Speaker 1: The following is an Encore presentation. This show is produced and hosted by Mark Webber. The show is sponsored by G three of Parow. The views expressed in the following program are those at the sponsor and not necessarily the opinion of seven tenor or iHeartMedia. Who is Mark Webber. He's a self made business executive here to help you find your success from the New York City projects to the Avenue Montaigne in Paris. His global success story in the luxury world of fashion is inspirational.
Speaker 2: He's gone from clerk to CEO twice.
Speaker 1: Mark is classic proof that the American dream is alive. And well, here's your host of Always in Fashion, Mark Weber.
Speaker 3: Mark Weber, I thought a great deal about what I wanted this show to be about. I must tell you, I honestly didn't have a point of view until I went to look at buying a new car. Speaking which Hi, Jesse, how are you glad you're.
Speaker 4: Here buying a new car? You didn't tell me this one?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, actually, not a car. I went into a store to buy a boat, no airplane. No. I went into a store, call it a store. I went to a car dealership to look for a new jeep. Now, it might be difficult for me to admit, but I have one of the original Hummers from two thousand and three and I keep it around just because when it snows out, I can trust that car. It's so high off the ground. The tires are bigger than you, Jesse.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too, They're huge. Anyway, I walked into a car dealership. I went into land Rover, and I have all these beautiful land Rovers. And I went over to one of the sales guys, and you know, let me be honest. The minute I walked in, he came over to me. What can I help you with him? Blah blah blah. And I said to him, I'm thinking about replacing my Hummer with one of your land Rovers. But I have a question for you. I'm really needed for the snow. Can I assume that a land will treat me as good as a Hummer has treated me in the snow? And he said to me, can I be honest with you? I hate that sentence in business more than any other sentence I can think of. Can I be honest with you? No lie to me, lie to me? What does that mean? And therein became the theme for tonight's show. Can I be honest with you when somebody says that you can't trust another word that comes out of their mouth. You know, in business there's nothing more important than respect, and respect goes both ways for you to your associates and from your associates to you.
Speaker 4: I believe that in business, in life, and correct me if I'm wrong or you think that you think differently. Doesn't respect go hand in hand with likability?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't care if I'm liked. I do care if i'm respected. But if you make me agree with that, okay, I'll agree. Why Hmmm?
Speaker 4: Well, I have an idea for a test or. I should say a game. I think our listeners really like a game. I found this article and it has the twelve phrases that will get you liked and hopefully respected in business, and I thought maybe we could cover some of them, and I'd give you each point and you get your view on whether they're important for likability. You know it's good. I like to get your perspective on it.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Well, let's talk respect for a second. If you wanted to do this, don't you think the respectable thing would have been to tell me in advance, maybe even giving me the slogans.
Speaker 4: No, I'm a co host and I'm allowed to come up with my own stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't have to agree to it. It'll be it'll be fun.
Speaker 2: It'll be fun, be fun.
Speaker 4: Are you up for this or not?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll play alone.
Speaker 4: This is the twelve simple phrases that will make you more likable in business? Yeah right, okay, number one or number twelve. Here's the situation.
Speaker 3: So you want me to come in it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: What do you think about that line? Here's the situation.
Speaker 3: I think it's uh, I don't know, a lame way of explaining to someone what's going on. I think you work with someone, they're entitled to know what you're doing. It's transparency. Here's the plan, this is what we're gonna do. This is what I need you to do. But okay, here's the situation.
Speaker 4: What about tell me more? Does that seem like you're interested in what they're saying?
Speaker 3: Are you answering the questions? Tell me more? Yeah? I guess it says that you're so fascinated by the answer of that person who's talking to you. Please, I want to hear more you're so genius.
Speaker 4: What do you think about the phrase? What do you think?
Speaker 3: Again? I suppose that's a respect thing. When you're saying to someone, I'm interested in what you think, what your opinion is. It's showing them a great deal respect.
Speaker 4: I think you're gonna like this one. What can I do to help?
Speaker 3: Are you sure we got to go through these? These are making more? What can I do to help? Again? I suppose the subject that you're trying to get people to like me. It's a lost cause. Remember I thought of being a recluse. But what can I do to help? Again? It's showing interest in the people. It's very touchy feely. I see where these are.
Speaker 4: Going speaking which please and thank you?
Speaker 3: You want me to comment on that one? You're welcome, okay, those three? Of course, that's a part of life. You have to be respectful, and you have to be have good manners. Okay, what else?
Speaker 4: I think this one's important? Let me find out for you.
Speaker 3: That's important from a leadership point of view. Someone comes to you with an issue or problem, something that needs to be solved. They don't have the answer for. But it's important that you're gonna go out and you're gonna get them an answer. I like that one.
Speaker 4: Speaking of nauseous, This next one gets me nauseous. I've got your back.
Speaker 3: If you believe it.
Speaker 4: Partners in wrestling, you know that's.
Speaker 3: A good one. You know, in reality, the only relationships that deal with getting someone's back a really selfish relationship. You can't have friends in business. The only thing that makes you a friend with someone else in business or with your boss is whether or not they think you can perform for them. And then if you can perform, of course they're going to look out for you. But don't slip because that promise goes away.
