Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand kf.
Speaker 2: I AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Tiffany Hobbs here with you until seven and then from seven to nine tonight check out Michael Monks, kfi's own Michael Monks as he introduces his two hour special about what is happening now in the next phase of the recovery from the LA fires. You can listen in right here on the KFIAM six forty dot com website, in your car, wherever your AM radio is, and on the app. And if you miss it tonight, don't worry. You can catch it tomorrow from two to four pm for the replay, but it airs first tonight from seven pm to nine pm, So make sure you check out. Michael Monks is very special, a very special feature. Now let's get into something that is a bit of a pivot from our last segment. We had a wonderful segment with mister Ernie Singleton music industry. Let's make sure you catch that on the podcast under Featured Segments. This not as not nearly as fun of a topic, but something that needs to be shared. And when I came across this story, I said, you know, there's a lot of focus on what we're putting in our bodies, how much we're putting in our bodies. Of course, weight loss and what we consume is always at the top of many of the conversations we have, especially as we get closer this summer and with talk about eggs and the prices of things going up, especially when it comes to food and other produce or produce in our stores. The talk continues about weight loss and what's happening around weight loss. And what also continues is the popularity of the semi glue tie drugs. The main one, the one that has probably the best name recognition, is o Zimpic. There's also we go Vy and these other kind of off brand ones. But for the last many years, drugs like ozempic have become popular with the masses, first starting with those who are managing their diabetes, and then another niche group came along and found out that it worked for weight loss, and now you can find ozempic pretty much anywhere online as long as you have something like a doctor's note or some sort of prescription that allows you to get it. And that is because it is a drug it's not a supplement, it is not something that is considered to be natural. No, it's a trug. It's a semi glue tide and you inject it. And because it's a drug, there are side effects. And what we're not seeing right now are commercials about semi glue tides with people in bathtubs holding hands while looking at the sunset talking about the virtues of their weight loss, while also along the bottom of the screen you have that ticker that says this drug can give you heart heart palpitations, and can cause stroke, and can cause kidney disease and all these other things. Because the popularity of ozempic far outweighs the side effects, at least right now, there's been a lot of talk about these side effects, including ozimpic face. That's said to be when people experience kind of this rapid weight loss, their face hollows and starts to sag.
Speaker 3: All the fatty tissue in their.
Speaker 2: Face goes away, and their faces are left kind of forlorn and again saggy. So ozimpic face became synonymous with ozimpic weight loss. There's also something called ozimpic, but the same thing that was happening to people's faces. It's happening to people's rear ends. You no longer had that plump, nice bagside. You had one that was sagging, one that was not necessarily the most appealing to you or to others to look at for that matter. And people started to really complain about their bodies and the side effects from these drugs. Another was hair loss. People were saying that they were having issues with hair loss and the side effects continue. But you don't hear as much about them per se as maybe we need to.
Speaker 3: Well that's until.
Speaker 2: Now The Daily Mail is running an article and it is called more Americans on Ozimpic Go blind as doctor's sound alarm over potentially startling side effect. So now you can enter blindness into the conversation. Here's what the article says. Experts have sounded the alarm about blockbuster weight loss drugs like Ozimpic leaving users blind, Kayla, have you heard of.
Speaker 3: This as a side effect?
Speaker 2: Has this been anything that's come across your social media friend groups? Any thing about blindness?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I have only heard the mental effects that it has on people. I didn't hear that it can cause depression or sadness or you know, feelings that necessarily that you're not necessarily used to. Really, yeah, I've heard that, but I haven't heard physical elements except for I helped you lose weight.
Speaker 3: And that's only physical effect that I've heard, which people want and see. I've heard only the physical side.
Speaker 2: I hadn't heard the psychological or emotional side of So they have all these thin people running around.
