Speaker 1: Good morning sports cards fans, and welcome back to Hobby Hotline on four Collectors. My name is Dan. I have a channel right here, but I am joined by Esteemed panel today. Lauren is nice to see you this morning. You and I have actually never been on Hobby Hotline before, but of course we've communicated many times in the Hobby Hotline chat. So good morning to you. How are you?
Speaker 2: I am good. I'm happy to be here with you and Chris, and I think we got some good topics to get into, so it's gonna be a good morning.
Speaker 1: And Chris, how are you doing all right?
Speaker 3: I'm pinch hitting for another Hobby Hotline post or couldn't make it today.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what we nay each other out.
Speaker 3: That's I think that's kind of my job. That guy that comes in in the seventh or eighth inning, you're behind, you got a man on base. They bring in the left hander out of the bullpen, and you bring the left off the off the bench to face him.
Speaker 1: Well, there you go.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's keep rocking in the free world.
Speaker 1: There, Bob So I did not attend the National Laura and I were just discussing this a short time ago, but both of you did. Both of you were on the big stage, and I saw the picture of.
Speaker 3: A very nice stage this year, but I think we had like actual cushion. Yeah, kind of went all out. So that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: There you go. One thing I did notice, Chris is that you're a very tall man.
Speaker 3: Yes I am. I'm a very large man six three.
Speaker 1: Six, I have six to one. So if I stood next to you, you'd make me look small, which is is a rarity in my life. But anyway, so let me let's let's go over and say hello to the chat this morning. Uh uh. Phil Pie was here already before we even opened. Asked who our guests were talked about the back and shutdown which we will be talking about, and I answered him Chris and Lauren. No, Uncle Rich, Yes, sorry. Uncle Rich and I have done many shows together. He's usually on with me and it's a it's wonderful, but not his ton. Uncle Rich is one of my guys, and he's definitely one of our our guys.
Speaker 3: We missed him at the National.
Speaker 1: He didn't Good morning to Mad City brew yank me card Steve, Hello from Tucson. I assume that's Tucson, Arizona. Red light three four three, Good morning from the crane. I don't know what that means the crane, you guys know. Peter b good morning. Oh the great Bob Bob Boosel is here. That is a that is a good piece of information. Pastor Craig, how are you, sir this morning?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 1: You are everywhere just WATCHINGTY six. I just put it up, Larry. It just went up at ten thirty. I appreciate looking at my videos the moment they go up. Sports Guru seventeen, Good morning everyone. Good morning to you, Sarah apl and Vegas. Good morning, baseball card curmudgeon. What's up, fella? It's not fellas we go?
Speaker 2: Lauren Ellas is gender neutral. I'll accept the NFL.
Speaker 1: There he is, John Keating. I will see you at the Philly Show. I hope, sir. We're gonna have a lot of people around, so you better come this time.
Speaker 3: I guess I should explain the background. This is what we call a door, kind of like a mid nineteenth century French Renaissance door. This is called a bare wall, and behind me is just a pile of sheets and blankets, because this is the spare bedroom and we have no place else to store it. So that explained my background.
Speaker 2: We need to get you a framed photo of the public transit to Atlantic City.
Speaker 3: The train, Yes, the Atlantic City train, so you go.
Speaker 1: Uh, I didn't even know there was a train to Atlantic City until this moment. I've only ever driven there was at the National.
Speaker 3: Were you guys at the National It's literally right next door the train stations at the convention center.
Speaker 1: Really well, I came back started.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the next time the Nationals in Atlantic City. You don't have to stay in Atlantic City. You can stay in Philadelphia. You can stay in Cherry Hill. There's a very nice hotel within walking distance of the train station there.
Speaker 1: So red Light has confirmed that he is, in fact working in his crane. Be safe, sir, Good morning from the Greatest Sport. Wait, John, you're in New York. John, if you're in New York, you should you should visit with me the Greatest. So we clarified that I don't even want to start dan chart. Yeah, I collect it twenty four to thirty nine. Good morning, Good morning to you, Good morning to Joseph Confluence sports cards. Perfect time and just got done mowing. Uh well, I live in New York City, so there's no mowing. Good morning to BK Sports Card Stories, Phil Pie. We have said hello to you already. Cooter lev is here, Hey, sir, how are you there? We go see this is the story. It would it would detract from us concentrated on from you. Yeah, all right, well I think she already said that. Let's see. I think we're done with saying good morning to the chat. Is everybody here? Yes? Oh, there we go. TJ is here, Tony, how are you sir? Yes, well you were lucky one of the best guys around. He helped me do an interview with Love of the Game auctions on my channel that went up on Friday morning. And Tony is, of course one of those guys who not only a good guy, but also has tons of knowledge, so bringing him in to that situation was was advantageous for me and for Love of the Game, which closes, by the way, on Saturday night, and I am in it officially in it, so we'll see what happens. So we have three topics to discuss this morning. The first one, I guess you know, you can't do a hobby hotline without talking about grating. So we're gonna, uh, we're gonna go to this, of.
Speaker 3: Course you bring in the panelists that doesn't get his carved well.
Speaker 1: To be fair, I have never actually submitted to Beckett. I've submitted to SGC many many times and to PSA a few times. But I guess Lauren, you would be the person to ask, since neither Chris nor I have ever submitted to Beckett? Have you ever submitted to Beckett?
Speaker 2: I don't think we have. I have like a long story about, you know, a card that I sent a PSA that was a ten got damaged in their ceiling process and blah blah blah. So I I prefer Beckett because I like that they tell you like how you got to that grade, So I I would I really my number one is s GC, but I do like Beckett. And then PSA is way down at the bottom, so.
