Speaker 1: A Cast recommends I'm gram O'Toole, the host of our latest show on talkSPORT Ireland, Green with Envy.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be joined every week during the FIFA World Cup twenty twenty six by former Ireland internationals Darren Randolph.
Speaker 3: And Alan Judge Wild.
Speaker 4: I set the action as it happens and get the Land's opinion on the biggest talking points from the tournament.
Speaker 2: Watch every episode on the talkSPORT Ireland YouTube channel, or listen on any podcast platform and the Onic player.
Speaker 1: A Cast is home to the world's best podcasts, including Crime World, The Other Hand and the one you're listening to right now.
Speaker 5: Warning, Where Did the Road Go? May cause the edges of reality to become fuzzy. This month's Where Did the Road Go is sponsored by the following awesome individuals, Greg Ross, Allison Cook, Super Inframan thirty six Dingo, Yvonne Williams and Michael Friske. Thank you so much for helping make this show possible.
Speaker 6: Transmission start Welcome to Where Did the Road Go? Join us as we wander off the path and explore lost history, consciousness, the paranormal, unexplained mysteries, alternative thought, and much more. We are present on the web at where did the Road goo dot com. Now Here is your host, Soriah.
Speaker 5: Welcome to this edition of Where Did the Road Go? And tonight for the first time, I have joining me Ruth roper Wilde. Hello there.
Speaker 3: Hi really pleased to be here.
Speaker 5: And you are based out of where.
Speaker 3: I'm in, Bedfordshire in the UK. I'm just about fifty miles due north of London, okay.
Speaker 5: And you have a series of ten books out now, is that correct?
Speaker 3: That's right. I had the opportunity to take partial early retirement ten years ago, and I've been collecting all this data about the paranormal for practically all of my adult life, and I thought I'm going to give it a go writing a book. And here I am ten years later, and I seem to have forgotten to stop writing books.
Speaker 5: I just kept going, Well, that's a good thing. I mean, obviously enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love it. I love the fact because I get to speak to so many people, because I find my own witnesses. I specialize in finding correlations, so I go out and speak to the public, find people who've experienced something odd in whichever location I'm interested in. At that moment in time, speak to my own witnesses, either correspondence or interview them, or if they're close enough, I'll meet up with them, and then their accounts go into the books. So yeah, absolutely love it.
Speaker 5: What got you interested in this stuff in the first place.
Speaker 3: I grew up in a house which had a very active poltergeist in it. Oh yeah, So I was born in the sixties, so I was growing up through the seventies, and we lived in a fairly modern housing estate for UK standards, So our house was only about maybe seventy or eighty years old maybe, so you know, quite a modern house. No idea of any back history or backstory to it or anything like that. We just suddenly had all this weird stuff started happening. And it wouldn't do it all the time, you know, sometimes had been months between things happening. But it would do all the classic poltergeist type things like loud noises in the middle of the night, sound of glass smashing, sound of furniture smashing. It would move things. It wasn't suckle like so many poltergeists that I get told about are where you put something down, turn away, turn back, and the thing has moved r hour would just move it right in front of you so you'd be standing. Just to give you an example, I was in the I must have been about fifteen or sixteen at this point, and I was standing in the kitchen helping my mum clear up after us kids had had a tea and we were chatting away. It was summer's evening, so it was, you know, bright sunshine, about six o'clock in the evening. And you know how when you're doing the washing up and drying up, you've got a tea towel to dry the dishes up. Quite often you kind of screw that up and chuck it on the side before you get around folding it up and putting it away. So if you imagine this sort of chucked on the side, you know, this teetawel, and we both caught movement out of the corner of our eye and turned to look at the same time, and the tea towel was flattening itself out until it was completely flat on the surface, and then it folded itself once one way, once the opposite way, and then once again the first way until it was in a neat little square. Well, Mum and I just stood there and watched it do it and then kind of looked at each other and went, Okay, so that happened, and it just left me. It would do all sorts of things. It would terrify my sister when she went to the bathroom to have a bath. It would bang on the door like really loudly, like really badly, to the point where she begged me to go and sit with her while she had a bath. And I was sitting in there and it did it, and I flung the door open, thinking it would be our little brother trying to scare her, and there was nobody there at all, even though the door was being pounded on as I flung it open. So sometimes it was just kind of mischievous. Sometimes it was a bit nasty, and it just it left me with this absolute fascination of Okay, so that's happening. This isn't a question of do I believe it or not believe it. That's kind of like saying do you believe that the rain is falling or not falling? Because that house it was happening, you know, but it was like, well, but what's causing it? What is making this happen? And back then in the seventies. Obviously we didn't have computers, we didn't have the Internet, so if I wanted to find anything out, it meant going to a library. So I did that, and I started picking up Whenever I could find a book about ghosts, I'd buy it, you know, from a second hand book store or whatever, spent my pocket money on them. And all of them tended to talk about, you know, black monks floating around in old abbey's, or knights on horses, galloping through castles and whaling, ladies on church parapets and things, all the old ghost stories you get in the UK, and very little about people like me living in the modern times with something stupid happening in their house that was fairly regular, alarming regularity, and it just it just made me want to know what is causing this, what is the answer to this. I come from a family that's firmly atheist in background. My mother was a radio engineer in the RAF so she was a very engine neering and practical minded woman, and she absolutely did not believe in this nonsense. So whenever something would happen, she would try to find the logical explanation for it. So one occasion, a knife on the side of the table started spinning again. Mum and I were in the room, and it spun off the table and kept spinning right across the room and eventually hit the floor. And she just went and got a tape measure and measured the distance from the edge of the table to where the knife was on the floor and said eight feet whatever inches it was, and just kind of went, well, that wasn't gravity, then, was it. And that was kind of her attitude. She didn't act scared of it. She didn't, you know, try and sort of come up with a dismissal of it or anything. She just kept when I find a logical explanation for what was happening, I guess it kind of just made me the same way, because you do tend to following parents to a certain extent, can't you. And yeah, so I started whenever I did find a story that was modern or sort of within my lifetime. So from the nineteen sixties onwards, I started collecting clippings and what have you. And then obviously I grew up and I left school and I started my first job, and my first job was in a library. And again, to you know, too early for computers and that. So we had the old card files that all the books were listed on, and I learned the dewy system and the card file system, so I thought, oh, I could I could record all this information I've got about ghosts on a card file. So I bought myself a card file at home and set up a card file. And time went on, and you know, I left home and started my life and career like you do, and computers became a thing. Household computers became a thing. So I moved the card file onto the computer on an actual system that looked like a card file. I thought it was so modern back then. Look at this, I've got an electronic card bath. Then it was just fabulous, you know, it was just so amazing. And then of course time moves on and databases became a thing or spreadsheets. So I sort of moved everything over into sort of like a tabular, sort of spreadsheet based database. And then I realized I was getting so much data I had to start splitting it into kind of chunks to make sense. So I had one for anniversary ghosts, one for ghosts that haunt roads and byways and paths, and one for ghosts in buildings, and life went on, and I carried on and I had my career, and then, like I say, I eventually got the chance to partially tire ten years ago. So I jumped a tip, went down to work in just three days a week, and my husband said, so what you're going to do with the other four days a week. You know, I'm going to write a book. So that's what I did, and it's just taken off from there. So ten books in they sell worldwide, which is really nice. And every time I managed to empty your database, one of the others is filling up. Because as I go out to you know what I call my ghost posts, looking for, you know, people who've seen something or experience something in the area. I'm interested in, people all right back and say, well, I haven't had anything on that road or in that pub or you know whatever it is I'm asking about, but I've got one in my house or where I work or on a different road or whatever. So of course I interview them and I add that to the database. And it's just like painting the fourth bridge, as we say here in the UK, it's a never ending task because as fast as you empty one another one is filling up and so there we are. So that's what led us to this point ten books in. But I think it's my need for data because my whole career was investigative. So I spent fifteen years as a fraud investigator and then another eighteen years as a bullying, harassment and discrimination investigator.
