Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome back to Reconnected Live with Charlie Nash and Kevin Tutor of the Almost Major podcast. Welcome back, gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Ah, thanks for having us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for having us again. Of course.
Speaker 2: Uh, you guys were amazing last time. And I feel like it was just like a month and a half ago. But I looked at it, it's been like four months, so hey, it's been a long time.
Speaker 3: No, it was just it was last month. It's fine. No, I think it was like, yeah, it was like April and I was like, are you sure? You sure?
Speaker 2: Well, how's everything been going? Has the podcast been?
Speaker 4: It's been good. It's been good. Uh. We're about to dive into the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise.
Speaker 2: Actually that's a big one.
Speaker 4: Right in time for spooky season, which is fine.
Speaker 2: It's a big, big one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We have nightmaran on Om three, one, two, three, four, and five, which Ryan, you're joining us for nightmarron Om three four, and then we are done with our nineteen eighties New Line mini series and then breaking news, we are starting our new film series which is going to be over Film district.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we will be talking about drive, We'll be talking about a fucking uh. Don't be afraid of the dark, insidious and the Sidious two. The Rum Diary safety not guaranteed.
Speaker 4: Spike Lee's Old Boy remank other things, yes, which I have not seen. I have not seen, but I know is very divisive.
Speaker 3: Also, the remake of Red Dawn, I believe.
Speaker 4: Yes, it means I have to watch the original.
Speaker 3: Anything. It's fun, I mean I will. I haven't either.
Speaker 2: That is a batch of titles. I I'm kind of worried for your for your headspace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's always fun. We always have a good time whenever we chat about even if a movie is terrible, it's always fun to get together. And you know, poo poo, And.
Speaker 2: That's I'm sure the Old Boy episode is going to be amazing.
Speaker 3: Ah, better better than better than the movie. Let's let's try for that. I don't know.
Speaker 4: That movie is what eleven years old, and I still haven't. I love Spike Lee, and I still haven't seen it. I remember they released that one in didn't wasn't that like a Thanksgiving release? And then it flopped in entirely and even Film District was like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, God, that means the original is what twenty one years? Then I think, oh.
Speaker 3: Good lord, yeah yeah, Old Boy remake came out in November twenty seventh.
Speaker 4: I'm seeing here, Yeah, and you're right because I remember Old Boy the original. I think it played in the same can competition that Tarantina was that had jury for, and I thought I recall correctly that was up for the Palmdor along with Shrek two. So it's not the only time that like people have sat around the table and been like, okay, so we're talking best picture here, what did we all think of Old Boy? And then someone just brings up I wasn't Shrek too? I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the hallways saying yeah, but he fucked the donkey fock's a dragon and Shrek.
Speaker 2: Two voting had to be close at least. So last couple episodes of the show what have You Had on? You had? One of my favorite Vinegar Syndrome titles just released today.
Speaker 3: Oh, buddies, Yes, we released that today. Yes, that's arguably one of the best movies we've covered.
Speaker 4: Some period, not even in the series.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, my demon lover. Let me think, let me, thank you. But yeah, we had buddies. We recently had uh we had Mitchell bo Pray, who was supposed to be here today, but they are very busy. But they came on for a double feature of Perfect Strangers and Special Effects.
Speaker 4: Effects, which I am very bummed that I had to miss the recording data of due to something that came up, especially because I watched not only those, but you know, I watched you know, I've seen the stuff, and I watched God Told Me To And what was the other one? I watched The Wings, you know, so I was doing my research and then life happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh that's all good.
Speaker 2: Well, since you didn't get your share that, How do you feel about uh, Larry Cohen? Now?
Speaker 4: I like Larry Cohen. I mean I still feel like I mean I've I've seen him a good chunk now, but I still feel like I'm scratching the surface with him.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 4: It is I think my favorite of his is probably God Told Me To, which I thought I knew what I was getting into with that movie, and I had no effing idea. I mean his Yeah, i think I'm more pro than Kevin would.
Speaker 3: Would that be My favorite? Is the stuff, because that maybe just doesn't give a shit.
Speaker 4: Big fan of the stuff, The stuff is awesome. When I worked at the Coolist Corner Theater a few years ago, I think this was right before the pandemic, we bought a bunch of fluff from night screening of the stuff and printed out the labels for the stuff and just taped them on. And it was the only midnight screening we ever did in which we just had the basics out for fluffer Nutter sandwiches, which people were welcome to do make with the stuff, which was, uh, it was. It was fun. That's weirdly, I've seen that. We also showed the director's cut of the stuff, and I've seen both versions of that, and it was one of the few times they preferred the shorter version of that one. The directors kind of gets into this military subplot that isn't uninteresting but a little bloated. Yeah, it kind of yeah.
Speaker 3: Comes out of nowhere. Yeah, that's the only part on it, just like, hey, no, get back to the stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and funny enough, you know you just mentioned those two. I'm a big fan of you. The wingk Serpent. I don't know if it's my favorite, but just the fact that he went out there and like basically bribe some cop to work for him after their shift and handle everything. That is such a badass idea. But you know, the big thing is everybody's gotta to pay attention to his writing. I mean, other than the stuff that he's directed. He is an incredible scriptwriter. Used to work for insanely cheap and insanely quickly, so because of that, he wrote some crazy off the wall scripts. I feel like a lot of those are really ripe for some good physical media releases.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean, yeah, there's been Vinegar Syndrome. That Wasn't there a vinegar Syndrome release for Perfect Strangers?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And special Effects.
Speaker 3: That Special Effects was olive, I believe.
Speaker 2: Put that out.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that sounds right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which means I guess theoretically we could see it from Sandpiper coming up soon. Oh, of course that, since they're the same people. But other than that, let's get into physical media as a whole. Kevin, what you been picking up lately? I've loved seeing some of those pictures.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness. Okay, so I don't have them today, but I was supposed to get my shipment in from the Rare Waves to for fifteen pounds sale or whatever. So I went nuts on that and got a lot of eighty eight films Hong Kong releases and a lot of Eureka movies. I think it was Eureka. Maybe just a bunch of eighty eight, but that's coming in soon. But yesterday I got a Grindhouse shipment of three Visual Vengeance. That's the Visual Vengeance. So I got Bloody Musty Muscle Builder in Hell of course, damn good one. We got Slaughter Day of course in the Abomination.
Speaker 2: You see those.
Speaker 3: I got black Cat in today, which I got in the Rare Waves thing. I bought this thinking it was the limited edition. It's not. I have two copies of Black Cat. Maybe one of my favorite purchases that I've ever made is I finally got this in in the Line of Duty box set, and this was all. This was a complete blind buy, and every single one of them just it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: They're so good and so different too, like the fact that they you know, you don't have a true through storyline, and yet everybody's just amazing and exciting and engaging the entire time. Really great series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I honestly, like, yes, Madam was probably my least favorite out of the four, and I still liked it. But also I went into it thinking it was gonna be a Michelle Yoh and Cynthia Rothrock just kicking ass, and it's usually and it's mostly these three guys just being like, what does everybody want to kill us? And I'm like, hey, get out here. And then I picked up because in the Line of Duty five through eight or nine or ten, however much there actually is officially all bootlegs of that besides this, which I got from Germany. I believe that's the eighth one. Who knows a few titles I got for I'm trying to get all the Dragon Dynasty movies, so I finally got Killer on Blu Ray, Nice Horror Boiled on Blu Ray, tai Chi Master. I think this is the Ronanflis release of it, and then the Legend one and two Ronan release of that as well, and then I think the rest that I have here are ones that I I picked up. These two Connie releases, I think I don't think it was in the Disconnected discord. I think it was the Boutique Blu Ray discord but I got beaver Erotica and bullets every summer. And then from the the Disconnected Discord, which everybody should join for only seven dollars a month. Who did I? I want to shout them out. I got this today from Zach. From Aaron, I got the Iron Monkey Eureka because I bought the I found the region a one in like a record store for like five dollars. And then I didn't know until I got it that it's like edited, you know. And then from Sam Cohen I got Hard Target on four K.
Speaker 2: I had to get Sam Samon mentioned I totally get it. Charlie, what about you picking up anything recently?
Speaker 4: Not as recently as Kevin. But I do have a lot of stuff that I since the last time I was on the show. So the two big Vinegar Syndrome or you know, uh, you know, uh friends of Vinegar Syndrome stuff. Yes, I got the poetry of Lee Chang Dong uh, which I have not seen any of these yet. No, No, I'm sorry, I've seen poetry which is incredible and I'm eager to revisit that one. I believe the other four or other three are Peppermint Candy, Oasis, and green Fish Green Fish, So I I do need to dive into this. My roommate Oasis is one of his favorite films, although I've heard that one is very uh dice dicey, So yeah, not comfortable viewing. But I'm you know, I am very excited to dive into this. I mean, I saw Burning in theaters a couple times, thought that was one of the best films of that year or like, we're incredible, unbelievable. The Burning is so good that I saw it at a film festival and the Favorite was right after that. The Favorite screened like forty five minutes after Burning, and I couldn't like, I didn't even like it was an able to get into the Favorite the first time I saw because all I could think about was the last fifteen minutes of Brain and it was just not fair. But and I also got theems like Us, which also has an essay by our good friend Mitchell bout Prey. Still need to watch this one, especially with the passing of Shelley devall Rip for She's incredible. I'm an Altman fan. Somehow I've never gotten around to this, but I'm excited to dive into it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And it's New four K release for the first time. I did also get I think this one's a little a little older, but well it came out since the last time we were on the show. But I got Claire Denise Bastards. If any of you haven't seen this and uh you like dark uh dark thrillers, holy crap, the ending of this thing will like just knock you on your ass and then make you want to see it sit through it again. But also yeah, like have you dreading you know, going through the whole experience again, which is I mean, I gotta love that. Frankly, when you get that that chill and you're down your spine and then you're like, oh shit, I need to like, oh God, like I need to go on that pride again. It's yeah, great, Clardon, he's one of my favorite filmmakers. She might come up later, who knows. The Criterion sale, I know was in July, but I did go pretty big on that, especially because there's a Barnes and Noble that is about seven minutes away from where I work, so I was able to pick up Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, which I had never seen until very recently. The New four K release final film by Sam Peck and Paw. Just, I mean, I knew this movie was gonna be awesome. I had, like every Sam Peck and Paw film, I never fully prepared for how sad and haunted I will be by the end of it. Just it's it's an incredible four K release. There are three versions on it. The fiftieth anniversary release and the original theatrical release are in four K. Then there's the final preview cut, which I believe is the longest one. I'm excited to. You know, I've heard the theatrical is a little butchered from you know what he initially intended, and the final pret you cuts a little jinky, But I'm excited to dive into all three versions of that. And then I caught up with a lot of movies that I just love that I really wanted to own. So Drive my Car. Sorry, it's blurry. I'll get blur for am I able to? Yeah, let me get rid of the blur for a sec. Background? Okay, So yeah, Drive my Car just one of the best films of our current decade.
Speaker 2: We'll be talking about himly tonight.
Speaker 4: Yes, here's one that I this is a first time viewing for me that I watched for the first time I think since the last time I went on the show and immediately was like, I need to own this. But Woman in the Dunes, which I believe Jeane Siskel said was one of his favorite films and just some of the most incredible cinematography I've ever seen, a movie that I'm sure I will pick up on little details here and there every every single time I watch it just surreal and it burrows into your brain. This one in a way that like it's hard to It's one of those movies that I've never really felt, the uneasiness and the simultaneous like two things can be true. This is so beautiful and also so unsettling at the same time. But some movies kind of capture a vibe. Then this one is so distinctive that I can't even compare it to anything else. It's the first film by Hiroshi Teshi Gahara that I've ever seen. I can't wait to dive into the rest of this stuff. And I believe there's some short films on here. I think, yes, there are four short films that I need to dive into. On the bonus features a blind by that I have not watched yet, and I'm kicking myself that I haven't. Is Selene and Julie go boating. I I'm just gonna admit, and this is a bit embarrassing. I have yet to dive into Jackravette. I've heard this is a good gateway, despite the fact that it's over three hours long.
Speaker 3: I haven't gotten into him either.
Speaker 2: So I've never watched single one. Charlie, You're in good company.
Speaker 4: Good to know heard this is incredible. I will admit. I was in Barnes and Noble when I bought this, and I introduced show Girls a repertory screening of show Girls at the Summerville Theater in the Boston area, and you know, I mentioned that Jakravette was one of its biggest defenders. And then there was a part of me when I was in that Barnes and Noble who was like, well, if I'm introducing Showgirls, I just I might as well get this for homework or research and of court. And you know, I just didn't get around to it in time, unfortunately. But I'm still excited to watch this and be like, oh, I wonder wonder where this guy loves Showgirls. I don't know, ridiculous at this point, since we're approaching spooky season. I mean, cure the Kyoshi Kiro saw phone. He might also come up later with another mention of one of his movies, But this is one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. During Lockdown, I was in quite a few virtual movie clubs, and there was one where I got to pick an October a movie for a week in October, and I felt like no one had seen this, and I was like, oh, this will be a good one. And while they all enjoyed it, the meeting for that for that club, when it's immediately started with what the fuck? Like what's the matter with you? And yeah days, as well many other things in this movie. I mean, it's just the overwhelming dread that this movie fills me with, is it? He's He's one of our greatest living filmmakers. Kyoshikira Sawa Daisies one of my favorite movies. I haven't watched this release yet. I have seen it on film. Weirdly, right after I saw a screening of Terrence malickx The New World in the same theater, both on thirty five milimeter, and I was it was one of those things where I was just like, God, I just love movies so much. And yeah, it's been a minute since I've seen this, but yeah, one of you know, one of the great, one of the great, is it check? Yeah? Yeah, Czechoslovakian Comedies and another Blind Eye. This is another embarrassing one that I haven't seen, but I am Cuba, which I know Jenna Ortega has been mentioning on her Beetlejuice Beetle Juice tour weirdly, which it's in four K. I've heard that it's one of the best looking movies ever made. Just you know, it was there, I grabbed it. We'll be catching up with that one soon. This is another good one for October. Peeping Tom a new four K. I had to scour the internet to reserve this on the Barnes and Noble website because I think it took me three Barnes and Noble chief sites to just reserve a copy of this, and I ended up driving over several towns just to pick this up. This was impossible to find where I live. And it's kind of amazing because you know, you think about this film's history and how it completely you know, tanked Michael Powell's career came out the same year as Psycho, you know, revitalized Hitchcock completely. Uh And and I think Psycho is a masterpiece. It's one of my favorite Hitchcocks as well. But this film makes a few movies make me feel more complicit in being a voyeur or you know, weapon or make the camera. The weaponization of the camera so upsetting and yet it's so alive at the same time. I love this movie to death, can't wait to revisit that to die for.
Speaker 2: New four K.
Speaker 4: Of that, I mean, it's arguably i'd say top three Nicole Kidman performances like up there, I'd say Birth, like Eyes Wide Shot, maybe maybe Dogville. Yeah, but great movie bound New four K bound. Can't wait to check this out. Also, I keep forgetting this is an unhut version, And I don't know if I've seen the uncut version of this movie. Was the previous release uncut?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna ask was the all of uncut?
Speaker 4: I don't know, Sure, I genuinely don't know. And this is just an oddity, but I was visiting my family and Cape cod My parents now live in Truro, Massachusetts, so it's right outside of Provincetown. So we went shopping one day and in a used bookstore, I found a sealed copy it is no longer sealed because I've watched it, but a sealed copy of the Keno Larber four K of Turbulence for ten dollars, Yes, fully sealed. I was like, I'd never seen it. I had heard of it, but I was like, well, it's ten bucks. I just got to grab it. And yeah, this is a first of all, it's a Christmas movie too. I didn't know that, so I'll probably be revisiting this come December. But Demented, yeah, minted, violent, so much fun. I mean, this movie got so trashed if you look up the reviews during the time of its release. And I sat there just, you know, pretty much cackling the whole time, just thinking, good Lord, what I would give for a movie like this and to come out today and it'll and and you know, I love a good demented Ralio to performance. This movie might be the most unhinged he's ever been, which is saying something, I mean, what would Kevin We're going?
Speaker 3: I'm saying probably, I just can't think of anything else. But I mean what else comes close to Turbulence.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, I mean, I mean, yeah, something wild. He's scary, but like this is like just.
Speaker 5: Like I don't know, Yeah, I like at.
Speaker 4: One point that he's framed all the dead bodies in as if they're having like basically a tea party or a Christmas party or something.
Speaker 3: And then like, I have heard good things about Turbino's three Heavy Metal, which sounds like even more my movie than Turbulence is. Let me tell you, just like take out Raliota put in hair metal band. I'm just like that sounds great.
Speaker 2: Let's go Nark is a good shout and this one actually is a really good one. Unlawful Entry, he's pretty on him.
Speaker 4: I do need to see Unlapful Entry. That is a that is a big blind spot for me.
Speaker 2: And good movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kurt Russell and Medaline Stowe, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Early nineties thriller, not afraid to push the boundaries.
Speaker 3: It's great, Ryan, before you show off. I can't reach it right now. But I got the new Frogman Walmart. Uh yeah, Lee, very happy. I got that drove like thirty five minutes away for our Frogman. That's right.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the counts were off, or they just hadn't get it yet. I'm not gone back to check yet, but the one that Brad said was in stock, it wasn't, so perhaps somebody already bought them all. I'm dying to get it. Uh yeah, it's a big one. A lot of people are very happy that they've been able to just walk into a store and get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do need to see dark. All of these suggestions are things that I need to see. By the way, so thank you for all.
Speaker 2: I am not trying to make Kevin unhappy, but I got my OCN shipman for this month already and so wanted to shout out I used to be funny. This is the new Rachel Sennate and literally everything I've ever seen her in and have been dying to see this since it was announced. When I announced this on the show, Film Movement was not a partner label yet and this movie I could not wait to own. And I was so glad that I could get a throws in Hotel by Jessica Hausner. This thing sounds incredible. Cannot wait to watch this nice looking slip on this one. Back when I.
Speaker 3: Watched that it was a DVD rip on Daily Motion. I couldn't even find the DVD to buy it, so I'm glad that there's a blue rayb in now.
Speaker 2: Uh. With Kevin on the show, had to talk up some s OV so we've got flush freaks. Can't wait to get that crazy, crazy slip cover on this. I am amazed that Ross chose to go here with this slip looks fantastic. Another one I'm amazed with. I am flabbergasted. I can't show the back, but the fact that we have Delirium on four K, and this has had so many just off the wall, not great releases throughout the years, and now we have a vinegar syndrome four K Delirium, mind boggling, just absolutely insane. And then finally, Cinematograph has been a big deal for a lot of people this year, and I think so far this is their best looking physical release. Had to get a fish. Been very happy with the discs, but this is the first of the big media book packages that I went this is This is like a handsome package. This is a really nice way to put this together. I appreciate this a lot, love the way they went with the art style. Eager to watch this absolutely.
Speaker 3: Bought a month ago. Thank you, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: That is what I got. But you guys watch a lot of stuff, so let's talk about that. What have you been watching, Charlie.
Speaker 4: I saw The Substance, which I believe Kevin also saw. Yes, I saw it with Not only did I see The Substance twice, I saw it with Sam Cohen twice. So we saw it on Wednesday for opening night, so yeah, about eight days ago and had a blast. And then the past weekend it was just a rainy Saturday and Sam just texted me like, you want to go see The Substance And I was like, you know what, Yeah, let's go. It's very very divisive. I do understand why, but I found it just an absolute, an absolutely gruesome hoot, and also a very angry and scathing and sad film as well. I mean, I you know, I think that Demi Moore being in the spotlight with this performance and this and and being giving this type of uh a performance that is so brave and vulnerable I found deeply moving and also very very funny. I mean, she goes full Betty Davis at one point in this movie. Without trying to spoil anything. I know that this film has gotten some backlash over the past week, and some people are claiming it as a feminist masterpiece, and some people are claiming that it's just as misogynistic as the targets that it is trying to attack. I somehow found it to be a miraculous This is the second time I'm saying it already. But two things can be true. Type of thing it can be. It can be funny and deeply sad. It can be angry and also you know, fun it can be. It's a lot of things. I'm trying not to get into any specifics because if you haven't seen it, you should go in as blind as possible. But I Kevin feels similarly, Uh.
Speaker 3: If we if we spoiled it, the thing is, nobody'd be like, hey man, thanks for spoiling it. They'd be like, that doesn't happen in the movie. And then they watched it, they're what they did that? Yeah, Now the Substance is fucking incredible. Favorite movie of the year. It was very good to walk out of the movie this year that like, I actually loved, because there's been a few there's been a handful of movies that I've liked, but nothing where I was just like, oh, man, favorite movie the year. I was like, well, I guess by default that's my favorite, but I'm not really that happy about it because before this it was I think the First Omen, which I really liked, like really liked the first Omen, but like, the substance is my shit, like it was made for me. Is entirely everything that I love, a messy movie about culture and also just bodyhord, just grossness, and also the best score I've heard in so long.
