Speaker 1: Hello, everyone, the fact what has gone on? Ready?
Speaker 2: So we're back and it's the usual standard.
Speaker 3: Of can you say that your llawds say that I just did. It's going to go downhill from here.
Speaker 2: Then well Amy can bleep it out. She can also bleep out, but.
Speaker 1: Can she what? You can't say? This will lose our status as.
Speaker 3: What will we lose unpaid jobs, voluntary service?
Speaker 1: No, our status as the Guardians of the Galaxy. That is the countryside, you know, the only true and authentic voice.
Speaker 3: If the Guardians of the Galaxy are our real group is going to have such a problem with you all that bill hooking and laying They're probably that's probably cousins of his.
Speaker 2: You know, there is danger to ends.
Speaker 1: No, but I'm not. I'm not, though, am I Because I'm I'm actually just turning Grouped into something better than what he was originally. So I'd have thought Grouped would like me. I think possibly the Angry Raccoon wouldn't, because I think he'd probably find my slightly sort of environmental ways annoying. I think he'd probably want to blow me up or something.
Speaker 3: The angry Raccoon is a bit like Nigel Farage, like you won't want to hang around of him all the time, but you definitely go for a pipe, wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's sort of broken many people's spell of what and who you are by the fact that you know what Marvel films are and you've seen them and you know the plotlines and characters and things.
Speaker 1: What me I like now? I like Guardians of the Galaxy because it is utterly irrelevant. I also think Chris Pratt is one of those rare actors that even when he's not trying to be funny, he just makes me chuckle. He's got those faces that you look at like Callums and you just laugh at. You know, he's Callum's trying to pour his heart out about something that matters a lot to him, and I go, you know, I think Chris Pratt's the same, although I don't know Chris Pratt personally.
Speaker 2: Have you seen The Terminal List or read it?
Speaker 1: No? No?
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 2: So? It's a book a guy called Jack Carr, who is a Navy seal and then he wanted basically, he had his whole life planned out. He wanted to become a Navy seal so he could get experience in special forces and then become a writer because he's sort of wanted to become effectively the sort of person who would write magnum p I and that kind of thing, and that was that was his influence, and he managed to map out his life and follow it all and he wrote this first novel called The Terminal List, which I'm not going to spoil in any way other than say it is possibly the most satisfying revenge novel that has ever been written, and in the dramatization of it, Chris Pratt plays the protagonist, and it's equally satisfying but very violent.
Speaker 1: I will write that down The Terminal List, you see. My favorite revenge book of all time is The Count of Monte Cristo Alexander Dumat because I like that because he pulls no punches, because it was obviously written, you know, in the Victorian Frenchman, and it's just horrible. He has no no problem whatsoever about actually serving out every single vengeance against him, and I think probably every single revenge novel or drama ever since has just take basically nicked the Count monte Cristo, and it's a great book. I wholeheartedly recommend everything that Alexander do.
Speaker 2: Matt has written, Yeah, and I know would take the piss out of the French quite a lot on here, because well, you know, it's a cultural responsibility of ours. But the French are incredibly violent and calculating as a as a race. They are. I can get scared of the French.
Speaker 1: Indeed, you know, indeed, you've only got to sort of look at some of their cheeses and realize that seriously offensive. Exactly seriously offensive.
Speaker 2: I think we should acknowledge the fact that Callum is back.
Speaker 1: Yes we should. Yeah. Yeah, And he's playing with his scissors everyone you know, Yeah, he always playing with the scissors. It's like a fidget spinner.
Speaker 2: Well, they're already blunt scissors, though, I notice they're not allowed pointy scissors.
Speaker 4: No, no, not since the incident.
Speaker 1: The incidents. We don't talk about the incident, Callum. We know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm back.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I nearly wasn't back. Been a busy old day, but yeah, I'm back.
Speaker 1: So you're basically you were swilling port and hanging around in bars that Prido and I wouldn't get let in.
Speaker 3: That's basically minor character assassination last week, but I'll allow it which bit I didn't mind being referred to as an extra from The Gentleman, a sort of character. The cyber crime crime acceptable. I just knew myself as more of a struggling creative if I was going to be portrayed in a film. But I'll take cyber crime. It's a bit cooler. And then you know that would also normally their Asian because cyber crime is exclusively for Asians in all films.
Speaker 1: That's true, true, Actually, that is that is true because even in Slow Horses, they've got the guy who who does all the cyber stuff and hacks into everyone. He's an Asian guy. That is very true.
Speaker 3: It's always it's always the it's always a smart, you know guy from from Tokyo or somewhere that's like a genius at hacking. It's just that the most cliche they could possibly get.
Speaker 1: I wonder do you think in Asian made sort of gangs, the slash spy films, that the person who's behind the computer going hold on, i'm in, I'm in is actually some English bloke you know, called Callum from Essex.
Speaker 3: What they're just saying like enhance repeatedly until they can turn like seven twenty CCTV footage into a high res image and get a tattoo on that's it on his left chin. Yeah, I love those I love those things. The two thousands was a golden era for those those kind of terrible like you'd open a laptop and it would all just be blue and green code and then someone would be like, I'm in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a lot of typing, just typing faster.
Speaker 3: Turfing fast, until lots of zeros and ones, when really, yeah, most hacking is actually like somebody sending a text message to your phone telling you that something's happened and you click a link roll.
Speaker 4: That's what that is these days.
Speaker 2: Or dropping a USB stick in the parking space of the really hot girl from the office with private photos written across it and just waiting for somebody picks it up and shoves it into the networked office computer.
