Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started, Ladies and gentlemen, Hour number two. Here on a Tuesday afternoon Coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee. That's me the company man, John all on alongside today, it's taking you up till six o'clock. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the out radio. Listen live A'T seven ninety Louisville dot com. And if you want to be a part of the show, we have no guests set to join us today. So pel free text line is the ellenin Federal Credit Union text line five two six five three zero seven ninety members get more at ellenin Federal Credit Union. You can learn what open your account at LNFCU dot com. Phone lines open five two, five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you'd like to give us a call. So yesterday, obviously we did talk a lot about the injury to Colin Lacey, a highly highly coveted transfer, a guy who was super accomplished as a college football player four years at South Alabama and he was really really good. I don't know where he ranks among the transfers that Louisville fans were most excited about, but Louisville lacked explosive playmaking ability at the receiver position last season outside of Jamari Thrash. But I think Jamari Thrash and I wouldn't you know, he was just a good receiver, a reliable guy when healthy. Obviously that hand injury later in the year really did change some things for him, but obviously a really talented guy that his success from Georgia State did in fact end up transferring over. And he was good, really good, and unfortunately you really learned how valuable he was, and you know, you didn't really see the full value he had that he brought to you until you know he didn't you didn't have him. He's injured and when he did play at times he wasn't the same. So I think given the accomplishments from Colin Lacey at South Alabama, knowing all the other schools that wanted him, and knowing that he's a guy that you know, Jeff Brohm could really creatively use in a variety of ways and I know I'm not the only one that's thrown out that Rondell Moore comparison. Tough to live up to that because Rondell Moore was an electrifying player, and honestly so is so is Colin Lacy. It's just you don't know if it would be that way here at Louisville. I happen to think that it would. And it's unfortunate that his collarbone injury that will sideline him six to eight weeks took place right at the same time it started to sound like he was really starting to emerge and become a guy that you know, they felt very confident in. So it's unfortunate. You know, I talked a lot yesterday about the potential opportunities here for other guys to kind of step up. Right when you get this laid into practice, and you know, this close to the season, you know, if your second third string you're not getting the same reps in practice every day that somebody is that is ahead of you on the depth chart. Well, now Colin Lacy's not practicing because he's recovering from a collar bone injury, just had surgery. So there's some guys that may be able to kind of show, hey, I'm not Colin Lacey, but you could really you could really utilize me in this spot. In fact, you know, it sounds like Murice Turner Lowell's running back, like he's somebody that may get some slot receiver opportunities now that Colin Lacey is sidelined for six to eight weeks. So I still believe they could have a really good offense this year. When I say really good, I don't mean that they're going to lead the country. But I think their offense can be balanced. It can be at times, you know, high powered as far as lighting up the scoreboard. Maybe an offense that you feel like, okay, yeah we're down a couple of scores here, but yeah, no problem. We got Jeff Brum calling the plays, we got a healthy Tyler Schuck slinging it across the yard, and we've got guys that can make place. So like, I still think they you know, the defense. It's just weird for people to say this, but the Louisville offense could be really good this year, better than last year, and yet the defense still be the overall strength. Because I think the defense has the chance to be that good. So I think even with Lacey out, Bull should still have a good season and have expectations pretty high. But you also can't act as if like this is no big deal. Right, You'd be better with Calmon Lacey, but without him you could still be pretty damn good in my opinion. So nothing, you know that that was sort of the gist of yesterday's conversation about him being out for six to eight weeks. So there's some some smoke out there about a potential last minute edition to the roster here as school is set to start, I believe next week maybe, and everybody's moving in like right now, I don't know when the first day of classes start at u of L. And even if you know, you arrived a day or two after, you could probably still like there's that grace period. We all know about that grace period, right, So it's possible, But it's one of those things where it's