Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home the hundreds at casino style games that you can play for free, anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuckcasino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus, that's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba Lane.
Speaker 2: No person nesses every d void overhaby by lost in terms conditions eating.
Speaker 1: Plus, it is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you a fist pumper, a woo, a handclapper, a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino at chumbacasino dot com. Choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait. Start having the most fun ever. At Chumbu Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: No prisons, every d void overhaby lost each Conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 4: With the Lucky land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 4: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary, void, We're prohibited by law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 1: It is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you at fist pumper, a woo or a handclap or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino at chumbacasino dot com. Choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait. Start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Pret never they idivoid over every by lost your recognitions eighteen plus.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski. In the winter of eighteen seventy three, a small band of prospectors lost their way in the frozen wilderness of the Colorado Rockies. Months later, when the snow finally melted, only one of them emerged. His name was Alfred G. Packer, though he would soon become infamous throughout the country under a different name, the Man Eater, after the butchered remains of his five traveling companions were discovered in the secluded valley by the Gunnison River. Packer vanished for nine years, becoming the West's most wanted man. But followed was a saga of evasion and retribution as the Trial of the Century worked to extricate fact from myth, and Paul Prye, a once famous pioneering journalist, took on the cause of Packer. Man Eater is the definitive story of a legendary crime, a gripping tale of unspeakable suffering, the desperate struggle for survival, and the fight to uncover the truth. Story that we're book that were featuring this evening is Man Eater, The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal, with my special guests, journalist and author and professor Harold Scheckter. Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for greening to this interview.
Speaker 5: Harold Scheckter, Thank you for inviting me.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much Harold, for our audience. I just got to mention this is Harold Checkter is one of the most prolific and important true crime writers period, I will say, in America today this period. So I thought i'd just say that for all those stuff, and we'll talk about at the end how many books you have written so far, and it is again prolific. Let's jump right into this story. As you introduce in the very beginning of the book, you set the stage for the very very i guess thorny subject of cannibalism, a subject that everyone seems to be horrified yet fascinated by. So let's talk about John C. Fremont and the mid eighteen hundreds in the American West and tell us who John Fremont is and what's the situation, what is the reality like in the American West in the mid eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean the West was at that time completely unexplored territory, in a very very rugged, very very primitive you know, this, a vast, vast unexplored wilderness. Fremont was who was known as the Great Pathfinder, was a person who was sent out to chart certain pathways through the West in the company of Kit Carson, the legendary scout and Indian fighter, and his his Fremont's books about his adventures. You know, most people today remember Lewis Clark, but in the nineteenth century John C. Fremont was at least as famous as one of the great pioneering explorers who opened up the far reaches of the Western wilderness to white settlement and colonization. And Fremont himself became such a celebrated figure that he was nominated as the Republican Party's first presidential candidate in eighteen fifty six, and one of the charges that was brought against him, you know, we we think we're living through, you know, a particularly nasty mud slinging presidential campaign right now. But back then, as I say my book, the charges that were leveled by politicians against each other make modern day mud slinging look like, you know, the height of civility. And one of the charges I was brought against Fremont was that he was a cannibal, which unlike some of the other charges that he was illegitimate, that he was an adulterer, that he was a native born Frenchman back in the mid nineteenth century, as today people were, I guess they were kind of berthers around. But in any case, as it turns out, the cannibal charge was true because on one of his expeditions, Fremont and his men became it became trapped in these snow choked mountains, and when some of them died and the others were starving, they resorted to cannibalism. So a part of the beginning of my book, you know what I'm trying to. What I do in the beginning of that book is put the Packer's story in some kind of context, not only the context of, you know, the incredibly harsh circumstances that these early frontiersmen and explorer's faced in the American wilderness, but just in the context of attitudes towards what's called survival cannibalism. You know, situations where men in extremely dire circumstances of extreme starvation have resorted to cannibalism as their only means of survival. And let me just interject, you know, I mean, I've written, as you know, about some of America's most notorious cannibal killers, most notably Albert Fish, you know, the infamous cannibal pedophile of the nineteen twenties and thirties. The book Mannire doesn't deal with that kind of psychopathic serial murder. Cannibalism deals with a case of survival, analysm and murder, but not serial murder.
Speaker 7: Now with this you talk about, it's probably well known about the gold rush in California, but as you write in the book, within about ten years they said the rivers were panned out and disillusioned miners were searching elsewhere. So in nineteen fifty eight you talk about William Green Russell, where do they resort to and where's the new El Dorado.
