Speaker 1: Monster House Presents.
Speaker 2: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 1: A giant, very creature party part.
Speaker 2: In Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 3: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 1: Monster Talk.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters.
Speaker 1: I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 2: And I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 3: This week, Kieren and I are just catching up our respective lives have been super busy, and you'll hear about why. Plus we'll hint at some upcoming episode topics.
Speaker 1: We don't do this kind.
Speaker 3: Of conversational episode very often, but this was a much needed chat and we really appreciate being able to share it with you.
Speaker 1: More instrtal All right, Hey Karen, how's it going?
Speaker 2: Hey? Ups and downs? Yeah, I think the same thing for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this has been a strange year. It has been a strange year. I thought we should maybe use this episode.
Speaker 3: We've got a lot of stuff coming up, and because of some personal stuff in my life, which I'm going to hint at without giving too many details. You know, we didn't really have anything new, specifically monster related, but I thought, you know what, occasionally it's nice to just have a chat, talk about our mission, talk about what we're up to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, twenty twenty five has been kind of rough on me, as you know, as listeners know, our friend of the show and longtime colleague and mentor, Joe Nichol passed away this year. My dog passed away this year, And sadly, it seems like my mother is going to not survive twenty twenty five. And I'm not sure when she's going to be leaving us, but it is almost certainly going to be pretty soon.
Speaker 1: And that's that's been kind of hard.
Speaker 2: And now I'm so sorry, thank you.
Speaker 3: And you know, this is not one of those you know, please send me your condulences or anything like that.
Speaker 1: This My mom is hat a full life.
Speaker 3: She's in her eighties and we have a wonderful relationship, and it's just that, you know, mortality is inevitable and she's coming to the end.
Speaker 2: So I empathize with you because my father passed in twenty twenty of the same condition.
Speaker 1: Sir. Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 2: Common disorder and prevalence is on the increase too, So yeah, it's suh yeah, uh, it's leaves you speechless.
Speaker 3: It does, and then you know, I'm sitting here thinking, oh no, my mother is going to pass away. And then I almost passed away this week. That's been exciting.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I don't know if you want to talk about it or not.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I have I have.
Speaker 3: I have a very unusual medical condition. Is it's very you know what. Let me just let me give a side brand. I love science, and I love medicine. I love evidence based medicine, and I think maybe one of the most disappointing things as a science enthusiast is to come to the realization that as cool as science is and as cool as medicine is, it doesn't have the answers for everything. There are lots and lots and lots of conditions that there's no there's no solution for you at And one of the scariest words you can hear is idiopathic.
Speaker 2: I was thinking of that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have an idiopathic condition that can take me out. And I had not had any issues in a long time. Mine is an allergic situation and I used to carry an EpiPen and I didn't have my EpiPen because I haven't had a problem in many years, and then suddenly I did, and so it was really weird.
Speaker 2: You know, we had this show scheduled for today and I've got a sudden flurry of texts and have an ambulance there, and it was like, oh shit, what's happened? And I didn't know all of the details, and it was very worried about you. But I think, yeah, it's you know, we talk about alternative medicine, and I think that idiopathic conditions it's one of the reasons why alternative medicine exists because there are so many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want you want something to do, you want something that you can prevent or you know, to cure or to you know what. It's it's very frustrating for a person who's you know, I am a habitual problem solve right, I'm addicted to solving mysteries and.
Speaker 1: That sort of thing, and so me too. And I'm also pretty analytical most of the time.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, I look, I I don't want to, you know, present myself as being smarter than I am. I am no genius, but I I do tend to think about things in pretty systematic ways and try to figure out what's going on, and so you know, this is, like I said, this maybe the third time in my life I've I've been pretty sure, you know, with a lot of certitude that if things didn't turn around, I was going to die. And what's cool about it? Well, that's what I was gonna say. The cool part is it is I mean, I don't want to die. But you know a lot of people are like, well, you know, atheists, you know there's you know on the deathbed. You know you you you turn around, you you you look for God. Well, let me tell you, folks, I've faced death at least three times. And what I did was thought, does my wife have this under control? Yeah, she's got this. I'll be okay, you know, I mean, I'm going to die. What can I do? You know, I'm not afraid.
