Speaker 1: All right, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Drive time? Tuesday afternoon, about nine minutes past the hour of two o'clock, winter has come calling. It is rainy, it is snowy, It is cold here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. A lot of snow off on the east bench, a ton of snow up in the mountains. Good for the snow bros. I always want to watch out for the snow bros. Get in some chetta.
Speaker 1: Nope, I'm not gonna do the snowbro impersonation today.
Speaker 2: It's too early for that. It is the first storm of the year, at least down to the benches when you're kind of shoveling the walks a little bit. But as it is every single day, it's gonna have you along for the ride. Spence checkets beyond the mic. That's Porter Larson behind the glass on this Tuesday afternoon. Your weekend Pro football came to a closed last night with a little Monday Night football. The Dolphins took care of the rams, and now we're high speed ahead to week eleven, which still feels pretty crazy down the stretch. For your fantasy football seasons, you guys can playoff position. Well, if you're not you better start getting to her.
Speaker 1: Coming up Thursday night, it's gonna be the.
Speaker 2: Command and the Eagles from Lincoln Financial Field. Jayden Daniels taking on Jalen Hurts. Right now, Philly a three point five point favorite. We're gonna do a little pro football on the show today, look back on the week that was, and look out to the week that will be. On tuesdays of the week, the week, at least not our show. We still kind of exist in the space of what has happened, what just happened, as opposed to what's coming up, what happens next. So he a little more Utah byu rivalry game. I know a lot of people probably tired of it. Interested to hear coach with tonight on the Coaches Show right after we say goodnight at six o'clock. Kyle looked and sounded very tired yesterday on a Monday morning, which you would expect.
Speaker 1: Kilani satake, on.
Speaker 2: The other hand, for his media availability, very excited about what could be next for his team. Now Tonight will be the seconds reveal of the CFP poll, where will BYU Land.
Speaker 1: There's seven in the.
Speaker 2: And as of now they're nine in the College Football Pull I would imagine they move up Georgia loses, Miami loses. BYU is one of four undefeated teams left, and I believe one of three P four teams that are undefeated. Oregon, Indiana and Brigham Young the three undefeated teams. I believe Army is the fourth. So I would imagine they're going to move up tonight. Maybe seven would be my guest. I know BYU fans believe they should be higher, but that's just kind of the deal with that fan base. So you pad them on the head, say take care, truck along, put your shoulder to the wheel. So we'll find out tonight where BYU lands in the second Federation of the CFP poll, and of course bring that to you as it comes to us. So of course it's a big day.
Speaker 1: Everyone very excited.
Speaker 2: You can feel the buzz in the market as tonight is the triumphant return slash debut of the NBA Cup. That's right, the Phoenix are in town to take on the Utah Jazz. Kevin Durant will not play as he has a calf injury, but this.
Speaker 1: Is NBA Cup Group play. Guys.
Speaker 2: I know you've been waiting for it for a while it was called the play in Tournament a year ago, the Emitanus NBA Cup. It's kind of like a soccer European mid season tournament to try to give the players more motivation to play during the regular season, which is just going so well. Way to go, knock that out of the park. NBA ratings are in the toilet right now. A lot of that is probably because we are simply entrenched in football, both college and pro. But we'll do some pro basketball on the show tonight. We're gonna do some college basketball on the show as well, as we're kind of making our way into college basketball season. It's already started, and we'll do some Utah women's hoops with Lynn Roberts today on the show. The Utah Men in Action threight against Queen's College Baby, So a lot of college basketball already kind of permeating BYU will play Queen's tomorrow and then they have Idaho at home. They're gonna start kind of seeing what they're all about when Old Miss comes into town the day after Thanksgiving. Old misses the top twenty five team, so a lot to get to on the show today, latest with the rivalry game folloout the comments of Mark Harlan that continue to be heavily discussed both locally and nationally.
Speaker 1: Getting you ready for a busy weekend in.
Speaker 2: Pro and college football, NBA Cup, Utah Jazz Action. Tim McMahon will join us right out of the gates from ESPN for your NBA Daily assist, Max Chadwick Pro Football Focus for some pro and college football aforementioned, Glynn Roberts for some Utah women's hoops, and then our buddy, our old producer JP, John Paul Chunga, who now is wearing a bunch of different hats. He does a lot of the podcasting over for the Utah Jazz Podcast Network.
Speaker 1: He does the Utah Royals.
Speaker 2: He's the voice of the Royals, and this season it is the debut of JP as the voice of these Salt Lake City Stars. So our guy is busy, bringaman studio today to chat a little bit of everything quite frankly on this to on this Tuesday afternoon. So Tim McMahon, Max Chadwick, Lynn Roberts, J Peach Shanga, Me Spence checkets, all of you the great listeners. And that guy Porter Larson in a vest i took the vest off.
Speaker 1: He's wearing a Milwaukee Beer sweatshirt.
Speaker 2: But if it's cold and snowy outside, the vest is a handy thing to have in your repertoire, you gotta have it. Milwaukee power Tools, just to be very clear, Well, there's a Milwaukee beer and that I think your power tool company stole the Milwaukee beer kind of, Randy, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know about that, but it'll look into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's vest weather.
Speaker 4: So glad it's wintertime kind of but looking forward to the season, and as you mentioned, spent plenty to get to today, still reacting to what was a holy war that gave us fodder probably for weeks, months, however long it may take UH and some some college football to get to with the CFP rankings this afternoon, Jazz Basketball Hockey Club, Little RSL, maybe some soccer with JP as well. So we'll go all over the map on this wet and somewhat snowy You bury the.
Speaker 2: Lead, it's the NBA Cup today, it's the Emris NBA League Cup.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought you're gonna spend the entirety of the opening segment on that, so I wanted to leave the big story of the day to you. Of course, the defending champion Lakers in the NBA Cup.
Speaker 2: Before Lebron nine straight elimination games, undefeated, according to win Horror. So you go, my guys leaning into the propaganda so much. God bless them. ESPN NBA's partner. Do what you gotta do, But like, don't do that.
Speaker 1: It's not an elimination yet. It's not all right.
Speaker 2: Tim McMahon will join us right out of the gates to get you guys ready for the NBA Cup tonight.
Speaker 1: The Suns are in town.
Speaker 2: But before we get to, Tim, courtesy of our friends at Standard Restaurants supply. Standard Restaurant supply your tailgate headquarters get everything you need to make your tailgate epic. Standard carries everything from serving dishes start out, propane, portable barbecues.
Speaker 5: And the more.
Speaker 2: Check them out online at Standard Restaurant dot com or stop by their location at thirty five hundred south West Temple.
Speaker 1: I'm now on a Tuesday for your opening tip.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check it's on Utah's number one Sports talk. Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show.
Speaker 1: The opening tip of the.
Speaker 6: Drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurant Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply thirty five hundred Southwest Temple.
Speaker 2: So Tuesday for us is still kind of a reactionary style. When it comes to the show Wednesday, we kind of start to turn the page about what's coming up as far as this weekend and pro and college football, But ultimately we're kind of still in the space where we're looking back, kind of reflecting on what exactly happened on Saturday night on a number of different levels, and yesterday we kind of covered all of them. We talked about the flow of the game, you know, we talked to Scott Mitchell about what happened in the second half where Utah just couldn't move the football.
Speaker 1: There are some injury rumors out.
Speaker 2: There, but because it has not been officially announced by the U, I can't go with them. But if they're true, two or three other pieces outside of bran Keithy were lost for the season on Saturday against Brigham Young, making the challenge the lies ahead even that much more difficult unfortunately, but again, until they're actually announced by the school and the athletic department. It's not necessarily something I feel comfortable talking about.
Speaker 1: If we get information, we'll bring it to you.
Speaker 2: But you know, we cover this thing from every single angle, exactly how it went down, why it went down, special teams touchdown allowed by the University of Utah, the controversial fourth down holding call that extended the game, Klonie's time out, you know that ultimately gave BYU another chance, and then landing. You know, at the end of the day on the comments that were made by Mark Harlin after the game, the University of vut To athletic director saying the BYU game was stolen from them. And we've talked about it. Everybody's talked about it. It's not necessarily anything that I want to dig into, and I don't think Mark should continue to be hit over the head with it.
Speaker 1: I'll repeat what I said yesterday.
Speaker 2: I don't know this because I've not talked to Mark, but it was a surprising moment for a guy that, in my experience with him over the past few years, both on and off air, seems very smart, very measured, very calculated, very careful, and it was the exact opposite of all of those things. It was careless, it was emotional, it was the wrong way to go about it, and honestly, the first time I heard it, my first thought was he's going to be in a lot of trouble because of who Brett. Your Mark is the commissioner of the Big Twelve, who is a Northeast sports and business executive, who is a cutthroat guy. And so when I heard the forty thousand dollars fine and the public reprimand I'll be honest, I was relieved. I don't want to see Mark loses his job, and all of you that are calling for him to lose his job pump the breaks quote. I've been an athletic director for twelve years. The game was absolutely stolen from us. We were excited about being in the Big Twelve. But tonight I am not we won this game. Someone else stole it from us. I'm very disappointed. I will talk to the commissioner. This is not fair to our team. I'm disgusted by the professionalism of the officiating crew tonight. Ultimately, my whole thing on this is like what motivated Mark to do it in the moment. Athletic directors don't typically talk after games. He did not have to take the mic. So why did he want to take the mic?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And there are probably several different scenarios. The most reductive and simple one is he was mad and he was emotional and he wanted to send a message. But in those moments, those are the times. And this is not a sport thing. This is just simply how you have to roll if you want to exist in this little.
Speaker 1: Blue marble rolling around in the middle of nowhere, if.
Speaker 2: You want to be part of the simulation part of the situation, those are things that you have to learn to temper in the most heightened of emotions, like the most destructive things. I certainly can you point to in my life for things that I've done or said when I've been angry or emotional.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've been wronged. Right, We all want to lash out if.
Speaker 2: We feel like we've been wronged, if we feel like we've been cheated, if we feel like somebody has taken something that we have earned. So you understand that, and you should have some grace for that, because I'm sure who amongst us has not had that emotional outburst and emotional moment that has led to regret yours probably wasn't on camera, right, but I'm sure you can relate to it and probably wish that you had a mulligan. I have several of those, and I'm sure Mark, as I said yesterday, without knowing this, I have not talked to him, but without knowing this, my guess is Mark would very much like it do over and would very much like a mulligan.
Speaker 1: Now, that's not how life works.
Speaker 2: And when you say or do certain things that are out of line or not necessarily the way you should roll, you pay for them, and sometimes you pay for them harshly, and sometimes it takes a lot of time to come back from them.
Speaker 1: I mean I can speak to that. Certainly.
Speaker 2: Mark releases a statement the day after and after he had spoken with bre your Mark. I'm sure the commissioner gently encouraged Mark to release something, and I think the statement fell short. He said quote last night, following our game against BYU, I made clear my feelings related to the game officiating. However, I recognize there are more appropriate times and avenues to express those concerns, and I accept the consequences of my decision. My comments came after having just left our locker room where our student athletes were hurting and upset.
Speaker 1: University of Utah is proud to be.
Speaker 2: A member of the Big Twelve Conference and we look forward to working with our peers to continue to enhance the league BYU Coach Ataki and their coaches and student athletes are having a terrific, terrific season, and we wish them the very best.
Speaker 1: Fell short of the Mark no pun intended there.
Speaker 2: I mean, ultimately, it really is missing two words, and that is I'm sorry. And I do have to wonder where Taylor Randall is on this. I do have to wonder where Booster's alumni and donors are on.
Speaker 1: This, And I honestly don't know. I'm just wondering out loud.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, Like I said the whole like he should lose his job. Crowd all right, Like tell me you don't really know how the world works. Without telling me you don't know how the world works, Like Mark has a good reputation from what I can tell, I honestly can't speak to it. And by the way, we didn't bring this on air yesterday, but this was the statement of the Big Twelve the next day, after deciding how they were going to roll, he said quote, and I don't know if this is the commissioner.
Speaker 1: This is simply from the Big Twelve quote.
Speaker 2: Mark's comments irresponsibly challenged the professionalism of our officials and the integrity of the Big Twelve Conference.
Speaker 1: There's a right way and a wrong way to voice concerns.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, Mark chose the wrong way accordingly, in violation, warrants, a public reprimand, and a financial penalty found out that was forty thousand dollars. The Big Twelve Conference prioritizes professionalism, integrity, in fairness and will continue will continue to do so.
Speaker 1: Excuse me.
Speaker 2: And there's some language in there that indicates the portion of Mark's comments that most set Brett your Mark off, and that is basically challenging the professionalism and therefore the integrity of the officials and then tying those criticisms directly to the Big Twelve Conference, because then you're trying to undermine the conference, and then you're going to run foul of the commissioner and again a guy who is just simply no nonsense. And so those essentially are the dynamics of this thing that I think really irk the Big Twelve the most. And like I said, I honestly thought it was gonna be worse. When I saw the news as far as what they had decided to do, I was relieved because I thought Mark was going to be a lot of trouble. But as we look back on this game, you know, it's funny. As the years pass and you have the emotional look back on Utah BYU football games, you only need to say, like one name.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, doink.
Speaker 2: Off the crossbar block kicks Brandon Burton, Beck to Harling. Right, you can be reductive, Scott Mitchell, Eddie Johnson, you can be reductive of a lot of these games and call them the Brandon Burton block game, right, the Brett Ratliffe holy bleep game.
Speaker 1: In ten years, this is going to be the Mark Harling game.
