Speaker 1: Breaking down all the xes and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box sportsporteen fifteen eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Wind the Ball here on Fox Sports Sports two fifty on Steve Rivera.
Speaker 3: You're Mike Quinn. Have you got Henry with breaking news for the first story.
Speaker 4: The Saints have fired head coach Dennis Allen earlier today after losing seven straight games after starting the season two and zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're going to see that a lot a lot this year. One more coaches to being fired at the end of the year.
Speaker 5: Actually, yeah, there's a there's a coach you got fired after seven games. But uh, it's different, Yeah, it's different. Pros are a bit different. You gotta you gotta. You got an owner that is a billionaire. There's he can buy him out right, right, they do that. If you're an engineer, you figure out ada.
Speaker 3: I'll get there. I'll figure it out anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott will miss several weeks with the hamstring injury he suffered in yesterday's game versus the Falcons.
Speaker 3: Well that's good because he thinks his team sucks. It's like he's probably pretty happy about that. Did you see that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was They almost came back when he went out of the game.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, which, yeah, I don't know. The question is is this a talk aboution by subtraction? Yeah, no, exactly, talk about bios re worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, I know.
Speaker 2: It's like guys who are paying to me, to me, you know, I used to be a cowboy ten many years ago, and yeah, you just see these guys. Romo has a lot of a nice career, as they say, but he couldn't win and they were never gonna win with him.
Speaker 3: They're never gonna win with Dak either. I don't think so. I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Forty nine Ers running back Kristan McCaffrey has officially returned the practice, so he will have to be activated in the next three weeks to return the game time.
Speaker 5: Well, that should make fantasy football fans some happy. You know, the guy, the guy in front of me in my league, he picked McCaffrey. I thought I thought he was smart man. Damn yeh hasn't worked out very well for him. But yeah, it's gonna be uh, it'll be interesting he comes back.
Speaker 4: The Cardinals improved to five and four yesterday with a twenty nine to nine win over the Bears.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these guys have surprised the heck out of me because they were not doing well and then all of a sudden, Murray's playing really well and they're winning games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they look really they look really good. Their defense looked really good. I didn't pay him any attention to the game. But he's coming through. I mean, come on, he's a shorter quarterback who's done well. Now yeah, I mean, well, well again, they get him out of the pocket, right, They move him around. They don't try and play him like he's a big where he's a couple is batted down. But they get him out. They get him out, they get him moving next thing, you know. But he didn't run much. So, like I said that, they looked really good. Their running game was like on fire.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Yankees pitcher Garret Cole will stay on the four year, one hundred and four million dollar contract that he previously opted out on the team worked on it and came to agreement for that contract.
Speaker 3: You're okay with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's only thirty two thirty.
Speaker 3: I see, why didn't I see you that Wednesday thirty four? Yeah, Wednesday they were still in it. They were still playing it, right, what'd you think that was a horrible game? Horrible game?
Speaker 5: His assert inning that yeah, I mean it was it was one inning, but it was yeah, it was he still picture really Oh yeah, he did great, except he didn't cover first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that inning should have been over long before that. Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know the fact that he gets in there and he strikes out those two guys, including a tawny with bases loaded, is you know, that's top level stuff. He is arguably the best pitcher, right handed pitcher in baseball. Uh, Yank Yankees bringing him back is a bit of a no brainer. Now, can the Yankee sign Soto? That's gonna be the big one?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: The first day of college of basketball is today. The standout games we have Texas versus Ohio State and Baylor versus Gonzaga.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's gonna be a good game tonight, right will be that's in the Spokane or somewhere, no road somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know the Texas Ohio State games in Vegas.
Speaker 3: What's uh, what's Texas rated nineteen?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, they're not that high. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's in Spokane starting at eleven thirty Easterns. Yeah, the Arizona women's team will start their season today at four pm against UT Arlington.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's right now, yep. It'll be interesting to see how they. Uh, you go to a lot of those games. We do go to a lot of those games, and you know, we're you know, pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: I tell you.
Speaker 5: She got those women to play so hard. Yeah, I mean they had they had essentially five players and then to watch volleyball players, you know, and it was like or a volleyball player and a track a track star, and he played so hard. Arguably, last year was probably her whatever better coaching jobs because of what those circumstances. But the circumstances to get there are kind of like how did this happen?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: How did we get to the point where we're playing five players? Well a lot of it was injuries, but a lot of it was people transferring, you know, wanting to get out of there. I mean, the word was like going, uh, you know, I'm transferring because she wants to focus on defense.
Speaker 3: I don't do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't do that. It's like, yeah, but could I get my last nil checked? Your probably exactly? Please please get a cash this thing, yes, mail me my and I is that cashier's place that you know in the corners. They have a rate check cashing place.