Speaker 1: I don't like pain, but I don't And this is not a brag. This is just how my brain works.
Speaker 3: I just happened to know that I don't tend to panic in these situations.
Speaker 1: I just I'm calmly counting, I'm looking at the clock.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about here are my symptoms. I can tell I'm going into shock. I could tell how my throat's closing up, I'm like, okay, I probably have about fifteen minutes. Yeah, and then you know, and I know it was terrifying for my wife, but I was just thinking, Okay, the ambulance people there probably in the fire department, they're about five to seven minutes away. I probably have about fifteen minutes. Unless something goes horribly wrong, they're gonna get here, give me an epipinch shot, and I'm gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: Probably.
Speaker 2: Wow, there's some clarity of thought. And yeah, no near death experiences, huh. Just perspective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just perspective.
Speaker 3: And it's like, you know, when I recovered and it takes a while to recover from both the epipinch shot and you know all the Bina droll I took, it was like, yeah, I need to I mean, there's some things I need to get in better order. But yeah, yeah, I mean I'm pretty happy with my situation mentally, Like I I'm not afraid of death, which is sad because many people I know who tell me I need to be worried about what comes next, are far more afraid of death.
Speaker 1: Than I am.
Speaker 3: And that but and again this is not me bragging. This is just it's like, I'm very optimistic. I don't tell people here's how you can think like me, because I don't think.
Speaker 1: That's why I think this way. I think it's just my nature.
Speaker 2: You know, everything's going to handle these situations differently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so yeah, and I you know, maybe I should be afraid. I don't know, you know, I mean, I we'll all find out one day.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's probably healthy to have the attitude that you have. And I've had my health conditions too. I have a number of autoimmune conditions, and yeah, I don't know how much we want to delve into just how old we're becoming. People say that when you develop one autoimmune condition, you start collecting them, and that's the case for me. And so nothing that's very serious. I had fears of multiple sclerosis at one point, so nothing quite as severe as that. But certainly a number of very uncomfortable conditions that I've dealt with, and I have a number of them in check. But the latest one to happen to me is pretty monstrous. So the show's about monsters, right, but a lot of conditions it is certainly monstrous. So I've had a real ordeal since last year and I've kind of told you bits and pieces of this, But I had a little fall last year and it was nothing serious. I was just going for a walk with my son and it was twilight, so it was getting dark and I just tripped. So I lost my footing and fell and my shoulder took the branch of the fall. But when you fall, you tend to go into a little bit of shock, so I didn't really know exactly where I hit myself and what was happening and anyway, so I developed some pain and it was difficult to sleep on that side, and I thought I'd better go and get an X ray. So I went and saw. I went to a clinic and saw a nurse, had some X rays. Everything was fine. It started to abate and I thought, okay, all's good. And then maybe a couple of weeks later, I started the pain came back again. And then I started developing this kind of stiffness and a lot of pain trying to sleep on that side at night, and I thought, look, I better pursue this further. I went back to the nurse that I saw, and she referred me to an orthopedic clinic, and they were concerned. Initially, that it was a rotator cuff tear and because of the amount of pain that I was in and my range of motion was very limited and just a lot of stiffness. And so anyway, I had to have an MRI because the X rays didn't tell us enough and they discovered that I have what is called the frozen shoulder. I heard of that, so the technical name is adhesive capsulitis. And oh my god, it is so painful and it's another one of those idiopathic kind of mysterious conditions. It's often linked to diabetes and thiery disorders, which is something that I have. I'm in the age group, I'm in the gender that tends to suffer from this as well. But I wanted to mention this because I wanted to raise a bit of awareness about this condition, because to maximize recovery, you need to get this diagnosed early, and I have. I've had a cortisone shot just a couple of days ago, and I'm having to use cold packs and take iberprofen. But I want to urge anyone out there because I've talked to so many people about this already and they've said, you know, I'm getting similar pain and I want people who are feeling any kind of stiffness or soreness that is chronic to get it looked at, because this is a surprisingly common disorder and it's really debilitating. So I'm just hoping that anyone who's out there and experiencing something similar do something about it, because as soon as you get it addressed, the better. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just I'm you know, our mission here is to prote critical thinking and scientific thinking, and we use monsters as a framework for that. And it's like, right now, it feels to me, you know, like the academic world is under attack here in America and the science based medicine is under attack, and it's like it's really frustrating, and you know, I think the work we do here is very important, you know, raising awareness and trying to keep that and you know, in our own lives, you know, I can certainly feel the temptation when you want there to be an instant fix or reliable fix and there's nothing. It's so disappointing, and it's like, you know, it's it's just a struggle. But maybe you know, some things don't have an answer. But you're right, every every every modality that we try to.
