Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five sixty four of five Dive It. It's Monday, July twentieth. I'm your host, Kray Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuke and Jeffrey patron Nostro. Good morning, Good afternoon for me, Good morning for you guys. How is the weekend? What do we have for banter? Uh?
Speaker 2: Do we want World covered? Dog?
Speaker 1: Well, let's just world.
Speaker 2: You know where I'm voting, I know, yeah, Well just couple.
Speaker 1: Let's get out of the way. Awful, awful finals. Spain deserved it at our team, the entire game, the entire tournament.
Speaker 2: Argentina diabolical game of football.
Speaker 1: Argentina made that miserable. Ye watch? Uh and and just like shitty in gen I mean, like, I know that's the reputation right that it's I saw I think it was Ben Clements say this is this is a team of one Steph Curry and everyone else is Draymond Green. And that's that's not super wrong. That was tough.
Speaker 2: It was a tough watch People on like social media and stuff be like, well, you know it was. It was tense, right, it was tense, And yeah, I guess, but I was also just like doing other things in the living room while it was if you if.
Speaker 1: You were rooting for Spain, was it ever really tense? Yeah, they didn't get a shot in in the first ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that was like not a game that would get a socker someone into soccer right now.
Speaker 2: The third place game, on the other.
Speaker 1: Hand, yeah, very different.
Speaker 2: Just we're talking about, like, you know, how to fix the All Star Game, just make it like that, to make the baseball of whatever that is. Yeah, it wasn't even like the no defense and no effort stuff like. It was also like combined with just everybody shooting threes basically see at the same time and a lot of them going in. So yeah, that was fun as far as dog goes. You know, I haven't had a puppy in a while. We have an older dog that's not a big sure of things like bones or toys or whatever. But we have some laying around the house and the puppy seems like them, and we got him like more various bones and sticks and toys to chew on. All that dog wants to do is go outside, dig up rocks, carry them into the house and no on them. Rocks, rocks, don't get dogs to rocks. Always pitched the rocks, like you know, you got to give him a high value toy to get the rock. He doesn't seem particularly perturbed. And we take just a collection of rocks on the table by the door now. But because I throw him back out there, he's just gonna go back and get him.
Speaker 3: So I mean, we'll say my cat. You know cats, they you know, cardboard boxes are essentially the same thing, you know.
Speaker 2: The box, but he choos on boxes too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure I've ever heard of a dog. I'm not a We've never had him dog, so I don't This is ignorance more than him, I'm sure, But like I I had not heard of a dog going after rocks specifically.
Speaker 2: It's very funny because the other short face, because he's a pug Yorky mix, so he can't like he's just like try to carry these like fairly large rocks into how they're just like taking up his entire face, Like you're not able to sneak that in, but sorry, it's not gonna not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: It's not good for you to chew on a rock.
Speaker 2: He just put her nose on them. I mean no, we can like break his puppy teeth on them. But that's why I switch him out for the bones or the chew toys or whatever.
Speaker 3: It seems like there would be some enamel damage after a while, Like like bones are hard, but their bones are. The teeth are the hardest bones, so therefore all other bones are weaker. Like the teeth win over the bone box, win over teeth? Did you both?
Speaker 1: We got a new game called Bone Bone Teeth Rock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no wrap around, there's no paper.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, I my deck's not finished, but I'm not near it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Three hours away from my deck. Yeah, I uh playing start a new game this weekend that I will recommend. I won't say that much about it because it's very plot focused, but it's called Slay the Princess. It is a choice based visual novel brand. You know travel You're down the branching trees. Basically, you are set rather forcefully outside of cabin and you were told that you have to go inside and kill the princess that is in the basement of the cabin. And whether you do that or not, or how you decide to go about doing that. There are lots of different endings, and so you're just basically like.
Speaker 1: This is like the Argentina span of video games. You said choice, choice based visuals. Yeah, what is that? My brain shut down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, adventure novel Craig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure we can't. We're not actually invoking the name of that brand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, verys even online audio.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just I'm warning, I'm waving them off. We're not actually invoking.
Speaker 3: Anyway. It's a good game. I recommend it. It's fun.
Speaker 1: I went to uh Philadelphia this weekend. I have to two friends.
Speaker 2: You know, the All Star Game was last weekend.
Speaker 1: I did know that I have one of my friends who has a birthday very it is their birthday today, in fact, a birthday very close to mine. Her husband through her surprise party and several people from out of town came in. We were one of them, but I went up. I had a lovely dinner at Tululu's Garden, phenomenal place, highly recommend And really the reason I'm bringing this up at all is on the way back, well, there was some serendipity. We were at the hotel, had diners, drive ins, and I've so on because there's nothing on a Friday and an episode came on and they were in Philly, and they were at a place called Mom Mom's which does Polish food and specifically Perogi's and specifically a cheese steak parogi because obviously it's yeah question. The place had actually it aired in like August twenty two, so the place had so had they had obviously filmed before the pandemic, but and it had closed in the intervening time, but they had reopened like within a bar slash brewery. So we ended up we did stop on the way back and picked some up. And I have to tell you it, maybe it's cliche as well, but the the cheese steak Perrogi is unreal. We also got like potato and cheese and stuff like that. We picked up a bunch really really good. So that's my recommendation if you're in around Philly. I really liked it. That's what I've got. Let's go to our first segment, I'm in Love with Massachusetts. I'm in love with the radio on Jeffrey explain it to me.
Speaker 2: It's the modern love. It's like Roadrunner by the Modern Lovers. It is one of the seminal songs of the nineteen seventies, Craik.
Speaker 1: I usually know seventies. I'm not. I'm not aware of Okay, I'll have to check it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is it seminal since that like every team has an ace?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure, okay, Wow, anyway, I don't want to you shipping up to Boston on bored with it.
Speaker 1: No, that's fine, that's fine. No, I appreciate, you know, expanding the repertoire. Boston continues to win thirteen in a row.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of games.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of games. It is a lot of games. There are now two games above five hundred. They accomplished thirteen in a row by sweeping.
Speaker 2: The Rays, mopping the Rays.
Speaker 1: Mopping the Rays. Excuse me, I'm feeling better. I'm feeling better about my my previous sleep.
Speaker 2: It's very funny if the only team in the Alas you didn't think past the Rays are going to pass the Rais.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I don't. Did I say specifically the Red Sox?
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think you said the Ras we're going to finish fourth?
Speaker 1: So okay, all right, fair enough. Yeah, I look, I'm not sure I super believe in the Red Sox. Sure, but I mostly don't believe in the race.
Speaker 2: Right, and like actually, like we've talked about you talked about the red talks a couple weeks ago, I think, maybe like a week ago, at the beginning of this wedding.
Speaker 1: Streak or whatever, they had won a bunch in a row.
Speaker 2: And you look at I mean, I know they're still they're starting Patrick Standival, which I don't fully understand, but they do seem to have put together like a good starting rotation at this point.
Speaker 1: Well, at the time, I remember talking about Peyton Totley, Jake Bennett, and Connelly Early who was on the IL, and plus obviously Sunn and Gray's having a very good season. Yeah, and Ranger Suarez had gotten himself back on the walls game since then, Connelly Early, I think at the time was already already on the went on the IL.
Speaker 2: That sally why Patrick Sandoval is here, which is.
Speaker 1: Why Patrick Sandaval is here. But they have I mean, if you get if.
Speaker 2: Patrick Sanderval is like your eighth starter, you're also like not in the worst shape and.
Speaker 3: Sure, which is what he was designed to be.
Speaker 2: Absolutely especially at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this team's just got a free Jake Bennett.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it is if at some point they can get Gray Suarez early totally and Bennett, that's that's a really.
Speaker 2: Strong not even mentioning Garrett Crochet.
Speaker 1: I don't know his health status obviously.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they do, or if they do, they're not telling us so, right, well, and.
Speaker 3: I'm sure is very optimistic about if.
Speaker 1: You get Crochet and you get Crochet back and you put totally in the bullpen as like a multi inning monster.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you can get a Crochet back for the playoffs, right, like you're making them a couple of starts before then and slot into that rotation again. That's when you use you know, you can do Crochet Gray Suarez and used totally or even like you don't really even if you just use Crochet as like a prescribed multi inning guy, right because he hasn't thrown much or whatever, like Andrew Miller, but not like as in saying as he used Andrew Miller in the playoffs, right, right, But that kind of role you do it with totally two obviously. But the thing that's really changed here is they have gotten one additional infielder hitting that is Caleb durban.
Speaker 1: Right, Caleb Durbin is almost back to league average. This is what we talked about. He was I think even further. I think he was at like eighty nine last time. He's now up to ninety six for ops plus. Yeah. Wilson Contrares also just continues. He's it's not like he's living off a first half and doing okay, he's get he's doing better. I think he was in the one fifties last time. He's now at one sixty two ops plus. So down in Rafaela. I saw this, I think on on Zach Kreiser's newsletter, The Bandwagon. But like he's just doing like a poor man's Pete Crow Armstrong essentially more or less, and that's fantastic.
Speaker 2: We'll actually getting on base at a decent clip now too, which is helping Rafaela.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I mean he's it's over three hundred, yeah, yes, it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the three twenties.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. William braw is mashing again starting after the All Star break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said two two home run games. I think I think you're literally against the Rays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I don't know. Boston is if you go by Pakoda, they have a what am I looking at here? Forty one percent chance of making the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's like, I know, you're catching them at their best, right they're at the they've had a third. I don't know if they're at the middle of the end. It's hard to argue. Yes, And I don't think any other team in this AL wild Card race is capable of doing that, right So, And look, they had to do that just to get would you back in the long card spot?
