Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to Talk Nerdy. Today is Monday, August third, twenty twenty six, and I'm the host of the show Doctor Kara Santa Maria. And this is the last of three episode intros that I am pre recording before I leave for a trip to Australia and New Zealand with the other podcast that I work on, The Skeptics Guide to the Universe. I should be getting back today. Time travel is weird like that, isn't it. So next week I will make sure to thank any patrons that I missed in the meantime.
Speaker 2: And now I say we just dive into it. This is a fascinating episode. I had the opportunity to chat with doctor Rupica Rissom. She is a professor of Digital Humanities and Social Engage at Dartmouth, where her research explores how histories of race, empire, and technology shape the modern world. She's written several books, including New Digital Worlds, and was a co editor of Anti Racist Community Engagement and The Digital Black Atlantic. She's also the past president of the Association for Computers and the Humanities. But today we're going to be talking about her newest book. It's called Data Empire. The power of information to organize, control and dominate. So, without any further ado, here she is doctor Rupica. Rissom Well, Rupica, thank you so much for joining me today.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Care I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 2: I'm so pumped to talk about not just your new book, but also all of the work that you do and how it feeds into this that you have to tell, which I think is it's one of those interesting ideas that is unique in that we don't often, I guess, think about history and power structures having to do with data, especially historically. I think more and more people are being attuned to that now. But so it's like a unique way of telling this important insight but also incredibly ubiquitous and probably everybody goes duh once you start to talk about it, right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I feel like that's sort of the story of my life, which is I'm saying things that I feel like are very very obvious, and yeah, in conversation they're not, but once we start talking about it, all of a sudden, those dots get connected.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: So before we even get into the book, let's dig into sort of your academic positioning, because it's a very interesting multidisciplinary position. I guess, Wow, that wasn't redundant at all. So you are an associate professor of Digital Humanities and Social Engagement at Dartmouth. What department or are you like matrix between departments.
Speaker 3: I'm actually a full professor now as ten days ago.
Speaker 4: Stop it, I love it. Okay, I'm gonna update that for the intro. And I'm so congratulation.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I'm very excited. It's been a long time. And yes, I am this professor of this thing called Digital Humanities and Social Engagement. But I'm situated in two departments, the Film and Media Studies department and the Compared Literature Department.
Speaker 4: Ah interesting, Okay, I.
Speaker 3: Can make this way more complicated by explaining that I have a PhD in English, and I started out my career at Salem State University of Public University in Massachusetts, where I was in an English and a higher education and so I just go, I go with They'll take me really anywhere that wants to let me do my work.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: You know where I did my PhD Media Studies was in the psychology department.
Speaker 4: Oh nice, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's I think a lot of these uh, these kind of boundaries are quite wiggily right.
Speaker 4: This is definitely a I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've had whole episodes that we dedicated to the problem non problem of human beings really needing to categorize things and put labels on things.
Speaker 3: Very fitting considering the topic of my book.
Speaker 4: So this is so interesting.
Speaker 2: So you've studied English, You're you're working in these two different departments that really have a lot of kind of culture and societal influence. You know, we're talking about historical but also contemporary ways that individuals I guess, uh, not even and just individuals, but whole systems exist within within culture and how that shifts and changes. So that has everything to do with race and gender and class and kind of country of origin, and also capitalism and socialism and different kind of financial structures and different governmental structures. Like how do you even know where to focus your attention?
Speaker 3: My interests have always been on the impact of colonialism on culture and on history, and it started with literature because when I was in college and read postcolonial literature, so literature from countries like India or Jamaica, for the first time, I felt like the writers put language to experiences that I had had that I did not want to talk about being an immigrant to the US myself as a young child and coming from a family who's originally from Kishmir. And so I was really interested because I thought, Okay, there's a language for talking about why it feels like some countries have more power over each other and how did I even get here? And so the point of entry for me was literature, but very very quickly I started becoming interested in history. I started becoming interested in digital culture and how we have these incredible tools for content creation available to us, whether it's to do it as individuals who want to tell our own stories or as academics who want to tell stories that haven't been told that come out of their research. And yet I always felt like, why aren't people actually using these tools to do that important thing? And that's why I got interested in the field of digital humanities. And it was at a moment in time in the late twenty tens where rather it was in the early twenty tens where the field was sort of starting to be a thing, and I thought, Okay, here's actually my moment to say, we have these powerful tools, let's actually use them to not just tell everybody who Shakespeare.
Speaker 2: Is right, such an such an interesting origin story. Do you have family still in Kashmir?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, So when you do you consider you know, I've I've had a lot of folks on the show when we talk about you know, intersectionality and identity and the I guess, the struggles and the difficulties, but also the beauty in you know, being bicultural or multi cultural. Do you consider yourself like a firmly bicultural individual at.
Speaker 3: The very least. So I was born in Wales.
Speaker 4: Oh, interesting, okay.
Speaker 3: And because my parents left Kashmir in the early seventies and they went to the UK, and they lived in London, outside of London, and eventually in Wales, where I was born. And then they decided after about four or five years there that they wanted something different from their lives, and we had some family in the US, and so we came here. And so I very much feel KASHMIRI I very much feel British, and I also feel American, and so it's very it's very strange. But you know, you can take the best parts of all of it and try to ignore the rest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, better advice, I have not heard. It's something we often talk about in so I work as a psychologist in a cancer center, and very often when we're talking about I don't know, mortality and religion and politics and all of these deeply existential things that people are grappling with today. That seems to be the consensus amongst the professionals and the patients, like is sort of take what serves you, take what you find joy in, and just leave the rest behind.
