Speaker 1: How would you rate my pick of Nick Benito?
Speaker 2: You know, I think that he's an underrated player and has a fantastic opportunity to be a great contributor. Is he going to be someone who lead the team and av No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Carolina three or ten On third down, empty set, Young raises the right knee, bounces around, it bounces right into a sack back at the sixteen yard line. That's the easiest one of the year for Nick Benito. And that is the sixth consecutive game that Nick Benito has had at least a sack. That one fell right into his lap.
Speaker 1: I always love it when Grant plays clips of something that I was right on, that I forgot that I was right on that I get to spike the football again.
Speaker 4: This is not about you being right, So stop bringing your arm trying to patch yourself on the back.
Speaker 1: Everything is about me being right. And I've already sought treatment for the sore elbow from patting myself on the backside.
Speaker 4: Elbow.
Speaker 1: It patters elbow. You know, it's similar to us. It's the same injury Act that those referees are getting in the NFL right now with flaggers elbow with throwing so many flags out there right now, they'll get the over got to get the tub ready for the refs.
Speaker 4: Is similar to uh yes, and you're gonna have to.
Speaker 1: Get that surgery, the surgery in order to be able to get that flag out there five six six nine zeros in text line Benjamin old Bright Deck ferguson live from Sam's Number three in Glendale, Gonna go right out to the KA commcentrator with hotline and bringing on our buddy Ryan Michael at the Ryan Michael on Twitter ride. How you doing this evening?
Speaker 2: Doing well?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: Nick? How are you guys?
Speaker 1: I was just basking in the globe being right again? Nice Nick was. Nick was frustrated with it, but you know, I think deep deep down he appreciates me spiking the belt even though I didn't score on that particular play.
Speaker 3: Ryan.
Speaker 1: You know, we've it's been an interesting ride so far this season. Earlier this season, all we hear about bo Nick's uh, you know, recording historic lows and efficiency. Then we get the Raiders, the Panthers, the Saints. We see them light at the box score a highlight reel. Halfway through the season. Who is Bonix?
Speaker 2: You know? That's a difficult question to answer, Ben, because eight games in we're dealing with such a small sample size with both the highs and the lows. Of course, the truth is going to be somewhere in between those two ends of the spectrum, you know, when you look at his efficiency numbers from a statistical perspective. We talked about this a little bit last week. Having such a small sample size when you struggle as he did towards the beginning of the season, We'll skeew the numbers and I'll give you a Payton Manning stat to that effect. Building off of our win over Carolina in Super Bowl fifty, Manning only attempted twenty three passes if you include the two point conversion twenty four passes. He was got awful in the second quarter two of seven for fifteen yards to pick a zero point zero passer rating, but in the other three quarters combined, his passer rating was nearly one hundred. He completed the total of twelve of seventeen passes for one hundred and twenty eight yards, And so you look to the total numbers for that game, you would say Peyton Manning did not have a good statistical game, But the sample size was so small that awful second quarter killed the overall efficiency numbers. Similar thing at play for bow in terms of his awful outings versus Seattle and Pittsburgh, and some more efficiency even than the win over the Jets. So the truth is somewhere in between.
Speaker 4: Well, and we've seen bow Nicks be successful from the beginning of the season with the implementation of maybe some RPO plays and some design quarterback runs. And we saw last week on Thursday Night Football against the Saints he had that long run down the left side of the field. Do you project or foresee that bo Nick's being able to run efficiently as he has been thus far as being something that the Broncos to lean on move forward.
Speaker 2: You know, I think he accepted the bar so hind Nick that it wouldn't be reasonable to expect to see this kind of production on the ground, and I came prepared with some numbers to that effect. His four rushing touchdowns are two away from the Broncos franchise rookie record in tebou scored six. But right now, his rushing success percentage, which is an efficiency metric per Pro Football Reference, at fifty five point eight percent blows away Tebow's rookie mark of fifty one point two percent. It's the highest mark in franchise history for a rookie quarterback. So high, he's eighth in the NFL for players of all positions. The only quarterbacks ahead of him are Jalen Hurts and Jaden Daniels. Bo is just to tick above Lamar Jackson a fifty five point six percent so hey his current pace, he's on pace to produce five hundred and fifty yards eight touchdowns while averaging five point zero yards per carry on the ground. I don't think it's sustainable. Will continue to build off it, and it will be effective at times, but he's really set the bar so high to expect more of the same in the second half of the season, I don't think that would be reasonable. I would expect see not so much regression as much as the opposing defenses having Moral twenty two to study, and they'll implement measures that force him to win through the air.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's the way we all we all saw it coming. Bo Nix would absolutely just lam based Lamar Jackson in terms of rushing because he's such a you know, I can't even finish that call it bo Vic when all sudden instead of bow Knicks. Look, there have been things that have helped bow improve over the course of this though. You talked about a little bit but quicker pre snap work, cleaning up some of the issues that play the offense. During the first few games of the season, we saw the Broncos finally start to adopt a little bit of tempo at times, picking up the pace of things, and that's certainly helped out as well. What else can they do to kind of sort of help bow Knicks as he matures and grows this season?
