Speaker 1: Welcomeboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dan Matthews Live and local h town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here.
Speaker 3: We love you all, So finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: Flute up the cooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start.
Speaker 3: Now bear me the eight. This is Space City Saturday. It's insane. Here's seven nineties Dan Matthews.
Speaker 2: Get away.
Speaker 4: We go here for Space City Saturday. Now until noon right here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety Dan Matthews here with you as there's a lot to get into with the Astros. Obviously the season coming to a what we thought was a premature end, but it is a conclusion. Nonetheless, we're not used to that at this time of the year. I mean, right now, you know, we should have Gordy and Ross up in Cleveland. We should be getting you ready for Game one of the Alds today. But in the words Justin Verlander just was not in the cards this year for the Stros. So some uncertainty, some things that we know everything kind of in between there with the Astros this year. We'll get into it here on the show today. If you want to weigh in, you can do so. Sub one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's Sebone three two one two.
Speaker 2: Five seven nine zero.
Speaker 4: As the Astros falling to the red hot Detroit Tigers in the wild Card round not exactly what we wanted to see. Three to one in the first one, five to two in the second one. I mean, you know, you just kind of do the autopsy off the wild Card series. It's pretty simple to point to what did not work for the Astros, and unfortunately, I think it was kind of the sum of all fears with this team. I mean I think that you know, we saw a team all season long that seemingly with runners in scoring position, bases, loaded situations, pretty much anything that was not a two out RBI opportunity. The Astros just were not that team this season, and it came to fruition. I mean, you know, Game one, you faced a really tough one in Trek Scoogle. You were really unable to get to him, and through eighteen inting as of baseball, that was just the case with this Astros team one extra base hit, this entire two game postseason run for the Astros one for them, everything else singles. And I talked about it all season long that the unfortunate truth was with this team is that they were a team of solo home runs and singles all season long. And you know, kind of just the go ahead and just you know, kind of do the inventory of why they lost. I mean, let's just take a look at the Astros huge run scoring opportunity there in the seventh inning, they loaded the bases, they scored two runs. They scored two runs in Game two on a fielder's choice that was not handled at home plate by Jake Rogers. So you get the run to tie the ball game up. And then you get a risky sacrifice fly that Jeremy Pania able to slide across home plate. Darniar slid off the home plate dirt right there and almost at a backstop there with the momentum he had carrying him across home plate.
Speaker 2: But he gets that run. And then you get the.
Speaker 4: Double play right there by Kyle Tucker to get out of the inning, and the flip side of it, because you get the bases loaded after the while pitch to tie the ball game up. Andy Ibanya's as a pinch hitter, and what does he do, Well, he does what you're supposed to do in that situation. He clears the bases with a RBI double right there. Three runs coming in on that double, and that was again right there where you just kind of look at it at that point and say, Yep, not your year. If that team is doing that to you and you're not able to do that to them, then that's kind of what you get. And I mean, the unfortunate truth is with this Astros team, it was just a tale of what we saw all season long. I mean, you know, I understand that people are upset with Kyle Tucker, as I've talked about numerous times the week long that I've been on with Ross Villa Reale. I mean, I know, it's the Matt Thomas Show with Ross, but I think at this point, you know, it's kind of becoming the Dan and Ross Show in some sort of incarnation, either on the Nightcap slash tenth Inning show like we did on Tuesday and Wednesday from Minute Made Park, or even to the Nightcaps that we did this.
Speaker 2: But you know, with Kyle Tucker. You know, it's kind of tough to.
Speaker 4: Say in a two game series like we saw, it's such a small sample size. And I understand that people are going to throw his postseason record at him from last year where it was a little bit longer, obviously getting all the way to seven games in the ALCS, and he just was not good in that postseason. But he's been good in the past. I mean, as Ross and Matt pointed out yesterday, I believe in twenty twenty one he hit two seventy nine, So I mean, that's nothing necessarily to be upset about in terms of what he was able to do in that postseason run or actually I believe that was twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: It was one of the two.
Speaker 4: But regardless, he still swung the bat pretty well in that postseason. And not only that, I mean, you know, I think we can probably agree. I mean, you even saw it if you were watching him run down the first base line on that double play, he looked like he was trying to run full speed, but he was not able to run full speed. And in Game one, remember he comes in, he was trying to get the ball in the corner there on that double down, the right field line off of I believe Parker Meadows hit it. If I'm not mistaken, I was either him or Riley Green. I can't remember who hit it off Josh Hater in that spot. But still, I mean, you know, I saw that, and I saw that ball getting down, and I saw him trying to run after it, and I remembered where I was sitting there at minute, made park saying he's not going to get there, and sure enough he didn't. Jumped over the wall for a ground roll double ended up not hurting you really in the long run. But still, I mean, I think you saw a guy that just again was unable to really get to that full sprint that we're accustomed to seeing Kyle Tucker get to. So I think he's a guy that obviously benefits from an off season. And you're on Alvarez as well. I mean, you know, he pretty much said as much the other day. I believe it was Christy Reekan of the AP that asked him, if this were a regular.
Speaker 2: Season game, would you have played?
Speaker 4: And his response, after a slight pause through translator Jen Looy Herrera, was that's a good question. I don't know, and I think we can probably agree. The answer would have been no, he would not have played, so you'd on Alvarez banged up as well.
Speaker 2: And look, I.
Speaker 4: Mean you don't want to use injuries as an excuse, but I mean it is what it is when it comes to the Astros. You had a less than one hundred percent Kyle Tucker, you had a less than a hundred percent. You were on Alvarez, And I get to what some of you out there might be saying as you're driving around listening to this right now, Well, Dan, nobody's at one hundred percent. I get that, but I mean you also want those guys to be as close to it as possible, and they weren't. And I mean it was pretty evident, and they're at bats I think even showed as much as well. I know that Kyle Tucker when he came back from the injury, was swinging the bat pretty well, I think, probably better than any of us could have really hoped that he would have at that point. But he just was unable to really be in every day one hundred percent guy for you, and that kind of hurt this team. And not only that, but also Jordon Alvarez not necessarily being able to put one hundred percent into his swings. I know he had a couple of really hard hit balls in that first game, and he had the double there in the ninth inning, which was again the only extra base hit the Astros had in this short series. But still, you know, I don't think that we were seeing the full swings, the full legs underneath that swing that we could have seen from Jordon Alvarez. And I mean, as I mentioned, singles, that's pretty much all you got in this series, and that's what it was for the Astros this season. I know that she and Laromee brought this up during the end of season press conference with both Jospoda and Dana Brown of talking about the swing rate was up for this team this year, the chase rate was up, and also too, slugging percentage across the board was down for this team this season as well. And if there's one thing we've known about the Astros during this eight plus year run that they've been on in the postseason, that that's a huge part of their game. The long ball is a huge part, and it is what is predicated and needed for this offense, and they really just at times did not have it this season. And that is why I think across the board you saw the offensive struggles, so a bad combination of not a ton of extra base hits, more strikeouts. That's not a winning formula and that is a huge reason why the Astros are back home.
Speaker 2: So, like I said, it ended the way that we all feared.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know when it came down to it this season, and it was talked about a little bit both with Dana and Joe on Thursday, and we'll let you hear a little bit of that as the show goes along. But not only that, also to channel of Rome's visit with us on the A team earlier this week, might let you hear a little bit of that too as the show goes along. But this is a lineup that I think this offseason, as Dana Brown goes through and tries to build up this roster to be ready for another postseason run in twenty twenty five, that is going to be looked at and highly scrutinized by Dana and his group and maybe even Jospota and his coaching staff as well as they meet and try to evaluate the season and also try to identify where they need to be able to make improvements to this roster going forward, because you were playing the season for the most part without a true first baseman, at least somebody that you could count on there at first base.
Speaker 2: And what do you need from first base?
Speaker 4: I mean, let's be honest here, I think first and foremost, you want to be able to have some sort of offensive threat at first base. That is a huge part of what you're looking for out of that position. It is a position that defensively, I think you're looking more for adequate defense over there.
Speaker 2: You don't need a goal glover.
Speaker 4: You don't need somebody that is going to be just an absolute dynamite fielder over there. That's not the position that you're looking for that out of. You're looking for somebody that can provide a little bit of power and also can be a good bat at the plate. And that is something that I think is going to be one of the priorities this offseason for this team. I don't know if that is through trade. I don't know if that is through a off season move. I really am just trying to rack my brain about how Dana Brown is going to go about doing that. But I mean, you know, I think we can all agree what off season priority Number one is, it's go ahead and reach a conclusion either knowing he is here or knowing he is not here with Alex Brugman. And of course we will talk about that as the show goes along, but just to kind of get us going here in the first segment, I mean, the question is, was this season of success?
Speaker 2: Yes? I mean the Astros are what.
Speaker 4: The Patriots were during their run in the NFL, what the Spurs were during their run in the NBA Alabama, what I guess they continue to, you know, aspire to be on the college love. That's you know, they are those teams of Major League Baseball. Anything short of long postseason runs and championships is deemed a failure by many. But I would also venture to say that this season was different.
Speaker 2: It was a.
Speaker 4: Sprint in the middle. You fell way behind at the beginning of the season.
Speaker 3: I mean, you.
Speaker 4: Started off the season zero to four, after losing those first four games to the Yankees, and then you get the no hitter right there from Renel Blanco. You take two out of three from the Blue Jays. But then you found yourself seven and nineteen twelve and twenty four, and you had some crucial injuries in the middle of the season. You lost Kyle Tucker for three months of this season. You lost Justin Verlander for a couple of months of this season, and when he came back, he was a shell of what we expect Justin Verlander to be. He was not the same guy. And you had numerous injuries to the pitching staff, either guys that you did not get to see throw this season or guys that you hoped we would get to see, and you eventually lost in terms of hose Aikidi and also Christian Hovier and what can be expected from them going forward, and then a sprint at the end. You were down ten games to the Mariners in the middle part of this season, it looked like you had no chance at being able to come back and win the American League West. You were able to overtake them, you were able to win the American League West, and I think when it was all sudden done, all that kind of got to this team and the holes that you had in this lineup and just this team not being as deep as teams that we've seen in the past. That's eventually what got to this Astros team and is a reason why here in early October. We're talking about twenty twenty four in the past, not twenty twenty four in the present, and that is again a huge reason why we are doing and speaking of.
