Speaker 1: One of the challenges that I have is, you know, I look at the beauty of this community, how well it works. But you know, keep in mind that people self select to apply to IE House. We are an independent nonprofit. We're associated with the university. Rockefeller gifted the building to the university, but he also stipulated that the organization needs to be outside of the university. People that want to be in this environment apply here. In a lot of ways, the university set up these affinity houses or try to get these tribes to settle into, you know, communities, and then they're surprised that these tribes are finding conflict and differences with each other because they are creating echo chambers. We're the tribe, and we are different, and one of the things we have in common is that we want to be here. We want to be surrounded by people who are different than us. We want to ask questions and listen and try to understand.
Speaker 2: One thing I'm really excited to talk with you today this enter life about. You know, higher education is is such an important point of so many people's lives, and it, you know, shapes future generations and shapes kind of how folks are approaching the next part of their lives in the world. And like even you know, the kids. I have a three month old now, so he's not thinking about college yet. But like, as we know, we begin even like early on to be planning and thinking about, you know, what kind of schooling do we want our kids to have? And then you know, you know from who knows from high school certainly, but even younger people are thinking about what college they want to get into and how they want to get there. And then when you go to college, right, it's this whole experience of you know, you're freshman, moving into a dorm for the first time, what that can be like in terms of new experiences, new friends. If you're an international student, that can also totally change the equation also, right, if you're if you're totally leaving home for something else. And I think that it's it's such an important and magical and challenging and dangerous and all these things placed for folks, you know, and like, we have such interesting conversations happening across the US now in the world around the role of higher ed. We're in this crazy space as we know, twenty twenty four of political polarization seems to be reaching some kind of fever pitch in the world, right, And you know, controversy is no nothing foreign to college campuses, you know, and oftentimes they can be the epicenter of these kind of storms sometimes, and you know, I want to put that in bucket one and bucket two. Of course, as we're approaching an election cycle right here also, and that also raises questions around both polarization but also inclusive dialogue and communication with people that have different perspectives, right, And so I think there is a really important challenge that that higher rate is facing around like fostering inclusive and safe environments for different kinds of viewpoints, right, And it's it's kind of critical. I'm early excited to talk with Sean coopfer CEO of International House that you see Berkeley, which is a really interesting blend of both a kind of independent nonprofit but also connected with the university. And the Eye House has been around for you know, nearly a century, which I thought was really cool and kind of looking and getting a sense of what the organization is itself. And so you've seen a lot of challenges through Eye House of issues that the US has faced, right. There's been issues around wars and civil rights issues and you know, geopolitical upheavals and things like that, and so we're excited to get your perspective on how we can think about this and how do we build sense of hope and how we demonstrate that we can heal different cultural divides in these kinds of inclusive spaces as part of campuses. And so first was they sean great to have you. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I really appreciate being here. And I'll talk to you and your listeners right on.
Speaker 2: So diving into too this idea is like in this world where it seems like we can have these kind of social media echo chambers and political tribalism seems to be an unfortunate norm. You know, I want to hear about your work with like International House and how have you kind of begun to set and think about the tone and the space and like creating an environment where we can have multiple different kind viewpoints coming together not just to co exist, but to actually be productive in dialogue and communication with each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think to put betting in kind of the context of the history of IHOS and this is one hundred year old institution, and actually the origin story starts at nineteen oh nine. Right to give a quick history lesson the lighthouse, A man, twenty six year old man Harry Edmonds, was working at the YMCA affiliated with Columbia University. So as he's walking down the steps one full morning of the Columbia University Library, he passes a student and as you do, you say good morning. So the student stopped and it kind of sparked a conversation, and the student said, from China, I've been here for three weeks and you're the first person to talk to me. And so Harry was really touched by that interaction and went home and told his wife Florence, about you know, how isolated, how lonely, you know, the here scholars and academics coming literally halfway around the world and being pushed off into housing that is in the not most desirable places in the city, oftentimes far away from the universities. People are not acknowledging them. And this is nineteen oh nine. So I always think it's a vision of the Titanic movie comes to mind, because that's about the mean this was where this was going, whether it's what's happening, and so Florence insisted we need to do something. And what they did was they started inviting international students into their hall for what's called Sunday supper, you know, and I sit down, have a meal, have a conversation, go by the fire, have a drink, and talk about you know, just building relationships, talk about your history, your culture, your country, your points of view, you know, what are you studying. And from these just simple Sunday suppers of guests in their apartment developed this community of folks that wanted to one engage with people from around the world. And again, nineteen oh nine, people weren't flying on vacation to Europe for Asia unless they had the money to do the Grand Tour of Europe. The interaction was only their peer groups in the cities. And so you know, this, this this community of folks that wanted to saw value in interacting with people who were different than that, and people in New York that wanted to support this initiative and saw this what a great way to build lifelong friendships and build better inner cultural understanding and more respect. And you know, wouldn't the world be a great place if we were all connected in this? And so that's how we started off John D. Rockefeller as the flaff Abyss in New York, and then the Dodge family got involved and they built essentially what Harry and Florence's vision was, which was this home where they could live together, eat together, support each other, and be a center of all of this intercultural exchanges. And so the first Eye House opened up at nineteen twenty four adjacent Columbia University, is still there today. It was such a big hit that Rockefeller and Edmunds decided to open one up in Berkeley University, Chicago. There's plans for Boston where you're at right, as well as Philadelphia. However, you know, nineteen twenty nine depression hits and he was only able to complete Boston, and I'm sorry, complete Berkeley and Chicago. And so you know, that's that's what we do. Since nineteen thirty we've been here at the Berkeley campus, the building built by Rockefeller and Edmunds. We house currently about six hundred and twenty international and domestic residents. This year we just have moving week last week, so we have eighty two different nationalities in that cohort of six hundred. There's no dominant culture, I think domestic students are the biggest population at eighteen percent this year, interesting all by China, which I think is about nine or ten percent, India, France, and you know, then we go to a long list of countries that have a few representatives in this entire to meunity. So that's cool. Yeah. Our whole purpose is to you know, to bring people together that have that that interaction that was happened in nineteen oh nine in the apartment of Barring, Florence, where you meet someone new, you listen, you talk, you exchange ideas, you try to understand their perspectives better. Oftentimes that's in our dining hall. We do room and board here, so they live here and they eat here, and so that's how we facilitate these exchanges. And it's it's really is incredible. You know, you talked about the you know, the conflict on campuses recently, and Berkeley was not immune for that. I mean, certainly a lot of these you