Speaker 1: If a four year old saw a doctor cutting open his mom with a knife, that four year old might think that the doctor was evil.
Speaker 2: But once that child.
Speaker 1: Understands that his mom has cancer and the doctor was actually performing surgery to save her life, his perception might change. This is how many believers explain the way that evil we read about in their sacred text. We don't have the full picture, okay, but wouldn't that work the other way around. Imagine the same four year old sees a nurse walks into his mom's hospital room carrying balloons and a cup of ice cream.
Speaker 2: That child, the nurse is good to that child.
Speaker 1: What he doesn't know is that the nurse is a disgruntled employee who isn't even supposed to be in the room. And while his mom is distracted by the ice cream, the nurse injects a deadly poison into her iv and suddenly the goodness that child perceived was actually a necessary step or something horrific. So if our limited human perspective means we can't look at seemingly evil actions and conclude that God is evil, how can we look at seemingly good actions and conclude that God is good for all? We know those seemingly good things could be a cosmic distraction or a necessary stepping stone towards something grand, incomprehensible disaster in the distant future. So with that being said, let's have a real discussion about the morality of your God and skip the antiques. If you're going to tell me that your God is perfectly good, loving, just, and worthy of worship, then I think I'm allowed to look at that God's behavior and ask by what moral standard. Power doesn't automatically equal goodness. Authority doesn't automatically equal morality, and worship doesn't make an action ethical. So tonight I want to talk about the morality of the God's people worship and whether we're actually judging their actions by our moral standard or simply giving them an exemption from one. If you disagree with the statement and don't believe your God is a moral monster, call in and tell us why. Or maybe you agree with us and would like to share why, call in or request up on TikTok.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, thinker.
Speaker 1: This is the atheist experience, and the show starts right now.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, everybody.
Speaker 1: That is such a beautiful audience out there.
Speaker 3: I know there's a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so excited, beautiful. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Today is today is August sixteenth, twenty twenty six, and we want to welcome all of you to the Atheist Experience.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining us. I'm your host.
Speaker 1: Thinker and joining me right now is Godless Engineer.
Speaker 2: How are you doing today, guys?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm hot. It is hot out here. At least it's not human which is what it usually is in Alabama and that's where you drown just in you know, the open air. But yeah, it's hot. I've been outside, you know, talking with everybody, just enjoying the community and everything, and it's been great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is my first time in Austin, and I must say that it is a it's a beautiful city.
Speaker 2: It's not as hot as everybody told me.
Speaker 1: Like it's gonna be one hundred and twelve degrees and as soon as you get there, like you might become dehydrated. Make sure you have a fan around your neck because like all the water in your body's gonna like dry up. I was so terrified.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my wife. Luckily, I have my wife here with me, and she's been keeping water like in front of me the entire time, like, don't get to drink, don't forget to drink.
Speaker 2: That's good, that's good.
Speaker 1: I would say Austin is a very interesting place and I definitely want to come back more often. I enjoyed meeting a lot of people in the ACA community. Yesterday was the famous back cruise and we had a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I learned a lot about bats.
Speaker 1: I learned a lot about bats, and I've been asking everybody, like, what is the obsession that Austin.
Speaker 2: Has with bats? What's the obsession? Do you know?
Speaker 3: I actually I have no idea. Sorry, I was waiting to get up there on TikTok. I don't know what the obsession with bats is, although I am a batman fan, so I mean, I don't know if maybe that's it, But definitely bats are an interesting you know, I guess a group of organisms. Maybe it stems from the Bible, where the Bible labels them as birds, do you know?
Speaker 1: I thought about that all day yesterday, Like every time I learned something new about the bats, I was thinking to myself, like, how could God get this wrong and label these.
Speaker 2: Creatures as birds?
Speaker 1: Like there's so many different types of bats, Like I did. How did Jesus get that wrong?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can only imagine that. You know, I don't have a good answer to like, if he's omniscient, he should know, but he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe a Christian will tell us. I don't know, but yeah. So we're streaming live today from the Free Thought Library in front of a live studio audience, and we want to thank you for being here, and if you weren't able to be with us today, then make sure that you set a reminder for next year to join us in Austin, because I will definitely be here. We are also try streaming today, so big shout out to our viewers on TikTok and YouTube mobile. If you're watching us on TikTok tonight and you want to talk to us, then request up to join and we'll bring you right on up on stage. And please make sure that you are at least eighteen years of age or older before doing so. The Atheist Experience is a product of the Atheist Community of Austin, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of atheism, critical thinking, secular humanism, and the separation of religion and government.
Speaker 2: This means that you can give us.
Speaker 1: A tax free donation as many as you want in fact, and know that not only is it going to a good cause, but also that it helps you too.
Speaker 2: So we are the lines are.
Speaker 1: Open if you would like to call in and explain to us why your God is not a moral monster, because I am one hundred percent convinced that, in fact he is. Give us a call at five one two nine nine two four to two, or visit ACA dot show for a slash call. So, God, lets tell me when you first started, because you were a Christian before, right, so when you first started deconstructing or moving towards atheism, was morality of the God a decision maker for you?
Speaker 3: Not at all?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so when I was a Christian, I didn't really give too many thoughts about, like at least critical thoughts about what's in the Bible and how the Bible presents the Christian God as far as morality. It goes like really critically analyzing, uh, the God of the Bible and his morals. Because I did that thing. And it's something that I've come to notice with a lot of people out there now is that they they create a romanticized version of both God and Jesus in their heads, and they attribute their own moral foundations and their their moral uh conclusions and everything like that to that particularly romanticized figure, and so they just end up taking on whatever kind of moral you know, uh, moral conclusions or moral positions that you have, and that ends up just being kind of their position.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So I never, I never, you know, was bigoted towards LGBTQ people, even though I had, you know, that kind of thrown in my face all the time, and it was definitely uh you know, and I guess intrinsically taught to me, or it was it was ingrained in me, uh you know, the the misogyny as well as homophobian and everything like that growing up, as you know, says hat white man in the South. That was just something that I was exposed to, and I didn't realize until later that some of those concepts were that way. But it was kind of like I was always at odds with myself because I never had a problem, but at the same time, like I'd been taught these things, So it's kind of like a little bit of cognitive dissonance there that I usually resolved with like just being a good person and just not really understanding the connection to religion that it had.
Speaker 1: Really, I can understand that I don't even remember the word morals or morality coming up in any sermon whatsoever. And it wasn't until I started deconstructing and having these types of conversations that people started actually identifying.
Speaker 2: The be good people as morals.
Speaker 1: And I find that when I talk to a lot of believers that they don't know what the knowledge of good and evil is in the garden, and they don't realize that that's talking about a moral conscience. And my biggest question is like, if your God is so moral and is so concerned.
Speaker 2: With your morality, why would.
Speaker 1: He would Why does his story start off with him commanding humanity not to gain the ability right to assess their own morality? And I think the reason for that is because the God isn't moral, and the God like wants you to anything that the God commands or does, you have to see it as good or evil if that doctrine says that it is right.
Speaker 2: So like you talk about the LGBTQI.
Speaker 1: A community, if the God of a specific religion says that being gay is immoral, then you have to adopt that because you are just a believer.
Speaker 2: There's a you know, a follower.
Speaker 1: Of the God, and you just do whatever they say, what the doctrine says, right, because you can't decide that on your own now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that a lot of Christian out there, they don't exactly think too deeply about what the religion actually says. I think that a lot of them have been indoctrinated with a sense of divine command theory just simply that God says that it's this way. And I've heard it so many times out there where people are like, well, I'm not saying this, God is saying that it's wrong to be you know, homosexual, or God says that it's wrong to whatever position they want to want to support right there, And so they use it as a shield in order to protect themselves from accountability. And I feel like, you know, that's kind of what a lot of the moral like, some of the moral considerations of the apologetic surrounding the argument for morality for God kind of centers around is just you know, not having to take moral accountability for the shitty opinions that you hold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's the gape goat for the God of the Bible, God of christanity typically right is that it doesn't have to be held accountable because it's not a human and is not it can't be judged by our human standments. But yet we as humans have to speak for the God right standard right because you can't do that with your human brain. And it's like, well, what brain are you using? Right to like, whose brain are you using? Well, God told me this, you were able to access a God's brain. And this is the biggest issue that I have when if when people say that God is a creator of life, therefore God is has all right and soleign power to take life, and they give that reason for a God commanding humans to go into another land and slaughter those humans, and they say, well, God has a right to do that.
Speaker 2: Then to me, that proposes a problem for.
Speaker 1: Morality as a whole when it comes to humanity, right, then it makes morality random. Any person could say, well, God talked to me and told me to execute divine judgment on these this group of people because they're not living the way God says live, And then that person is then.
Speaker 2: Held liable by the law in our world, the.
Speaker 1: Human world, And a judge says, well, you don't have a way to prove that God told you to do that, right, You have no way of showing any evidence that God told you to execute divine justice. But we're supposed to accept that same reason when we're discussing Samuel telling Saul that God told him to execute judgment. It doesn't hold up in our world, why should it hold up in the world of the belief right? You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It looks like we do have somebody in the guest request over there on the TikTok that we can pull up real quick. They may be a friendly though.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, let's see.
Speaker 1: Flowy, Yeah, we got you are.
Speaker 3: I didn't mean to come up.
Speaker 2: It's okay, friendly, Sorry, no worries. We'll take you to have a good one.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks, all right, all right, she said, oh no, but but yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh so. You know, one thing that I find with the whole uh moral argument is that they always want to portray it as having like some kind of objective moral standard, right, just because they're appealing to God's standard or something like that. But what I find is that by them trying to appeal to God's standard, it really causes them to deviate away from any kind of like human centered standard. You fail to, you know, take into account how your moral actions or your moral conclusions affect your fellow man, and instead you're just doing things to appease the wizard in the sky that you know, you think is going to punish you if you don't follow his rules, which I mean, honestly, I prefer to go the harder route of, you know, making the determination about how my actions affect other people, not whether or not some magical Merlin and magical Merlin's oxymoron, you know, the masterful Merlin that exists in the sky.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I feel like focusing on what appeases that particular figure just is an easy way to dehumanize people in your community as well as just in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think that's the only time that a lot of believers do it right. They don't expect that same type of standard when it has to do with their own actions, but when they're wanting to dictate the way another person lives, right, I don't think believers go around thinking that is okay for another person to get a command from a god that says, kick your child out the house, or you know, go and murder you know, these group of people because they're different and they're not living according to which is why I say a lot of I would love to talk to a believer that can help me understand why we should see divine command theory as acceptable when we're talking about these stories in their sacred text, and why it's not why they know it's not acceptable and our reality right in our objective reality, right, you know, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: Think that we got a question from the audience, so can we go to that question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, all right, all right.
