Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 2: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 1: The kids are playing the trail off their countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, Goldplay Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now? Here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 3: You may not know it, but today is actually a big day. Not because it's our last day without football for the next what four days?
Speaker 2: Five days?
Speaker 3: And that's that's been the case the last few weeks, but actually today's the last day we're gonna be without football to watch and wager on until Thanksgiving starting to borrow. There will be football on your TV every single day until November twenty seventh, So fifty five consecutive days of football thanks to Conference USA and the MAC because they're going to have gay games on Tuesday Wednesday.
Speaker 2: And it's a great thing. It's awesome. Soak it in. We made it.
Speaker 3: You know, football is going to be here for a while, and it's exciting. It's Coffee and Company. I hope you guys are excited about that. I'm excited to be here today. My name's Nick Coffee. The company mana John all On alongside. I won't speak for him, but I can just tell he's excited today.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm in a great mood, and I think a lot of it has to do with the extra dose of sunshine we're getting today.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, I don't know how accurate the vehicle I'm driving is when it comes to the thermostat by the way, I've driven every vehicle that iHeart has. I think I've driven one that like is not even ours. Maybe it's supposed to be in Lexington, because I've been using company vehicles until I get my car back. And you know, there's certain vehicles that are I mean, I don't know if they're assigned to certain people, but you know, if you are going to a remote for AMZ or for KSR or for HAS, like I guess anybody who is in charge of those productions, those remotes, you know they have, They've got a vehicle they take each time, so you know, one day this one who's needed. So all right, I'll take the gep, all right, I'll take the Durango. I'll take the I don't even know what it is that I'm driving right now. It's a Dodge something, but it said seventy five on the thermostat, and I don't know if that's accurate or not, but I believe it because seventy five's no not it's actually some would say perfect. But you're throwing that breeze. We got going on today, and it's a very, very beautiful day, so enjoy it, everybody. As I mentioned, we are fueled by Thornton's I think I mentioned that. I know you know that, but I'm supposed to say it, and I love saying it. I say it a lot. You guys know it, and you'll hear me say it many times throughout I don't know, hopefully forever. Thornton's been a big time partner of ours for quite some time and I don't see that changing anytime soon. As I told you guys a few weeks ago, they re upped with us for another year. So that means we're doing something right, and that means you guys are doing something right. You're helping me because them seeing value and what we're doing here means that you guys are showing some love too, so keep that up. Certainly appreciate it. If you've not signed up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program, you should because you'll save money at the gas pump and you'll benefit from it in a variety of ways. The Frequency club, the giveaways they have throughout the year. So Refreshing Awards dot Com is the website, and that'll get you to where you can download the app, whether you have an Android or an iPhone, and you'll be good to go. All right, So, not a great game this week in college football. Like I'm looking here at the top ten matchups courtesy I think this is from This is a graphic that I saved. I think it came from either twenty four to seven Sports or maybe on three, and they're ranking the biggest matchups of the week. And I have a you know, if Missouri and Texas A and M is the best matchup of the week, I mean, isn't that pretty telling? No offense to the SEC. But like, you know, A and M. They're still ranked, but you know, I don't think they've had a game where you can really figure out if they're any good or not Missouri, you could say the same exact thing. Boston College, by the way, should have beat Missouri. It's kind of an under talked about game that you know, was really a close one that Boston College. I shouldn't say they should have won, but they were right there with the ball with a chance to score and win it, and they came up short. So I have no clue what's gonna happen. But that's not a game that I think a lot of people are juiced about. Not a ranked matchup this week meeting. There's no ranked teams playing each other. So to see Louisville and SMU as the fifth best matchup here, I mean, I think that's pretty telling one as far as what the week looks like for college football. And I don't want to overdo it. But I also think, like you know, for only the program involved in the game, Louisville and SMU, and I guess those watching the ACC race, I mean maybe they know it. I'm sure nobody else knows or cares. But it's a big game and I don't want to overdo it because you know, I don't want to say seasons on the line here, but if in fact the goal was to get back to Charlotte. A loss here doesn't make that impossible, but it makes it, you know, pretty unlikely. And it may be unlikely right now because, as we discussed yesterday, the way the schedule sets up, I mean, you gotta win this. You gotta win the games you're supposed to win, and you got to split with Miami and Clemson. A lot easier said than done. And I'm sure SMU is looking at this as I was gonna say, the biggest game since they've been in the ACC. I'm pretty sure this is what their second ACC game. But think about it, like, right now, there are four teams that I think people realistically think could find their way to the ACC championship game in Charlotte. The obvious two are Miami and Clemson. After that, it's Louisville and then SMU. But not because SMU is viewed as this team that's gonna run through the league because they're elite. Their schedule, this is the last ranked opponent that SMU is gonna play. I mean, I was I was kind of speechless yesterday on the show. I don't know if it was the four o'clock hour or the five o'clock hour, I don't remember, but I kind of stopped in my tracks when somebody on the text line kind of asked, you know, hey, you know, if we want to get to the AEC Championship game, you know you gotta split those two games.