Speaker 4: I'm glad he listened to the other Chris. So yeah, I mean, I guess the big picture here, and and you know Phil Pie, who a couple of people came in.
Speaker 1: Where was Phil Pie there? It is okay screwing up something. Let's buy our competitors and totally miss it up. I don't know. I mean, if anything has come of the purchase of Beckett by p s A or Collector's Universe. It's that Beckett seems to have gained in the in the hobby. Their numbers are up, and I think maybe their reputation is up because they would they had they went through a spell there, which John John Keating mentions here there was a point where Beckett kept screwing Becket grading. I'm not talking about doctor Beckett, but Beckett Grading was screwing up all sorts of PR stuff, including this new logo they released at the Atlantic City, which I you know, I was there and saw it, and then they just never did anything with it. But at this point I kind of feel like they're doing okay, and shutting down is the new is the new black so to speak. You know, uh, TAG is shut down and PSA shut down and who else somebody else did.
Speaker 3: To be Beckett and Tag. Yeah. Yeah, as someone who went to the National the lines at the PSA were out or ridiculous all week. Same thing with BGS, same thing with cgcf GC was a ghost town all week.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I kind of felt kind of felt sorry for you because if you wanted to get your cards graded and didn't care which card grader did it you can get your card. I'm pretty sure graded quickly. At SGC, there were no lines. I have a theory as to why this is. When I was last on hobby Hotline a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that about two thirds of the cards being graded were TCGs and that was crowding out a lot of the sports cards being submitted. So I have a theory that a lot of sports card collectors were waiting for the national to sub their cards. Hence the long lines at PSA, the long lines at CGC, and the long lines at Beckett. So that's my theory about it. And I'm sticking SCC didn't do on site grow okay that I did.
Speaker 1: Not know that they should have. I'm sorry, Lauren, go ahead, they should have.
Speaker 2: They would have made a killing because p s A and Beckett shut down they you know, every like I think what said is right. I think a lot of people were saving and waiting for the nationals so they could get it back quickly. And some people who submitted their card they weren't going to get it back like they had the expectation they get it back by Sunday, and PSA had to tell them like, oh, I think it's going to be longer than.
Speaker 5: That, which is a subject in and of itself that we didn't we didn't talk about, but I mean it was part of the whole grading landscape at the National.
Speaker 1: I have a submissions and it was submitted it mailed it out on April sixteenth, three or four days after I got back from Strongsville, and it has a lot of strong sweel cards in it. And here I am the Nationals over the Philly Show's coming up, and I still have it back. It went into what it called postgrading, which used to be postgrading next day in the mail, got your cards back. Past grading now is like a couple of weeks. So now I'm like, I might not even get this back like before the end of August. We'll see what happened, but that's that's gonna be like four to four and a half months door to door for SGC, which frankly is going to kill their business because one of the things that they offered as an alternative to the other ones is that they were fast. They were fast, their customer service was good, their grading is good. My last submission with them took three months door to door, and the grating was good, and I said, I did a whole video, and I said, I don't know if I'm still going to grade with them. I'm probably gonna do one more, but maybe not. And here we are, and they've they've you know, they're pushing me in a situation where I don't know, I can't have cards out for four and a half months. I'm sixty two years old. I don't have four and a half months, you know. But anyway, I think your points are well taken, Lauren, and I think that ultimately something's got to give because if everybody's closed, and you know, even CGC is now saying four to six months.
Speaker 2: For return, that which is crazy. If CGC and SGC are pushing out three four months, that's that's absurd, like that, that's just so wild. They I don't know, I know, I'm sure it's a complicated, you know, situation, and and you know, like Chris said, a lot of TCG, which not a lot of us are familiar with. So, you know, for the sports cards to be feeling the impact of TDG is interesting but also not our problem. And the trading companies have to come together and figure it out. They have to because we have certain expectations and for SGC to take you, you know, from April to now you still don't have your cards. That's wild for them. That is the thing that they are best known for. And yeah, I mean they're all kind of in the same boat, which is, you know, counterintuitive when you have options. You know, that's kind of not how this is supposed to work.
Speaker 1: So so John says, here, buy your cards already graded. That's one solution. The other solution is magnacro.
Speaker 3: But I think that I really.
Speaker 1: Do all stack of them, because that's what I've been doing lately for four and a half months. I didn't stop buying cards, but I stopped grading cards, and I put them in my one touches and they look perfectly fine, some of them, you know. And the other thing, and I did a thing, I did a thing on another show that I do where I said, the freedom not to grade is something that I'm feeling, you know, particularly cheerful about that. I don't feel like I have to grade every card now. And you know, a card comes in and I know it's you know, it's an old I do a lot of vintage. I know a lot of a lot of my cards are ones or ones and a half, one and a half or whatever. So I will look at the card, say this is going to be one. Why do I need sgcated on me? It's one, britt a magpro. I don't have to wait four and a half months. I put it up on the wall or whatever, and there we go. So I think not grading or buying cards that are already graded are probably the solutions that they're pushing us into with this.
Speaker 3: And another solution is I think collectors need to realize that not every card needs to be graded exactly. Not every twenty twenty six tops based rookie needs to go on a slab, right, And unless you're getting like a Gemmin ten or even a black Label ten, the amount you pay to get that card graded, the return on that is probably at best breaking. So I think a lot of folks need to learn that the hard are going to learn that the hard way.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I supposed there for a second freedom not to grade yet. So the problem, of course is that you know, I'm not in the modern hobby, and I know a lot of the modern hobby is basically run by you know, grading cards, increasing value, selling the cards. That whole flipping mentality is something that I'm sort of foreign too, and you know, it's it's changing that landscape, and I wonder, I mean, is that something that is really going to change the way that the modern hobby acts?
