Speaker 1: That war. Another great story based on petec Alcollins copyrighted book the FBI in Peace and War Drama thrills actions, but purse on grab roof friends. In a cigarette, it's the taste that makes the difference, and Lucky's taste better, cleaner, fresher, smoother. Here's why. First of all, better taste in a cigarette begins with fine tobacco, and Lucky Strike means fine tobacco, fine light, naturally mild tobacco. Second, Luckys are made better. Every Lucky is bround and firm and fully packed, without those annoying loose ends that get in your mouth and spoil the taste. Yes, every Lucky is packed just right to draw freely and evenly. So for a smoke that tastes better, cleaner, fresher, smoother, Be happy, Go lucky, make your neck garden. Lucky Strike a light story on the the Eye and piece of War the Fence.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, sir.
Speaker 1: Good afternoon. I'd like to see something in ladies wristwatches.
Speaker 2: Please, yes, sir, about what price range? We have some very fine watches in solid gold or effuse a fair place.
Speaker 1: I prefer diamonds. Let's see that tray down there, huh. That one, yes, sir, and that one over there.
Speaker 3: This one, now, if it's a diamond one, so may I recommend this very fine Swiss.
Speaker 1: All right, keep the trays coming, and don't reach for any alarm. Dump all the watches in this bag, and when you get through, open that safe. Mister fel like I tell you you won't get hurt. Make one wrong move and I'll blow your pretty face off, all right, now, get going, yeah. In the late summer of last year, several Eastern cities were plagued with a series of hold ups. According to a description by the victims, each of the robberies was pulled by the same individual. When this was made evident, the Bureau was asked into the case. They were looking for a tall, well mannered man in his early forties, and we were aware that the search for him wouldn't be easy. Not a single article of stolen property had appeared since the original robbery, and it was natural to assume that our man had either held on to his halls or had found an elusive means to dispose of him. It was with this in mind that Aden Daily Live.
Speaker 2: Containers Sociates.
Speaker 3: Good morning, oh Freddie, Yeah, test a minute, I'll let you talk to you. What now I'm said, I'm busy to night wise. Gosh all wait hold of this second.
Speaker 1: Yes, i'd like to see mister kintainer.
Speaker 2: Some of just came in pretty. I'll connect you now read no act, mister Katanna. Who do you want to see?
Speaker 1: Containers? Tony Container?
Speaker 2: Who recommended you?
Speaker 1: Who wants to know?
Speaker 2: Okay only I can't.
Speaker 1: Live in I have some business for mister Container. If he doesn't want it, I can always go someplace else.
Speaker 2: What kind of business?
Speaker 1: Who wants to know?
Speaker 2: What's your name?
Speaker 1: Raymond Spence? So you can call me Ray?
Speaker 2: Did Mary Lenna sends you?
Speaker 1: You send me sweet hight.
Speaker 2: You'll talk to mister Container. Uh huh okay, wait here, I'll find out if he'll talk to you.
Speaker 1: All right, Freddy, you'll go up. Have you got inventy probably you'll let me know. Fine, hold on still Fridday.
Speaker 2: Somebody to see you, Tony. Name is Spence, Raymond Spencence.
Speaker 1: What's he's not?
Speaker 2: Talk?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: One of doog Yeah, smooth character playing at safe. He says he's got business for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll see him.
Speaker 2: I think he's your mind she uh huh. Then at the night here, Tony, anything you say, send the giant. Yeah, yes, come in missus Spence. Mister Pittanga will see you.
Speaker 1: Now, hold on my call for the next few minutes. Miss Blair, yes, mister sit down, mister Spence, Raymond Spence, sit down very much blass now. Then Murray Lenna sent me, Oh, Lenna, why you don't tell my secretary? Do you tell everybody your business? What can I do for you, mister Spence? I don't know yet. That's why I came here to find out. What did Murray Lennard tell you? He said you were the best fence in the business. He said you could take good care of me. I could. What's your line when you read the papers said depends that jewelry store, Robbery and West Roadway. Yesterday you read about that that was you? The watch stick up last week? Did you read about that very new job over eight thousand words that paper said that was for YouTube? That was me? You work along? Uh huh much better idea. I like it. But Murray said it's different on the other end. He said, right, getting rid of the stuff, that's another story. Working through me. It narrows the risks, So you got to offer you don't waste time. Nope, okay, I give it to you without the trimmings. When you come in with Kataina, you come in for good. I keep twenty percent of every job you're doing return for my services. What services I get rid of the stuff or collected cash for you? You get a regular drawing account. If you're get in trouble, I go bond for you and my lawyers take the case. What about the cash you collect for me? It's always yours when you wanted, minus of course, twenty percent. Okay, Katina, time in good. I'll bring around the stuff I've got later today. No, no, no, you don't bring anything here. You just tell me it's Blair your address. I'll send a collector to you, a collector. You really have things organized, haven't you. That's right in My friend with Katana associates. So we try not to leave anything on the fence. All right, now, all of you ladies up against that wall there are you, blondie. Put all that stuff in this bag and make it fast, and remember the first one who doesn't nice gets a taste of this forty five start moving. Raymond Spence Statement of account cash on a hand nineteen thousand, eight hundred dollars weekly withdrawals since September one, two thousand and four hundreds.