Speaker 2: And you're right. I mean, you never know.
Speaker 3: I guess crazy things can happen, but like, if you don't want to bank on some very unexpected result playing out, then take care of business and try to split with with those two teams Clemson in Miami. But when I looked at SMU schedule just to kind of see who may have the best chance of getting there, SMU has a very very manageable schedule. They got the gift that Louisville got last year, but then again they kind of didn't because last year Louisville they didn't have to play Miami or they'd have to play North Carolina, Florida State or Clemson. And in the end, only one of those teams ended up being really good, which is Florida State. But SMU got Florida State. They just got them, and nobody knew they were going to be as bad as they are, so like they got past that one if they get past Louisville at that point, they can put it on cruise control. Not to say that they won't slip up, because I'm not really sure how good they are, but they're playing well now, and like this is a huge like in early October, they can, they can potentially, and I don't think they're going to. I think Louisville will win their touchdown favorites for a reason. But like if you're SMU, you look at this, it's like, Okay, we get this done and then we just stay focused and you know, try not to screw up, and we should find ourselves in Charlotte, which is crazy, but that's that's where we are. So Duke, they're undefeated, but like I don't know if anybody really thinks Duke's good. I mean, who's Duke's best win? Maybe Northwestern, I guess, I guess North Carolina, but like North Carolina is terrible this year. I mean, it's a big win for them because of the rivalry. But you know, so this game actually has uh you know, and here's the thing. Louisville could beat SMU and then SMU could win out when it comes to conference games. But if Louisville loses to both Clemson and Miami, which again they're gonna be underdogs. I mean, SMU is gonna have the have the spot ahead of you.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: You know, we'll see what happens with Miami and Clemson. They don't they don't. They don't play each.
Speaker 2: Other this year.
Speaker 3: So at the end of the day, what you need to do is go seven and one. I mean, it'd be great if you can go undefeated. I don't think that's realistic at all. And I'm not even saying they'll go seven and one because I still want to see this team put together a clean game, and you know it's going to take a while for it to become a consistent thing.
Speaker 2: But they've just been sloppy. I mean, make no mistake about it.
Speaker 3: They have now when it comes to person I mean, I'm pretty pleased with everything. I feel better from a personnel standpoint than I did before the Notre Dame game. I mean, Colin Lacy, that's a hell of a debut for a guy who really hadn't played since he broke his collarbone. I mean, j Cory Brooks continues to show that he's a very, very good wide receiver, Tyler Shuck had himself a day and then Isaac Brown. You know, not to say I predicted it, but I kind of did predict it when it comes to the running back position, that true freshman, don't be surprised if you get to I don't know, week three, week four, week five, and he's the guy that is the Folt is the ball carrier, right, Like he's not going to get every carry, but he's going to be the main piece and he should be and I think he will be, which makes it even more puzzling as to why they tried to go outside with Donald Cheney, which that's not really his strength at all.
Speaker 2: So I feel good about Louisville.