strict rumor there really isn't any There's nothing legitimate out there that I've seen that makes me believe for sure that they're working on doing something here. But it also isn't a crazy thing to see potentially happening. And I'll just tell you what it is, and again I'm letting you know this is just an offline rumor from message boards. I mean, it's even being discussed on the Trilla Donovan discord. It may be behind some paywalls at rivals in twenty four to seven, but I don't have access to those boards. But a mari Huggins Bruce, You guys remember that name, right. I think of Mariy Huggins Bruce early on in the Portal era here as a Louisville football fan. He's like the he's the best example, in my opinion, of a guy who you liked. He was productive, he was a pretty good player. He wasn't your best player. He wasn't somebody that you think, like you can't live without. But like he's not somebody you're thinking, yeah, he'll leave in who cares. He's also not somebody that's like, you know, we're going to be doomed if he leaves. But he's a you know, he's a guy who you know in the last in three seasons at Louisville, there's a receiver eighty receptions, eleven hundred yards, ten touchdowns played, thirty eight games total. Has really been somebody that you've seen on the field with the offense since his freshman season. In fact, his best season came as a true freshman in two thousand and was that twenty one or twenty I don't know what it was. I don't know which year it was, but I know he's been on the field since he was a true freshman in some former fashion. But yeah, he cut twenty nine passes for four hundred and forty four yards and four touchdowns in his in his true freshman season. And again he made plays last year. Last year, you know, three hundred and twelve yards, four touchdowns on twenty receptions in all fourteen games played. He is somebody that you know, you wouldn't be bummed if your staff recruited over this guy, but you don't want him to leave. But then when you kind of come to if you will, and you realize the era that we're in, this new world of college athletics where this guy didn't want to be moved down. He wants to be he wants to have an elevated role. So like to me, I you know, just I'm only speaking for myself here as a Louisville fan. I liked him aout. Mary Huggins versus I didn't want him to leave, but he's also somebody that, like, yeah, makes total sense. He's a guy that probably didn't want to leave Louisville until he realized, yeah, I've probably maybe maybe I've hit my ceiling here, and let's be real. He decided to transfer from Louisville a little bit after called in. Lacey committed to Louisville as a transfer guy. So, like he saw the writing on the wall, I'm being recruited over no hard feelings, you know, I can see my role potentially diminishing, and I'm gonna look to leave. And he did love Louisville, by the way. He's somebody that you know, I remember specifically on his way out he talked about how much he loved it here. I know there's people in the community. They got to know him a little bit, like he's he really liked it here, but he's looking out for himself and in this new world of college athletics where you have the ability to just up and leave whenever you want and find a new home that gives you what you're looking for, a bigger role, you know, maybe closer to home, that kind of stuff. So you know, he's somebody that I didn't want to see leave, but I felt like Louisville will probably be okay without him, and I understand him looking out for himself. Well, he transferred to South Carolina. He did not win the starting receiver job at South Carolina. In fact, he got beat out by another transfer I believe, who transferred in from Coastal Carolina, who was catching passes from McCall who's now in in C State. So you know, it sounds like he's not really emerged as a guy that's going to be relied upon heavily at South Carolina. And he tweeted something out that has since been deleted, which is I'm completely checked out. I think it's what it said, or I'm totally checked out, And this was a couple of days ago, maybe now again it's since been deleted. He has nothing on his Twitter bio other than just an all black avatar and an all black background. He does still say that he's a game Cock receiver, but there are people that are, I guess, either reporting behind a paywall or they're hearing that it's something that's being worked on. That he comes back to Louisville and rejoins the Louisville team. I have no clue if that's true or not. Wouldn't shock me if it's one of those things that, like enough people start talking about it. So it just is, you know, people started running with it, and nobody's out there saying that it's legit and they're reporting that it's happening. But it just he is out there enough by enough people to where people where people like myself could kind of say, okay, you know what, maybe that is happening. So that would make me feel a little better about Louisville situation with Colin Lacy