know, we haven't incammed here and we have protests here, not to the extent of Columbia or UCLA or Washington, but it didn't come into the house. People saw each other as part of the same community, and it wasn't tribal, right, The tribe is us, all of us, yeah, versus you know, the campus. The conflict is between tribes, like minded people against other like minded people, and then the friction that happens when you're in a building with six hundred people who all think differently than you. You're vulnerable, right. No one wants to stand up on a soapbox and say this is the way we all should think, because no, you're not going to get much of a group behind you supporting you. What what you do get is people who are vulnerable. And we'll talk about you know, here's my point of view, but I want to understand where you're coming from. Why is that? And that's really healthy? You know, there's civility in this house. There is discussion, there is debate, but there's not violence. There's not you know, treating people meanly. It's trying to understand and how do we find common ground to move forward. That's the all reason we existed. We've been here since nineteen you know, nineteen thirty, and this isn't the first, you know time we've been involved in conflict. Yeah, you know, you can go back through history with eye house here at Berkeley alone. You know, we were part of the free speech movement, we were part of the civil rights movement. We're here during World War two, during Japanese and tournament protecting Jopanese citizen and our our law students were writing places to get them out. So you know, we've been very active in all of these conflicts, but hopefully in a in a in a productive way. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's fascinating, and I mean as an anthropologist that this is you know, I really like this because it's you know, on the one hand, the I think incredible value of oftentimes going to uh, you know, college or university for many people because the first time they leave home, you know, in a big sense, and then having kind of an intentional place where we know folks of difference are coming together and we're not kind of providing that space for them to like live in, you know and break bread and kind of room and eat and live together. Is you know, there's there's like a dorm which you can typically think about, right, but then it sounds like this is like my house is kind of taking a bit of a next step there in like recognizing the intentional international character of so many universities, especially you know, if we're talking to the top two universities like Berkeley and Columbia and Chicago too, we orre geny folks from all over the world, right that want to come here, And so it's like, how do we provide that space? But you know, I also really appreciate the context you shared there in terms of that, and I want to think about this with you. Is that obviously, you know, we can see politics in political opinions and things, you know, find their way to college campus as we're sitting here too, which we know is quite common. But then also there's this idea of the human that I'm living with or near or next door my neighbor, right, And there's always this kind of funny point that whenever we think about polarization, it oftentimes is this kind of straw man of like the enemy, which we don't. We tend to dehumanize, right, we don't kind of think about them as as another person. But so it sounds like part of the strategy here is to kind of foreground the human. I guess, so I thought, there's a person that's that's your neighbor, that's your colleague, that's that they're having dinner with you.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I fight out of percent and you know, just to you know, one of the challenges that I have is, you know, I look at the beauty of this community, how well it works. But you know, keep in mind that people self select to apply to Ie House. We are an independent nonprofit. We're associated with the university. Rockefeller gift the building to the university, but he also stipulated that the organization needs to be outside of the university. There's a great story about why that happened and how we desegregated Berkeley as a result. You know, people, people that want to be in this environment apply here, whereas you go to a university dorm. People just need place to live, and they're not necessarily selecting a place to live because they want to be surrounded by different people. In a lot of ways, the university set up these affinity houses or try to get these tribes to settle into, you know, communities, and then they're surprised that these tribes are finding conflict and differences with each other because they are creating echo chambers and these and these tribes were us. We're the tribe, and we are different, and one of the things we have in common is that we want to be here. We want to be surrounded by people who are different than us. We want to ask questions and us in and try to understand, and not always the general dorms on campus. That's the environment. And so you know, this is something unique within the campus communities because we want to get along here. They want to they want to be challenged right in the way that they're thinking. I think you're one hundred percent right there. When you look, it's easy to call someone a label and hate them, right, Let's say, or this person represents all of these people, or they this person represents these policies or that are that I'm against, and therefore I'm against that person. When you make it a person, it's it's it's much more difficult to you know, when you have a conversation over dinner, you say, well, they carry that label, but they're not necessarily supporting the point of view that I that I kind of blanket across all of that group. They're actually more reasonable first and once you talk to them and you know they they seem to be more empathetic towards each other. And that's when you personalize these These issues. Person to person issues are never as bad as it is government or government or country to country or religion. To get religion, you know, then it's just white you know, it's white washing everything with the same point of view, when even within those communities there's a lot of diversity and thought and opinion and beliefs. And when you get down to it, you know, a lot of majority of folks are reasonable, want to find common ground, want to find peaceful solutions, and just want safety, security and a pathway to a better life for themselves and their and their family and their children. So you know, that's where we get down. I think the special sauce here is that these are personal relationships. Just really quickly, there's in our whole of history, there's a testimonial from one of our students who was a white South African that was living here during the apartheid period, and we also had a black South African in the house at the same time, and they write this beautiful testimonial that you know, back home, they would not communicate with each other, they would never have an opportunity to interact with each other, They wouldn't want to interact with each other. They would just stand across the street and you know and not have any interactions. However, in this house, they move in, they meet, they have a coffee, they start having conversations. They end up becoming friends. And you know, this is beautiful testimonial that once it became a person to person and you start opening up and sharing and trying to build understanding, a lot of this conflict goes away if there's you know, as you imagine one hundred years, there's a lot of stories like that were you know, after World War Two there was Japanese, Germans and Americans and British in this house try to kill each other a couple of years before, and now they're here together, right, and all of that goes away. So I think, you know, it all starts with interpersonal connections and communication and listening and trying to understand and not labeling, uh, you know, entire groups of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even like the the idea too that when we pause and it kind of put the human back in the frame. We we also kind of see what we share, right, I mean, it reminds me of the you know, the they probably off too often quoted, but still fun idea you know during World War two at Christmas when when you know, the access in the Allies came out of the trenches to sing Christmas songs and play play football together, you know, and it's like this really interesting idea that like, okay, yeah, we are literally fighting, but then turns out we actually do have shared in this case, shared traditions, taryed religious connections, right, and shared holidays, and like let's actually come together for that. And in like in that moment, you can see if people can come together. And then it's like it reminds us then why would we not be able to do this in a in a home that we're sharing, or in a space that were that were together too, And it's kind of a reminder that we can do it, and it's it's we're better when we.