Speaker 3: But you know, I want to see him consistently play some clean football because you've got SMU, You've got Virginia next week on the road, a game you should win because as Virginia stinks, and then you play Miami and that's where you really get a chance you'll be you know, you'll be hopefully at that point, you'll be a five to one football team with a chance to take on one of the best teams in the country on your home field. Now, they got to take care of business. Before then. But if that presents itself, I mean that that'd be awesome. So here in Rick Bose it should WDRB did a write up here and I'll just read you the the headline here at WDRB ACC Power Rankings why SMU is a must win for Louisville and he lays out sort of what what I just discussed when it comes to the schedules for both teams. So Clemson to Miami will not play each other unless it's in the AEC championship game. So if you just go off of the rankings right now, Clemson has one remaining game against a ranked opponent. Miami has one remaining game against a ranked opponent. You know that opponent is it's Louisville. So the schedule favors Clemson and Miami me because you know, not only I mean that's that's their toughest game left on the regular in the regular season. Now, Clemson will play South Carolina at the end of the year, but that will have no impact on the ACC standings. So Louisville's gonna have to get through the best two teams in the league. A home lost against SMU is gonna make it to where one. You might at that point, you're gonna have to get better, right if you know, if you lose SMU, I would say, then you're probably gonna have to improve substantially, maybe if you're gonna be able to get past one of those other teams. Anything can happen on any given Saturday, as they say, but this is a huge game, kind of low key. It feels weird because you know it's SMU. But it's a big game, no doubt. So you slip up here, you're gonna need to one improve and then just kind of bank on an unexpected result happening. And look, those happen more often than not. Those happen. Now how many of them I don't know. And again an unexpected result like there could be some shake up, some prise, some surprises in the ACC, but it may not be an upset that really helps you when it comes to your your your chase to finish in the top two. So you can find yourself in Charlotte. So big game, no doubt, and we will talk about SMU. Yeah, we just got the RSVP. Billy and Body is a which a hell of a name. Billy and Body.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: He is a beat writer covering SMU for their on three site, and uh, he's gonna join us coming up here at four thirty. The Pony Express is there is their website and I like that. But he's gonna join us coming up at h at four thirty to talk about SMU. Looking forward to that conversation, So join us for that, and real quick, I don't wanna again, I don't want to overdo this because I'm trying my best to to really emphasize the importance and the value here for Louisville on Saturday. But like, I'm not gonna act like college football is going to be just, you know, fowming at the mouth waiting for these two teams to kick it off, because I know that's not the case.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Again, comparatively speaking, it's not a bad matchup considering this week kind of stinks when it comes to big time games. But nude is never good for fans. Fans hate noon games.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: I selfishly love noon games, but I get why fans don't. Just so you know, and I'm sure you've heard him say it before on his coaches show or at a press conference, Jeff Brown loves noon games. He play every game at noon if he could, he played nine am. If he could, I think he wants to wake up, get his guys ready and hit the field. But none on ESPN, not the Deuce, not the ACC Network, but noone on ESPN. I mean there's value there. I wouldn't be You're going straight from college game day to this game at Cardinal Stadium. I would not be shocked if this is one of the higher rated games for Louisville this year, probably top three. I mean it kind of sounds like a stretch when you play Clemson and you play who is the Clemson and Miami. You know, maybe that changes, but it'll depend on where where the game is slotted and who you're competing against and Notre Dame was a big game. But like for rating, I'm talking ratings like only Peacock subscribers watch that game, So that won't come close to what you get when you're just on ESPN.
Speaker 2: Like being just on ESPN, they're they're, you know, the big sticks.
Speaker 3: They say, you're just getting a big boost in viewership because so many people just have their TV on that channel and they also have it on game day. So just for the bleed in crowd that you're going to get from game day is substantial. So I'm hoping that the team comes out ready to play. But I'm kind of just thinking, Okay, well, you know we'll see. Don't be sloppy, you know, limit penalties, limit avoidable turnovers, get off the field on third down consistently, and you know you should be able to take care of business. By the way, just a random stat that they're at you SMU the most penalized team in the ACC, So let's make sure we don't have more penalties than they do. Have you noticed John, I say we a lot now I started. I didn't used to do that. I used to clearly, I'm never I've never acted like I'm not a big fan, and I think on this show and you know, over the years, like people can tell from an emotional standpoint that, like, you know, I'm impacted by winning and losing because I'm a fan like anybody else. But I've always felt like it was unprofessional as a broadcaster to say we, And I.
Speaker 1: Catch myself doing it too, and it's easy to kind of get in your head after you say it.
Speaker 3: I feel like I now it doesn't even like register to me that I did it, because I used to do it and be like, oh wow, I can't believe it. Just do that, And I'm like, no, who cares, Like I'm you know, I know, I'm like, it's a running. It's it's a running, you know line that people use when somebody says it we or you on the team, no, dumb ass, but like it's my team, So I say, we can, you can? You quit taking yourself so seriously, So I'm saying we. I mean again, I don't play for the team. It'd be problematic if they were lied on me for anything.
Speaker 2: But this, my.