Speaker 3: It's really all we can do, especially when you consider so many of the pressures that we're dealing with right now, from particularly in the US, from a political system that feels very.
Speaker 2: Much in turmoil, to put it lightly, agree wholeheartedly. So it's so interesting this kind of very intersectional approach that you take to understanding you know, our contemporary I guess placement or situation context milieu against the historical background, especially with an eye towards colonialism, which of course encompasses all of those different features of misogyny and supremacy and racism and just power and othering and and yet this story not and yet but and also this story specifically is about like information, it's about data. So when we think about data, I think we often think about the Internet, or computers or modern tools that are used to store data, or even like DNA. But I think a lot of us forget that data really is just what recorded information. It's it's a it's a meta concept of seeing or organizing information and figuring out a way to transmit it. It doesn't it could have been quite crude in the past.
Speaker 3: Right, absolutely. And the way I think of it is that most things really just aren't that new, and even if they are, we got them somehow. And my interest has always been how far back can we trace idea a concept that is being positioned as being new or disruptive or unprecedented, which is my least favorite.
Speaker 4: Word, disruptive. Yeah, President good.
Speaker 3: So if we look as far back as we can based on what archaeologists have found so far, we get back forty three thousand years ago to the mountains at the border of Uswatini Mozambique in South Africa, the La Mambo Mountains, where archaeologists have found a baboon femur with these notches on it, and they've determined that they're not decorative and they're not accidental, and so someone was intentionally carving these little markers and they were tracking something, and it's so powerful just to think forty three thousand years ago someone thought, you know, I need to remember something i'm seeing or a phenomenon I'm observing, and there I'm going to carve these little notches into this bone to do that. And what else are we doing now, really other than carving notches and bones? Only now we have computers.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, even this concept of counting before we may have even developed a system for I've always been fascinated by the idea that mathematics is not really a language. We can talk about it like it's a language of organization, but very very simple. Mathematics is in some ways baked into the fabric of reality. And I think about that a lot when I think about our relationship to science, our relationship to the humanities, that a lot of what we do is just to try to use language or use tools to conceptualize things that we're just observing anyway.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and that's where I start the story of data, which is that it's simply about creating a physical representation or a material representation of something that we think is important. And that, for me is actually why I get very frustrated when people try to claim that data is neutral and objective, because even from that moment forty three thousand years ago, there was an intention there. There is a decision, a decision to count and to track, and that's still happening.
Speaker 4: I just don't I've never understood the argument.
Speaker 2: I see it all the time working in the sciences and kind of working within this subculture of scientific skepticism, where I notice a lot of, like you said, claims that either scientific approaches or data can somehow be neutral or unbiased or you know, kind of like perfectly representative of.
Speaker 4: Existence that is out there.
Speaker 2: And it's like, I feel like just saying it's done by people should be enough, Right, Like people have minds and they make decisions about what they want to count and what they don't want to count, and they make decisions about why things are important and other things are less important. And you can't tease any bias, I mean, you can't not see bias inside of that. It doesn't necessarily mean it's bad or wrong, or there has to be a value judgment on it, although oftentimes there is one. But you can't you can't be quote pure in your approach if you're a person because by definition of being a person, you have a perspective.
Speaker 3: It's true, and I blame I blame the late seventeenth century scientists for this, and then in the eighteenth century scientists as well, because that's when we first see that word data showing up in the English language, and it starts in math, and it's used synonymously with the givens of a proof. We're doing geometrical proofs and we're saying, given, here's the fact, and that word eventually becomes used by people in royal societies for natural science as a way of talking about observed phenomena like a barometric measuring or where a star is in the sky, that they can write down and it's been plucked out of its natural context and put down on a piece of paper, and that it can be compared with other measurements, or it could be analyzed or calculated and then generalized now with the natural world, assuming that everyone has a shared vocabulary of how you're analyzing it, which isn't necessarily the case, depending on one's culture and the cultural context in which one's doing science. Other than that case, you know, so to the idea that you can just take something, write it down, compare it with something else and then make a generalized theory based on it is hiding a whole lot of human hands, Yeah, playing a role in.
Speaker 2: It, absolutely, and who are those human hands? And I think that's one of those. I mean, it's such a it's such a fascinating thing to start to try to really tease a part when you look when you try to empathize with the oppressor, for example, you try to empathize with the colonist, or even just with the individuals who were in power. Due to all of the different factors and features, you know, the cultural historical milieu, there is a privilege you know, we I don't use that word lightly, but there is a privilege that comes along with experiencing the world that you experience and being told from the time you're born that your view is somehow more important, more dominant, more clean, more reflective of reality that you probably just never questioned it that there were probably a lot of these, you know, seventeenth and eighteenth century thinkers that you were talking about, especially scientists, maybe less so the earlier philosophers, but also no, I shouldn't say that. Definitely the philosophers as well, but that just kind of we're like, well, I was endowed with this smarty, smart brain. Therefore what I'm saying is probably the most real.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't know. They never had that problem.
