Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue Insider. Dick Gabriel with you on a Tuesday edition of our program. We have got a busy night ahead of us. This is going to be a lot of fun coming up. Your other comments from Mark Stoops of course about to win over Southern Miss and the upcoming South Carolina game. But at the bottom of the hour, Jojo Kemp will join us. And you remember Jojo part of that three headed running attack back when Kentucky had him at Benny Snell at Boom Williams and Jojo had a lot of great moments at Kentucky, but probably best known for his efforts in the win over South Carolina in twenty fourteen. It was really the first signature win for Mark Stoops. That is to say, fans rushed the field because it was a huge win. They beat Steve Spurrier, came from behind twice down fourteen points, and Jojo with three touchdowns one hundred and thirty plus yards. And he did it primarily out of the Wildcat, which is a formation that people seemed to when they first saw it. They really liked it because it was working. Then they got mad at it because it didn't work. At Kentucky and then it did work. One of the reasons they got mad about it was that Benny Snell sophomore year, he had done so well with it his freshman season. His sophomore year, Benny would rush things through the first four or five games. He would take the snap and then just slam it up in there for no game, and everybody got so mad about it. And I heard one guy say, oh, they're running the sunny play over and over. Well, it's the same concept, yes, but it's not the same play. It's different literally every play because if it's run properly. And I talked with Jojo about this on and off the air, there's a pause, there's a beat. You take the football if you're the quarterback and in that position you are, when you take the snap and you read you just take one thousand and one, when you see how the line reacts and moves and shifts, what the d line does, and then you look for the opening. And if you're a gifted back, as Jojo was, as many snow was, you go and Jojo went all night and South Carolina never adjusted. So Jojo will open our broadcast on Saturday for the UK Sports Network something new we're trying. Bill Ransdell did it last week, Jojo will do it this week and talk about his big performance. And so while we had him here in the garage, we just threw a headset on him and had a long conversation with him about his career, about what's going on right now with the wildcast. So that comes up at the bottom of the hour. Our number two, Nick binge Oonne, joined us, the UK baseball coach whose life has been a bit of a whirlwind literally since the College World Series victory, or the victory that got him into the College World Series. You know, working ahead the next year, this coming season, and this is a vital time of the year for all baseball programs because fall baseball is when you really build your team, pull things together and figure out what you have. By the time you get the spring, you've got to have a pretty good idea, not lockdown, but a pretty good idea of what you're going to do and what kind of team you're going to put on the field and how you're going to do it. You finish that up with intersquad games in the spring. But Kentucky always has and I know a lot of other schools do an intersquad series. They call it the Fall World Series, the Blue and Black World Series, and figure out what's what. So they're just getting into meetings and individual workouts. So we'll talk to Nick Menji on about coming off that trip to the College World Series and what he expects this coming season. They have more than two dozen new players who came through the portal also coming up and out. Number two, Colby Wilson. You might not fully recognize the name, but you've seen her on Fox fifty six, one of the sports anchor reporters who has lived and worked literally all over the country. Was a college soccer player, but has lived and worked in several different cities and markets. So we'll get to know Kolby a little bit better. I've gotten a knowwhere just to speak to her and say hi at press conferences and games and everything. But it'll be her her first time coming up on the show. So it's a busy show, busy night, and I'm looking forward to sharing that with you. Closer to home. Last night, U came in soccer played to a draw with Virginia Tech, ending two to two at the Bell Soccer Complex. So the Wildcats now are one to zero and one, and it was a game in which they went all in for Miller. That is a basically a nonprofit organization designed to help hospitals, community people in general struggling to struggling to improve the quality of life for kids impacted by pediatric cancer special needs medical requirements. So that was something of a fundraiser last night. In the draw with Virginia Tech, it was only the second time those two teams have ever played, and believe it or not, the last time they played was nineteen ninety three and guess what, they tied one to one back then in two overtime periods. So the record right now for those teams zero zero and two. Speaking of zero, Florida State now is zero and two in college football. Hope you got a chance to watch a little bit of that game last night with Boston College. This is the team Florida State that has decided it's just too big and too important for the ACC and they're trying to sue to get out. This won't slow them down at all. But if you're looking for I don't know, sympathy or support, you can have a hard time getting it because right now Florida State not looking good even with dj Eagle Leleley, the quarterback who started at Clemson, transferred to Oregon State, came back to the ACC now playing at Florida State, and the Seminoles have dropped two straight down, including that loss to Georgia Tech in Dublin. So now they're going too in the conference. And there's a story on the Athletic how they could still go to the playoff or something like that. Well, anumerically, mathematically sure, but they're just not very good, so that ain't gonna happen. And by the way, for Boston College, win number one for Bill O'Brien, who became the head coach back in mid February because Jeff Halfley remember this, he left, I mean up and left to become the defensive coordinator from my Green Bay Packers. That was a shocker, so much did he make the move, because more college coaches are leaving now if they've got a place to go thanks to the portal and nil, but he did it in February. But O'Brien rings up and win in his first game as a head coach at bc LSU fans likewise disappointed by a third consecutive season opening loss under Brian Kelly. This one wasn't a crusher, but it got away from the Tigers. There's no question about that. On Sunday night, losing to USC on the last second field goal and LSU missed a lot of opportunities. And it's interesting that what has come out of that one is not as much talk about USC winning the game as LSU losing and Brian Kelly's reaction the table pounding anger in his postgame news conference.
Speaker 2: We had some guys played their butts off tonight and we're sitting here again. We're sitting here again talking about the same things about not finishing when you have an opponent in a position to put them away. But what we're doing on the sideline is feeling like the game's over, and I'm so angry about it that I got to do something about it. I'm not doing a good enough job as a coach, and I got to coach him better because it's unacceptable for us not to have found a way to win this football game.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous and.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 1: Somebody who pointed out he was so angry he forgot to speak with the Cajun accent. Not a bad line. Look, they're going to be fine, and you don't lose the players, especially Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Jayden Daniels like LSU did, and expect to maintain or even get better right away. They're gonna be fine, no question about that. But I can see whether they're frustrated. If you watch the game, you can see it too. Speaking of frustrated, Pat Forty pointed this out on SI dot com. How'd you like to be the mayor of Houston right now? You're a college football fan. The Cougars Houston lose to UNLV twenty seven to seven under first year head coach Willie Fritz at Houston. Then Rice, which is in Houston, if you didn't know that, coming off its first six win season in a decade, loses the SAM Houston State thirty four to fourteen. The Houston Christian Huskies fall to SMU fifty nine to seven. North American University. I'd never heard of this in NAI school in the suburb of Stafford, Texas loses seventy seven nothing to Stephen F. Austin and the second half two five minute quarters because the score was seventy to nothing at halftime, And of course Texas A and M loses as well, so not a great day in the city of Houston, the mayor and any other college football fans, and one pro football note, I wasn't aware that the Tennessee Titans had spent in the offseason as much as they did. They spent two hundred and twenty eight point two million dollars. The controlling owner, Amy Adams Strunk, talked about the fact that she has unapologetically high expectations for the football team at every aspect of the Titans organization unquote. All of that, of course, puts enormous pressure on former Wildcat Will Levis. But the comment making the rounds from Will was when he talked about pressure.
Speaker 4: Pressure is a privilege, and I feel like I've always felt that.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: The more that you're focused on what other people are going to be thinking about you based on how you act and what the outcome of your actions are, than the more that it can weigh on you. But I think I'm just more solely focused on myself and the people here, and I know as long as I'm just doing my best to work to get myself to the level I know I can get too, then that's all I can do. So pressure, Pressure's cool. Pressure means there's a lot of eyes on you, and there's a lot of people don't count on you to succeed, and I welcome it with open arms.