Speaker 3: And they're depressed, yes, exactly, or worse, it's what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Wow, Well, blindness is now the newest thing on the list. Several studies have linked the shots of these semi glue tides, specifically ozimpic two conditions that cause inflammation and block blood flow to the eye. And when you block blood flow to the eyes, it can cause severe and sometimes permanent vision loss. Great, wonderful, just wonderful. Right, So you can't even see how skinny you've gotten. You're blind and you just can feel it. You have to hope that she look good and that your face isn't sagging, your butt's not sagging, but you can't even see it. Now, researchers have detailed nine new reports. There are nine new reports of patients in the US who say they have gone blind after taking one of these drugs, and they're citing again ozimbic and monjarro to be the main drugs that are causing this side effects. There are nine people who say they've gone blind. One woman injected a dose of semi glue tide for her diabetes and she woke up the next day blind in her left eye. That prompted her to stop taking the medication. You think, right, you're blind, you wake up blind?
Speaker 3: She stopped. Did she get her vision back?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: So, here we go.
Speaker 2: So she stopped taking the medication for two months before her diabetes and FOT sheally forced her to go back on it. So she was taking it to manage her diabetes, and she stopped because of the side effect of blindness and the one eye. And when she stopped, her diabetes got worse. So the management became there you go, that's the issue.
Speaker 3: So she stopped. The diabetes forced her to.
Speaker 2: Get back on it, and two weeks after she restarted, she lost vision in the other eye.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So now while she was originally treating the diabetes and then seeing the side effect or seeing the kind of the consequence of that be weight loss as well, she is now dealing with the blindness in both eyes. Nine reports of people going through this. Another woman who was taking the semi glue tide for a year, woke up one morning with something called a painless shadow above her left eye. Don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound like we wanted. When she went and got tested, because of course, what the heck is this, it revealed that blood vessels in her retina had become damaged, leading to blindness. Another person, yet another person of these nine, said that in his left eyes, I don't think this is just women. In his left eye, after taking one of the semi glue tides, he suffered bleeding, and when doctors told him to keep taking the drug because there was a lack of evidence linking the bleeding to the drug, it only got worse. So here are doctors, this doctor specifically saying, hey, no, no, no, there's been no study that says.
Speaker 3: That this is true.
Speaker 2: It could just be a happy, little, unhappy little coincidence. Right, this is not good, but it's not linked to this. Just keep taking it, you'll be fine. This gentleman kept taking it, and his blindness got worse. Researchers wrote in Jamma Optomology, this publication this research journal last month, just last month, that it's not clear exactly what could be causing the side effects.
Speaker 3: So there you go. They don't know, but they say that.
Speaker 2: Because it's unclear, you need to be careful. You start to feel anything or experience a shadow, you need to go ahead and consult with your doctor because you could very well.
Speaker 3: Be putting yourself at risk of blindness.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're gonna talk a bit about California being at the center of the egg crisis, what can we expect, And then we're gonna talk to Rent the Chicken, Rent the Chicken, and we're gonna hear all about their homestead organization and how you can rent a chicken and produce your own eggs right here on KFI A.
Speaker 3: Not well, you're not gonna produce your eggs right here.
Speaker 1: No, at home, you're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand, KFI AM.
Speaker 3: Six forty five everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Tiffany Hobbs here with you and producer Kaylain and I are having some fun off air, so that's what the laughter is from. We have a good time here in the studio, don't we. Kayla I love this show, Tiffin.
Speaker 3: I love this show. I loved your interviewer, Ernie Singleton.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: You want to high from that, and that's what we're talking about. Just you know the pictures that you sent of me, I look like a kid in a candy store. I'm just giddy and so just happy to be talking to someone who's a legend, someone.
Speaker 5: I respect like that and breaking news because he's given us like breaking information that he like. What if you missed it, make sure you check it out on our future segments.
Speaker 3: It will be up there. Shortly said.
Speaker 2: It was the first time he was talking about it, so you have to listen back to find out what that is. Very special, very special. Eggs you laugh, but yes, eggs. Eggs again are the conversation starter. They're what everyone's talking about.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you're laughing about it, then for good reason, because it's ridiculous. What's going on with eggs right now? I went to story yesterday, day before yesterday, one of the two. On Friday, on Valentine's Day, no Thursday, I was stopping for Valentine's Day and I went to a Vonn's and the Vonds.