Speaker 5: So that seems like a good background for researching this stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's you know, it teaches you to gather the data to not lead your witnesses, you know, quite good interviewing techniques. We're sort of taught not you know, how to get the information you want, how to use silence, all the rest of it. Because partum, when I was doing the fraud interviews, you know, obviously they would end up in court, so they would be interviews under the police and criminal evidence app But it just means that you get used to collecting data, getting witness evidence, matching that up against other witness evidence or other types of evidence, and then presenting it. So yeah, that was kind of a good basis for how I present my books. And yeah, it just endlessly fascinates me because ten years in and I still don't know the answers to what causes apopolized. I got my suspicions, but I don't know the answer. I don't think anybody knows the answer yet. But I see my role as very much gather the data, get it recorded, get it put down for posterity, all these people's stories, and at some point someone, probably someone much brighter than me, will be able to make sense of all of this. But if we don't know capture those stories and get them put down, they'll just be lost in the noise, weren't they Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh totally yeah, And you.
Speaker 3: Know, and already one of the things I got to when I I've fully retired last October. Who I'm still very excited about that. I remind my husband at least three times a week that I don't have to go to work anymore. Poor man.
Speaker 1: Who.
Speaker 3: So I was about I just published book number ten, and I was about to sort of set sail on number eleven. And a throwaway comment which I've heard a number of times, people so many times have said to me, why are all the ghosts Victorian? And I kind of always say, well, they're not. You know, my book's some ghosts of Victorian, sure, but they're not all Victorian. And I just like, I wonder how many of the book the ghosts I've written about are actually Victorian. And that was in October, and I finally is out of that rabbit hole in February because I just went a bit mad creating a new database where I've listed every one of the accounts in all ten books, and I've split the data every which way I can think of from what period the ghost was from, if known whether it was seen, because another thing people always say is why do ghost has always come out at night? Spoiler alert people? They don't they come out the day and night. So I've got are they dawn, day, dusk or night or unknown? Was it an apparition? Was it a fully formed apparition? Was it partially transparent? Was it just a bit of a person, you know, just lair, legs and an arm or whatever. Did it disappear right in front of the person or did it kind of exit stage left or did they look away and look back and it was gone, Because I'm quite interested in that whole thing's disappearing right in front of people thing?
Speaker 5: Right, Do you have any cases where things disappeared directly like someone saw something disappear?
Speaker 3: I have got loads of them, really loads of them, so many my absolute favorite one of those, and it really is my favorite example of something disappearing right in front of somebody. I can't for the life of me remember which part of the UK this was in, but it was somewhere up north or Midland Z sort of up that way somewhere. And it's a chap who owns a scrap yard, a vehicle scrapyard, and he has absolutely zero interest in the paranormal, doesn't believe in it, has zero interest in it, never watches anything, reads anything about it. So very down to worth kind of guy runs a scrap yard and the scrap yard that they've got they use a plot of land. This originally was a World War II temporary air base that was then abandoned at the end of World War II, left to go to scrub land, and all the buildings were sort of knocked down and what have you. But they bought the plot of land then fenced it in and it makes an ideal place for scrapping vehicles because all the old concrete platforms that the buildings stood on are still there. So they knocked all the scrub tree downs. They've got this nice sort of concrete lined area to scrap all these vehicles on and they specialize in scrapping like vintage special vehicles. And he got a call from one of his regular customers one night, late at night, saying, oh my god, I've broken down. I've got a puncture in one of the wheels. And it's one of these wheels that you you can't just put a tire on it. It has to have something, don't ask me, I'm not has to have something special anyway. He has to have this special wheel. Have you got this wheel for this nineteen twelve whatever it was car? You know? And he said, I have. I've got four of them, but I'm not separating them. You'll have to buy all four. So it's like, that's fine, that's fine. Can you bring them to me now, I'm at the side of the road wherever. So there he is a gone midnight. He goes to the scrap yard, lets himself in. He's busy emptying the back of his land drover and to put these four wheels into the back of his land rover. He's just done that when he hears somebody shouting, so he's literally, you know, this scrap yard is out of town, you know, it's not in the town, so he's in the middle of the countryside. In effect, it's getting on fo one o'clock in the morning. By now he's on his own in this scrapyard and somebody's shouting at him, so he hurriedly turns round, closing the land of over doors behind him, so they didn't see these valuable wheels. And they're striding towards him. Is this bloke wearing jeans, a white T shirt and braces over the jeans, yelling at him like what the effing lives that? And you know, are you doing here on my land? And of course he starts yelling back at the bloke, what the hell do you mean? What am I doing here? This is my land? Who the heck you know? Who the hell do you think you are? And so you can imagine these two men. They get within about six feet of each other, still yelling at each other, and he's bracing himself. This is going to be a fight. This must be some guy that's broken in and has he got mates with him or something. And as they're yelling at him at each other, the other bloke, the one in the T shirt and jeans, just blinks out of existence right in front of the mid yell, and he's just left standing there in this empty, silent scrap yard of old vehicles, thinking what the heck just happened? I don't believe in this rubbish? What do I do with that? What? And that's that's how we spoke to me, because you know, I spoke to him over the phone about it, and he said, and he just kept saying to me, what do I do with that? I don't believe in ghosts. I don't believe in life after death. I don't believe in the paranormal. I don't believe in UFOs. But how do I explain a bloke yelling at me and then just blinking out right from And all I could do was assure him that it wasn't the only account I'd got of apparitions blinking right out in front of people.
Speaker 5: So I have to wonder if there's someone in another time who sees this guy on his property and he's yelling at him and that guy just blinks out on him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because I mean, from the description what he was wearing, jeans, the white T shirt with braces over that could easily be from World War Two, couldn't it. Yeah, you know, so that could easily have been somebody off duty on the site in World War Two when it was an active site, thinking he's suddenly seen this intruder at the back of a land rover. And bear in mind it was a land rover he drives, and the land rovers were around in World War Two. Yeah, you know, so there's not that much difference in the vehicle that they're each looking at. If he still to me, so, yeah, perhaps it was a time slip. And like you say, if we were only able to find it, perhaps as an account somewhere from some guy in World War Two. You never believe what happened when I was fun or just going off duty tonight or whatever. But yeah, and there it rests.
Speaker 5: You know, that would be amazing if you can find the other side of that account.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't it be brilliant? Wishing for a bit much there, I.