Speaker 4: What about I'd like you to meet.
Speaker 3: I Okay, I guess I suppose that means, in theory, I think enough of you that I want you to meet someone good one. I can see why they might like me for that.
Speaker 4: I believe you can.
Speaker 3: I guess that is a way of telling someone that you believe in them and that you think they could make a contribution. And I'm sure they would like to hear that.
Speaker 4: I think you could do a lot better.
Speaker 3: Ugh human nature. No, you say that to someone, they're never going to give you a break. But I suppose if you sugarcoated and do it softly. I know you're so great. I've seen this. It looks pretty good to me, but I know you could do better. I guess it's an encouraging way to get more out of someone.
Speaker 4: In the context of can I be honest with you? The last one number twelve? Let me be upfront with you?
Speaker 3: So you're telling me I'm going to say that to someone and they're going to like me more for that article. No, now you bring me right back into the theme of tonight's show. Can I be honest with you? Let me be upfront with you? It's the same thing as can I be honest with you? No, don't be upfront with me? You know, mislead me, lead me down a difficult situation, so I can't trust you. Can you be honest with me? Please? If that's what it takes, by the way, to be like those twelve things. Not only couldn't I say most of them? I think I passed simply put for tonight show. Anybody out there who says can I be honest with you? You have some serious issues with those people. I'd like to play something for you from the movies.
Speaker 2: You want answers. I think I'm a titled You want answer, but the truth.
Speaker 3: You can't handle the truth. But I can handle the truth, and I expect the truth. Oh yes, I can handle the truth. And to tell you the truth, I'll be back in a minute with the night's show. Can I be honest with you?
Speaker 2: Always? In fashions.
Speaker 3: As one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers, Carl Lagefeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. His unique vision of Parisian shit comes to America through car Lagofeld Paris. He has women's collections, men's collections, ready to wear, accessory, shoes and bags. The fashion house Carlagofeld also offers a range of watches, I wear and premium fragrances. You can explore the car lagofl collection at car Lagofelparis dot com. But it's more than that. I have for one, love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention, what would make me feel good to wear? Now. I don't wear the women's wear, obviously, but I can appreciate it and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fits you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you and yours. You can find it at very affordable prices at Macy's, Ocarlagafel dot com Paris. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbigs and the shoes. I for one, wear men's clothes onlike my appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I want to look current. I want to look the way I want to feel. I go out at night, I'm in black and Carl Lagafel is my buddy. Calls are great. They fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches, whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at the neck or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carlagafel because he's always been, he always had been one of the world's great designers, and this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want to clothes that fits you well. Carl Lagafeld, Paris at Macy's Orcarl Lagafel dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to it Always in Fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 3: Can I be honest with you? I hate that phrase? Can I be honest with you? No lie to me. I've dealt with it my whole life, and there are problems with people that make that kind of comment. You know, you could find in life so many, so many quotes about the truth and honesty, and I think they're really really important. Let's do the celebrity versions first. The first up Kim Kardashian.
Speaker 4: I can't believe you're actually quoting her. What'd you get it from her Twitter account?
Speaker 3: Well, when you're right, you're right, and she was right. She said, my career is based on openness and honesty. Someone else there was a playwright with the name of Noel Coward. He said, it's discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty but so few by deceit humans. Another one singer Waylon Jennings, honesty is something you can't wear out. I love that one because it's like clothes, You're not supposed to wear out your clothes. And after all, we are a fashion show show. I like this reference. Speaking of fashion, Kate Hudson, former actress and now a women's active wear fashion entrepreneurial mogul, She's quoted as saying, honesty will never break you. But in my view, personally everyone, the greatest quote ever on the subject of honesty was by none other than Benjamin Franklin when he said honesty is the best policy. Did you know it was Ben Franklin?
Speaker 4: I knew that one. I'm not a complete idiot.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, I didn't, But I'll tell you what My favorite quote actually was from Benjamin Franklin. And I've used this one very often in my career when I got involved in fixing companies, and that is simply, well done is better than well said. Well done is better than well said. I for one, have lived my business career believing and supporting that concept. I'm not interested in what you have to say. I'm interested in what you do. Earlier, I spoke about the need for being liked. I think Jesse put more value in that than me. But tonight I'm focused on the annoying quote. Can I be honest with you, what does it say in business if somebody says that to you? What does it say about the business culture. It says that the people who lead off with those sentences can't be honest with you. If it's okay with all of you out there, I'm going to tell you a story. A few years back. You should all know by now, I was the CEO and chairman of the Donna Karen Company, of course dkn Y And as you could imagine, how disappointing it was for me when I showed up at their doorstep, introduced myself and started to have private meetings with the key management. And when I started to hear from them every time I asked a probing question, can I be honest with you? I kid you not. Almost everyone I met in that company began their sentences with that. My former colleagues, those of you listening tonight, I know you're smiling and you know it's true. But what did it mean in business? Simply the following. I don't agree with the management, and I'm afraid to tell you what I really think. That's the truth, and that's a problem. That's what I confronted when I joined the company. Problem for sure, I needed to know the truth. I asked the question. The answer began with can I be honest to you. And that's when I coin my favorite answer to that question, no lie to me. What does somebody say after that? They got it right away? If I say to you, no lie to me, you get a jestice, of course.
