Speaker 1: The views expressed in the following program are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Saga nine sixty AM or its management.
Speaker 2: It's Wednesday afternoon and you know what that means. A Ringside Heat is on the Era of news Talk Saga nine sixty AM. Ladies and gentlemen. My name is Lextan, hosted producer of the show, and you can follow me at Lextan Media. You can follow the show at Ringside Underscore Heat. It is a solo episode here today. It's just gonna meet me flapping my gums, as Stone Colt Steve Austin would say it for the next forty five to fifty minutes on the air here on Sago nine sixty AM. So oh for gonna be a lot of fun for me. I'm hoping it's gonna be a lot of fun for you, because hey, you know what does that? That's what they tell us in radio school. If it's fun for me, hopefully someone will find it fun as well. And you can also follow us on social media at Ringside Underscore Heat, on Instagram, x, Facebook, TikTok, threads, and on YouTube. If I do start putting these episodes up on YouTube as well. Maybe one day, maybe this one I'll start or I'll start doing it. But you know what, also something that would be happening for YouTube as well. I'm actually thinking about going live on stream on the live stream on for Saturday Night's main event, because that's coming up this coming Saturday, July the eighteenth, and it's gonna be here in Canada. It's gonna be broadcast live on YouTube. So we get to watch that along together, at least hopefully we get to watch it along together. And and I want to. I want to do that because, you know, I find some pretty cool connections and some pretty cool callbacks to twenty ninth when the Toronto Raptors won the NBA Championship and the first big WWE event since the NBA Championship of the Toronto Raptors in twenty nineteen was SummerSlam, and well the SummerSlam weekend, you had NXT, a lot of the superstars from NXT and from the brand and from both brands UH in WWE coming out to the ring in Raptors themed merch they've made. They they created a lot of good will for UH within Toronto and Toronto's a wrestling town. Let's not let's let's not, let's not mince words over here. Toronto is one of the best wrestling towns in the world. And and uh, you know, I would say the only other places I would love to go and watch wrestling outside of Toronto would probably be New York City. It could be Los Angeles. It could even be in France, because my goodness, gracious, France is amazing. Puerto Rico, I would love to go and watch wrestling in Puerto Rico. And if there's anything as well too that shows that you know, wrestling and ww wrestling and well tripla A really is just just gonna be a great environmental watch wrestling. It's got to be Mexico City, because that El Grande Americano match, I'm still not over it yet. I'm still not over all Grande Americano and uh an og of Grande Americano and the lead up the match and everything. We'll talk a little bit about that, the aftermath of that and later on in the show. But I want to do this episode over here, and I'm gonna start this episode with the lead up to Summer Slam and also a little bit of a lead up to Saturday Night's main event. But we're gonna start off by naming the episode here today. It's contracts, characters and chaos. That's exactly what we are gonna be talking about here today. And we're gonna start it off here with one of the rate, sacredly stupid traditions in professional wrestling, the championship match contract signing. So championship contract signings are supposed to be simple to your competitors, sit down, the authority figure stands nearby, pretending this will remain civilized. And sometimes it is the general manager of the brand that you are representing, or it's the actual promoter of the company. I mean, hey, I think Vince McMahon, if my memory serves me correctly, Vice McMahon was the guy that looked over the contract signing for the CMPUNK John Cena Money in the Bay Championship match from twenty eleven July twenty eleven, and I just can't believe that was what sixteen years ago. How in the world was one of the greatest matches that Money in the Bank ever created? Then the pipe bomb, for that matter, the pipe bomb was sixteen years ago. The pipe bomb can officially apply for a g one driver's license, goodness, gracious, anyway to competitors sit down. The authority figure stands stands nearby, pretending this will remain civilized. Both wrestlers signed the document. Everybody goes home peacefully, except that never happens, especially everybody going home peacefully. It never happens that way, because in wrestling, a contract signing is not illegal proceeding. It is a controlled explosion with furniture. So let's talk about some of the tropes that we've seen over the years with WWE, with aw with TNA, wrestling with wherever wrestling company that ever employs the trope of the championship match contract signing. Number one, someone may flip a table. Number two, someone refuses to sign it at first, and then number three someone signs dramatically and then attacks the other. Number four, the champion raises the title. Number five the champion the challenger rather points at title like it owes them money. Number six. I think we're at number six. Yeah, six, security is present, but somehow useless. The authority figure says no physicality, which