Speaker 1: But would you have thought they were capable of doing it before they did it?
Speaker 2: More so than any of the other teams in the AL Wildcard race? Okay, like more so than the ass the Twins, the Tigers, whoever.
Speaker 3: It is comforting that it's mostly the good players were going on benders, like there is there is a lot of you know, seven hundred slugging Monasteria.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, but that that happens, right, Like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's guys that you would think would I do think it's funny that Jaron Duran is still not He's the only guy in the lineup that's still in it.
Speaker 2: They brought into my Jones and he's hit when they've used him. But yeah, there's a lot of that.
Speaker 1: Might like he I could see him hidden off the monster.
Speaker 2: Oh sure he can do that. Well, that's the thing that's happened with Raphaela too, is he's figured out just how to He has like twenty five doubles, Like he's just figured out how to pull the ball off the monster, which is like all he really needs to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the other part of it. And I'm not saying I think all of this is necessarily super sustainable or whatever. But these guys that they've kind of plugged in, like none of them are going like you said, they're not having like really benders, they're just Connor Wong has a one fifteen opim plus. Yeah that's above above his head, right, but it's not crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a league average. Anthony Siegler is so much better than anything else they've had in the middle endfield this year.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and then Sigler's at one oh nine, and like, okay, that's it again. If you want to say it's over performance, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still lapping good this month either, but yeah.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not carrying the team, right, This isn't. This isn't when Leoti Taveras had a nine hundred ops. Right, there's there's a difference to that.
Speaker 2: Yes, but also how dare you?
Speaker 1: Uh, Masatakiyoshida has been better. I mean he's up to over league average.
Speaker 2: Again, I don't want to do the bit like we're describing a five hundred team, but we're also like, yeah, because the way we kind of are right, like it's an unusual way to get there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean this team now has a better run deferential than the race. Yeah, by thirty runs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of which I think they picked up in this series. Fair.
Speaker 1: I I don't know. I don't know what you want me to say. I can't. I can't say this looks like a great team. But I look at Tampa and I don't feel like I should back off my my previous proclamation. I know we do this. They have three hitters. Yeah, for if you count Ryan Valaide. I don't believe in Ryan valaid.
Speaker 2: He gets a lot, but a lot Okay, Well, yeah.
Speaker 1: Someone's gonna say something.
Speaker 2: The you know, the yank usually didn't take advantage of this either, because they lost to it at three ters. Okay, I'm pretty sure they said. Dam I'm gonna blame the announcer at the Double A Stadium. Uh. But yeah, I look, I think they're going to make the playoffs now, the Red Sox. The Red Sox. Yeah, okay, for a couple of reasons. One, they're currently in the spot and playing well. I was gonna say they're there, They're there, They've gotten there. And two, I think there's just like, you have to be a certain quality of team to roll off a thirteen game win streak period, and you know, you don't have to be an amazing team, but you have to be I think, better than the Twins, Tigers, Orioles, Mariners, Rangers, Astros, and anybody else you want me to name. Maybe the Guardians and a White Sox too. Yeah, I said the Tigers, the twenty twenty six version of the Tigers at least. So yeah. Again, I think they're going to lose at some point. Obviously, they're probably going to a losing streak at some point, but I think their momentum will just kind of take them to eighty five wins and that'll probably be enough. They're also likely to buy at the deadline. Yeah. Now, they don't have the easiest holes to fix, because I don't know where they're getting a shortstop or getting rid of Jaron DuRane.
Speaker 3: At some point they just have to Yeah, shoved around on the bench.
Speaker 1: She's Roman Anthony coming back this year.
Speaker 2: No one knows, Craig. Okay, we go over there every two weeks.
Speaker 3: Some clarity would be appreciated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he continues rehab from hand. Uh three hours ago on Mas Live. Still no timeline on outfielder's return. So no, literally, no one knows.
Speaker 3: Greg, We're not going to resume hitting if they're still discomfort in.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I don't mean as you're saying, like the problem is, like where do you.
Speaker 2: Get a shortstop Francisco indoor?
Speaker 1: Okay, and you.
Speaker 2: Got that that's the one that's available right now. So I discussed this. We obviously we did a long Francisco indoor trade segment on for your kids out there. But like, man, if you unload the Christian Campbell contract and a bad contract swop with for Lindor, do you.
Speaker 1: Those aren't remotely contracts? No?
Speaker 2: But it like I don't know what they value Lindor as right now. Right like how underwater it's five and one seventy left I think, or five to one sixty plus whatever's left this year? Like if you think that contracts fifty sixty million dollars underwater, and you can unload the Campbell contract like it's one of the few get something from the position. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, I don't. I don't think I understand that's like how the math works.
Speaker 2: No, I know, I don't think it would just be like a straight up like other stuff would have to happen for each end of the teams to sell that deal, right, But.
Speaker 1: I mean I think and I don't think New York would take it. To be clear, you'd have to, like you said, they have they take a product, have to figure out Trevor's story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think. Yeah, if the Red Sox are gonna solve Shortstop through this deadline, they're gonna have to take on money, right, They're gonna have to. Lindor is the good obvious one. There are funnier ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh. You know, you look at Ezekiel Tovar and think, well, maybe he deserves to play somewhere else he's he's.
Speaker 2: It also definitely hit balls off the Green Monster. That is a thing he can do.
Speaker 1: But also just do what he's doing in Colorado in Boston, and then you've solved nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, but also your Trevor story is you know there The funniest outcome though, would be Willia Donna's Yeah, okay, all right, I'm listening. I mean the Giants have shown there absolutely willing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Giants did them a solid by taking a bad contract on their hands.
Speaker 1: I actually think that I am listening on that. Yeah, underwater, And also he might just be better there. Yeah, I also actually being a contributor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's like it's a better part. It's a better park to pull balls in the air exactly, like ninety eight miles an hour, right than it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, way way wait.
Speaker 2: Wait way better. Yeah, most are, but especially in Boston. Look you can try to do you know, the Astros have faded a little bit.
Speaker 1: I doesn't say paina is probably is probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's more of like a traditional by trade. And look, they have a deep farm system that they can I think he's got what two years left after this one or maybe it's just one is it's just one year of control, but either way they can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think yes, Pini is a free agent.
Speaker 2: Twenty okay, so it's one and a half years. That's like a fairly straightforward. We give you to top one on one prospects that we have for a year and a half of Jeremy Panya if they want to do that, if either side wants to do that, Boston probably should want to do that. The Astros, I don't know what the Astros.
Speaker 3: Also should probably wants to do that.
Speaker 2: But probably yeah, Like they have a crowded infield too, right, Like, it's not like he's not going to extend there.
Speaker 1: Stop, I mean do that.
Speaker 2: They could They've been playing Korea there when he's been hurt this year and even hurt her, like they might just do that. K is also hurt at the moment. Yes, Pain is healthy, so he's playing shortstop. But when they were both like they were doing some weird stuff when they were both healthy. I don't know if they were both fully healthy at any point in time. Yeah, at the same point in time this season.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, this is this is the thing you run into, you know. I keep saying this, but up and down this deadline is like, Okay, the Reds are out of it and are sellers. You're not getting Eli Dela Cruz.
Speaker 2: No, right, like they've made they're basically signaled their only trade.
Speaker 1: Oils are out of it. You're not getting Bobby Wett, sure, right.
Speaker 2: You might get Garcia. No, I don't think you will, but you might, like theoretical think, so you're not getting zach Netto from the.
Speaker 1: Getting right, this is the problem you're not getting and I don't know you're not getting Jacob Wilson. I don't know if that's helpful, but like you know, the teams that are out of it are almost.
Speaker 2: Specifically signed to long term contracts in a lot of cases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, like so, so then you do get to Ezekieltovar and Francis and I don't think.
Speaker 2: I think, I don't think he's getting traded at the deadline. But like Boston is one of the teams that just capable of making this work and wanting Lindor to play every day.
Speaker 1: They were so yeah, I mean they really would have to solve story, and I don't know how you solve story.
Speaker 2: I mean, you just gotta eat the money at this point, right, he.
Speaker 3: Saw a story by not thinking about him af Again.
Speaker 2: It's only a year and a half, Like you can DFA now, like you've given him I think enough time to be like, buddy, it's not working out. Here's your next year and a half of paychecks.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah. So aside from shortstop, where where are you?
Speaker 2: They could they could use a better catcher. Again, that's the similar problem to shortstop. I think they'll add a reliever to right handed bat. Right you can always use a right handed outfield bat, you know, like Tyrone Taylor or something.
Speaker 1: They haven't. I mean, well, they don't have a lot of outfielders because.
Speaker 2: They're right but they are most of are left handed too, like just as a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 2: He's a good late game defensive. They really need a late game defensive Caddy with Rafaela and brak you but he could fomp him for Duran. But he's raised a better left fielder than Duran is. But you know, stuff like that, and they don't have to do much. It's which is a weird thing to say for a game that team is two hundred two over five hundred. Like they need their pictures. Like the Suarez injury, I don't think it's gonna be super long term. They need their pitching to get healthy. They and Anthony get healthy, which might not happen. And like they just they may just have launched now, right, Like I don't remember what I said in our Ale East preview, but I've always liked this roster and this team I think more relative to the Orioles and the Jays and even the Yankees at times, Yankees especially without Aaron Judge. So I'm not surprised by this. Well, they can do the second basement too, but it's got similar problems to short stuff.
