Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone to the deep dive. You know, we get a lot of requests, and this one was pretty interesting. This time we're going deep on C programming.
Speaker 2: Oh nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so many listeners are I think curious, you know, about how C programming is actually used in the real world and what kind of practical applications it has. And we happen to have a well not happen to have We got a C programming textbook. Oh cool, and we also have the table of contents, which is really cool, I think. So. I mean we can kind of get like a cheat sheet overview of this without having to read through pages and pages. Code love it. So we can already tell this deep dive is going to be pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sea is everywhere, even if people don't realize it, So this will be fun to like reveal the sea behind the curtain.
Speaker 1: I guess, yes, exactly. So the book is called Practical C Programming Solutions for Modern Sea Developers. I can get this ready for this. It's dedicated to Gudo van Rossom.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, who is the Python.
Speaker 1: The creator of Python. Yeah, it's like finding out that you know, your favorite modern artist was inspired by like a Renaissance master.
Speaker 2: You know, totally. I mean that says a lot. You know. You think Python is like, you know, so easy to use everything, but it all goes back to C. Yeah, Like understanding C is almost like seeing how the gears really turn.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah under the hood.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, totally. Okay, So the author B. M. Harwani has written about like everything I'm talking jQuery, Python, Wow, Android clearly knows his stuff, definitely, And I love that the book takes a kind of a cookbook approach, you know, like practical solutions, ready to use, kind perfect for a deep dive.
Speaker 1: You said you wanted to see see an action, not just theory, right, I think this is going to work really well.
Speaker 2: I think so too. Even just glancing at the table of contents, We've got embedded software and IoT, which is you know, huge these days, improving the performance of your code. Who wouldn't want that, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And it just keeps going And.
Speaker 2: Those are great examples of why C is still relevant today. You know, like IoT, that's all about interacting directly with hardware, which C excels at, right. And when it comes to you know, speed and efficiency, nothing beats C pretty much.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm hearing Okay, so now I'm looking at the recipes. These are like a little mini projects. Look, and there's one called toggling the port of a micro controller in embedded C. Okay, in parentheses blinking LED.
Speaker 2: I love that one. Everyone loves LED's classic. Gotta love it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, I mean it might seem simple, but it shows how C controls hardware at such a basic level, right, which is I think why it's used in so many devices exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like think of I don't know, the little LED on your router that blanks to show it's working, right, Yeah, probably C code run that.
Speaker 1: Okay, this next one is a little more, a little more complex, finding the transpose of a matrix using pointers. I get that matrices are like these grids of numbers, But what exactly are pointers and why are they so important in C?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a good question. Pointers. They're really powerful, Yeah, but people often find them confusing.
Speaker 1: I can imagine.
Speaker 2: Basically, they let you work with memory addresses. Yeah, like the exact location of data in the computer's memory.
Speaker 1: So instead of just knowing like the street name, you have the exact GPS coordinates of a house.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy. Yeah, and that means C code can jump right to the data it needs, okay, without having to search through like a whole neighborhood of memory, which is one reason why SEE is so efficient.
Speaker 1: So efficient, And I see another recipe that caught my eye. Okay, encrypting a file sounds kind of spy movie ish, right.
Speaker 2: But honestly that one is super relevant to like everyone's life. How so well, encryption is what keeps our online transaction secure, oh, protects our passwords, make sure digital communication is private.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, gotcha. So this recipe shows how C can like scramble of file's contents, make it unreadable without.
Speaker 2: A key exactly. It probably uses math operations like bitshifting and xor it shiftingah to transform the data so only someone with the right key can reverse it.
Speaker 1: Wow, so we've gone from blinking LEDs to encrypting files. It's kind of blowing my mind how much C is involved in all this tech.
Speaker 2: It really is foundational.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right. So there's this diagram early in the book, figure one point ten. It shows how matrix elements are stored in memory. Maybe we can use this to illustrate some of these concepts.