Speaker 3: Thoughts it should? I don't know if there's enough? Well, what was it? The PT Barnum said, there's one. I'm born every minute. As long as there are people who think that they're smarter than they already than they actually are, and think that they can make money in this hobby by flipping cards, there's always going to be a demand for services like grading, So.
Speaker 2: True, I think. I mean for me, I the only time I grade is because, like if I'm submitting something for grading, which is very rare, does not happen very often. It's because I want my cards to be secure. I'm a big cocoa golf collector and SGC was fast and they're in South Florida, I believe, so like they the cards would come back to me quickly. It's doac nicely. So like my cocoa collection is mostly from what I've pulled or what I've acquired raw SGC, and it's because I am keeping those and I like them to be protected neat whatever. But yeah, I think I think people do have to kind of recognize, like like it's it is an option, it's not a necessity. And if you're flipping, then yeah, usually you know, in order to make that extra few dollars, you know, you need the nine over an eight or ten over a nine. But I think the only like I think the real two reasons that people should grade is a either to protect their card because they want it to be you know, kept safe, or be they need to verify that their card is real and legitimate. And I think that, like Chris said, just you know, throwing in a base rookie of somebody just because you know people are talking about it or whatever. I don't think that that's a sustainable way obviously a sustainable way to grade. So I think people, I mean, and I'm not trying to put it back on collectors. I definitely think the companies have to figure stuff out. This is their service and they're not providing it properly. But I do think collectors need to be a little more discerning about what they want graded and how they want it graded, because also PSA grades they don't I don't want to go on a PSA rant but like they don't tell you why it gets that grade, and they also will charge you based on their perceived value of that card. And you know, you need to be more discerning as a collector if that is relevant to you and your hobby experience.
Speaker 1: So all one hundred percent tro and I think you know, I will accept some you know, some guilt for sending cards in that probably shouldn't have been graded, but a lot of it was I wanted them to be authentic. I wanted them to display and wanted them to be you know, and like I said, everything I collect, pretty much everything I collect is victied. Most of what I collect these days is pre war. And so you know, authenticity is something that maybe five ten years ago I didn't really I wasn't comfortable in my own determinations of that, But now I am, so I feel pretty good that Chris, what happened to the apartment? You had a beautiful piano there.
Speaker 3: I moved just split second.
Speaker 1: To your point, Lauren, it makes no sense to grade something where you're not adding any value. I feel like, you know, that's part of the reason I'm using these this this you know PSA one, SGC one or in a mag the card is worth and so why spend the extra fifteen or twenty bucks? And we wad four anyway, So we did have a topic number two, which is depressing his Heck, I'm gonna play a video and the video starts about thirty seconds in to set the stage here. It is a it's a video of a theft, and it's a theft of something I believe to be about a ten thousand dollars card. The gentleman who you'll see in a white hat and a white shirt is apparently the dealer. He's facing in a certain direction doing something, and behind him there is an older man and a younger who's probably the boy's probably ten or twelve years old. The man might be his father, his grandfather, or nobody. He could be, you know, just some guy who you know, needed a kid to distract or whatever. But I'll play it from about thirty seconds and I think it deserves some commentary. That's about all we need to see, So if you missed it, there there's a conversation between the boy and the man. The man opens up the lid of the case, reaches in, grabs the card, gives it to the kid. They have a little conversation for about three or four seconds, and then they leave. The dealer, who I believe the dealer is. The gentleman in the white, white hat and white shirt is facing in the other direction of the entire time. And so my original thought of this is how freaking sad this is because there's a kid there who's this experienced. You know, there are videos, there are pictures, they're close ups. Eventually law enforcement is going to find this gentleman and take action against him, and this kid is going to have to deal with this for the rest of his life. And to me, that's extraordinarily sad. But from a hobby perspective, it's a couple of things. One is, some of us said this before the national there's a lot of money going around. There's a lot of people and eyewitnessed thefts, not didn't witness thefts last year, but had some connection with some dealers that I knew that had been that had been victimized. And so theft was bad last year, it was worse this year. And this is like the poster childs of theft. And I have some thoughts, but I want to go to you guys first, Lauren, what's your like, your initial reaction and some of your thoughts on on what this is all about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I when I first saw the video, my my stomach sank because it's it's sad and it's frustrating, and we were set up as dealers at the National and unfortunately that's what's on our mind the whole time. I the only time I stepped away from our table was when I was on the Hobby Hotline panel and I set alarms. I couldn't get caught in a conversation. I did just have to kind of like wave goodbye and dip. I couldn't be gone for too long because this is the concern, and it's it's it's there's just so many things. I know a lot of people are feeling a lot of things, but it's it's mostly just disappointing because you you don't want to look at everybody who walks up to your table as a threat, and unfortunately you do because you just don't know what people's intentions are. And I am constantly just scanning back and forth. And they were so slick about it. He just lifted it up, slightly, slid it out, looked at it like he was pretending to examine it and then handed it to the kid like the kid was going to examine it, and then they just slid it in their bag, and you know, it's it's unfortunate. And I believe it was upstairs. So like the upstairs space is an expansion of the National and the growth of the National. And you know, I don't know who the dealer was. I don't know those details, but like that might have been somebody who felt very fortunate to get a table at the National. It might have been their first year, it might this is only our second year setting up in National. We feel very grateful that we have that opportunity, and you know, it is overwhelming and unfortunately, you know, they I don't want to blame the dealer because obviously it's not their fault. Somebody stole from them, but there's so many things that you have to balance as a dealer at the National, and unfortunately, not trusting the people around you is in the top five. So it's sad because it also, you know, it reinforces that what I'm doing and what Brian is doing at the table is necessary. You know. Unfortunately, you know, we make great conversation with people. We met a lot We met so many great people and we had so many great conversations, but it just takes that one person that betrays your trust that you know will impact how you move forward. So it's it's just hurtening. I think. I think the good thing is that most people agree that's a terrible thing to do and a gross thing to do. And the fact that it spans, you know, two to three generations based on you know, the age of the older man and the child, you know, I think that's very discouraging. But I think people recognizing, you know how vast and you know how it could be anyone, and I don't know, it's it's a lot. I would like to hear what you guys think also is as you know, vintage collectors and just people who love the hobbyh.
