Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to k if I am six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I just got the phone with my daughter the issue, so I have the ability to question down down No. No. My question is did you take the football quiz in the Washington Post?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, we'll have to do that later. We'll have to do that later. Okay, it's just if you were the head coach, what we you do kind of kind of questions. Okay, they're they're fun. I mean they're good, and they're they were real. The thing is they were actually happened in real games, so you may remember how they how they went down. What do you mean a Staaten.
Speaker 4: I get off the phone with my doctor this morning.
Speaker 1: I had my my I get my blood work done because I have no thyroid glands. So got to make sure that's working well, because we know what happens when it doesn't.
Speaker 4: Am I right A twenty nineteen anyway, Uh, dark times are some dark knights. So he says, today you're cholesterols high.
Speaker 1: I'm going to put you on a Statton, a Stetton like my grandfather's on statins and he's been dead for twelve years, right, what are we talking about here? And I said, isn't there something dietarily I can do, like a dietary situation, you know, cut out.
Speaker 4: X, Y or z H. He's like, yeah, that's not going to do anything.
Speaker 1: He's like, for me, I was vegetarian and it brought it down a little.
Speaker 4: But no, I don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't feel like I should be at the statin time of my life.
Speaker 2: Should I be there? I don't.
Speaker 4: Why cholesterol? What does that mean?
Speaker 2: A heart attack? Stroke?
Speaker 4: I'm fine.
Speaker 2: I don't believe. I don't believe that you should be. I am not a doctor. I do think that there are plenty of lifestyle things that could change, right, Like I.
Speaker 1: The bacon every morning. He doesn't know that, right, but he didn't ask.
Speaker 2: But also the definition of what what is the bad cholesterol? Good cholesterol? What does it do in your body? Why do people say that you don't you shouldn't have it? What does this hand stand the good and the bad? But I was just gonna pull up.
Speaker 1: My my little levels here and then shoot them to your wife and see what she has to say. My real doctor also not a doctor, right to be clear. But that was appreciate my doctors not being doctor.
Speaker 2: That was gonna be a question because I told you last week, I think I was doing an arm workout and I did something to my shoulder. Right, there's something in there that has been bothering me. So for a couple of days I was on as much advil as I could pour down my gullet, and it felt better. And then last night I thought, you know, I need to see how this goes without painkillers. So I went off the advil and I'm not This is not hydrocodone or roxy or anything like that. It's just enough to take the pain away. And this morning it hurts again, not as bad as it did, but it hurts again, and I'm thinking, I'm fifty two two When when when is that realization where you're like, I'm not four, I'm not third, I'm not twenty five.
Speaker 1: They they happen, These reminders of that happened periodically. One of them is you've been prescribed to statin. Another is you've got sciatica in your shoulder.
Speaker 2: Well that's thankfully not as high as my ssiatic nerve goes. It's way down here, but it is that thing where it's like, all I did was I did one thing and now I have to suffer for a week.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's the whole you know.
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, your.
Speaker 4: Your liver numbers.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: Well what I'm like, Well, I gave up drinking, you know. And he's like, oh, I'm like, so now I get I have to quit smoking cigarettes, which I did, quit drinking, quit bacon, quit meat. For this whole cholesterol thing, a lot of Wow, what am I supposed to do with my life? To sit here and drink water and wheat bread? Like what what is that?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 4: Is that? Is that our new life moving forward?
Speaker 2: That maybe our new life? But you didn't cry today, and I want to credit you for not crying.
Speaker 4: What would I be crying?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a realization that you're not twenty five anymore. Yeah, that's a I mean, that's a that's a that's a lot, that could be a lot. Yeah. For a lot of people, that's a big, big deal. And they're you start going into this hole like, well, I'm not quite what I was and I don't know what I'm going to be next, and I'm in the middle zone of who am I?
Speaker 1: I do not want to be twenty five. Again, Let's be clear about that. Twenties were awful. I'm happy where I'm at in life. I really am, except for the stat thing, except for the body breaking down and I can't do anything fun anymore.
