Speaker 1: All right, we continue on Fred Rogan Rodney Pete on AM five seventy LA Sports. We are giving away passes to the Petersen Automotive Museum.
Speaker 2: We will be doing that.
Speaker 1: This hour included four tickets to the museum, including the newly opened totally awesome exhibit Cars and Culture from the eighties and nineties. It is great, great, so we are going to be giving that away later on in the hour. Also in that colleennial stop buy. But now, let's bring on a man who always tells it exactly like it is, never pulls a punch, brutally honest when it comes to the angels. It's our buddy Sam Blum from the Athletic and Sam, how are you today?
Speaker 3: I appreciate that characterization to come good.
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, and you are really, really honest. I'm surprised you don't duck when you.
Speaker 2: Go down there.
Speaker 3: Everyone's nice.
Speaker 2: You gotta tell it like it is. I mean, only you can only respect someone who tells the truth, and that's good or bad. I like it, Sam.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Okay, trade deadline, are they going to do anything or sit on their hands like they normally do?
Speaker 3: They'll do something. It's to me, the question is really like what what's the extent, you know, like is this is this Okay, you know, you trade Moncata and Tyler Anderson and maybe Kenley Jansen and call it a day. I mean, I think that the Angels hope to bring me bring Kenley Jansen back next year, which might make them think twice about sell you know, trading him this deadline. So yeah, I think the question is just the extent that they actually sell, Like it was the same question last year, and they only traded away two relievers when I think they could have you know, gotten a lot more. And then also the year before that one, you know, they they did not trade shoe Otani when I think they would have been a franchise altering return they would have gotten back. So yeah, I'm guessing they'll do something. You know, I'm not even rolling out the possibility that they'll you know, be buyers if they have a good week here. You know that this is the way they operate, like they they look they don't they look at the team with their fingers crossed and hope that it all works out. There's not really you know, a plan in place, ever, it feels like with them, so would they if they bought with a chocoy No. I think everyone around the league is praying that they sell because they have some players that other teams want. But you know, I don't know if the Angels have the you know, requisite understanding to understand this is the seller's market and they can actually put themselves in a position to be competitive, probably not next year, but the year after if they, you know, are aggressive at this deadline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, hey, Sam, you mentioned it, you know, a couple of years ago with Otani, is there still some feelings about regrets or whatever about them not doing anything with them? I know that the attitude was they were close and they were going to make a run for it and it didn't work out. But are there regrets that they didn't make that deal happen and get a boat load for him?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, regret is I don't know, Like you know, you don't.
Speaker 4: Really hear people with the Angels expressed.
Speaker 3: Like we should have done this differently. I mean not that's probably with any team, to be honest with you, but I think it's kind of self explanatory for it.
Speaker 4: You know that you can.
Speaker 3: See the results of them and probably would have gotten back if they traded Otani in that twenty twenty two deadline the year before he was going to become a free agent. You know, they could have gotten back essentially what the Nationals got for Monsta, which was you know, James Wood, Mackenzie Gore, c j Abrams, and then also on top of that probably Jackson Merrill.
Speaker 4: So they could have.
Speaker 3: Gotten back, you know, a team essentially that would have put them in position to be one of the best teams in the American League right now.
Speaker 4: But they didn't do that.
Speaker 3: So is there is there regrets? I don't know. I mean I think that, you know, maybe deep down there might be, but there's certainly not anything that's been expressed. I think that the team probably looks at this deadline differently than that one, even though I don't really think there's a huge difference. You know, you're looking at a similar situation of a team that's maybe like not completely out of like a miracle playoff run, but you're not really in position to make a and you know, you're you're kind of just trying to convince yourselves that you're in that position. Like I said in the article, I wrote today like, if the Angels were it's not impossible for them to make the playoffs this year. But I just don't think that it's smart for them to sit around and hope for that. I think you've got to look at your situation honestly. You've got to look at it kind of, you know, with really really really critical lens and say, do we really think we're one of the best teams in baseball this year, one of the teams that can make the postseason? And if they do, I mean, you know, I just don't think they're looking at it super honestly, but or at least not impartially. They need to, as any front office needs to, and I think it's important for players in front office to kind of look at this stuff differently. Even coaches look at it differently. I mean, everyone has to be honest with themselves. But I think players need to go out there and try and win and you know, try and make the playoffs no matter what the circumstances are. And I think they've done a good job of that. But the front office needs to step in and be like, Okay, we need to do what's in the best interest of this organization beyond twenty twenty group to beyond twenty twenty five, you know, and even beyond twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Maybe so Perry Venazi as a year left on his deal. Would it be something if he walked into Artie. See I'm telling you how he's going to be able to secure his employment for years to come. Already, let's have a conversation, Let's go for it, let's blow it up, let's move some guys, let's build for the future.