Speaker 3: Had a good stock of eggs.
Speaker 2: I was happy to see that it was a good stock of eggs, and I kind of waited around because I was waiting for this crush of people to flood the aisle becas it didn't seem real. It seemed like a setup, because every time I've gone to Von's in the last maybe month, there's been one or two cartons and you open it up because you want eggs, and four or five of them are cracked, some of them are missing, or they're seventeen ninety nine for a dozen, and I refuse. I don't know about you, but I just can't move myself to spend double what something is worth just because it's there. I don't want to subscribe to supply and demand. We already do that with so many things. So eggs have been a source of contention for a lot of us. And as we now know because it's been talked about at nauseum, the influenza crisis with birds, the avian influenza crisis, the bird flew seems to be the reason why egg prices have skyrocket and why they're in fact so scarce. The average price of a dozen eggs in California right now thirteen dollars and forty nine cents thirteen forty nine. That's a lot more than what it was just at the beginning of the year. The average price at the beginning of the year was four ninety five four ninety five, maybe somewhere around seven dollars if you were at a price to your store, like maybe a Whole Foods or something like that, but still not thirteen forty nine for an average. And again you're seeing them for a lot higher in certain stores, and they've always been higher in California. That takes us to our next stories. Why are things this way in our state? Why is California dealing with a lot of the crisis, specifically when it comes to scarcity and inflation. And there are some reasons behind this, and what is in fact in store for California's future as it relates to eggs. So why are egg prices so high? Again, there's the Avian flu. And before I continue, we were talking about sema glue tides and I said semi glue tides. It is not and gerald Stone, one of our great listeners, mentioned that I was pronouncing it incorrectly.
Speaker 3: So it's sema glue tide. And this is Avian flu.
Speaker 2: Don't you dare say avi on It is avian flu, not like the water and that flu has led to the death of more than twenty one million chickens, including thirteen million in December alone. According to the US Department of Agriculture, the population of chickens those conveniently or conventionally caged has been reduced by eight percent.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: They're saying that this virus is unprecedented. We've heard that at way too many times in the last five years, specifically about viruses unprecedented, unprecedented times. Well, it is still true. And when it comes to the avian flu, that's what we're dealing with. And when it comes to the situation in California, people are trying to keep up with demand. The suppliers are finding it very difficult to meet the demand. The cost of a dozen eggs has risen fifteen percent over the last four weeks, more on the West coast. Our prices are particularly high because California relies largely on its own production of eggs.
Speaker 3: We don't outsource.
Speaker 2: We produce our own eggs, and that's been diminished because of the influenza outbreak. Forty percent of eggs consumed in California are produced right here. There is some good news on the horizon. Egg prices will likely return to normal once the chicken population is replenished and eggs are being produced at a normal rate. But right now people are hoarding. You can see it all over social media. People are hoarding. They're buying pallettes and pallets of eggs, They're selling eggs. I've seen eggs sold individually at liquor stores. This is unprecedented because now we have people trying to make money off of this crisis that we are all in fact experiencing. Most grocers are even implementing restrictions on how many dozens you can buy per trip. When it comes to the political side of this, our president, President Trump did in fact campaign on the promise that he would lower grocery prices, and he had frequently blamed President Biden for inflation and high everyday costs. We are waiting for that to take hold. That would be great, That would be great.
Speaker 5: Back in my day, eggs were so disposable you would throw them at people's houses. That that's you off. Now they're like it's like throwing a diamond ring.
Speaker 2: You must have been rich back in your day, back in my day, back in your day. But yeah, I mean, we're looking forward to hopefully some reduction in these prices again as the chicken population is replenished, but for the time being, eggs are going to stay very, very high. Up next, we have another interview, a wonderful interview that's going to give us all a lot of insight into the egg production business and chicken farming and this business. Rent the Chicken is going to allow you to rent your very own chicken or two or three. We'll find out just how many you'll be able to rent and what you are expected to produce. On the other side of the break, KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Took me Hobbs here with you.