Speaker 3: They've got so many guys who could play second base.
Speaker 2: They do, but you don't really want them, any of them too. I mean they again, they traded for the entire like third base second base room of the Brewers, and they're all like Mona, they're all on the roster right now.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think this is just like an eighty five, eighty seven win team now and that's probably enough. And then you just you know, you take your chances in the playoffs. It's not possibly only sixty in back of the race, like it's not possible you can catch them.
Speaker 1: But that's right, Jeff, Yeah, I'm just saying that's right. That is Yeah, Orioles are only eight games. Uh yeah, No, I don't yeah, I don't know. I do think of the ones that we mentioned, like Mike Calgarcia might be the most interesting option if you really if you think the Royals are desperate together, I don't think they are.
Speaker 2: I don't think they are. And he has it like I think you could still. I think he's a good enough third baseman, and he has played shortstop before. You could just slide him back over. But it's also not a we're playing at second, we're playing a second.
Speaker 1: He can play second too, and you need help there too, So I think that would be such a such a great fit in terms of even just getting average offense and good defense. Or you can move Durban over the second to be clear, like, yeah, you hear the either one.
Speaker 2: You're still fixing shortstop, but you're not, No.
Speaker 1: But you're fixing something else in the meantime, right, And I do think you, like you said, I think you could play Garcia short.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just gonna he's got such a cheap extension, Like they're gonna want a lot.
Speaker 1: Right, that's the thing. Well, but as you said, they have the farm, you'd have.
Speaker 2: To have the farm. Yeah, but do you really want to empty the farm for a cost? Control of MIKEL. Garcia is the other I don't know part of it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you know, it's it's a little NAT's picking up Adam eating yeah right, yeah, where it's like the players good and also.
Speaker 2: Trade right too, But that makes it.
Speaker 1: A lot easier to eat story right, Like it's it's harder to eat story and trade for WILLI or lindor yeah, either one. They're both around once you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, either one versus paying the price and prospects and then you know, eating the story contract while bringing in someone on a cheap deal like that, and you might need to go cheap because I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Boston's yeah budget is, yeah budget.
Speaker 1: Is At this point, I don't remember where I was preseason on Boston. I knew last year. I kept saying this could be the most complete team by the end of the season, and then I think I was probably out heading into the season because I'm out on Breslo. I don't understand. And it's not that it only makes bad moves. I just don't. I don't know what to do with with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't like that. There's so many even more so than I think like the medicine starts, there's more intervening factors in his decision making in Boston, right, Like, I think for the most part, Sterns has just like made the moves he's made and they have it worked out as well. But you can like see the process involved in all of them, whether you're or not. Like with Breslo, it's like, okay, even going back to the beginning, you know, before he had to trade Devers or reason he had to trade Devers is because they kind of mishandled the Bregman stuff, the Bregman endeavors right, kind of a little bit yeah, and you know, and like the one of the things you hear about Preslo specifically, and keep in mind, this is Boston people leaking to the Boston media. So it's it's you know this, it's knives out there at all times.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'm very Machiavellian front office and media environment is that he doesn't he's not a good communicator, right, whether it's with Rafaiel Devers or with other people in the front office or whatever. Now, some of that could be they don't like what he's communicating because that front office has had, you know, has survived through like six different gms at this point, but you know, you make the Devors trade, and like people were upside of the Devas trade. It was the most that was one of the best trades he could have made. Like he got rid of all of that money before it went really bad. And I know he's got a one. I haven't looked at it. They round a one twenty ops plus.
Speaker 1: We didn't, We didn't. I meant to bring it up and we didn't right at the right at the quote unquote halfway mark at the All Star break.
Speaker 2: But like you're so you're still playing a lot, but it was.
Speaker 1: It was one twenty six, which was.
Speaker 2: But that's a lot of money for a one twenty ops plus the age period with a lot still to come for a guy that's faded to a one twenty ops plus the h and like they got some interesting guys back and then obviously flipped Kyle Harrison in a deal that looked really bad and now looks less bad because Durban's heading. And they flipped James Tibbs for Dustin May, which didn't work out at all, and like Tips is fine, Like I know, like Tips.
Speaker 1: Is, yeah, but May was bad and May was.
Speaker 2: Bad and yeah, yeah, and it's just like it's there's not like a clear through line to any of this. It's just he's making moves. It does feel like, look, it feels like, Yeah, that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: But it's like constant over steel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't Yeah, I don't know what their deadline looks like. I think they're gonna buy because they have to buy, and they will buy. They will buy.
Speaker 1: As always, the question is what are you able to buy? At this point, the shelves are empty, so it's it's which doesn't look like he has the ability to get creative like you, like you said, and the creativity might be a lot more on the financial side of things. But I think we're gonna I I keep saying, I think we're gonna get a lot of weird deals. Like feels that the players don't always make sense, but it makes sense on the back end of things.
Speaker 2: And it's there's gonna be like, there's gonna be like, I don't think the Red Sox are gonna do this for obvious reason. There's gonna be like another weird Trevor Rodgers type trade, right, somebody is gonna trade for a picture that doesn't kind of has a little bit of control. It's like a project.
Speaker 1: But oh, I mean that will happen somewhere.
Speaker 2: For a team that's like trying to compete, like the Guardians. Maybe not the Guardians, but like the the Cubs will do it. Maybe. I know they just got Aaron Civilly, but we can't do when they did they acquired Aaron Civilly, Right, that's not that kind of trade. I don't think you're faxing Aaron Civilly at this point.
Speaker 1: But let's let's move on to our second topic because it's kind of more it's related. Yeah, oh baby, baby, it's a wild card. In other wild card news, in the al as I mentioned, Baltimore have won another three games. They're up to seven in a row. You said there, you know, you don't see Baltimore as being capable of doing what what Boston has done, but they're more than half.
Speaker 2: They've been halfway there. I don't think they're.
Speaker 1: Gonna get that. I don't think they're gonna get there either, but they have. They've reeled off seven in a row. They are now two games under five hundred. I mean, this is the game they've generally been playing, is they've been playing footsy with four games under five hundred.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: They like to get three to four games under and then lose a bunch in a row and then win some in a row and whatever. They're now two mm hm a run differential of minus thirteen. So if they've just just about earned it.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: Jackson Holiday's line in Chare July two thirty one, four sixty nine. He has walked in almost thirty percent of his play appearances.
Speaker 1: This is Miguel Vargas with a broken hands from the training.
Speaker 2: It does what if Mark Belhorn had no power?
Speaker 3: I like that The Kobe Mayo has a four h nine ISO in July and Jackson Holiday is a thirty eight. They're right next to each other on the Kobe Mayo.
Speaker 1: Man, I don't know. He hits home runs and they are absolute bombs and then he does not do anything.
Speaker 2: I mean they have four I'll give him credit for Blaze Alexander too. They have five regulars with an OPS plus over one hundred two. I mean, Besida was about to go on the IL, so two of them are going to be yea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, finally with his hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, finally with his hand, so like yeah, like again. Ped Alonzo has been their best hitter. Pet Alonzo has an eight or nine ops plus, which is both fine and also more than you want f ops one which is yes, which is both you know, fine, but also less than you want from both Pee Alonzo, and you're number one hitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kobe Mayo in the last twenty eight days. This is only thirteen games to forty four, three, eleven, five, eighty five.
Speaker 2: Sure he's going ta Oscar mode.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, that's basically I mean, honestly more more slugging.
Speaker 3: Even when I was when I was talking about the Red Sox and having the guys that are good hitting, well, how comforting that is. The Orioles are currently getting the ninety sevens looking out of Tyler O'Neill, which you cannot count on tomorrow.
Speaker 1: No, no, but he does do that.
Speaker 3: He does do that.
Speaker 1: He has also so he does that and then he's bad and hurt.
Speaker 3: We've hit week three, right, and he will stop immediately.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, losing the sios and Alexander's already on the il. Yeah, that's two of your five hitters and you're entering raised territory, right, Like the pitching has been better, Yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Pitching hasn't better.
Speaker 2: Still, the best picture.
Speaker 1: You know, Kyle Bradish has been turning in some like legit Kyle Bradish starts yep, yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you want to sign up for that for five more years, but they do so.
Speaker 1: They is British Unascension, bos got the the the wow. Okay, all right, yep.
Speaker 3: They the Brandon Young of July that's walking to nine is a tenable branding though he was like basically two and a half. If you give him up to three strikeouts per walk, you can that work.
Speaker 2: He's not quite there yet, and nobody, nobody on this team is over two and a half, so right, Yeah, it's a weird thing. They they have gotten pretty good pitching and it's not like Shane boss is a four point one nine. Ra Rodgers is a four point two eighty. Ara has been very good recently. But again, none of these are like out of the realm. Maybe Brandon Young is a little bit, but like not out of the realm of what you would expect. Right, these are guys that are all around league average twenty percent better than league average. It's not crazy, but like they're none of they don't strike anybody.
Speaker 3: Out right, Yeah, this team needs to not walk people. Yeah, you're never gonna get more than a strikeout in a so you have to keep the walks.