Speaker 1: That's Will Levis and his Titans open up in Chicago with dub Bears on Sunday at one o'clock. And how about this. The Bears have named Caleb Williams, a rookie quarterback, the overall number one pick, one of their team captains. How about that a rookie quarterback is one of the team captains. There are a total of eight for the Bears, and the team has announced that Caleb Williams is one of them. Interesting when we come back, Mark Stoops opens the week with comments about his team's went over Southern Miss and a look ahead to South Carolina at the bottom of the hour. Jojo Kemp here in the garage on six point thirty WLAP Welcome back coming up in just a few minutes. My conversation here in the garage with Jojo Kemp. He had that huge game against South Carolina back in twenty fourteen, three touchdowns, wildcat formation snapped the camp and he goes in touch down Kentucky straight up the middle of the Wildcat formation, Kentucky erased two fourteen point deficits, and then, of course, with a score tied at thirty eight, with a couple of minutes left, Bud Dupree made the game winning play.
Speaker 5: Steps up with the pocket.
Speaker 1: It's deflected up into the air. It's intercepting duck down Kentucky. Budd dupre caught it right round.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: He flipped it into the air and dupre caught it in full stride as called by Tom Leach and Jeff Chorus. So we'll talk to Jojo about that and more coming up in a few minutes. And then our number two, Nick Menji on Kentucky's baseball goes. Remember this one.
Speaker 6: Here's a swinging of drive today plaff Beckels Nixon looking up. Daily win it, Daily wins it, Daily wins it. Kentucky defeats at Sea State five to four on a walk off home run five Mitchell Daily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Darren Hedrick calling Mitchell Daily's walk off home run as the Cats win their first College World Series game ever. So we'll catch up with the UK coach, but let's talk about Kentucky football and the Wildcats coach Mark Stoops, who talked to the media yesterday, and we'll be hearing from him all week as well as his assistants and players about what happened against Southern misson what he hopes happens against South Carolina, which has a talented quarterback Leonoras Sellers, who can throw it and run it.
Speaker 7: A dual threat guy. He's big, he's strong, he can throw the heck out of the ball down the field. You know you saw that, so you saw. Do you see the arm talent?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 7: I think a very good football player that is going to get better with every stap takes, every game, every rep, you know, he'll improve. And a very good, you know, physical guy with a lot a lot of attributes.
Speaker 1: You know, I could run, he could throw, and of course Kentucky fans for years have seen dual threat quarterbacks come in and make Kentucky look bad. Of late, I thought the Wildcats have done a better job at that. But you know, you just can't let a guy escape the pocket and move the chains and that sort of thing. I will say that last week, from what I understand, I didn't get to see much of the South Carolina game. The game Cockus did not look very good against Old Dominion and if not for an Odu fumble late in the game. Aaron Gerstown was telling me last night, South Carolina loses that game and Old Dominion moving up from FCS one Double A, has had a really good program through the years, but apparently South Carolina just did not look good. And Sellers himself modest numbers at best, ten of twenty three throwing the football for one hundred and fourteen yards, it's an average of five yards per completion completed only forty three and a half percent. His long was forty one yards, so subtract that from one fourteen and it's even more modest. And I'm being kind Raheem Sanders twenty four carries eighty eight yards, about three and a half yards per carry, but his long was twenty one, So look at twenty three for what sixty seven yards? Sellers himself ranted twenty two times for sixty eight yards, his long twenty three, So then you're talking about twenty one carries forty five yards. So he kept plays alive and I'm sure he moved the chains more than once. But he was your number two rusher for South Carolina and that win over Old Dominion. Jared Brown a wide receiver had one carry for sixteen yards, so that worked Juju McDowell back at two carries for sixteen yards, so they were not very productive at all on offense. Then Drivius Jacobs two catches for fifty nine yards with a long of forty one. They just had a hard time moving the ball. So Kentucky, in terms of what we saw and what we know about South Carolina outperformed the game Cocks in just two and a half quarters. And it was tough. And I said the same thing that the Mark troops between segments when we were doing the postgame show that I was disappointed, and I know they were entirely disappointed they didn't get to see the backups get in because that was likely going to happen against Southern Myths.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it does bother me that we didn't get a lot of reps for some guys that we could have gotten some reps. You know that there's some players that worked extremely hard that we wanted to see in a game like situation. We have a big lead, you know, so that part of it, you know, is disappointing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you got to wonder when are they going to get a chance to empty the bench again because Southern Miss just wasn't very good. They might turn out to be good, but did not play well at all on Saturday night, and Kentucky had so much to do with that. Wild kids just had him overpowered and outmanned. But there was an opportunity to look like an opportunity to get almost everybody in the game. I'm still in press. Kentucky played I think seven true freshmen in that game. But they do need to build depth on that old line. We know there's depth on the defensive front, and they were able to get some rotations done and in the secondary as well, And at one point Hunting Jeff pointed out with Tom Leach that they had rotated most of the back seven on defense. So one other thing that's disappointing as well is keep in mind if you look at if if you care about this stuff, stats are going to be kind of skewed all year offensively because when we look at average plays per game, now you got to remember the fact that they played only half a game in the opener. So if you look at average plays per game for Kentucky this year, it's got to come with an asterisk. Of course, there was a shutout and you held the other team to five yards. Rushing up next, Jojo Camp here in the garage, six thirty WLAP, Welcome back, coming up Saturday. As you know, it's the Cats and the Game Cocks, and we're trying something new this year on the UK Sports Network on we hope all of our games, but at least most of them, will open the game with a celebrity monologue. Last week it was Bill Ransdell, who quarterback the eighty four team to a Bowl victory and to celebrate the fortieth anniversary, Bill opened our season. Coming up Saturday night or Saturday afternoon. Jojo Kemp, who ran over around and threw the Game Cox for three touchdowns and mark Steuben's first signature win back in twenty fourteen, we'll do the honors. And we decided while we had him here in the garage working on that we would chat about that game. So here's my conversation with Jojo Kemp right here in the garage. Well, Jojo Kemp, welcome to the garage. Good to have you here in person.
Speaker 3: Hey, I appreciate it. I appreciate it. Thank you for having me and.
Speaker 1: You will hear Jojo open our broadcast on Saturday as the Wildcats take on South Carolina. I gotta think that that big game you had back in was it twenty fourteen?
Speaker 3: Yes, twenty fourteen?
Speaker 1: How often do you think back on that game you had? You had good games throughout your career, but that one especially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, you make me feel old. Man. I can't believe it's already been ten years that fast.
Speaker 1: You look like you can still play.
Speaker 3: I know I still can't.
Speaker 8: You know we still Yeah, man, we still working out man, at your local you know, playing fitness is we've been working on at esport and we still getting it in. I feel like I could still go out there, you know, rush over one hundred yards.
Speaker 1: We had a conversation before we started recording about the Wildcat formation, and it's frustrating when it doesn't work. Because you and I were talking. You know, someone who doesn't run it properly slams it up in there and it doesn't. It doesn't go for anything. But you just got to take that one beat and let everything unfold in front of you. Yes, how difficult was that for you to to learn as a running back because your instinct is get it and go.
Speaker 3: Yes, you want what tough.
