Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Mark Thompson's sitting in and just taking some time out of prepping for my big YouTube show, The Mark Thompson Show on YouTube, kind of a politics and news thing. You ever in the neighborhood of YouTube, Please subscribe. It's free, it's the it's price to move my show. I mentioned Mark Zuckerberg and the fact that he's putting together these pay packages at Meta formerly Facebook, and you can guess where the emphasis is now at Meta. You know, the meta world is interesting to me because you remember when he put those billions of dollars it was tens of billions of dollars into the metaverse. The word meta and the rebranding of Facebook as Meta kind of came out of that metaverse craze. Everything was going to be in the metaverse. We were going to meet in the metaverse. There were going to be concert venues in the metaverse. The metaverse is going to be a place where they're going to be virtual cities. And that's still all maybe percolating, I don't know, but there was a time when it just seemed as though it was going to happen, like you know, at noon tomorrow. Now whenever it's going to happen, or the degree to which it's happening has sort of been put off. But what's replaced it is what AI. And AI is proving itself to be as transformational as everybody had said it would be. And so to Zuckerberg and these compensation packages. He's putting together huge compensation packages related to AI. Apparently he spent months putting together a list of the top AI engineers and researchers across the globe, and he wants to offer these people potential recruits, right, lucrative compensation packages. And he's trying to poach AI talent from a lot of competitors. So how do you put together the perfect package? You offer up to one hundred million dollars, which is what he's doing. He's personally reaching out to a lot of these most desirable AI developers. And you know this is a company Meta. Remember Meta owns Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and they are competing in this attempt to be AI dominant. The dominant AI engines really stand to control the future. See of open AI. Google has its own AI right, Microsoft, Amazon, and billions of dollars are being invested into AI research and product development, and it's being talked about Meta as being an also ran, like not really keeping up with the competition. They had a rollout scheduled and then it was delayed and so all of a sudden, that's their flagship AI model, and it seems like maybe it's still a little bit on the jankie side and that's the reason that you didn't roll it out on time. So again they invested fourteen billion for a steak in Scale AI. And Scale ai is an AI founded by a guy named Alexander Wang. Guess how old Alexander Wang is. He is the founder of this Scale AI. And again Meta just paid for a steak in AI. They don't own it. This is just a piece of the party. They paid fourteen billion. The founder Alexander Wang is how old? Twenty eight? And Meta wants to put Alexander Wang, twenty eight, eight year old, in charge of its super intelligence team. That's a lab team, an internal lab team that's going to focus on developing a hypothetical AI system that is smarter than humans. Google bought out the shares in Character ai. That's a chatbot service that just happened last year, So back to Zuckerberg and these compensation packages. He's trying to go after all of these recent graduate from top PhD programs at schools like cal in the Bay Area, Carnegie Mellon and more and more of these deep mind project like their Google's got a deep mind project and Open AI and you know you've heard all of these names. Well, Zuckerberg's going to poach all of these companies for some of their top people. And so somebody who spoke to Zuckerberg, a recruit, said that he's trying to essentially this is a quote, get a transfusion from the country's top AI labs. And so in that process, he's offering one hundred billion dollars to what he considers the best people in the field. On the other side of it are all of the creators who are being counterfeited and undercut by AI. And I'm talking about authors. An open letter written on Friday about the use of AI on in creating books. It showed up on the literary website lit hub. It's asking publishing houses to promise that they will never release books that were created by machines. I see that as a request that may not go honored. It's just so easy for these publishers to frankenstein together all kinds of book on any number of subjects. They addressed, these seventy authors did the big five US publishers Penguin, Random House, HarperCollins, Simon and Schuster, and they got more than eleven hundred signatures on the accompanying petition and their direct request to publishers on a number of different things. And AI may already or could soon be in this publishing world, and the letter asks them, along with the accompanying petition, hey, please don't do this. The writing that AI produces feels cheap, they say, because it is cheap, they continue, It feels simple because it is simple to produce. That is the whole point. AI is an enormously powerful tool here to stay with the capacity for real societal benefits, but the replacement of art and artists isn't one of them. And there have been lawsuits, as you know, from authors, mean big authors are going after publishers for having balkanized their work. You know, they take a piece of it and they are essentially guilty of potentially anyway copyright infringement. So these are ongoing cases from a lot of everybody from Sarah Silverman to Who's the Comedian? But she's also an author to some of the biggest names in writing. And some of these cases are already beginning to render rulings. Federal judges were handing down judgments in two cases like this just on Friday of this past week. They ruled in favor of the defendants. They ruled in favor of the AI companies Anthropic AI and Meta, So they dealt a blow to these authors. And this could give AI companies the legal right under the fair use doctrine to train their large language models on copyrighted work and do what I was just mentioning, essentially Frankenstein together bits of this work. AI is transforming everything, and that's why they're paying a premium for AI engineers, and it will change the way so much is done.