because Huggins Bruce he never really was consistent enough, like he was good enough. He made some plays, you saw some flashes of it, but you know, he really was expected to maybe emerge in a big way when thrash went down last year and it just didn't happen. You know, he'd have a game here or there, he'd have a play here or there where you're like, all right, here we go this guy, man, he can he's good, and then it did. You know, then you then you'd you'd go a couple of games and you think to yourself, Oh, I forgot about that guy. Where's he been. So there's also a part of me that says, maybe AMRII Huggins Bruce didn't really you know, thrive at Louisville because of the guys thrown in the ball, Willie Cunningham and who you know, heck of a player in his own way, but like wasn't consistent with his arm and then you know, we all know Jack Plummer was Jack Plumber. So if that happens, awesome, Uh, if it's completely made up, shout out to somebody who was able to like wishfully float something. And it kind of created a life of its own to where there's a lot of folks that seem to believe that it's that it's true. So just because they may be working on this doesn't mean it's gonna happen because it would probably take you know, I mean, it's possible. I don't think it's too late for you to end up enrolled in school here, and maybe I'm wrong, but him transferring to a school that he's already been at, wouldn't. I mean, there's you know, I guess he did enroll in spring classes and he went through spring with South Carolina, so maybe that does make things a little bit sticky, but you have to worry about him being able to get into school, right, Like I mean, he's somebody that you know has already been here for three years. So again I'm I'm not here to report that that is happening or it's not happening, but I would be in favor of that if so. All right, something else we discussed that came out in the three o'clock hour and there's some reaction on the text line, and that is that we now know when John Caliperry is coming back to Lexington. It'll be on Saturday, February the first. That is when Kentucky and Arkansas will play at Rupperina, And that's going to be a really tough ticket to get. I wouldn't be good at guessing the price Ranger going to see. But two things, Arkansas fans will be there. Now, there ain't gonna be that many of them, I'm sure, but like they'll they travel if they can get a ticket. Like I think Kentucky losing Cow will some would say that they got rid of him, but cal being at Arkansas and also Arkansas having a hell of a run with Musselman until the last year. I think that has let people know. Arkansas, Man, they got a big ass fan base that does, in fact care about basketball more than just about everybody in the SEC outside of Kentucky. So you know, I think Arkansas fans there's enough of them out there to where, if you know, if somebody had access to tickets, you know these secondhand markets, if they got tickets and resold them for a big, big, big chunk, I wouldn't be I wouldn't put it Patson Arkansas fan to travel here. I guess at that point in February, you depend on how good you are. Right Like, you're not going to make the trip if your team's terrible and you expect them to get blown out. But Kentucky fans, I think there's gonna be an incentive there for them to say they want to be there to boo his ass when he comes out onto the floor. Now you're somebody I'm just trying to, you know, psychologically, look at it. If you are a Kentucky fan and you're willing to say, Okay, I only go to three games a year. I live in I live in h I live in Owensboro. See, you know, not super close to Lexington, but not too far but I go to three games every year, and I'm not afraid to spend a good chunk of money because it's a game I want to be at and I want a good seat. If you're that person and this game is circled for you as one of the ones you gotta get to, my gut tells me you're getting there to boo loudly, because that's the incentive. You aren't. You aren't, You aren't circling this is Oh, let's bring him home. Cow oh. I want to give him a big smooch. I hope I run into him walking down that road he was walking his dog on. Maybe I'll see him taking an old stroll down Memory Lane whatever the busiest road in lexingon is that he was just walking his dog. Yeah, Richmond Road, just walking his dog in a baby stroller, Wasn't it? Like what a what means? That's one of those That is one of those things, Like you know, even now it's been what four months since that happened or whatever it was, it's still insane that that happened. Like the cal departure to Arkansas was a wild ride, because I do believe that deep down he had regret that he didn't. He wanted to put the fear that he could go somewhere and it was happening. And then I believe he talked to people at UK and he kind of told him, you know, I'll come back if this or that, and I think it pretty much turned into no.
Speaker 3: We remember it was right off the heels of that TV interview with Mitch Barnhart.