Speaker 1: Use to mitigate these things.
Speaker 3: You know, we're trusting that the system itself is based on hardway evidence, and sometimes it isn't.
Speaker 1: That's that's very disappointing too. It's weird.
Speaker 2: Oh and to go back to alternative medicine and alternative therapies. I've just had a number of people recommend chiropractice and going to local health food stores or supermarkets and just asking what do you have in the way of topical pain relief, and they direct me to homeopathic medicine in quoty fingers and ah, you know, all kinds of arnica stuff like that. That is it seems to work for some people, but I think that's really a placebo effect.
Speaker 3: Well exactly, and that gets so complicated, you know. So for the entire time we've done this show, that there's you know, we're we kind of emerged out of that sort of mid two thousands, you know, online skeptical world.
Speaker 2: Oh the heyday salad days.
Speaker 3: There was so much optimism then, but so many of the shows and blogs and all the sort of content that was coming out was focused on medicine because there's so much harm and alternative medicine and I sometimes I felt a little guilty, you know that, like, well, there's so much real harm and Bigfoot hardly hurts anybody.
Speaker 2: That's not true if you read the novels.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true too.
Speaker 3: Everything everything we face, you know, we have to we have to approach it with some framework of you know, and we don't always have the cognitive time or energy to evaluate stuff, and so we look to experts, and we look to trusted sources. And that's that's a really it's a really normal heuristic.
Speaker 2: Which is difficult right now, right now, if.
Speaker 3: You can't trust those sources, having good critical thinking skills gives you a pathway to at least figure out if you can't do the research yourself scientifically, you can at least figure out which sources might be trustworthy, what experts.
Speaker 1: Can you trust?
Speaker 2: Way to look for exactly.
Speaker 1: You know, and it a YouTube and Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 3: That's not where you find good information, is not, So you have to try a little harder, dig a little.
Speaker 2: Further, fortunately and unfortunately.
Speaker 3: But I'll tell you one thing, if you know, facing mortality, facing all these things, one thing that keeps me optimistic is looking forward.
Speaker 1: Working on projects.
Speaker 3: You know that I think are going to make, you know, leave a mark, hopefully leave something out there for people to to listen to, to help guide them, you know, in some way. And so you know, this show is it is, and it keeps me happy. It keeps me optimistic about the future. We we can't from just this show fix the world, but individuals, maybe we'll learn something here about one or two things and it will help them along the way, and it maybe entertained.
Speaker 1: And sometimes people just feel better for having listened to us.
Speaker 3: They've some people like our ps my pints, I should be let me me make your puns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and I think I think we try to make a difference. And certainly our listeners do reach out to us on occasion and say that we helped them to get through a dark time, or to get through the pandemic, or I mean they're equally helping us to get through our own.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to twist a phrase, you know, think global but act vocal.
Speaker 1: That's a podcasting.
Speaker 2: Tricky for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we do have lots of things going on, I guess work wise and Bobby wise as well. True enough, tell me a little bit about what you've been working on.
Speaker 3: Well, sure, Well, first of all, I've been working on my computer situation, and I don't want to go into a great, big technical thing, but basically, the audio software that I use is Audacity, and it's free and open source, which I really like. But recent up dates have made it so that the file sizes get really enormous.
Speaker 1: And even on my Mac it was.
Speaker 3: Which was super fast when I first got it, Uh, it just became untenable.
Speaker 1: I couldn't.
Speaker 3: It would sometimes take five or six minutes to save a file. I tried lots of things to fix that, but that's too slow when you're trying to edit.
