Speaker 1: Good morning Kentucky and a six oh five here on news Radio eight forty WHAS It's Kentucky and his Morning News with Nick Coffee. The full crew is here. Thank you John Shannon once again for another great news update. Also John Alden alongside the Johns are here as well as Scott Fitzgerald and again myself. Don't forget to take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. Also, you can use the talkback feature to chime in and share really whatever it is that you want with us with us this morning. All right. So, one of the big stories I think so far this summer in sports here locally is the Vince Marrow Kentucky departure in him ending up at Louisville and I, John, you can help me out here. Wouldn't you say that this wouldn't be Mark Stoop's Losing Vince Merrow really under any circumstance to any other job would be a blow. It would be a bad look because he's the fan favorite within Big Blue Nation, meaning Vince Marrow, just because he's he's kind of almost like I don't want to call him mask. I don't want to call him the mascot because that's it sounds like I'm insulting him. But I mean, he's very visible within their program. He's kind of a hype man as showman, if you will. And he didn't just leave. He left to go to Louisville, which is kind of crazy. But John, have you seen how he let the folks at the University of Kentucky know that he was leaving.
Speaker 2: I have not seen this.
Speaker 1: No, So this uh to me, this is this is this is kind of a bad look. However, I maybe there's really no good way to go about it when it comes to you leaving a job and it clearly going to be public and it's going to be a big story. But he let them know through text messages.
Speaker 2: Oh man. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Lindsey Goff, who is a sports anchor at w WKYT in Lexington, she did an open records request to obtain the resignation letter from Vince Marrow and through the open records request, she was given how he informed his employer at the time that he was leaving. And it wasn't through any letter or an email, it was through a text message. And yeah, it was UK Deputy Athletics Director Mark Hill who got the text message from Vince Marrow and this came the same day that U of L announced Marrow's hiring, which what I would love to know, And maybe I'll reach out to Lindsay to ask because I do think. I mean, it's not worth anything now it's over, he's at Louisville and you know, it really doesn't matter. But I guess more for my curiosity, there's a big difference in when it was announced that he was going to be going to Louisville. That was that was Pete Thamil who broke that news, but it was days later that it became official where they announced it via press release at the University of Louisville. So maybe it's just a formality because when it was broke by Pete Fammeil, that's when it really became real. I guess there's a difference here and really you know that it's happening, and then the final acknowledgment of it being official has got to be the press release. But anyhow, this is what he said to this is it? Yeah, this was Thursday at ten fifty seven am. Let me know when we can chat about moving on car, any devices and keys, et cetera, all the things that was that was sent. I'm sorry that was sent by the Deputy Athletic Director Mark Hill. And then later Vince wrote K just K that was his response, and then he later said, hey, Mark, today is my last day at UK. Thanks for everything.
Speaker 2: I bet he put t X four the number four and then EVR why I just as short as possible. It is how he did it.
Speaker 1: It says thanks, let me know when you want to get your Ford expedition to my house. So yeah, whenever, whenever you end up moving on from a from a job, I mean, how you do it, I don't think is necessarily I mean it's important. But I'm trying to give Vince mayor a little bit of benefit of the doubt here because there may have been some conversations that that that took place that you know, this was instead of just telling him, like if you said it via phone, maybe maybe the Athletic department at the University of Kentucky they need some level of like documentation and just word of mouth via a phone call. Maybe that doesn't do it. So maybe there maybe this was the official way of of you know, documenting this process of him moving on, and because he wasn't bought out, it wasn't as if his contract was broke because he's not coming to Louislle to be in on the field staffer. As far as a position coach, he's he's the director and I don't know his exact title, don't have it in front of me, but director I think of player development, recruiting, that kind of stuff. So yeah, he let him know via text message, and you know, that's that's I don't know. Part of me says that's not the way to go about it, but sometimes there's no good way. I mean, he's he could have gone about it in the most professional way possible. We could have asked all the AI platforms to, hey, give me the best way to break up with my employer. I want to do it with the most class and integrity. The fact that he left to go to Louisville would have made none of that matter, I think. But yeah, the big dog broke up via text message. Yikes, And you're probably right. There probably was a THHX there, John, I could see that all right. We got an update of trapping