Speaker 2: Oh God, that was so awkward. Yeah, yeah, so I think. I mean, again, I don't know the specifics, and maybe this has been out there. It's one of those things where I know who I heard it from, but I don't remember if he told me this in conversation or if he said it on his show, which I'm sure you're probably familiar with who I'm talking about. But like cal actually broke his contract and could have been like, you know, not only do you not get to go, or not only are we not going to to give you what you're asking for, you should take this job and if you don't, we'll fire you and not owe you a dime because you violate. You broke your contract by communicating with another school about their job without letting your athletic director know. So you know, anyways, I mean, I have no problem in saying it. That is one of the storylines of college basketball this year. How does Cal do it? As new school? And I don't think a storyline about college basketball is as much about like, there's not pressure on Mark Pope to win, to win really really big right away. But you know, if he's terrible in year one and they don't make the tournament or something, which I don't see that happening, like that would be a storyline because that's rare for Kentucky in in any era, any coach. But you know, if Cal is rolling and they're kind of just trotting along looking like a tournament team potentially or looking like a tournament team safely but not looking like a real contender. But yet Cal does have Arkansas looking like one of the best teams in the country, then I think, you know, it will be a big talking point. But I still feel we you know this, this question was asked on the text line, and it was actually discussed on the show not long after we found out, you know that this was happening, right Cal's out, Arkansas is where he's gonna be, and they hired Mark Pope. There's no doubt in my mind in this one game they're gonna play. The pressure is on Cal more than Pope, and it's not close, right. I mean, Cal has a probably better roster on paper, just because of how top heavy his roster is with their transfers. And you know, he's a made man. He's John freaking Cala Perry. Pope's never won a tournament game doesn't mean he can't win big at Kentucky. That's not me acting as if they hired some guy who's gonna be awful, because you just never know, and I actually happen to I think Mark Pope's a good coach. Now will he be able to truly get them where they want to be because Cal obviously recent tournament success was a big failure for him, but he kept them in the limelight, he kept them in the top tier of the sport as far as you know, who's being discussed, who's believed to be a con tender consistently. And I don't know Pope can do that and Kentucky needs that, don't they? Because if Pope has Kentucky, as you know, third fourth SEC every year, always in the tournament, top six, top five seed, ish, that's not bad. That's not fireable. But that's where Kentucky just becomes another program that is certainly a blue bud, blue blood, but you know, they're kind of one of many in that tier in Kentucky. Last I checked, they don't want to be in any tier other than the tip top tier, and that's just where you know, you just don't know if Pope can do that. So I think the pressure is on Cal because what's Cal's excuse this year? If they stink, I mean, he'll have them. We're young, we built a brand new team. Guys haven't been practicing. Like some of the nonsensical excuses he used in Lexington were just hilarious. But like, no, there's no doubt somebody's asked us. Somebody has asked on text line, do you think who do you think has more pressure? I think it's not even close. More pressure to be good in year one and more pressure to beat the other. It is Col than Pope. I think that's a no brainer. Also, real quick, before we get to our next break, the you know Cal is you know, he's he's all about not playing games in home arenas in college basketball. He wants to do big event games on television nationally. That are played an NBA Arenas with not that many fans there, just because you know, that's that's how he operates. And you know, Kentucky fans they got to go to Vegas, they got to go to other cities when the Champions Classic rotates, and you know, hell, they played some games up in New York City randomly. So like, you know, if you went on those trips and your team was good, I'm sure that was fun. But like, I don't know, I just think it's insane. I'm I'm probably in the minority here, but if you've got these teams on your schedule every year, it should rotate home and home and you could still call it whatever you're gonna call it, and it would be best for college basketball because those are true road games and you get, you know, just a great atmosphere that can help really expose how awesome college basketball can be when you have the best teams play. So anyways, Arkansas has decided to, I mean, so Cal won't you know, Cal doesn't have the Champions Classic anymore because he's at Arkansas. Do I have the CBA Sports Classic? So you know, one of the games that he has put together for the upcoming season, is a Thanksgiving Day matchup where Arkansas