obviously guarantees physicality. Number seven, eight one, Yeah, I think we're at eight right now. Somebody gets put through something. Hey, as Chico would probably smack me down for I never was really really good at math, and I know that goes against all the stereotypes of Asian dudes being good at math. I am not one of those stereotypes anyway. The segment ends with one wrestler standing tall, usually while commentary screams that we are out of time, thank you for tuning in, and we'll see you at the next show. And wrestling, the contract signing is basically Chekhov's table. If there's a table of the ring and act one, somebody is going through it by Act three usually, but even with all the cliches, the contract signings still were when the history is real because paper is not the point. The signature is not the point. The point is the wound. The contract just gives the wound a date, a location, and a pay per view logo or pl logo. In WWE, SummerSlam has two championship matches that have been building for years, and that is what makes this year SummerSlam build so interesting. We're not just watching two tunnel matches get announced. We're watching two long delayed confrontations finally arrived. So let's start off with SmackDown. What we saw smack down was Friday the WWE Undisputed Championship between Cody Rhads and Cmpunk. And of course there's also which we'll get into a little bit later when we tackle when we tackle Saturday Nights of an event, the complications of Gunter wanting Nick Alldas to make the correction and for Sammy's ain who who apparently has been looked over for his legal his I guess you could say his legally ensured rematch for the w W into speed A Championship.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And we've also got seth Rollins versus Roman reigns to the two original Shield members still in WWE, because John Moxley Slash said, I can't even remember his I can't even remember his name in WWE because he's John Moxley Jonathan. John Moxley is in ae W and has been one of the great champions of that company and has really been one of those mainstays of the company. So all three Shield members, great careers for all of them, thanks to because thanks to WWE giving them that Shield gimmick and that Shield persona and look at them now anyway, both matches feel like stories ww could have told before, wanted to tell before, or circled around for years. But now they're happening with more age, with more scars, and more mythology attached. These are not fresh fruits feuds. Rather, in the shallow sense, these are delayed collisions. They feel like matches that have been sitting somewhere in the back of wrestling's mind waiting for the right version of each man to finally show up. So let's start with Cody Roads and see them Punk first. The promo was good. Not gonna take away anything from the promo. Promos good. You have Cody Roads, you have CM Punk, two great men on the microphone and tut men who know how to improvise all the spot. And that's something that you know, that you know is something that's great about the generation of wrestlers that have come from the Attitude era all the way to this present day. They have their bullet points, they have their motivations, they have their character. All they need to do just get out there, turn their volume up to eleven, as the Rock would say, and just go. That's all they need to do. And so Cody Rhodes and c M Punk. Great promo, good promo, both men were sharp. Both men understood their assignments. The most interesting part was not what they said, it was what their words suggested. And you know, one of the things that was said that they've been putting it off for a long time in WWE. This is the first major, this is a major, first time championship collision between to the company's most important modern names. Even at the tail end, even in the twilight of Cmpunk's career, he's nearly fifty years old, if he hasn't reached fifty already, but he is still one of the top performers, not just in sales, but also in the ring and also on the microphone. And then we've also got Cody Rhodes. He's basically he's basically this generation's crossover star that John Cena was for the previous generation and for I guess for those of a certain vintage. It's weird to say that right now because John Cena has always in the guy for the kids, and he still is, but of a certain vintage. Now, the thing is kids still love him. It's great, it's great, good job ww I mean, there is wisdom. There is a wisdom for having your Hulk Hogan and you see that with John Cena, and you see that with Cody Rhodes. But for deeper wrestling fans, this can match up also echoes a match that never happened in AEW, and I would argue that I think that others like me would have liked to see that in AW had the timelines meshed. Cody and Punk's AW timelines did not really overlap in the ring the way the fans would have needed for a proper rivalry, but the idea is fascinating. Cody Rhodes the EVP, the builder, the company man, the polished legacy figure, CM Punk, the returning rebel, the disruptor, the man whose very presence alters the gravity of the locker room, not just not just not just in front of the camera in k fabe. But boy, we see how he also altered the gravity of the locker room in AEW as well too. Shoot Wise shoot and that's more of an explortive shoot