Speaker 4: The men's team will also start their season tonight with a a PM game against Kinesis.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna hate these schedules. At eight o'clock. I'll be done writing by midnight. Yeah, yeah, well they're nothing to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I you know, as you know, I always stay up and read your articles because I'm fascinated by them looking for I mean, well, that's that's the thing about it. I mean I would like to see I'd like to see more games, but I mean eight pm start time. Come on, they gotta sell pillows and sofas at the at the place. They should get a good idea exactly.
Speaker 4: Spurs coach Greg Popovich will be out and definitely after suffering a health issue during saturdays.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 5: Really. Well, he's already prepared for the election, Pops. Yeah, exactly. He's he's he's a bit old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but yeah not really. I don't know, is he old? He's got seventy maybe, I don't know. You've a been old? Yeah old me?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm very old. Dare laughing my daughter. Don't ask kids if you're because you're going to be. They'll tell you the U. But yeah, pop, well, I wouldn't be coaching in the NBA if i'd been had been coaching all those many years.
Speaker 3: It's not like he's got a lot to prove. I mean, he may be sitting.
Speaker 5: There's like when he may want to get through when beyondah and make that guy you know, when when that guy starts turning it on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, that's all I got. So he got, we've got time, we got some way.
Speaker 2: Maybe take some calls you guys want to call if you agree with Jim or anybody with five two oh for one six seventy four forty.
Speaker 3: I was wondering what what Brendan said today.
Speaker 2: I didn't see much on Twitter, but he didn't fire anybody today. You said, maybe because it's because it's a bye week, right, I don't think there's a need for that, or really I really don't because it's three weeks last.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is then you reevaluate and see, uh, this is definitely undoubtedly the low point. Well yeah, yeah, I think guess what, guess what could get even worse? Yeah, exactly the low point continues to maybe get to get a watermark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don low point.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 5: So so here's here's one of the problems. Like, we're not gonna we're not gonna get much lower. I don't I think expectations are are about zero. Now, well, if you're gonna get continue to get hammered. I mean you're thinking of what we're gonna get it, continue to getting hammered. I don't know any you know there there there may be people that that are like that are I'm sure there are people that are. I'm positive about the future. So let me maybe clear. I am positive about the future. I think that next year we're gonna be better. I think we're gonna be more, We're gonna be solidified. I do think that we're gonna uh that Brennan's gonna have a better team than we do this here. I don't have any expectations. You you see my face as I look at you and listen to you. Yeah, And it kills me every every time I take a look at it. So where in the world you're picking this stuff from? Where you getting this from? I think this is the horse ras that you said you picked on Saturday, you'd think the past performances. Let me look, Oh he fired five months ago, he might be able to do that same thing. Now he's gonna have a different horse. He's gonna have a different horse. The horse is gonna be different different.
Speaker 3: What does that mean? You've You've sat.
Speaker 5: There in that chair every Monday that I've been here, and you said there's a disconnect with the place.
Speaker 3: Yes, very much, there's a disconnect.
Speaker 5: If I would tell you that, I think that next year there, he is going to be better connected with the players.
Speaker 3: He's gonna have another year. It's gonna be his team. Okay.
Speaker 5: I mean he's going to bring in his players from the from the beginning. I just think that that's gonna be better. And you buy into the coaches philosophy, you buy into the system that the team is better.
Speaker 3: Em world, could you call nine one one your dad? This is not your dad. Someone kidnapped him on your way here.
Speaker 5: Come on, man, it's already don't composed to be. It happens a lot. You're asking a ton. I'm with Jim.
Speaker 3: I'm a gym, but not that far kind of right now. And I don't care. I don't know dog in the race. But it's just I've seen I've seen stuff like this happen, and you just you can't correct because it's not correctable.
Speaker 5: I don't know, you know, what the hell do I know? I just want to do this and not that I don't know. Yeah, well, but talk about it all speculations. Yeah, you talking about all you want and be wrong. That's what I'm saying and not being wrong. It's like, come on, I'm sold. We're talking sports. We don't need facts, you know, doesn't move to politics exactly. Yeah, we'll see what happens. Anybody else want to call?
Speaker 2: We got about five minutes, five two oh four, one sixty. I hope to get through this the next hour. We're talking more football too. In fact, Lamont Love it will be on the show. He's the radio color analyst alongside Brian Jeffries. Uh is going to join us. I'm curious because he's not part of the team as a former player, but he's with the team. You know, he's with the team and how it affects them because you want to cover, you want to cover a team that's good.