Speaker 2: Whood can we finished this in the morning, Tony?
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess that's enough. Let's take a break cigarette. Oh of course. Mister Raymond Spencer one think it's enough. He likes to know exactly where his name like. Hm.
Speaker 2: Quite a guy, isn't he Spence?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it depends how you look at it. The way I got it here. He's a pulled three starstic ups in the last couple of months, so one fair old job.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Uh huh. He's quite a guy an account of he has say yana for you.
Speaker 2: That isn't what I mean.
Speaker 1: You had a drink with him last night, and last week you had been at twice.
Speaker 2: I'm only being nice. He's a quiet, isn't it.
Speaker 1: The game is business only. Don't let it go to your heady, You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: Besides, I got another dare. Mister Raymond Spencer won't be with us very long, don't you, Tony. Well look at it, realistic Shielder. He's got almost twenty thousand cashier with me. He's like you say, quite a guy at the rad He's gone. He'll left close to one hundred thousand by the first of the year. Wait so much a guy bid be? When he gets that hundred, he's gonna want out. I know his kind. Remember Bert Nixon, he was.
Speaker 2: Like that, Tony. You wouldn't turn.
Speaker 1: Ray over to the top, wouldn't. I you get twenty years at least that leaves me with one hundred thousand. I turned in Bret Nixon, didn't I. I turned in Nick Marco. I'll done the same with his Spence. Come on, let's go get a drink.
Speaker 2: I'm not tasty, Tony.
Speaker 1: You know okay, so yourself I'm gonna swallow. Want to get back here?
Speaker 2: You're coming back?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm putting it a little over time. Spencer's doing his first job on a bank. He asked me to fix him up with to get away car to.
Speaker 2: Doubt turning name Towny.
Speaker 1: I don't worry, babe, I won't not while he's going strong. You've got him my word. I won't stutch one hair on his handsome head. Soil. He's got a one hundred thousand cash with Tony warning Benson, he cheez are you. I'm all right. Thanks the gentlemen from the FBI. Benson settled your up. Investigation chef. This is Joe Benson, best auto mechanic around these parts. I have nam It's bencer name here, mister, my name is Shepherd. This is Asian Bailey. They want to take a look at that wrecked Tell station wagon you brought in last night. I sure think gentlemen have it right over here. I haven't started working it yet. I thought i'd wait till I hurt from you. That's good. We don't want you to touch anything inside the car, especially I figured it. Well, there it is that bangs up too bad? Just get it into the telephone pole. Oh real damage. Could dude tell anything from the wreck, mister Benson. How it happened? Not much. This looked like the driver was going too fast with the turn foot off the road into the ditch. Uh huh. Go on to have a looking sign. Uh not yet. We're expecting a couple of our technicians any minutes. We're gonna try for fingerprints, tread marks, anything that might give us a lead. I guess you and I wouldn't talk about this around Corn Benson, of course, not Chief but a lot of people are talking already. They say this car is the same one that was using that payroll stick up over in Mason City. Well it's possible, but let's keep it to ourselves anyway, Chef, you want the car jacked up while we're waiting. Yeah, it's a good idea. Jack it up. Uh huh from the plaster impressions of the tire treads. Oh, I'll do it right away. Fine. Say, isn't it rather unusual using a station wagon and a robbery? Yes, it is, But we're dealing with the rather unusual type of criminal, mister Benson, and from the evidence we've gathered so far, it's gonna take an unusual method to catch up with him. Fingerprint file last twenty s reference UL number four oh sixty five seven. Robert Spencer. Hey, it's Roy Spence. He and his race Spence last us Spence sp E n C. First name Raymond ray Spence. Put him down for another fourteen thousand, Tony.