Speaker 5: Think, Yeah, yeah, you never know, maybe one day you'll find something like that.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean this is why, like I said, I specializing correlations, and my best correlations so far. Apologies to anybody's listened to me taught before, because I talk endlessly about this one because it fascinates me. There's a small village about I don't know, maybe fifteen miles north of me called Riseley in the north of Bedfordshire. It's only a tiny little village, and I started researching it right back in about twenty seventeen twenty eighteen time for my first volume of roadmap of British Ghosts, because I'd come across a little snippeted to an account that said a farmer was working on the ditch at the side of the road next to a hedge when he heard the sound of a galloping horse come towards him from the other side of the hedge. The horse suddenly burst through the hedge and galloped on down the road. Except there was no horse, it was just sound. And that was the little snippet of a ghost story that I found. And what I do then is I start with ones like that that were within my lifetime. That's my kind of base criteria, and then I go out on social media, or if I'm close enough, I'll even put posters up in shops or whatever in the local area. There is anybody willing to talk to me, has anybody experienced anything on this bit of wreck And I never say what exactly you know, I never say because I've heard of this story of this, you know, I just say, has anybody experienced an the can't explain or of a possible haunting or whatever. And to date, over the intervening years, as each book has come out and I've updated it and more people have seen it and got in touch, I think I'm up to about nine or ten accounts of it. And it's all around that village. It's not on that one lane. So I've got one where, just thinking off the top of my head, I've got one where a party of girls have been out on the local town for the night, you know, returning home to the village in the car late at night, traveling down the small little lanes that lead to the village. Cars headlights are on mainbeam, and ahead of them in the road, a horse jumps through the hedge, gallops across the road and through the hedge on the opposite side and outside. Except it's not a horse. It's just the outline of a horse. So it is just the outline that jumps through the hedge gallop and you can see through the rest of it, but it's just an outline. I've got somebody else whose cottage is on the High Street in the village, and their front door literally opens onto the high street. And they stepped out there at about midnight one night, probably for a cigarette or something, and they stood out just it was a lucky summer's evening, just sort of enjoying the evening. There aren't many street lights around there, so the village is very dark, and they heard a horse clip clopping down the high street. So they thought, well, who on earth is out riding a horse at this time of night. Oh my god, I wonder if somebody's stealing a horse. So they sort of start looking up the road to see this horse coming, and the sound clip clock clip clops down the high street right past them and down and fades away, never anything to see, just the sound of clip clock cliplop as it goes past. Another couple went to do a Sunday afternoon walk from the village and with their dog, and they thought they'd do a nice circular walk. They'd walk out the village down the lanes for a bit and then cut across some fields where there's a footpath, onto another lane, and then back into the village from the other end. Sort of thing, nice circular walk, and they're walking down the first lane, which has a high hedge on one side of it, and the whole time they're walking down this lane, the other side of this high edge, they can hear a horse snorting and stomping and generally getting quite upset, and they imagine it's getting upset because of the presence of their dog, which was of course on a lead at this point, because he's on the road, and they're discussing. The husband and wife are discussing, well, we've got to walk across a footpath there in a minute. When we turn at the end of this hedge, perhaps we ought to go a different way. What if the horses in the field. And husband said, well, let's just look round the edge of the hedge, because it might be that it's on the other side of a fence from where our footpath is going, in which case we're fine, we can keep on going, but if we've got across the field that the horse is in, we'd better not because it sounds really angry and upset by the dog. So they walked to the end of the hedge and the horse is stomping and snorting and carrying on the other side of the hedge, and they walk around the hedge the end of the hedge, and there from them is an open vistra fields as far as the eye can see, and not a single large beast of any description, let alone a horse. There's no cows, there's no sheep, there's no nothing. It's just an empty field. And yet the horse has been snorting until seconds earlier, right right so, and yes, so the CAP's caring like that. They cover three decades. None of them are quite the same as the other, but they all involver horse in some way. And what do you make of that? Well? What do you make? I have wondered whether I've I've found out that there used to be a hunting stables in the area, you know, a widely used one, back in the sort of late eighteen hundreds into the nineteen hundreds. Is it perhaps something to do with that? All over Britain there are sites where the Civil War was fought, or even earlier battles, and you know, we've got such a long history. Is it perhaps something to do with one of those? But there's no particular battle listed for that area, you know, no famous one or well known. It wasn't a skirmish or whatever in the area, Or have we got something like a trickster type spirit which here in the UK we'd call a boggot those of you with Harry Potter on the mind, or remember seeing boggots being used in fence against the dark arts magic. But essentially a boggot is a some kind of elemental entity that likes to just muck around and you know, play tricks on people. So have we got something like that. There is a pond on the far side of the village which actually me and my husband went to look at only a couple of months back, just because I wanted to actually look and see it, which very curiously is called Tommy Knocker's pond.
Speaker 5: Hmm.
Speaker 3: And when I say pond, when you actually get there, this is little more than a depression in the ground that occasionally fills up with water when it rains a lot. It's not really a pond. It's just a boggy bit and it's really small, you know, you could walk across it in ten strides maximum if it was dry. At the point we visited it, it was a bit muddy, but there wasn't any standing water despite it having rained most of the winter. The legend that goes with it is that it's called Tommy Knocker's pond because Tommy Knocker fell in it and drowned. But what bothers me about it is a Tommy knocker. It's an old Cornish term for a mischievous entity that lives underground in a mine, right, right, So the tin miners of Cornwall would talk about Tommy knockers or knockers. So I can't I can't bring myself to believe that that's a complete coincidence. There just happened to be somebody called Tommy Knocker right the way over here in Bedfordshire. I mean, we're a good we're a good sort of three hundred miles from Cornwall, you know, And that's not a term that's local to Bedfordshire, Tommy Knocker. We don't have mines here in Bedfordshire. So I just think that might be a much older legend that's kind of morphed over the centuries of perhaps a being that you know, was believed to be there or whatever, and perhaps that was more of a pond centuries ago, you know, and perhaps it had some sort of sprite or something supposedly attached to it, and maybe that's why the whole area still has, you know, some kind of equine entity bothering it. Who knows? You can speculate for hours about it, couldn't you?
Speaker 5: Oh? Absolutely? Have you ever looked at the proximity default lines the areas that have a lot of ghost activity?
Speaker 3: No, I genuinely haven't. I had somebody contact me once who was very interested in wanting to do that, and I said I was absolutely happy to share data with him for him to go and do some mapping, but unfortunately never got back to me, which is a real shame because I think it would be really interesting. I've had some people say, what about fault lines. I've had some people say what about lay lines, which we've got a lot in the UK allegedly if you accept the lay line theory. And I've had a lot of people talk about just general energy lines. You know, is there such a thing?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, I mean at least with the fault lines we know without doubt they exist.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is an absolutely scientific explanation for what a fault line is. Isn't that?
Speaker 5: And I mean Paul Devereux went across the UK and showed that the majority of your first settings happened very very close proximity to fault lines. Yes, and that always fascinated me because you know that that definitely takes it out of the extraterrestrial thing right there. You know, like that makes no sense if you're looking at spacecraft.
Speaker 3: No, but if you're looking at earthlights or something like that, yeah, causing the phenomena, then yeah, you've got something of interest, and I have got I don't. I don't write about UFOs purely because you have to draw the line somewhere when you're writing a book, because otherwise the books get I mean, as it is, I struggle to get the books to a small enough size to make them sell enough, you know, make them syllable. This current one i'm writing, I'm relevant. I'm already up to five hundred and ten pages and I'm still in the you know, research stage. So you can imagine that's going to have to have a massive edit down cup before I can publish it, because if I published it at five hundred and ten pages, nobody to be able to want to buy it. So and that's just sticking with you know, kind of hauntings and a little bit wider. I touch a little bit on cryptids and just because they kind of fit in with hauntings sometimes. But I also get a little bit of light anomalies because again they fit in around poltergeist and haunting sometimes. And if I'm researching an area that I don't know supposed to have a woman in white ghost or something, but somebody comes to me and said, I had a really weird experience along that road with an orb of light that followed me, then I'm going to include that because you know, I'm not going to dismiss it just because well, that could be a UFO story. Well it could be, but it could also be an earthlight story. It could be a spirit orb story. It could be a Will of the Wisps type entity story. You know that there's lots of ks when they you could find for that. But the fact is it happened in the geographical area I'm interested in, so I do get light anomalies.
Speaker 5: The thing about light anomalies I've said forever is that if someone sees a light in the house, it's a ghost. They see it in the sky, well now it's a UFO. They see it in the woods, it's like the fay or whatever. But in the end, it's all light like. Yes, you look around all these different varied phenomena and the most common thing you see is both light and poltergeist activity.