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 8: I mean, you know at first, you know, doing especially during practice and things like that. You know, when you first get back there, you know, it's like a different feeling from lining up you know in a in a pistol or ice formation. You know, you just want to get the ball and just go hit the whole full speed. Yes, you know, one hundred miles per hour. But with the you know, wildcat formation, you at the quarterback position, so that you know that's the second you know matters. So it just helps you just stay patient, letting the line develop, you know, you know transform, and then you know, once you see the whole, you know, then you hit it and you know you attack it with some aggression and you know, run behind your paths.
Speaker 1: And like you said, you line up, you're the quarterback. You got to take the snap and you got to obviously it sounds silly to say, but you got to concentrate on catching that ball. You don't want to cheat and lift you like you're a golfer. You don't want to lift your head.
Speaker 8: Was that an adjustment for yes, because you know at the quarterback position, you're lined up you know at five yards. You know, when you're in a pistol, you're like seven, So those those two yard makes a difference. You know, it's a game of interest, so that's gonna you know, take some time to you know, let that formation develop and you know, let the line do that thing so you can, you know, run behind your pass and do what you have to do.
Speaker 1: One of the other things I like about it, and I'm a bit of an hour I like the wildcat because when it's works, it's great. Old linemen don't have to try to force the defender in a certain direction. I mean they can they can. You know, if a defender wants to go to his left, you just take him left a little more exactly, which opens things up on the right and gives you a chance to.
Speaker 8: Read that exactly. You can you can read the floor floor of the of the line. You know, if the lineman is letting him take it that way, then you can just see the cutback. And then if it's hitting backside, you just gonna hit backside. You know, you just reading the line and you know, just going off for instance.
Speaker 3: You know, that's what makes us running backs right absolutely.
Speaker 1: Kentucky and South Carolina has become a really vital series for both teams. I mean, every win, as we know, it's huge. Every conference win is huge. Kentucky, you guys have gone on the road and beaten them there, they've come up here in one. But did you get that feeling with South Carolina like you guys were fighting for the same turf in the s SEC East?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, for sure. South Carolina was you know, a special moment for me. Just when we beat him in twenty fourteen, that was you know, that was a you know, a real, you know, cool exp But I think the most memorable win for me also was that very next year. Yeah, because we went to their place the year before, they thought it was a flu.
Speaker 3: We beat him in a wildcat.
Speaker 8: So I felt like that very next year being able to get that first SEC role win at South Carolina was very memorable as well.
Speaker 1: You know, as you know, doing the postgame interviews, yes that I do here at home, we go upstairs to an interview room. On the road, we do him in the locker room, and I remember Jojo walking into that locker room after that game and the wall of noise. You know, you all had sung the fight song and coaching made a speech, but then the music cracked up. And you guys started dancing and hollering. I have never been in a louder locker room. I eventually was down in Florida, but that night, man, you guys partied.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it was.
Speaker 8: It was a great experience, man, And it's just awesome to see what the program is you know today is it's wonderful. You know, all that hall work it definitely paid off, and to see what the program is today is remarkable.
Speaker 1: They're standing on your shoulders, you and your teammates from that year you were one of coaches. I think that that win at home over Carolina was his first signature windows.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, And in the environment, you know, you see that stadium was electrified. Man, that's when the song Road Street came all about, came alive. You know, chron helmets all black, Why Not Us? You know, it created a different environment, just a different culture around.
Speaker 3: You know, Lexington, you did.
Speaker 1: The post game TV interview for the SEC Network. That's where Why Not Us was born.
Speaker 3: The game.
Speaker 1: Were you sitting on that in your mind or did that just come to you?
Speaker 8: That's just it just came. It's one of those things just came to me, man. You know, you just you just in the moment. You know, we you know, every day a practice, you know, we we put in that work with your you know, with your brother, and you know, this is something that we, you know, we work hard for. So to be able to, you know, be able to fight that type of game, in that type of environment and be able to you know, get over the hump and come out with a with a victory.
Speaker 3: That was that was that was That was awesome.
Speaker 1: Makes it a little easier to go back to work, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes it a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Right, What was your reaction when you saw how why not us? Took hold in the big, big blue nation. It's still resonating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, why not? You know, why not? Why not us? You know, like the wildcats?
Speaker 1: You know, I mean you noticed, you had to notice. The next day, I'm thinking that you look around and people are saying it or tweeting it or whatever.
Speaker 8: I know, it's awesome and you know, people still saying it today. You know, why not us? And and that's what we're gonna need to do, you know, weekend and week out especially you know, uh, this Saturday, Well, let's.
Speaker 1: Go back to that that big game before we look ahead because they want to hear what you have to say about this year's team. But it was spurriy or wasn't it. Oh yeah, I mean, did you guys think much about that? Fans eat up with it, but I know you did after the game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, after the game. Not much during the game. But you know, you know, Steve Spurr is a great coach. You know, Coach Spurr is a great coach. And I think he had enough of it once we beat him at our home and then we went to their house and beat him. I think he said, all right, I've had enough. He said, I have enough. I can't get a win over the wad As. I think it's time to hang it up. So they take that as a victory as well.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, man. Two of the biggest plays, uh one involved you. One involved Ryan Timmins. So let's listen to Ryan Timmins the flea Flicker, which started with you and the Wildcat and Patrick Coles hit a wide open Ryan Timmins, and I'll drop that in there. Do you remember much about that play and having unfolded and you told me earlier that you thought you guys could get that in the game plan.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, in the game plan, I definitely thought it was gonna get it because I knew they didn't see it coming. I mean, I knew I wasn't gonna be able to get the ball to Ryan Timmis. I can't throw, yes, Yeah, so we flipped the batty Patrick. You know, but what I remember about that block. If you watch that but I remember about that play, and you watched that play closely, you can see me, I have to block a d N yeah, And I mean, I mean I almost got malled on that play. So it's like I had to take everything out of me just to seal this block just so we can get this playoff. So I remember that player, and that was I remember one of the times where it was like it's.
Speaker 3: Me versus him.
Speaker 8: You know, you're proud of that, yeah, man, And being able to get that playoff and in that environment, in that game situation, it was awesome.
Speaker 3: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't remember you being known for your block and that you that you weren't a blocker. But that's something that you guys need to be able to do, and people don't understand that. Some running backs when you're wondering where is this guy? Well, it might be a situation where you need a block or a chip from a running back and maybe this particular guy can't do it very exactly, so they sell out. Did you take a whole lot of pride in your block?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I took a lot of pride because I knew it was gonna it was gonna come to that as well.
Speaker 3: I knew that play.
Speaker 8: I was definitely gonna have to look, you know, front side on that d ND because he was gonna come free. So I definitely was thinking about that before the play even started, like the.
Speaker 3: Time is now, the time is now, I have to bike down. I had to bike down.
Speaker 1: And you did it. Another huge play. You didn't score. Everybody in the stadium, including you, thought you were going to score. There was a huge play out of the wild. Okay, let's listen to that one. I'll never forget that play ended. I was almost parallel on the other side of the field from you. Were just laying there, and if you look at the video, one of your teammates comes over to help you up, and what did you.
Speaker 3: Do get away? You know, let me, let me, let me take a breath.
Speaker 8: But listen though, if you look at that if you look at that play and look at me before the ball snap. You see, I got my hands on the hill like I'm like, I'm trying to catch a breathe. Yes, before the play, I'm signaling Blue to come in emotion. He's not coming in emotions because his foot is.
Speaker 3: On the line. I'm just all over the place.
Speaker 8: But again, one of those plays where you know I had to you know, you know, dig deep.
Speaker 3: I had to dig deep and you know, make it happen.