Speaker 2: You know, I think it's a matter of continuing to build continuity in the offense so we don't need to be having the seemingly endless number of persons I'll swap. I think that Sean Payton has certainly dummied down the language right, so we're not seeing bo Nick struggling just to get the words out in time to call play. I think we've made improvement in that area, and I think as he continues to get more support on the ground, that's going to open up things in the passing game. All the cliches are true. Football is a balanced game, so you can find that perfect balance of passing and rushing deficiency as we've seen over the last four weeks or so, and I wouldn't say that it's perfect. I'd say it's trending in the right direction. If we can continue to build on that, I'm excited to see what he's going to be able to do as a passer against some tougher defenses.
Speaker 4: Well, when you think about last Sunday's game, it was it did start out as well as the Broncos wanted, and they had some trouble spots along the way. But is there a particular player on either side of the ball that really stood out to you?
Speaker 2: I think collectively for Bo, it's really just a matter of that overall efficiency, and as we've seen, he starts to get hot during the second half of games. We even saw that in the season opener this year against Seattle, So you know, it's a matter of getting off. If we could take the positive hot start that he had versus Tampa Bay with some of these hot finishes, you'd really have the perfect quarterback. So there's plenty to clean up and plenty to build off of.
Speaker 1: As we look at the splits that Bo has incurred through the first half of the season. What are some positives and what are some some negatives.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'll start with the positive, even though it's a somewhat limited sample size. Under center, he's been playing very well. He's completed twenty eight forty five passes two hundred and forty eight yards, four touchdowns, no picks, a one oh six point five passer rating. He's only taken one sack in those forty forty six dropbacks, and three of his four rushing touchdowns have come from under center. So I'd like to see them incorporate a little bit more of that, you know, weakness. I would say after he crossed his midfield between the opponents forty nine and twenty plays better in the red zone. But between the forty nine and twenty he's only completed fifty seven point three percent of his passes for one hundred and fifty three yards, no touchdowns, two picks, sixty four passer rating. He gets better in the red zone eight touchdowns to one pick, which are his numbers for the totality, or rather, the touchdowns for the season have all come in the red zone. He's playing good football there, just needs to clean it up after he passes midfield.
Speaker 4: So what do you think that coach Payton needs to do to kind of squeeze more of the Jews out of his receivering corps, Because on Sunday we saw you know, Devon Villat making couple of plays, and obviously since last week there has been a consort of efforts trying to get Troy Franklin involved in offense more. But what can he do from a coaching standpoint or even scheme standpoint to kind of give those guys more touches?
Speaker 2: You know, I think he's doing what he can. In the receiver have to make the most out of their opportunities. Obviously, the big drops and bumbles or are killers even in games where we're well ahead, as we were against Carolina, So you know, we have to clean that up, and the players who are getting targets need to make the most of those opportunities. You could tell Courtland Sutton must have felt the paint of having no targets the week before because he hauled in eight receptions off eleven targets butt up one hundred yards. That's definitely encouraging to see, and I think that the rest of the receiving corps will need to follow suit.
Speaker 1: What should we expect, what should broadcast country expect out a bone X in the second half season.
Speaker 2: I'd say in the second half of the season, what we're going to see are he's going to be forced to flesh out his skills as a passer, and then I'm in agreement with you. As impressive as it is to see him put up the box score numbers that he did against Carolina, and even on tape, it was very, very pretty, but it was against one of the worst defenses in pro football. He's catching a break this week going against Baltimore's defense that ranks twenty ninth and passer ratings surrendered at one O three point four, dead last in the NFL. In passing yards, They've given up two thousand and three hundred and thirty one, tied for dead last in the league. They've given up seventeen touchdown passes. On the flip side, they're number one in the NFL in terms of yards per carry, only allowing three point three. So it looks to me, at least on paper, a game that he is going to need to win through the air. As time goes on, I want to see how he holds up against some of the better pass defenses in the league, because that's something we haven't seen yet. Carrying apart bad defense is one thing, but eventually you're going to be facing those top ten defenses and you got to show up.