Speaker 1: Do it right. Well, we we can do it. We have done it over you know, thousands of years of history. You know, people that we're against each other for various reasons have found ways to come together and be peaceful. You know, just looking at relative history and world wars, you know, can tell me that in nineteen forty three we saw you know, people thought of Germany as a place so we would be you know, going on vacation and we luck German people, or the Japanese or you know, any of the other you know, so it can change, you know, views can change the entire countries and cultures can find peaceful ways to move forward. And that's what we're all about here, is trying to teach that to six hundred and twenty four residents every year as we launched the mounts, like, hey, you know, we can there's other ways besides shouting down, canseling and threatening other people who disagree with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then that's such an important point too, because we are you know, on the one hand, seeing at the current moment that we're talking now this is you know, late August and twenty twenty four, but in general, like we saw like the rise in you know, around COVID and for a few years like this rise you know, from from me to move it into cancel culture. And now there's been a bit of a kind of a pushback in terms of saying, well, it's not we don't need to cancel everybody, and we need to be kind of careful about how we're deploying, you know, on the one hand, weapons of retribution, but then at the same time, like what is justice sexually? How do we actually actually bring justice forward, you know, and like the interesting challenge points that you know, on the one hand, like feel new in terms of how we're we're reckoning with and we need to reckon with things like like sexual harassment and sexual violence, especially in college campuses. Sure, and like how it's gone through Hollywood and like you know, how how the entire process through me too, and how that it's like reverberted through society. But then also things around George Floyd protests and Black Lives Matter, and there's notions of like how do we reckon with the social needs of today? But then kind of as we're talking here too, like there's I think this really interesting and important history to remember of like how we've seen other kinds of conflict, uh work, like working through conflicts in historical moments in the US that we're talking about here too, and like even thinking about how at at Eye House itself as as a place, like thinking about that as a character in a story, right, and the things that Iye House has seen in terms of conflicts and then resolutions and how folks have kind of worked through them together. I think it's really really interesting and obviously one of the you know, interesting pieces about this too, is like the you know, coming together of so many international students also, right, so we're having a lot of cultural mixing that that takes place too, And I think that's an interesting thing. I'm kind of curious to think about about that idea of like, you know, I don't know strategies or things that you found that are effective for like helping create those environments where we can we can have multiple kind of cultures come together and have space. Obviously still be some mistakes and some things that people kind of say, oh, you know, either shouldn't say that it, don't call me this or you know, not in a read way, but just like oh I didn't realize I shouldn't say X thing you know about somebody. But like, however, you find kind of strategies to help mitigate and help folks kind of come together around you know, we're bringing different cultures together in ways that can kind of work work together and kind of figure things out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they go. No. I think one thing is is because we're such an old and established institution, it's having principles and core values that you know are consistent. Obviously in this house, we have to be civil you know this is these are close courters. I can tell you when they designed, you know, the architects in nineteen thirty didn't you know, create these large living spaces for the students. These are very modest and you know all of the undergrads have to double up, they share a room with someone from a different country. By design, they forced an interaction. And so, you know, we didn't have an understanding of you know, you we all have to be civil in this environment. You know, things would fall apart rather quickly. Yeah, and so you know that's the first just nostalgect like. Look, we we understand, we're all and we can disagree and I may not agree with you, and that may make me frustrated or angry. However, I'm still going to be civil about it. And and that's where it needs to start. And I you know, it seems civility is lost in a lot of these these the current situation that you know, you hear even things that come out of people's mouths, you know, in debates, our leaders, our role models. It's just not a civil you know, it's not not civil anymore. We're not treating people kindly with respect. It's yeah, it's it's the whole other issue. And I think it's just you know, we also have to operate under free speech. You know, we have to allow every of those eighty two nationalities and all of those six hundred and twenty four people. But you know, we talked, we tend to fall back and talk about diversity because they have different passports. But the reality is economic diversity, gender diversity, I mean area of interest, and they're studying on campus diversity. You know, they're on a law, business, and engineering students. I've got, you know, some of the most obscure majors on campus in this house. For a reason. Yeah, because I want those people here. I want them to you know, what they bring is so valuable to us, to just make everything so complicated and diverts wonderful. But you can't have that if you don't if people don't feel comfortable in expressing their opinions. So you have to allow free speech in this house and understand that, you know, there's things people are going to say that you may not agree with, well that you're definitely not going to agree with. You know, welcome to a diverse world, like you know, sit down and talk to that person try to understand why they have that opinion coming up. You know, I feel there's a there's a certain level of uncomfortableness I have when we start talking about hate speech or safe spaces, because there seem to be you know, whenever you come up with policies or roles to create that, it seems like the only way to create those spaces are by excluding the certain points. And yeah, I don't I don't think that's what we're about. Because what you start excluding people, you're never going to understand that, You're never gonna have an opportunity to like, well, it's engaged in the conversation. I am baffled by why you feel this way. I really want to understand how are you raised? What is it about your culture that led you to come to this? I want to understand, you know, and that may not be a safe space for everybody, so we can find what a safe space is. Good question. Yeah, yeah, it's very ethnocentric, right, whatever you create it. So, you know, I say, blow out the gates and just let everyone have free speech under these rules of civility and listening to understand and we're not trying to indoctrinate people We're not trying to convince people. We're just trying to understand people. If we understand each other, we have a chance they move forward and find a way to coexist that doesn't include me canceling you, eliminating you, or trying to get that thought erased from history. Yeah, you know. And so I think those are the the tenants, the principles that you have to have to keep this, the magic that happens here happening, all of these things. You feel, I feel like you just we've just lot in society. I mean, I don't think social media or or the media at large has been helping us to develop diverse perspectives or deeper understanding of people who disagree. Yeah, can't find a new you know, tell me a news channel that is neutral, It will give you both sides of the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure those are there.
Speaker 1: Can tell me the algorithm that is feeding me content that I normally wouldn't find. It might help me understand an issue better. Well, now they're all focused on taking you down a rabbit hole and surrounding you by one point of view, keeps your eyes on the screen. Yeah, and I think that's you know, that's part of the situation we find ourselves is we need to find ways to allow people to open their mind to different of opinion. And again, not with the intent to change anybody's mind. That's with the intent to understand, No, just to personalize a little bit more, you know, and we come up with all these late crazy labels now you know, and yeah, and then just.