Speaker 2: In, right, Like Bradish has their highest strikeout rate, he also has their highest walk rate and highest home run He's giving a home run per nine, which again, that's all Like this is Kyle Bradish we're talking about, right, Like none of this is super unusual. But like they really badly do need a top of the rotation starter of some sort, and I don't think that's going to be available for them at the deadline. Like they need a game one anyway, I guess British for starting when they need like a game, they need a playoffs starter. They need a playoff starter and like not the guy that you're just kind of sticking in in game three or four either, Like I don't know, Like who is Freddy Peralta that guy? Are they? Like I think I don't know if Freddy Perrault is that guy either, certainly not this not this year, but he might be the closest you're able to. I mean, they could do like a Trevor Rodgers thing again and trade for Red Detmers, right, Like John Mazzeliak has said he's going to try to trade reds and yeah, we're trading trade.
Speaker 1: To tell you, Jeffrey, I am still very beholden to read debts as a cub ever since you mentioned, yeah, it is the.
Speaker 2: Perfect we're trading for fancy Kyle Kate Povich, that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, is he going to try and trade Jose Soriano? Riano might give them a little more than even Yeah, not not to I'm not trying to put pots. I think they're sure very comparable pictures kind of, but like.
Speaker 2: Has a little more control and he fits very well in the guy a half years Yeah, are they? I thought I thought that had last For some reason.
Speaker 3: I think the difference is that Soriano has never had the slump that had. Now how much of the Netmark slump was, you know, the fault of NETMS is.
Speaker 2: Open or the fault of the angels. But like, he does fit. He feels fits in real well on that Kyle Bradish range where he strikes out a guy in anning walks a little too many and you're on front.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I do. Maybe that is why I feel.
Speaker 2: I think he's like, look, I think he legitimately can start game two for this team, and you'd be yeah, yeah, okay, right now, I don't like what were they trading for him? It gets a little more complicated, like they don't again, that's a lot of cheap control. They don't really have like that. You know, Nate George has been hurt this year. I don't know how to pronounce his name, but uh to zero who made our.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's on our top fifty.
Speaker 2: He was literally number fifty. Like he's neat, but it's also kind of a weird profile.
Speaker 1: But no, like he's had one of these starting picture. Yeah for people who are looking Joseph jiuah jeruah, I think, yeah, I'm guessing. Yeah, open to correction. Yeah, please let me.
Speaker 2: Know, Like I don't if you can only headline of Soriano trade for you and like all there, like the guys that they would have inventory to trade that are reasonably far away from the majors, they all traded for Shamee bas in the offseason.
Speaker 1: If it's a straight Polish pronunciation, it might be Jerva essentially. Yeah, I don't know, Yeah, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: If he jack you can trade recently drafted guys right, so that maybe there's I don't know, but also I don't know what what John Mozela is at this point.
Speaker 2: I mean, they need everything so well.
Speaker 1: Right, but I get I guess I even mean in like RO five, like could you sell him on some of the guys that like if he's I don't know, I'm not trying to be mean, but like if he's three years behind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's.
Speaker 1: Why they replaced him.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not even that they need a lot like maybe he goes for quantity over quality. Here is because their system is so barren and it's such a you know, you give the next guy three or four bites at the apple right.
Speaker 1: Right, that would not be great for the fans of the Angels to be.
Speaker 2: No, but you can get like do you get like Trey Gibson, I guess who's like pretty much Julie Ready, Like there's right, who's right there? Yeah, there's the other guys. Like this is like we've done the mid season fifty. They didn't have a lot of guys on the mid season fifty. You're now asking me, like, who are the other Orioles prospects for a list? I did like, well, no, I'm not trying to Oh, I like, I'm pulling it up so I can remind myself. You know, you could trade you could probably trade Dylan Deavers. Like, I don't off the major league roster too. Like again, I don't know exactly what they want. M that's like how they're going to you know, what they want in terms of guys coming back, in terms of timeline, in terms of quantity versus quality, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean like Luis de Leon has been pretty bad. Yeah, missing a lot of bats, but it's been pretty bad.
Speaker 2: I think Nesta Herman has been fine. I've been checked he was and I'm super recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is not a particularly good system at this point.
Speaker 1: I still I feel like people I do not with everyone hurt. Yeah, okay, but if if Samuel Basaillo is healthy, I think I still probably prefer the Orioles to the to the race. I really do.
Speaker 2: It's Craig. There are like sixty five games left in the season. They are eight behind.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm not saying an eight game deaf. I'm saying roster rosters straight up from this point forward. Okay, the Orioles have absolutely been worse. The race have absolutely been better.
Speaker 2: Like the other thing is, I think if you combine the rosters, the race have the two best pitchers and the two best position players.
Speaker 1: Well certainly Kim and Her. I mean like.
Speaker 2: Randa too, I think is better than anybody on them.
Speaker 1: I think I said, I don't know if I said this on our pod or or effectively wild last week, like I'm not gonna understand Jonathan Roda. I just think it's not but it does. I don't something doesn't compute. That's okay, but yeah, sure fine. I also like I understand Gunner Henderson. I don't understand what's happened Gunner.
Speaker 2: Henderson, but I kind of just I think for the balance of the season, you might just have to accept this is what he is. Right.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess so, but I'm kind of just if he is getting I will also know that before we depart the Orioles Rico Garcia has been a revelation in the in the Bullpen, and Mario Delgado wins Or wrote about him, and so I think you should say it was a good article. I advise everyone to give it a read. That went up on Friday last week, so you might you might have to go back in his archive.
Speaker 2: And before we depart from Rais, I just want to update everyone on conversation from many months ago. Nick Martinez still under a three R.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't like. This is the this is the thing. Yeah, I don't like. I just I don't buy it.
Speaker 2: Yep, sixty two strikeouts and one hundred and five innings creg Yeah, that's the part that the eighties back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, you spin me right around. You're not wrong about You're not wrong about the I.
Speaker 2: Think the Rais. Look, I get I've said this all along. I don't think the Rays are a great team, but I think the Rays are might just be the best human spasion.
Speaker 1: They might. They might. I guess I will just continue to struggle with it all. But you're right. I mean, Rasmuson and McClanahan are better than, yep, anything the Orioles have on staff.
Speaker 2: Imagine the Orioles having a picture with a five and three quarters strikeout to walk ratio.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere in the wild Card we'll go to the National League. Yeah, the Pittsburgh Pirates, Jeffers. Yeah, four games over five hundred.
Speaker 2: Sometimes frisky comes to you in a.
Speaker 1: Three way tie for the third wild card in the National League alongside the Cardinals, and the Marlins have the best run differential of the three teams. They are seven and three in their last ten. The others are four and six. The Marlins have lost six in a row.
Speaker 2: Yes, they were ten over they are now four over. That's how that that's how that mass that happens.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 2: Look, they played well against the Guardians, obviously, I just don't believe it.
Speaker 3: They've got fun Jared Jones back now the early early twenty twenty five Jared Jones, you know, striking out thirteen for nine. How long it's gonna last? It didn't last last time. But the pitching has been good. The pitching is like all the strikeouts that the Ools don't get. Uh. Well, I think I think the thing about the Pirates that that is underrated is that the just stop playing. Marcelo's in But I think he started like four games this month. Uh, and they're better because he's not hitting. Yeah, it's easy to make a team better if you want to.
Speaker 2: Two of their three best hitters are also on the IL with on Neil Creiz and Sfencer Horwitz.
Speaker 1: Right, Spencer Horwitz just always yeah better.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's having a legitimately good season. Usually it's like, hey, Spencer Horace is one of their best hitters. He has a one to twelve ops plus, but he's like it's thirty.
Speaker 1: It's very limited. I meant to three hundred appear he's played more. Yeah, yeah, this is you know, we'll see what Jacob Gonzales does for them. He finally got a hit for them down a home run. Yeah. A lot of this recent stretch has been as Merlin Valdez. Yeah, we're thirty one, thirty one games in. Now he's at three oh five three seventy seven, seven thirty three.
Speaker 2: Yes, well home runs in thirty one game. Look, he can do.
Speaker 1: This is this aristutis acutit.
Speaker 2: I was going to say this is probably aristetis.
Speaker 3: Walking a little more.
Speaker 2: He's walking a little more.
Speaker 1: Like it's a look, it's a fair amount. I mean, yeah, three oh five, batting average, three seventy three. Oh, that's just fine.
Speaker 3: It is not just everything.
Speaker 1: That's actually a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's also whiffing at a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, he's got forty four strikeouts in one hundred eighteen Polint appearances.
Speaker 2: Look, he can like it is very difficult for any player to do have this kind of damage on contact plus swing and miss combination over an extended period of time. I belts might be one of the guys that can do it. I'm not saying he's going to, but I believe this a little more than AIRTDI is a keino.
Speaker 1: Yeah well, and also Aristeta is a kino. Like we're even talking thirty one games at this point, like.
Speaker 2: His yeah games, right, Like it's one o eight ninety a TV with a fifteen percent pulled fly ball, right, yeah, you don't have to make a lot of contact doing that. And to be clear, it's sixty six in zone and a forty six whiff against secondaries and a forty one whiff against anything over ninety five.
Speaker 1: What's his chase?
Speaker 2: His chase is twenty seven, so he doesn't chase it.
Speaker 1: So that's not that bad.
Speaker 2: It's not that bad. But like this might just this might be Matt Wallner instead of Aristidi is keino, like where he can just he can do it for longer periods of time, but also.