Speaker 1: And every time I make a change, yeah, yeah, well.
Speaker 3: I'd make an edit and it might take me two or three minutes before the edit would show up on screen. So you know, and Windows that already given me so much trouble. So I rolled over to make my one of my boxes into a LINEX workstation and I've been using that. The only problem is I'm trying to use vintage hardware and it's it's a little bit underwhelming in the memory department. But I bought some new memory chips and it turns out they have to be the same speed as the one that's throwing on the board, and so anyway this week I will find out if that's going to work. If it doesn't, I'm going to probably have to drive five or six drop five or six hundred bucks on a new system board. But I'm trying to get by with what I got, so unfortunately it is, but I'm loving honestly, I've been using I am a i don't know what you call it, a generalist. I know how to use several operating systems, Unix based opportunity. So I just like technology, and so I'm really enjoying getting back into Linux more hardcore.
Speaker 1: It's so much fun.
Speaker 3: I really hate the way the world's switching to subscription based software for everything, so using free and open source is so much better.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 3: You know, I just need to get a box that is all right. I need to get this box up to.
Speaker 1: Speed with the memory, or.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to buy a new system board. I'm not too happy about that, but it's okay. We're doing okay this year. This year, things seem to be headed in the right direction in some way, so I'm happy about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's something.
Speaker 3: So a lot of I lost a lot of time with heart computer issues. But but so that's that's been challenging. But other than that, you know, I had big plans. I was going to really try to get my first draft of my my technology book out in April, and thenmultiple deaths and medical issues made that laughably impossible.
Speaker 2: It is, It is difficult.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we've got good stuff coming up for this show, which I'm very excited about.
Speaker 1: We're gonna first of all, I read a book called High.
Speaker 3: Weirdness by Eric Davis, and it's about the nineteen seventies Terence mckinna and Robert Anton Wilson and Philip K. Dick and the way there's sort of lives and creativity overlapped and impacted the way the whole world thinks about hallucina, gens and oh interesting alternate AI and all kinds of things.
Speaker 1: It's really fascinating.
Speaker 3: I really I think that'd be a great interview.
Speaker 1: It's a really terrific book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looking forward to that, hoping I can fit it in before we chat with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a fantastic reed. But if you can't, I'll get you up to speed. But we also have a friend of the show, Jerry Drakes, to be coming back. He's been working on a book for a while now, you got to talk about that.
Speaker 2: He has. So, Hazel was a good girl. So this is the story that inspired the Twin Peaks series, a tale of a true crime, So the murder of a young lady by the name of Hazel Drew. And So I have not finished the book yet, but it is riveting. I've really been enjoying it. And so he has a new theory about who done it, and surprisingly he has a ghost story to tell that's part of his research, part of his investigation. So I really found that very surprising. I saw him or one of his friends hint at that on Facebook and I found it very astonishing. So I'm looking forward to bringing him on the show and hearing more about this strange, paranormal like experience that he had that led to him to write this book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jerry's a really fascinating guy.
Speaker 1: I've always enjoyed talking with him.
Speaker 3: And he's one of the people we've met through the show that I've actually had the chance to meet in real life.
Speaker 1: And he was a delight.
Speaker 2: Oh I haven't yet, I had so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I really hope to get that red before we talk to him as well. I know he's been working a long time so and he's been with you know, our magic series too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. He gets a hyper focus on something and works on it and comes up with answers. So I really can't wait to see what his conclusions are.
Speaker 3: I won't say anything about his day job, but he's he's in an interesting place.
Speaker 1: It's really cool.
Speaker 3: Off the record, he works for the government, so we can't say any.
Speaker 1: More than that.
Speaker 3: But anyway, speaking of magic, so this is a little sad. So I got contacted out of the blue by one of Joe nichols friends and colleagues. And you know, Joe passed away and a professor, doctor Phil Stevens, who knew Joe and worked up in Buffalo, contacted me and said that he was working on a New York Times obituary for Joe. So I was delighted. It was so kind. I was so glad that that happened. He did, and it was really really heartwarming. I'll put a link to that in the show notes. But but Phil himself is an emeritus professor of anthropology and has written a book about magic and witchcraft. And I was like, wow, I mean, I didn't want We were talking about this very sensitive topic. But at the same time, when I looked at his credentials, I was like, Oh, I really want to talk to him on the show, you know. So he's kindly agreed to come on. Yeah, so I'm excited about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. And speaking of Phil's, we spoke with Philip Center recently and we did that two parts yes episode, the two episodes on Dino's.