Speaker 6: First of all, welcome to Austin. I hope you all enjoying your say. So, I was wondering, regardless of God's actual character, do you think religion is a useful tool in any case for getting people who would otherwise be unvirtuous or wicked even to sort of be more moral because the God said so at fear of divine punishment.
Speaker 1: I think it has done that, you know, no more than jail has, you know, stopped people from committing crimes because they don't want to lose their freedom. Religion has definitely been able been used to shape different behaviors in society as humanity grew and learn how to live in communities. Whether or not it's still a needed tool for the majority of humanity, I don't think so. But I do think that unfortunately, some adults are immature and still need that parent or that that ruler to keep them from harming another person. But I think if anything, one our criminal justice system, if we focus more on rehabilitating people who have those desires, rehabilitating their their thoughts and their ideas, and then also therapy pushing more so, like getting to the root of why a person wants to, you know, cause another person harm and and for some of those people you may have to keep them separate from uh other people. But I do think that religion has served its purpose in that in that area, But I don't think it's necessary to keep going now.
Speaker 3: I I think that anything that can be accomplished by you know, using religion in order to affect that is going to be better accomplished by, you know, taking a more either secular humanist route or just humans route in general. It doesn't have to be secular necessarily. It can be sort of a theistic sort of humanism. But I think that humanism, I would think, would be a better route to go. I mean, sure, that there are there are people out there with certain you know, I guess mental illnesses might be the better or the accurate way to represent that that, you know, whether psychopaths or sociopaths or however that's classified now. I think that you could still appeal to them using humanism as a sort of a rigid rule set, as opposed to having to threaten them with, you know, either eternal damnation or use religion in some kind of subversive way. I think that the more honest that you can be about something, the better off somebody is going to be.
Speaker 1: I think really like in today's world that is it really the fear of hell that's stopping people from harming another person? Or is it just that they're saying right that it is because at the end of the day, like I said, a person can say all day God told me to go over there and kill this person. They know they're gonna have to face the judges, right the law of the land, and regardless of what Jesus Joseph Jarra told you.
Speaker 2: The law is going to you know, lock you up.
Speaker 1: If you know you go to trial, God isn't going to be able to get you out of that. And so I think like people can make the claim that religion has you know, stopped them from committing a violent crime, but in reality, like I think, we have justice, criminal justice systems and laws established that are probably a lot more powerful and convincing people not to do dumb shit.
Speaker 3: So, uh, you know, I guess that kind of that made me think of the whole idea of atheists just want to sin, Like they always make it out to be like atheists or atheists because they want to sin. They don't want to be held to any kind of standard by God or anything like that. And I find that that's such a bullshit thing to say about atheists, especially when you consider how many Christians out there freely sin perfectly fine and they just ask for forgiveness.
Speaker 1: Have you ever asked them, like, what sin can I commit as an atheist that you can't commit as a Christian?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And what do they say?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, They're always obviously they're going to be like, well, no, we've all sinned and fallen short in the glory of God.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: They can never point out any specific sin that is, you know, something that they want to do, unless they can be misogynistic or homophobic, either one of those two things. They'll act like, oh, it's because you know, you want to be gay or you want to support the LGBTQ community or something like that. Like they always want to paint it as one of those you know, sort of like a signpost sort of you know issue.
Speaker 1: That's just them saying, my sin is not like your sin is bigger than mine. That's all I ever hear when they say stuff like that. And I always take them to Proverbs six sixteen through nineteen, where it literally says that it lists the seven things that are an abomination. It includes lying, like, it includes committing adultriy. So like, I always take them to that and I ask like, why is your abomination less than this abomination? And so like they there is no sin that an atheist would need to not worship their God or believe in their God to commit that they can't commit, so it doesn't make any logical sense. Y.
Speaker 3: I typically will come back and I'll ask them, like, you know, basically, is there any sin that's too grave other than of course offending the Holy Spirit? Is there any sin that is too great for Jesus to forgive? And you know, obviously they're like, no, there's not there's not any kind of sin that's that's too great. You know, all sin can be forgiven. And so it always confuses me because it's like, Okay, well, if any sin can be forgiven besides the one that I've already definitely committed, then it seems like that's not the motivation, Like how can that be the motivating factor?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just not. It doesn't make any sense, And I don't see a reason for. Like, what I don't understand is what is making them agree with the moral issues of the God in the Bible, Like what's making a person say God has a right to kill if he wants to, or God has a right to say he's impartial but actually be partially if he wants to right. And I think it's because a lot of believers don't really know what morality is. And I don't think that they actually it's almost like they have a ready made package of morality and they don't have to build their more framework themselves. Their pastors build the moral framework for them and tell them this is right, this is wrong, you do this, you do that, and they are.
Speaker 2: Comfortable with that. They don't want to do the hard work.
Speaker 3: I think no I really don't think that they do want to do the hard work. And I mean I think that it's just because it's easier just to you know, blame God essentially, like just say, oh, well God says this, therefore that's bad, you know, kind of thing like it. To me, it always comes across as just generally lazy, like lazy thinking, not necessarily that they can't do it. But some people, and I've been you know, I've succumbed to this too, is just you know, falling into lazy thinking, just allowing somebody else to do the thinking for me. And I think that that's really easy to fall into, just allowing somebody else to tell you what to do, what to think, what to say. But you know, as part of my deconstruction, I decided that I was not going to allow that. Like again, like I fell into lazy thinking. I just believed what I was told. I you know, believed everything that I was told to believe. And so when I came out of that, I was like, well, I'm not going to just fall into that anymore. I'm actually going to critically, you know, consider what I believe, why I believe it, have good reasons for believing in the things that I do.
Speaker 1: I think too, because they believe that they can go and get forgiveness.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: And so if this thing is allowing you to do harmful or bad things and still be seen or claim to be good, right, and this same thing that is supposed to be good does things that are seemingly not good, but because of the authority of it, you can say, Nope, that's good because God did it. This is the same entity that you can go to when you do harmful things and ask the God to forgive you, right, and you get forgiveness.
Speaker 2: That why not defend it?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 1: It's the thing that's making you look good despite the harm that you do, despite the bad that you do. And so I think a lot of them defend that because that's the benefit that they get from it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: There's a prompt that I run on my show that says, Jesus's unlimited sin, unlimited forgiveness, abundant grace contract is bad for humanity. And they always come up and they go, it's not unlimited sin. And I say, I say, oh, is it unlimited forgiveness?
Speaker 2: And they'll go yep.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Oh, if it's unlimited forgiveness, then there's an opportunity for unlimited sin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't understand if there's not unlimited If there is unlimited forgiveness, then there how can there be not be limited sin? Like, it doesn't make it an kind of sense because if there's a limited forgiveness, then automatically you've got it doesn't matter how many sins you commit, you know exactly.
Speaker 1: And so they typically get mad at me and start cussing me out because they've never thought about the fact that they've signed up for this agreement that says, hey, here's a blank check no matter what sin you commit, how many unless you talk about me. This is the thing that makes me say that the God of the Bible is just immoral, because Jesus says, hey, no matter what you do to a human I'm going to forgive you, but you better not talk about my ghost like that.
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna forgive you. Right.
Speaker 1: So he's like, here's a blank check for whatever you do to any human being, whatever you do to yourself, and I'm going to forgive you. And they have not realized that that's the contract that they're in.
Speaker 2: Most of them don't know that they're in a contract, right, They think.
Speaker 1: Covenant is like a spiritual word or something, but like most of them don't know that they're in an agreement that says I will I will forgive you for whatever whatever sin.
Speaker 2: You can come to me repent.
Speaker 1: And they say, well, you're supposed to turn from your ways. You're supposed to, But is there a requirement that says that if you don't, you can't get forgiveness.
Speaker 3: Again, No, I mean there's really not. I mean, well, I do know that that some people have come back at me and been like, well, repentance requires real repent, like God knows in your heart, so like if you keep committing the same sin, then He's going to stop forgiving you. But I mean again that that just ends up being very confusing with the supposed like mercifulness of God and Jesus and everything. And I find that you get into a lot of different ways that you can pretzel, you know, in those particular concepts. I do want to remind people out there that if you're watching on YouTube, either on the vertical stream or the horizontal stream, you can call in by dialing five one two nine one one, I'm too for two or hitting up that link over there. I think it's a c A dot show forward slash call AXP or call it's just call sorry, just call.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: You can hit up those links and you'll be able to call and talk to us if you disagree with anything that we're talking about here today, like God being a moral monster. Now thinker, I'm kind of curious, what do you think is like one of the biggest things in God's came in and slash Jesus. I've been I've been trying to affix Jesus to these rather shitty things here, like yeah, yeah, same here. But Christians tend to take high offense to labeling. Are saddling Jesus with the atrocities of God in the Old Testament, And I'm just kind of curious, what's the what's the the moral monstery kind of thing that that Jesus slash God is commanded or done?
Speaker 2: Well? One he called a canaanie woman a dog, right.
Speaker 3: That's the one I like to bring up the most because because you could easily frame it to where they immediately take offense. It's like, oh, yeah, Jesus is so great. Why did he call a woman a bitch and make her beg right? It's like, oh, Jesus didn't do that. It's like, oh, do you want to read the scripture?
Speaker 2: Say she was a puppy. It was a puppy. It's like he called her his pet.
Speaker 1: But also the stealing of the donkey, right, they a lot of believers will say, well, everything belongs to God.
Speaker 2: He stole a.
Speaker 1: Donkey, and he taught his He taught his disciples how to appeal to authority to steal somebody else's shit, right, because he's like, hey, say these words, like if somebody asks you what you're doing, just say these words, like the lord needs it. Like he's appealing to the word lord. Like anybody could have been a lord at that time. You have the landlords, you had the Roman centurions, you had the.
Speaker 2: Roman Empress. Like he just says, say these words.