Speaker 2: Give me three years.
Speaker 1: Well, Already's not going to fire room while he's building for the future. Do you think that's a solid plan for Perry.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't really think that's how the power dynamic works. Vice again, I just.
Speaker 4: You know, I just don't.
Speaker 3: I mean not listen, I'm not in those conversations between those two. I think Perry's been able to sustain this job by working with Laraty in a way that's more effective than maybe people, maybe some of his predecessors. But at the end of the day, I don't think I think Already is gonna do He's going to be the final, you know, shot caller here and now if he doesn't want to sell. I don't think Perry could convince him otherwise. Then again, I also don't know how Perry looks at this. I don't you know, I do not know for certain that Perry is in agreement with me. You know it is. I listen at the end of the day, and I think I said this one was on your program maybe back early this season.
Speaker 2: Like I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't absolve Perry blame in this where they're at right now. I think everybody likes to do that. They like to, you know, put everything on already, and there's a lot that should be put on him because he may he like I said, like, you know, you look back at that to the deadline two years ago. Mean, that's an already decision, and maybe if Perry pulls pulls the trigger on that on that trade deadline, maybe he's done a much better job than we've all given him credit for so far. But I think that when you look at the job that's been done overall, like, I don't really think it's been that good. I mean, the team has been a little bit better this year, but I also look at it as they've you know, won a ton of one. Running the games they're run afferential is pretty bad. Uh, You know, they've they've been very healthy, so a lot of things have kind of broken in their favor. And there's still four games blow five hundred, so they've definitely improved. Some of their young players that Perry has acquired, to his credit, have really improved and been really solid big league players. But you know, I just he hasn't improven anything yet. He isn't he hasn't done anything really as shem yet and so until that happens, you know, you can't really sit here and say he's the guy who should you know, be calling the shots and is doing a great job in it. I just, you know, he's got to prove himself, and I think the way you do that is by building and by and by really you know, putting yourself in position to be good long term. I mean, you know, they can complain all they want about all the you know, the number thirty, number twenty nine prospect rankings they get by you know, the Athletic or ESPN or Baseball America and say that those aren't accurate. But at the end of the day, everybody's in agreement that their front that there are farm system is really really really weak. It has no depth, and you know, they've yet to show me or anyone else otherwise. So I just that's the way I look at it. They haven't really.
Speaker 4: Proven it yet.
Speaker 2: That's what we love about you said, He's brutally honest. Man, He's just straightforward. I love it. Thanks you fellas. Like it is, Perry ain't done nothing, he ain't done well.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't want to say nothing because Jack is a great player. Logan Ohapi, I think could be a great player, like some of these guys can be really good Nolan Shaanawall I think is you know, really out maybe outperform some expectations, but you know, getting getting a handful of good players is just not is not the job, right. That's if you're a basketball you know, GM. Maybe it is that you know, you need a you need a full roster, you need a pipeline, you need a farm system. You know, you can't just and I think that they just slide by the seat of their pants on everything. I mean, I I hated the way they brought up a lot of their pitching prospects to operate as as longman in the bullpen out of you know, pure need. I mean they used sam Ald Gary, a player they got in that deadline last year and had made there are forty two pitches in an inning when he was clearly not like able to get out of it, and it was just because they needed the inning cover that game. And it's just that's not how you treat your prospects. And then he sent them out immediately after the game. And I think it's a there election of duty by everybody involved in that decision, and I just, Uh, that's that's the that's where they lose me. I mean, I think that they've done a decent job in certain player acquisition decisions and drafting decisions, but big picture, I mean, they're not They're they're just not operating I think at in the right way at times.