Speaker 2: And of course people will talk about the holding penalty and the controversial, you know allowance for Brigham Young to have another shot to move down the field, which to their credit, they did and kick the game winning field goal. But as this thing kind of continues to permeate throughout both local and national college football news, like everybody is chiming in on this. Terry McAuley, an official ex official, chimed in on it and essentially said it's a foul period end of story. Joe Klatt has a more nuanced look at it and thinks there's a lot to be upset about when it comes to the lack of consistency as far as how the game was called, and brings up the fact that Jake Rht's laugh wasn't even looking in the direction of the receiver and it was not your Maane to the outcome of the play, and Jake essentially was sacked.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of different takes on that, but it seems like the take on what Marquet to say after the game is pretty unanimous. And I do think whether he meant to do it or not, he has now stamped his name in BYU Utah history and he will look back, you know, we will look back on this game. Has denied that the utaied decided to take to Mike. All right, I want to tell you about my friends, a clear Water Distillion, the only distillery in Utah County open on Sunday is Great Spirits Tasting Room and the nicest crew around. Right now, they have their limited release Wednesday whiskey Batch number two, a mix of their bourbon and Rye whiskeys. Try their scandal Us the Renee or their vodka in most state liquor stores. There are vip ESPN Tailgate craft cocktail provider, so check out the Tailgate schedule of Torrent tasting in their Victorian Tasting Room. It makes a great date night or fought activity anytime. They've got a grown up version of cinnamon whiskey. They have ultra premium spirits. You can buy their spirits and stay liquor stores online or take a trip to their beautiful distillery. Get more information online at Clearwaterdistilling dot com.
Speaker 6: Next on the Drive, Tim McMahon dropping dimes for your NBA Daily assists.
Speaker 7: Van McMahon, Van mcman batted a Land, Texas flood as sicke as Mudy and Man.
Speaker 8: Van McMahon, Vancman, the man, the.
Speaker 2: Rain and the snow coming down rather heavily in Salt Lake this afternoon.
Speaker 1: It is chilly, it is cold. Well, I'll tell you what. It's only gonna be hot downtown tonight. See what I did there.
Speaker 2: League's cop Baby. The NBA Cup starts tonight. Group play The Phoenix Suns are in town. An NBA up enthusiasts and great overall guy and rider. Tim mcmanon is our guest on a Tuesday. Hello Tim, how are you, sir gowdy partner?
Speaker 9: I am doing all right. I am outside looking over the bay here in San Francisco. Nice a little bit of a chillney air, but nice sunny day. Some boats in the water, none that have Craig Thompson as captain. But here we go.
Speaker 2: So you are in an area where there's actually an interesting game tonight. We'll get there in a moment, but before we start, what should our listeners know, Tim about the newly branded NBA Cup.
Speaker 1: Last year it was the playing tournament.
Speaker 2: The group play starts tonight and the Sons are in town to play the Jazz.
Speaker 9: The n season tournament. Last year, the play in tournament's a whole separate deal in season Jazz after the Jazz have tried very hard to avoid the playing tournament the last years. I don't think that'll be such a problem this year. I mean, you know, same concept, new courts, you know, new new sponsor, and what is it I mean to pronounce it, To be honest with you, I think that might be right. Well, Dan, I guess I didn't know how to pronounce it. Oh well, I'll tell you what. By the end of this NBA Cup season, I certainly will know. And so that's that's marketing do and it's it's best. But you know, hey, five hundred and grand on the line per player for teams that win the whole tame. But you know, I actually like the concept because it does give a little something different during the season. But it's not completely outside of the regular season. Obviously, until the championship game. All these games count towards the regular season standing, so you can't have teams just decide to kind of punt these. It's funny though, because I mentor or I was talking to one of the Magic staffer's day and they kind of mentioned they said, yeah, the one of the best things that happened for us last year was we didn't make it to Vegas in the a in season Tourney, and their two replacement games or filling angel, well, you know whatever, the two games that you get they played the Trailblazers in the Jazz last year and were able to win those was pretty significantly. So it is a little confusing when you look at this at the schedule, whether for the whole league or just for teams and there's kind of a gap of TBD there in the middle of December.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't care how much money you make. Five hundred k is not nothing. But I wonder in your conversations throughout the league, players, coaches, front office exacts, is there genuine excitement for this thing?
Speaker 1: Do they feel like it's being forced upon them?
Speaker 2: I mean, what's kind of the feeling around the NBA as far as how teams feel about the NBA Cup.
Speaker 9: I haven't heard a lot of complaining about it. I don't know if there's just a ton of excitement, you know, like five hundred grand in a trip to Vegas. I think all NBA players like both of those things, so they prefer to win it than not. But I don't get the sense of it's like something that I don't know that they're like circling these games on their calendars. Oh, these are NBA Cup games, and you know, there's been a whole lot of sextra motivation. But like I said, also, i've not heard any any real complaint. There was some grip in last year about the courts. You know, they're they're not quite as loud, But like we'll see if there's issues as far as uh, you know, the the surface well you know what they're slipping and those sorts of things. But honestly, those are the only complaints that I heard was that the courts from the courts were go slippery last year.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I mean, I mean, look, the bottom line is, and we'll move on from the NBA Cup after this. Like this is something that pro basketball, in my opinion, has always been very good at, and that is being willing to look at dynamics and try new things and see if they stick. And and this is essentially isn't this Adams Baby.
Speaker 1: Isn't this Adam Silver's thing?
Speaker 2: Like this is one of the things that he kind of talked about very early on as really a copy of the European soccer model, the FA Cup and such, which I know you're a big fan of.
Speaker 1: But this is to me, this is.
Speaker 2: One cool Well it's one of the cool things about the NBA. They're willing to kind of try these different things and kind of see if they work.
Speaker 9: No, this is definitely an Adam Silver creation. I thought the courts last year actually were a very sharp marketing tactic because hey, it got people those courts got people talking about the NBA during the middle of football season, and that's not always the easiest thing to do. And then you know, last year the semi finals and finals were rating success and for being honest though, they also got extremely and there was a success in terms of like the arena being full of all that. They got extremely lucky that the Lakers just happened to win the first one of these. And you know, if the Lakers don't make it and it's you know, the Phoenix Suns, they're the Denver Nuggets. I think it could be a very different field this year. But we'll see.
Speaker 2: So let's move over, excuse me, let's move over to where you're at tonight bike rides with Balkan music. Tim, I didn't expect to wake up and see Tim mcmhon story referencing Balkan music. And you wrote about Clay and Clay is back in the Bay to see the Warriors for the first time. So we'll get to the jazz in a minute, but this is far more interesting for basketball fans.
Speaker 1: Tell us about, you know, kind of.
Speaker 2: The story you wrote, and then ultimately where Clay's head is at as he gets gets ready to play his old team Tonight in the Bay.
Speaker 9: Yeah, as a Dallas based NBA writer, I've actually become pretty familiar with Balkan music. I'm a guy, you know, Luca likes his Balkan music, and when he comes out to warm up, that's what's playing on the American Airlines centers. About five minutes into Clay Thompson the barnlopt so, you know, just kind of an example of adjustment to Clay's making. He does he did not bring a boat to Dallas. You know, I didn't have a boat. Doctor one of the lakes. He takes his you know, he goes on the occasional bike to get a little look at the water. But that's that. And you know, the since I really get from Clay. I talked to him a little while with that story and just kind of haven't been around him so far this season is he does not want everything to be about him being the former Warrior Klay Thompson. You know, he wants it to be about a starter for a team that thinks it can be a contender. He's very focused on now and like you know that a night in Denver, he was asked about, Hey, you know what, you know, what does this mean for you, and he basically he said, I just to it's you know, it'd be cool to see people, but it's really just another regular season game November. And then he kind of admitted, Okay, you know there's a little something extra here. It's an NBA Cup opener. I mean, like, come on, So he's really trying to put you know, put up the stoic face. Didn't talk to media after practice here yesterday or after shoot around, like he's trying not to feed into all the pomp and circumstances. And there's going to be a lot of it. You know, they've got these captain Clay had given out. Steph curR is going to make a speech at the mid court. They're all gonna, you know, tip their caps to them, like the whole crowd. There's gonna be a video. And the people with the Warriors that obviously know Clay very welcome over the year, they think he'll crack. They think Clay is going to shed a tear. But it is certainly his goal to just be focused on hoopon the night and you know, we'll see how that goes.
Speaker 2: And this is always interesting to me because look, I mean, he won four rings there and he went from you know, a late lottery maybe a decent spot up shooter to one of potentially, not potentially, one of the greatest shooters the game's ever seen. Like when Clay Thompson is in Springfield, he will have a Warrior jersey on, There's no doubt about it. But ultimately, you know, you heard rumors like, well, maybe the Warriors are still interested in running it back one more time and until Steph decides he's done with Clay, Clay comes back, and then you heard, you know, his dad made these comments about wanting him to be a Laker, and we know that that's where Clay grew up.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, what landed Klay Thompson on Dallas him.
Speaker 9: Or Clay decided that he was going to go ahead and be the one who called at his time and the Bay was done. And look, they had the extension talks before last season. Two years forty seven million was what was being discussed. Whether it was put on the table or not, I guess kind of depends on who you asked, But it wasn't the deal that he was going to take. You know, Draymond got four years, one hundred. He didn't feel like they were making the same kind of commitment to him that they had to Draymond, that they had even to Andrew Wiggins. So last year there's like this black cloud hoping over in the whole time, he felt the weight of knowing in his heart it was probably going to be his last year. And then I think there was a little crack there, and then they prioritized trying to get like a Paul George signed trade down his bas like, if I'm not the priority, I'm out. And then for him it became okay, where do I have the best chance to win a championship? And he felt like, especially watching the Mavericks in the finals, where their lack of three point shooting alongside their stars really bit them the butt, he felt like he could come and be kind of that, you know, that last piece that the Mavericks needed, and we'll see how that goes. But he does not want to be a chem Olajaan in a Toronto Raptors uniform, right He wants this last chapter of his career to be meaningful, to be competitive, and he thought Dallas was the best spot for him do that.
Speaker 2: So, drawing any conclusion of this league after ten games as a fool's errand but Dallas after going to the finals last year and a lot of people's picked to potentially represent the West again. Oka, see just lost Chad. We'll get there in a moment. But they are five and five, they're five hundred. So how's the Clay experience god so far in Dallas.
Speaker 9: You know, it started out really well. I mean, he really shot on the first few games. It's been a little bit bumpy since then. You know, like you said to me, Jerk after ten games would be a little bit silly. And but the simple fact of the matter is we've yet to see Luca play at the level that we're accustomed to from him, which is, you know, firmly in the MVP conversation, he's not been that guy. And you know, when Luke's playing at that level, everything else looks a whole lot better. And so I think if you talk about what's not been right with the Mavericks, I think you start with lucas yet to play, you know, to the standard that he has set. And then you know, they're five and five. Now, Derek Lively missed the last four games of Ust. Three of those four he's back tonight. That's another major piece. You know, I guess I'm spending a whole lot of words here to say that I think Madix will very much be in the thick of things come April.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I agree with that.
Speaker 2: I mean, Luca is just too good, and I'm sure he'll coast and then he's turn it on, you know the way that we've seen him, do they They do see a warrior team tim at a start of the year eight and two, and they have the second best net in the West and Steve is playing like twelve dudes every night. What has Golden State figured out early on on what's Dallas up against tonight?
Speaker 9: Well, and you know the amazing thing is they did that with Stephnu's in a handful of games. You know, when he had the forgot what fancy term they use for the ankle area, but you know he had that entry and man like, you got to give Mike Dunley some credit for the way that they kind of pivoted this offseason. You know, no one claims out the door they weren't able to get the Paul Georgis thing to obviously, they're the conversations with the jazzbel Larry markin and never really picked up any kind of steam. But to bring in Buddy Heald, who has been absolutely phenomenal for them. You know, Dancony Melton when he's healthy, really helps them. Kyle Anderson has been a contributor. And then look when Draymond was on the court last year, the Warriors were pretty damn good. He just because of his own stupidity, missed a bunch of games last year. And so you know, I don't know if I think it's a little bit early to say that the Warriors will be contenders in the West, but I don't think we can loule out that possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again super early.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start with the opponent tonight for the Jazz as the Sun's rolling to town playing good basketball at eating too. But Durant I think is out. He's definitely out tonight. I think he's out for a couple of weeks with the CAF strain. Yeah, so obviously that changes who they are. But what should Jazz fans know? Because these days a lot of fans are going to the arena to watch the other team, which I get, So what are we going to see tonight in the Phoenix Suns?
Speaker 9: Yeah, and obviously, no, KD is a bummer, and you know that was a weird one because he actually strained that in the fourth quarter and there in Dallas. I was at the game, I was in the Sun's locker room. Afterwards, I talked to KD. He didn't get extra treatment. He was in good spirits, who wasn't limping around, And the next thing you know, he's out for at least a couple of weeks. So I guess it was a little soreness, and then it acted up on him the next day and they got it checked out. But look, they still have two MAX players, obviously, Bradley Beal and Devin Booker. And Booker is another guy was off to a slow start by his staying theres. At some point, you know he's going to have one of these nights where you know, he's sixteen of twenty two or whatever, and you know, we've seen Booker getting these crazy shot making grooves, you know, don't I don't know if jazz fans do or do not hope that it's at the expense of the jazz. At this point, it's a kind of a confusing time as far as that goes. And you know what the other thing that they that's interesting about Phoenix is roy O'Neil's playing extremely well, and obviously that's the guy that Jazz fans know quite well. He's really settled into a nice role for them, shooting the ball extremely well. You know, he's playing solid defenses he's done for years, and they love this rookie Ryan Dunn, who was considered a phenomenal defensive prospect who could not shoot to save his life. He shut the ball pretty damn well so far in the NBA. You know, you see the work he's put in this summer. So yeah, the Suns are an interesting team. I kind of put them in the same group of the Warriors, of all the contenders, and they you know, they only win clutch games. They don't blow anybody out, but they're off the heck of a start.