Speaker 2: This team the way that we are.
Speaker 4: But it also too I heard some of the calls yesterday on the Matt Thomas Show with Ross the run is over. You're meaning to tell me that you still have Jose al two A, Kyle Tucker, Jordan Alvarez, JANR. Diaz from ber Valdez, Hunter Brown, Brian Obray, you Josh Hater on this roster and that that's it.
Speaker 2: You know, we're just gonna go ahead and pack it up.
Speaker 4: I mean, I heard somebody else yesterday say it's gonna be a triple A roster in twenty twenty five. Again, like I said last night on the night Cap, I'll say it again right now. I don't know if it's alcohol. I don't know if it's chemically induced. I don't even know if there is a gas leak where you are right now. But if it's either of those three, either put the other two down or get away from the last one because it is unbelievable. Where if nothing else, you're being ruled by emotion right now, and take the emotion out of it. Again, this was a good season for this team. This was a season that was definitely different. I get it, But also though too, it was not a complete failure. And I think you're doing yourself a huge disservice. And I think also too, you're being a prisoner of the moment. If you're going to go ahead and say, oh it's over, go ahead.
Speaker 2: And pack it up.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know some people acting like you're going to go back to being the twenty tens early twenty tens astros. That's not happening. There's way too much talent still on this roster. There's way too much talent that they can still add to this roster. It is a chance for them to be able to recalibrate and given another go next season. Now, again, like I've said, and I did say on the final one that we did, the nightcap ten ending on Wednesday, is it going to be different? Can you expect alcs's every single year? No? And this is case in point that you can't expect that to be the case every single year. And that's why I think that run is one that you should look back on incredibly fondly. But does it mean that the Astros say next year the year after can't get back to that point. No, there is zero reasona believe that they cannot get back to that point. So they can absolutely get back into deep postseason runs. And that is going to be the goal of Dana Brown and his staff this offseason. And Dana Brown's going to be at work this offseason. He told us as much on Thursday, and I believe him because we saw a guy that did some serious work this year to put this team in position to even be able to win the American League West. And I think we can all agree for the most part, his moves that he made were incredibly valuable to accomplishing that goal.
Speaker 2: So I don't think that.
Speaker 4: He is going to sit on his hands this offseason, obviously. I think priority number one, like I said, is Alex Bregman get some sort of conclusion either he's back here or he's somewhere else, and you try to find a third baseman. I don't believe that it is in your system right now. I've heard people bring up Shae Whitcomb, and I'm not saying because of the game he had in that final one against the Mariners. But that is not a third baseman for a championship team, not right now.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that he is.
Speaker 4: I think he's a guy that can contribute, but he's not in every day third baseman that you can count on. That needs to be a veteran option over there. If it's not Alex Bregman at third base, and I think that that player will be here. Who it is TBD will have to try to find out. But like I said, like he did last season, this was a postseason team because of his work, and he will continue to try to make it a postseason team going forward. We're gonna have a live guest here on the show. We don't have too many live guests that join us here on Space City Saturday, but my good buddy Ari Alexander from KPRC two here in Houston, gonna join us at ten thirty. We'll also get into some Texans as the show goes along today. Huge one tomorrow against the Bills, and we also, speaking of that game against the Bills, had a great guest with us yesterday on the A Team, Jeremy White from the morning show on at WGR. The Bills flagship station in Buffalo joined us. We're gonna hear from him at eleven thirty you of h Football. Nice win last night for Willie Fritz and the crew, thirty to nineteen at TCU. Big win for them up there in Fort Worth, first one since nineteen eighty nine. So it was fitting that Andre Ware was on the broadcast last night too. I'm sure he enjoyed that one the Nie Shroff. I know they were showing some of his highlights from games that he played there at Amon Carter Stadium, So we will maybe even have a mention of that game as the show goes along as well, and coming up in the eleven o'clock cour NFL players are bringing up something that I think on its merit sounds like a good idea, but I really think that it could be far from that, So we'll get into that a little bit later on as well as is I'm way over for a break because coming up next, consider the source when it comes to Alex Bregman's future. This guy speaking up, it should mean a lot, and I'll explain next as we continue along here on Space City Saturday, Dan Matthews, here in your home of the Astros, and the Rockets. Sports Talk seven ninety Space.
Speaker 1: City Saturday continues fine Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: In your home to the Astros and the Rockets.
Speaker 4: As we are looking back on the season that was for the Astros twenty twenty four and with us looking you got to look forward to as well, what will happen with Alex Bregman. And we'll talk about this a little bit more in less than ten minutes when my good buddy Ari Alexander from KPRC two joins us. If you follow Ari, you know that he is on top of all things Astros, and not only Astros, he usually too whenever you find out someone's coming up from Corpus Christy Sugarland, Ari is usually the guy that is breaking that news. So he's pretty connected when it comes to the baseball community here. So we will talk with him here in just a.
Speaker 2: Few all right.
Speaker 4: Like I said, consider the source when it comes to the Astros and their attempt to keep Alex Bregman here in Houston. So this started a few weeks ago from Chandler Rome, who again, by the way, we had in studio with us on the A team. If you missed any that download the iHeartRadio app. You can go check out that visit. But he kind of did a little bit of a you know, timeline sequenial timeline here for you know, just in terms of Jose Altuve speaking up about Alex Bregman and why it carries weight when it comes to Jose Altuve speaking about Alex Bregman. A few weeks ago, they were in Anaheim and Chandler Rome had a chance to catch up with al Tuove and he talked about I don't think he's going anywhere, and you know, just talking about everything he's going to try to do to be able to keep Bregman here, and he'd continued to speak along those same lines. I know that we had a chance to talk with him, I believe before Game one. I think it was the workout day is when al Tuove asked again about Bregman and and he even went even further after their season came to an end on Wednesday, as they lost that second game to Detroit and al Touve going as far as to say after the loss that this club needs Bregman to stick around.
Speaker 5: I don't want to get to the idea of thinking about last game with Breggy, like I said two weeks ago, and I'm pretty confidence that he's going to be our third baseman next year. We have to is you know, we're not going to be the same organization without him, So in my mind, there's not a chance that this is the last game.
Speaker 4: All right, So not a chance this is the last game. There's more from al two B because I actually had the follow up question to him of I think the question that I think a lot of people want to know.
Speaker 2: You are pretty confident that he is not going to be gone.
Speaker 4: Why are you so confident when it sounds like everybody out there is saying it's a foregone conclusion that Alex Bregmant isn't here.
Speaker 2: Al Tuove gave me his reason.
Speaker 5: The guy he is, you know, he means a lot. He gave a lot to this organization. So now it's time for us to assertin this organization to pay him back and make him stay here.
Speaker 6: Is that something that you will tell Jim Crane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, there you go. And you know that's the other part as well.
Speaker 4: As I mentioned the Chandler ro visit with us on the A team, he talked about how al Tuvey never talks like this, and I know that some people were floating this around on Twitter that he said the same thing about Carlos Korea. Again, I wasn't here for that, But I've also seen evidence to the contrary where he wasn't direct in terms of, you know, saying, oh, we have to have him here. There's no way we can lose this guy. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that he stays here. Any of those things. But I also think that you need to remember who Altuve and Brugman are both represented by. They're represented by Scott Boris, and Scott Boris was here this last offseason when al Tuove signed his extension with the team, and also too as well. I mean, pretty much, for all intents and purposes, al Tuove probably took less than he really could have if he had stretched this out and even gone to free agency and gone through some negotiations everything of the sort and decided to stay with the Astros. And you have to wonder at that point too, if al Touve didn't as he signed his contract, looked at Jim Crane, looked at Dana Brown and say, hey, look, I'm doing this kind of like what we saw Tom Brady do with the New England Patriots, all those years of taking less money to make sure that he had enough players around him to be able to stay a competitive and high functioning offense for them to be able to win Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: And you wonder if he kind of even.
Speaker 4: Said as much of, look, if I'm doing this, stay committed to us keeping this thing going, and stay committed to us being able to win.
Speaker 2: So I think that all of that carries weight.
Speaker 4: I mean, al Tuve again is a guy that does not speak like this very often, and if he is adamant, then you need to listen for that very reason. It's like the quiet guy that you have as part of your friend group or in your locker room or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: If they get up and speak, you.
Speaker 4: Kind of straighten up because you're like, oh, man, they're compelled to talk. Like we heard this all the time from Andre Johnson when he was a player with Texans, that you'd hear about team meetings on Friday nights before games that if Andre got up to speak, everybody listened because they knew, Oh, if he's hell the talk, then there's a reason for it, because he doesn't do this very often. Now with Bregman, when it comes to it all, you know, again, having a chance to ask him personally, does he want to come back?
Speaker 2: And Bregman says, yeah, I want to be back here.
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 7: So I hope we'll see what happens. I mean, I'm gonna let Scott and the team handle that. Obviously, it's free agency and I don't really have never experienced that before, and I'll let I'll let him and all the teams handle that name.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, we'll get into this a little bit more with Ari Alexander as as said coming up next here. But I mean there's a lot to consider in terms of what the Astros want to do to keep this team as intact as possible, but also too, I mean, you know, is it something that you do that could maybe be a detriment to this team in the few I mean, we'd seen it of what precipitated to lead up to the early twenty tens struggles with this team. You spent emotional money during those times, and you made unsound decisions in terms of contracts to be able to try to get back to reaching the postseason, and not only the postseason, but the World Series. After getting a taste of it in two thousand and five, and those moves are what spent sent the astros into a tail spend where they had to completely hit demolition and build this thing back up from the ground and be in position for what they are right now. So I think all those things have to be answered, and we'll try to get as many answers as we can. Coming up next with Ari Alexander from KPRC two. He joins us right here on Space City Saturday.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Space City Saturday. On Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 8: Ninety seven ninety Space City Saturday, Dan Matthews here with you and until noon college football games about to get going, and our next guest gonna have his eyes on what's happening in college station.