Speaker 2: Thing.
Speaker 1: But aside from that, I mean, twenty five is rough. Twenty five is a rough road to hoe.
Speaker 2: I loved it, you did, I loved it.
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 1: Everything was up in the air. What am I gonna do? Where all the things? It was too many unknowns.
Speaker 2: I'm newly married. My wife was making three times as much money as I was. I was a kept man, That's what I was. We could move anywhere we wanted to for any reason.
Speaker 4: How come you decided to work for so much less.
Speaker 2: Because I worked in radio? What do you mean? How come?
Speaker 4: I I know?
Speaker 1: But why don't you just be the stay at home dad and have her bring home the bacon. I had to have a hobby until it was until it was too dangerous for you.
Speaker 2: Right until the doctor prescribed as staten. Well, there's a couple of things we're gonna do today. We'll do what you watch on Wednesday late in the show. So if you are watching the show or you want to convince us to watch your favorite show. You can leave us a talkback message on the iHeart app. Just hit that microphone and leave us a message. The other thing is, what was the one thing that happened when you realized you were getting old?
Speaker 4: Is that really what we're doing now? Was that plan?
Speaker 2: Was that a statin description? So what do you call it? Prescriptions? Subscription? Was it when you twisted your ankle getting out of bed? Was it your.
Speaker 1: Sciatic in my shoulder? Whatever it was, that's good, that's fun we're doing and getting old. We just did a segment on ailments, and now we're going to take it through the entire show.
Speaker 2: Sure, I love that for us.
Speaker 5: I can't wait to hear what my wife says to you. Oh yeah, what time is plot? He's over nine thirty something like that should be out in a few minutes. Did you send her a text? No, I'm not going to bother her while she's on the reformer. I'm not going to get it until she's done. I can go and send her a text in the break, so she'll get to you right away, so we be.
Speaker 4: First in the queue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a lot of questions. The president once again says something that everybody thinks is a giant plan. It's not a plan, it's a negotiating tactic. We'll talk about his Gaza takeover. We'll talk more about that Hollywood producer found guilty in the drug overdose deaths of those couple of women, that egg price of eggs, and why waste time say a lot words when few words do trick? I wrote here thank you his ideas from the office.
Speaker 1: But that's very Mervyn block of you. I'm just saying, we shorter, sharper, harder. What is it shorter?
Speaker 2: Dummy? I think is one of them. We have stopped using as many words as we used to over the course of the.
Speaker 1: Last we have well, like I said, we text in hieroglyphic. We're back to the caveman. We text in pictures instead of using our words.
Speaker 2: Full circle.
Speaker 1: I love words, like I said, I love the flowery language. I love the idea of writing notes or letters to people. I love that a.
Speaker 2: Friend of mine started a calling on substack and it's it's incredible to see that someone loves the loves writing. Yeah, I enjoy that. I like reading what he writes because he just enjoys what he does, right.
Speaker 1: I used to love writing just for the writing's sake, and now I miss it.
Speaker 4: It's like, well, what's stopping you?
Speaker 1: I wrote to your wife, I texted her I need medical advice, stat and then I wrote, I mean it's about a statin little fewer words use now makes sense.
Speaker 6: The US will take over the Gaza Strip and we will do a job with it too. We'll own it and be responsible for dismantling all of the dangerous unexploded bombs and other weapons on the site. Level the site and get rid of the destroyed buildings, level it out, create an economic development that will supply unlimited numbers of jobs and housing for the people of the area.
Speaker 1: He said, Palestinians have no alternative but to leave Gaza and find somewhere else to live. He met with Netanyahu in the Oval Office yesterday, saying the US is prepared to take over this territory, did not rule out the possibility of sending in troops to accomplish this vision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because some of these people don't want to leave at all. Benjamin at Yah, who gave him credit for thinking outside the box.