Speaker 3: Yes, I absolutely agree. And most of the light phenomena that I have that people have taught me about, you know, firsthand accounts are balls of light. Yeah, the majority are balls of light of varying sizes, and most of them are say, between ground height and the top of a tree like.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 3: There's very few that going higher than that. The accounts I have, I didn't say there aren't plenty that do want that, but just in the accounts I've been given, and they range from sort of marble sized to basketball sized. And I've even got one account where two men witnessed it, and about ten of these balls of light came out of the hedge, and they ranged in size between those two extremes, and they floated all around them and sort of followed them and hung around them for a good three or four minutes. I think it was before just sort of floating off from dissipating. And he has no explanation for it other than he says it was one of the most beautiful things he's ever seen. Yeah, you know, and I have another chap who sent me photographs of the place where it happened. He was just out walking his dog one day, broad daylight, and a ball of light suddenly bounced across the little clearing in the woods he was in ahead of him and sort of bounced around all the weeds and in and out and what have you, and then bounced off again. And of course he was so gobsmacked as it was doing it, he didn't think to pull his camera out. He pulled his camera out afterwards and took a picture of where it happened so they could sort of say, look, this is where it was in and out of these weeds sort of thing. But but yeah, who knows, who knows how it all links together. But the fact that links, I think is becoming more apparent with the more data I gather, you know, and I definitely get clusters of happenings, and I get the statisticians listening out there will be screaming their heads off. At this point, I know, I understand that there is a data bias there because there is very nature of what I'm doing. I'm going to cause a data bias because I am going out on social media to a specific location. So let's say, for the sake of argument, the village of let's say Amesbury in Wiltshire, which is one where I know I have about twenty different accounts of things happening. I start with one bit I ask on social media media, people come back to me with their answers. That's going to cause a data bias because it's only people in Amesbury that are answering me. It's not the next village over necessarily unless they happen to be on that social media page. I am necessarily narrowing my data, Paul on I of who I can go out to, and then it gets narrow even further because the very nature of social media these days, I can put a post out today and in any form of real analysis, that is likely to only stay as a live, interactive post for a maximum of five to seven days if I'm lucky and people engage with it. If I'm really lucky, it will pop up a year or two later when somebody searches something, and then it'll get another little flurry of activity when somebody likes it or comments on it. But in real terms, it pops up on people's feeds social media feeds whilst people are commenting, and then it fades into the background as something else floats along, you know. And that's the nature of the Internet and social media.
Speaker 5: Isn't it That.
Speaker 3: Narrows my feeling? And even further doesn't it, you know, as to who actually sees my post, you know, and therefore what data I get. But I argue back to that, Yeah, I get that that is statistically not valid and so on. But by the same token, given that narrowing that necessarily happens because trying to speak to the public, imagine how many more I would find if there was some blanket way, which of course there isn't, but if there was, or saying, right, this piece of road from point A to point B, I want everybody who's ever driven along it to answer me whether or not they've had anything odd happen there, Imagine how many more I would be finding because the high percentage I'm finding with the little narrow slide of humanity I'm managing to get hold of.
Speaker 1: A cast recommends.
Speaker 2: I'm grable too of our latest show on talkSPORT Ireland, Green with Envy. I'm going to be joined every week during the FIFA World Cup twenty twenty six by former Ireland internationals Darren Randolph and Alan.
Speaker 4: Judge will dissect the action as it happens and get the lad's opinion on the biggest talking points from the tournament.
Speaker 2: Watch every episode on the talkSPORT Ireland YouTube channel, or listen on any podcast platform and Theonic player.
Speaker 1: A cast is home to the world's best podcasts, including Crime World, the Other Hand and the one you're listening to right now.
Speaker 5: What do you think the percentage would be between people who have never had anything weird on that road and versus people who have. I would think it would be a pretty low percentage of people who have had experiences, but maybe higher than other places.
Speaker 3: Yes, I would suspect so, but counter that with when I'm I mean, you can imagine I do a lot of I do a lot of in person talks, you know, you know where I'm physically in the room with the people I'm talking to, right And I do a lot of podcasts, radio interviews, that sort of thing. So, and then I talked to all the witnesses and so on. So I'm talking to a lot of people about the paranormal basically, and I can guarantee you that ninety nine. People will say to me, Oh, I've never seen anything, or I don't believe in This is when I'm not talking to people that are specifically interested in the paranormal, because that's they're a different category. You know, they're already interested in the subject. This is the general public that I'm trying to engage with about the paranormal. And people will say to me, oh, I don't believe in ghosts. That's a load of all, Tosh, that's a load of nonsense. I don't believe in the paranormal. I'm not interested in paranormal. Mind you, there was this one time when and they'll go ahead and they'll tell me this amazing little snippet of a story of something that happened to them that is clearly something paranormal, right, And you sort of think, I don't know how you can still say you don't believe in it when it's happened to you. And honestly, I get the tiniest little percentage of people that say they've had nothing ever in their whole life. Most people have had at least something once that I managed to talk to. And then when you if you speak to people like you and me, that are immersed in the paranormal normal and talk to other people who are interested. Then of course that you know, increases exponentially. We've all had some sort of experience. That's why we're interested in it, you know, that's why we talk about it and so on. So but yeah, just even in the general public, so many of them like, oh, that's absolute rubbish. It's absolutely rubbish. Well, actually, at that time, when I was driving along that road and such and such happened, So yeah, I think it's a lot more prevalent than we give it credit for. To be honest, I.
Speaker 5: Also find that people will be like, yeah, I don't really have anything parent Well, there was that one thing, and then the more they think about it, they're like, there was also this other thing. Yes, and then there's one day this happened, and the next thing, you know, they have a list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then you can almost if you're managing to speak to them face to the face or by video or whatever, you can almost see the penny drop cut. It's like, oh, hang on a minute, I've actually experienced quite a bit.
Speaker 5: They just each time something happens, they just dismiss it because they don't believe in it, Yeah, because because.
Speaker 3: They don't believe in it. But I think the other reason is they have no frame of reference to file it under because it's not a subject they're interested in. It's like if I if you and I were sitting here talking now, and you were talking about knitting patterns for the sake of argument, we might have a very interesting conversation about knitting for this period of time, but I would walk away and completely forget about it because I'm not interested in knitting, right, you know, So it would go in one ear, have a nice chat about it out the other. And I think that's what happens with people who have zero interest in the paranormal. Something happens, it goes in, They've got nowhere to file it, so it just goes out again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know, and they.
Speaker 3: Don't think about it. It's it's the ones that, for whatever reason, it sparks an interest like it did in me, like it obviously did in you. You know that we then start holding onto the data and thinking about the data and looking to see who else has got data about it, you know, information about it, and then we get you know, frames of references and things that we can start filing information away in in our heads, and it starts to you know, have a place in your busy mind, doesn't it.
Speaker 5: So what you said you had numerous theories about poultry gist? What what what are some of those?
Speaker 3: Well? This gets quite interesting, because well I think it gets quite interesting. Nobody else probably say we've shut up, you're being really born. But what would you say is the definition? You personally would say is the definition of a poltergeist? Oh?
Speaker 5: To me, I look at it as poultrygeist energy. So I think it's the manifestation of energy, probably coming from us and either unconsciously controlled by us or controlled by something else outside of us, not necessarily exclusively.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So when you say manifestation of energy, do you mean like it can make a sound or move something?