Speaker 3: There was a guy that put a terribly compromising virus thing into a USB device and then cemented it into a wall, and he got a lot of people. A lot of people were just so curious that what the hell was a USB sticking out of the wall that they on their laptop or phone or something into this device and we took all their details, but they deserve it. I mean, well, curiosity killed the cas.
Speaker 1: I can tell you a thing back in my pre digital obviously, back when I was a young man in the Army, I went on the pre Sandturst course. Was absolute doss for six months at Becconsfield and basically they just wanted to sort of make sure because we all past our CB and before we go off to Santurst. This wanted to make sure that brush up on our education a bit. And we just went to the theater and didn't a level in six months and that was about it. But we had to do presentations and stuff. And I was there with a lovely guy who was an Aussie who was going into one of the fraction cavalry regiments as we had then, and he had broken his headphones off his walkman, which shows you how long ago it was, and he had to do a presentation for a wall mounted display on Beethoven and he shoved his headphones, which has got no jack plug on anymore, through the wall and he just put a little thing on there saying hear what Beethoven heard. And some very crusty old major general sort of came around looking at all our things, pretending to be interested, and we watched with delight as he sort of put these headphones on and then turned around and said the words that he was supposed to say. Well, I can't hear anything, and the chap said, exactly, that's because Beethoven was death general. Yeah, I don't think his career lasted that long in the army, but you know it was worth it just for that gag alone.
Speaker 2: Did you see that they've drained the lake at Sanders.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I hear God, that's going to have a lot of lockers in it.
Speaker 2: Well, the Amnesty Lake as it was referred to. Yeah, lots of things that shouldn't exist there in that.
Speaker 1: Lake, absolutely big time. I mean that you used to get loads of stuff chucked in there, or your bucksheese used to get thrown in yeah, and of course you did. There will also been lots of ticket that's not the fishing lake. No, No, you didn't fish in there, but we used to have to do a river crossing exercise there with floatation packs and stuff. So you can guarantee there'll be lots of old knives, forks and spoons that have fallen out of your webbing as you did a sort of river crossing exercise along there, and the it's a funny old thing actually that because we we had that, there was a thing in the army where basically you get issued a very small amount of kit which is really insufficient to do your job. So you get something called bucksheese, which goes back to our days of the Indian Army, and buckshee he means basically free of charge. So you get kit and you accumulate it either by theft, borrowing and not giving back inadvertently signing something out and then someone gets it wrong and you end up with a lot more kit than you used to have. But we had at Knightsbridge, when I was at the Mounted Regiment, we had some massive who har that came down. They realized just how expensive the household cavalry was and how much it was costing the exchequer, and so they sent down a load of people from the SIB, which is like the Special Investigations branch of the Royal Military Police, claiming that there were clearly massive fraud going on because we had far too much kit for how many men were there, and they were wanting to know where all this missing stuff was because it was worth hundreds of thousands of pounds. All this stuff that was sort of we'd got wasn't on anyone's kind of stuff. Oh, everything from State Kit. So that would be the State helmets, your curiasses, jack boots, spurs, even just the bits alone that the horses wore in their mouth for on what we used to call State head kit, that's the bridle. Those things alone were worth like two hundred and fifty quid a pop back then in the eighties, and they were just everywhere. Well, and it's so unique and special. And one or two I think it all came because there was a full set of State Kit arrived in the shop window of a sort of secondhand shop down on Portobella Market and somebody clocked it and they sort of looked in and look whose name was written on the curirasses and they went, but he's still serving. That shouldn't be there, And so they made this big who har of a thing. Well, our kernel at the time was a wonderful chap And actually I can say his name because he dead fluffed bird would and he was brilliant. He knew this was coming, and he th on, look do you.
Speaker 4: Make places and people's names.
Speaker 1: Not fluffy Bird.
Speaker 2: He's a good AI, is it?
Speaker 1: I was just fluffy Bird was a real chap wird. Anyway, what we did was we kept all the kit. But when you go down to the stables at Knightsbridge, of course you have great big piles of straw bales hanging around there, and we just made a hollow cavern of straw bales, and each squadron, both the lifeguards and Blues and walls, hid all of their kit in plain sight, but just behind this little sheath of of of straw bales. And as all these sneaky beakye people came around and went into our lockers and counted, you know, how many socks we had and a many shirts, and they found that we were absolutely, to a man perfect, We had exactly how much kit we should have. And when they came down to the stables and they were counting the bridles and counting the saddles and everything, little did they know that within a couple of feet of them, just hidden behind one straw veil, was probably about fifty pounds worth a buckshee kit just sat there. Wonderful. That was what the army used to be like, not the pastiche is.
Speaker 2: Now well, I've been not working with them, but working with people along alongside them in role a little bit over the last few weeks, and I want to highlight the support that we've had as a business from Elite Optical, and in particular a man called Glenn, who is probably listening to this and wondering what the hell I'm about to say next, but he as a company, they have been very very helpful to me, and I want to highlight their customer service and also just their technical support because they are the guys that bring in hick micro thermal imaging stuff that we've talked about on the podcast before, but I've been using them in a non field sports hunting sense over the last few weeks on some courses. If you are listening to this and you sort of you've got a thermal device where you've used your mates or something like that and that's a few years old, go and play with the new stuff. It is out of this world. I mean, there was one bit where I sent it to my mate Phil, who's a beekeeper amongst other things, and he's got some hives in our woods. Sending a video of these little white dots flying around one hundred yards a get away and he goes, what are those? And those are your bees? Mate, It's like one hundred yards away, I'm spotting bees in fult In, even on a hot day. The detection on this stuff is so much better than it was. The new tools within it, and I'm not this is not a sales pitch because I don't get anything from it. It's just bloody hell. This kit has moved on a huge way. And that's what I've been doing over the last few weeks on and off different courses, is teaching people who have to observe other people how to get the most out of it. And yeah, the new kit is scarily good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel sorry for anyone that spent a huge amount of money on stuff only three four years ago that yeah, you can now buy a very basic model that's the same and a hell of a lot cheaper stuff is if you're going to spend that money the big money. Actually it's not even the same in terms of big money, is it. Really, it's quite a bit less. And still they're still really good.