Speaker 1: Conversation, reminds me of of whenever fans say you can't look ahead, as if we are.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, and you know, like it's one thing to say you hope the team doesn't look ahead, right, but like quite literally, fans aren't gonna look ahead and it won't have any factor on the team itself. And if so, then you got big problems. But also like that's what fans do, like you speculate, like you know, like that's part of it. Imagine like living life as a fan where you're like, nope, cannot think about anything else.
Speaker 2: We've got a job to do. We've got to focus.
Speaker 3: Sorry, boss, I'm not gonna be able to get those reports to you.
Speaker 2: I gotta watch film.
Speaker 3: I've got to make sure I'm ready for something that SMU is gonna throw at us. Can I get some extra PTO? I have not watched enough film. I want to make sure I get some more conditioning in so I'm ready to play. Like you know, fans can look ahead, and that's really what I mean Hex Sports Talk Radio. Big part of that is speculation, and you know we just only looked at in the now. I mean, that wouldn't be fun.
Speaker 1: Imagine if the entire week was an SMU deep dive.
Speaker 3: That would be Although I don't know a lot about SMU, not only their team, but like I know, they got in trouble a long time ago and they were now this, I think this is interesting about SMU, to be honest with you. They were quite literally paying players, buying teams essentially many many many years ago, and they got the death penalty. But yet you know, here they are in the ACC because they just wanted an invite. They got Texas Oil money from alumni and boosters to where money's never been a problem for SMU. I mean, they were paying for players back then and they were the first college program. And keep in mind this is not because they've got like money from a big time lucrative TV deal SMU. I'm pretty sure joined the league knowing, Hey, we don't we don't need we don't need any any money upfront, like maybe we'll start getting our revenue share. We'll do that five years down the line.
Speaker 2: We're good.
Speaker 3: And then they raised enough money to where they won't need it, and that speaks to how much money they can pull in, which is pretty impressive, which honestly, I think it means they're a sleeping giant, to be honest with you, but they were the first program in the NIL era to have I think it's called like the Mustang something. I don't know what they call it. Maybe it's the pony something. But they have a collective and I only know this because Sam Williamson, former little basketball player, transferred there have it.
Speaker 2: They had it set up.
Speaker 3: And I think it might have been before last season, Like before last year's sports calendar started, every college football, every football player, and every men's and women's basketball player from the collective was earning a minimum of thirty five thousand dollars just almost just like a salary, Like that's a that's an nil stipend that they could offer, And that's before you mean, keep in mind, let's say you get no nil money anywhere else, that's all you get. You've got to pay for a car, you have to pay for where you live, you have to pay to eat, you have to pay for health care. Like you also get your your cost of some kind of a stipend that like student athletes have been getting long before nil. Like, you're doing great, stack that money up when you leave college. I mean a little spending money here and there to have some fun. But if you save the rest of it, because you don't have to pay to live anywhere, you're going to enter the working world as a non professional athlete with a big chunk of savings and a college degree that you didn't pay for.
Speaker 2: Like, am I wrong? John? That's badass. Oh that's the best way to do it if you can. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, like they in a weird way, of all the schools that have been added, SMU CAL and Stanford, SMU is the most intriguing to me because they're not coming from a previous Power five but like they've got resources that and a fan base that I feel like, you know, they are sleeping giant. And speaking of the fan base, I had a buddy of mine who he works. He works at a law firm and one of their attorneys is from He's he is an Smulum he's lived here for I don't know, like five ten years or something like that, and he claims they've got like a lot of people coming like fans, which you know, I don't know. I mean that may not be interesting to you, but like Louisville usually does not. I mean, I'm trying to think of games where you see the most fans from the other side when they come to Louisville. Like Notre Dame is clearly one that outside of Kentucky, of course, but Notre Dame stands out. But like I don't a lot of those people are Catholics in Louisville. Bet are Kentucky fans that just you know, wear something Notre Dame to, you know, go and cheer against Louisville. But like in the ACC Clemson travels decent, but like it's not overwhelming. Maybe we learn SMUs got an army out there. We'll see, all right, if you guys would have joined us on the show today. You can five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us the call. Phone lines are open. You can also text in on the LLEN then Federal Credit Union text line five oh two six five read zero seven ninety. We got a lot to get to. A very busy show today. We'll talk more realignment, not because like you care what's going on in the Mountain West or in the new PAC twelve basically the Mountain West plus, but just some of the decisions made by the schools that have decided to stay where they are, Like I'm so curious to see and maybe we never will find out, like why would you not take advantage of the opportunity, Why would you not leave the Sun Belt? Why would you not leave Conference USA. It's a real head scratcher. So we'll get to that. Also talk about