Speaker 5: So he was on a couple of weeks ago and very positive, very up be very like, hell yeah, we're right there on the cusp. Yeah yeah, we're right there on the cosp. Cusp has left the building. Yeah yeah, that's what I'm saying. And I was with him, man, I was ted, truth, I was I was drinking a lot of kool aid at that point. Yeah. And you know, I think that injuries has descipated our defense. We kind of said, Okay, the defense is gonna hold us together until we get the offense rolling again. Defense, defense has left the building. There's a lot of want time. And then that's yeah, yeah, a lot a lot of want what in disregard That's why there's a lot of want it is.
Speaker 2: It's uh yeah, it's just it's just not good. Yeah, no, a good thing for many people to this basketball season. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: I think there's a lot of people are like going, hey, let's talk. It's you know they start talking in mid September. Yeah, well, people are excited about that. Yeah, and it's gonna be tough. It's gonna be tough basketball. It's gonna be tough because it's gonna be a tough league. It's gonna be a fun league for me to cover. Because uh, this is the schedule that that you you go to the games for because you get great games there are. Yeah, and if you have season tickets, I don't think you do, right, you don't, but you know it, it'll it'll be interesting, you know, because you know we've we've got a history of going up there and you know we'll well, for example, go to the Washington's and we'll we'll beat the team that is rated, you know, ranked eighth, and then we'll the team that's one in eighteen. You know, we lose to because we have a down game. There's no down games going to be in the big if there is, you'll shame on you for showing up. I mean, that's just I've seen that too many times, Mike, and you see it. You know, if you just don't need to, you don't think you need to get up, and you have to, you got you kind of Oh that was a that was a tough one. I'm glad we're passing that issue last year? Was it issue last year when that came in and moves that hit the thirty as you hit that, it was was a last year two years ago. Yeah, That's why I didn't feel like saying that Yeah, they had no business.
Speaker 3: Company and win it. Yeah and exactly, yeah they do that, explain every Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is gonna be a fun a fun time. And what I'll tell you what will be fun is to sit there and listen to the Arizona fans who were used to going, you know, we go through the Pac twelve and we're eighteen to two or whatever, you know, and it's like going, Oh, I can't believe we lost two games even and seven. What are you talking about? Yeah, it's like that's what I'm saying. We're gonna get crushed in the tournament. We're gonna be a four seed. Blah blah blah. Yeah, yeah, we're gonna go in. We'll probably go in the tournament four or five seed, i'd imagine. I mean, I know that the already's picking us as I think a three seed the uh, but we go in there as a four or five seed, and I think we're better prepared than.
Speaker 3: What we what we have.
Speaker 2: I really like this team because there's a lot of a lot of holes that were filled and good with with quality players and things that you needed. You know, you went shopping, he got exactly what he needed. To do with the job needs to get done. Talk about fit. Yeah, is Caleb better fit.
Speaker 3: With this team? That's tough. I will know until we know. I mean, we won't go there till we know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because he's gonna some days have great days and some days not even be a factor, which is good.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Is there somebody else that can be a factor or do we have we have a letdown completely? Carter Bryant, Carter Bryant, he's gonna be here's the problem. He's gonna do what Chase did. And when I talked to Jason back twenty years ago, he needs to be more assertive a take over a game.
Speaker 2: He has to because he's that quality player. But do they have it inside them that I don't want everything about it. I don't want to rough on you, father. We had people that would defer to defer to.
Speaker 5: Caleb, you know, and Caleb having an off night or something like that, and we just wouldn't have it. Yeah, the uh so, uh yeah, so we'll well, we'll say, we'll see how it goes.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna go come back with Lamont love it.
Speaker 1: Your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website cash that's cash enter in right now Walksports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 8: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wildside, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 8: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasca Yuki try.
Speaker 9: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instack cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 9: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood type and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about doratle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway. So I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best Arizona Hound, the.
Speaker 3: Leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of will Not School and the Falseports season are in full stride.
Speaker 12: Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follows. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season for over one thousand fun items of choose froom come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight Westrackman Street.
Speaker 13: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven, Air is gonna be nWo nine or two Equal housing opportunity.
Speaker 3: Got to commitment to.
Speaker 13: Lindric syn credit rates and avaiable loan programs or something to change with the UM notice.
Speaker 12: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 3: On a road trip or just around town.
Speaker 10: Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit score.
Speaker 3: You can borrow better with Pyramid.
Speaker 14: For details or.
Speaker 10: To apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 6: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth to the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers including UA All American Ricky Hunty, Hall of Fame coach, Mike Hendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference. Once again, that's at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 1: Steve Rava, He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station yet Fox Sports sporteam bide.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Eye on the ball here on Fox s watch Sport you fifty, I'm Steve, you'r Mike yet Henry with us.
Speaker 3: We're trying to get ahold of a lot. I couldn't find him, so.
Speaker 8: We're hoping he calls up.
Speaker 3: You're in a moment.
Speaker 15: I know.