Speaker 5: Right, there's an actual physical, something psychokinetic energy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, cool. That tends to gel with Most people I speak to will think of that as we have a poltergeist if we're getting things moved, you know, or sounds being made.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So, when I started this analysis daya base of mine, I I set up a tab for poltergeists, and I set up a tab for hauntings, thinking, in my mind, these are two different things. A house can be haunted, or a house can have a poltergeist, or a building or whatever. Yeah, a location, let's say, and I put in the poltergeist tab everything where somebody said to me, we've got a poltgeist, whatever kind of location that was, and I split down what they could be experiencing, which we sounds, smells, items moved, miscellaneous other things that didn't appear often enough to get a category all of their own shadow figures. There's a weird atmosphere of some description. Hearing footsteps, doors or windows being opened or shut, or cupboards or whatever, you know, things being opened and shut, pets reacting to it, some sort of exorcism or cleansing has taken place. They think there's some sort of monster or portal type thing in the house. They've been physically attacked in some way, they have heard voices, they've caught something on either camera or video, or there's animal type ghosts in there. So that's how I split the data that people were telling me about poltergeists. Okay, and of those, I have thirty nine accounts across the ten books, So thirty nine accounts where people said to me, this is a poltigeist hauntings tab I have. If I just scam quickly down across the ten books, I have seven hundred and four accounts, so as you can see wildly bigger number of hauntings. However, I quickly realized that I needed to split it into sound, smells, items moved, miscellaneous shadow figures, atmospheres, footsteps, doors and windows being open the shut, pets reacting, exorcisms or cleansings done, animal ghosts, voices or whispers being heard, being touched as opposed to being attacked, some sort of photograph videotaken, and or light anomalies. And when you look at that, and you scan down my seven hundred and however many I just said entries, so many of them. I haven't done the maths on it, but I find very very few that don't have a large prop of those, including all the sounds and things being moved, And you suddenly think, oh my, most people will say I've got a haunting. From what they actually mean, if we use yours mind definition, I've got a poltergeist. They prahctic, just don't know the word, they don't think of it in those terms. Whatever. But so many, you know, when I scan down. I have the odd one which there's just shadow figures or whispers heard, or a little bit of miscellaneous or the pets reacted or something. Most of them have four or five of those categories ticked. And then you start to think, oh wow, so poltergeists moving things, throwing things, about, opening and closing things, making weird noises like footsteps or banging or a sound of voices in you know, rooms where there's nobody in there happens way more often than you would think. In fact, it happens in I venture to say at least half of the cases. At least half, you know, I would need to sit down, and actually I'm not very good at maths, so I honestly it is my weak point. Yeah. So you know, when I sit down and sort of try to do this stuff, it takes me hours because I have to double check it again and again to make sure I've got the maths right. I have got a friend of mine who's going to start helping me with this, so that might speed things up a little bit, but just that initial data. But in mind, I only finish this in creating this database in February is already showing up that that, Oh wow, I think portergeists are way more prevalent than we originally assumed they were, more certainly than I originally assume they were. The other thing that springs straight to mind is oh wow, that's weird. Where I started this journey ten years ago, I genuinely thought, genuinely that a black shuck was a medieval construct in the UK. So, for any of the listeners that don't know, a black shuck in the UK is a large, black spectral dog about the size of a calf, normally often with red glowing eyes, often said to be a harbinger of doom, occasionally said to be a protector, but more often a harbinger of doom of some sort. Could be likened to a hell hound in modern parlance. And you know, they're a very old legend that's prevalent in quite a few chunks of the UK, mostly in East Anglia. They've spread about other bits of east of the UK a bit, however, ten years in I now have thirty six accounts across the ten books of people in my life seeing a black chuck. Okay, so we're clearly not talking a medieval construct anymore, are we. It's it's not a you know, it's not like hugely seen all the time or anything. But these are just the people I've come across, and yet I have, you know, thirty six of them, and it makes you start to think, oh, right, okay, So if a black shuck still exists that we thought was just a legend from the Middle Ages, you know, just to keep children in an it or else a black shuck or get them sort of thing, right, but it's actually a thing. People are seeing them. What what does that then tell us about the modern alien big cat sightings. That's a good question, because you know, we get the big We get the flaps, don't we. Yeah, yeah, you know, and certainly here in the UK we've had several big flaps over the years. There was one where that the army was called out, I want to say in the eighties, sometimes might have been the nineties because there were several sightings and some livestock attacked and they thought they had a rogue lion or leopard or something or black panther sort of roaming around one of the moorlands in the UK. And we have these flaps of you know, there's a big cat sighting and people are assuming that it's an escaped big cat. Particularly around the point where the dangerous wild Animal's license was introduced in the UK, there was a whole spad of sightings and people assumed people were kind of shoving their pet, lion or whatever out the door because they didn't want to try and get a license for it, right, you know, so that they were sort of shoving them out the door, or you know, driving along and turfing about the car or whatever, and these things were then left defend for themselves. Bless them. But I'm now looking at that, I'm thinking why in the UK are the majority of alien big cat sightings a black cat, when in nature, not many big cats are actually black, are they?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Are we actually looking at way more sightings of black sharks. But people are categorizing it in a way that makes sense in our modern way of thinking because they don't know about black black shucks. They're not into folklore, they're not into you know, they haven't read about medieval history or whatever. They never heard of a black shark. So when they see something big and black, and they know people talk about wild cat's being released, they think they're seeing a black panther. People always think it's a black panther, but they're actually they're so rare in nature, a black big cat. If there were big cats roaming around the UK, they would be lions or whatever, you know, which are golden walad you know, or leopards which are obviously you know, spotty, or which are obviously stripey. They wouldn't be black. So I'm starting to think, have we actually got, without realizing it, way more accounts of whatever this entity is than we think we have. And then you start to think, what about the sightings of wolf type creatures that we have in the UK, which I don't generally touch on much because we're straying too far into the cryptid, you know, sort of territory. So I've got a couple of them, but it's not something I've particularly looked into. But I'm aware that we get quite a few supposed wolf sightings. Is this all actually the same thing just getting described differently?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Almost, given the crime the person has, you know.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of this stuff is us describing similar things differently because we don't have a paradigm for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, you know, because I've always said, if you get five witnesses in a room and you have a person and this is part of what we were, you know, taught when we were actually interviewing witnesses for criminal cases and what have you. And somebody runs into that room and steals a handbag, saying, runs back out again, and you immediately separate the five witnesses so they don't get a chance to talk about it, and you asked them each what did you just see? What was he wearing, what did he look like? Blah blah blah. You will get an overall similar description. A person ran in, he stole the bag, and ran back out again. But then you'll get loads of little discrepancies. One will remember he had a hat. One will think he doesn't didn't have a hat. One will think he was older, one will think he was younger. One will think he was wearing dark trousers. One will think he was wearing genes. All these little discrepancies will because when something happens that people aren't expecting, they don't have time two log well what they're looking at, yes, so they just get kind of a snapshot and it goes into their memory.
Speaker 5: You know, there's also the fact that our perceptions aren't very good.
Speaker 3: No, and neither are our memories exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now you imagine that same room with the five witnesses. This time you get something paranormal to happen in front of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now you've got five people whose perceptions aren't great, memories aren't great, all the same biases, you know, they've got different backgrounds and what have you. Are all there, But now they have no frame of reference for what they just saw.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: So then their minds are going to latch onto whatever frame of reference they happen to have from either their upbringing or their cultural references or what they've seen on TV or read in books, whatever, whatever. So one might say, oh I saw an angel. One might say I saw an alien. One might say I saw a fae come into the room. One might say I saw a weird flash of light. One might say I saw a ghost. When an actual fact, they all saw the same thing, but they just don't know how to describe it, so they use a frame of reference that makes sense to their memory cells.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's happening more generally.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that all happens in a split.
Speaker 3: Second, Yes, an absolute split second.
Speaker 5: The Actually, I was going to say, we have to take a quick, quick, break, but we'll be right back quick midshow break. Here are some contact info and a recommendation. In contact info is pretty simple. Where did the Roadgo dot Com is where you can find everything where did the Road Go? Related. You can also become a patron for just three dollars a month and that gets you commercial free shows a couple weeks early and some extra content with almost every show, plus bonus stuff on top of all that. And it's all three dollars for the for the month, and you will not be disappointed if you enjoy this show, and it helps out immensely, all right, And you can find that at where DoD Theroadgo dot com. There's a big link around the main page. So as for a recommendation, I'm going to go with something from a while ago. I think I recommended it before, but it's a quirky movie called Dave Made a Maze. I don't even want to try and explain it. It is incredibly creative and different, and yeah, that's I'm gonna recommend people check that out if you like stuff that's quirky and weird in a little bit dark in spots, but also in a weird way. So yeah, Dave made a maze. All right. Back to the show. I'm here with Ruth Roper Wilde and we're talking about well, ghosts and the paranormal, and I was just going to say something, uh man, I've already forgotten what it was before the break, I was gonna, Oh, I know what it was. I've also pointed out that you get a lot of weird monster encounters, like cryptids, things that are like one offs. And I always wonder if you're if people are coming across almost like a wandering bit of consciousness right, something that they've never encountered before, it's totally novel. Their brain instantly goes, I don't know what this is. Well, things I don't know are scary. What else is scary? Well, monsters are scary. Oh my god, it's a monster.