Speaker 4: Because he's a Miszoo man. He's from KPRC too. You see him on your TV. He is Ari alec Xander. Not gonna talk Tigers and Aggie's with you today. Ari, A lot of Astros to be discussed here, but I gotta believe as soon as you get off the phone with me, than the final preparation to be able to be in front of that TV from now until about two two thirty is gonna be in full effect.
Speaker 9: Right, Yeah, it's gonna be interesting to see what how for real are the Missoo Tigers? How for real is Texas A and M? And this is a good matchup between these two teams. And you know in Miszoom moved to the SEC with Texas A and M when I was a senior in college. Right, it's not just Kyle Field that they've had to get ready for for that atmosphere, man, it's all over the SEC.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt about it. So it'll be a fun one to watch. All right, let's talk some baseball. You were in the clubhouse with me on Wednesday, when you know, we saw the hugs, we saw the hand and shakes, everything that happens at the end of a season. Usually we're used to that happening in late October early November, and in some cases the ultimate champagne celebration, but not the case this year with the shows, so a little bit of a different tenor this year. And obviously the theme was Alex Brugman. What happens is the last time we see his name plate over his locker with the number two next to it.
Speaker 2: Just I mean, we'll start there.
Speaker 4: What did you think in terms of not only what Jose Al Tuve said, but every single player that we spoke with there inside the clubhouse after that loss.
Speaker 9: Well, none of it's surprising. I mean, you know, I've been here for five and a half years. Bregman has been in the Astros organization for you know, nine years now and been a key cornerstone of an organization that has gone to seven straight out. So, yes, is he is beloved in this city. And I think as much as fans love him for what he does on the field and off the field, his teammates love him more because they get to see the competitive fire every day. You know, I've done some events and stuff with Alex and then got to know him a little bit, and I think the way best way to describe him, can I say this in a good way. He's insane. He's insane about baseball. He has just an unreal passion for baseball, for the little mechanical tweaks that he has to do to get better. Because of the competitive fire he has. I've never seen a player more into details than he is in any sport, and I think Justin Verlander said something along those lines that he's never seen a guy that works as hard as bregmant and I think that's true, that there's no one more interested in the minutia of getting better at baseball because he loves it so much than Alex Bregman. And then that all also goes with his teammates in the clubhouse, because not only does he try to get better for himself, he makes all these subjections, he does all this extra work. I had an Astros pitcher tell me that Bregman does his own reports on other team's hitters. Right, Like Bregman's job is to hit, his job is not to do reports on other team's hitters, but he does. He does reports on other team's hitters, and he'll share them with pictures. That's also what a catcher does, right. Everyone talked about how how incredible was that Martimo Moldonado did his own reports on hitters on top of what the Astros give pictures for scouting reports. Bregman does the same thing. He's not even a catcher, he's not a pitcher. He's just doing it because he's interested in it. And so I think that's kind of the type of guy he is. That he was one of the guys that made the main suggestion to Hunter Brown to go to the Sinker. Then Hunter Brown turned into an all star level pitcher.
Speaker 10: He's just one of these guys.
Speaker 9: That loves bass and just the competitive fire more than anything. I think it would be really, really bad to lose him. I understand why the Astros maybe wouldn't go to an absurd giant money deal like he deserves. But you heard what Osel Tube said and the way he said it, which is very out of character for a very quiet guy in Al Tube.
Speaker 10: And there's a reason for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you know it all started back when he was at LSU too, I mean where they gave him his own key cards so he could get into the batting cage after hours so the equipment guy didn't have to come up there and let him back in. So again to the point you just brought up there, Ari, I think most fans knew that. But a workhorse, no doubt about it, is Alex Bregman. You could follow Ari Alexander on Twitter at Ari Alexander. The L in Alexander though is a number one, so that is how you know it is him. Plus he's verified, so you know it's him as well. But Ari, I mean, you know, along those same lines in terms of what Bregman's looking for. You talk with representatives out there. I mean I don't know if directly with anyone at the Boris Corp. But I mean you know, people talk people, you know, get an idea of what others clients are going to be looking for, and some people that you've talked with, I mean, what is it that Bregman wants from this? Does he want the huge payday or does he want to try to get as close to that but find a situation where he can continue playing for world championships.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So, I mean as of right now, there's really no information out there about specifically what Alex Bregman wants, but I can sort of talk to the comp of what, you know, what he could get based on similar players and in terms of age and just kind of like the production. So most agents are going to tell their players, especially when they're thirty like Alex Bregman is and going into the free agency where they can get their one big contract, is to get that one big, big, long contract. So most agents, Scott Boris included, will be advising Alex Bregman to ask for an eight nine year deal seven eight nine year deal, and the average value of that deal is probably going to be similar to what Alex Bregman is already making. He made thirty one million this season for the Astros.
Speaker 10: His deal was five years, one hundred million.
Speaker 2: Is the deal.
Speaker 9: He's coming off the extension he signed with the Astros and it escalated up and so this year was in that twenty nine to thirty one million. So that's what we're looking at, roughly thirty million a year. And if you're going to treat Bregman the way that most players when they hit their one big free agent year at age, you know, twenty nine to thirty, that's.
Speaker 10: We're looking at about eight years.
Speaker 9: So eight years, two hundred and forty million, I think would be a decent guess. Seven years, two hundred and ten million, I think would be a decent guess. And a big number that we're working off of is what Matt Chapman got.
Speaker 10: They have the same magent and Scott Boris.
Speaker 9: Chapman got a six year, one hundred and fifty one million dollar extension. Chapman is a slightly better defender than Bregman, but I mean, we know Alex is no slouch. He's a gold glove caliber's third baseman, and one of the reasons he hasn't gotten that gold glove is because he's had to deal with Matt Chapman being the American League. But I don't think he's very far behind Chapman. Defensively, Alex is excellent on defense. As a hitter, Bregman is a much better hitter than Matt Chapman, and I think that would drive his value up past that six one fifty one. So I think you're looking at six one fifty one as a starting point and you're going higher than that, maybe one or two years, and definitely financially going higher. So if I had to guess, a reasonable ask for Alex Bregman is about seven years, two hundred and ten million dollars.
Speaker 4: And in your mind, I mean, if the Astros do meet him at that and do bring him back for the numbers that you just threw out right there, I mean, does that necessarily hamstring them from let's call it what it is ari. I mean they need to find to first baseman. I don't know if that's through trade. I don't know if that option is out there via free agency. It's not in this organization. I think we can agree on that, and also too, I mean, you like what Jake Myers did out in center field, you don't like what he did at the plate for you this year. So I got to believe that's another area that this team needs to upgrade, right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean center field in first base.
Speaker 9: If Kat McCormick can get back to twenty twenty three Chas McCormick.
Speaker 10: Then you're fixed.
Speaker 9: But that's obviously not a guarantee. He had a tough year at the plate this year. He's focused Steve Sparks the other day, and his theory on it was that Chaz was sort of trying to pull the ball a little bit and it messed with its swing mechanically because he's a guy that natural tendency is to go the other way. And then when he sort of was something and realized, all right, maybe let me just get back to my normal going the other way type of swing mechanics, it just took him a while to get there. And then you obviously have to add the human element of it, where you're trying to make swing changes, you're outing a rough season, you're playing inconsistently, and it becomes a factor then he got hurt, broke the finger was out for a little bit, and actually I'd better at bats toward the end of the year. But by that point, like the numbers are going to look ugly, and so you know, it doesn't look good. I think that right now, it's it wouldn't be smart to trade Chaz because his value is at his lowest and we've seen what the ceiling sort of looks like for that type of player, and he's a good player, and we know that he can play well defensively. For Jake Myers, I just don't think that Myers has really ever proven that he can hit at a consistent level.
Speaker 10: He started so hot this.
Speaker 9: Year, and I think most people Astros fans, in the front office and everyone was hoping that, all right, maybe he's turned that corner and this is what we're getting, this plus offensive player. We know he's plus plus on defense, we know the arm is not the best, and so I think if there is someone that you're going to trade that has some value right now, it is Jake Myers.
Speaker 10: So there was rumors.
Speaker 9: Last off season that maybe he was could be shopped or teams were checking in on him. I did not hear anything of that sort myself. But I can see where his value lies on a team that has a deep lineup that can use a defense only sort of player because he's really really good on defense. I do think that that's sort of become the norm and center fields around all of baseball. There just aren't a lot of guys like I remember, you know, we were growing up in an arrow where center field was like Andrew Jones, where it was like this guy's awesome on defense, and this guy crushes at the plate, and there's.
Speaker 10: All these guys that could hit.
Speaker 9: And now it feels like center field has become a lot of guys that are really good on defense and no hitters. And so I think that the Asters can get away with having a defense only type of player there, but it would be nice to see them get someone who's a little bit more flexible on both sides of the ball. So I think, yeah, you can upgrade from Jake Myers. I'm not sure what that looks like. Maybe it's Jacob Melton. Joey Lo Brafito obviously played a lot of center field in Triple A before he was traded, so I think that they had some internal options and from the outfield to Brown, and previous regimes have done a good job of drafting outfielders who are good on defense, and then obviously you got to work on the bat and then at first base. Right now, it feels like we're looking at Zach Dezenzo and we're looking at John Singleton and hoping that that can get the Astros through. And Dana Brown's comments about how they won a World Series with Juli Uriel having a down year in twenty twenty two that didn't hamper them, does not lead me to believe that they're going to be in the market for Pete Alonzo. We're going to be in the market for Christian Walker or Paul Goldschmidt is someone who made sense. But if you're the Astros whose last deal with a first baseman was getting an ex MVP old guy who's on the back end of his career and it went horribly, getting Paul Goldschmidt, who is an x MVP on the back end of his career is not going to look good to the fan base, even if it comes on, you know, on a cheaper deal.