Speaker 3: Around the world.
Speaker 2: When we come back, the beach just got a whole lot more dangerous. And you'll never guess why.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 4: Hey Mark Luis here, good to hear you on a Sunday afternoon. Don't forget to promote the Mark Hanson Show on YouTube. Hey, I does have just caused because those people were picked up just because they happened to.
Speaker 5: Be at the home people on a Sunday afternoon. Anyway, good to hear from you, buddy, I get it, Louise. Yes, they picked up just cauts is what you're saying. Okay, Uh Yeah. The Mark Thompson Shows on YouTube. It's a daily show two hours live. But you can watch it anytime or listen to it anytime. We're also on the iHeartRadio app as a podcast. It's called the Mark Thompson Show. Yeah, we didn't spend a lot of time on the title, so but thanks for that. Speaking of ICE, I would just I think this one is related to ICE. Somebody called in and left to talk back on this. I say, called in, you know, use the talkback feature I just described.
Speaker 3: And here is that.
Speaker 6: In regards to I thought they were going to start with the criminals first.
Speaker 2: No, I was saying that, you know, in the articulated immigration strategy, it's we're going to start with the criminals. We're going to start with the you know, and you don't find them as day workers at home depot, at Low's, et cetera. And we're just kind of talking about the pushback on ICE, and so this gentleman is calling about that just to put it in contact.
Speaker 6: So in regards to I thought they were going to start with the criminals first, Well, when the governor refuses to allow ICE into the prisons to get the criminals, it forces them to go in the community. And they plainly stated, if we have to go in the community, anybody we find with these people are going to.
Speaker 3: That's just the result of non.
Speaker 2: Oh well that actually makes some sense, but it happens not to be true. I don't know if you Newsom said he's going to continue allowing the state prison system to cooperate with ICE. So when you say, well, if the governor would just let the ICE agents into the prisons, we wouldn't have this problem with people going by a home depot. Well, he's been quite vocal about the fact that ICE and the prison system in California will cooperate with each other. And finally there is this let me find this talk back which was just left here.
Speaker 7: So good to hear Mark Thompson, love you, love you, love you, love you love you on Tuesdays.
Speaker 2: With Conway and I want to stop this for a second. Why can't we have more like this Ritchie. This is a very good talk back.
Speaker 3: Let's have him keep him coming. I am very hit that talk back. I'd like to hit this talk back. Play this every maybe seven or eight minutes on this show.
Speaker 7: You hear Mark Thompson love You, love you, love you, love you, love you, love you. You had a huge more of a presence on air on love.
Speaker 3: You all from that was big, big fan love your work.
Speaker 2: I got love you, love you, love you, love you, and then another thing and then love you.
Speaker 3: That was like huge six love you. That's more love yous and I've got on a whole year.
Speaker 2: If I love love you on Sundays, I really thank you, uh, thank you anonymous person.
Speaker 3: So we play it back again, No, no, we should not.
Speaker 2: I think I must tell you though, if you're headed to the beach and it did feel like, you know, we're getting into clearly some beach days, there is a bizarre, I consider it truly bizarre warning about the latest threat safety threat associated with going to the beach. Usually you associate going to the beach and those kind of safety warnings with what riptide is like one of the big ones to me anyway, sharks right. You know, there's also theft on the beach. I mean this kind of thing, but this is a threat to your physical person that emerges from beach umbrellas.
Speaker 8: A picturesque day on the Jersey Shore, beach goers taking cover from the hot summer sun.
Speaker 9: All shattered in a moment.
Speaker 3: The um in the rough, aren't it?
Speaker 8: After a nineteen year old lifeguard in Asbury Park was stabbed by her own beach umbrella.
Speaker 3: I gotten tailed by the umbrella.
Speaker 8: First responders rushing to the scene, power tools in hand.
Speaker 3: They need that band fall for sure.
Speaker 7: Here they cut the umbrella on both ends so they couldn't move that part of it.
Speaker 9: It was pretty ugly, but I said, I think she's gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: For her.
