Speaker 1: Itching closer and closer to Super Bowl fifty nine between the Chiefs and the Eagles, the final football game of the year.
Speaker 2: Never a bad time to talk football.
Speaker 1: Friend of the Show joining us now one of the best to ever do it at the Youth Super Bowl champ. Great to have Terrell Burgess back on the program. Terrell, Happy Friday, man, how are we doing?
Speaker 3: Happy Friday? Thank you? I'm doing well. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm well, I'm well.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the time, appreciate the time today. So let's uh, obviously, you know, we'll get to some ute stuff and we'll do some you know, the latest with you. But I wanted to ask you, just from your vantage point to somebody who's done this on the highest of levels, what stands out most about the way the Kansas City Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes specifically has been able to kind of change our approach throughout the years to simply figure out a way to win, no matter, you know, no matter what the style is. Because back in the day, as you know, it just was high powered, big plays, Tyreek Kill, Travis Travis Kelsey, and now he just he's kind of grown into this cerebral thinker.
Speaker 2: From your vantage point. What impresses you the I.
Speaker 3: Think just their ability to find ways to win, just like you said, I think, And I'm not no football guru. I'm just you know, a young kid that's been playing football most of his life. But I would just say, like from my point of view, from the teams that have not been able to beat them in the playoffs or like been able to stop them from getting to the big game, I think it's just everyone tries to like beat them at like their game, and like trying, in my opinion, like trying to beat them at their game is not going to work because they've been there. They've been in that situation many times before. Whether they have new receivers or not, like new skill players or not, they're still finding ways to win. And I mean they're playing well on defense as well, so that's gonna help. And I think when your defense is playing well and you know, like you guys could have a one or two off drives and your quarterback has the ability to go down and score every drive, it's just good all around and it just helps the team play better at all times.
Speaker 1: So the AFC Championship Game, Buffalo gets the ball with about three and a half left in three timeouts?
Speaker 2: Did you think they were going to get it done?
Speaker 1: Did you think it was finally going to be Josh a chance to break through or did you feel like that was the Chiefs game kind.
Speaker 2: Of all along?
Speaker 3: I thought joshin the boys were going to do it. To be honest to you, when I saw the clock when the Chiefs had hit their field goal, I said, oh, that's too much time. There's no way the Bills don't score here. But because I felt like they were driving all game, I felt like they had a better command on that game than the Chiefs did it from my point of view. But I guess you know I was wrong, and the Chiefs maybe to the Super Bowl. But yeah, no, I definitely thought Josh and them, we're going to score and win the game.
Speaker 1: So the easy thing for lazy media people to say is because Josh Allen hasn't broken through, and because Patrick Mahomes is only twenty nine, it's going to be tough for Josh to ever get it done. And luck we've seen it trelle in pro football, Peyton Manning, I think it was oh to six versus Tom Brady to start his career, and he eventually broke through and.
Speaker 2: Got a couple you think.
Speaker 1: See, I just feel like Josh is too good to never actually get it done.
Speaker 2: And you never know what's gonna happen with the Chiefs or any other team.
Speaker 1: But what are you willing to say about Josh's chances to at some point maybe break through and get a Super Bowl or maybe multiple.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, No, I definitely think he's got the ability. I think if you see the way he's played this year and over the last few years, just as a whole, he's got the capability of breaking through. I think they just I think they have the pieces. They just got to get over that hump, whatever that hump is. I'm not the person to make that decision, but I think I think he'll break through. And it obviously won't be this year. It could not be next year, but I'm sure by the end of his career. And I'm not saying like ten years down the road when he's finishing it's gonna be his last year. It could happen the next couple but I definitely think he'll break through. I don't know what it'll take, but as long as he keeps playing well the way he's playing, and they keep the right guys around them, I'm sure they'll break through.
Speaker 1: I'm also contractually obligated to ask you about Lamar Jackson if we're gonna do lazy media narratives Torell, because of course it's the same thing with him, right like, potentially could win another MVP, which would be three, and then playoff time rolls around it, and look, there's no shame in going up the Buffalo and nearly beating an awesome team. But got the same question about Lamar as somebody who's played against him and is familiar with him, do you think he ever breaks through and gets his.
