Speaker 1: Picture this. It's June twenty fourth, nineteen eighty two. You're strapped into a window seat on British Airways flight nine. Oh Man. Yeah right, So it's pitch black outside. You are eleven thousand meters above the Indian Ocean, and suddenly this strange, shimmering white light begins to just cling to the wings outside your window, like.
Speaker 2: A glowing web of electricity.
Speaker 1: Basically, it's wrapping around the metal.
Speaker 2: And you know that actually resembles Saint almost fire, which is a totally known electrical phenomenon in aviation, right, But the thing is, Saint Almo's fire usually only happens when a plane flies through highly charged.
Speaker 1: Thunderclouds, which they weren't in.
Speaker 2: Right on this specific night, the weather radar in the cockpit showing that the sky is perfectly clear, I mean, there isn't a cloud for miles.
Speaker 1: But the strangeness doesn't stop with the lights, so an acrid sulfuric smoke starts pouring through the cabin vents. You can see passengers sweating, rubbing their eyes, coughing into their sleeves, and then people look out the windows and see something straight out of a nightmare. Massive forty foot jets of flame are shooting out from the backs of the engines.
Speaker 2: Which is never what you want to see at eleven thousand meters.
Speaker 1: Never, the seven forty seven's huge rolls Royce engines suddenly make this grating, violent rumbling sound. It's described as sounding like a cement mixer churning a load of heavy rocks. Wow, and then just dead silence. In the span of a minute and a half, all four engines have completely failed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a four engine flame out on a seven forty seven. At the time, that was the scenario no crew.
Speaker 1: Had ever trained for, really, none at all.
Speaker 2: None, because it was considered a statistical impossibility. I mean, these aircraft were highly advanced machines, but they were absolutely not designed to operate as three hundred ton gliders.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome to today's deep dive. Today we are opening up three extraordinary real life aviation investigation.
Speaker 2: Files and these are some wild ones.
Speaker 1: They really are. We're going to explore the invisible forces that bring massive, you know, technologically anst commercial jets to the absolute brink of disaster. We're going to look at the physics of the environment, the mechanics of the aircraft, and I think, most importantly the psychology of the human beings sitting right there in that.
Speaker 2: Cockpit, because when the machines fail, the human mind is always the ultimate fail safe.
Speaker 1: Or tragically, the final failure point exactly.
Speaker 2: It is a really profound tension. We build these modern marvels of engineering and they're packed with redundant safety systems, but the volatile environment they operate in, combined with the complex, sometimes fragile psychology of the humans flying them, well, it introduces variables that no computer can ever fully control.
Speaker 1: So let's put ourselves right inside that terrifying cockpit on British Airways Flight nine. You've got Captain Eric Moody, First Officer Roger Greaves, and flight Engineer Barry Toalny Freeman.
Speaker 2: Right, and they're suddenly sitting in a silent falling metal tube.
Speaker 1: It's falling. To understand the physics of their situation, you kind of have to look at the glide ratio right. Without an thrust, a seven hundred and forty seven drops about one kilometer for every fifteen kilometers it moves.
Speaker 2: Forward, so they are basically falling toward the pitch black ocean YEP.
Speaker 1: And to make matters even worse, the cabin begins losing pressure. The air at eleven thousand meters is just way too.
Speaker 2: Thin to breathe, and that loss of cabin pressure really forces their hand. They have to initiate a rapid, incredibly steep descent just to get the aircraft down to an altitude where the passengers don't lose consciousness. So they are trading their most valuable resource, which is altitude, for breathable air.
Speaker 1: While they are plunging in the dark, the crew snaps into their highly trained emergency mode. They start running the standard three minute engine restart.
Speaker 2: Drill, which is standard procedure.
Speaker 1: But think about the terrifying math here. Falling at their current rate of descent, they only have enough time to run that full three minute drill maybe eight or nine times before they hit the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and recognizing that the flight engineer actually starts shortening the drill, Yeah, he modifies the procedure on the fly to cycle through it faster. They attempt to restart those engines up to fifty times fifty times fifty and nothing catches. There is just zero thrust.