Speaker 2: Well, the red hot Utah Jazz have won two of three games tim, so you know, ultimately, let's lean into that. And without being facetious, I do think with a group of really really young players and a head coach who I'm sure every night feels like he's walking into a gym completely up against it, well, I have no issue if they lose every game because I understand what's going on, I get what time it is, and I understand the uh, you know the necessity of the pain. I do think experiencing some success here or there kind of put some wind in these young players' sales.
Speaker 1: At least there's that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, No, I think you can't. I mean, you really don't want to have like double figure losing streaks and like you didn't, especially to start the season. You don't want to be oh in you know, eleven or twelve or fifteen or just whatever, just because that is such a waight and it I think it has a major negative impact on development when there's that level of misery and when you feel like there's no reward for all the work that's being put in. And so look, we understand the Jazz aren't going to win a lot of games this year, but but you know, you don't want it to be a fourteen win season, and you want to see, you know, these young players, you want to see proof that what they're doing is paying off. You want to see development. You know, you want to see progress, and so you know, to be able to pull out a couple of wins and again, I you know they're going to be very much in the mix for the number one overall pick. We all understand that, and frankly that's the plane, but that completely bottom out to do that now, I.
Speaker 2: Like you just kind of see to the draft guys as far as who these players are. So I know you don't cover the draft yourself, but we are going to revisit this throughout the course of the season because college basketball has tipped off. It's now here and obviously Cooper Flag is playing for Duke, so we're gonna be like the funnest things now as a Jazz fan is just to check mock drafts, and a lot of them have the Jazz is one of the top two picks. Like Gavoni released his stuff today, So just I know you're not a scout. Tell our listeners though, what you are hearing about the type of pro Cooper Flag could be.
Speaker 9: Yeah, backs for home. My colleague had a really good story on Cooper Flag yesterday and I learned that I'm pretty sure I played against Cooper Flag's main AAU coach when I was in high school. Wow, I was That was one of the major things that took from that. I don't know that anybody else cares necessarily. But like the question with Cooper Flag is is he going to be a guy who could be a primary score because as far as everything else goes, like, dude, this is going to He's a six foot nine, multi position, high intensity, high level defensive player. You're going to see it, like you know, this is a guy he's going to have. He's going to be a five by five direct cause he's going to block shots, He's going to get steals, He's a phenomenal pass We've got that kind of feel. He's a super athlete. I think the ability to create shots and kind of the overall shooting that those are the questions. But you know, again, so I don't know if he's going to be like a number one offensive option, but he's going to be a guy who can help you win games in a whole lot of different ways.
Speaker 2: All Right, before I say you loose, I got to get your take on what Chats injury means for OKC. I mean, Shay just went for forty five in the first game without him, and they're still really deep and I'm sure they're gonna tread water, and it looks like he'll be reevaluated in ten to twelve weeks, So maybe it isn't catastrophic, but they were off to such a fun not just a successful start, fun start, fun team to watch at nine and two, and Chat's going to be out for a while.
Speaker 1: What do you think this means for OKC?
Speaker 9: I mean they were off to a dominant start, and they were the best defensive team that we have seen in a while, you know, in several years in the NBA. And you know, Chet was to me the early front runner to be Defensive Player of the Year. Uh, certainly on the path to being an All Star. But they're gonna win plenty of games about him. They've had to kind of get through these next whatever. It's going to be two or three weeks before Hartenstein's are ready to make his Thunder debut. He's still recovering from that hand that he broke in their preseason finale, and obviously then you know they won't have to play small as they are right now. But I think Chet is expected to be back, you know, well before the playoffs. Really what this does, though, is they're pushing back the entire experimental timetable as far as do Chett and hart and Sanging, how much would they play together? What's the rotation look like? How much of their minute staggered? Those guys aren't going to play together at all until you know, I don't know, probably maybe the All Star Breaks sometime around there, and so well, you know, that's a big slumer. I still think if you ask me who would I bet on being the number one seed in the Western Conference, I still would pick Oklahoma City. I just wouldn't be as confident obviously as I was before show went down.
Speaker 2: All right, Tim, thanks for the time, man. Enjoy that game. Should be a fun atmosphere and we'll chat soon.
Speaker 9: I appreciate it, brother.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Tim McMahon covers the NBA for ESPN. He is the Jazz reporter for ESPN. He's out here quite a bit when the Jazz are a serious team, which they're not right now. He's on Twitter at ESPN and underscore McMahon. Klay Thompson is back in the Bay Area to take on the Warriors.
Speaker 1: The Jazz welcome in the Phoenix Suns.
Speaker 2: So the injury report as of now we know Duran is out looks like Keyante is a game time decision, but expected to play. Walker Kessler on the injury report, I have right now is listed as out.
Speaker 1: The last game we saw Walker.
Speaker 2: Did play nineteen minutes against San Antonio, got the start, had to leave, so I haven't heard anything official there. I'm just trying to figure out who would start tonight if Walker's not going to play. Last game, it was marketing, Cody Williams, Walker Kessler calling sex and Isaiah Callier.
Speaker 1: My guess is Caller goes to the bench with.
Speaker 2: Keyante back and I guess John Collins is your starting center unless will goes with Drew you Banks Jazz basketball. It's fantastic and BA Cup debuts tonight. All right, we'll get to some pro football college football with Max Chadwick coming up on the other side. We're gonna bring in Lynn Roberts today, some Utah women's hoops JP Changa live in studio in the four o'clock hour.
Speaker 1: We'll go from there. NBA Daily Assist is.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by About Time Pub, Utah's premier sports bar. Amazing food, killer cocktails, make bout Time your place for sports or even brunch. All food made from scratch, and they have new mocktails for those of you who don't partake in alcohol. More TVs than tables all about time. TVs have their own receiver, so we have all the games going live with free high speed Wi Fi. Makes a great place to quote work from home. It's fallen almost winter, it's basically winters. Keep out Tom Pub in mind for any upcoming holiday parties. Locations Ogden, Layton, West Valley, West Jordan, Sandy, Tuila, Harriman, Bluffdale, Lehi and Vineyard, Utah Sports Bar celebrating the fifteen year anniversary in how smoked wings fresh made from scratch food. We're gonna bring on Lynn Roberts later on today talk some Utah Women's basketball. JP Chunger will be live in studio for the four o'clock hour. The Kyle Wingham Coaches Show comes your way tonight at six o'clock. SMIs Snowden will be there. Sean O'Connell filling in for Bill Riley. Tonight, let's do some college football, some Pro football now with our buddy Max Chadwick from PFF.
Speaker 1: Max. Happy Tuesday, man, How you doing good?
Speaker 9: How you guys doing good?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 1: Appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: Obviously, it was a chaotic weekend here in Salt Lake City with the rivalry game as Brigham Young rolled up to Salt Lake and went back to Provo with the win. So now, simply put, BYU is undefeated, their number seven in the AP. We'll get to the CFP release tonight. But what did you make of a very dramatic night in Salt Lake City on Saturday night?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it just seems like by use a team of destiny, It doesn't it? Right now? Guys, right over the Oklahoma State game, they had the game winning drive. Nobody thought they they would win that game. Obviously had another game winning drive against Utah on that one. You know, every great college football team obviously has got to be a good team first and foremost, but also you gotta have a little magic as well, and I think BYU is starting to capture that magic a little bit. And yeah, I think what they've done this year is incredible, and I think, you know, seventh and eight people is way way too low for what they've done this year. Resume wise, I personally haven't number three in my ranking because I think right now, at this point of the season, you've got to be ranking off of their resume and not in terms of, oh, how good you think a team is.
Speaker 2: So that leads me to the CFP release tonight. B YU rolled in at nine last week. I've viewed that as a damning indictment of the Big Twelve Conference as a whole. And Max, I don't think they're going to be higher than six or seven tonight.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: Where when the release happens tonight, where do you think Breaking Me Young ends up?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I'm with you. I think you know, the AP is probably you know, gonna be around where they had it at, you know, which is the seventh overall. Like I said, I very much vehemanly disagree with it. I mean, just look at what they've done this year.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 10: They beat SMU, who's still fighting for a playoffs pot right now, is one of the top playoff contenders. Maybe could even win the ACC this year the way is going. And they also beat Kansas State, who's still fighting for a playoffs pot as well, maybe Kansastate by twenty nine points, right, se'd be two teams that are easily top twenty teams in college football are now and will be in the top twenty of the CFP rankings tonight. You look at a resume like Texas for example, what have they done this year?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 10: Their best win is against Vanderbilt and they beat them by three points. Other than that, like they beat a Michigan team's most six and six this year, they're they beat an Oklahoma team is probably go five and seven this year, Like Texas does not have the big wins like BYU does right now. And Texas, by the way, has a loss this year as well, think the BYU has not had yet. So I think BYU at minimum should be number three in my opinion, but they're gonna be a lot lower than that's And I bet you know.
Speaker 2: The other issue with the low ranking, certainly last week at nine and we'll see what happens tonight, is it does feel like the and I'm sure it's a combination of the CFP committee, powerful television executives and everybody involved in this entire thing. Uh And there look, brand bias is real. That's not new, it always has been. It's not a breaking news situation as far as how these things are analyzed. But I feel like there's still a scenario in playmax where Brigham Young could win their final three games, enter the Big twelve championship game at twelve and zero and lose to like Colorado or whoever and potentially be left out of the CFP.
Speaker 1: Tell me your thoughts on that.
Speaker 10: That would be criminal. That'd be absolutely criminal if they were left out. And I'm with you though, I think it's not a it's not out that far out there. I think it's certainly a possibility. But that'd be criminal because then all of a sudden, your BYU, you can to make the arman like, Okay, why would we be playing the Big twelve title game in the first place. Then, you know, if we're twelve and oh, and all that can happen for us is to miss the playoff, we lose, we might as well as not playing it right and then just go in as an at large team. Beau, they would be at large team at twelve and h So that to me would be criminal if they're twelve and oh, no matter what happens in the playoff in the Big twelve Championship game, now, the Big dwal title game will determine whether or not b YU gets a buye in the first round. In my opinion, but I do not think that, you know, if they're twelve and oh, they're making the playoffs no matter what, even if they win or lose that game.
Speaker 2: So as you reference it certainly feels like a team of destiny either four and oh in one score games. They've had miracle wins on four three three occasions for sure, if not four. But they've answered every question thrown at them when you dig into b YU, what what are they most elite at? And what areas do you still have questions about as far as what makes them who they are.
Speaker 10: Honestly, what makes them so elite is the fact that they don't really have any glaring weaknesses right now. Right There isn't really one thing like Miami is clearly like okay, that's cam Ward right carrying this team b YU. This is really not a lot that they are you know, weak at right now. And I think that's what's been so good with the team is that, Hey, if one part of their team is off on any given week, they have a multitude of ways they can win games. And honestly, the best teams in college football, and the best teams in football in general and in sports in general, are the teams that could win in the most ways possible. Right in case one thing's have worked out, you have something else to fall back on, right so that to me, it's been what's most impressed a byt b YU this year is they're really playing great complimentary team football. Obviously, Jake Redslop his improvement has been unbelievable and he's been maybe the most improved quarterback in college football this year. But that to me is the biggest strength of BYU right now is that they don't really have too many glaring weaknesses.
Speaker 2: I saw on your Twitter page you had a chance to sit down with Jake recently. I wonder what that conversation was like and what stands out most to you about how much he's improved.
Speaker 10: That actually was an amazing interview because I don't know if you if you know this, but that whole ranking Jake hold up of the picture of him holding up the ranking of having him as the worst quarterback in the Big Twelve entering the year, and he used as motivation and ESPNS and flashing that graphic all the time. That actually was made by my co host dln Wasson with that ranking right, So having him on the show was really funny. You know, we made dal Nie Crow a little bit which is very funny as well, and Jake was such an amazing support about it, but you could tell that he is always looking for the next chip on his shoulder. Honestly, you mentioned the betting odds and how UCF was somehow a favorite over BYU. He didn't really understand that. He's like, Man, I love being the underdog. I've been an underwreck my whole wife. You know, I went to Juco, I came out of Juco. Obviously, you guys rank me as the worst quarterback in the Big twelm. I'm trying to ProView wrong. I'm trying to prove everyone wrong right now. And I think that's what really stood out to be the most is that this is a kid that is always, always looking for the next chip on his shoulder and always wants to be the underdog in every situation possible.
Speaker 2: So they have Kansas Max coming up on or coming up on Saturday. It's a late kickdown in pro vot It's an eight to fifteen kick. And Kansas was one of those teams before the season that a lot of people thought could be like a sneaky contending team, and it didn't turn out that way. However, they've been better as of late. They smoke Houston, and Houston has been beating some good teams, namely Utah. They probably should have won in Manhattan over k State, but they lost, and then they hung forty five on Iowa State, and BYU into Saturday as a three point favorite over Kansas. What do you think happens in Provo on Saturday night?
Speaker 10: Yeah? I think I would warn BYU fans just don't look at the record too much with Kansas. Right, Obviously, they're three and six on the year. It doesn't really look great on paper. But at the same time, only one of their six losses was by more than six points this year, right, so they've basically been playing one possession games and being on the wrong end of.
Speaker 9: Them a lot.