Speaker 3: He busy guy. He said, he come up. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: I wanted to just get his biggest brain about what he sees, you know, within reason, because you know he's kind of still tied to the school or tied to the team and does one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess he'd you know, it'd be tough for him to sit there and say, hope is forlorn, you know, uh, forlorn, want for lorn?
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry. That's it.
Speaker 5: That's hold on, A big word for a journalism major from New Mexico State. Hold one's poor warning. Yeah you may want to look that one up. Sorry, professor here at you there you go. Guys, you know you're in trouble, right but actually financially financially, yeah, I know we're from trouble. Financially. I get that, get word of I get word of that every time I look at my paycheck. Yeah, yeah, speaking of which it's gonna be tough for them to raise money on this team.
Speaker 3: That's probably that's another thing, the biggest fallout of this, right, right, right, it's tough for you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, hey, I already put a few thousand dollars into this. What what I get from it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What did I get from this? Yeah? I mean it's a lot easier to raise money on a winning team. The month is this you? Yes, sir, there is great to have you on the show. The love it so tell me.
Speaker 2: I was telling everybody here before you came on, maybe last last hour or last segment, that I think this is tough for you. I would assume it is for you. You're a former U of a player. You love this program, you love this team. Uh, and and you're going and you're and you're and you're doing your job and then you're seeing stuff, you're seeing them not playing.
Speaker 3: Well. How has it been?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think you accurately describe it. It's it's been very tough. And yeah, I feel like I kind of live and die with the team, the success of the team, right, And it's been really difficult to watch you know, this guy's struggle because I mean I know that it's not for a lack of effort or a lack of you know, just giving everything you have, but you know it's not working out, you know, and for for multiple reasons. There's not just any one reason, right, for multiple reasons. The season is kind of you know, it's kind of you know, gone down to drain a little bit. So that's that's difficult. It's difficult for me to to to see. Yeah, it's really been difficult.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So you know, we always say that Brian is kind of he plays it as uh, straight and narrow. He's not a great uh cheerleader, which makes his job even tougher and and and very good at what he does, you know, of course, and most schools who are Brian are cheerleaders raw and he just plays post the best.
Speaker 3: You're the guy. You're the guy, and I'm not you know, blowing smoke. You're the guy that's a little bit more positive in this situation, right.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, no, absolutely. I mean, I I think I always I always start with a positive take and a positive spin. I don't call it a spin, but I think I probably look at it from a different perspective. But yet it gets increasingly difficult when you know, things really falling apart. And so yeah, I think, I don't know if you listen to our last broadcast, but that was a different that was a difficult broadcast. And and I think that we you know, we we under we really understand that, you know, the injuries are something that's a part of the game, and you know, no one can can really do anything about that, and you know, when guys are blowing their knees out things of that nature. It's just tough to see some of the things that I'm seeing, like you know, the penalties and seeing you know, some of the things, you know, as far as systemically when I'm looking at the offense and those things that are just been tough to watch because I feel like they, you know, in those areas, I think they may have missed the boat in some of those areas. So that was that was difficult for me to watch, just to be perfectly honest. And I know that they you know, these guys want to get fixed and natural they're going to spend all the time and resources doing but it's just you know, we're four games, we got three games left. Yes, it's not not a lot of fixing that you can really do at this stage, and you just have to try to keep it together at the themes and play it out. But yeah, it's been it's been hard man to watch well.
Speaker 5: The uh you know, they asked press one time asked John John McKay when he was with the Bucks, like to comment on the execution of his team, and he said he was all for it. And we had a guy today earlier that was talking about blowing it all up. Where where do we go from? What is the fix here? We we throw it all away and start over or.
Speaker 16: You know, that's a that's a tough one because I don't think that. I don't believe that there's just a bunch of bad coaches on this team. So I don't believe that at all. I think the matter. I think it's the opposite. I think there's some really quality coaches on the team. But I do think that, you know, the lack of experience on the offense and the offensive play calling that in that situation, I think that that's an area that you know, at this point, we just got to call it what it is, and it just hasn't been very good. It has been very effective, and so they're going to have to really re evaluate that and and they're going to have to get it fixed quickly, and they're going to have to you know, come up with a system where you know, the kids can be very confident in it, the fans, everyone else can feel confident about what they're seeing there, and if anybody says anything different, then they're just you know, they're blown smoke up their own rear. That that has to get fixed immediately. And I'm not saying anything that you know, anybody in the staff, for anybody else doesn't know. So that's that's the area where I'm just really Yeah, it's been hard to watch. It's really hard to watch, you know. I was giving it. I gave it a lot of you know, a lot of thought early on and watched it and early on it just thinking okay, you just need they're getting close to getting get close to getting close. But then you finally you get to a point to where it's like, okay, now I'm starting to just see a little bit of redundancy and and it doesn't look like they're getting close to anymore. So yeah, I'm concerned.