Speaker 1: This is where Captain Moody makes what has to be I mean, one of the most famously calm announcements in all of aviation history.
Speaker 2: It's legendary.
Speaker 1: It gets on the PA system and in this perfectly measured tone, says U, ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped.
Speaker 2: A small problem, right.
Speaker 1: We are doing our damnedest to get it under control. I trust you are not in too much distress.
Speaker 2: I mean it is the absolute epitome of the stiff upper lip, truly, But inside the cockpit the reality is just devastating. A jagged mountain range blocks their path to the nearest airport in Jakarta, and they're dropping fast, exactly at their current rate of descent, they simply won't clear the peaks. The captain has to make the brutal decision to turn the plane around and actually prepare to ditch into the pitch black, open ocean.
Speaker 1: Which is insane. Ditching a heavy jet at night is a maneuver that is incredibly dangerous, even when you have engine power, you know to control your descent.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, Doing it in a glider is almost certainly fatal.
Speaker 1: But then just as they drop past four thousand meters, preparing for impact, a miracle happens. The number four engine suddenly roars back to life, thank goodness, then number three, then one in two, all four engines come back online.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: They have just enough power to climb back up, clear the mountains and divert to Jakarta. But the nightmare isn't even over, not at all. As they approach the runway, those strange shimmering lights return. One of the engines starts violently surging and has to be shut down again, and the pilots realize they can't even see out the window.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the windshield is completely opaque.
Speaker 1: Like someone painted over it exactly.
Speaker 2: The glass had been essentially sand blasted. And to compound the terror, the ground equipment and Jakarta that provides the instrument glide path, the electronic beam that tells them their angle of descent is completely broken.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: I know they have to land this crippled, mostly blind seven forty seven manually. They're peering out of a tiny two inch sliver of side window that hadn't been scratched.
Speaker 1: That is just wild, and.
Speaker 2: Miraculously they do it. They grease the landing.
Speaker 1: It's a legendary piece of flying. Yeah, but this brings us to the core mystery of this whole deep.
Speaker 2: Dive, right, the why how does a perfectly.
Speaker 1: Healthy seven forty seven lose all four engines simultaneously. I remember reading the source material and thinking about the weather radar.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: They checked it. It was completely clear. So how can a force powerful enough to destroy four jet engines be totally invisible?
Speaker 2: Well, the answer lies in understanding the physics of what aircraft weather radar actually does. H Okay, it is designed to bounce radio waves off of moisture. It looks for water droplets, rain, hail, or snow.
Speaker 1: But the culprit here wasn't water exactly.
Speaker 2: The culprit that brought down flight lane was completely bone dry. It was Mount Gollongung, a massive volcano in Indonesia, had erupted just hours earlier, sending an enormous dense cloud of pulverized rock and volcanic ash fifteen thousand meters.
Speaker 1: Into the night sky, straight into their path.
Speaker 2: Drifting directly into their flight path.
Speaker 1: So, because the ash is just dry, microscopic ground up rock, the radarways just pass right through it.
Speaker 2: Right, It doesn't reflect a signal back to the cockpit at all.
Speaker 1: It is a literal invisible.
Speaker 2: Trap precisely, and that invisible dry rock explains every single terrifying thing the passengers and crew.
Speaker 1: Experienced, like the glowing lights.
Speaker 2: Yes, when you force a massive aluminum airplane through a cloud of highly abrasive dust at five hundred miles per hour, the friction strips electrons off the airframe.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, it.
Speaker 2: Creates intense localized static electricity. Yeah, that was the glowing web of Saint Elmo's fire on the wings. The abrasive rock also sand blasted the paint right off the nose of the plane and scratched the windshield glass totally.