Speaker 4: I was listening to the score on Spotify in my car the other day.
Speaker 3: It's been so long since I left a movie theater, which is the goofiest smile on my face. So it was just like, this is why I come here, This is it.
Speaker 4: I'm seeing some comments saying, yeah, I agree that it is purposely shoving the mail gaze in your face, despite the fact that you know directed by Corli Fargiad, I mean with this in Revenge, I think that she has now made two big genre movies that are It's interesting how Revenge kind of deconstructs the male gaze in front of you and makes you feel complicit and then gives you everything that you want out of that revenge movie. And this is a movie very much about self hatred and the specter of patriarchy and how it you know, it kind of burrows its way into making women, you know, like self critical and very and and and that that delves into the body horror. I agree. I think that the film itself is also very much satirizing the male gaze, and it's very much pointing everything directly back at you in the most blunt way possible, which I consider a feature, not a bug. You know, obviously it's not gonna be everybody's cup of tea, but that's also kind of what I love is how kind of in your face and abrasive and how much it does not give a shit whether or not you like it or not. Have you seen it yet, Ryan.
Speaker 2: I have not. We we went the kids to that. We went to the theater with the kids this last week, and so we couldn't go to that. We went into a Beetle Juice. Beetlejuice, Oh, a month after everybody else, and in fact, it's been kind of a kid heavy week. We normally don't move them up like we have, but we felt like it was kind of time. So we we we showed them a monster movie that was like not animated, one that had some customer words and everything. I showed them Cloverfield for the first time. Oh my eight year old. My nine year old sat entranced this entire time. My eight year old almost cried, said it was a sad movie because of the people that were dying. My nine year old absolutely loved it. Was intrigued and asking a lot of questions, and I said, see, this is good. You're doing the right thing. This is what the movie wanted you to do. And so now like I think we're ready to move on to some bigger things. Obviously Tremors is coming up soon. Excited about some others and yeah, it's that period. I've been looking forward to this for years. So we were finally breaking through. I'm excited.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember seeing Cloverfield and opening night, I closed my job at a food court in the mall and just walked right over to the regal that was connected to it. I remember seeing that movie in two thousand and eight and being like, oh it is Oh, it's just perfectly fine to destroy New York again. I guess it's like I remember being like, okay, it's been now so seven years, that's our limit, like ye, but I also feel like that's obviously part of the point. But I do remember just like it was the first time, like even day after tomorrow, I know, New York gets flooded, but like the post nine eleven imagery in that, I mean, I guess we're the worlds as well, but like I guess the specific monuments that get completely taken apart in Cloverfield, it almost felt like it was purposely pushing our buttons in a way that was like, see, we're doing this again, and you're kind of like, oh shit, okay, yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was an interesting, interesting way to look back in twenty twenty four lens against that for sure. Yeah, that was a that was a fun one. And then the other one. I guess I should shout out because I'm not sure if either one of you seen this from this year. And I've not seen many people talking about this. Have you guys seen Blink twice?
Speaker 4: No, I haven't. I am hoping to catch up with it soon. I've heard it's very divisive.
Speaker 2: It is, and I can see why. But it's the best thing. Like it's unique, It's fairly original. It's a movie that is very obviously made for twenty twenty four and needed to be. I think it was a pretty great directorial debut for Zoe Kravitz. Hell of a cast. Nice to see Christian Slater doing something super fun. Channing Tatum comes across as an idiot and diabolical and semi normal. I liked it. I thought it was decent. It had a lot of issues, but still like for what I expected, I think it was a lot better than it could have been.
Speaker 4: I will say I think it's fascinating that Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice is in theaters the same time that a movie Geena Davis is in is also out in theaters, and they are not the same thing.
Speaker 2: And very different movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because when is the last time Geena Davis has been in a movie period?
Speaker 2: She I mean, she's done a couple indies over the last decade, I think, where she's made very small appear errances. But yeah, she's legitimately in Blink twice. That's the good thing. She gets a couple of minutes of screen time at least. Yeah, it's not just a glorified cameo. Nice, all right, we've ready to go through some announcements.
Speaker 3: Then, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: We talked about turbulence for a while. Another one that's very similar like that is starting off around tonight, and that is below from Keno Laber. This is killing Off four K on November twenty sixth. This is from the same director of Pitch Black and stars the likes of Zach galafan Akis, Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams in this. Of course, this is going to have an audio commentary by the director and a handful of the actors, but all of this is all archival ectress from the previous release. They did not do anything new for this, which is kind of surprising, but there's a lot that they've been doing like that recently. I'm kind of shocked some of these four K upgrades. They're not shelling out for anything new.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is HDR, isn't Hasn't Quino been getting shipped for having SDR?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, a lot of the ones that they're doing with Studio Canal, there's no HDR because Studio Canal has not done HDR in a lot of their four K releases.
Speaker 1: Hm hmmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the only thing I know about this movie is it was co written by Darren Aronofsky and that's it. M be I don't know.
Speaker 2: I am eager to see it, though. Let's go to our next one. Uh Yu gi Oh Bonds Beyond Time from twenty ten is getting a blue ray steel book from Sinnada. I'm December seventeenth, or either of you into anime.
Speaker 4: I'd say, I'm I I do like anime. I My root, my good friend and roommate, has a subscription to Crunchy Role and watches every single show that is ever streamed on there. I I would consider myself like a casual fan, more of a you know, more into the Satashi Khan you know, right, me as Zaki uh uh uh Sao Takahata like. I'm much more well versed in you know, certain film tours when it comes to anime. But I mean, I love Nean Genesis Evangelian, I loved Pokemon growing up. I was a little too old, I think, for Yu gi Oh by the time that came out, so I never I never got into this, but I know that, you know, obviously, it still has you know, tons of fans, and I am curious, so.
Speaker 2: I would like to point out I do not love that there's basically zero art on the inside. However, I think it's really neat to include the list of bonus features on the inside of the steel book like this.
Speaker 3: Interesting even if the I mean, I think the only reason they did that is because the features bonus features interactive menu. Yeah, every time I think about Yugoh, I was big into it when I was little. I remember every Sunday the Hastings Video Store would have Yu gi Oh get togethers. Were just a bunch of nerds that you know, would play Yugyoh. But I remember one day I did not want to play Yu gi Oh because I wanted to rent the Ring on VHS, but they were all rented out, so I spent two hours just walking around waiting for somebody to return the ring. You know what I got at the end of the day, I got the Ring on VHS.
Speaker 2: And now maybe somebody will talk about it tonight, which, by the way, I didn't bring up our topic after an announcement. Tonight, we're gonna be talking our top ten favorite horror from two thousand to two thousand and nine, and we're gonna be starting a series the next couple of times the almost major boys come back. We're gonna be doing twenty ten to twenty nineteen on the next one, and then the twenty twenties for the appearance after that. Cannot fricking wait. This was really hard to get to a top ten, by the way it was.
Speaker 3: I there are quite my honorable mentions are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I'm gonna okay, good, we're to say honorable mentions.
Speaker 2: I have honorable mentions.
Speaker 4: It was tough, and also trying to spread the love in between certain sub genres of horror, and yeah, well.
Speaker 3: It was hard because I chose it because I'm like, oh, the two thousands are so bad, and then I came up with a top ten in like two minutes, So I don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: We will get into all that nuance and just a little bit. Next one Transformers one, which literally just got released. This is coming into four K steal book, a standard four K release, and then of course Blu ray DVD all from Paramount. This is coming soon. We don't have a release date on it yet, but you can pre order these now. And I've heard nothing but fairly positive reviews about this one. My kids are going to see that with Grandma this weekend. I hope it's a decent hell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I our friend Jamie. I think they liked it. I did not know this thing existed until like a week ago.
Speaker 3: A week yeah, like a week before. I was just like, what is that? Okay?
Speaker 4: I will say I was listening to an episod. So the most recent episode of Linoleum Knife, which is Alonzo dur All Day and Dave White, who are the critics for the rap who are married to each other, and Alonso is describing this movie to Dave and said, this is the movie where that it answers the lifelong question what happened when Megatron and Optimist Prime were friends? And Dave White just said, is this a question that keeps people up at night?
Speaker 2: That people have been waiting forty years to hear? The resolution? For Good God? Next up, VCI releasing Impact from nineteen forty seven. This is coming on January twenty first on Blu Ray. This is one that a lot of people have been waiting on because it's got anime Wong, Charles Coburn, Ela Raines. One that I believe had like a pretty pretty widely released DVD back in the day, but just a title that has not had any love on Blu Ray yet.
Speaker 3: I love this art in the top right hand corners, so fun that guy is having a time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I love how that that's not terrible, it's it's interesting.
Speaker 2: But they felt the need to go with twenty percent of the art to have film.
Speaker 3: Noir in a big if you couldn't tell.
Speaker 2: Next up, Hot Pursuit coming soon from Keno Lobra on Blu Ray. This is a big one. This is John Cusack and it's got a Jerry Stiller and his young scrappy son Ben Stiller being an asshole in this one.
Speaker 3: Huh oh and Keith David Hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, David, Robert Loggio. This is from eighty seven, way back in the day.
Speaker 3: Seeing this cover reminded me tangent. But when when we we already recorded our episode of nine ran Umstry two, which we had the mixed reviews guys on was awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome episode. But Gavin was bringing up the way that that Nimrin Lmsture two probably got popular, was like USA up all night and I was like, oh yeah, I haven't thought about that forever. And then I scoured the internet, downloaded all the full episodes I could find, and so many of them are movies that if they're not called hot Pursuit, you would think they're called hot Pursuit, where it's like Beach Balls, Extreme Malibu Summer Party. And I'm like, I would never watch these movies solo. But the fact that I can watch them, you know, preserved in time from the nineties, I'm like kind of interested. I did that last night. I watched the full episode of Hell Comes to Frogtown. That movie is kind of boring.
Speaker 2: Actually it's one.
Speaker 3: I mean, the frogs are great. There's a lot of frogs. There's a lot of roddy piper. But I was expecting more roddy piping and we didn't get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I get that. Uh. Next one, probably Keno's biggest announcement in quite some time. They are put out a four K release of Happy Gilmore.
Speaker 4: I sent this to Kevin when I saw that, because Kevin and I have a lot of nostalgia for nineties Adam Sandler movies that we grew up with. I would say this and Billy Madison of those, I mean, like, when it comes to my favorite Adam Sandler movies on Cut Gems and Punch Drunk Love. But in terms of like the Adam Sandler starring comedies that he was known for, I mean, This Is This and Billy Madison are probably the best. I mean, Wedding Singer I actually.
Speaker 3: Great film.
Speaker 2: It's great singer.
Speaker 4: I somehow missed that one during my childhood. I don't know how. I don't know how I missed it and only caught up with it like five years ago, But it's great. But yeah, Happy Gilmore, I mean rip Carl Weathers too. It's yeah, it's gonna I haven't watched it since he passed.
Speaker 3: But Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are basically the two pillars that uphold almost major because all we do is just quote from these two movies. We actually don't talk about any movie recovering. We just we just do Adam Sandler voices and quotes from both of these movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I remember watching Happy Gilmore for the first time. I was at a sleepover at like in like fifth grade, in order to Pepperoni pizza and was like, this is the greatest night of my life. I was ten years old and getting to watch a new Adam Sandler.
Speaker 3: Movie, Charlie. You can do the same thing tonight and it would be the same feeling, order of Pepperoni pizza and put on Happy Gilmore. It would be great.
Speaker 2: I am so jealous of people that don't have kids right this moment. Go into our next one. Leon aka Leon the Professional from nineteen ninety four getting a four K steel book in the UK from Studio Canal on December two. This is a slightly upgraded release potentially from what I hear. But the big thing I actually really like the art on this one, that this has not had really great art in the last couple of rounds of physical media. I feel like this is a pretty big title for a lot of people, obviously Jean Renaud and Gary Oldman, but of course young Natalie Portman. How do you guys feel about this one?
Speaker 3: It's a great movie that I'm surprised, like I'm always so surprised that it was directed by absolutely nobody.
Speaker 4: I have not seen it in a very long time, but it'sation for me a lot in high school watchers recommended to me. Actually, and then I got into sorry Kevin.
Speaker 3: I was just saying I watched this at the same time I watched like American History Acts at the same time, and like Boondocks Saints and just turned into the biggest shitthill in seventh grade. I haven't seen any of those since, and they should probably stay that way. I will say, I wish The Steel Book just had Gary Oldman on the front. Yeah, that'd be great.
Speaker 2: I'm really impressed that this movie made Jean Renau skyrockets like one of the most famous actors in the world for two years and then he disappeared again.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, what like who's in Godzill Andronan in nineteen ninety eight?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, he did a Crimson Rivers that was kind of big back then too.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was in Margaret. He wasn't Margaret. Yeah, sorry, had to happen at some point.
Speaker 2: October twenty eighth in the UK, Nucleus Films is putting up Blood bat at the House of Death from nineteen eighty four. This is familiar because Vinegar Syndrome just released this in what most people will say is a much better release. However, if you are a big fan of UK comedy, you might want to double dip on this one. And I will say, if you scroll down a little bit this has a bonus Blu Ray disc that includes the Kenny Everett Naughty Joke Box that's almost eighty minutes long, and then a year later the new Kenny Everett Naughty video, which is again almost eighty minutes long. They were done, I believe for like late night TV in the UK, and so many people have had problems being able to find these for years, and now they're getting It's probably only an SD on Blu Ray release, but still the fact that it will be out there, so glad that people are gonna be able to see this.
Speaker 3: Hold On, hold On. Sibner is saying that he worked on Margaret. Charlie, do you need five minutes to talk to Sibner?
Speaker 4: Yeah, please tell me everything. Margaret is one of my gun to my head, top ten favorite movies ever. Probably I've been on record saying it's my top favorite movie of the twenty tens, and I will stand by that easily.
Speaker 3: Holy shit, Yeah, we need to we need to investigate this further. But I will say I was never even heard of Nucleus Films. They eitherything else that I would remember to be like, oh they put that out, Okay.
Speaker 2: I believe their associated with screen bound over there.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 2: And not super high quality m yeah yeah, but either way, it's it's cool. Those are coming on Blu Ray. Going back to anime for a quick moment. November twenty six, the Blu Ray from Crunchy Roll on Attack on Titan Final Season the Final Chapters, Part three, which is one of the reasons I can never collect anime. This is the final season, but only the final chapters and only part three. And it's this crazy limited edition with four discs. That's sure.
Speaker 3: This won't even fit on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Right, it's crazy, absolutely crazy. Uh. And then the special features on this textless ending songs and that's it. Okay, all right, going to the next one. Uh, this is where all of the drama started. Let's get into it for a moment. December one, in the UK, we are getting Blu Ray releases of Cannibal the Musical. We are also getting The Toxic Avenger, and we're also getting Sergeant Kabuki man NYPD. Now starting with Cannibal the Musical. This is a huge deal because this film has never been on Blu Ray. This has not had a great release, that hasn't had a new restoration in quite some time. This is a big deal for a lot of people that love trauma. This was one of the biggest ones for a lot of people that love South Park. This is when they've wanted for a long time because Trey and Matts are involved in this, and this has I mean, the number of special features is longer than the Instagram window. That's how crazy this is. They went all the way back to the master tapes on this, did a full shot by shot restoration. They've got tons of different cuts. They've got deleted scenes that were approved by Trey and Matt from this year. They've got all the commentaries that have ever been done on this. They've got all kinds of interviews, they've got all the epks, they've got everything going back years and years and years.
Speaker 3: Then, uh, that sounds great, Brian. Nothing else happened ran a.
Speaker 2: Couple hours after that, and we'll get back to some of this other stuff. Vineger Syndrome says, Hey, by the way, coming in November, a month earlier than Refuse Films, we are putting out a blu ray as part of the Degausser line of Cannibal the Musical. So if you're in the US, you might want to pick up this one. They're saying that their addition will be housed in a VS style hard case with the original art and a forty page perfect bound scrapbook. And in addition to featuring an exclusive to Degausser new restoration from the highest quality video master, They've done a brand new feature length making of documentary, including appearances from several never before interviewed crew members, a new featurette covering the stage adaptation of the film, and a new group commentary with cast and crew. They're saying this is on top of hours and avers of amazing archived extras. Now, I've got nothing against Vinegar Syndrome releasing their own version of this. I've got nothing against Refuse Films putting this out. The hard part here is the owner, Liam of Refuse Films has come out and let everybody know that Vinegar Syndrome has told us retailers not to stock the UK release of this film. I have supported Vinegar Syndrome for quite some time. Not gonna say anything negative about that necessarily, but that is extremely anti competition and anti consumer in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I've definitely heard stuff about that with the I think it was the eighty eight film's release of like the Iceman comment that Vinegar Syndrome's version that some retaillers have said that Vinegar Syndrome is like, hey, why don't you just not you.
Speaker 4: Know, I had no idea about this drama until just now. That is.
Speaker 2: It's not the first time. Yeah. Another one that was recent was Treasured Films put out Mausoleum and they did the same thing. It's kind of shitty, kind of shitty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's it's not it's not like a one to one. It's like they both were working on versions of it, it seems like, and they both like very independently. So it's just like it. Yeah, it sucks, no way around it. It sucks even if Vinegar sistrom is saying that they can't carry it whatever anything like that. Like, even if it didn't, it was just like we spent all this work and somebody else is.
Speaker 2: Also doing it.
Speaker 3: You know, that really does suck. I will say I'm getting the deals version because I'm buying all the degals from movies, So I almost bought this on DVD like last month too, so I'm thankful I didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't have anything against Vinegar Syndrome saying hey, we got ours coming out. That's a good thing to let customers know that.
Speaker 3: That's happening on the import Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Not against that whatsoever, But bullying retailers into not carrying competitors' products, that's the shitty party. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't really like that, No, because I think I heard I think it was on Reddit as well. I think Mark from Orbit was saying something were just like yeah on stuff that we've carried, both of them, Vinegar Sistrom has like overwhelmingly sold them out. So it's like, I don't see why. It feels like you guys have to be like, don't sell it. It's just like, if you're proud of your product, most people that are in the US are going to buy that one unless they already want to buy like the eighty eight Films version or the Eureka version. It's just like, just right, let both of them sell. Especially. It feels really bad because I don't know if this was if this was like an eighty eight Films or Eureka that puts out a bunch of stuff, But this is a company that I did not know existed until this announcement came out and they feel like very small. Seems like they worked really hard on it and then just kind of gets sidelined by another of these.
Speaker 2: For the record, this is literally their third, fourth, and fifth releases that we're talking about tonight. They've only done before this. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyways, if people want to order from Refuse Films, I strongly suggest it. I'm definitely gonna be buying the three pack just to show support to the young startup company here, because honestly, the special features really kind of blow it out of the water. I don't see the degasser one having this much on there. I'm not saying that they're not gonna be different, because they're definitely gonna be different, but yeah, I think this is the better package to me overall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm gonna get the Kabookie Man Blu Ray because the toxic avendrome. I'm probably gonna get that four pack. I think four K Yeah, Yeah, might get that.
Speaker 2: Stan. The release date on these is December first in the UK, And by the way, if anybody's gonna go over there to support and order shipping and all that stuff, just a heads up the shipping because it's from the UK. Sixteen dollars, and I know that sticker shock for a lot of people, and that's one of the reasons why I have such a problem with this, because if Orbit could carry these, shipping would never be a problem for people. Yeah, if Diabola could carry these would be a flat six dollars shipping, no big deal. But yeah, the big thing here is to support them, you have to buy all three titles or you know, whatever you're gonna get, say you're gonna get Cannibal, and then spend sixteen to get track shipping. That's the only one they had reservoirs saying is the movie any good? Like South Park or not? Kevin, you want to answer that one.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen Kennibal with musical in like probably like twenty years. But I mean I as somebody who went through.
Speaker 2: What was that.
Speaker 3: I think it was last year. I went through the South Park Pandemic specials and I had not watched South Park in probably like fifteen years, and it was just like, I was expecting this to be worse than it is, and it's actually kind of just there and kind of lazy. I was like, Okay, let me go back to like the first few seasons. First you've seen the South Park is fucking fantastic then and now I rewatched the movie. The movie's fantastic. I a door. I know they didn't write it, but I adore basketball.
Speaker 2: I say it's so good.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's not my favorite comedy, but if there's a movie that can make me laugh harder, it's that movie. It's it's so goddamn funny.
Speaker 2: So I'm And it features real big fish on screen, so I'm happy with that.