rather than the wrestling term. But Cody and Punk and AW would have been fascinating because it would not just have been in wrestler versus wrestler. It would have been philosophy versus philosophy, the builder versus the bomb thrower, the prince of the revolution versus the man who walked in and made the revolution nervous. Now, let's compare that to the Bloodline that was happening at the same time that they were, you know, in and out of the company ish by twenty twenty two. But the Bloodline story is firing on all cylinders in WWE. Cody and Punk. Yes, had they had they crossed rather paths properly in AW could have given a story a real uh. They could have given the Bloodline story rather a real run in terms of intrigue, star power, and fan discourse. It may not have been necessarily bigger, but it would have been loud. It would have been very loud, and it would have I'd say it would have. I'd say it would have. Personally speaking, I would say that those two could have rivaled the Bloodline. May not have taken it over, but it arrivaled it. But my main point over here Cmpunk and Cody road a SummerSlam feels like WWE finally catching in on a conversation that wrestling fans have been having in their heads for years at least me at least me as a wrestling fan. And this is the match that feels like it was less like it was booked and more like it escaped from a wrestling forum that finally learned how to manifest itself. Ring said he had a news stalk song nine sixty am. This is episode two twenty two, Contracts, characters and chaos and what I'm going to continue on over here with a pivot. I would say that Roman Reigns and seth Rawlins just hit differently because as much as Cody Rhodes and Seampunk gave us a strong promo, the segment that stayed with me, the one that had teeth, blood, memory, and a chair shot echoing through history, was Roman Reigns, acknowledge Him and seth Rawlins. Michael Cole had a line, he said something, and he was right. It really does hit different. When Roman Reigns holds the gold, Roman with a championship does not just feel like a champion. He feels like a boss again. Maybe you could actually say that he's the real final boss. Sorry, Rock, I love your Rock, but I'm still not over. I'm still not over you ducking yourself out when you could have really made the Johnson the Heel turn even bigger than it could have been. But and you know, we all have already discussed how the storylines and everything have all just gotten screwed up there because now because Rock was heal and then all of a sudden he broke the k fabe and whatever. We've said this many many times, and I'm sure you have the same grapes as well too with the Rock if you're thinking about good storytelling, like the Bloodline storytelling. But anyway, as they said, Roman with a championship does not feel like it does not just feel like a champion. He feels like a boss and maybe the real final boss. He feels like gravity has changed when he's there. He feels like every other wrestler suddenly has to explain why they deserve to breathe the same air as your tribal chief. You're otc your original tribal chief. Roman reigns holding the gold is not just presentation, It is atmosphere. The entire show starts orbiting him. And as I said before, as we've all complained about as many many have complained about, Death Rebel not the greatest WWE theme music writers, but when they hit something, it really hits. And Roman Reins' original Bloodline theme written by death rebel by death, not death rebel death, rebel that hits differently, that hits, or that that just hit that hits differently as well. So this is a match Roman versus Rolins put off since the Bloodline rules war now the match can be traced all the way back obviously to the Shield days when when Seth Rawlins broke up basically broke the Shield up by or kicking or kicking Roman reigns out of the Shield with that chair shot, but it also can be traced back to Cody Rose versus Roman Reigns under the Bloodline rules for the undisputed WWE World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania forty, which I was so blessed and I'm still not over it. I'm still not over it. I was so blessed to attend, and I love Oh my gosh, I love WrestleMania. Who anyway, Seth Rowlins stood with Cody suck Rawlins entered Roman's battlefield wearing the memory of the Shield like a weapon, and Roman responded with a chair shot that mirrored the original betrayal the night that Seth Rowlins destroyed the Shield. Roman did just not hit Seth Roman hit the ghost of twenty fourteen. He hit the betrayal. He hit the wound that made Roman Reigns what he became. When Roman put that chair into sets back, he was not just helping himself against Cody Rhodes. He was answering a question ten years old. He was saying, I remember, and that I remember is the reason why Cody Rhoades got the upper hand on the tribal chief. Now, the promo it self, nobody, absolutely nobody pulled punches here. Seth shot at Roman. I'll see you next time you decide to show up for work. He goes, and it's too easy. He goes down, head on his shoulders, head up high. It's too easy. It's the classic criticism of modern Roman Reigns, the part time schedule, special attraction status champion as final boss, not the weekly workhorse. It's the same trope that's worked. It worked with John Cena, it worked with