Speaker 10: Now, this is a lot better team. They're probably the best three and six team in comfortable. I don'tink it's really your net cards been there, honestly. So Kansas is a dangerous team, and you saw it last week against Iowa State. Obviously they're a very dangerous team that's not seem to look over too much. How do I think b Y is still gonna win the game? Yes, I do, But I do want to caution BYU fans from overlooking them just because they're three and six records. They are a lot better than that record indicate.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to Saturday night as by you rolled up here then rolled out of town with a win, and you know the deal man. All the controversy after the game about the holding call on fourth and ten as Jake was about to be sacked and there was a wide receiver split out left, and you know, the hot takes have been widespread. The opinions all are all over the place. You have a lot of people that did say it's a foul period, like Terry McCauley. You have a lot of people like Joel Klatt saying it's complicated because of the lack of consistency with officiating. I don't know if you noticed, Utah's athletic director wasn't thrilled about it, and the head coach wasn't either as a chair or was accosted by coach went after his presser. First of all, your opinion on the call, and then your take on the reaction after the game.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think the call was it was fifty fifty. I personally thought it was the right call. Honestly, I think there's enough there to throw the flag on that one, and I'll see if you're BYU. Absolutely if you're Utah, Like, if you're a Utah fan, I'd be more upset with the way your team performed than just one penalty call, right if you leave it up to the refs, like, that's on you, honestly, and listen, in Utah scored twenty one points in the second quarter, they just score any points and the other three quarters combined, right, So I think that's really what you should be looking at, right there is that you know, really, for fifteen minutes you played great football. The other forty five minutes you did not, honestly, So that's me. That's what I think is most disappointing part for the Utah fans. They're lost, but obviously they always look for a scapegoat, and that penalty call at the end of the game is a pretty easy one. I thought it was the right call personally, I understand people who don't think it was the right call. That was very very close, But I don't think that was the biggest reason why they lost the game. Honestly. I think there's a lot of other reasons why Utah just did not put a why BYU.
Speaker 2: So Mark Carlin after the game with some very spirited comments. I wonder what you make of those comments and the reaction of the Big twelve to find him forty k and then give him a public reprimand Max.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was I've never seen that suctor to do that before, right, that was first of all, it was very rare. Do you see that fleck arctor after a game do his own press conference. I don't even think Utah was planning on that. I think he just went through the podium and started talking. Honestly, he had something to get off his chest, clearly. Yeah, obviously it wasn't a great look. And anytime you started accusing a conference of you know, rigging the game when you're in a flectator in the conference, that's not a very good look. So the fine and the reprimand the reprimanding, that was not a very big surprise to me. I'll based off those comments again, that to me wasn't a great look for Utah as the Flex department. I understand their frustration. I understand it was a very very close falcohol and I understand uh, you know, being upset about that, But I just I don't think as about pleasure, that's something that fans can say, if you're an A D, you can't be going out to the media and saying those kinds of things. So I completely understand the fine and everything that happened afterwards.
Speaker 2: So to pan back, you know, of course, and you and I have talked all season long, and I continue to believe that you really can be as reductive as saying Cameron Rising was never right this year, and that's changed everything. But at this point, with five straight losses, it feels like it's a lot more than just one position. Although coach Wit always talks about the effect that Cameron has on his teammates, and we've seen it here in saw Lake firsthand, and when he's right, when he's healthy, for whatever reason, his presence simply does lift the group.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what great leaders do.
Speaker 2: But it can't be the only thing to blame when you've lost five straight, You've only won one conference game, and Vegas thought you were going to win it, The media thought you were going to win it, and certainly youth fans were very very front facing about their belief that they were going to win it too. Why do you think we're sitting here in Saul Lake with a four and five team overall with a one in five record in conference play.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think a SARTs at quarterback, you know, right now, I think Utah is the worst pass and grade in the entire power for I just don't think they had too much of a plan if cam eris and got hurt again, which is not great considering he's a guy's very very injury prone obviously, So Isaac Wilson is a true freshman, wasn't really ready to go out there and performing. And Brandon Rose deal has did actually an admirable job, I thought in that Bayu game overall, but he's not obviously a star quarterback either. It's just they don't have a lot long offensively right now. The receiving corps as well, like braand Keith, he's not done for the year. They didn't really have much at wide receiver either. It'd be really too concerned with either. So that I also thought the front seven for Utah is just not as good as years passed. Honestly, they obtously lost the big time players like Jonah Ellis to the draft and they just didn't have much replace and was so they struggled in their front seven as well. Yeah, it's it's been a all on the team. I would say he can't really put it up blame on one thing, but I do think that Camraising going down with an injury not only for on field purposes, but also off field his leadership, like you said that to me, was really what killed Utah season.
Speaker 2: So one more thing on Saturday, then we'll move on here. Because Utah hangs twenty one points in the second quarter, and this is an offense that has not been able. They haven't scored twenty four or more against a P four team all year. And then in the second half, bring him young, hold you. Utah to seventy nine total yards, four first downs, and Utah's possessions went like this, punt, interception, punt, punt, punt, punt. They I think they didn't even have a play in the BYU territory in the second half, and they had good field position the final three possessions, ten plays, ten yards, and if they found a way just to get three in one of their six second half possessions, they.
Speaker 1: Might win the game.
Speaker 2: So tell me what you saw from your eye in the second half as Utah's offense completely stalled.
Speaker 1: Was it BYU's defensive adjustments.
Speaker 2: Was it a cautious approach from Utah's offense a little bit of both?
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts?
Speaker 10: I think it was a little bit of both. I thought, bo you did a great job of adjusting to Utah and making sure that Mackay Bernard does not beat you. And I think that's really the key for Utah's offense, just whether or not they can get but Kai Bernard, but.
Speaker 9: Not only him.
Speaker 10: Their their offensive line this year is like one of the best in the country. And I'm blocking too, So it's a combination of those two things that make Utah a pretty dangerous team on the ground. I think Byu made it started effort in the second half just make sure he did not beat him, and make sure Brandon Rose is the guy that has to beat you. And then if you do that, like he was the writ of the third string quarterback for Jutah entering the year, so yeah, they I think that was that to me was the biggest reason why Buyu was able to win that game, honestly, So yeah, I think, you know, obviously Utah is not having great a pass the game was a big factor as well, But yeah, I think there's a lot of issues there that you could see that BYU is able to pull up the win.
Speaker 2: So Utah I had SIB Boulder Saturday morning, ten am early kicktime. As far as the local stuff goes, it will.
Speaker 1: Be on Fox.
Speaker 2: Utah enters the game as a ten point underdog. There are a lot of rumors going around, but we haven't heard anything official from the university, so I can't I can't coroborate.
Speaker 1: We don't brand Keith he's out for the year.
Speaker 2: But since the game there's been some rumors about some other players lost for the year too.
Speaker 1: We'll have to wait and see what that looks like.
Speaker 2: Tell us about these Colorado Buffaloes, what's Deon being able to do to really turn that season around? And you give Utah at least a puncher's chance on Saturday and Boulder, Yeah, I think.
Speaker 10: Puncher's chances is certainly fair. I mean, they are always a well coached team with Kyle Whittingham there, so you can never count them out.
Speaker 9: And obviously they.
Speaker 10: Almost pulled it off against BYU obviously right, so you can never count out Utah. But Conrad has done a great job of just addressing their weakenses from last year, which has really just been in the trenches, both offensive line and defensive line and linebacker, and I think that's really why they've went from a four and eight team to one that's going to be maybe in the Big twelve Tile Game, maybe even in the College Fable Playoff at the end of the year as well. So that's what's really been the most improved part an oasis to have maybe the best quarterback in America in Sugar Sanders and in my opinion, the best player in college football in Travis Hunter. But to me, the biggest reason why Colro was so much better this year is that they really attacked the portal in the trenches offensive line and defensive line. Also got the number one offensive lineman in the country coming out of high school in Jordan Steens playing great left tackle. That's the biggest difference between Colorado last year and this year.
Speaker 2: All right, from a macro standpoint, Utah needs two wins in our final three games to go bowling, and the only thing max worse than playing in a throwaway bowl game is not being eligible for one. So it's Colorado on the road, as we talked about, it's Iowa stayed at home, and then it's UCF on the road. Can you talk get two of the final three to go bowling.
Speaker 10: I don't think it will happen, but it's certainly possible. I think you can look at the Iowa State and UCF games is most likely. I don't think the Colorado game is most likely one right now. Obviously you host Iowa State and Iostate. It has been having a lot of issues. I think IOA Sate could be an interesting one because Iowa State's front seven just is not very good right now. And not even a front seven. They actually run like a front six. It's like a three defensi alignment, three linebackers. I think McKay bernarc have a big day against Iowa State, honestly, that could lead to Utah to a victory. Then u CF is another team I think Utah could beat as well. Will they win both those games, I don't know. Will they win two these three games, I don't know, but I think those last two, especially those are the most winnable in my opinion.
Speaker 2: All right, Mack, So, as you know, to start the season, everybody was wrong about the Big twelve, as we know, and it seemed to be and there was a little bit of variance, but not much. You know, the three teams that were picked most to win the conference where Utah, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State. So there were a few Iowa states in there, but really not nobody picked Brigham Young. I didn't see anybody pick Colorado, at least any serious person. And so it leads me because Kansas State is still had a very good year. But if Utah is disappointing, Oklahoma State is shocking. They have not won a conference game. They're three and seven overall. What did we get so wrong about Oklahoma State? And why has their season just been so disastrous?
Speaker 10: The reason biggest is for me that Oli Gordon is a shell of himself right now. He went for the best running back in college football last year to nowhere even close this year, honestly, And I understand the offensive line run blocking why it still wasn't very good, but it wasn't very good last year either. He still ran for almost two thousand yards, so that you take away that, and now all of a sudden, you know they were really planning on, you know, riding Oli Gordon on their offense and they just haven't had that. Now, all of a sudden, you got to rely on the quarterback play and the receivers to do that. I like the receivers, but the correct position for them has just been a disaster for them, honestly, and defensively, they have the worst run degrade in the entire Power Four and in the Big Twelve, where pretty much everyone can run the football on elite level. It's a big problem, right if you can't defend the run. And like I said, Oklahoma State has the worst run d grade in the entire Power four this year. So that to me, their inability to run the ball and their inability to stop the run, that's just what's a disastrous year for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: All right, before I set you loose, one more question about BYU because we'll see what the CFP rankings have to say tonight, and then you know, as the season goes on, we'll understand what the bracket looks like, because the rankings are not the seedings as we know. But if we operate off the hypothetical BYU goes to Dallas, they do what they have to do to get to the Big Twelve Championship, they win that they're in as a top four seed first round. By if the second round matchup is what is you know, Ohio State or somebody like that, Like somebody who is either Ohio State Penn State lives in that cul de sac. We know BYU is good. You can't have any questions left about that. If you still have questions, it means you're probably a hater or ultimately you know you've you're poking holes and things that at this point through nine games have not led to a loss. You beat the teams across from you, You do it however you have to, if there's a little luck or magic involved or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: That's the deal. So we know they're good.
Speaker 2: Are they good enough to compete with the legitimate top you know, three, four or five teams in college football this year?
Speaker 10: I think I can compete. I'm not going to pick them to win, honestly. I think, like I said, I think bou deserve to be ranked in the top five in the nation. Right now. Does that mean I think they are actually a top five team in the country. No, But I think it's a whole different argument. Right So they're definitely not gonna be favored against those teams, and probably even maybe even more than a touchdown spread to be honestly, you those in that second round playoff game, but I think it's possible they could beat them up. Obviously, like Penn State or Ohio State, they're very beatable. We've seen that in the past, and BA is a pretty good team as well. But I'm not I'm probably gonna pick BYU to lose in the second round depending on who they play. But they are certainly they're very good to know me wrong, but I just a's a whole different level that you're talking about the highest state as well, so they certainly have a chance. I'm not taking that away from them, but we'll see what happens in the second round.
Speaker 1: All right, Where can people go get all your work? Max?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you can find it all PFF dot com. And you want to watch the PF College Football Show US on YouTube. We're actually going live in about forty five minutes to go for a week twelve preview show actually previewing the the BYU game and also the Utah game as well. To make sure you guys check out the People Collefortball Show on YouTube and anywhere you get podcasts.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, appreciate the time, have a good show today. Okay, Thanks I appreciate you, all right, Max Chadwick.
Speaker 2: Pro Football Focus PFF has got you covered all season long with the best data tools and analysis in the game. Sign up for PFF plus today to unlock all of their famous player grades in premium stats, push to the playoffs in your fantasy league within season tools, and award winning rankings from fantasy experts. No matter what you're looking for, PFF plus has what you need to make winning decisions all season long. Sign up for PFF plus today for less than ten dollars a month.
Speaker 1: Alright, buddy, JP Junger is going to roll by in studio.
Speaker 2: JP currently is wearing a bunch of different hats. He formerly was the producer of this radio program. Now he is the voice of the Utah Royals, he is the voice of the Salt Lake City Stars, and he's still doing podcasting for the Utah Jazz Radio Network. You're back to some college football in the five o'clock hour. The Kyle Whittingham Coaches Show comes your way at six o'clock tonight. Should be an entertaining one this evening after a tough weekend.
Speaker 1: So we have one coach at six.
Speaker 2: We have one coach right now we'll do some Utah women's hoops around the road against Northwestern on Thursday night, five o'clock start time, and coach Lynn Roberts back on the drive on a Tuesday, coach, Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 1: How are you.
Speaker 5: I'm doing great?
Speaker 9: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm well? I'm well. All right.
Speaker 2: So some new faces, some familiar faces, a two and oh start. Neither game has been relatively close. We'll kind of get to what's next. I do want to talk about this interesting change of conference and what it means for your program. But from a macro standpoint, what should we know about your team this year? Again, a lot of faces coming back and some new faces added to the puzzle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's well said. You know, we have our core group back. Gianna Niapkin's returning All American, has two years left, Kenny McQueen, the hender for Utah Local UH and Jenna Johnson. Those guys are all seniors in Eshvita back, Matty Wilke back. We've got some good ones and you know a lot of preseason lists for point guard of the Year with a Nash and Jenna's on the power forward of the year, you know, one of ten, one of ten, one of ten. So we've got some good guys back that have been in this program for you know, three years, four years, and they also you know, beyond being upper class, and they have a lot of experience.
Speaker 9: You know, they've all every.