Speaker 2: Ooh good idea visualizing this stuff is always helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, A picture's worth a thousand lines of code exactly. So let's dive into that matrix.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see how C sees those elements. So figure one point ten. It's it's a grid like a spreadsheet, the matrix. But the way C stores this in memory, it's actually a sequence like one element after the other row by row.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's not like C sees the neat rosen columns like we do when we look at the diagram, right.
Speaker 2: C doesn't like inherently get rose and columns. It just sees this long line of elements in memory, like imagine a line of people waiting for a concert.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I get that. But then how to C know where one row ends and the next one begins if it's all one big line.
Speaker 2: Well, when you define a matrix in C, you tell it how many rows and columns it has, like two by three for example, right right, And using that, C can actually calculate the exact memory address of each element.
Speaker 1: So if I want to grab the element in say the first row, second column, C does some math behind the scenes to figure out exactly where it is, and that memory line yep.
Speaker 2: It's like having a seating chart for that concert line. You know. Yeah, Row one, seat two C knows exactly where to go. And this is where pointers come.
Speaker 1: In, right right, like those GPS coordinates you were.
Speaker 2: Talking about, exactly. It gives you direct access. You can just jump to that memory location, no need to like walk down the whole line.
Speaker 1: Oh I see. So it's like having backstage passes.
Speaker 2: Haha. Yeah, you get to bypass the line and go right to where you need to be. So in that matrix transpose recipe, C can use pointers to swap elements around without having to copy entire rows or columns. Super efficient.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. But earlier you said pointers can be a bit tricky too, Like what's the downside of having this much control over memory?
Speaker 2: Well, you gotta be careful. One classic sea pitfall is the buffer overflow. Imagine you have like a container. Yeah, it has a fixed size, that's your memory buffer. But then you try to put more stuff in.
Speaker 1: Oh, it overflows, like everything crashes.
Speaker 2: It can yeah, data gets corrupted the program like crash, and it can even create security holes that hackers can take advantage of.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, so it's like with great power comes great responsibility. Even in C programming.
Speaker 2: Definitely, you have the power to directly work with memory, which you really need to know what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes sense. It's like having a super powerful sports car, exciting to drive, but you better know how to handle it.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy. To really master C, you need to understand what's going on at the memory level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's deep. Okay, This whole memory and pointers thing is really making me appreciate how C works under the hood.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating, right, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Speaker 1: Really, I know we still have all those other recipes to explore. I'm really curious about that encryption one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. I think it's a good example of how c's low level control can be used for security.
Speaker 1: Stuff exactly, making sure only the right people can access the data.
Speaker 2: Yep, exactly. Like think about when you enter your credit card info online, oh right, or send a confidential email. Encryption is working behind the scenes to protect that information. And a lot of the time that encryption is built on C code.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. C is like the secret language of cybersecurity.
Speaker 2: You could say that it's great for these complex encryption algorithms.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's switch gears for a second and talk about that chapter on embedded software and IoT. I want to see how C plays into the world of like smart devices and all these connected systems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great idea. So remember how C is really good at working directly with hardware. Yeah, well, with embedded systems, we're talking about programming things like micro controllers, okay, sensors, all the components that are like the brains of those devices.
Speaker 1: So that blinking LED recipe, that's like a simple example of C controlling a device.
Speaker 2: Exactly, but think bigger instead of just an LED. Okay, you could be controlling motors, reading data from temperature sensors, right, processing GPS signals, all sorts of things, making decisions based on real time input.
Speaker 1: Wow. So things like I don't know my smart thrmostat, my fitness jrugger, even my cars engine could all be running C code.
Speaker 2: Very likely. Yeah. C is perfect for these tiny, resource constrained environments, you know, limited marine, limited processing power. It's the workhorse behind a lot of the Internet of Things.
Speaker 1: It's amazing to think this language that's been around for so long is still powering so much of our modern world.
Speaker 2: It really is. Yeah. C might not be flashy, but it gets the job done and it does it well. It's like having a set of really well made tools that can build anything.