Speaker 10: So I think that they're in a pretty tight spot.
Speaker 9: Where you're either going to have to pay way up for Pete Alonzo or Walker, or you might have to just go with what you got or try to, you know, scrounge up something.
Speaker 10: I think that if.
Speaker 2: You're spending the money that you.
Speaker 9: Have left to go into the salary into the tax that get it. Resigning Alex Fragman and resigning Usaka Kuchi or one of the two, I think is more important than first base because it just right now, it does not look like this this is a good market for them, because you're either shopping at the very top of the market or you're shopping at the bottom.
Speaker 10: And there's no real in between options.
Speaker 4: You've got about a minute left with Ari Alexander again. You can find them on tv kPr C two. Find him on Twitter at Ari Alexander. The L in Alexander is a number one, so that is where you can find him. The final one is kind of a two parter here, Ari number one. I don't think Astros fans were too happy to hear that Ryan Presley will be part of the the the roster in twenty twenty five, but along with that as well Dana Brown mentioning possibly looking into adding it to the high leverage guys there at the end.
Speaker 2: I mean, is that kind of signal to you. Probably as we.
Speaker 4: Come out of spring training next year, we see Brian abrayhu is the eighth inning guy, and Ryan Presley as hey, maybe the seventh inning, or you might be even a middle relief.
Speaker 2: Guy for this team.
Speaker 9: Now, yeah, I mean it's they had to do it with Raphael Montero. Raffael Montaro is still back next year, by the way, with that eleven million on the books from Montero, and they had to keep moving him down and leverage until they had to get to the point where they had to get rid of you know, get rid of him. There's a name for assignment still not released. He's still with the team and he's going to try to work his way back. But I wouldn't imagine that drastic of a case is going to happen with Ryan Presley. But you know that's something could happen in terms of demotion. You're already paying the guy. You're trying to get the most out out of him that you can. And if Brian Abray is more effective, I think they gave him. The Astros have done right by Ryan Presley other than you maybe given his closer role to Josh Hader.
Speaker 10: They gave him the whole.
Speaker 9: Season to work his way into a form that they believe that he can be as an eighth inning guy, which he was for the Astros previously and was really really good, and they gave him up until the final game of the year. And I think now, given the last result that we saw was him giving up a game tying run, I don't think that they owe him the eighth inning right now. And it's whoever the best coming out of spring training, and maybe he starts in the eighth inning role, but if we get two three weeks into the season and Brian Obray.
Speaker 10: Who is out pitching him, I don't think the.
Speaker 9: Astros necessarily owe it to Ryan Presley to keep.
Speaker 2: Him in that role the way that maybe they did this year.
Speaker 4: Gonna be an exciting offseason, no doubt about it. And if you want to keep up with what is happening with the Astros this offseason, for my money, I don't think there is a better follow on Twitter than this man. And you also see him on TV on KPRC two. He's Ari Alexander. All Right, appreciate the time, buddy, We'll catch up soon, all right. Thanks Dan, Thanks buddy. Yeah, I mean, you know, when it comes to Ryan Presley, I mean I talked about it the other night with Ross for my Money. You know, you come out of spring training next year. I understand there was a lot made about going to get Josh Hater and the demotion at the time for.
Speaker 2: Ryan Presley, But the fact of the matter.
Speaker 4: Is, I've said it, the setup man needs to be an extension of your closer.
Speaker 2: Neither of them were really that good this season.
Speaker 4: I get that, But also though, too, you've got to have stability in those two spots, and I think that Hater will probably have to work on some adjustments with that slider this offseason.
Speaker 2: We heard Dana Brown say it the other day, but.
Speaker 4: Also too as well, that you need to be able to have as close to a lockdown option there in the eighth inning as possible. And I feel like the closest of those options is already here. Brian a Bray, You from my money, Brian Abray, You's your eighth inning setup man next year. And where Ryan Presley fits in after that, I don't know, but you know, I understand that some people might wonder, oh, was he kind of bummed with the demotion now of the closers role this year.
Speaker 2: Look, you got to get out of that.
Speaker 4: You've got to get past that if that's the case, and you've got to go out there and get out and for the better part of the season.
Speaker 2: This year, Ryan Presley did not do that.
Speaker 4: So that is another reason why the Astros find themselves in the situation they are in right now.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 4: We talked a lot about Dana Brown in that conversation with Ari Alexander coming out next. I've talked about the trends of what to look for in regards to the Astros GM in the past. When he says certain things like he did on Thursday, I'd say, we need to believe him. We'll talk about that as we close out the ten o'clock hour here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you on your home with the Astros and the Rockets at Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: This is Space City Saturday. I'm Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 10: Oh.
Speaker 4: This is no probably just get slipped off while they're later tracks. They had got cold when this came out when I graduated high school twenty years ago. It's crazy anyway, Space City Saturday, Dan Matthews here with you on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talk seven to ninety In terms of you know, the Stros obviously Game one Alds today, which is supposed to be the series they were going to be in up in Cleveland, but instead we're watching an old friend, aj Hinch. The American League postseason, by the way, littered it with former Astros. So if you are inclined to still pay attention to what's happening in the postseason, I mean, for me, honestly, it's going to be if it's on where I'm at, I'll peek up at it. But to say that I'm going to be following closely, I don't think I will be. I mean, baseball is very much a who do you care about? Necessarily? I mean, I understand, you know, and I've got MLB dot TV. I'll watch games, you know, the Dodgers, Padres, whoever it is, you know, during the season, just if you know it's one of those I'm going to bed and watching and you know, just want to see good baseball being played.
Speaker 2: That's pretty much it.
Speaker 4: But to say that I'm going to be paying close attention, no, I will not. But I mean, we do have some pretty good matchups. I mean, you know, I think all four of them are compelling. I mean the National League side is I think must see TV in certain cases. I mean, Dodgers and Padres. That's gonna be fun to watch. Also too, you want to talk about another matchup of fan bases that hate each other, our good buddy Ari Alexander, big Mets guy, the Mets and Phillies taking.
Speaker 2: On each other.
Speaker 4: Kind of that Interstate ninety five rivalry right there. I guess, if you will, is that the interstate that runs between New York and Philly.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Somebody out there can probably tell me, but anyway, it's going to be exciting to pay attention to on that side as well, and of course the Yankees and Royals on the American League side.
Speaker 2: Go Yuli Guriel. I love that.
Speaker 4: I saw it on Twitter the other day, and for attribution purposes, I apologize for not remembering who threw this out there, but they said, you know, Yuli Guriel has a chance to do the funniest thing possible, and he's not wrong or she whoever threw that out there, they are not wrong in terms of what Yulie could do. He continued to be an Astros legend at that point. Dana Brown and what we can expect from him this off season. We had a chance to catch up with he and Joe Aspada after the season came to an end and they met with us on Thursday. One of the things that Dana Brown talked about was off season priorities and what to expect from this team as he and his staff go to work trying to build up the roster for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 11: Well, first of all, you know, one of the things we want to make sure we do is get back deep into the postseason. I mean, that's going to be our vision, that's going to be our focus. And we're not taking anything off the table in terms of what we would do, whether it's making trades or you know, signing a free agent, we're not taking anything off the table. So, but the main focus would be to get back to the postseason again and to go as deep as we can go and get back to the World Series.
Speaker 4: There you go, nothing off the table, according to Dana Brown, and I believe him when it comes to that, because I've talked about this before with the Astros GM that it was going to be interesting to see how he handled his business, and I think that he's handled it pretty much the same way that his boss in Atlanta did. Remember I talked about it in the past, and if you don't, I'll try to lay it out as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: But Alex Anthopolis was.
Speaker 4: A guy that is the GM of the Braves, and he does his business in a very particular way. Number One, I remember when he was hired, he told us not an arrogance and annoying and you know, obnoxious way like the former Texans head coach did of trying to tell the media how things were going to be when he took over. Yeah, first off, Bill, win ball games and actually set a culture of winning before you gravy train off where you just came from and expect people to believe that that's just going to translate here. Because you were part of the same staff as Bill Belichick, you learned pretty quickly that's not the case. But regardless, you know, he just kind of said, hey, look, you know, I'll give you my number. You can text me whenever you want, you can do whatever. I'm just telling you right now, I don't do rumors. If you ask me about a rumor, I'm just not going to comment on it, and sure enough he didn't. And if nothing else too, if you ever did text him about certain things, he would, you know, say, for example, hey, you know, rumors are that you guys are in on show heyo Tani, Yeah, he'd look pretty good in the Braves uniform something jokingly like that. I mean, you know, nothing too serious, but I mean he just, you know, more often and it's not more often than not, he would never delve into that. And I think Dana Brown is kind of a similar type of guy that he's going to keep it a pretty tight circle in terms of how they're going to build up this roster. But another thing is too is the way that they handled free agents. Free Agents for the most part that were not part of their organization already were signed two short term deals, even guys that were brought back. I mean, Charlie Morton kind of in the same you know, mold as you say Kakuchi is with the Astros, I think if you say Kakuchi is back with the Astros next year and beyond, it's probably looking like a two year deal with a third for an option if he can get something better.
Speaker 2: Out elsewhere.