Speaker 3: About that, right, no question.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's my thing, and I don't I don't know this because I don't trouble with the team or watch as close as as you guys. Uh, just I'm with basketball. So my problem is that they're getting beat by a lot and it and it must be miserable. You're there, you're there, and you have to sit through the three and a half hours because it's it starts early and it continues and continues, and.
Speaker 3: You know, what are you going to say? But you know, do your job obviously, and it's like, you know, the first time is a mistake, and second times I have it. Third time, well we've got something. Fourth time, oh crap, what the hell?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and and a lot of.
Speaker 16: You know, we can we can always say it's execution, but it's you know, it's it's also putting your players in position to execute and giving them a system that they can execute and that they can you know, it doesn't you don't have to be one thousand percent perfect to run a play. I mean you should be able to find some holes in the defense and be able to attack those holes when they when they should, you know, when they present themselves. And those are the things that are just you know, it's that's what's been difficult for me. To watch because I'm seeing things that I'm like, I think we're missing it here and and i've you know, I've said it, you know, in the air, and I just that's that those are the things that got to be fixed. Man, there's I'm not going to go way into detailed club out want to be you know, beaten on on a dead horse and then trying to sort don't want to disparage you know, guys that this is their career. And and I promise you you will never hear me, I don't care how bad things get, You'll never hear me call for a coach's job. I just refuse to do that because if anybody was calling for my job, I don't think I would enjoy that. So that I'll let other people do that. That's not something that I'm going to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, I.
Speaker 3: Agree with that. I agree with that, Lamar. I mean, let the people who are in charge of making that decision make that decision. Well, you guys have been athletes, Aluma, You've been an athlete for a long time most of your life. I've said this in the recent few weeks.
Speaker 2: Now, just to me, it feels like there's a disconnect, right and maybe I said this last time you're on you're playing, and now you've played for a number of coaches.
Speaker 3: So this is my example.
Speaker 2: You're here, your coach leaves, you love it here, you stay here, and he's not your guy, and he's got a different approach than the previous guy. And you say, Okay, I'm gonna try. I'm gonna try. I'm gonna to buy in for this. And then you say, I don't know if I can buy in for this, and and and we're all humans. We have a bias, right, we have a bias. We have some kind of inside us that you're either all in or you're not, or you're kind of in, you're and and to me, there's something there.
Speaker 3: I couldn't put a finger on it, but to me, that's how it feels.
Speaker 16: Yeah, And I could, I could, I could, I could see that. And like I said, it's it's more than one thing. Yeah, I mean right, we we discussed, you know earlier that to me, it's almost kind of a perfect storm of bat that stuff hitting all at once, and it just the results is are what we see. What we're seeing. But I think that you know, losing the guys that they lost going into see them starting there. You know, you gotta get off of to tackle the starting for the Green Bay Packers right now, You've got to tide end plane in the NFL. You got Jacob Cowing playing in the NFL. Those guys are playing effectively too, So you take that out right away. Then you replace that tackle with a red shirt freshman that we have started. That rich re freshman blew his knee up games ago. So now you now you're really deep in a deep hole there. Then you you factor in the fact that there's a brand new system that they have to learn. This team has to learn new and they've you know, they've it's it's been a struggle for them to learn it. And so the new system, the loss of players, and then we're not even talking about the players that Jetfish.
Speaker 3: Took with them to Washington. This is a new team, no.
Speaker 16: Matter what anybody says, Yes they have tac, yes they have you know, some good players back, but it's still a new team and in this new team with a new staff. And so those are factors that I don't think you can just overlook and just push aside. Like you know, you have to give a coach a chance to to recruit to his system and then to do what he wants to do. Now, if that doesn't work, then you know, then then you know we go from there. But I do think that there are still things outside of those circumstances, like you know, the rash of injuries. But I think there's some things systemically that I would to see differently, particularly on off the side of the ball. That's that's just that's me. That's where I'm at right now.
Speaker 3: So, so you mentioned a couple of times the word system.
Speaker 5: The uh.
Speaker 3: Is Brendan a system coach?
Speaker 5: In light he he he's got to get players that fit his system or see the guy that's going to be able to adjust his system to the players. Because it seems to me that we were running a certain type of offense that may not fit exactly what we've got.
Speaker 16: That's fair, but that's fair. I don't want to say, I don't want to, yeah, hold him into that.
Speaker 3: I guess it's a bit of an question what's happening?