Speaker 3: Sure, but not a ska man. But yeah, I draw basketball. And we were talking about on the discorders, like if they put out like a stupid ass two hundred dollars version with like a lazy boy ball, I'm buying three for Christmas gifts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll say Cannibal to the Musical is incredible. It's great as a very unique piece on your shelf. It is hilarious comedy, similar to South Park, but yet also very very different. Basically, you like, you can tell it's the same people, but don't expect the same exact tone and everything you got.
Speaker 3: From If you've seen the Book of Mormon, I assume that would be more in line, much more in line, yes, or the South Park movie with all the you know, all the songs.
Speaker 2: True, So that's Cannibal the musical. Like I said, they're also doing the Toxic Avenger And yes this is off to see because this is only coming on Blu ray and there is a four K release in the States. However, once again the list of special teacher that is not on the actual Trauma release of the four K, which this does have the same four K scan of the director's cuts and all that, so you can expect it to look just as good, just a little bit less on Blu Ray. This has basically everything you could possibly want for the Toxic Avenger on there.
Speaker 3: There's our sweet boy there.
Speaker 2: And then third one Sergeant Kabuki man NYPD. Yet again, this has all kinds of ridiculousness on here, tons of cuts, tons of interviews, commentaries, pretty much everything that you could ever want on here, plus a brand new interview with Lloyd Kaufman. These are going to be incredible releases. And if you want, there is a bundle pack for all three that goes down in price by like around the price of shipping essentially, so if you're all free, it's kind of like getting all three for free shipping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, KB is saying like Orgasmo, yes, that should probably get a non universal studio disrelease. I would assume, yes, please.
Speaker 2: Stan's been waiting for a comprehensive release and here you go, perfect for you, all right, So that is that we'll get past the drama. Now, speaking of something without drama, I interviewed the director of Strange Darling and oh you had J T. Muhner on the channel. Check that out was a fun one. This has one of my favorite moments in one of my interviews yet because he had no idea his film was getting a four K release and I got to show him the four kuhd release coming out in the UK and he reacted in kind at that moment for it, which was a big deal.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: The next Keynote cult title has been revealed. This is coming on November nineteenth, and it is one thousand Convicts and a Woman from nineteen seventy one. This is one of those ones that I feel like they could have gotten a little more, but Keno Colet, they started strong and then the supplements kind of started to dwindle. This one. Here is an eighteen minute featurette by James McKay with some interviews with the assistant director and a stunt actor, a couple other people. And then we've got an audio commentary by the Alexandra Hay biographer Dylan Dean Staley, featuring some archival interviews with the director Ray Austen.
Speaker 3: I never heard of this movie. This poster that I will buy. Yeah, you will now watch the movie. This kicks ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Roddy says, that's not a very good ratio. Yes, right. Next, One on one Films in the UK releasing When we Were Kings from nineteen ninety six on November fourth on Blu Ray. If you've got the previous release of this that came out in the States, you're probably not gonna want this. This only has an interview with Leon gaest On there. However, I belie leave. This is the first time it's been released on Blue in the UK, so it is good for a friends across the pond.
Speaker 3: I really like one on one films. They're limited black label releases are really awesome.
Speaker 2: I hear this one's getting kind of rare already.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah. That ghost Watch release of that is like one of my favorite Blu Ray releases. I love it so much.
Speaker 2: It's a decent one. Slingshot from twenty twenty four is coming on October twenty second from Decal and Bleaker Street. First off, what is this art?
Speaker 3: Fake movie?
Speaker 2: Second, if you're going to smash two of these people up against the camera to take the picture, why put their names? Seems the opposite order.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, really, you could.
Speaker 3: Just mirror the image. Guys. Come on, now, that's.
Speaker 4: That's that's doing your homework and homeroom type of the type of.
Speaker 2: Work right there.
Speaker 3: Hey, Charlie, did you know did you know that some fears are darker than space? Did you know that?
Speaker 4: I don't know what that means? Do I?
Speaker 2: Sivenar is saying, check this one out? Is this a positive review of Slingshot?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: He says this movie was a major mind fuck. Interesting. Ronnie says very confusing, So already yeah, major mind fuck good job. Huh uh. It's a psychological thriller starr in Casey Affleck and Lawrence Fishburne. It follows an elite trio of astronauts aboard a years long, possibly compromise mission to Saturn's moon Titan. As the team gears up for a highly dangerous slingshot maneuver that will either catapult them to Titan or into deep space. It becomes increasingly difficult for one astronaut to maintain his grip on reality.
Speaker 3: Hmm. So you're saying that they're in a bit of a slingshot.
Speaker 4: By Michael Hofs who did fourteen oh eight and the Right and Derailed. I've seen one of those. I saw fourteen o eight in theaters.
Speaker 7: Ours, Aaron says, like, Bobby oh Man, goodness, all right.
Speaker 2: Next one is It Ends with Us, the Blake Lively movie that I feel like nobody saw November fifth, Blu ray DVD from Sony. I did not see this one, Charlie, you see this one.
Speaker 4: Nope, didn't read the book barely. I know the book is just as it wasn't. There a lot of controversy that came with this movie, and also the book was a huge bestseller, but some people considered it problematic. That's really all I know. Like, I don't know much about it.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, Ryan, it feels like nobody's seen it. This movie made like one hundred and eighty million dollars.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Go with God.
Speaker 2: I don't know, oh Man.
Speaker 3: Whatever you say. People saw it, okay.
Speaker 2: Another movie people saw Oppenheimer already getting an Ultimate Collector's edition. This is coming on November eighteenth in the UK from Universal, and it will have a sixty page abridged Unleashing Oppenheimer book, a soft touch and spot UV rigid slipcase, three disc gloss and deboss steel book, double sided poster and art cards, and special features on the bonus disc that I believe are new compared to last year. Already, I thought.
Speaker 3: Mill you've seen was already putting out Unleash and Oppenheimer, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: That was Unleashing opens heiny there we are now very close.
Speaker 4: I really this was one of the movies that everybody loved last year that like, it's my favorite Nolan in a long time. But I've realized and this is definitely a me thing that Nolan. I still love Memento in the Dark Knight, and I think those movies are great and have a lot of fondness for Nolan's earlier work, but this movie left me far colder than it did a lot of other people. And I will probably watch them get at some point, but not as over the moon for it as most people. I think it's it's He's I think there are some of the best sequences he's done a long time. I've seen in the Gymnasium is pretty pretty powerful. I just don't think Nolan understands how human beings interact, which is not fair because I, you know, you could say the same thing about Track, who the fun? And then my response to that is, who cares? It's fun?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, I didn't catch up on this. I was too busy watching Let Me See twenty twenty three five nights at Freddy's. I'm sorry for him, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I love how Ronnie's comment about the last movie also works for Oppenheimer. I haven't seen it, but a lot of people say it goes very easy on the abuser.
Speaker 4: Hey, now, Leon, I do think Killian Murphy's amazing in Oppenheimer, I just it was great. Yeah, I just it's interesting. I finally caught up with JFK, and clearly you know, and obviously knew that JFK had influenced Oppenheimer and Oliver Stone and I don't always get along either, But I'm just like, oh, this is the unhinged Biopit like like, it's not even a biopic, but like, I guess it is good. It's just it's a biopic based on potential bullshit. But I'm just like, oh, this is unhinged in the way I wanted Oppenheimer to be, and I feel like Nolan can be such a control freak that I almost wanted it to be something else, but that's not fair for what it is. I think it's good a movie that I will definitely read, visit over time, and hope that I just will go, oh, I was wrong the first time, Like, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm loving what you're saying about Nolan. I gotta ask, how do you feel about the prestige?
Speaker 4: I do like the Prestige, I'm not I'm not as crazy about it as some people. I like it. I'd consider it like I definitely I like it more than Oppenheimer. I think weirdly, Memento is my favorite, and it has been since high school, and there's a lot of nostalgia as a I have towards that movie, which is certainly coloring every viewing I've had as an adult. But I feel like there's something about Nolan's movies when his brother helps write them, that helps with the emotional connection. I have to them. Did he write actually, did Jonathan co write the Prestige or is that just.
Speaker 2: I think he did. I may be wrong, but I feel like that, Yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then my argument doesn't really hold water. Yeah, I like it. I feel like Nolan kind of uses characters like chess pieces. And there are certainly filmmakers where I'm sure you could say I enjoy their work and they do the same thing, and I will say this, I mean, he's keeping Every movie that Nolan makes is an event that I am always excited to go to, and they are original works that are not franchise films or you know, sequels or whatnot. I mean, unless you have the Batman movies. But it's interesting to me how like his heightens over his heightens over dramatic, like I like when he's kind of in pulp mode. And I know that Memento can kind of fall into that with like just the standard film more. But there's something about Mento and the focus on three main characters that when he starts, you know, I think some people can make the same argument about Wes Anderson when the dollhouses get too big, and it's more about the ways everything can intertwine with one another. I feel like an element sometimes more than I like Nolan. But now I'm just going and I feel like Oppenheimer for like forty five minutes, so I'll just shut up. But anyway, all right.
Speaker 2: Next, let's talk about a movie that's celebrating its twentieth anniversary, Sean of the Dead getting a four K steel book from Universal, also getting a standard four K release of the twentieth anniversary edition. Now this one is an interesting one because the original four K did not get rave reviews. But this has been upgraded with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, and there's a new piece with Edgar Wright on the twenty year anniversary on this, So if you're a super fan of the movie, you might want to pick this up. I actually really like the Stu book on this. Except for me, it's really weird to put the director as a character.
Speaker 4: On that is strange. Everything else I think is really cool though.
Speaker 3: Yeah I get why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd say this is still my favorite of oh your rates films, and also you know the ones that he's of the Sorry I'm forgetting the name of.
Speaker 3: The trilogy cornetto Yeah, yeah, I have the Triple Blu ray pack. I've been wanting to get the four K Triple pack, but now that I'm hearing the Shawn of the Dead, which I'm pretty sure was the only one shot on film from that three pack, doesn't look the greatest. Now I'm just like, oh, so I have to buy two different things shoot me in the face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well now, but at this point they'll probably do the same for the next two and release the twentieth anniversary.
Speaker 3: Of both.
Speaker 2: Great. I love this movie. I still think Hot Fuzz is better, and I appreciate it World's End way more than most people. I think it deserves a rewatch that yeah, not willing to give it. I like it.
Speaker 3: I've only seen it once though, but yeah, seen seventy eight times.
Speaker 4: Probably same. I do like The World's End more than most people, but agree that Yeah, the World's End, I you know, has a lot of pathos to it that I find found pretty moving when I saw it, what like a letter of years ago in the theater. Has it really been that long? Good word?
Speaker 3: That's right?
Speaker 2: Yeah boy. Next up is Freedkin's Bug, getting the four K release from Keno on November twenty sixth. This is the one that they canceled and is now back on simply because Friedkin passed away. This is of course starring Ashley Judd, Michael Shannon, Harry Connick, Jude and like I mentioned earlier, no new extras on this at all.
Speaker 4: I love this movie. I do we.
Speaker 2: Lose you, Charlie.
Speaker 3: Charlie, you're still there?
Speaker 4: Oh oh am?
Speaker 2: I well now I can hear you. Yeah, go ahead, Ken, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just got the imprint of this like whenever that got announced. I got that and like Lenny at the same time. So I think I'm good on upgrading this. But top tier Oklahoma cinema right here, let me tell you.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Do any of you remember how they advertise this movie with like a forty five second trailer.
Speaker 3: They're like, we can't advertise this.
Speaker 4: Well, they implied that it was gonna be like literal. The whole movie is ambiguous, I mean, and in my opinion not even that really, but they had to sell it like it actually was about Buggy. Yeah, and I believe correct me if I'm wrong. I have a weird memory that I think this opened the same day as the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie and I remember going to my movie theater because I was a teenager, and you know, we all went and saw Pirates on opening night. But I'm pretty sure that Bug was just banished to like the you know, the small theater in the corner, just like it was kidding. It was that kid at recess. That's just like, I mean, I'll hang out with someone, but if you don't want to, it's fine, just like Kicking Rock basically like they they.
Speaker 3: Did in fact come out the same day, Charlie.
Speaker 4: I don't know why my brain works this way.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: We used to have counter programming like this. Okay, yeah, I go, Pirates series sold out? How about we go see uh Bug? Yeah all right, yeah yeah that.
Speaker 4: Note actually Jude's best performance.
Speaker 2: But anyway, Oh interesting Cattle Drive coming from Keno on November nineteenth. This is from nineteen fifty one with Dean Stockwell and Joel McCrae. Yeah, a lot of people seem to be excited about this one. I've never seen of it never. I don't know anything about it. This one either, one of you know these classic westerns.
Speaker 4: I do love classic westerns, but I haven't really gotten into them until let's say fairly recently. I don't know this one at all.
Speaker 3: As Sibner is saying, how do you think this movie compares to Jade? That's what I need to.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming that means bug yes.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: Jade is one of those weird movies where the opening shot is like, oh shit, like like okay, this is totally a freakin movie, and then it gets a little boring, and then something insane will happen, and then it gets boring again, and then I don't.
Speaker 3: Remember the greatest chase scenes ever gets boring again.
Speaker 4: Awesome. I don't remember who said it, but I think it was a podcast that was like it is one of those movies that just kind of ends where you're like, wait, the movie's over, and then the movie itself is like I guess like.
Speaker 3: The theatrical version is the endia to that. It's just like you literally just gave up. The directions cut makes sense, but the theatrical version legitimately just gives up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it's kind of nuts. That's the version I saw.
Speaker 3: It's just a not a good movie. Everybody check it out.
Speaker 2: Perfect perfect recommendation. Next up is one that caught some people by surprise. October twenty second, Warner Brothers is releasing The Hitcher on four K and on Blu Ray their own damn self in the US thanks to the Digital Bits Bill Hunt dropping this info if you were wanting this one. It is the same scan and restoration as the second site, but as far as special features, this has an audio commentary by Robert Harmon and Eric Red and a new video interview with Robert Harmon and a trailer and that is it, which compared to the second site, that is next to nothing. However, the hard part here for a lot of people, and I'm I'm no way telling people please go out and buy this. Please don't take me for saying that. However, I'm willing to bet. Internally at Warner Brothers, they're announcing this and saying, well, shit, if the Hitcher does well, we need to release a whole bunch more catalog titles. Maybe people will start buying these like crazy, And honestly, it's not gonna do that great, probably because most people that are buying physical media have already pre ordered from the UK.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also, why would you wait? It's like they started thinking about this like five Like what how long has second site's been doing the Hitcher for like what like nine and a half years.
Speaker 2: Now, jiel Well, yeah, it's been announced for about three years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you could have on this and like everybody that really has been waiting for the Hitch already has that shit pre ordered. So movie itself though, Yeah, that's fun stuff.
Speaker 2: I am glad it's getting released here. I think that means more people will have a chance to buy it, because as much as we all in the chat, I want to believe that everybody in the world imports physical media, most people do not. And just being able to go on Amazon and type in the Hitcher and see something pop up as a local release, this is a big deal. The other big deal too, The four K is twenty five dollars right now on Amazon to pre orders. Wow, that is a damn good price. Yeah. So even though probably seventy five percent of this chat has already pre ordered the second site release, this is still a very good thing that it's getting released. M all right. We got some titles coming from Umbrella and I know next to nothing about this drop, but this seems like a Kevin drops. So let's see if I'm right on that. January fifteenth, they are releasing Severance from two thousand and six. Is this one you've seen, Kevin, No, I have not.
Speaker 4: I have back when I had Netflix delivering DVDs to my house in high school, but it has been so long that I do not remember anything about it. So I have, but if you showed it to me again, it would probably be a pretty fresh experience. So yeah, I remember it being fine. But yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Is one that a lot of people in the comments seem to be very excited for.
Speaker 3: Not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just recently, like before we got on Heroes on Umbrella because I was just like, I need to get the four K qure and then I looked at the shipping and I was just like I need to be able to get free shipping from Umbrella. So I added on like two other things, and I was like, now it's nine hundred dollars, but it's free shipping. But that Cure four case set that they have is beautiful. I'll probably get the trash Humps limited, but not the full limited version or whatever.
Speaker 2: The forty dollars release, not the one hundred dollars release.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's they don't have the limited edition of Bully anymore, which I'm upsete quick but instead I'm just getting Martyrs, because of course I will.
Speaker 2: This one is as usual, coming with a forty eight page book with a whole bunch behind the scenes stuff. It's got a hard box and then a slipcase, got eight art cards, versible poster, and it's a numbered box. And then as far as supplements, they've got an audio commentary with Christopher Smith, the director, and a whole bunch of people that were in this film. We got a new interview with a writer and director. We've got a new interview with the actor Andy Nyman, a bunch of featurettes from back in the day, some deleted scenes and outtakes. It sounds good. I'd like to see it for sure.
Speaker 3: Then spend eighty dollars on it. Ryan Long, it looks incredible, like Umbrella's limited releases always look so good. I don't think. I don't think I have any Unbrella anything, but I definitely that Q four K might be my first four A into them.
Speaker 2: It's dangerous, dangerous to dip that toe, for sure.
Speaker 3: I'm already getting into Nova Media. It's fine.
Speaker 2: Those are real dangerous. Next one from them is Metal Skin from nineteen ninety four, again Blu Ray on January fifteenth, Same Thing, forty eight page book with a bunch of behind the scenes experiences and art with essays, hard box case a eight eight art cards, a reversible poster. It's numbered, and then Same Thing audio commentary with the director, Jeffrey Wright, producer, composer DP few other people, brand new Q and A with Jeffrey Wright and for the producer Daniel Sharf filmed a Fantastic Film fest where they screened Metal Skin, some original interviews from ninety five and Loverable. It's a short film, and then the motion picture soundtrack is in this as well.
Speaker 3: Goodness. Yeah, I've never even heard of this, but never heard of it, I believe probably on my radar.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I've never heard of Metal Skin, and weirdly the only when I saw the title lover Boy, even though I haven't seen this movie, I was like, is that the movie Kevin Bacon directed. I was just like, oh no, that's a completely different movie.
Speaker 3: A movie I've seen. It's tell ask me one thing about it. I would get it wrong.
Speaker 4: Isn't it about like like kiis Sedgwick's a bad mom or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Basically I watched it because Sandra Bullocks and it's CenTra Bullocks Center for thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's great. Next one is Lars and the Real Girl, the only one that I knew anything about when this got announced, also January fifteenth on Blu Ray in Australia. Most people know a little bit about this, this movie, so I'll just say same thing. Forty eight page book with essays, and then they've got the hard box slipcase. They've got eight art cards, reversible poster, numbered release, and then they got an audio commentary with the writer and critic Thomas Caldwell on this audio essay by Josh Neilson, and then a couple of featurettes in a one deleted scene.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 4: I have never seen this, and it's always been on my radar. It's been on my radar since it came out in two thousand and seven, and I somehow have just never gotten around to it because I know it has a huge following, or you know, devoted following at the very least.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think I saw it like after Drive came out. I thought it was fine. I wish that screen Factory would have done this because it would have been like nine hundred dollars, and you know what they would have included riot A giant actual doll no giant snowblobe.
Speaker 4: I think most people would agree this is Craig Gillespie's best film by a mile.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 3: Probably, I don't know. I unfortunately every time I somehow watch one of his movies, it's just exited my brain. So do some research.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've seen it, Tanya. I have not seen Cruella or Dumb Money or Mister Woodcock. I just know that a lot of people whenever Craig Gillespie's brought up, they a lot of people I know, go oh, but he did Lars and the Real Girl. That one's wonderful.
Speaker 3: And I remember liking the remake of Friday Night.
Speaker 2: I was about to say that the Friday remake was decent.
Speaker 4: I never saw that movie. Is that now I saw the original?
Speaker 2: I have not.
Speaker 4: I remember the remake being like it's someone describing it is it's a horror movie where Colin Farrell wants to fuck your mom.
Speaker 3: Kind of think that's everyone of Callin Ferrell movies. Is even even Tigerland or whatever that one's called.
Speaker 2: You just changed the genre out. He always wants to fuck your mom.
Speaker 3: Though, Yeah, him and Daredevil Man, Him and the bad Man. Unfortunately he wants fucking.
Speaker 2: This does feel like a Charlie movie. I will say that it's it's decent. It's never been my favorite, but yeah, it's worth it.
Speaker 4: My roommate's a big fan. Definitely need to catch up with it at some point. Maybe now is a good time.
Speaker 2: That would be a good time. Next one is Creep from two thousand and four, not the other Creep with Mark Duplas. I wish it was the other one. This one forty eight page book with some behind the scenes again hard box slipcase, and then eight art cards and reversible poster just like the rest of them. Very reminiscent of the Midnight Meat Train cover Faster There.
