Speaker 1: Happy hump Day, Kentucky Anda. Welcome in to a Wednesday edition of Kentucky Anda's morning News. Coffee and Company here on news radio eight forty w h as the whole cruise Here myself, Nick Coffee, Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden, and John Shannon. We have, as symboled to give you four hours of what you come to expect, news, traffic, weather, hopefully some good information, maybe some nonsense along the way and fellas. I don't know if the thunder was as loud and disruptive overnight as it was for you guys where it's compared to where it was for me. But people who don't have the alarm clocks set as early as we do, they might have. They might have been woken up by the thunder this morning. It was. It was pretty pretty ferocious.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that's sorry, boss. My wife was up.
Speaker 3: I heard her up this morning. The storm started just before I left the house, at least that's the ones I heard. And then I heard her up wrestling around too. She gets anxious when the storm's hit, and.
Speaker 1: So my kids do as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, John, I was already I was getting ready to feed the baby once once the storm started, so they didn't wake me up, but they kind of kept me from going back to sleep after the fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't any real loud, humongous boom of thunder, but it was just the rolling thunder kind of consistent, and for a while it was raining pretty hard once I got Once I got on the way, since I hit sixty five, of the rain had kind of stopped. But yeah, the storms were really active all throughout the night. I got up in the middle of the night, which middle of the night for me is now like midnight, which is crazy, but that's just you know, the adjustment. And it was already it was already raining pretty good out out my way. So we'll get you caught up on the forecast coming up here shortly. Also with rain, of course, that means there may be some more accidents than usual, So Bobby Ellis will get us a check on the traffic coming up in just a few minutes. But I wanted to start by letting you all know and letting Scott Fitzgerald know that I have a new level of respect for Scott, which is tough to say because I've already had a lot of respect for him. But you showed up yesterday forgetting your cell phone.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that was That was the worst, dude.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned it before or the show started, and I kind of forgot about it, and I just remembered earlier this morning because I left mine in my car and then had to just walk, make the walk right back, so from the I got to almost the elevators, so I didn't make it far and then I had the panic, am I gonna do what Scott did yesterday? And luckily when I got back to the car and my phone was my phone was there, it was all good. But I mean, you had to have been anxious and just going through withdraws not having your phone, and I know you're probably not glued to your phone the way I am. And I say that because I'm I mean, I have an issue. I will we use the word addiction. I think way too loosely about things, but I don't. I mean, I'm I'm addicted to my phone.
Speaker 3: I was well, and it's eff And I know when I don't have my phone, first, when I don't feel it in my pocket, and then I look at my phone and my Bluetooth isn't connected or in my car, then I'm like, oh, and that's when the heart dropped.
Speaker 2: And you're at that point where you're on your way to work, you're too far.
Speaker 1: So you made it too far before you realize exactly you're.
Speaker 2: Too far before you have to go back home. And and I think I told.
Speaker 1: You, I'm not sure there's a too far for me, right.
Speaker 3: The worst thing for me was I always having And we get to a point in the show where I've done all I can do for one day and that's okay, that's a good place to be.
Speaker 2: That means we've got things done.
Speaker 3: But I was going so I jump on TikTok and I started scrolling through that one.
Speaker 2: I was having TikTok.
Speaker 1: Withdraw just because the scroll. I'm sure, what is TikTok for you? Could be Facebook for others exactly. It's just right, it's just how we're wired, and it's I don't know. It's probably not a good thing, I know, but I don't know. Maybe as I've come to grips with the fact that I have an addiction that I'm probably not going to shake, maybe I'm just trying to normalize it because I know we're not alone as far as just being attached to our phones, but I feel like ten years ago, maybe five, six years ago, if someone would have left their phone at home, it would have been an easier decision to say, Okay, I'll be all right, I'll ride it out. I'll send an email when I get to work to let my her husband know that I don't have my phone whatever. But now I just I don't know. I think each year that passes, we become more attached to them. And then look, there's some people who when it comes to their workday tasks, maybe half of what they do is just things they could They've just come to do on their phone because exactly the ability.