Speaker 1: Be the worst hitter in the league for a few weeks, right yeah, yeah, I mean again, you can't really knock the lineup at this point, it's very deep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when Nick Nsol is a hitting, Yeah, you know they're waiting for Cruise to get back. They're waiting, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean they've been like a if they have a one ten ops plus as a team, which I think if you saw the Pirates as you know, wild wild card contenders, a four game over a five hundred team, you would have thought it would be like the pitching, the pitching, right, and their pitching has been a it's it's you have affected a one Jones. You would expected a one ten e er a plus and a one oh three ops plus instead of vice versa.
Speaker 1: Right. I think the surprising part to me is that like Chandler still hasn't figured it out. I would have thought if they were going to be in the wildcard spot, Chandler would have figured it out him. Right. The other part of this is like, arguably they should be many games clear of this because their bullpen has been absolutely disastrous.
Speaker 2: You know the what's this that the Jack chick tracked meme where it's like the people didn't listen to him or whatever, the people were not ready to accept his word. That's like camera like they were not ready to accept that. Cameron Machinsky was correct about Cameron Machinsky Carmon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, but they also probably need him in the bullpen.
Speaker 2: Yeah maybe, yes. I mean they are starting Mitch Keller and his five r every five days, and you can you can trade for a relief. Now, that is the thing they mean they did already.
Speaker 1: And that's that's where I was going with this was and I know I've said this before that like this has really come to them, like you said, the playoff spot, but like the trade deadline has gone, they need they kind of just need to do the Tigers moved from last.
Speaker 3: Year, Yeah, and just really got like six skies yea, a supermarket sweep. Those relievers just start piling into the cart.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you can even be to get the big inflatable a J Minter in the aisle.
Speaker 1: No, but look, you can even be cheap about it, right, Yeah, Like just get six guys and hope three of them are better than what you have. You don't even have to be good better than what you have financially improve your playoff odds. They could really use like a legit closer, sure, because right now it's either Greg Risoto or Joan Ramirez.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, that's bad, that's not great. Rames has been okay, But also you don't want them closing games for you.
Speaker 1: You might just need to start doing like Mozinski as like the inning plus closer and writing the other nights, but like win the games you can.
Speaker 2: Win, right, Like it's also Valgiska has been fine. Do you really want a guy closing with like seven strikeouts for nine and like, no, well, I.
Speaker 1: Know you don't have another option. I mean, Evan sisk Is hurt, Evan six sisk Is.
Speaker 2: It's time to trade Murph Gray for Luke Weaver and let him close, right?
Speaker 1: Is training a top fifty for Well? Did they get two years out of the Weaver?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's another year, okay, all right?
Speaker 1: Or not top fifty? He was on the he was on the just miss.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, maybe they don't reven like I'm trying to think. Guys they have like Weaver is a great fit for them. Yes, actually you get it. They're not gonna want to. I don't want to trade a ton for a straight rental. But he can close. He's closed before you know. He's got the extra year. It's fairly cheap it's like eleven million. I think like that twelve million, which is a lot for the Pirates, but you know, they could probably even get the best to retain some money for a better prospect. Here.
Speaker 1: They just spent seven and a half million on Gregory Soto.
Speaker 2: Sure, I think they probably intended to flip Gregory Soto though, if he was good and they were out of it.
Speaker 1: So yeah. Also in the National League there's the Diamondbacks are a half game out.
Speaker 2: Yeah here they are. They have hardly done anything and a half yeah.
Speaker 1: Between them at two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I put the Potter's. The Potters are more looky to buy in the Nationals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the Potterys are just gonna buy because like aj Peller, it's like he just wakes up one day in July and like up, it's time now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well they're poculated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thing right. I don't know what they're gonna do. They good, like they're one of the other teams always think of trade for the bad contracts to send back for Francisco Indor. But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If you go, if you go on Baseball Reference, uh huh, goes Eduardo Rodriguez with the two six two e r A Yeah, and a and a four oh nine FIP which is honestly fine, like obviously severe overperformance, but it is.
Speaker 2: But he's a guy that is more contact suppression then.
Speaker 1: Right, it's he's not missing enough. That's but Merril Kelly with a five point two e r A. Yes, Zach Gallon, Ryan Nelson, Michael Soroka.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was good.
Speaker 1: The other two were not. Yeah, Brandon Fott is in the fat zone.
Speaker 2: He's gotten he has gotten back to the fot zund which is four.
Speaker 1: Five eight e r uh with with a bunch of relief appearances mixed.
Speaker 2: I mit like, but he has not been good.
Speaker 1: What what is this team's rotation?
Speaker 2: I mean you just named all the pictures, Craig he told us. Yeah, j is he's the fourth starter and they do not have a fifth, right, I mean, I'm sure they're going to call someone up.
Speaker 1: But they've already called up Mitch Bratt.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think Gilbert Diaz is hurt nower.
Speaker 3: Uh. Is he on the team anymore? I thought they know he's on the Tigers, now, is he?
Speaker 1: Mitch Bratt has two starts and six innings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's the one time to the order guy, and.
Speaker 2: I mean he was the only guy that was pitching well in Reno. And granted it's Reno, but like you know, you been lenn and Cole Drake who they traded for and it was a notable prospect, and you been Land who's made up top one on one both have six c r as, And yeah it's Reno, it's the p c L. But like, I don't know where you're going from here. I gotta tell you very very very old friend Thomas hatch Craig. Yeah, wow, yeah, wow, Yeah, he's thirty one.
Speaker 1: He has a Jeffery do you You don't have their their baseball reference page open to you.
Speaker 2: I have the Reno aces based on open I can go back if you want.
Speaker 1: Do not look at the Diamondbacks. Okay, okay, I want to play a little game.
Speaker 2: Sure, we love games.
Speaker 1: They they have well, they might have more. They have six relievers, yeah, with e ras under three, okay in any minimum twenty four innings. Sure, okay, I want you to hazard some guesses at the strikeouts per nine of these of these individuals. I'm going to give you the name, and I will give you the e R Yep. Taylor Clark two point four or five e R forty four innings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got like he's got something like I looked at Clark a while back. I assume it is not really changed. I'm gonna say, like thirty six walks and thirty six strikeouts in twenty eight walks. So I that's like a seven point two strikeouts for nine.
Speaker 1: You, I think you have him confused with someone. Okay, is he has nine walks on the season. He's not walking a lot of guys. He has struck out twenty four batters in forty four innings. He has a four point nine strikeout per nine.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 1: Untenable.
Speaker 2: Look it's lower than I guessed.
Speaker 1: Five five strikeouts for nine as a reliever.
Speaker 2: He's left handed. He's left handed, Yes, all right, Greg.
Speaker 1: The gink two point seven e R forty innings pitched.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna say eight strikeouts for nine.
Speaker 1: He's at nine. He's at nine. He's been good, good believer one Mario two point nine five in just about forty innings as well.
Speaker 2: He's like a sinker baller, guys. So I'm gonna say, like it's like a turbo sinker. I think let's say six point.
Speaker 1: Eight, he's at ten point four. Another legitimate are we doing this game? You've got two okay, you've got two relievers striking guys out. Okay, okay, Jonathan Lowiaca two.
Speaker 2: Point seven, six and a half, all right, fine.
Speaker 1: Six and a half. Uh, Brandon Garcia one in twenty four innings five, No, he's good ten and Ryan Thompson.
Speaker 2: That's Thompson's like obviously Ryan Thompson five point six.
Speaker 1: He's at six and a half.
Speaker 2: But the point is that's all this is fine.
Speaker 1: That's six weeks, no, six and a half from from three, like five, six and a half and six and a half.
Speaker 2: You don't throw those guys and leverage. You just throw the guys that have good strikeout ratios. Plus Paul Seawalled it's fine. Yes, they probably need to add orally too, but that's not like.
Speaker 1: I mean, consider is this You look superficially like a very good bullpen, and you're talking.
Speaker 2: About I don't think it's as good a bullpen as the e Ras are.
Speaker 1: But also like also Brandon Garcia was part of it. Sure anyway, I think Brandon Garcia and one Mario are actually pretty sure.
Speaker 2: I just think like this in the starting pitching is an issue here there.
Speaker 1: Yes, but right exactly, you're gonna have to again, Mitch Bratt is going three inns.
Speaker 2: Right, even even more so, you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't even just do the leverage game. You have to use all these guys all the time.
Speaker 2: And even more so than the Pirates. This feels like the playoff races come to them and they're just going to be like between three games under and three games over the rest of the season.
Speaker 3: I don't think that. I think the playoff races coming up to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna keep coming the wrong lead.
Speaker 1: No, Well, but I think you're both right about that. I don't think this team is getting there, and but also like they're gonna be whatever they are.
Speaker 2: And also like they're close enough now that they it's not impossible if you actually buy a good starting picture that you can.
Speaker 1: They can't buy a good starting picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, by the way, Corbyn Carroll has I'm reading a headline that says the d Backs not overly concerned with Carol's elbow injury.
Speaker 3: Okay, neither.
Speaker 1: Garrett Crochet had an extremely precautionary mr.
Speaker 3: Just entered that chamber with trepidation.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Carol says he has hyper hyper extended the elbow and it's lingered on him.
Speaker 2: M hmmmm.
Speaker 1: Love when things linger on you.
Speaker 2: Yes, especially elbows for guys have to swing on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Our last segment before our break, am I battling ghosts or ai? I'm sorry, I cannot do whatever he's he does in that in that partition and correct, I should not try.
Speaker 2: You can't be trying that, white baby.
Speaker 1: You can't. You can't be talking like that.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The the Mets seemingly are the.