Speaker 3: Chris, I want a second what Lauren said about not wanting to blame the dealer or the victim.
Speaker 4: Here, Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: You gotta have some kind of situational awareness here. I mean, you got to lock up your display cases if they're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're going to turn your back, you have to lock your case.
Speaker 3: You have to lock your stuff up. Second of all, how stupid do you have to be to steal something at the National Everybody everybody has one of these in their pocket. You have all of these content creators with their boom mics and camera crews filming everything. Just about every dealer should have some kind of security camera, either their own security system or in this case, I guess this video was taken from the Stevensenter owned Securities. You have have dozens of rent to cops all over the floor, some of them may be taking a nap granted, uh and you have some real cops around. What makes you think that you're gonna be able to get away with it? To me, we we know who these people are. Now, if these people show up at another card show, especially especially now as more and more facial recognition cameras are coming online in public places, unless you were like a mask for a disguise, you're gonna get caught somehow. So stealing is bad. Okay, So we need Curtis Sliwa and the uh cels. You need like Bobby Angels, just a bunch of jack dudes and flight jackets and berets just roaming the the aisles at the National. Next, so vigilanti justice.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was twenty twenty for the National, there was that coordinated effort to steal millions of dollars of cards from the dealer named She. So that happened. What happened after that? Because that happened I guess right before the National, It happened at the Dallas show. That was right before the Cleveland National. What happened after that was there was a there was a concerted effort by dealers to do what all of you people have suggested Lauren, Chris and the chat lock your cases. You have to lock your cases. And this you know. I go to dealers, they know me. They unlocked their cases, they handed me the card. They're standing there looking and then I handed back to them and they and they locked their case again. And a lot of the dealers that I know this is this is what they do. And Lauren, you know you you said something. The fact that you and Brian are there together, working together is helpful not only just for your you know, to work in a normal way, but protecting you against theft. And I think TJ. Tony, who said in the chat just now, the National has to be better about giving out dealer badges so that people can can watch for each other. And you know, if it's a husband and wife team, of course that they're going to get the badges. But you've got to have somebody else. And I remember after the Dallas theft, came to the National in Cleveland and Bill Chapple, who was a renowned fantastic vintage dealer, wasn't alone he usually works alone. He had like three other guys with him, And I'm like, this is smart. You have you have a He had like a you know, a semi rectangle of multiple cases, and he had one guy here, one guy here, and him here, And that, to me is the best way to prevent this lock your cases, have more eyes on it, to never turn your back when you have a ten thousand dollars card in an open case. Again, I don't want to blame the victim, but we have to as a hobby and as dealers, and I do deal at local shows, and I know what it's like to be on the lookout for it. We have to be vigilant about looking out for this stuff. Cameras. Yes, that's another thing that came about a little bit more often after the big theft in Dallas is that that now there are cameras on tables. People have their little cameras. What do they cost twenty to thirty bucks? You know, it's like it's worth it's worth the investment. I know that there has been a lot of theft in the Pokemon world, and those dealers tend to have more cameras, So I think that that's one of those things that maybe we learned from them, is that cameras lock your cases, extra eyes, vigilance, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: And another thing too, is that this took place in that upper level of the National where I'm assuming that that's where they're putting all of the new dealers. That that was the kind of the vibe that I got. You had. You had a lot of the international guys the which I thought was pretty neat, a lot of Bobby deal from Europe, but a lot of newer dealers that may not have ever set up at a national before that may not have the situational awareness to lock up their cards constantly. So very expensive lure lesson learned for one.
Speaker 1: Dealer, And you know, again, I think that it's one of those things that it should be well, thank you, it's one of those things that should be a learning lesson like that, like the Dallas thing was a learning lesson, but Dallas was, you know, more than two years ago now and more dealers come in, there's more people in the space and people forget. But we'll see. I'd like for this to be a lesson. And you know, Chris, your point is, did this guy realistically expect to get away with this? I don't know if he's been arrested yet. He did get away with it, but yeah, you're gonna be on.
Speaker 3: Camera or the Scooby Doo gang is on the case. Yeah, those meddling kids will get it.
Speaker 1: They'll bring him to justice, they'll pull the mask off of him. It's it's Michael Rubin. That's a transition for our next topic. But the story is that, Chrissy, you brought this up. This guy didn't expect to get away with this, but the Dallas guy's got away with and I think that where they were a lot more coordinated. They were able to get the facial recognition on those guys, but they haven't been able to find that find them.
Speaker 3: So you know, they haven't shown up to a card show since this. Well, yeah, they probably aren't even in the country. But there's different levels of theft. Obviously, a million dollar theft versus a one single card sort of. I don't know if the guy thought this through or whatever, but you know he didn't. It didn't look like a planned, uh you know, organized larceny as opposed to this guy just kind of reaching it and taking it out a little different but so less thought involved, less planning involved, and less thought of the concept of getting caught. But yeah, I mean, we'll see what happens. But it's sad, but it's a lesson and it should be used as I did.