Speaker 5: Year they've been here, they've advanced in the NCAA tournament, and they've won Tactal Championship. Like, there's just a lot of experience, not just age experience, but big game experience in winning. So that's a luxury as a coach. But then we also have three really good freshmen and a couple of transfers that I really like, and then some key role players back that are you know, they've improved. So I like our roster. It's a great mix of new plus just experienced veterans. So I think that's a good balance. When you're looking at the season, Well.
Speaker 2: When you lose an all time great, it's tough to make up for the absence. And Alyssa's now moved on to pro basketball in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: What have you tried to do so far?
Speaker 2: I guess you're just relying on, you know, the girls that have been in your program. But again, don't you don't just replace somebody who is historically great. So how are you going about kind of a big hole that Alyssa leaves behind?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you don't. It's not, as I've said a lot, like, it's not zero sum or she graduates and you bring in somebody and you wipe her hands clean like hey done. Like it's just it doesn't work that way. And but where it's not like she was the entire program either. I think the system played for her. She was an incredible generational talent. But we had a lot of good players around her too, And so those guys you know, are going to step up, like you mentioned and be in some bigger, more uh scoring reliant roles. But then we've got we've got a transfer, a grad transfer from she's originally from France, graduated at Rhode Island. It was all big East out there, and so she you know, six three sixty four, really long athletics. She had twenty two points in our second game. She's good and she's going to help fill some need there. And then it's just, you know, it's my job to put our best scoring, our best players and positions to have the most impact. But we certainly have the talent to make up for it, and that's you know, while it's definitely is a loss, it's not something that stresses me out in terms of can we still be as effective, if not better?
Speaker 2: Through two games? You're still playing the same type of flow system. Everybody touches the ball, the ball move. You still like to shoot a lot of threes. You know, it does look like your style of play. I wonder how much of that is based off of And look, you do have a lot of players who have been in the program, But do you decide exactly what you will implement based off of your personnel or you a coach that says this is how I know to win, and you're going to play in this system, Like, how does that process play itself out prior to the start of the year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think a little bit of both. I think our philosophy remains the same in terms of the way we want to play the game. The nuances of that it depends on who your players are right now. The luxury is that we get to recruit players that fit our system. So if somebody cannot shoot at all, we probably won't recruit them. That doesn't mean they're not a good player, but they're just not a good fit for us, and so you know, we're we're recruiting now to the system, But every year is nuanced. And even if we've got a bunch of players back and it's you know, a lot of the same ingredients, it's still a different recipe. Every year is different and that's the fun part of coaching, and you've got to keep it new. And so we're doing some different things than are nuances, But in terms of the philosophy of pace and tempo and space and great shot selection, that'll that'll be the same as long as I'm coaching.
Speaker 2: How has your recent success conference championships NCAA tournaments, how has that affected your ability to recruit on the trail to get into doors that maybe three four years ago you were not able to get into.
Speaker 9: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: I mean great players want to want to win, right and they want to be around other great players. And so you know, we're fortunate to be at a spot with our program where we're nationally known and respected and we've kind of earned our earned our keep a little bit to where we have. You know, we're able, we have the ability to get in there, and you know, another huge part of that is our home crowd attendance. You know, last season we averaged seventy two hundred. When I got the job ten nine and a half years ago, we had the year before I got here, they averaged six hundred and fifty four people, And so we're up to seventy two hundred. And that's a huge part of recruiting kids. You know, if you're an elite player, you want to play in front of a great home crowd, and we want to keep building that. You know, my goal is to get to ten thousand and be like you know, Iowa and Yukon and those types of places that have historically had great crowds, like that's South Carolina, Like that's that's the next step. I'm certainly not content with where we are, and we just want to keep pushing.
Speaker 1: Is this your tenth year? Yes?
Speaker 5: Can you believe it?
Speaker 1: I feel like you just got hired.
Speaker 5: I know me too, But the bags under my.
Speaker 2: Eyes, Well, tenth year is the head coach, but the first year as the head coach in the Big twelve. And you know, look, it doesn't necessarily this is just my opinion, Len, it doesn't necessarily adversely affect you the way that it does Craig, because the Big twelve conference on the men's side is ridiculous, But I feel like the PAC twelve on the women's side may have been a superior conference overall, or maybe it's pretty close. As of now, looks like we've got four teams in the top twenty five. Yes, after two games, l we're going to break down the top twenty five. Iowa, Stayed, Case State, West Virginia, Baylor. But how would you articulate what this Big twelve challenge means for the women's side of things? Is it better competition? Is it pretty linear? Give me your thoughts there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think you're right. I think the PAC twelve on the women's basketball side was and this is not an opinion, this is statistically factual and in terms of tournament, game advancement, statistics, play, you know, all the things, net ranking, everything packed twelve on's basketball was the best women's basketball conference, And I think what made it uniquely elite was that it was from top to bottom everybody was really competitive. You know, there's a lot of a lot of population in the West and no other conference that could you know, in the area Power five now Power four, But so there was a lot of West Coast talent that we got to stay. We being packed twelve and it was an elite league on the women's side, and maybe you know how you might equate the Big Twelve on the men's side, right like it was just the best. So you know, everybody kind of got absorbed into well not everybody rip Oregon State in Washington State, but they'll make it back. Everyone kind of got absorbed into other leagues and so we'll all kind of be spread out, which I think will you know, elevate those leagues too. But the Big Twelve is good. You mentioned four teams, but that's not just the only four that are good. Arizona's always tough, TCU is good, We're good, Colorado's always good. Like it's a good league. It's a tough league. And I think for me, you know, there's a lot of places being a West Coast kid my whole life, there's a lot of places I've never you know, competed at. New arenas, new travel, all of that, new opponents. But that part's kind of fun too. It's a new challenge. Change kind of keeps you sharp, and so I'm excited. I'm looking forward to it. I certainly don't think it's going to be easy for anybody in the Big twelve on the woman's side to cruise through. I think it's going to be everyone's going to kind of take their lumps. No one's going to go undefeated. But I think it's a really, really good league.
Speaker 2: What did you ask because you had a lot of players coming back from injury, a lot of and unfortunately that was an issue that plagued you at the end of last year. So what did you ask during the offseason from some of these young women who played for you who were hurt to make sure that they were healthy, stay in shape, and were you satisfied with the way that your roster came back ready to play.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've got an unbelievable group that we have to and this is the honesty, goodness truth. We have to actually lock the gym so they don't get in when they're supposed to be having an off day. They are so driven and bought in and motivated to be great that they work their tails off. So my you know, my issue as a coach now is that they overtrain more than having to get them going. And that's a good problem to have.
Speaker 6: A coach.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Of the of the young women you have returning to play for you, who would you point out? I would imagine Gianna is gonna be on the list as far as helping the incoming freshmen of the transfers understand, because you can only do so much Lynn as the coach, and then they're going to go when they're going to go class and they're going to go hang out. So who are you kind of leaning on to help you know, these new players understand what you ask of them as being part of this program.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've got a handful of players that just breathe our culture. They live it and that you know John Eapns is one, Jenna Johnson and at Kennedy McQueen, Matty Wilke. Those guys, you know, I mentioned em earlier.
Speaker 8: They are the.
Speaker 5: Walking example of what we want and they you know, they've completely bought in. And so when your best players are doing that, the new guys fall in line. I don't have to do a whole lot. It's pretty player driven and player led at this point, which is awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, before I said you lewise, you should know that the latest bracketology has you in region four in Spokane. Is an eight seed play in South Dakota State.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, oh that's where we were last year. That was a great experience, wasn't it? And we played South Sacosta State. So I don't anticipate staying as an eight seed. The goal is to be a top four and host, so I think that's very It's challenging, but it's doable. But just like top twenty five polls, I don't pay much attention to the bracketology. We just kind of stay in our lane and keep our nose down in chop Wood.
Speaker 2: Man, I wouldn't imagine, So I was surprised that there was actually a bracketology available for me to look at after two non games before I set you loose, tell me about Northwestern, your next opponent coming up on Thursday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I've never in my in my career played Northwestern homer away or anywhere, so this is the first. I actually don't know if Utah has played Northwestern, that'd be a good trivia ever in its history. But yeah, I mean, big ten team, they've had a they've they've lost a couple of close games against really two really good teams. So they're going to be hungry to win, and it's you know, our first road game, and it'll be a tough challenge. But I think they're well coached and they've got, you know, a Big ten roster, so we have our hands full. We you know, we're the underdog going on the road in the Big ten.
Speaker 1: All right, Lynn, thanks for the time.
Speaker 2: Great to have college hoops back, Safe travels and we'll chat again.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: All right, Lynn Roberts.
Speaker 2: She's on social media at YOUTE coach at Ute's coach, rob is where you find her. And as she referenced, you know, one of the things that's allowed her to really build this program in the right direction is the home attendance what it is now on the women's side. They'll be home next on the eighteenth against McNeice. Looks like they'll get rolling. They've got Notre Dame coming into town on the thirtieth of November. That's the top six team in the country. Then the launch into Big twelve play a little bit later on. So appreciate Lynn's time. War on Drugs came out too long ago with the National I watched up top in the VIP section checked out the scene and I looked down on the people as I typically do, and among the masses, I saw our next guest, Bob and has said a little bit, maybe a little beverage in hand, not getting two out of control, just enjoying the event as a classy gentleman would JP.
Speaker 1: John Paul, how was the show?
Speaker 3: Bell? It was tremendous.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 3: They call me the Bill Walton of the War on Drugs. I'm always in the middle. I'm crowdsurfing, I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: That's got to be your brand from now on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somebody has to fulfill the legacy of this man.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Who is my phone background right now? I'm showing it to you. I love that you see. And I'm a Bill Walton guy.
Speaker 2: I've always said if you don't like Bill Walton, if you didn't like Bill Walton, you didn't like fun. But now we need you like following I call them WOD but whatever. Now we need you following them on tour to become like part because you're rising up the ranks of broadcasting. We need to add to your brand. And maybe that's the Bill Walton of WOD.
Speaker 3: Are the War on Drugs? Playing in Sioux falls against the scar Sky Force. Are they in Grand Rapids when the Stars are taking on the Gold Are they in Stockton, California? When they take on the Kings tomorrow? Then then I'll be the Bill Walton of the world.
Speaker 2: So that's JP's way of letting us know that he has a new job.
Speaker 1: You're wearing a lot of hats. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got the Jazz podcast Network, we got Roundball, round up my favorite front row. We've got the Royals voice of and now we add to the list Voice of the Stars.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, young man.
Speaker 2: Tell us about the process and tell us your exciting level for this new gig.
Speaker 3: Well, it wouldn't have happened if I didn't do the play by play in broadcasting for the Royals, So that needs to be said one hundred percent. Those experiences covering that team and still covering that team has been a real eye opener when it came to play by play in my respect. But people saw that they recognize that I have a willingness to join the play by play ranks. It would appear and I was asked if I would do the Salt Lake City Stars, and I said yes, Because when you get asked to do something in this business, you always have to say yes because the experience is only going to be valuable in the other things that you do. And I can't wait, and I'm thrilled to be a part of the development stories in the g As you see the next general managers, the next head coaches, the next players, even though they might not be the next Kevin Durant in that league, you might find some of the real reliable role players that come into the National Basketball Association. And it all starts here with the stars.
Speaker 1: Did you and maybe you did? And I just didn't know this about you.
Speaker 2: Was play by play always something that you aspired to do? Did you always want to call games? I mean, I've never really been against it, but it's never something I've searched out because I like this intimate medium. I kind of like interviewing people long form conversation. I like sports talk radio. But you said something that stood out because it and it's so true. And I'm not going to be the old guy to say, Okay, young people in this business, listen up. But when you have an opportunity to do something in this business and speak into a microphone almost no matter what it is, I mean, I did you top basketball pre Aff and Post during the Jacoltian Boiling years where I bet four people were listening all year long RSL pre Aff and Post for years. Like whatever it was, I knew like if somebody gives me an opportunity to bark into a microphone, if I ever want to do this full time, I have to say yes before I actually have stable footing.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 2: So is play by play something that you kind of always aspired to or did these opportunities present themselves and you're just leaning into it.
Speaker 3: These opportunities presented themselves. I never went out of my way to ask can I be the Stars broadcaster? It was ultimately brought onto me because of the storytelling element that I do with the podcast and the commitment that the organization has shown to me and developing what I've got going over there, and they thought adding something to my plate would only benefit me as I continue to progress. And you know, I always thought of myself as an interviewer, a storyteller in that respect, by getting someone to sit down and really getting to the heart and the meat of really good stories. But this play by play thing is pretty addictive, and when you talk to people who do it. Fortunate to know many people who do you hear how excited they get preparing for a game, And me, during just this NWSL experience, I was enjoying the preparation of the all the players that you have to memorize and learn facts and figures about. And they said, if you have that, you can be really good at this job, because that is a part of the storytelling element and making sure that I still have a love of the grinding of learning about ad Jason Preston who was a basketball blogger for the Pistons before he got himself a scholarship to Ohio and bounced around organizations with the Clippers and now with the Stars to getting his shot in the NBA on a two way contract. The more you care about those stories, the more you care about these people, the better you are conveying and ultimately sculpting your craft. You're never gonna be perfect, not everybody's al Michaels, but the more that you tell these stories and learn about these people, you get better.
Speaker 2: Al Michaels apparently has a contract rider that stipulates he gets a steak at halftime of every game he calls, but that's all he claims he's never eaten a vegetable ever since he left his parents' house. What will be in the JP chunga contract rider when you rise to that level? What's the meal at halftime? I have a feeling that's going to have something, you know, kind of like this.
Speaker 3: Well it's a pastasa, probably a Menican a medical. Look, these play by play people are kind of odd ducks.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, don't get me started.
Speaker 3: Some are odd birds as well, Iron Nice being one of them. The man hasn't had a salad his entire life. Won't eat a hamburger with a condiment on it.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, Iron just wants straight bird cheese. No, just straight and ea.