Speaker 8: But like that whole game and just watching film, breaking down film and just just seeing all this little details that it's pretty funny. And it's something that me and my boys laugh to this, like laugh about to this day. It's it's something that we all sit around the group and just while we're playing pick a ball. You know you got you know, Alan Montgomery is like, don't get tired. You know this, you know what I'm saying. Just little things like that. It's something that we joke about to this day.
Speaker 1: Right now, more of my conversation with Jojo Kemp right here in the garage up next here in the Big Booming Siders six thirty WLAP, We're talking with Jojo Kemp, he of course former Kentucky wide Well, once a Wildcat, always a wild kid. But a huge game against South Carolina in twenty fourteen at Corgerfield. Back then it was Kinmiwell Stadium. And before we move on to this year's team, one last question about that game. Bud Dupree's interception and then pick six. Basically it was one of the shortest pick six as ever, but one of the biggest as well. What do you remember about that seeing that unfold?
Speaker 8: Man, I was I was thinking about not going overtime. Yeah, So for Buda Prie to get that and seal again, seal the game, that was awesome. So all we knew we had to do just get the ball back and you know, hold them again and you know, run a clock out because honestly, man, I did not want to go to overtime.
Speaker 3: Man, but I did not want to go to overtime.
Speaker 1: One of the biggest game plays of the night was a very short game that you picked up that meant first down, game over. Yes, tell me what do you remember about that because you fought for that yard?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, for sure, for sure. Again, just one of those things where you got to dig deep. It's just how bad do you want it, you know, it's it's it's plain and simple.
Speaker 3: So you know, I had.
Speaker 8: I just it was one of those deals where again, you know, we worked so hard and we put so much work in this game. When you get moments like that, it's time to you know, seize the moment and you know, get the job done. You know, just just think about just how special that night were with all the fans.
Speaker 3: It was sold out game under the lights.
Speaker 8: Uh, the field like that was you know, it's like a Senderella story, you know.
Speaker 3: So man, uh it was.
Speaker 8: It was a wonderful experience and and I'm just happy and just where the program is today and just just excited to just see how much energy around you know, Kentucky football.
Speaker 1: You know, I remember running it on the field. I didn't run, but worked my way out there to talk to some players. But before I looked over in the end zone and there was Mark Stoops with his hand on his zip, just watching the crowd byself, you know. So I walked over and talked to him and he was just taking it all. So but now he's in his twelfth year. That's hard to believe. He is the dean of SEC coaches. Uh started off with a win although only played two half quarters basically, But what have you seen from.
Speaker 3: This year's team?
Speaker 8: Man, I see a bunch of hungry guys, Like out there, I see a bunch of hungry guys that's excited to play for coach Stoops. And you know, with Coach Stoops, I know what type of coaches is. So just to see the team that you know, those guys put together and see where this team at today and how they responded with you know, with the weather, and you know, just just to see how focused those guys were, because I was in the locker room this past Saturday, so to see how focused and none distracted these guys were, it was. It was awesome. And you can just see the the culture of this team. So I'm excited for this year. I'm excited to see this team, you know, week in and week out.
Speaker 1: Talking to Jojo Kemp Kentucky running back from early in the Mark Stoops era and now seven wins, which when when you first got to Kentucky, people would have held parties and celebrated seven when now fans expect so much more exactly, and you just mentioned the culture, and so much of this is because of what you and your teammates did ten years ago. That's gonna make you all really proud when you get together. I know you're so happy for where they are now. I can tell in your voice and your smile. Oh yeah, but now the expectations are so much greater.
Speaker 3: Yes, for Kentucky football exactly. And that's always supposed to be.
Speaker 8: You know, much has been given much as expected, so that's always supposed to be. And and I believe these guys are handled it really well, So I'm excited. You know, these guys work really hard. You know, these guys trained. I know the you know, the coaching staff, the guys on the training staff, coach with, coach ed and coach hell condition yeah, I know the type of people that they're surround it around. So you know, it's not a dot in my mind, they're not They're going to get the job done this year.
Speaker 1: You still live in Lexon uh your sales but obviously you're you're a huge fan. Tell me what life's been like after I mean, still a little bit of a celebrity people see in the parking live.
Speaker 8: When oh yeah, you know, right right now, just you know, continue to make a difference, you know, right here in the community, hanging out, playing pick a ball a lot with the guys over at kirk Levington, you know, hanging out with my surgeons, doctor Hamilton, the Ortho legend. Just you know, just you know, living life and you know, adulting. You know, you know, I got got property. Uh, doing a little side like the Lord on the side, you know, growing up, you know, and and you know, enjoying some you know Kentucky sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, well you're you're rocking a UK hat right now.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: You come to be in the locker room prior to the opener.
Speaker 8: Just you know, hanging out sometimes, you know, I go out, just hang out with the guys. Uh, get in contact with Susan Slacks or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know, just it's me, It's Jojo.
Speaker 1: Well that's a great night for that. And then some of the other former guys came back and and were recognized. But how many times have people asked you, like like I do, about that South Carolina game, Because, like I said, that wasn't the only game where you excelled, but that probably was your best game all things considered.
Speaker 8: Right, Yeah, yeah, especially the environment and the top of victory.
Speaker 3: It was ofh for sure one of the most memorable.
Speaker 8: But like I said, I think that next year unfortunately again South Carolina away that first SEC role where was remarkable as well, because you know, it was a lot of people doubting us, or even the Louisville game when they had Lamar Jackson and nobody in the country had us winning, and then.
Speaker 1: We came or touchdown underdogs, yeah, and.
Speaker 8: We came in, went in and got that w So I think the games where we were, you know, underdogs and we were it took everyone in the locker room and the facility to believe we was going to get it done. I loved those type of wins yea, because it's like it's only us that believe.
Speaker 1: Well, and here it is when you're on the road to South Carolina. People may not understand there's a lot of tough places in the SEC, but when that place is rocking Williams Bryce and you're going into that end zone with the with the tall backdrop, when it's so loud and you all shut them down, didn't you exactly exactly? It was almost empty when you all walked up.
Speaker 8: You go in there is it's loud, and you know everybody they party hard and then you know, halftime, third quarter, you can hear a penny drop. I love that feeling, you know, it's I'm sorry, you know, no, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Like I said, when they opened that locker room door and that wall of sound hit me, it was like I could barely hear my producer through the radio.
Speaker 3: I'm talk to you that night exactly, but that.
Speaker 1: We had a ball Jojo Kimp, thanks for coming by the garage. Maybe i'll say you game night Saturday. And I appreciate the fact that you're opening our broadcast.
Speaker 8: Yes, I really appreciate thank you for having me. I really appreciate you, you know, for you know, continue to you know, reach out.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm here.
Speaker 1: And he was here in the garage and we loved having him. And again listen for him opening our broadcast this Saturday afternoon. And we're back with our number two. Nick Minjeon will join US Kentucky's baseball coach to tell us what's up right now with the team coming off the College World Series that's next here on the Big Winsider six thirty WLAP there is coach in three two Welcome back to the Big Luinsider and joining us now as a guy I bumped into on the sidelines at the football game the other night, no surprise. UK baseball coach Nick Bengew coach is always a pleasure to see you there, and it always strikes me that you need to be on that sideline at least for a while. Don't you just take it a feel for that football game.