Speaker 4: I don't think the Astros will be too torn up to let him pursue that option. But also though too, I mean, you heard him the other day talk about how he really has enjoyed his time here, the brief time that he was here, and he'd like to come back because some of the adjustments that they made for him have probably helped him become a even more effective pitcher going forward. So you know, I think that's something to keep an eye on. But that's probably the mold that you're going to be looking for trades. You heard him mention the possibility of trades. Alexanthopolis loved trades. As a matter of fact, most of his moves were not on the free agents side, they were on the trade side. And what does Dana Brown have to trade? Well, Number one, with some of the guys we saw come up and pitch this year for this team, he's got a little bit more pitching depth than they had probably coming into last season.
Speaker 2: So that's one.
Speaker 4: Two, what can happen with does somebody out there covert Jake Myers? Does somebody out there say, hey, we can improve Jake Myers as a hitter here? We already know what he is defensively, let's go that route, or even some of the guys down in the minor leagues. Does the Shay Whitcomb interest? Somebody out there does Zach Desenzo interest, somebody out there. All those different types of things we'll have to pick up and carry over to the other side. James and Kline, I see you right there as well as Al on the west side. Get to all of y'all on the other side as well. You want to join them, we'll continue the astros conversation. That's someone three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's someone three two one two five seven ninety. As we continue to roll along here on Space City Saturday.
Speaker 1: Welcome aboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dad Matthews Live and local h Town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here. We love you all.
Speaker 3: So finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: Flute up the cooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start now bear me in the eight.
Speaker 3: This is Space City Saturday. That's insane. Here's seven nineties Dad Matthews.
Speaker 4: And it's a good time to start right now because college football, the eleven o'clock hour games have kicked off or about to kick off. I think here in about a minute or two, they're gonna go in there in college station between MISSOO and Texas A and m NO Texas this week the Longhorns off as next week of course red River they're in DFW there at the Cotton Bowl, so we'll be paying close attention to that as well as the UH Cougars.
Speaker 2: Last night, nice win.
Speaker 4: On my way home from dinner, shout it out to Kevin Ashenfelder and Ted party over there on KPRC nine to fifty, our sister station as part of us here at iHeartRadio Houston doing a great job on the call, and made a joke with them on a text. I said, you know, hey, you know, you guys are sounding great. I guess it helps to have good actual offense on the field, right, doesn't that help a little bit?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 4: Xeon Chris last night's a great option for Willie Fritz's team as they went up there and beat a three and two TCU team and really kind of controlled the game all the way through. But able to win for the first time there since nineteen eighty nine. So great win for Willy Fritz and the staff there at u of H first Big twelve win of the Willy Fritz era. So I think, if nothing else, it kind of showed you that the future is bright over there. He is a heck of a coach, and that looked like a much improved football team in that game.
Speaker 2: And you know, their.
Speaker 4: Defense has been pretty salty all season long. I think that's been kind of the most consistent part of that UH team. But we'll see how it all goes going forward. So not a ton of college football on today's show, much more than just a mention. A lot of astros conversation is part of the discussion. Was talking about Dana Brown in the last segment. A couple more things on that. But James and Klein wants away in here on Space City Saturday.
Speaker 2: James, what's going on?
Speaker 12: Yeah, this Hayward and Gamble. I know they had him for the rest of the season. They do they have him for the following season. I mean, they're gonna be back next year.
Speaker 4: I don't know their contract situations, but as far as I believe, I think they are both free agents. But now that you mentioned that, I will look that up. I mean, I'm assuming you probably were huge fans of what they added to this roster this year.
Speaker 12: Well about Gamble, he brought spark as far as hitting, and Hayward as well.
Speaker 13: I mean, he had some power and he doesn't strike out a whole lot.
Speaker 12: So I kind of like both the guys, and you know, I'm just wondering if they're glad to just spring training or they're just okay, thanks guys, well you know, good luck.
Speaker 13: How they're going to handle that situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think right now, you know, as we talked about, I mean, in terms of the overall, you know, priorities for the Astros this offseason, I mean, I think we know who number one is, James. It's to try to bring back Alex Bregman, and they are going to try everything they can to be able to make sure that happens. Both players, as I'm talking with you right now, both free agents, but both players who I know for a fact really enjoyed their time here with the Astros.
Speaker 2: Hayward really did. Gamble did as well.
Speaker 4: Obviously, his season came to a premature end with him running into the wall there in Anaheim. But I mean I think there are probably players they will keep an eye on, and if the situation is right for them, for either one or both of them to come back, then yeah, I'm sure that Dana Brown will entertain doing that, either as you said, as a spring training invite or even just you know, straight up as a major league signee and you're part of the roster, You're you're going to be breaking camp with us, and you're part of this team.
Speaker 13: All right, Well, thank you. That's all. I just thought maybe had some more insight on that, But that was good.
Speaker 2: Thank you, awesome, Thank you so much. Appreciate the call.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, look, you know I talked about it with Jason Hayward of I mean, you heard how glowingly players talked about him, you know, Mauricio Dumont in the clubhouse after that game, you know, talking about you know, growing up in Non Duras and watching him, you know, in his major league debut and just following his career all the way through and getting to share a clubhouse with him, and you know, just you know how guys talked about really sort of a leadership role that he stepped into.
Speaker 2: Immediately.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're talking about someone who again has been a pros pro ever since day one as a major leaguer, and he came up as a young twenty year old kid. They're in the early twenty tens with the Atlanta Braves alongside Freddie Freeman, and they were part of kind of the rejuvenation of that organization. I mean, remember that was an organization that had won fourteen straight in l E's titles and had kind of hit a little bit of a snag and made the postseason here and there. But those were supposed to be the guys who kind of carry the torch from Chipper Jones and the crew and be able to put them in position to, you know, get into the postseason, get deep into the postseason for some time. And as he's gotten older, i mean he's become a family man. He has, you know, had his priorities change in that regard, but he's always been a pros pro when it comes down to how he handles himself. He was a popular guy in the clubhouse there with the Cubs. Remember when the Cubs won the World Series in twenty sixteen, Jason Hayward as they were going through that rain delay there in Cleveland was the guy that got up and spoke to the team about stay focused, be ready to go. This is ours to win, and we can go out there and make it happen. And he helped make it happen because the Cubs were able to win the World Series that year. And then he went out to LA played with the Dodgers. Same deal, I mean kind of you know, I think in certain ways, like when Tony Kemp was DF eight here with the Astros that you know, it was the same kind of feeling there in the clubhouse there in La of wait this guy. I mean, we love this guy, we want to have this guy around, and the Dodgers felt like it was time for him to move on, and so he did and he found a home here with the Astros. So I would be probably shocked, Jeames, if both of them are back, but I would not be shocked if either one of them are back. And again, I mean, you know where Hayward is in his career at this point. He is now let me see how old Jason Hayward is. He is thirty five and will turn thirty six next August. So he's on the later stages of his career. I mean, I think if you offer him a decent enough deal for a year, maybe an option for a second, then yeah, you could possibly have him back. And that provides you some outfield depth. I mean, you saw what he could do out in left field, you saw what he could do out in right field. And again, I mean a veteran presence in that clubhouse. And we talked about this the other day with Chandler Rome that if you lose Alex Bregman, that's gonna be something you're going to be looking to try to replace. Is somebody that is a good veteran leader in that room. And one of the guys that he mentioned too over at first base was a possibility of you don't bring back Bregman, that money can be spent elsewhere. A guy like Anthony Rizzo and what he means to teams in terms of, you know, how he handles himself. He puts together good at bats. The average is a little down. I get that he gives you good defense over there at first base, but he's sood that would be widely respected in that clubhouse. I mean, if that's somebody, that's a possibility also to another name. Again, the average down but the power way up forty plus home runs this year. Anthony Santander, who is a fellow countryman with Jose Altuve, and as Chandler Roma pointed out, very close with Jose Altuve. So that's somebody else that could be a possibility to be looked at as offseason moves. So the chances are a plenty out there for the Astros to be able to add and you know, just to kind of build off of what I was talking about with Dana Brown in terms of, you know, what to look for in terms of building this roster going forward. I mean, you know, he obviously is trying to find good players that can come in here and sure up this this lineup, because this is an offense that is going to need to improve in twenty twenty five if this team is going to have a chance to not only win the American League West again, but you have to suspect that the Mariners are going to make moves. You have to suspect that the Rangers are going to try to be in position to be able to get back into the postseason next year after missing out this year, coming off the World Series last year. I mean, I don't think there's any doubt about it, And I know that some people were pretty annoyed with me responding to a Rangers fan that shouted out the Astros saying, hey, look, you know I don't like you guys, but respect for what you just accomplished. I said, hey, look, you know this is a team that's incredibly talented there in Arlington. They'll be back in the fold next year. I don't have any doubts about that. So that's somebody else to concern yourself with as well. And you know that's that's something that the Astros have been, you know, looking at. But if it comes to trades for a possibility for Dana Brown this offseason, I think you need to look at who is available. And I understand that the farm system is not what it used to be, but let's also to keep an eye on some of the trades that Dana Brown has already made. The most recent one I'll use for an example, who was traded away. You know, you traded away Will Wagner for Yusa Ka Kouchi, along with Joey lo Berfido and also with Jake Bloss. But we'll start with Wagner first, pretty blocked wherever he was going to try to play anywhere on the field. Second base, we know that that's that place was blocked. Third base, likely blocked at least in the immediate with Alex Bregman, and still likely blocked in the future because I don't think that you wanted to go with him.
Speaker 2: As your everyday third baseman.
Speaker 4: That's number one, Jake bloss Where does he fit in in terms of the pitching rotation. You've still got Luis Garcia coming back sometime this next season, You're gonna have Christian Javier, You're gonna have Jose Orkeaty coming back. Lance McCullers, what becomes of him going forward? Does he make a move to the bullpen. I know that that's something he doesn't like to talk about or even have brought up to him, but I think it's something at this stage because when it comes to McCullers, I think if you're expecting Lance McCullers to be what he's been in the past, I really think you're gonna be disappointed. He's been almost away for the last two years, being away for you know, two times three sixty five however many days that is, that is a really long time to come back and still be as effective as you were in the past. I think that you're probably going to be looking at a guy that's going to be playing a lot of catch up next year in terms of trying to get back to being that pitcher again. And that's why I think a bullpen option could be a good one for him, or even a spot start here and there.