Speaker 2: I was going to say it's been it's been like digital cameras have gone, but actually digital cameras, particularly like even mirrorless and things like that. The tech is kind of stalled. It's not you know, something new this year compared to last year, isn't is the rate of development isn't the same.
Speaker 3: You know, in the I really didn't expect to get into this in the last sort of two years or so, maybe.
Speaker 2: Your previous career of callum.
Speaker 4: Maybe like three years.
Speaker 3: They've worked out how to make lenses that so optical designs were based on DSLR cameras for a long long time. So all of your first versions of lenses are all DSLR lenses because we're making the glass, we're making the components, we're doing the thing the DSLR lenses adapted for mirrorless cameras well. Now they've had enough time and money invested to get mark two versions of some of these lenses, and they've shrunk them optically, they've tweaked different things, and they're working with the limitations of the flanged depth. Never gets old of the camera and optics, yeah, I know it. Never it never got old grass either, And they've they've worked out how to make optically far superior lenses than any DSLR lenses that ever existed. So the optics and the speed of auto focus has gone on absolutely miles where the changes in actual image performance and dynamic range have not gone crazy different in the last I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, five years.
Speaker 3: Five years, yeah, five years, it's not mad different, but the speed of aater focusing and processing and a little bit of a dynamic range improvement has come.
Speaker 4: But they could all change with stacked senses.
Speaker 1: For you, you see that, I have no idea what you are talking about. I use a bill hook that was made in nineteen twenty three. Yeah, that's what I.
Speaker 2: You're made in nineteen twenty three.
Speaker 1: I've got a seven pound lump hammer, which I have to say has got a plastic shaft because it takes some of the thing out whacking stuff and I don't want that.
Speaker 4: You get a silicon shaft.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm not on only fans, so I don't think so. And that's basically it, you know, I mean, I take photo. I had to go today editing with I had to go with the editing app on my phone because when I'm laying a hedge, the chap next door said, oh, just make it. I was taking the photographs because we have to do that for the bean counters at the RPA, and he said, oh, I don't want my place appearing anywhere. I went, okay, so I use the raise function on this thing and I was able to remove all the background imagery out of this thing. And I thought, well, that's just magic. I don't even know how that works, but it does. So anyway, listen, I think I don't have no idea what DSLR are. We are country Slide, the UK's finest rural podcast, and that's got nothing to do with the country side. So why don't we talk about trees instead? Trees? I like trees. Everyone likes trees. What's your favorite tree?
Speaker 2: So we're just watching the show plan be obliterated entirely.
Speaker 4: There was a great link.
Speaker 2: Richard.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your time and your patients. It really means a lot to us.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I have no idea what DSLRM means, and I don't want to know. I just I just take it that when you press buttons, things that probably did happen look better on the image that you have made, and that happens.
Speaker 3: Do they believe in suffing that every time I take a picture, I capture their soul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. That's what happens in Suffolk of the See when you go and take Garnum, because he's from Essix, he's they look at it a bit differently. Basically just pouts, pats at the camera. He's pacting all the time. He just can't see because he's always got his little mask.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I took.
Speaker 3: I took a really nice picture of Garnum yesterday where I made him laugh from across a pond. So and sometimes they make it into the magazine, but I never get mentioned. So there will be probably a picture in the Shooting Times in the next couple of weeks of Simon Garnum laughing as he puts out some till decoys, which basically makes him look like he's a mentalist, like there's something actually wrong with him, because nobody you know who sits on a marsh and shares a joke with their dog, Well, not that many people.
Speaker 4: Well probably, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean that is that's true. Actually, But when you think a lot of the time when you used to come out and do photographs of Darren Ceiser and I for Kit Review, and you always got lots and lots of pictures of us laughing as we're sort of sat there in Cama FuG.
Speaker 3: It's not so bad when it's which you and Darren and people know that it's you two together. But when it's you you alone on a marsh with your decoys laughing, yeah, laughing up with the labrador. Yeah that is true. Actually that is a bit worrying, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Right now, listener, listen to this bit. This is the important bit. This is the bit that once again we forgot to put in the main episode, mostly because I couldn't get a word in edgeways past the other two talking. Now, this show runs well, it's run entirely on the back of our supporters over at Patreon dot com or if you go to Countryslide dot co dot uk forward slash support you'll see the same links and in fact better links.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: Those people, those people, and they know who they are. They keep the show going because they give us a small amount of money every month and in return, because we do acknowledge that times are tight and giving any money out at the moment is it's starting to become a real equation. You've got to work out before you do it. In return, we give them extra content. So every main show has an after show, which is often as long, if not longer than the show itself. In there we just carry on rambling, but we say all the things that we don't really want to say out in public. There's sort of things that you wouldn't want to put your career next to. We put all those kind of things behind the paywall. You also, as a supporter, get access to our WhatsApp group, so that is quite a big community now of people, and we've got sub channels in there about gardening and farming and forestry and shooting and fishing and food, and there's a motoring section. There's all these little bits. It's starting to become well, a really active community of like minded rural people. And if you want access to all of that, then go to countryslide dot co dot UK forward slash support. The other benefit is you don't get any more ads on the episode and this bit that I'm reading out right now goes away. So if you want to get rid of me and get rid of this, there you have it. Right back. With the episode, Rich's probably talking about the army horses, hedges, Norfolk Suffolk, or Calum is talking about flat roof pubs.