Speaker 2: Make sure you stay tuned for Michael Monks coming up from seven to nine as he talks about in his very special feature what is happening now in this next phase of recovery after the fires that ravaged southern California. It's two hour special airing right here on KFI and you can catch that tonight from seven to nine and again tomorrow from two to four, So make sure you don't miss that. If you've missed any part of our show today, you can absolutely catch up on what we talked about. We've covered some amazing topics, have had some great conversations. We're gonna have another one coming up in a moment, and you can do that on the iHeartRadio app or online at KFIAM six forty dot com under featured segments. Make sure you follow everything so that you can know what is happening on Saturdays with Tiffany. We have a very very wonderful show each week. Let's get into our next incredible guest or should I say egg silent guest? I would say eggcellent. That'd be a lot better. This conversation talks about something a little different than what you might be accustomed to. You might have heard of farm to table, Kayla, have you heard of farm to table?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well this particular concept is yard to table. How cute and it is started by This concept was started by Jin and Phil Tompkins out there in Freeport, Pennsylvania when they found it rent the Chicken in two thousand and thirteen Rent the Chicken.
Speaker 3: Their objective was.
Speaker 2: To help people have just one food source closer to their table. Yes, not the market, not the grocery store, but a food source closer to your own table. And they call that concept again, yard to table. Each location of Rent the Chicken is a family run affiliate helping families bring that one simple food source close to their own tables at home, one chicken rental at a time. And about the rental just a little bit. Rent the Chicken provides different increments of actual chickens. You might be able to get.
Speaker 3: Two hens or four egg laying hens.
Speaker 2: You'll also get all of the materials required to be able to house those hens and produce eggs, including a coop, a food dish, a water dish, and food for a five to six month rental.
Speaker 3: They also provide literature so.
Speaker 2: That you can read up on what you're doing and not just get out there all willy nilly and do these chickens some harm. No, they want you to take care of these chickens and to do right by them so that they can produce for you and your family. Rent the Chicken is a very special organization and in the wake of what's going on with the egg scarcity, with the Avian flu, with these price hikes, especially hitting us hard in California. As we've all been feeling, Rent the Chicken is aiming to combat that and provide you with your very own egg laying hens. And I'm very very happy to welcome Homestead Jin of Rent the Chicken, one of the founders with her husband there, Homestead Gin is joining us here on the show.
Speaker 4: Hi there, Gin, good afternoon. I don't know what time it is, good evening, It's okay. I am so blessed. That was beautiful. Oh. I've never been introduced so accurately and with such passion as you just introduced me. And I am honored. So thank you for having me today. I really appreciate it, and you nailed it. I don't know what else we have to talk about.
Speaker 2: You are most welcome, Jen. And can I call you Jin or would you like me to call you Homestead Gin?
Speaker 4: You pick either one.
Speaker 2: I'll call you Jin for the sake of time. Homestead Gin is kind of long. I do love it. Though I do love it, we would absolutely fit that in at some point, okay, But just so you know the reason that I introduced you with that passion and with such detail is because that's what your organization is, rooted in passion, in a detailed execution of what you do. You're not just out here giving chickens away for fun. No, there's a true objective to it, and it's so that people can have a more holistic experience in their own homes. They don't have to go to the market. They can experience what it is to raise a live animal, a hen or an egg producing hen, and to then benefit from the labor of that hen to have fresh eggs on their kitchen table. And I think that that anyone who enters into that sort of relationship with rent the Chicken has to be should be passionate about what they're doing. So thank you for all that you are providing.
Speaker 4: Oh you're welcome, egg Cited to be on your show. I'm thrilled to chat about rented Chicken and all things chicken and yard to table. We could. We have a lot to chat.
Speaker 3: About, for sure, we do.
Speaker 2: And I have a question right out the gate, okay, And I've been thinking about it long and hard since I was told that you would be coming onto the show. I've gone back and forth over how to ask this question, but I feel like it is one of the most pressing questions on the list, and that question is homestead jin what came first?
Speaker 3: The chicken or the homestead.