Speaker 2: I know it is. It's interesting because it's like, on the one hand, you know, it's it's like, uh, I'm not there yet. But like when you have a you know, two year old that's asking why after every single question, you know, like you get this, you know at some point, you know, you can see these exasperated parents like, well, you know, at some point and say either just because I said so, or because that's the way it is, or something right there, there's always a to be And I'm like, I want I don't want to call it a cop out answer, because I will ask me again in a year and a half. I'm like, Okay, yeah, now I see why they say that. But but in general, like this, the desire to know why is not doesn't ever come from a place of malice, right, It's like, this is this true desire to understand, right, And you know, in the the it seems in general that to the two times that we like really allow in contemporary US society, like that we really allow that and push for that is when their kids arely two or three, and then in college, which is weird, like we kind of like dropped the middle of that in terms of like really kind of talk especially for the liberalist universities, right, but like pushing this idea of like general genuine inquiry of like I'm interested in X y Z, not just learning a bunch of facts, you know, and and you know, I don't want to paint too broad up a picture of US education system, but that there's a lot of challenges about like on the one hand too in terms of you know, teaching to the test for a lot of things like this and kind of like making sure that kids get that content versus like how to either think critically or like ask questions in a deeper way and that you know, I'm glad that we see higher education institutions doing that, but it is interesting that like we don't see it getting kind of pushed earlier, and like and if we do see it, it like gets pushed into a space of privilege in terms of for AP classes, right, like advanced placement or like honors, like that's where you take a humanities or artistory class. And it's like that it's this this funny point. So I agree with you too in terms of like that we there's the media side that kind of pushes uh be an angle and that I think that has a you know, a ton of challenge based. Anything that's premised on advertising for revenue is going to do that, right, And that's exactly those algorithms because they're like funneling your attention into a certain space because then they're going to either get you to do something often buy something, you know, or pay for something in some level. And it's the other side that we have education kind of not pushing too much in terms of like actually having more genuine critical thinking skill sets, you know, sometimes until we get into university. And so this this interesting piece where it's like I've appreciated seeing so on the media side, like I've appreciated finding there's like there's a couple of apps I talked to. Alex Finger's the CEO of a company, a media company called other Web, which it is a basically nutrition labels for news media, and so you can look at it and see does it what kind of speech does it have? Like would it be inflammatory, would it be kind of neutral? Does it like so basically understanding like is it fact checked? How has it been fact checked? And so this interesting idea of like letting you understand a bit more in terms of when you're consuming content, Like he's like the same with food, like you should want to know what's in that serial? I want to know. It's like how my articles are getting made also, and so it doesn't write its own pieces, at least not right now, but it's like looks at you know, multiple sides of if you get like a piece or a story that like you might be written about in Fox News and CNN and BBC or whatever, kind of seeing like how is it talked about in slightly different ways? Which is interesting and all sides. Is another organization that does this where they kind of say, how is an issue being covered on right, left and center? But but even that point, like we expect there to be a right left and center split right and like the thing we're talking about polarization up top two in we're we're expecting to kind of say, okay, well, I'm gonna I have to be in one of these buckets, you know, versus like all of us are actually pretty much a spectrum of a lot of things, right, and like rarely we say this is the one thing that I am. And so it's interesting to kind of think about how we can help foster that idea, like the genuine curiosity and the humanity of someone in a place like I house that is recognizing that, Like we're here at you know, at Berkeley and at the Institute of Higher Education trying to help us think more critically oftentimes at least at least if I have to take that. You know that anthro on one class is one of my freshman requirements, right, you know?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: And also then like what does that mean to have it in a space like a higher education institution that often is a place where we see different views come together, like for some for some people, some kids for the first time, right, you know, they're saying up top as well. So I think it's really interesting space. And I agree, it's like civility is something that we see missing an often place. So I guess how do you think about that in terms of like we can help instill both civility, and like, so I guess one question is like how long do the folks stay? Are they there for one year or two years?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: And then because I'm kind of think about how we how do we push them forward and say keep keep keep keep with that civility, Like, how do you think about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, so residents stay here. They can stay from one semester, they can stay up to four years. And so we okay, HD studentstead of seemed to they've been here longer than I've been here. So you know, they can stay for for quite a while. I think on average they're slightly more than a year and a half in total that they stay here. So they have a good experience, a lengthy experience or exposure to this environment. And I can tell you just we have over one hundred thousand alumni that have come out of just I House, Berkeley over the years, and this experience stays with them their entire life. We had alumni reunion a few weekends ago, and I was speaking to one of our alumni. Was here in the fifties, and you know, here for one year nineteen fifty and you think about, you know, how the world has changed in nineteen fifty and how an individual's life, you know, come graduating from college, the ups and downs and changes in your career, relationships, children, grandchildren, births and deaths, and all of these things that you've been through in your life. And you know, they come back for that one experience they had for one year nineteen fifty break went back here, and they're so mostly connected to do what happens within this house. And you know, part of our mission is you know, building lifelong friendships, and they have lifelong friendships. All of these people that you know come together in this this special community and disperse are still connected decades later. So there is a really special and positive that comes out of this mixing of people. And and you know, and talking to people who you disagree with, it ends up you know, these may be your friends for lives. Even though you know that, I mean end of this place. You may just point at your banker and say I hate that person. You live with them and you you know, have a drink with them and you you know, do all the social things that we do, or have dinner upstairs with them, and you realize, well, this is a great person that there's only one sliver of things that we disagree on, but we can get past that. So it's it's the you know, and there's so much unpack with what you just said too, as you were talking about, you know, the whether or not we're trying to you know, teach to tests in education, whether we're trying to teach you know, critical thinking and education. You know, I think that's that's where we start, is we're trying to understand what do we try to do with education, whether it's hey through twelve or higher end. What what is the purpose of all of this? You know, I spent fourteen years of my life in China in education, higher education. My wife is Chinese. My kids are ten and twelve, so they're still very used to asking why, yeah, that question about university and college. You know, you start thinking about it when they're three months old, but you're continually thinking about it build for another eighteen years. But it's quite different. You know, it's me a year to really understand that the you know, the objectives of a Chinese education system are quite different than what I went through in the United States, and uh, you know, where we were focused a lot on, at least when I went through school, really a lot about critical thinking and asking questions and challenging the status. Oh where in China it was more rote learning. It was you know, you have this this this Galcow test. At the end, it's going to determine whether you go to a top university and middle level university or you going to go get a job. And how you do on that test on that one day determines, you know, the trajectory of your life, not just you but your family. That's pressure. So there's a lot of pressure to do well on one test. And so of course that system is going to be supporting outcomes of that test at the end. So it is a lot of rote learning. It is, you know, teaching you to to be very strong in in process and understanding concepts. But where where I found they were Where the US students were week generally weak in math and science is but good at asking questions and challenging people, you know, in China was quite opposite. They were very good about, you know, figuring out how to how to get things done in science and math and how to answer questions. They weren't it on was questioning why or you know, coming up with another opinion on their own. Oh, you know, you look at the education system they were they were designed and set up to do different things, and so you have to start off like what is what are we trying to do in higher education? What are we trying to do in universities? Is it? You know, to liberal arts is probably different than if you come Berkeley, you know, the business school, the engineering schools. It's teaching you knowledge that's going to help you, you know, get into uh great, great positions in jobs in industry and lead there. So it's it's you know, where do we start. I come from the opinion of what what works here at I House is that you know, we're not trying to teach anyone what to think. You know, we're we're not indoctrinating anybody. And you know, if if that's your goal in kindergarten and you know K through twelve is to indoctrinate them to all believe in what way? Then yeah, thinking goes out the window and there's going to be you're teaching people that there's one way to think and everything else is wrong. And I you know, you're an anthropologist, so you know this much better than I would go back in history and the great societies, like you know which great societies were built on narrow point of view. Todd to everybody and everything else was wrong. That's usually when they start to decline. He's like, when you start eliminating saying, we don't like what these people are saying, therefore we need to eliminate it. That doesn't kill fought right. You can kill people, but you can't kill thoughts or ideas. I'm sure. I'm sure that's been several movies. I certainly not my quote great line. Yeah, yeah, you know, but you know, as I look back at my memory of history is the great societies were built on discussion, debate, the ability understanding, not out of fear that someone has an idea that's different than mine and they may be right, so I eliminate that right. So yeah, I think, you know, we're kind of in this path now where we're you know, we're trying to get k through twelve to being doctrinating people versus giving them this information and teaching them how to look at things critically and to ask the right questions and and and not bet actually arrogant where they I'm right, everyone else is wrong, And you're not going to move me off my position because I know I'm right, I'm smart of the right. It's like wait, wait, hold on, Yeah, yeah, I mean that's you know that. And there's been there's been research done. There was a report out of Eye House, New York. They just an impact report they just did and they surveyed a lot of their alumni and looked at, uh, looked at some qualities of our Eye House alumni versus benchmarking them. And yeah, they're as you would imagine. They're more central in their political views and more centrists. They're less you'll actually arrogant. They recognize that they know what they know, but they also know they know a lot. They don't know everything, and they're willing to listen and learn and trying to understand things and continually, you know, grow their ideas and to grow their understanding. But they give more in charity, they give more time to the community. I mean, just a lot of benefits that come from this environment that I think, are you know, things we want to encourage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, totally. That sounds great And I agree where it's like when we are able to foster those spaces of kind of intentional bringing together of difference and we have a ground rule or kind of a first principle of civility, right, It's such an important piece, you know. And on the one hand, I think like there are natural questions that we would kind of point towards critical thinking of it, just like oh, why does the person have that practice or that the way they're cooking that food smells weird? And like that may lead to series of questions of how do we produce food, you know, and wider ingredients, like why then kind of saying am I smell weird? But then I'm saying, well, why am I saying that's weird? Like maybe they think what eating smells weird? Right, and kind of this kind of reflection.