Speaker 1: Sorry, so we aren't going to talk about our favorite trees. We're supposed to talk about what we've done this week. I think first.
Speaker 2: I tried to lead you into that with a thermal thing. That's what I was doing. I was saying, well, that's what I've been doing, and I was about to say, what have you up to?
Speaker 1: You and the like hedges. That's it, And he's been fiddling around with this dlrs, so you know that's it. We can go on to trees. Now, go on, then, what have you been up to?
Speaker 3: I've been doing posh things the last few weeks. I've been to Parliament a couple of times. I had to walk there because the train strikes. So thanks for that, TfL. I hope you get your pay rise in line of inflation.
Speaker 2: Have you noticed when it affects him? Not a communist?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'm all for socialism, but you know, why do I have to walk?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Yeah, that's another reform. Votes over arrived at the station, Thank you very much? Are empty paint.
Speaker 4: A roundabout.
Speaker 1: Parliament?
Speaker 3: So I went to Parliament, done a little parliamentary reception to people drinking champagne talking talking about public transport.
Speaker 4: That was fun.
Speaker 3: Had to also get a double decker bus to catch the bus month and I had to direct it in front of the Palace of Westminster and then take pictures of it. We have lots of MPs and at one point, although he's not an MP and he wasn't actually invited, that fella the the what's his name, it's gone, the Victorian Jacob Riese mod He's just really strange. It's like he's from a Dickens book. I've spoke to him like two or three times and he's never not strange.
Speaker 4: But I quite like him.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you mean, living ghost of a Victorian child Jacob Riese mog.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he looks haunted.
Speaker 1: They called him the Minister for the nineteenth Century, which I thought was quite funny when he was.
Speaker 2: I want that job, actually, i'd have that.
Speaker 1: What are the policies, yeah, well work houses, yeah, bring them back and return of the Empire. So sorry, how did you direct a bus in front of I mean, did you have to wave your arms about.
Speaker 4: Right a bit? Yeah, it's quite hard to direct a bus.
Speaker 3: And also, obviously so I've done this before, this isn't my first time directing a bus outside of the Palace of Westbodin, which is a sentence I never thought I'd say in my life, but I had done it before, but there's an incredible police presence now, so whereas it was previously quite easy to do because we booked out opposite the palace, there's a little there's a little square, not Parliament Square, just down a little bit in.
Speaker 1: Front of the Queen Elizabeth the second conference Center.
Speaker 3: That's it, that one, so we booked that out. But there was huge police presence and lots of lots of things happening, and lots of armed people in the way, which made it really difficult. But I did manage to get it, and there isn't any scaffolding this time, which is always nice. We got some call images and then I've done fancy stuff in hotels where we released an eighty year old vintage port.
Speaker 4: I say we, I didn't. I didn't make it. I'm not that old.
Speaker 3: But well, I was with all the journalists photographing them sipping port which is so expensive. We had to dish out Vira Pippett because like every sip is probably like six pounds.
Speaker 4: So yeah, how was it.
Speaker 3: I didn't drink the eighty, but I did drink the forty and it was phenomenal, so unbelievably good. It loses like the deity flavor you get of Attorney Port, and it takes more of a sort of syrupy sweetness, but you still get the complexity, but you don't get quite the deity flavor, the fruity sort of number.
Speaker 4: And it's so nice, so good.
Speaker 2: Because you're not allowed to mention the brand yet, I'm guessing was it the same company that we were drinking their port cocktails at the game there?
Speaker 3: No, probably not, No, it was it was Graham's. I know the people there, they're all good Graham's Port. If anyone's got sixteen hundred quid they want to spend on a bottle, you just.
Speaker 1: No short answer notes, I haven't an old Ford focus. Then, actually, let's be perfectly honest. The country slide listenership are pretty unlikely to be spending sixteen one hundred quid on a bottle of port. Well, they're much more likely to spend some money on is extra bottles of very cheap gin from Aldi, so that the cook called someone like Gardens Gardens or Yes or Goblin.
Speaker 3: Cheap what did I buy a cheap test ghost one the other day to make my first ever batch of slow Gin. So I have three bottles sitting on the on the shelf outside. Should I put them outside? Is that a good idea? Or should I wring them in?
Speaker 2: I'd keep them room temperature well, somewhere under the sink. Isn't bad because you're not fermenting anything. You're just infusing, so you just want it to be nice and stable. Don't put me so outside's bad.
Speaker 4: I've been turning them every day as well, channeling my inner champagne creator wine maker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're just dissolving that. You're just dissolving and slushing. Really, that's what you're doing with the slow gin.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought you just meant in general that does feel like what I'm doing most days.
Speaker 2: Well, you're turning every day anyway in life, aren't you. You know, it's just every day it's a new job.
Speaker 4: I'm dissolving and slashing.
Speaker 2: That's just getting through your thirties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the physio is going well.
Speaker 4: Time.