Speaker 4: The chicken or the homestead, or chicken or the egg. I don't even know. The chicken, the homestead, the egg, it all came first. For in regards to rented chicken, we say that with rented chicken, the hen came first, okay, and then the egg because we deliver the rental package with the hen and the coop with we have a hatching program as well well, so we provide a five week hatching program with an incubator and fertile egg so people can enjoy the experience of hatching baby chicks live in their home. We provide this to schools, daycares, preschool, senior care facilities, and even libraries participate. It's incredible. And then they keep the chicks for two weeks. Just when they're not so cute, we pick them up and take them back. So in the case of hatch the chicken, the egg comes first, And in regards to the homestead, the homestead came first, and then the chickens came homestead Phil before he was homestead Phil and I met when we both lived outside of Baltimore, Maryland, and then not a.
Speaker 2: Place where you would normally have perhaps a homestead right in Maryland, kind of an urban that's.
Speaker 4: Right, it was very urban. We did not have a homestead, although homestead Phil took over my very nice, newly planned out flower beds and planted carrots because he was determined to play something that we could grow and eat. Yeah. So then we decided to move to rural western Pennsylvania, one county over from where I grew up, and he warned me. He said, I want to do some homesteading. I want to get some chickens, and I want to have a big garden, and I would like to raise some meat rabbits. And I was like, you've lost your mind. You can pick two, That's what I told him. So since then, we've had chickens that lay eggs, we have chickens for meat, we raised turkeys, we've had meat rabbits. The garden gets bigger every single year. He truly is homestead Phil. Jen.
Speaker 3: What is a meat rabbit?
Speaker 4: Oh, so it's not associated with rented chickens, but they are large, large, rabbits that are bread and raised to be processed to put meat on your table.
Speaker 3: Got it, got it?
Speaker 4: I thought he was in, But golly, I make the best buffalo dip and I did not say chicken.
Speaker 2: I'll leave.
Speaker 4: I'll leave the imagination to you.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: You know there's a lot to be asked of you, Jin, and we don't have enough in this segment. Can I keep you on for one more segment so that we can find out some more details about Rent the Chicken, some more pressing questions about things like climate and resources and other factors that could help or hinder people who may want to enter into your Rent the Chicken program. Can we do that on the other side of.
Speaker 4: The break, yes, please wonder to do it.
Speaker 3: I'll thank you so much.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Homestead Jin of Rent the Chicken, a beautiful organization, and she's going to talk to us a bit more about the homestead organization that she and her husband started back in twenty thirteen and how they now are helping you produce egg laying hens. I have to say that slowly egg laying hens with Rent the Chicken. We'll talk about that on the other side of the break. Kfi Am six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand kf I Am.
Speaker 2: Six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Tiffy Hobbs with you here for one more segment, and then Michael Monks comes aboard via a very special two hour broadcast talking about what's happening now as the next phase of recovery occurs in the fire areas all around southern California. Make sure you listen to that very special broadcast from seven to nine right here on KFI, and tomorrow from two to four we are talking to Homestead Gin. Homestead Gin is a part of an organization that she started with her husband Phil in twenty thirteen called Rent the Chicken, and they are bringing chickens to your home, not in a way that you might be accustomed to. No, you are going to raise these chickens or chicks. Gin was explaining that to us in the last segment. And when these chickens mature, when you have these egg laying hens, you will then be able to produce your own eggs and hopefully be able to kind of subvert or get around the egg crisis that is looming all around the country, as is rent the Chicken. They are located all around the country, and Gin, I have some questions for you before we wrap up.
Speaker 3: When you think about creating.
Speaker 2: Your own chicken enclosure, because you provide rent the Chicken provides all the materials necessary for people to be able to house these hens in their homes or in their yards. What are some of the barriers that may prevent people from being able to participate in rent the Chicken. Do you have any examples of someone who may have said, Hey, I want a chicken, and then you get out there to their home and you're like, no, that's not going to work.
Speaker 4: Well, we do our best to ask the question of talk to us about your yard space when they make a reservation or when they're making their reservation, so that we can not be as alerted upon arrival that oh, my goodness, this is not going to work. Some barriers could be our potential renters really need to have some bit of green space or dirt space. We have had people call and they say, I live in an apartment. Can the chicken coop go.