Speaker 5: Well, there's no doubt about it. I mean, that's a great seat number one. But then also I think it's really important that we all support each other and I think we all know how important our football program is to this institution. And got a chance to also take Reeves and his buddy Reeese to the volleyball match on Friday night and see that awesome venue. So it was a good weekend of UK athletics, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know, I got to tell people, you're not down there just shaking and hattying and seeing to be seen. You're into those games.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: You're hollering, your questioning the officials. You're having a good time.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love it. I love the intensity, I love the physicality, I love the speed. I love all of those things that go into that. So when you sit there and you think about all those things from an offensive, a defensive, I mean.
Speaker 10: Just from a coaches standpoint.
Speaker 5: I mean there's times where I'm standing right there next to coach Doups, I haven't knew anything about football, would recommend to play, but I don't, so I'll keep my mouth shut.
Speaker 1: Just one more football analogy. I remember Gary Henderson telling me that after Kentucky upset LSU, when LSU was the top ranked team in the country in O seven, there were people phoning the baseball coaching staff that night to commit to play baseball. I mean, there's a ripple effect, true ripple effect.
Speaker 5: Isn't there? And I was at that game, assistant here, I was at that game, and I was actually sitting with recruits at the time, So just just see them and to share that. And I know, you know, I wasn't nice and common poise.
Speaker 1: I was pretty well, Yeah, anytime you can beat LSU and anything, it's a good thing. Well, let's let's talk baseball. Of course, Kentucky coming off its first College World Series appearance, and I know over you got to look forward. But what has life been like for you since that happened. I know that you never slow down, but that just I hope you took a few minutes to bask and all that.
Speaker 5: Well, dick I wish I could tell you I did, and really it was. It was hard, and I actually didn't because we played on that Wednesday, as you know, and then the NTAA the way they do it, because we played that morning game, we flew right back on Wednesday, so we got done. We took the guys to the hotel, they showered and got cleaned up, and next thing you know, we're flying out that Wednesday. And then Thursday we have our team meeting at noon.
Speaker 1: That rolled right.
Speaker 5: Into player meetings on Thursday and Friday, Saturday meet with the coaches, and Sunday we had a visit some guys that were waiting for us to get back, and it was just really it was onto the next thing, and it was super busy. And finally Kristin Reeves and I got a chance to go on a vacation in August. But Dickie was seven months. I went seven straight months with no days off, literally not one, as you know, because we play every Friday, Saturday, Sunday. On Monday, you're preparing and you're practicing. Tuesday, we play Wednesday, preparation Thursday, travel or practice, play Friday, century Sunday. And did that routine for seven six straight months, and then recruiting for a solid month straight and you look up and it's like, whoa. We literally went, not just me, our whole staff. We went seven months without a day off. But that's what it takes and we want to be great. But finally got some time at Christina Reeves.
Speaker 1: And that's good because obviously being the head coach, I mean, your staff is involved as much as you are, but as the head coach, you have so many more responsibilities. It's got to be so mentally and emotionally taxing. And I know you've got a great family to fall back on, but how in the world do you manage all that?
Speaker 5: Well, you're right, and the why it's so taxing for me and I and you'll understand this because you have children. And by the way, it was great to meet Jack finally after all these years of me asking about them. But when someone what we do for a living, they trust God's greatest gift to them their children with us. So it's like we are really they're under our care while they're here and we're trying to help them and mentor them and shape them. And when you understand that and you value that, it's a lot. You're right, it's taxing because you know you're trying to help raise them and we're the last piece of that puzzle. And then but on top of that, you're trying to develop them as a student, person player. Then you're trying to win games, and you're trying to do all these things. And at the show, you're right. I mean, it was exhausting and taxing, and it was good to catch our bread finally, but it doesn't stop, as you know, and here we go right back into another season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and from everything I've seen, you've got obviously a lot of new faces. Everybody does, and you and I have talked before that, as odd as it is for other sports, it's kind of been a norm for baseball. We've talked about that more than once. But are you you're reloading in lieu of rebuilding because you've still got some good kids who were a foundation of your team this past year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we do. We actually have thirty new players. So we have forty eight guys on the roster, and thirty of them are new, so it's right at sixty three percent of our team, our first year players, and you know, it feels like that twenty three season, Dick. I think you probably remember that where you know, positionally you look up and there's just so many new faces out there. So it's one where we feel like, obviously you can still win, but we have to replace a lot, a lot of starters on really both sides of the ball when you think about it. Our Friday guys signed Pro, Saturday Starter Sign Pro, Sunday Starter Sign prow first Basement, second Basement Sign Pro, seorg Stop Signpro, third Basement Sign Pro Leftfielder sign Pro. I mean, we lost a lot and that's good. So at the same time, we have some guys that have been in our program and we really like some of the pieces we added out of the portal.
Speaker 1: So you're unique as a program in that I firmly believe you lost. I hate to rub it in the best shortstop second basement combo in America. You've got some great kids to replace them. They got to prove themselves, of course, but I guess in your line of work, coach, you just gotta just be happy you had them, right, you don't more than the fact that they're gone, but you're just happy you had them.
Speaker 10: Thanks for reminding me, I dick, they're not here anymore, Okay, I mean thank you, but yeah, no, that's it. And even that's just whole team. And you know this, you were around them a ton is as much as not more than most people. Just great group of guys, like just when I say men, like mature men who just went about their business. It's such a high level and valued and paid attention to all the right things.
Speaker 5: I think we're in an age of college athletics. You know this, but there's just so many distractions. There's so many things that they can put their focus and attention on, and they just focused on each other and winning for Kentucky and doing something that's never been done before and really trying to create a legacy and pretty amazing group of men. And I miss them. And we watched the video the first team meeting a couple of saturdays ago, and you know, just in just a two minute clip, we pointed out about fifteen things that made that seem so special, and there was a lot of it. But I'm excited for this new challenge and journey with this group of guys.
Speaker 1: We have this year I will never forget the morning after you guys clinched the SEC Championship, being in the dougout, We're all doing the pregame interviews and preps and things like that, and we got to talking about Omaha and just just off the cuff a little bit, and Grant was standing there and at one point he said, I need that more than I need to breathe, which just I mean, that just hit me right between the eyes. I knew how much those guys wanted it, but just the fact that they can make it happen. And now you've got that residue there, You've got guys with well Omaha experience. That's huge for you and your staff, Isn't.
Speaker 5: It It is? It is, It definitely is, and for them to feel it and touch it. And the reception has been unbelievable. Just even around the community. I just feel like I hear a new story every single day about somebody that went or was there and how they soaked it in and they were about to dugout and this person was three people deep on the concourse or you know, out there in the outfield and those bleachers. It's been really need to even just year, even on the sidelines this past football game, a very kind gentleman just paying the team a just tremendous amount of compliments the way they were a team, in the way they loved and played for each other, and what it did for this community.
Speaker 10: So super thankful for that.
Speaker 1: More well, UK baseball coach Nick bnjeon when we come back to the big blew Insider here on six point thirty WLA talking with ukhad baseball coach Nick Benjione. Of course, a brand new team to put together, not entirely brand new, but coming off the College World Series experience and going into this coming season, you've got every right to expect the fans to be excited about Kentucky baseball. And I remember coach being up in the press box during the Super Regional, and I'd had this feeling before, of course, because that wasn't your first Regional championship, but your first Super that you host, jam pack people running for their seats once the gates spring open on a gorgeous evening, and I remember thinking, man, this is what they had in mind. And I was standing there with a lot of other people when you guys first turned the shovels to build that Ballpark, and I just I could not help but just get this big grin on my face. I think, Darren Hedrick turning around, what are you smiling about? You know, that's what we've seen it in other places, and now we've seen it in Lexington. Man, that's got to be such a great feeling for you, because, yeah, I was here when you were sleeping on couches back when you were an assistant coach.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And you know, speaking of that shovel, Dick, I have that shovel in my office and each day when I walked through where my desk is, that shovel is right there. Next time you're buy the office, you'll have to you have to see it, and that shovel is there. And it's a reminder to me that we broke ground and we built a place that was intended to have a lot of people in it and to win championships in and that shovel is actually right by my desk every day, and it is a good reminder for the responsibility that comes with this position.