Speaker 3: To well, I have to authenticate, like if I want to log if I'm away from the studio and I want to jump a good point, some of the software I have to authenticate on my phone.
Speaker 1: Without that device, you wouldn't have been able to get in.
Speaker 2: So I had, so I found myself email.
Speaker 3: It's like when you used to move and you did change of address cards, Like I'm emailing everybody that I know that contact.
Speaker 2: I'm like, guys, I don't have my phone, so that's all you can do. That's what I realized. How much I text during this Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I think just being unreachable, knowing that you know, it's not that, it's not that we just assume that everyone at all times is trying to contact us, but knowing that if they did, there'd be no way. You wouldn't get it. It's just a it's it's a it's a weird feeling. I look, if it was me, I would have been fine. I would have I would have made it. I would have been able to let my wife know like it would not. I would have been just fine as far or is just like being able to do my job, being able to have a normal day, But like I would have been in my own head so much about not having it, and that, you know, maybe I need to not have a phone for a day and just go through it cold turkey and realize, Okay, I don't need to be so connected to it. But I thought about it this morning. I was thinking because I wouldn't it would be an exaggeration to say that I had a panic attack. But that walked back to my car, that was probably fifteen yards I was. I was in full panic mode, like, oh my god, I don't have my phone. What I'm gonna do? What I'm gonna, I don't know what I have. My wife past I was gonna to bring it to me. She's got to take day off work, Like, there's no way I can't have my phones.
Speaker 2: Well, I guarantee you this.
Speaker 3: When I walked out of the house this morning, I made sure I had and I've done that with my lunch.
Speaker 2: You forget your lunch one day, man, You're like, especially if you're close to a payday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you forget your lunch. You're like, you'll never forget your lunch again. So anyway, yeah, good stuff, man.
Speaker 1: We all have our phones today, Yes, sir, We're not gonna have panic attacks, but good stuff. Let's get a check of traffic and weather again. It's a Wednesday ed issue of Kentucky and This Morning News with Coffee and Company right here on news radio waight forty whas. So we have another update on what happened on Sunday at the Exposition Center as far as the chaos that ended up being nothing but certainly a scary situation for everyone there, those at Kentucky Kingdom and of course those at the run for the Roses basketball tournament. And the latest update that we got yesterday is an update that we don't really know what happened, and we may never know what happened. So during the show yesterday, I got a couple of messages from someone on Twitter and someone on Facebook that was sending me the ceiling of the Exposition Center and insinuating that how could a ceiling tile falling have caused that? There's no ceiling tiles here, which, judging by the picture, is correct. There's no tile like, that's just not what the ceiling looks like. That's not how it's how. It's just not really possible, I suppose. So sure enough, Maya. Greenberg had a press conference yesterday discussed seeing many things, including that what was said by LMPD was simply not what happened. In fact, I'll see if I can get the quote here, but yeah, he says that the report by police that a ceiling tile fell and hit a metal chair prompting the false active aggressor incident at the Kentucky Exposition Center was quote not accurate information that did not happen. So they still have no clue what I guess really caused it, and they may never know. And it sounds like that actually did happen, but it was a long time ago. So this is just a good example of how misinformation can really spread like crazy. And what I mean by that is apparently there was an event a basketball tournament years ago at the Exposition Center where a ceiling tile fell and caused something to happen. What that was, I don't know, but maybe somebody referenced that ran with it, or maybe somebody referenced that he thought they were talking about. And just like I would love to know, just for a social experiment, as far as how does how does that end up becoming what everybody just assumes happens? And it's not super important as far as just how how it ended up becoming just what everybody assumed happened. I guess the honest answer is because LMPD told us that's what happened. As far as where they got mixed up, I don't know, but yeah, it's it's it's gonna be probably something we never fully know. And my you know, if I had to, if I had to to give you a way to kind of wrap this whole story up, it's just a sign of how we as a society here in America know that that