Speaker 3: I really liked your supplement chat the other day as well. That was in the after show. What was actually quite good creating. I'm absolutely for taking quick. Now I might start. I might start doing some extra creatine supplements. See if it improves cognitive function. It actually makes sense. On the next podcast, you know what's happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's over the overdosed on creating. I'm still not taking creating, but I am untill continuing with my vitamin D supplement, so I might need to get that too. Yeah, well, you know, I think it's I think it's certainly something that to try and make my poor old skin, which is now already looking like I've been attacked by well a hedge. Funny enough, because I haven't been attacked by hedge is looking a bit and what's it? So? Have you done anything else other than sworn about with ghastly politicians, smart girning from buses and drinking port. Have you done anything that doesn't involve the ghastliest people in society? We've done some night anything with nice people. Callum.
Speaker 3: I went out with with your your biggest fans at the weekend, so the Watchers, not just Simon Garno. I went out with the Eastern County mink Howns. Obviously know well because you covered them see shooting Times.
Speaker 1: You covered them for shooting Times and Scribe Hand. Yes, I revisited. Yes, was it the same article? Though, no, it wasn't. It was quite different because this time the ghastly antes came out with us when we for this for the scribe hand things.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, how did you arrange that? How did your book them in?
Speaker 1: Well? You know, I not the first at this.
Speaker 4: Were you at that one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean I do know.
Speaker 3: I went to the one before, which was I do.
Speaker 1: Not know how the anties found out where they were? Well, I do know. Actually I think it's drones. I think what they do because at the end of the day, if you think about mink howns, well, yes, we ought to explain about how it works because these aren'tline mink hous I have been mink hunting since I was a small child. I would say that my love of hunting, but mink hunting was brilliant because the most the galitarian thing ever, it followed in the footsteps of otter hunting. Right. You had a pack of hounds which were either foxhounds that were drafted from foxhound packs and they got a bit old and slow, or they had otter hounds, which is these great, big, shaggy things that looked like sort of a foxhound has decided to put on an astra can coat or otherwise. They were a cross between the two. And you would have about fifteen couple of hounds and you would descend into the water and you would hunt the drag of a mink and it was all jolly good fun and you would sometimes kill mink, you sometimes didn't, but it was sort of done less along the style of what the old otter hunting used to do. And if anyone's ever read Tark of the Otter you will know what sort of went on with otter hunting. Well, of course that was banned as part of Blair's attack on right thinking people. And to try and do trail hunting with mink counts on water is basically a non starter. It doesn't work. So the Eastern County's mink hunts, the chaps you went with, have got a far better way of doing it. And callum you explain how the Eastern Counties mink hunt, not mink Houns mink hunt do it.
Speaker 3: So the rules are you're not allowed multiple hounds, so you can have a two hound and a dog, so you can't have well, I don't know could they could they have to. I don't know, you allow you're allowed to dogs.
Speaker 1: You're allowed to have two dogs to flush to the gun. Yeah, that's the rule.
Speaker 3: So you get So we've got a little beagle called Miles and a black lab called Bramble and essentially they have this have a very good lunch. It's a proper spread. It's there's quite a lot of pageantry to it, which as a as a sort of towny from Essex, it does feel a bit strange because it's not an environment I've ever seen myself in ever before. At one point a man poured a monocle from his waistcoat to to look at a sort of taxidermy otter tail that was recently purchased at auction, So it was it's just strange for me. There's there's no judge in that.
Speaker 4: It's just a very.
Speaker 3: It's a culture shock that I'm not really used to. I don't think I've ever seen a monocle outside of Monopoly.
Speaker 2: Take place in a flat roof pup. Would you have been more comfortable or if it was like in a lock up or something.
Speaker 3: I mean, it feels like something that could have happened at an after party that where someone's brought out the sort of the regal dress or something. And then and then yeah, but anyway, I digress. These guys they have a fantastic lunch and then they get into a freezing cold creek or stream or river and they take the dog and the beagle and the well, I'm not sure, I take a beagle and bramble. And then two of them walk up while others are on the bank and they just looking for signs of mink under trees. And when we went, you found coot chicks in one of their holes, didn't you, coot chicks? And you pulled out a very fresh coot chick. There this mink had just killed, hid into its hole and just left it there. Mink couldn't even eat.
Speaker 1: The mink stash up food there. They sort of holed it away. And sometime, I mean I remember once back in the old days, I was mink hunting up in a tree is just founding this stack of this mink had been absolutely devastating a trout farm, and going in this tree, it was stacked one upon one upon one upon one of a great big concertina of about a pound weight trout or just stacked up where it had taken them back to its its little den and had stacked them up, which I assume they'd go back at some point and go and eat them. But I mean, they're ridiculously voracious things. And the wonderful thing about the Eastern Counti's mink hunt is because what they do is you've described, is they hunt within the law one hundred percent. What the masters decided to do is rather than this rather sad pastiche of sort of trail hunting, they said, okay, so what can we do. We can use two dogs and we've got to flush the quarry to a gun that stays within the law. And they also looked at its experienced mink hunters under the old way we used to do it, they realized actually probably having a lot of hounds on the water wasn't actually that effective in killing mink, and they thought, well, what's our job. Well, primarily is we've got to kill this bliming thing, which is a voracious non native predator. And one of a lot of the places where they hunt, they are bits of water where they have I that there's no one trapping mink because it's too close to habitation to put a mink raft out to trap them, or it's a place where mink are pretty savvy. If you don't catch them first time they go nap, I ain't going to go near that cage anymore. So you know, once bitten twice ship if they get away, they so they're very, very very effective. And because they're only using one mute to beagle never never so much as speaks miles and a labrador, it's pretty low impact. I mean, as it goes. I mean I remember I wrote a piece about it, and that when Twitter still had all the mouth breathers still in there before they went off with Blue Sky, who were going, oh yeah, but what about the disturbance. Okay, well, okay, so you're the same lot who were talking about disturbance who actually want free access for all to walk ways. And if you're not wild swimming, then you're kayaking everywhere, so go and get knotted. So they have this system where they work down if.