the Rock, it worked with Hulk Cogen. I guess hal Cogan, or it worked with brock Lessner. Sorry I'm conflating brock Lesson and hault Cogan over here, but brock Lesner in the twenty tens again, all of those things. Rollins attacked the gap between Romans aura and Roman's availability, but Roman fires back by Colin by Colin, Seth freaking Rowlands injury prone. If you beat me, are you gonna hold it for a couple of months and get injured again? That's what happens every single time, quoting Roman reigns. Then Roman sharpens the blade. Some people just can't handle the burden of being the top guy around here. And of course the crowd, Oh, that line is cruel. It attacks Seth's identity. Seth has always wanted to be seen as the guy, not just a guy, not just the workhorse, not just the great match machine. The guy. Roman is saying, you cannot carry what I carried. And as I mentioned earlier, John Cena, Roman, it's been ten years and I can't believe it's been ten years since Roman got humiliated live on TV by John Cena and eventually became dangerous. John Cena undressed, Roman reigns on the microphone in front of the entire world. Sena calls him out forgetting his lines. He told Roman that he was he was not the guy, just a guy. I didn't seen it delivered the dagger I could do this part time better than you could ever do this full time. That was one of the best things that ever happened to Roman. Reigns not immediately. Roman did not suddenly just become the tribal chief overnight. It took years. It took failure, it took rejection, It took the audience refusing the version of Roman that they were being handed. But eventually Roman found the bloodline story, and once he found that, he stopped trying to be the guy that WWE told us he was. He became the guy we feared he may be. Sena embarrassed Roman on the world stage, and in hindsight, that embarrassment became fertilizer. It took three years, but something dangerous grew from it. Ringsideed a new Stok Saga nine sixty AM, Episode two twenty two, Contracts, Characters and Chaos. This is Lex Tan and we are going to take a short break here on the radio. When we come back, I'm going to talk about a little bit more about Roman raids of Seth Browns, why all of this connects to Seth, and why this is one of the most scathing promos that Roman has ever ever cut on WWETV. Back after these promotional considerations. Wait, this is the riddle and you're listening to Springside.
Speaker 1: He pastream Us Live at Saga nine sixty am.
Speaker 2: Dot Ca Yo Bro.
Speaker 4: It is Vince Russo Man and you are listening to Ringside Heat bro A News Talk Saga nine sixty am.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Ringside heat A News Talk Saga nine sixty am. Lextand at Lextan Media, Ringside Heat at Ringside Underscore He Episode two twenty two, Contracts, Characters and Chaos. It is a solo episode. It's just me. As I said earlier, Flapama gums a stone cold. Steve Austin would say about this week the things that spoke to me this week in professional wrestling, and let's go back into Seth Rawlins Seth Freaking Rawlins versus Roman Reigns. As I mentioned sena embarrassed Roman on the world stage and in hindsight, that embarrassment became the fertilizer that took three years to germinate, but something dangerous grew from it. The Blood Lives story, the OTC, the tribal chief Roman reigns and why this connects to Seth. Roman is now doing to Seth what Sina wants done to him. He's questioning whether Seth can truly be the top guy. Now, Seth didn't forget his lines or anything like that like Roman did, Oh boy, oh boy, when Kurt if you remember Kurt Angle's face when Roman did that to him, or when Roman just got cooked by John Cena who Anyway, Roman is questioning, just like Johnsena questioned him, whether Seth can truly be the top guy. He is forcing Seth rawmins to answer the question Roman once had to answer, are you really him? And so this leads into roman scathing promo. Roman calls Seth number two. It's not just and no one I heard. I want to hear number two. Hey, everybody, I'm number one. That was doctor Evil. And there comes number two from the Austin Powers franchise. Hello, I'm number two. Pleased to meet you number two. Anyway, Roman tells Rowlinds that he is the number two. Why because Seth needed money in the bank, because Seth faked an injury to cash in money in the bank, because Seth has triple h his work daddy running the show. Because according to Roman, wwe gave set all of Roman stuff and Seth still couldn't live up to Roman. Hell Triple H even gave him the pedigree. We saw Seth Rawlins give Roman Reigns the pedigree at the end of the segment. Unfortunately the table didn't break, but noell, I mean the table wasn't used. Unfortunately, but either way Roman gave Wwe gave set all of Roman stuff. It's set according to Roman, still couldn't live up to Roman. It's brutal because Roman is not just mocking Seth's career, He's be framing it as imitation. He's saying, you have the machine, you got the opportunities, you have the presentation, you have the support woo, you have the title, and you were still not me. This was not Roman throwing shade. This was Roman Reigns pulling the curtain down and saying, look at the architecture. This whole house was built to make you look like me, and you still came up short. Now for Seth Rowlins response, I was very