Speaker 3: I do think that he does. I think for some reason, I don't know what it is about the Ravens. They've they've usually had had a good defense, and now I'm not gonna necessarily say it's their offense their defense at not making it. But I definitely think, just like Josh, I think he's definitely gonna break through. The Ravens will breakthrough. It just is I don't know what it's gonna take right now. Obviously, Like I'm sure there will be guys that retire from the Chiefs in the next couple of years, So that maybe that could help. I don't think that the Chiefs are like unbeatable. I just think that I guess no one has found a way to beat them in the playoffs in the last seven years besides Tom Brady, So I don't know. It's a tough one.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you about your impressions, because you know, Jadeen Daniels was out here in the PAC twelve foot print, which is dead unfortunately there's no such thing now, but you know I'll use at Arizona State before transferring LSU, winning the Heisman and then bursting on the scenes. Were you surprised to see how poised and mature he was all year? What'd you make if you're one in Washington? With Jayden Daniels, I remember.
Speaker 3: When we were recruiting him to come to Utah, and I knew that he wanted to play right away, but we obviously had Tyler still there and we had a couple of quarterbacks in the room, so I knew it would be tough for him to play early at Utah. But I remember when he was being recruited and I was like, oh, this kid's pretty good. But we played him with he was at Arizona State. He was young, but needless to say, I wouldn't say I was surprised. I would say that a lot of people with his last two years at LSU, I think a lot of people thought that he was going to come into the league and probably just run all the time, like just be a running quarterback and not throw very well. But I think a lot of people were surprised by his ability to throw the ball. He just he played really well all around, and I'm I'm I'm looking forward to see how he does in the future, because I think he's had a great start to his career and it's only up from here.
Speaker 1: So I thought Philly would beat them, but I thought it would be close, and it was not close. Philly overwhelmed them and they and look, it was a great accomplishment for Washington and Jaden Daniels. The Washington organization has not been to a conference championship game in thirty three years, so if he was able and they were able to get that done, they would have been way ahead of schedule. So I'm not surprised to see Philly in this spot. But what stands out most to you about an Eagles team Terrell did a lot of people believe is the most talented team in all of pro football.
Speaker 3: I would have to say, well, we could just go based off the NFC Championship game. And this is something that you know, a good friend of mine, Scott, used to always talk about and one of my high school coaches just always say this, But like, the line of scrimmage is a very important thing in football, and I think the Eagles just found a way to win the line of scrimmage. They they ran the ball very well. I think they had what six rushing touchdowns in that game or something like that. And if you can't stop the run in football, I think it's it's going to be a long day. So I'll start there. Their their running beings has been very good from all their running backs, especially obviously Saquan Jalen Hurts is running really well, and they can they can throw the balls as well. So I think all around there playing well. Their their defense is playing well, and I think they've got a good shot to beat the Chiefs. It will probably be tough, but I mean that's that's what football is for. You don't want anything to be a cakewalk, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Terrell Bird just the safety Okay, you're you're.
Speaker 1: Standing there and a running back is broken free from the line and you have to tackle either Barkley or Derrick Henry.
Speaker 2: Who are you choosing? Who's who's tougher to deal with?
Speaker 3: I don't really. I wouldn't say that I fear either of them, but I mean I don't. I mean, they're both really good running backs. I'd probably take I would take either of them, whichever one.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, if I'm being honest. One thing, this is another thing Sky used to always say was limit the damage. So I would. They haven't made a man to run with that leg, So That's where I'm shooting, and I would just do my best to not get hurtled at the same time.
Speaker 2: I like that, all right.
Speaker 1: Chiefs Eagles super Bowl fifty nine, Kansas City is a one point five point favorite.
Speaker 2: The line hasn't moved. I thought there would be money one way or the other.
Speaker 1: But it opened up at one point five, and that was five days ago and it stayed at one point five. Here's how I'll pose the question. I'll start here. The Eagles win super Bowl fifty nine, if what.