Speaker 3: On my balcony?
Speaker 4: That is not a great choice. The chickens won't be as happy in that space, and they do. You know, your viewers might not. No chickens poop, so that has to go somewhere, you know, and and on the balcony is not the best place for it. We just want the chickens to be happy. We want our renters to have a great experience. We need a way to get the coop to the backyard, and if necessary, most of our coops can be delivered partially assembled, so we can get into a smaller space that way, and it works out fine. Like we do ask some questions in advance about the yard space to make sure that we believe we can navigate that coop into the backyard. That's most of our concern is making sure the coop can get to the backyard.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: And I saw on your website that you allow these chickens to be rented for five to six months. How soon can someone expect, under really good circumstances and conditions for their hens to produce eggs?
Speaker 4: So we have these amazing hens. Sometimes they lay in transit on the way to the renters out. Oh wow, usually within a couple of days. Sometimes sometimes their little systems get a little out of whackus, So what's going on in life? Once they make the transport, But it might take a few days to get back into the swing of things. But really they are usually ready to lay at delivery.
Speaker 2: And you are across the country. But we're speaking to a lot of people who are right here in Southern California. Where how can they participate in Rent the Chicken? If they live in southern California, where are you best contacted? Can they come out and visit your homestead? What can Southern Californians look forward to when they involve themselves with Rent the Chicken?
Speaker 4: Great question. They can go to rentichicken dot com, click on the pricing location or the drop down for California, Los Angeles. That's where we are. We don't really offer farm tours currently because of biosecurity and all the things happening with avian flu. We just want to keep our risks as minimal as possible. But if someone's interested, they can give us a call, make an online inquiry, or if they're all in and they see that they're within the delivery range, they can make a reservation right there on the website and then we'll be in touch about their yard space. Make sure that it's a good fit and plan on making our deliveries in April or May in the Greater LA area.
Speaker 2: Wonderful April or May. And again, can you give your website out one more time?
Speaker 4: Yes, Rent the Chicken dot Com. There's no hyphens. The is our middle name and we don't use a or hyphens. Rent the Chicken dot com.
Speaker 3: Got it.
Speaker 2: Rent the Chicken dot com drop down, California to be able to inquire online or get a phone number so that you can get your process started to get these egg laying hens to your yard space, and your yard will in fact be vetted first. They do their vetting to make sure that these are optimal situations or circumstances for these hens. No balconies sorry, people who live in apartments, sorry about that. You got to keep going to the market or you can find a local farmer that way. But you can't have hens on your balcony if you have dogs.
Speaker 3: Maybe another situation you're going to have to inquire about.
Speaker 2: You want to make sure that your circumstances are optimal for these egg laying hens from Rentthchicken, Rent the Chicken dot Com drop down California. We've been speaking to Homestead Gin of Rent the Chicken.
Speaker 3: She's one half.
Speaker 2: Of the duo, the Merry Duo of Homestead Gin and Homestead Phil Jin. Thank you so very much for spending some time with us. You have been absolutely excellent.
Speaker 4: Oh, you've been fantastic too. Thanks for the opportunity, Tiffany and Kayla, you are so welcome.
Speaker 2: Everyone. Make sure you hang out seven to nine tonight so you can check out Michael Monks's special. He's doing a two hour news special on the fires, airing tonight from seven pm to nine pm. It's called La Fires A Path Forward. They're looking at the devastating effects of the wildfires through the voices of people most affected, the people who covered it, and the ones taking charge to re build in the aftermath right here on KFI and tomorrow during the replay from two pm to four pm.
Speaker 3: It's been a blast. You've all been excellent.
Speaker 2: Make sure you re listen to our podcast once it's up under featured segments so you can hear the great interview with Ernie Singleton, you can hear the great interview with Homestead Jin and everything in between. And I'll see you right back here Next Saturday from five to seven, KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, KFI
Speaker 1: AM six forty on demand