very surprised. It was surprisingly babyface. It was surprisingly strong too. Rowlins comes back into the ring after nearly after exiting, nearly exiting the arena via the ramp. He dares Roman to say what he needs to say. Roman says it. Seth does not crumble. Seth's babyface turned in the promo. Seth responds, not that by trying to out evil Roman by by planting his feet. He's proud of who he is. He's proud of what he fights for. He is a visionary, he is a revolutionary, and he is glad that he is not Roman. And that surprised me because Rolins could have gone snake for snake with Roman. There is no question about that. We know that he can. He went human this time, and that seems to be a little bit more of an intriguing choice, even though Roman did win that promo. In my mind, going a human Rollin's going a human may be a better choice. Roman's greatest weapon is superiority, because you know, he asks us to acknowledge him or not he asks us he demands that we acknowledge him. But hey, he demands, but we freely choose to acknowledge him. Ha. Anyway, Seth's counter is not to pretend that he's above Roman. It's to say I know who I am, I know what I carry, and I would rather be mean than become you. This was the first time in the segment that Rosette did not sound like a man trying to beat Roman at Roman's game. He sounded like a man refusing to worship Roman's altar. And of course, the mandatory contract signing violence as usual. The contract signing eventually became physical back and forth tension boils over Rowins gets the upper hand. It did not feel like violence for the sake of checking a trope box. It felt earned because the words had already been punches, and by the time they came to blows, the fight had already started. The physical altercation was almost secondary, but Roman and Seth had already hit each other in the soul. The fists were just punctuation. So SummerSlam has two big stories. The Shield, however, started with fire. So far, summerslams has two compelling championship stories, Cody versus c and Punk. It feels like a long delay dream match with ghosts of a EWWWE and modern wrestling discourse behind it. Roman versus Seth Rawlins feels like a blood feud disguised as a title match. But in my mind, the Shield story hit harder. This week. Cody and Punk gave us intrigue. Roman and Seth gave us history with a knife in its hand. And if this was just the beginning, then SummerSlam is not being built gently if it is being signed in ink, sealed in violence, and haunted by the sound of a steel chair from ten years ago. Two championship matches, four world class performers, and possibly more years of history. But this week I say the Shield Boys lit the match for Summer Slam. We'll be back after these promotional considerations. But when we return, I want to talk about character development in wrestling, and we can see that with y Alfa Academy as well as teeing up Saturday Night's main event this coming Saturday, July the eighteenth. This is Ringside Heat again, back after these promotional considerations.
Speaker 3: Hello everyone, this is former Pro Wrestling Slash Sports Entertainment referee Jimmy Corderos, and you're listening to the new voice of Pro wrestling Slash Sports Entertainment in the GTA, Ringside Heat right here on News Talk SAGA nine sixty.
Speaker 1: Am, No Radio, No Problem. Stream is live on SAGA nine sixty am dot CAA. Hey guys, I'm Sean Spears and you're listening to Ringside Heat.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Ringside Heat on New Stocks Saga nine sixty am ten at Lextan Media, Ringside Heat at Ringside, Underscore Heat at Instagram x, Facebook, TikTok threads. Kind of forgot where where we put up stuff either way, and this is episode two twenty two. Contracts, characters and chaos. We still have quite a bit of show to talk about over here. That's a little bit of airtime that we have since I did cut that last segment short. But we're gonna have you know, a tee up for Saturday. It's an event later on the segment, but I want to talk about character development, why and why that matters. It is a solo episode over here, so it's just me again. Slap of my gums. Now, let's go back to Friday Night SmackDown Strong Show. But this week I want to stay with Monday Night Raw for a moment because Raw gave us two very different example character development, one bit and one beautiful. Wrestling fans talk a lot about pushes, belts, match ratings, and booking. I'm looking at you match ratings people, but the thing that really makes people invest and makes me invest personally is character movement, not just who wins, but who changed, who betrayed someone, who finally said what they meant, who revealed what they wanted all along, who got exposed, and who became undeniable. A wrestling match can make you clap, a character arc makes you remember why you cared in the first place. And we're gonna frame all of this with the Alpha Academy fallout, a family that finally broke Number one after the El Grandie Americano match between og Elgrande Americano unmasked to be Chad Gable and Elveni Aricano as like as a Chico, and I would like to call him El Venti Americano. Obviously we know break the kfee it is loudvig Kaiser, but hey, kudos to the livid Kaiser again for be able to learn Spanish and become fluent in Spanish that he could cut promos and get into the