Speaker 3: The Eagles win super Bowl fifty nine, if they can. If they can run the ball the way they've been running, the Eagles win Super Bowl for fifty nine, and not saying that they can't pass the ball win. They definitely can pass the ball win if they run the ball and they find a way to get let's say one hundred and fifty to two hundred yards rushing. I don't know, collectively, not just by one person. I think I think it'd be pretty tough for the Chiefs to win the game in my opinion.
Speaker 1: And the Chiefs win Super Bowl fifty nine and we see a three pat.
Speaker 4: If what the Chiefs win Super Bowl fifty nine if they can, like on contrary to what I just said, contain the Eagles in their rushing game and play the way they've been playing in.
Speaker 3: The Super Bowl in the fourth quarter of the last few years. I think their ability to play well late in their games in the last couple of years and the last three Super Bowls they won in the last five years, their ability to play late in the game and play well has really helped them hoist that trophy three times. So I think if they can do that again towards the end of the game, you know, the second half of the game. I think that'll make sure that they win the game.
Speaker 1: What are you doing these days, Sorell Let's I'm sure you fans would love to hear an update. I know you were with the Bills and you were placed on injured reserve, So what's what's what's life like for you right now?
Speaker 2: And what are you hoping comes next?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still in California's still training, I'm healthy, had a few workouts this season, but there's nothing nothing, nothing stuck through, still playing, you know. So I've had a little bit of communication with a couple of teams, but you know, until until things are set and stone, nothing really happened. So just training. I'm in California right now, looking to find a place to live outside of California because I love this place. It'll always be home, but just just looking to to find something new. Probably we'll make a trip or two out to Utah this this offseason, so that'll be pretty nice to to come back and see my see my favorite people, see one of my favorite cities in the United States, So that'll be nice.
Speaker 1: Who do you keep in contact out this way? You know, without this way, we have a lot of your former teammates on Zach was on not too long ago. Who are your you team? So you continue to talk to and stay in contact.
Speaker 3: With honestly a lot of them. I keep it. I still talk to Zach. I talked to Julian for two I guess two big names. I talked to Soup here and there a lot of T. J. Green, Philipia, There's there's a lot Sampson, Nakula. There's a lot of guys that I still talked to from from Utah, COLC Mariner, I don't know's there's a lot. I'd say that I stay in contact with a lot of guys just because we we had a close knit bond at Utah and it'll probably continue for the rest of our list.
Speaker 2: What are your what are your thoughts on?
Speaker 1: Since you and I last spoke, there was a lot of conversation about what would happen with coach with after a rough year, and he's announced that he's coming back for year twenty one. What's your reaction to your form of ball coach on the sidelines for another year for these Utah years.
Speaker 3: I'm happy for him. I didn't think, if I'm being honest, before last season, I thought that would probably be his last season, not that I knew anything under the table or anything. I just I just was thinking like that'd be his last season. But once we fell short to BYU, I think I don't think in my opinion, from my point of view, I don't think he would have allowed himself to leave with that bad taste in his mouth. So I think he's gonna come back with a vengeance this year and do pretty well, and in my opinion, maybe this will be his last year. But who knows. He's a strong man. If you see, he probably is still working out like crazy now, so I'm sure he's still in good health and still able to keep going.
Speaker 1: Since you and I last spoke as well, it's been a minute. A coach you know very very well. In morgan Scalley, it was announced that he is the contingency plan once Kyle decides that he wants to do something else with his time, that job is Morgan's. I would imagine you have some thoughts on that, tro What do you think about the plan here in Salt Lake.
Speaker 3: I'm happy for him. I have a lot of respects for him. He's not only a great coach, but a great person as well, and I feel like I learned. I learned a lot from college. I think I don't know. I couldn't say enough good good things about him, and I'm excited for his future and his family and when he gets a chance to take take the reins as the head coach at Utah, I'm sure I'll be there just like I am there now, you know, still supporting them and seeing them do well.
Speaker 2: Have you ever thought about media. You're pretty good at this, you know, and I and Terrelle I interview.
Speaker 1: I know, I know you're only twenty six and hopefully you have a lot of football left to play. But I interview a lot of former players, and I'll say I've interviewed a lot of your former teammates, and I'll just say gently at times it's hard for me to drag answers out of them, but you're.