Speaker 4: There were probably no worse than a swan no.
Speaker 1: Sleep. You got two people wading up the river two dogs. Now, these dogs are obviously wholly just that they only hunt mink, and if they are on a mink then they will get it, usually invariably if there were otters on the water, then you would either pass over that otter or if it flushed in front of them, they go, okay, there's an otter there. Pull these two dogs out and jobs are good. And if they then flush this mink, then the huntsman blows a little toot on his horn and he gets his gun out of his slim and he goes bang and shoots his mink dead. And they are very very effective at it in places where usually it would be incredibly difficult to kill mink. So there is I mean, I would say, and if I was looking at this completely dispassionately and I'm okay, cards on the table, they're very kindly gave me the hunt tie. They liked what I'd written about various things, and so they gave me the hunt tie. So I would say, obviously they are pals of mine. But if I looked at this utterly dispassionately, I would say, it is without shadow of doubt, the most effective form of mink control in the environments where they are going that you could possibly have. And one less mink is a good day at the office for wildlife because they are a voracious predator and the way that they do. It is within the law, but the only downside is the outfits that they wear, and that enrages people. Now, for me, that makes me laugh like a drain, because basically, the only thing that you hate is the fact that these chaps are wearing bowler hats and bright waistcoats and ties and breeches and funny colored socks, and that they're swimming around in rivers doing this daft thing. That's the only thing you've actually hating is that you're hating them. You're not hating the practice that they're doing, which can only be good, can't.
Speaker 3: It's It's funny, isn't it, because it I think it's because of the emotional side of what fox hunting was and what people think it is. And probably I don't know. I wasn't really I wasn't around to see any of this stuff. But I can imagine some fox hunting stuff was. I mean, it got bad, so I can't imagine it was very humane and all perfect practice a lot like you know, some shooting isn't great practice. Big bird days and things that happened, just some of it's terrible, and there's I'm not pro fox hunting in any way, shape or form. But when you it would be easy to take that frame of mind apply it to those guys and then go, oh, they're just blood thirsty. But actually they're in that river they covered maybe every time I've been, they've covered like two hundred yards before they've killed a mink. Done something good for that for that little area. Yeah, and this is this is a time where there's more trapping of mink than ever and apparently we're getting on top of them. But from the evidence that I see in these little these little places that they go to, there's still plenty of them. So taking a mink out is a really good thing. There'll be more coot chicks, there'll be more bird life, they'll be more crayfish, there'll be more frog life. Everything will benefit from not having an invasive species that is a apex predator and nothing else gets them.
Speaker 4: So it's really hard not.
Speaker 3: To use the fox hunting framework to say their blood thirsty, they dress up in silly outfits, they just want to kill something, because that's absolutely not the case.
Speaker 4: And it's.
Speaker 3: It's not conflicting for me because I went to it with an open mind, and it's I find it fascinating. It's one of the reasons I still photograph shooting is because I just find it so fascinating to question the morality of all of it and to be with these people and see what makes them tick and stuff. And yeah, my verdict is I like them.
Speaker 2: Prido where you at talk to me, I was listening along to that. It was quite nice to be a sort of an audience in my own podcast. So we don't have anything like that over here. The only thing we've got is still what is not sort of trail hunting that's not or fox hunting that's trail you know, I don't know. I'm not sure what we're up to with a local pack here. But this thing about dressing up silly and things like that, it's all about I think it's all about your your point of view and how you view yourself first and then how you view the people that you're either ridiculing, your criticizing or whatever. So the if the the well what they called.
Speaker 1: The mink Eastern Counties, mink.
Speaker 2: Eastern Counties, mink mink hunts, mink hunt So if they were wearing waders and fleeces and did everything else the same, I don't think they would get much. It wouldn't be okay. Then in terms of the anties and things like that, people would still hate them. It's just that they'd have a different they have to find a different attack vector. There's something about traditional cultural dress which I don't think we do very well in the UK because anything that isn't the average of an urban population, it's now seen as weird. You know, if you dress up in whereas you can't invert that and say, God, have you seen how those people in Brixton dress weird?
Speaker 4: Isn't that? My friend said? Everybody dresses up for events.
Speaker 3: Like you wouldn't go if you were going out on a Friday night, you wouldn't. You wouldn't be wearing your crocs in your sweatpants.
Speaker 4: Would you.
Speaker 2: Clearly you've never been on the town with me.
Speaker 3: Genuinely, I knew I was going to be in waders, so I turned up to the to the mink hunt with my sports crocs on timeound.
Speaker 1: Me with your with your little.
Speaker 2: Exactly all right, let's drop in Richard's difficult political statement of the week politically difficult statement of the week. What if you were to go to somewhere in Africa, and look at people there who are doing a hunt. It's just sort of the indigenous people of somewhere doing a hunt, managing their population of wildlife in the way they see fit, and they chose to dress in a certain way. What would be the standpoint where you could say, well, the way they dress is terrible, or the way they dress is weird or fuddy or whatever. Why are they dressing like that to do this thing? Because you do see that with indigenous where you've got indigenous cultures within a country who overlap into the modern, often Western influenced, post colonial world. So it might work in the city and then come back to rural areas for traditional hunting at different times, or come back to the family or whatever. You see that in Australia and New Zealand as well, and even in North America where've got First Nations and Native Americans traditional there's different rules for hunting for Native Americans in a lot in a lot of the US states, like they can use lights and thermal optics and stuff like that because they exist in subsistence hunting versus sort of hunting for sports. So why do we not do that in the UK? Why don't we say well, this is an indigenous activity. Why do we you know? This? Is this style address and trade can be traced backed one hundred and fifty years, say you bowler hats and waistcoats, So that would be an interesting defense to make, particularly on lots of these things. Is is this and actually an indigenous practice that is being undertaken by indigenous people. It's just because we're often the colonizers and the indigenous people at the same time, it loops back on itself.