Speaker 1: That being said Sam Blum, the athletic will is, Uh, how's wrong, Washington?
Speaker 2: What do we know about that? Sam?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know I've heard he's doing well. I've heard he I've heard he's back home. I don't want to say too much because I don't know fully, and also, you know, out of respect for his privacy. You know, it's it's you know, what's out there I think is kind of what he wants out there, and uh, it's a tough situation. I mean, I think for everybody involved, Like I've really grown to appreciate watch and I think that you know a lot of their a lot of that fight, a lot of the improvement that you did see this season, you know, is part of that culture that that he dealts within the within the coaching staff and the players. And I think that's a that's an you know, that's being missed a little bit, but ultimately, like he's started that foundation. I think it's been carried over a little bit and and yeah, it's just it's a scary situation. Uh, but I know that that he's doing well and you know, just recovering, and I guess at this point, you know, that's really all that matters, you know, him ever managing again, you know him can back to the Angels or whatever it might be, as a very secondary to him just getting you know, healthy again and stable and able to you know, just to live his life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, we wish him well, for sure, Mike Trout, your opinion, he retires an angel or at some point do they try while he still got something nothing in the tank to move him.
Speaker 3: I apologize, I've I've I'm losing a signal, and I can I'm not an understanding. I apologize. I can't repeat the question. Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 2: I said, can you hear me? Now? Can you hear it? Sam? Yes? Okay, I said, uh, Mike Trout, does he retire an angel or does he get dealt while he still got something in the It's.
Speaker 3: It's just not coming in. I don't know if you guys are coming back or maybe I apologize. It's just I'm not able to to understand any of the question.
Speaker 1: We're gonna let him run, Thanks Sam. And that is typical of Arty Moreno, there it is. He knew that we were talking about him, and he figured out of way that jam his signal. That is typical, Lady Morello. Doesn't surprise me one bit. His ears were burned, yea. And he said, if you think I'm gonna sit here and listen to that, yeah, you got another thing coming.
Speaker 2: Damn, damn, damn. I mean, so come on already.
Speaker 1: Really, although the Mike Trock question was a great one, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And again, first, who's gonna want it for that much money? That's really a question. Yeah, that's what it comes down to, because time is time is of the essence if you're going to do something right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dodgers are traveling. They've probably traveled to the East coast. I don't think Mookey's with him. I think Mook is gonna miss Friday's game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what Dave said. He's got a personal situation that he's dealing with. So we'll see, all right, So I don't think he's there. Two and four in the home stand and not pretty. Even the win yesterday not pretty, the bullpen not pretty. So there's only one way to go, and that's up. Really. I mean, they won yesterday somehow, someway, they're still in five place, and yet they're still in first place.
Speaker 1: They're still in first place, and that speaks volumes. That's the whole ball game, big time. I mean, that is the whole ball game. They're still in first place and that's remarkable. So, you know, help is on the way. We know that Trianon should be back soon, Blake Snell should be back soon. Rookie Sazaki may be throwing to live hitters next week in Arizona. So there is help that is on the way. Tanner Scott officially placed on the IL, which is necessary for Tanner because he's hurt and necessary for everybody that's watching him pitch this year, it is necessary that they put him on the INTERT list and try.
Speaker 2: To get right. Easy for it? It easy? Now? Am I talking out of school? Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: A little bit? Little? What you're wishing that somebody goes on the IL No, that's not good. No, I'm not wishing. And it's a good thing that he's on the i L. That's what you said. It's good for everybody that he's on the I L. Everybody needs a break, not the IL. Fred that that's not good. Don't say that. Take that back? You know it all right? Fine, you know what I'm saying, though, it's just good that he do. But take it back for our audience. Take it back. I take it back. Okay, I take it back.