a weather coming your way. Also, what I want to get to coming up here on the other side. I talked about this a couple of weeks ago, and not only has it not changed, it's getting worse, gotten worse. The majority of our headlines here in Louisville regarding violent crime or with juveniles children. And I know the question everybody's asking, where where are the parents, who who's respond unstable for these young children that are shooting each other? And I don't have the answer to that, but I have a theory that I want to run BIA. So we'll get to that next right here on Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whs. It is six seventeen here at Kentucky. Anda's Morning News with Nick Coffee on NewsRadio eight forty whas. So it's it's I think become a real unfortunate growing trend, and that is that one violent crime here in Louisville continues to happen, but it continues to be either the victim or the perpetrator being not just juveniles meaning under the age of eighteen, but a twelve year old girl yesterday turned herself in joining a thirteen year old girl charged in a Louisville shooting that injured two teenage girls. And again, juvenile crime has surged in Louisville and at a sad and scary rate. I mean, you had a shooting in the Russell neighborhood that was at the end of May, and that was that was That's what this whole case is about. It's two teenage girls were found with non life threatening injuries and gunshot wounds and hospitalized. And now we know that a thirteen year old girl, she was arrested last week charged with two counts of first degree assault, and then Monday, a twelve year old girl turned herself in facing two counts of first degree assault complicity. So this ties in with Over the weekend, three juveniles were arrested by LMPD fifteen, sixteen, and seventeen year old and they were linked to a bunch of burglaries across Louisville. And also you had a drive by shooting in mutual that was I believe on June twenty second. It left a fifteen year old girl and a seventeen year old boy injured, and a seventeen year old male juvenile was arrested and charged with two counts of assault in connection to that incident. So it's it's scary as can be, regardless of the age. It's these are things that you I was, they don't want happening. And if I had the answer of the solution to how to limit this stuff, you know again, I wouldn't be sitting here yapping on the radio. And obviously nobody wants this going on. But I know a lot of people who just go about their life every day. They get up, they go to work, they try to provide for their family, they keep up with the news, but obviously it's sometimes just background noise. This is the kind of background noise that will get your attention. A twelve year old girl has turned herself in for being an accomplice in the shooting. I mean easily, these these two teenage girls that were that were shot, could have been killed. So I mean, this is this is I'm at a loss for words because what else can you mean? What can you say? It's awful, it's it's unthinkable. But a lot of people who I think are you know, your average jos that are just you know, living their life, trying to make ends meet. If they've got children, they're just thinking, well, where are their parents. Who's raising these kids, And that's a fair question. Clearly, not having good guidance at home is probably a factor to this in a major way. Now, you can also have a good mentor in your home and somebody that does everything that you're supposed to do and does the best they can as far as keeping their children from being exposed to violent crime and of course letting them be a part of violent crime. And you know, sometimes it's just you know, you can be the best parent ever and your kids can be bad apples. But what I think is this is not there are clearly young individuals here in the community that do not have good role models. They don't have good parents in their home. They don't have somebody to set an example. And that's awful, but that's not new. That's been a thing for unfortunately a long time generations. There have been young children that don't have good parents in their life to set an example. But now it seems as if they don't have really anybody. Maybe or maybe they do, but I'm telling you, when it comes to just people in the community that may we don't even have kids that would volunteer time to be mentors in their area. Where they know kids are out running the streets without somebody to set an example. I mean, maybe we don't have as many of those people as we used to. I don't know what it is, but the surge in violent crime with children in Louisville is alarming. All Right, We've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way. Also, we'll get an update on sports. It's Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee right here on News Radio eight forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is Kentucky and it Morning News with Nick Coffee. I can't confirm what he said is true. I am Nick Coffee, and again this is Kentucky and his Morning News. Be careful, everybody. We've got the month of July off to a very wet, wet start, which has led to some real traffic issues. We'll get the latest from Bobby Ellis coming up here in about five minutes. However, it looks as if in the last hour we've had an accident on I sixty four eastbound a Ninth Street, which is blocking the right lane, and also the accident on I sixty four eastbound and Hurstbourne blocking the left lane. And also it looks as if the yes, there's an accident at sixty five northbound at Crittin Drive blocking the left lane. And I'm looking at some visuals here at the five oo two traffic social media account and a lot of a lot of wet roads, dark skies and cars not moving. It looks like there's now a crash that has taken place on I sixty four east bound at the second street bridge that has the right lane blocks. So stay safe. It's a sloppy morning, and again we're gonna have showers expected and storms throughout throughout the morning here.