Speaker 1: Well, we could talk about your new roster all night long. I'm not going to put you through that, but I will ask you about one guy in particular, who's coming back. And I think it was a little bit of a surprise of some of us, but not entirely, that Devin Burks decided to come back. And you talk about the backbone of a team, and I know you've got depth of debt position because of recruiting and transfers and all, but what a huge plus for you guys. He's like having a coach on the field, isn't he Oh?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And it's like a coach in the office. This is the guy that swings by and brightens up the day and just by his presence. So he is definitely an extension of our coaching staff and somebody that we really trust. And we were obviously disappointed he didn't get the opportunity to go pro and in the position and in the timeframe in which he wanted. But ultimately he's got another crack at that. And you know, I when I think about that, then I just think about the awardy one early in the spring where he was named mister Wildcat. Yeah, And I mean that is the most prestigious award you can get from our athletic administration. And that's what's what he is and that's what he means to our program and this entire athletic department. I mean, he truly is mister Wildcat from the way he goes about his business on and off the fields. Who recently was actually got engaged. Ah, he got engaged over the summer. So but just an amazing guy and one we're definitely lucky to have back. And we will not definitely take him for granted by no means.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to seeing him again. Obviously, you lose another assistant coach, which is normal if you've hired well. And now you bring in Chase Sloan as a new assistant coach. And was he a camper or is that you know him much more time?
Speaker 5: Back in the day twenty twelve, the summer of twenty twelve, we have a camp and there's this high energy shortstop flying around all over the field and brought tremendous energy and was a leader of his team that summer and just followed his career. He ended up going to Southern Illinois and transferred to a junior college. After that, Meyersburg State takes them to the College World Series and then he goes to Wright State and one of the greatest players of all time, and we connected on the road recruiting a couple of years ago and then having played them and a couple of years ago, and you remember that and watching him coach, and then just following his career, you know, that's a program that just wins. Yeah, and his development as a coach has been pretty impressive. So love follow him and now you look up twelve years later and he's on staff with us.
Speaker 1: Wright State is one of those programs where those of us who've covered Kentucky tell people, well, listen, don't sleep on these guys because they come from a baseball rich area and yeah, they've come down and giving Kentucky trouble in the past. And now you're plugging in a new assistant coach with a team that you found the style last year that was so successful and you guys proved to us some of us who were improperly saying that's kind of a small ball team. But you guys, you showed that in Omaha you could win with home runs. Can I assume that you've recruited parts that will allow you to keep playing that style?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Dick, You're right on. You know, we started telling people, so whatever take type of offenses.
Speaker 10: You remember and you cut on and you know.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so we have those pieces. We got some right handed power, we had some left handed power. To the team and to the roster. We've got some speed. Obviously, we've the defense, as you know, is a as a big thing for us, so we have to continue to defend at a super super high level. So that has still placed an emphasis on that.
Speaker 9: So we like the pieces we've added.
Speaker 5: It's going to take time, as you know, for them to understand everything that goes into having an offense. Really quite frankly, it's can be pretty complex. It's not just to sit back and just let it type play. I mean, it's an attacking type of offense. So just teaching them the strike zone, the importance of that bunning we still haven't gotten in any of that. We'll get into that this week and the foundation for that. So there's a lot that goes into it. But we definitely like the pieces that we've added. And you don't go to omahas help get a different, you know, caliber a player. Sometimes you know that that was the best type of recruiting that we could possibly have was just to sit there on the ESPN and to watch us in the college world.
Speaker 10: Series.
Speaker 5: So that's definitely helped.
Speaker 1: You know, I really believe that that played a part in fans in Omah, and you've made an impassioned plea to them. He if you need a team to root for a roof for us. But I think people really love that style of play. Your guys come across so well. A lot of the kids did from those teams. Uh in the news conference settings. Plus you had Reeves sitting there. He was winning fans of his own, wasn't.
Speaker 9: He He was, And look, we were around the whole This whole city just just embraced Kristen Reves and I in such a way that we just love it here.
Speaker 5: And for so many reasons. But that is part of the reason. Why is because the way that people have just embraced them. And I cannot tell you how many times people say, you just such a good job Reeves with your interviews, thank you, thank you. So he's gotten a lot of great attentions, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, you did meet my son the other day. I need to make sure at some points you meet my daughter. But I was. I was telling him the other day, I said, you've got such an advantage your generation, and Reeves is obviously over ours, and I'm a little bit older than you in that years and years from now, when I'm gone, Jack and my daughter Kay, they'll have more pictures and videos and they can remember they care to see of me and the rest of their family. Reeves is the same way. Man. Can you think about years from now when he looks back on the video of himself at a young age at the College World Series? Probably won't be his only trip. But that's that's huge, isn't it.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And you know, Kristin and I talk all the time about just the importance of giving him experiences. Yeah, and that's what we've done. That's so that is an experience that he will not forget. And that's just so important to us as parents that we just don't give him things right, those things are going to break and go away and he's gonna lose interest. But an experience that you know, hopefully he'll never forget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, he gave him a lot to remember. I mean, you go to Omaha and now you're going to try to make new memories. Before I let you go, you you kind of touched on it a little bit, but and we have learned through the years those of us are covered with the team how vital fall baseball is fall workouts. Every time we've talked to you guys, when you've had really good teams, you and the players have all said the same thing. We realized back in the fall. What we had so explain to everybody how and why it's so important and what happens in the fall that sets you up for the spring.
Speaker 5: Well, really it's the foundation of what we're trying to build. So it's one thing to talk about a culture, it's another thing to actually have one. It's one thing to talk about having an attacking pitching staff that is going to be able to work extremely fast, attack with their fastball, throw a secondary pitch for a strike, and it truly be the tip of the sphere. Its thing to say, hey, we're going to do a great job of the strike zone, it's another thing to do it. And one thing to say, hey, we're going to steal bases, and it's another thing to actually do it. So everything that we're trying to do, really the foundation of that is set in the fall. Because we're going to scrimmage.
Speaker 9: We're gonna have over.
Speaker 5: Fifteen scrimmages against each other, so we're gonna have these games and we're going to have the opportunity to push the envelope. We're going to have the opportunity to have a pitching staff prove that they're going to ram the ball in the strike zone. And we're gonna have an opportunity to prove that we're going to be a high level defensive team. So we're going to have to do all these things. And ultimately, when you go against each other that much, Dick, you just keep sharpening each other. If you have two competitive sides that just love getting after it and getting after each other, and last year's team did. I mean they would chirp each other and they would get after it. I mean it was every game felt like it was a an SEC Series game. But when you have a bunch of guys that lay that foundation and they attack it that way, all we did was just keep making each other better and better and better, and we exploited our weaknesses and we showed what our strengths were. And next thing you know, you pull up and you get to the spring and you've already been in that environment, you've already trained that way. So we got an advantage over football to where we can do that. We have an advantage over our volleyball team. We have quite frankly, we have about six months to truly get them ready and they value that practice time and so it's really truly the foundation and you can see it in the fall. So let's talk in a couple of months' let you know what I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I'm looking forward to it. And of course that's how the chemistry is built as well. But there's plenty of time for that. Although college sports man, it comes at you fast, you know that. Nick minjee On, the head baseball coach for the Wildcats coach, thanks again for the time, and I'll see you back on the sideline soon.