Speaker 1: I don't want him on the I L. I don't want anybody hurt.
Speaker 2: But if there was ever a time to get a little refreshed, this would be it. You just couldn't leave it, could you? You just couldn't leave it. I'm just saying, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Who wants to go to the Peterson Automotive Museum. Who wants to go eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Okay A six six ninety seven two five seventy. Who's going to the museum? Four tickets? Rodney, ooh four? So two different people are four different people?
Speaker 2: One person? One person gets four tickets. Yep, we got to go number nine. Then hello Rogan and Rodney.
Speaker 5: Listener, did you know? Am five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA Sports podcasts, shows like petros in Money. We are streaming Matt Dodger Talk with David.
Speaker 6: Vasse, the Dodger Podcast of Record.
Speaker 5: Clipper Talk with Adamuss, follow us all and many more. Just go to AM five seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Come on, Yeah, Chicago, Let's go, Come on, come on, come on. Always love it Rodney p Fred Rogan on a Throwback Thursday.
Speaker 1: David and Belflore a Way to Go. To celebrate the launch of totally awesome cars and culture from the eighties and nineties, We're offering you a day out at one of the world's best automotive museums, the Peterson Automotive Museum in LA could be for your family or you and three of your friends. You get four tickets here's what you got. Four tickets to the museum, including the newly opened Totally Awesome exhibit, Cars and Culture from the eighties and nineties. Ford tickets to the Underground Both Experience featuring over three hundred cars, including a selection of Formula one cars, eighty dollars worth of vouchers to spend at the on site Myers Manx Cafe.
Speaker 2: You got it. Congratulations. Have you ever been there? Fred? Have you ever been to Peterson? It's pretty cool, you know what.
Speaker 1: I've not been there. But we used to do is show called whip KNOTI whip ndick? Were the cars were the stars?
Speaker 2: Oh, whip nadik. You did a show called whip Nadick. Yeah, I produced. Wait a minute, Wait a minute, I didn't even know. I didn't even know you knew what a whip was. There's a lot you don't know about me, there it is. I guess, I guess because when Snoop called you the og, I guess I should have known that you knew what a whip was. That's exactly right. You should have known what a whip was. But whip is a name for a car. A lot of people don't know that, you know, I did it with a guy named Kip Epps. I had this idea for a car show when I was at NBC, and we did it in English and Spanish. It was the first time anybody tried that. So Whip Nadik was Southern California car culture where the cars were the stars. And we shot I would say, forty percent of the content for the show. We spread it out over what twenty six weeks at the Peterson Automotive Museum, and the stuff that came out of there was great. And all we did on the show Rodney Well, show cars and talk about him. That was the whole show in which people loved I'm sure because yeah, people are gay fascinated with cars obviously all ways and always will be. Yeah, people really liked it. And that's all we did. We talked about let's bring it back. Let's let's bring it back, Fred Whipknotic. Whipnotic was good. Let's bring it back, man, come on, you and I let's do it. Go on. We got to have somebody shoot the cars, shoot the cars. We got. You know, there's a bunch of you know now since I'm you know, since the time you shot that show, you know, the car explosion has happened. You know, there's so many dealerships and off brand dealerships and just private dealerships and people that do different things with cars and car clubs and all that kind of stuff is exploded. Whipnotic would be a hit today. Fred, We can think about bringing it back. Seriously. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now here's a question. There's two cars in front of you, a classic, a classic car or a brand new car. But the classic car is in perfect shape, the classic car or the brand new car.
Speaker 2: What car do you pick? Okay, it depends on what kind of classic car we're talking about. Is it a sixty four Impala that is in great shape? I tend to have a little favor to that. Or a deuce in a quarda you know back in the day, you get a deuce in the quarter that is in perfect shape, then I might I might do that El Dorado. I might want to do that, Fred. You know, old school Cadillac Man, some of those old nineteen fifty sixties cars are pretty impressive. But there is something to a you know, like a new car, a new you know, a new Escalade or a new something or a new range Rover. There's something to the new cars too. Don't get me wrong with the technology, that's the difference. Here's the question you're running. Yeah. On the left, we have a brand new Ford Bronco on the right, which they restored and brought it back. Yeah, I like the Broncos.