Louisville Live a little bit more because obviously it's just a couple of days away, and we now know who's going to be participating in the dunk contest, and we also know of a giveaway for those that are going to be in attendance. So I don't know if this is going to be a big incentive for you to make sure you're there. But I'll tell you what it is on the other side and you can decide for yourself. It's Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's Nick Coffee on Alden with you until six o'clock, So hang out right here with us on Sports Talk seven ninety. So there's not any details as far as how many they're given away, or really if you need to do anything to get them. However, the u of L men's basketball twitter account did post that I'll read it directly from their Twitter account, the giveaway everyone has been waiting for. Grab them at Louisville Live on Friday, and then they've got a buy tickets link and it shows a video of all the players in front of the Young Center before their photo op they were doing I guess, like, you know, just doing promotional stuff for the event coming up on Friday, and I guess they showed all the players the Pat Kelsey glasses that he wears, you know, those thick black rim glasses, and they all put them on and we're pretty hyped. But the picture here shows on one side of the glasses, it says Louisville on the other side, it's got Pat Kelsey's autographs, So I don't know how many they're given away, but I'm going with the family, and I know Moose is gonna want a pair. He's only four, he just turned four a few months ago, and he's I mean, Pat Kelsey hadn't coached a game, and he's he thinks he's the coolest guy in the world. He got to, you know, meet him at the at the Bats game. And then of course, you know, I wasn't really talking Louisville hoops with my children the early part of their life, for you know, obvious reasons. My daughter, she was a baby whenever things were going pretty well. But like with Moose, you know, works out perfect. He's now at an age where he's really into the go cards. That's what he calls him, the go cards. We're going to where the go Cards play on Friday, That's what he tells me. Uh and uh, he you know, he's I'm not gonna put pressure on Coach Kelsey, but like he's gonna be devastated if if you know, Louisville isn't good.
Speaker 1: With with Pat Kelsey and the Pat Kelsey era and Hope being a success.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, I hope.
Speaker 3: So you know, whenever president, the president of u of L was, she was part of the first pitch that that we did last month, and she you know, we got to get our little guy in here too, talking about Mason, not me. Funny joke for those of you you know, and and he said, that's my next point guard. I mean, he doesn't know who Mason is at the time he did and whatever. But like that, like you can't say that and not have it, you know, making me feel unbelievable and hoping that it works out here, and I think it will. But Friday is your first chance to see all of these players in action in person.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: If you went to the Bahamas, that's awesome. I know a lot of people didn't get to go. And two people reached out kind of saying the same thing yesterday on the text line after I mentioned that, like there's going to be legitimate Louisville fans that like their week is impacted by what happens during basketball season with with Louisville, and yet there they don't know anybody on the team, Like they can give you a few names, but like they're not every day into this, like we are, And two people were like, I'm so glad you said that, because like the starting five could walk into my house and I wouldn't know they are. So you know, usually this and look, this is this is really just a party. This is a tip off of it to let everybody know basketball season is around the corner. I mean, for the program itself, it's it's a chance to really show recruits what you can do. Really, you know, make it a big time event to where fans will think, Okay, this atmosphere is great. It's not a real game. But man, I want to make sure I come back to some games. I want to make sure I get season tickets whenever I can. But you know, for fans, it's really you know, you have to worry about losing to Kentucky, Wesleyan or Leanne Rimes. You know, you're just watching the guys dunk and shoot three point, shoot three pointers, probably do some dancing. But there are some people I'm thinking that are like, all right, I'm gonna take notes because they're gonna introduce every single player and I'm gonna make.
Speaker 2: Sure I.
Speaker 3: Remember who it is because it's all brand new, and that's not something we've ever had around here, all right, it's coffee and Company Field by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us here on a Wednesday afternoon. If you want to join us on the show, you can five way two five seven one seventy nine hundred. If you want to give us a call, you can take Ellenn Federal Credit Union tex line five zo two six five to three zero seven ninety. So different, two different texts that are kind of in the same ballpark that I want to get to. This one says Nick, why would any coach recruit players who quit on their team three games in the porlo doesn't open up until the end of the season. WTF, which that means what the f? And then this one says Nick, do you think we need to worry about anybody opting out who hasn't burned their year yet? Maybe Maurice Turner? Well, I wasn't even gonna read that part. Then I just got to read in the teleprompter like Ron Burgundy have. I don't want anybody to think Maurice Turner may opt out. He's only played in two games, he's injured, and maybe he ends up being out longer. Than we anticipated, and he has to has to use a red shirt, but that doesn't mean that he would just look to leave.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, I have no clue.