Speaker 2: But let's call it what it is.
Speaker 4: What has he not proven during his career that he can stay healthy as a starter. What is a chance for him to be able to add longevity to his career? The bullpen as a possibility for him. So I think that you know, you look at players, and you know any of the guys that could possibly be traded. As I mention the three for you say Kakuchi, that kind of to me signaled from Dana Brown of can we lose these guys and continue sustaining what we've done so far to this point, And the answer was yes, because do you necessarily have long term goals and aspirations for those guys. I think the answer to that was no. And that's why you saw those guys going to Toronto and you saw you, say, Kakuchi coming back here.
Speaker 2: So any of the trades made this offseason.
Speaker 4: I think that's going to be something that you look at of do the Astros have long term plans for Shay Whitcomb, DoD they have long term plans for Zach Desnzo, even for some of the other guys. I mean, you know, there were possibilities. I mean some people thought that Bryce Matthews was going to be gone for Yandy Diaz. I mean, that's something to keep an eye on. Even though that you heard Dana Brown mentioned Matthews by name the other day, is somebody that they have an eye on. And also Jacob Melton as well, So it doesn't sound like those guys will be available on the trade market. But that usually kind of in the same mold of his boss that he had in Atlanta. That's kind of the way that they did business. And it'll be interesting to see if Dana carries that over here to Houston as well. All right, coming up next, we'll continue the Astros conversation. I see some of you want to weigh in on the phone lines. I see Dave, I see Bill right there. If you want to join them there on the phone lines, you can do so. Sebon one three, two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's seb one three two one two five, seven ninety. Because the final thing we'll talk about with the Astros is this was once a weakness, but it soon became a strength.
Speaker 2: How strong is it for the Astros.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about that on the other side as we continue to roll along here on Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you on your home with the Astros and the Rockets.
Speaker 1: Space City Saturday continues Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: Sports Talk seven ninety, Man Matthews here with you. We're gonna do a little bit of Texans in the next segment as we had a chance to catch up with Jeremy White of Joe and Jeremy in the mornings. They're up in Buffalo on the Bill's flagship station, WGR, so we will get into some of that conversation. He was on with us on the A team yesterday. So good stuff, especially on the Bills. How they stack up right now coming in. I mean Von Miller suspended, he won't play. Do you have some other injuries to on that Bill's team. We're uage product at Oliver not going to be playing in this one. He's out with injury as well as they are dealing it with some injury issues there, but also too, I mean, something we've talked about all off season here, and you know, as you pay attention to the press conferences this week up there in Buffalo, you still see Josh Allen being asked about his relationship with Stefan Diggs, and he was not very shy in terms of saying there is no issue there. We're all good, so you know, stop trying to kind of make this a thing. So that is something that continues to be talked about, and I'm sure tomorrow all the cameras will be Josh Allen comes out for his warm ups, you know, Steffan Diggs comes out for his warm ups. Do they acknowledge each other, do they talk to each other for a few minutes, all those different types of things. I'm sure that's all going to be part of it. But that's just the way it goes. We're all looking for storylines all the time, right, so probably going to be the case. So, yeah, we had a good conversation with Jeremy White. We will hear that here coming up in the bottom of this hour.
Speaker 2: But one final one on the astros.
Speaker 4: If you want to weigh in you can do so Semon one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's Sebon one three two one two five seven ninety. I want to take us all back to last February and it was me and Ross in West Palm Beach for spring training and I joined the Shawn Salisbury Show and one of the questions that saw you know, Sean had asked me at the time was what you perceive to be a weakness for this team right now? And at the time, we pretty much knew that Justin Verlander was not gonna be ready to go for the season. Same deal with Lance Pacolor, same deal with uh with Luis Garcia. We didn't know at the time that you were going to have injuries pop up for both Jose Archidi and Christian Hobber. But the starting rotation was a little bit of a question mark, and for much of the beginning part of the season it.
Speaker 2: Remained that way because I've said at.
Speaker 4: Numerous times you didn't, in an ideal world want to have to use Spencer Arraghetti this year, but you ended up having to use him because you just had really nobody else to go with in the starting rotation. You had some inconsistent performances at the beginning of the year from Fromber Valdez, but then Fromber got back to being twenty twenty two Fromber all over again, and you're like, Okay, here's that guy again.
Speaker 2: We like that guy.
Speaker 4: We love hashtag good Fromber. That's great to see early on in the season. We talked about a little bit earlier with Ari Alexander and how much Alex Bregman helped him. But Hunter Brown probably if you could go back the Doc Brown DeLorean and go to the clubhouse there in Kansas City after that start where he couldn't even get out of the first inning and tell him, hey, let me show you what you're gonna look like in June and July and August for this team this year, and what he looked like in that start the other night. I mean, Hunter Brown was outstanding in that start against the Tigers, and if he got any type of capable offense whatsoever in that game, then we're talking about it going to a winner take all game three there for a chance to move on to the Alds. And with you being at home, I understand what it's been for the Astros on the home field, which I mean, the haters have kind of let you know what the Astros record has been in the postseason at Minute Made Park for the last couple of years, especially most recently. But it was a chance for you to be able to win that game, and Hunter Brown was a huge reason for you being in that position. And we'll see what happens with Usay Kakuchi. But I say all of that to say that the Astros are in position now to have a ton of options at their avail when they go to spring training next year.
Speaker 2: And I mean I almost think that you're going to be.
Speaker 4: Looking at spring training starters plural during that time of about rolling seven or eight deep at that point, and maybe even more than that, maybe even nine or ten in terms of trying to whittle that down and see who fits.
Speaker 2: And also too as.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean I talked about it with trades as a possibility. I mean, does Dana Brown feel comfortable packaging a couple of those guys to be able to go out and get somebody that can be a meaningful bat for this team. I mean we talked about it again the other day. I can't tell you enough to go listen to the conversation we have with Chandler Rome on the iHeartRadio app on the eighteen page to go find that in studio visit that we had with Chandler.
Speaker 2: But some of the stuff he brought up was outstanding.
Speaker 4: And one of the things he did bring up is, look, we're trying to figure out what's going to be the future of Alex Bregman here in an Astro's uniform, and the Saint Louis Cardinals are one of the teams out there that are entering into a full rebuild. One of the guys that could be available that would probably be the same amount of money that you'd be looking to pay Alex Bregman. He's taking a step back a little bit offensively, but you also don't lose anything defensively over at third base. And Nolan Aeronato, he's thirty three now, and I understand, you know, people's thoughts about aging players, but you know that's somebody out there that maybe Dana Brown, could you package a couple of those pitchers, and you know one of your higher end prospects or even position player is a Chas McCormick, somebody that would fit into the plans of what the Cardinals are looking for. Or even you know, a Jake Myers fit into that as well. Along with a couple of those guys, be enough to be able to get Nolan Aeronato.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I.
Speaker 4: Think that that's something that this team will be looking at. I think that priority number one again, could you bring back Alex Bregman. And if you can do that, then I think that other chances to be able to upgrade this roster are going to be done either through hey, let's give this guy a shot as a you know, a spring training invite, or even to as well. More than anything, I think a couple of those ways that you're able to bring in players is going to be through trade. And I think that if I had to predict what is going to be a theme of this Astros twenty twenty four into twenty twenty five offseason, It's going to be trades of plenty.
Speaker 2: I think Dana Brown's gonna be wheeling a dealing.
Speaker 4: I think that's what he is going to be looking to do in term of improving it not only the lineup, but also too. He did not seem like he was opposed to improving the back end of the rotation. Do you go a veteran guy there in the back end of the rotation as a four or five starter for you, or even too as well to help out in the bullpen as well. I mean, you know, we talked about it with Ari Alexander that I think next year your setup man is Brian A bray You. In my mind, I think that he has the stuff to be the setup man for you, and I also think that he's a more effective pitcher at this point in his career than Ryan Presley is. I would feel a lot better heading into Josh Hater with Brian A bray You than I would Ryan Presley, and I think we saw that play out a lot this season. So all of those options again on the table. I mean, you heard Dana Brown say it's in that segment. You know, nothing is off the table at this point for the Astros in terms of trying to get back deeper into the postseason next season and beyond. All right, let's look into some Texans talk. Jeremy White from WGR in Buffalo joined us yesterday on the A Team We Come Back. I want to give you a chance to hear from him as we continue along here in the eleven o'clock hour, on your home of the Astros and the Rockets on Dan Matthews, this is Space City Saturday.
Speaker 1: It's Space City Saturday, one Sports Talk seven night here.
Speaker 4: Sort of a fitting song, Melvin, But also though too, it's early on in the NFL season, so the Texans in this case have more than one shot, but they got one shot tomorrow, So Eminem is correct about that. Melvin Brown, by the way behind the glass there in our uptown at Galleria Studios.
Speaker 2: The Texans taking on the.
Speaker 4: Bills tomorrow over there at NRG Stadium should be a fun atmosphere for this one. The Texans like the Bills a little banged up, still know Joe Mixon for this one. Gonna be interesting to see what Damian Pierce. It probably sounds like he's not going to be going another week, So it looks like Cam Akers and Daria Goomba Walle going to be your running backs tomorrow for that one. And the Texans also to dealing with some injury issues elsewhere. We'll see what happens with Titus Howard if he's able to give it a go tomorrow or if Blake Fisher is playing at right tackle. So that is all on the Texans side. As for the Bill side, yesterday on the A team, we had a chance to catch up with Jeremy White, part of Jeremy or Joe and Jeremy, the Joe and Jeremy Morning Show there on WGR in Buffalo, and they are the Bill's flagship station. As we had a chance to catch up with him about the Bill side of tomorrow's matchup.