Speaker 8: It's a story all too familiar Forred Quigley.
Speaker 10: An umbrella is a javelin with a sale attached ed.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, never in a million years that I can see. We've all seen. All of us have seen umbrellas blowing down the beach, right and and I guess we know that the implied threat, But I never thought of it as like a jablin that potentially could spear someone. I mean again, I guess that's implied, but I'd never heard or seen or read about, it actually.
Speaker 9: Happened, tory all too familiar for d Quigley.
Speaker 10: An umbrella is a javelin with a sail attached.
Speaker 8: Ed nearly died after being struck in the eye by a rope. Beach umbrella twenty fifteen in brain surgery.
Speaker 1: I died on the operating table.
Speaker 3: Wow, are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: This guy was speared in the eye by a beach umbrella and he went intobate brain surgery involving dying on the table in the oar.
Speaker 3: This is an extraordinary story.
Speaker 9: Beach umbrella twenty fifteen.
Speaker 10: In brain surgery. I died on the operating table. Took them twenty three minutes and seven cycles with the shock paddles bring me back.
Speaker 8: Since that day, he's made it his mission to improve beach umbrella safety. Everyone's just shocked that this is a thing that happened so regularly.
Speaker 10: I think the first question to ask is did you ever see an umbrella blowing down the beach? Everyone has, Well, everyone's seen it, then everyone's been in a potential danger situation.
Speaker 8: Now, as installing these warning signs at beaches up and down the East Coast, like here in Wildwood, New Jersey coining beachgoers.
Speaker 2: Wylwood, New Jerseys, where we used to vacation every summer. Loved it, especially as a kid. They've got a big boardwalk and all those rides and stuff. And I have to just say this speaking of my life is a kid at Wildwood Beaches. My mom, she grew up in the shadow of the Depression. They had no money. She would hoard like sugar packets from United Airlines. It was incredible, and I mean, I'm just kind of our life was informed by you know, my mother really not wanted to spend any money. We didn't have a lot of money, but she really grew up with nothing, so it was kind of anyway, My point is on the beach at Wildwood, this very beach, she would not ever dream about renting an umbrella. It was two dollars. I mean, she would never dream of it. I remember being scorched by the sun and begging her to get an umbrella. Nope, never even take a meeting on it. But wow, the idea that these umbrellas could blow down the beach and they could do the kind of damage that that guy was just describing.
Speaker 3: It's really truting.
Speaker 8: Like here in wild Wood New Jersey, pointing beachgoers to a new voluntary safety standard for beach umbrellas from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Speaker 10: So, over two years they tested beach umbrellas on beaches and in wind tunnels and develop the scientific data to say, this is what you need to keep an umbrella secure. And basically what it is is an anchor device that provides seventy five pounds of resistance to lift.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna suggest, Richie. I literally was gonna say, why do they just put weights on the bottom of it. I don't know, but they're already on it. Yeah, all right. Meanwhile, if you go to the beach, do be careful. You could end up like that guy in the or and in brain surgery. Very well sourced that story. That was a surprise to me. Thank you, producer, Richie.
Speaker 3: You're welcome. Yeah, when we come back.
Speaker 2: A crypto investment scheme revealed right here in southern California.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: The operator and employee of a Bellflower financial services company accused of allegedly stealing more than a million dollars, mostly low income victims. It was a fraudulent crypto investment scheme. Two people again the operator and then the employee of this financial services company in Bellflower, Jone Rios of Rancho Cucamonga and Erwin Kavas of thirty five of Norwalk. Those are the two thirty felon accounts involving grand theft. There's also a forgery and another felon account with bouncing checks. But between twenty twenty and twenty twenty two, the two of them operated this scheme under the guise of a cryptocurrency mining business. This is what is alleged. The cryptocurrency mining business was known as Zukra Platform Corporation. Now this is what they say. This Zukray Platform Corporation was claiming they were going to install, maintain, and operate computing equipment to mine crypto. You know, crypto is this thing where its computations and computers and the more you mine it, the more you have. So if you can actually set up your computer to mine crypto, you can. Essentially it's almost like a printing press for money. But the company had no installation, maintenance, or operation of any computing equipment to mind cryptocurrency, and they were not a registered business in California, according to prosecutors, So the people who were operating this allegedly fraudulent business tried to get victims through their existing financial services business. And you know, you guys are already here, you're going through all these other steps to handle your finances investments. We've got something for you. We have this company, Zukra, and you should be part of that. So they also had them obtain high limit credit cards loans, and they were using the loan oftentimes to help them apply to pay into this scheme. Again, this is all alleged by the District Attorney's office. They've just leveled these charges against these two people from Bellflower. So they say they told victims that the investments were risk free, guaranteed and protected by insurance. They said to these clients again, quote, clients, here are written contracts. You're going to download this mobile app, this Zoukre mobile app, and the mobile app's going to show you all the ongoing profits from your investments. You know, again, all this crypto that is accumulating while you sleep, You're getting rich.