Speaker 4: Me neither.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's interesting to try to empu you know. I think when we talk about colonialism from the perspective of hindsight and knowledge, you know, what we know today, there's always conflict between the individuals who kind of see the havoc that has been reaked and the individuals. You know, it's a very like right wing perspective that we see often in the United States of like, well, I wasn't there, it's not my fault, and we're past that, and you know, it's all level playing field now, and you're like, Okay, that is definitely not true. But I think when you get beyond that conflict and you try to see the world as it was through the eyes of those who were in power and architects, I'm always curious how much they knew, you know, how much insight they had.
Speaker 4: I guess it's a good way to put it.
Speaker 2: Into what they were actually doing, and how much they thought that this was just the natural way of things existing.
Speaker 3: I think they absolutely did, and we think about the context of the eighteenth century, for example, in Europe, where a lot of this theorization of data is happening. These are the people who are in cultures that have gone out around the world and conquered other people and have felt that they absolutely had the right to it. So I'm not sure why I would also simultaneously be expecting them to have a critical eye on the production of science. Right.
Speaker 2: That's such a good point, and it's fascinating to think that, And that's why I'm always like very eked out.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you have the same experience, but.
Speaker 2: Among my peers and colleagues in circles that I respect and run in because I am very, very pro science, I always get incredibly eked out and kind of feel a defensiveness rise when I hear rhetoric about let's say, space exploration or about mineral rights or mining that feel so deeply colonial with just this unapologetic well, science for science sake, you know, exploring is our sort of natural proclivity, and it's a good thing that we should make sure that we're always promoting. Not that I think it's wrong to ask open ended questions, but I'm so worried about that reckless perspective, as if there is no potential downside to going places we've never been and just like fucking stuff up.
Speaker 3: One of the things we always talk about in my house is is it morally okay to colonize Mars? Yes? Exactly.
Speaker 4: It's a huge argument on my other podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the thing is, one could argue there are no people there, but then what about the bacteria?
Speaker 2: Yep, and that's what Yeah, that's always there. They're like, it's not the same as colonialism because there's no people there. And I'm like, yeah, but the colonists, at least the early ones who were like going west because they thought they might fall off the world if they didn't, they didn't expect there to be people there.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, yeah, that's absolutely true, right. They thought it was just the empty land.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then when people were in the way, that's how they saw them. They're like, look, gotta get rid of this complication that we've run into. And I'm not saying if we go to Mars we're gonna find people. We've been to Mars plenty of times with robots. We know there's no people, but.
Speaker 4: It's that perspective.
Speaker 2: That's that kind of very Western person, and I'm always just like, can we just listen to indigenous wisdom sometimes.
Speaker 4: Maybe once in a while.
Speaker 3: One of the things I was thinking about is that we talk about the most cutting edge large language models, we call them frontier models. Oh wow, right, it's the language is so baked in right there.
Speaker 2: Gosh you must it's I remember early on in my sort of identity development and then later in my career development and journalism. In psychology, there's that inflection point where you realize like, oh, patriarchy is everywhere, right, or like like white supremacy is everywhere. And you know, I had a professor who would always say, yeah, it's the water we swim in. It's why you don't even see it, because it's all around us all the time. I can't imagine that for you. Colonialism is the water use I mean, you must see it kind of manifesting everywhere in language, in even in math.
Speaker 3: It ruins everything I really want to enjoy project call Mary. Oh no, I really did. No. Actually I thought it was great, but I definitely at that moment of oh no, here we go again. Yeah, I still.
Speaker 2: A friend just told me I need to see it because I loved the Martian right, and I loved Andy Weir, and I loved the approach.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I was like, I have.
Speaker 2: A feeling I'm gonna have the same experience.
Speaker 3: It's really it's wonderful, though, don't please go see it, please sell.
Speaker 4: I think that's the thing too.
Speaker 2: We still have to live in the world we live in, right, And I think a lot of times there's a black and white way of thinking, and I can't imagine and tell me if this has been your experience as an academic who raises a lot of these uncomfortable conversations and truths. I imagine that you get trolls and haters and pushback from people who are very black and white in their thinking, who are kind of like, don't rain on our parade. Don't tell me all this bad stuff. Because I still want to be able to engage in the world that I engage in, and I still want you know, progress and capitalism and all the things that make my life easier. But like it's complicated, it's ambivalent. Both these things can be true at the same time, right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I am the ruiner of fun in many cases, but at the same time, this is the world that we live in, and the world that we live in is complicated, and I think one of my frustrations, whether it's coming from people who want to say racism doesn't exist or people who want to say I have developed this leftist ideological purity test that you must adhere to if you want to be respected, neither of those are really able to address the complexity of lived reality. And I don't say this to say I am all here to be a relativist about it. I think absolutely if you think that racism is not a problem, then we don't actually have very much to talk about it, right, because that is going to then influence this entire conversation. And I cannot take you very seriously unless you want to have a conversation about why you might be wrong, in which case right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's almost an a priori assumption that if that is the you know, sacred cow you hold on to, every conversation beyond that is in some ways moot or at least it's deeply biased, and you're probably not going to get anywhere. It's like it's like talking to a flat earth or about physics or geometry, Like there's just a certain point where it's like, there's no point of having this conversation.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely true. You know. I just worry so much though when I look at so just happening right now in the US, and I think about what's happening with NIH or you know, what's happened where they're going after the Smithsonian now, and just thinking about how on the one hand, sometimes I want to really dig in and I want to say, you know, we absolutely cannot have this conversation. And then on the other hand, you know, how do we otherwise try and convince people that they're about to make really, really big mistakes that are going to have material harm on people and their lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's such a difficult place to be when individual reality.