Speaker 1: Well, having living overseas, I can tell you, well, you think is weird, someone thinks as delicious. Well you think delicious, someone else thinks is weird? Right, you know, And and that's you know, you hate to simplify it too much, but ultimately there's a reason there's thirty one flavors at Basket Robin, a lot of people with a lot of different tastes. And when you think about you know, you expand that, Well, why we just talking about ice cream? You can talk about food, you can talk about political views, you can talk about social views and value systems. Is that there's a whole It isn't polarized. It is a you know, a whole continuum of differences across the board. And I don't even think it's women or where it's left, right or rich and more. Is that it is this this, this beautiful like bubble of folks that I feel and think different ways. And when you see them that way, it's it's easy to understand that. You know that there's a luck going on in the world that I are not that are different than me, and I'm comfortable with It's okay, Yeah, I'm like everybody else. I got the difference of opinion, you know, just like everyone else has a different being and doesn't mean someone has to be right. We can all, you know, we can all have different views and and still be right. Yeah. True.
Speaker 2: It makes me think that. The earlier this year, I was talking with Byron Reese. He's a futurist thinker writer, and he wrote, Uh, He's had a lot of work on AI and kind of the changes in technology, but his latest book was this. I don't know if it was a left or right turn or upside down turn, and it's some weird turn, but it it was on like the hypothesis that humanity is actually a super organism. And I'm not going to ask you to say if you think that is the case or not, but like, but the idea in terms of like how we operate at scale now as humans. You know, as a city itself cannot function like and you can't pull it apart and have like just the different system work by itself. But we can actually do things at these crazy scales now. And it's it's interesting to think about this idea that why do we see systems? And actually I'll relate this to like the the I think the good point you're making too in terms of what we see great civilizations and societies doing, like by bringing in essentially diversity, right, by bringing in different perspectives and ways of approaching things like in the same way of evolution. What makes evolution work better and what might make something bigger work better, is that it has multiple inputs that are different, right, and so it tries a bunch of things out. Evolution tries a bunch of stuff out right, and then some things don't stay and some things do stay, right, And that's why we have appulsable thumbs, you know, and it tastes for sugar.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like this these interesting ideas to kind of think about something like how we create these intentional microcosms, like with with a group of eighty six nations in my house is a one excellent experiment of diversity. But then also this is pointing towards this idea that like we can do more, and we as a as a species, we're kind of weird of this, but we're able to do more when we scale up by bringing a bunch of difference together. Right, It's not about having like just one perspective, and from evolutionary perspective, that's sup dangerous. It's like if you only grow one kind of crop and you get a bug or the season goes bad, you lose everything. But if you have three or four or five or eighty five different kind of crops and biodiversity, you're much more likely to survive. Something challenges ey research and agriculture and produce. So this is why I'm bringing up that. But like the food stuff, I think is always very cool too because it is this interesting point of like recognizing biodiversity works well for like mitigating environmental challenges, but human mental, and kind of spiritual and cultural diversity also works really well too for approaching problems, right, And that we also don't need one solution, right, We actually need a bunch of different ways of working together to solve especially some of the bigger problems that we're facing. You know, we talk about polarization, which which is a problem, but it's one of those like very much we've made it by saying here's the splits in the size. But I think you're also right that the idea of like the big kind of bubble, that's maybe I think of the super organism. It just like it's a lot of coming together that is actually what is actually what allows us to change and do better at scale, right, and the kind of and we need that kind of diversity. So I don't know I'm seeing it. I don't anything that resonates, but I feel like that that's it gives something important to think about it, like what we what we do about intentional community right now? Why we need that? Right, we're seeing a huge prise. I'm curious if you see this as well, Like we know that there's been a huge rise in especially with gen Z. You know, you're talking about mental health and saying that we need that's something that matters to to gen Z folks and they want to make sure that they have either support and space for that and be able to talk about that, whether at university, school or at the job, at the workplace that they're in. And you know, thinking about how we are changing conversations right to have these these new kinds of spaces. You know, what do you kind of see as the role of you know, higher reed in an eye house, like in helping shape having that space right that we can we can kind of change the conversation. We can bring in more, more types of topics, more types of folks.
Speaker 1: To do that.