could happen. I mean, you know what if in fact there, we still don't know as far as what led to it truly turning into the mad dash to get out of there and to find your loved ones because of the chaos and the fear that there was an active aggressor. I mean, I just it's probably maybe one person panicking because of something we don't know what it is, and then everybody just kind of ran with it. Now, I will say the other the alarms going off that clearly was that contributed to people assuming that something something was wrong, because again there was the fire alarm did go off inside parts of the building, and that triggered that was triggered by a duct sensor, a duct smoke censer, I should say, but that that system only alerts for smoke, no other emergencies. But people that are there don't know that, so it's probably gonna end up being a mystery. LMPD has now acknowledged that they may never pinpoint what caused the initial panic, but of course have emphasized how quickly fear of a shooting can can spark that kind of chaos. LMPD chief Paul Humphrey said, quote, it frustrates me the fear of active shooter incidents is so prevalent a moment of confusion could create chaos. This should not be the norm in America. Amen. He also went on to praise the fast response from his officers, who of course believed there was a real threat. So it's a mystery, and again I think, turning into what it turned into, there were a lot of factors, but one is just that people are fearful of that because it happens way too often. Any time it happens is too often. But clearly it's not that uncommon anymore. All right, let's get a quick update of trafficking weather with Bobby Ellis. He'll tell us how the road ways are looking early this morning. Also, we'll get the updated forecast from Matt Melosovich. Scott will be back in with sports, and we got to talk about this Epstein stuff. There's no doubt in my mind that right now the MAGA crowd, and I'm sure there's still plenty that are going to support Trump and never criticize anything, and look, if that's what you want to do, knock yourself out. But there's now more noise from that crowd than I've ever heard as far as just being disappointed and almost dumbfounded that Trump is handling this Epstein stuff the way that he is, I mean, clearly not able to read the room, it seems. All right, don't go anywhere, don't move, stay with us right here. It's Kentucky as Morning News with Coffee and Company right here on news Radio eight forty whas. Thank you, John. It is five thirty five here a Kentucky and is Morning News with Coffee and Company on news Radio eight forty whas. Take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live at WHS dot com. Also listen live on the iHeartRadio app. And if you'd like to contribute to the show or ask a question, share your thoughts, you always have that option with the iHeart Radio app by using the talkback features. So just a reminder that that is there. If you click that microphone button within the app, it'll prompt you you'll get thirty seconds I believe it is, and fire away questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever you've got. Feel free to shoot those our way.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So the Epstein situation is the Epstein files. I should say, it's it's wild, I mean, and there's a couple of different ways to attack this this morning. As far as just it being a continuous talking point, we'll get into sort of Trump's seeming. I mean, I don't want to think, I don't want to say that he has an inability to read the room. I mean, I think he does on this situation. But you got to wonder who who's telling him that nobody cares. Because it's one thing for him to say that he doesn't care and that other people shouldn't care. But I think he genuinely, genuinely thinks that no one at all is wanting transparency on that situation, and he's very much wrong. Now again, I'm not acting as if everyone is upset with the way he's handled it and maybe surprised that he doesn't understand that this is a big deal and people do want the transparency. But clearly there seems to be more noise coming from the Magacide than ever as far as just being surprised, disappointed, maybe even angry, as far as just him not being able to read the room, and also continue it's one thing to just say that you don't care, but he's saying nobody cares, and then he's also saying things like it's fake news. And I just have a hard time thinking that he believes that. But what do I know. I can't read his mind, and I mean maybe he does. Maybe he just is that out of touch with with with what Americans care about. Now, I will say this, I'm not gonna lie and be a phony and act like I'm losing sleep at night because we're not going to get transparency. I mean, do I think we we are? I mean, what's what's ever wrong with being transparent about some things? And I do think this is a touchy or situation because there could