Speaker 1: He was being slick and manipulative, put it to authorities to take somebody else's shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he taught them how to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, and and you know that's going to be labeled as something that's good. You got to agree that that stealing teachings, especially teaching somebody to steal another person shit, Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I always like to juxtapose that against like it's like, well, I using secular humanism or you know, just humanism in general. I can explain to you why that's bad or detrimental, you know, but can you do the same, Like and I find that Christians, they they try to justify it, but then you there's all It's kind of like there's always a Bible verse. There's always a Bible verse that you can break out, like with the donkey or with any other atrocity in the Old Testament. You can always break it out, and you can always be like, well, he did it here, so you know, why not why not there? Or why not now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a lot of them don't know. Oh, we haven't had the question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got a question from the audience. So let's cube up over there at the audience. What's up?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Hey, how's it going. You know, a lot of what we talk about with with god moral monster and like a more personal level can lead towards like, maybe that's not a God. I want to believe in an atheism, And then you start seeing it in terms of turning into like more of an anti theist when you see how that moral monster gets into systems institutions and such. And I was having some conversations with someone at the bat Crees yesterday about being anti theist or kind of the problems of bringing God into all these institutions and systems. And I could agree with all the problems, all the moral failings, but I come from a very large family. I have very good relations in my family. Most of them are really good except this thing, and they really are promoting this and pushing it, and I had this internal wall that comes up, and I'm like, I want to be anti theist.
Speaker 3: I want to have a problem with so I wanted not support it. Oh crap.
Speaker 9: That means I now have a big conflict with my family and I don't know what to do with that, and I kind of like get halted by it. So it's like, I don't know, I'm just kind of like relating to that. I can agree with everything here, but I'm like, ah, crap, Like what do I do with that when I don't necessarily want to cut off my family because of it. I just wanted to see if you gotta had any thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess how how egregious is it? Because like it Kim like there's a there's a difference in like just maybe a more minor moral issue that could come up, or there's like, hey, trans people should die. Like there's like a varying degrees there. I guess, So is which end of the spectrum is that on? More on the other end? Oh okay, all right, yeah, well I mean for me at least? Uh, Well, I actually think or what do you what do you think?
Speaker 4: First? Sorry?
Speaker 2: Far go ahead as far as what to do, well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess what? Uh and correct me if I'm wrong. But I think it's like, how do you breach a conversation or approach family members that are holding those very detrimental moral positions without you know, completely cutting off that family, Like, how can you find some kind of way to I guess, you know, I guess draw a peaceful line in the sand, or approach them in a way that you can hope to affect change.
Speaker 1: So I caution giving advice in that way because everybody's family is different.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 1: How you set boundaries in the way you are willing to enforce those boundaries is different. Because I have had to cut family off, and we've blocked each other for months, two years even, and everybody isn't willing to do that, right, And so it really depends on you, and if you're a but to set boundaries with your family and explain to them that you don't agree with a specific belief that they hold and how they treat a specific group of people, and if they want to be around you, then they cannot be saying the things that they say. They cannot be mistreating people. And if they don't stop doing it, then you have to be the one to enforce that boundary and actually remove yourself because you can state it. And the more you allow them to say it to be around you and doing it, then they're not gonna stop it. They're not gonna take that, take it serious.
Speaker 2: And I'm not.
Speaker 1: Anti theists, like I don't really give a fuck of a person believes in a god or not.
Speaker 2: I care more what they believe the God is saying to them, and.
Speaker 1: You know, the morality, right, like the belief sysm that they hold and how they treat humans and how it affects our objective reality. I think a person, if a person doesn't believe in a god, that to yourself and stop trying to force me to.
Speaker 2: Accept it as my truth.
Speaker 1: I mean it would be good if everybody started believing in things that are true and you know, focus on that. But I'm not necessarily anti theist. I don't think I've gotten there yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean I would consider myself to be an anti theist, but that also doesn't preclude me from like working with religious people or being nice to religious people. I think that it really depends on what the issue is and where your personal line is. I definitely think that you should, you know, have a boundary and make that boundary clearly known about, you know, certain issues. If it's something that is very personal to you or very important to you, you know, make that decision for yourself if you want to really broach that. But I would also ask, like some if they are holding those particular positions that are so detrimental or you find that they are very detrimental, do you. I guess, in my opinion, I personally don't want to interact with those individuals, even if they are part of my family. But I know that that's you know, very personal to me. It's you know, I'm not going to tell you not to interact with them or whatnot. You could be on the inside track of those things. And be able to change their mind about stuff. There have been certain issues that I've encountered in my life where I've been able to change people's minds about stuff, and that's through a careful conversation. I would definitely suggest watching some street epistemology or learning from some street epistemological methods there for you know, broaching those kinds of conversations, because they have this uncanny ability to have those difficult conversations without really you know, causing those kinds of riffs. So it is possible if you want to try to change them, but it's also okay if you want to cut them out. But again, like Thinker said, I mean, that's you know something You've got to make yourself, a decision that you got to make for yourself. You got to decide what your boundaries are. But once you figure out what those boundaries are, I would highly suggest you sticking to your boundaries and having enough self respect for yourself to stick to those boundaries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think guys, we still have folk lines open. This is kind of interesting that, Like when I talk about how when my daughter came out to me and my family wanted to talk to her, and I had to say no, like, she's my daughter. I want to make sure that you know, there's nothing put into her mind that's going to make her hate herself.
Speaker 2: And I had to set that boundary.
Speaker 1: But like there's my family is accepting now where they used to be very you know, believing that homosexuality was a sin and you know, condemning it every chance they got.
Speaker 2: But we have several people in our family who are the LGBT.
Speaker 1: Community and the treatment that they would have gotten years ago, the family is except accepting of them.
Speaker 2: And they're not trying to like.
Speaker 1: Call them every day and say, you know, you're going to hell if you don't. You know, it's hey, how is your day? And you know, we love their their spouses, they've had children, and it's like John said, being the change that they get to see, if that makes sense, Like your difference is gonna it's gonna be what makes a difference.
Speaker 2: So yeah, allowing yourself to be different so that they can see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to a reminder for everybody, we do have open lines. Like like like Thinker said, the number is five one two nine nine to one nine two four two, or you can hit up the ACA Dot Show for a slash call if you want to call in and interact with us on whether or not you think God is a moral monster. If you're over there on TikTok, you can request up easily if you would like to talk with us about why your God is not a moral monster or why you think that maybe you have a definition of God that you know, escapes those criticisms that we've been talking about today. But it looks like we do have another audience question out there. What's up out their audience?
Speaker 5: Hi, how's it going. I think you guys really hit the nail on the head earlier when you were talking about, you know, what happens when God commands you know, these ancient people to go into Ad and kill all the people there. And how do Christians today look at that, Like what type of you know, mental gymnastics do they have to do to say, Okay, that was cool because God said so. And they kind of say and you, like you said, they come up with this idea like, well, God created us, so he has the right to take us out of this world. And I feel like there's so many things in the Bible, like as in you know, we're born, we can do about it and where requires how vintion and like that's like, no matter what we're going to send, we can't not sin. And that's like a biblical principle. I'm like, well, that's like kind of unfare. We don't have a chance. And then if you ask them to think about it, they don't really have a good answer. And I was always told as a Christian, like Isaiah fifty five eight and nine, like God's ways are higher than our ways. We can't understand that, And that's the principle they really anchor in on. And I'm just asking. I'm like, I hope at the end of the day, Christians have to like admit nothing about what they say makes sense to them. They have to always say, well, God said it. I can't reasonably understand why, but God does, so that I'm going to shut my brain off and then accept that. And I'm just like, you just have to check your brain to be at that point. You know, I don't know if you guys what you thought of that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, definitely, there's another prompt that I'm running on my channel.
Speaker 2: What do believers have against thinking?
Speaker 1: And that's it right there, right Like they're afraid that they're going to thank themselves out of faith by like logically thinking about these more dilemmas. Today, I had a conversation with a believer, loudmouthflow girl, but she like literally we were talking about whether or not the God of the Bible is deceptive and like he literally says in Ezekiel fourteen nine, if a prophet is deceived, and like, you can just imagine him holding in his hand of I the Lord have deceived that prophet, like he's making a declaration.
Speaker 2: It was me, if this prophet speaks a deceiving word, I did it.
Speaker 1: And she fought tooth and nail to not accept that it was you know, her God, admitting that he was and can be deceptive, that he can give a false prophecy intentionally.
Speaker 2: She wanted to focus on the.
Speaker 1: Why, and mind you, before we before she started focus on the why, I warned her. I said, hey, I have these conversations for three years now. Believers typically try to focus on the why and not the what. And I said, remember what we're investigating right now is the what, and the what is can God lie?
Speaker 2: And she said, I know, I'm not like all those other Christians. They're ignorant.
Speaker 1: I'm not and then when she gets to the logical and tellment that the God can lie and does, she crashes out and she just focuses on it's judgment.
Speaker 2: She went as far as even changing the meaning of the word answer.
Speaker 1: When he says I will answer them myself, the answer no longer meant speak and meant judge, Like she changed the definition of what the word means. And it's because they are afraid that they're going to thank themselves out of a God.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I think the thing that you're really honing in on there is cognitive dissonance and how cognitive dissonance is resolved in a person, because I feel like when people encounter those things that are, you know, counter to what they understand and know, like God is good, you know that simple statement. If they encounter some thing in the Old Testament that seems to be counter to that, like Exodus twenty one seven, where the father can sell his daughter into sexual slavery to another man or the man's son or whatever, you know, that's obviously going to cause some kind of issue with a believer who thinks that God is good all the time, and all the time, God is good, and they're typically what I've noticed is that they will go to just tossing out the information that's contradictory to what they know that God is good, and they rely on what they've been indoctrinated into, and that's essentially, well, you know, it's God, So you can't criticize God like I'm just a lowly human and what's my criticism. I don't have anything to stand. Kind of goes back to the whole moral argument about well, you don't really have a standard just to ground your moral judgments on right, like you don't. You can't really say that, so like you can't say that sexual sexual trafficking little girls in number thirty one eighteen is a bad thing. You can't say that. But obviously we can ground that in various ways as atheists. But what I think is a stark contrast is that they actually can't ground that as being bad like you can't. They can't coherently argue that that's a bad thing to do as long as with a caveat, you know, as long as God says to do it, then.
Speaker 2: It's And that's what I was saying in the opening.
Speaker 1: If we can't ground in our morals and say that it's bad for the God to tell them to sex traffic children. Then likewise they can't ground it in goodness? Right if because we are humans and our cognitive abilities are limited, right in, our understanding is limited because not a god. Neither can we then say that we understand him enough to say that he's good?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 1: It doesn't make sense. By what grounds are they able to say that the that the God is good?
Speaker 3: Oh well, I mean God told us himself that he's like, I am good. Don't worry about it. I am good, I promise you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's what I would love for them to. I don't know, I think they tend to get scared of my ass when I whenever I feel like I feel like there's some religious guy that usually talks loud in my comments, sitting there watching and going I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna go, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I mean, I mean, I can't I can't understand how you be intimidating. No, no, no, I mean I've seen your lives, and I mean I think that, uh, you know, if somebody comes up with a whole bunch of bullshit and they're trying to spend that bullshit in your direction. I mean, you're sure to put him in their place, so, I mean, and I'm sure that they're like I would do it, but I don't feel like having my ass handed to me today.