Speaker 2: Really good at this. Have you ever considered that maybe down the.
Speaker 3: Road, I've considered it. I think it's I think it's very I have a lot of respects for everybody in the media from I think my right after my rookie year, I did the spring game and I worked with some of the guys from the PAC twelve and calling the spring spring game, so being able to see it from that view and talking to you and just being on the radio and things. It's like, I don't know. I think I just have a lot of respects for the profession. I think it's really cool. It's not something I would ever count out. I think it's pretty cool. I just haven't thought about it extensively. But I mean, I guess if another person tells me that it I sound pretty good on the media, I guess I should probably really think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're no, you are. And believe me, I can tell when players are good at it. I can tell when they want to do it, and I can tell when they're on the phone and they're scrolling through their mentions or they're swiping.
Speaker 2: Right or whatever.
Speaker 1: So you're present and I appreciate that. I want to move over here because, as I reference, we talk to a lot of your teammates, and for my money, Trell, your twenty nineteen Utah team may have been the most talent and I mean this now, I mean seriously, like top to bottom, it could have been the most It could be the most talented Utah football team in the history of the program. And obviously four undefeated a eight undefeated and those guys have acclaim the seasons that are very very special. But yet, do you guys ever talk about twenty nineteen, how many just awesome players you had and what could have been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think the more we talk about it, and the more people talk about it, it just makes it that much worse that we weren't. We didn't get a chance at the to you know, Oh, I guess we did get a chance. We just didn't do it, so I'll put it that way. But yeah, I think we talked about it a lot, and we know, but it's hard to have no hardware and say that you were a good team. So I mean, if we're being honest, everybody plays this game for the love of the game and not and to win, and we won a good amount, but just not enough. So I think we were a great team. I think I always think that we were a great team, and I'm just grateful to be a part of that that those great four years, and not only just twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Before I set you loose, and I do have to apologize to all the former players who I asked this question to, and I've asked your teammates.
Speaker 2: We asked Zach a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: You know Terrell Burgess, you know, good looking, charismatic kid, Utah football player, senior year, really really good. I don't know, man, two hundred and three hundred K or something like that, Like, do you.
Speaker 2: Ever look at it?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like, you ever look at what college football is now?
Speaker 2: And go, man, I was just a few years too late.
Speaker 3: I know, it's crazy because I was just talking about this as one of my friends about how like, oh, yeah, our parents just had us too early. But yeah, I mean, it's crazy to even think about it. I'm happy for the players now. I think I've always thought that college football players deserve to get paid, So I'm excited that they're doing it. Is I can only just hope that they continue to make the right choices and micro ight decisions with the money they're giving at given at a young age, and earn not just given, earned at the young age, and continue to do right and help the younger generation be able to just keep going. But yeah, no, I'm excited for them. I think my senior year, maybe I would have made a little bit, but you know, hindsight's always twenty twenty and will ultimately never know that. But I'm not bitter about it. I'm really happy for them, and I just I hope it continues to just grow the sport.
Speaker 1: Where do you keep that Super Bowl ring?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I should be saying that on the all right, fairnore in California. It's here. It's in a safe space. It's in a lock box here in California. I mean, I don't really take out very often, but it's something also to whoever asked, So it's a great accomplishment. I'm just happy to be a part of that team.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. Hey, Trell, thanks for the time, man, have a great weekend. We'll get you back on soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, sir, thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Rell Burgess really really good player for Utah twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: His senior year just completely blew up. Drafted by the.
Speaker 1: Rams one hundred and fourth overall, third round twenty twenty. Unfortunately broke his ankle, injured reserve. But he does have a Super Bowl ring that Super Bowl the Rams won when they beat the Bengals. Spent some time with the Giants, spend all the time with the Commanders. Most recently with the Buffalo Bills and then he was waved a little bit into the season, so now he's back in California training.
Speaker 2: And trying to get in shape. Hopefully gets a chance.
Speaker 1: He's only twenty six years old and obviously a really good player and an excellent player for Utah back in the day. Appreciate Terrell Burgess the time on the program.