Speaker 4: But what about let's say somebody says okay. Let's say you're afraid to hurt somebody's feelings okay, and you know they don't take criticism so well. So if you say, can I be honest with you? Isn't that a different frame?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't use it. I never would use that sentence. If you ask me, Daddy, do you like the suit I'm wearing tonight? And I didn't like it?
Speaker 4: I have a choice, and you say can I be honest with you? And I'd be like, I want your criticism.
Speaker 3: I want, But I would never say that. Okay, I either know you or don't. And I don't believe in that sentence. Aren't you listening to the show tonight.
Speaker 4: I'm giving you some counter perspective.
Speaker 3: No, that sentence does not work anywhere. But in fact, if you said to me, Daddy, do you like to suit? I have two choices. You're on the radio tonight. I need you at your best. I need you to perform. I'm certainly going to say to you know, I really like it. Later on, I might say to you, you know, I was looking at your suit and I thought about it, and maybe the color just wasn't right. But when you say that to someone's face, I don't even know if that was a white lie. I just chose to pick my time when i'd come back and talk to you about it, so I was clear.
Speaker 2: Hung all right, fair enough.
Speaker 3: I think that's pretty clear. Anyway, back to Donna Karen dkme why every time I asked them a question, can I be honest with you? Is the answer I got in reply? And of course my famous answer, no lie. To me, it was so bad and so pervasive at the company, I brought into my office a Donna Karen singing bowl. Is Donna Karen is very mystic. She travels all over the world, and part of what she did in Bali and those part of the world Polynesia, Indonesia, they made bowls for serving and they had a thing that you would grind peppers or whatever in the bowl. And if you took that grinding thing and you moved it around the bowl, it would make a noise like singing. The bull would actually sing.
Speaker 4: Oh was that like when you have a glass of water and you do on the thing?
Speaker 3: Exactly? I had a different use for it. At one point, I was so frustrated with everyone saying can I be honest with you? I said to them, see this ball. I got it out of the showroom. From now on, anybody, I ask a question. If you start with can I be honest with you? You have to put a dollar in the bowl?
Speaker 4: Huh?
Speaker 3: Period like the square jar fun policy? Right? Yeah, I told everyone you said it, you got to put a dollar in the bowl. I got to tell you. The money started piling up, and I told him at the time, will either you give it away to charity or we'll buy candy for everyone with they're hanging out of my office. In fact, what happened an open culture started to kick in, and it became easy to get answers because people were comfortable. They knew I wanted the truth. I didn't want some preference saying can I be honest with you?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 3: Who needed that? But why am I telling you this story? Because in business and companies, in life, some people have to be comfortable. They have to express their opinions. They have to share their ideas. It's called transparency, and transparency is crucial, crucial for success in an organization. How can you ever accomplish anything that people are afraid you can't? You can't be successful, you can't improve. Let me tell you a story of all things about shipping merchandise.
Speaker 4: You better keep this interesting.
Speaker 3: I'll try Jesse very simply. If you import products from Asia, you have two ways of bringing them here. You can put them on a train. They're no tracks across the ocean. You can put them on a boat, or you can fly them. Boats are slow, the capacity is huge. The other way is you fly flying. Think about a plane. It has limited capacity, and if you want to send your products here, you're going to compete for that small amount of space. Flying can often cost ten, maybe twenty times per an item for what it takes to do it. So one day I'm in a meeting and I happen to be talking about transportation, and I quickly asked someone, so tell me what ocean vessels do you use? And they got very quiet. Nobody would answer the question, and somebody said, can I be honest with you?
Speaker 4: Oh, there goes the end of that conversation, so.
Speaker 3: I said, yeah, let's let's be honest. Let's be honest. Is well, we fly everything. I said, what do you mean you fly everything? She said, well, we don't have calendar. We don't did he hito the calendar? We could be honest with you. We can't seem to use a team to get it together. So we're paying twenty times the cost of air freight on all our garments. So very simply, can I be honest with you? Led to a very open dialogue. I banned airshipments completely from the company and saved ten million dollars in the first year. So having an open culture, eliminating those words, telling people that they don't have to worry about answering honestly. I remember traveling to Japan before I leave Asia. Let me go back and tell you the story, and I never forgot a lesson. I learned sitting with one of the trading companies in Japan and we're talking about problems and fixing problems. They said to me very carefully, in the Japanese culture, we fix problems, we don't fix blame. They don't blame people. I thought that was fascinating. It's a great thing, and so let me sum it up. You don't have to be worried about telling the truth. You have to be careful how you do it, but you never lead a sentence. Can I be honest with you? Because my answer will always be no lie to me. There needs to be an open environment in companies. You have an obligation to create that environment. People need to be comfortable in your company, and they need to be comfortable on the job. You need to be comfortable. Can I be honest with you? Of course. We'll be back in a minute.
Speaker 2: Always in fashion.