Speaker 4: Is as polarized as it is.
Speaker 2: And yet I have to always stop and say to myself, like, this isn't new, is it? Like it feels new to us in America, but this concept globally is not new. People have been way more polarized, And yeah, I shouldn't say they got out without any suffering. There's been mass and horrific suffering because of it. But individuals have always persisted, and even forty five thousand years ago with the baboon bone, there was probably a lot of polarization amongst small, you know, hunter gatherer tribes.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there was, And I think back to really going to the moment where we start seeing humans settling down into more permanent living situations instead of nomadic life, and particularly in ancient Mesopotamia, as more and more people came to settle down because pretty good place to live, they how to start figuring out how do you actually deal with people who you're not related to and they're here and you all have to live together. And so one of the innovations in data is actually the development of tokens, which are simply just little counters made out of clay that people used to mark an obligation or a debt and to navigate that challenge of what happens when suddenly you can't inherently trust the people that you are living with because you are so different.
Speaker 2: So it's almost like it's funny because everything we talk about we talk about with a hindsight bias, as if everything was leading up to this point intentionally, but it wasn't right. We just happened to be at a point in history where we can not see the future, but we can see all the past, or at least as best as we can. And so you know, I say this with that caveat, but it's almost like an early tool for maybe money barter description, an early tool to allow for the structures that eventually will come into place, to talk about property rights, to talk about individuation, me and my stuff versus you and your stuff.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I think that's it always come back to trying to figure out to what extent is this a human thing, right, a desire to say this is mine and my families, and this is yours and your families, and I want that. How do I get that the most basic level, though, it starts with being about survival, and then what I think happens over time is that what it means to serve five changes, because I think I always think about one of the distinctions between what it means to be, say a Republican or a Democrat, or conservative or a liberal, is between I'm looking out for my people, for the Republican that's my blood family, and for the Democrat in some cases, in many cases, it's I'm looking out for people that people are my people, and this mentality between a really expansive notion of who counts as the people that you're going to make a political decision about representation to support. Is it all people or is it your perception of your blood family? And one makes very I think, one makes very different kinds of decisions if you're looking at those two different scales. And then I think, for example too, you know, I mean I vote for Democrats, not always a huge fan, but I mean better than the alternatives. And you know, I make decisions that either they're either going to have very little impact on my life individually or in some cases are probably gonna I'm na pay more taxes, but actually do not care, right, because I'm good, and I know that the alternative is potentially going to be so much more, so much worse for people who are more vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Right, kind of an understanding or at least a hope, because I don't know if we've ever been able to engage in this experiment fully, but a hope that if the most vulnerable among us at least have a basic level of safety and comfort, all of us will benefit from that. Versus, let's see how much me and mine can ensure my own safety and you know everybody else, you do you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. And then and then the conversely, on say, the more right, the right wing side of the political spectrum, the most vulnerable person having rights becomes the threat to them and their family.
Speaker 2: Right exactly because it means, you know, because it's a zero sum game, and that means I have to take from what I worked so hard for and give to you, even though I look at you and I don't see you as working as hard as I am. And I think that is a very common perspective. And you know, while I don't think it is reflective of reality or you know, I don't see validity in it, I do always strive from a kind of.
Speaker 4: I don't know from.
Speaker 2: I always strive to at least try to understand it from that perspective, you know, instead of just discounting it whole cloth. I always want to understand why people think the way they think.
Speaker 3: I agree, And I think part of is also education and really understanding what the perspective you're opposed to is or what the person who the person you're whose existence you're opposed to really is. And I always think about my parents, who if you ask them, they will tell you they are Republicans. I'm actually in their house right now. Hopefully they're not listening. They will tell you they're Republicans. When you start drilling down, take away the label and you say to them, do you think we should have nationalized healthcare? Saying you know, they say, actually, yeah, we should, right, yeah, when you take all the indicators, all the like, I guess the terms that make it what it is.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing with my folks.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating, like we always come down to we want the same things, but we really disagree on how to get there.
Speaker 3: It's so true. And then I thought, you know, my father is saying last night, so and so is a leftist, And so I said, okay, let me play this game. Like okay, I was like, how do you feel about ice? How do you feel about billionaires? You sound a little bit like leftists right out.
Speaker 2: You know, I think that's such a perfect like those two examples that you just stated, like, you know, we can come back to our slice of time and look at ice and look at billionaires hoarding wealth and say, these are huge social problems that our system actually perpetuates and created. But there must be a version of that even in early civilization, right, the policing of those who were other and therefore a threat to whatever somebody's narrative is, safety, security, peace, prosperity, So the ice of ancient civilization. And then also billionaires like the person who was really adept at counting or figured out how to sort of game the token system early on, and everyone goes, m, that guy, he's real smart. Look at all the tokens he's got.