Speaker 7: You see things others refuse to see. You say things others refuse to say. And on after the jaws drop, people scratch their heads and they say, you know he's right.
Speaker 1: Hamas called the remarks ridiculous, says that they run the risk of igniting the area. Negotiations are set to resume between Israel and Hamas to extend a ceasefire.
Speaker 2: We'll see what this does to that. I don't even understand how he thinks the United States somehow just takes control of an area like that.
Speaker 4: No, and I think Netanyahu is being cheeky.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 1: I love that he's thinking outside the box. Is a crazy ass guy. Well thinks he's going to have a say on what goes on in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: To give an idea perhaps of what it seems he's thinking about. He's discussing this as. This is the Mediterranean, This has the potential to be a beautiful vacation spot.
Speaker 6: We have an opportunity to do something that could be phenomenal. And I don't want to be cute, I don't want to be a wise guy. But the riviera of the Middle East, this could be something that could be so bad. This could be so magnificent.
Speaker 4: Bring on the operol sprits in the yachts.
Speaker 2: Let's go with this. The AP writes it up and says it was not immediately clear whether the idea of taking over the Gaza Strip was a well thought out plan or an opening gambit in negotiations. Well, let me see, how does he work, what is his past, what kind of track record does he have. Of course, this isn't a well thought out plan. He says things like this, to move the needle and to put the onus on whoever the other party happens to be in this case. He's talking about these other Arab states in the region who would be asked to take in two million displaced Palestinians members of the Gaza Strip. Now a bunch of them have already said that they are not interested in doing that. Saudi Arabia, obviously, the Kingdom of has said we won't recognize Israel unless there is a two state solution to the conflict, which would mean they have to rebuild Gaza, and Gaza has to be a place for Palestinians as opposed to a place owned by the United States and controlled by the United States.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm ready to read all the Elon Musk books of him running a shadow government the richest man in the world, slowly taking over the country behind the scenes, behind the curtain.
Speaker 4: This is going to be some good reading eventually, isn't it.
Speaker 2: That's the whole Doge issue in Washington, d C. Is pretty is pretty hot right.
Speaker 3: Now, Hey, Shannon. I reduce my cholesterol by twenty five percent from over to fifty two below two hundred by aggressively cutting out saturated fats.
Speaker 2: Is that bacon?
Speaker 3: That means no dairy, no, no cheese, oils and oil, staying away from those fatty products period.
Speaker 2: I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to stay away from meat and cheese. Are you serious?
Speaker 6: Hey? Gay?
Speaker 8: I'm also fifty two, and I've found that once I turned fifty the warranty expired, everything takes longer to feel better or to get well, the little aches and pains having tonsified, and I can't see, I can't hear, I lose my balance, let's see.
Speaker 2: So it's coming, man, it's coming. It's just being fifty. Yeah, welcome, I do. I do say this. So after I went to baseball camp for a week, I was I was pretty sore, I was pretty slow, and I felt great because I took everything very careful. The days after that, any exercise I did was pretty low intensity, just to get back and onto the horse. I realized that if I sit around and don't do anything and I don't I don't strain the muscles or whatever, I don't run and I feel okay, that's almost the that's the bad part. If I feel like, gosh, there's nothing that hurts on me right now because you're not using it right, that's the thing. Now, I know, if I feel sore or something, at least I did something right. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Elon, are we done with our ailments? Mary and Joseph? Where's the Bengo? Where's the bingo today? Is it in the memory care wing?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe we'll have to get wheeled in there, see how it goes.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jacob, could you hey, you need to transport bedsword treatment in one hour.
Speaker 2: Don't forget wound care comes this afternoon. This is not funny, I know. Anti immigration policy protests over the last few days here in LA and now a movement to oppose some of the early action is of the Trump administration are planned for around the country. Fifty protests fifty states. The movement was organized under the hashtags. Are we still doing hashtags? I thought we didn't need to use hashtags.
Speaker 4: I thought that that was kind of pass.