Speaker 5: It's actually eighteen fifty eight, and it was in there were these various mineral strikes gold and silver in the Colorado Rockies and a particularly rich strike or in the San Juan Mountains in southwestern Colorado, and that's set off a second gold and silver rush that brought thousands of them, you know, get rich copefuls flocking to the mountains of Colorado. You know, there was a famous one of them was Pike's Peak, and you'd have thousands and thousands of these people in covered wagons with Pike's Peaker bust written am ba canvas canopies. So, you know, Packer became caught up in that, in that kind of hysteria.
Speaker 7: Now with this as well, with this mining craze, we're not talking about a place that's not fraught with its own problems in terms of accessibility and danger and the elements, in terms of the weather in the winter or weather in all the seasons. So tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, Colorado's you know, a gloriously beautiful place. I actually lived in Colorado's for a year myself. But you know, the rockies in the winter, and particularly back then when it was largely uninhabited by you know, white settlers, so excuse me, you know, other than you know, there were some cities like Denver and so on, but but in terms of the San Juan Mountains, very very few outposts of the civilization, and in the winter, the conditions were incredibly harsh. You know that there might be three or four feet of snow in the grounds. There were these you know, precipices and gullies and chasms. I mean, it was you really took your life in your hands trying to negotiate that landscape in the middle of winter. Uh. And you know that's what happened with Packer and his comrades. They set off very confidently in the belief that they could make their destination in a certain amount of time, and quickly found out that, you know, they had seriously underestimated the harshness of the environment and the severity of the elements.
Speaker 7: Let's talk a little bit about this. Alfred Packer very interesting you talk about not is his childhood, but you can get it back towards be previous to obviously this fateful event where the men die and there's cannibalism. Tell us a little bit about how James Packer from Salt Lake City comes to the Denver area and under what circumstances and why.
Speaker 5: Okay, Alfred Packer kas Packer Well Packer was born in Pennsylvania. He always claimed to be related to a very prominent Pennsylvania named Asa Packer, who was a railroad magnet and the founder of the High University. That was one of the many fabrications that Packer indulged in. The family subsequently moved to Indiana. Packer left home at a relatively young age and in his mid adolescence and enlisted in the Union Army during the Civil War. Packer was afflicted again from childhood with grandmu epilepsy UH, and so he ended up getting a disability discharged. He he was he was subject to very very very extreme UH and increasingly frequent seizures as a result of that illness. He re enlisted a different a different unit. He event was discharged again, eventually drifted out West. He claimed again apparently falsely, to have served with George Armstrong Custer. But in any case, you know many details of his past or shrouded in obscurity, but we do know that by the early eighteen seventies he had drifted around west again. He was doing some prospecting, making his living in various odd jobs. He eventually made his way to Utah, and that's really where the saga of Alfred Packer picks up.
Speaker 7: Now, tell us the situation you talk about writing the introduction of the book, that the circumstances to which people would resort to cannibalism. And throughout the book you cite examples of not only historic examples and less known examples of cannibalism in America, but also the prevailing attitude by society at that time towards it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, well, you know society was sorry, go ahead, no, no, well, you know society was you know, in first of all, of course, it's always been a subject of incredible fascination to people, you know, who respond with a mixture, well with kind of titillated horror. You know, the most famous case in American history, you know, the Donner Party, which happened some years before the Packer case. And you know, depending on well, to some extent, depending on the character of the people who ended up having having to resort to those extremities. You know, the attitude could be fairly forgiving. You know. In fact, one thing I do discovered in my researches is that cannibalism per se is not really illegal in virtually all states of the Union. So uh, you know. So so there are many many instances, or significant number of instances in American history where people again who have been in these unimaginably nightmarish circumstances, uh and and driven half crazed by hunger and were near death by starvation themselves, and who resorted to surviving on the flesh of you know, dead companions that you know, those people, you know, have often been been regarded fairly sympathetically by the public. Uh. You know, there's a famous case. I just made a movie about it, the Welsh of Essex, which was one, you know, very very famous case. They made him. There was a book in the Heart of the Sea and a movie recently released about him. Was one of the inspirations for the book Moby Dick, you know, where these sailors who were stuck on this life both you know, ended up surviving by cannibalizing their dead, dead comrades, and you know those people were should not only not punish, but again you know, treated very sympathetically.