Speaker 1: A TEJ did say. Tony said that you can't even go to CBS and buy deodorant anymore without without getting into a law case. And I thought, well, how many of the people at the National were actually buying deodorant?
Speaker 2: That's the big They probably thought about it, and then they had that barrier and they're like, you know what, this is.
Speaker 3: A sign someone I forget who I might have been a breaker. They were giving away like tiny card ladder sticks of deodorant, which I thought, card ladder, Yeah that's who it was.
Speaker 1: Dan, Good morning, sir. I don't know. I mean I think we will, right, we should. They would want it to be, you know, in a theft like this where it's now gotten a lot of publicity. You want it to be known that the guy was caught. You want it to be like a deterrent to other people saying, Oh, I'm just gonna go in and open a case and grab a car and I'll be fine. No, you won't be fine. Your picture will be all over the internet. People will talk about you on hobby hotline and and you will eventually go to jail. It is, by the way, a grand larceny. Well yeah, and not value.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not to say get like too lost in the weeds, but like if they traveled there and they took this, you know, they're out of state and they traveled with it, like like what you know, and it's a perceived price, but like you know, like based on the value, like you know, like there's so many different levels to it that we need to know, you know. I mean, I'm nosy, I will admit it. I'm very nosy, and I like to know information. But I think it's important that we know like what who it is, and what the steaks are, what what will happen if you do this? You know, I think it's important that the consequences are known. So like we don't need to tarn feather them and like you know, the town square, but we need to know, like what is being done to say you cannot do this, we will not tolerate this, and you know, these are the consequences that are very clearly laid out.
Speaker 3: So I give them the stocks. Sure, yeah for sort of tarn feathering.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, it's let's messy and you know.
Speaker 3: Cheaper feathering, all right.
Speaker 1: Okay, so John says, no one cares, No one cares about what I didn't get to the bottom here.
Speaker 3: Okay, no one cares about Kurds. Okay, I think we need that.
Speaker 1: I don't agree with you, John, I think it's very important. Take that, mister Keating. All right, So we do have another topic. I'm gonna go back to the video here. Our topic is Michael Rubin and his his second in charge guy who is named Mayhan, being interviewed by sports card Nonsense Mike Geo and his partner whose name I forget, Jess. There you go. And so they they did an interview. Sports Car Nonsense had a booth upstairs at the National They were given some sort of media like title, and so they got to interview Michael Rubin and it was I have thoughts, but we'll splay some video.
Speaker 6: We think the hobby shops are and will continue to be the fabric of this hobby and we.
Speaker 7: But we want them to do it the right way and then breakers. Look, we think breaking is a good thing, right. It allows people accessible price points. It allows people to select the team that they wanted, the character that they want, right without having to buy the whole box. It's really think about it as a group buying format. That's really what it is in a syndicated format. And what people I think lose sight of is it's not the breaker that gets the car. There's a collector at the other end of that. Right, the breaker opens it on camera over and says, oh, the breaker pulled the card.
Speaker 1: No, no, there's a collector that got the car.
Speaker 6: So we don't say oh, or breakers better than hobby shops or Vice. But we think there are so many great hobby shops out there that drive the collector experience. We think there's so many great breakers that drive the collector experience, and we want to support everything that drives the collectors.
Speaker 1: Well, there's so much more I need to So if I were if I were really I should do like a Carlos style breakdown of this video, because there are so many things about this video and I watched it last night and I laughed at times and I yelled at times. But the reality is, and I'll let you go Chris in a second, the reality is they're selling us a loadable and it's just marketing, marketing, marketing, and this whole concept that they care about the customer and they care about the card shops is not But anyway, Chris, go ahead, I'm.
Speaker 3: Sorry, just just so we're on the same page. Which one was Beavis and which one was bought head again? All right? In all seriousness, remember when breaking first became a thing about like maybe fifteen years ago. The way I remember breaking starting is that it was really it was really among team and individual player collectors. These were guys that didn't want to pay two hundred dollars for a pack of Triple three and not get anybody, not get their guy, or not get their team. So they got together through the magic of the Internet and the magic of the free market. Some guy, dude, did we ever even find out who invented the group break? I don't know. I don't care. Some guy said, I will buy a case of this. All I want is my team and the other twenty one ninety teams. I'll just sell for one thirtieth of the price of this case, and at the end, I'll just send you the cards of your And that worked for a while, and then, really about ten years ago you started seeing this other element to group it becoming this cottage industry where it's not just about team set collecting or individual player collecting. It really became almost a form of gambling. You have a lot of guys that get into group breaks that really aren't interested in the team that they get. They just hope that they get a valuable card more than their return on their investment. I mean, mayhean can say whatever he wants about group breaking. That's what it is now. It is essentially a form of gambling. And I'm hearing a lot of stories in the mainstream media about group breaking, And there are a lot of folks out there that want this regulated as if it were gambling, and I don't blame them. So, yeah, group breaking is kind of evolved into something that I don't think it's original creators anticipated. So and the thing is too, is that the manufacturers have some are kind of encouraging this with the way these products nowadays are structured. You take a typical top baseball release, this isn't really these products aren't really even meant to be collected anymore. They're really meant to be broken. This is why we have seventy eight different parallels of each card. Did collectors want seventy eight different versions of the same card? No, But it allows some dumb group breaker on a group on a live stream to scream like a banshee when he pulls one same thing. With a lot of these multi case hit inserts, how the heck are you supposed to collect something a ten card in or it's set that's seated at the rate of like one in every fifty sixty seventy cases, You can't. So who is this really for? Again, it's to provide value for breaker. So when I see these guys hyping up break, Oh, it's a great way for team set calls builder, just get the guys they want. Yeah, it is, but that's not what it really isn't.