Speaker 2: Like how how does high red in your perspective work to help us do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you's something you just touched on. I was having a conversation with week with being my age and being around and as long as I have, you tend to see how patterns repeat themselves, or how the pendulum switched one way and then it comes back together. I was having a conversation with one of my one of my staff who's good a few generations behind me, and he was commenting about his generation, this generation, this university of generation and talking about mental illness and how you know, he made the comment that, well, you know, my generation is really trying to undo all the damage that your generation did. And I, you know what, I was thinking the same thing when I was your age about my parents' generation. And I it's not like it's a hard shift from generation to generate. It's it's slow. It's a slow evolution of of change. And you know, I would have said the same thing at his age about my parents. And you know how I grew up. And so everyone looks back and you know, criticizes previous generations, but those of us in the previous generation like, we're just doing the best we could with what we have. And yeah, we didn't focus so much on on mental wellness as a group. We didn't. We probably internalized too much. We didn't work, we weren't good at sharing. However, we were different than the generation before us, and we felt we moved the needle, moved the ball alone. Yeah, and just then that's the perspective we need to take, not that we're just drawing all the damage my generation did, but they're just continuing that evolution. And yes, you know, evolution needs variety, You need diversity to find those better ways of doing things, and that's you know, in the organization here, I'm all about continual improvement. We try new things, we measure the impact, and if it was a positive impact, then we keep doing it. If it's not, we learned something, we try something else. But if you're afraid to try new things because of fear of failure, then then you're kind of stuck and and you're not advancing at all. So I agree, like you know, you have to have all of this diversity of thought. Of that. I didn't come from an anthropologic background. I came from a business and management background, which was like, if you're a leader and you're going to make a decision, you don't want to be surrounded by people who are telling you what you already know. That's what's challenging you and asking you the right questions so that you can be sure that your decision is the right one, or to be pivoted off of Well, I didn't think about that. Thank you for creating that. I'm going to make it. I'm going to maybe pivot my decision a little bit because of what you were able to bring to And that means you need diversity and yet they see anyone quote resources those you know, diverse teams underperform.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, fake that's fake news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so it seems to be you know, let's just take that and just you know, and just and just feel comfortable that. Yeah, surrounding yourself with difference of opinions and civility and with listening and understanding and and empathy is going to lead everyone to have a better result and we'll be doing it together. So it's yeah, it's it's it doesn't feel like the windsor at our back right now with all of this society feels you know that you know, you see all these these photos of you be like, this is your globalism, you know, this is your multicultural you know, and and and it's always bad scenes. It's not Yes, it's not people coming together who are different with their arms around each other saying you know, you know, trying to get something accomplished. Positive. It's always you know, we need to isolate, We need to put ourselves in tribes, otherwise they're going to attack us and take us over or ruin our way of lives. Yeah, and you know that I have a hard time understanding why why we're going that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wish we knew too. It is a tricky thing because it's like it's funny too because like when you spend more time either in an international context, right, or with people that are just different from you for an extended period of time, you come to kind of lose that that fear, right, You kind of lose that that idea that like, oh, someone's going to steal something from me, you know, like I'm going to lose my way of life if I if I learned to listen to to somebody else that that is different from me. And it's like this this funny point of like never does that happen actually, right, And actually you realize you're actually better off because you actually have a whole new perspective, right, you have you have new tastes, you have new kinds of friends, you know how to interact in a way that you didn't know you know before, right. And so it's this funny point that like it is this very flat narrative that's like fear based, right that if I if I bring in difference, I'm going to change or it's threatening my way of life and they want to make it different blah, blah blah, you know, but it's like the more time you spend with with as humans, with other humans that are that are different from you, Like that's not ever really the response of like, oh crap, I'm losing my way of doing X. You know, It's more like I might be wrestling with an evolution of how things are changing, how I'm thinking about things, right, But never is like I got screwed because I was living with people that are different from me, right, And so it's funny that we let the narrative like that such such a you know, and I think in part media right, that we let that narrative be so loud and common, right that it's kind of like we're gonna be like we don't have to be afraid. It's okay, like we can actually like it's it's nice they don't have to like go run and do something that's totally different. But like being near and with folks that have different perspective, different cultures than you is quite helpful. And and I think to your point too, like you don't have that an anthropology background, Like I appreciate your point of like a business background is super important, right, and and yourself you've worked in many international contexts also, which I think is really important. And like from folks I've talked to, I've been been doing this podcast for ten years, and like folks that have international experience always do better and they always like find it more of a human angle with the work that's doing right, And especially I talked with a lot of a lot of business leaders too, and one because I'm really interested with the work in business also, but like I'm interested in these questions of like how do we build better businesses for the future, right, And like in higher education is also a business right, and like thinking about inside of it, we see faculty wrestling all the time with like you know, how do I either, like on the one political side, divest from certain things, but on the other side, like I have to you know, do my administrative work and then make sure that I'm getting the right kind of you know, coursework and research and all things like. It's it's all still part of a business machine in its own way, as much as some people might limit that. But that's not a bad thing. It's just kind of getting a sense of, like how do we run businesses in more human ways? And so I'm kind of curious your perspective having worked across a number of different contexts in many different higher ed spaces, but also internationally, like how have how does how's that shifted the way you think about business and kind of running and leading an organization, and also especially this one that's like in an institute of higher education for folks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think it is that. You know, I've never been afraid to, you know, jump from rock to rock. So you know, I finished my MBA and started teaching and had a one year contract to go to Beijing to teach in China. And I'd never stepped foot in China before that, so you know, I was in a position of my life is that sounded great? When I did do my NBA, China was in every class and none of the faculty had ever visited China, and so I had this opportunity to go live there and work there and experience the culture for the first time. And you know, for me, and I always had a bit of a risk taker quality to me, so I jumped at it, and that one year turned into thirteen years. And then you know, when you immerse yourself, you know you are very much on the defensive and uncomfortable a lot of the time because, yeah, I was not the norm over there, and the language challenges, the culture challenges. You realize that they have a way of organizing and running their lives that is very different than how I do it or how I was raised doing it, and in some ways it was better. Yeah. Yeah, And then so realized, well, there's a lot of different ways to do things. Well, it's not a right way in the wrong way. There's probably one hundred different ways to do it that are right. Some of them may be better than others, but you know, it's it's It just gave me the perspective that people around the world think and do things differently and it works for them. So who am I to go flying around the world drop in this country complain that, you know, all they eat here at eleven o'clock at night. That's ridiculous. Why would you eat eleven pm? It works for that part of their culture. It's not right or wrong, it's just different, and if you're going to go there, expect it to be different. We have there's something just kind of an introl joke here, you and we have. You know, we're based in the US, and my staff want to be home by ten o'clock at night to be with their families. And of course, part of our community here are you know, maybe folks from countries where they eat very late at night, and so of course they want us to extend our eating hours, you know, our dining hall hours. And I'm like, look, I understand where you're coming from. But when I go to Spain, for example, I don't expect the restaurants to change for me, and I can't change for you my staff. All Americans live here, you know, this is a regular eating time for us. We shut down at ten o'clock and they want to clean up and go home, and you know, you've got to adapt to that too. We can't cater to everybody because they're all different. Yeah, yeah, I mean, I think I just was exposed at an early age that I traveled around a bit. I did spend time in Europe growing up at Irish school, and people do think differently, people have different views of the world, and I was I never had the idea that there was one way of doing something, and all these experiences just ought me that, Wow, they do it differently, and that's kind of better than how I was doing it. They or we you know, how they're doing it doesn't work for doesn't really seem to be very effective, but you know how they're doing it somewhere else is. And so yeah, I just had that perspective of the you know, there isn't a right and a wrong that there's there's a lot of different ways to do things. They can all be very effective depending on the context and culture. And so yeah, I felt comfortable being in those uncomfortable uh situations, and and and learning and growing from them. Yeah. Everyone not everyone has an open growth mindset. A lot of people have close mindsets and you know, they're very you know, those are the faculty that would come to China to teach and then within six weeks they took a runner and the aid of the Night flew home. Man couldn't handle it.