Speaker 1: I'm really starting to see the influence of C everywhere. It's like I'm seeing the code behind everything.
Speaker 2: It's eye opening, isn't it. Okay, Well, before we wrap things up with this deep dive into C programming, I think we should talk a bit about what it's actually like to work with this language.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, SE can seem pretty cryptic. It's kind of like we've pulled back the curtain on this whole hidden world, you know. Yeah, running behind the scenes of our digital lives.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating, it is, it is, And you know, C might be old, but it's definitely not outdated.
Speaker 1: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: People think it's intimidating, and it can be, but it's also elegant, you know, like there's a simplicity to it and once you to understand it, it's really satisfying.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I bet. But let's be real. See, he's got this reputation for being like tricky, prone to errors, especially with all this low level stuff. We've been talking about. What kind of challenges do C programmers actually run into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to be very precise with C. One tiny mistake can cascade into a whole bunch of problems, bugs that are super hard to find. It's a language that requires, you know, a lot of discipline, a deep understanding of how it works.
Speaker 1: So one wrong step and the whole thing could fall apart pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember that buffer overflow.
Speaker 1: We talked about, Yeah, with the container and then overfilling it.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, trying to cram too much data into a memory space that's too small. That's one common pitfall that can lead to you know, data corruption, crashes, even security vulnerabilities, and that's.
Speaker 1: How hackers get into systems right a.
Speaker 2: Lot of the time. Yeah, it's why C programmers have to be super careful about security, especially when they're dealing with anything from outside the program, user input, or network communication. You got to make sure the data is clean.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about making the code fast, it's got to be safe too, exactly.
Speaker 2: And another big challenge is memory management.
Speaker 1: Right, we talked about that a bit, but like, remind me why is that so tricky.
Speaker 2: So in a lot of modern languages, memory is handled automatically, but in C, yeah, the programmer has to do it manually.
Speaker 1: Right, right, So what kind of problems can that cause?
Speaker 2: It's really easy to mess up, Like you might forget to release memory that you're not using anymore, and that leads to what's called a memory leak.
Speaker 1: Oh right, memory leaks. What happens then, Well.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like a slow drip from a leaky faucet. Each little leak might not seem like a big deal, right, but over time it wastes a ton of water. Same with memory leaks. You use up more and more memory, and eventually your program might slow way down or even crash.
Speaker 1: It's like digital clutter, just building up over time. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good analogy. So to be a good sea programmer it takes technical skill obviously, but also a lot of discipline. You have to be really meticulous, right because finding those bugs can be a real pain. It's almost like detective work. You know, your piece together clues trying to figure out what went wrong.
Speaker 1: I never thought about it like that, but that makes sense. Okay, Well, this deep dive has honestly been really really eye opening. C might not be the most like trendy language, but it's clearly essential.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and as rewarding too. Once you understand it, you can do so much with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we go, one last question. The book mentions something called loop unrolling as a way to make code run faster. What is that?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, so loop unrolling. It's basically a way to reduce the overhead that comes with loops. So instead of repeating instructions over and over, you just write them out explicitly. It's kind of like streamlining a factory process. Okay, yeah, instead of having one worker do the same thing ten times. Yeah, you give each step.
Speaker 1: Its own station, right, right, so things move faster, I guess exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it can also make the code harder to read.
Speaker 1: It's a trade off, right, So programmers have to decide what's best for each situation.
Speaker 2: Yep, It's all about finding the right balance.
Speaker 1: This has been amazing. We've gone from blinking LEDs to encrypting files, from memory leaks to debugging mysteries.
Speaker 2: It's been fun. I hope everyone listening has learned something new about this, this amazing language that shapes so much of our digital world.
Speaker 1: Me too, and for all our listeners out there, keep exploring, Try writing some C code yourself. See what you can create.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get your hands dirty, dive into those recipes we talked about, and never stop asking questions until next time. Happy coding, everyone, Happy coding,