Speaker 1: And Yeah, he was getting some great feedback on that too.
Speaker 3: By the way, I really appreciate that from the listeners wh've reached out.
Speaker 2: That is really good to hear. And so we were going back and forth with his editor, Christina Ward, and she's a publisher with fare House.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have an interesting catalog, I'll tell you you know. I was delighted to hear that they had some content that was actually aligned with how our show goes. But yeah, they a lot of their stuff would be Look, they're edgy, They're just they're kind of punk.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I was.
Speaker 2: Totally going to say they're the punk music of the publishing world, and I will She mentioned something about food publishing and I'm interested in that, and so I went and checked out some of her books, and she very kindly sent us some copies. And I'm very excited about this because I've been looking for someone to talk to about monstrous food, and so she said us a copy of Holy Food, which is how cults, immunes, and religious movements influenced what we eat at American History. So it's a really thick book and weighty with knowledge. I'm really looking forward to that. In the other books, Yesterday and Your Wife, She's stolen there.
Speaker 1: She's such a foodie.
Speaker 3: In one of the books is I know there was oh my gosh, speaking of people who past.
Speaker 2: Was the other one, so American Advertising Cookbooks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of my friends was in the skeptical movement, was Leo Lincourt, and I loved him to death and we never met, but he was he loved a few things. He loved skepticism, and he loved kerbal Space program, and he'd loved to post nineteen seventy's gelatinous recipes.
Speaker 2: And there is one that I'm looking at now on the cover of this book, American Advertising Cookbooks, How corporations taught us to love spam of this trademark bananas and Jello trademark, And yes, one of those horrifying concoctions. It looks to me like it is with maybe lettuce and olives.
Speaker 1: This is going to be so much fun.
Speaker 3: I grew up in that world and my great aunt used to always make this hideous looking green yellow concoction with milk and be kind.
Speaker 2: That was the Yeah, we didn't have too much of that sort of stuff growing up in Australia, but certainly my mother had some older cookbooks and Joy of Cooking style thing and to Scotch eggs and lots of things that looked a bit nasty to make toast. Yeah, I'm not a veggie might fan. I think we've discussed that before. So talking about monstrous food another reason I was exiled here. But that is going to be a really fun interview. And another one that I want Shah to tackle too is to bring Matt back on again and to talk about haunted chichen Itza. We made a very short true to Cancun a couple of weeks ago. It was just a very last minute thing, and you were very wrapped up in things and we were We didn't talk for a little bit there, and so we did this quick getaway and visited Chitchinitze, which was just a marvelous experience. I was so excited to visit there, and we were collecting lots of ghost stories about the place, and there's just a lot of folklore that's very interesting, and just going to Mexico and the exposure to all of the scams and interesting cultural things that took place there. So we thought we could talk about those for an upcoming episode.
Speaker 1: That sounds cool, you remind me.
Speaker 3: I had been working on an article for the UK Skeptic magazine about the It's going to be a chapter in my book, but it's about this moment in time when sort of technology and magic and other things came to get but I couldn't shrink it down into a suitably small format, so I've decided to not do that, but it will be in my book, but.
Speaker 2: You can use the research well exactly.
Speaker 3: No, it's perfect for my book. It's just it fits better in the whole context. So if you're reading it in the context of the history of the personal computer, which is kind of a focus of the book, because you kind of see in that one field how innovation can play out in a whole bunch of different ways. But all the background information that I was trying to cram into this one chapter will be spread out through the whole book, so it's much easier to kind of focus on that one scene anyway, so that's not lost or wasted. But I wanted to give them an article, and so I've decided to finally write up my thoughts on this whole idea of scripted So I'm going to do that's actually finally going to be in print hopefully. Yeah, so pretty soon, probably in the next.