Speaker 7: Now you also introduced the situation, the circumstances in which Alfred Packer joins this group of people. Again, we there is a mix of some of the storytelling he does about his background and to that testament, he does a little bit of this trying to describe himself as a guide. So in that with this little tale about him being a guide, Yeah, how does he impress these people enough so that they can take them on board? Because there wasn't amount of fee that was required to be joining this journey, So tell us how he circumvented that and how he came to be included.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, there was a group of about twenty miners who were all living around Bingham, Utah at the time, and you know, Packer got wind of the fact that they were organizing in an expedition to the San Juan Mountains to prospect for silver, and Packer, who as you said, had no money at the time, offered his services as a guide, claiming that he had spent a lot of time in the area, and he had in fact spent some of his time in Colorado for sure, and that he would be able to lead them to their destiny in a very short time. None of the other men, among these other twenty miners had ever been to Colorado, so they were willing to. Well, this one prospector whose name was McGrew, you know, kind of took a shine to Packer, was willing to grub stake him as you put it, that is, you know, pay his way in return for you know, Packer helping him out with his horses and zen, but also you know, his services supposedly as a guide who could lead them to where they wanted to go in a matter of you know, a couple of weeks.
Speaker 7: Now with this, these people had seen people perish before because of starvation. So these people set out to calculate and then acquire enough supplies that they wouldn't starve. Great tell us how it was that with the supplies, But also was this a dangerous or not dangerous time to be going? And did anybody advise against leaving at that time?
Speaker 5: Well, when they initially set out from being a Utah, you know, they left Trying to remember exactly, I think they set out in November eighteen twenty one men, including Packer, set out from Utah in November eighteen seventy three, and again Packer assure them that they could make their journey well within certainly within a month, so that they would arrive there, you know again before you know, well they're according to him, you know, the harshest part of the winter. In the event they didn't, they didn't get to the area if three months, because they rapidly became clear that Packer had no idea how to get where they were going. But but yeah, so so you know, so the numbers, so the supplies that they equipped themselves with, you know, we're all based on this estimated time that Packer had given them, which was you know, severely severely uh, you know, underestimated. But yes, and then also they felt that they could probably you know, supplement their supplies by killing game along the way. But again the weather was so much harsher than they had anticipated that they encountered very very very little game to kill.
Speaker 7: Important part of this story, too, is the fascinating history that's included in this amazing story and about if I'm pronouncing it right, the UT's Uti Indians and Utes and the Utes Indians of Colorado. And you also include the incredible history of the negotiation and how much land that they that they had owned and negotiated successfully for, but also their experience in living and surviving this often harsh area. So tell us a little bit about that story, about these unique Indians and their connection to this story.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, the Youthes were this loose confederation of different tribes who were populating this really vast area of the Colorado Territory. And of course, you know, we all know that you know, very very sorry history of you know, of of white American expansion into those into that frontier. Uh. You know, as soon as any valuable resource you know, gold, silver or whatever was discovered uh on you territory, there would be this incredible incursion of of of wide American settlers. Uh and you know, increasing uh conflict between the whites and the Native Americans, and uh, you know, the the the the Indians were constantly forced into this position, you know, of having to negotiate these treaties which would guarantee them supposedly in perpetuity, you know, all this land, you know, but as soon again, you know, again, as soon as somebody discovered more gold or silver on the Indian reservation. Uh, there would be another invasion of white settlers and you know the Indians, uh, you know, this land that had been promised to them forever, they suddenly had to be renegotiated, and you know, their reservations became smaller and smaller and smaller and smaller. Uh. They there was a very very remarkable figure named Chief Uray who became sort of the designated chief of the youth nation. Uh and who you know, Uh, it was a figure that you know, the white white America and some of his own people had somewhat different feelings about. You know, some of his own people, I guess saw him kind of as what later came to be called an Uncle Tom who was betraying them, you know, to the whites. He was you know this, no, you know this well he was called a friend to the whites. But you know, he was kind of a visionary person. I mean he understood that, you know, he was between the proverbial rock and a hard place. I mean he understood that, you know, without negotiating these these treaties, his people are just going to be totally exterminated. So yeah, so those were the that was the native population that. You know that Packer and his companions and all the all the white prospectors and settlers to the area, you know, had to confront and deal with.
Speaker 7: Now, let's talk about how he gets down to its five companions and himself, including George Noon and alatzen Heiser and his friend McGrew, who really was pretty sympathetic and sort of the attitude what what do they think about Alfred Packer after they realized he really wasn't much of a guide and they were didn't have much to eat at all.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, some of the men. There's a guy named Laussenheiser, as you mentioned, another guy named Nutter in particular. You know, some of the men had this antipathy towards Packer from the beginning. You know, I don't think Packer had the most winning personality, and according to against some of the people he was traveling with, you know, he seemed to be displaying kind of suspicious interest in the amount of money they were carrying with them, and you know, they also felt that he was hogging much of their increasingly diminishing provisions. So there were a few of the men there who really bitterly disliked and distrusted Packer even before it became clear that he had completely misled them into thinking that he could serve as a god the people he was traveling with. This guy McGrew in particular, you know, fell much more warmly towards Packer and felt sorry for him. The other thing, again, were these terrible seizures that that Packer was subject to, you know, which some of the men you know, were really really really put off by, unsettled by in a very very deep way. I mean, they found it very very disturbing. You know, McGrew was much more sympathetic and would really tend to Packer when he was in the throes of one of these seizures. But but Packer definitely, you know, even again before it became queer that he really had no idea where he was going, had made had made enemies among those men.