Speaker 3: They're saying.
Speaker 2: Individual investments range from forty five hundred dollars to two hundred and eighty thousand dollars, and despite repeated a hemps, none of the victims got any returns whatsoever. The whole thing was a fraudulent scheme and there were no ways in which they could even recover their principal investments, so they lost everything in addition to gaining nothing. Prosecutors are asking that bay will be set for each defendant at six hundred thousand dollars. If they are convicted, they could get what would you guess what should they get?
Speaker 3: In your view, the answer is twenty three years.
Speaker 2: I think that well, you know me, I'm tough on law and order.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry you defraud people of that kind of money with that sort of BS story, you deserve to go away. So they're going after these people hard. From the LA District Attorney Nathan Hawkman comes this statement. My office will not tolerate financial predators who purport to offer legitimate services but instead offer lies and devastating financial loss. Let me be clear, if you steal from our communities, whether in the streets or through sophisticated investment or cryptos schemes, we will find you hold you accountable to the fullest extent of the law. So again, that's a court case that's being adjudicated, but that is the very latest. When we come back, there is a notable loss. I don't know if you'll know the name, but once I tell you the name, actually you'll put together the puzzle pieces and you may very well know the name. And then I'll kick open the door to everything this guy was all about.
Speaker 3: We'll get to that next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Thanks everybody who is contributing today's show. The talkback feature is always fun, and Richie just came in here with another handful of talk pers. I think this is maybe related to the ice raids. Let's see, it's a.
Speaker 11: Hi, justin from West Covina.
Speaker 4: I don't think that the raids are fair.
Speaker 11: Basically, the government, federal and state have let them all come here for decades, and now they all of a sudden want to reverse that. No, they let them in, it's their fault, so now they need to make a way for them to become legal after working.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, he's not wrong, and the reality is there are a lot of ways to make this work. But the way that they're going about it, I think is just it's nonsensical. I mean, when you pick up a guy who's in his fifties, who has three kids, he's a gardener. Okay, you've seen this, and the guy was running with the weed whacker from them. He was just he's holding this with Let's just be fair about what it was. He's just being chased by these Ice agents and anyway, we'll leave let's just call it.
Speaker 3: We'll leave it at that. Just describe it that way.
Speaker 2: He's got three kids, all of them you know, serving in the military. Yeah, three veterans. His stay here in this country has been over decades. Now, all of a sudden he's being deported. He's been then. I mean, he had the stuffing beaten out of him. And I'd suggest that this guy who just came in on the talkback is right. I mean, this is quite sudden. Trump could be a hero if you would bring back something like the Brossero program, which was designed to accommodate workers that come here in all of these different professions. It was really Brossero, I think was focused mostly on aggregate culture. But the idea was that you're allowing these immigrants to come here understanding that they are in work programs, agriculture, you could have it anything, agriculture, car wash, landscaping, construction, whatever you want. All of a sudden you are able to track everybody, and everybody's still able to provide for their families in the ways in which they likely arrived in this country to begin with. That's just a thought as an aside. I mean, that's just you know, that's not even working through lunch, that idea. It's already existed. The PRASCO program was discontinued in the sixties.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I think something has to be worked out. It's not working the way they have it. What else there was? Oh, on the beach umbrella this is we had a story if you're just joining us. Apparently beach umbrellas, if they're blown down the beach can literally kill people. And so there are these advisories now on beaches coast to coast saying be very careful with the umbrella stand and making sure that it's secure in the sand. So this on the Attack of the Beach Umbrellas, so coming to.
Speaker 8: A theater near you.
Speaker 9: Attack of the Killer Beach Umbrellas.
Speaker 7: Yes, narrated by Mark Thomas.
Speaker 2: Oh I like it already yes, attack of the beach umbrellas. You worried about a riptide, you worried about a tsunami, You even worried about sharks. What you really should worry about is attack of the beach umbrellas.
Speaker 5: Coming to a theater near you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, and finally there were is this.