Speaker 10: I'm sure I'll see Saturday.
Speaker 1: I'll be there.
Speaker 5: I missing three thirty. Bring it.
Speaker 1: Let's go up next. Kobe Wilson of Fox fifty six here on the Big Blue and Siders six thirty. You Lap welcome back to the Big Blue side of joining us now for the first time on our celebrity highline. She's been in the TV market for a while now. Kobe Wilson in Fox fifty six. Kolby, how are you, Dick?
Speaker 11: I'm doing well.
Speaker 1: How are you appreciate you taking some time on the day off, but like I told you the other day, we needed to get you on and learn a little bit more about you. I see you at events all the time and say hi, But tell everybody where you're from, where you went to school, all that good background stuff.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So I'm actually my dad's a football coach. So I've moved around my whole life, lived in seven different states, but I claim Los Angeles, California, went to all four years of high school there, graduated there. I'm actually I played soccer in college at Eastern Washington University, played there for my first three years, and then ended up transferring to the University of Portland for my last two years in Oregon. Took my COVID year thankfully, So I had five years in college, which was awesome, and then kind of got into the news business there in Portland and then started applying for jobs and landed right here in Lexington, Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Well, there's all kinds of connections. First of all, what part of lac is. One of my closest friends lives out there. He works in Hollywood, but he doesn't live in Hollywood, but he's lived out there since he graduated UK.
Speaker 11: Yes, I'm Redondo Beach, California is where I live. Just like, have you been around there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been. I've been to LA a few times. Yeah, awesome.
Speaker 11: Best place ever to me, first.
Speaker 1: Of all, But Eastern Washington and Portland that's quite the culture shock.
Speaker 11: Oh yes it was. But you know, the specific Northwest it kind of grew on me a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: You know, it's beautiful up there and you kind of see all the seasons falls amazing. And then soccer at University of Portland. I mean they've won a national championship with Meghan Rapinos. So the culture just in terms of soccer there was great. So I had a great experience overall, for sure.
Speaker 1: This is an Eastern Washington the home of the red football field.
Speaker 5: That is, yes, the equal.
Speaker 1: Yes, what was that?
Speaker 11: You know, it was so fun. I know they're an FCS program, but when you're there, the environment is rocking. I mean in that red field. We got to practice on it in a handful of times. They would never let us play on it, but just to walk and just see red everywhere. I mean, now that kind of runs me a Paris High School here got the orange. Yeah, but uh No, that environment was awesome, a great football program, and it was nice because I I, you know, my dad being a coach, I wanted somewhere that had football, So getting the experience, you know, playing college at soccer and having a football program was super nice.
Speaker 1: And then of course my cousins. I have a bunch of cousins in Portland, so I've been there a few times. But I love I tell people go to the Pacific Northwest is Lake walking through a postcard. It's just really amazing.
Speaker 11: And then no, it go ahead, No, I was just gonna say it definitely is. Especially I always tell people you have to go there in the fall with the lead changing, it's like definitely the place to be for that season.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then, by coincidence, one of your peers here in the market, Hallie DeVore, is from Portland, right.
Speaker 11: Yes, it was so funny shee. Before I got here, everyone had told her I played at Portland and was coming. So the first time I saw her for the very first time, she gave me this huge hug that she could relate to somebody, which is super nice because we have someone something to relate about. She also she also played soccer at an early age with one of my teammates at Portland, so we know some of the same people. So that was super cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now your dad was a coach at what level?
Speaker 11: He's been at college and NFL?
Speaker 1: Wow, where do you work in the league?
Speaker 11: He was at the Eagles and he worked for the Cardinals just for a little bit.
Speaker 1: No kidding. So are the Eagles your team or were the was? Cause there wasn't a team forever in La, right.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 11: It's funny because I guess with my dad going from so many different teams, usually my team is just his team, so that's kind of it's hard to say committed to one team because he leaves and goes to another one and then I, you know, get rid of all that gear and put all my new gear on. So it's kind of a funny transition. But you know, I don't really have a specific team.
Speaker 1: I don't blame you, like I said, because growing up in LA. I mean, the Rams are back there, but in LA.
Speaker 11: I was only there for I was there for four years and my dad was coaching at USC at that time, so you know, my focus in mindset was kind of just on the Trojans at that point.
Speaker 1: That's where my buddy went to grad school, and I toured that campus when we helped move him out there all those years ago. It's really cool that that football culture out there is really neat. And then I did when UK played baseball out there, I got to do the game on the radio, so that was fun.
Speaker 11: No, that campus is great, and the coliseum it's just historic. So it's always fun to be Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well let's talk about you. Then you you come to Kentucky. What was it like for you to come here? What do you tell people back home wherever home is now or you're relatives? What do you tell them? What do they ask you?
Speaker 11: You know, when I came here, I think the first thing when I said I'm going to Kentucky and one to Lexington, you know, head turned in terms of you're going to cover Kentucky basketball.
Speaker 5: I got hired.
Speaker 11: I got hired here in December, so you know that's in like full basketball season yep. And so they were like, you got to get out there, like you got to go now so you can at least, you know, cover a few months of basketball. And I was like, you're right. So, you know, it's been a great transition for me. Lexington is a great place. I'm so used to. You know, I think Lexington, I think college town. I've lived in stark Wool, Mississippi. I've lived in Athens, Georgia. So you know, I'm thinking, okay, college town like that, and then I get here and I like see the skyline and I'm like, okay, Like Lexington is not just like your ordinary small college town. Like you know, I still get lost on New Circle time. So I'm like, you know, this is this is ton of big. So you know that in terms of the city that was great. The culture here obviously, Big Blue Nation is. You know, I've been around a lot of fan bases and this one is just wholeheartedly different compared to I mean, I've been between the hedges at Georgia. You know, I've been at USC, So this one definitely stands out. But most people at home, and when I talked to them about being here in Lexington, they definitely you know Bat and I when they hear Kentucky basketball, and that's an opportunity that I get.
Speaker 1: How does it stand out? What makes it unique?
Speaker 11: I really think it's just the overall culture and the history behind really Kentucky basketball, you know, especially John cal Perry you talked about, which at the time was who was here and then this whole New Mark Pope area. But I think, to me personally, I think Big Blue Nation is what stands out. I've never been around a fan base just so loyal and so just you know, they're just so special.
Speaker 1: Well, and for you to make that comparison, and having spent time at you in Athens, home of the University of Georgia, and I've got a couple of cousins who went to school there, and uh right, it's I mean, they're nuts obviously about football, but maybe it's because there are more basketball games that you feel the BBN presence in basketball a little bit more.
Speaker 11: That could be true, you know, but at Georgia, you know, obviously game days for football it's packed the environment, but you know, you might go to a Georgia basketball zoom and it just doesn't feel the same. And I like, you know, I go to Rupt and I'm at basketball and the environment's crazy, and then I go to Kroger Field in the environment is crazy. So I feel like, you know, BBN just more consistent, and I definitely just think more loyal in terms of what I've seen you.
Speaker 1: Talked about history, and you were witnessed to Mark Pope's coronation, if you will, uh, And I'm sure you were as stunned as the rest of us, expecting a few thousand people to show up and say hi, and instead we saw the biggest pep rowley in the history of college basketball. What was your take on that?