Speaker 1: No, But seriously, that's the biggest question that I have, Like, I have a lot of questions surrounding the belief system, and when it comes to morality, I understand why they're demoralizing themselves and defending the God because they believe that they are, you know, just puny humans with no say on the decisions that the God makes. I don't understand why they ignore the human being giving the command while they say divine command theory.
Speaker 2: I don't understand that.
Speaker 1: And then I don't understand how they feel that they can then say that that it's good what the God does if they feel like because they're humans, they can't say that's bad.
Speaker 2: Like why does it only work one way? But I don't think I'll ever get that, No, I mean.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot of things will never be answerable other than just the you know, the the claims of the tautologies that they throw, you know, in that direction, hoping to you know, be sufficient answers, just like you know, just the claim that God is good, and then that's it seems like that's where they start from. Instead of like actually critically analyzing whatever kind of moral u situation coming to any kind of moral decision, they don't. They don't actually analyze the moral conundrum that's at their at their hand, at their fingertips. That what they do is they start with, well, God is good. What did God say to do? Oh he said to stab little kids in the face and to slice their throats. Okay, well, then I guess that's good. And then they start with the apologetics. I mean, you've got people like William Lane Craig who, for ten plus years, I mean, it seems to be part of his fundamental, like a fundamental part of his position that it's good to kill pagan babies because they'll at least go to heaven because they're not raised up into a pagan society, just not even considering the fact that like, like even a slightly better plan in this situation would be to, oh, well, you can, you know, go to war with them and capture people, capture the kids, and then raise the kids in your own society, right, I mean, kids that young, they're not gonna remember shit, and so like that is like that's still a horrible solution, but at least you're not, you know, having the Israelites like slaughter children.
Speaker 4: We see.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of them are just like they accept they watch these YouTube videos, right, accept these apologetics, and they don't they stop thinking. They don't think any further than that, right, because when they say, oh, William Lane Greg said it's okay to kill Pagan babies because they're going to go to heaven, and then you say, oh, okay, that's the moral standards you hope, So then likely today you're saying it's okay to kill Muslim babies because they're going to go to heaven or and then oh uh, it was okay for what the early Christians did when they went onto the continent of America and enslaved people and killed babies because they were paying, downgraded them to savages because they were paying.
Speaker 2: So then you were saying that you agree with all that. Then they go, no, that was wrong, that wasn't true Christianity. Wait wait, you just said that it was right. Like they don't think any further.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do get a question from the crowd, but I do want to remind people that we have full lines open. So if you want to call in the numbers five one two nine nine two two, or you can hit up in your your in your in your in your browser there ACA dot show Ford slash call. You'll be able to talk to us if you're over there on TikTok request up. We've been talking a whole bunch of mad shit about your God. I'm sure that you're pretty steamy in there in the chat there. Instead of being a keyboard warrior, request up and actually directly talked to us. So, uh, we got a question from the crowd. What's up there?
Speaker 2: Crowd?
Speaker 3: Hi, y'all doing.
Speaker 11: Hey, it's lively out here. So I just wanted to get your thoughts on something that I heard preached actually at a church down the street from here recently, and it's about it's very common that people from a Christian background will understand Romans one as telling you what the thoughts of a non believer are, right, what happens inside the head of a non believer, somebody that rejects God. You can find all about it in Romans one. The problem is is if you read this and I'm curious what you guys think I've never read Romans one and then found a person in existence that meets the criteria of how horrible a person this it can actually be. So just to skim down it a little bit, there you get a whole section about godlessness and wickedness going together, and we can debate that what do we call wicked? What do we call godless? Yeah, sure there's the we are without excuse. We didn't glorify God or give thanks. And I'm willing to take that on claim to be wise. But I became a fool now that probably, But I don't have to be right about everything anymore. But the scariest part about all of this is when we get down to where it talks about the kind of person that you are without God, and this is uh and this has to this is they have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed, depravity, full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, and malice. They're gossip slanderers, god haters, insolent, arrogant, boastful, and they invent ways of doing evil that disobey their parents. They have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. And yet I have been accused of being a part of a group that has toxic empathy this year, Yet I experience no mercy, I have no love. So I'm curious to what you guys think about this. I actually have posed this back to Christians, saying I've never even a met a Christian that meets all of these criteria because this isn't what humans are like.
Speaker 1: But what do you guys say, I've never heard anyone say that this is like applied to like all Christians. They usually read Woman's one uh to me regarding the LGBTQ I a community, And first.
Speaker 2: Off, I have to literally do a.
Speaker 1: A reading class with them and teach them how to follow pronouns so that they can find the subject and understand, like who is Paul talking about here? And we got to follow the days and thems throughout the whole thing to identify.
Speaker 2: Who the who Paul is talking about.
Speaker 1: And it's he's basically talking about the Jewish followers in Rome who have left Paul's gospel and gone to Pagodism.
Speaker 2: And so he's being specific about a specific group of people.
Speaker 4: But the.
Speaker 1: Paul is ranting here, like he's not basically saying that this is every human in the world that doesn't believe in his God. But also I always ask them, are you saying that every homosexual person invents evil shit and it's proud of it? Like, are you saying that every homosexual person is this disobeys their parents?
Speaker 2: Like you got to be saying that they all do.
Speaker 1: These things, and they'll go, well, no, just some of them, Like it doesn't make any sense. But also I think a lot of hatred comes from that text because people just don't fucking know how to read. Like we're dealing with low literacy, and then people believe that they can interpret the words of an all powerful, all knowing and intelligent God and you're sitting here with a fifth less than a fifth grade literacy level.
Speaker 3: Like no, well, I'm reading Romans one here and it says they devise new ways of sinning, And I'm interested in this new ways of sinning, Like, I mean, I don't know about y'all, but I'm pretty tired of like the old ways of sinning that we've been doing all this heathen re shit. Let's figure out, let's work shop some new ways to sin. I mean, we can easily do this, y'all. We're all very smart people here, like we can determine new ways to sin. But you know, even within the context that you know, the Christians typically throw this at throw it at us with I think that it's particularly hilarious the idea of being labeled as as having was it toxic compassion or toxic empathy? Yeah, toxic empathy. But then in the same breath reference a scripture that says they don't show any kindness or compassion like I don't. I cannot, I literally cannot take anybody seriously if they're gonna say, if they're gonna claim like toxic empathy, but then be like, you're just not kind enough. That just doesn't make sense to me. Yeah, we got another question from the audience, very inquisitive audience today.
Speaker 12: Hey there, Jamie, how you doing. Hello there, folks. I love the idea of the new original sins like forgiving me Father, for I have sinned, I have coveted when I was wife, forgive me Father, I invert a squirrel. Well that's an original sin, but my actual not invert rodents. But my actual question is actually comes from the dearth of actual Christians coming up to defend their God, because man, have I been in some online fights over the past few days. One very specifically sticks out in my mind, and again I invited them to come onto the shows and talk about it. It was that they said that we could not deign to call something that God does unjust because we, again, we can't comprehend what justice is. And the simple answer I always give is, well, justice is getting what you deserve. How can you redefine it to mean something else? I mean, if some Christians says, well, you can't call God unjust because he's God, how would you respond to that?
Speaker 3: See, you can't call God unjust because he's God. Yeah, that's something of that nature.
Speaker 12: The sovereignty, the sovereignty, and also just the fact that we are mere humans and what is our framework for justice?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it seems like they're just starting off with, well, God is just, and so whatever's you know, you know, against God or not falling in line with what God wants, that's unjust. So it's basically defining just or what is just by whatever God likes or whatever God wants. And I feel like that's kind of past awkwards from what.
Speaker 1: Justice they do with morality though, right, yeah, it is is the sovereign God like mean human him, God, I know nothing, you know all, Like that's what it basically is.
Speaker 3: Uh okay. So I'm not trying to shield my own stuff here right now. But I do have I've put out a Bible app that has a bunch of like an analysis section and everything like that. And so I'm pulling up here since we don't have any Christians to call in because they're too scared to face you know, thinker in myself like they don't they don't want to challenge us on God. It's way too They're like, nah, we're not going to have our asses handed to us today by by these two. But if you would like to call in, uh, the number is five one two nine nine one nine two four two, or you can request up over there on the TikTok side, or you can hit up ACA dot show Forward, slash call and you can be able to talk to us. But like I said, I do have my own Bible app that I'm setting up, I'm maintaining and everything like that, and I've got this contradiction section. Now, thinker, Uh do you have like a oh okay, Uh, so do you have a favorite like contradiction in the Bible at.
Speaker 1: All favorite contradiction not really hmmm, a favorite one I don't even like. I rarely pay attention to the contradictions.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 2: I don't have a favorite one. I can't think of what one like.
Speaker 1: I guess the solemn, I mean the the inciting Satan inciting, like I think.
Speaker 2: This is the way my mind works.
Speaker 1: At first, when I first started deconstructing, the contradictions were a big deal to me, right, and then the more and more I studied, and I'm like, oh, the it's not univocal.
Speaker 2: So this is why this one says this and this.
Speaker 1: So I don't nearly pay attention to the contradictions that much unless you know a believer like breis it up?
Speaker 2: But the Solomon not Solomon? Uh for Samuel and uh.
Speaker 1: Second chronicles where the god in size David with the to take the census, and then the chronicler comes back and goes, no, it was I guess that one, okay, would be.
Speaker 2: It's not a favorite. I don't have a favorite college. You put me on the spot.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry. You know that everybody's scared to call us. I'm trying to think of, you know, stuff to do on the spot. Here for me personally, which anybody else, Yes, the.
Speaker 1: Birth of Jesus, thank you, she called me batman. The that's the birth of Jesus. And whether quin terry is whether the he was born during the census. Okay, yeah, yeah, No, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a really good one because you know, you can't he can't be born in both time periods, and both time periods are time box to a certain events that you know they have to contend with. So that's that's a that's a good one. I know one is kind of like one of those prophecies that Jesus like never fulfilled kind of thing. So I'm looking here and for anybody out there that's curious, party, yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, that man, I'd be named him all kinds of things, Jesus, Joseph Christ but quh.