Speaker 3: Than a lifetime of my career building the van usen Brand, and I am so pleased that they're back with us now talking about suits. Men, we're dressing up again and it's become cool to wear a suit. Suits can be won on multiple occasions in multiple ways. You could wear a suit formally to go out at night or to an event, to wear a suit to the office with or without a tie. If you look closely, now fashion trends, suits are being worn with turtlenecks or mark next. The choices are endless and every one of them looks right. You could really really look the part. I believe that in packaging yourself. This is important does the products you package and wearing a suit is one of those things that make men look their best. Ven Using invented a new idea. It's called the cool Flex suit. It's been engineered with stretch technology, giving you the most comfortable fit and mobility. Its wrinkle resistant fabric, it's cool moisture wicki. It makes it perfect for all occasions. As we discussed just now, this new style of looking shop while feeling cool and comfortable is amazing and I'm so excited that the ven Using company is involved in this new technology and is embracing the whole idea of dressing up. Let's not forget van Usen made its name with dress shirts. It's only proper that the soup business follows strongly in its way. You can find van Using Koolflex Men's stretch suits at Jacpenny or online at jcpenny dot com. Guys, they're great. You should go look at them.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to it always in fashion, here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 3: I hate when someone says to me, or anyone else for that matter, can I be honest with you? No lie to me? And that's the theme of tonight's show. You want to quotes, you want to talk about honesty, There's some great ones out there. Let's go to Shakespeare who said to thine own self be true. Talk about honesty, and let's not forget the founding fathers. Thomas Jefferson. You'll recognize this. We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal honesty and truth. Let's be honest tonight. I want to talk about the politics of business. We're starting off this new year with tax reform. By the way, I'm trying to recover from the government hating me for being somewhat successful. There's no benefit for me in tax reform. Living in New York, I lost my benefit of tax help for owning a nice house. Oh I'm upset. Well. President Trump had his head in the right place when he started out planning the tax reform, but then the Republican Senate stepped in and they had to make an example taking away deductions in this case from homeowners. My case, when I bought my new home, the one thing I looked at was the taxes, and I said to myself, can I afford this house? And I said, yeah, the taxes are high. But the government allows me a deduction with the federal government. The state government allows it. Great, so I'm not going to worry about the taxes, and now boom, I have to worry about the taxes. Having said that, I got hurt badly. No tax relief insight for me. But I will move on because the government now is about business. I support our government's business policies, and I support the approach that is being made to business issues. Let's talk honesty about the business of mail and package delivery. The Post Office is a major, major contributor and involved in our lives, in everything we purchase. Now, I started to think about this because Donald Trump, at the end of the year made the greatest Twitter comment of all from a business perspective when he commented, why is the United States Post Office who is losing many, many billions of dollars a year while charging Amazon and others so little to deliver their packages, making Amazon richer and the Post Office dumber and poorer. We should be charging much much more. Thank you, President in Trump. That's hysterical. Well, it'll affect everyone, but it's an important comment and I love it. Again. We have a CEO president in action. I can't help but think about it under the heading of business leadership. Great statement if you put it in the form of a question, why does the Post Office lose billions of dollars? Great question deserves a great answer. But let me begin with my own simple question. The government's US Postal Services had a monopoly on shipping in the United States. Every single letter, for all intense purposes mailed in the United States grows through the US Post Office. It's a monopoly that and of itself should make the United States Post Office one of the largest corporations in the United States and making more money than we can count. Then I started to think about FedEx and UPS Jesse, the difference between the US Postal Service FedEx and the US whatever it's called, the UPS.
Speaker 4: I knew we were going to talk about this, so I did a little research, and let me just tell you something. I didn't even know this, And I wonder if a lot of our listeners even know the difference between all three. When somebody says, just ship something, I don't know. I don't even think about the three. But okay, let's break it down. The United States Postal Service, it's a government agency, like you said, found it almost two hundred and fifty years ago. It's known as the Postal Service or US Mail. Unlike UPS and FedEx, it has strict guidelines in terms of size and the weight of a package, whereas in FedEx and UPS, which we'll get to get into, you can ship all different kinds of packages.
Speaker 3: So it often so you're saying, the US Postal Service limits what we do. Very smart.
Speaker 4: It's funded through postage, stamps and delivery services. That's how it makes its money. Now, let's get into UPS and FedEx. Both of them, believe it or not, and I didn't even know this. They're publicly traded companies. Okay, UPS headquartered in Georgia with FedEx headquartered in Tennessee.
Speaker 3: It's the US government versus two private corporations, right.
Speaker 4: Obviously, if you look at UPS or FedEx, there are differences in service options, pickoff and drop off options, commercial discounts, what's best for package size. But at the bottom line, at the bottom line, you have three different ways to ship products. And if you're a small business or a larger business, you have to look at all three and figure out which one's best for you.