Speaker 14: Jeremy White from radio there in Buffalo, the same thing we brought up as the show began. Even though it sounds silly, they've been to the postseason so many times it sounds less silly. But yeah, this is a tiebreaker game, five games into the season, and there's a quarterback matchup that I think the rest of the country should be interested in.
Speaker 15: Between C. J.
Speaker 14: Stroud and Josh Allen different stages of their careers, certainly the two most likely probably three along with Lamar Jackson. If somebody's going to upend the Chiefs and Mahomes, it's going to be one of these three guys in the AFC, if they can prevent them from again dominating here. I was looking back at Josh Allen's career. He's gone four straight games to open this season without an interception. He's only gone four straight games without an interception one other time in his career, and that was all the way back in twenty nineteen. What is it about this year's team, this full season? I assume with Joe Brady's offense that you think has had him clicking so well, well.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 6: Like the passing game for Josh Allen and these Bills is a shorter air yards passing game with more yards after catch by design. This has been like a two to three year transition from Brian Dable as the offensive coordinator a few years back. Then they go to Ken Dorsey and it seemed to want yards and there were thirty second in the NFL in the yak yards. With Ken Dorsey in a full season one they were the thirty first, and then Dorsey got a second season, got fired half way through. I kind of think it's a bit of chasing something they didn't really have to chase. But nevertheless, they are here now and now they are a yak yard team. So what's different about Alan? Why are the fewer interceptions? I think it's because the ball isn't traveling as far, so safer throws easy button throws. You know, he says zero interceptions through four games. I don't necessarily think that's the best thing. You know, he's a guy that throws down the field. He's a guy that can rip it pretty much anywhere. And to this point in his career, you know, you'll see the stats that he leads the league in interceptions since his time in the league. A lot of Bills fans kind of don't care because he's such an exciting player. He's such a good player that take a bogey birdie golf. For sure, there's some bogey, there's more birdies, and this guy is worth letting him off the leash, even he uses that phrase sometimes. So they've got him under control and that can be good. But there are going to be times that they got a lot of loose and hopefully those aren't too few and far between them.
Speaker 16: Talking to Jeremy White of w g R in Buffalo, Texans and Bills this Sunday here in Houston with a new and kickoff. All right, So the elephant in the room, I guess would be Stefan Diggs.
Speaker 15: What the elephant in our room? Right in huge right clearly did a couple I guess this is probably a two parter.
Speaker 16: Did were you amused at how much was made about Stefan Diggs being a bad locker room guy by maybe some members of the national media, or maybe you agree with that.
Speaker 15: That's the first part of the question. The second part is where.
Speaker 16: You did you think that the Bills offense would drop off when that transaction was made?
Speaker 10: And you know, are you surprised that it really hasn't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, you won't find a bigger Digs fan than me, period. Like I liked him before the Bills went and got him, and when he forced his way out of Minnesota, as it said, I was thrilled. He had great success here. He was a huge part of what they did. I am amused, among other things, I some Bills fans like to rewrite the history of his time here. He was dominant, he was amazing, He was cool. Like I said, you won't find a bigger fan. Thing got tense, and you know it pumps to find anybody to tell you really what happened. Jeremy Fowler wrote a big piece on the divorce between Digs and the Bills and quoted a bunch of team sources, and there wasn't any team source in there saying that he demanded targets. My impression at Diggs has always been he is manic about winning. He's insane about wanting to win. And when they went from AFC championship team to divisional round exit, divisional round exit, divisional round exit, he started to ask questions, why are we plateauing here? Why aren't we moving forward? And the Cincinnati game two years ago, the Bills losing the playoffs by seventeen at home to Cincinnati. That's the game that happens in the DeMar Hamlin season. So it's kind of be like the haze of post Hamlin and the team was a shell of itself, and you could say that guys weren't focused and guys really had trouble focusing, and that is a reasonable case to make. But Diggs laser focused on the sideline. Diggs is raising his arms at Alan and we don't know what said. No one ever has heard what was said. Was it get your head in the game? Was it what are we doing out here? Was it wake up? The point is I'd ever had a problem with that on any level. You know, you're in a big game and someone's upset that you're losing. That's what it's supposed to look like to me. So Digs, to me, is a guy that's always been able to go between the lines and put anything that's on the outside to the side during the hambling game. Some of those reporting on this from Tyler Dunn, who writes about the Bills at length of other NFL stuff. He reported that Digs are one of the guys that when they thought they were going to go out and have to play again, he started to move people to do it. So I've always got the impression that Digs is someone that's very good at compartmentalizing and focusing everything there can be on the field, and some players aren't good at that, and some players can't take someone that intense all the time. So, you know, the expiration date on the relationship between Digs and the Bills came. I'm not happy about it. I do think they will continue to miss him. I still think they do miss him now, or a player of his caliber. In this offense, you know, it's got it success, it's got Josh Allen. But he's a great player. He's one of the bills best players of all time. And I am not one to rewrite history. And act like I'm glad he's gone.
Speaker 15: That's an opinion.
Speaker 14: A lot of people here share all the things about he wants to win again.
Speaker 15: It's new here. He's on a one year deal here, so.
Speaker 14: Granted there's some differences, but I think a lot of people see it here in Houston similarly for about who the person is and the leader that he is and how helpful he's been. Curious from a how do you rationalize this standpoint only in that they're still running the Brady offense this year quite obviously not Tom Joe. When they made that switch last year, it was their intention and it played out to limit how much Diggs was a focus of their offense.
Speaker 15: He was a lot less of a focus.
Speaker 14: He got the ball less, they targeted less, they did other things, and they won a bunch of football games to close out the year. They won six out of seven and basically stole the division. He can still play. He's going to be a bigger part of the offense here than he was in the latest ages of their offense there. Why did that, I guess work for the Bills last year, which they're continuing this year.
Speaker 6: Part of the reason that it worked is that their defense came around. I mean, if you go look at the games that they won, they did score a bunch of points in a loss to Philadelphia, and then they got some wins late in the season. They beat the Chiefs, which was big. They beat Dallas by running the football, and that's great. I mean, everybody runs on Dallas.
Speaker 3: We've seen that, right, And then they got.
Speaker 6: To win over San Diego on a last minute kick over Ethan Stick. Like it's a little bit of rewriting that stretch of Bill's football to say Joe Brady fixed things. What happened was the Bill stopped turning the ball over and they got their defense to play healthy. Matt Milano missed most of the season last year. It took the Bills a long time to find answers at linebacker and to kind of bring things together defensively, because early in the season their losses were a loss to Denver where they had twelve men on the field for the game winning kick. That's not on Stefan Diggs. The game, they give up game winning drives to Mac Jones, not on Diggs, an overtime kick return, touchdown, turn touchdown, not on Digs. So it was one of these things where all of a sudden, the win loss, even though it's not related to one wide receiver, became a talking point. So you know, if the Bills use that as a bit of a lever to pull, that's fine. They got out from under his money. They are going to clear their cap. They're going to be sixty two million dollars clear next year, taken on the dead eat dead money. When you have Josh Allen, you kind of have that buffer. You can have a transition year and still win eleven games. So no matter what with Josh Allen, it's going to look good. Right now. At receiver, it looks eh. They've got Khalil Shakir, who's a nice player. He's broken out quite a bit. He is out for this game.
Speaker 3: That's bad news.
Speaker 6: They've got Dalton Kincaid, a talented tight end that really has not yet broken out the way that people thought they would pass that. I mean, these are prayers. Curtis Samuel eight million dollars a year they brought in and he has not really been a big part of their offense just yet. We might see some of that this week. Marquez Valdez, Scantling and Max Hollins keon Coleman. These are receivers that you're kind of hoping turn into something. But it's long been my opinion that Bill's fans, these Bills fans that rewrite the Digs era, they don't really understand just how good and how important he was. He's a star with gravity that polls defenses and made everything easy for people behind him. And the sin for the Bills during the Digs era was they let it drift. Their receiver room went from Diggs and Beasley and Emmanuel Sanders and gave Davis to just Digs and Davis and then guys that couldn't really get on the field. So I think they do miss him. Their offense is still good, It's always going to be good with Josh Allen. But the worst it should really ever be is like ten. So if it's eight, I don't necessarily think that's going great. I think that's near the floor of what you should be. We'll see where Joe Brady goes. I think he's got some good ideas, some good concepts, but I am not thinking, oh, Diggs is gone and they'll never miss them again.
Speaker 14: All right, Ten seconds for you, Jeremy on the way out the door, who is four and one after.
Speaker 15: The game.
Speaker 3: Houston because of the injuries.
Speaker 6: Really, I mean, Shakira is big, Taylor rap is out, that's big. At Oliver is out, that's big. The Bills ruled out a bunch of guys today and they don't have anybody who Shakir so Shakier not in the slot. It's a big problem.
Speaker 15: Agreed, We'll see what happens.
Speaker 14: Jeremy really appreciate the time, and we'll talk to you against soon.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys, all right, good stuff there from Jeremy White from WGR there in Buffalo. I mean, you know, talked about it from the Bill's side. A lot of guys that are out. Still haven't had Christian Harris for this year. That's been a huge part of this Texans team that you would like to have in the fold. The good news though, I mean Tank Dell with our very own Aaron Wilson in the Texans locker room yesterday saying good to go. He'll be out there tomorrow against the Bills. So looking forward to it. Gonna be a fun atmosphere. I think we can all agree on that, Bills. I threw it out there on Twitter too as well. I want to see a table jump like, I think I'm gonna be making my way a little slower into the stadium, go through some of the tailgate lots there at NRG, and I want to see if any of Bill's mafia is ready to perform for the crowd. I will not be jumping onto any tables. That will not be happening. I think if I did that, I would probably be in a chair, and not for good reasons. So not gonna be doing that, but definitely be willing to watch people who want to make themselves part of their own unaired episode of Jackass.