Speaker 3: The man is lived his entire life going to some of the finest culinary cities across this country and says no to condiments, fry sauce.
Speaker 2: Nice try, it's not gonna happen. You can't get weird on me, dude. Don't don't get weird as you rise the ranks. I'm not gonna let you get weird.
Speaker 3: I think other people are projecting on me, these quirks. That's what am. I just secretly quirky that they think, Oh yeah, he should be played by the play broadcast.
Speaker 1: Potentially you said something that's to that, you said, it's a dick danme.
Speaker 3: It is interesting, well, because so there's nothing greater than cracking my being live on air because you're you're always on the tightrope. It's it's the free solo aspect of it and times that by twenty when people are tuning in not for you, but for the game, because ultimately anybody could be doing the broadcast of the game. It doesn't matter who it is. So long as you don't distract from it and you just add a soundtrack to it, you can do a competent job, but it's addicting to find the correct word play. When Job does a magnificent dunk and Iron calls it a jaw dropper, that's where I say, Wow, that's somebody who's at the top of his game, crafting the perfect sentence that's going to be the headline tomorrow, because ultimately that's the job that you're trying to do. You're trying to anticipate the headline for tomorrow in your caption today, and so it's addicting to try and find the answer to that question when you're doing a ballgame because you're you never find you never think you have the most perfect broadcast, but it's much better than you thought when you review it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if you're approaching it the right way because you reference the oddities of certain play by play people and the ones.
Speaker 1: That are the worst are the ones that are in it because of the ego. Right.
Speaker 2: It's just they think it's all about them, right, and you know, they probably think they're killing it every time. And this job or a play by play gig, we're you're calling a game isn't different than any other job where some days you have it, sometimes some days you don't. And if you're always seeking to get better, you will listen to yourself with a critical eye. Like I don't like listening to myself. I never have, I never will. The only times I will is if I finish an interview and I go, that was a bad question, or that was I get wordy and my questions as you know, as Will Hardy found out last year, Really I do like that's a bad habit of mine, but it's a habit that comes as a result of being a solo host for four hours because you have to fill a buster a little bit you have to fill clock, so I'll finish an interview. I actually did today earlier with Max Chadwick PFF, my guy, and I asked him a question about the Utah offense in the second half, and then after the interview, I went that was you should have given.
Speaker 1: Him more space.
Speaker 2: I inserted like five opinions and there's nothing left to talk about if I take up all the bandwidth in a question. So the only time I'll go back and listen is if I feel like I asked a question in a poor way.
Speaker 1: Do you I mean, what do you As far as going back.
Speaker 2: And listening to a call or a game, do you do that to try to improve here or there?
Speaker 1: Do you earmark certain things during the game? Sale?
Speaker 2: I need to go hear how I handle that, Like how do you approach that dynamic?
Speaker 3: I would start by re listening to that question that you just asked me. Yeah, but it was worthy. It was a little wordy, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: That's who I am. That's a radio, it's your show.
Speaker 3: I listened to it no matter what. Oh really, I really do. If I get tired of listening to myself, then I'm not improving. I have to listen to a bare minimum and I know this is going to get tricky because they're going to be back to backs in the G League, but at bare minimum a half of anything that I call before the next game, and I try to leave a couple days of space in between calling the game and the next match. At least for soccer. It's I've had the luxury of having so much more time but critiquing everything. If if I'm the toughest critic on myself than when I send it out to somebody one of my play by play friends, I know I've already thrown every punch at myself that I can. I just need to know specifically on things when I ask other people. You know, Guy Haberman, who he may know, comes on the show so right the program, Uh, he said something pretty insightful that it's about when when you're asking for feedback from others, be very direct, because otherwise the whole thing is in six months, you're gonna get better just by naturally doing it every single day or every single game, You're just going to be better in six months. And the most bland, run of the mill advice that a broadcast can give to another keep doing it. You're on the right track, you know.
Speaker 10: Like you.
Speaker 1: Need reps.
Speaker 3: But it's so true. In six months, I will be better than the very first game that I do on Monday against the Rips Remix, which you can always catch us Stars at the Maverick Center. Tickets available at Salt Lake City Stars dot com. But I'm going to be better in six months.
Speaker 9: I need to.
Speaker 3: When I go to other people, ask them specifically, is this how you would handle a situation? There was a big injury in this moment. I don't know if I handled it correctly where I wasn't assuming too much on the field, where I wasn't making assumptions, and I was leaving it a little bit of time to breathe for the analyst to jump in. How to handle it? That's how I go about asking from critiques from other people and other broadcasters, but myself, I don't pull any punches. I'm listening to every single word. Am I using present tents? Am I using future tents? Am I being too verbose? Everything comes under fire when you're listening to yourself behind the mic.
Speaker 2: Were you so new house Syracuse stand up? Were you schooled to review your calls? Were you taught in jail, you know where you went to Syracuse, Like that's part of the educational process. You need to review your things, yeah, man, oh yeah, and especially with your peers. Yeah, your peers are ripping you apart in class when you do a stand up on the Syracuse mayor approving her budget and they want to know, all right, you got a little too wordy and your stand up up there, And I don't know how relevant this background was in the stand up that you did for this upcoming SoundBite that you got from not just the mayor, but you talk to the county commissioner.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it fit right there. So it was pretty brutal because everybody's so competitive, and yes it's tough, but ultimately that's what makes you the better broadcast or the better news reporter, the better everything, is that you're willing to put yourself out there and be open to those critiques because ultimately everybody's looking out for you. They're trying to make you better.
Speaker 1: So one more thing here, then we'll move on.
Speaker 2: As someone who's done sports talk radio and now play by play, because I've been told by people, if you wanted to do what you could because of what you've done for eighteen years, like the line between the two is pretty thin. Has that been your experience or do you find them to be two different skill sets? Because I'll say this, I think there are some play by play announcers doing play by play right now that are horrific at it, but acceptable as sports soccer radio hosts. And I think there are some sports soccer radio hosts that are horrible at that, but they're actually pretty decent at play by play. So have you found similarities between the two? Are they two different crafts?
Speaker 3: I think they're two different disciplines and they're so different in what you have to accomplish with each, but ultimately the fundamentals of them are pretty similar. You're trying to entertain people, and if you're a play by play broadcaster and you're not entertaining, then ultimately, what's the point of the broadcast?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 3: It is the game, and you have to compliment that, but making sure that you're also bringing new people in. Not everybody who's watching is the die in the wool sports fan that is listening to a sports talk radio show and understands all the storylines of what has happened so far. I found them very different, and I think that's good in my respect because I'm so early in on it on the broadcasting game. But I definitely hear that some broadcasters can't become talk show hosts, and some talk show hosts can't become play by play broadcasters.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's the old mad dog thing.
Speaker 2: Every radio guy can podcast, but ten percent of podcasters can do radio or whatever. All Right, So the Stars gonna be an interesting year because the Jazz have a ton of young talent, and we could see some injuries, we could see some dips in play. I mean, we know that will is going to be developing a lot of these young players with the varsities, Gordy would say, but we could see well, Cody william O, Kyle Philipowski potentially. I mean, these guys are starting for the big boy club right now. A few weeks back, heading a hot yoga look over, and I see the original wog my guy. Nineteen ninety four, senior Cardinal Gibbons School in Baltimore, Maryland. I'm a rising sophomore. We both may have been at five Star. Wasn't a big deal. Just a couple of hoopers from the Northeast chopping it up about going to camp together back in the day. He was like a celebrity then already because he was in a McDonald's All American. He'd already committed to Duke, but he didn't look like he should be playing high level college basketball. I am taller than Steve wo Jakowski, but he is the original woj and I honestly thought John Paul at one point he would coach Duke. I thought, you know, he'd got a good job of Marquette, and he always came across as a very good communicator, a guy that was a natural coach. For a minute, I thought Quinn was going to coach Duke too, But for a while I thought, Okay, Steve's going to coach Duke one day. Like a lot of coaching journeys, including Quinn's, took a couple of U turns. Now he's landed back here coaching the stars in Saul Lake. What are your interactions been like with him so far?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Wojo has been phenomenal to deal with, and ultimately he's basically a part of the Jazz staff. The great part about Will Hardy is how open door he's been about allowing Wojo to be around the team and how they are using it as a very similar project from the varsity to the jv Wojo was on every single trip in the preseason. He's allowed, without the bat of an eye, go into a coach's meeting.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Now during the thick of the season, go ahead. It's all the same for him, and as a communicator, he's at a very different place than where he was with college basketball. So much noise, so much clutter. There's I have to be concerned. Did this fifteen year old respond to my text? Does this fifteen year old know who I am? Does this fifteen year old about the program that I'm at? There's so much of that, and Nil has complicated it. Shout out pay the players. But now it's just about coaching and teaching. Now it's just about making sure that the two way guys are getting to a point where they can progress in their professional journey, whether it's with the Jazz or a different team. Making sure that the exhibit ten guys who are with training camp and are potential players who can play at the next level, are they also developing. It's all about teaching for him and for somebody that for so long has had to recruit and been out out on the road for so long, him finding this place where he can be in the professional game and he can still lean on that coaching and teaching element that has put him in such a good mind space and put the team in the way where it really is serving the big club.
Speaker 2: Will thirty five six, Will thirty six, Steve's forty eight. You know, interesting dynamic obviously with Will being so young but being the head guy. And I wonder how Steve kind of digests that when he clearly was on a path at one point where, like I said, I thought he'd be the duke coach or maybe go on and eventually coach in the league. How did he end up with the Stars after he lost the Giga Marquette.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had family who was living around.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right, Yeah, I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: He was up in Park City and he was he was living out there the good life. You say, it's a couple degrees too cold a little bit about about about six weeks out of the year, he was a okay with that. The man was doing iron men things like he he was becoming the mountain Man. And you can see it with the beard that he's kind of grown over the last couple of years. But he's climbing mountains, he's using the trails, he's decompressing after that Marquet exprespecause of college basketball we can be so draining. And he ultimately ends up here as a local interviews for the job. Good pair because Will Hardy was you could say boy genius for Greg Popovic, so is Steve oo Jahowski with another legendary head coach, coach k and that expectation being the keeper of the secrets, being somebody who has that shared experience initially bonds them, but ultimately as an ex o's guy, as an offensive person, as somebody that knows NBA spacing. That's how he ended up with a job and why he's in the position with the Salt Lake City Stars.
Speaker 2: All Right, I woke up today with a real pep in my step. You know, I was energetic. Wasn't sure why, but I remember the NBA Cup starts tonight.
Speaker 1: I know, big day. It's a big day.
Speaker 2: Oh it's a big day for hoopeds, Big day for whopeds. All right, So give me a little flavor because just so you know, I will be down at the game tonight. Oh, my I'm making it and just just to aside, will you please this time let everybody know. I will everybody know, because I mean, I just feel like the welcome last time was underwhelming. I had to call my guy Dunio to get the credential. I mean, it got a little weird. So if you could spread the word, maybe a video tribute. But if you can't make that happen tonight, that's fine.
Speaker 3: The Clayton Keller of Utah Sports.
Speaker 2: Meeting, I did think I was He was very nice, but he thought I was a hockey player and he was going to try to get me in as a member of the Utah Hockey Club.
Speaker 1: But eventually my.
Speaker 2: Guy Dunio got me in. What's the building gonna feel like? You've been down there? I'm heading down there with with our guy Trey Elliott will be there.
Speaker 1: The whole crew is going to be in town tonight at the game. So what's the building you gonna feel like?
Speaker 3: Well, it's gonna be a really cool crowd to see because this Jazz team is eager to get a win in front of the home fans because they got that road trip double away from the Delta Center. But it's gonna be another good crowd. I'm shocked at how the fans never ceased to amaze me, especially on these Emirates Cup nights with all of the eyes on them to watch the Phoenix Suns. And even though there's no Kevin Durant, you're gonna see Devin Booker, You're going to see Bradley Beal. You're going to see a new look Phoenix team that's launching threes in droves, much like the rest of the NBA, but seeing what this Jazz team can do with the likes of Kyle Philpowski, who had a good road trip and Isaiah Collier who now is looking very bright in the way that he got his first start last time out against San Antonio. They're playing the young kids. Oh, finally, they're playing the young kids after not doing it for one game against Milwaukee, ar I was wondering, had Will lost his mind? Did he forget to coach? No, he didn't. We're going to go crazy over one.
Speaker 1: Game that sell Trip dot Com Triple Team.
Speaker 3: You know, that's that's for other people. Time to provide a little perspective. They're going to play all year long. But tonight, seeing those young players and how they go against one of the best teams in the West, Phoenix. I think last time I checked their number two in the entire conference, that is pretty stacked and pretty loaded even without Kevin Duran.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess we'll never see Cody guardianis.
Speaker 3: So the valuable minutes of seeing Keyana. Oh yeah, that's right. Giannis is on his farewell tour. He's never going to play the Jazz again.
Speaker 1: Wasted opportunity.
Speaker 2: The Emritus NBA Cup drama at its finest tonight, not just here in Salt Lake, but across the landscape of pro basketball, as is.
Speaker 1: Mike On Hello, John Paul, what do you call it? Emeritus NBA?
Speaker 3: Isn't it sponsored though Emirates, Emirates, Emirates.
Speaker 1: Emerts period as a soccer guy. Oh, that's what I said, Emirates. What did I say.
Speaker 2: You didn't say Emirates Emirates I said early, I corrected Tim McMahon earlier.
Speaker 3: What did he say?
Speaker 2: Oh, something that was not even close. I mean, talk about it, not a soccer guy. Emirates NBA Cup an English rebranded from the in season tournament a year ago. John Paul liven Studio.