Speaker 1: Well, So, Lauren, I know you have thoughts. We've thoughts a little bit about this. I have a whole thing that I've written down, but I don't want to get into that yet. I want you to you to speak.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I just I have so many thoughts. I know, I know one thing that we kind of I've still kind of been processing. But somebody said Mad City Bruce said, can we pay in Fanatics cash to join a break? And they're really pushing the Fanatics cash thing. There was like a staged protest about O fiend stuff. They had shirts, they had signs, they had spray painted the sidewalk like it was like some kind of like you know, gorilla grassroots movement, and it was basically like if you sell on our platform, you can have Fanatics cash and then you can put it towards whatever you want on Fanatics and in including breaks because they have Fanatics Live. And I'm I'm still kind of processing that. I don't have like a fully baked idea of like what exactly doesn't sit right with me on that, but it it doesn't and I think, you know, I know, like for Brian, he actually he's been a collector since he was a little kid and very pretty pretty consistently in you know, the hobby and on the message boards and stuff, and he and actually Alex Tresler Army ATC he used to buy into his breaks when Army. When Alex was breaking like overseas, like you know, like when he was like stationed in Afghanistan, I think, yeah yeah, and like you know he would break it. He'd post it on YouTube and you'd go yeah yeah, and like like Brian, one night we went through a bunch of he was like, because he can remember, he's got like a memory, like a safe and he was like, I remember this particular break. It was this product with this person. And we went through and we watched YouTube videos from like fifteen almost twenty years ago of breaks that he was a part of, and you know, he remembers the cards and then he was able to like look up the cards to like, you know, the the provenance of those cards, and you know that that it's a it's an interesting history because it's it does feel like breaking just came out of nowhere and started on whatnot and it's basically just like gambling, and it's I don't know, I think trying to think of like how to say this like as as like intelligently as possible. I think fanatics is able to turn you know, the head of the hobby because they are the neck because they have their hands so deep in everything and they they can I agree with you guys that it was marketing. They went up there with talking points. I know somebody said, like Rubens sitting there slouching, like yeah, he's a billionaire, but he's trying to be like, no, I'm just a cool sports guy like you guys, you know exactly, and you know, like and then Mike Mayhan is sitting there and he's like got a Duke jersey on, but he's kind of sitting there like a stiff boardroom guy. Like it's a weird juxtaposition. And like I think, you know, I know a lot of people said, like they're catering more towards like like the youth. You know, people love they love Ruben because he has like an if you're like a seven year old kid who loves sports, he has like an interesting life because you're like he's partying in the Amptons with Karl Anthony Towns and like you know, and Tom Brady's on speed dial, like and it's it's it's like a lifestyle sale kind of thing, and it's a marketing thing. And some of us are a little more you know, discerning and maybe curmudgeony, and we're like not into it. We're not buying that side of it. We just want to collect cards and like connect with people. And it's it's I think we all need to listen when they're speaking to us and have the wherewithal to know they're feeding you aligne like they can say like, no, we we don't. You know, we don't want, you know, card shops to suffer if it's not if it's not impacting your bottom line in a positive way. You don't care if my local card shop is suffering or not, if they're getting out pations or not. You know, like it's it's it's disingenuous, and I think that I think we do need to be a little bit more critical of them when we see these things that are basically flying in the face of what we know. What we know the reality is so But I would Dan, I would really like to hear what you have to say. And I'm sure you get a lot of thought into it, and I'm I'm very interested.
Speaker 3: Well, you know.
Speaker 1: How much time we have left take it up. I would encourage anybody you know who hasn't watched this interview to go watch it. It's on Sportscard nonsense. I don't subscribe to them. I don't like them. I don't like what they do. The way that they approached this interview was to just b yes men, and there's no no follow up questions. They ask some hard questions, but they're all just really just softballs, and it's a terrible interview from an interviewing perspective. But that being said, whatever, the point here is that collectors. I'm sorry Fanatics was at the National spending almost all their time talking in this interview about fanatics Fest, which I thought was really disrespectful. The other thing is that they kept saying what they're working. They're obsessive in their work to make the experience better for collectors. They're obsessive working for collectors. And I was laughing at this because I'm thinking to myself, these guys don't give a rat's ass about collectors. They want they Their their main thing is to grow their company, and the bottom line is that is what they're obsessive about. And there was a point where they were talking about hobby shops and they've got this description of hobby shops as tier one and the only hobby shops that Michael Rubin could name were Burbank, who is It's a whole different story. I'm a Burbank fan. I'm a fan of the what they're doing, but they're the most They're the biggest, you know, card shop in the world, or at least in the United States. He also talked about cards HQ, and he talked about Tom Brady, So he had Burbank biggest card show and card shop in the country, Tom Brady and cards HQ, which is expanding now and they're tied in with Fanatics anyway, So he couldn't name any of the card shops, but what he did say was that he wanted to grow the card shops. He wanted them to be better and if you can't be there's a point where he said that if you can't be better, then get out or move or get out of the way. And I thought to myself, he just told all these small hobby shops that like, if you don't do it, it's our way or the highway. And I've said this before on other channels, is that the way they are manipulating hobby shops is through allocation and somebody who actually owns a hobby shops that were okay with the allocation, except it's getting worse. Yeah, it's gonna keep getting warm. And essentially what they're gonna do is put all these corporate shops tier one and the rest of them are out the door, and I think hobby shops, Mom pop hobby shops are are are on the way out the door. The other thing is this concept of breakers. I mean that that whole thing that I played was complete, not The collector's experience is not improved by breaking. It was in the old days. What Chris was describing was that guys getting together and putting them pulling their money together and then getting the best stuff that they wanted out of a product that they all couldn't afford to buy intiviility. That's the best way that breaker, that breaking was, But it's not that way anymore. It's a profit making business used to fleece ninety five percent of the people who buy into it because everybody except the one guy who gets to hit is a loser. So it's all losers and people have been losing money like crazy. The stories all the time about a guy who just spent forty thousand dollars in like two months to break and then lost all of his money and now like his wife is moving out on him, or like he's now defaulting on his mortgage or whatever that stuff is happening. People's lives are being ruined by this, and these guys don't give a rats ass. So one of the other things they talked about was getting rid of distributors, the middleman. They wanted to get rid of the middleman because they said, we are we distribute directly to hobby shops. And I thought to myself, you know what you just did. You just told us your ultimate plan is to basically be able to control the hobby and not have other people have any power at all. But you know what, who you know who distributors are the worst kind of distributors are breakers. They kept saying, we got rid of distributors, but that now we have breakers and breakers are distributors on speed. So lots to talk about. Sorry, I'm just ranting that house.