Speaker 7: So in fairly short order, certainly a lot sooner than they thought, they were already considering eating one of their horses. So we're talking about they went from a completely different made of mind and mode in if they're considering their horses. So tell us about the first decisions to eat something other than and and you talk about eating things other than animals as well.
Speaker 5: So well, you know, as I said, a packer had promised he would get them, you would get them to the their their destination of the San Juan Mountains, you know, from utah in in less than a month. Uh. And they had they had, you know, equipped themselves accordingly with provisions. It Uh, it's a little unclear. I mean even they probably you know, were undersupplied even even to that extent. Again, they were hoping to encounter much more game than they did. So yeah, by by the time they were by the time they actually finally did reach the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, they had been reduced to eating the horse feed. I mean, they had eaten their horses grain. They were really in a state of near starvation. They were, yes, as he said, on the brink of killing their own horses and eating their own horses. And then they were saved by there by a sudden encounter with Chief Ray and a band of his Indians, who then very hospitably invited them into Uri invited them into his camp. Uh. And the men set up their quarters there and engaged in some trade with the Indians. And Ray invited them and advised them to remain with him at the Indian camp until springtime and the snow melted.
Speaker 7: And what did they do with that advice? After almost the combing to starvation? What did they They They took that hospitality and they strengthened themselves. And what did they do with that advice?
Speaker 5: Well, a number of them. First, this guy, well he was his people call him Lot, his name was Lauds Adviser A Lot and four other prospectors really after just about a week or so, began to get very very antsy and decided that they were going to set out and try to make it to this nearby Indian agency. Uh. And so they did that. I mean or A strongly advised them not to do it, and in fact, you know, communicated to them very emphatically that he thought that they would never make it there alive. But they ignored him. You know, I mean Greed. I guess he's a great, great motivating force in human behavior. You know, these guys were very very eager, uh to you know, to make it to this, you know, to this to this mining spot and get started. Uh. So they set out into the wilderness. Packer actually tried to follow them, you know, but a Lot was one of these people who was so hostile to Packer that he actually drew a gun and threatened to kill Packer of Packer followed them. So so Lot in these four other guys uh set out, you know, set out in the snow. Uh, and then a few days later, Packer and five other men followed in their wake. Incredible.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so this is they set out from that beauty camp in the second week of February and so and as you mentioned, they've got the youngest and the oldest of prospectors Israel Swan is a man in his sixties. Have sixteen year old George California noon. You've got a butcher named Frank Ready Miller. And you've got a woman named Shannon Wilson Bell.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, Shannon Wilson Bell is not a woman.
Speaker 7: Oh pardon me, sorry? Y Yes, and also James Humphrey. Yeah, so tell us about their plight. What happens early on in this journey that and what are the conditions that they know that there may be snow, but what are the real snow conditions.
Speaker 5: In this well? Again, you know, they have to imagine trying to trape through a completely uncharted mountainous wilderness basically in you know, like two two or three feet of snow, I mean, you know, snow coming up to your thighs, sometimes snow coming up to your waist. You know, it's really only the vaguest sense of all you know of where you're going, you in what direction you're heading, you know, and again equipped with enough provisions, you know, to maybe last for a few days. You know, they they very very rapidly, you know, ran out of food. They were you know, frozen, they were starving, you know, they were they were basically vulnerable, you know, to the most you know, to the harshest kinds of you know, winter environmental conditions imaginable and so yeah, so that was the position they found themselves in very very rapidly. And of course, you know, the way, the way the story unfolded, and the way I tell the story in my book is you know, pat Ray and the other men who remained at Oras camp, you know, you know, saw Packer and these five other people you mentioned heading off into the wilderness on their way supposedly to this Indian agency which was supposedly they were going to reach them less than a week. And then the next sighting of Packer. The next time anybody saw Packer was three months later, you know, three months later in April, when he emerged from the wilderness by himself and made his way to this Indian agency, and the other five men that he was with were not there and in fact never seen alive again.