Speaker 2: You're not really gonna tend him in, are you not?
Speaker 1: Yet? Shiela? Like I said before, Spence is safe unfore he hits the top money. The top money, Sheila, That's what I'm heading for Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'll have another drink.
Speaker 1: Ray, you and me book away the tumor it what's the matter with you tonight?
Speaker 4: Year?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's it's Tony. Oh no, he's worried because we've been seeing each other too much.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course he isn't, Tony and I yeah, right. If you did get all this money.
Speaker 1: You mean, I'm getting it and when I do, Ray, when I do, I'm going to take it from Tony, wrap it up in a pretty blue ribbon and ask a certain party if he wants to spend it with me as missus Raymond Spence, what how about it? Sheila?
Speaker 2: Missus ray Then why not?
Speaker 1: I've been thinking about it since the first day I walked in to containing the associates and saw you're sitting there.
Speaker 2: All right, cut it out?
Speaker 1: Will you will give me one good reason?
Speaker 2: You can't mean it?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Answer me? Stop it? Will you you feel the same way I do? I know you do.
Speaker 2: Don't be a fool, Ray, And it never works?
Speaker 1: Just one good way to find out you're crazy. Sure, let's both be right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just wouldn't work, that's all, Tony.
Speaker 1: Look at me. Come on, Look when two people have got it together. That's all that counts. Nothing else. Okay, stop, I'm not stopping until we have the ring on that thinger right there now. I'm not stopping until I got that sad money. I got big plans here, I got the biggest plans in the world. Now you hold onto my hand, honey, hold on real tight. When I get that money will really going places. Believe me. Back to the fence and just a moment, friends, Luckies are made better to taste better, to taste cleaner, fresher, smoother, and it's easy to prove this to yourself. Simply do this. Take a Lucky from a newly opened pack and carefully remove the paper by tearing down the seam from end to end. Be sure to start on the scene. In tearing, don't crush or dig into the tobacco. Now look at that perfect cylinder of fine mile tobacco. See how it holds together without those annoying loose ends that get in your mouth and spoil the taste. That's why Lucky's taste cleaner. Notice how free Luckies are from excessive air spaces, hot spots that burn too fast and give you a hot, harsh taste. That's why Luckys taste fresher. Then look at that fine, mild, good tasting tobacco, perfectly shredded and packed just right for smooth even smoking. That's why Lucky's taste smoother. Yes, friends, those are the important inside reasons that make every Lucky taste better, cleaner, fresher, smoother. So for your own real, deep down smoking enjoyment, be happy, go lucky, make your next cardon Lucky strike And now back to the FBI. In Peace and War and Tonight's story the Fence. I've got big plans, Chielder. I've got the biggest plans in the world. Now you hold onto my hands. Money. When I get that money, We're really going places. Believe me, going someplace, Spence h. I guess i'd better get started, Tony, I've seen a couple of days night, Chieler. Come on, Max, this thing is Spence n I'll walk you to the door. You'll have a new car for me, right, don't worry. I'm not. But how about you. I think these jobs are gonna nut with you handling it, Tony. I figure I'll be up to one hundred thousand mile that high. But I figured, okay, got's thought. I'm with you all the way. I know you're attorney. Come on, so on, Spence, I don't like that, guys so familiar. Pone me, pone me next. Yeah means a container. You'll stick with him from now till the time he finishes his warehouse job. Don't leave Hm out of your side. You understand, Yeah, sure, tell me shut up? His smile makes a soot smile. Don't let him know he's being watched. I told you over the last time.
Speaker 4: Shena, shut up. I'm through talking about it.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 4: Guys are ready to take a power as soon as he finishes this job.
Speaker 1: I know the signs. I'm not letting one hundred thousand dollars walk out of this office.
Speaker 4: You're going, Max, good thing.
Speaker 1: I keep in touch with you to never mind me.
Speaker 4: You'll stick with Spence like a glove.
Speaker 1: When he's finished with a job. You know what to do.
Speaker 2: I know, Tony.
Speaker 1: Now, don't you stop belly aching again.
Speaker 2: He's gonna get rid of than Tony.
Speaker 1: Suppose you'll mind your own business.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get rid of the mind you. You're not turning him over to the cot. You're gonna let next take him for a ride.