Speaker 3: But for anybody that's curious, it's Gebible dot app and it's got like some great analyses sections. But the contradiction I'm looking at right now is will the Messiah be a descendant of David? And so like there's several old Testament stuff that is actually characterizing like what they think the Messiah will be, and that's a descendant of David, right, and then of course in the New Testament they have to finagle things which kind of plays off of what you were talking about the different birthdays of Jesus. But this is the different lineages, because there's different lineages that are given to Jesus and it's all in an effort to directly connect him to David. And so that's it's it's an interesting contradiction in the Bible because it's it's definitely the Bible at odds with itself as far as like what even the Messiah is going to be. I believe we have another question from the audience. All right, so what's up their audience? How you doing?
Speaker 4: I'm good, I'm doing good.
Speaker 2: Let me just try to see if I get right.
Speaker 4: There we go.
Speaker 10: So recently, a famous streamer as been Gold, said online as an atheist that he would prefer to live in a white Christian nationalist nation because of the values that it instills in everyone else and that how that benefits him. I was wondering what you guys would think of that, and honestly, why an atheist would come to that kind of conclusion.
Speaker 1: Well, I think atheism doesn't get rid of racism like there are racist atheists, there are homophobic atheists. Like atheism is just a lack of belief in a god, atheism isn't.
Speaker 2: I'm a moral person. I'm more moral because I don't believe.
Speaker 4: In a god.
Speaker 1: And I think this is why I say I don't give a fuck of a person believes in a god or not.
Speaker 2: I care about what you say you believe.
Speaker 1: Right on my live stream, when people come up, if they are racist, if they're rude, I don't stop and think, oh, this is an atheist.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna treat you different. I'm not. I'm gonna say fuck. I'm gonna say fuck you lord.
Speaker 1: No, you're gonna get the same aggression whether you're a believing a believer who's racist or homophobic, or an atheist. But I think it's just that that person is a racist atheist who prefers white supremacy ideologies, whether it's with a god or without.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't know why in the fuck anybody would say that they would prefer Christian nationalism like that seems like a crazy, you know, position to hold. And it's exactly what Thinker said that, you know, inherent or ingrained racism is always seems to be always present in group. You know, the atheist position isn't inoculated against racism, misogyny, or any of those things. And I think to want to live in a Christian nationalist sort of system, I guess it kind of reveals that, like, you know, as long as you're okay, you don't care what happens to everybody else. And I feel like that reveals more about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think there's a different Like so when they say Christian nationalism, they're not saying, oh, everybody who's Christian will be prioritized.
Speaker 2: It's it's hierarchical, right.
Speaker 1: And we've heard different people within office say things about Christian nationalism is white Christian nationalism, right, It is the white Christian male prioritized at the top, and then everybody else at the bottom, who you know, who are Christian. That's Christian nationalism. And you know, we can't you know, play around with that, like people like there there are black people who have said that they they think Christian nationalism would be okay because they think that Christian nationalism just means it's Christian, you know, that's being prioritized.
Speaker 3: It's it's hierarchical, right, and I know a lot of people have like the like I was saying before, with the romanticized sort of idea of God or Jesus. They do the same thing with Christianity in general. They romanticize the religion into thinking that, oh, it's it's just happy, go lucky, like it's just being good to people and all this other stuff, when in reality, I think that you're you're liable to get into the harsher you know, fundamentalists sort of sex, because those are the sex that are really pushing for Christian nationalism. It's the fundamentalists out there. It's the it's the fundamentalist Like sorry, I almost slipped up there. It's fundamentalists out there that want to enact family voting, and they want to enact different law laws to disenfranchise women, especially black women and the black community in general. They are out there trying to push for laws that are gonna sequester, you know, the vote for says head white males. And so if you if you hear a says head white male who is very obviously gonna be okay in a Christian nationalist state, uh be like, oh, Christian nationalism is perfectly fine with me. It's they're just saying, I don't care what fucking happens to you. I'm fine.
Speaker 2: Well, some of them don't know.
Speaker 1: Like I talked to one on my on my Life like two weeks ago, and he was a, you know, a nice guy. He said he he was one that believed that Christian nationalism just meant, you know, that.
Speaker 2: The God would govern. And I asked him.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, who's gonna decide? Like, how do you know when a god is creating a rule, Like how does the God govern? And he's like, I didn't think about that. He was like, everybody communicates with God. I said, so it's going to be a nation of chaos, like everybody's gonna be fighting back and forth saying God said this. God said that, and he goes, no, He said, you know, there's going to be one person that speaks for God. And I said, well, who decides who that person is? And he said, well, I guess it would have to be you know, like Moses, Like God made moses staff into a snake. I said, are y'all waiting on some magic trick to be able to choose who's going to speak for the God in this theocracy? That y'all are hoping. He was like, well, I didn't think about that. So, like a lot of them are sitting around thinking that it would be great for God to you know, govern.
Speaker 3: You know, our world.
Speaker 1: But who's gonna actually talk because the God don't have lips and he.
Speaker 2: Can't talk. Oh, yeah, I said it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do have one question question I think from the audience this, I know who this is on this go ahead?
Speaker 13: Yeah, So my question is one of the most common and I would say most frustrating responses that I've gotten from theists when I bring up biblical contradictions is mysterious ways. And so I was wondering, what is your maybe favorite or best response to when a theist just gives that answer and kind of tries to shut down the conversation.
Speaker 2: His ways are mysterious.
Speaker 1: We usually just make fun of it, like it depends on what we're talking about, because it's like it's a mystery.
Speaker 2: Then how they held that you even know about it? Like what else is a mystery?
Speaker 1: But those are thought stopping cliches. Yeah, like, it depends on what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how I'd respond to it would would just be simply to acknowledge the thought stopping nature of it and be like, well that that's just the thought stopper and you know, and then try to probe a little bit more is what I would do, Like, uh, you know, I would try to get them to think more critically about it, like instead of you know, stopping there mysterious ways, go a bit deeper and be like, well, can a god that's all good? Really, you know, command the sex trafficking little girls, Like I don't think so. You would think that that would be an easy question, but like, I can't tell you the number of times I brought that up to a Christian on a call and they're like, well, it depends on the contacts. It's like, I don't think it does, buddy.
Speaker 1: Like, and I also like when they say the mysterious thing and that I say that that their world is spiritual and whatever happens in the spiritual world states in the spiritual world.
Speaker 2: You just want to be able to say that up and down and down up like that ain't a mister, that's you lying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, thank you so much for that question.
Speaker 4: We do.
Speaker 3: We have Maddie calling in yep, Hi there, Maddie, how you doing.
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 7: I'm doing good. How are y'all?
Speaker 3: I'm doing pretty good. So what do you want to talk about today?
Speaker 7: I want to talk about the topic about God being a moral monster, and I could not agree more. Honestly, it's kind of annoying when believers say, especially to atheists, that we get our morals from a God, or even try to elude that we get our morals from the God, like they wouldn't even agree with half of the shit in this book, like going into other country and getting virgin child brides, or slavery or selling your daughter off.
Speaker 4: At the sex slave.
Speaker 7: But I want to ask, how would you guys go about showing or talking about our morals existing outside of this God or the fact that they don't come from this God? And how should we deal with being told that our morals do come from this God of this book?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I personally like to appeal to secular humanism, and the way that I bring that up is that I essentially juxtapose secular humanism against like God, his will, what God wants, because like the moral system that Christianity presents is God centered, it's not human centered. It's not centered on the health and well being of our fellow humans or other sentient creatures on our planet or anywhere for that matter, and so I typically will juxtapose it against that, like I care about what happens to my fellow humans and what effect my actions have on people around me. That's what I care about, and that's what I ground my sense of morality, and that's how I make my moral decisions as to you know, how does this how does this action affect the people around me and affect my society and all that. Whereas Christians, what they end up doing, not all Christians obviously, but like the Christians that would pose this particular challenge, they're going to be more concerned with what pleases God, and that's usually not what's best for humanity, and it's really hard for them to actually, at least I find it's hard for them to ground that in what's best for humanity other than just the simple claim that it is best for humanity just because God says so, and that's never convincing.
Speaker 1: Well maney, I would have to say that sometimes you'll hear Christians say that you can't ground your morals unless it's within the God. And I've had conversations with believers in ass well if you believe that it is wrong for you to kill, and I believe that it's wrong to kill, and neither of us kill, then what's the difference? And they say, well, yours isn't grounded in God and you're not killing. Doesn't really matter, Like they don't have any any basis to say that if we both aren't out here killing people, that there is any better than the other. But when then I come back and I say, okay, but if your God tells you that, if you believe that God is speaking to you and he wants you to go and kill, then do you kill? And they say yes, And I say, the difference with me is that my morals are rooted in logic, and my morals are rooted in compassion and humanity. So then there there isn't anything outside of me that can override that logic that says that it is harmful to like, everyone deserves a right to life, and therefore I should not take someone else's life because I wouldn't want someone to intrude on my right to live.
Speaker 2: Right, So that logic overrides.
Speaker 1: In the in the moment of when when I'm in a moment of heat, right and I'm upset, that logical framework then stops me from harming another person. But if you're if you if your moral system is rooted in a belief that a God can command you to kill in a moment of anger, and you can tell yourself a scripture he gives us to the righteous judgment, and he said they will try down all the scorpions and then bam, you don't kill somebody because you believe God has told you to.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 14: I mean I always say that my mother taught me my morals.
Speaker 2: I think humanity.
Speaker 14: We've been teaching ourselves my morals through the exact things that you guys said, like circular humanism, and also what we believe is right, Like we know, am well that flapping somebody's for no reason is a bad thing, Like we should not do that, and that's because it's harming a person.
Speaker 7: So I always say it comes like, yeah, that's bound.
Speaker 14: I'm sorry, y'all.
Speaker 7: Okay, So yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: Agree with you.
Speaker 1: I was saying bullying is bad, and like kicking people off of bikes, that's bad.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, especially especially like there's no reason, but there's obviously a reason why somebody.
Speaker 2: And that's when the morals get overwritten.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, right, this should never be a reason that you can say, hey, I kicked a child off of a bike. But like, if that happens, then your morals aren't rooted in and logic or secular humanism, right, It's.
Speaker 2: Rooted in like emotion. And so that's what I'm saying. That was an example, but go ahead, I'm sorry, all.
Speaker 7: Right, right, And I mean, you know that could be subjective depending on the situation, you know, but it's okay. Like our parents, our morals and moral.
Speaker 14: Are really just passed down through our generations.
Speaker 7: And I think as our brains developed, you know, as a species of humans, as we developed, as we started thinking about things that we like happening in us and things that we don't like happening to us, we created these morals. And like we see, these morals differentiate depending on what region of the world we're looking at. Like we can look at greg Miss how they have their morals and this book and how they have their morals. For for instance, we can look at Buddhism and what they believe in Hinduism and how they all just kind of different.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 7: Are different minds on the way we think in.