Speaker 3: That is exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: And instead of going look at all the tokens he's got, what a crook? Or like, oh, I don't trust that guy. He seems to always just be after our tokens. I think there has been a cultural I mean, and probably it's been up and down, but there have been many times in our cultural history where we're like, look at all those tokens, Maybe one day I could have tokens.
Speaker 3: That's the problem. The problem is everybody thinks they're gonna one day have tokens, and just in case, they make sure the taxes stay low because they don't want to give them away to anybody else.
Speaker 2: Right, And instead they're just keeping that one guy with the tokens, keeping all the tokens.
Speaker 3: So true. You know, in ancient Mesopotamia, after the town started becoming cities and the cities became city states, there actually were people. They were priests who assumed the position of the person who keeps track of all the tokens and then therefore controlled all the provisions or the wages. And there were there were upsides to it, which is someone was managing life, and therefore everyone didn't have to be subsistence farmers. You can become a potter, you could do metalwork. Sounds delightful, there's there over and over, right, we invest our trust in the person who has taken that administrative duty, and it there I don't it's hard to find examples where someone did that in a really great way, right, like, because you have to always ask why.
Speaker 2: I think it's the same thing, you know, the modern equivalent is like why people don't trust politicians, because there are people who get into politics because of a deep desire and a social justice kind of cause and orientation towards ensuring public safety and prosperity and serenity and you know, public good. And then we always have to ask the question, like does absolute power corrupt? Absolutely? Like did this person go into it because they were power hungry, or once they started to feel that power, did they realize. So you've got the early token counter who Maybe that person was in that role because they were good at counting, or maybe it was because they said I'm ordained by God, and everybody goes, I believe you.
Speaker 4: It's just like, oh, that's shisty.
Speaker 2: Or maybe that person got into it for any number of maybe they did see early on ooh the counter gets to pocket some of the tokens. But either way, even if it was like a kind of noble cause, right, like I'm just pretty good accounting and everybody says the counting person should probably count the tokens. After a while, the counting person goes, oh, nobody else can count. They won't notice a few of these missing.
Speaker 3: This is what I think about. Academic administrators and a hospital administrators think, well, so think about it, because you know, I feel like perhaps I will end up doing one of those jobs as an academic administrator someday, and then I think that, am I just going to become evil?
Speaker 4: Right? Exactly?
Speaker 2: Like does having that much you know, whatever you want to define it as. I was going to say resource or that much power and then it was like, oh, yeah, what are we talking about here? That much data, that much control over information, How does one do that without some amount of personal I mean, our president is like the most extreme example we have had in modern history. Like we all can tell that the reason he is the president is so he can have secondary gain, Like he only wants to be president to get richer and to get his name out there more and to be on buildings and line his pockets. Like he's using it as a conduit to that.
Speaker 3: Undoubtedly, I wonder sometimes I think about, how, okay, let's talk about President Obama. Who you know, there are things that he did that I feel like we're disappointing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, some area with some journalists, some stuff. You know, It's like, yeah, yeah, I could criticize him for sure.
Speaker 3: What I feel like he did really well is he surrounded himself with a smart people and b it doesn't seem like he surrounded himself with people are and tell him what he wanted to hear exactly.
Speaker 2: He surrounded himself with people who would challenge him. And I think that is so important. If the token counter early on said I'm going to count the tokens, but you guys can choose five other people from the community to check my books every day. That's a totally different system. Then I'm going to count all the tokens. Trust me and know you're not allowed to enter my office while I'm counting tokens.
Speaker 3: It's true. I think that's where it comes back to the twenty first century and what we see how much trust that governments around the world, and certainly the US government are putting in tech companies. Because let's talk about for example, we've been talking about Ice partnering with Palenteer to develop immigration os to find people to deport. We're in a pretty dangerous situation because governments want to do things that involve a lot of data. They don't have the capacity to actually do it themselves, so they contract with companies to do it. But in the US, particularly without something like GDPR, it's in an environment where there's very little in the way of regulation. And so essentially you have tech companies working with governments they have given them exactly what they want, which is room to do whatever they want, and governments who are saying, Okay, tell me how you're going to fix my problems. And so it's this little echo chamber in which where's the pushback and.
Speaker 4: There's the rails? Exactly where are the rails?
Speaker 2: Like the government says, hey, tech company, I want you to look at all this big data to tell us where the threats are. And the tech company goes, cool, give me a bunch of money for that, and also thanks for all the access. We're going to figure out how to monetize all this access on the back end too.
Speaker 4: What a good deal for us.
Speaker 2: And as you mentioned, nobody has the time to do it all themselves. So they're like, oh, we'll just develop an algorithm and now we have you know, llms and other AI approaches, we'll develop an algorithm using you know, the most cutting edge tech to just do it for us. But when you're using AI to develop that tech, you don't necessarily have access to the how Some things are a black box. So it's like, let's hope it all works, you know, and even if it does work the way they intend it to work, you know, it's what is that old adage that if you are not paying for the product, you are the product. Like we are, our own lives, our behaviors are, decision making is being traded.
Speaker 4: To market to like what's so depressing.
Speaker 3: It is. I don't know if I'm supposed to try and fix out that.