Speaker 1: I hate to do this to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't want to make you emotional, but you were a producer for this show on the Massted Dylan Moskovitz. But you're also a producer on this radio station for a number of years, and byu Utah Week was last week. You're no longer a part of it actively as a front facing member of the media because you've been doing other things. But it is the biggest thing that happens here in the market, regardless of who you work for, regardless.
Speaker 1: Of who you cheer for.
Speaker 2: What are some of your memories of being at this radio station during rivalry week when you were producing shows and you were actively part of byu Utah football, I.
Speaker 3: Might have also been through a pretty big goal in the schedule of those two scheduling each other. But the game is awesome because both sides are unreasonable during that week in a good way. I say that in a good way, of sure, because that's why people care about sports. That's why I care about sports. That's why everybody wants to go to these games, and they're they're so coveted. But like when Tyler Huntley says, they soa poo poo, and people actually take that seriously, it's amazing. Yeah, because he's doing it just.
Speaker 2: To you, knowing that on BYU TV all week.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, It's great. That's why he said it, because he's leaning into the heel character a little wrestling. That's what sports are, soap operas for men. That's why we watch. Okay, we want our stories. We want to watch our stories. And I've always enjoyed how crazy it makes people, how incensed athletic directors can get a route this subject as well, apparently, But the fact that it's a conference game now it means a little bit more than when I was at this radio station and it was just two teams not connected by conference bonds that were just playing each other. The conference element huge.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 2: It is and I've often been asked, you know which fan base is more insufferable, and I always say, whichever one wins.
Speaker 1: It's whichever one is winning at the time.
Speaker 2: And I've been doing it long enough to know by now the script is literally flipped depending on the outcome of the game. Because when Utah wins that the BYU cry is they're so arrogance, the arrogance of the Pac twelve Utah fan base and when BYU wins, it's the arrogance of the holier than thou pious moral high ground attitude. It truly is like whichever school wins, the other fan base just uses the same talking points and the same script and the virtue signaling like their accounts. Send me every video you have of a ute fan saying mean things to BYU fans so I can then post it and show you that we're morally superior.
Speaker 1: Like it really just depends on which team is better that given year.
Speaker 3: I hate them. I think they're classless. So many memorable lines in this entire rivalry, the what was what's the Austin Collie line?
Speaker 2: Magic happens when you're living right on and off the field. Magic happens.
Speaker 1: Magic happens. And that, by the way, and we had Austin on the show last week.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 1: That is the most perfect thing you.
Speaker 2: Could possibly say, because what that does is reaffirming Utah's minds that BYU believes God is their twelfth man every time they take the field.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's wonderful.
Speaker 3: It's a perfect rivalry because it's neighbor against neighbor. It's Utah County against Salt Lake County. Like you can pit so many things against each other, how diametrically imposed. The crowds are the holier than down nature of it all. And that's what makes good college rivalry. It is private versus public, which you know, having gone to Syracuse and experienced Syracuse Georgetown private v private, it's just a bunch of people from New Jersey and Connecticut yelling at each other. It's not as as interesting to me. Okay, it doesn't matter that. Yeah, you guys have the same vineyard vines outfits.
Speaker 1: On the rugby belts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, congrats es sick very cool Brooks Brothers again. Huh okay, cool man. I dig that quarters up.
Speaker 2: Two callers popped at one point, by the way, just so you know, picture exist.
Speaker 3: That is not the same as as Utah E y u and my only gripe. And this is not with the two universities, is with the television companies. Why is it? Okay, guys, let's figure this out. I was in the Central time zone San Antonio following the Jazz and I was able to do a podcast with Walker Kestler. You can listen to it on the Utah Jazz podcast Network. But as people were coming up to me on the riverwalk telling me about the score of this Utah BYU game. They were following asleep telling me the updates because it's ten fifteen and it isn't even the second quarter. Folks, They've got to figure that out because games on too late. It's too good of a rivalry to put it on that late in the day.
Speaker 2: I had buddies texting back east like I'm going to bed, and I had some family members that love BYU. But it started at twelve fifteen, like, yeah, can't stay up. We'll figure it out the next day.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: You referenced what the athletic director of Utah elected to do after the game. We've talked about it on the show, so Mark Carlin, and you know, if you've been around the game long enough, you know that there's the magic happens. There's the I Hate Utah. There's the Brandon Burton block. There's the Brett Ratliff.
Speaker 1: Who's that dude?
Speaker 2: Holy smokes, they went to provo and one. There's three nothing we could keep going. There's Scott Mitchell, there's Eddie Johnson. You can label a lot of these games with one play with one saying with one player and there's the controversy of the holding call. Certainly that will reverberate. But I think in ten years this is going to be the Mark Harlan utah BYU oh yeah, oh yeah, because it wasn't just and so after the game, because I stayed till the end.
Speaker 1: That's what I do. Got to say.
Speaker 2: How to my guys, Colonie and a Rod, congrats, you know, dap them up, give them a hug because that's the kind of classy person that I am walking home.
Speaker 1: Boom, phone blows up. Did you see what Harlan said? Have you heard what Harlan said?
Speaker 2: Like, now I'm walking home, Buddy sends a link, pull it up, and I went, oh my gosh, John Paul. I thought he was going to be in more trouble than he actually. Brett your mark, Okay, my man does a mess out. That's a sleeping with the Fishes Conference commissioner in college football. And I just pictured Brett Yormark at like three am Eastern Time, looking at his phone and being like what he said. What I thought forty k and a public reprimand is a slap on the wrist compared to what I thought was going to happen. He goes after the integrity of the conference, the professionals, the professionalism of the officiating crew.
Speaker 1: I think he got off easy.
Speaker 2: I thought it was such a swing and a miss for a guy that seemed to be pretty calculated.
Speaker 1: What was your reaction when you first saw and heard the comments.
Speaker 3: I thought it was very unfortunate. I thought it was really a bad look from him and ultimately bad for him to question the integrity of the sport. There's no reason when the game is being refed by third party officials to say that a game was stolen from you. That was egregious in my opinion, no matter how highly intensed and charged these situations are. That's where you, as an adult, have to step back from the microphone and say, I'm gonna stop scrolling Twitter, stop looking at my phone unplugged, because it's a game right now, and I need to have perspective, because as a person in leadership, you can't set that as the way that you want everybody underneath you stolen. You lost, fair and square. My guy didn't score in the second half.
Speaker 1: Five punts. Get to stop.
Speaker 3: There's no reason for you to question not only the integrity of the sport, but call out brettyor Mark isn't his boss, but people who know his boss, people who are very influential in the most important part of his job. I was unbelievable and correct use of that word, because I just did not believe that he would do that and then not take questions and just bounce afterwards, which was another amazing part of the clip. But forty k is absolutely a slap on the wrist for a guy for something like that when you call somebody out. If I called out my boss and I didn't get reprimanded, I would start questioning my boss. I'd say, Okay, what's going on here? Do I run the roofs now? Is it my time to shine? Kind of amazing, kind of amazing.
Speaker 2: I've been thinking from the moment I heard it and from the moment I saw it, And look, Mark is not my friend.
Speaker 1: We don't hang out off air, but he's always been good to me. He's been in studio.
Speaker 2: I'll probably interviewed him fifty times, and when I see him at games, he says hello and we talk and he seems measured, he seems smart. I don't know the nature of his relationship with Kyle or anything as far as behind the wall up there, I really don't. But as I often say, and I wish I had learned this lesson as a younger person in this business, you can always not tweet, you can always not hit send. And he could have very easily just not said anything. I mean, ads do not take the podium after games. That rarely happens. It's usually just the coach and some players, and even in pro basketball, like it's typically all coaches and players outside of some sort of chaotic situation like when Bob Myers took the podium after Durant got hurt with his achilles, because he's like, we need to get ahead of this narrative that we brought him back too soon. So let me give you the take of the organization. But that's an outlier. It's Steve Kerr, it's Steph, it's Draymond, and then that's it. So he could have simply just not said anything. To your point about not taking questions not a good look. But I started to from the minute I heard it, the thoughts been permeating through my mind.
Speaker 1: Why did you do that?
Speaker 2: So the simplest explanation is you're just mad. You feel like he got jobbed. You didn't like the call. That's the simplest explanation. You're mad, you're emotional, you want to send a message. But in what world has had a good idea? So I started wondering aloud, and I've talked about this on Monday, on yesterday's show cause he's The statement fell short too. It's missing two words, which is I'm sorry, Like we don't apologize. Well, in this country, we justify our bad behavior. I'm not judging I've done the same thing. But he said in a statement he went into the locker room, saw coaches and players. I wonder if he was trying to show Kyle like, I've got you back, and I'm a football guy.
Speaker 1: I'm tough too.
Speaker 2: At the end of the game, he's on the field yelling at the refs while the kick return was still going, and the video shows that Mark's on the field, which doesn't happen either. I just wonder if this was like a I'm gonna show my coach that no matter what, I'm right or die. I'm not saying that's a justification. I honestly cannot understand why a guy who I perceived to be as measured and Smart decided to take that approach.
Speaker 3: It did seem very out of character for the dealings that I had with him, because when I was at the radio station, it was his first couple of days on the job coming from USF, and he was always very professional, very easy to deal with, and pretty measured in what he was going to say. So I buy that a little bit, but I do not discount how angry people get when the result doesn't.
Speaker 1: Go your way.
Speaker 3: For sure, any game like that, and a game like that in the electricity of the atmosphere in the season that has happened for Utah as well, because the context of the entire tapestry of this year has to go into it. Because of all the expectations that this program had heading in and feeling the heat of things underneath you, things conspiraling, you start to lose your head. So many times athletes and coaches they act out of character when they're put into high pressured situations. That's how I saw it in it being very out of character, but ultimately the workings of someone who's really emotional after a loss in the way that Utah lost that game.
Speaker 2: And one more thing on this, then we'll move on with a couple of minutes we have left, and I honestly don't know what the dynamic is up there with how this all would have taken place, but I can remember, you know, my father always had a PR right hand man. His name was Eric Gelfan is now PR director for the New York Jets, but he was the PR director for the Garden for like fifteen years, including the ten years.
Speaker 1: That my dad was there.
Speaker 2: And before my dad would ever say anything, he would talk to Eric. No matter what, you know, Nick's heat, Nick's pacers, we could keep going, like all of the crazy emotional Nick nineties roller coasters stuff with players off the court that no one will ever know.
Speaker 1: He would always call him.
Speaker 2: He would always talk to him, and before he had rest the media, including when he was essentially sorry Pops, you know, outed for interviewing Phil Jackson, when Jeff van Getney was that coach. He calls Eric, He's like, what do we do? I just wonder if there's and maybe Mark just ran up to the podium was like, I'm not talking to anybody. But in moments like that, there's got to be contingencies and interferences in place to protect an emotional person from himself.
Speaker 3: That's why they have a cooling off period for the players ultimately, so that you can cool off literally from the game where all your emotions are happening. And it's why Blake Griffin does the great comedy bit of where he's just saying nothing after a postgame interview because I just exercised for two hours. How am I supposed to put into words what happened on the floor. I don't know what happened five seconds. It's an insane ask that we ask of these guys. Yeah, but it's funny the way that he does it and encourage that sort of deal to rewatch that. But he needed to think this through because it was so out of character for him. When Chris Hill was freaking out about the officials in the basketball game, He's an East Coast guy.
Speaker 1: That's what some East Coast guys do.
Speaker 3: Okay, they listen to a lot of Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen and they get mad at people.
Speaker 1: They're rationally emotional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're rationally emotional when they're driving down the turnpike around the Holland Tunnel.
Speaker 1: That's what they do.
Speaker 3: So when Chris Hill did that, it was very in characters. He's been that his entire career. He cares about basketball. You know that that was his number one sport on the Hill because of how much he loved the game. And for Mark to do that in that moment, it happens. It really does happen when people lose their heads, and it creates these moments that'll go down in infamy and adds another chapter to the old rivalry.
Speaker 2: And the news cycle will move on and people will hound in on different things. And I don't think he deserves to be hit with the head every single day. And for the Mark Harlan needs to lose his job. Crowd like, get offline, cal him down. You know, it was just a moment in time. But yeah, I still walking walking home and get pulled in that up on my phone was quite a moment, all right. Since you and I last spoke, there was a scene in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to talk about it.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: Do you want you have any offseason thoughts or I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to talk about it, okay, because it's what I said.
Speaker 1: I know, I know this is hard for you, but you're emotional now, but you weren't as like you would have. Mark Harlan This.
Speaker 2: If I talked to you right after the Minnesota game, I know you've had a few days to digest thrown a chair too, it would have been completely founded. No one would have blamed you.
Speaker 3: They were different the second half of the season after the suspension, and they changed the team, and they didn't get back to that front half of the season. Four and ultimately RSL congratulations the most poet, YadA, YadA, YadA. Doesn't matter. Playoffs matter. That's it disrupt the chemistry of that team. Wow, that's it. I'm done. I gotta go, I gotta go. I can't do it anymore.
Speaker 1: Do you think Trey's job should be safe?
Speaker 3: I think his job is. He's fine. But it was very, very disappointing to see the way that the season ended. With all the bright hopes. I was expecting time at beer bar, but unfortunately it was ropped for me. Who's stolen? Some would say stolen?
Speaker 1: Did they even lose?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, go back and look at the regas wish they didn't, all right, John Paul, tell our listeners where they can find all the awesome jazz podcasts these days.
Speaker 3: Utah Jazz Podcast Network just look it up on any of the podcasts platforms Utah Jazz Podcast Network you'll find an episode with Walker Kessler, The Lace one that I did on the road in Chicago after the Utah Jazz got their first win.
Speaker 1: AhR, buddy, see you tonight, thanks for popping in.