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So that story that you just heard there in John Shannon's news update about the father who heroically jumped into the Atlantic Ocean to save his daughter after she fell from a from a Disney cruise ship, I cannot imagine being in that guy's position. I mean, again, he's a hero, but how do you how do you snap back? Do you ever snap back to normal after experiencing something like that? So it took place on a Disney Dream cruise from the Bahamas to Fort Lauderdale. As the girl fell from deck four into the Atlantic Ocean. Her father took action. I'm sure instincts took over. I would imagine there was no moment of giving any kind of thought of what should be done, who should I call? He just jumped in and tried to savor and fortunately he was successful, says They treaded water for about twenty minutes. The ship's crew issued a man overboard alert and deployed a lifeboat, and of course they were both rescued successfully, and there were passengers there that of course recorded the whole thing. And again what a miracle that this that this ended up not leading to both of them drowning and dying. So there were there was there were plexiglass barriers in place for safety, but it's clear how the young girl fell fell overboard. And I mean this is within a few days after we were talking about cruises, so was it late last week we were talking about going on cruises. I'm I'm anti cruise more than anything because I have a phobia of being on water where I can't see land, and that that that is, that that has let me know that I'll never go on a cruise in my life because pretty sure that's the majority of your time at sea, you don't see anything. Uh So I've never been someone that has any has had any interest just because of me, not because you know, I don't think it'd be fun. I just not my kind of thing. And when I hear a story like this, all it does is make me more content in my my my status on cruises for me individually. I mean, I've seen videos and I don't know. Sometimes it's it's AI creation and it just looks very real. But there's been some videos that have surfaced and even if it's not real, to see what it would look like if maybe water got real rocky and you're I mean you got it scares the hell out of me. John.
Speaker 2: If you've been on a cruise, I've not. I'm not as opposed to it as maybe you are, buts I have my reservations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I've always and again I think maybe everybody before they go on a cruise has a little bit of reservation, because there are many that will. In fact, most people who I talk to about a cruise, they'll go out of their way to say, oh, you don't even you don't even know you're on the water. Yeah, it's like you're on another you know, another country.
Speaker 2: I'm more so worried that I would get seasick. I think that's my biggest issue with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would have. I mean, maybe I'm wrong again, I've never been, but I think if you if you end up going on a cruise for let's say, I don't know, a week, I mean, if you don't take any kind of medication to help prevent you from getting seasick, I guess you can see yourself lucky. Or maybe it's you know, I know my my mom and my stepdad have been on many cruises. They love it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: My friends. In fact, I have a friend as we speak that is on a cruise, UH with his family, and they tried to get us to go, and it I feel bad because you know, we like and we like traveling with them, and our kids are really close with their kids, and they're they're they're great, great friends. And it's my buddy who I've known for no joke, thirty years. But you know, I was the reason that we didn't we didn't take this vacation because you know, I just know that I wouldn't. I mean, I'd survive, but I would be you know, I'd be terrified. And I know what people are thinking. I want a whimp. You'll get you'll you know, you'll be fine, Like you'll you'll realize it's nothing, and like you may be right. But I don't have here. I am as a man admitting to you, I don't have the courage to at least test it out, because, uh, I can just see me having a panic attack and calling nine to one one. Oh, I can't call not on one, there's no cell service. Send the helicopter to get me, to get me out of here. Also, when I went to Cabo a couple of years ago, I witnessed one of the cruise ships and this is what they do, and it's actually really convenient, but it was another reminder, yeah, I'm content on not going on cruises. It was where you kind of like, I