Speaker 3: I think it's a Mark.
Speaker 6: I love you also, and I've always enjoyed your very common sense reporting.
Speaker 7: You're a great voice at KFI.
Speaker 3: No, that's right.
Speaker 7: Against the storm of sometimes not great political views are ones that I don't necessarily agree with.
Speaker 3: But I have feelings of love for.
Speaker 7: What you do.
Speaker 5: Mark.
Speaker 4: I love, I appreciate you, and I glad to hear.
Speaker 3: You have love and appreciation for you.
Speaker 2: I take that love and appreciation, I reflect it back and enhance it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I love this self serving segment, Ritchie, It's perfect. I love it. A self aggrandizing few minutes. I wish you could do a full two hours of just self aggrandizement. There was a notable passing. John Robbins has passed away. The reason I mentioned to you before you might know his name is because you know the name Baskin and Robin's and that ice cream Empire is part of John Robbin's history. He's an heir to that Baskin Robbin's fortune, but he rejected the family business and wrote a seminal book, a cornerstone book advocating plant based nutrition. He was a big one of environmentalism, animal rights. And he just died here in California with seventy seven. His son and collaborator, Ocean Robbins I get his newsletter regularly, said that the cause of his father's death was complications from a post polio syndrome that resulted in muscle weakness and other symptoms, nearly seven decades after he originally got polio as a boy. His book, and this is the thing. His book is very famous. It's called Diet for a New America. It was published in nineteen eighty seven, and it sold more than a million copies. And it drew a link between heavy consumption of animal based products and the increased risk of chronic illnesses like heart disease and obesity. It looked at environmental damage caused by factory farming. It raised ethical questions about the treatment of animals in confined conditions. So you can see maybe why I like it because you kind of know where the way I lean on the environment and on animal welfare. But you can see also how it might have a broader audience because he spoke a very common sense message. The message was that the healthiest, tastiest and most nourishing way to eat is also the most economic and most compassionate and least polluting way to eat. That was Diet for a New America, John Robbins. I mean, he was, and he's compared this way. He's compared to Rachel Carson. She's the one who wrote that book Silent Spring, that warned about how the unlimited use of agricultural pesticides like DDT had contaminated the soil, the water, threatened the health of wildlife humans, and that created the modern environmental movement that was Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring. This book, Diet for a New America is sort of the equivalent, and through the years, food writers have described this book, Diet for a New America as groundbreaking, the bible of the anti meat campaign.
Speaker 3: And I get it. I'm not on a jihad. You know, you eat anywhere you want.
Speaker 2: I'm just telling you why this person was of significance. Paul McCartney read his book, totally changed the way that he looked at factory farming, and he looked at as McCartney said, compassion and respect for life, the earth, and how much better off our world will be. But he got criticism. I mean, he was not as you might imagine whenever you're pitching this to a nation that's really not necessarily open to it.
Speaker 3: He got a lot of static, you know. But I'll tell you why.
Speaker 2: I also respect him, or at least I think this is a notable part of his bio as you look back, is now his Obit is that he was offered a bunch of money from this Baskin Robin's fortune. Again, he's related to this Baskin Robin's empire, and he pushed back on it because he didn't want that money, because of the fact that it was the industrial dairy process that created that fortune. And so at least, you know, you've got to give the guy the courage of his convictions. He very much lamented the way that cows are treated in the dairy business, and how Baskin Robbins is an ice cream company really was in a sense he looked at it as blood money. So I think this is an extraordinary guy, regardless of what you think of him ultimately or you know, how you integrate his message or don't integrate it into your life. But John Robbins, the grandfather, I'm sorry, the son of the originator, the founder of Baskin Robbins, and the author of Diet for a New America. John Robbins passes away here in California at the age of seventy seven. There's nothing I like more than going through a sad o bit, saying goodbye to someone who's made a great contribution to society, finishing that sad oh bit, and then pivoting immediately to the next host. And that's exactly what I am going to do. Now do we have there's no talkback?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well then he's off the hook, all right, no revn no no talkback. You don't have him raism on the line. No, no, okay? Well it was fun. All right, Thanks all for a great afternoon. I will see you soon and if you have a moment, you can check out my show Daily Live Show on YouTube, The Mark Thompson Show. Oh and I'll be here through Kofi this week too, doing the Cobalt Show. I'm looking forward to that as well. Ah, you're not really rid of me.
Speaker 1: Kf I am six forty on demand