Speaker 3: I would place, quite happily place a bet that that's true, you know. And I think when we have children, particularly very little children, who say there's a monster in the room or under the bed, or you know, the typical little child with a monstering I often wonder should we not be dismissing that quite as easily as we do these days, and should we actually be having a look under that bed and just make sure for you know, there's nothing we hare donder there, because you know, I have some very very odd accounts of things people saw, and just I'm going to give you this account, Ruth. I don't know what you're going to do with it, but it's what happens. So here you are, I'm handing it over to you. It's almost like an unburdening of their memory cell, you know, sid to get it out of my head because I don't know what to do with it, right, you know, I can think of somebody who can't for the life and remember what sort of building it was. But it was an old building. Might have been a church, but it was quite an old building anyway, and it was late in the evening from what I remember. I can't remember why they were walking past, but something caught their eye and they glanced across and saw what they thought was a cat, just ordinary household cat sitting on the window sill of this building, or a bit of a ledge or something, and they were just about to sort of glance away again, you know, not give it a second thought, when it kind of half scrambled off the ledge and half went down the wall and half unfolded some wings and sort of kind of half flu and half slid out of sight somehow as a sort of dark somehow winged almost gargoyley, who knows what sort of shape and then they, yeah, they were sort of left with that awful Did I see that? Did I just actually see that? Was that my imagination? And am I overtired?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 3: And what do you do with that? Is you is your brain trying to give a shape to something that has no shape? Or did it actually have that shape? And we're talking about the same thing when we talk about monsters. Yeah, who knows, who knows? Even one thing I would write to say is I don't get very many portals, which I'm very glad to say, because you know, I think that is very much just a modern Hollywood type.
Speaker 5: What do you mean by portals?
Speaker 3: People? A lot of the ghost shows at the moment they talk about portals to allow demons through whatever, to allow ghosts through or what have you. I get very few people saying to me, I think I've got a portal in my house. I do get it occasionally, and I do say to them, what do you mean by a portal? And you know, generally then when you actually pin them down, explain a portal to me. What your meaning? Well, I just meant that, you know, a lot of ghosts seem to come through here, right, Okay, so you haven't actually got a vortex or a whole aura, you know whatever, a tunnel to another dimension or whatever. I think it's just one of those words that slipped into modern parlance and is now over used dramatically. Yes, I'm very very anti portals, so very anti orbs that are only seen on the camera, particularly if it was a digital camera. And yeah, I frequently post pictures on my social were not frequently, but every now and again, just to make a point of I like to take pictures of my dog, as we all do, and I will deliberately aim the camera straight at the sun to take a picture of him, to get an ORB next to him, and then you know, I'll post it on my social regent saying that is not an orb, people, this is a camera artifact. This is what happens when there's a light source.
Speaker 5: Right right. And I've had that before and had to assure people that in the picture, Nope, that was a reflection of a light.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think my funniest one of that was whenever I go anywhere in the UK, you know, on holiday, or to visit something, or you know, whatever, whatever reason I've got for traveling anywhere, I always look up whether there's any haunted roads near it that I've written about, so as I can drive down that road and take a picture and put it on my social media. Yeah, partly out of interest sate, but partly you know, we've got to do a bit of advertising, haven't you. You've got to do a bit of marketing, right, And I happened to be in the Isle of Wight one year on holiday and there was this particular little country lane where the road went on a sharp bend round a little church, and this bend was meant to be haunted. So apartd the car up right sunny day, took a picture of this cute little country lane with the church in the background, and I posted it on my social media saying something like this is the haunted lane at whatever church in whatever road it was in the Isle of Wight, and then carried on driving, you know, me and my husband on holiday, but I could hear my phone in my handbag and ping, and when we got a chance to stop next well, it had absolutely gone mad on which was Twitter at the time, with people answering me said, oh my god, I can see the ghost. I strayed with it. Really have I accidentally managed to catch a picture of a ghost. So I'm scrutinizing the picture that I've taken. I can't see anything. So I started answering all these people and saying, can you show me where you can see the ghost. By the end of the day, I kid you not sayah. People had sent me back the photo dozens of times with a little red circle drawn where they see the ghost, and the entire picture was covered in little red circles if you've merged them all together, and it was all just paradelia. And what had actually happened when I looked at my post again, was I had, in the hurry of being part at the side of the road, taken a picture, had badly used apostrophe in the sentence, and you could read it not this is a haunted lane, but this is a picture of the haunting in the lane. You could misread the word written it, and I think a lot of people had misread it and thought I was saying, he has a picture of the ghost. So then they started looking for.
Speaker 5: The ghost right right right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So then paradelia kicked in and it was all because I had badly worded a sentence. And it just shows you, doesn't it. How witness testimony, although really useful in our field, you do at the same time have to be quite careful with it.
Speaker 5: Sure sure.
Speaker 3: To lead, isn't it? Without even meaning to?
Speaker 5: There was I'm sure people are tired of this story, but it just blew my mind many many years, like over a decade ago. It was this local ghost hunting group that was part of their I wasn't part of their group. I was in there like like using that group or Yahoo group or whoever it was. And the main guy there would take people out to different locations and they'd constantly get orbs. And the one that really got me was they were walking through a cemetery in the middle of the night and they took a picture of this grave and there was nothing there.
Speaker 9: And then they.
Speaker 5: Walked past the grave and now it's also summer, it has high grass all over it. Yeah, and they go, oh, I don't know, I feel something, turn around and take a picture. And they turn around and took a picture and oh my god, it's full of orbs. And I'm like, yeah, I'd be shocked if it Wasn't you just stirred up all that pollen and insects and peah dust and everything else.
Speaker 3: And probably a little bit new if it's at night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it's like, really you think this is proof of Like, okay, well whatever, you know. But I've had a few that I always put in the maybe column because they were so weird. Yes, there was one time we were following we had done a bunch of photos at this cemetery that we've had weird stuff happened at plenty of it, and we were following this cold spot. It was in the middle of summer and there was this very noticeable cold spot and we were following it around and my friend at one point says, she holds out her hand. She goes, it's right above my hand. Take a picture. So I take a picture, and right above her hand is an orb and it looks like it looks like dust. But it's not in any other picture we took. And I'm like, okay, the fact that it's not in any of the other pictures and it's exactly where you said it was gives it at least a point, you know, like this.
Speaker 3: Is this at least gives it the question mink.
Speaker 5: Yeah. The other one same cemetery actually, but during the day I had gone there with my regular co host Saxon, and I had taken a bunch of pictures with my DSLR, and I just randomly took a picture of this grouping of trees and when I looked at it later, in front of every single tree is an ORB and it's not in any of the other pictures, and I'm like, what the hell. Yeah, we also had rocks thrown us from on top of a waterfall just a little time before this.
Speaker 3: That is weird. So it's like that was yet.
Speaker 5: And the other one I had, which is just it falls in that high strangeress category. I have a pretty decent sized house and so the studios in the front, where I normally do spend most of my time is in the very and I'm in the back working on some video editing, and I had this time lapse footage and when I opened it up, it wasn't time lapse footage, it was just regular like it was running at normal speed with audio. I'm like, what the hell. And I'm looking at this, going no, this is the time lapse. What's going on? And then the fire alarm goes off in the front of the house. So I'm like, oh crap, And I stopped the video and I run up to the front of the house. The fire alarm's not going off anymore. I'm like, Okay, that was weird. Well, I have cameras in all the rooms, so I'm like, let me pull it back and see if I can figure out what set the fire alarm off, you know, because now I'm a little concerned. Yeah, And the camera from the room next to the camera from the studio, which is right next to the room the fire alarm went off. In. Just before the fire alarm goes off, there is this swarm of little orbs that just appear in front of the camera and swirl, and then the fire alarm goes off. I've never seen that before. I was unable to recreate it, like I went around to hit all the couches and the chairs and stirred up all the dust, and nothing like that happened.
