Speaker 1: Starting off the Minnesota Goodbye with an email about how to meet people in a new town. Thanks for the daily entertainment. My question is for the entire show, how do you deal with moving to a new state and not knowing anyone? I just moved to a new state. I don't know anyone. My partner's coming out a few months. At the moment, I'm bored. I want to learn how to meet new people along with homesickness. Thanks for all you do. Some people are really good at it. I have a friend named Tricia. She moved from here to Colorado Springs and then Denver, and she didn't know anybody. But she was one of those people who a lot like you, Bailey. She would seek out women's groups like single friend women's groups and I don't know how you find them online, but to me, that would be really uncomfortable to walk into a room full of people and like, you know, like I guess I'm supposed to make friends with somebody. But that's just a natural to her, obviously, joining organizations like you want to join a you know, a pickleball league or whatever appeals to you. I found my friends through work. Yeah, I mean pretty much everybody that I've met when I moved to a new city is become a friend at work or a friend through work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of the people, most of the people I know are from some kind of community organization. So either I was in community theater and I met my friends through theater or through taking improv classes.
Speaker 3: A lot of my friends are from that though.
Speaker 2: I like what you said, Dave, Like you can find singles groups like on Facebook and it's like singles women's groups or whatever, and yes, it's awkward, but when you show up to the stuff, everyone's there for the same reason.
Speaker 3: So there's also like single women hiking groups.
Speaker 2: And then there's like I go to Silent book Club and you can make friends at Silent book Club.
Speaker 3: You just sit with people you don't know. Obviously you don't know anybody.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of different like activities and like community events outside of like you know, taking a class or a community education course or something where you can meet people.
Speaker 4: Jenny, any ideas, Yeah, I mean pretty much just the same as what Bailey said. Just find something that you enjoy doing, enjoin it. There's a Facebook group for absolutely everything, so I'm sure if you google like Minneapolis chess club or chess group or something like that. Like there'll be something on Facebook that you can find.
Speaker 2: And honestly, they'll probably be thrilled that they have like new people showing up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's definitely true. There's a lot of clubs that need new members. Like when I was in Toastmasters, we would get so excited when a new member or a guest would show up because we had the same core of like eight people. It's like Ukulele club. Yeah, we have the same core of like seven or eight people, but we always love it when somebody new shows up and we kind of fall over ourselves to make them feel welcome. So because we're so happy that they're there. So yeah, don't feel shy about joining some activity. Maybe I would like a cross country skiing club in the winter would be really cool for me. Or a hiking club. I'm probably gonna do Dave's Hiking club when the weather up and every Saturday, well not every Saturday, but like one Saturday a month or every two weeks, meet out at Apton State Park or somewhere, Like there's the Louisville Swamp Trail down by Jordan. Oh, there's one in Minawashta. That's probably about a four mile hike that I like to go on. So yeah, I would say that, or find you know, people that work to hang out with, because that's yeah.
Speaker 2: If you don't like you know, active things and you like, oh I just like sitting and watching movies at home, well there are movie watching groups too. You can go like see cinema a cinema group.
Speaker 1: And then after we'd go out for a little appetizer. Yeah, yeah, I'm can read this all the way through. Do not roll your eyes, do not react until I get to the end. I hope you're happy, like it or not. He's the man in charge, and I have to say, so far, I agree with almost every decision he's made. Some of these decisions. Some of these decisions have been very controversial, and I know a lot of people don't like him, but he surrounded himself with some of the greatest and most talented people in the world. There is absolutely no and his amazing leadership qualities, and I'm confident that history will judge him as one of the best, if not the very best, in this country that we have ever seen. I know not everyone's going to agree with me, but these are just a few of the reasons I support Andy Reid Go Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Wow, I knew that was going to be some kind of well.
Speaker 1: Cause I give you a heads up at the end. Yeah, that's the coach of the Chiefs. By the way.
Speaker 5: I thought it was going to be like something for you. Yes, that's what I thought. I love Dave Ryan.
Speaker 3: Dave Ryan is amazing.