Speaker 7: You also have a chilling part of your book when you talk about in late March or early April that again, a small party of Uds with some women among them, said they came upon a white man camped by the Gunnison River cooking his dinner meat on a stick. And then apparently they went to see what he had thrown on the river bank or in the river and tell us what it was that they found.
Speaker 5: Yeah, these this band of ud Indians say, you know, this white guy roasting something on a fire, and when he saw the approach, he tossed it into the river and and and ran away, and they fished out of the river and it was a cooked human arm. So yeah, So that was the only reported sighting of Alfred Packer in the three month period from the time he had his five companions left Chief Lore's camp and when he showed up at the Indian Agency in April.
Speaker 7: Now it's interesting, it's fascinating and against truths, much stranger than fiction. You talk about the Indian Agency, Los Pinos, and by the time he gets there shortly after, it's amazing. You write in a book who is he met by? And then right away there is some initial suspicion and there is a story demanded from Packer almost immediately after arriving there. Tell us about this altercation and incident.
Speaker 5: Well, as you said, when Packer, Packer reached uh, you know, Packer reached Los Pinos, and and almost immediately afterwards, Preston another who is one of the guys who had uh, you know, been hostile to Packer from the from the very very start, suddenly showed up. Suddenly showed up another and three other men had very wisely taken Chief Ray's advice and remained at the Indian camp until snow melted, and then uh set out and just by happenstance, two weeks later they arrived at the Las Pinos agency just hours after Packer showed up. And as I said, Nutter was one of these fole who had you know, it was always very very suspicious of Packer from the beginning, of his motives. Uh, and you know Packer, and he wanted to know where these other five guys who had set off that Packer were. And Packer told him that that he Packer had developed frost spite in his feet and had become snowblind and was holding the other guys up. So they had left him, and they had left him behind with a rifle and and and they had set off. They had set off into the wilderness, and he had never seen them again. He had just somehow managed to survive by himself for all that time, and you know, and then made his way back and made his way to Los Pinos. But he claimed that he had no idea where the other five guys were. Right away.
Speaker 7: This Nutter is Preston Nutter is the suspicious, skeptical of the story itself. And you can tell us about what some people for the other journey were the unusual questions that he was asking about money. But also what Preston Nutter notices as a possession of Packer at this Indian agency was he noticed, well, he noticed.
Speaker 5: That that Packer had in his possession of a big, a big skinning knife that had belonged to the German Butcher uh was known as well Frank Ready. They called him Ready Miller. And you know, Packer had some story about that. He said that Packer had just stuck it into a tree and left it behind. When when the when the five other guys had had gone off into the wilderness, that seemed, you know, seemed again a very very dubious story to Nutter, that Miler would leave his knife behind.
Speaker 7: So now, in terms of the story that he he does say, and of course this story is an evolving story, he isn't immediately really suspected of much until some things happened. So tell us how the story proceeds in terms of any kind of holes to this story.
Speaker 5: Well, after spending a little time at Los Pinos, Packer and the other men went to this nearby town named Sewatch, where a Packer holed up in a saloon and h you know, proceeded to look kind of high on the hog. I mean, you know, spending a bunch of money gambling and drinking and and you know, treating themselves to various delicacies like canned oysters. You know, this struck the other man is very very suspicious because you know, they knew Packer had been so broke to begin with that, you know, he'd had to he had to basically barter his services in order to in order to accompany the men. So they became very very very suspicious of Packers free spending ways again given how poor he had been before, and began to wonder where all this he had come from. And eventually, well, you know, very quickly, you know, another in particular, came to be convinced since there was no sight of these other men, you know, became convinced a lot by a lot in his companions who had set off before Packer and could also run into a lot of trouble, you know, but they had finally made it to the Indian agency. So so the only ones missing and unaccounted for were Packers five companions, and again Packer suddenly seemed to be, uh, you know, inexplicably prosperous. So Nutter became convinced that Packer had murdered these other five guys, had stolen their money.
Speaker 7: And as a result, what does what does he do and what does Packer doka?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I mean Packer, you know, Packer was really afraid that you know, he was in danger of being lynched. And just around that time, while they were in Sawatch, the head of the Los Pinos Indian Agency, a gun named General Charles Adams, showed up and uh and another in another uh conveyed his suspicions to Adams. Uh and uh, you know, and and and Packer at that time was you know, was uh. He's still insisting, you know, on on his original story. But then finally uh, you know, Packer's story changed.
Speaker 7: Now, this questioning by Adams gets what initial admissions from Packer regarding the death of these five men.