Speaker 2: Hashtag build the Resistance and hashtag fifty fifty one five OHO five oh one, which stands for the fifty protests fifty states when many of them are planned at state capitals. The flyers that have been circulating online say they're targeting Project twenty twenty five, which again I also thought that anyway. California US Attorney Rob BoNT Attorney General Rob Bonta says he's not going to run for governor. He said if Kamala Harris runs, he would support former Vice president. She has not said she wants to get into this, but you have a bunch of other people who have already said. Antonio Viragosa is one of them. The current the current not vice governor, lieutenant governor. Why I think vice governor Lieutenant governor Landy Kunalakas has said that she would be running. Tony Thurman a couple other people as well so well.
Speaker 1: In a little more than two weeks since Trump took office, Elon Musk, the world's richest man, has created an alternative power structure inside the federal government. His purpose is to cut spending and push out employees. None of this is happening with congressional approval, which invites a constitutional question over limits of presidential authority. It seems like Musk is doing Trump's bidding. Been named as a special government employee, which means less stringent rules when it comes to ethics financial disclosures than other workers. Trump has given Musk office space in the White House. He oversees the team of people at the DOZE the government, Department of Government Government, the Department of Government Efficiency. This team has been dispersed throughout federal agencies to gather information, deliver edicts. This whole what is it USAID situation that's going to look like a tea party compared to the uprising that happens when they start digging in their teeth into other departments.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And one of the issues that has come up that I've heard the question asked, why are these agencies so up in arms about somebody coming in and checking out what's going on with the books. Why are they so afraid of publication of where the money is going. It's the government, It should be available to us on a regular basis.
Speaker 4: I understand.
Speaker 1: I don't understand because I'm not in your shoes, but I can begin to understand. I think the hell that this is causing federal employees who don't know the fate of their job status. Sure that have no role in creating the bloated government that has been created throughout the decades, that have no role in saying that they're charging too much for every pencil and every chair.
Speaker 2: There are the job who just actually work for the.
Speaker 1: Federal government, whether it be remotely or in DC or locally or whatever, who do their jobs every day, and now we're on the chopping block because of how badly managed it is at the top. And I feel for people like that sucks. That would suck if I came in every day and if I just did a really good job at my job, but the people above me had just been fat cows and just been completely screwing it all up and mucking it up and having these inflated unnecessarily so budgets. I get it, but be frustrated at the system at all of it, you know. But I guess it's an easy thing for me to say when my job that I know of is not on the chopping block right now.
Speaker 4: But that I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I understand it really sucks for hundreds of thousands of people who don't know if they're just going to be slashed because of how mismanaged it is at the top.
Speaker 2: Well, it doesn't make sense to me to demonize Elon Musk because he's the rich guy. Like that's the one thing that keeps being said. When everybody talks about Elon Musk, they say, well, he's the richest guy in the world. There's a reason why he's a rich man. There's a real there's there's got to be something about the fact that he's able to make billions of dollars with the ideas that he has.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if people who are worried about their jobs give a crap about Elon Musk at this point, because that is so far from being able to provide for your family.
Speaker 2: Democrats took to the steps of the Capitol yesterday to yell into an overmodulate microphone, we're.
Speaker 6: Here today because an unelected billionaire and his team had been given full and unfettered access to our taxpayer money and our government.
Speaker 2: We know that we work for the American people, and what we not don't do is stand around when I pulled this book, we.
Speaker 6: Have got to tell Elon must nobody elected your Uh here's.
Speaker 2: The fun I maxing waters for that last one.
Speaker 1: Here's an idea that maybe something Elon Musk could take into consideration. Why not deputize the very people that work in these agencies to cut.
Speaker 4: Out the fat instead of your job being on the chopping from the outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not have like a listening tour where you go in and people that are the line workers can say, yeah, we're doing our jobs. We are essential because of X, Y and z. It's like when the bobs come in an office space, what is.
Speaker 2: It you do here?
Speaker 1: You explain what you do here, and then it's it's the people inside that can tell you what fat needs to be cut.