is going to play. Arkansas is gonna play. I think it's Illinois, which is which is kind of kind of odd. I feel like I think they're gonna let's see, yeah, Illinois to battle Arkansas in Thanksgiving Day showdown. This will be played at T Mobile Arena in Kansas City and it'll be broadcast live at three pm Central on CBS and streamed on Paramount. So it's on Thanksgiving, they're gonna be going up. There's gonna be football that'll get way more attention. But uh, this is actually like, this will get a lot of viewership because it's gonna be on right after a big time NFL game, and some will automatically turn it over, and then some won't turn it over, and then a lot will turn it over, but not right away. And it's crazy that alone will that alone will give this a huge rating, which cow wants. Col wants to be able to say, Hey, we played on Thanksgiving and we had one of the highest rated games of college basketball season, and he'll use that to continue to kind of, you know, carry that brand that he carries that you know, he's the big dog, he's the larger than Live guy. I can't think of the examples, but I know there were two games that, if you went back and looked at in previous seasons the most watched college basketball games, there were two or three that you were like, huh, And it was only because it happened to come on right after an NFL game and people just left it on that station. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. We'll talk about this this beer controversy. It's not really a controversy, but some louisvell fans are upset about a local brewery here that has now partnered with Kentucky with nil and their own beer, just a year after they did the same thing for So we'll get to that in a lot more. Stick with us. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. I love this song, Kit Moore. Don't know much else about Kit more other than this song. I know he's had some other hits.
Speaker 3: I think he had something about a truck too, right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that song's awful. But this song, this song I love. I don't know why. It's just good. Turn it up, John good stuff. Song's old. I think it sounds like modern country, but you know, I think it's at least ten years old maybe.
Speaker 3: Usually it's easy for me to find how old it is.
Speaker 2: Wroun Beer Money, but Kit Moore twenty twelve, Uh, that sounds about right. Yeah, came out in July twenty twelve, so it's twelve years old.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Gosh, man, that's that again, Like that's old music to people that are like not that much younger than me. Did you know that song like when it came out or did you believe so?
Speaker 3: Yeah, twelve years ago around middle school era for me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah it was. It was a top three entry, you know, Billboard hits. So even if you're not looking, it's one of those things where if you're if it's a top three radio hit in hot country, you know, pop that kind of stuff, Especially back then when streaming wasn't as.
Speaker 3: Prevalent, you could stumble upon it. You could not like.
Speaker 2: Country and have known that song, you know what I mean? Not every word, of course, but yeah. His his debut single was some better in a harmor's field, and he sounds better than that clearly, but he's got like a gravelly voice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very grungey baby man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he sounds a lot better and me, I'll let him do the thing and then I'll stop. All right, It's coffee and company. Feel Bet Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I appreciate John playing beer money by h Kip Moore because beer money is being utilized to help, you know, foot the bill for college athletics and players and I all all that kind of stuff. So we'll start with the most recent piece of news here. So the universe Steve Kentucky. Uh well, I don't even know if it's it's Club Blue, which is one of the Kentucky collectives. I guess for nil it makes it. Yeah, So here's the details of it before I get it all wrong. There's a there's a beer now called Kentucky Blue Light that is made by Gravelly Brewing Company, which is here. They're based here in Louisville. And you know, I've seen the cans, I've seen the tap. I know there's certain places that have it. I don't know what kind of you. I don't know what beer tastes like. But what's happening here is that Club Blue an official partner of UK Athletics. They're providing you know, anile opportunity to student athletes. So I don't know how the percentages are broken down or what cut is in place, but some of the money purchased, some of the money that is spent on this beer will go towards in IL this inile collective Club Blue, which none of like this is normal. There's there's probably a lot of other universities that have partnered with a brewery, a brewer brewery to you know, bring in money and you know, just help elevate their brand. Right like you're in a liquor store. Oh wow, this is a beer that I'm seeing. It's got a it's got a UK logo on it, it's got a UVEL logo on it. I'll I'm not that