Speaker 1: Three or four weeks. That should be finalized. Yeah, because that whole idea, we talk about it all the time.
Speaker 3: This interplay between how you know, imagery and film and pop culture influences the things people really report, and the things people really report ends up influencing film and media.
Speaker 1: So it is this feedback.
Speaker 2: Loop and exactly, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: And I guess I'm going to use Bigfoot as the primary case, even though it's not the first, and then talk about that, you know, because the Patterson Gimlan film, you know, before the PGF, I think there was a lot of variation in how people reported Bigfoot.
Speaker 1: I mean, there were lots of stories of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes he's like fifteen feet tall in those early reports, it's crazy, and then suddenly we see the movie and then that locks in.
Speaker 1: What Bigfoot is.
Speaker 3: But it's even funnier than that because he himself, Patterson was copying a story that he had read from Canada, so you know, there's all this feedback and it's just it's really worth writing that up, I think, and so I'm looking forward to that. And plus it'll put scripted in print and not just here in the podcast.
Speaker 1: So that'll be nice.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to say, yeah, you definitely want to do that before someone else does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if Joe was still alive, he'd be nagging me to get it done because he was always saying, if it's not print, it didn't happen, I will take over.
Speaker 2: I will nag you more.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. That's what I need.
Speaker 3: It's like somebody told me the other day or I was talking about my optimism. I describe myself as pathologically optimistic, and it was my sister. She was laughing about it, and I said, well, you know, the good thing is I've got Kathleen here to keep me grounded. In fact, sometimes she keeps me so grounded i'm subterranean.
Speaker 2: She does a very good job she does, she does.
Speaker 1: I'm very lucky.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm just thinking about other news too. This week I will be giving a talk. It's going to be virtual to the gender Balanced It work at Cambridge University Press, so I'm really excited about that. They read my book Bitch, the Journey of a Word, and one of.
Speaker 1: The things I was going to ask you, how's that bitch?
Speaker 2: Do it? It's do it, okay, just between you and me and the listeners. I just found out that the Cambridge University Press nominated me for a Pulitzer Prize and they announced the results this week. I don't know how any of this works. I think they have thousands of nominations every year, but that would be that would be incredibly cool if I had even a look in at that. So it's an honor to be nominated, is an absolute.
Speaker 3: Honored to be nominated. Nothing I've ever done is been nominated for anything but that.
Speaker 2: Well, I just didn't think it would be up there. Ali, But I'm looking at some of the previous winners categories like plays and musicals and things like that, that seems like they are becoming a bit more progressive and edgy, So you never know.
Speaker 3: They don't have a pun category though, do they they need one?
Speaker 1: They do, they desperately do, clearly.
Speaker 2: Going back to the talks, so I'm going to be talking about sexus language in the workplace. And I just finished up a research project at a university too, and I've just become a visiting scholar at the University of Colorado Boulder to congratulations, thank you. So it's it's unpaid, it is just an affiliation. But I'm going to be using that to work on a number of other book proposals and book projects. And I've got another book which is going to be coming out. I'm not sure if it will be this year or next year, but it's beyond words. It's about psycho linguistics, which is how we learn language and how we use it, how we lose language with various conditions like Alzheimer's and dementia and a phasia. So that's really interesting stuff. I've found that medical parts to be so fascinating. That's the kind of stuff I love researching. And that's out to clearance review now. So the peer review process at Cambridge University Press is that they had I had oh maybe about six peer reviewers and then I write the book and now it's out for clearance too, so they certainly do their intelligence when it comes to sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, again that's one of those things where we're talking about sort of your epistemology, what do you trust what do you not trust for knowledge? You know that whole peer review it's not flawless, but you know, it is really important to get that process done and vent these ideas against experts within the field. That's really really critical for a you know, a trustworthy product, right it is.