Speaker 4: Well, we know the Raves are not that great as far as playing the pass, and we watched Davante Williams just kind of explode out of the gate last week on Thursday Night Football, and no one as though you're going to need every single player in every ounce of production, none is going. You're going against Lamar Jackson and Derrick Henry, who they gonna want to keep the ground game going. Do you see an opportunity at any point, I guess as Baltimore Ravens defense where the Broncos can get davontep back on track.
Speaker 2: You know, as much as I'd like to say that, this week is going to be the week going against the league's leaders in defensive rushing XP, which is another efficient symmetric per Pro Football Reference twenty two point zero five, Statistically speaking, Nick, this is going to be the week to be efficient through the passing game. It's not that you're going to abandon the run game. Because we, of course need to have balanced We've done a great job in terms of controlling the quod. I think we had thirty three minutes plus of possession last week, so I'd like to see that continue. This week is going to be tougher against a quarterback like mar Jackson, but I think if our offense is going to have any success, it's going to be through the air.
Speaker 1: Talking with Ryan Michael at the Ryan Michael on Twitter, ran, what'd you think of the accusations of Sean Payton trying to run it up last week?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, when you produce twenty eight points, I don't know how much we're running up the score. And I may be in the minority here, Ben, but it's my view that as opposing coaches, as opposing defensive players, your job is to stop the other team from scoring. So if you perform so poorly that your opponent is ahead by so much that they're to take their foot off the gas, it's the classic thing to do. And you know, I don't think it's something that should be taken for granted. So I think you've got to go out there and play football. If you're exhausting yourself at the end of the game. Coming after a head coach, we're doing his job, and that's really what we'd like to see more out of a Sean Payton offense that ranks twentieth in the league and scoring and two of those touchdowns come on the defensive side of the ball. So I want to see Sean Payton leave the offense to more points. I don't particularly care when it happens. It means more when you're putting your team ahead, but it happens at the end of football games that it builds momentum going into next week. I'm here for it played better.
Speaker 4: I mean, whether we in season or were in the off season, the conversation is always dominated by quarterback play, just kind of overall. Looking at the situation that Shane Stikeen is dealing with with Anthony Richardson with the Colts and the fact that you know, he said that he was tied, and that narrative is that he tapped he's tapped out. Do you think that somehow, as we move forward during the evaluation process and for Quarterbacks Schedule to come out in twenty twenty five, that looking at Anthony Richardson somehow changes how the quarterback position is evaluated from.
Speaker 2: Here on out. Well, you know, as we talked about during the spring, it's more probable than not that your top ten overall quarterback selection, with the exception of the guys who are going number one overall, is going to be a bust relative to a really really dating stand And statistically, unfortunately for Richardson dead last in the league and passer rating at fifty seven point two, second to lasses for Levis at seventy point seven, he's only completed forty four point four percent of his passes, so it's been a very ugly overall season for him. With a somewhat limited sample size, he's only attempt at one hundred and thirty three passes. So this really isn't anything new. Rarely do you see a quarterback drafted that high struggle as much as Anthony has this season. But it's something that all thirty fIF teams have to be prepared for because, with the exception of number one overall picks, it's a coin flip when you're drafting in the top ten, and so depending on the situation, you have to be prepared for that. There is no guarantee that because you draft a quarterback high he's going to be playing at an elite level.
Speaker 1: Ran What do you give the Broncos as far as chances coming up against the Baltimore Ravens. They got a tough three game stretch. The Ravens is nick noted, not exactly great against the pass this year. They do stuff pretty well. The defense has had some issues there, but of course they got a very very good offense. It's going to be interesting as you've got the number one per play offense to the Baltimore Ravens against the number one per play defense in the Broncos. But what chance do you give the Broncos this week?
Speaker 2: You know, I have Baltimore at twenty seven to twenty one. It's a winnable game. When you look at just how week Baltimore's pass defense has been, I would say if history is the gauge, they're due to have a good game because it's been really ugly for them three eight games so far. But Baltimore is the better overall team. Lamar Jackson's arguably playing the quarterback position better than anybody in the NFL right now, and as great as our defense has been, it's going to be the biggest challenge of the season far and away, so I'm pulling for him. I think it's a winnable game, but I still give the slight edge to Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Well, he's Ryan Michael at The Ryan Michael on Twitter. Look forward to talking to you next week. Hopefully the Broncos are able to get that win against the Baltimore Ravens, but if they don't, we going into Kansas City and and trying to figure things out. Look forward to talking to them.
Speaker 2: But thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely take care, Ryan Michael at The Ryan Michael on Twitter