Speaker 3: But here's the point, it's the problem with our government. How could the government mess up a monopoly on shipping. It should be making money and they should have never allowed the other two to become strong. But my question, how could they be losing money? It's impossible, right, Can I be honest with you? Yeah? The theme for tonight. The US government runs the post office, and that's the problem. If they did their job right to politicians, there would be no FedEx, there would be no ups with government control. With a running stot, no one should have able to even start and compete. It's terrible. The government can't help itself. It's not as good as protecting our money, investing it and spending it wisely. It's just so easy to taxes and spend our money anyway they want. You know, there are no taxes in the principality of Monaco.
Speaker 4: I remember that when we visited there.
Speaker 3: You know why, because the country pays for itself. Everything else they do, pays for all their expenses.
Speaker 4: Because everybody's losing money in the casino.
Speaker 3: That's part of it, for sure, But it's a tourist place. People go, they invest, they buy apartments, and that's how the government makes its money and pays for it. I'll tell you something else that really bothers me. Do you know, Jesse, there is no state income tax in Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Wyoming, New Hampshire, and Tennessee.
Speaker 4: I didn't know all those states. I knew Texas, but that's a lot of states.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they seem to know how to make money to support themselves. Maybe one of these states should take over the Post Office, or maybe they should take over New York. I hate that new tax.
Speaker 4: Build California is about to get a lot more money, did you Yeah, I know that's all.
Speaker 3: The Californians need. Legalize marijuana. That's what they're missing.
Speaker 4: I think they'll make a billion dollars from that from taxing.
Speaker 3: Let's get back to it. Honesty is the subject, and honesty and honestly, the President is right the Post Office should earn billions, not lose billions. But I need to be honest to give you the other side. We've talked to one of our earliest shows about the low of unintended consequences. Sometimes governments make decisions without considering the long term impact and the long term implications. What happens if we raise prices in the post office on Amazon and any other postal people using the rates that ship products to us. Good question. Huh, well let's talk about that.
Speaker 4: You like this just yeah? I think it's a good point that a lot of people don't think about. No one ever thinks about.
Speaker 3: This, Well, we raise our prices on Amazon, So what are the choices? First up, they would just pay the increase. They have no choice. There's not enough capacity anywhere else to pick up the slack for what the post office does for Amazon. The leverage is on the government's side. Now that leaves what would FedEx do? They're the competitor. Thiss enable FedEx to raise their prices. I think, so why wouldn't they same thing for ups as well? It's a great opportunity to increase their profits. Their shareholders wouldn't want to hear that they have ability to raise prices and they didn't take advantages. Now they could stay firm. They can keep their prices as is or lower them and think that they would gain share a market. However, I would guess as business people they would not give away potential margin growth. Now what are the unintended consequences? Maybe Amazon would take the hit and slow their growth. But maybe with the tax break we gave big businesses down to twenty one percent, they simply pay the price and absorb it elsewhere. But here's the thought, why didn't the president and his team, why did a minute, why did anyone suggest we were negotiating reducing the business tax from thirty five percent to twenty one percent to force the post office to raise the prices and have a discussion with the big businesses out there that in order for us to do this for you, I need you to agree in advance that if we raise the postal rates, you're going to pay them. I didn't hear anyone else but me talk about that. That makes a lot of sense. Here's the worst of the potential unintended consequences. I'm just putting it out there just in case Amazon gets the price to increase and they decide not to absorb it. What do they do. They put pressure all the way down the line to all of its suppliers. If that happens, the pressure we put on manufacturing produce this selling prices here in the USA and around the world, then it turned the suppliers force their suppliers pressure run all their supplies to lower their costs whatever. Even shipping lines and other freight lines to carry the goods for Amazon or the US Postal Service will be forced to deal with this. Everyone but Amazon will be forced to really pay for the post Office. And what is the real outcome of all this? The comprice for consumer products will rise, maybe just raising the price of mail and shipping horse from the US government. The US Postal Services touches everything and everything and everyone in the world. That's the unintended consequences. All our suits, all our shirts, all our dresses, all our shoes, all our handbags, all our perfumes, all our cosmetics all become more expensive. The government collects more taxes, they get to waste more of our money. With all that money, Is there any chance they'll fix my property tax reduction in New York? Can I be honest with you, No way. I'll be back in a moment.
Speaker 2: Always in fashion.