Speaker 3: But as far as Louisville right now, there's a lot of guys that have played in three games that have not decided to opt out. They're gonna be ready to go if needed at Georgia Tech. And there are a few that have played one or two and maybe, you know, maybe they kind of play it out and kind of see where they are. But this is this is this is the time. Right you're four weeks in. Some have played three games meeting teams. Some have played four, but maybe certain guys didn't get a lot of playing time. So therefore, if there's four games in and you've played one, you still got to you can still play two more before you have to think about, you know, backing out and burning your red shirt. So this, to me is another example of how we just got to realize this is a new world. This is completely different than what it once was. Players have the ability to look out for themselves. They have more control than they've ever had, and it's it's different. So when you see guys that are going ahead and red shirting and essentially quitting. Like part of me says, I don't want to call it that, but like it is. I mean, you're not packing up and leaving, I would assume, because that would make it difficult for you to be able to academically maintain your status to where you could be eligible to transfer somewhere. But I think if I was, if I was in the if I was in the shoes of one of these players and I knew I didn't like my role, didn't like how I was being utilized, just knew I was not gonna be there next year, I would choose to be upfront with my coach and tell him this is what I'm doing. Because if you don't have the stones to do that and just be up front and be direct with your coach and you know you're leaving what you're gonna do. If he put he tries to put you in the game, you just say no. That's a bigger pr nightmare for you as a player that you refuse to go in the game. So it's not a good look, and it's so new to everybody that it's just weird. But I think all these guys that are this week. I think there were maybe a couple last week that did it, not locally, but just you know, across the country. It's still so new that it just seems like, wow, this is unheard of. I got quitting on his team in three games. But if they've only got I mean, it doesn't even have to be one year of eligibility left. If you've got however many years left and you don't want to burn one knowing you don't want to waste a year, especially.
Speaker 2: When you can.
Speaker 3: You know, a year's a year of eligibility. That's a salary for you. I mean, most most of these guys are making some level of money, so you know, in a way it's kind of you know, it's kind of a.
Speaker 2: Bad deal for the school. But that's the NS double as fault.
Speaker 3: So again, these guys who now opt out after three games because they know they don't want to play a fourth in burn, burn a year of eligibility because they know they're transferring, they're still getting every pity that they were supposed to get, at least they should be, because now maybe some schools have learned that say, hey, you know, you've got certain obl gations that you have to but like it's such a mess because NIL, from like a legal standpoint, is not about playing.
Speaker 2: It's just who you are.
Speaker 3: So if you've got four appearances through the collective that.
Speaker 2: You or what you have to do as.
Speaker 3: A player to get the nil money that you're supposed to get if you opt out, but you're still on the team, like you're still there on scholarship. You just decided to not play the rest of the year, and you show up at one of these events, can they tell you, no, you're not needed. You're not getting paid because from a legal standpoint, they're not paying you to play.
Speaker 2: No, it has nothing to.
Speaker 3: Like we all know that it is pay for play. But because the ns DOAA drugged their feet for so many years and wanted this nonsensical amateurism model.
Speaker 2: Which is archaic to lift forever.
Speaker 3: That's why, you know, that's that's how that happens, and that's really you know, maybe we'll see some change down the line, but right now, you like you chalk that up. That's the cost of doing business. I mean, that's what it is. It's a loss. But that's the cost of doing business right now in college sports. So I would I think these dudes who are being labeled quitters, I can't say that you're a liar because they're not quitting. I mean they are, but they're also looking out for themselves, and I think you would probably do the same thing. Like there was so much noise out there in the first couple of days about that UNLV quarterback he quit on his team, and I don't know how he can go in the locker room and look at the It's a job. Now, you don't give a damn about that. I mean, hopefully he makes friends and he's a good team player, but it's a job. And if you were told you were to be paid something and then you're not, like, well, I'll suck it up and you know, sacrifice potentially six figures because I just love these guys. I mean, that's not what this is anymore. And that makes people uncomfortable because as long as we've ever known college sports, I mean, this wasn't this didn't exist, this whole new world. So that's why players are doing that. And if you were look, if you're a coach, and we've seen it enough already, dudes will have red flags out.