Speaker 4: You know, I can.
Speaker 1: Understand the frustration of whoever it is, a pauper, homeless or the billionaire Elon Musk coming in and trying to tell you how your operation is run and what should be cut and not or not. It's frustrated no matter who it is. But it's the people inside that really should be asked, where can we cut?
Speaker 2: Because that's who those are, the people who know Apparently this morning, Democrats put forward on the Oversight Committee in the House a plan to call Elon Musk before the committee to help answer some of the questions that we've been asking. James Comer is the Republican chair of the Oversight Committee.
Speaker 9: Democrats are hyperventilating and sensationalizing it. Over the past few days, we've heard wild claims from Democrats that we are quote at the beginning of a dictatorship end quote, and we are in a constitutional crisis. This kind of theatrical rhetoric is exactly what the American people rejected in November. Americans know that Washington needs reform, and Doe just taking invotory you bring about change in Stewart taxpayer dollars and trusted to the federal government.
Speaker 2: Wired magazine has come out and identified six young men who have little to no government experience that are now playing a pretty important role in the DOGE project. They have been tasked by Executive order with modernizing federal technology and software to maximize government efficiency and productivity. There's questions about do they have access to do they have read only access to these highly sensitive programs, whether it's the Treasury departments pay out a program, if it's issues about personal tax information about all of the America, everybody who pays taxes in the United States. There's questions about whether or not they have actual access to that kind of information or if they're just looking at the system. These young men, all between the ages of nineteen and twenty four, are arguably six of the smartest young men that we have programming computers in this country, maybe the world. Now, those are exactly the kind of people that I would love to be able to go through and fix some of the basic problems that exist in government computer systems, which we know all of them, all of them are outdated. Just to use last weekend, sorry last week as an example, the air traffic control system in this country is probably forty years old at best. I mean, you've seen some of the graphics that are used to determine flight radar positioning on some of the they all look like they're an old Atari twenty six hundred game, if even that. So, if that exists in one of the world's most important industries in air travel, you know it exists in all of these other government agencies. So these guys getting their fingers in there, as long as they're not tampering with private information or programs that could potentially hamstring the way we spend money.
Speaker 1: I'm okay with I'm just gonna throw this out there too. Maybe they should be making some babies. Let's get these people to donate their sperm.
Speaker 4: Am I right?
Speaker 2: You're going to harvest the sperm of smart computer programmers. Yeah, okay, I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to act like China. That's how you get ahead. Okay, beat them at their own.
Speaker 2: Game by collecting smart people, smart smart people.
Speaker 1: Would you rather have them donate their sperm or would you rather have right? Okay, don't make me play the choose your sperm game, because I'll do it.
Speaker 2: Guys. The thing that made me think about becoming old was when my doctor ride Yah Meta musical, Oh thanks.
Speaker 1: My parents took meta musal in their like thirties. I want to say, like it was a very big thing in the eighties, wasn't it Meta musals it? I don't want to go. I'd like to pull the plug on this idea you had about it. When did you know you were old? That's going to be depressing all day, and I don't want it on.
Speaker 7: Gary Shannon's the Course, like King Curly.
Speaker 4: He sounds sad.
Speaker 6: Two examples of the whole.
Speaker 2: Thing, but he's usually full of joy. One.
Speaker 7: I threw my back at once when I cut the cheese.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that really get I'll get you, and too.
Speaker 7: I fell asleep in the middle of the sexy time with the old lady when I was married once.
Speaker 2: That's bad.
Speaker 4: That's bad.
Speaker 9: I'm old.
Speaker 7: Who cares?
Speaker 1: That's really bad. That happened to one of my friends in college. That happened with my girlfriends in college. The dude fell.
Speaker 2: Asleep cause issues.
Speaker 1: Now I remember because I had so many follow up questions about that.
Speaker 4: But we don't need to get into it. Obviously, that's weird. But uh is going to be no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: But I really don't want to hear anymore about that's freaking depressed.