Speaker 2: But do you notice when it comes to this conversation about data, And I'm curious how you approach this in your work, you know, whether it's in the book or in your greater work. This movement away from like making stuff. And it's true, we still need stuff, but we've outsourced a lot of our stuff making to large, large countries with sometimes questionable regulation where individual human rights are really trampled upon, so that we can get cheaper and cheaper stuff because you know it's cheaper, the labor is cheap and or free, meaning human trafficking, slavery, all of those things. But a lot now of what is paying the bills for the government for these large tech companies is not stuff.
Speaker 4: They're trading their equity, their commodities.
Speaker 2: It's information, like we're not making anything anymore. So is it not like a bubble? Like is this not built on a house of cards.
Speaker 3: I'm completely convinced it is. And part of this is because when you hear there's recently a study that came out in January of twenty twenty five, and you ask CEOs if they thought that AI was going to help them reduce their labor force, as if that's a good thing they about it was around sixty percent or so said yeah, absolutely, this is going to lead to reduction aheadcount. And the study of CEOs from the same people doing doing came out last week said twenty one percent of them say that. I'm sure they think that's a bad thing. I think it sounds great because people having jobs, to me is a good thing. And also I do not trust the I don't trust that any technology should be making decisions about anything without humans being.
Speaker 2: Involved, right, at least having oversight or a check in a balance.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to offload portions of my job.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait until my hospital has an AI that's good enough that I can do a therapy session with my patient and just press enter at the end and my note is written for me. Like that would be phenomenal, because that is a part of my job that I hate and I shouldn't be getting paid to do this, like grunt work that doesn't really serve anybody except the insurance commpanies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just like kind deal with my emails, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Like there are things that it's like, yes, yes, yes, please. But I sometimes worry. I think about the way that we do ballad initiatives in California, like the way we vote where I love my state to death. But one of the things I think is very problematic is we sometimes will decouple the initiative from the way we're going to pay for the initial for you know, you have this ballad and we want all this cool stuff, and everybody goes yes, yes, someting seventeen or whatever, and then they go, Okay, we're gonna do this, this, this in order to pay for No, don't want that, And all of a sudden, we have all this stuff we said we're gonna do, and we don't have any funding for it.
Speaker 4: And I think about that with sure.
Speaker 2: An in a utopia, a tech ceo saying I'm going to cut my labor force in half and have the robots in the machines take all of this menial labor is great if we have universal basic income. You know, it's like, but you can't decouple those things.
Speaker 3: It's so true, And I think the hard part is that they keep talking as if one day AI generative AI superintelligence is going to free us from all of the things we don't actually want to do, and we're going to have these lives of leisure, And I wonder who's.
Speaker 4: Paying for that exactly, who's going to pay for it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Is that why you're amassing all this wealth? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: The other bubbly part about it is that the funding model is completely suspect. Because the enterprise, the enterprise license charges, the consumer subscription charges for any of these models Claude Mermanthropic or GBT for open AI, they're not actually covering the cost of running the models. But let's be even putting aside that there are an environmental costs with water and emissions and so forth. Those are all very real things. Even you put that aside. Their model is being supported by either mergers and acquisitions that are happening within Silicon Valley or vast amounts of venture capital, and all that funding is propping this up. And sometimes I just sometimes I look at my my stock I think it's great, And then sometimes more of the time I just think, so, what happens when finally the venture capitalists to say, you know what, we cannot infinitely prop up right a technology that can that actually has no return on investment.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, yeah, the Great Depression happens, right, or the two thousand and eight financial crisis, Like your stock portfolio is in the toilet when that happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's.
Speaker 2: Like, that's a scary proposition for anybody who is and I say this myself being one of the anybody who is privileged enough to be concerned about that, you know, And it's.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 2: The way that you directly tie these existential eschatological like really terrifying realities of this kind of precipice that a lot of us feel we are on in modern society, back to the earliest anthropologic evidence that we have of human beings existing around each other, and then carry it all the way through the recorded human history that we have. There are good examples though, right, Like there are examples where some cultures figured out how to utilize data, saw that data and information is power, and managed to at least maintain some level of I don't know, egalitarianism or is that just a myth.
Speaker 3: Absolutely there are examples of that, I think for back to, for example, the use of the KEEPU, which was the ink in word for a system of information management that involved tying knots and strings, which was used as early as around thirty five hundred BC or so, same time as the emergence of our civilizations of Mesodotamia, but in ancient Peru, where it's an interesting society archaeologically because there's actually no evidence of there having been any war. There's people who didn't have war, and there was also there's no ruler in the sense of there was a king, which was pretty standard for civilizations at that time to have a king. Certainly that there was hierarchical society, but it was not hierarchical in that same way that it wasn't say Mesopotamia the Near East, and so they were certainly someone was in charge of tying the knots in the strings, and they were sort of like mnemonic devices, so they feel the string and feel how it was tied or how how far was it spaced from another, not you know, to remember what the information was. But it was an example where it was, you truly just treated as a method of managing the scale of life without it having to become this kind of massive, you know, massively unequal society. And I think that's that's a really good example of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it almost like begs the sort of question of the chicken and the egg sort of is it that the tools themselves allowed for a intentionality that already existed, or is it that the tools created an intentionality? Like did this ancient inca society just have egalitarian values and did they develop these tools in order to have this sort of just I couldn't say completely neutral, but like likely neutral outcome? Or you know, the tokens, were the tokens there early on, the clay tokens and Mesopotamia? Were they there early on simply as a tool or were they actually you know, was it a feature not a bug that they became or existed as a means to divide power unequally.