Speaker 3: My favorite brand has always been Isa. My company at one time bought that brand. The CEO of the company handed it to me and said, you better make it work. And I put everything in my career to make eyesod work. And I fell in love with that brand, And to this day it is one of the most exciting endeavors I've ever got involved with. ISOD is an incredibly strong golf brand. If you play golf, if you play tennis for that matter. They make a great polo shirts. I mean great. They're fit perfect. The material is unique because it's a p que fabric that waffle leave, you see, and it's made of a blend of cotton and microfiber that allows you to stretch. And very often they are treated with solar protection as well, so they stretch, they're comfortable, and they breathe well. And one thing about ISOD they always fit. They'll never tug on you. You put it in your waist that they'll fit you great. The colors, patterns are sensational. Now I will also tell you ISOD makes great shorts and great golf pants. You're a golf friend. You want to look good. You don't have to think about how do I look. You want to think about how you play, not how you feel. Isazad is the brand for you. I know I was there when it was created. The strategy behind that brand is brilliant. It's one of my favorite brands. While I talk about it, I should tell you about the man's sportswear. Isad wasn't enough being a golf brand. It wasn't enough being just great polo shirts with logos without logos. Incredible brand and story and history. Isaad makes salt weather programs. They have great printed woven shirts, short sleeves. They look excellent with colors, excellent with shorts, excellent with cotton pants, of which they also make this whole salt order relaxed line from Isaac, whether it be fleece, cotton sweaters, knit polos, woven shirts and pants of a range of colors and fabrics that are perfect for a guy wants to go casually in the spring and summer of this year. And here's the thing. Ison is affordable. Everyone listening to me talk about this brand can afford to buy it and know that there are a lot of other brands that also have a look like EID. Although I don't believe it's fun as Isaonda is. The brand has a lot of energy in it, but at the price points no one can compete. You can find Eyaesa at You're leading retailers and online at Izon dot com. Talk to you later, guys. I wish you are very happy springing, summer and I help you by telling you if you were eyon, you're gonna look great.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to it. Always in fashion, here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 3: If there is a statement that I hate more than any in business, I guess in life as well, is when someone says to me, can I be honest with you? No? Lie to me? What a statement? Somebody says that it's over. But in business you can't afford to be caught as liars. Why would you want to be Why did you risk your company? Why don't you risk the opportunities your reputation? It's not worth it? Can I be honest with you? I loved what happened to Apple. I loved they got caught being dishonest. Can I be honest with you? Is Apple sorry for lying or the sorry they got caught? I think they're sorry they got caught having said that. Jesse legal honesty? What do you think about this one?
Speaker 4: Everybody out there? Is your phone slow? There's a reason for it because when you updated your phone, you might have an older version of the phone. Your phone might seem really, really slow. And why is that Apple purposely updated their software to make your phone slow? Because they battery their battery that's in those old phones can't keep up with the new technology.
Speaker 3: Now, the last time we spoke about this, I didn't realize that they were doing it on purpose to slow down your phone. Oh I thought they were doing it. It's just a fact of what happened. Newest software slow down your phone.
Speaker 4: Nope, they did a person less no, because if they didn't do it, your phone was so the phone can't contain the old battery, it would automatically shut down. Your phone wouldn't operate. So to do that, everybody updated their software. Their phones are slow. What Apple didn't say beforehand, they didn't let their consumers know that this was happening. They didn't give them the option and say, hey, if you come in and replace your battery, your phone will be fine. What people ended up doing was downloading the software and then getting a new phone. There were people were spending all this money on the iPhone AID and the iPhone X because their phone is slow. They were deceived. They were deceived by Apple.
Speaker 3: What's the issue people were threatening.
Speaker 4: It's a contract issue and the fact that you have made an agreement with Apple to buy this phone and you did not know. Apple never informed you that they were going to do this, and people were deceived. It's a matter of deception. It's a matter of unfair practices for consumers. The fact that your phone is being affected, your phone, which has everything you need to operate in your life, is being affected by Apples up there.
Speaker 3: They purposely ruining it for you.
Speaker 4: There's a number of lawsuits. There's ones in California, New York, Illinois, there's even one in Israel and France. They're still suing them. Those lawsuits haven't stopped. What Apple has tried to do is a way to make good is they said we will replace your phone at a reduced cost. It's now gone from seventy nine dollars to twenty nine dollars. Now, we thought, we thought that they were going to make this change in January. Nope, it happened in December already. So people are replacing their phones at a cheaper rate. Doesn't matter if the lawsuits are not affected. They're still going through. And I have to tell you Apple might be facing some legal trouble here. They've had similar claims in the past that have lost.
Speaker 3: Now does the law system automatically hear a case such as this or could be shut down.
Speaker 4: There is a standard whenever you file a lawsuit that you have to meet. Do you establish enough facts that say that you might have a case here. Clearly that's happening. Whether they'll actually be successful, whether it will go to trial, whether it'll settle. I think it'll probably settle. That's a different question.
Speaker 3: However, why would they settle when they know they have them dead to rights?
Speaker 4: Do you know how time consuming an expensive and annoying trial can get you? Don't also, truth be told, does Apple really want to go through discovery where all their emails, all their communications are disclosed?
Speaker 3: Who knows what you're saying? They're going to be willing to pay such an enormous amount to make this go away rather than be seen.
Speaker 4: We're talking about Apple, We're not talking about Radio shack here. I think they can afford it. And they've had similar claims that the similar challenges in the past.
Speaker 3: Well, the idea of them agreeing to settle for some exorbitant number, just so that you just said that we don't go in and look at them in the back room, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing. They've already admitted what they did. They already realized what they did is kind of wrong. That's why they're paying That's why they're replacing batteries at cheap price.
Speaker 3: I have one more question for you. You I have a phone, iPhone Yep, they slowed me downp What is my damage? What can I possibly get in return for them apologizing and paying me off?
Speaker 4: Now I haven't read the complaints, but if I were to argue it, I would say, your whole life, your communications, your work, everything is on your phone. We live in a day and age where you can't operate in your life without your.
Speaker 3: Phone and Apple. You convinced me that I should trust you to provide these services in my life. You're my go to company number one.
