a green should and having a war on Christmas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he made kind of an oddball comment yesterday where maybe kids don't need thirty dollars they have two dolls or something like that. It's just when he when he's off script, it can be it can send a little joke to the market. But he's he's kind of rolling back a little bit of the tariffs on audible meiles and on auto parts.
Speaker 1: We talked about that yesterday, So he is, he would say he's fine tuning his critics. We say he's backpath.
Speaker 3: Either way, it's going to make it a little better in the short term.
Speaker 1: At least that's from my perspective. Am I right or wrong on that in your opinion?
Speaker 6: No, I think that's definitely right. I mean, I think he is setting out with the objective of making deals with other countries and eventually, you know, lowering the temperature here. His officials have said the current tariffs on China one hundred forty five percent are not sustainable, so they recognize that they want to, you know, negotiate with China. I think at the moment, China's being a bit cagy about coming to the negotiating table and exactly what they want to see. But I think it's moving in the right direction there. But you know, how quickly can these deals get get done before Americans are really feeling the impact of this on prices, because there have been a lot of executives that are warning, you know, in a few months weeks, we're going to start seeing empty shelves and have no choice but to increase prices. And remember, you know, it's not just big businesses here, but small to medium sized businesses or places that are launching new products can't necessarily afford to absorb the extra cost associated with this and keeping more inventory on hand, So I think that's a little discouraging. I also did want to come back to your comment about gas prices, because you know, I think it is a bit of a double edged sword. Yes, we all like to pay less when we're at the pump, but I think generally speaking, when there are tough financial times ahead, gas prices have come down because it's sort of a marker of economic activity, So people are buying less gas. Oil prices are coming down because there's just less economic activity happening, and we are starting to see that now in terms of the ships arriving from China, the cargo ships. The volume is starting to go down in the next few weeks. So that's not entirely encouraging sign, even though I know we do like to see.
Speaker 3: For those of us recently who saw gas prices even here in New England very close and sometimes over four dollars a gallon, I can find prices now easily two seventy a gallon. And I'm always looking at oil prices because I've in my lifetime, in my recent lifetime, oil has been as high as one hundred and fifty dollars a barrow. There's an impact on what's going on in the Middle East. There's an impact as to what's going on with these conversations with Iran. There's an impact that's going on as to if the hoodie stop firing, and ships that are that are moving through or through the Middle East.
Speaker 1: There's all sorts of factors here, and I don't know.
Speaker 3: I guess when the experts are telling me that and are telling you that, oh, a few months from now, we're really going to feel it.
Speaker 1: The problem with with some of.
Speaker 3: Those experts, and I'm gonna I'm gonna ask you a tough question here, is that what they believe or that's what they hope. In other words, I didn't hear a lot of the drastic predictions when Joe Biden was president. And I think a lot of people feel that there's some in our media that are rooting against Trump. I'm not a Trump guy, but I want Trump to succeed. I wasn't necessarily a Biden guy, but I want Biden to succeed. And you just hope that the predictions that are coming forward from the experts are not influenced by their own political taste.
Speaker 6: Look, I mean, yeah, I know, I totally understand, and I mean, you know, uh, I have a four O one K as much as anyone else, So I am certainly hoping for the best of the US economy here. I think, yeah, yeah, there's just been some sort of worrying signs in the markets recently that sort of suggest that these tariffs are not going to be good for the US long term. So you know, I don't want to get too wonky on you, but like in terms of the bond markets, uh, treasuries spiking, that's and the weakening US dollar, that's how it sort of says a lot about international business confidence in where the US economy is heading. And I don't think that's good for anyone, especially given how many Americans have their four one ks tied up in many major American companies.
Speaker 3: So I think that I was going to Nicole that if there's one talk show host likes to get wonky, I like to get wonky on this stuff because I've studied it a long time. Let me ask you this. When the market plunged on that first week in April and the market was down substantially, I mean five six, seven, percent. I was thinking at the time this thing might not recover till July for it to have recovered this quickly, and that was influenced by what a lot of the analysts were saying. Did you how surprised to you that the market has come back and rebounded as well as it has in this period of just thirty days. It stuns me, to be really honest with you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I definitely find it surprising. I do think that we've been getting signals from the administration that Trump is still responsive to the stock market, because I think that was at that point a big question was you know, he always was talking about the stock market during the first term and really was touting as an accomplishment of his And I think there was a question when the terrorists were first released. You know, is he still responsive to this market forces? And you know, there are a lot of people on Wall Street that were betting on a Trump put But it does seem that he still cares about that, and you know, I think the question is how is he going to negotiate these deals but also, you know, maintain confidence in the US as a place to do business going forward, because I think that's something that is not totally resolved here in the long term, because he's sort of demonstrated with the tariffs that you know laterally he can massively reshape the economic environment in the US and and that's a hard place to be doing business in if you can't go forward with confidence in the future. So I think that's something that I'm watching is like to what extent businesses are feeling like they can invest here long term And I'm not thinking enough.
Speaker 1: I'm going to look forward to having you back.
Speaker 3: We're getting close to our time here, so I'm going to look forward to have it back sometime maybe in August or September, and see how empty or full of those shelves are. I mean, that's I just I'm going to hold people to what and these aren't your predictions. These are the predictions of the so called experts. We'll see, We'll see how how they work out on this. It was interesting to see that real mineral deal apparently now with Ukraine thankfully seems to be in place for a whole bunch of reasons. Nicole appreciate it very much. Thank you so much for joining US, Nicole, Norea. You the last three letters of your your name are the last three letters of my name, it's minus, simply ri A. Yours is Na Ri, a senior political reporter for Vox. Thanks Nicole, I appreciate.
Speaker 1: It very much.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me on. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Talk to you soon. Here comes the nine o'clock News. Right after the nine o'clock News, we're going to talk about the Bill Belichick, Jordan Hudson's story, and I think we're going to have some interesting takes