Speaker 2: And one of the first books that was written about this topic goes back to the nineteen seventies and there's a well the first book because it's a combination of psychology and linguistics, and so one of the first people to write it it was Gene Atchison, and she said that I had a lot of feedback and a lot of opinions about how I should have amended this book, and but I should have added or excluded, and I didn't listen to them. Perhaps it would have been a better book had I done so, but I didn't. And I think that this something like this, sometimes you need to take the bull by the horns and really do your own thing and go Maverick, and so that's what this book is really about. There are a lot of books on this topic, Chomsky, Hinker, and my book is a different take. Again. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: Chomsky's as I don't want to kill him by calling his name, but he's somehow still alive.
Speaker 1: There was like a death rumor about.
Speaker 2: Him, is yes, Yeah, I think every so often there's news that he's passed. And it's so funny.
Speaker 3: Because he seems to have like two identities, like there's Chompsky the linguists, and there's Champsky the political figure, you know, and a lot of people like hate him for his politics, you know, and don't want to recognize the other side.
Speaker 2: So yeah, his work was absolutely groundbreaking in linguistics, but people don't go to hear him talk about universal grammar, right is that why.
Speaker 1: Names?
Speaker 3: And that's you know, his name was always tied in with that work.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's interesting stuff.
Speaker 3: And obviously I knew nothing about linguistics compared to anyone who's even halfway first.
Speaker 2: You know, I think you'd be very interested in this book because I do talk about things like animal systems of communication and attempts to try to get animals to talk. So I'm also talking about different protagonists in the development of psycholinguistics. So there are just so many different fields that are connected to this kind of growing and burgeoning field. And so these are people who historically wouldn't have described themselves as psycholinguists, but to the extent that their work informed accounts of the relationship between the brain and language, they're no less a part of the history of the field. So I wanted to just mention an Austrian inventor from the eighteenth century. His name was Wolfgang von Kempelin, So I'm not sure if you're familiar with him at all.
Speaker 1: Well, I am, weirdly because.
Speaker 3: One of his inventions is the mechanical turk or the chess turk, and that's really important in.
Speaker 1: My research.
Speaker 3: For technology, because it's not that he made an invent that turns out to be a huge hoax on the chess tirk side.
Speaker 1: It was actually a man in the machine. I'll put a link in that the show.
Speaker 3: Notes it inspired the whole idea of a mechanical chess device, which led directly into some of the early work in artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I didn't know about that, but I knew about his best known invention, the chess turk. So that was an apparatus that played chess with an opponent, and it had it was go and look it up, listeners, because it's just a funny, funny device, and it has a kind of turban wearing mannequin that's treaked in robes and it's attached.
Speaker 1: To it Zoltan from Big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, absolutely, it's attached to this kind of box like cabinet. So, as you said, it was a hoax. So there was a hidden human chess master who was manipulating a series of levers, but nobody was able to expose it at the time, so you know, no one could get in there and take a look at it. But a lot of people fell for the ruse. Oh yeah, and the turk was it checkmated both Napoleon and Benjamin Franklin, which I thought was fascinating. So another device that Pempland created was something called the speaking machine. So this was probably devised to simulate the speech of the chess player. So but it did really it became a pioneer, or he became a pioneer in the field of speech synthesis technology. So he devised this machine and it was really designed to mimic human space each so it makes it a full runner of modern speech programs like Siri. And what it was created for was to mimic the vocal tract. So it used bellows to stimulate lungs that were forcing air through a kind of read that was acting as the glottis, and then that vibrated like a voice box to produce speech sounds through a kind of mouth or chamber. And it's a really interesting device. You can go and take a look at it online and it played like a musical instrument and it's really creepy to listen to examples of it. People have replicated it, and it has this kind of childlike voice and it would say things like mama and Papa. And it was also created to add some phrases too, and it really creepy stuff like you are my friend, I love you with all my heart and come with me to Paris.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I'll have to see if I can find a recording and drop in you. That is amazing. I never heard about it.
Speaker 2: This device is a replica Von Campbell in speaking machine.
Speaker 3: This is a real invention. But he's so famous for the hoax of the mechanical turk.
Speaker 1: That is just neat.
Speaker 3: I love how this topic overlaps skepticism, your interest in linguistics and my interest in innovation and artificial intelligence, and that's that that is really cool.