Speaker 2: No, I love it. I love it you're making.
Speaker 1: But but TJ said this in the in the in the the the chat, and this is the thought that I had last night. We're on where with Simpatico with our thoughts on this. Uh, the hobby is doomed if we let these guys take it on. The modern hobby is if this is the way, we're gonna let it happen. And they want to control everything. They want to control card shops, they want to control distributing, they want to control allocation. They want to control your experience, what cards you get, you know. And one thing that never got talked about, you know, sports card nonsense is tough questions. Uh, the prices, the prices of boxes. There there's no ROI anymore. Every time you buy a box, you're losing money if you open it, and so you know, that's that's the bottom line here is that Fanatics is growing the hobby. Now. They're growing their own company three x or five x per ten x and it's basically taking over the hobby. I am fortunate that they don't. They don't. They don't have much control over my hobby. But you know, my hobby is is it pre war vintage cards. But hey, hobby shops, If the mom and pop hobby shops go away and everything becomes shiny, then that does affect my hobby. And if card shows Fanatics fest they talked all about Fanatics fest. I think they want to take over. I think they want to take over the National and we'll see what happens. That could affect my hobby. But anyway, I just ranted for like five and a half minutes.
Speaker 3: So sorry, guys, No that.
Speaker 2: Was that was honestly.
Speaker 3: You could keep going, great, keep going, man.
Speaker 1: I lost all the there's tons of commons, so.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I just they were really lighting it up. I couldn't keep track.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the marketing moments, Yeah, I mean that. You know. The other thing is, you know, to say what he said, which was, you know, either get better or get out. Yeah, you know, mom and pop don't need to make a gazillion dollars. They don't need to go to Hampton's. I just want to make a living. And sometimes some of the people I know, people who own card shops, it's their their second job or it's their retirement, and they just want to They don't even need to make money, they just want to have a good experience. Hobby's supposed to be fun. It's not all about money. And the thing that the main thing that came out of that Fanatics thing is that Fanatics thinks the hobby is about entirely and it's sad. But anyway, oh well, uh yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, because I know we've been hearing like the five x ten x thing for a few years now, and it again is marketing five x ten x the hobby. I mean, I think they they can mean that in multiple ways, but like if you want to distill it down to like the basic truth, it's a it's a snappy phrase to say more money, We're gonna enrich fanatics and you know, fanatics gobbling you know, certain ip up and that kind of thing. I don't know, I mean, and I you know, I understand, like you know, this is business, this is the way that the world works and stuff. But also I don't know why they have to impose it on everyone, Like you said, Dan, some mom and pop shops they do it just because they love it and this is the world that they know, and this is the world that they want to be in, and they don't want to five or ten x their shop. They don't want to modernize it in a way that is specifically catered to fanatics and fanatics demands they you know, I think that's the hard thing. I know, we've talked about this. I know, doctor Jim and I actually in the show one time talked about like I can't comprehend some of the thoughts of certain people in the hobby because my goals are different. My goal is not to become a billionaire and to continue to enrich myself. It's to enjoy myself and to connect with people and to celebrate the things that I enjoy in a very particular way. And I can't fathom how five x to ten X for fanatics can be that much better, especially when we know their quality is going down. And it's very shameless of them to say that like five x ten X the hobby is going to improve everybody's experience when we know even not you know, like just cards. We know like even their jersey quality has gone down, their customer service has gone down. Like they you know, when you're talking five x ten X, we know what they're saying. They're saying dollar signs. They're not saying your enjoyment, your collection, your experiences, your you know, like they're not talking about like the personal tangible things. They're talking about numbers on a page. And I mean, I know that some people don't believe that, and I think that that's naive and and I'm usually a very lay person, but it's it's they. I think they only want to grow the hobby if it makes them more money. And I understand that's the world they live in, but it's not a world that I have to appreciate, enjoy or endorse. I guess so, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost is if if you give one com any monopoly power, then they don't have to listen to what the end consumer wants any hmmm. Yeah, and the interest of full disclosure. I used to work as an anti trust economist with the people know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a question that I think we discussed a few uh at least a few hosting of my hobby hotline hosting, probably a few months ago, that you know, they they're using allocation as a as a manipulative tool and the legality of it, and I frankly think that there isn't any illegality if they say I don't want to send anything, because at the time, I think that the story was that Burbank had only gotten like three cases of some some new product and it was like they had you know, I can't remember the name of the guy who owns burbank. I just ye, Rob Rob Verus went on like I g and did a video of out how little they had gotten in terms of you know, allocation. You know, it was it was a story for a little bits. Communism is the clete opposite.