don't know how, you like repelled down off the side of the cruise ship. In some way you're safe, but you get on like a little many boat and they take you so like the cruise doesn't dock, but they'll come and get you if you want to go to the town wherever they're close to and like do excursions and stuff, and just that whole thing scared the hell out of me. But again I'm in the minority. Clearly, cruise ships and cruises are very popular. But yeah, how about that Dad. I mean again, I'm sure he's just counting his blessings that his daughter's safe and they're both safe. But I don't know. I mean, there's no way he snapped back to reality at after such an experience like that. But again, that could have been tragic. But Dad's a hero. All right. We've got another update of traffick and weather coming your way right here, and again pay attention to the weather, to the traffic updates, folks, and weather too, by the way, because we got a sloppy start that's led to a lot of accidents here in the Kentucky area. It is consuckyated. It's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas Mayor Greenberg is set to talk a little later on this morning, I believe at ten or eleven. In regards to the recent attempted street takeovers in Nulu, it was the Highlands last month and now we've got I guess three straight weekends where in Newlu there have been attempts to take over the streets. It's led to a lot of police presence where they've got to intervene some businesses I believe have shut down and hotel entrances were blocked, which of course can be problematic to say the least. So I do think the last few weeks of sniffing it out early, meaning LMPD, either relying on tips or just being savvy and knowing where it's going to take place and shutting it down before it gets to being super chaotic, that I think is a positive sign that it's not led to it getting out of hand. But I just think resources being utilized by law enforcement every week to be on alert of it tempted takeovers. I mean, that's not sustainable. So we'll hear from Mayor Greenberg a little bit later on Today it's five forty seven here Kentucky in this morning news on news Radio eight forty whas I think Caitlyn Clark has well. First of all, I'll just say this because I'm itching to shere a sports opinion, because I don't do that whole lot anymore. But I think Kaitlyn Clark, as of right now is the best women's basketball player that I've ever watched, and she could stop playing today and I would believe that. And obviously, when it comes to accomplishments. I mean, she's in her second season as a pro, so the accomplishments wouldn't be there, and they may not be right. Who knows how many w NBA titles she wins, or if she even wins one at all, or if the WNBA exists in years I mean, it probably will. But my point is I just I've watched her play enough and she is She's special, which is why she is one of the most talked about athletes in the world, regardless of gender and regardless of sport. That's not how purble, that's not an exaggeration. I don't care who you are. If you don't know who Caitlin Clark is. As far as just hearing the name and knowing who people are talking about, you must be living under a rock. And by the way, as I say that, I'm looking at Woky and they're talking about her right now because she's worthy of news because she has that much she just commands that much attention, and it's just rare for a women's basketball player to have this type of fame and it's just something I've never seen before. And again, I think there's a variety of factors. One because she's so good. But to see that the WNBA players, when it comes to the All Star voting, they have I guess they've got fan voting, media voting, and then player voting. That is how you get your weighted score as far as the w NBA All Stars, and she was number one in fan vote, which shoudn't surprise anybody, but she was ninth in player voting, and that's at her position. And if that doesn't can mean I don't believe that. In fact, it's laughable that professionals, grown ups are filling out this ballad as players. Meaning I don't know if it's done online or what it is, but they can't with a straight face tell you that they believe she's the ninth best guard in the WNBA. So this, to me confirms what I have unfortunately been witnessing for for a little while now, the delusion that exists within the WNBA. I mean, that's that's flat out delusion, And I don't believe that they believe it, but their inability to just acknowledge that this superstar has given you exposure that you would have never received had it not been for her just being this special. You don't need to kiss her rear end. But the jealousy is just, oh, it is showing, and it's just it's it's hilarious because here's klen Clark could leave the WNBA starter her own league and it would instantly be more successful than the WNBA. And that's really not anybody's fault. I don't think the WNBA collectively does itself many favors as far as growing the game, but I couldn't. I was speechless when I saw that the peers of Kaitlin Clark in the WNBA thinks she's the ninth best guard in the in the league. I mean laughable, laughable. All right, we got an update on traving the weather coming your way. Also another update on sports was Scott Fitzgerald right here on news radio eight forty WHS