Speaker 3: And that's when it gets really interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yes, those are the rare occasions. Those are the rare occasions where I go okay, oh also, And then when I went back into the other room the same file. I clicked on it and it was the time lapse, and I went, the hell is going on right now?
Speaker 3: That is really odd?
Speaker 5: Like I said, one of the more high strangeness things. The other thing I noticed, so the studio I'm in that I'm recording in. Both of my parents died in this room many years apart. My dad died in two thousand and six, my mom didn't die till twenty eighteen, but literally a few feet away from each other in the room. And when I went around and hit all the couches and stuff to see if I can re created, and I stepped back, I realized I was standing right between where the two of them died, and on either side of me, a very bright white orb came from the floor up. And I looked at that when that's literally where they died.
Speaker 3: And you could see the orb with your own eyes.
Speaker 5: Or on camera, not only on the camera.
Speaker 3: On the camera, huh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't see anything. I didn't see dust or anything when I hit everything with my own eyes.
Speaker 3: But just these two that is odd, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean there was dust from the from the couches too, but the first thing you see are those two bright orbs right next to me.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting because I took some friends of ours. There's there's three couples been friends for a lot of years, and the last couple of years we've started trying to go and do something a bit more interesting than just grabut to dinner, you know. And so last summer we'd gone to an air show that did a you know, late night flying a vintage era planes to music and there were fireworks and you know all that. We had a great time. At the end of the night was sort of what do we do next? You know, what's the next thing? And the two couples said to me and my husband, well, why don't we do something with your paranormal stuff? Is you know right, let's go to a haunted hotel or something that you'd be interested. So I was like, yeah, okay, thinking yeah, I'm not sure you're going to enjoy that much because you and I both know that most of going to watch for the paranormal is sitting watching paint dry, Right, nothing happened? I thought, well, yeah, okay, you know, so I sort of chose a couple of possible hotels and got them to sort of decide what budget they wanted to spend for night away. And anyway, long story short, we chose this hotel which I won't name on air, but it's essentially in a tiny little English village and the hotel itself is at least six hundred years old and has been a hotel for the whole of that time. And we had three bedrooms for the three couples that were all next to each other along and Elizabethan landing in the oldest part of the hotel, and one of the bedrooms they were sleeping in a four poster bed where the bed itself was four hundred years old.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: So we had a really nice meal and we had quite a bit to drink, and then we went out to the rooms and I sort of played around with some EVP work and semesties method work and had just bought myself a in from Red Cameras. We had a little go with that, just you know, sos they could get a taste for what goes on it. And frankly, nothing much happened. A few little bits, but nothing very much. But we were having a nice evening, friends having a time out. Ye gets to bedtime, we all separate to our various bedrooms. One of the couples that's in the bedroom with the four poster bed, she goes off to the bathroom. He's laying on the bed and he'd been really hoping to have something happen, so he decided to take some photographs around the room just in case the picture picks anything up. So you can imagine he's laying on this four poster bed and he's kind of doing a click move the camera a bit, click move the camera bit to get like a panorama of the room, you know. So he's looking through the camera screen when he sees a born of light shoot across the room through the camera scheme screen he's looking through. So he tries to follow it with the camera to get a picture of it, and manages to snap a picture of it and then take several more pictures because he's remembered what I said about it's really important that people try and you know, capture it and try and replicate it. So the next morning at breakfast, he's come excitedly down to take me. He said, allway through, so I think I've got an ORB and I've kind of rolled my eyes internally, you know, thinking I don't want to disappoint my friend, but the chances of this being actual or but like zero to not much above zero, you know, but I'll try and let him down lightly. So he shows me the pictures immediately leading up to it. Absolutely nothing in them, no orbs, no dust, no light bounces, no lens flares, nothing, just pictures of the room. Then we get to the picture where he managed to catch this all up and take a picture as he's swinging the camera across, and I go to say, no, no, it's just and then I looked again, and I thought, hang on a minute, and I sort of enlarged the picture and looked at it really carefully, and this little light and normally that is caught on camera at that moment, happened to be passing across the radiator in the room, the modern radiator, and you can see where it's stippling in and out on the shape of the radiator that stibles in and out. So it was an actual light hitting the radiator that he managed to capture. So I kind of went, huh, that's odd, and he said, yeah, yeah, Now look at the next one, right, okay, so I flick on another one, the second one after that. Standing between him on this bed and the radiator that's maybe I don't know, say ten twelve feet away, is a large white figure. Oh, only vaguely a figure, so it has a vaguely head and shoulder shape, and then it's just straight down from there. I went, huh, that doesn't look like a lens flare. They went, no, no, now, look at the next one. So I flick on to the next one. Not a thing in it, it's all gone. So the photos immediately eating up to nothing of any interest. These two photos something weird, several photos taken after nothing of any interest. I thought, well, that shut me up about poop pooing orbs every time, because just every now and again, you know, you do capture one that's weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So it's not that they don't exist people out there, but just be a bit more discerning about which ones are and which ones aren't.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 5: I think also people don't understand, especially if they're using infrared, how much stuff can look weird when it's not. Yes, I had one in one of my barns, just to see what animals were getting in there, and at some point it was almost certainly a spider, but it was just in the infrared beam in a way where it just looked like a blob floating in the air. You and it's like it's moving. I'm like, it's a spider. It's moving like a spider, even though it looks like a glowing blob. And I put it up on Facebook just because it was kind of fun, you know, it was an interesting video. But I'm like, I'm pretty sure this is a spider. I'm like, but it looks pretty neat. And people are like, no, way, that's not a spider. That's something weird, and I'm like, no, I'm pretty sure. It's moving like it's on a web. It's a spider. You know, it's getting hit with the infrared. It's not focused. I had that happen with a spider web on one of my outdoor cams where I'm looking at it and I'm seeing what looks like two eyes and they're just kind of floating and I'm going, all right, what is that? And you know, and it's like coming and going and getting higher and lower, and I'm like, i have no idea what I'm looking at. And finally I went outside behind the barn and as I get out there, I realized that's a spider web. Those are just the thick portions of it.
Speaker 3: Yeahs where the webs join. Yeah yeah, yeah, I get it. Yeah. It enough to catch ye bounce the light back sort of thing on those bits. It was.
Speaker 5: It was consistent enough where I'm like, this is something normal. I just don't know what it is, can't.
Speaker 3: Figure it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but again it looked weird. It looked like two floating orbs or eyes just in front of the camera.
Speaker 3: Oh, Jenna, Honestly, I could write I could write another book on just times I've made a fool of myself whilst hunting there. I think my best ever was walking down a dark country lane, very spooky, very old lane in the UK, and it was not fully nighttime, so it was that awful late dusk where your eyes can't adjust to that lower light. They do better in fall dark. I can then kind of go to fall dark mode, so everything looks like a shadow and everything's You're squinting at everything, and ahead of me a shape cross the road and I think to myself, all, there's a really big dog in the road. Ahead of me. Oh my god, I wonder if that's a black shark. Well, it might just be a straight dog. Not that we get that many straight dogs in England, but we do get them occasionally. So I'm stood on this lane going here, boy here, boy, like this, and at that point my eyes kind of adjust a bit more, and this very pissed off looking deer it turns and looks at me as if to say, how stupid are you? Human? Look like talk and trots off, leaving me feel about an inch tall just being dissed by ada.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I mean, at least it was something harmless.
Speaker 3: Well true small mercies.
Speaker 5: I think we probably have time for one more story here, if you have a what's one of your favorite stories in your books?