Speaker 4: Slowing down my phone hurts me. It hurts my business here and there. What about the people? What about the people who wasted the money on spending on getting the money on an iPhone eight or an iPhone X one. All they had to do was replace the battery.
Speaker 3: So you're saying that I can be reimbursed for the cost of my totality of my new phone if I bought one once it's slowed down.
Speaker 4: It's an argument. Plus there's also all the damages resulting to the fact that this is a violation of consumer protection laws.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was pretty interesting. The moral to the story here is tonight the subject is can I be honest with you? No? Lie to me? My favorite sentence, Hey Apple, I love you? But come on? Can I be honest with you? I expect you to be honest with me. With that, I'll take a break. We'll be back in a moment.
Speaker 2: Always in fashion.
Speaker 3: Donna Karen began her career as one of the finest, most successful, powerful women in the fashion industry. She developed a collection aimed at the luxury market for women on the go, women who were powerful in their workplace, women who had lives that extended beyond the workplace, and her clothes went from day and tonight. An extraordinary collection. But the interesting thing Donna Karen had a young daughter, and she had friends and they couldn't afford to buy the Donna Karen collection, and Donna invented dk NY Donna Karen New York. It's an offshoot of the Donna Karen collection. The same a lifestyle brand. Now we talk about lifestyle brands, what does that really mean? Simply what they say, there are brands that follow you throughout your lifestyle. You get up in the morning, you start to get dressed Donna Karen Decan Why as intimate apparel, as hosiery, as all those products. You're getting dressed for work. You get accessorized shoes, handbags, and it takes you through the day. The remarkable thing about DK and Y clothes for work, they work into the evening. The dresses, the suits, the pants, the sweaters, the blouses, extraordinary clothes at affordable prices that go from day in tonight. Part of your lifestyle is active. You have weekends, you have events, you participate in sports. Donna Karen's casual clothes did that under the DK and Y label. A vast array of casual sports where that make women look great as they navigate their busy lives. Whether you going to soccer games for your children or whether you're going out to the movies, whatever you want to do. DCNY Genes dk Y sportswear is there for you. That's what a lifestyle brand is. I need to mention DKY Activewear, which is extraordinary, the leggings, the sports bras, the sweats. You can wear DKY activewear, certainly in the gym, certainly when you're working out at home, and certainly if you want on the street, because it's that well done. The quality of DKY is nothing short of exceptional. And why shouldn't it be because it was born from the idea of luxury made affordable for women of America. DK and why a true lifestyle brand that takes you from day and tonight, from the week into the weekend, DCN why you can find DCNY and Macy's DKY dot com. Then a lifetime of my career building the Van Usten brand, and I am so pleased that they're back with us now talking about suits. Men were dressing up again and it's become cool to wear a suit. Suits can be won on multipleccasions in multiple ways. You could wear a suit formally to go out at night or to an event, to wear a suit to the office with or without a tie. If you look closely, now fashion trends, suits are being worn with turtlenecks or mark next. The choices are endless and every one of them looks right. You could really really look the part. I believe that in packaging yourself this is important. Does the products you package and wearing a suit is one of those things that make men look their best venues and invented a new idea. It's called the cool Flex suit. It's been engineered with stretch technology, giving you the most comfortable fit and mobility. Its wrinkle resistant fabric, it's cool moisture WICKI it makes it perfect for all occasions. As we discussed just now, this new style of looking sharp while feeling cool and comfortable is amazing, and I'm so excited that the They Using company is involved in this new technology and is embracing the whole idea of dressing up. Let's not forget van Using made its name with dreads shirts. It's only proper that the soup business follows strongly in its way. You can find van Using kool Flex Men's stretch suits at jcpenny or online at jcpenny dot com. Guys, they're great. You should go look at them.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Always in Fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 3: Can I be honest with you and someone says that to me, it's over, it's over. What does it mean? No? Lie to me, light to me? I just hate that sentence. And that's what we're talking about tonight. One of my favorite lines on people who've just I guess the word is lie is how do you know when someone's lying his lips are moving? Absolutely? Tonight's show is about a sentence I heard. Can I be honest with you?
Speaker 2: Honestly?