Speaker 2: John Paul Shanga check him out saw on the Utah Jazz Podcast Network. He calls games out for the royals and the stars. He's a very very busy boy. All right, what's going on? Driving five time on a Tuesday afternoon? A little snow and rain earlier today. It looks like it's still snowing up in the mountains, but it has settled here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. Still chile and cold and cloud even no rain or snow tonight. Looks like we're gonna have a pretty chilly week, but not a lot of precipitation in the benches. Of course, it is Utah, so wait for fifteen minutes and that could change. Happy Tuesday to you. Hope you're off to a good start to your work week after a bit of a chaotic weekend in the sports world end quite frankly in the world world. So busy Tuesday Show. Busy Tuesday night in both pro and college basketball. We've got the State Farm Champions Classic on ESPN right now, it's Kansas and Michigan State. Kansas is the number one team in the country both BYU and Utah. Fans need to start watching some Big Twelve basketball to see what you're getting into. We also are moments away from the CFP release, the second iteration of the CFP release that'll come your way tonight, and the local intrigue is where BYU ends up?
Speaker 1: How far does Miami fall? What about Georgia?
Speaker 2: As the upsets have continued in college football every single weekend, chaos has ensued built in the Big Twelve and then nationally as well, So of course that's something that we are keeping our eye on here. The CFP Playoff release the rankings, which again are not the seedings.
Speaker 1: The rankings are not the seatings.
Speaker 2: This is not anything that will be instructive as it pertains to the brackets, but it will be interesting to see after coming in at number nine last week, where BYU falls tonight. My guess is they're no higher than seven. I could probably stretch my mind to believe that they'll be coming in at number six. That's not necessarily something I agree with, per se, but I if you believe the committee sent a very loud statement a week ago ranking BYU at number nine as a very very massive indictment on the Big Twelve, and ultimately BYU right now is the heavy favorite to earn a spot in the conference championship game, and according to ESPN's FPI, they are a forty percent chance favorite to win it, which is the best in the Big Twelve. Vegas has installed Colorado as the favorite to win the Big Twelve as of now. Okay, so as a result of both BYUS win over Utah over the weekend and just continued chaos in the Big Twelve conference, BYU's margin of error is very very large right now, like they could essentially lose two of their final three games and probably still go to Dallas. The question remains that if Brigham Young stays clean over the final three games, and by the way, if you are just hopping in your car to start your commute home, BYU is only a three point favorite over a Kansas team, it seems to have turned a bit of a corner as of late. You know, it's a game that BYU is still a favorite in but only by three. The line hasn't moved, the spread is large, or excuse me, the over under is big at fifty five point five. But Kansas, one of the preseason teams that people thought would kind of be a sneaky pick to compete in conference play, of course, got off to a horrible start, not just in conference but in the season.
Speaker 1: But they won two of their last three.
Speaker 2: They beat Houston at home, they nearly beat k State in Manhattan, and then they hung forty five on Iowa State just a week ago. So Kansas comes in having figured something out. It's a late kick at LaBelle Edwards Stadium, eight to fifteen mountain time. And if BYU goes twelve to zero in the regular season, and if they lose in Dallas in the Big twelve championship game, what what does that look like?
Speaker 1: I'm still very curious.
Speaker 2: About this dynamic because I do think the committee sent the message a week ago that BYU at number nine is an indictment on who this conference is overall, and you are.
Speaker 1: A one big league.
Speaker 2: That's the way I took what happened a week ago that even a twelve and one BYU. Cougar football team that loses in the Big Twelve Championship Game could be left out of the twelve team CFP and whoever wins. The bottom line is, whoever wins the Big Twelve Championship is going to be the loan team that will represent this conference. That feels a little punitive, It feels a little unfair. I mean, there certainly is brand bias in college football.
Speaker 1: They're already there. There always has been. That's not a new thing. But if your BYU, everything's still in front of you. I mean that's the good news.
Speaker 2: But does it really matter if you stay clean the rest of the way if you lose the Big Twelve Championship game. A lot of that depends on what happens elsewhere, And because there's been so much chaos in college football, I guess we'll operate off the assumption that there will be. But of course that's kind of a big thing that's going to roll down the.
Speaker 1: Pipe here in a little bit.
Speaker 2: With the CFP rankings and where you will be and where Miami falls and where Georgia falls. You know, more upsets happening in college football. You know, ultimately a week ago I would imagine we're gonna got more upsets coming up this weekend. On the Utah football side of things, Makai Pittman about twenty minutes ago, and I'm seeing this on social as a result of Josh Furlong sending it out a tweet. Makai Pittman has sent out a video explaining why he left the Utah program. I did not know any of this, but MacKaye is saying that he was badly banged up, an injury that should take eight to twelve weeks to heal, but he said he came back and put his body on the line to play, said he needed tour it all to play, but too many adverse side effects. And you know that rumor surfaced about a week week and a half ago that he was no longer with a program. But I couldn't really coroberate it until right before the game. But MacKaye has released a video kind of explaining what is going on with him. Apparently I had a partially torn achilles and yeah, I had to use painkillers to play through the pain. So wish him the best he finds a good place to land on his feet. Obviously started at Oregon, ended up at the University of Utah. A lot of the news cycle over the course of the past forty eight hours has been the comments made after the game by University of Uta athletic director Mark Harlan, receiving a lot of attention both locally and nationally. And you know, when the dust settles, we can always look back on Utah BYU games and kind of explain the most legendary ones with one play, with one name, with one player, with one coach, with one statement, magic happens. Brandon Burton block, Brett Ratliffe game back to Harlean fourth and eighteen.
Speaker 1: I think in ten years this is going to be the Mark Harlan game. I really think.
Speaker 2: That's been the main storyline. It's continued to reverberate. You guys can all, you know, take the piss out of each other online and complain about the fourth and tent holding call as much as you want. There's really nothing left to debate or argue. But it does seem to be the comments of Mark Carlin that permeate throughout the you know, the following couple of days of coverage since the game ended on Saturday night, Utah does hit the road coming up this weekend in Boulder, taking out a Colorado team that has much improved along the offensive front. They have two of the most dynamic skill position players in all college football. One of the best players that I simply have ever seen play. Every time I watch Travis Hutter, I'm blown away. Colorado seven and two, they're five and one in conference play and as of now, they are the Vegas favorite to win the Big twelve. Utah is a ten point underdog on the road in Boulder. That kicktime is going to be a ten am, which means our pregame coverage with Porter Larsen and Jordan Win and I would imagine some hot coffee and some heavily caffeinated situations will begin at six am Mountain time on Saturday. You said yesterday you were going to try to do this from your bed, but looks like you're gonna have to come into the studio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll be in studio, but can confirm on the caffeinated assistance.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. We touched on this earlier. And you know, Porter's a guy that knows the program well.
Speaker 2: It does our pregame, you know, every single game and talk to a lot of people up there I will not bring Twitter rumors on air, never have, never will. But there are rumors about multiple injuries as a result of what happened on Saturday night. We know that Bran Keithy is lost for the year, and there are a lot of people surmising that Brandon Rose might be on that list of injured players, and some people saying that they're hearing he's lost too.
Speaker 1: I can't cooberate it. We have not heard from the school.
Speaker 2: But what is your understanding of where we're at with the health of Utah football prior to Saturday at Colorado.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, luckily last week they for the most part, got a lot of the guys defensively back that they had been without for a good part of the year. Keanutana Vasa Junior, Tafuna Simoto Pepa's still in and out of the lineup, but Tavita Fo two is back the fold. So the defensive line that was for large parts of the early season pretty much non existent is back to mostly full strength. You've got conro O' tool, You've got the you know, Fano and the guys outside, and then now you do have the fellas in the middle back in the fold. But as you mentioned that offense man just continues to take hit after hit after hit. It's Michael Mukafisi, It's Micah Pittman, it's money Parks, it's you know, you go down the list. And now the rumors of one Brandon Rose being done for the year, you know, I can't confirm that, And I bet you you'll hear from Kyle Whittingham on the on the Coaches Show here in about forty five minutes or so. I'm sure he'll touch on that if it's season ending. Sometimes he is one that will, you know, talk about it only in that circumstance. I wouldn't be surprised if because it's the quarterback, he decides to play at koy up until Saturday. But what I did see and what I can confirm, is that I saw Brandon banged up after the game. He was walking off the field hurt. He went over to the medical staff as he left the field the final time on the game versus b Yu. And you know, whether that is something that's going to keep him out for multiple weeks or the remainder of the year, I'm sure we'll find out in the next couple of days. But yeah, man, it's just a continuation of a situation where you like to pin it on you know, non contact stuff, bad luck, real bad injury bug. But at a at a certain level, Spence, you gotta start examining other things. And I think this Utah football team is probably be on that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean five straight l's. You can't put it on one position.
Speaker 2: We've tried to be as reductive and fair as possible to talk about the health of Cameron who or whoever else is under center.
Speaker 1: My guess is if Brandon's hurt, it'll be Isaac.
Speaker 2: But rumors about Isaac's risk too, and so maybe we see my guy, the Ferrari, Luke Batari under center like he was against Colorado a year ago. The Chicago Bears fired Shane Waldron today their offensive coordinator Caleb Williams twenty ninth in QBR in Pro football, which of course is not good enough. And if you woke up with an extra pep in your staff this morning, like I did you know that it's time for the NBA Cup?
Speaker 1: That's right, it's here. Did you even know? Did you even have any idea?
Speaker 2: Turner Sports has a pretty interesting doubleheader tonight. If you're not going to the Jazz game. I'm gonna head down and see the Suns and the Jazz. No Kevin Durant tonight for the Suns. Looks like Keante George is expected to play for the Jazz, but Walker Kessler is out seven o'clock at the Delta Center. The Knicks and the Sixers are about to tip off from the Wells Fargo Center in Philly, and then Klay Thompson is back at the Chase Center in the Bay Area to play the Golden State Warriors team he won four rings with with Stephen Curry and Draymond Green and Steve Kerr and company.
Speaker 1: So the MAVs and the.
Speaker 2: Warriors tonight on Turner as well, but the NBA League Cup, the Emirates NBA League Cup sponsor attached of course here in town as the Suns are taking on the Utah Jazz five o'clock hour.
Speaker 1: The drive today is powered by Larry H.
Speaker 2: Miller and Draper, the Ford King, Utah's number one volume foard dealer, and they'll beat any trade in price in town by seven hundred and fifty dollars anytime, any day. Find them online at lahm Ford at Draper dot com. Busy night of NBA hoops. Is the NBA League Cup is here, Jazz in action tonight taking on the Phoenix Suns. Get a head on down to the arena on this really cold chili yet clear now kind of clouds.
Speaker 1: No rain, no snow, Tuesday evening, so come on down there.
Speaker 2: Obviously when it is football season, kind of waiting for Thursday to get rolling. So you get pro football back for a little week eleven, which is crazy to think about, but fun show today.
Speaker 1: Lot going on.
Speaker 2: Certainly you can hear the Coach Wit Coaches Show, Kyle Whittingham Coach Show coming up on the other side, and then.
Speaker 1: Utah Men's basketball taking on Queens.
Speaker 2: Queen's doing the I think I'm supposed to say, Queen stand up Queen's Bridge. We're on our test stand up. Queen's doing the in state tour there in Salt Lake today and improv of tomorrow. I gotta say, man, it feels like Bill just decided to give Sean the coach a show this week. Bill has to call the men's game tonight. Okay, so that's what's happening. But when Sean Tolby he was filling in for Riles tonight on the Coach Wit Coaches Show. It seemed like a very convenient week for Bill not to have to deal with what could be a very.
Speaker 1: Tired, frustrated in his fields. As the kids would say, coach Wit.
Speaker 4: Right, Kyle is a, let's be clear, very good to us as far as the media goes, the you know, the the interviews, all of the above. But I don't necessarily know that even though he's good to us, he enjoys that part of the gig. You know, it's it's part of it. You get paid handsomely to do it. He understands and is a pro about it. But let's just say that if Kyle had his brothers, he would not be doing a coaches show tonight, right, Nor would he be doing one last week or the week before next week, or you know, that's just that's just kind of the them o there. So yeah, after a loss like that, and after the media circus around the loss afterwards, probably not the ideal thing for for Kyle be doing on a Tuesday night. But again, he'll come do the work and do the job and and of course get to get us ready for Colorado on a early Saturday.
Speaker 2: Morning, so you'll hear coach Witch, Sean O'Connell and for Rile smith Snowden, some other players are gonna be joining the Kyle Whningham Coaches Show. Then after that men's basketball taking on Queens. All right, Porter, before we get out of here, what comes our way? On a Wednesday edition of the program.
Speaker 4: On a Wednesday edition of The Drive, halfway through the work week, spend Zach Harper stops by for the NBA Daily Assists. As you've been talking about the NBA Cup Big story of the week, man is here Neil Smith for behind the Glass segment. Of course, each and every week we chat with the former Stanley Cup winner on the latest with the Utah Hockey Club and the NHL Chris com Ronnie's actually going to join us in studio tomorrow because he is out of pocket later in the week, so we'll we'll wrap it up there and actually do some sports court on a Wednesday as well. We're kind of shuffling things around for a few schedules on this Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Adapter Diveporterer exactly.
Speaker 2: Adapter dies you do'll do that on a Wednesday show with that will say an I it's special, thank you today. Tim McMahon, Max Chadwick, Lynn Roberts, JP, John Paul Changa. For any of the sound you may have missed from the show, the website's at option, which is ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Make sure to downloa load our mobile app and take us on the go. So how I listen to our station ESPN seven hundred app that's available in the App Store or the Google Play stores. Well, finally, for what we do in our space every afternoon for four hours, check out our podcast phase. We call that the Drive with Spence. Check its that's available wherever you get your show. Subscribe, rate, review, say and nice things in the comments. Give us all the stars. It actually helps.
Speaker 1: E Sporter.
Speaker 2: I'm Spence saying tonight, enjoy your Tuesday evening. We'll talk to you on a Wednesday show right here on ESPN seven hundred