hearts and the minds of the Mexican wrestling fans. And hey, I loved it. I loved it, and I cheer along with the Mexican wrestling fans over there. I wanted to see El Venti Americano be the Elgrandi Americano and uh and and uh, but you know, we will talk about how Chad Gable created such goodwill, did his did his duty so amazingly well that he as Chad Gable, has now become a universally cheered wrestler in w w A. But not to one woman, Maxine Dupree. A few weeks ago, Chad Gable was denied forgiveness when he wanted to get back and be with the Alpha Academy again. Chad came looking for forgiveness, Maxine dupre denied him, even though Otis and Tazawa wanted to welcome him back. Maxine told him that he was not welcomed back and told Otis and Tazawa as well. And at the time this looks like Maxine drawing a boundary, and that made sense. Forgiveness does not always mean immediate restoration. Someone can forgive you and still say you cannot come back in the same role. You do not get the same access. Trust has to be rebuilt. Repentance is not a magic key that unlocks every door that you damaged. Forgiveness is not pretending the wound never happened. Sometimes forgiveness says I release you from revenge, but I do not hand you the keys again. And now this past week on Monday Night Raw, Maxine turns heel. Is it boundary or bitterness now Maxine? Or at least two weeks ago, two raws ago, Maxine helps the Vision win the tag titles. This is a pivot to the twist. Maxine helps the Vision win the tag team titles. She does it via a low blow to Angela Dawkins, and suddenly her I'm done with Chad stance becomes a little bit more complicated. Was she protecting herself? Was she out growing the Alpha Academy? Or was she simply looking for a new power structure. First Maxine looked like a woman setting boundaries. Now she looks like a woman choosing ambition with brass knuckles and doing it via a power couple romance with one Austin Theory. And I mentioned before that I like this pairing. I like this. When a romantic storyline goes heal, it can go very well, it can go badly. But one way it has gone so well is with Dirty Dom and Rio Ripley. Look what happened with her? She is now from Australia. She's from Australia and she is known worldwide as Mommy. And now we've also got that same thing happening we Live Morgan and Dirty Dom, and that pairing has lasted and has been entertaining and has prevailed Living Dirty Dom works because Dom became more than Ray's Brady's son, and that because and that was also the case with Riha Ripley, but would Live Morgan it was more pronounced Live Morgan gained sharper heat and clearer identity and say what you want about say what you want about her theme song, Eh, you know she still has a clearer identity about her character. The chemistry between Dom and Live, even though they don't make out because you know, Dom is a married man and I'm sure they all respect that. They just do eskimo kisses and jumping in each other into each other's arms, things like that. The chemistry between them strengthened the faction of the Judgment Day and their act became bigger than either character alone. Maxine and Austin Theory have the potential to do something similar for the Vision. The right pairing and wrestling is alchemy. Two characters touch and suddenly both of them have a reason to exist louder and It's and It's not just what the romantic storylines. It is also something that you see with the best rivalries in wrestling. Now why this could work for Maxine In Austin Theory, Maxine oct to her credit, has improved her acting's better, her time better. She carries herself in more confidence. A heel turn just gives her the sharper edges. She's no longer the woman learning wrestling beside Otis and Tazawa or Otis back in the day. She now has agency, cruelty, and direction. Maxine is no longer just reacting. She is freely choosing, and the moment a character starts freely choosing, the audience starts watching differently. Austin Theory needed this. Austin Theory has talent, He has the look, he has the physique, he has the presence, but compared to Logan, Paul and Brown Breaker, he lacked a distinct spark and in the vision he risked feeling like the group's Marty Janetti. Maxine's involvement gives him a personal angle. It gives the people the reason to boo him beyond he smug. Austin Theory has always had the ingredients. What he needed was the seasoning. Maxine might be the salt, the pepper, and a little dash a poison. Now the confort between Tozawa and Otis. The real wound was with Otis. Tazawa's question you expected to Otis to demand an explanation. Of course, Tazawa, being a good friend, he says, Austin's not a good guy, why are you with him? He wasn't looking for backstage gossip. He was asking the question every friend asking when someone they love chooses a bad road? Why him? But the Maximum Male Models payoff? This is where Otis. The Otis piece hits Otis and Maxine floating around for years from Maximum Male Models, there was always this little comedic, awkward, wishful film. A dynamic. Otis gets over because he's charismatic. He moves incredibly well for his size, he has real personality. Fans like seeing the big, lovable guy. Tweetdaking matters, and to tease, the fiction between him and Maxine gave audiences something sweet to root for. Otis got over because he was not just