Speaker 2: According to Adam and Vino. I don't think they're the only team that was doing this, but they were.
Speaker 1: They were leading. No, I do not think they were the only team doing this, but they were leaving the tr This.
Speaker 3: How seems like a day to put this.
Speaker 1: This is like such an exhausting thing to even then. Every team gets a.
Speaker 2: League issued iPad with maintained amount of data they can access in games.
Speaker 1: Right, there are three tabs on on it. They are able to look at stuff from the prior. It updates after a half inning. All the data updates. It's generally static data like it's stuff that they can't manipulate or do stuff with generally this is this is where the issue comes in. There is a custom tab or whatever you want to call it, the third tab on this and that it seems like.
Speaker 3: The met's tired. Johnny Lee Miller.
Speaker 1: The several teams were somehow using that custom tab to the the article which came from the Athletic the reporting uh Eno Saris and I think they have four other people contributing to the piece. Uh mentioned generative AI, but it the way, it didn't actually sound like generative AI to me. It sounds like they have a model that uses is the information that is available and produces recommendations. That's not that's not There could be some it's possible, right, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Really learning or some sort of aspect to it. That's but machine learning is not generative AI, right, And I want to be clear.
Speaker 1: To everyone on this like I'm not I'm not trying to defend one. I've never used any I've never used any of these AI chatbots or whatever.
Speaker 2: It is not asking chat GBT, what pitch, it's just thou right, right.
Speaker 1: It is something that is pulling off of essentially static data. Now it's data that updated the prior half inning perhaps, but essentially static data. Now, it does sound like they might have been at hand entering stuff as the inning went on to then produce like what is a recommended pitch offering or or relief? I guess a reliever to go to based on who's hitting. And you know what what your database has about your pictures, right, whether it's armslot, whether it's movement types that give a hit or gim you know, trouble stuff.
Speaker 3: Like location, the things that a manager would do.
Speaker 2: Yes, the look, I don't know if Mets women better off being managed by AI than Carlos Mendoza for the first part of the season. Look, it sounds like a lot of teams were doing this more than just the Mets. It sounds like this was considered okay at one point and the league decided, no, you're pushing this too far. You need to stop, and everybody stopped. Yeah, but it's like the idea that this is some crazy new thing and the teams haven't been using machine learning models to suggest pitch sequences for like the better part of a decade now is you know, they've just been able to figure out a way to get it on the iPad basically.
Speaker 3: Get into the dug out. Yeah, yeah, they should have they should make a.
Speaker 2: Guy whatever yet, like it is like whatever you think analytics are, you're actually ten years behind where teams are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, they should make a guy have to run through the tunnels with a print out.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, it's a handle it. It's got to be like the old like printer paper. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But also, like to Patrick's point, like this is what these guys who have been in the game for a very long time and seeing a ton of reps and like that.
Speaker 2: That's that's it's like Carlos Delgado's notebook.
Speaker 3: Right, we're fancy or or it's a fancy ass defensive positioning charts list right.
Speaker 2: Right, Again, it's data, right, you don't have to pick the slider next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not on a rit. I do somewhat subscribe to the idea that like once the game starts, like enough with all this ship, sure, right, Like if you look, you've got defensive positioning for every person on the team, informed by data heading into the game. Yeah, you've walked into the game with that information and it's on your wrist. Fine, it's not outdated, it's not changing by the pitch, right.
Speaker 3: I don't even like it on the wrist. I'm somebody.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers that got yelled at for using the laser pointer.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, And I kind of and it's kind of to me like enough enough if you can't figure out where to stand, Yeah, Like this is your job.
Speaker 2: A lot of this is like you know what it's happened in the NFL, right, where like the they had to cut down on how late the coaches could be in the headset because they were like literally reading defenses for the quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then it to me it is like this is your job. And also, by the way, as the coach, it's your job to get the player to be able to do it. If you can't get Taoscar Hernandez to stand in the right spot, like sorry.
Speaker 2: Well, this is even more like specific like if you're calling pitches from the dugout right, this is telling you or they suggest that you don't have again you don't have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're trying to find the right mix of like entropy. They don't want to be predictable, they don't want you know, they want.
Speaker 2: I had I talked about this on I think for all you kids. At one point of me was on the show that Nick Schaeffer asked me, like, are teams like trying to create random pitch sequence? It's like super like randomized pitch And I'm sure they were doing that ten years ago, right, the experiment with everything with the day, they have so much data they can manipulate like outside of the dugout, right, Like they've tried every they've high again the machine learning PhDs, data engineer Like they have so many like you know, academic level PhDs in these very like hyper specific technical subjects and then they pay them fifty five thousand dollars a year to like just go the hogwild and like a lot of stuff doesn't amount to anything or some very marginal upgrade, but you're you're trying to find the next advantage, right, like whatever you can for Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: To understand that they're trying to get the fruits of that labor into the dugout and make it easy for the manager or if you.
Speaker 2: Have a calling model benefit from it that is fifteen percent better I mean not even fifteen honestly eight percent better than just normal game normal good game calling, like over the course of a season.
Speaker 1: That's a huge fucking advantage.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And to be clear, one of the reasons I'm saying it's not it's not like AI or specifically generate AI, right, Like you could build an app that says, do you just give it a bunch of conditions based on these parameters.
Speaker 2: Facing this is the last some bitches at these previous locations and these previous.
Speaker 1: And these are the results, by the way, and there's swing's whatever, what what is what should the next thing be? Basically if this, this, this, this, this.
Speaker 2: If then yeah, right, then then what we're doing like very much like like go to slider.
Speaker 1: It is no, but it is. Basically it's a fancier version of that with an of conditionals and the ability to sort through all of that. But that's essentially what we're dealing with. And it's someone hand entering the prior pitch and saying, and this was the result, right, whether it was a swing and a miss in zone, out of zone, whether it's chase whatever, and it spits something.
Speaker 2: Out every few years.
Speaker 1: That's not artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: Every few years tech bros get together and reinvent pitch starting, right.
Speaker 1: But that's not artificial intelligence. But it is that what it's able to consider and how quickly, it's able to produce something is different and you have it on the iPad and.
Speaker 2: Right is like is like deep blue AI Right?
Speaker 1: And what the league, what the League said here was none of this was against the rules. Right now, that's when no one's being punished, right, It is not against the rules as written. We don't like it. We're changing the rules. You have a month to get your shit together, no longer like starting in the second half. You can't do that anymore. And I think also that's fine. Sure, I think the League clearly said it's not against the rules as written, it should have been. We're fixing that.
Speaker 2: We can't consider every possibility, right, we have now considered this one because.
Speaker 1: It's we don't and we don't like it. It is against the spirit of what we were going for, and we're you're not getting punished, but you're not allowed to do it anymore. That's fine.
Speaker 3: Go find a new loophole, Go find.
Speaker 1: A new and well we'll shut that down. Yeah later too, but for now, you can't do this. And I think that's fine.
Speaker 2: And also clearly it helped the Matchalon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and it does sound like what like I don't somewhere between ten and fifteen teams. We're doing something of a variation of this, right, some variations. So all right, on that note, let's take a break and we'll come back with the back half of the show. Welcome back to the episode five hundred and sixty four of five and five. We're on our fourth segment. We're going around the horn heading into the break show. Heo Tani did not even play at all in all start game, right, it was he skipped the whole thing. Yeah, and they said he would not be pitching for a little bit. He's he they needed to drain his knee. He's had knee irritation for a little bit. It sounds like we've got some more specific he will not be pitching for a while, more more than they made it sound. Heading. The Dodgers love to lie, as they do. I'm sure some of this is.
Speaker 2: Is we got to see how he recovers from the knee draining, and right.
Speaker 1: Right, what does it feel like after we drain.
Speaker 2: The knee, does if he pitches the rest of the season or not? Right, Yeah, as long as he's ready for the playoff.
Speaker 3: To get ready for the playoffs, he'd be on a second job.
Speaker 1: Sure, he will continue to hit. It sounds like it is irritated when he It's based on how he lands and some of the torque and that kind of stuff, and not he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Have a torquie swing or anything.
Speaker 1: Well, but it's apparently not when he's If if it's his it's his left knee, right, so that's his landing leg, but also.
Speaker 2: Not it's his back leg. So I don't know who knows.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem to bother him now when he swings, so he will just be dhing for a while. We didn't put it in here, but just on the Dodgers, it sounds like Will Smith's gonna be out for a bunch.
Speaker 2: It sounds like they might be actually interested in exploring the catching market, which.
Speaker 1: Probably a backup catcher just let well I was, but who knows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said, like why are you doing this when you have Dalton rushing? And Jarrett point out to me like everyone needs Dalton rushing.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, that's actually true. Well yeah, there, I know there are some clips, but they've also been caught in certain ways from broader.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like a lot to be clear, you know, I'm not I'm not trying to say like everyone loves him necessarily, but like I think it's I don't know, I don't think it's it's that that that.
Speaker 2: Badness as I continue to trade off every mat and existence, at least Trends is available. Craig, how do you feel about that?
Speaker 1: I thought he was the franchise I thought was available anyway, Yeah, I don't. I honestly think something like Ben ortvett is, isn't he in the Mets?
Speaker 2: He's in the the Mets right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that like he he played with them last year, he knows the pitching staff, that kind of thing seems more likely. They also might just go with Elizer, like who knows.
Speaker 2: The Connecticut Tiger ever watched to make the majors.