Speaker 2: It really doesn't. He wrote a book too, so it was in German, but it was essentially Mechanism of Human Speech and Language, and so this examined the origin of human speech, sounds, and the organs involved. So, you know, he was kind of a huckster, but he was a genius.
Speaker 1: That's really neat. When is your book coming out or when do you think it'll be out.
Speaker 2: It's currently undergoing a clearance review and then I have to go through the process of proofing and editing and all of that. Okaycha indexing, So I think it could potentially come out later this year or as late as early next year. Yeah, but he was the first person to create a machine that's basically the foundation for all of the devices that we have today. That it's the comic speech.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, and there's again, speaking of skepticism, there's so much well I'm just gonna say bullshit. There's so much bullshit in the technology world. So I mean, it's amazing things happen, and then they get over hyped, and then things that are not real get made that are pretending to be real.
Speaker 1: So like like.
Speaker 3: Elon Musk's Tesla robots, you know, they've had multiple events where first they had a guy in a suit pretending to be a robot and they're claiming, you know, trying to get investors saying they're making a robots. They have a guy in a suit, and then they have an event where they have robots, but they're actually being remote controlled. So the robots are talking to people and making drinks, but it's being done remotely.
Speaker 1: There's companies that are doing.
Speaker 3: You know, automated drivers, but then humans drop in and take over, so it's really remote control driving. And it's like you just have to be so skeptical and you know, and I don't mean that like dismissive. I mean you have to just like you have to be able to look under the hood or seek out people who know how to look under the hood and see whether this stuff is really.
Speaker 1: Happening or whether it's just hype and bs. And it's sad that the changes.
Speaker 3: Well don't you think it's sad that We live in a world where you can't call bullshit because people say you don't say that word. But yet we get harmed because of literal It's just bullshit.
Speaker 1: What's not literalists, But let's work on a farm.
Speaker 3: You're probably not literally being harmed by bullshit.
Speaker 2: But there's that too. Yeah, but yeah, So I'm juggling a lot now and quickly you are too. But a lot's happening and lots of things worth living for.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I keep again, whether it's pathological or not, my optimism is high.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I was feeling really down for a few months, and something happened in about three four weeks ago. Something just clicked and I felt like I was back in my twenties mentally, Like suddenly my optimism returned. I'm thinking, and clearly I'm getting a lot of stuff done on projects, like I'm just having this moment of clarity.
Speaker 1: No, no, it seems to be.
Speaker 3: It does not seem to be medicinal, and nothing's changed my medication or whatever, but I just my brain just seems to be fired up. Like I think it's like some depression cleared, you know, anxiety to cleared. I don't know, you know what I'm back, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, and I know.
Speaker 3: It's like I've tried to arm myself because I know bad things are coming. I've got you know, my loved ones are getting old. They are going to die on me, and there's nothing I can do to stop that. But I am savoring every moment I can get with them.
Speaker 2: That is a great attitude, and I think it's all about resilience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 3: So I love my family, I love my friends, and I love that we have listeners who are so supportive.
Speaker 2: So I love all listeners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thanks for giving us an episode where we're just catching up because I mean, you know, a.
Speaker 2: Little bit with all the things that we've been doing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's true. This is actually literally this is real. This is me and Karen catching up.
Speaker 2: On for sure. This is very unscripted key stuff here.
Speaker 3: Anyway, We got interviews coming up and new stuff coming out, So stay tuned, and thank you for listening and supporting our show.
Speaker 2: We really appreciate we do. We certainly do.
Speaker 3: Monster You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. You were just listening to me and Karen catching up on our lives and what's coming up from Monster Talk.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening along.
Speaker 3: As a reminder, you can always email me at Blake at monster talk dot org or Karen at Karen at monster talk dot org. We don't always have time to reply, but we always appreciate your feedback. Hey, if you want to support this show, If you like this show, it really doesn't cost you anything to just tell a friend. That's all we need you to do. If you can support us on Patreon, that's great. If you want to give us review on iTunes, that certainly helps.
Speaker 1: But you know, just telling a friend it means a lot.
Speaker 3: Monster Talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. If my philosophy was a bumper Sticker would probably say, I don't believe in much, but I believe in you.
Speaker 1: This has been a Monster House presentation