Speaker 1: That won't be the first time, Tony, don't.
Speaker 2: Don't do it.
Speaker 1: What is you're gonna somp for mister fanship fan?
Speaker 2: Now, No, I just don't want to killing next big mouth.
Speaker 4: You're opening your yep, I got killings.
Speaker 1: I close up a body on his fans does because this clim makes a couple of passions of you. You just forget about this guy. You understand that I'm gonna let money walk out of his.
Speaker 4: Office if it means getting rid of Race Spence. Okay, I'm getting rid of Race Spence.
Speaker 1: Wanted by the FBI. Raymond spent the day. This is age about forty two. I sixteep one wait, one hundred and seventy eyes, brown hair, brown fingerprint, classifications twenty s reference UL number four oh six five seven. Any information concerning this man can we report? So I'm all set for Friday nights and me and right after that. Huh.
Speaker 2: I don't want you to do this job. What don't ask me about it? Just do as I say? Sure, please, Ray, i'n a hunch. I'm funny about hunches.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? This job is in the pocket. Oh, I have to do it.
Speaker 2: Got a huncha cat. You don't do it right, keep your voice, stop, pray, don't do it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, look, honey, just because you've got some silly hunt, it isn't silly. Don't do it.
Speaker 2: Forget the whole thing. Maybe even leave town for a while.
Speaker 1: See to what is it? You're a tea leaf reader or something.
Speaker 2: I'm serious, Ray, Yeah, don't ask questions? Do like I tell you?
Speaker 1: Please? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Shil Nothing? I told you I got a hunt?
Speaker 1: You know something? What is it? I told that, Tony? Is he cooking up something? Right?
Speaker 2: I suppose I did like you say. Suppose I went away with you now picked up that ring.
Speaker 1: No, honest, he's figuring the whole back that money I've got with him.
Speaker 2: Ry you said, if two people had it for each other that you've.
Speaker 1: Got in mind, tell me nothing. The money he's going to hold back, right, she'll.
Speaker 2: He's gonna hold back.
Speaker 3: He was going to turn you over to the cop. Why he was only he decided to get rid of you instead. After Friday Night's job, Mexics got Audis to stick with you every minute.
Speaker 1: Nice boy, Tony.
Speaker 2: We could leave now, Ray, tonight, we could go someplace and get married I've got some money.
Speaker 1: Takes a nice boy one hundred thousand is lapping me on a slab in the morgue. Nice, Ray, too bad. It isn't going to come off. It's really ashamed.
Speaker 2: You mean it? Ray, you'll leave with me?
Speaker 1: Now? Who's talking about leading? Oh? I'm staying right here. And what's more, I'm going through with this job Friday night, No Ray, now, yes, yes, right, I'm going through with the job just as I plan. Only I'm coming up with a new wile senner. Wow, Finnish shela a special all for our piles. Tone. This is a federal Funeral's investigation. Hello, I'd like to speak to one of your agents. I have some important criminal information.
Speaker 2: I'll connect you with Agent Shephards.
Speaker 1: Okay, say sir, but I'm hanging up in exactly sixty seconds, so put him on fast.
Speaker 2: Container associates.
Speaker 1: This is Max. Let me speak to me Catana.
Speaker 2: MIT's a container.
Speaker 4: That's one.
Speaker 1: Hello Max. Where you call from and thought of a certain party won't be taken any powder, You won't. No, I'm going to find out what to do.
Speaker 4: With the good.
Speaker 1: Don't do nothing another thing. Wait till I get that. Whatever you say and Max. Yeah, good work. I knew I got time on you. You do your handbag, Shiller. You're driving me over to get rid of some goods. Okay, you're went here and keep them are running? Tell us for the final time of shut up. That's those lights mex mex it's me funny. Where's a light Mexan? We won't need any light, won't need any I can make you out fine in the dark. Spence. You know this is what I call real personal service. Gonna get to come around Tony. Here's and I thought, I know what you're doing. Stay with you are no fancy tricks. I wouldn't want this gun to go off Faxample, Spence. So what is this? Oh you haven't figured it out yet. I always thought you were a smart apple, Tony. I thought you'd figure it the minute you walked in that door. Spend where I'll blow your head off. And if you're trying to involve me in this hold up here, maybe you're a smart apple at third, That's exactly what I'm gonna do, Tony. You're gonna be the hold up all by yourself. What sure you've got a car outside? I'm handing you some fur crace that's nothing for me. I'm gonna put it this kind of thing. I know you're only good at the fancy double course, aren't you? The double cours like it did to Bert Nixon and Nick Marco, and like you're gonna do to me. Sheer fill the whole deal, cheerer, Are you a fixing to unload me after the job? Should light Spencer shell light? Do a tea? Uh huh? Help me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, make me out a half of David you and mix you got the same sun and dance next. Yeah, I took care of your watch dog Tony right after he made that phone call for me. No, uh huh. Right after that, I called the cop, the cop, the brights in the FBI. I figured the job over here in Jersey. You ought to be a federal rat. You get longer terms for that federal stuff. To what are you talking about? The FBI. They should be waiting for you outside right about now. I tipped them off to this job. They're going to catch you red handed. To you, you'll probably get ten years.