Speaker 1: I think he finally got his first career head. Uh. Speaking of an All West Catchers, Hunter Goodman also a potential trade candidate. I suppose first Rocky take three home runs in a game twice in a season, that's a season thought a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like like you would have thought somebody would have like Todd Helton was there. Yeah, yeah, you would think some would have done it before. Hunter Goodman.
Speaker 3: But I do love that the Rockies lost that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, they wouldn't be the Rockies. Rintaro Sasaki signs with the Marlins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a little.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Obviously, he was a fairly big name when he came over to play college ball here. He was not particularly good in college. There's why you went, you know, if you if you play I guess that's not the Pac twelve. Any What conference is Stanford in.
Speaker 1: I don't know what they're in the Okay, so the plant A Coast Conference, right, yeah, fine, sure.
Speaker 3: It's either Atlantic or Coast one of them.
Speaker 1: Att Yeah, I guess, yeah, Okay, I guess because I was going to say, explain s m U, but I guess maybe that's the Gulf Coast anyway.
Speaker 2: Anyway, if you are a three year I don't know, there's a draft dollars or sophone. You're a three year starter at in a CC school and you're going in the eighth round, like you're probably not actually a very good hitter. I'm a little surprised he didn't go back to MPB. But he also got drafted by a team that doesn't post anyone, So maybe he just wants to take a shot. Yeah here, and like he's getting an okay bonus in the eighth round, I'm sure, but in the fact that he came over here to play college ball means he probably was playing MLB, right that that's the more logical path that I don't like it go right out for him, But that's true of any eighth round college bath for the most part.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's honestly I feel for the guy because the way his college career wound up, this this wind up being kind of the hardest possible decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very but yeah, it's a very I don't know what I would have done. Yeah, I don't know either.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Elsewhere, Kyle Bradish extended as as was news to.
Speaker 2: Me earlier, miss kelleration.
Speaker 1: Basically I missed that while I was briefly out of town.
Speaker 2: What was the five.
Speaker 3: Than anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, look, I think Kyle British is a good picture the injury history alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why he's older thirty four right, Yeah, so I don't think it's anything maybe thirty through thirty five, it's if.
Speaker 2: It's five, well no, it's it's five years and it kicks in next year, So I think it's thirty to thirty four.
Speaker 3: I don't have anything against Kyle British, but I feel like Kyle Bradish plus the Baltimoreals is the exact point where I do not care.
Speaker 2: I just don't know why you've locked in Shane Baz and Kyle Bradish and not locked and like signed to anybody yell us at any point in time.
Speaker 3: I mean, is Kyle British, I don't know if you're a love Is he a playoff starter? I think he's a playoff starter. Yeah, you just got to get those guys you gotta get.
Speaker 2: But he's as shouldn't be starting game one for you, which he's going to.
Speaker 1: But again, like we're talking about like jose Soriano and like it's kind of and Jose Soriano are kind of the same to me, two guys who should start the second game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Josey Toriano should absolutely get out of Anaheim, but I would also understand him signing this exact same extension too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, maybe so, uh Brandon Woodruff and.
Speaker 3: Uh Woff, like the guests like the and credit on around the Horn. I feel like every week.
Speaker 1: Didn't we just talk about him last week? For the year, Yeah, he's.
Speaker 3: Each week, the certainty of his his injury grows, and I don't know how he's going to find a way to come back for us to talk about it. Next week, we'll find a way for some some new piece of depressing Brandon wonderff news his.
Speaker 1: His shoulder is actually made out of Hamburger meat, scientists discover. Uh, and our doctor says, Keller out for the year. I'm assume, I'm assuming, Brad.
Speaker 2: I did. I did have a bit of a double take this morning, but it is mentioned.
Speaker 1: Mitch earlier and it wasn't well that is uh.
Speaker 2: You should always count on us mentioning Mitch Keller.
Speaker 1: That's right. Oh, it was a great episode for the keller Fellers with both of them are mentioned. Uh, that's a tough blow for the Phillies.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But now Dave Dombrowski gets to do his favorite thing, which is trade for lever the deadline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I guess they do. They don't have a ton of Jose Alvarado has been.
Speaker 2: He is nothing good Durant obviously, but he's gonna need at least two more leverage rely Verse to feel comfortable.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so we'll see, we'll see come there and that brings us to our game.
Speaker 3: That brings us our game. We're doing leader wards. So we haven't done this game in a while. I know you guys love it so much. Uh, what I'm gonna do? Do you guys know booths? For this one. What we're gonna do is We're gonna take turns guessing and I have the top ten leaders in various statistical categories as of today, and you'll take turns voting. You get ten points for whoevers in first, you get one point forever and tent and after five categories, you've got three guesses each.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna admit something about myself on these games, is it's not I I somehow feel that the taking turns is worse. Yeah, because I then have to guess, Whereas like when it's just a competition, if I just lose to Jeff, I can be like, great, great move, great one, Jeff beat me to it. Good job.
Speaker 3: All right, Well that's a break. Go first, we're gonna start with slugging percentage. Who else the this is for? I think it's called for qualified batters for this one. It's for the Yeah, I'll let you know. For each one but for this one, it's qualified batters, Craig, who is who has the highest looking percentage of baseball?
Speaker 1: See, this should be something I should be able to like figure out, but I probably can't. I'm gonna I'm gonna go with your non albs.
Speaker 3: You'd be correct to do. So, he's ten points.
Speaker 2: Okay, First, I will go with because you want like a fairly high batting average too, I I will just go with Junior Camenara.
Speaker 3: Junior Camanaro is ninth. Actually he's tied for eighth, so you get three points, all right, Craig, Guess two.
Speaker 1: I will go with Kyle Schwarber.
Speaker 3: Aile Schwarber is tied for fourth, seventh.
Speaker 2: I almost sure, but I thought the banning hours would be too low.
Speaker 1: No, I thought Carmanara was a good guest, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Now there's not a huge number. I mean, I will I will say this is.
Speaker 1: Just slogging percentage.
Speaker 2: Because it's like it's yeah, yeah, no, I'm saying, like, but if you hit two forty and the other guy hits camin I was hitting eight, the.
Speaker 1: Gap between Camara was a great guest.
Speaker 3: I will say the gap between your done and number two is the same as the gap number nine.
Speaker 2: That's what I also figured.
Speaker 3: Yeah one so one. Soto is seventh, so you get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's had a bad week.
Speaker 3: Four points because we do three guesses each have three guesses, you have one more.
Speaker 1: I have like an obvious one and and one lesson less obvious that m I'm going to go for the stretch and probably probably pay for it. But I am going to say Jordan Walker, Jordan Walker is none on the list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's like he's like under five hundred right now. I think I knew, I knew what. Look, I knew going in, I was going to pay for it.
Speaker 3: Just a chance to catch up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to you're out which Okay, we'll pick here. Let's go with the Colson Montgomery.
Speaker 3: Colston Gummery is not also known in the list. I'll take it, all right, So seventeen to seven. Craig is the lead. You're the leaders the rest of the way. Ben Rice of course forgotten. Yeah, Byron Buckston number three, I would.
Speaker 2: Not have got, like I know he's I wouldn't have gotten that, but I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hunter Goodman tied for fourth, James Wood fifth, Wilson shame on but yeah, and Louis Garcia is.
Speaker 2: My problem that Cam and Arrow, Like I thought, I know, he's like right around five forty. I didn't think there could be that many, Like there's a lot of guys between like five thirty and five sixty.
Speaker 3: Isn't it all right, Jeff your first this one. It's just straight a R.
Speaker 1: A the r A.
Speaker 3: So this is all starting pitching, all starting pitching.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jacob Iss, youre asking, that's stand points.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, what the category.
Speaker 3: Best e r A yep, starting pictures?
Speaker 1: Well that's hm hm hm hm that's annoying. I huh, it's not good for me. It's not good for me that. But I don't know. We talk about YI so much too, and I boy, uh god, there's gotta be.
Speaker 3: It's it's you're correct, there has to be at least nine names.
Speaker 1: Right, No, no, No, it's just it's it's just that so many of the guys that I would like have auto named, I know, have had some rough outings recently, and so like I'm trying to think what I have. Eduardo rodrig is stuck in because I know he's at two point six to two, okay, and I'm trying to think, like what else?
Speaker 2: Can I please not pick Eduardo?
Speaker 1: Can I please not pick? And this is qualified? I don't know if he's starting. I guess I'll take the guess. If he hasn't, he had some rough outings too, God damn it. You know what I'm just gonna say. EDWARDO.
Speaker 3: Rodrigues, all right, tied for six five points? Fine, Chase Chase Burns is even fifth? Yeah, so six points?
Speaker 1: Sure mm hmm. Like this, I know there are guys with like two obviously obviously above Edward Rodriguez, right, like, oh, he's probably qualified. I know he just got hurt.
Speaker 3: Kyle Harrison, Uh, he is no one thelest.
Speaker 1: Oh God damn it.
Speaker 2: Sonny Gray.
Speaker 1: You just looked at it.
Speaker 3: Sonny Gray is in fourth. Seven point. Yes, there's two guys with the two guys.
Speaker 1: Oh u, Cam Schlitzler, there you go.
Speaker 3: Craig takes back the lead. He's third.
Speaker 2: He's I thought was lower than two point. He was, he's had bad starts. And also it's only two point two.
Speaker 3: So you guys dodge Christopher Sanchez, who was type for fifth.