Speaker 2: These different areas and situations.
Speaker 14: Yes, that's.
Speaker 11: That is.
Speaker 2: That is so true, Maddie. I agree.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm not in on the joke on this. I'm trying to act like it's just a mystic's.
Speaker 7: That's all we're giggling about.
Speaker 1: Yes, at me, Okay, that's okay, the correct way it's it's Buddhism, that's the creation.
Speaker 3: No, it's Buddhism. It is bootyism, now, that.
Speaker 1: Is what it is.
Speaker 7: Booty No.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I prefer Buddism to you know, Buddhism.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's okay.
Speaker 7: Back, won't stop laughing.
Speaker 2: It's okay, Matt, it is okay.
Speaker 1: Hey, we make mistakes, right, And so that's the good thing about secular humanism is that we're not going to send you to hell for saying Buddhism, like, we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Laugh with you. We're gonna like offer the correct.
Speaker 1: Information and it's just gonna be a clip that's gonna be funny.
Speaker 15: No, let's not clip that.
Speaker 7: But thank you guys, Thank you guys for the information in the conversation. It was really good and I hope you'll have a great show.
Speaker 2: Can you save me?
Speaker 3: You bye bye. So, just so that everybody knows, technically, the religion that worship's booty is at at donndtology apparently.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's the religious worship of curvy bunts.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, oh wow you interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, since we.
Speaker 1: Have taken one call and we're almost done for today, I am gonna go ahead and finish our announcements. We have a channel that houses all of the shows on the ACA and audio podcast form. Visit ACA dot show for slazed podcast. There you can listen to all the latest shows from the ACA, Experience, Talky than Truth, Wanted, the nonprofits, and others on one channel. Another way to support us is by sending super chats. Get them in and we'll read them as many hands we can. The ACA wants you to know what is going on in our community, so head to www dot Atheist Dashcommunity dot org where you can learn about the organization itself, it's policies, and how you can get involved. And we want to shout out our crew and send out a big thank you who put this show together. Every week, video operators, audio operators, note takers, call screeners, and chat moderators, and if you would like to be one of those attractive crew members, be a guest on one of our shows, or eventually even become a host. We're always looking for people interested in being part of our production, so email volunteer at atheistdashcommunity dot org to get involved.
Speaker 3: All right, so we do have somebody on the TikTok, but we do have an audience question real quick that we want to get to before getting to the TikTok guest. So, TikTok guest, we will get to you here in just a second, but let's go back out to the audience.
Speaker 15: Well, much like you said, the nurse who could be could have good intentions or poor intentions, but she appears to have good intentions. Let's pretend that I want you to pick your favorite God dilemma, and let's pretend that God tells you you're wrong about me.
Speaker 3: You've got it all wrong.
Speaker 2: I did the right thing.
Speaker 3: You think God was im moral? You did the right thing.
Speaker 15: What evidence would you require from the God in order to support him saying that he was actually moral in the instance that we he appears to be immral.
Speaker 1: I think it would actually take me like I would have to take some time to think about that. But I think I've studied a lot of the dilemmas, you know pretty much that I don't see any evidence of actually being a morals Like if we look at the David one, where the God basically plays a Livio pope for David and fixes the situation. I can't see in any situation, in any instance, why, you know, I don't see anything that would make me go, oh, okay, I see why he told Nathan not to hold a trial and put the king on trial and get the witnesses. If had he held a trial, what large, what big a worser event could have happened? And why did David need to live? Like I don't, I don't know. I've studied it enough to Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that the ones that I would have trouble with on this one would be ones that are pretty much beyond the pale, Like I guess it would take an incredible amount of evidence to show that it is actually benefiting mankind, like number thirty one eighteen. I can't imagine the reason why slaughtering an entire group of people, but taking the young girls as plunders to be forced into sexual slavery. I don't foresee any kind of context at all in which a better plan couldn't have been derived, Like, you can come up with better solutions for that that are more humane, more humanistic, and actually care about people in that situation. I mean, mainly, don't kill everybody. I feel like that would be the case, but you would have to show how, like oh, yeah, they totally you know, needed to die for one reason or another. It would just have to be a really really good reason that I guess. I feel like it is nigh insurmountable.
Speaker 2: I think, like I've actually thought about these things. And when I.
Speaker 1: Talk about the fact that if he's all powerful, then he shouldn't have to do anything and moral to get his what he wants done. Right, if we think about the many conversations that we have with believers who say, well, God had to lie, he had to send lying spirits because he needed to get Ahab up to Mount Yeah, so he could kill him.
Speaker 2: So he just he didn't actually lie.
Speaker 1: He gave the spirits permission because that was a part of the plan to get a have to do whatever. Well, if he has to demoralize himself, because if lying's against his nature, and he has to give permission to something that's against his nature in order for a thing to happen. That he's not all powerful, right, And that's the lie that you're telling yourself. And so I've thought about it from that way as well. And then this divine command theory and God is sovereign and he created us, therefore he can take our lives. Well, then if you believe that he gave you life and he's the reason that you wake up every morning, then you're thanking him for that.
Speaker 2: Then what all powerful, sovereign God needs.
Speaker 1: To wake up a group of humans and then send another group of humans and to that land to kill him because he doesn't want them on the earth anymore.
Speaker 2: That's illogical to me. And they're like, there's no.
Speaker 1: Amount of evidence that would make me go, oh, that's why he that's why he didn't even wake the MP like he literally put that story puts the power of life and death in the hands of a mortal while at the same time there's mortal supposed to see themselves as less than the God. Right, So it doesn't it just I've studied these things so much, I've asked so many questions.
Speaker 2: I just don't see any other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we've got somebody from TikTok. But lines are still open over there for you to call in. The number is five one two nine nine two four to two. If you think that you can defend God from his immoral, really shitty attitude towards human beings, then please do call in. We would love to hear from you and try to defend him. But over here on the TikTok side, we do have Melmann medic that wants to request up and let's see if they can connect.
Speaker 2: She might be a friendly, that's one of.
Speaker 3: The Let's see if they can connect.
Speaker 2: It might be a friendly, that's one of them.
Speaker 3: I'm getting crap. I'm getting feedback.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 3: Uh there we go. Oh nope, still getting feedback.
Speaker 2: I can't drop our or meter. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I think they're working it out on the other end.
Speaker 4: Let go.
Speaker 3: Somebody said in the chat.
Speaker 2: There, Uh, I'm not sure if she knew she was up there yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Well, uh so we actually don't have anybody on TikTok but my bad.
Speaker 4: Uh uh.
Speaker 3: But as far as uh, you know, I guess the morality of God goes. I mean, we have been talking about a lot of different topics today as far as the morality of God goes. And uh, I'm wondering, do you do you find that whenever you confront Christians on your lives with the morality of God, What's what's a common answer that they give to like the more horrible things that you know, you confront.
Speaker 2: Them with, like sovereign, You can't question God? Like who are you too? To say that God is for all? It's just it's usually the divine and command theory. God is sovereign.
Speaker 1: Especially when we talk about David. This might be white people don't like talking to my ass, but.
Speaker 2: Like today that it was in God.
Speaker 1: David had a bigger plan and that's why the God did not require David to be held liable for coting adultrait and murder according to the law, So David had to live so that Solomon could be born. And I said, oh, I said, so you're telling me that your God orchestrated David sin.
Speaker 2: Like your God influenced David.
Speaker 1: To commit adultery and commit dartists murder so that he could marry Bethshiva, so that he could have Solomon and she said, I guess that's what that's I guess that's what it is. I said, No, that's exactly what you just said. It is like it was all in your God's plan for David to commit murder and blah blah blah. And so yeah, I think that's why they don't like talking to my ask but allowed to go talments of it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean it's hard when you put them down into a situation where they don't have an answer, because what I've noticed is that a lot of Christians out there, they don't like not having the answer. That's why it's easy to just punt it to you know, well God said this, God said that kind of thing, and when they don't have an answer, it really makes them uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I think the problem is that they do positive answers and then they expect that answer to be it. But then when you when you say, okay, so this is you're saying, this is what happened. Okay, let's look at that and analyze that claim. And that's what they're not expecting, right, that's for that answer to be taken and investigated further, saying that, oh, the reason God didn't require the law to be followed was because Solomon had to be born. They're not thinking about the intelment of that claim of that being the answer right to say that, you're if it had to be Solomon needed to be born, then your God orchestrated all the sudden.
Speaker 2: In the beginning, it was a part of its claim.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, so, uh, we don't have any car or well, we got one that's screening in, I believe, so we we're gonna have a call here in just a second. Uh while that is screening in, we do have some super chats to cover. We've got the first super chant here. Sorry for springing this on the the crew. On the back end there, we've got a slow TDI for nine ninety nine that says what you're experiencing, thinker is exactly one of the reasons I moved from Clarksville, Tennessee, to out to Utah. I was tired of breathing my water and would rather be in Iraq literally than in Tennessee. What did he talk about, Oh, he's talking about weather, so like how hot it is, you know in in Tennessee. I guess the you know how the humidity and all that kind of stuff with how how hot and difficult. It can be out there. See, we do have somebody that's get uh there we go. They just popped up into the host queue. We've got uh Tariq calling in. Trek is a theist? What's up there, Terik? How you doing? I'm all right yourself doing good there, buddy. Uh So what do you want to talk about today?
Speaker 4: I don't think God is immoral. I think that he has to make the tough choices that lead to the ultimate good.
Speaker 3: Okay, what tough choices? I think you're you're shaking your head there.
Speaker 2: I've talked to I've talked to k a thousand times.
Speaker 3: Okay, so he's he's he's not working with us, he's he's legit.
Speaker 7: Again.
Speaker 3: I am not in on the joke, uh Treek? Okay, So why do you think that your God is doing things because he has to?
Speaker 4: Uh? Well, let me do with because like you never heard of the butterfly effect?
Speaker 3: Oh you mean like with asking picture?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've seen that movie. I mean you know it's all right, I mean it can be a little confusing at times. Have you seen the alternate ending where you like basically strangles himself in the womb like that's kind of fucked.
Speaker 4: Up, right, I've actually never seen the film.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, why'd you bring it up?
Speaker 4: Well, it's because it's the same premise. Oh, there's a premise if you try to if you try to change things to avoid certain outcomes, and things might be worse. So I think you have to get rid of the Amalekites for a better world. Yes, otherwise things might have been worse.