Speaker 1: Now, okay, that's a brand new Ford Bronco Richelle, just count one on the right. On the right, you have a restored Christine classic Bronco.
Speaker 2: What would you take if it's Bronco versus Bronco. I'm taking a new Bronco. You are going to be taking a new Bronco. Yeah, because I believe the technology in the Bronco with everything that bells and whistles, would be much better to do.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, let's bring on Ned Colletti and we'll ask that the same question.
Speaker 2: Ned.
Speaker 1: You have a brand new Ford Bronco on the left. On the right, you have a classic Bronco, but it has been restored to perfection.
Speaker 2: Which would you pick?
Speaker 4: Well, I heard Rodney's answer, but I would ask you to put a sixty nine Camaro in there.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's a different story, different car, different story. I'd take an old school Merrow over a new Camaro. Any day of the week.
Speaker 4: Hey, Amen, how you guys doing.
Speaker 2: We are great, We are great, ned, we are doing fantastic. Man, how you doing?
Speaker 4: I'm doing excellent. Oh where are you?
Speaker 2: Ned? Where are you?
Speaker 4: By the way, I'm selling London. I've been teaching here for Pepper nine for almost a month. I got one more week to go and then be back to the States.
Speaker 2: So you got one more week and then you're on break. So do you do you? So you're coming back? You're not going to stay over there and just kind of, you know, hang out in Europe for a little bit.
Speaker 4: Nah. I take the weekends and I do a little traveling. But I gotta get back. I got two cats back there. The cats are missing me.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, but they got nine lives, ned, they got nine hours, all right. Man.
Speaker 1: Now, when you sat in the chair, your teams were good. Sometimes I struggled.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers have.
Speaker 1: Looked just awful, even in winning, just awful. Now, it's a long one season and don't come out of it. But what do you do when you're sitting in the chair and the club is going through this?
Speaker 4: Well, you know you got the deadline coming, say, you got to be you know, you got to be wise with your choices. You can't. I'm sure Andrew will be. You know, it's you can never let a motion get in the middle of any decision you make, whether it's a negotiation or it's a trade deadline or whatever. So you got to see if there's a deal that can make you better. You know, nobody has really got enough to get through the end of July without trying to make your team better, even if it's a twenty sixth man in the roster. So you know you're always trying to do it. But just because you want to do it doesn't mean you're going to find somebody the other side that's going to help you out. And Andrew and the group has made tremendous deals in the last you know, ten eleven years, so you know people on the other side are probably a little bit aware of of how good they negotiate, and so it may be a little bit tougher, but you're always don't I don't care. If you've got a fifteen game lead, you haven't gotten to the playoffs yet, you haven't figured out how October is going to play. You're going to have to make a move and figure out how you make your team a little bit better or even more than a little bit.
Speaker 2: Better net, you know, given what Fred said, because the Dodgers are struggling on a lot of fronts, you know, the offensively, defensively, pitching wise has been scary of late. But yet you're still four and a half games up in the division. So does that factor into your decision making at the deadline, given knowing that you're going to have some of your horses coming back.
Speaker 4: Great question. You know some of their great acquisitions will be the guys coming off the il. When you look at the other teams and everybody's got injuries, and we've got players on the I L. But you look at the quality of the talent that they have on the I L, you know that's going to be that's going to be additions without giving up players. So that will fortify them, That will certainly help them. But again, when somebody hasn't pitched or played in the field or hit for a while, you know it's going to take them a while. And once somebody's been injured injured for a while, you don't know if it's chronic. You don't know if it's going to keep coming back. So you still, in my mind, you're still going to kind of guard against it. You know, they come back, they're what you expect. Okay, that's a bonus that'll help you. But in the meantime you almost have to think half and half life. You know what, they may not be back, or they may not be back to the level that we expect or the level that they've been at before. So how do we fortify it? Because once you get past this deadline, I mean, it's almost impossible to fortify and fill a need. It's not easy between now at the end of the month, but once you get to the month of August, it is really tough to fill a gap that you've got because somebody who is hurt isn't coming back, or isn't coming back to the same level, or somebody that is out for the rest of the year. You know, you've got to figure out now really a way to replace them to take you to the month of October.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll tell you what. That then answers the question we were kicking around earlier. Do you make a deal? According to you, yes, because you don't really know somebody's going to be.