Speaker 3: I saw this like a little bit after it came out. Don't remember it. I remember not really caring about it, but I was also like, I don't know fucking twelve, but I've always wanted to rewatch it. Was he fucking my mom on the phone with Yes he was, Christopher. I'm very sorry to bring you this information.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I've never seen Creep. I would like to. This one has Oh by the way, I forgot to say. This is the same director that we were just talking about him to go. It's also the same guy that did Triangle.
Speaker 3: Oh oh lot and Umbrella just put that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: Triangle, I yeah, has its moments. I mean, Melissa George is in Triangle, and I've always thought she's an underappreciated.
Speaker 2: Actor, and especially in that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's very, very good. There's some images in Triangle that have stuck with me, even if I don't remember everything about it.
Speaker 2: Speaking of mind fuck movies, triangles up there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's I want to be able to say this without spoiling anything, there's a sequence in which you see a pile of bodies that is very memorable. I will say that.
Speaker 3: Idea that that's a big, like a big horror movie from like the past, like twenty years that I haven't seen, and even that it's not like huge, but it's well known.
Speaker 4: I'm not even sure that got like a huge theatrical release. It seemed like one of those that became like a huge like like word of mouth on DVD thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I feel like it did very well on the Netflix DVD for like three years after it came out.
Speaker 3: I was about to say that is either an early Netflix streaming movie or a Netflix on DVD ass movie, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Also, Liam Hemsworth, isn't it for some reason? I don't remember why.
Speaker 2: Well, because it's an Aussie film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was about to say, like another Aussie film like that, that horror comedy Black Sheep that went triple platinum on Netflix DVD.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you that one is Kiwi not Ossy. Fuck.
Speaker 3: Don't come for me.
Speaker 4: And people are already coming for me because I didn't like Oppenheimer.
Speaker 2: Sorry everyone. So yeah, uh. This one also has a couple of new interviews in this. We've got the audio commentary with the director. I'm pretty soaked on this. They have a visual essay from Jared Gahan that's called Mind the Gap, a History of British locomotive Horror. I want to know all of the details that could possibly be known about that.
Speaker 3: There's more than one all right.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, some old archival Q and a's featurettes making of stuff like that. This to me is one of the most compelling from this month for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely want to rewatch it. It seems like something that's probably on shutter all the time, but I just haven't. Yeah, yeah, I'm being told I sound like Giovanni Rubisi, sir no, and what film? If it's a film from nineteen ninety nine, I'm kicking you out.
Speaker 4: Uh perfect stranger.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I was just like, you gotta lower that down. There's ninety all right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were just talking about Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was like, who is he in that movie? Is he's the little kid?
Speaker 2: Finally from Umbrellas Hounds of Love. This is one that seems like more people have known. This is from twenty sixteen, also coming on Blu ray and this one same thing, forty eight page book, hard box release, art cards, poster, all that same stuff. Two new audio commentaries, one with the director, one with the critic Simon Morado. We've got Hounds of Love and Australian Crime cinema visualizay by Travis Johnson, some interviews and some short films. This looks like a pretty damn good release too.
Speaker 4: This is a brutal movie. I thought it was very powerful and effective, but I know a lot of people were pissed off by it. Has anyone else seen this one?
Speaker 3: It's called a trybeck. I didn't like it. Yeah, and then by the end of it when it ends on a Joy Division song. I was like, you didn't earn that, go back to the drawing board.
Speaker 4: It's good, it's I had a hard time shaking this one off for a little bit, but yeah, it's it was. Yeah, it's uh. It's a hard one to forget, whether you like it or not, and it's a hard movie to like to begin with.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I've not seen this one. I think if I remember, iright, Arrow put this out years ago. Really, I think only in the UK or something. I have not fact checked myself, but I feel like they did.
Speaker 3: Yes they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, God, that had to have been like twenty long twenty nineteen something like that.
Speaker 3: In January twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, how does my same as Charlie. I don't know how my memory works like that. He's got theatrical, I've got physical. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh I can't remember release dates for shit. If somebody's like, when did the in the Line of Duty box that can come out? I was like, in the past, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Some time.
Speaker 4: In high school they were like, what was the date of this trade agreement? That would be like, I don't know, do you know what they I know who killed Me. It came out, Oh yeah, the same day as Thissen's movie in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: Oh that's pretty damn good. All right, Well, we talked about this one momentarily earlier, Blink Twice getting a Blu Ray release from Warner Brothers on November fifth. No word on any bonus feature, so I'm guessing none, which I feel like this probably had some decent ones, considering it was literally just a bunch of friends filming on an island. They had all the time in the world, and we got nothing extra on this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you'd also consider there to be at least something considering in Zoe Kravitz's The.
Speaker 2: Beat your Debut right right it is? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I also didn't know that she and Channing Tatum were together until they were in the criteria.
Speaker 2: Clock I didn't.
Speaker 3: That's exactly the same thing I did. I was just like, Oh, they're cute. That's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a big one. Next up, another big one. I Love Lucy the Complete Series coming on Blu Ray on November fifth, and just so everybody knows for sure, this is going to have the remastered Lucy Desi Comedy Hour and newly colorized and never before released Lucy and the Loving Cup episode. They've got some of the original broadcasts and then some original cast commentaries on this, the original openings and closings, a portion of fifty nine, and CBS's Fall preview special An Eye on CBS featuring Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance. And this is probably going to be horrendous packaging that a lot of people will really want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's CBS, so it's probably gonna be the same topic packaging I have for the Twilight Zone Complete series, where it's just one big old thing, you know. I wonder how much has MSRP been announced for this or anything?
Speaker 2: Not yet?
Speaker 4: No, Okay, the artwork looks like they're one of the Mommy Dearest posters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's what they're going for.
Speaker 3: And the title of the show looks like a watermark, not that it not that it's.
Speaker 4: All Yeah, it does actual does it?
Speaker 2: Does?
Speaker 4: It looks like my email address on some screeners that I've been getting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oversized clam package. I mean, the Twilight it's fine. I don't know. I'm pretty sure I got that on like a Black Friday s So for like thirty dollars. I can't complain too much.
Speaker 2: I mean, it'sah yeah, I would not be surprised if this came out at about one hundred twenty bucks. I'd be pretty spot on there, Chris, I'd agree.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wish I was on last week to talk about that Prisoner fucking crazy shit. How many discs was that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: One hundred and.
Speaker 2: Fifty seventy eight? I think I think I.
Speaker 3: Did the math. It was like if you put even if it's all st if you put that shit on Blu Ray, it would have been like maybe like fifteen or twenty disc I don't understand. I do not understand.
Speaker 2: I love that. Somebody in the chat last week pointed out that when you open the box, they play the sound of the prison door closes.
Speaker 3: Your bank account's gonna sound like every time you check it. After that, much of that like five hundred and sixty like Australian.
Speaker 2: Dollars US it was like four fifty something like that, and seven seven kilograms to ship, so like almost fifteen pounds or over fifteen pounds. I think something like.
Speaker 3: That, Honey, it's me or the Prisoner Complete series box.
Speaker 2: Out, Yeah, had one hundred and seventy five discs, Thanks you, Ray.
Speaker 3: And that's more than the Dark Shadows one too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Dark Shadows way less than that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right. Uh we got a a bunch of these Mod four K releases coming from Warner Brothers on October twenty second. First one up as Vacation from twenty fifth teen. I never saw this, but literally everyone that I know that did thought it was surprisingly decent.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, have they been doing made on demand four k's, Yeah they have, Okay.
Speaker 4: I have weirdly only seen Christmas Vacation out of any vacation movie like including Yeah, Big Big Blind Spot for me.
Speaker 2: Vegas is great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mister Papa Georgia, we love them.
Speaker 2: We'll just text me to say they're lying to you. Vacation is not good. Oh man. The next one is tag. This is from twenty eighteen, and this is a hell of a cast ed Helm's Jake Johnson, Hannibal bress Is, Lea Fisher, I said his last name weird. Hannibal Buris, John Ham, Jeremy Render and then this movie is super fun until the last like eight minutes, and then it gets super fucking weird with the carriage storyline, what what Yes? Superla one movie and then they just go off of a cliff.
Speaker 4: And and in the last eight minutes of a movie. There's a comedy with.
Speaker 3: These people film called Tag.
Speaker 4: There's a miscarriage.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If nobody has seen this, I suggest everybody go watch it, because that last moment sticks with you, and not for the best reasons. It's it's certainly weird and feels very out of place. It takes it from like a high B plus very decent comedy to what the ship like this you just did not know how to end a movie and said, let's throw some emotion at it.
Speaker 4: It sounds like they tried to like like that sounds like fat girl or something like. They're just like they're just like and we're just gonna throw this curve ball at yeah, like, oh I can't two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, I forget about what is going on. Game Night is definitely way better. Game Night rules.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Game Night's hysterical.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anyways, enough about miscarriages. The next one is The Intern from twenty fifteen. I've never seen this, but I've heard I've heard this described as the best film to watch on an airplane ever. Probably.
Speaker 3: It's probably my favorite Nancy Myers movie. But it's fun.
Speaker 4: I've never seen it either.
Speaker 2: I need to.
Speaker 4: I need to catch up with Nancy Myers. I haven't even seen The Holiday.
Speaker 2: I need to.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, you have to take off PTO like for two fucking weeks to watch that ninety minute long movie. Even it's longer than Sott and Tongo and shit, I just agree.
Speaker 2: I really liked The Holiday anyways.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's bad. I just think it's so long. It's so.
Speaker 2: It does have pacing problems, that's for sure. Uh. Brian says he worked on this.
Speaker 3: Did everybody in chat to work on every movie that we're talking about. Sibner also said he worked on Perfect Strangers. I need to pick this person's brain.
Speaker 2: De Sibner and The Wonderment Project are both New York boys. They've both got.
Speaker 3: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: Aaron says this was surprisingly fun. Yeah, Craig says, love to Nero and this is fine, but his character is a little too perfect.
Speaker 3: He's an old man, of course he's perfect.
Speaker 2: Come on now, Uh, this is hilarious. So December sixteenth in the UK, they are giving signs the four K Steel Book. I just hope they go in and spell Shyamalan's last name right.
Speaker 4: Before Oh no.
Speaker 2: Come.
Speaker 4: I was about to say, this is so much better than that piece of shit.
Speaker 3: However, but I didn't even notice that. Wow, why God, what if they put it out and then recall it and then people start selling this on EBA for four hundred dollars? I need to pre order this also?
Speaker 4: Is that just maybe it isn't even like is that just the plant? So there's so the earth is just a crop fields?
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean that sounds it was an original poster for the movie. I mean I was, Yes, I wish it was just the orange one sheet with you know, the actual crop. But I mean it's better than the AI mess that we got. And you think this is bad, Charlie, wait till you see the next one.
Speaker 2: I will point out before we go to the next one. These two are both HMV exclusives, which means they don't ship anywhere unless you're in the UK. So good luck trying to get one of these. It's gonna be rough. But like like Kevin said, here is also releasing the same day, December sixteenth, the four K steal book for the sixth.
Speaker 4: Oh stop it it's so bad.
Speaker 2: This is such a great movie, and this is the Steel Book art.
Speaker 4: That doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: Do you look closer, you can see Jo's face, But.
Speaker 4: What isn't there just one shot of Hailey Joel Osmond grabbing the door knob?
Speaker 3: What would would No, that's what the whole movie was about, Charlie. If this, If this was a DVD back in like the mid two thousands, where they had very oddly specific special edition titles, it would have been like the Doorknob Edition.
Speaker 4: I've been waiting for this one in particular because I mean, what a hot take. This is my favorite Shyamalan movie. But like, I've been waiting for this movie to come out on four K for so long. But god, it does look like a skunk.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, Signs is definitely my favorite. So I want that Steel Book, but I don't want to import it, so a wait and see if the US will take it.
Speaker 2: But what is this?
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 2: All I was gonna say is they could have just put the back on the front and it would have been better. If this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's awesome, that's the poster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 4: I mean it is also crazy that you think about like how this was one of the biggest movies of nineteen ninety nine and of the nineties, and like you look at the original posters, it was just the back of this artwork, and then the other poster was Alee Joel Osmond and Bruce Willis's face face. Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ, why is there no color? Yeah, that's that's a big thing, especially in a film that literally is about color, Like that's half of the joy here, and there's no.
Speaker 3: Some red in there. Goodness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, enough of the bad art. Let's go to this one. Uh. Gravitas Ventures is releasing the Blu Ray BDR release of Between the Beats from this year on October fifteenth. This is talking about San Francisco being the epicenter of the American rave scene, and I believe, use me, it is a documentary.
Speaker 3: Ooh, I have not heard of this, and rave culture in the nineties is entirely my shit. So I am checking this out.
Speaker 2: Next one, Little Boxes is I believe, the third release from Tribeca from their physical media side. This is also a BDR coming on October twenty ninth, and I've heard that this is supposed to be great. This is from twenty sixteen, so them reaching back eight years. That's pretty damn cool that they're putting some festival stuff out like this.
Speaker 3: Melanie Lindsay's in it.
Speaker 2: I'll watch it, I would agree. H Have you seen this one, Charlie? Just feels like one you might have cut.
Speaker 4: I haven't, but yes, as Kevin said, I will pretty much watch anything that Melanie Lensky's And yeah.
Speaker 3: You did not work on several rivs in San Francisco in the nineties. Stop the count, all right, especially you Ryan.
Speaker 2: Come on, Oh that is hilarious. Oh my gosh. All right. Deadpool and Wolverine coming on four K and Blu ray and DVD and probably something else. This is coming on October twenty second, and of course, because it's Disney, they're releasing a Deadpool version of the Steel Book and a Wolverine version of the Steelbooks. You will buy both of them. This is going to have surprisingly large list of special features, but I have a feeling they're going to be very short, so it'll be classic Disney at the end of the day. But if you don't want one of those, they're also doing this special Walmart pop up edition. The catch here this will be Blu ray only, so if you really pop up slipcover and you want four K, you can't have both without buying.
Speaker 3: Both Harley Movie.
Speaker 2: If for some reason those aren't sticking at you enough, there is a standard four K and Blu ray release and DVD release coming.
Speaker 3: Do they have a one click option for this?
Speaker 2: I mean they will eventually. Nova Media definitely will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. I don't understand the one click thing. And then I saw Nova Media releases of Titon and I was just like, kind of need all those actually I have?
Speaker 2: I think I have one single one click left. I had like three and I sold two. I've got the Grindhouse one click. So yeah, three versions of two different movies for what reason? Not sure. Still no pre order in Australia's key rate. Still no pre order here either. To be honest, this has not been up for pre order anywhere yet.
Speaker 4: It's still like dominating the box office in the US. It happening.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's dominated in a good three year weeks. I think Beetlejuice Beetlejuice finally took it. Yeah, but uh yeah, anyways, that's enough on Marvel. Let's go to this one that made me insanely happy. Today, December ninth, Eureka is releasing The Secret of Nim from nineteen eighty two. This is the Don Bluth animation masterpiece. Now, before I gush about how much I love Don Bluth, this is worrisome to me because this says it's a ten adp HD presentation on Blu ray from a studio supplied master and the old Blu ray was hot fucking garbage. I hope that this looks at least a little better. Maybe they did something since then, because it's been a very long time, but this movie is incredible and I wish it had a decent release. I would love a four K release of this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have not seen this, and I want to say fifteen or twenty years, but it's it's stuck with me and I did it was. It's one of those movies that as a kid I loved and was in rotation. But there was a certain point where you get to in this movie where it just becomes horrifying, and it was, and it is the lab flashback as a kid like I still there are certain moments in the first forty minutes of this movie that are a little blurry to me. But when you find out what's been going on, that shit as a kid just fucked me up bad.
Speaker 2: Pretty much every dumb blue film will do that at some point for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who put out the Blu ray previously? Was it just an MGM, just a studio?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I would love to all the special features carried over from them? Or are these all.
Speaker 2: I think there is? Yeah, there's a couple, like there's an archival featurette on Secrets behind the Screen. But that's the big joy here is there's all kinds of new stuff Sam Summers, who's an animation scholar and the author of DreamWorks Animation, Intertextuality and Aesthetics and Shrek and Beyond. There is a new audio commentary coming there archiveal audio commentary with Don Bluth and the producer Gary Goldman. New on camera interview with Don Bluth which is amazing. New on camera appreciation of the Secret and Nim with the animation expert and fan Stacy Abbott. New visual essay by children's media expert Catherine Lester on motherhood and the Secret of Nim, which that's like the whole backbone of the story. Yeah. Collector's booklet featuring new writing on Don Bluth and The Secret and Nim by Peter C. Coon's, author of Staging and a Comeback Broadway, Hollywood and the Disney Renaissance. I mean the fact that this is twenty one to ninety nine on the Eureka website and they don't charge shipping. Why need this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't charge shipping on the Eureka website.
Speaker 2: Eureka website is free worldwide shipping except for like they started charge shipping in Japan. I think that free shipping to the US. And I know you love them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The rabbit hole of Hong Kong movies that I've been going down and hearing that. God damn it?
Speaker 4: Did you grow up this one?
Speaker 2: Kevin?
Speaker 3: I probably I can't remember it. My Don Bluth movie, of course was Titan A. No, I'm kidding, well, it does that?
Speaker 4: The most new metal soundtrack out of all the Don Blue course?
Speaker 2: Of course? What is it?
Speaker 3: Didn't the trailer have like hire my creed?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Come on?
Speaker 3: I think was fIF Goes West? Was that a Don Blue joint that was?
Speaker 2: Okay, Goes West was not an American The first one was Don Bluth.
Speaker 3: Okay American? Telle I have more memories with that. It's still kind of fuzzy, but I remember watching that over this.
Speaker 4: Mean me being the little gay boy that I am. I was obsessed with Anaesthesia, which I'm favorite.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: I loved Anastasia. I know there. I have been afraid to revisit it based on the way that I'm sure the history is a little fucked up. But my god, like the sequences in that movie just blew my mind as a child.
Speaker 3: Like five or six.
Speaker 2: Sorry, he's no, actually, altogether he's got like seven or eight. It's it's more than you think, but it's not that many. I did a Director's Club episode on their podcast last year on him, and it was one of the most enjoyable revisits of everything I've ever had. Adore most of them. He's got like two and a half terrible movies and then titan A has just the most bland voice acting ever. But other than that, Matt Damon is asleep making he's like quick Guard the Door or something like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think one of the terrible movies that you are considering is the first one that I grew up with, which I'm sure isn't good, but I had on VHS and in rotation as a kid is one of those, the Pebble and the Penguin.
Speaker 2: I would put that around the terrible line. Yes, it would at least be close to it. I think the worst by far. There was the Troll in Central Park.
Speaker 4: That I know is supposed to be yeah, notoriously bad. Yeah, I mean, wasn't there like a big troubled production with that one?
Speaker 2: And I think he was supposed to be doing something more with the whole ambleimation at the time, and then something happened and he went to spit out Troll in Central Park quickly. Tumbelino was actually pretty bad on Rewatch too.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a movie I saw as a kid that I don't have any memory of at all. Also, Hi Tyler, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry I was, but also looking up Eureka and uh.
Speaker 2: God, damn it, I'm sorry, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Oh man, We're back. We're back. Was huge for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember, is a big one.
Speaker 4: I also had the Super Nintendo game, yes, kind of like I loved it as a kid, but I remember being like, cool, you get to be the the t Rex placed by John Goodman. Why can I barely move like.
Speaker 3: And quick playing five minutes.
Speaker 4: The oh I can't wait to be a t Rex. I have to stomp on window washers.
Speaker 2: Fun oh man. All right, that is Don Bluth and I don't remember if I said, but I love that Eureka is giving him the respect. And this is going to be in the Masters of Cinema collection. That's a bit deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Next one though, Horrible History for historical epics by Chang Cha. This is coming in both the UK and North America December ninth in the UK, December tenth in North America. And the films that we're getting here Marco Polo, The Pirate Boxer, Rebellion and four writers. Again, I have not seen any of these, but I've heard that they are fantastic. And this is a really great box set. This is a Shaw Brothers studio box so anybody who's super into Shaw Brothers, yet another thing for you to take a look at. This was all Masters supplied by Celestial Pictures. We've got two new commentaries by Frank Jing in this and Michael Worth. Two new commentaries with Mike Leader and Arna Vendema. I almost aid arn A Cinema to a new interview with Hong Kong cinema scholar Wayne Wong on Boxer Rebellion, new visual essay on Chang Chase, historical films by Jonathan Clements, and then of course a booklet in this one.
Speaker 3: I will basically probably buy any least that has commentaries from Frank Chang or Mike Leader and all of them because so informative, especially Frank Chang. I went through all the commentaries. I ripped them and listened to them while I was at work of in the line of duty, and it just it was so much fun.
Speaker 2: So he is great on those. Yeah, yeah, this looks good. I'm eager for this one. Yeah, kind Rayleiota from earlier nineteen ninety two, which was released just this year from Lionsgate getting a Blue Raine DVD of November fifth. This also stars Tyresee and Scott Eastwood.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, put out by Death Row Films, their first film.