Speaker 5: Well, what came to me, that is Packer's first confession was. You know, it's important to keep in mind because if you look up, you know, if you if you google Alfred Packer, you come across a lot of these websites that claim that he was the only American ever convicted of cannibalism, uh in in the history of the United States, which is which is not not true. You know, Packer never denied well except for his initial you know, his initial claim that these five guys had had left him in the wilderness and that he'd never seen them again. But from the time of his earliest confessions, he never denied that he had engaged in cannibalism. What he did claim, however, is that he was completely innocent of murder. According to his first confession. After a short time, Israel Swan, who was the as you pointed out, the oldest of this group of six people, died of exposure, and the other five men, you know Packer. You know, Packer gave a very very harrowing and probably pretty accurate description of the state of near starvation that they were in. They had been reduced to the point of boiling their own moccasins and eating them. Uh you know, they were trying to gather tree sap from the from the roots and eat that. They were eating whatever stray rosebuds. I mean, they were scrounging around the rivers for snails, which they actually couldn't find. So they were they were in an extremely, extremely you know, dire straits and uh, you know, Packer said that Humphrey had died of exposure, and the other five men had eaten his flesh and then left the corpse where it lay and proceeded on. And then after a little while a second man, I think Humphrey had also collapsed and died of exposure, and then the remaining four men had dined on his flesh, and so on and so forth, and finally Packer claimed that Shannon Shannon Wilson Bell killed Get, which one probably California Noon. And then Packer had, you know, kind of ahead and eaten the Noon's flesh. And then at the end, Packer and Bell made a pact that they wouldn't neither would try to kill the other. But then in fact Bell tried to kill Packer, and Packer had killed Bell in self defense. So that was his first confession. In other words, he freely admitted cannibalism, denied that he had committed murder, admitted that he had killed Bell, but only in self defense. And he also claimed very importantly that each one of the four guys that had been successively cannibalized, that their bodies had just been left in the places where they had died.
Speaker 7: Now, and you talk about in eighteen seventy four they find the five bodies, and so what is proven or disproven or proven and disproven at that time with that discovery those five bodies.
Speaker 5: Well, what you know, eventually what happened was Packer, by the way, in the inter Packer was you know, put in jail. You know. Packer said he would lead a lot and other in this other group of guys, you know, to the places where these bodies were, and to the place where he had killed Jenne Wilson Bell, and then he started out. Then he refused to do it, and they brought him back and locked them, locked them up, and well what passed for jail, it was just really a little shack and he actually escaped and remained at large for nine years. Anyway, not too long after he escaped, there was an illustrator for a very very popular publication at a time called Harper's Weekly, who was on assignment doing sketches of the of a Colorado mining area, and he came upon what had been a campfire with five horrendously decomposed and mutilated corpses, still all lying in their in their you know, sleeping blankets and so on, and uh, you know, it became and immediately became clear that these were the five men that Packer had stood out with. So an examination of the corpse has showed that their skulls had all been crushed, they'd all you know, they'd all been they'd all been u uh. Flesh had had obviously been removed in their bodies. They could tell, you know, by the knife marks on the bones and so on. So you know Packer's story that these you know, these guys had died one after another, these natural deaths, and they'd eaten their bodies and had left them where they lay. It was obviously a complete lie. All these guys had been well, the four of them anyway, had clearly been killed in their sleep. One of them, Shannon Bell Uh, apparently his body was a little farther off that his scope had also been crushed. So it was very, very evident that these five men had been horribly murdered, at least for them in their sleep, and you know, and and then butchered for their flesh. And obviously the leading suspect in the case was the only person who had survived, Alfred Packer, and he immediately became the most wanted man in the west. Uh. And you know who was known as the man eater.
Speaker 7: What were a couple of the other names for him that were just as interesting or more so?
Speaker 5: Oh, I think they called them the human hyaena. You know, they called them a ghoul, you know, in how it is, I mean whenever, you know, whenever there's some horrific murderer at large, the press immediately comes up with great, colorful, often you know, kind of you know, gothic, supernatural, horroring nicknames for them. So yeah, human Hyaena sticks in my memory, and I'm sure they called them a ghoul. I can't remember. Maybe you remember some of the others, but.