Speaker 1: Opig and the sulfur smell in the cabin. That makes it almost sense. Now, it wasn't an electrical fire on the plane. It was actual volcanic gas bleeding into the air vents exactly. But let's look at the engines. How does dry dust choke out four massive jet engines? I mean, they're built to handle extreme conditions.
Speaker 2: They are, But we have to look at the thermodynamics of a jet turbine. A jet engine sucks in massive amounts of air, compresses it mixes it with aviation fuel and ignites it. Right, The combustion chamber inside that engine operates at around two thousand degrees celsius. Okay, Volcanic ash being pulverized rock has a melting point of about thirteen hundred degrees.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. Wait, So as the engines are inhaling millions of cubic feet of this ash, the rock is literally melting inside the engine core.
Speaker 2: Yes, it melted into a sticky molten glasslight goo.
Speaker 1: That's horrifying.
Speaker 2: It is this goo coated the turbine blades and the inside of the combustion chamber, which just violently disrupted the delicate aerodynamics of.
Speaker 1: The airflow, and that caused the flames.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that disrupts and cause massive compressor stalls and backfires. Those forty foot flames the passenger saw shooting out the back. Eventually, the molten rock choked off the airflow, entirely starving the engines of oxygen and causing them to flame out.
Speaker 1: The wildest part of this whole sequence to me, isn't that the engines stopped. It's that they restarted at all.
Speaker 2: It's a crazy piece of physics.
Speaker 1: Because think about what happens when the engines die the fire goes out, the combustion chamber rapidly cools down, and as the plane is gliding you know, falling out of the sky, it eventually drops below the bottom layer of the ash cloud into clean air, exact so that molten goo cools down, hardens back into a brittle glass like shell, and the sheer force of the cold air rushing through those dead gliding engines just shatters the rock.
Speaker 2: It chips right off.
Speaker 1: It chips off and blows out the back.
Speaker 2: That is the incredible twist of chemistry and physics that saved their lives. The engine essentially had to die in order to heal itself.
Speaker 1: It is so wild.
Speaker 2: Since the brittle rock was cleared out by the rushing air, the crew's frantic restart drills finally caught a spark and the fuel ignited.
Speaker 1: Man. So Flight nine is this perfect example of a crew overcoming a total mechanical failure caused by an invisible external environment. But what happens when the outside environment is perfectly safe, but the invisible threat is actually inside the cockpit, specifically inside the pilot's own brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is where we cross into a highly treacherous intersection of human physiology and automated technology.
Speaker 1: Let's set the scene for February nineteenth, nineteen eighty five. A China Airline seven forty seven flight Zeozer six is cruising over the Pacific Ocean at forty one thousand feet middle of the night, pitch black again. It's a totally routine flight until the number four engine, the one on the far right wing, starts giving them weak thrust.
Speaker 2: Just weak thrust, not even a total failure, right, It's.
Speaker 1: Not a catastrophic failure at first, just a gradual loss of power. The crew tries to reignite the engine, but they're too high up. The air is too in for a relight. Yeah. But while they are hyper fixated on troubleshooting this one engine, the plane begins to bank to the right, It slows down, it stalls, and suddenly it just tumbles out of the sky.
Speaker 2: They enter an uncontrolled vertical dive from forty one thousand.
Speaker 1: Feet from a weak engine.
Speaker 2: Exactly to understand how a weak engine leads to a vertical dive, we have to look at the physics of asymmetric thrust.
Speaker 1: Okay, break that down for us.
Speaker 2: So when you lose power on the right side, the engines on the left are still pushing at full cruising power. Right right, that offset thrust vector causes the plane to yaw or twist to the right. The correct manual response is for the pilot to step heavily on the left rudder pedal to counteract that twisting force and keep the nose pointed straight.
Speaker 1: But the captain didn't step on the rudder. He left the autopilot engaged, assuming the computer would handle the imbalance.
Speaker 2: And that brings us to a phenomenon investigators called the automation illusion.