Speaker 4: Do you think Scott Eastwood is the substance version of his dad and that's why he's been able to live so long? I say, this is someone who loves Clinton like dad.
Speaker 3: I just need one more day. We're shooting the cover of Vogue.
Speaker 2: All right. Next one is christ film like I feel like nobody went and saw Harold in the Purple crayon from just like fourteen days ago in the theaters, getting a Blu Ray DVD release on October eighth. There are some special features on this, just a few shorties. It looks like, hey, anybody see this one?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I was waiting for yes, and I'm a staunch defender.
Speaker 4: I mean, I loved the book, but Zachary Levi, I don't want to any in my eyes?
Speaker 2: Can we please?
Speaker 3: Can we please go back? I need to read the.
Speaker 2: Quote, Oh absolutely, yes, you got.
Speaker 3: You know, usually movies there's like fantastic zactly leave knocks it out of the park, a world of pure imagination that's barely even anything positive. This movie, it's got imagination, isn't it?
Speaker 2: It's pure?
Speaker 3: Is it great? Didn't say that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? This is this is not Choice California from nineteen forty seven, getting a Blu Ray release from Keno on November nineteenth. Yet another Barbara Stanwick film. We've also got Anthony Quinn in this ray miland this should be pretty decent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, adding that to my list. I love Barbara Stanwick.
Speaker 2: Moving right along via Vision is putting out a couple of four K releases on December fourth out of Australia. First one is To Kill a Mockingbird. This will be an HDR ten presentation of the film on four K, and it looks like from what I can tell, most of this is all archival features. There's a couple of these are not labeled as new, but I don't remember them being all. The other one they may, but their other release is Field of Dreams, coming on four K as well. This is coming in a numbered three D lenticular hard case. Again HDR ten presentation of the film on four K Blu ray will also be included, and I don't think there's anything new on this one either.
Speaker 3: Is Via Vision the company that put out the substitute collection. Yes, did they just do lenticular covers for images that don't need lenticular covers?
Speaker 2: Sort of? Yes, for a lot of their special edition it's their way to get people to buy them. And keep in mind too, Via Vision is the company that owns imprint.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, they're also.
Speaker 2: The one that they're doing the big release of The Prisoner.
Speaker 3: So man, they were like man, the same way that Criterion be like, Okay, we'll put out Breakfast Club so that we can put out little titles. It's just like, we'll give you Phil to Dream so that we can give you seven hundred discs of Prisoner. This is our passion project.
Speaker 2: What's funny is that's not even their first reu of Prisoner. They've already done a bigger DVD release of that in the past, like twelve years ago. I've found it, had it had like four more discs.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness. There's got to be somebody that's like a shareholder. There's just like, all right, guys, we'll give you money. But at the end of twenty twenty four, you know what I need. There's like, god damn it, one hundred and seventy five clenticular covers. I would buy that box set. That's right, just one hundred and seventy five c lenticular covers of a door moving.
Speaker 2: Uh keno Lober also announced today that their Fall sale has started and there are over seven hundred and fifty titles in the sale, free shipping at fifty dollars or above, and yeah, ends on October twenty first, you got a long time to make a decision, almost a full month as usual, I know for a lot of people. This is feels a little early, but keep in mind there's a lot of sales coming up, so it's probably a good idea. If you want Keino to jump on this right now, heads up that screen Factory s October sales starts next week. We've got Criterion twenty four hour flash sale happening probably the second week of October. We've got a Target by two Get one free sale happening the second week of October. It is that time of the year. Monto Micabro sale happens in October. November, of course, is everybody's Black Friday sale. And uh here we are.
Speaker 4: I might have to get the train this during this Kena Larber sale because that's they released the four K of that, right I just I just watched that for the first time this year. Holy shit, what a movie.
Speaker 3: I've already made my cart for Qino. I'm gonna get a Wife of a Spy. We get the Patricia Rosmo movies that they put out that I don't have yet, Slam poison Less Caution c before and Bad Lieutenant on four k's.
Speaker 4: I need to get Bad Lieutenant on four K two and I have less caution Less caution, definitely worth it. Blindly bought that one. Yeah, Highway, incredible performance and you know, Angley, I mean kind of kind of wild that that's the film he made right after broke Back, but also it makes sense but also is like such a big swing at the same time.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, after brokeback he was just like, give him a blank check. I'll give you NC seventeen movie that'll go to three theaters. There's like, whatever you want, sir.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And as Simner is saying thirty new ineger Centro Mosian titles next month, I still haven't come.
Speaker 2: And by next month he means next week literally October. Yeah. Yeah, my my big recommendation for things that don't ever get mentioned enough. This is the first time I think in a year or two that all of the Forbidden Fruit titles, the ones that are in conjunction with something weird, every single one is on sale except for the newest one that literally just came out that makes sense. But there are seventeen out the first sixteen or nine ninety nine or less, I don't remember if the earliest ones are a little bit less, but they're all nine ninety nine is the most you'll pay for any of them, and those are fricking great, Like they are such a crazy, weird snapshot in time. I don't think anybody really needs all of them, probably, but if you want them all, I'm sure you'll love at least something on all of them. If something is enticing to you in any way, go look at one or two of them and just say this, really, you know, like one of them that's got the original Reefer madness on it, Go check that out just as a weird drug scare flick. It's a really interesting piece of history. There are some others that will probably pique your interest. It's a good time to check out those. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also saw that they had the Outer Limit Season one and two on sale, and I was just like, count stop, I need that too.
Speaker 2: I went into it thinking I'm just gonna browse. I definitely don't need anything. But as I'm looking, if there's something i'm considering, put in the cart and just look at the end. And I just accidentally had two hundred and ten dollars in the cart and I'm like, hey, can I do this?
Speaker 4: I right now in my cart I have oh god, it's the Opera Collector's Edition from Severn along with the Out of the Blue four K and.
Speaker 3: I'm oh, yeah, you've been one that you got.
Speaker 4: To I've yeah that in opera where I'm like, uh, you know, obviously one October's coming up. Haven't seen that Argento film in a decade, and then out of the Blue I've been wanting for a very long time, even though I probably it's going to take a lot for me to watch that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get that in the mil and throw it on many.
Speaker 2: At least is amazing, uh, Ronnie. Ronnie is saying the Jewish Soul the ten Classics of You Cinema was on sale, highly recommended. John is pointing out the rare road titles are on sal check those out. Brian shouting out the Girl on the Bridge. He says, love that movie so much, can't recommend it enough. Lots of stuff listed for sure, a couple more to talk about.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, sorry, no, I was just I'm trying to remember it Girl on the Bridge because I oh, Patrisa Kante that's yep, okay, yep.
Speaker 2: They just released that fairly recently. Yeah on the Road with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. They're putting out a box set collection of all. I believe it's one of the seven films. This is coming on November twenty sixth on Blu Ray from Keino. Now, these are nothing new, There's not been anything added to these. It's just bundling everything together. It'll be a little cheaper to buy this, I'm sure, and then next year in a sale this will probably be much much cheaper than that. Even the important thing potentially to point out is that Road de Rio and Road de Bali do not have any subtitles, so only five out of seven have subs and only a couple of commentaries, and yeah, only a couple of small featuretes outside of that. But this will probably be super cheap, Like I said, nice looking. Next up is Janice Contemporaries announced their next two releases from Criterion December tenth Blu Ray release of The Beast. They're also putting us out on DVD as well. This is the bertrand Benilo film. A lot of people saw this this year because it played. I think it opened a couple of festivals last year, but most people saw that this year. As usual. On this Janis Contemporaries a meet the filmmaker's featurette and a trailer and that is it.
Speaker 3: This movie deserves.
Speaker 4: Oh fuck off. So I think this is the best film of the year so far, and Kevin hates it with every fiber of his being.
Speaker 2: I want to say, yikes, I.
Speaker 4: Love this movie. It I left the theater pretty shaken up I got home. I will also say there's a home invasion sequence in this movie. Don't want to say anything more than that, but I was unable to like stop thinking about this movie all the way home, to the point that it like like it like just really rattled me up. And then I got home after this very tense, scary movie, and my back door was open because my roommate forgot to lock our back door after letting our dog out, and I it's been a long time since I've just stood in like after you know, shutting the front door and just been like completely paralyzed by fear just because of that. And my roommate was like, what, like, you know, like, oh sorry, I've forgotten. I was like, it's just because this fucking movie me up. But watching it a second time only solidified just how it's brilliant. I think this movie and deeply scary because I think, especially with the way AI has felt early prescient in the ways it's looming over everything right now. This movie felt like a warning in the best possible way. But I don't think but Kevin didn't like it.
Speaker 2: That's did you watch this for the second time, Kevin Christ?
Speaker 3: Now I would rather watch freaking every bad movie we've ever covered, or rather watched that clockwork orange style than rewatching those.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ, Well, maybe you're more into the second announcement, which is evil does not exist. This is the next or I used to Kahamagucci film coming on December seventeenth on Blue Rain DVD and once again meet the filmmaker new interview with the director, which we already know him because you released his other film in the collection already. It's kind of weird that this is coming to Janis Contemporaries and not just the collection, considering the accolades this has gotten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love this movie too. I'm actually eager to see this one again because, like The Beast, it has a stunner of an ending. The Beast it was like one of those things where I'm and I promise I'm not spoiling anything, but The Beast was, Oh did what just happened? Is what I think just happened? Did that just happen? And then I realized, yes, that in fact did happen, And that's a chilling final note to go out. This one also is a chilling final note to go out on and I didn't fully understand it, but I think that's also part of the point, and it's lingered with me for the past several months. And also just has one sequence that takes place in a town hall that I think lasts like ten minutes and is just a bunch of people just debating the ethics of certain environmental an environmental development that they are proposing on their town. That is like one of the most riveting things I've seen in a movie all year. And it's a much different type of movie than Drive My Car, which I also loved, and even A Real Fortune and Fantasy, which I also loved as well. But yeah, I think this is one of the top five films of the year as well. So wow, yeah, did you see this one yet.
Speaker 3: Kevin, Oh, I happen to you know? It's in my top five this year? Taro fun movie, don't care no, But I watched My Car and was not that big of a fan of it, but I haven't watched any of his other stuff, so I'm not sure what I should watch. That's the second movie from.
Speaker 4: Him, my favorite. It's I mean, it's all of his movies are a little different. I mean they are very much Hamagucci films, but like you can tell that, you know, his fingerprints are all over him in one way or another. But Osaka one and two was the first one I saw, and I went into that completely blind and saw that at like a three point thirty showing on a Friday afternoon and was just like, Okay, I'll just go to this movie by myself. And then, like I think an hour and a half into that movie, I just broke down sobbing and was like, thank god, I'm seeing this movie by myself because this movie is hurting me in the best possible way. But I can't be around people right now, and thank god this theater is empty too, at least for a Matt nashew Is. I feel like I'm turning into a puddle.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that uh, I think that got a release from Grasshopper, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, I do own the Grasshopper release. It's it's a fantastic release.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll watched this since it's it's a stealth thriller, which makes me feel like it's not really a thriller.
Speaker 4: It's more of a drama. There's there's an The third act takes a turn that I don't want to say you can't see it coming, but like you, it's not. It's it's ambiguous as to why characters behave in certain ways. That isn't that will leave you pondering it is. I will say I saw it at an IFF Boston screening and you could tell everybody was locked into Evil does not Exist for the first hour, and you could tell as the credits rolled, you could basically hear people being like, wait, what huh like but in a way that I loved, but you could tell other people were like, ahh, I don't know what to make of those last ten minutes, but I think I liked it up until then. But I found it very provocative, and you know, thought provoking.
Speaker 2: So well, we got one more announcements that was not ambiguous, and most people hated that Alien Romulus getting a four K steel book and a standard four K and Blu ray release. This is coming out December third from twenty Century Studios, and I gotta admit I absolutely hate the art on the steel book.
Speaker 3: That if it's not AI, it looks like AI. So yeah, well accomplished.
Speaker 4: I don't like the artwork, and I didn't like the movie either, So but I feel slightly more confident in saying that without getting too much hate from the chat about this one. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm right there with you, Charlie. But also just on the art tip, it's like every poster they released for this movie is like ten out of ten, and those one of those. You know, Yeah, it does look like a video game cover.
Speaker 2: That's true, it looks like a video game cover. But also the first time I saw it, I went, is this for Stranger Things?
Speaker 4: It does have the exact same color palette as Stranger Things, doesn't it? On on the extras, We've got a lot in here, but again it's not.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's not listening special features. Yeah, it's basically like, look at the Easter eggs that you missed, meet the stars, explore the practical sets.
Speaker 3: Come on, alternate extended scenes, check out scenes that didn't make the final cut. Yeah, I know what that means.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh. And then like I showed, this is the four K slip and then they inverted the colors. This is the Blu Ray slip.
Speaker 4: I honestly don't think the poster. I mean that is the original poster. That's not backlass.
Speaker 3: Yeah it kicks ass.
Speaker 2: I wish that would have been the steel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Why do they make big decisions like like because it's it's like, you have this right here, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ryan asks does Bridon hate physical media? What's up? He is still watching DVDs from two thousand and five. He has about good nine hundred DVDs from back in the day. If there's ever a two pac with movies you forgot about, he is ripping off the packaging of that, and he is getting hyped as shit.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that's Alien Romulus and yeah, this is not Brighton. One of these days, we got to get him on here.
Speaker 4: We do have to get him on here.
Speaker 2: As usual. After that, we always talk about what is coming out next week in case you forgot, and it's a decent week. We've got the Blob four K Steel book coming from Screen Factory, West Wing Complete Series coming out on Blue Paramount Scares Volume two four K as above, so below from Screen Factory, Body and Soul from Keno, Burn Witch Burn, that imaginary four K steel book, the Momento moriy This was delayed, so don't be looking for that next week.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: First Love from Keno as well, The Billy Bevins Silent Comedian is coming out soon and that's it. Wow what I What I did there is tricked a little bit to warn everybody it's about to get insane. I wanted to take a moment to say, look at the release dates that are coming up. October, November and early December are filled with literally like a few hundred massive releases. Not even kidding. It is going to be a huge period for people that buy a lot. It's going to be a very difficult period for people that don't buy too much. Obviously, keep in mind how you're you're buying, how you're you know, not putting yourself in debt. Don't do anything to keep up with other people. It's not anything crazy. A lot of this stuff will be around for a long time. Stuff like Paramount Scares. It feels like it's semi cheap, but it's also got a movie less than last year's version, and that one is still in stock and it has gone on sale many, many times don't fall for fomo, no reason to. We're all here for each other. You'll be able to watch these for years, I promise.
Speaker 3: I mean, just the Scream and Shout Factory stuff that leaked for December and they came out, it was just like, oh, yeah, there's more in December. Don't worry. I'm just like, right, huh, because that Golden Harvest Volume two, if it's anything like volume one, which is probably that in the second sight Blair, which are my most anticipator for the rest of the year, If it's anything like that, I mean, yeah, that's mine.
Speaker 2: I know. In the second version there are some crossover from some previous Eureka releases, which some people aren't gonna love. But they've never had Blu Ray releases in the stage, so that's still a good thing, right. Yeah. I didn't ask anything next week you guys are into or looking to pick up soon?
Speaker 3: I mean, I like as as above, so below, but I got the six dollars Blu Ray and that'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Same. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that movie, though I need to catch up with that one I missed. It's that that movie's ten years old this year.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, at least yeah, maybe even more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kind of yeah, burst my bubble already, but I'm I got Opera in the in my in my checkout page, and I've yet to pull the trigger, but it will probably happen along without the Blue.
Speaker 2: So amazing to two incredible releases. Yeah, all right, So the discussion tonight is Horror from two thousand to two thousand and nine. Why why do we pick this?
Speaker 3: Kevin Well, like I said, I was like, that would be more difficult because I always think that Horrors two thousand is like pretty bad. But then, like I said, I've made my top ten in like five minutes and then have like twenty honorable mentions, So I don't know what I'm talking about. Honestly, if it was nineties who it'd probably be harder because yeah, that that everything, like pre Scream is just like the runoff of like Freddy and Jason sequels kind of, And then after Scream it's just like, oh, so you so you really want movies with teens getting killed? It's like no, no, no, we liked Scream because it's making fun of them, and like, so you want Urban Legend It's like yes and no no. Yeah, So two thousands a lot of a lot of good trends happening, got the torture porn, but on the reverse he got in France, you got new French extremity doing stuff. You got a really good independent wave of poor movies coming on. Found footage is starting to get its getting its foothold in. It might take a little bit more years, kind of by the end of the year, but a lot more andy found footage at the time.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: There was just a lot of cool stuff happening, actually.
Speaker 2: Not not revealing titles after you made your list, Charlie, was there anything that you felt like you discovered a through line through what you were picking.
Speaker 4: That's a very good question. I think some of these picks I tried to so I did try and just go with my gut and go with my heart, because horror is a genre that I felt very connected to, and I think the two thousands were actually when I really started getting into it because I was a real fraidy cat growing up, and then this was when I started seeking out horror films when during their times of release, I would say, I don't know if there's a big through line. I think there's some that are basic picks that I kind of looked at it the end and I went, but you'd be lying if you didn't include some of these, and you know that's just.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I I will say hmmm, because I don't want to spoil anything. I will just say this my number one. I can see people being like, that's not horror, but I dare you to tell me that there aren't some of the scariest sequences of any movie from this decade in that movie, and I even I'm not even I'm not gonna lie. I texted a few people, and I didn't text Kevin because I didn't want to spoil this, spoil what my list is, but I texted, would you consider this horror? And I got a few eh but mostly yes. Is So my number one might be controversial in that it might not be fully a genre pick, but it's it when it comes to it, It's one of my favorite movies, so I just had to include it.
Speaker 2: Did either of you impose any rules on yourself, like only including one from a franchise as or a director or something.
Speaker 4: Yes, I did. I didn't do any overlap with filmmakers. I tried to make it diverse, although I don't know how much I succeeded. I think I overlapped with one subgenre of horror, which I will.
Speaker 2: Get into when I yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think. I also think there's definitely one of these movies that might not have been on my list had I not rewatched it about a month ago. But then when it comes down to it and my history with horror, it's just vital in how I got into the genre. But I also think it's also a film oddly enough that I can see some people being like, that's not horror, but it's considered a scary.
Speaker 2: Movie and he's so.
Speaker 4: And it has been mentioned already. I'll just bring that up. So I kind of go loosey goosey with with this sort of stuff. I mean, I've written for horror sites where you know, I've asked. I've been like, does it have to be pure genre? And they're like, you know, whatever you consider horror applies. I don't know if either of you had any I should throw that question right back at you, Ryan and Kevin. Did either of you have any rules or overlaps.
Speaker 3: Or I didn't want to do horror comedy just so I could kind of trim it out because if I did it, it'd be like Seanna the Dead number one, It's like, oh, okay, whatever. I do have one on here that is comedy horror, but I would say it's like more horror than comedy, and then one on here that's kind of more of a drama but also more of a sci fi. I'm still considered nix in it for that reason. But there's definitely a through line there's it seems to be more later half of the decade. I have four movies from two thousand and eight here, one from seven, and one from six and only well, I guess four from the first five years, six from the last. But there's definitely a through line of a certain type of self genre and a certain type of extremness. I would say.
Speaker 2: I was definitely trying to stick to only one film per franchise. I definitely didn't want to go double up from one franchise. I I honestly was not thinking of directors. I think I may have doubled up on one now that I'm looking at it, and well, I guess that's kuint of my honorable mentions too. My big thing, though, is half my list is from one year.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: That surprised the hell out of me, and I've even got more from that year in my honorable mentions. Did not expect that. What's a but it's I must have really enjoyed that year. So let's get into it. Kevin, why don't you kick us off? What's your number? Ten?
Speaker 3: I thankfully have all of these on physical so I will be showing them off. Let's just set the tone. Just know that I'm not fucking around number ten. August Underground's Mortem.
Speaker 5: No shit, that's right.
Speaker 4: Didn't you buy that when you came to visit me?