Speaker 2: The rear end.
Speaker 3: But if they're in the portal and they're available, coaches are going to go get them if they think they can play. So a guy opting out and wanting to move on this early, maybe there are some coaches that would say, yeah, that's not the kind of guy I want to go get. But I would be willing to bet if that players talented. There are programs that would you know, coaches, I should say that would be fine with, you know, making an exception and going and getting those guys. All right, So real quick before we get to our next break back to Louisville Live. We now know who's in the dunk contest. And we had somebody yesterday ask you know who I would who I would put in the dunk contest? If you know who I would who I would think would win? And I wanted to wait and see who's in it. I don't know who's going to be in the three point shootout. It would not shock me if like every player on the team is in the in the three point shootout, maybe other than Trey Ora, but that's probably about it. I mean, maybe, uh, Big Frank. I don't think he's much of a three point threat, but we'll see. They haven't announced who's going to be in the three point shot up. But the dunk contest is gonna be Kahaney, Russ Cater, Trail Ray, Chucky, Hepburn, and uh Frank anselom Ivy. That's the one guy, like I call him Big Frank, but the double last name and him being like the most like kind of not discussed edition, Like he was one of the last scholarships, and he's been a four year guy that really hasn't played a lot of minutes anywhere he's been. So it's not that I forget he's around, but like I forget his last name anselom Ivy, which let's be real, that's not you know, that's it's not a super common last name. But of those guys, and look, dunk contest is all about, like creativity and how it looks. Big dudes have always been at a disadvantage when it comes to dunk contests. Like Dwight Howard won what one two dunk contests, maybe more than that, and he would like jump over a car, he would put on a Superman cape. And this is an era when the dunk contests suck, so he didn't have a lot of competition. But like big dudes can do something that is crazy impressive, but because you're seven foot tall or close to it, it doesn't look impressive. Like Nate Robinson. I mean, he did some really cool stuff, but it looked cooler because he was five foot five. So I'm gonna I think I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go Trailray because he's long, but he's not that tall. He's like six ' five and he's super athletic, so I'm gonna go. Tray Ora is my pick for the winner of the dunk contest. I don't think you can get action on it, and I doubt it's up there for you to wager on, but if so, let me know, because I'll I'll bet on Trey Ora. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It's Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety Coffee and Company rolling along here on a Wednesday afternoon, Nick Coffee the company man John Alden taking you up until six o'clock. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So somebody wrote in on the text line saying, so essentially, players can just red shirt every year and take money and just become millionaires. No, you only get one red shirt. It's not like you can just keep I mean it would be wild though, if you just played ten years and you never burned a year of eligibility because you've moved on out. I mean eventually somebody would you know, somebody would pick up on that.
Speaker 2: But but no, I mean, you.
Speaker 3: Only get one year to red shirt when it comes to just like not playing enough games as far as medical red shirt, and then there's like a hardship waiver where you can get a red shirt. So you know, there was there was a might have been Lincoln Riley maybe who said something recently in a press conference about how it should just be that you get five years and the only scenario you would get a sixth year was if you had two season ending injuries. And I kind of don't think that's I mean, you think that's fair, John, I don't think that's I think that's probably that wouldn't be controversial, right.
Speaker 2: I think that's fine.
Speaker 1: I do think now that this is the final year of the COVID season, I do think once you get a few years removed from that, they'll be a lot less, you know, jumping around and you're seeing rosters overfilled and stuff like that, so maybe it won't even be that big of an issue down the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If you remember during the during the summer of the college basketball Candid Coaches feature that CBS Sports did, they asked coaches a question that actually was something Caliperry had brought up at one point. I don't know if this was something he said in his early days there first few months at Arkansas, but that if you stay at a school all four years, you can qualify for a fifth year. And I kind of like that because that's going to be rare, right, Like, that's not a guy, Hey, this program, this coach has developed me for four years. Now, I'm going to go cash in elsewhere, you know what I mean, Like I kind of I mean, I'm not saying like they should do it, but if they did, I would have no real issue with it, because one, it would benefit a coach for keeping a guy around when there's temptation at all times to move on elsewhere. And it would reward the player giving him one extra year to maybe go out with a bang and make some more money, because he you know, he was loyal to his program. I doubt they do it, because that's just that's a very random like way. I mean, that's I doubt that ever happens. But if that's another one of those things that if they put that in place, I wouldn't have an issue with it.