Speaker 4: Back on healthy no, and you know, and you don't know, you know it takes. This is not like going to one of those big stores where you can just go down Aisle six and pick out a shortstop, or pick out a relief pitcher, or pick out whatever you need. It's not like that. People. You know, people know your people are paying attention throughout the game, so they know your strengths, they know your weaknesses, they know where your injuries have kind of dented dented your roster, and so you know most of them are going to hold out and make you pay not not not one hundred cents on a dollar, but maybe a dollar, maybe one hundred and fifty cents out of dollar to make you pay for it. So well, well, people can say, well, you know, they got to make a deal. They should do this, they should do that. You know that that's not even half of it. You've got galeries to considered, all sorts of things to consider. But you also have to find another team that is willing to do that, and that's not that's not easy to do. And we can all sit and say, well, they should do this, this guy's available. Well, who really knows who's available. Only the people in the chair knows who's available. And you know, the media can speculate, and we all speculate, and we all think, well they should go get this kind of go get that. Well that's fine in thought, but in reality that may or may not be reality. And I think that that you have to keep that in mind as you go through this, and you've got to make deals that are wise. And Andrew's done a great job with it and his staff, and but it's not an easy thing to maneuver. And in the in I'll see the olden days, you know, you could, you could take advantage. And not that I had the opportunity to do it because of ownership and things like that, but you could take advantage. And I've seen the Dodgers do it of teams that were in financial distress who would rather just move a good player because of the salary attached and maybe multi years or free agency, and they couldn't sign them to get some return. But that's you know, that's a little bit rarer today too, although you know there's still out there to some extent, but sometimes you could. You could, You could make a team make a deal because you could relieve them of the financial financial weight that they had on top of them. So there's all sorts of ways of looking at it. But I was always in the mood, hey, you know what we've got to add. I mean, I did it for nine years with the Dodgers, and I did it for eleven in San Francisco, and I think there was one year when I tried to Rafael for call to Saint Louis. It was one year that we were subtracting and not adding. So we were always in the mode, hey, how can we get a little bit better? Because you don't know what's coming, and you do know on your team who's who's a little bit injury finicky or who's not feeling great, and so they may be active. It just still got to you got to think about, well, if they're not active and another two and a half months, so Bolster, nine weeks, what are you gonna do. So you got to prepare for that now because now is the only time you can really do anything about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But that being said that what the Dodgers are facing is that they've got some guys that might be active in the next couple of weeks. And so you've got horses that you didn't have for the first half of the season coming back and Blake Snell, you got uh, you know, Blake Trining's coming back. You got some other guys coming back month. See, the injury is not as bad as as everybody thought initially. He's so he's coming back, and so is it a that's a that's a fine line of we're going to add, but yet we still got some horses coming that we already have on this roster. How do you deal with that? For instance, like there's there's been third basement thrown out there that the Dodgers are looking at McMahon from from from Colorado and some other guys. How do you deal with that? And and I guess no answer is right because you don't know. But when a guy is on the I l but he's coming back in a couple of weeks and the deadlines in a couple of weeks, what do you how do you decide and decipher through that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's why he's sit in the chair, you know, because you know the decisions are not easy, and you know you have you really depend on so many people. You depend on your training staff, you depend on medical to really give you an accurate view. You know who your players are and you know who's you know. I would have conversations with guys who've been out for a while, this time here and said, so where are you really? I mean I would talk to medical I would talk to the doctors and they would give me their opinion. But I would also talk to the player. You know, it was my responsibility to really know the player and really know how they thought and if they were going to exaggerate or if they were going to sell themselves short or wherever they were going to be to make that decision because you can't make a decison. It's tough to make a decision if you have eighty percent of the