Speaker 1: That would be I mean, sure, that would be fitting. Sure, this one says not a first time emailer, but it's been a while. I heard another listener email in about asking about sponsors, which is funny because a similar thought dawned on me yesterday. You guys have been advertising a lot lately for six one two injured, But what about fear of the flannel? You used to talk about those guys all the time, and you think they'd be competitors, would they not? Granted I know nothing about the subject, so forgive my ignorance. I just found that interesting. Similarly to how I wonder how a real estate agent would respond if a client expressed interest in a home that they were listening. But that's a question for Andrew. I'm not sure I understand the real estate part, to be honest, but these people like Nicolay Law, they paid to be a sponsor of Dave's Dirt. It's a difference between an endorsement and a sponsorship. So they say, you know, like if six ' one two Plumber was the endorsement, was the sponsor or, and then they didn't want to do it anymore, and so then Coca Cola became the sponsor. That doesn't mean we are favoring one and we are like rejected the old one. It just means that our deal ran out. And so Nicolay Law had a great run on KATIEWGB. They got a lot of responses. When TSR. The Injury Law was on our show, they got great responses to and then sometimes they'll be like, Okay, yeah, that was great, We're going to move our advertising money to something else, like a side of a bus or a billboard or whatever. And so that's kind of what happened. I mean Nicolay Law is they're brilliant with their advertising and they spread it around and I think that maybe that's a really good way to get your word out, is to don't just focus on one medium. Nikelay laws on billboard, they're on TV, they're on the radio. So they do really well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I think other people see how well these companies do or businesses and they're like, well, shit, we got to start doing that now too.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny because I read like a not a poem, but an ode. I guess I would say, like, you know, in the world of radio advertising, you'll go to somebody who owns, let's say, a bakery, and you'll be like, hey, would you like to advertise on the radio? And it used to be they wanted to advertise in newspaper and the reason was and nobody does advertising the newspaper anymore. I mean that literally some people do it. But the reason they love newspaper was because they could cut their ad out of the newspaper and tape it to the wall or tape it to their register. So if you own Jenny's Donut Shop and you advertise in the Star Tribune, you're going to spend a lot of money on an ad about the size of the palm of your hand. But you can look at it, cut it out, tape it to your register and go look at this. And you can't do that with the radio. So but radio is remarkably effective for advertising. Yeah, it just really is. I also resonated with your comment about only advertising for products you believe in. It makes you come across as genuine and believable. I can relate because I post a fair amount of cruise content and I've had travel agents say hey, can you shout out my agency? And I've had to politely decline because I've never used the business myself, so to speak on it wouldn't be genuine on my part anyway. Not to make this too long, just wanted to add some food for thought. Thanks for always being my go to podcast during the workday and always responding kindly to my emails. No need for a sticker, as I already have one all right with a side of dart lick that is from Kevin. Uh. Yeah, I I totally get and I appreciate that they want to shout out, but you don't know anything about their business.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I don't like that at all.
Speaker 4: I've had a friend who asked me to like go on Google and review their business, and I was like, I've literally never utilized it yet because I don't want to get specific to what it is. But I just haven't gotten to that part of my life where I would use their business, and so I was like, no, I'm not going on Google and writing a false ad, even though you're my friend.
Speaker 3: They're old folks. Home, what's they're old folks. They haven't used it yet, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I'm yeah, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 4: I've also had travel agents reach out to me and ask for my itineraries to trips I've done so that they can use it to to like give clients like insight because like they haven't been where I've been. And I was like, I'm sorry, Like you make money off of that. That's not fair that I would just give you my IT giving.
Speaker 1: Them your Yeah, what's funny in radio is that, you know, part of the reason that I get paid then I'm still here for so long is because I come up with a ton of ideas, and in radio, it is just the most common thing in the world to steal, shamelessly steal other radio stations ideas. That's why you hear bits like second Date Update on every top forty radio station in every city. I don't do Second Date Update because I don't want to sound like every other city. I do War of the Roses, which other radio stations have done. But that's because we've done it for twenty years. But when the Booger and Peanut Show signs on in Knoxville, Booger and Peanut and they steal War of the Roses, Well, I wouldn't do that if I was Booger and Peanut because I'd come up with my own shit. But a lot of radio shows they really I mean, I'll be honest with you. When Steve first worked here, Steve came from being a producer in Rochester twenty years ago. And this is not a knock on Steve, but what he learned, and it was preparing for the show was going online to seeing what other big radio shows were doing and stealing it the end. That was what Steve was taught was show prep, going online, finding out what this show is doing, this show is doing what the Dave Ryan Show is doing, and stealing it. That was their show prep. We rarely borrow an idea, but once in a while we'll go, oh, man, did you hear what Booger and Peanut are doing in Knoxville. They're doing a really funny thing called poop and Win. We should do poop and Win. That sounds really fun, and we do that maybe one bit a month, maybe two bits a month, Jenny, would you say, is something we saw that Booger and Peanut or somebody else is doing.
Speaker 5: Yes, I would say like once or twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was something else that's going to add to that, and I don't remember, but I think I've said enough. Moving on. It is Natalie from Rochester, and Natalie starts your email, Well, hey, Dave, is Natalie from Rochester. I noticed at the beginning of yesterday's Minnesota Goodbye you said it's Wednesday, February fifth, and state of the year as twenty twenty five. I might be the only one, but this is such a pet peeve. We should have all stopped saying two thousand in the year two thousand and nine. It should have jumped to twenty ten, twenty eleven, et cetera. Nobody called nineteen twenty five, one, nine hundred and twenty five, for fuck's sake, Our current year is twenty twenty five. Y'all know I'm right. I promise I'm not a Karen, but this one might be a fun one to discuss. Thanks for your great show and listening. Since I was a kid and loved being able to tune in any time with the iHeart app. I don't know why I said twenty twenty five. It sounds more dramatic, but yeah, it it's not important to me.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm trying to think now. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would always say like I didn't obviously grow up in the twenties of nineteen twenties, but nineteen nineties. Yeah, I wasn't say one thousand, ninety nine, you.