Speaker 3: That's right. Try to say this as quickly as possible. Watch this in high school. Watch the entire trilogy in high school disturbed me so much I didn't want to watch horror movies for like months afterwards. When I was visiting Charlie back in March, saw this at the archive and kind of as a way to let's just say, I was in a previous relationship where if I watch something like this, they would, you know what, nevermind, kind of bought this to be like, you know what, fuck you, I'm gonna watch this, I'm not gonna feel judgment, et cetera. Put it on and going through the special features with Fred Vogel and all that. It's I mean, it has the power that I don't think any other movie can. And most directors would say, yeah, I don't need that, so good on you for doing it, but no, I don't need that power. Yeah, it's it's a one of one. Is it an incredible movie? No, it's pretty boring. But also it's kind of it's a document of serial killers and they're fucking boring. And this movie is also one of the positives of it. It is not glamorize them. It doesn't show that they're cool or what they're doing is awesome. Like even Fred Vogel has said, he's like, no, these are losers like that you should feel I'm not bored, but just like overwhelmed because it's just like you need no, I don't want to be in this world. So to have a movie just don't ask to role play with you, Kevin, okay, but just to like have a movie that it's just like not afraid to go there, even if like maybe when you're watching it's just like maybe you should have not gone there, Like it's as it's everything you think it is plus like fifty times more. So that's number ten.
Speaker 2: I should point out too, that we decided on doing ten favorites and not like the best ten, because many of my honorable mentions would have been on the list instead. But yeah, these are ones that probably had a big impact on us, or are ones that we look at as important to us for one reason or another, and that I can see being a decent pick. Yeah, I will, I will go in with my ten. Then we'll let Charlie go. My number ten is from two thousand and eight, the year Kevin mentioned. I think this is easily the most unique zombie movie to come out of the decade. Have to talk about Pontypool. This is an incredible Canadian zombie movie that is one of a kind, and it's done in a way that I guess the conceit has been spoiled so often. I won't feel too bad for saying it. But if you don't want to hear the spoil here, you mute for the next thirty seconds, or if you're listening later, skip forward thirty seconds. But the big spoiler here is that people working at a radio station find out that essentially the virus is being given out auditory through everybody, and eventually the station is overran with zombies at the very end of the movie. It's just a really well told story, and I think it's just based on the rarity and uniqueness of what we get out of this is one of the reasons I love it so much.
Speaker 4: I need to check that one out. It's one of my listen for so so long.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been sort of difficult to see. It's not super available on I don't think it's been on Blu Ray legally in the US. I could be wrong there, but the DVD has been like pretty damn hard to find for quite some time. Yeah, all right, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was just gonna say, yeah, Ponnepool's Fun Time. It's the horror movie version of talk radio YEP or Private Parts, take your.
Speaker 2: Pick YEP Number ten, Charlie.
Speaker 4: So my Number ten is a movie I've only seen once, and it might not be my favorite, but it has had such it had such a huge impact on me, and it is one of the only movies that I think I can only sit through once because it had it just hit It hit close to home to me in ways that I'm not even entirely comfortable sharing. But there's a movie, there's a new French extremity film called In My Skin by Marina Devaugh that is about a woman played by Marina Devon. She directly wrote and starred in the movie. And she has a fiance, she has a successful job in which she just got a promotion, and then she scrapes her leg at a party just by accident, but then she can't stop picking at it, and then not only could she not stop picking at it, but then she starts self harming in other ways. And what I think is so disturbingly brilliant about this movie is it captures depression and a form of self destruction and self harm and mental illness in a way that is not clear, but that's kind of what mental illness and self harm is. And if you look at reviews of this thing from back in the day, a lot of people criticized it for that, but it taps into a sense of being uncomfortable and mentally unwell in a way that I found incredibly powerful and weirdly, as someone who has wrestled with my own lived experience with mental illness and whatnot, very validating. But I also found it it's so upsetting to the point that it actually made me physically ill, So I do not recommend this to anyone who if if self harm is a potential trigger for you, as it is for me, might want to sit this one out. I think it's a brilliant film, and a deeply, deeply upsetting one, and a very important one that I found very It's so difficult to stomach. I couldn't almost. I couldn't make my way. I barely almost. I barely made my way through it the first time, and I don't know if I'd ever be able to again. But I also think that's the testament of a good horror movie. At the same time, even though it's not even like horror in the sense that you're like deeply dreading like anything scary, so much as just like it's effective. It's a effective it's the horror.
Speaker 3: The effective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's and it is disgusting but and gruesome but not. It's not just the effects, it's just the mindset that it puts you in.
Speaker 2: Is so.
Speaker 4: On point that I can't deny the impact it had on me. And I've only seen it once, about eight or nine years ago. It's hard to say that this is a favorite in certain ways, but when it comes to movies that have impacted me the most out of this genre during this time period. I can't deny the power of this movie wield. So yeah, not a not a fun pick, but but but one that is I think, you know, definitely worthy of this list.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, no Blu ray release for that. The US DVD is long outer print. There is a torch in UK DVD that's fairly cheap. I need to need to grab that, even though you know, am I throwing that on anytime soon? Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like it's one of the it's it's one of those movies, you know, those one and done movies that people mentioned. That is a one and done for me. But I think it's kind of a masterpiece in and of itself.
Speaker 2: So it also doesn't get talked about enough at all.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's just so hard to find awesome, all right, keV Okay, this one would be quick and easy. I don't have anything special to say about At number nine, The Strangers fantastic great movie.
Speaker 4: Yep, Kevin, did you go see that? Or Sex in the City the opening weekend?
Speaker 3: I was not based enough at the time to be watching Sex in the City. That would come later in life. Okay, first movie not good. Second movie, Crime against Humanity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, agree with you.
Speaker 2: My number nine is a franchise movie. This one was difficult to choose which one of the franchise to talk about, but I think this is the one that I've watched the most and probably had the biggest impact on literally an entire generation. Gotta discuss Final Destination two. The opening log scene is something that has seared into all of our memories that watched that's when we were young. It has some of the more effective kills out of the entire franchise. It's definitely a little shaky plot line wise, but it's certainly one of the most fun this whole franchise to watch. Obviously, the first one is classic, and it's one that's set up the fairly positive franchise that we got where most of them are fairly high quality except for one or maybe two. But yeah, this one I think is the one that has stuck with me the most. I think that it's one that has really been able to highlight really great practical effects that we have been missing dearly in recent years. I love the way they made this, and yeah love Final Destination to two thousand and three by the way, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I would say the first one is a better movie, but the highs of the second one or like nothing comes close.
Speaker 4: Check off spaghetti that came out of a frying pan. That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: When that kid got flattened by glass kicks like glass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, I'm glad you guys are on board with that one, all right. Yeah number nine, Charlie.
Speaker 4: Number nine. It's been mentioned signs.
Speaker 2: Great Movie Center.
Speaker 4: That's a horror movie, yeah, Kevin's Yeah, man. I I would say this was a big one for me. I think I saw it. Yeah, I saw it on VHS or DVD the year after. But I remember this being my first m night shamal On movie and a movie that I remember being like, that's one I actually want to watch, and it being a wake up call to me that, like, you know, I was always afraid of, Like now I love gory body horror movies. I mean, we were praising the substance like an hour ago, but like, this is a movie that I remember teaching me a lesson as a kid, which is, oh, sometimes it's the stuff you don't see that really freaks you out. Just like, and I rewatched it. Honestly, I can't even really say why I rewatch it, Maybe just because I hadn't seen it in a long time, and I've seen this movie dozens of times as a kid, And even in my darkened apartment the other night when my roommate was not home, I got up to go to the bathroom and was just like genuinely like freaked out by like just just the way this movie deals with you know, shadows in the basement and during that one scene, I mean, the birthday party scene is iconic. The way it uses sounds, I mean, the scene where you just hear them walking around the house and then you know, the dog stops barking and you hear the clicking of their whatever noises they're making. I mean, like, and I also just find it maybe watching it post pandemic. My friend Greg Valante wrote about how he watched this Didn't lock Down and how he found it very you know, hopeful and optimistic, which of course it always I've always seen it as but as an adult, it actually hit me harder in certain ways than it did as a preteen. And yeah, I think it's just, uh, I think, you know, a lot of people you know, beat on this movie for the ending and some of the you know, you know, the ways it deals with you know, mel Gibson's ark in terms of regaining his faith or why did the aliens come to a planet made of water? I don't give a shit. It's just it's I just think it's remarkable filmmaking. And I find it scary and as scary in as moving as I did when I saw it, you know, twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: So I mean, yeah, that as one of the best uses that found footage ever. So in that scene fucked me up as a kid.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's still scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that. And when the alien's hand goes underneath the yeah.
Speaker 4: That shot of Yeah, that scene where mel Gibson's like, no, I'm not doing this, and then he that can't shot holds and he is about to walk away out of the house, and then he just pauses for a good three seconds and then he comes back with the knife, just sticking it in to see if you can get a reflection. And then it's good stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also some of them Knight's best comedy in this movie. Ye, yes, really really great comedic moments.
Speaker 4: I completely forgot about the moment where Rory Culkin's character is really fascinated by the crop circles at one point, and then Walking Phoenix just says, look, it's a bunch of kids who can't get girlfriends, and then they get in touch with other kids who can't get girlfriends, and then they decide to get attention and they create this whole conspiracy. It's bullshit. And then Mel Gibson just goes, yeah, Rory, why don't you put the book down? And it just gets back to Abigail Bres I'm going, why can't they get girlfriends?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love science.
Speaker 3: Great movie, Yeah, good stuff. Okay, what number is this?
Speaker 2: Number?
Speaker 3: Eight? The Host probably the leastish horror movie on my list, definitely more of a drama, but still it's a creature feature. I wish there was a I'm pretty sure there's like a four K Overseas that maybe is not English friendly, but Magnoldia released it, so maybe as a part of the new OCN partnership, maybe we get a nice copy of The Host.
Speaker 4: Was this your first bond June Hoe? Because it was mine? Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah this Netflix DVD ass movie, that's right?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I love this movie, loved it even more after researching how much of it was based on very real life facts of the Korean and US government colluding on some really stupid shit to look people over. Incredible story. Bon June Hoe is a mastermind. Yeah, my number eight is a pick that probably could have been a lot higher on my list because I think this is a masterpiece. But kind of like Charlie mentioned for his number ten, this is just not a movie that I look on as I want to watch this once a year, like many of the other ones on here. So number eight is two thousand and eight Martyrs. I'm sure this is not the last time this is going to be talked about tonight. But this movie is perfection. This movie is traumatic and weird and ghastly and shows some of the darkest parts of humanity. But it is also perfect and beautiful and incredible storytelling and astonishingly acted considering what they're trying to portray, and just something that everybody needs to see at least once, if not three times to really get the gravity of it.
Speaker 4: This is a movie that I don't have nightmares about this movie, and I want to say it's a runner up for me. I always so close to putting it on my list. It's one of the rare movies where I've had nightmares about having to watch the movie again. Like it's not that I'm afraid of anything in the movie coming after me, it's the very fact that it's, like my nightmare just imagines that movie as even being more than it is. I will also say the first time I watched that movie, I was in college and two friends brought it over and I had no idea what it was. We might have smoked some weed, and about forty five minutes into the movie, I thought it was over, and then my friend looked at me and said, we haven't gotten started.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was Yeah, that was me in high school being like I don't have any friends. The one I have, I'll just bring them over and be like, hey, watch this horror movie with me. Yeah, interesting time, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Charlie. Number eight.
Speaker 4: My number eight is I'm wondering if this is the same movie we're referring to Kevin. My number eight is American Psycho.
Speaker 3: Oh should I say if it's on hypothetically speaking, if it's higher on somebody else's list, Yeah, we talk about it now, but.
Speaker 4: Let's let Charlie talk about it now, Okay, I'll make a brief then. I mean, I love this movie. I remember blindly buying this movie for seven ninety nine at Newbury Comics. I came home from the mall. I left my bag on the table, my kitchen table, and went to the bathroom. I heard my dad exclaim oh God, and came out and he was like, have you seen this? Holding it up? And I went no, not yet, and he was like, I have this is messed up. And I just think this movie is it? We covered it on almost Major two years ago, now was it.
Speaker 3: Might be seven years? I don't know, I will.
Speaker 4: It's it's been a little while. I mean, I mean, I think that when it comes to horror and subverting the male gaze, and also especially when it comes to I have not read Breddy's and Elis's novel. I've read less than zero and probably some short stories that he's done. But like, I just think that the way this film examines masculinity and yuppie culture and misogyny is in a darkly, darkly, darkly satirical edge, while also giving you lots of aftermaths of violence that allows you to Fill in the blanks is simultaneously shocking and disturbing and funny, and I think there's a reason this movie has stood the test of time. It's also fascinating to look at the initial reactions of this movie when it played at Sundance and how people were aphalled by it, and Roger Ebert, I think was saying he was one of the few staunch defenders of it during the festival, and now it's I think it cuts deep into a lot of the ways we look at materialism, a lot of the ways we look into, you know, superficial forms of success, you know, I mean there, It's such a rich, sickly funny movie that I think is just it's just one of a kind. I love this movie.
Speaker 3: So yeah, as somebody who has read the book, boy, Yeah, maybe I'll talk about it later. My number seven, probably besides August Underground movie that has messed me up the most. I watched this, I'd say pretty recently, probably about three years ago, and was not prepared for how fucked up this movie is number seven.
Speaker 4: Even Lake, Oh boy, Yeah, that's an honorable mention for me.
Speaker 3: This yeah, fuck, that's part of you.
Speaker 2: That's pretty accurate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, talk about an ending that it's just like, I'll just go walk in the street. That's cool. Man movie does not care. If there's ever been a more fun than kids movie, I haven't seen it.
Speaker 4: It's crazy to me. I will just say I saw the new Speak No Evil remake, which was directed by James Watkins, who did Eden Lake and it is. I remember when I heard that he was gonna direct the remake and I was just like, oh, well, that movie's not gonna play any punches. Not to spoil anything about Speaking Evil, but it differs from the original. Just kind of walked out with a shrug. But Eden Lake, Yeah, you're right, Kevin, that that like it's hard to go to Like I watched that movie late at night, and it was hard to go to sleep after. It's just like, all right, I.
Speaker 3: Just go to as after you after you watch it? What else are you gonna do? You have to just go to sleep, there's nothing like, Okay, what else are we gonna No, nothing is done, nothing is going on. This is the end.
Speaker 4: Throwing a few episodes of SpongeBob from Amazon Prime or something, I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's what I did when I watched the Serbian film for the first time. I was like, I, I it's five PM. I can't just go to sleep, so I guess I'm watching SpongeBob while rocking back and forth. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that what makes that movie so good too, is that it puts you in a complete moral conundrum where they are.
Speaker 3: Just kids, but no, fuck that get them out here.
Speaker 4: It's self defense, but they are Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love the commentary on even like keep Going My My Number seven is the first remake that we are going to talk about tonight, which the two thousands ripe with remakes. Obviously there's many, many, many of them out there. This one may be the most unique that we're going to talk about tonight, probably because this is two thousand and seven's Funny Games and it's a direct of the film. Michael Hannekea is somebody that has made some desolate, dark, depressing movies, and Funny Games is no exception. What's crazy, though, is that he made basically the exact same movie twice, this one for English audiences with Tim Roth and Naomi Watts. Incredibly effective one that still has no Blu Ray release, which is depressing in itself, absolutely deserves it because it's an incredible movie. I saw. This was the very first Hannica film I ever saw. Absolutely loved this thing. Showed it to a bunch of people and they all looked at me like I was insane for showing them this movie. It is something that again doesn't hold back, subverts any of your expectations in a way that will only piss you off if you've never seen it. It takes your experience as a viewer and even throws that on its head. And based on that, I knew that it had to be on my list. It was one of the first movie watching experiences that made me change my perspective of how I approached film and based on had a major impact for me.
Speaker 3: Both are great. I put the remake over the original, like by that much. The best review I ever heard from this movie was my friend at the time. She said, I hated that movie, and that movie hated me.
Speaker 2: Yeah it does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's also fascinating. I know there was some pushback to it because some people when it came out in two thousand and seven were like, well, it's just the same movie. Why did he make the same thing again? After Saw and Hostile and all the torture porn. It really does feel like Michael Hanaka being like, we're none of you listening to me ten years ago, Like it really and I think yeah, And I think it absolutely for that reason alone, and you know, got the attention of a lot of people who never would have sought out the original. I did see the original first, mainly because the remake was coming out and I had Netflix, and yeah, it's it is funny how I should use that word. It's like I I do remember. I think it was an old av Club podcast where it was Scott Tobias and Tasha Robinson, and Tasha Robinson was mentioning I hated this movie because it felt like it was punishing me for wanting sick, disgusting violence, and I don't go to the movies for sick, disgusting violence. So I fast forwarded through it because I didn't feel like being lectured for something I don't even crave. And then Scott Tobias just goes well, I liked it, which I think is a reaction. I feel like it is one of the most divisive movies of this genre because I feel like a lot of people feel like they are getting finger wagged and are like, but horror movies teach us a lot about you know, horror movies are actually moral. Horror movies are you know, life affirming and all this stuff. And I'm like, I think it can be two things at once. I really think that movie can be. But this is what you wanted, and absolutely you know there is some truth to that movie. And I think some people don't like having the fun house mirror pointed back at them, which is exactly what this movie does. So all right, your number seven, Charlie, My number seven. Another movie that has been mentioned already tonight, and I swear I did not know that so many of these movies would be mentioned in the lineup. But it is Bug, which I feel like a lot of people can also say that's not horror either, but psychological horror. I think this movie. It's a movie I honestly didn't love the first time I saw it, and I remember the ending feeling a little bit like a letdown, and then it's one that I've returned to weirdly. Don't ask me why I'm a sick person, but it's a film about when it comes to analyzing horror, just the ways in which someone's loneliness can make them so the ways in which loneliness can consume you to the point that you are willing to believe and buy into this con probably conspiratorial theory that Michael Fannon's character has, I feel like has only gone gotten more relevant over time and very upsetting ways. And I think that another movie that you know, it's an emotionally horrifying film, more so than a I'm afraid of, like you know, potential jump scares or what's coming there are actually bugs. It was more about just watching these people deteriorate because they felt all too real to me. And even though it is based on a stage play by Tracy Let's and it was advertised, as we mentioned earlier in the episode, is something that was completely literal. I think that this movie is so primal and so emotionally charged in ways that are both darkly funny and deeply disturbing all at once. And by the time you get to the end, even though I remember the first time I felt like the ending was a letdown, it really is like, well, there's no other way this thing could have ended that way, And then the impact that you're left with by the end of it, I don't know. I'm realizing some of these movies, like in My Skin You could also be related to this or deal with more psychological breakdowns, which I don't know what that says about me, but I find it. You know, it's it's It's a very underappreciated installment in Freakin's filmography, in my opinion at least. So yeah, kicks ass.
Speaker 3: Uh speaking of kicking ass, but also a movie with an ending that I've only seen this once, but like with another film from this director, like the last shot of it, it made me just be like, uh, wait, hold on, I need to rewatch this movie immediately. Is a Pulse.
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah? Both this and Cure? Like the last shot, I'm just like, no, hold on, hold the funk on, Yeah, I need to rewatch this immediately. I haven't rewatched them, but it's it's totally entirely my shit. Early two thousand's fear of the Internet just depressing and scary as hell. What more do you want?
Speaker 2: I don't know why I like Pulse a lot more than Cure.
Speaker 3: I don't. I've only seen both of them once, and they're for me. They're like, I feel like kind of the same, but both I mean, Kyoshi curis always guy that I can't wait to dive into because almost anything everything I've seen up light and everything that I haven't seen I'm interested in.
Speaker 4: So yeah, looking forward to Cloud, which is premiered to Tiff earlier this year, and Jesus Christ time is incredible. Yes, yeah, I don't know, Maybe I'll it's something more to say later about that one.
Speaker 3: Hey wait a minute.
Speaker 2: My number six then, is probably the most interesting to me on my list because this is the only one that is a discovery from this year. The very first time I watched it was just a couple of months ago, and that is two thousand and Eight's the chaser another oh shit, I love that reaction. So this is interesting because it's it is basically a crime thriller in a serial kill horror movie wrapped with some interesting action, and so it's part horror for sure. But I mean, this movie again holds nothing back, is so well made. It starts fucking immediately the moment the movie starts, and it's just an engrossing story that I I mean, there was like five times I thought the movie was about to be over, and they just keep throwing it at you and I didn't want it to end. It was so damn well made, one of the most compelling plot lines that I've seen in the last couple of years. Absolutely loved it so much so that I've already watched it twice this year, which I don't get to eat that movies very much at all. I adored this movie.
Speaker 3: Didn't that just come out? The blue ray of that could just come out?
Speaker 2: Who put that umbrella? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, oh you got it the last time we were here, That's what I remember. Yeah, I just got I haven't seen that. I've seen the whalane which kicks ass. I just went of that. Yeah, yeah, I just pushed the chaser up to my top of my I watched this. I need to watch that.
Speaker 2: Knowing your taste, you're gonna love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's some brutal stuff in that movie.
Speaker 2: Good, all right, What do we got next?