Speaker 2: Uh Yeah, I mean that's a good point too. It's like you have to you have to on one and also be like be but you have to have a growth mindset, but then also be open so that it is going to be different, right, And then like that's uh, it's that's also the kind of thing I think that that Eye House does a really good job at is helping all these students recognize that, like, we're going to be in a space of difference and diversity because we have eighty six different countries represented here and then there could be multiple cultures within each of those, right, and like so expecting difference, but also this idea too of like helping folks recognize that when you're if you're in the US to the certain norms that we have in terms of like when when we typically would eat in this in this country. I know it can obviously be very different, but just like, yeah, like if folks want to go home at ten pm, that's uh, you know, it'd be very tough to be like, you guys need to say till midnight, you know, if that's not a not a common not a common practice. You know, it's like we're not a bar, you're.
Speaker 1: Roight, Yeah, that's Look, it's just appreciating and recognizing the cultural differences that we all have and being flexible and and and have grace with other people that have do things differently, try to understand why they do it that way, and not judge people for doing things differently. I mean, just giving people space to be who they are and and not just about well, you know, I pay a lot of money to stay here. You need to do it my way. I'm the customer. It's like, oh, you know, this is a community of folks that are different, and we need to try to I just be ping ponging from one group to another group if I listen to you know, keep it later, open up earlier, you know. Right, Yeah, it's just it's just we have to find a place where we can all be comfortable with way things are understanding. It may not be my way, that it's what works for the community, so we kind of put the community out of ourselves.
Speaker 2: I think that that's a brilliant point actually, because because I like the contrast you just made there in terms of that this is not about the the the customer is always right, Like, that's the wrong attitude in this case. This is about community, right, And like, how do we actually think more intelligently rather than calling everything a transactional relationship because they have a customer at paying for a thing. It's like there's money exchange to be here. But like you know, me and my landlord, if I'm renting or if I'm buying the bank, it's like, you don't want to just have this one transactional relationship. You want to both know them, you know, and like in this case even more so, like having a community as part of that, Like a really really important piece for us to remember too, that like we're not a bunch of just transactions in other people's lives, even though we might there be that part of it, but like really three D is see what we're ultimately looking for, and like help them keep that the foregraming.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really good point. And yeah, I think that's because where you know, I'm not a new organization, like I keep I said, you know, a hundred years old. We've been doing this. We know the way we operate, you know, well, some things have changed a lot, some things have not changed. And the idea that we have to you know, try to create a space that all six hundred folks can have the same level of experience with all the differences, and we rely on core principles and values to do that. You know. I think that's where universities have kind of struggled at the moment, is that they you know that they seem to be flexible on their values and their principles, you know, well, and now they're you know, they want to talk about free speech on campus, and that's you know, certainly messages coming out as as a campus is reopening after the summer break, and I'm like, well, where was that when you were you know, allowing a group of students to threaten protesting violence against a speaker coming to campus. Where were you standing up and being strong and saying no, freedom of free speech is vital for us, and we're not going to let one group decide whether or not the speaker's got to be invited or whether or not people have an opportunity to listen and try to understand where they're coming from and why they come well, you know, from their point of view, and they were very quickly, you know, they very quickly canceled people from speaking on campus because a certain group would offended. They may be a very offensive speaker did. But I'm interested in hearing what they have to say and asking hard questions about why they feel that way and how they you know, how do they got to this point in their whole play where they feel so strongly that it's just I want to understand. I want to ask questions, I want to challenge people, I want to understand people better and canceling them and saying, you know, I'm throwing free speech. Well, it's we do believe in free speech, however, not here, not there, not here, and our universities are trying to stand up and say a free speech we allow. And that's the challenge is that you have to be strong with your principals and and unwavering. Yeah, otherwise it's you know, I think that's the challenge. And we think about how we left the spring term after graduation with all this violence and up people on the campuses. And you know, one thing about universities is you know there's graduation, everyone goes home and a lot of this cools down as people disperse, and now we have residents coming back to campus or the students coming back to campus. You've got this political cycle. It's not going to be just about election day. It's going to be election day to the to the beginning of January. And what's going to happen after January? And you know, there's it's and the situation the Middle East is not significantly changed, right it was when they left, And so you know, the cooling off period of the summer for these universities, everyone has had a chance to kind of reflect on how they handled things in the past and how are they going to handle things differently this year. And it'll be interesting to see how these universities deal with the protests that are going to happen on campuses relatively quickly and what they take the position of some of the other universities. We're bringing the police, we're clearing the camps, we're you know, we're p or we're going to sit down with folks. We're gonna have discussions. We're going to try to you know, find solutions and and peaceful solutions and move forward, you know, which is what we essentially had here at Berkeley. Yeah, yeah, you think about you know, I saw what was flaring up at Columbia University, you know, being here at Berkeley, and you know this is you know, student protests where we were, you know, that's that's part of our brand here, is student protests. Yeah, you know, and uh, and I was expecting it to be as bad as Columbia, and it was. MM administration worked with the with the protesters. They said some ground rules about civility and you're allowed to protests, but don't block that entry, don't you know, don't be violent and they negotiated with them and it was a peaceful resolution. Berkeley what them on the front of Fox.
Speaker 3: News every night, which you know is helpful, which is you know, surprising, right, Yeah, because it was handled well, not every verse you took that approach.
Speaker 1: That that is very true.