big, He was open hearted. He was the guy that made fans think, maybe the sweet dude gets it this time, Maybe the sweet dude is seen, but the cruelty of the turn Otis just gets mocked. He tries to get his feelings out. For character like Otis, vulnerability is the high spot. It's not the big slams, it's not the caterpillar, it's his heart. The dangerous move was not a dive off the top rope. It was trying to say what he felt. He stuttered through it. Theory mocked Otis. That's expected heel work. It works because it pokes the audience's protective instinct. They don't boot theory because he is arrogant. They boo because he is humiliating someone who dared to be sincere. The fastest way to turn a crown against you is to mock sincerity. People can forgive arrogance, they hate cruelty. Maxine intervenes just when Otis might overpower theory. She talks Otis down and then classic heel theory, hitting the low blow during this, and then Maxine rides Otis for thinking that he ever had a chance with her brutal It weaponizes the very thing that helped Otis get over. They took the wish fulfillment and shattered it in front of the audience, and whether you like it or hate it. That is effective here work, but it was never likely that WWE obviously would pair Otis at Maxine romantically in a long term serious way. Wrestling works because the emotional possibility remains. We know wrestling is constructed, we know archetypes exist, we know presentation matters, but emotions still land Otis being rejected hurts because the audience remembers being laughed at, underestimated, friend zone, dismissed, or treated as impossible. Wrestling is not real except for all the ways it absolutely is. I'd say that again, wrestling is not real except for all the ways it absolutely is. So going forward, Maxine is a heel. She has clear direction, She is not confused. She has not merely hurt. She's choosing power, status, cruelty, and romance. Austin theory has his heat that people can care about. Austin Theory is not just arrogant. He took advantage of Maxine's turn and humiliated Otis. That gives people to want him punched in the face. It's excellent wrestling economy, beautiful, Alpha Academy effectively gone, Chad is gone, Maxine turns, all Otis and Tazawa are left behind. They become the good hands again, unless WW gives him the next chapter. Alpha Academy did not explode all at once, and sometimes that is sadder. Now, just a little side note here. If Maxine had a brother around to tell her to make better choices, then maybe he could have talked some sense in her. But na, nah, we don't talk about that anymore, though I will say he does look like a certain megastar. Yeah. Now over to Chad Gable. As I mentioned earlier, and I then mentioned the last couple of weeks El Grande Americano that saved him. The storyline gave Chad Gable something rare, comedy, absurdity, technical excellence, Luca respect, Heath catharsis a second life. The Elgrande Americano story should have been the kind of thing that gets a man laughed out of relevance. Instead, Chad Gable wrestled it into a career resurrection. Mexico booed o g l Grande, but respected the man Chad Gable. That's a beautiful paradox outside the mask, fans respect the Chad's role in making the current El Grande, or as a column, as Chico calls him, El Venti Americano played by Ludvik Kaiser, such a beloved character. They booed the mask, but they applauded the craftsman beneath it, and that is where the money is for the WWE. For triplet Ah, the goodwill carries worldwide. Respect did not stay in Mexico. It followed him. Fans around the world started recognizing how hard he committed to the bit, how good the matches actually were, how much he elevated the story, how selfless his work had actually become. Even though he was the original El Grande. He gave it up for Ludvig Kaiser to be the real El Grande or to be the dominant El Grande, and showed how valuable he is to WWE and to the entire wrestling industry. Sometimes the crowd does not just reward the character, but sometimes they reward the worker behind the character, making decisions for making the ridiculous feel real. And so he has been rewarded with an INCHA Continental title match against Penta at SummerSlam. He earned it and Penta is the perfect opponent here. The Icy title works because it's the worker's crown. The match can blood technical wrestling Luca influence and character stakes. It couldn't happen to a better guy. The Icy title has always been the belt for the wrestlers who make wrestling feel like craft, and Chad Gable belongs in that conversation characters develop. The character development is winning with WWE, with AEG the larger industry all putting up strong material. It is hard for one company to dominate the conversation every week, but that's a great sign for the industry and the whole because the business is healthier when companies have to fight for attention through better stories, better characters, and better execution. When everybody is producing good wrestling, you cannot coast on brand power. You have to make people care. And right now the industry is remembering the character is not decoration. Character is the engine. Maxine's heel turned shows what happens when hurt, ambition, or status becomes a weapon. In Catholic terms, because I'm Catholic, the human person is never tooled. So