Speaker 16: Yeah, Yeah, I think that a lot of that is what is happening. I would a percent agree there. I think they really want to be like a power downhill running team, and it's just it's just not there. That's not there, and and I think that they've tried to really push that and force that issue because in into his defense, they did do that at Central the State and he did it pretty successful there. So I mean, naturally, you're going to go with what you know, what you know, and he just is not working. So you got to recalculate and you got to figure out, you know, what you're gotta do, and you gotta do it fast because you know, you only got so long, you know, to get it right. So that's what I'm I'm hopeful that I'm you know, I'm rude for him like nobody's business, because I think he's a tremendous person. I think I respect him as a coach too. I'm'm not in here to do the coach. When the guy's had success in his career, he can coach.
Speaker 3: But you know, yeah, that's that's everybody.
Speaker 15: We don't get it right all the time. We didn't get it.
Speaker 3: We did to bring in somebody that was not successful.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you know exactly. You got to get some things right, and they got to do it quickly. And it's probably going to have to be a lot of transfer portal hopefully they don't have too much turnover in the process. But you know that's part of the game too. You've got to figure it out. And and I can say what's happened this season is not making that easier. So that's that's kind of that's where it's at right now. Well, it's like it's it's it's you know, may day. Right now, they got to get fixed.
Speaker 2: Well, last question, the last question, and you brought this up at the beginning, how much you loved the kid from New Mexico, the running back, that he was a special kid. And obviously that that ended quickly for whatever reason, because we still haven't got an explanation that and then the rest of the injuries and everything. The perfect storm is exactly that's the title of the book. Uh, that's it's the perfect right and the thing is the one thing is over the weekend, I heard this from somebody that coaches are problem solvers. That's what they' that's what they do. Let's supposh to do. And so the perfect storm. Now you've got to find a way how to get out of this perfect storm.
Speaker 15: That's it.
Speaker 16: I mean Jed had this in his first year. He inherited a really bad situation. It took them, It took them three years to get out of it, and so you know how long The question is, how long will it take these guys to turn it around? And if you and the hard part about it is when you're navigating it, you got the fans.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they want to win now.
Speaker 16: Sure, they want to win now. And they have a say too because they buy tickets. Yeah, and depend on that, and you got boosters and depend on that. So it you know, it's got to happen quickly. And so this is a tough job man to navigate, right.
Speaker 2: You got to figured out la is always a van, yeah, Laman is always Thanks for joining us on Monday to revaluate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, appreciate that, Lamon. I love your insights.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 3: Good thank you, Ben, good luck to take the week off. Well, take a break and come back. If you're an.
Speaker 5: Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years now.
Speaker 3: Take a look back at the Ludelson era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot.
Speaker 5: It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 7: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space in your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 14: What's your goal? A new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial daid available. It's time to earn the degreer certificate. You need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency.
Speaker 2: These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Selling your home want to get more money for it? Well, Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, call Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson.
Speaker 17: Listen up El tourte two sent is rolling in on November twenty third, and you don't.
Speaker 3: Want to miss it.
Speaker 17: Dnahair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor Banner University Medicine and are presenting sponsors Rio Nuevo and CMC Health for making this possible. So are you ready to ride, Grab your bikes and your buddies join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the l tur Day two Son. For more info, check out Eltour Day two Son dot org.
Speaker 1: Streamy live on the iHeartRadio. While this is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Invall Fee on Fox Worth fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera, you're Mike Quinn.
Speaker 5: Good guess and Henry you're here too, Thanks Hennery. Tomorrow I'm gonna be on my own working on board.
Speaker 15: Good luck to me.
Speaker 3: I have no idea what I'm gonna be doing. Dave still gonna be tough.
Speaker 5: Dave silver with me tomorrow, so we know we're gonna both maybe David and do it.
Speaker 3: You should they should have him do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it'd be crazy if you guys want to call finish this off better than what the show has been.
Speaker 3: No, Actually, we had a good show, a good show.
Speaker 5: I'm excitative have people call in and let us know what they think about how this is going to be solved.
Speaker 2: Chase Buddinger called in the first hour we had him on the show. Good to talk to Chase and now lamont love it Radio Color guy. Uh, that does a tough job. Because you're you're part of the program. You gotta be honest.
Speaker 3: You got to be critical, not you don't have to be critical, but you have to be honest and kind of.
Speaker 5: You because you see what you see right, Yeah, how do you not come across the homer? But yet you cannot you can't trash them. Yeah, yeah, you want to come back in the plane, right. I think I think that the way we fix this is we start playing basketball. That's the way we fix you. Have people forget about it, have people forget about it. Yeah, yeah, we'll see tonight. Tonight should be ri except that the A League game eight o'clock game finish at ten, you know, by midnight.
Speaker 3: What else is going on this week? But we have another game I think this week too. We have two games this week. So yeah, we'll see. So that'll be nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, with no football at all? So yeah, exactly no football. Maybe we just turned it. We do turn to basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gotta call Hello, you're on the air and nine on the ball. Who is this?