Speaker 3: Well, so Treik, God would know everything, right, correct, Okay, So, like I get that you're trying to liken slaughtering entire groups of people to a butterfly wing causing a hurricane or a tornado or a cyclone or something like that. I mean, that's a little bit reductive in my opinion. But do you with God knowing everything, don't you think that maybe God could figure out a way to like affect whatever he wanted to without, you know, needlessly slaughtering people.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm. I think that God has set up the system and works within it to generate the outcomes that are desired.
Speaker 3: Who desired, and who's desired outcome his.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean couldn't he I mean, couldn't he figure out a way to get his desired outcome without having to like, you know, slaughter an infant.
Speaker 4: You know, that's a question that I wrestled with for years and ultimately the answer is.
Speaker 3: Hold Onterri, hold on. What a second thinker, have you had to wrestle with the idea of whether or not you should slaughter an infant?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: No, okay, So it seems like you don't really have to wrestle with it. Why did you have to wrestle with whether or not stabbing a baby's friend?
Speaker 2: So did you do you wrestle? Do you think that abortion isn't more?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: But you got to wrestle with the idea of whether or not as okay to slaughter and if it, well.
Speaker 4: You see it's different because one is ordained by God and the other it's just malice.
Speaker 3: Well hold on for human life, well hold on. So like when God, God ordained a type of abortion, and I believe numbers right, Like, I mean, if if a wife cheats, then you can force her to have an abortion, right, that's fine.
Speaker 4: Right, as long as it's ordained.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I means as long as the wife cheats, there you go. You can abort, right, that's fine.
Speaker 4: But you see the reason for that I'm sorry, you can go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean it just seems a bit uneven to me that it seems like if God were to appear to you right now, like Jesus right in the middle of your living room or maybe your basement sorry parents' basement. Sorry, I had to correct myself. It appeared to you right now and was like, hey, I need you to go next door and stab a baby in the face. You think that that would be morally better than allowing a woman to have bodily autonomy?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 3: Am I imagine? Am tracking that right?
Speaker 4: You're kind of there essentially without the go ahead of the preordanization of the act of God, I would not take that action. But seeing as how he would be coming to me directly and let you know that, I would have to move.
Speaker 3: You would have to move What do you mean move, like you'd have to move to go and stab the baby, or like you would have to move as in like I've got to get out of here. It's hauntin.
Speaker 4: I mean, in the interest of you know, serving the Lord. Would obviously try to figure out why that would be asked of me.
Speaker 3: Maybe it would be a well TOI hold on, you got lean not on your own understanding, but trust in the Lord, buddy, absolutely.
Speaker 4: And I would trust that he would tell me his reasoning. It might turn out to be a.
Speaker 3: Hold on you just said, I would have to figure out why he was telling it to me. And then I quoted you scripture directly from the Lord saying, hey, don't think about it, just do it, Bud, And you're like, and then you're just kind of rolling with that, Like I feel like you're at odds with yourself here.
Speaker 4: So it's like this. Sometimes God asks people to do things much like Abraham, right, you know, go and slaughter your child, But it turns out it was just a test faith. So, like I was saying, I would try to see if maybe it was one of those situations where he wanted to see if he could trust me with much more.
Speaker 1: So you were expecting to be like Abraham, Well, yes, why do y'all always do that? Like why do y'all think? Why do y'all always think that the story is going to end for you the way it end for the characters in this book, Like are y'all watched are y'all reading this book as like a comic book, And you're like picturing yourself like in the story, and you're like.
Speaker 2: I'm Abraham, that's my character.
Speaker 1: Like why why why do you always that you're gonna get the same outcome as a character in the.
Speaker 3: Book main character syndrome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, honestly, I think that you could actually sum that up with the phrase there's nothing new under the song. Obviously there are different archetypes out there that are you know, any filial slots And.
Speaker 1: What if he doesn't what if he does not stop you the way he stopped Abraham and Deuteronomy thirteen, He says that you must be willing to Actually, we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna tie Jesus in on this, Okay, So and.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you do.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you do, Matthew, Sorry, Mark fourteen twenty six. Jesus says, in order to be my disciple, you must hate your mom, your dad, your husband, your wife, your sister, your brother, and even your own life. Right, you're familiar with that smug absolutely? Are you familiar with the descripture where when Jesus was yahweh Joseph.
Speaker 2: He says that you must.
Speaker 1: If your your brother, your your son, your daughter, your husband, your wife, or even your best friend tries to get you to worship another.
Speaker 2: God, you have to kill him.
Speaker 4: I've heard you. You turn people speak on nuts, cartrios.
Speaker 2: You've heard it, right.
Speaker 1: So what if he doesn't stop you like he did Abraham? What if he follows through with that?
Speaker 2: Would you do it? What if he says, hey, in order to be my disciple, you have to hate.
Speaker 1: Your mom, your brother, your sister, your brother, and even your own life enough to follow my laws and do Toteronomy thirteen.
Speaker 4: I mean it would be tough, but you know he works in mysterious ways.
Speaker 3: It could be that she Oh, you're fucking with me, now, you.
Speaker 16: Got it?
Speaker 3: First of all, Okay, here's red flag number one, voice changer, red flag number two. You're saying all of the things that we've been talking about this entire time, unronically supposedly number three, you're having to wrestle with the idea of stabbing babies in the face or killing anybody. Really, I mean that seems to be like something you shouldn't have to like wrestle with right now, So like, what is it? Are you using?
Speaker 4: Hold on?
Speaker 3: Ter hold on? Are you using a voice changer? Because you're so embarrassed about the horrible argumentation you're giving for your God, or like, are you using it because you're just scared of being recognized by friends and family?
Speaker 4: Fortunately, this is my authentic voice.
Speaker 3: Bullshit, No, this is this is obviously a voice changer. I could have sworn I heard a second ago. Go on the fritz for a second. Oh really, I thought, so, I don't know, maybe I'm wrong anyways, tery yeah, so God, God works in God, God works in mysterious ways, and therefore stab babies in the face. Like, I don't know, I feel like that's kind of like I mean.
Speaker 4: That, well, if I could elaborate a little bit, maybe it's so that God wants me to commit that act and show me your world wherein that act produces, you know, some kind of negative net overall in the world. And then he takes you back to the time before, and it.
Speaker 3: Takes you back to the time before. What what the fuck is this?
Speaker 4: Like the time the act was committed. He has mysterious ways. I cannot tell what he would do when asking me to do such a thing. I mean, obviously he knows the way of such a decision, and obviously he provide a way out for me, seeing as how it was at his best.
Speaker 3: So can you imagine Tarique here standing in front of the judge and the judge is like, well, why the fuck did you stand up baby in the face, and He's like, I thought God was going to stop me.
Speaker 1: You're still going to go to jail. Well, like Jesus Joseph, it's not going to be able to get.
Speaker 7: You out of that.
Speaker 2: Like, you are still going to go to jail.
Speaker 3: I thought I was going to go back into the past and it was just going to be a big old fancy Wait. God was going to do a big rewind and do undo it all, and he's going to be like, aha, askton. Picture was going to come out and be like, you're butterfly punked?
Speaker 4: Can I ask you a question? Sure? I'll take that for yes. So do you conceive that I believe that God is more intelligent than any of us?
Speaker 3: I think you think that.
Speaker 4: Sure, that's exactly what I asked. Correct, So in that when he's asking me to do something and I have no idea what's on the other side of that. Am I not fair to assume that he's already threed all of that and has a solution for me waiting on the other side.
Speaker 3: Well, no, so I haven't questioned like that particular aspect of it, which I mean, I think that you should be questioning that aspect of it. My question to you specifically at the very beginning of this was why are you having to sit there and mull it over? Because you because when you first answered, you were like, well, I'd have to really think about it and everything like that. And you know, of course I lobbied that very easy scripture at you about how you shouldn't lean on your own understanding, and then you see to change your tune, so you just seem to be a bit all over the place. My contention is that you even saying, oh, well, I'd have to think about it, I'd have to, like you know, I'd have to come to the conclusion or think of a good reason as to why God would be asking me this. I'm saying that the actual answer that God would be expecting is blind obedience, and that should make you question, well, I.
Speaker 4: Think that it's testing the spirit with the spirit, and they're moving ahead once it's confirmed.
Speaker 3: Testing the spirit with the spirit. Is that like hitting a motherfucker with another motherfucker, or.
Speaker 4: I know, I would not say that it's using the character and the abilities of God to determine whether something is from God or not.
Speaker 2: But who are you testing? If you're the only one? Like, are you testing yourself?
Speaker 4: Like you're the only one?
Speaker 2: What the spirit is?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 15: Like?
Speaker 2: Ain't nobody else there? Like it's just you saying God say it? So who are you testing?
Speaker 4: God's will is laid out in the Bible, and we see that will come to fruition through various actions, some you would deem as you know, moral, some less, but all of it points to the reclamation of his people from hell. So testing the spirit would be seeing if the actions or words given would align with that ultimate goal of reclamation.
Speaker 2: And who decides that?
Speaker 1: When you go to the scripture and you read it, who decides whether or not it passes the test?
Speaker 4: Right? Well? The Holy Spirit will stir up that answer in me.
Speaker 2: But who decides what the Holy Spirit says?
Speaker 4: Well, that would be God, of course.
Speaker 2: And who decides that what God says?
Speaker 4: None other than himself.
Speaker 3: Do you see the circle that the thinker just belt right there? I mean it's she basically dog walked you in a circle.
Speaker 4: Well, it's only a circle because she forgot about Jesus, who makes the strongest shape a triangle.
Speaker 3: Said yeah, what okay, Well, hold on, I wanted to bring up Deuteronomy six sixteen that says do not test the Lord your God, and like, well, it says like you did at Massa.
Speaker 4: But I mean, oh, well, like I don't have a Massa, so I can't do that.
Speaker 2: It's Massa okay.
Speaker 3: But so my question though, is is that you talk about testing the spirit.
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: The spirit is God or part of God, right, okay? So so God directly says don't test me, bro, but then you're testing him, like it seems like he wouldn't like being tested.
Speaker 4: Well, unfortunately, this would not be a situation such Asthma saw. This would be taking his word, applying his word to his word, and seeing if it is in fact his word. I find my mistaken the incident at Massaw something entirely different.
Speaker 3: It's altogether Well, my point is that it says, don't test me, and so like, I feel like you should probably respect God's boundaries there with testing him.
Speaker 4: I mean, but the Bible also does say test the spirit with the spirits?
Speaker 3: Where does it say that? Well, no, I know, you mean the Bible. Buddy, what I'm asking for is book chapter verse. If he can. I've got a Bible up right in front of.