be people involved that would be listed on something that would maybe have nothing to do with anything that Epstein and that crew were involved in. And you don't want to, you know, you don't want to risk somebody's livelihood because of that. But to just handle it the way they've handled it, like oh yeah, there's nothing to see here, I mean, that's that's almost insulting the intelligence of people. I mean, who would I mean, especially the way in which it was handled for soul long prior to this, right, I mean, the accusation that this was created by by Obama and who else did he blame it on? Biden and those people and it's fake news. Well that was the case and there and they did it to try to bring you down. Why wouldn't they release it? And if there's nothing, if these documents, these files don't exist, then then what was the how did you investigate? How how were how did how did Epstein go to trial and get convicted and sent to federal prison? If if nothing happened, I mean, it's just it's wild. And then you had a brief moment yesterday where it sounded as if Okay, there's enough pressure, there's enough heat, they are going to really something different than what we got last week from the DJ, and then that as of late last night, it didn't appear that was the case. So we'll see, because I don't this didn't. This didn't going away as far as people just you know, asking about it, and I don't mean just everyday American citizens. I mean, he's going to continue to be pressed by this, and my guess is that he's going to continue to he's going to continue to act like it's no big deal and that nobody cares and just hope that it goes away.
Speaker 4: President. I know you've urged people to move on, but I'm.
Speaker 5: Curious, why do you think your supporters in particular have been so interested in the Epstein story and so upset about how it's been handled.
Speaker 4: Why do you think that is man? Why they would be so interested. He's dead for a long time, he was never a big factor in terms of life. I don't understand what the interest or what the fascination is. I really don't have the credible information has been given. Don't forget we went through years of the Mullo wood hunt and all of the different things to steal dossier which is all fake. All that information is think but I don't understand why the Jeffrey E. F Se case would be of interest to anybody. It's pretty boring stuff. It's shorted, but it's boring, and I don't understand why it keeps going. I think, well, really, only pretty bad people, including fakedus, want to keep something like pictord like that joint but incredible information. Let him give it anything it's credible, I would say, let them have it.
Speaker 1: I mean that's a wild response, which is saying something for Donald Trump. I mean it's almost as if he doesn't know what Jeffrey Epstein was accused of and ended up being convicted of sex trafficking children. I mean, like it's it's wild. So who knows what we end up finding out, if anything, But this is not going away as far as people just demanding, and their demands probably will fall flat because I guess we're not entitled to it as far as just transparency. But the biggest issue is that you could run with this as being nothing if it wasn't something that. I mean, there's an interview jd Vance did with THEO Vaughn not that long ago, that meeting probably right before the election, that where he's you know, he's hammering release the files. It's like, well, what why? Why not? What changed? So anyways, we'll talk more about that coming up with Rory O'Neal and about four minutes, but let's get an update on the traffic and weather right here at Kentucky and is Morning News with Coffee and Company on News Radio eight forty whas. Happy hump day, Kentucky. And it is Kentucky and is Morning News with Coffee and Company here on news Radio eight forty whas. And it's time to bring in Rory O'Neal of NBC News. Rory, I gotta I gotta start with something that has just been a continuous talking point and really just ramping up overnight and maybe even as we speak. Donald Trump's handling of the the Epstein situation as far as just seemingly not believing that anyone cares, and certainly if there are people that care, he thinks they shouldn't. I mean, nothing really surprises me anymore. But I'm not sure he's able to read the room here. Well.
Speaker 5: You know, it's interesting though some of the leading voices in the MAGA movement seemed to be ready to move on, or at least say they are and won't bring it up again. We heard from Charlie Kirk sort of saying, Okay, I'm ready to move on. But to your point, a lot of people were just really having these questions about transparency, saying, hey, I thought you were the transparent president. What's going on here? And I think that's that's the bigger concern, is that, you know, we were promised this, We were promised openness and transparency and this is not that, not at all.