Speaker 15: Hey, Steve?
Speaker 3: You guys doing is don don? What's the word? How much more?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Critical? Critical? Can you be where we're at?
Speaker 15: Well, where.
Speaker 5: I've gone two weeks without listening to coaches press conferences and you know what it's you know, people are people are gonna probably be asking him questions he doesn't want to answer at this point. Hopefully he has the answers as as as far as what he's going to do to correct what's going on. I don't want him fired. I like what what Lamont just said.
Speaker 15: You know, It's like if somebody was saying that I shouldn't have my job, I sure wouldn't like that, especially if I'm you know, I'm working hard and I'm trying to get it done.
Speaker 3: Do you think he can quote unquote fix things this year or is fixing?
Speaker 15: I think that I think this year is is what it is.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 15: I mean, for me, the Bowl game is going to be the Territorial Cup, and if he can fix things for that game, I think that that that will be good enough for the rest of this year. I mean that to me honestly because I'm hoping it works with with Brennan. I really am, because I'm tired of this three and four year rotation that we've been on since since Dick told me.
Speaker 2: So. Let me ask you, don Rachel's your fandom scale one ten? Where do you sit?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 15: I was born here. I am what a friend of mine from Tennessee used to say about volunteer fans. I am what you call non attending alumni. I've been to the university a lot of times, but I never attended any classes there. So I'm an Arizona guy when I go to when I go out of town, when I go to Phoenix, when I go to California, I'm whearing my I'm rock in the A and and that's what I do on my travel days in and out.
Speaker 3: When I'm going to be out.
Speaker 15: And about among people, I wear my Arizona stuff.
Speaker 2: So when they lose, when they lose, I'm talking football specific basketball, because it's a different pain.
Speaker 3: How do you feel? Are you beat for the day? You saying? What are you? It depends.
Speaker 15: I mean, I was at I was, I was at the at the West Virginia game. At the end, I said, well, but you know they showed fight. You know they showed some fight. It's I think what what Lament was saying about the offensive system. And they want to be ah, they want to be a power running team, but you don't have that. I don't know why you continue to call those plays unless you're gonna let the freshman, big big Red Caden Luke run the ball. He's the only one strong enough to run the ball the way they want to run it. Right, yea, and he and and he led the state in rushing last year, so I mean, why not give that kid a chance? But it's games like games like Saturday was so.
Speaker 3: Hard to watch. Did you did you watch it all?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 15: Not all of it? Heck no, I was right, Yes, I watched. I watched it in the first half and I was hoping they'd turn it around, and then they gave away that chip, that cheapy touchdown right at the end of the half, and then that was it. I was just like, well, whatever the final score is, we'll we'll find that out later. I certainly don't want I was, you know, when I look back at Brennan's records his last three years, three or four years at San Jose State, six and seven wins. That's eight or nine wins at Arizona, And to me, that's good enough, because every once in a while you're going to luck your way into a ten and three season. And I think I think one thing that we've all forgotten is that Jed Fish lucked his way into that ten and three season last year because if Jaden DeLaura doesn't get hurt, that's a seven in team. Yeah, and they were playing their bus off but Laura. But DeLaura would have lost us three games just by like he did against Mississippi State, running a quarterback sneak and not telling nobody, and his run and the way he would run around and throw the ball the way to feed us having to do this year, that was. That was Jaden de Laura. They said, look, de Laura completed more passes of that nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see. My opinion, yeah, we'll see if it gets better. I think more fans in my opinion, I think I think a lot of fans are like you. They're involved, but you know it's and they want to espressially frustrations, get it out. They talk to friends whatever, get on the internet yet, call in the shows.
Speaker 3: But they're not. You know, they're not gonna do You're not dying over this. You're not. You're not like, oh God, you've got to do something about it.
Speaker 15: I'm not dying over this. What makes me angry is all the talk on the internet. We need to get the high young offensive coordinator. Well that's just great, except for in three years he's gonna pull a jed fish and go to another job exact you know, And I'm tired. I'm tired, of that merry go round. I'm really tired. I would like to find a guy that wants to be in Tucsons that five million dollars a year is enough, that has the support of the school and the community, and to be able to pay a few key assistants to make up I want. I want Kyle Whittingham, That's what I want.
Speaker 3: I want a guy that had that can.
Speaker 15: Run a program that fits the school, that fits the school, that doesn't want to go anywhere that he's fine where he's at.
Speaker 3: Well, you have that guy. He's here, he's just not doing well. Well, he's not doing well.