when Maxine uses Otis's vulnerability to humiliate him, that is moral ugliness that she rejected him. Rejection can be honest. Humiliation is different. The sin of that moment was not that Maxine did not return Otis's feelings. Nobody owes you romance, nobody does. The ugliness was using his heart as a prop beautiful storytelling Otis and human dignity. This remains lovable and dignified even when mocked. A per person's worth is not measured by desirability, useful as status or victory. Otis does not become less worthy because Maxine laughs. And that is true in wrestling, and frankly it is true in life. And Chad Gable and his redemption through his craft. Chad's arc shows that sometimes redemption is not a speech. Sometimes redemption is the long obedience of doing excellent work. He committed, he elevated others, He made the bit matter audience notices. Sometimes redemption looks at a less dramatic apology, like showing up doing the work and letting your craft become the apology your mouth could not finish. Grace does not erase consequences, but grace can turn consequences into formation. And if wrestling teaches us anything, it's that a man can lose his stable, He could lose his mask, He could lose his crowd for a while and still find his way back through the work. That's what Rog gave us this week. Maxine shows power and became dangerous. Austin finally gave some, finally gots rather some he needed heat, always got his heart stepped on, but not his dignity erased. Tazawa remains the friend asking the honest question, and Chad Gables, somehow, through one of the weirdest storylines of the year, may have rebuilt himself into the Intercontinental Championship defender and possibly the Intercontinental Champion. That is character development, not just wins and losses, but we have choices and consequences. Ringside Heat on New Stock, Saga nine sixty am. Just a few more minutes left here in the show, Episode two twenty two context, contracts, characters, and chaos. Let's look at the Saturay Night's main event card really quickly. Dan Housen versus JD McDonough's notice qualification. JD McDonough with Raymisterio we at ringside Shenanigan's guaranteed Dan Housen notice qualification match with dom Is nearby is not a stipulation. It is a haunted carnival with a referee intel. Now I'd say JD's gonna lose. Dan Housen's gonna win this one because it's New York, because the NBA Championship in New York next, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. It's gonna be a good will match and it's gonna be a fun one to start off the show. I believe Paige and Bribella versus the field influence this could be. This could be the match where Page and Bribella possibly break up, lose the Champ Team Championships, possibly when Nikki Bella comes back. But it also could be the graduation ceremony for Lanny Reed, Fallon Henley and j C. Jane coming up from NXT. So I'm hoping to see that something could happen that could lead up the SummerSlam between these two teams or more. Next match, Bailey versus Lyra Valkyria Ken character developments. Lyra Valkyria on Raw not just turned on Bailey, but she deteriorated. She came to ringside, as said by Corey Graves, looking like the frustration had physically changed her, looking like she had not showered in a week and was not just and it told the audience this pressure is finally getting to her. Larry did not just turn heel, she started unraveling. Now here's the thing. I think Bailey's will still win this match because of this could be a crowning moment for Larra somewhere down the line. And we've also got cmpunk versus Cody, Rhoads versus gunther and Sammy Zain. This is the main event of setning an intimate event with SummerSlam implications. Cody just lost the title. Cmpunk is now in line for Cody at SummerSlam. Gunthar has been pressuring Nick all this for a title shot. Sammy Zain has both won and lost the title in the short span, and he's entitled to his title shot. His remax. Rather, the undispeated Championship scene is unstable, and isn't that the great way to make sure wrestling is unpredictable? Throw in some instability. This is the surprising part. It's the ww WE undispeated Championship. It is the ping pong title of the two major world titles. Here. For years, the world title is foot lockdown for long rains, and now the undisputed Championship is the one that's volatile. Sammu wins, Sammy loses, Cody loses, Punk steps in gunt their precious management. Everyone smells the opportunity for the signature title of the WWE Saturday Night. It's an event Madison Square Garden. Not just to stop on the character. It's a measuring stick. We'll find out if Dan House's Crossover Magic is still very nice, very evil and very New York. We'll find out if Fatal Influence is ready to take the Women's Tank Division by the throat. We'll find out Lyra Valkyrias frustration, if it cracked her or only pushed her to go too far. And we will find out whether Cody roads and see him Punk and stand beside each other for one night before trying to tear each other apart at SummerSlam. MSG will not just post history. It'll sometimes heckle history. I tell history gets better. That's all the time we have here for you here at Ringside Heat. My name is Lextan. Follow me at wexta media fod of the show at Ringside Underscore Heat. We remember the things that you probably forgot