Speaker 1: What do you think you'd have to pretty much force them to go to grad school? I feel like that's kind of thing that about.
Speaker 3: Or you know, I guess in a way, you can be eligible in college and not graduating four years, you know what I mean. Like, so maybe that's maybe that's the way the way to go about it. But yeah, I mean I like in that and this is just me kind of thinking for the smaller, lower level schools like the mid majors and even lower you know, that's where you'd that's where they'd benefit, you know what I mean. Like if they had good players who didn't become good players until their fourth year, well they they got another year to come back as a fifth year guy, and they can only play there.
Speaker 2: I mean that that'd be tough.
Speaker 1: Though, if they finally break through and they have all these offers from big time schools at that point, maybe maybe they hadn't experienced temptation to leave before.
Speaker 3: But they wouldn't have it. That's what I'm saying, Like, you only get a fifth year if you stay at your school. You can't leave, Okay, Like that's what I'm like. So you're awarding players, so like, yeah, you can, you know you can. You can play a fifth year, but it's only because you've played all four at your school that that would make it to where and it's there. Look, there's still a lot of disadvantage the mid majors, the smaller schools, and they always have been like Nil has yet to really in the grand scheme of things, changed the food chain in college sports, right Like, and we've talked about it many times, John, The one team that that you feel like they paid and they it paid off was that Miami Final four, right yeah, because they had no Chadowmere. They went and got the kid from who's still there by the way, Igel Pack. Yeah, he's still there at at Miami. But that like, other than that, teams making like TCU making the championship game two years ago, that had nothing to do with with Nil Washington last year breaking through and playing for a title that that wasn't mean I'm sure they utilized in IL, but like it wasn't because oh wow, now they can pay for players and they got a lot better they they they got Kaalin to Borr before anybody else did.
Speaker 2: That's how they ended up there.
Speaker 3: So if you are a smaller school, you're still always going to be a disadvantage no matter what in IL, no, nil, whatever. But that is where you feel like, Okay, we've got something special here to where you know, if I can keep these guys here and get them for a fifth, you know that's an added bonus for you in this new world where for the most part, when you think about who's winning and who's losing, I can't think of many wins for the small schools. There's the occasional scenario where a good player from a higher level will transfer down and really have an impact for you, but that that's that doesn't happen that often. I mean, maybe it does, we just don't pay attention. But it hasn't impacted enough to where you look at all these mid major teams making deep runs because they had power five guys decide to drop down. But there's no doubt the early results here because we're still new and it's still new it's still a new world, but the Portal and NIL have just made it to where college athletes, which are now essentially pro athletes, they now see a value in staying in college and playing longer. And I think that's good for the sport, especially basketball. Basketball is different because there are plenty of guys who you know, they know, hey, I can go play basketball over seas. You're not playing football overseas in the NFL. I mean, you know, just a different. Football is just different from a professional standpoint overall. But there are guys who would walk away from Like, yeah I could, I could maybe stick around for two more years, but I'm as good as I'm going to be. I'm never going to be an NBA player. I want to start my pro clock now and get two years where I'm in my prime, making a good salary overseas, and I'll come back and go to school later. Like this is about using my craft, my tool to make a living for myself and staying in two years for college. Yead be a great experience, but like, and I ain't making money. It's a good it's benefit. You know, you're not hurting probably right, you're on scholarship, You're living in a nice student you know, team house, team dorm.
Speaker 2: Probably you got meals.
Speaker 3: Like it's not like you're being tortured, but like you could also go make six figures or more playing overseas. And if you stayed in college two more years, that's just two years where yeah, you had a convenient lifestyle, but you missed out on a salary. So now they you know, these guys are making more money playing college basketball. I mean, Hunter Dickinson. I would love to know how much money that guy has made and will make when it's all said and done. I mean, he'll he'll play pro for a while, not in the NBA, but he'll play.
Speaker 2: Pro for a while if he wants to.
Speaker 3: But I wouldn't be shocked if you know, when he calls it a career, you look back and he realizes that he made more money in college than he did in the pros. It's crazy, all right, you'd be crazy not to stick with us for the next two hours, So don't go anywhere. It's coffee and company if you'ld about Thornton's dight here on Sports Talk seven ninety