Speaker 3: Do? I think one of my favorites is a really simple little story, like properly simple little haunting. Because I have a strict rule I never ever embellish what somebody tells me, so, however small, what they tell me is that's what goes in the book. And this particular account came from a village again not that far away from me. Actually I do cover the whole UK people, honestly, But it was a lady I met one of the talks I was giving, and she gave me this account from her childhood, and she had grown up in this village and from where they lived in their house, they were allowed her and our sister as sort of, you know, ten eleven years old, that kind of age, they were allowed to walk down their street along the high street a little bit to where the sweet shop was, buy some sweets and walk home again. And they had gone to do this one afternoon obviously, broad daylights, there are only little kids out, and they'd gone to the shop and they were walking back home, and just along the little bit of the high street that they walked along, in this tiny little village at that time, there was a row of derelict cottages that were right on the high street. Their front doors opened onto the high street, and they were definitely derelict because they had the roofs were all fallen in, you know, there was nobody living in them. So as they're walking along, chattering the two girls, you can imagine, and excited about the sweets they just bought, they walked past one of the windows as this one of these little derelict terrace cottages, and they're sitting in the window is an old lady, but instead of being an ordinary colors you know, colored hair, colored face, whatever, the whole figure is pale, creamy white, no other colors on it. But they could they could clearly see that she had, you know, nicely done hair, a kind looking face, some kind of topping with like a lace type collar of some description. And as they get level with the window, which is literally right next to them because the cossues open onto the street, the lady turns to them and smiles at them as they walk past, terrified the crap out of them because they realize it cannot possibly be an actual person because these buildings are completely derelict, there's no roof on them, nobody could possibly be sitting in there. So they race home and sort of frantically tell Mum, who assures them that no, no, somebody will just have been visiting the house. It's fine, but she said, you know, we didn't dare walk that way. For several months afterwards, we went the long way round to the sweet shop before we ever sort of plucked up courage to go back again, And when they did finally pluck up courage to go back along there again, they sort of double checked the one that they the lady had been in and it was absolutely definitely a derelict cottage. There is no way there was an old lady sitting in there in real life. So yeah, it was just one of those little moments in time where two little girls just walk past and the old lady ghost just turns and smiles at them. And although it terrified them even now years lady, she said, natural fact, the lady had a really kind face and it was a really nice smile. She didn't. It wasn't anything spooky horror story type thing. It was just an old lady who smiled at them. But because they knew that she looked wrong with being all faded out with no color right and shouldn't be in this derelict building that you know, they kind of knew instinctively that they were seeing a ghost. But yeah, sweet little story. But it's that kind of thing that just it calls my fancy.
Speaker 5: Right. Well, wellcome continue this conversation a Patreon segment. But where can people get your books? What are they called?
Speaker 3: So I have there's two main series, as The road Map of British Goes volume one and two. Just in the middle of doing volume three, and then there's these Haunted Time series which go to volume six. At the moment, they're all available on Amazon as paperback or ebook or to read for free if you have Kindle unlimited, and a couple of them are available as audio book narrated by the amazing Brennan's store from the Ghost Story.
Speaker 5: Guys, we might know him.
Speaker 3: You might know him so and he's he's working his way through my back catalog. So they will eventually all be available on audiobook and this sounds amazing. And you can find me mostly on Facebook, Twitter, Blue Sky Threads. I am on Instagram, but I tend to forget that one's there if I'm honest, but yeah, or you can just email me, which is just my full name, Ruth Roper Wilde, spelled the way I spell it at gmail dot com, so nice.
Speaker 5: And easy, wild It's wy so okay, like whiskey yankee, lima delta echo.
Speaker 3: So Ruth Roper wild No spaces at gmail dot.
Speaker 5: Com, all right, in no website, not at the moment.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to hold a hand up to that.
Speaker 5: That's fine. Most people just use social media nowadays anyway. Yeah, all right, Well, thank you very much for coming along and talking to us about this stuff. This was fascinating.
Speaker 3: It's been my absolute pleasure. I've really enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: I want to take a couple of minutes here to thank all of my patreons, and a special shout out to those of you pledging ten dollars or more. Greg Ross, Cherry, Trapezoid tactical Therapist, John Blackburn, Mark Smith, Madeline Ja, Marty Garza, Critter eighty, Alison Cook, super Inframan thirty six, Dingo, Sean Cosgrove, Matthew Sproll, Ruth Fortescu, Andrew Nichols, John Schretler, marth Artha, Christine Stuart Began, Mothman, Brenn, Mark Brady, Patricia Guia Quinta, Kevin Shrek, Lynz Jackson, Kay, Charles in Florida, Land of the Crazy and Communicable, Charles Davis, Kristin, l Jotto, Riker and Stark, Abby Allen Wright, Rectangle, Eric Citron, Kevin American Rambler, Sam Sharon thunder Boy, Eric Todd, An Watowski, Vincent Trewell, will Powell, Jay empty K, History and Coffee, Diane B. Beverly, Williamson, Jim and Sophie Victoria, John Bracken, Paul Jeffreys, Moon Baby, Janet's Planet, Ron dupre Laser Printer, jam M j Armstrong, Jack Huntington, Lauren McClain, Stacy S. Surewood, James Lindsay, Linda from Michigan, Billuminati, Strange Stories with the Seeker and Skeptic Podcast, Mark Shoemaker, Ron Duprey, Will Cherry, Tom Early Ritual, The Ghost Story, Guys, Tyler Glimstead, Liam Hohodoc Harrol Erry z Anna, Annabelle Smith, Caroline Walker, TDT Skunk Works, Craig Sagas, Doumei, Collin Carris, and Matthew Brown. Thank you all so very much. This show would not be what it is without your support. Well, if you enjoyed that we continue in a Patreon segment. I thought it was a great conversation with Ruth and as we said, well, we'll get around with Brennan at some point since he's done her books and he was the one that connected me with her. All right, I want to welcome a few new patrons. Michelle Sean Cosgrove, and I believe it's Frederic, but I'm not entirely sure, so I hope I got that right. Thanks for joining up, and I hope you liked the extra content. And if you want to become a patron, just go to where Dodthroad goo dot com. All right to take you out. I looked for a ghost song and I found a band that we actually had in studio years ago. They have a CD called Ghosts in Captivity. They're called god Astray. It's kind of electronic. And this is life as a ghost featuring porcelain siren. And that is what I'm going to take you out with. See you next time.
Speaker 9: You can Nick.
Speaker 8: Make the bostands of face, but nothing I can do connect ump.
Speaker 9: Different face.
Speaker 8: Of the soul, gestures of thecking cries.
Speaker 9: I at a glance and knew this.
Speaker 8: Oh voice to sympathize of moments and no the ages of my scars, the life limp behind my eyes, or even just.
Speaker 9: What color they are?
Speaker 7: Can I shout to such cons when the best ride called me? Can any want to be this smash your so got the far bay? I cannot be put off these bikes don't know, they don't know me.
Speaker 9: No such note nine ride.
Speaker 7: Can stay uns. I know if someone like the last left o the so just just oh theying crist Oh want a glance to moods os to sympathize, Oh the manton No the ages of my scars, life left behind my.
Speaker 8: Eyes, or even just the color they are?
Speaker 9: Can I read shot? Some slash col.
Speaker 7: The pass way from me? Can anyone want to be in? This slash feels so goddamn far Can I be one of these bags?
Speaker 9: Don't know? They don't know me? Flush note nine right, m flash.
Speaker 7: I'm black, I'm right here, I flash.
Speaker 9: I'm bla, I'm right here.
Speaker 7: Flush, I'm look, I'm.
Speaker 8: Ray here, I'm flash, I'm.
Speaker 9: Bl I'm ray.
Speaker 7: How can they made shocks with slush cause and the first ride for me?
Speaker 9: How can any want to me? This smash feels so goddamn far way? How can you be part of this way? Can they know me? Fish? None none Ride Ride nine Ride ri Ride.
Speaker 5: You have been listening to Where Did the Road Go? This show has brought you, in part by our patreons. You can find more at www dot Where did the Road goo dot com website designed by John Shooter. The intro for the show was reimagined by Andrew Hamm aka Lord happis on Spotify, and the voice is Psychekomire of Psyche Corporation. Artwork for the show resigned by Timothy Renner, Jeff Ritzman, and Nadim Mahi Bahi. General inquiries, comments, et cetera can be directed to contact at where did the Road Go dot com. Thank you, Thank you all for listening and for all the support w W w W dot Where did the Road Go dot com m HM