picky. I like trying new beer. Let me give it a shot. So, you know, the issue here in the eyes of some Louisville fans is that Gravelly brew Gravelly Brewing just did a Louisville beer last year called called Cardinale Ale. I think it's just cardinal Ale, but like it's spelled different. So I'm not I've not had the beer. It's not really my kind of beer, but you know, I've had I've had Gravely Brewing before and it you know, they're pretty good. It's again I'm not I'm not huge on craft beer. But anyways, here is the specifics of what was announced last year. So you've all announced a partnership with Gravely Brewing to create Cardinal al craft beer. So what I think there could be a legitimate gripe here is that I don't know if any of the money that is being spent on this specific Cardinal ale crisp light bodied blonde alee but is four point eight ABV. I don't know if any of that money goes towards any of Louisville's and il efforts like their collective five OO two circle. So you know I that to me. I mean again, first of all, the the owner, Nathan Graveley, he's the owner and founder. Like I am in no way knocking this guy. I mean, first of all, it sounds like he's a UK fan and he grew up I don't know if he grew up a UK fan, but like he's a UK alom and I don't know him personally, but the belief is that he is a UK fan. But as much as we are lunatics and we're petty about this rivalry. If you are in business, you stand to gain nothing by alienating another school, you know, that has a big fan base in the in the area where you do business and want to get business right, Like, you know, there may be like there may be an owner of a company who is a die hard Louisvel fan, and I'm sure there are plenty of them out there. I just can't you know, I can think of a couple, but I don't want to, you know, put them out there like that, because again, you don't want anybody thinking that you like, there are people let me, let me just back up a second here, I almost said something I probably shouldn't say, as far as some local business owners that like probably don't want you to know who they really root for and don't But nonetheless, as petty as we are as fans, and this may be like the small, very, you know, very small minority of Lunatic fans. There are some people that if they're looking at a plumber and they're deciding which plumbing company to use, if they know that they have seen a ton of promotion with U of L in this plumbing company, a lot of they're a big advertiser, a big corporate partner with U of L, but they've seen nothing from that same plumbing company. On the Kentucky side, a diehard Kentucky fan may just think, well, I'm not going with them. But that doesn't mean that that plumbing company and he is alienating Kentucky. It's just that that's where they choose to do marketing. Not a whole lot of their brand is like you know, affiliated, right, Like they're they're not rolling out a ton of their own commercials that are being put on television that you know are just specifically but hey, join us. We are we only want Louisville fans to give us business because we love U of L. Like nobody would ever do that. That's stupid. And if you live in Louisville and you do business in Louisville and you want to bring in a lot of customers, you should cater to both. Now, some people may have a tough time doing that, right because they just they're they're they may have a lot of money and they're successful in their business and they understand marketing is a key to that. But nope, they're not giving a penny of their marketing dollars to a rival, because again we're kind of lunatics about it. So if you don't want to buy Gravely Brewing beer anymore because you now know that they gave Kentucky a potential better deal, which again I don't even know that for sure, and I'm trying to get the specifics, but I'm going back to the release here when this came out last year that UFL had partnered with Gravely. There's nothing in the release about any nil money being involved. Where on the Kentucky side, the people who buy this beer, some of that money is going towards Kentucky's collective. So you know, if that is really how it breaks down, which from what I can tell it is that would you know that would make Louislle fans some Moile fans are like, nope, we need a new beer provider. Nope, No, we can't have them putting their putting the Louisville logo on any Gravely beer because they're in bed with the cats and they're helping them with nil and not us. Like that sounds so petty and childish, but hey, that's the rivalry, isn't it Petty and childish? So I mean, I don't knock anybody at gravely, because again, it makes sense to cater to both. But I do think if you are you know, and I don't even know who'd be over top of this. I want to say Josh Hurt, because you know he's the athletic director, but like there's people in marketing, people in licensing. Heck, this could be a learfield thing. To be honest with you, probably is a liar field thing. But I mean I'm gonna play middleman here and say that as a Louisville fan specifically, I would prefer to see U of L have a beer partner that is also not partnered with the rival, and that you