information. If you have fifty percent of the information, it's even tougher or less. So this is this is you know, who sits in this chair? How do they make those decisions? I was. I was always in the in the vein of look, I can't go back when I get to August twentieth, I can't go back to July twentieth and we do and make a deal or get somebody. So if I thought there was somebody who could help our club, I have to do it, because you know what, if you've got talent, you'll never you're never gonna have too much talent. That has been great teams, but you know, you never have too much talent. So if you've got to maneuver the roster or let somebody else go that's at the bottom of your relief core, or you know, an extra start who turns out to be an extra starting picture, you know, you deal with it. That's what it is. Every day you wake up knowing you know you're gonna have you got five issues when you wake up in the morning, and you're gonna have five more that you don't even know about yet before you go to sleep again. But you've got to figure out how you do it.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate that. But here we kicked this around earlier and that and I know this happens, and it happens in football all the time, especially right before the last cuts and the season starts. But Fred suggested that at some point, like if if a guy is struggling and we're like Tanner Scott, who's struggling, right, do do? Does the club go to him and say, hey, you might have a little inflammation in your arm and uh and he says, no, I don't, And you say, well, we're telling you do, and we're gonna put you on the I l for a little bit to reset, just to reset.
Speaker 4: That happens, right, Oh, I don't think that's ever happened with any tim I was down in LA, But yeah, you know it might happen. It might happen along the way. Yeah sure, you know. I mean some players you can send down, but some players, as you just said, you know, you need a reset.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The best way to reset is to stop doing what you're doing, whether that's an IL or some other thing. You know, take a couple of weeks off, go rehab and you know, go out to the Central Valley and pitch a little bit, you know, get it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I don't know that you know that may happen. I would probably guess. Yeah, I thought that could happen sometimes someplace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I get it, I get it. Nett always always a pleasure, man, especially when you talk to us from across the pond. Brother. We we certainly appreciate that man. You always bring the knowledge from the Big Chair, Brother, and looking forward to you coming back. When you come back, we got to have we gotta have a lunch of dinner.
Speaker 4: Man, absolutely, And you know what, maybe was it. I'll come in the studio and.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Do it absolutely anytime, all right, Now take it out because our buddy ned COLLETTI well, a traumatizing moment occurred across the country. Uh, and we have to get into it. If you've not heard about it, we're going to share it with you.
Speaker 5: We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer. Make AM five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast, a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple Car Play or Android Auto road.
Speaker 4: Trip all summer with LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, we're back on a throwback Thursday riding pet fred Rogan, Let's go baby, Let's finish strong. Freddie, Well, this is troubling. It really is.
Speaker 1: If you have kids and you're from southern California, I'm betting at one point or another you took him to chuck e cheese.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking that.
Speaker 1: Probably happened mm hmm to we all know. The pizza is not great. But thank god they have alcohol there because that's the only way you can get through it. The kids running around, they play games, you've drink, they can win prizes and then Chucky comes around.
Speaker 6: I'll challenge you, by the way, on the fact that the pizza is not great. I think the pizza is actually yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: Really, Kevin, I always felt that way. I was dead motion by Kevin and frand you said this.
Speaker 6: I don't know why Chucky Cheese came up. I think Jonas might have been in and we talked about him being Chucky at one point. Even Kates came in and say.
Speaker 2: Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait, Jonahs with Chucky at one point you didn't know that. No, yeah, Jonas, sorry.
Speaker 6: Good Yeah, Jonas Knock used to be Chucky at chuck e Cheese.
Speaker 2: Wow he was the rat yep.
Speaker 6: I think technically he's a mouse.
Speaker 2: But whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, okay, okay, Oh no to me, didn't I say the pizza tastes like cardboard?
Speaker 2: You did.
Speaker 6: Kates was so upset he kicked in the door and said, what the hell is Fred talking about?
Speaker 2: I don't know me running in This is troubling.