Speaker 1: Automation illusion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have to remember this is nineteen eighty five. The autopilot systems on those seven forty sevens were advanced, but they had a very specific limitation, which would the autopilot did not have a physical connection to the rudder pedals. It only controlled the ailerons the small flaps on the trailing edge of the wings wow wow, and the ailerons simply didn't have enough aerodynamic authority to stop a three hundred ton aircraft from rolling over when pushed by that asymmetric thrust.
Speaker 1: So the captain assumed the automation was flying the plane the way human.
Speaker 2: Would, and it absolutely wasn't.
Speaker 1: The plane is slowly rolling onto its back. You might wonder they have attitude indicators right the artificial horizon gauges glowing right in front of their faces.
Speaker 2: Right there on the dashboard.
Speaker 1: Why did they just look at the instruments, see the plane banking and correct it.
Speaker 2: This is where the human physiology comes in.
Speaker 1: I always think about this feeling like being in an office chair in a pitch black room.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like if someone spins your chair around for thirty seconds and then suddenly stops, Your body still feels like it's spinning, but in the opposite direction.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: If you try to stand up, you'll fall right over. Yeah, that is exactly what was happening to these pilots.
Speaker 2: That office chair analogy is the perfect way to understand spatial disorientation.
Speaker 1: Tell us about the biology of that.
Speaker 2: So the biology behind it involves your vestibular system, specifically the fluid inside the semicircular canals in your inner ear. Okay, when you are flying through thick clouds in the middle of the night, you have no external visual cues, no stars, no moon, no horizon.
Speaker 1: In darkness, just black.
Speaker 2: Your brain relies entirely on the fluid in those canals to tell you which way is up and whether you are turning.
Speaker 1: But the fluid lies to you profoundly.
Speaker 2: When an aircraft enters a slow, gradual bank like the China Airlines seven forty seven, did the fluid in your inner ear eventually catches up to the motion and settles. Oh man, your brain interprets that settled fluid is flying straight and level. When the plane suddenly drops into a steep dive, the changing g forces confused the vestibular system completely. Their bodies were screaming at them that they were flying relatively straight, maybe just a little turbulent.
Speaker 1: But their attitude indicators were showing them entering an extreme vertical role.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Because the crew was entirely fixated on the engine problem, they just lost their situational awareness. They stopped scanning their other.
Speaker 2: Instruments, which is a classic mistake.
Speaker 1: When the captain finally did look at the attitude indicator, this reading was so extreme, I mean, showing the plane essentially upside down and plummeting. He assumed the instrument itself had suffered a mechanical failure.
Speaker 2: He trusted his lying inner ear over the literal gyroscope in front of him.
Speaker 1: That is terrifying.
Speaker 2: And the investigation uncovered another compounding biological factor, which was severe fatigue.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: Correct. The National Transportation Safety Board looked closely at the crew's circadian rhythms. The captain had crossed eighteen time zones in six days eighteen Yeah, his body clock was essentially a at two zero am. He was in the deepest trough of his biological sleep cycle.
Speaker 1: Which ruins your focus exactly.
Speaker 2: That profound level of fatigue physically impairs your cognitive bandwidth. It narrows your focus, making you hyper fixate on one minor problem like a weak engine, while completely missing the catastrophic fact that your airplane is flipping upside down.
Speaker 1: The descriptions from the passengers during this dive are just, I mean, pure nightmare fuel.
Speaker 2: It had to be horrific.
Speaker 1: They are falling out of the sky at mock speed. The g forces are so intense, peaking at five times normal gravity, that passengers felt like they weighed over one thousand pounds.
Speaker 2: Five g's in a commercial airliner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people who weren't buckled in just popped up and were pinned to the ceiling. One passenger described looking at an older gentleman across the aisle and the g forces were so strong that his face was pulled back and contorted quote like he was lying on his side in a wax museum in a fire.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: The plane drops thirty thousand feet in just over a mint in the sheer speed, in aerodynamic stress, literally rip the landing gear doors off the bottom of the plane.