Speaker 4: This is probably my most basic pick, but look, I gotta go with my gut and it's a remake. It's the Ring. I know they're gonna upgrade this one to four K, but this most recent release is pretty awesome in terms of the steel book that it has. I would never say this is the scariest movie ever made. But I think this is the most scared I have ever been watching a movie, because I remember this movie came out in two thousand and two, so I was and I didn't see it until it came out on VHS, so I was twelve, and I remember it just being a big dare in middle school, like everybody was watching it, and it was the first time I actually I knew it was going to fuck me up, and a part of me dreaded it, but I really wanted to be part of the zeitgeist, even as a pre teen. And I remember my neighbor who lived across the street was able to rent it, and our parents were friends, and I remember it was just like, well, my parents won't say no if you're able to get it. So we watched it then where my parents knew. They kind of looked at me when they were like, we rented this for the kids, and you know, my parents were like, oh, dear God, and I but you know, nostalgia side, I also I lived across the street, and then after it was over, I remember I asked to spend the night, even though I could have walked a mere few feet back to my home. Even though my parents went home, I could not be alone after this when I was but I was twelve anyway, nostalgia side, I think I love this movie. I love it even more I did see it before the Japanese original. I'm not even gonna say the Japanese original isn't better, but I do, you know, I have a real fondness for this. I love that this. What I think this movie has that a lot of the other Jay horror remakes don't is that it had its own American aesthetic, Like you know, it's the blues and greens and turquoise, you know of Seattle and the rainy American Gothic stylizations. And I love that Naomi Watts is a kind of a terrible mother but loves her son, and she's a workaholic, and you're stuck with, you know, someone who is a deeply frustrating character who also is put through the ringer, and it feels like an actual person, which a lot of the other you know, the Grudge, for example, is basically just I like I think it was Roderriebert who was like, it's just a bunch of people sticking their arms, legs, heads, and you know, other body parts and places they heard a scary noise, and this one, even though it is a remake, I feel like is very prescient and predicted the future of the internet where look at where we are now virality has taken over. And the fact that it was on a VHS tape. I don't remember who pointed this out, but it's like it's that it's like analog's Last Revenge, you know, like it's kind of the last bloody scream into the void, right, And and I find it oddly as much as this movie fucked me up, I find it oddly comforting. Also probably something that people will be like, you're insane. I think the Hans Zimber score in this movie is so gorgeous and it might be my favorite thing he's ever done.
Speaker 2: I agreed with the gorgeous part.
Speaker 4: Best thing ever is that I'm not Okay, maybe I'm not saying it's his best I just said favorites, But and I think Naomi Wats is just incredible, just absolutely amazing in this movie.
Speaker 3: You're fired, No, I'm not, Yes, you are no, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of orse, she's eating yogurt and then I'm cooking too good a story in the boss goes what is it? And then she picks up the phone and just like shoes him away.
Speaker 2: I know you didn't want to go out on that limb, but I will say I think this is better than the original for sure.
Speaker 3: I've only seen the original once. I saw it when it was RINGU when they released that Universe will release that DVD back in the day. I haven't seen it since then. But I did get the since there was a tartan Asian extreme, I did get that Ring trilogy that I'll be going through. But yeah, piggybacking off of my Yu Gi oh Ring story, I will say this made my horrible mentions. It probably could have made my top ten. But yeah, watching that HS that I that I slaved away waiting to get at Hastings and being like Mirror maybe a foot away from my TV late night. It's at Sunday night when that closet jump scare happens. I will never forget that. I will never forget that I was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will never either, because I think every other jump scare you can at least see it coming a little bit in this movie, but that just takes place during a sad scene at a funeral where characters are having a quiet moment, there's no score, There's no way you could ever predict that fucking jump cut.
Speaker 3: And now now when as an adult the jump scare that happens before that, I was like, oh shit, I forgot. Adam Brodie's in this.
Speaker 4: I love when he shows up and he says the videotape the one that kills you when you watch it, and somebody's just like, Adam, don't.
Speaker 3: It's true, you know, They're just like, oh, go back to the OC.
Speaker 4: I love how Naomi Watts is also so annoying to so many people in this movie, where they're just like, can you just like we were kind of having a moment here, can you like? Not like She's like that with everybody in this movie.
Speaker 2: She's just so good though.
Speaker 4: It's just so Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's a secretly the prequel to the Book of Henry. Anyways, my number five. I think I watched this for the first time right around the same time I watched Eaton Lake a few years ago. It was a found footage mockumentary that I wanted to see for a long time. More than just being scary, it's deeply sad and it is Lake Mungo. I remember to ear what spurred this is. I was watching something it was like best WHOOPI fucking dudes of best found footage, and it spoiled the jump scare in this, but it intrigued me so much that I watched it, and the jump scares still fun work. It's one of the best jump scares, not the best jump scare, which is coming soon. But yeah, this is just really really great found footage slash mockumentary type movie that Yeah, by the end of it, you're just like, I'm not even scared anymore. I'm just just sad I didn't sign up for that. Yeah, so, Lake Munggo, you haven't seen it. It's pretty great.
Speaker 4: One of the first movies that I remember because Kevin and I met on a game night over Zoom during Lockdown, and I remember that being the first movie that you like recommended that I remember like later on and I felt the exact same way where I was just like, okay, went in for the scares. Now I'm left deeply filled with sorrow.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, this is a good watch, and I think that one is assy as well. Actually, if I remember right, I believe so, Yeah, somewhere down there at least. All right, my number five is probably the the smallest movie I've got left, probably only bigger than Plonnypool on my list so far, actually, And that is another movie from two thousand and eight that I saw late night, and I think this was a Netflix DVD pickup. And this movie really got to me because I've always loved body horror. I especially love bodyhoror that you cannot physically control anything that you are being affected by, and that's why I love Splinter.
Speaker 3: I've not seen this mean either.
Speaker 2: This movie is insanity. This movie starts off with a couple arguing in a car and they literally within the first thirty seconds of the movie, they drive by a sign that says something like nuclear testing facility, just to give you the little setup. And they're driving along and then they see somebody that is hitch hiking, and lo and behold, they pick up this guy and he's not a good person, and he takes them hostage, essentially makes them go to this gas station. But as you are all seeing, and this is in the first three minutes of the movie, you pull up to this gas station and there is this creature. I guess is the right word to use here, and it is essentially a black, spiky goo that you can't really understand what it is. You see that it's able to move, and you see it attacking some other people, and the way that it attacks these people, it makes their bodies do things completely out of the control, where their bones and their body and everything splinters in different directions. That's where the title comes from. And so they are stuck in this gas station with the three of them, and they have nowhere to go because this thing is outside trying to get to them. And it eventually turns into a survival horror ached into a creature feature movie, and it is terrifying and silly and like aggravating with some of the things that happens, and there's just something about it that it is this weird comfort food movie for me that I've seen so many fucking times now because all of it is just you can't, no matter how many times you've seen it, you can't believe that it's actually happening to them the way that it is. And highly recommend it. I feel like hardly anybody has seen this movie. It is incredible. Had a decent blu ray from I think Magnet or somebody like that. Oh, yeah, one that I think most people should pick up. It's pretty great.
Speaker 3: Yeah that sounds hot. I need to watch it.
Speaker 4: Just added it to my watch list on Letterbox Nice.
Speaker 2: Siminars says it sounds like the raft from Creep Show too, honestly a little bit of the same imagery.
Speaker 4: All right, Number five, Charlie, My number five is the best R rated movie I ever snuck into. It is the the sense.
Speaker 3: Oh that's my next one, so let's just let's knock it out.
Speaker 2: Hell that's my number four.
Speaker 6: Is hell yeah, hell yeah, I mean a I just want to say, one of the best reasons that was the best movie I ever snuck into is I remember.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just love the fact that this movie a bunch of female cave you know, it was full lunkers who This movie makes you feel so afraid of the environment before anything bad happens. On top of that, gives you very emotionally charged opening, so you understand these characters' mindsets, you understand the relationships with one another, and then you're just feeling suffocated by the environment. And seeing this movie in a theater in which so many shots are just illuminated by the headlamps that they are wearing. Seeing this in a theater, I had no idea where the screen began or ended. All I saw were just dark, you know, like beams of light. I will also say one of the most my friends, who I'm sure he's still pissed at me about this, but I got two friends to sneak into this movie with me, one of whom knew what it was. The other was just like whatever, I'll I'm up for anything. Just had no idea what we were getting into. So I want to say, fifty minutes into this movie, you get the first silhouette of one of the creatures just opening its jaw and blood dripping from its mouth. And my friend just looked at me and said, what the fuck was that? And I went, this is a horror movie, and he was like, you didn't tell me were He was like whispering, you didn't tell me we were sneaking into horror movie. I'm like, what do you think this was? I don't know, splunkers like and then like as soon as like the gore starts. I think it's also it's such an effective use of violence because the violence is relentless and gory and disgusting, but also a bunch of badass women fighting back. You've got the steaks up until then, you know the emotional steaks, you know the physical stakes, and then you're just left with absolute carnage to the point that it's all elevated and then just is relentless. And that friend called me at two in the morning and was like, I can't sleep.
Speaker 3: I hate you, so recommendation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I love this movie. I mean I still watch this movie with friends who haven't seen it, And that that shot, that jump scare with the night vision, the night vision still makes people yelp or jump like and I think that just stands.
Speaker 3: It's even better is like the sounding for that is like three seconds late, so it hits you like after you've already seen it and you've already jumped, so it's like it choreographs it perfectly. I don't have anything else to add in this movie kicks ass. Thankfully there was never a sequel made.
Speaker 4: Isn't Isn't one of the characters who I gotta go back, No, but like yeah, one of the characters that part of the whole emotional gut punch of the ending is like, oh shit, this one character probably is dead, and then the second one they're like, no, that person's alive.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: The sequel is a sequel to the American ending of it, which ends where she leaves, and it's just jump scared by Juno or whatever, so that I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love this movie too. Obviously here at number four, I think that it's Neil Marshall's best film by leaps and bounds. Ye, Dog Soldiers is also great, but was nowhere near my list or my honorable mentions. But yeah, this is amazing. The human drama that is in this is also fantastic, and I think that's one of the things that makes it such a great movie is that, not only is it an incredible monster movie, it does have the very cliched the humans are the monsters all along story that we get a lot. And yeah, the relationship drama that's in this is very akin to I don't want to spoil anything, and so I'll say a very recent horror movie from a couple of years ago that I just watched with KB actually and surprised to see that they went with such a similar storyline. Considering so now we're all the way back, I believe to Charlie.
Speaker 4: That's fun. So my number four is another movie we've covered on the pod, The Devil's Rejects, which, of course, yeah, I love this demented, twisted, disgusting, arguably a moral little movie. I this is another movie that just blew me away When I was like fourteen fifteen, blindly bought it at Blockbuster, much to my parents' disapproval, but they were like, whatever, we can't stop you at this point, and I, you know, it's it's kind of like our torture porn version of Bonnie and Clyde in a certain way. Like I mean, it's I out of all the torture porn movies to come out, and the ones in which you are you are pummeled with sickening, gratuitous violence. I think this movie, whether or not it was even intentional, has a lot to say about, you know, what it feels like to be in the driver's seat with killers as opposed to the victims, and how the tables get turned at the end, and how your complicity as a viewer and a voyeur also comes into play. I also think that just on a technical level, Rob Zombie Play pays so much homage to grindhouse classics from Time's Gone Past. The classic rock soundtrack is amazing. The performances, as historyonic and over the top as they are, are brilliant in how over the top they are. I I, you know, we've talked about it at length already, Kevin and I. I. You know. I few movies make me feel as sick for loving them and being as entertained by them as this one. But I can't deny that this movie kind of makes me love movies in its own demented, fucked up way.
Speaker 3: So that's one of the best episodes we've ever done because it was a movie movie. Yeah, that was a movie that did not want to watch. Didn't want to do it for the pod did it? Did it because Charlie asked so nicely. Well, rewatched it, didn't like it a few days later, liked it, was liking it a little bit more, a few days later, a little bit more bumped up my radian. Then our our episode Scout Dafoya just talked about it so amazingly that I was just like, Nah, I think I kind of like this actually, so check that out.
Speaker 2: Uh, you stole my thunder a little bit. I did want to throw in before you said that that this is my favorite episode of almost major ever. Hell is the episode that is why I think a lot of us do love podcasting like this, because you could tell someone genuinely, like almost viscerally, hated the film and then just through discussion went well, fuck, I kind of love the movie now, and just hearing Scout Dafoya guide multiple people into that was it's a treat and and it's people like Scout that inspire a lot of us to do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these are the best. Just recently rewatched House of a Thousand just because, which is my favorite Rob Zombie movie, and I was like, eh, they're on Devil's Rejects gain but I didn't. But yeah, my next one we've already talked about, and I don't really have anything much crazier to say is American Psycho great stuff.
Speaker 2: Well that's a nice segue into the one that I'm gonna talk about next, because my number three is House of a Thousand corpses.
Speaker 4: Hell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Love Devil's Rejects. I love this one. I love Halloween two. I I like most of Rob Zombie stuff. He has made one or two that are just not good movies, but House of a Thousand from this decade is the one that I love just unabashedly, and I think the reason is primarily because this is, you know, from the point of view from the victims, but also a deep diving to said, hey, who I adore.
Speaker 3: Have so much fun in it. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: The fact that we get Rain Wilson and Chris Hardwick as our two male leads at the very beginning is such an interesting lead in and such a weird like slice of the mid two thousands there, uh, and yet they're both perfect and the story is compelling and beautiful and gross. And I mean, you know, Charlie already said the word grindhouse, but this is like definitively grindhouse in every single scene everything you can. You can taste the air watching this movie. You can see when they when the shares pull up at the very end of this movie, just the amount of dust that gets thrown up, you just go, fuck like I have stood on a dirt road and felt that gross feeling that they're all feeling right outside right now, and most other movies cannot portray that like that, and Zombie just nailed it. With both of these movies, they're obviously going for two very different things. I just prefer this one slightly, but it's it's an incredible feat masterclass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it because there's so much movie in this movie. Like he's still shaking off the music video director stuff, so he's just like, I'm get split diopter, I'm gonna get split screens, sped up, slow down, I don't give a shit. And that's what I love about it. We watching it. I'm sure I mentioned this in the pod, but the the what is it? The what's the song that plays? I Remember you? The slow down scene so impactful, and then whenever old mad Damon is about to die and it flashes to his character at Christmas with his family for like two seconds. It is so fucking heartbreaking. It's so it's so good. Yes, that's his name, Old Dame and come on.
Speaker 2: Now, all right, number three to you, Charlie.
Speaker 4: It's been mentioned already, but and also Kevin not only mentioned it but also showed it. I have the same copy. It's pulse.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I yeah, there's something about this movie that really I watch it for the first time. I did see the really shitty remake like Opening Night.
Speaker 3: I forgot I did, Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's awful. And I remember that movie being so bad that it put me off seeing the original for a little bit, and then I saw it in like twenty sixteen, and I think, I mean kind of talking about similar themes. I guess this is another through line too, the Ring and this one, you know, was even a year before that and deals with the Internet. I think this movie's very pressy and about how the internet can bring us together, like bright now we're all having a wonderful time together and creating, you know, a nice little community.
Speaker 3: And we're all dead.
Speaker 4: But there is something about this movie in the not just the ways it talks about how the internet can make us, you know, even though it's meant to be a tool that brings us all together, can make us feel just as isolated and having us scream into the void. And just on a technical level, the way that Kyoshikiri Sawa frames bodies and just has certain moments of people just in frames. Just there's moments where it'll just be a ghost just standing there and then they'll just do a little like woo, and you're like, this is technically so simple, and yet it's the most upsetting, disturbing thing and the ways in which this movie doesn't make sense and yet it all makes sense in a visceral way when you're watching it, like in in a ghostly logic, and how it manages to tie feelings of supernatural other worldliness to the Internet, which, especially during two thousand and one, is a tool that we are still learning we don't fully have control over, or or a naive when it comes to the impact it will have on us, and the ways in which it can be weaponized, the ways in which he's able to meld those two the themes with just simple spooky imagery. I think it just makes it incredible. And I also think I mean, I guess to tie it back to In My Skin, just the way it ties the supernatural. I mean In My Skin isn't supernatural, but the ways in which it's able to discuss depression in a way feels very real, even in such a even in such a you know, heightened over the top supernatural, uh perspective. I mean this movie, you know, there are scenes that technically don't make sense, but it doesn't matter. They make sense when you watch them emotionally, and I think that's kind of what horror is all about.
Speaker 3: So yeah, oh man, top two. Both of these are like top five horror movies all time for me. So let's see did we mean? I think we already did kind of mention this movie, but I saw this when it came out, knots was there anything? No? Okay, so oh fuck it, I'll just show this would be a lot of wind up. Number two is clover Field great movie? I was. I was definitely there whenever I wasn't that they are in the theater, but when the teaser dropped with transformers and everybody online was like, what the fuck is this? From July of Oven up until release day, was just fascinated by the release of this movie and everything around it. And I'll never forget seeing the first full shot you see of the monster in close up. It's still fucking terrifying. I this movie uses found footage and POV so brilliantly. You feel so small while watching this movie, and it makes the monster so terrifying. Like big monster movies don't scare me, but this one does because you can feel just how large and how destructive this thing is. And it's not going for laps and the monster's not going for lass also, and it ends on a downer.
Speaker 2: What more do you want?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fucking terrifying. I love it so much.
Speaker 4: You're always through their perspective too, so you're always at their ground level, unless they're in the skyscraper at the beginning, right, Like. I think that's another thing is you know the camera always has to pan up in order to see like, oh, what the fuck? Like? Yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Was great to show scale in this for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My number two is one that has not been mentioned at all tonight, which I'm kind of surprised by. And this is my fifth and final pick from the year of two thousand and eight. Dear God, this is let the right one.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, a runner up for me for sure. Love this one.
Speaker 2: This is a beautifully tragic masterpiece that is, I mean so interesting in a time where we are overwrought with zombie movies constantly. And I've talked about this on the show so many times before, but it seems like we can't have a high point in vampire films and a high point in zombie movies at the same time. There's always cycles between the two. And I'm hoping that we're finally breaking through into vampire movies again with stuff like Abigail and some cooming ones are supposed to be amazing, and zombies are kind of taking a back seat. Finally we're out of the Walking Dead era. Let the Right One in is probably the highest point in vampire movies in this recent zombie wave that we got. And this movie is so just innocently romantic for two kids, kind of kids discovering who they are and trying to discover who they will be. And some of the scenes like the swimming pool scene obviously is a classic for a reason, and the hospital scene and under the bridge scene, like there's so many things about this movie that make you just look back on it and think more and more about what you just got done watching. And yes, there's an awful remake that I don't want to spend much time in. But this movie specifically is something that everybody should see and with the very open mind, because I know a lot of people don't love foreign movies, but this is if you're gonna watch one that's new from not the U West, this is probably a really great place to start.
Speaker 3: I like the remake more. What I don't thought that was I thought that was like, yeah, I thought a lot of people like pretty much dig the remake.
Speaker 4: The remake. I just think the original is.
Speaker 3: I liked the original, but the remake, I don't know that. I just recently a few years ago double build them, and I mean, yeah, I just I mean, obviously my Matt Reeves Cloverfield bias is showing.
Speaker 4: But oh good lord, Jesus Christ and Kimberly Peers also can be a good filmmaker, so that's.
Speaker 2: A lot of time. Yeah, Reaves directed the remake. Well, I didn't mean to say it was awful. It's just it's it can't hold a candle. The original, I don't think I may have seen.
Speaker 3: I don't know which one I saw for I saw Let Me In when it came out. I saw Let the Right Went It sometime around there. I don't know if it was before or after. But the thing that I love about both of the movies is just how it showcases wintertime. That I really love the loneliness of wintertime, Like the scenes where it's them on the playground just by themselves and you feel like there's nobody else, but you also feel like everybody is there but they're all asleep. I really love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I went to I was in the same acting class as one of the kids who played the main bully in the remake. His name is Brettel Juana. It's just I remember watching the remake being like, no, because he occasionally popped up in movies in the two thousand. I think he still does. But he was in that It's unfortunately terrible movie. But The Balls of Fury. He played the young protagonist in that movie. And then so it was like I remember seeing that movie in theaters and was being like that, and then.
Speaker 3: Young Balls of Fury let me in.
Speaker 4: I was just like, oh my god, there he is again.
Speaker 2: Your Fury is a hell of a title.
Speaker 3: Little Balls of Fury, that's him. Some people call him little little mister Woodcock.
Speaker 4: That's right, dear lord. I do agree with you, Ryan, I love I mean, anyone who's ever felt like an outsider. And then you know, there's also a you're.
Speaker 3: A liar sitt.
Speaker 4: There is something that is the way it balances the innocence of young love with the cruelty the children are capable of in the adult world surrounding them is yeah, and yeah. The swimming pool scene is just my god, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just want to in the remake that one was the swimming pool scene was decent there too. Anyways, go ahead, Charlie.