Speaker 1: There's a Chucky Cheese apparently in Tallahassee, Florida, and everybody loves the big mouse rat Chucky. The cops run in. They walk up to Chucky. They put him in cups and they take him out. Oh no, oh no, Chucky was arrested as Chucky and they took.
Speaker 2: Him out and the Chucky costume. Yeah, they took him out.
Speaker 1: And what made it more troubling is once they got him outside, they had a little pot on him.
Speaker 2: Oh and you know, Chucky can't be doing the wa frong with that. How do you get through the day. It's Chucky without a little thumb something. It's Chucky. You cannot be smoking the weed. So that didn't help.
Speaker 1: Then they took him outside and they take off his head because they took him out with his head on. They took out his off his head. You told by at the birthday party in Almo. Yeah, well that was almost smoking. Almost took off his head and the kids scream. Anyway, they took him outside and then he took off his head and they realized, yeah, we didn't make a mistake. That's what we're looking for because you know what Chucky does. Oh no, no, When Chucky's in chuck e Cheese, he looks for a credit card that might be left on the table, picks it up and he uses it. M So CHUCKI got arrested for using somebody's credit card for one hundred and five dollars.
Speaker 2: Run up one hundred and five bucks. Oh, he's a fraud. He takes he takes credit cards and uses it for his own own game.
Speaker 1: That's right, and you got come on, chucky. Maybe he was desperate, maybe he had a bad moment, maybe you know, who knows. Maybe he thought it was.
Speaker 2: His own credit card. He did it. He did it six months ago too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not like he's charging ten thousand dollars on the car.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but it was micro charges that up, fred, I'm serious. First times he did it, it was you know, they just caught the two times.
Speaker 1: I think there was a long California. I can't remember the exact number, and it maybe it's been changed. If you went into a store and stole less than a thousand dollars, it wasn't a big deal. It was like a misdemeanor.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, if it was less than a thousand dollars, it was a misdemeanor. Yeah, it's like over there was a felony.
Speaker 6: I think it was like nine hundred and fifty bucks. If I remember correctly, it was a pretty big deal. There's a lot of debate around that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could go in and start just grabbing stuff and walk out and it's aster mean, just give it back or whatever.
Speaker 6: Miss petty theft. Yeah, they just you know, what do.
Speaker 2: We do in the state.
Speaker 1: Somebody goes and steal stuff, that's all right, it probably needed it, you know, do something, have it.
Speaker 2: Don't even worry about it. Action. Yeah, yeah, unless you're on the store.
Speaker 6: Chucky just wants to buy some cheese, man, can Chucky just buy some cheeses?
Speaker 2: Inflation?
Speaker 6: Cheese is expensive these days?
Speaker 2: A right Chucky break?
Speaker 6: They have to arrested in front of the kids.
Speaker 2: The standards, the standards are lower now for Chucky. I guess so used to be. Yeah, it used to be a prestigious job to be Chucky.
Speaker 1: Now it's like they don't care who they get, you know what. And maybe the kids expected, maybe they're growing up in a different world. They expect to see somebody get arrested, and it just happened to be Chucky. You know, it's a gangster. We glorify the gangsters now and Chucky's a gangst.
Speaker 2: Chucky's a rat. He's a rat. So what do you expect? You know, He's not a cute puppy, you know. He's not a giraffe. He's not a cuddly a cuddly bear. He's Chucky, the rat mouse, whatever you want to call him. He's a borderline, he's a tweener. He's a rat. So you expect that out of Chucky.
Speaker 6: You know, if he was really a rat, he'd be like, it wasn't me, it was Mickey Mouse.
Speaker 2: He did it. What you're looking at me for? No, got the wrong one. The Lord, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: All right, good job today, Ronnie, thank you, great work, terrific work. Kevin really appreciate it. Good job that tomorrow we're only on for an hour because the Dodgers play the Red Sox, but we're on standby in cases a little rain in the Boston area to go longer. But as it seems right now, we're on for an hour tomorrow. Rodney will talk to you then let's do it.