Speaker 2: The plane is basically disintegrating. But then at ninety five hundred feet they break through the bottom of the cloud deck.
Speaker 1: And that is the moment everything changes, because the second they pop out of the clouds, the captain sees the visual horizon line of the actual.
Speaker 2: Ocean, a true visual queue.
Speaker 1: Yes, his brain instantly recalibrates the visual data overrides the lying fluid in his inner ear. He realizes the instruments were right all along. Wrestles. The plane level pulls out of the dive with a severely damaged tail and links to San Francisco.
Speaker 2: It's amazing the wings didn't snap off.
Speaker 1: Truly with China Airlines, the captain's brain was lying to him, but the moment he saw the visual horizon, his instincts snap back and he saved the plane, right, But imagine being in a situation where the clouds never break. There's no horizon to save you. Yeah, the only thing that can prevent a crash is the pilot sitting right next to you. But the social dynamics in the cockpit actively prevent them from speaking up.
Speaker 2: And this brings us to a tragedy that forced the aviation industry to completely rethink the sociology of a cockpit right through a concept known as crew resource management or CRM.
Speaker 1: It's January third, two thousand and four, Charmelai Shake, Egypt. A flash Airline seven thirty seven is taking off at five zero am, again middle of the night. Once again it is a pitch black, moonless night. Yeah, but this time they are taking off directly over the Red Sea. So outside the window there isn't just a lack of stars, it is an absolute void of darkness. The water blends perfectly with the.
Speaker 2: Sky, no visual horizon at all.
Speaker 1: None. In the left seat, you have Captain Kudar Abdullah, a highly decorated military war hero with thousands of hours of flight time, very experienced, very In the right seat, first Officer Amer Alshaffi, who is decades younger. He's essentially young enough to be the captain's son.
Speaker 2: And historically commercial aviation drew really heavily from the military. Right the dynamic, it created cockpits with very steep authority gradients. The captain was viewed as an infallible commander, you know, and the co pilot was expected to be a silent subort in it. Just do what you're told.
Speaker 1: That dynamic is completely critical here. The flight plan for Flash Airlines calls for a climbing left turn to head toward Cairo, left turn right, But shortly after takeoff, instead of banking left, the plane begins a slow creeping right bank.
Speaker 2: Just like the China Airlines flight exactly.
Speaker 1: The captain, likely experiencing the exact same spatial disorientation we just talked about, is inadvertently steering the plane into a spiral. It rolls tighter and tighter, the nose drops, and the plane plunges into a.
Speaker 2: Dive and they don't pull out.
Speaker 1: No. It hits the Red Sea. It's seven hundred kilometers per hour. All one hundred and forty eight people on board, mostly vacationing families, are killed instantly. It's just awful there's a deeply heartbreaking detail from the recovery effort. Investigators found a passenger's postcard floating in the debris that simply read I think this card will arrive after me.
Speaker 2: That is devastating.
Speaker 1: This is a devastating loss of life, and it triggered a massive, highly complex international investigation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the French actually deployed a specialized robot submarine to locate the black boxes one thousand meters down on the ocean floor.
Speaker 1: Because they needed to know what happened to the plane exactly.
Speaker 2: Investigators ran countless simulations. They tested over fifty different mechanical failure theories. I mean they looked for jammed spoilers, runaway ailerons, autopilot malfunctions, you name it.
Speaker 1: But they found zero mechanical faults. The plane was perfectly healthy. The evidence pointed away from the machine and squarely toward the men flying it.
Speaker 2: Right. It was a lethal combination of vertigo, the spatial disorientation over that featureless dark ocean, and a catastrophic breakdown of communication in the cockpit.
Speaker 1: When I look at the cockpit transcripts, it reminds me of driving on a pitch black highway with your headlights off. Yeah, you are the driver and you are slowly drifting toward the edge of a cliff. You can't see it, but the passenger sitting next to you can clearly see the cliff.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see where you're going with this.