Speaker 3: By completely unscientific speculation on this is that if it hadn't been the tokens, it would have been something else. Yep.
Speaker 2: That's how I feel about religion, if I'm being honest, Like it's not the really religion itself. I think a lot of people blame religion for a lot of things, and I'm like, no.
Speaker 4: That's just the way they did it. You know, those people were going to do that using some other method.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean I'm not you know, trying to paint the ancient civilization Carol soupet Peru as like some kind of eutopian paradise. We actually don't know. We just know what we see there and what we don't see there. But at the same time, it's quite telling when you look to ancient Mesopotamia and you see over time, based on the you know, layers of archaeological research that people have done, is the movement of the tokens out of the homes into the granaries, you know, into the temples, and then the tablets with the cuneiform writing are in the temples. And so it's because it's very clear that the people in the temples of like assumed the control over this tool and then are using it, you know, I mean, perhaps let's be nice, like at first it's like, great, it's a tool. It can help me do a thing. But then you know, all of a sudden you are a warlord going after the next town and trying to take it over. And then think about you know, one of the recent studies that came out about about generative AI, which is that it was there's a study that says that it was making tiny changes in output it was generating on the topic of abortion rates, and that those tiny changes were actually changing the meaning. And if people aren't reading the output that they're asking for before they are using it somewhere, they may not actually realize that a small semantic change has actually changed the meaning of their sentence and the political meeting of their sentence. And so now we're in this weird situation where you know, again like there's this tool, you know, arguably not inherently bad. People are you using it? They're using it because you know, they want efficiency, they want optimization, they want to get ahead whatever it is they're using it for. But now it's sort of flipping in a way that the token couldn't, the tablet couldn't, in which the actual tool itself is changing the output. And that, to me is where we should be deeply worried.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's this like potential for a runaway feedback loop. I mean, I think about climate change, and I think about all of these other sort of large systemic inflection points that human beings have reached where we see then massive population decline, where we see them huge you know, industrial revolution, right, huge increases and in danger to health and human safety, but also to all of the organisms on the planet. These financial systems, I sometimes worry, like, well, I don't even worry. I think I am somewhat cynical about the g being out of the bottle, Like, we can't recork this at this point, we just have to figure out how to manage it.
Speaker 3: I think that's absolutely right. I think we can think about it as something that we could iterate on and improve. I think the ship sailed. It was funny because I was writing this book. I realized after the fact that I had tried very, very hard to not have to not communicate that really this is just about capitalism, or really this is just about colonialism, because it's not. Certainly people aren't running a capitalist economy in an ancient sumer. Yeah. At the same time, it's a very interesting correlation that capitalism, transatlantic slave trade, colonialism, we're all happening at the same time, and it's hard to separate them out from each other, and so it's very kind afterwards, I was I think I was at the point at which I was doing my final final revisions, and I realized I had not used the word capitalism once because I was trying so hard. Yeah, not to just have this be oh like some like leftists like Gridigo just thinks that capitalism is bad like well, actually, yeah, I kind of do, but not trying to alienate the readers here.
Speaker 4: And it's so much deeper than that.
Speaker 2: Capitalism as we define it is a much more complex system and it has specific values and it has but this is like, this is the sort of the building blocks. These are the things that happened before capital and like the way that we're looking at it, it's even in socialist nations there were capitalists undertones, because where there is property, there's capitalism.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. I mean, it's yeah, and it's not like this. I mean I have two examples, one from Solenist Russia and one from Mao's China, where it's not like things were going much better for the people living there. And so but it was very funny because I realized that I had taken such pains to not have this be reducible to capitalism. Is the problem that I didn't even have it in there, and then I had to go back fix that because I don't I'm not named part of the problem. But this at the same time, I think that this particular mode in the US of I guess some people call it late stage capitalism, but the deep lack of regulation, the you know, corporations or you have the rights of people, these are to me areas for improvement, and there's no reason we can't. I mean, I live in Salem, Massachusetts, and we're doing a universal basic income pilot.