Speaker 4: Listen, if you'll think you're gonna force me, I wouldn't think of such a thing, too, big man like you.
Speaker 1: I'm giving you a choice. Ten years in the pens or a bullet right smack between your beady blue eyes. Fence the way. I'm telling you, for the last time, you got to listen to me.
Speaker 4: She'll give it a business on this.
Speaker 1: She wanted the door for herself. I'll o to the FBI. I gotta listen. Would I do a thing like that? A crazy thing like that?
Speaker 4: Look, tell you what I do.
Speaker 1: You've got almost a haunted thousand on hand with me. I'll give you a double that.
Speaker 4: You're a I'm telling you, I'll double it. I'll give it a catch the first thing in the morning.
Speaker 1: You'll be tight behind Buzz in the morning. I have to take this from him, of course, make one move and fine, n Spend. Give me a break, all right. There's a bunch of foys next year. Pick them up and get spend. You want to break, I'm giving you one. Maybe that's the eye, isn't we Maybe I'm only testing your nerve. No, take him up. No, for the last time, to expect it not get out. Spend it out, Tony, all right, go ahead, for the love of heaven, spend. There's a gun for you, Tony. You can shoot it out with the Federal Boys. If you like ten years chiller, yo, no what you think this indus a moment, Agent Shepherd will tell you what happened to the people and tonight's stories. Smokers, you can easily see for yourself the inside reasons why Luckys taste better, cleaner, fresher, smoother. Just take a Lucky from a newly opened pact and carefully remove the paper by tearing down the seam from end to end. Be sure to start on the scene in tearing. Don't crush or dig into the tobacco. Now examine that perfect cylinder of fine, mild tobacco. See how it holds together without those annoying loose ends that get in your mouth and spoil a taste. That's why Luckies taste cleaner. Notice how free your Lucky is from air spaces, hot spots that burn too fast, taste hot and harsh. Why Lucky's taste pressure? And look at that fine, good tasting tobacco, perfectly shredded and pat just right to draw freely and smoke evenly. That's why Lucky's tastes smoother. So for a cleaner pressure, smoother smoke, make your next cardon Lucky strike Anthony Cottana was killed in an attempt to shoot his way out of the trap. Raymond Spence fixed for him. Although Spence went free for several months, he was caught later when he tried with Sheila Blair to return for the cash Katina had held for him. FBI surveillance of Katana's home and office led to the arrest of several other notorious associates in Katana's criminal circle, thus permanently closing the fence. All names and characters used on the program are fixations. Any similarity to the person flitting or dead is purely coincidental. This program is based on Frederick L. Collins copyrighted book The FBI and Pison War, and is not an official program of the FBI. In Tonight's story, Harold Humer played the part of Tony Kataina to Rida Bauer, with Sheela Blair and Grant Richards was raised fence. The radio draminizations for the FBI and Pison War are written by Luri Pubbeteer and Jack Baink. These programs are produced and directed by Betty Mandebil. Be sure to listen to next Thursday story The super Salesman on the FBI in Peace and War, same time, same station. Here's an important announcement for every American. Our armed forces in Korea have issued an urgent call for more blood. Have you let them down? What happened to that point of blood you are going to give? Please give that point now at your Red Cross chapter or local blood donors center. Thank you. This is Andre Brouge saying good night for Lucky Stride, product of the American Tobacco Company, America's leading manufacturer of cigarettes. The FBI in Peace and War has been selected as one of the programs to be heard by our Armed Forces overseas through the facilities of the Armed Forces Radio Service. This is the CBS Radio Network.