Speaker 1: The problem is that passenger is so intimidated by you that they are too afraid to reach over and grab the steering wheel to save both your lives.
Speaker 2: Wow. That is a chillingly accurate analogy for the psychological environment inside Flash Airlines six o four.
Speaker 1: It's tragic.
Speaker 2: If we look at the cockpit voice recorder, it reveals a deeply fractured dynamic. Before they even took off, the first officer was having trouble seeing out the window because of the glare from the apron lights. Just a normal observation, right, He mentioned it, and the captain barked him insight, We're in sight.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a minor reprimand just a grumpy boss sure on the surface, but in the confined, high stakes environment of a cockpit, it reinforces a rigid, inflexible hierarchy. It tells the young, inexperienced co pilot, I am the master, you are the student. Do not question my authority, and.
Speaker 2: That seemingly minor social interaction became fatal just minutes later. How so well as the captain inadvertently banked the plane to the right instead of the left. The first officer actually saw it happening on his instruments.
Speaker 1: She knew they were banking wrong.
Speaker 2: He had the situational awareness the captain lacked. He saw the disaster unfolding, but instead of grabbing the controls or firmly commanding the captain to correct the bank, he just timidly states aircraft is turning right.
Speaker 1: He offers a mild observation, not a correction, and the captain, thoroughly disoriented by his inner ear, doesn't process it. Add to that, there was a third, highly experienced pilot sitting in the jump seat right behind them, observing the whole thing.
Speaker 2: That's the part that really gets me.
Speaker 1: He watched this entire death spiral happen and said absolutely nothing until the final second before impact, when he finally yelled to pull back the power, but it was far too late.
Speaker 2: It is maddening to analyze you have three highly trained professionals and a perfectly good airplane flies at full speed into the ocean because the junior pilot would literally raither die in a crash, then challenge the authority of the hero.
Speaker 1: Captain, which is why culture is so important.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that psychological barrier is the core of why modern aviation places so much emphasis on crew resource management. You have to actively train crews to dismantle that military style hierarchy.
Speaker 1: You have to empower them.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have to empower the lowest ranking person in the room to speak up clearly, forcefully, and to take physical control of the aircraft if they see an error flash. Airlines fail to foster that culture. They relied on an outdated model where the captain is infallible and.
Speaker 1: In aviation, no human being is infallible none. So what does this all mean for us? We've gone on quite a journey today seeing how commercial aviation often learns its most vital life saving lessons the hard.
Speaker 2: Way, the very hard way.
Speaker 1: British Airways Flight nine taught the world that the sky can hide completely invisible dangers like dry volcanic ash that melts inside engines and basically laughs at weather radar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, physics is unforgiving.
Speaker 1: Kine Airlines zero zero six showed us the treacherous intersection of automation, profound physical fatigue and spatial disorientation, proving how a tired brain can just refuse to believe the very instruments designed to save it, and.
Speaker 2: Consider what that means for a reliance on technology in general. Flash Airlines six oh four prove that the best technology, the most airworthy plane, is completely useless if a rigid social hierarchy prevents a team from communicating effectively. So true, the ultimate failsafe is in a computer code. It's an empowered human being willing to speak the truth when it matters most.
Speaker 1: Which brings us to the end of today's deep dive. But before we go, we want to leave you with a thought to ponder off mic because these investigation files they aren't just about the mechanics of airplanes, are they not at all? They are fundamentally about human nature.
Speaker 2: They absolutely are. They are mirrors reflecting how we process information, how we trust our environments, and how we interact with one another under pressure.
Speaker 1: Think about your own life, your own workplace. How often do you put yourself on autopilot, assuming the systems or the leaders around you will just handle the imbalances until you completely lose sight of the bigger picture and find yourself upside down. A great question, and perhaps more importantly, if you are the junior person in the room and you clearly saw a disaster coming, would the culture of your organization allow you to speak up, challenge the hero in the room, and grab the controls.
Speaker 2: That's the real test
Speaker 1: Something to think about until next time.