Speaker 1: Do you know. One of the interesting things when Patrick Galbraith wrote his latest book, Uncommon Ground, one of the things that the Right to Rome crew got most irate about was because he highlighted a point that a master of a pack of trail hounds in Surrey was winging about the fact that these rich guys would leave London and they would go and buy one hundred acre little patch of heaven for them, you know, a nice house and one hundred acre block that you had once upon a time being a farm, and then they would not let the hunt over their land anymore. And this master was saying, you know, we are being excluded from the land by these incomers. And Patrick was drawing the analogy between how that this is happening to hunting to people who go fox hunting, a traditional pastime in the UK. And he was saying, well, what's the difference then, Right to Rome gang, when you're saying someone goes and buys an estate and says I'm not going to let you walk over over my land. And they hated that with a passion. And one of the things that I see that I remember when I wrote a piece about the Eastern Counties income for the Shooting Times and a lot of the crew who would have been very pro the Right to Rome movement, they had a real nickers in a twist about what the guy's were wearing and about what we were doing, and about how we were on the river and disturbance and whatnot. And it was so amusing because a we've already talked about the disturbance thing, but also this is the same bunch Right to Rome who when they went on their protest against Alexander Darnell, that guy who's brought up Great Sway of Dartmoor and said you can't come while camping on there anymore. Their means of protest was that they dressed up in a pastiche of what they said was traditional dressed, and they had some effigy which they said was called this ancient spirit, local spirit called Kruak or something like that. And we're evoking the spirit of Kruak for the people of Dartmore. And I thought, hold on a second, So you can dress up like you're extras from Robin of Sherwood and you think this is fine, But you're getting all your nickers in a twist when some people want to go and wear a uniform of a hunt that was formed in I don't know, nineteen hundred or eighteen something or other. Well, and that's all they're doing. They're wearing a historic uniform. They are wearing the same uniform that the old Eastern County's otter hounds you to wear back in the day. And so I think it highlights the perfect oxymoronic, two faced nonsense that so many of these people who like to kick up their heels about hunting and shooting and all they've got to wear all work for. Do you know that doesn't matter? That really doesn't matter to me. I can honestly say the Eastern Counties mink hunt do everything for the right reasons. The fact that they want to dress like peacocks and have a big blowout in a sort of Edwardian high tea. Well that hardly makes some bloody pole pots, does it. So I mean, yeah, well done them, And I'm proud to wear their tie. And I have to say I do wear the Eastern Counties Mink Hunt tie on occasions when I have to dress up a bit smart, and I know that there are going to be oursholes in the room and are thinking they don't know what this tie is unwearing, but I do. And it's tie version of sticking a middle finger up. If ties could talk, it would be a rude one.
Speaker 2: It's a semi aquatic Masons then, yes, exactly right. Okay, callum, what's your favorite tree? I'm just moving forward. I'm just trying to get grind ahead. And you have the episode plan he enacted somehow in real life.
Speaker 1: Five minutes to talk about our favorite tree?
Speaker 2: Hazel, go right?
Speaker 4: Is it quick fire around?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Go okay, Richard, what's your favorite tree? A?
Speaker 1: Is it oak? And oak in particular? I'll tell you what we haven't got. I have can't tell you about it because very very briefly, because my favorite trees are oaks at.
Speaker 3: West You can't pick more than one.
Speaker 1: It's the same species, but it just happens to be at Westall and they're the old bang hang on which which and of oak are we talking about here? Proper good English oaks? None coming over here? Take now, Canapees No, the English oaks at Westhorpe Hall originally was Westhorpe is the next village to me in mid Suffolk. It's now the home of the Barkers who farm there, and they've got these fantastic old oaks which were I would have thought probably pre when actually the hall was built, but it was the home of Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk. He married Mary Tudor, who was Henry the Yight's sister. And these boundary marker oaks are all still there and they mark where the old rides used to be of when it was a deer park, so that Charles Brandon and Mary Tudor, the former Queen of France, used to go hunting deer. And there are oaks still there that marked where each keeper had their beat, and they're still there. They're all gnarl they're all wonderful. They're ancient and I think every time I walk underneath them, I think, my god, I am laying aheage, or I'm walking underneath my dogs under a tree where Mary Tudor, former Queen of France once walks to history. Beneath my feet and over my head, there might ask my favorite tree.
Speaker 3: Now, now you've given me a favorite tree like that, I've just written something down that I thought was really interesting.
Speaker 4: But now do you say it?
Speaker 3: There's actually there's a tree that I go past when I walk the dog every single day, And at first I just thought it was a tree, and then I noticed that it's actually two trees that have grown together perfectly, and it is an oak I've grown together perfectly to form like a single tree. And every time I look at it, I just sort of think, isn't that remarkable that they didn't split off? They just grew into one one what looks like a tree, but with two trunks, And it's just really cool thing to look at. And often the sun rises and sets behind it, depending on which way you walk, and I look at that and I think that nice.