Speaker 7: Those are the ones, the human Hyaena and the ghoul. How is it that he comes to be captured? Who recognizes him? And what is he doing at that time while there's this huge manhunt?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, yeah, well, you know he uh, well, first of all, he assumed a pseudonym, uh Swarps, and you know, he was roaming around the West. He was at in Wyoming. He was supporting himself in various ways. He was you know, doing some well, he continued to do some mining. He uh you know Packer actually he had been trained as a leather worker and so he was you know, did some saddle making and so on and so forth. But nine years after the events just related, in eighteen eighty three, one of the former members of the original twenty one man party that Packer had been part of, un named Frenchy Cabazon, who at that time was working as a you know, kind of a drummer or a traveling salesman. Was stopping at a boarding house in Fort Fetterman, Wyoming, and he heard in the adjacent room somebody speaking of this weirdly high pitched voice that was one of the distinguishing characteristics of Packer. Apparently it's a not uncommon symptom of severe grandma. See that some of the you know, some of the people afflicted with it have these very high pitched voices. Anyway, Yeah, Cabizon recognized this guy who was calling himself Schwartz as as Packer, and he notified the authorities, and Packer was arrested and taken back to Colorado for trial. And of course this is a great, great, great sensation, not only locally but really nationally. You know, the capture nine years after his escape of a notorious man eater.
Speaker 7: We don't have all the time that we'd love to go into this, but tell us about the highlights of the trial in terms of the people there that made the most damaging testimony and probably and did not probably did show an incredible amount of animosity and personal investment in the trial and the outcome.
Speaker 5: Well, again, you know Packer. Packer, when he was captured, you know, changed his story once again. You know, he claimed that and it was something more or less stuck to for the rest of his life. You know, he claimed that that again all the all of them were on the burner starvation. He had gone off one day to climb a mountain to do some surveillance, you know, see if he could get some glimpse of the agency they were heading for. And that when he when he returned to the camp at dusk that day, he found Shannon Wilson Bell roasting some human flesh on a fire. Uh, and the other the other four men lying there dead. Uh. And then Bell jumped up and attacked him, and Packer killed Bell in self defense. So that was his story. That was Bell who killed the other four men and uh and then tried to kill him and uh. And he had shot and killed Bell in self defense. And then he had, you know, made a little lean to for himself and in the main there for the next few months, living off the flesh of the dead bodies that you know again that Bell had killed. At his trial, and again there were you know, there was you know, this very very very uh uh devastating testimony against him by Lad and another. You know, it's it's there was so much prejudice against Packer by that point. You know that Packer received nothing like a fair trial. Uh. You know, one of the interesting things to me about the Packer case is I came to believe, although it's still very much an open question that people continued to debate, you know that Packer probably was guilty of murdering these five guys, although there are the people again who feel very strongly that he wasn't. But that's my best guess anyway. But nevertheless, whether you know he did or not, he definitely did not receive a fair trial because you know, he was he was being made to prove his innocence, which of course is not how American jurisprudence works. You know, there are certainly very a lot of reasonable doubt, you know that his lawyer raised, but there were so many much prejudice against him. The testimony of people like Lot and another, you know, who claimed and not only that Packer had killed these other people, but that he had deliberately deliberately led them into the depths of the wilderness in order to slay and rob them. When they were at their most vulnerable. And Packer didn't do himself any favors. I mean, Packer was very, very very prickly personality at best. Uh. And you know, and he gave this long, elaborate testimony you know that you know, in which he you know, he was barely able you know, to keep his own his own ugliest impulses in checks.
Speaker 7: So it is interesting to see how he thought he could control the core room, and for the great part of it he did. He made a statement that would be akin to a lawyer making an opening statement. And uh, and again he was indignant throughout.
Speaker 5: Well, he was basically yeah, yeah, he was indignant, that's true. And you know, possibly very justifiably indignant, I mean, no doubt justifiably indignant because you know, he realized the stacked you know, all the cards were stacked against him. Although at some point, you know, he seemed to feel in the beginning that he was, you know, might get acquitted. Who was actually even you know, possibly making plans to marry one of the local women. Since you know, his trial, like you know, the trial of most people, you know, notorious accused killers, attracted a number of I guess you know what later came to be called groupies. But yes, he was indignant, you know, and you know at the charges that were made against and also very indignant that you know that nobody in the courtroom could possibly really understand the kind of you know, horrendous circumstances that you know that he that he and the others were suffering. But you know, subsequently, i mean, in the mid twentieth century and particularly after the Second World War, you know, there were very very famous studies done about the effects of starvation on human behavior, you know, and it really, you know, drives people crazy and reduces them to a state of really kind of primal savagery, and you know, it's it's just very very very hard to know ultimately, whether you know, Packer's story as he told it was true or not. It just seems to me, it's always seemed to me very very suspicious that it just seems to me that it was a little too convenient that Packer would go off of the day and come back and find that these other men you know, had been killed and we're just lying there, you know, neatly ready to you know, serve as four months worth of food supply and some other guy had done it, and then Packer had just killed this other guy in a way you know that also seems not totally impossible but a little implausible. So so yeah, so I came to the you know, my best guess, which I'm ready to admit might be totally wrong, is that Packard was in fact guilty of murdering these guys. But again that said, he still did not receive anything remotely like a fair trial.