Speaker 2: So that'll be fun to be able to watch.
Speaker 4: So hopefully I can be able to put eyes upon that tomorrow. College football ongoing right now, Aggie's out to an early lead, noted missou alum Bindubo's who of course you hear here on social media, seeming to believe that the Zebras are calling it pretty heavily in the A and M favor right now. But the Aggie's out to a ten to nothing lead in that one. They're at Kyle Field, so pretty fun. I did just throw this out though, because I'm watching it on ABC right now and they showed the Cora cadets, and of course you know they've got the twelve mantals, they're waving them, doing all of that. One of the guys with horns down, you're playing Miszoo, stop doing the horns down like Texas should be the furthest thing from your mind right now. And I know that it's a rivalry all that kind of stuff, but can we stop doing this when you're not playing Texas the horns down thing? Come on, Ags, Seriously, you get made fun of for enough things, no need to add to it. So let's try to help help yourself help yourself in that case. So anyway, that's what's happening right now, all right. Coming up next, something brought up on the NFL players side that I wanted to get into before we got out of here today. As the players don't want to do this anymore. We'll discuss that on the other side as we wrap up this edition of Space City Saturday. Still time for you to get in and if you want to want any of the astro stuff we talked about earlier, that's on the table if you want to.
Speaker 2: It's fair game.
Speaker 4: Hop on a board at seven one three, two, one, two, five, seven ninety. Once again, that's seven one, three two on two five, seven ninety. Dan Matthews, Space City Saturday. We'll wrap it up here next on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Exactly what.
Speaker 1: Space City Saturday? On Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: We've had enough for it this week.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I would say, you know, you don't want the Texans to hurt us tomorrow, but we've already been hurt enough by the Astros. So hopefully it's one of those you can get a strong end to the week to propel us forward in this Texan season. They're three and one Buffalo coming in after a tough loss last week to the Baltimore Ravens, So even though they're a little banged up, you got to believe that, you know, Doug mcdug McDermott's team is going to be looking for a strong bounce back in their efforts inside NRG Stadium tomorrow, So we'll see how it all goes for that game. Someone three two one two five seven ninety is the number to get in on the phone lines. I know, I said, Doug McDermott, Sean McDermott. See sometimes I mix up my name. Doug McDermott is a basketball player, was a basketball player.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter anyway.
Speaker 4: So the nfl PA coming out with something interesting yesterday in terms of how you postgame interviews and how interviews in the.
Speaker 2: Locker room are conducted.
Speaker 4: And when I brought this up yesterday on the A Team, WEX was mentioning that this would not be in regards to game days, This would be more towards the practice weeks. But I think it's one of those It starts there and it doesn't necessarily end there. Once you open the door of this, then it's a possibility of it being the case going forward. But the NFLPA on Friday issue to statement urging the NFL to make quote immediate changes to its current, quote outdated media policy in regards to locker room interviews. The statement reads like this quote. Over the past three years, the NFLPA has tried to work with the NFL and Pro Football Writers Association of America to move media interviews out of locker rooms. However, there's been a little willingness to collaborate on a new solution. Players field at locker room interviews invade their privacy and are uncomfortable this isn't about limiting media access, but about respecting players privacy and dignity. The statement continues, quote the NFL's current policy is outdated. We the nfl PA Executive Committee, urged the NFL to make immediate changes to foster a more respectful and safer working place for our players. In the meantime, we encourage each player to ask for interviews outside the locker room during the week. I understand sort of to a point where the players are coming from, but I mean a respectful and safer working place. What does people holding microphones make unsafe in the locker room? Like, I understand it from the standpoint of, you know, you know, that's where players get dressed. That's where players want to be able to, you know, speak freely in that place, because I mean, it is a safe space. The locker room, the clubhouse in baseball, it's supposed to be a safe place, but it's also too At the same time, I think, what from the media perspective allows for interviews in locker rooms and clubhouses to be better than in more sterilized environments. From the standpoint of, you know, scrums outside the outside of the locker room, where everybody's standing around, you kind of get canned answers, you get canned responses. Same deal with press conferences as well. You just really if you're trying for a one on one, you don't get the same type of you know, just cant did responses that I think you could get from having those types of situations.
Speaker 2: And you know it's also too as well.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I've heard it from both the player's side, but also to the media side as well. Here's where I think it could go sideways. I've covered college football for a long time, and in college football, aside from championship games for conferences and bowl games, you do not get locker room access. You get a certain amount of players brought out, and more often than not, it's the same guys that are brought out every single week, and they're told the party line to be able to toe and the talking points to throw out there. So you really just don't get any good responses. It's college I get that, but at the same time, you just don't really get the chance to be able to build up that relationship and a huge part of this business that people don't necessarily think about, because it is what makes those who are really good at this job, good at their jobs, is building up that relationship, that trust of being able to have that where soon enough the player or the coach they trust you, you get better answers out of them because they know, Hey, if I say this to this guy or this lady, they're not going to twist my words, they're not going to put me in a bad light. And I can trust that they're going to do me right if indeed I'm speaking my mind a little bit more freely.
Speaker 2: I think the other part of it as well.
Speaker 4: This could kind of lend to a chance to be taken advantage of by organizations because you have media relations people who are doing their job, and their job is to be able to protect the franchise. How do you protect the franchise? You protect players in certain cases from themselves or you know, anybody inside the building from themselves. And it could be say you have an agreed upon interview with a player, Oh so and so can't do it. He's got to go to training, he's got to go do all of this, whatever it might be. The convenient excuses could arise as opposed to you haven't agreed upon interview, you go that player's locker. Hey, you ready to go? You want to talk about this right now? Yeah, let's do this right now. All those different types of things, that's what I think kind of allows for that to be the case. I think the other part of this as well, I'll just go ahead and say it. In some cases there's people who are credentialed for games that honestly should not be. This is a job that you have to pay your dues in order to be able to get to a certain point and gain that trust of not only the people that I've talked about, but also to you the audience as well. I mean, you know, I understand in the age of podcasting and everything else of the sort that people think, oh, anybody can just do this like I love you know of people all the time. You know, oh you know I want to host a radio show. All right, Well you know how much do you prepare what? Yes, there's preparation that goes into this. There's you know, preparation of forming your argument and you know, being able to craft how and when you want to bring things up on your show. It's not just turning on a microphone and winging it and just going That's not how this job is done at least not well so in that case right there. I mean, you know, getting to a major market in this business, for example.
Speaker 2: You've got to pay your dues.
Speaker 4: You've got to be able to have not only the trust of the audience but also to the trust of people who may be hiring you to know that you can go on and be able to be two things informative and entertaining. And I think in certain cases, you know, this would be just another step that they can try to say that it's not about limiting media access, but eventually that's what it would become, because then you would have you know, a player, Hey, so and so wants to talk to you outside. Oh, tell them, you know, tell them I've got this. I you know, I don't want to do it. I mean, then you've got the middleman or middle lady in the media relations person who then has to go and deliver the bad news of you know, oh, well, you know, hey, they can't do it, they've got this, they've got whatever, and then you're screwed. You're standing with yourself in terms of being in a tough spot of you had a story that you were planning on being able to run with and now you can run with it. So, I mean to a certain point, like I said, I understand it is their safe place. It is, you know, where they're supposed to be able to be themselves, but also to at the same time, I mean, let's not act like it's completely invasive all the time. We're in there for forty five minutes at a time. You know when we're coming in, you know we'll be there. And if you want to avoid the cameras and people in there, then make that your time to go to the cafeteria, make that your time to go to the weight room, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can do that. That's that's not a problem.
Speaker 4: You know when the media relations you know department is going to be coming in with the media. So if you want to avoid it, then avoid him that way. But I mean, you know, to say that this is invasive, I'm sorry. I just I can't ride with you on that. That's going to do it for us here on Space City Saturday. I want to think Melvin Brown for his great work as always behind the glass, Aria Alexander joining us earlier, appreciate his time also too great to hear from Jeremy White from WGR There in Buffalo. I'm Dan Matthews, spent Space City Saturday on You're Home with the Astros and the Rockets. Sports Talk seven ninety. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 17: Want to hear the best cocktail pick of the week the best game picks of the week. Tune into Sports Talk seven ninety every Friday morning to hear the best picks of the week.
Speaker 2: Sponsor by Specs.
Speaker 17: Specs is home to all your football watching and tailgating supplies, including the drinks, the food, the plates and cups, and all your cocktail making tools.
Speaker 1: We're going abroad for the first time in years to Spain, so we started using Babbel and.
Speaker 15: Started learning Spanish fast.
Speaker 10: With Babel, you can start having conversations in another language in just three weeks.
Speaker 15: Komoteamas.
Speaker 2: When you learn a language, you want to actually use it.
Speaker 10: Babbel is designed with that gold in mind.
Speaker 9: In just three weeks we're starting to have conversations in Spanish.
Speaker 15: Babbel Babbel language for life.
Speaker 2: Now. Try Babel for free at babel dot com.
Speaker 15: That's vabb e l dot com.
Speaker 18: All day, every day. Loan Star Chevy's buying hundreds of vehicles, any make, any model, any condition, So log on at lone Star Chevrolet dot com or come see us today and get up top of the line offer for your vehicle, the deal of a lifetime plus at Loan Star. Chevy will buy from you even if you don't buy from us, So let us buy your old car today. Log on lone Star Chevrolet dot com. That's lone Star Chevrolet dot com, or come see us at the legendary Loan Star Chevrolet two ninety at Eldred Chevy. Together, let's drive ABM E Houston ATVHD two Houston and Myheart radio stations.
Speaker 3: The Rockets your home for your home teams. This is Sports Talk seven ninety