Speaker 4: Me, absolutely, So what you want to do is you want to go in your search bar of that Bible and type in testing spirit and we should pop up for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I did. I did do the testing thing and it it brought me to the thing that said, hey, don't test me, motherfucker.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 3: I'm just wondering what am I supposed to be looking for? Like I asked for book chapter verse and you're like, well, could you do a Google search for me? What I've got? I've got, So I've got Matthew four one, First John four one, Mark fourteen thirty eight, Matthew twenty six forty one, Like which one is it?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: First John for one says trust every spirit, but put the spirits to the testify. Oh, okay, here we go. Maybe this is it? First Yeah, I found it for you, Like did you not know about this? Did you just take a pop shot at the Bible as like it'll probably be in there. That's a that's a risky roulette.
Speaker 4: Game there, buddy, accurately quoted. That makes sense.
Speaker 3: Let's see Oh, it says, dear friends, don't trust every spirit, but put the spirits to the test to find out whether they're from God. For there are many false prophets out there in the world. So my question now is how do you discern between false prophets and true prophets? If you have God in your answer, I'm going to fucking lose it. If you say God, don't say God, are you there?
Speaker 4: It's okay, Yeah, I'm here. Are you ready for this answer?
Speaker 3: Probably not? You're not ready. You have to use the Bible, so God, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yes, you have to get to know God in order to know God. Wait, no idea, I get it.
Speaker 3: No, you have to get Wait, you got to know God before you can know God. Like, what the fuck kind of sense does that make? I feel like that violates you kind of law?
Speaker 4: No, you have to get to know God before you can know God. For instance, if I said I heard thinkers say she hates short people. With a few knew her, she probably wouldn't say that. Told me if you knew her.
Speaker 3: Why are you casting some doubt on that question? Right there? Like, she probably wouldn't hate short people.
Speaker 4: She might. I don't know.
Speaker 2: You must be short.
Speaker 3: He is short, King.
Speaker 1: But the difference, right with what you're saying, right, is that John can hear my voice. John has hung out with me, so he knows my personality, right. He has watched my YouTube videos, my TikTok, and John can just say, hey, did you say.
Speaker 2: You hate short people. You can't do that with your God. That's the difference.
Speaker 4: I can't ask somebody.
Speaker 2: You cannot.
Speaker 1: You can ask him, but you can ask him. But you're going to also answer it yourself.
Speaker 3: Right, You won't actually get an answer or God. I mean you'll you know, I'm sure you'll come up with an answer that's yourself answering.
Speaker 4: It for God. It sounds as though you've never had an actual personal in counsel with God.
Speaker 3: Am I Neither have you?
Speaker 4: So you haven't correct.
Speaker 3: No, I'm saying neither have you. Neither of us have had a personal experience with God.
Speaker 4: Interesting, Well, yeah, neither one of you probably has. The wise, you probably be on the other side of the whole thing.
Speaker 3: If you've had a personal experience with God. I would suggest some kind of therapy.
Speaker 4: Well, the betterments of my life. I don't at this time.
Speaker 2: I mean, the thing is, though, like let's say you did. I have an experience.
Speaker 1: Nobody, no one else has access to this experience, Like no one else heard or seen the same thing that you did.
Speaker 2: Right right, you are the decider of this, like, let me, let me let me ask you. Let me ask you a question. When you when you.
Speaker 1: Pray and seek forgiveness from your gud, do you get a confirmation that says you've been forgiven.
Speaker 4: In a way. Yes, they're not all the same, but I do get that same confirmation.
Speaker 2: What's the confirmation that you get from heaven?
Speaker 4: Sometimes it'll be uh, something small, like watching the flower bloom and that gilt rushes away from me. Sometimes it will be something big, and it'll be the person themselves coming to me and forgiving me for the actions that have done against them.
Speaker 3: Hold on, are you seriously suggesting that? Like you see a flower like bloom and you're like, oh, God has forgiven me for that thing that I did. It was it was it was a deplorable thing. I murdered a baby. But you know God made the flower bloom, so obviously God is given as a okay for that big old sorry that I gave him, or or it is killing a baby in this particular respect. Does that require something bigger, like maybe like a fucking plane in the sky that where God's like, cool, bro, you're good?
Speaker 4: Uh Not that that would be outside of the realm of what my God can do. Oftentimes in those situations, I would actually not know, seeing as how I do my best to follow his will and his word. I don't commit any major you know, full pause with humans. How do you know?
Speaker 3: Well, you could, you could commit a faux pas with with with God, and he could just be getting madder and madder.
Speaker 4: Yet he continues to bless me with every new day.
Speaker 3: He blesses you. I guess you mean he wakes you up every day.
Speaker 4: Well, whether or not she does. The Earth is still spinning, the sun is still arising, there's still oxygen on the planet. There are many many ways that he could take away that which sustains us.
Speaker 3: And how do you know that God keeps the air on the Earth and the Earth spinning?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean have you tried.
Speaker 3: Have I tried? Have I tried stopping the earth?
Speaker 4: I mean, have you tried spinning it? Have you tried keeping the air contained to the planet.
Speaker 3: I don't have to do any of those things because physics exists, and I understand how physics works. Do you know how physics works?
Speaker 4: I could be a liar and say yes.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's just an argument from ignorance that you don't know how physics works, so therefore God.
Speaker 4: Not necessarily. No, I don't know that my news of how airspace chapped to a planet, but.
Speaker 3: I do know that it's gravity.
Speaker 4: To the grace of God, it will for longer.
Speaker 3: No, No, where's where so in in in the in the process of of like mass or matter bending space time and causing gravity to happen. Where is God in that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Where does does that process need? Like a wizard?
Speaker 4: I don't know what you mean by a wizard, but certainly you know obviously I believe that He set those in place to kind of governed uh, that which we call reality.
Speaker 3: No, I mean so what what I what I mean? In space time? So space time is displaced by mass, you know, matter, and that causes gravity what we experience as gravity. None of that requires any kind of magical like jews or magical aspect to it. Like, That's just how reality operates. So in order for you to say that God is necessary for that to happen, you would need to provide some kind of grounding that that makes God necessary for it. All you've stated is just the claim that God is necessary, instead of actually building a bridge to establish that. Could you somehow establish that God is necessary for gravity to exist?
Speaker 4: My favorite question absolutely Genesis.
Speaker 3: You get asked this multiple times.
Speaker 2: No, he doesn't.
Speaker 3: How can this be your favorite question? Like this is the first time I've ever asked this question before, Like normally it's the water cycle. Grad Thank you. Can you explain to me how God creates it's gravity or how He's made gravity or something like that, just like fucking no, he can't, John stop please?
Speaker 4: No, I mean all you really need to know is that gravity is still a theory.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I think I think I think Trek has had enough uh fun today.
Speaker 3: To wait, has Tarik had enough or have you had enough drink? Uh Tarke? I really think that you need to go back and research some basic science ship because like there's no need for a wizard, which I mean I was gonna ask you to distinguish between God and a wizard, but I mean we we are getting to the end of the show here.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, what did you do Hopefully next time you guys.
Speaker 3: Will have you I've been hearing you. I don't know what you mean ears to hear like I've can you see me on the TV? I've got ears like right here. I don't know what you mean by ears to hear? Think or do you have ears?
Speaker 2: It looks like you got somebody's going to get an ear full when I, like, I have I have ears?
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, yep, Trek, are you still there?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Calls into my show a line?
Speaker 4: Or does he?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 15: So?
Speaker 3: Is he a troll?
Speaker 2: Huh No, he's he's something else, something else.
Speaker 3: He's definitely something else. All right, Tarik, we are here at the end.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Next time we will be sure to I guess have our hearing ears on instead of whatever then we put on today. But yeah, I hope that you'll call in again. There will be a new set of hosts next week, and hopefully maybe you can convince them of, you know, God not being a wizard. Okay, see you later there, Tarik. You have a good day. What I didn't even bring a tie?
Speaker 8: Just yell at Dan.
Speaker 3: You can hear us outside Dan. We're summoning Dan. We know you can hear us.
Speaker 8: We need the board to do that in here, it's a spirit.
Speaker 2: He's out there. He's ignoring us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh wait, there, you guys.
Speaker 8: Really on for an extra.
Speaker 3: We got We got on the car, so we're having fun with him.
Speaker 16: But how he took He took like ten seconds to respond, but it sounded like he wasn't using that time to think.
Speaker 1: I know, he just sat there like unfortunately anytime he calls in, like he just randomly talks about stuff and then he makes like really bad dad jokes in the middle.
Speaker 2: I was like, he doesn't think you can relate to that. He's a nice guy. I keep him around, but he's a nice guy.
Speaker 3: Does he always use a voice changer?
Speaker 2: Or is it like I never noticed that he was using a voice he'sus a voice.
Speaker 12: I think his action started changing halfway through the car.
Speaker 2: His accent changed.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know. It sounded like a voice changer to me.
Speaker 8: It sounded like it was like an I.
Speaker 2: Think he might be scared of like his family.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: If you're watching, I'm sorry, what are y'all doing in here? We don't know you called me what.
Speaker 8: We came in because we wanted to thank everybody we're here this weekend, just real.
Speaker 4: Quick, and.
Speaker 17: We often get accused of never getting anything done, never making a difference in anybody's life. This was dropped off by somebody that you met with and I'm not gonna say her name, but the person who was there with Yes, she specifically was so moved by your compassion and everything that she wanted you to have these. But yeah, and once again, hey, uh, these are the people who have been kind enough to work with us, not just on the show today, but throughout the entire weekend. Please give them another round applause. I love you all, probably equally, maybe not, but you know a little more, Kelly, you among you know who I love? Are all right? But everybody, thank you for coming out, and we're gonna go ahead and close this thing out. I will turn it over to the pros and.
Speaker 8: Can I just say a special things to all the other people, all the volunteers that really help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there, the crew is awesome.
Speaker 8: Yeah really seriously, thank you to the crew. Amazing, amazing weekend. Everybody needs to come.
Speaker 2: Out next year, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: I want to say thank you to members of my online community who some flew out here, some live out here. Thank you all so much for supporting and being out. I got do that, got with my broach. We're broach buddies now, all right, so we're done.
Speaker 2: I can't keep it up. Yeah, so.
Speaker 12: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: What's the outro?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, thank y'all so much for being here today, everybody.
Speaker 2: We'll see y'all next week.
Speaker 3: By thanks.
Speaker 4: Watch yeah nine, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't have a different places I go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I got my stuff out there.
Speaker 16: Watch Talking In Live son days at one pm Central and call into the show at five ve two
Speaker 3: Four two, or connect to the show online at a C eight dot show slash call Hall