Speaker 8: Well comrades, real quick, elective soviet to get new tops, consumer product, real click.
Speaker 2: I just want to say to like we you know we we are hobby Hotline. We're not a big platform, but we're a solid platform where people who care and where people come together who normally may not have conversations come together and talk every Saturday, and you know, we have the chat and it's it's great. You know what thoughts we have and what we say is it is it? Does it really matter to Michael Rubin and fanatics in Mayhan? Maybe not? But you know what what, well, nobody can go up against them, Like let's be honest, if Panini couldn't go up against them, there there's they have too much money, they have too much power, they have too much you know, too much of a device behind them. But we as individuals and as you know, a smaller platform being able to speak out and to talk about it and to talk about the nitty gritty and like some of the like kind of gross, uncomfortable parts of this I think is important. And I think, you know, not just complaining and not just whining, but having like thoughtful conversations like I think we've had here today about what this all means for us and for collectors and for hobby shots and for the ecosystem. I think that's important. And I don't I don't personally want to impress Michael Rubin. He doesn't know I exist, he probably never will, and I'm okay with that. But I I do think we, you know, having pushback and having these conversations, even in our smaller, you know, setting here, I think it's important. I think it's important that people are hearing this and that they can seek it out, they can find it. They can hear what Chris thinks, they can hear what Dan thinks, and your thoughtful discussions. So I'm sorry, I'm just ranting. I just I think these are important discussions because sports card nonsense was Let's be honest, I have not watched the interview, so I'm speaking from a place of ignorance, but based on what Dan said, it was a platform for marketing, for PR, this specific interview and to recognize that is important, and to recognize that's not what Hobby Hotline is is important. And I'm sure that Michael Mahan and Michael Rubin could come on Hobby Hotline and have a conversation, it would go differently than it did on Sports Card Nonsense because of the fabric of Hobby Hotline versus. And I'm not I'm not criticizing Sports Card Nonsense. I'm not like criticizing I am dan is, but like I, you know, I understand their role and what they do and stuff. I think to pretend like this was like a hard hitting interview when it was, it was it was PR. It was it was a marketing conversation to be broadcast as a podcast episode. And I just think that it's important that we're having discussions, we're getting into the nitty gritty of it, and I appreciate that you guys have these thoughts and that you're vocal about it.
Speaker 1: So you know, John, I love John Keating. He's he's an absolute wonderful man and I cherish every moment I've spat with him. But he's wrong when it comes to this. Michael Rubin, will hear right now, I would be asking the follow up questions sport card nonsense. Yeah, but you know, who knows I could be wrong. Maybe they would just bowl me over. I did notice Michael Rubin would touch touch Geo on the shoulder every time he said something that he didn't want you to push back. And you see this. The body language is amazing because you know, people are talking about the slouching and you know that's I'm just the cool guy, you know, you know, And but there was the he was touching people at points where I was like, oh, I know what he's doing right now. He's telling Geo, do not ask me a hard question right now? Do not follow up that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like and they they fell for it. And at the end, Jesse is sitting there thanking them. I wanted to thank you for all you do for the Are you kidding? What is wrong with you? You're sitting there, you know, he wanted to thank them for giving them an opportunity to get a lot of views on that video. Probably you know, people people have stars in their eyes and they and they don't understand that they don't push back on the nonsense sports Card nonsense on the on the gibberish that's being sold to them, on the promotion that's being sold to them, because they're they're hanging out with with God luminaries, so you know, they're stars in their eyes. And you know, Lauren, I think you made it really really good point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is Michael going to watch this? No sports cards nonsense, going to watch this? Probably? But if everybody who was in the chat and everybody who watches this afterwards can take away from the from this that you know, we there there are questions that need to be asked to these people. There are people to look out for. The hobby is not in a good position if this is the guy who's running the modern hobby. And and I think your points are all really well taken, and I totally agree with you. And so we're we're over. We're run over time one of six. Wow. Okay, I don't want John Newman to come in here and shut us down. But anyway, Chris uh, it's always pleasure, sir.
Speaker 3: I do want to state that on Hobby Hotline, all of our noses are not brown, clean are clean?
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate that. I agree with you, but you know you you provide some fantastic analysis, Chris, and I really appreciate you coming on, Lauren. It was an absolute pleasure. I hope we get to do this again again. You you You've said some stuff that really resonates for me. The chat was fantastic today. Some of my favorite guys and and and some of my some guys I don't even know have never met, but some guys that I'm friends with and really happy. The chat was really involved today. So we're gonna say goodbye for now and basically say tune back in next Saturday for Hobby Hotline. I guess we haven't done the September schedule yet, but I've been hosting once a month, so I'm really enjoying my time here and to get to meet some new people and happy to hang out with Chrystal tonight. So today so and chat also appreciate it. So take care, guys, keep rocking.
Speaker 3: Thank you for listening to this episode of Hobby Hotline.
Speaker 6: I just want to remind everyone we are a live show every Saturday morning, eleven am Eastern eight am Pacific on the four Collectors channel on YouTube. That's the number four the word Collectors channel on YouTube. We hope to see many of you live on a future Saturday. We have a great interactive chat room and we always provide a link for anyone that wants to come on the show and chop it up with us.
Speaker 3: So that's a reminder.
Speaker 6: Every Saturday eleven am Eastern eight am Pacific, only four Collectors channel on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Hope to see you on the show.