Speaker 4: We've mentioned the filmmaker and I mentioned the release. It's a you know, a movie. I'm sure people will be like ew when I bring it up. But my number two is Trouble every Day.
Speaker 3: I thought i'd be your number one.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, my number one might be controversial and I might piss people off because I'm sure some people will be like, that's not horror. But anyway, I'm going to defend myself in a moment. But Trouble every Day a movie that had such a visceral impact on me the first time I watched it where I was like it was my first Clayer to Knee and at a certain point I was like, what even is this? Because it just upset me so much where I wasn't ready for the ways in which it tackles the interlocking, you know, qualities between sex and violence. The way that Clatter to Knee is obsessed with the human body, in framing it and eroticizing it and then also analyzing how primal and animalistic we are as a species, and how I think there's an umber of ways you could read this movie you could read it as you know, a breakup, that the ways that it impacts us, you could read it even like you know some of her more explicit movies that have to do with colonialism. You could read it in that way, and that how people got sick sick in this movie and the origins of that you could read into how you know it's infected France, There's It's It's a It's a simultaneously very cerebral and dense movie and also a very confounding one, and I don't think people were ready for it during the time of its release. I also find it just to be very a very brutal, heartbreaking movie about just how love makes us like makes us kind of crazy, and uh, sex is kind of a scary, animalistic thing that intertwines with how we are essentially just animals in a weird way. It's a hard movie to describe in just such a short amount of time, But this movie shook, It shakes me up, So I guess yeah. For my two new French extremity films, both women directed films very much about bodies as prisons and also bodies escape and our attempts to escape from that. In Anger at feeling trapped, and also, yeah, I mean, there's so many ways you could read this movie.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 4: It's also a movie that, no matter how many times I've seen it, there's one scene at the end with Vincent Gallo and a maid that is one of the most difficult things I've ever sat through, and it never gets any easier. But I find this movie there's a deep sadness in how the movie analyzes how human beings relate to one another one another or don't, and all the messiness and gore and this area that comes along with that sometimes.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I feel like Clardony as a whole is like criminally overlooked. There's so many people that will respond and say that this has been my watch list forever and just never get to it. Take an opportunity watch one of them in the next couple of weeks. Clear Toenny is incredible.
Speaker 3: A lot of our stuff, just in the most recent years is finally being put on disc and easier to watch, Like pretty much all of her eighties stuff is just like you have to pirate it, which sucks because my favorite one of hers and kind of the only one that I like so far. As us go home and you can't watch that anywhere.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: It's such a bummer. Yeah, that's a great movie.
Speaker 3: My number one. It's the greatest found footage movie not called The Blair Witch Project.
Speaker 2: It is wreck.
Speaker 4: Oh I shouldn't be too surprised.
Speaker 3: I fucking love this movie. How long is this movie? Like four minutes long? It feels like seventy eight minutes and it does not waste a fucking moment. It is all killer and no filler. It fucking rips my favorite zombie movie without a fucking doubt. I need to rewatch the sequel. I haven't seen the sequel. There's plenty of sequels, but the first sequel. I remember liking it back in the day and my friend was just like, so, you're telling me they can see hidden rooms with night vision. I was like, that sounds kind of goofy. Yeah, maybe I need to rewatch that. But yeah, there's nothing deep about it. It just kicks ass and it has maybe the most effective jump scar I've ever seen, and it's one that is so choreographed. It takes like thirty seven You know what's going to happen, but the problem is you don't know when it's gonna happen, and it's that goddamn attic kid, And every single time I've not seen the Room, make please stop asking.
Speaker 4: I did see the remake first, and I really wish I didn't. One of my friends worked at a regal and we just saw everything for free, like it didn't matter how good or bad it was. I need to see this movie again because I haven't seen it in like ten years, but I do remember liking it a lot. And yeah, Kevin's been singing the praises of this one for as long as we've been friends, and I'm realizing my memory of it is not nearly as vivid as I thought it was.
Speaker 2: So Yeah, this was literally number eleven on my list. It is my number one honorable. This movie is amazing. I feel like Kevin and I have a lot of the same taste here this movie. The fact that it's essentially all one very interesting location, uh just spread out over a couple floors is a masterclass in low budget filmmaking. The acting on this is astonishing, especially from our lead protagonist. But the sequels there are three sequels, one and a half of them are not bad. I think it's very odd that one of them is like half found footage half not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've seen that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're all worth watching. And even the remake. I don't mind Quarantine. I think it's decent. It's just when you're literally trying to remake a literally perfect film, it's never gonna hold up to what reclose.
Speaker 3: But they that director, I don't know if it was both of them. That director did Keepsie tapes, which is all my honorable mentions. If that, If that's not, I almost took out American Psycho, pushed my stuff up and put Keep's Tapes on number ten. But I was like, I think nine found footage movies out of ten is plenty. So I can't believe Solon Hill didn't make. I I like Silent Hill. The problem is there's a certain cutoff with that movie that as soon as they entered the church, movie's dumb as shit. But everything before that is like the best video game adaptation ever.
Speaker 4: It's so funny because I feel like that's I like that movie a lot. I feel like that's that it's not really about anything, which is not a criticism by any means, because I think that just in terms of the atmosphere and visual effects and the way it captures. This Nightmare Town is just so stunning. I think it's interesting that, yeah, once it becomes about something, that's where the plot gets a little muddled, but at the and I don't even care. Over time, I've just learned to like embrace it. And but I do think also the last the climax of that movie is just un fucking real, Like it just becomes a Clike Barker movie, like.
Speaker 3: Also, you got Sean be in there, you don't kill them, get them at it, get this out of here crime at this point.
Speaker 4: Another movie I snuck into I will also say that was a movie where it was on two screens, and when a parent bought our ticket, we went to the one end of the theater where it was showing, and they went, can we see your IDs? Just looking at fourteen year old us. We were like, oh, we left our wallet, we'll be right back. And then we went up to the box office and we're like, can we switch to the seven thirty show instead of the seven PM show? And they took a big fat black marker crossed out seven PM wrote seven thirty over Silent Hill to the point that it was illegible, and we went to the other side of the theater and they were like and we were just like, oh, we were running late, and they said we could switch oh yeah, yeah, yeah, go on ahead, and we were like, oh the fuck did that work?
Speaker 3: Love asking like clearly probably two kids that very clearly looked fourteen, be like you got your I d's on you be like, yeah, it lifted in my trunk of my car that I drive.
Speaker 4: And none of them got the walkie talking like hey stop. Those kids like they were just like now that it's like the movie theater usher in the simpsence, like that'll show them like.
Speaker 2: Uh oh yeah. Number one probably no surprise to many people that know me. This is one that my wife and I adore together. We saw literally almost every single one in the theater on opening night together two thousand and four saw. I think this is literally like one of the best thrillers from the decade, hands down. The fact that the very end of this is still like one of the best reveals of the last twenty five years is amazing. If you went to see this in the first two weeks of it being out, nobody knew that that was gonna happen. It took everybody by surprise and this first one. I think if you go back and watch Saw in twenty twenty four, knowing what the franchise turned into, you watch the first one to go, what is this tame movie? Like, there's hardly anything in this it is not.
Speaker 3: It's not a torture porn movie. The second one is when it becomes yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this movie is amazing. It's a detective story. It's filled with puzzles for somebody that is, you know, autistically doing sudoku every chance that you possibly can. I love this movie. And then I love all the torture porn ones for different reasons. I've loved almost all of them. There's one and a half bad ones from the franchise. But I mean, this first movie is tight. It's well, it flows perfectly, it's got really great acting. It's casted in such a unique way, like you never expected Carryell was to be attached to a fucking batsub or toilet or whatever he's attached to in this one. And when that pops up in two thousand and four and you're like, what is this and he puts on that performance, you're kind of taken aback by it. And the and then the rest come and it ruins the way a lot of people feel about these because so many people can't deal with the gore. It's it's not this movie. If you are one of those people, go back and watch Saw one more time. Saw is not a torture porn movie. These Saw sequels are.
Speaker 3: It's it's as bloody as a long order episode.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So uh yeah. I definitely watched this on a camerap on LimeWire when it came out and didn't have the ending spoiled. And I remember I had a bed time at the time because I was like fucking twelve even if even that, And I remember like it started to happen like the last like fifteen ten minutes, and I remember my dad was like, you need to go to back. I was like, you don't understand that I need to stay up. Yeah I can. I can never replicate that. Nothing can replicate that feeling. Saw two is also a fun time. Sawtwo is the most new metal of the whole series Saws amazing.
Speaker 4: Doesn't it Saw too have a mud Vain song and it's end credits.
Speaker 3: I don't remember, but it probably has like nine mudvan songs.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I also remember I stayed I slept over a friend's house whose older brother had a copy of it, and I don't even remember if he was allowed to watch it, but it was one of those we'll go bowling and then we'll come back and then our parents will go to bed, and then we'll stay up and watch sow it. And it was like two in the morning, and then we were like, fuck, we can't go to sleep after this.
Speaker 5: Jesus like amazing, Yeah, Charles, what do we got.
Speaker 4: I feel like people are gonna be mad at me about this because the people are gonna be like, that's not horror.
Speaker 2: But I want to transformers too.
Speaker 4: And it's funny because I also I have the four K of this and it's a very big movie, and of course that's the one I forgot to bring down. My Number one is Mullholland Drive.
Speaker 2: No, No, that's definitely a horror movie.
Speaker 4: Kevin is like, I okay it, I think. I mean, it was my first David Lynch movie. It was anything unlike anything I'd ever seen before. It's arguably my favorite movie still. The reason I consider this a you know, I think so many David Lynch films. I mean, i'd say, sure you could count Inland Empire is more horror. I came out the same decade. I'm not gonna argue with that. Even Lost Highway maybe more horror. But I feel like this movie is about it's it's about it. The first half is what it feels like to go pursue your dreams and fall in love with what you want to do in life, and also discover your yourself in terms of your sexuality and find someone you deeply connect to. And then the second half is just even though that is arguably the reality of the movie, and I do believe that is it's just a nightmare, and it has so many sequences that are some of the scariest things I've ever seen. The Winkie scene. I literally saw that movie at a REP screening. I've been so many times to see this movie in a theater. There was one time I went with a friend and we've watched like messed up horror stuff, and I went with two you know, he was one of two friends I went with. The other friend had not seen this movie, and he asked, can we get an aile see And I was like, why do you need an aisle seat? And He's like, I can't watch the winky scene. I'm like, we've watched like the most fucked up shit together. What are you talking about? He's like, I'm telling you, it's the one thing I can't do. And no matter how many times I've seen the winky scene, I know the jump is coming. The jump doesn't get me anymore. But that whole build up, the ways in which it analyzes heartbreak and the ways that that can consume you, and how it reminds me of you know, just I think that the reason it sticks with me as a horror is, you know, some of the stuff the Winkie scene, Club Cilencio, and that fear of the unknown, the fear of losing someone you love, the way that you will react when you know someone you love doesn't love you doesn't reciprocate that, the loss of self, the complete dream logic of it. I know that it's trending a line here, and it's advertised more as a film noir throwbacks thriller type of thing, but like, I still think that it has some of the most chilling moments in any movie I've ever seen period, even if it isn't a full on genre pick, and it's just it's one of my favorite movies. So I just had to go with my heart and say, I know this is kind of a half pick here, some people wouldn't consider it, but it's it's like my favorite movie. So just gotta just gotta be honest, just gotta say, you know, I think it counts. So you were talking about Naomi Watts, and I mean, I think, how did she not win every award under the sun for one of the best performances ever in which her character goes through every emotion possible and every tonal shift possible and somehow makes.
Speaker 2: It work well? And shut out to her anyways, because I think she's the only one that was in three of the films we talked about.
Speaker 4: Tonight, Yeah, Funny Games, This, The Ring, and The Ring.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing that I just the the fake conversation I had in my head because I'm mentally well, is where I'm just like, oh, mall and draw is not a horror movie. And then somebody goes, then what is it? Then I go, I don't know, so, yeah, that's a horror movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's a it's a hybrid. I mean, like most Lynch films, it's a hybrid. I mean I wouldn't say, you know, like would if anyone called, I know, Blue Velvet does take place in reality more but if someone said that's a horror movie, I'd be like, I'm not going to argue with you, like you're gonna tell me that, Like now you're like, okay, well now we have to deal with no.
Speaker 2: I mean this literally is on the top of many, many, many like top one hundred horror moments lists. This is literally always up there. Uh wow, Tyler says, my number one and number two were not mentioned. What were they? Let us know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tyler, Tyler a little black book.
Speaker 2: Quiet. Yeah. I I feel like this fits fairly squarely in the horror line. I mean, obviously you can call it a thriller, I guess, But I mean, where where do we draw that line? This is a ridiculous conversation.
Speaker 4: The scene where they're investigating where Diane's Sawyer lives and then that discovery is that not horror is the winky Horror is Club Celencio not? I mean that plays a you know, Lynch likes to toy with you and manipulate you in genre elements and then also stuff you've never seen before and doesn't like to be defined or clearly labeled into a box. I think a lot of the time.
Speaker 2: So well, like Sam says, it's about a nightmare, I mean it is.
Speaker 3: His films are so singular that if you give me out of my film school pretension, but they're so singular that you can't really just be like, oh, it's a horror movie. Then it's just like, well, he's doing something way out of just gendre constraints. So it's just like only one of his movies you probably couldn't call a horror movie is like The Straight Story. So no, I would love to hear that argument, but.
Speaker 4: I'll never forget just the first time I saw The Straight Story and a repertory screen and just seeing the words Walt Disney Pictures presents a film by David Lynch.
Speaker 3: Wait, oh no, did they know what they bought? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also I also think that it's the feeling that the final moments of The Holan Drive that I won't spoil, even though if I did spoil it, it wouldn't even reveal anything, but that fade to black and then that sound that lingers over the end credits just makes my blood run cold, like it breaks my heart and I feel emotionally overwhelmed. But it's kind of like if anyone seemed first or formed, where you're just kind of like, oh shit, and then cuts the black and then you're just left with this drone where it's like, I don't know how you're not like shaken by the end of that, you know.
Speaker 3: So I'll take mahon Drive good film. It's not my favorite lunch. Razor Head is, because of course it is. If you saw all of this for going on almost four hours, you know what's a razorhead. But yeah, Mahons Drives incredible.
Speaker 2: It's pretty damn good. Uh, let's go through some honorable mentions. What do you got for us?
Speaker 3: Kevin Sweet already mentioned in My Skin Orphan Kicks, Ass, Vacancy Kicks, Ass, Ginger Snaps, Text, Chance Hall Remake, visitor Q. Yeah, the Keepsie tapes, the Collingwood Story House, the Devil. I'm surprised you didn't mention this, Ryan, because you were talking about it on the the Force five pod for the Underappreciated ninety five to two thousand and five. The Hills Have Eyes Remake very much at the end.
Speaker 2: Of that literally brought it up last week. That's why I didn't. It's on my honorable mentions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the first movie I ever snuck into, and I remember being like, this is gonna be awesome, and then just Frends friends looking at me after I convinced them to go in, just looking at me, looking like with this gaze in their eyes. That's like.
Speaker 3: Already mentioned bug and of course identity, that's right.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I will go through mine very quickly. Like I said, Rereck was my number one on there the myst and not got one mentioned tonight. The Strangers of course. Two thousand and two is may I love that from Lucky McKee. Yeah, two thousand and one thirteen Ghosts is a damn fun movie. It is so fun. I had the Ring remake, I had the Texas Chainsaw and remake. Kevin, you laughed, but I think this solidisfies why we're friends. Identity also on my list. I adore Identity. The Hills Have Ice remake. Batter Royal didn't get a single mention from anybody.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, I have not seen it in so long. I've not seen it in so long. I do have the I forget the US one that had one and two and it's like a four disc, but I need to rewatch it.
Speaker 2: Jennifer's Body, Shan of the Dead, the French extremity that didn't make my list. I love Inside.
Speaker 4: Inside is a wild film there that's on my Honorable Mentions as well. That would be like my number eleven or twelve.
Speaker 2: One that never gets talked about anymore, but the Mothman Prophecies from two thousand and two. I love that movie. And then one that's probably up Kevin Zaley three Extremes from two thousand and four.
Speaker 3: That's a fun time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I need to watch the full version of Dumplings. I need to watch that. Who does who directs? The middle one? One with the piano? I think it's called cut.
Speaker 4: That's part chen wuk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah it is Yeah, fun time.
Speaker 2: All right, Charlie. What was on your Honorable mentions?
Speaker 4: Honorable mentions? Shan of the Dead. We've talked a little bit about that one, the host let the right one in Inland Empire Ginger Snaps. Is that the first time this one's been mentioned?
Speaker 3: It was Honorable Mentions?
Speaker 4: Oh it was in years. Sorry, Kevin Uh Inside Uh. I'm honestly just looking at like my letterbox. Highest rated right now in horror for two thousands. Yeah, you got the you got the Takashi mik A three way, A Visitor Q each, the Killer and Happiness of the categories.
Speaker 3: Those last two I really need to watch. The Killer is like my one of my biggest blind spots.
Speaker 2: Each You've not seen that? Yeah, I got the Blu.
Speaker 3: Ray believe me. I can't wait, especially after watching Visitor Q. Like last month, fucking derangement to kash mik is love him to death.
Speaker 4: It is disgusting. That was a Netflix movie I got, and I decided to watch it on a sick day, to be fair, a sick in quote day where it was just like, I don't feel like being in school right now, so I'm gonna go home and watch this. Felt like karma.
Speaker 2: Uh where was I? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Orphan The Misted lardis Von Treer's Anti Christ? Has anyone mentioned that yet? Saw that on opening night one of the few times grown adults were like, you know, screaming at least ing Martyrs Thirst A Tale of Two Sisters, Devil's Backbone, Wolf Creek, a movie that is so upsetting and so uh evil, But my god does it? Yeah, my God does that movie wield wield a deadly power. Oh shit, I'm sorry, how rude of me. I guess if you want to include this one, you could also throw Gozu into Takashi Mike's.
Speaker 2: Four Way Jesus Christ Watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I didn't want to do a repeat of a director, but Retribution, by which I just caught up with this year, is great. The others with Nicole Kidman insane that that was a huge summer blockbuster. I miss when we just had old school supernatural haunted house movies. Silent Hill. I will give a shout out to Silent Hill, a mayor, which is by.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'm terrible with these these pronunciations of French names, so my apologies. But Helene Catat and Bruno Ferzani, who also did let the Let the Body's Tan and Strange call Everybody's Tears fun euro or Jallo homage worth checking out three extremes.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I'm just gonna give a little throat because this movie doesn't get enough love. But I am a fan of Ghosts of Mars, an underappreciated John Carpenter joint that has ice Cube screaming Come on, New Martian motherfuckers while shooting a bunch of space ghosts with you know, automatic weapons? What more do you want? What?
Speaker 2: What? You know?
Speaker 4: That that's the kind of movie where I you know, I watched it with my roommate and he was just kind of like and I went all Kirsten Johnson in Sex and the City. You have Nobody's fun anymore? Whatever happened the fun? Oh and Drag Me to Hell. I don't know if that one was mentioned yet, nobody.
Speaker 2: Has said it, but yeah, that was well that I was considering too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hell yeah, we did it.
Speaker 2: We did it. And that was a lot, almost four hours thanks to night.
Speaker 4: Holy shit.
Speaker 2: Uh, everybody, keep in mind, like I said earlier, lots of sales coming. Ragnar in the Disconnected discord sent the so longest show. Everybody, this is hilarious.
Speaker 3: Oh that's brilliant.
Speaker 2: There is so much happening in the next few weeks that there is just gonna be a ton to cover. Thanks for hanging out for almost four hours with us tonight. We will see you next Thursday. But the biggest thing, go subscribe to almost Major some of the best in the game. Love what they do. Go back and listen to their episode A House of a Thousand Corpses and all of these scatcha Foy episodes. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you so much for having us on again.
Speaker 2: Of course, and how we got at least two more than we got to do.
Speaker 3: Oh no, oh god.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll see all next Thursday. Have a good week. Thank you for watching The Disconnected. On the way out, make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this me you know.
Speaker 8: Hello, this is Chris Haskell from They Live by Film. For those that don't know us, Adam Zach and I we built a podcast over the last two years that's a combination of film discussion from three very different perspectives, as well as industry interviews with the leaders in Boutique, Blu Ray, and four Kid Community. We started with dev Crocodile, but over time we've been lucky enough to speak with Aero Video, Severn, Monda Macabre, Vinegar Syndrome, Radiant Syndicator, most of the OCN partner labels. It's been a blast. You can find us wherever you podcast and also actually recently as part of Someone's Favorite Production Podcast Network. We hope to see you online.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast Network. Please select the link in the description