know, has a collective initiative here to where some of the money purchased on said beer can go towards, you know, adding funds to the nil collective that is the five h two circle. But it's not something I can fake that I'm like bothered by, if that makes sense. So I mean, I don't want to create it. I don't want to act as if this has become literally like a huge issue that Louisville fans are really worried about. But there are at least some that are really worried about it, and again as silly as it sounds to some people like right now thinking like ash, these people are nuts. We are we are absolutely nuts about a lot of things. And you know this is just I think, you know, this is an example of that. Like I'm looking here. I just looked at I searched Gravely Brewing on Twitter just to see kind of what was out there. And this is from a guy on Twitter named d Gray seventy five. And I assume he's a Louisville fan because he's got a big U of L, got a big U of L logo as his app. It's sorry, he says. Gravely Brewing, owned by a UK grad, produced a successful beer for U of L, now has a beer for UK, but a major difference here partial sales going towards their NIL. Fair to say we need to get is we need to get the same deal or shelve them for a new beer partner willing to donate partial sales to U of L in IL too right, question mark. So the responses here are let's see here some people are just claiming they're under the impression that Cardinal L also did help NIL. And again, maybe it does. I have no clue, but it didn't say that in the official release. And then there's other people I care one hundred percent not buying any other beer. If the profits go to UK and IL, you tell them Scott sixty seven forty five, stick it to him, Scott. Yeah, they'll be they'll they'll regret that, Scott. They'll regret you saying that on Twitter anonymously. Other people seem to agree, other people claiming it was the good beer anyway. Oh, somebody is all right, somebody's tagged Josh Hurd in the tweet Josh heard time to find a local brewer that is willing to commit to Louisville's in IL. So you know, the lunatic fringe. And I say that in a loving way. They're the ones who are bothered by it. I don't think it's like a big time issue. And uh, but that what this reminded me of is when it comes to corporate partners, Like if you are a corporate partner of U of L and you give them a lot of money, you know that's good. Right, schools need the money and the schools are going to have to pay the players themselves now. But in IL is also still going to be a real thing. So you know, I think if you're if you are a company, a corporation that is interested in partnering with U of L, because first of all, you want to get all the perks that come with that, right like maybe a suite. You know, being a corporate partner, it has perks, trust me, So you want that, but you also want to really benefit from it to where your logo for your company is at LL and N Cardinal Stadium where everybody can see it. It's it's court side at the Young Center during a basketball game. It is all over the lear field and god knows they got a billion of them. The majority of the liar field broadcast is advertising that is way overpriced. But you know you want to take advantage of that, and you know get that's why you invest, That's why you become a corporate partner. But I do think your best bet as far as really winning over fans who you hope do support your business, because if your support of the school they love, you got to be double dipping. You got to be given money to the school or you got to be giving money to nil. And in fact, the school won't want to hear this Liarfield won't want to hear this. But at the end of the day, people now fans the average not even the average fan, I mean the average fan, the casual fan, the diehard fan understands NIL is still very important. And that is a big misconception about what's changed in uh that that's a bit you know that that like clearly when the schools have to start footing the bill, that is, that's it. That's something I never thought i'd see happening in college athletics. But I think some people, some people think that that means that I was going to go away, and it's not. It may not be as lucrative, maybe there's a little more transparency to it, but and I was still going to be a very important thing. There's no doubt about that. Are you okay, John, Yeah, I'm okay you. Anytime you into the phone and you have a look on your face like you just had, I feel like.
Speaker 3: Well, and I appreciate all of our callers, especially the one who I just chatted with, but it does sometimes get a little aggravating whenever we're on the air, and I know, and I just want to talk to you having a conversation, but I was listening to what you were saying.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was, yeah, I mean, but you know they didn't insult you, did they?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no again. It was somebody who calls fairly regularly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because next time you come after John, you're gonna have to deal with me. And I'm kidding, but let's be nice to John.