Speaker 7: And then that you do talk about this interesting legal development where they fight for another trial and then he's convicted of manslaughter, but due to the pressure, he's given this unprecedented sentence. And again we don't have that much, we don't have all the time to go into this, but I'm going to leave the readers and the listeners of the show to know that this is just there's so much more to this story. And one of the things I just want to ask you about, and I guess where you could comment about, was the incredible juxtaposition between the fascination and he's selling souvenirs in prison, things that he's little trinkets he's made, and people want to come and visit him. So there's sort of a juxtapision between the bloodthirsty media and then society's fascination and almost admiration of the guy in a lot of ways. And then also that the media wasn't exactly in a concerted effort on board in terms of the persecution of this person. And that comes to the point where you get Pauli Priye sort of going the other way making statements that a journalist, responsible journalists wouldn't make. So just tell us about that sort of whole incredible dynamic in America at that time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you know, I mean, you know, one thing you learn when you research these cases going back to the eighteen hundred and even earlier, you know, is that you know, the fast the public fascination, you know, with sensational murders and cannibalism and so on and so forth. You know, we sometimes think that that's just a product of modern society. And you know, I mean, obviously right now we're living at this moment when you know, there's all this uh, you know, media obsession with with true crime. But you know, the only difference between now and then is you know, technological, I mean, you know, now you have like podcasts like Sereal covering true crime, you know, but they didn't have that back then, you know, but the public appetite to read about these kinds of RNDUS crimes, you know, and to maybe even you know, get some kind of memento of the crime. You know, there's nothing, nothing at all new about that. I mean, that's always existed, you know, there were there were there was some there was always some difference of opinion among journalists about whether Packer was the your innocence and how they're a trial he received, as you said, was originally sentenced to death. He was going to be hanged, and then his lawyer managed to get that conviction overturned on a legal technicality, and he was retried. He couldn't be retried for murder. That would be double jeopardy. So he was tried and convicted of five counts of manslaughter and given eight consecutive a five consecutive eight year sentences for a total of forty years, which was essentially a life term. He was in his thirties by then, maybe even a little older. But then this very crusading Denver journalist named Polly Pry, who was doing an expose on prison conditions in Colorado, encountered Packer, and you know, of course knew how notorious he was, and interviewed him, and she became convinced that the story that he told was the truth. And you know that Bell had killed these other guys, that he had killed Bell in self defense. You know that he had monibilized the corpses. But you know, again there were other cases, notorious cases of that kind of survival cannibalism. You know, the people had not been persecuted anyway, prosecuted anyway. So she set about, she launched this crusade to get Packer pardoned, and ultimately he was paroled, uh, and then lived out his last few remaining years, you know, kind of as a well, sort of something of a little local celebrity. You know. By then, you know, the west of the Frontier, you know, is already you know, turning into a kind of mythic you know, mythic thing. Uh. And Packer seemed like one surviving you know, relic of this you know past. And you know, when these when these brave frontiersmen, you know, would venture into the wilderness and deal with these horrible conditions and so on and so forth. So you know, and and he died still insisting on his innocence and and then you know, entered into the realm of American legend.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And I wanted to say too, for those people that they're going to discover this book that you also talk about basically and again it is not with there's not one shred of anything that happens in this book that isn't without controversy. Is there's an exhamation made and still and so that would be for the people to discover themselves that there is. Again, this case fascinated people right from the very beginning, and in various ways, the media picked up on it and he went from reviled to hero, to reviled to hero to the myth to the butt of jokes and curiosity. But again, like you say, he has gone on to be an infamous legend in American history.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's a part of the American folklore.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about Man Eater, the life and legend of an American cannibal. And for those Harold again you how many two prime books do you have under your belt? Now? What's this number if you can remember?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna say a dozen but yes, I'm gonna say a dozen.
Speaker 7: And for those that are gonna look up your record in terms of your work, these you've written about some of the if not almost all, of the important cases in America in depth and fascinating again definitive accounts of some of the most heinous villains in America. So I want to thank you very much Harold for coming on again once again and joining us for to talk about man Eater. I want to thank you very much. Do you have a website to do Facebook?
Speaker 5: I don't do Facebook, but there is a Harold Scheckter dot com website. I think I do have a Facebook page which I ever go on, but that somebody else maintains for me so people can contact me say yes.
Speaker 7: Well again, thank you very much, Harold. Good to talk to you. Thank you very much, and you have agreed evening.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you very much. I appreciate it. But com