Speaker 4: I don't want to hear cors like king send that down ever again.
Speaker 1: Ever, he threw out his back, that must have been one hell of a fart. Like, I need to know what went into his stomach before that? What does it That's more of a fun question for the day.
Speaker 4: What kind of food.
Speaker 1: Would make you throw out your back if you expelled it in a gaseous form.
Speaker 2: Cracking ass in front of people, and all of a sudden, you're own.
Speaker 4: I've seen you put down some meals that I think could do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't stick around for you to find the act don't. And I appreciate that. President Trump has proposed the United States take a long term ownership position over the Gaza Strip, moving its residence to a good, fresh, beautiful piece of land in some other country, and then developing Gaza into under US control. Gazen residents generally have said they want to stay on their land. Trump didn't specify where the new land for the Gosins might be found, although he made his comments after he repeated it to his desire for Egypt and Jordan, among others, to take in some of Gaza's residence. The CIA has offered buyouts its entire workforce, WHO officials have said this is a bid to bring the agency in line with Trump's priorities, which include targeting drug cartels. The CIA appeared to be the first intelligence agency to tell its employees they could quit their jobs and get about eight months of pay and benefits as part of the president's push to downsize the government. And mornings are the happiest time of day, I agree, scientists have found that people are more happy, more satisfied, and less downbeat in the very first few minutes of their day compared to the rest of it.
Speaker 1: I agree, but I think part of that is like the blood sugar dropage in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: I think it's just that you have to deal with other people for a while.
Speaker 1: There's that, and also coffee in the morning, little shot of meth there get you going.
Speaker 2: The findings showed that irrespective of the day, like the day of the week, a person wakes up in a good mood that can fluctuate throughout the day before it reaches its lowest levels at about midnight. If you stay out that late, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, then you start worrying that you're not sleep and then you worry about what the next day is going to be like because you don't have enough sleep.
Speaker 2: They did say that people are happier on weekend mornings than when they get up in the weekdays.
Speaker 1: Got nothing to do, you can just sit there and waste away the day.
Speaker 2: But here's the deal. They say, the highs are higher, the lows are also lower on the weekends because you tend to feel worse on a weekend night than you do on a weekday night. This is kind of strange.
Speaker 1: You're just an angel of death today here. What makes you feel old? You get lower on the weekends. Put a little joy into this day.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's about the statins. I think there's something else going on.
Speaker 1: Well, it also is seasonal defective, defective disorder.
Speaker 2: He's a little effective story.
Speaker 4: It's been cloudy for an hour and a half. What am I supposed to do?
Speaker 2: A quick good story born out of tragedy? Okay, I know, of course the plane crash in Washington, d C. There was also a plane crash on Friday in Philly, that medical transport jet that went down into a neighborhood and injured so many people. A ten year old boy was injured. He was with his dad and two siblings in the car when the plane crashed in front of them. Dad described what looked like bullets and sounded like gunfire as the shrapnel from the jet came into their car.
Speaker 7: It sounded like a missile, was fire and bullets medal at my car, everyone else's car.
Speaker 2: Andre immediately backed up his car while his son Trey, covered his little sister, protecting her. I turned around. He has metal outside of his ear. A police officer rushed them to the hospital where he had emergency brain surgery. There was a point where they were telling Trey's parents he might not survive. Not only has he survived, he's awake and he's talking.
Speaker 1: And he wanted to make sure. He said, Daddy, did I save my sister? His first real words, Trey's first reil words, were about the Super Bowl. He said, Daddy, what's today? I was like Monday? Okay, we didn't play yesterday, did we? Meaning the Eagles get this kid, Saquon Barkley and get him Saquon Now.
Speaker 2: Good for them. That's a good strength, That's a sweet good for that kid. All Right, we'll talk about what's going on with our rain. Also a little arsonist caught in the act. What's going on with people these days? Wow?
Speaker 1: First hours already gone. Dementia is great, man, that's how you remember the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.