Speaker 11: I you know, I was pretty speechless for a little bit. I mean I was there and I had chilled. I didn't know anything that was going to go on. I didn't know the bus was going to come inside scrup No, I didn't know they were going to bring out, you know, people who had built this program to what it is today. I mean, just the whole aura, you know, the fans outside still trying to get in with it, the seats already being sold out inside. It was it was nothing like I had ever seen in my life. And I even you know, tost of the people I go. I feel like there was more energy and like hype in here for this for Mark Cope than I saw some games this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's wild. It was it was going to be crazy.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, I'm excited for that.
Speaker 1: His first game We're talking to Kobe Wilson of Fox fifty six, and when we come back, we'll talk about that rainy opener and the football catch on the other side of the break. Here on the Big Moone Sider six thirty w Welcome back. We're talking with Kolbe Wilson, reporter anchored Fox fifty six. She has lived all over the country, but spent her high school years in La spent college years in the Pacific Northwest, and now covering the Wildcats. And you were there on that rainy Saturday talking about crazy. That was kind of an historic night in a in a weird way, wasn't it.
Speaker 11: Oh for sure? And it's so funny. I tell people it was just my luck because you know, everyone knew I'm a football girl, and so they were like, Tobe, you're gonna love Proger Field, Like these games are gonna be so awesome. So I'm like so ready prepared for my first game, and then I get there and this all happened. But I saw so much even in that like Digglue Nations still being there, you know, steadying the storm. So there was it was definitely a good time, but nothing I had experienced right before.
Speaker 1: And even you you even lived in the Pacific Northwest, but there's rain and then there's rain. So having grown up in a football household, though, what kind of feel have you gotten in the preseason weeks leading up to the season from the football Wildcats, the coaches, because man, the portal has just really changed the way I think folks like us do our jobs trying to figure out what's what.
Speaker 11: No, for sure, you know, with this team, I feel like it had a different feeling from previous seasons, and that was just you know, I wasn't covering the Cats in previous years, but I just feel like that's from you know, word of mouth that I had heard. I think, you know, this team kind of really having experience returning Obviously that's huge in college football. You can't beat that. And then I think the addition of the new coaches. I think Bush Hampdon obviously a great hire. I feel like he you know, bringing a new energy, a new offense from Boise State. But overall, you know, being in a football family, I feel like this team really has a willingness to win. Especially talking to the players, just thinking, you know, Mac Harrison stands out specifically, He's always just talked about the brotherhood that they've created in this off season, and I think that has stuck out to me as they you know, going to their second game on Saturday.
Speaker 1: As the daughter of a coach and you've been around a lot of different teams, programs, coaches, what's your take on Mark Stoops.
Speaker 11: You know, it's funny. So my dad actually coached with Bob Stoop to Oklahoma, really, so yeah, so there's a little connection there. My dad knows Mark Stops. I think I've been around him when I was little, but I haven't you know, we haven't got we haven't like reconnected since then. You know. I I like Mark. I think he is definitely about his business, not you know, just the most like he cracks a few jokes in the press conferences that are definitely funny, but obviously, you know, a very tenured knows what he's doing, high level coach. But I definitely think he is a fully about his business and I think he wants to win obviously for this for this community and b then for sure, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: He's done it. He's done it at a level that's never been done before consistently in the modern era. So what did you think of the product that he put on the field Saturday. Once they did get to.
Speaker 11: Play, Yeah, I think obviously, you know, that opening drive was a little shaky, kind of had the time out and then the interception. But once this team settled in, I would say, you know, what they said that was going to be shown, I think they showed it. In terms of, you know, the run game, you saw a handful of different running backs, including the broad Vandergrip run. You saw obviously positive things out of him. I think he threw for what was it, one hundred and sixty nine yards obviously was great on his feet. And then you know barry On Brown, especially the defense. I know, the huge big thing for them was you know, three and out and getting off the field. Obviously that first drive for them was also was a little shaky. But after that, I mean, you weren't seeing Southern Myths do a whole lot. They held them to zero points, and as a you know, as a defensive coach, that's all you can ask.
Speaker 1: For five yards. I mean we granted less than two and a half quarters, but still that's that's not too shabby. And now South Carolina comes up the conference opener. Uh, you drop into Kentucky football at a time when the schedule is the strangest I've ever seen, and I've covered a lot of Kentucky football. To have a not just a conference opener, Kobe, but one that is so vital for the South Carolina team, you got to win this one, don't you.
Speaker 11: Oh, that'll be big. And then obviously you add the SEC nation being here that just adds a different, you know, vibe to it all. So this would be a huge I mean, to start the season two and zero is obviously what you want to do, but to go up against South Carolina, I believe. So it's in the past two games South Carolina has came up on top, Is that right? Yeah, So I think this would just be big in terms of especially bouncing back, not bouncing back, but coming back from last game where you know, it was just different. But this would definitely be a huge win to start off the season and build some momentum going into this tough SEC schedule.
Speaker 1: As a former college athlete, is there much carryover do you think from game to game or season to season, Because you know they tried to whip some things up between Kentucky South Carolina did last year using some stoops comments as motivation and all that is that real?
Speaker 11: You know, I think it could give you an extra you know, a little more juice, just a little more excitement. But overall, you know, as an athlete, you go into each game just ready, no matter what. Sometimes I don't even think you need any you know, you don't really need any extra momentum or you don't even need extra you know, juice to get going. You're just already ready. So I don't I don't really think the carryover. I don't think there's much of a carryover. I think these athletes are ready to go out there and do their best each game.
Speaker 1: What did you think of the way the SEC started, I mean in the marquee games one and three, although Vandy pulled off one of the better upsets in the opening weekend.
Speaker 11: Hey, I'm telling you, nothing surprised me. Now you kind of mentioned it. With the transfer portal and you know, all these teams having good players, there is nothing that surprises me. I believe you know a lot. Anyone can really be anyone, especially with the portal these days. So I know, you know, SEC is what stands out to everyone. But if you don't show up ready to play. Another team's going to take your opportunity, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: You're an athlete who transferred. Freedom of movement is probably the second biggest issue, maybe the first. Between that and NIL. It's like one in one A. You're not that far out of college. What are your thoughts on the state of college sports in general? Now?
Speaker 11: You know, I had just missed the cut in terms of NIL. NIL was just starting when I was in my fifth year. Women's soccer is a little bit different. There's not as much money into it, so I didn't play as big as a role for me personally. But you know, I kind of look back now, and I mean, to me, it feels like the pros you're just moving around money for players, which you know, to me is a little bit sad, only because I feel like it strips you of that real college experience and just going out there grinding, earning your spot and working hard every day. Now, don't get me wrong, these players still do that, but with money involved now, I just think it's it's just a whole different beast than I mean, you don't really have much loyalty. You're kind of bouncing around, so I think it's different, and I start to feel bad for even the high school players who are cut short of opportunities because most coaches are just now relying on the portal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there are some kids who are left with nowhere to go. I got less than a minute. But could you see a situation where if you sign a scholar you signed for two years instead of one. Do you think that's tenable?
Speaker 11: I think that's tenable.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 11: But you know, again, with the portal and money and you know people even college kids having agents now, it's just so different. So nothing really surprising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gotta be right for it. Well, whatever happens, Colby Wilson will cover it for Fox fifty six. Thank you so much. We'll see you at the next press conference and beyond, thank you, Dick. That'll do it for now, thanks to my guest Kolbe Wilson, nickman Gione and Jojo Kemp. That's a good night from the garage in Lexington.
Speaker 12: You want to hold it?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 12: Then you got thet the child little Tandon down.
Speaker 9: Believe