Speaker 15: Because he's in his first year. Like I said last week, we don't know what we lost with the guys we lost. We don't know which one of those guys was a Kelvin Ephan that was a heartbeat of that team that all of a sudden, we don't we're you know, we're sailing through the season without a rudder, and it seems like it's you know, we don't know who was that guy, and we didn't know that that's what we were going to lose when we lost those guys.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, you got I think you said, I think you said this at the beginning, you looked into the year, Well, guess sometimes we're gonna get God, the gods, the football God said we're going to give you a year. This is your year, but remembered who you are. We're gonna go back to what you were because we're.
Speaker 15: Giving you this year exactly. And I think you know, and I think in a lot of ways last year, Jacob Cowing was number one. Jacob Cowing was a lot of times last year you needed, you needed a catch, and that was the guy that made it. He was the one that made that, got the touchdown play in the in the in the olimible that got Arizona back rolling again.
Speaker 3: He was the guy.
Speaker 15: Everybody wants to say t Mac because well he's the prototypical but the guy, the guy I think was was Jacob Cowing. Okay, you know t Mac has the bigger upside and nobody's going to deny that, But that season, the guy was Cowing. In my opinion, there's a lot of guys out there, Coleman and Coleman. If we if we'd have been able to keep Coleman, we'd be able to run the ball the way that the way they're calling the plays. I think because Coleman's bell cow for sure, and these other guys, you know, Kuali Connley, he should not have a helmet anywhere near him in the first quarter in my opinion now, because it's just it just looks like he's like like like he's quitting and then he's working his way back.
Speaker 3: The rest of the game.
Speaker 15: And I hate to say that about the kid, but you know what, in this day and age, I'll bets are off. Everybody's up for criticism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, I agree with you. I've seen your Facebook stuff, on your Internet stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you make.
Speaker 15: Marquis Flowers made a perfect tweet.
Speaker 3: He goes.
Speaker 15: The portal is funny, he goes, because all these guys are gonna be talking and thinking about the portal.
Speaker 3: But you got to remember, what's what?
Speaker 15: What are you putting on film?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 15: What are you guys putting on film? And you want to jump in the portal? Who's gonna want anybody?
Speaker 3: He's the great tweet, great tweet.
Speaker 15: Yeah that was awesome, man, And that's what I said. This is the smartest tweet I've read all season.
Speaker 3: Long, that one right there. Give me your resume. Oh what do you have on here. They are gonna cut it here. Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 15: Well, well in twenty twenty three, we're looking at twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, don thank you for your wisdom, taking that, Thank you taking that.
Speaker 3: There you go, that's what I want to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, we got about three three minutes maybe cool day, three minutes, two minute round Okay, we got you said, six minutes, right, okay, yeah, two minutes.
Speaker 3: No more calls. We're good here. Good build up to good shot. Start, start to build.
Speaker 5: Up to Duke to do a couple of weeks, right, yeah, we gotta, we gotta, we gotta kind of a nothing, a bit of a nothing, and then yeah, football is over. I mean really, yeah exactly, I mean football's over if they do beat the issue that, if they beat SU that's gonna be great.
Speaker 3: Nice thing to have to be happy about. That.
Speaker 2: To me, again, this has been the weirdest thing because you had all these expectations turned up to expectations. I can't remember a basketball season like this where there, you know, you had these expectations and they just blamed out.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's been a few, but because the regular season is always okay, yeah, yeah, but we've gone through the Pac twelve. I mean it's like, you know, there's a lot more mystery.
Speaker 2: I feel like with basketball, yeah, well yeah, and then they're going to get well the perfect start, serfect. Then one is the Big twelve. We didn't know a new coach, didn't know the players. Players, we didn't know, although we had the love affair from last year right with these.
Speaker 3: Guys, and we didn't know, but we but we really didn't know. And all this perfect storm turned into you know, hit the hit the one thing.
Speaker 5: You know, you sit there and you realize that it's it's not about last year's players, no, you know, I mean, it's it's about next year's players.
Speaker 3: I still think that.
Speaker 2: In my observation from somebody else said, you know, coaches are problem solvers.
Speaker 3: This hasn't been solved.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you can't solve the problem if everybody, if everybody is a great problem solver, then everyone would be undefeated.
Speaker 2: Well, you can fix some things and make them look again again, can't You can't fix fix injuries.
Speaker 3: You can't fix no, but you could play. You can play closer to you can play closer. They're not even play closer. Well, if you got really bad players. You're not can play Kenry. Did you watch a game? Yeah? Did they look like they were done in that first quarter? I think, yeah, that's when it started. Yeah, that's how he started. And then once they got some life, it was too late. Yeah. What what was the life? A part was the life? I think? I mean they had a couple of touchdown drives, which is more than that was a defibrillator coming in to save you for a dye. But once the once, the I don't you know. I think what we gotta do is we gotta start better. We gotta go. Thanks.