Speaker 3: Business has many many ramifications and it comes at you in many different ways. And I have a story I want to tell you about your business management, because if you're not honest in your relationships, it could come back to haunt you. Couldn't come back to hurt you. I want to tell you a story about licensing. Licensing is a vehicle where companies rent their name to other companies who have the expertise in an area that they're not familiar with. Most of the sunglasses that you see with designer names on them are really not manufactured by the designer. They're manufactured by experts in the eyewear business. Designer company may very well have an input and what the design looks like, have a view of what the color should be, but it's done through what's called a licensing agreement, whereby you rent your name to an expert and they in turn pay you rent for using that name. Both companies do very well. The designer gets their brand extended over the category that they wouldn't have had before. People now see at nywhere stores or in sunglass departments that they wouldn't have been seen before. So the brand grows, it builds, and they get paid money. In turn. On the other side, the licensee gets a new brand and has an opportunity to go out and build a big business with a designer name. And those two work in tandem. It's an honest, straightforward relationship, except, as I said in my book, always in Fashion, licensing is a two edged sword. On the one side is that easy, beautiful, symbionic relationship I just outlined, And then the other side. Often, if not always, you come to a point where your interests cross the sharp side. Sometimes the licensees might cut corners. Sometimes they may change through distribution because they see an opportunity to sell a different kind of retail that you hadn't anticipate for your brand. You know a discounter. I was doing business with a company, a licensee of mine. I was the license soer of a particular product category. The brand that I was managing was huge. I had a license for this particular product category with the owner of his own company, very successful company, and he'd be at it for a year, and he built a business to about twenty million dollars and felt it should be much bigger. And it came to me and asked me whether or not he could sell the warehouse clubs Costco and Sam's Club. Now I admire those two stores in particularly. I shop in Costco, I have a card, I shop Bulk. I like that store, So I just want to get that out of the way. This owner of the company came to me and said he wanted to sell Costco, and I told him no. I said, that's not our branding strategy. That distribution is not a component of what we want to do. That doesn't fit the strategy of the company. So the answer is no. They started to argue with me, and I pushed back, and they said, you can't stop me from going there if I need that distribution. I said, well, the truth is I can't stop you. I have an agreement with you, we have a contract, and I don't want you to do it. And it kept pushing, and then finally I said, I'll tell you what you want to buy the company. It's cost your billion dollars. You pay us a billion dollars. I'll go to the CEO of the company. If he wants to sell it to you for a billion dollars, you could have and then you can do whatever you want. I said short of that, I'm trying to be fair, heir. I'm willing to help you anywhere you want to go, but I'm not going to change the distribution because you want to do more business. I gave you a great name, build it in the channels that we agreed upon. I thought we were at a point where honest men can differ. He left. I left. I was atl angry. He pressed me so hard. He might have been a little angry that I told him no, and it should have ended there. But here is a very important lesson on honesty. Unbeknownst to me, he went above my head to the CEO I was the president at the time, to complain that I wouldn't give him this deal. What I did was the right thing for the company. What I did I hand with dignity and respect. I told him no. He decided to go by my head. I would never stop anyone from speaking to anyone in my company. Period. You have a right to speak to every you want. Hold that thought for a minute. So again, unbeknownst to me, he went to the CEO had to dialogue. The CEO called me in later that day. He said to me, Mark, I had this fellow here today who was complaining that you wouldn't give him this deal. I said, you're kidding. He came to see you. He said yeah. He said why you didn't know? I said no, I didn't know he's going to go see you. He said, what do you want to do about him? Said? What do you want to do? He says, of course, you're right, We're not going to let him do it. I said, let me ask you a question. Should I like the fact that he went around me to do it? He said, no, you shouldn't like it, but it's okay. You and I agree, and I did. Now here's where he gets even more complicated. Mark, I want you to tell him that I said no. Now, the CEO and I were very close, and I laughed. I said it whil be my play, as she said, I thought you'd enjoy it. So I called the guy back and I said to him, look, I met with the CEO. We discussed your situation. He has agreed with me that this distribution your requesting is not right for the brand, and I want to tell you that your answer is no, and I need to tell you something else. I said, if you wanted to go to the CEO, and you said to me, Mark, if it's okay with you, I'm not happy with this answer. I'd like to talk to the CEO. Are you okay with that? I would have said yes, and you and I would have had a relationship going forward. But as of this moment, anyone in your company needs to talk to me. It's not you, because I'll never talk to you again. And therein is the honesty of relationships in business. You out there, you got to think about this. You need to get along with everyone, but you got to be particularly smart when you're dealing with people who can affect your business. And in this case, I had control over my business. With that, all he had to do was be honest with me. Can I be honest with you? Mark? I'd like to see the CEO? Sure tonight? Our subject is can I be honest with you? No lie to me or mislead me, or don't include me either way stupid. I need to talk about honesty in our business. Fashion does come and go, and style does remain forever. The fashion industry must renew its commitment to you, the consumers every year, and remember that you want to be a member of our brands. We want you as customers forever, and with that comes the price of honesty. We want your loyalty. We have to earn it. In order to have your loyalty, we in the fashion industry must be loyal to you and to our products. We need to build trust in everything we do. We need to be thorough with our honesty to all our our listeners in the fashion and retail luxury industry. Let me remind you as we start the new year. Our customers expect the honesty and our products. They expect our fashion to be well made. They demand that our choice of fabrics and colors be fashion right so that they feel right. They expect our clothes and our shoes to fit well. They want to be comfortable. They believe us when we say this is real leather in our handbags and that they're made either Italy or France. Our consumer is willing to pay, whether discount it or at the highest, the top level, the peak of luxury. They're willing to pay in that luxury pyramid. But they expect and insist on honesty and integrity in our prices, and today's consumer wants us to do everything we can to support sustainability at work, to protect the environment. This is the honesty of fashion, and to night, I'm always in fashion. I call on you to remember, with the beginning of two thousand eighteen, to avoid using that sentence. Can I be honest with you? You better be. This is Mark Webber. Good night,