Speaker 1: And Charlie Kirk he he doesn't trust the government when it comes to vaccines, healthcare, war spending, but on this he's oh, yeah, I trust my government, which was you know, seems a little inconsistent there. And there's also some allegations that maybe those influencers on on that side have have maybe received some phone calls to to maybe help help the help Trump and his team out.
Speaker 5: But certainly, and it certainly it puts the Attorney General, Pam Bondi in an interesting spot. Absolutely, she had the binders out first. She brought in the influencers rather than mainstream media right to release those binders that turned out to be nothing burgers. But yeah, she sort of and they were Phase one, clearly labeled there on the binders Phase one. So we never got phase two and apparently we never will.
Speaker 1: Roy On Neil, the NBC News is our guest joining us here on News Radio eight forty whas nearly one in four credit card holders apparently don't think they're going to ever get out of that credit card debt, and that of course has led to Americans downsizing summer vacation plans and just really it's not great right now when it comes to the economy. What kind of issues right now do you feel like Americans are really just struggling the most with as far as things that keep them up at night.
Speaker 5: Well, right, you know, we had the inflation report that came out yesterday showed inflation ticked up a little bit in certain areas with the highest and four months not sounding alarm bells. But this is before we get some new tariff policies taking effects. Something to watch, and if we're seeing an increase in inflation, that means the Fed is probably less likely to lower interest rates, which is what a lot of people are hoping for, especially those first time home buyers who are feeling priced out of the marketplace. There's a report out from walle Hub looking at the best and worst markets for home buyers. The worst markets they're all in California, city by city, La Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Oakland, Santa Monica number three hundred on the list, Berkeley, California dead last. The best places for first time home buyers number three, Tampa, Florida, Number two, Boise, Idaho, Number one, Palm Bay, Florida. They're saying there's a lot more affordability and a lot more new homes being built, so adding to inventory, making it an ideal place for first time home buyers.
Speaker 1: One more for you rory. When it comes to the telephone ringing, most people, I assume still pick it up and say hello. However, there are youngsters that now have just I guess, grown up differently to where they expect the caller to speak first, which sounds insane to me. But you know, maybe I'm getting on the older side where I can't relate to the younger crew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nick, you are showing your age.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: This is a gen Z thing out there.
Speaker 5: Apparently they just pick up the phone and listen, so they think if you called, you should initiate the conversation. Part of this may be because of all the robo calls out there, right, all those spam calls, you know, because as soon as you say hello, the computer starts talking, and there's that way concern, right, or they're concerned about the recording your voice and stealing your ID. I laugh too that gen Zers in particular will have a whole series of text messages about when they can set aside five minutes for a phone call.
Speaker 1: That doesn't surprise me as much as the answering the phone and just sitting in silence waiting for somebody to speak. And again, the only time I've ever done. That is when I just assume that it is somebody that is waiting for you, don't sit there for thirty seconds sometimes and that it's the indication that, yeah, there's nobody there until you speak, and then they're prompted to say hello, how are you right?
Speaker 5: Right? So it's fascinating. Well, look, we've only had the word hello is a recent phenomenon, right in in terms of Humanity's only something we've been doing for one hundred years or so. So it's interesting to see how it may be changing among the next generation.
Speaker 1: You're right, I'm showing my age. There's no doubt about it. Rory, thank you as always, put the time, enjoy your day, my friend.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks Nick.
Speaker 1: All right, that's where we nailed NBC News. I cannot relate to that. I mean, but again, there's a lot of things the younger generation. We talked about it the other day. If if you FaceTime me, I'm considering no longer being friends with you. And that's how a lot of the younger people, that's just that they don't text anymore. When from phone calls to text and now it's just like I'm going to FaceTime somebody while I'm in my car when I'm walking walking down the street. It's just I don't know, I'm getting older. I guess. All right, let's get an update on Travick and weather. Also, we're gonna another update on sports with Scott Fitztrodis Kentucky had his morning news with coffee and company right here on news radio eight forty whis