Speaker 5: Know, like, so that does that is funny? Twenty twenty five, twenty twenty five the year, Well, I guess.
Speaker 2: I mean, it literally takes you one extra syllable to say two thousand, then it does twenty, so it doesn't bother me necessarily versus one thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine would take way longer say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but nobody said that. Nobody said one thousand, nine hundred and seventy two, one thousand, nine hundred and ninety eight.
Speaker 3: I love one thousand, nine hundred two thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Twenty twenty Okay, you know what you are, Karen, No, I'm kidding. It's it's funny. What bothers some people, It bothers me when people say nuclear, like oh, there's a nuclear bomb or a nuclear war, nuclear waste, it's nu clear, new clear. Nucular has to do with the nucleus of an atom or a cell, because that has to do with the new clean. I think now I've confused myself. Yeah, but it's nuclear war nuclear.
Speaker 3: Right since George W messed it up.
Speaker 2: Every time I have to say the word nuclear, I see nuclear nuclear. Every time I have to say it, I think I said it wrong, and then I go back and I correct it, and I never know which one.
Speaker 1: And I'm the same way with nauseous because Cricket, my old girlfriend, when she was pregnant, she was nauseous. She's like, I'm nauseous. I'm like, no, you're not nauseous. You're nauseous. You're nauseated, Yeah, nauseated. And then every time I say nauseous, I have to think about whether it's nauseous or nauseous. I think I've grown out of it now, but it really annoyed because often Cricket was one of those people that even though she was wrong, she was never wrong. And that's one of the reasons we didn't last because she was I'll go ahead and say it. She was not the brightest bulb on the tree, but she was a very stubborn person. So imagine somebody who is not very bright, but they're stubburned. So it'd be like, oh, yeah, the sun comes up in the west, except on Thursday when it comes up in the east. What no, No, Oh, don't you fucking tell me? Because I know? And she would defend herself. I remember when she was pregnant with Beth, she said, it's going to be a boy. And I said, well, you really don't know whether it's going to be a boy or a girl. Don't you tell me? I know it's going to be a boy. And I'm like, well you really don't. Don't you even uh, don't you tell me? I know my body, I know it's going to be a boy, and it was a girl. So can you imagine dealing with somebody who was not the brightest bulb on the tree, but they were so set in their ways and stubborn. So I will admit freely when I'm rude, hold on, when I.
Speaker 3: Am out, sound out.
Speaker 1: Okay, when I get something and I misstate something and I get a fact incorrect, I will admit that I.
Speaker 3: Was yepkay, sound it out.
Speaker 5: Shit yourself trying to do the bit.
Speaker 1: It's a good bit though. Yeah, it's strong. Do you know where I got that bit? What do you want to know the truth? It's not my own original bit. It's Fonsie from Happy Days.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you guys know this?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: I knew that. I thought it was your bit.
Speaker 4: And then someone I think said it once, like said oh, you got it from this, and then I was like, that's not yours, and you're like, no, that's mine.
Speaker 1: It's totally because he's talking to Richie and he puts his he's like talking to Richie about something and he was he was wrong, and he's like Richie and he puts his hands on richie shoulder and he goes, Richie, I want to tell you I was im. I just want to okay, I wouldn't want to admit I was rude. And I thought that was funny. So I've always remembered that another bit I stole. And we're just talking about stealing bits. But I think it's fair to I grew up watching a lot of TV and game shows, and I think a lot of that infiltrated into my head, and I think that kind of like what has made me so fucking funny. The bit where I go yeah. Well, I put on a sock and a shoe and a sock and a shoe, and people go, why everybody puts on a sock and a sock and a shoe on a shoe, and I say, no, not me. I put on a sock and a shoe and a sock and a shoe because if the house caught on fire and I had to run outside and it was raining, you'd be in a sock and a sock. I'd be in a sock and a shoe. I could hop around and stay dry. I got that from watching All in the Family when I was a kid. I didn't come up with that bit. And maybe once in a while some old fart will be like, Dave, if I know where you got that bit. I'm like, you and me are the only ones that know that we are either.
Speaker 4: Of those bits, like long running through those shows just one time, okay, So that makes it easier because I was like, if they were constantly doing it, I'm surprised more people haven't called you out for that.
Speaker 1: But I got another one that I like to do that people don't know I stole this one. Did I do that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I stole that one too. Yeah, but a lot of people what.
Speaker 3: They've never heard.
Speaker 1: They've never heard it.
Speaker 3: Did I do that?
Speaker 1: No, I forget that.
Speaker 3: That's a joke.
Speaker 1: Really, that's a joke. Talon used to do that. When she's like, did I do that? I never even watched that show? What was it? Growing not Growing Pains? Family matters, Family matters with her call, never watched that show, not even once. All right, that is it for the Minnesota Goodbye. We'd love to hear from you. Send your emails into Ryan Show at okay, hold on Ryan Show at.
Speaker 3: What double bit
Speaker 5: More of a constipation sound than you have