Speaker 3: I want to get again. He wasn't mean to me. It's just the inconvenience of answering the phone while we were doing the segment.
Speaker 2: It's all good, and I gotta protect my guys. That's what I do. All right, quick break will come back. Wrap it up, meaning the four o'clock are we still got another hour to go. We're taking up till six o'clock like we always do right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. It's sticking with the nil conversation. This is something that will probably be i'd say, pretty common if it works. That's a big part of it. But Oklahoma State they've announced that their players will wear QR codes on their helmets this season, which will direct fans to a web page where those fans can donate to the programs and now collective every student athlete on the roster will have a unique code on the back of their helmet. So a couple things. The picture here shows how small it's going to be on the helmet, Like, how do you do Like I mean to me, I've not how often have you used a QR code?
Speaker 3: Not a bunch and now they work. But one thing I heard them say on one of the reports earlier is that there the camera people working the games. Obviously they're supposed to be They're expected to get tight shots of some of these helmets. So people how I mean, I don't know. I guess maybe during the huddle.
Speaker 2: But like, why would they do that. They don't work for Oklahoma State, you know what I'm saying, Like, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if they're given an extra incentive that yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: You got to buy that time. I mean, like, you know, for them to put the QR code on there, they better hope there's tight shots. And if you have a game that's on ESPN, which I think the big twelves deal is with ESPN, ESPN is not going to tell their production people, hey, make sure we get some tight shots in the back of the helmet so fans can donate money to Oklahoma States in il that would mean they wouldn't do that, So I don't. I mean, clearly this happening. There's a way in which this can be done easier than than how I'm seeing it. I'm thinking, Okay, well, how will I be able to get a like, even if you're at the game, like, you won't be able to get unless you're right there on the sideline. You won't be able to get that.
Speaker 3: Imagine that a guy scores a touchdown, runs over to the student section or something, and everybody's got their their phone out trying to scan the QR and it's not gonna happen. But that's just imagine the site of what that would.
Speaker 2: Look like like. Maybe these guys can recreate this code and post it on their social media's and all that, But I mean, yeah, this is from Brett McMurphy. It says Oklahom State will wear QR codes on their helmets this season, linking a general linking to the general team fund for every student athlete on the roster. It's believed to mark first time a college football team will wear QR codes in the regular season games to promote players earning potential. Again, I just don't understand how this is gonna work now you can mean it's I think everybody watches TV now in a way to where you could pause it, like if it's live, right, Like, yeah, I don't know what platform wouldn't give you the ability to do that, so maybe you could you could keep that in mind, like hey they did, because it's not gonna if you are somebody that plays, especially quarterback, like running back off. I don't know, Like I'm just trying to visualize the shots that you see in action, like between plays. I just don't know if the technology is at a point where you've got a huddle and you got ten guys around and there's seven of them where you can you can see the back of their helmet, but like if you pause and try to take a picture, like, is it gonna work? Part of me says, well, yeah, or they wouldn't do it, But I don't know.
Speaker 3: I also just can't imagine the average person taking a few extra seconds wanting to do that.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, anything helps, right, like, and I think that's really the overall the overall thing here is that like they just want it, Like I don't know, I let's see, this is Mike Gundhy's comment or Mike Gundhy's statement that they that was included in the press release. This is a revolutionary step to help keep Oklahoma State football ahead of the game. He gives a chance for everyday fans across the world to have a real impact when it comes to supporting the Nile efforts for Cowboys football. I'm thrilled about this opportunity for our players. Yeah, this says I'd love to know how the scan rate, conversion rate, and ROI on what on that production. Yeah, a lot of people in the comments here from the it looks like Matt Fortune I might have broke the story earlier today. I mean, it looks like a lot of people are asking the same questions that that I'm asking Again. It's a cool idea, but I just, you know, like I don't know how it's gonna work. All right, quick break, We'll come back finish strong here with our last hour of the day. Five o'clock hour is next. Coffee and company fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety