Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Pink Shade. It is pop and Bravo Thursday. It's Thursday. You guys have a special treat for you today. Are you guys fans of ninety sitcoms? I am, even though I was maybe too old for it, but I have Christy Laken, is Stacy Keenan today that you're the child stars of step by Step. They have a podcast called Keenan and Lake and give You de Ja Vous where they recap step by Step, which is a great idea. I'm loving these recap shows that we're getting lately, So welcome Christine and Stacy.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Mary Pain, thank you so much for having us. I am if you knew what a huge and longtime fan I am of yours. I was just thinking, I've been listening for so long. I don't know if I can say I'm a Day one bunkie, but I was listening back when you had that, said Mary Payne in the streets Aaron and the Sheeks. I think they were flip flops and one said one and the one said the other, which I thought.
Speaker 3: I love that Merched, I love it so funny.
Speaker 1: That is so nice. Now listen, I when you reached out to me, and I've told this on the show. You came at me with an alias that went into the folder that comes in where like the people are trying to offer you sex work like that's amazing, yes, and I go okay, And then you explained who you were, and I was like, okay, why are you so undercover? Because look, Christine's here right and she's got her full Instagram name loud and proud.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to do Instagram. I think you're the first person that I ever DMD And I felt like I was going to get arrested, like I don't really know how.
Speaker 3: To do it.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what was going to happen. I don't know what you're seeing on your end. So I just but I had to take a shot because I'm just such a big fan.
Speaker 1: That is so funny. Well, it did go into my porn folder, and usually I just go through it and click them all and hit delete. But I was like, well, and then I read the first line. I was like, Okay, this person used my name, so they must not be trying to sell me sex services. So well, I'm glad I did. Yes, I'm glad I did it, and I.
Speaker 2: Know it's Mary Payne. Of course, not Mary. I get so mad, like all the other listeners, when anyone calls you Mary on the show, I'm outraged.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the outrage on my behalf. I really do. I really did. I really do, because when it's so funny when I go to Mississippi, I don't get it. I just say Mary Pain and people say Mary Payne. I just met a guy here I'm in at Baldhead right now, and I said, you know, I'm Mary pay blah blah blah, and he goes, oh, Mary Pain, it's so nice to meet you. He just immediately said it. And then he said I was talking about my son who goes to Ole, miss He goes, oh, my cousin or so and so goes there. Her name is Mary Payton. And I was like, of course it is so because, like I said, my best friend growing up I was Mary Preston. So I was like, yeah, okay, I get it. I get it. So yeah, listen, don't be outraged my behalf. Sometimes people they're a little Yankee and they just can't get it. And even if I explain it, they still can't get it. And that's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Well, Christina is from Georgia. She gets it also.
Speaker 4: So totally get it. I knew many a friend that had a double name. You know, Mary Grace was a big one. Mary Grace from very Gray. That's a good one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When you put that last name as the middle, that's when it gets a little murky with people. They get a little confused, and I just have to explain. It's like Ellie May Billy Bob. I make it sound real country and then they get it. Okay. So I want to hear the history of you two and your friendship. So you were on this show. Now, how old were you when you were on Step by Step?
Speaker 4: I started when I was twelve, Okay.
Speaker 2: I was I think fifteen when we did the pilot in sixteen when the show started.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so I didn't realize. I guess, were you playing fifteen and twelve? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Pretty much? Yeah, so it was like.
Speaker 1: Seven and nine or anything like that.
Speaker 4: No, although I usually always played younger because I've just been very small and short my whole life. So but I very even if I wasn't exactly twelve, like I looked pretty tiny in that pilot I might have been playing ten. Eventually I kind of caught up to my own age, I feel, yeah, yeah, But in the beginning, you know, Stacy, she was already a teenager. That's a big difference when you're twelve and sixteen. Yeah, but I of course looked up to her. I had watched My Two Dads. I was such a fan of Step by Step, I mean, of TGIF and all of it, and so getting on the show. I had been working in Atlanta as a as a child actor, and that was just I mean, it was a huge, huge experience and really really fun.
Speaker 1: And you just like moved to la and you're like, now I'm a star.
Speaker 4: Not really, I mean, we stayed in Atlanta, I came out, I auditioned, and we didn't really think any thing was going to come from it. It was more of just like the experience and the fun. And then when I got the show and then the show went, it was definitely like, oh God, Okay, well what do we do now? But yeah, someone tells you, like, it may not go, it may not go more than a year, don't uproot your life. So my mom and I came out and we just rented in an apartment rented everything, lived in corporate housing, and I still went back to my school in Atlanta and thought, pretty much, that's kind of what we did for the next seven years.
Speaker 1: Oh really, And so what about you, Stacey, What was your story with getting on the show, and did you do the same thing or did you play at roots or were you already in La No.
Speaker 3: I started acting when I was four.
Speaker 2: That was back in Philadelphia, and then we were just doing local stuff, commercials and Grant my sister.
Speaker 3: And I, and then we got an agent in New York.
Speaker 2: We started taking the train up to New York two times a week, three times a week, four times a week, until we finally just moved to New York, my mom and my sister and I and then I, my sister and I just did a ton of.
Speaker 3: Work in New York.
Speaker 2: We did voiceover, we did jingles, we did theater, we did television, we did everything. But then the good stuff was always happening in La. The good parts were always going to the kid in La.
Speaker 3: So we came out.
Speaker 2: For pilot season, but really we had already decided that we were moving there. So we came out for pilot season, and that pilot season, I booked my two dads and then I did. My two dads did another show for the same producers that produced Steff by Step, another show right after my two dads ended. That only lasted for a year before that got canceled. And then they offered me the part on Step by Steff, which I think is maybe the only time I've ever been offered.
Speaker 1: The part that is wild. So I'm interested in the whole thing. Because of course, I'm sure lots of people have asked you about Quiet on the set the documentary that came out, and so were you guys, maybe at least Dacy, maybe you were like, well, I don't know, because you were on TV before that, what was your experience with that? Did you watch it and did you feel that that represented your experience as like a child star?
Speaker 3: For me, it didn't in terms of Step by Step.
Speaker 2: You know, we've on our podcast, we've talked a lot about that experience. It was such a really it actually was a family environment.
Speaker 3: You know, people say that a lot about their show. Our show really was truly like that. It was just the nicest people the.
Speaker 2: Top down, you know, including Patrick Duffie and Susanne Summers and just everyone involved, so I didn't have that experience on Step by Step in other industry experiences, the documentary definitely rang true to me. I definitely recognized, you know, there's just something about being a kid in the industry that attracts certain creepy people, whether it's a photographer or whoever it is. That element felt unfortunately familiar to me, but not from Step by Step.
Speaker 1: And how about you, Christine, did you feel that you had dealt with some creepy people as well?
Speaker 4: You know, step by Step was really my first big, big job, and everything else I had done from that point prior was in Atlanta and was really like a commercial here and a commercial there. I mean, I had a very idyllic experience as a kid. As I got into my twenties and I continued acting, Yeah, there were all kinds of stories like, you know, this director wants to see you for this part, but he's staying at the Chateau Marmont and You're going to have your audition in his hotel room. And I'm like that's not normal.
Speaker 1: And You're like, no, sir, mister Weinstein, No, sir, don't think I'm going there.
Speaker 4: But okay, you know, just and I think more than that. Even it's just like the expectation that you would almost forego any kind of rational thought in order to get a job. And I feel like so many times that that experience of if you worked in a bank, would this be the thing you would do to go and interview for this job? No, of course not would you be asked to do these things, you know, behind closed doors. But this is how what everybody else is doing to get this job. And I think that like a lot of times, those expectations of what the industry, you know, this is what they demand of you to know that you're right for the part. Just it almost I feel like it almost a lot of young women, especially just let all their inhibitions and actually rational thinking go by the wayside. And there was not a lot of people to protect you at that time. People weren't talking about things the way they talk about it now. People definitely you know, agents, managers, like you were really on your own, so no one was walking you into the room. It's not like you were a kid and your parent was with you at the audition.
Speaker 1: Weird can you think of that now? Though you think about like a like a twelve year old, you would you if it was your twelve year old, you were like constantly with them. But it does seem like, especially from the documentary and hearing you guys talk about it, it was just sort of like go and do it. It just seems like things are so different now, and maybe it's not. Maybe it's exactly the same, and that it's just more hidden. Like I have no idea, but it seems like more and more of these things are getting exposed, which can only be good for child actors coming up, right, because so many of them you just I mean look good like Lindsay Lohan who did pull it together, But you have so many young people like Britney Spears or Justin Bieber that had just grew up too fast, I think, or had people really not looking out for them, looking at them as like a money maker, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think it's twofold, right, so I think, yeah, that stuff probably still goes on. I think it's more exposed as now, but back then even now, like a lot the other part of it, it depended on who your parents were. Do they have the time and energy to be with you and not be at a full time job and just make their life your career. And to what end, you know, is it because they're just supporting you or is it because they suddenly see you as the the ticket to you know, fame and fortune. I mean, thinking of that is weird.
Speaker 1: Did y'all read Jeanette McCarty's book.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, it sounded trigering. I love I loved it.
Speaker 2: It was heartbreaking, but I also I loved how at truths ball I think she was about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jeanette mccurty, guys, if you don't know, wrote a really great book called I'm Glad my Mom Died Yeah, and which is like rough, but you know what, it was really attention grabbing and it got a lot of press. And then I am also like too old for the shows that she.
Speaker 2: Was on.
Speaker 1: Cat and Kat and Nat, Cat and Nat. Is that what it was? Because then she was on Ariana Grande that was a spin off or Vice versa. But it was all a Nickelodeon situation. And my kids were sort of in that sweet spot of they were sort of Dora the Explorer at that time, you know, so they didn't quite watch those Nickelodeon shows, and I forbid them to watch Hannah Montana for some reason. That was the that was like, this is the hell I'm dying on. You can't watch Hannah Montana, Yeah, because I thought they were just too sassy to the parents. You know, it didn't help they became sassy anyway. But but I think it was in that time, so I didn't quite know who she was. So I was coming at it from just like she was a complete stranger to me in that book. And that was a great book, great book. That was a great book. So all right, well we'll move off of that terrible subject. So your show step by Step ran for seven seasons, like that's a long time.
Speaker 4: It's a long time. Yeah, yeah, and now today's age.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, we really, we really grew up on that show.
Speaker 3: And that's really what a.
Speaker 2: Lot of our podcast is about, is talking about growing up in the nineties in front of a camera on TV.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm yeah yeah, now, okay, now tell me. I was looking at the time frame and when step by Step came out, it was literally right after Dallas ran off the air and Patrick Duffy, who I saw was on your show this past week or so. I mean that was I was like, oh my god, Like, you know, I was of the age where I thought he was so hot. So he was coming right off the theme of Dallas right into that show, and of course Susanne Summers icon. I mean, how could it go wrong? I mean with these two people on the show, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it was. Yeah, it was definitely. It was definitely for those producers. You know, they were no novices to television. Tom Miller and Bob Boyette were TV giants already. They had done Happy Days, la Vernon, Shirley Mork and Mindy all of basically almost every show that ran on TGIF. So they really, you know, had a knack, like a golden touch for putting casts together and putting shows together. So I think getting Patrick Duffy, who had been desperate to do comedy. Nobody knew him as a comedy performer and nobody thought he could do comedy. And I said, how did you get that role? Like how did they know to? I mean, you're Patrick Duffy, but you had never done a sitcom. He had them send over the gag reels of Dallas.
Speaker 3: Oh smart.
Speaker 4: That was how he sort of convinced everybody that he could do it, and he really wanted That's like a direction he'd really wanted to go in for a long time. So I think having those two together already on the show, it voted very well for the start of it.
Speaker 1: And Susan, Susan and Summers. I just got to ask you about her. She seemed like such a genuine person. She was like so rich with that QBC money.
Speaker 3: True, yes, true, Yeah.
Speaker 2: She was a great business person, brilliant business person, so savvy and smart and ahead of her time in.
Speaker 3: So many ways.
Speaker 2: She she did not have a diva bone in her body, and neither does Patrick Duffie.
Speaker 3: So you know it, I'm sure maybe some of those producers who.
Speaker 2: Didn't know them were afraid, oh god, you know, we're going to bring these two in and they're gonna it's going to be a diva off, you know, between the two of them, and it was.
Speaker 3: The complete opposite.
Speaker 2: They're both they both were just so easy going and funny and just sweet truly.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Suzanne was.
Speaker 2: Just just incredible, just so so glamorous, you know, and the icon that she was, but at the same time just goofy and so sweet to all of us kids and so welcoming.
Speaker 3: She was very maternal.
Speaker 2: Actually, she had a very nurturing way about her, and she had her own kind of way of talking to each of us, you know, according to our age and what we were up to. So she and I and Angela Watson we would always be talking about you know, she would call them our shallow conversations because we were always talking about a certain lift liner and what shoes we were trying to get and clothes. You know, she just she found a way to connect to all of us individually.
Speaker 3: Even though there were one hundred kids on that show, she still managed to do.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, this roused me. I want to ask you guys to give me I need for both of you, your best and your worst Hollywood story, Like give me like a like a I Love, I Love like a brush with fame kind of a story. So give me give me your best and your worst. And if you don't want to say the prepl's names are the worst, you don't have to. But I'll try to guess anyway.
Speaker 2: Okay, So wait, I'm just well, let me clarify when you stay brushed with fames? So do you mean experiences an experience with a celebrity?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just anything. It could be on a set, like something personally, something you were working on or it give me like you ran into them at the grocery store.
Speaker 3: Well, I've talked about when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: I got to go on to the set of a few Good Men and I got to meet Tom Cruise and Kevin Bacon and to me more it's kind of best and worse all in one because they were all wearing the uniforms, they were in full wardrobe, because they were they were shooting, you know. I went my step tutor took knew somebody over there and took me over to the.
Speaker 3: Sound stage and I got to meet them all.
Speaker 2: So that was kind of best because they were all exactly like you would want them to be, you know Tom Cruise, which was well, hello, nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: You know, just look you.
Speaker 2: In the eye, just so just impressive. And then I also got to meet Jack Nicholson, who was my idol and at that time was I just thought he was the best actor who had ever lived. He's what I aspired to be in terms of acting ability someday.
Speaker 3: And he also was very impressive.
Speaker 2: He had the uniform on and everything, but he was also pretty drunk.
Speaker 1: What what he was drunk on set?
Speaker 2: Yes, So I mean and I was maybe thirteen or fourteen, but even I could tell.
Speaker 1: What was he supposed to be drunk in the scene and it was method acting or he was like, hey, I'm done shooting for the day. Let's tie. I went on, No, it was the morning.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty strict. They were about to do some big courtroom scene. You know, you can't handle the truth or whatever?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, wow, well that is crazy. And Tom Cruise, he didn't try to recruit you to scientology, did he.
Speaker 3: He didn't have a chance.
Speaker 2: It was a brief interaction, you know, he you know, it was just a hello. It was just a nice hello and a little small talk and then and then moving on. And then years later I saw Jack Nicholson at a strip club in Atlanta with his sunglasses on iconic, just standing up dancing in a full circle of naked ladies that were all dancing around, And I thought.
Speaker 3: Jack is in his this is he's in his element right now. He looked very happy.
Speaker 1: Now. I don't want to know why you were in a strip club with naked ladies, that's your own business, but it must have been It must have been a pretty high end one. If Jack Nicholson was there.
Speaker 3: It was gorgeous. You know.
Speaker 2: I with some friends for the Olympics when it was in Atlanta, and they wanted to go, and they were saying how fabulous the strip clubs were in Atlanta, and I don't think I had ever been to a strip club, and I was completely down, and yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Place was gorgeous. It looked like it looked like a Vegas you know, showroom. It was incredible.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh my goodness, those are good. All right, Christy top of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Atlanta's known for their strip clubs there. It's one of our exports, imports, I don't know anyway, So let's see. I mean, I have a lot of strange and fun stories. God, i'd have to say one of one of maybe my most unique. I did a movie when I was in my twenties and I got to go to Turks and Caicos for two weeks. Cool, you know, pretty awesome. And Christopher Walkin played my father in the movie. And I've just been watching him on the second season of Severn, so I'm a little bit just like, oh my god, I can't believe I got to like work with him. Yeah, he's just such I mean, he's so iconic in so many ways. And we were we were working, we were on this pier. He is just glowing white. I mean he is in like a bathing suit and we are trying to like get onto a boat and he is like literally like I mean white and white.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's like it's like me is like me got to it. Yeah, It's like oh girl, yeah.
Speaker 4: And we get out. We're doing that. We're doing our work for the day. And then he was done and I was still working on the pier. So they they wrapped him. And uh, he had a villa just like south of where we were shooting, and I guess he was wrapped for the day. And suddenly he decided to go swimming. Well, I guess he can't swim. So one of the PA's looks over and I hear on the walkie, uh, does someone have a ten on eyes on Christopher Walken? Is he okay? And we look over and he's just like floating like in the water, but only maybe in I don't know, of foot and a half of water, but he's just floating like face down. And then about every minute or so he'd come up and take a big.
Speaker 1: Breatho and go back down.
Speaker 4: And he was fine, but he wanted to experience the water and experience the fish. But he doesn't know how to swim, so that was sort of his his way of getting in the water. We asked him about it the next day and it was just like it was just I don't know, it was hilarious. He was fine, thank god, because everyone thought for a moment that he might be perished in the water. Well, I have enough insurance to cover that. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I hate to throw it back, but he was on the boat when Natalie Wood went overboard.
Speaker 4: It's all very strange, Mary Pain, it's all very interesting, Mary Pain. I mean, you could do a deep dive on that.
Speaker 1: That's a good that's a good Christopher Walkin's story. I love whenever he's on SNL. I mean, because he's so he's so strange. He's just so strange. But that was That makes a good actor sometimes just a weir or the better look at Jack Nicholson. Okay, well that is a very good story too. If you come if you come up with anymore and you want to tell me later, you can get I love. I love a good story. I have one. I have a million, but all of mine are just like tangential. I went to this party for Obama's first inauguration. It was the Creative Coalition had this big party and somehow my husband knew somebody. So we got like the v VIP wristbands, Like we did not pay for them. His his company paid for us to go. So we got to go into the v VI I P room and in that room was like Anne Hathaway and like Magic Johnson and Spike Lee and Tyne and Tim Day siblings and I just like people. They're just the people were there. So everybody was like totally nice if you spoke to them, except for Anne Hathaway, who is a big old bach and so later I took a very unattractive picture of her just to show her do it. Yeah she was. She wasn't nice, she was she was flat out rude, and everybody else was so nice. And I wasn't like running up to people can I get a picture? You know, just if they were in my area, I would say, oh, I loved you in this or can I get a picture, And in my mind, I'm like they have to know that if I'm in this room, I'm not completely crazy, like maybe I have the money to be here which I didn't because it was free for me. But no, but Anna Hathe was like she had just been in that movie Rachel in the Wedding or Rachel Does the Wedding where she played like the alcoholic sister of the person getting married. She was so good in that movie, and I was like, oh God, that movie. I think she was like nominated for it. And I didn't know her from Princess whatever. I didn't know her from any of that stuff. I just knew her from that like indie film. She did not care. She did not care about my indie film knowledge. She did not want to speak to me at all.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it happened, pins it happens.
Speaker 1: Chrissy's in her mind, like I met Anne Hathaway once. She was a bitch to meet. So she's not gonna say not her.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean every so often you get you get a tough one, right, So I don't want to be there.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Sacy.
Speaker 2: I was an acting class with Deborah Gibson, right, And Deborah is a real hustler, you know.
Speaker 3: She She's like you, Mary Payne.
Speaker 2: She is not afraid to walk up to anybody, introduce herself.
Speaker 3: Meet them.
Speaker 2: So we were doing a scene together, and we decided to go to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf on Sunset Boulevard, right there in Hollywood, West Hollywood. So I had something to do that night, and at that time I used to pin curl my hair. My hair was kind of shoulder length, and I would do these kind of nineteen twenties a little so you would take your hair and foilet up and then stick one of those big silver, you know pins, like alligator type of pins. I didn't you know I had to go to this thing. The things were already in my hair. She wanted to go to Coffee Bean. I said, fine, I'm not gonna take them down. I'm just gonna leave them.
Speaker 3: This is embarrassing, I'm going out with curlers in my hair. Whatever.
Speaker 2: So I took kind of a silk scarf and I put it over, but you could still see them. So then we go to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leave, and of course who is there but Ben Stiller and Deborah.
Speaker 3: Being Deborah, she has to meet Ben Stiller.
Speaker 2: And as soon as we walk in and she spots him, it's like, okay, strategizing, we got to go over there. I have to meet him, and I'm going, oh my god, I'm going to meet them. These colors in my hair. So so we end up talking to him and the entire and he was so nice.
Speaker 3: He was so nice and so polite. But the entire time.
Speaker 2: You know, when somebody's eyes are looking at something on you and you're going, are.
Speaker 3: What are they looking at? Like? Is what do I have on me? He just kept looking.
Speaker 2: His eyes just kept flicking up to my hair, and he was kind of laughing to himself.
Speaker 3: He's kind of.
Speaker 2: Chuckling under his breath. And I was just waiting for what he was going to say. I was just waiting for this kill line that he was just gonna destroy me with.
Speaker 3: And he held himself back. He never he never said it.
Speaker 1: That is the worst. When you're like, what what what you're always like is it is something in my teeth? What's on my hair?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Stop, just tell me what it is? But looking at it, yes, but you knew what it was, so you didn't.
Speaker 2: I knew what And he's going, he was just like I could almost read his thoughts like there was a little chirn underneath going.
Speaker 3: She really left the house with and came to the coffee being in Hollywood. Imagine that.
Speaker 1: Now, let me ask you, okay about your friendship. Have you guys been friends this whole time or did you reconnect later in life or you just stayed friends ever since you were, you know, a teens in your early twenties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we well we were. We got closer as the show went on. I always secretly wanted to be closer with the older girls, but I, for many years, was regulated to being a kid. So I wanted to be like sixteen and you know, seventeen and talk about makeup and boys and all of that. But I was like twelve thirteen. So I in the very beginning, I you know, I hung around a lot with the little boys on the show, and we would play video games and stuff. And then as I got to be a little older, myself and Stacy and Angela all got closer and we would hang out more on set and it was really fun. And then the show ended. Stacy and I were both at UCLA. We didn't run into each other a ton every now and then, and then we would see each other, you know, randomly, like I would have parties and invite Stacy or she would have a party and invite me, and then really once she went off to law school, I feel like that was just a hole in time of you just being in law school.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then and then now doing the podcast. I mean, obviously we talk all the time, and we're you know, recording all the time, and it's really nice. It's nice to have a more regular or you know, schedule where we get to chat. And but there's so many things that I didn't even even playing sisters on a show, even knowing someone as you grow up again, I had a different experience in some ways than Stacey did. So there's a lot of things that I was not privy to or had no idea about at that time. So it's it's been really interesting kind of going back because you think you know someone, but you don't know everything about their experience or what they remember. So that's been pretty special.
Speaker 1: And now the podcast, you're talking to the adults on the show, which has got to be really interesting, right because you were seeing it the kid lens and they're seeing it through they are they giving you any like inside scoop, Like what you didn't know was this makeup artist was having a thing with the production assistant or any of that. Are you getting any like that, You're like, I always thought that was something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think we were pretty good about the onset gossip.
Speaker 3: We were pretty up in the.
Speaker 2: Mix about finding out excuse me, who was that kind of stuff. But yeah, we had Ross Brown on our podcast. He was our executive producer. He was our showrunner for many years, and he told stories and behind the scenes stuff from his point of view that I never knew, dealing with the network, dealing with the writers, just you know, casting, casting the guest stars that would come out every single week, stuff that I don't think I even ever thought of or knew.
Speaker 3: It is so weird.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of being siblings in a family where the older siblings were privy to or knew about certain things. The younger siblings are find out these things for the first time. Thirty years later. You do kind of live different lives. And I've learned from Christine stuff that happened with the younger kids that I never knew about. And I'm also finding out that she wished that she was hanging out with us more, which I feel bad about. I wish why didn't I think of that or why didn't I should have known that or have that intuition at the time and kind of brought her along with us.
Speaker 3: I wish I had you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, now speaking of the podcast you guys, Okay, So Stacey, when you first sent me that non sexual but went into the sexual inbox DM and you were like, hey, you know, if you want to hear this clip of we mentioned you and Keisha on our show, and I was like, what, you could just drop a line to our producer Stephen ray Morris. I mean, whatever else you said before or after that was like gone, gone. I said, did you just name drop Stephen ray Morris? Because now nothing? What? Because I died? Because again, everybody, if you've listened to the show, you know I'm obsessed with my favorite murder. I'm a huge fan of Karen and Georgia. I'm like, dream goal of my life still on my list from six years ago and I seven years ago and I started podcasting. Is number one person I'd ever want to interview would be Karen and Georgia. Karen specifically because we're the same aida. My love for Karen is well documented. I did get to meet her completely accidentally. A podcast movement lost my mind and I have a cold black heart. Cried a little. It was not it was not cool, it was not good. It did not make her think, yeah, this is a person I would love to chat with. It made her think slight restraining order might be And even when I mentioned Steven she was like mm hmm, because I was like, are you are you lying? It was I was like, if I mentioned Steven, then for sure she's gonna want to come on. No, it does not happened. I've sent a full pitch deck. I like a paid a PR person to do a pitch deck geared towards Karen to try to get her on this show, and it's like crickets is nobody has replied, Oh, so after this, I'm going to reach out to Stephen again. I'm trying not to overplay my hand. But all I do is talk about it, and I really like go to bed at night like manifesting it. So how is it working with Stephen? That's my question.
Speaker 4: We have a we have an acronym for thank God for Stephen Ray Morris. He's the best, and you know, I was so lucky I worked with him on a former podcast I did and we had a great relationship, and I've just always adored him as a person. He's an amazing producer. Yeah, he I feel like, really started doing this in the very beginning, before and before being a podcast producer.
Speaker 1: Was even a thing totally.
Speaker 4: And he's got you know, he's just got such a great mind. He knows so much about pop culture. He can he retains so many things in his brain. He's so when he's actually really I think the thing that tipped this podcast over the edge to get it going because Stacy and I. Stacy had come to me with the idea and really wanted to do a recap podcast, and I thought that that was sort of interesting. I don't know that I would care to recap it with anyone else, but I thought it was a really cool concept. I would you know, I hadn't watched the show in a lot in a long time, and Stacy had never watched the show, so this is her first time ever watching it.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: So I thought that was a really cool angle as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then so we.
Speaker 4: Started recording it. I think we recorded for almost a year just to see what it was like and just to see if we what was the format, how long would the recaps be, how in depth would they be? What did we have to talk about? Would anyone be interested? You know? And then we had all these recordings and we just kind of needed someone to come in and help us. And it's a while. I had lunch. Stephen randomly reached out to me. He and I had lunch. I kind of soft pitched him the podcast at lunch. Yeah, we've been working on this for a while. I don't know, we need someone to come in. We need you, honestly, but yeah, you're probably busy. And he was like, I would love to do this podcast. And then I told Stacy, and you could tell your reaction to that.
Speaker 2: I okay, So I'm also a huge fan of my favorite murder, huge fan of Stephen.
Speaker 3: And yes we had a you know, the.
Speaker 2: Ault, all of season one's worth of step by step episodes, all those podcasts recorded, but yeah, we needed someone to get.
Speaker 3: It over the edge.
Speaker 2: So, you know, at one point, I just I so wanted this to happen, but I didn't know really what to do. And I was just lamenting this to my husband and he said, well, doesn't doesn't.
Speaker 3: Lacan know Stephen ray Marts what about asking him?
Speaker 2: And I said he is the most famous podcast producer in the entire world.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: Like he doesn't want anything to do with our stupid little show. And then when Laken said he wanted to do it, I could. I really almost still cannot believe it. I still cannot believe it. It's like he was on my vision board and then he and then he shows up and we record the show. It's just I mean, on top I totally agree with everything Laken said about Stephen, But on top of.
Speaker 3: That, he's also he's very nurturing.
Speaker 2: You know, as two female podcasters with a male producer, he is so supportive of us, and he has this nurturing way about him that makes you think that you can do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love that. Well, listen, I think that that I've met y'all and now I've met Stephen, and then you knew Stephen, and then you love my favorite murder. So let's just let's just keep it. We'll keep the conversation going. Well, maybe it will happen for me one day. When it does, after the next day, I'm retiring. I'm never going to a podcast again. No.
Speaker 2: Now, Well, based on your account of meeting, uh, George, not Georgia. Karen, Karen, Karen, Sorry, my brain just went blank there for a second. I thought, you know, hearing you talk about it on the pod, I thought it sounded like she loved you, because Karen listen from listening to the pod, she seems like she could be a little tough, maybe a little intimidating. But I thought she loved you.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I don't know. She just sort of didn't talk a lot and just let me sort of. And then it was it was cringe. It was because Matt Maher went up to her and was like, listen, I don't I know who you are. I don't listen to your show. I can't listen to true crime. I'm scared. She goes, okay, that was the introduction. But here's my friend that's obsessed with you, and she doesn't want to talk to you because she's so scared. As if I was like seven, I was like, I like shrunk within myself and then I talked too much and acted like a real idiot. But what I hope is that maybe she'll go and listen to some episodes if there's something, because I've had some people on that she knows so maybe she would go and listen to that. I don't know, listen. We can't talk about it anymore, but it's it's okay. Tell me what shows you guys are watching now. Obviously you're watching Love After lock Up or at least I know Stacey is, because that's how you started listening to Pink Shades. What what trashy? I mean when I say trashy, I mean amazing shows are you watching?
Speaker 4: Well, I've done a real deep dive into the valley.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 4: I've watched a lot of.
Speaker 1: Your mom it's my call. It's so good, Oh my god, so good. It's so dark, it's so good.
Speaker 4: People are struggling.
Speaker 1: They are everyone struggling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course I watch all of Beverly Hill's Real Housewives. I've really done this is this is really I'm not super proud of this, but I've pretty much watched every single season and iteration of Below Deck.
Speaker 1: I am great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Below Deck, down Under. I mean this is kind of the show that we watch, like my husband and I when we're folding laundry or like lasing off no offense.
Speaker 1: Below Decks that's us with like friends. It's just always on. You can pick it up at any point.
Speaker 4: Really, if you've dozed off, you you don't really need to know what happened to figure it out.
Speaker 1: So Kimberly Kimberly update with dateline who you know as well? That's her favorite show is all the iterations of below decks. So you guys have that in common.
Speaker 4: It's great. I mean people around.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes? What about what's her name that has the crazy voice? Asia?
Speaker 4: Like this? Everyone has so many weird and crazy yeah.
Speaker 1: I A it's something like what do you say? It is like put out the clo Okay, I didn't have the close captions on now I need them. I don't know what anybody's saying on this show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wild accents. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: And what about you, Stacy? What are you watching besides Love After lock Up? Of course, which is on a break, which is upsetting.
Speaker 2: So I actually stopped listening or watching see watching Love after lock Up because it's so it became so hard to find, and then I would buy it on Amazon, but then the episode still wouldn't be available, and I would just be jonesing so hard and not be able to watch the episode, and it was so frustrating.
Speaker 3: And then like you always point out it's.
Speaker 2: So wonky the way they number the seasons and the episodes, and then I would end up maybe buying the wrong season because I thought.
Speaker 1: It was the next season and it was totally eazy.
Speaker 2: I finally gave up on watching it, and I just listened to you and Keisha every single Monday for misdemeanor Mondays.
Speaker 3: So I don't even know when you're talking about people.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I just have to go while I'm listening and look up who you're speaking of, so I can picture the teeth and the lashes and the wig for wig Court, and because I don't even know who the people are anymore. And then because of you, I started watching The Valley, which I can never undo that now there is no going back. I mean back to the beginning, all the way up and now here I am just waiting for Wednesday night for the episode.
Speaker 3: Yet I think maybe the show should be called Marriage is Hard.
Speaker 2: Maybe, And then the other takeaway from it, I don't know if it is even a takeaway.
Speaker 3: I don't understand drinking like this, because so there will be.
Speaker 2: Somebody who gets in trouble for being drunk, but then the person who started it was also super wasted, and no one even mentions that everyone's just so wasted that it's this a matter of degrees that is so extreme. I have never seen anything like it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like the Karen retrial. Everybody's drunk, everybody's driving, everybody's just running their cars all up in the snow. Everybody's just shit based on a Tuesday Oh yeah, yeah. But you know, if you ever watch vander Pump Rules, like the basis of that show is everybody's drunk, and so then they roll into the valley and they're older with kids, and then everybody's drunk. But I think it's it's a matter of who's got the problem. It's a lot of the Spider Man meme of everybody's because it's like I want to call you know, just based on my own experience. I'm gonna call out your problem so I don't have to look at my own problem, you know. And it's like, well, if I drink this much, at least I'm not as bad as Jack's. He's got a coke problem. Like it's so right, the valley is so good.
Speaker 2: On the most recent episode, I did not understand why I am still slummocks about the whole Nia thing. Because Nia didn't declare that her husband's an alcoholic, she's being inauthentic. I just I was so confused by that. I just wanted to yell into the screen. You know that they're married, right, she does have loyalty to him, number one.
Speaker 3: Number two, it's not for job.
Speaker 2: To diagnose him as alcoholic or anything else. And number three, she doesn't owe it to you to throw her husband under the bus for the purposes of this show.
Speaker 3: Are you people nuts? I just I was lost.
Speaker 2: By that whole scenario. But also I thought the people who instigated.
Speaker 3: It were drunk, but no one talks about it.
Speaker 2: I thought Jasmine was kind of drunk actually when she instigated.
Speaker 3: The whole thing, no one mentioned that. It was like that didn't happen.
Speaker 1: Well, she's upset by dark, sad Danny and what happened on Halloween, and that's fine, and she has the right to continue to be upset about that. She can't be upset about it for two years, that's her right. I did like this week that they really sat down over drinks, of course, to discuss his drinking, and nobody gets the irony. But but I was glad that he was able to sort of hear what she was saying about. You know, I am in a lesbian relationship and people don't take it seriously or they fetishize it. And so that's why I was so upsetting that you were grabbing at us, and we just kind of thought you were different from you were our friend. So all of that I understood, and I was glad that at least they seemed to come at the brewery to an understanding of his drinking, which is correct.
Speaker 2: Well, and Danet, Janet is the silent killer.
Speaker 1: She is one.
Speaker 3: She scares me to death.
Speaker 1: Love her, I love her. I love Janet. This is a great show because of Janet, Janet and Zach in the background, and if they would just partner up for evil, they could really just take it all down. But luckily they're fighting, so the evil has been split, but they are when when the show first started, the Valley and after Scannabal Scannabal, I've listened to tons of Vander Pumperle's cast members podcast. Janet was always there. Janet was there. She was on this podcast, that podcast, and even like Kristen said one time, listen, you guys think I'm a shit star, let me let you meet my friend Janet. So I knew about Janet where Janet came on the show, knew and that she was going to be a shit star. And people are like, she is the female version of Jack's, not in the sociopathic way, but in the shit stirring way, and they are right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's definitely a killer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jason just says nothing. I love him to Jason.
Speaker 4: For Jason, because yeah, she just she comes off very very put together, a little bit of it all right, as if she knows best. She can be very rational, but there is you know, she she will definitely cut someone down and and manipulate a situation. I love as she can.
Speaker 1: And I hate Jesse and I love Jesse at the same time, you know, yeah, I hate him and I love him. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I've never He's messy. I have never met someone more of a like a complete narcissist.
Speaker 1: I'm scared of him. I'm scared of him, Like that's the kind of person. When he looked right at Janet in front of her husband who said this is the game and you don't know how to play the game or whatever he said, I was like, oh my god, I'm so scared. I'm scared of him.
Speaker 3: And you're the real psycho.
Speaker 2: When you're saying that to Janet, the person who said you didn't want my you didn't want you wanted my baby to die, It's like, no, I'm sorry, ma'am. It's on You realize there's cameras, right, and this is on video. That was never said, but the show just kind of ran with that as though that is what Zach said, which he never did, never did, and his defense attorney and run in there and be like, hold on, everyone, stop Zach, please do not entertain this for one single second. Let's just roll the tape. He never said that. What he said was I don't care. He wasn't saying I don't care about her pregnancy. He was saying I don't care or that she's acting like the only person who's ever been pregnant in the history of humanity.
Speaker 3: I don't care about that act. That is so clearly what he meant, which I felt down to my bones. I also don't care, you know about that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm pregnant, so I can just you know, destroy everyone and no one can say anything to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, right now.
Speaker 3: It will just be pregnant all the time.
Speaker 1: I guess if I will say that I heard Janet was on a jance on all the podcasts Jana was on Sheena's podcast maybe, and they said that he did say something like I hope the baby died. He did say something terrible that wasn't on camera, that wasn't even maybe even at that event, but at another event. So technically they can only talk about what we saw. But apparently he got blackout and did say something horrible. But like I say all the time, we have to go by what we've seen on our screen. We have to recap what we've seen on our screen, and if we didn't see that or hear that, then we can't listen. I think Zach is great TV too. I think everybody is great. Never change it, never bring anybody else in. This is the cast Michelle's strange boyfriend will allow it, will allow it, but I guess don't, don't, don't change it. Listen because we have to wrap up soon. I do have to know Stacy, because I know now you are a lawyer extraordinaire. Are you watching Karrie Reid? Because I literally have my iPad right here, it is paused the trial is paused. While I'm talking to y'all, I thought.
Speaker 3: I have not been watching it.
Speaker 2: You know, as a prosecutor, I've had had cases with Alan Jackson before, so I'm familiar with him. But I listened to when the first trial happened and the mistrial.
Speaker 3: I listened to a podcast called The Prosecutors. I don't know if you're familiar with that.
Speaker 2: I've heard of it, but they did a five hundred episode series covering the first trial that was so in depth and so detailed, and after that, I just, you know, I had to let it go because I listened to a million hours of it.
Speaker 3: So I haven't been following this one so much.
Speaker 2: I started to watch the documentary, but I was struggling with the documentary.
Speaker 3: So what is your tape? What do you think?
Speaker 1: Even if there is a world that she bumped him with the car and he fell back and died. Okay, even if there's a world in what's that happened, which I don't think it I personally, from my expertise, don't think it did. But even if there's a world in that happened, she bumped him, he fell back, he died, that's an end of story. He never went in the house, the dog never been in, he never hit his head on the gym equipment. I don't know why those people just suddenly got new flooring and got rid of their dog, like within a week. But sure, and why everybody threw their phones away in twelve different bins, that's not weird. All these things. Let's just say, there's so much reasonable doubt, and the prosecution's witnesses and everything have been so shoddy. And even this last witnesses talking about the accident reconstruction, he has set himself he is for the prosecution, and he is like, we don't know the exact time any collision happened, or if a collision happened at all. That's the prosecution's witness And then he goes, but I think that's probably she hit him with the car. No, you just said that. The data on the car shows you don't even know if there was a collision, and if there was, what time had happened. So you can't even say at this time the car sped up to twenty or they can't say any of it. And that's for the prosecution. There's so much reasonable doubt that there's absolutely no way any person could could say there's not enough reasonable doubt, because there's nothing but reasonable doubt in my opinion. In my opinion, but I'm for the defense, and generally in my life, I'm always for the prosecution. Listen if you're talking to a person who did not miss one word one day of the OJ Simpson trial. Because I worked Turner Broadcasting at the time in the CNN building, so there are TVs everywhere. Literally I would go in the bathroom to wash my hands and there's Greta ancestern Like I didn't miss a minute of it. It was all being filmed there in the building where I worked, and because I had no choice, it was all and sometimes I would just stay at work. So I was like, oh, it's going to be on, They're going to keep it on later. I guess I'll just stay at work because I didn't want to miss it because you couldn't get it in the car, and like listen, you know, like we could, like we can now, so and again, always for the prosecution, especially in that case.