Speaker 2: I think that that's a super valuable point too, in terms of you know, both being upfront about what one's values and principles are and then sticking with them, like as because these are the moments when that actually matters, right, because it's like, these are the moments when your values are actually tested, right, where your principles are tested, Because it's how do you respond in a scenario where if you're for for free speech but them saying only certain people get to get to speak, and then talking about what that is and why, And I can say, if we're sitting those ground rules, what does that look like? But then also saying, okay, are we actually sticking to different principles? And I think you're right. We see it in the higher education, but we also see it again like within professional organizations with cultural organizations, so it isn't interesting and challenging important in businesses too. They got they got kind of under fire for different reasons, you know, but like but still you see when there's there's not values being lived out, I think kind of one you know, there's maybe that a wrap up question, but just like this this idea that like I'm kind of thinking about obviously as we think you've touched on this is like we are, of course heading into the selection season, so it's interesting to think about the universities kind of get that cool off period in the summertime when folks kind of go away. But you know, so thinking about like as we're heading into that season for folks, like you know, what do you see kind of with some of those challenges or opportunities right like that like campuses can do to help kind of foster that constructive dialogue, you know, to bring those those pieces in. So I'm like, if if folks were saying, Okay, all right, I got I need to do one or two or three things, and I can't sell it to those things, like what are some advice you to have for like other higher education leaders or folks that are trying to think about, Okay, we know we're going to have either protests, we know we're going to be having a conversation at least around elections and around January and be beyond. So like, how do we how do we think about the challenges and opportunities that are coming up, and like what would you what would you say to other higher admins and leaders to try to how do we navigate this in the you know, smartest way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I could only speak from the universities I've been a part of. And one of the challenges is that, you know, the loss of what what I would consider kind of a campus community where the students, the fact lead administration, and everyone sees themselves as part of the same community. Yeah, and or even departments looking at one department to the other department. You know, a lot of times these things are just so siloed and so tribal, and it's the administration the faculty against the administration, and it's the you know, the students against the faculty. It's you know, the budget against everybody. Yeah, yep, you know. And I think for the first part is these universities have to start healing their communities so that you know, they are seeing that they put you know, we're part of Berkeley before I'm part of the school or part of what my role is within this community as student, faculty or administrator. But I put just like when I look at politics, our problem is we're putting our party ahead of our country. We should always put our country ahead. They look, the most important thing is this is this country, and I would never sacrifice, you know, something for my party ahead of my country. Right now, it's kind of feels very flipped, yeas anything. The same thing with university instead of you know, I'm faculty ahead of the university or I'm a student ahead of the university, like, except that we're all part of the same campus community and we need to come together within that and and talk about these real issues that we're facing in civil ways, you know, and trying to listen and understand everybody's perspective. And depending whether you're a faculty or a student or administrator, you're coming at these issues with a different point of view because there's there's trade offs and that are that may be affecting you but not the other groups or vice versa. And so the more we can sit down and talk and understand each other's point of view, is more likely we are to come together and find a solution that I think what we see is just this breakdown of any kind of community campus community. And so you know, I would start with mending, mending communities on campuses, and then that gives you a place to bring people together and start to have conversations and how do we deal with these things? And and and and you know, reinforce your principle. Look, we're never gonna get anywhere if I try to shut some of you down because I don't like what you're saying, you know, because then we're all pointing our fingers at each other, right, and we're never gonna get anywhere. So let's just allow us to come together talk freely. Don't agree. That's why this is a big diverse world. Most people don't agree. However, you can all still get along and uh and find a way that we're competing for resources, sharing resources that benefit all of us. Yeah, that's the that's the economic side of me coming out.
Speaker 2: But I think it's a great point too, And I think that is actually super important because it is like it comes similar to what you're saying before too in terms of the you know, it's not the customers, right, but it's that the community needs to be put first, right, And like and thinking about that too. I love this idea for the campus community too, and like when we can't sit down with folks and like recognize that we're if we're in this together, then we are not competing for resources, right, we like we are the resource also, you know, Yeah, that's it's an important part of the thing.
Speaker 1: I think so well, you know, the a lot of the conflict on the campus is and you know, as I looked at the campuses that were on the front of the front page every day because of the protests and powers had a lot of times, it wasn't necessarily the campus community that was causing the conflict. It was outside agitators. People beloved the community coming to the campuses, and you know, that's a tough one to handle because they're they're priority is not you know, being part of the university community and running you know, it's it's trying to make this an area where I can you know, get my viewpoint out there to the world. And uh, and that wasn't helpful. I can say in Berkeley here we didn't have the amount of outside agitators as as as some of these other campuses saw. I think that's one of the reasons we didn't see so much protest and violence.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there's I think that's that's a good point too, in like, uh, that's a sequel conversation we should have, I think we need to have in terms of like how do we think about that, because it's like we do want to both build communities that are inclusive, but then also recognizing like what is the on the one hand, like what are the bounds of the community that we're defining, but then also one of the again principles in the like the the kind of foundation that we're building off of. In like, if you are coming from a different community, you still have to respect the fact that we have a foundational principle of civility, right, and you're not living up to that, you know, and so therefore you can't Like we're not saying you can't have free speech, but if you are coming here and causing violence or kind of if you're in essence messing with the broader community, like that's a very different thing and treating people uncivilly, you know, then than expressing your perspective, right, and like it's like one of they both, right, you can't you can't express yourself and be uncivil you have to do you have to also be civil right as part of that. That's interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, there are there are folks out there, there are groups of folks out there that you know, seem to be driven around breaking down, breaking things, breaking things down, you know, creating chaos and and and up people and violence. And you know, we again acting uncivilly right, and so we need to somehow figure out. Yeah, it's interesting times, you know, I I as I do feel like I'm in a bit of a bubble here at IOUs because you know, we we we just don't have a lot of what we're talking about. What happens across the street doesn't seem to carry out when they walk into the door of eye outs. And I would hope that you know that the lessons that we learn from from this experience in some ways translate into society. That there's some things we can learn from here. Diversity does work if you have just basic ground rules and and again you focused on trying to create a diverse community that works, and not trying to convince a diverse community that my way works. Yeah, and so it's a it's an incredible place to be. I I'm very very fortunate to be where I'm at and doing what I do possible, and uh, it's it's it's an incredible organization.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it sounds super excited, like a very very cool organization. I agree, and I'm excited for us to check it out. We'll put we'll put links in the show notes to check out Eye House and all the work that yall are doing. So I think I think it's really important and it's a reflection now too, like if we're in a space that can be an epicenter of protests, like on a university campus, that like when you enter the door of Eye House, like we don't see that, we see the stability kind of kicking or like the kind of like animosity doesn't seem to enter into that space. And that's an important and I think valuable lesson for folks to recognize and realize too, like we can set these spaces on purpose. And so I think you're doing some some great work. I'm excited to see that. It's it's kind of like they've been going for so long and that it's going to keep keep rocking. So I think it's it's an important reminder that like we want to we want to do this. We want to build together right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, like I said, we've been doing this for one hundred years and where we're at right now and being the role I'm at, it's looking at the next time years and seeing you know, we do have this power to convene to bring the community together. Because we don't we're a political we don't have a point of view. You know. Our point of view is bring people together. And so we can bring folks from all sides into Eye House and have conversations. And I think, you know, part of my one hundred year vision if you were asked me what you know, what I would that's my nice question. I want house in every university uh in the world, you know, a place for these communities to come together, put their difference to the side and try to listen and understand. You know. I think in some ways, like a zipper, you know, the Ie House can be the start of bringing campus communities together. And I hope in some ways that we've been able to do that here with Berkeley and University of Chicago and likewise. So you know, I it's a it's a it's a benefit to the campus communities. So awesome cool enough.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I mean it sounds like we need to build build some more eye houses and or like build some training programs based off of that we can we can bring to the universities or something. Programs we have there you go see are you are you ready.
Speaker 1: And let's let's chat in a few years.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool. Also, that sounds great. That's a great so Sean soon Carver thinks so much joining me on the POTEA. That's been great to talk with you. I'm getting super enthused by the work that you're doing in an Ie house as as a kind of begon for folks to be able to see what's the place we can actually come together to have conversation and and uh, you know, bring stability to it. So yeah, keep doing the great work. I appreciate you taking the time to converse and dialogue today. It's been been a lot of fun and yeah, let's let's keep rock and roll.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it. Thank you so much for the opportunity. Christen