Speaker 4: Two trees just growing together. One's taken the left side, one's taken the right side. No arguments there, And yeah, it's an absolutely beaute. I'm going to take a picture of it. I'll put it in the in the Patreon chat, which you can get access to if you go to ww dot country slide dot cod at uk slash.
Speaker 2: He's doing his own and Reid now, wasn't that.
Speaker 3: Brilliant But just three pounds a month one day, Richard Nigas can get proper internet and Richard pretty cant.
Speaker 4: What do you want turkey teeth.
Speaker 1: Heating the top.
Speaker 3: He can get a monoculture on his head.
Speaker 4: The non monoculture for your hair transplant.
Speaker 2: Just in case, I'm going to ignore Callum and just listen to Richard. My favorite tree is a black poplar. It's one particular one. So it's it's on the edge of a woodland that we manage. And we've been to look at the woodland before the owners bought it, and they asked us to go and have a look at this one place and it was this particularly boggy bit of wet woodland about nine acres and there's a man acre of meadow and we it was one of those ones that goes up on woodlands for sale and the the you know, and there were lots of people looking around the wood at the same on the same day, because I think you had about three days to look at it before you put your bid in. And well when we went around, I just spent the whole time going up to the other people in the wood and was going court BlimE, Yeah, you can see where the floodwater has come up to here. Oh yeah, you know, And they're said, is is it a bit damp or you're obviously not a local. No, no floodwaters. Basically it's tidal this woodland. But actually it wasn't. It just needed a bit of drainage work. So we didn't notice during any of that until they bought it and they were actually looking around the boundaries properly. That buried in the hedge on the roadside is this huge black poplar male or female. So this is a male that put a pin in that we're coming back to that. This the trunk is about seven eight feet in diameter, and not exaggerating is that there's a long walk around it. It's not that tall. The top is obviously snapped out in a storm at some point, but the bottom is huge. It's a really really chonky tree. So we laid the hedge in front of it, and now it's getting good light on it. It's got all this epicormic growth, all this sort of fresh shoots coming out the side of it on the sunwood side, but you can see all the scars of life on it, so it's got all that. You can see a mark where ivy has been growing up on it and then pulled off because the bark's a different shape. You can see where a few branches overhanging the road have been knocked off, probably by sort of tractors or big wagons in the middle of the twentieth century. And this this tree, I mean, when it's inevitably going to come down at some point, and if it's within my lifetime, I'm going to love to find out how old it is. Because the up just up the road from it is this ancient bridge as well, and I'm working out was the bridge built first, and was was the was the popular tree there when the bridge was built. And this has sort of led to this wide discussion now of many other black poplars are in the valley because when we had the big storms this winter, a couple of the farmers got in touch and said, oh, yeah, we've got this black poplar, can you come and deal with that? And they find out this huge black poplar in the field that no one ever goes to because it's in a bit of a boggy land, so there's no footpaths, no one goes past it. There's another ancient poplar that's fallen down, and there's another one three fields away in another one, and it turns out we're a bit of a hotbed for black poplars. The problem is that they're all male. So we got in touch with the county Biodiversity officer earlier this year and he has been experimenting on his secret tree nursery, or is now a public one, but the secret tree nursery had he had as a project. He was hand pollinating black poplars using the flowers he'd got from one, and then was sending them off for genetic purity testing to find out that they were they were pure black poplars, not hybrids. And now we will have on the edge of that woodland, we'll have a female black poplar that we have possession of now and that's going to get planted out after the winter. Want to make sure that it's not going to flood and there's no more stupid frosts or anything. So right at the end of the winter that's going in, but we will hopefully have a female black poplar slowly coming up alongside the male, so we're sort of restoring what was there. But I just love a bit like yours. I love of the idea of this tree has seen so much in this one place, you know, and it's just the I think that's why I love trees, because they are sentinel. Like it's like looking at an ancient building, but it's living and growing, and it's a building that's changing every year and doing its own thing. And you can help it just by clearing the canopy around it or not trampling on it and not nailing fences to it and things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just you just got to love the the old the old trees. And when you sit there and think, you know something, it's like like five six hundred years old and stuff. You look at these things and you think, well that what was history like then? Like some of this stuff was not even here, Like this whole landscape looked completely different, and it's just stood there in the same place and everything around it has changed, and it's just yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, there's there's one not there's one in the Comedy Valley, the Hangurnu You, which is thought to be between like four and five thousand years old.
Speaker 3: I cannot recommend it enough. Go to a Burly house and do the ancient tree walk. There's trees outside there where they tried to bomb Burley House but they missed and they hit they hit a couple of top of the trees I think, and they're still shrapped from the bomb that missed.
Speaker 4: In the trunk of the tree.
Speaker 3: There's also a tree outside that was granted by a variety of queens and even a king, and you can see those trees.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: King Edwards one Calonder's history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do in tree history on the fly.
Speaker 3: And they've also got so there's a guy called Peter Glassie who is a chair of the Ancient Ancient Woodland Society or Ancient Tree Society, Ancient Tree Society, I believe, and he he's an absolute legend, and he'll show you all these cool trees and you go around and you have a look at all these different bits and it is fascinating.
Speaker 4: Worth a trip out.
Speaker 2: Well, this has given me an idea for the after show, So I think we'll drift off and go and talk about that, which you'll be able to access if you're not a patron by going to country Slide dot co dot UK, forward slash Support, and you're going to hear the other sort of politically difficult things I'm going to say over there, because it's not the sort of thing we want out there in public. You know, this is sort of drawing room talk. Everyone else has gone to bed and there's just three of you sat by the fire smoking cigars. That's that's basically what we're getting next.
Speaker 1: Right bye everyone, Thank you, Bye,