Speaker 1: Okay, Sanchez, I knew had had bad starts.
Speaker 2: I knew Burns and Gray were better than Sancho, That's why.
Speaker 3: Butto on what was nonetheless, Chris Sale is the one you guys both finished.
Speaker 1: I thought, I thought about Chrysale, and he has been incredible, and I truly did not know what he was doing to.
Speaker 2: I know he's been I just never remember Chris Sale, which I think is.
Speaker 1: I looked at Atlanta and said, Chris Sale, and then I thought, I don't like. I don't know if it's low twos or if it's three pie twos.
Speaker 3: I just don't know, and then rounded out Nick Martinez, God Jesus he is eight, Max Meyer's knight, and Foster Griffin is also. Okay, all right, move on to category three. It is satisfyingly tied thirty three. Craig, your first, This is highest walk rate among qualified hitters. Hitters, yeah, hitters, Yeah, best most walks by hitters.
Speaker 1: You know what, I'm just gonna go with old faithful or on Alvarez.
Speaker 2: You're on.
Speaker 3: Alvarez is sixth. I'll take my point.
Speaker 1: That's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 3: One so one so is fifth for six month, Okay.
Speaker 2: I guess higher because like, why would you pitch once?
Speaker 1: Ye?
Speaker 3: Why why would.
Speaker 1: Can? I I don't know if he's I don't know what qualify. Do you know what is qualified in terms of number of later I.
Speaker 3: Think at this point it would be about a little under three hundred, three hundred or so.
Speaker 2: There have been a hundred games that Yeah, there's three point one plate appearances.
Speaker 1: You know, I will go with just another walk guy. I this is not based on strong knowledgy or anything. I'll just say Max Moncy having a good season.
Speaker 3: Sorry, cool Jeff for the lead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thinking I got a couple in mind, So I am going to say I feel like I think he's probably on there, but I also like don't feel great about it. Let's say Cam and Arrow he.
Speaker 3: Has not on it?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: All right, Craig, you got a chance.
Speaker 2: To I can't want this year again? Why would you pitch him? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm caught between a few a few places. I this is really killing me because I don't I don't know if he's qualified for the guy I really want to say, I'm just I'm not gonna say it. I guess I'll just say Kyle Schwarber again.
Speaker 3: Kyle Schwarber is tied for ninth two points.
Speaker 2: Walking Like I don't like the walky.
Speaker 3: You think you're gonna you're gonna be upset.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'm gonna. I'm gonna do one for the brand and say mcgual Vargus.
Speaker 1: No, I was gonna say, Mark Commy.
Speaker 3: I don't Commy is definitely not qual.
Speaker 2: I don't think bats either.
Speaker 1: He gets hit by pitches, but he's hit by Yeah. Uh so.
Speaker 3: Starting at the top, Mike Trout nineteen point one percent.
Speaker 1: Kurts honestly didn't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, Nick Kurts, everyone should just forget the athletic Taylor.
Speaker 3: Ward Taylor words number three, James wood is number four.
Speaker 1: What I thought about too, And then I was like, I don't know if it's all, Like I couldn't remember if it was all.
Speaker 3: Then rounding out the top ten, Michael Bush for all the Perdomo, Bryce Harper, and Brian Reynolds.
Speaker 2: What a list? Yeah, okay, Okay, Balds just walking more than Miguel Argus Wild Junior.
Speaker 3: All right, so Jeff, your your turn, and this time it is strikeout percentage for pictures again, starting.
Speaker 2: Pictures, starting pictures. Okay, Jacob Aus, you're asking there you go ten points?
Speaker 1: Just you know what, let me guess you know what the sale. Let's not forget Chris Sale.
Speaker 3: Chris Sale is fourth or sorry, seventh, so four points. That's not right, twenty eight point nine percent. Four points? All right, Jeff done wide in the lead. Yeah, strike out percentage, strikeout percentage.
Speaker 2: Your burns walks a fair of you, guys, so it's not it strikes out a lot to uh, Cam Schlittler.
Speaker 3: Slittler is fifth time for fourth.
Speaker 2: Sorry, so here we go.
Speaker 1: Take it away. You get supports at yeah, all right, well nonsense.
Speaker 3: You should probably name movers in seconds so you can climb back into this thing.
Speaker 1: Cool. Thanks, Patrick, who is in second. I'm gonna he walks a lot sound a great here though, Uh I'm gonna say I'm gonna say Dylan Cees mm.
Speaker 3: Hmm, uh no, awesome.
Speaker 2: Uh hmmm. I feel like I guy, guys, like I'm fairly comfortable on this list, but also I don't.
Speaker 1: Know that's all you need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's true, but like I'm trying to open up a little bit.
Speaker 1: Of you're going for it. You're stepping on the throat. Yeah. By the way, really cool that Jeff gets both pitching categories. You get three.
Speaker 3: You get to go first three times, he gets the easier two times.
Speaker 1: Okay, in what world is going first in advantage? He gets to go first with the two most obvious answers.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, what are you complaining about again?
Speaker 2: I will just take the points with Chase Burns.
Speaker 1: You're giving me non obvious answers, and I'm a moron. That's what I'm complaining about.
Speaker 3: Chase Burns is ninth gets two points? All right, Greg, you're still on this if you can get one of the high ones.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 6: Uh, it's just striking percent. I'm gonna say this again. I'm gonna be wrong, but I don't think he walked a ton of guys before he got hurt. Ah, I'll just say Kyle Harrison again.
Speaker 3: Your attachment to Kyle Harrison is killing you. Fine, all right, Jacob m Gram's second, Kevin.
Speaker 2: M because he doesn't.
Speaker 3: I thought about fourth, sixth, Nolan McLain eighth.
Speaker 2: Joe almost said McLain too, but I thought a huge, huge strikeout guy.
Speaker 3: So Jeff is up fifty five to forty one. Craig, you can still do it.
Speaker 2: This is okay. He gave up as mean if he didn't get the fourth place points.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess. So last category.
Speaker 1: Patrick, by the way, only this is Patrick only ever updates scores like that when he's being a dick to me, like it is not Ever, he does not do this in reverse. Ever, check the top.
Speaker 2: You don't our next game is just guessing whatever?
Speaker 3: And I almost mentioned him as a trade candidate for the Red Sox and the short stuff, and I'm like, no, no, not even good enough. All right, Last category d r P Overall dr P catchers included. Who are the best defenders in baseball? By our own in house defensive metric, Craig.
Speaker 1: You can go first? Sure? Are you you know what Patrick? Jacob Mazarowski.
Speaker 3: No, no you're not.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, pictures have DRPs.
Speaker 3: You know what their DRPs are. Come on, take the is We need the very similitude. You need to take this seriously. I don't care if you're suffering.
Speaker 1: You gotta ah, I'm sure, yeah, Dylan Dingler.
Speaker 3: Eighth eight it's like eight, no third, eight points?
Speaker 1: What is happening?
Speaker 3: Even? Eight points? It's in your favorite this time? All right, Jeff, you're up by six.
Speaker 2: The guess that I was gonna make Now I'm a little annoyed. Uh P Crow Armstrong.
Speaker 3: He is fourth, so seven points all right?
Speaker 1: Mm hm, I hate this.
Speaker 3: You still got a shot man?
Speaker 1: No, I don't because I don't. I honestly thought Dylan Dingler was gonna be first.
Speaker 3: I'm a little surprised. But Catcher, you catch your defenses down this year.
Speaker 1: I don't know what other I mean. I was assuming it would be a Catcher then, but it's not Pekron.
Speaker 3: No, there are two people above what's that? There are two people above them both?
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently, I'll say Don Rafaela.
Speaker 3: He is six, So you get five points? All right? Still technically in it, Jeff, you can you can close it up by getting by getting at least uh yeah, two points or three points?
Speaker 2: On which center fielder I want to pick? H mm hmmmmmm, it's only gets played enough. What center fielder do I want to pick? Let's go with me and Byron Buxton.
Speaker 3: He's not on there opened the door, right, Craig, you got two, two guesses that can put you in the league.
Speaker 4: I The thing is, I don't think I.
Speaker 1: I don't the one I want to guess. I don't think DRP actually likes even though I think he's having a very I think by most metrics, he's having a very good defensive year. Yeah, I'm just I don't really have I don't have a good sense. I'm gonna say, Dancey Swanson he.
Speaker 3: Is not on the list, all right, Jeff.
Speaker 2: Just for the bit, I will say Louis Trends he.
Speaker 3: Is also not on the list, alright. Alright. So, uh, the the going from the bottom up, Evan Carter three point seven, Garrett at three point eight from from the bot you're starting, Yeah, ten, because we've got to finish with the two guys who couldn't need Cal Rawley somehow at eight despite missing a lunch of time and also hitting like hitting like the trash bag on fire.
Speaker 2: Jake Mangum Mater Jake Mangum.
Speaker 3: Cody Bellinger in fifth, But the two Corbyn Carroll seven point nine is second place, and your hero and mine, Chandler Simpson still now by far the best defensive player in baseball.
Speaker 1: This is this isn't just an entire troll drop.
Speaker 2: And now we're done.
Speaker 3: And now we're done.
Speaker 1: Greg, thank you for joining us on this episode of five and Dive, brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast network. You can get in touch with the show at five and dive at Baseball Perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcast. Search for Baseball Perspectives Podcast network and we'll be in that feed. Thank you again, and if you've been waiting for the pod to be over, your time is now the stuff MHM