Speaker 4: I think that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: And you know, there's other cities, other towns around the country have found out that turns out, one way you can solve the problem of people being unhoused is providing them with housing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you've seen it in places as wildly different as like Salt Lake City, Utah, and Los Angeles, California. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so if I think my worry is that the world feels so overwhelming right now that it's easy to feel like there's absolutely nothing that anyone could do about it because there's these big systems, right big tack capitalism. But that's not actually true. I just look at the Obviously, I live in like a little utopia in Sale, Massachusetts with our rainbow flag crosswalks and our universal basic GACO pilot. But I do think, you know, that's a community that said this is what we want to try and maybe it's gonna work, maybe it's not gonna work, but we're gonna try it. And that doesn't mean that everyone there agrees, because they're definitely people who think that this is completely ass backwards, but we are, on the whole have agreed to try to do something different. And I think it's that those kinds of changes on the local level, you know, in your community, what can you try and advocate for how do you talk to you know, how do you talk to your parent and say, like, are you really your pabucking? Because it doesn't sat me, you don't say that part, but be talking to them about specific policies or what do you really think? What do you agree with? What do you disagree with? You know, have you considered this perspective that maybe isn't your own? I think that's where that's where I find the hope.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's so funny because a, you're very good at this, because any other podcaster would end the conversation right there, because you did such a beautiful job of introducing us to the concept of picking a few examples throughout history and then closing with this this beautiful message of hope. And yet I am not every other podcast, and I cannot help but like it's been boring into my brain the whole time we've been talking. You mentioned, you know, this approach where capitalism is underlying a lot of it, but you don't want it to be the end all and sort of the overall concept. We've talked about this sort of the intersectional nature of colonialism and of all of these kind of variables that underlie this long story of data and information and power. And yet I cannot help but keep going back in my mind to my interviews that have done his on the show before with Angela Sani and her work, both her books Inferior and Superior, Sure, but specifically her book The Patriarchs, about the rise of kind of the ruling male class and how it's situated back in these early attempts to record data and to pass on wealth. Right, this is yours, this is mine, who owns that piece? And while there have been matriline societies that she points to, we saw a huge shift into patrilineal property ownership and spreading, and I don't and we've have small examples of matriarchs, but honestly, I can't point to a single time in history where the dominant power structure was held by women, And I just cannot help, And it's my cynicism and my feminist ideals here, I.
Speaker 4: Just cannot help. But wonder what would all of this look like.
Speaker 2: If all the way at the beginning, that early decision making around power, however it came to be, was shifted in the other direction. Would women have just become men like or would everything we're talking about be wildly different.
Speaker 3: It's also great thought experiment because, of course, immediately I want to say Margaret Thatcher, but then one argues that we had Margaret Thatcher precisely because.
Speaker 2: Because of men, exactly because the only way to play with the boys is to become one of the boys, or even more of a boy than the rest of them. Yeah, and we see that a lot with women in positions of power in male dominant fields. Sure like the most violent and aggressive in their approach because they have to be.
Speaker 3: They absolutely do. And it always makes me think of how, you know, there are some women that one encounters in the workplace who are you know, senior to you, who they're either the kind who think I went through this horrible experience to get where I got to and therefore you must too, or the ones who think I went through it and therefore I want to make it better for you so you don't have to. And those are the people I wish would have been in power in ancient MESSI.
Speaker 2: Betaia say, say, those are the people I wish were in power now, and I just it's You're right. All it can be is a thought experiment, but I just can't help. It's the water, because the patriarchy is the water we swim in. I can't help but always want to point out that these conversations about power throughout human history also can't be separated from conversations about gender inequity because it's you know, it's like when we talk about violent crime and people are talking about like predictive value of violent crime in this area versus that area, and okay, is it the amount of guns?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 4: The amount of poverty? Is it, the amount of drugs? Is it the amount of whatever?
Speaker 2: The most predictive variable is maleness, but by and large, over anything else, it is so much more predictive, but we just leave it out of the formula because it's so obvious.
Speaker 3: It's true, and one of the things I really took a lot of care to try to do is to not have this book be yet another book of great men. And it's it's.
Speaker 2: Really hard because or men great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it is a book. Ye, so many of them were men. You know. There is this one example that I'm thinking of that I didn't end up leaving in the book because there were just too there were too many examples. So a woman named tin Hannan who was essentially a leader of a group of Berbers around the beginning of the Common Era, and she this origin story is vague, but it's it comes out of the Berber legends of people who's still still you know, the culture community still exists, and in their legends she is sort of their great you know, matriarch. And she came kind of walking on a riding a horse and walking with her servant one day. She came from a family in the mountains and ended up you know, in the Suahelle and attracting groups of the nomadic people and doing so, you know, because of her knowledge of the earth, of her wisdom, her ability to figure out how to find water, and none of the none of the kinds of the other A lot of the other women I would encounter were always sort of mimicking the male model of gaining power. Yeah, and she wasn't right. It was a very very different approach. And I mean, I are one could argue, you know, it is sort of essentializing gender to say that the women who adopted a so called like sort of male model were doing that as opposed to you know, one can you know, be expressed female power in all kinds of ways. But this absolutely strike me to think that, you know, in an example like the one of Tin Hinnan, which is you know, happening outside of, say, the context of the Roman Empire, which is also happening at the time, somebody was saying things could be different, and that was a woman, right.
Speaker 4: I want you to write that book.
Speaker 2: Next project. I would love to learn more about her. She sounds absolutely fascinating. But first, everybody, you got to dig through this one because there's so much good stuff in here. We didn't even get We didn't even remotely, not that we didn't get to all of it, we barely got to any of it. But unfortunately we can't keep talking all all day long. But this has been such a fascinating chat. I would love to have you back on the show at some point because I just really enjoyed it and I learned so much.
Speaker 3: This is so much fun, and likewise, I would love to talk to you forever.
Speaker 4: Yay everybody.
Speaker 2: The book is Data Empire The Power of Information to Organize, control and Dominate by doctor Rupica Rissom and everybody listening. Thank you for coming back week after week. I'm really looking forward to the next time we all get together to talk nerdy