Speaker 2: You know that building that is where I spent most of my career as a DA for LA DA was at CCB, the Criminal Courts building where the oj Trivel was.
Speaker 1: What's your thought on the Menindaz brothers probably getting out after time served.
Speaker 2: That's a tough one for me. This is this is not a popular opinion. But I I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: I think agree.
Speaker 1: I'm not so just like let them out. They only killed their parents. I'm like, but they did killed two people.
Speaker 2: I mean, the biggest problem for them is that they killed their mom. That was the worst fact in their kate. If they had only killed Jose it would have been a different story, right. The fact that they killed her is crucial to me and says a whole lot about their intent and what was really going on.
Speaker 3: I don't I just.
Speaker 2: I mean, they shot downed a couple of people that were sitting in their house eating strawberries watching TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who were the parents?
Speaker 3: You know. I think it's really tough.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. I agree. I'm very on the fence with that one. Listen, I have zero law background. I'm just like giving my opinion. Like it's back now, Christine. You are acting. Still, you're doing theater. You're doing tell me what you're doing acting?
Speaker 4: Sometimes I do a lot of voice acting.
Speaker 1: I do a lot of you and Danny do you run with Danny?
Speaker 4: No, I do a lot of by myself in a booth. I'm very solitary, solitary confinement. I do a lot of audio books. I narrate a lot and always done that. Yeah, and I really enjoy it. But then I also, about six six or seven years ago, transitioned my career over to direct television. So that's what my primary focus has been for like the last six seven years.
Speaker 1: And you guys are both you guys both live in La now.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I actually just drove by the other day Jax's, which I know. I mean, did you go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been there.
Speaker 4: That bar has always been weird. It's very so many different things over the years, but.
Speaker 1: It's attached to another bar. Yeah, Yeah, I went, and it happened to be Season one, episode two was airing that night. It just happened to be that I was there with Ryan Bailey and Ingrid, my producer, was there. We went to meet and we were like, oh, and then the whole cast I came in because they were doing a watch party and we didn't I'd only see one episode, so I only knew Jack's, Brittany Kristin and Luke came in and they chatted with us for a minute. They were because they knew Ryan. And then Jack came up as like he's going on, you know, like just so nuts. And then just and I'd met him before too, and I reminded him. He's like, oh yeah. I was like, you don't get away, but he was like busting our table and I was like, wow, you have a lot of energy. Should have a lot of energy. But they had they were separated at that time. She did not speak to him.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: She was like hey, y'all and just kept going that was it.
Speaker 3: Drive by there all the time. I would love to I would love to meet Jason. He's a cutie.
Speaker 1: He is adorable and he Matt Marr of Reality Gays used to work in the same law firm as he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard you say that. I want to meet those two too, making the Jake and Matt. Sorry, I love their show as well. Of course.
Speaker 3: Him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was like, do you want to get you an interview with Jason? I go no, I think he's too nu. I don't think he would. They were just don't watching what happens like Jason and Janet, and he just loves him some Janet just anything. He's like, she's so crazy. He doesn't care. He's just like, that's what she does, that's my wife. It's cute.
Speaker 2: Well, but they're coming for him right with the whole you know, he doesn't wear his wedding ring.
Speaker 3: Jason's going down.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, Janet, who would normally be the one to do it.
Speaker 3: Is not going to do it, so someone else is going to have to do it.
Speaker 1: Jason's not going down. They don't have anything on him. He's very squeaky clean. Like they did one of those like you know, you know the dating shows that I used to have that you write something on the board and you turn around your answer. Both couples did it and it was like, where's the craziest place you've ever had sex? They both answered couch?
Speaker 3: The couch, yeah, And I was like.
Speaker 1: And then it was like, what's what's your favorite sex position? The both like missionary and He's like, wow, you guys are getting real crazy on the couch over there. So no, no, Jason's not going down. I think he's just I think he is as presented, just a nice guy.
Speaker 2: I love him, But that show anything could happen, so.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true. Well, I'm gonna remember this so when we roll into Beverly Hills and stuff, I'm gonna remember this to have you guys come back on to chat more Bravo, because I'm very happy to know that you guys are watching it. Okay, so tell everybody, don't try to find Stacy. You can't find her. Don't even try it. You're gonna have to myself.
Speaker 4: You can go to Keenan and Laken because we both manage the Keenan and Laken page.
Speaker 1: Okay, Keenan and Laken, that's on Instagram and you can find it. I'm going to link it here in the show notes, so everybody go. And then that's where you can find everything about the podcast. It's where you get your podcasts, and you guys know, if Steven is producing it, it's really good and it's really good. And you had that Patrick Duffy on.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, that episode just came out on our main feed. Yes, it's Keenan and lacoln give you dejavou. We are on Spotify, We're on Apple Podcasts wherever you get your pods, and season three will be debuting very soon and in June.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good to hear. All right, thank y'all so much for coming, and we're gonna definitely have you back to cover some more Bravo stuff now that I know that you're so into it.
Speaker 3: What a dream. Thank you so much, Harry pay. I am your your bunkie, always so nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, bye bye