Speaker 1: Heather made it.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, is this gonna be a fuster you know what? Uh sorry, we're late. We had uh we had a little emergency with the regularly scheduled uh uh engineer today and I was brought off the bench to pinch hit. And it's been like years since I've actually done this, so I forgot the passwords, I forgot everything. Now we're here. It's Saturday. It's a eleven eleven AM, only eleven minutes late, but we are here for Hobby Hotline for Saturday, June the twentieth, two thousand and six, episode number three ninety two. And I'm joined I'm Chris Harris, by the way, for those of you are listening to this a few days from now. I'm joined by Uncle Rich Klein. Always good to have Uncle Rich on the show. And Lauren say hi, Uncle.
Speaker 2: John Newman should never not schedule me for a month, because now I've been on twice too straight.
Speaker 1: Well, it's an emergency. Rich, You're last.
Speaker 3: Laura, we reliable. You're who we turn to when we need hobby opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also joined by Lauren. How you doing that?
Speaker 3: I had internet issues? So I hope it's working I'm sorry if.
Speaker 1: It's okay anyway, what should we talk about? Let's talk about the US soccer team. Yeah, who's got World Cup fever? Huh, my wife?
Speaker 2: I say that I was able to sub was the wax Sports one of their story Monday Cup. Why don't we do that? As Delhi is literally a hunt, we may do world War like. I don't have to dent for another of their grand open store closer.
Speaker 1: So I guess, as the resident hobby hotline soccer guy, I gotta say I've waited my entire life to see the US play this in a World Cup. I mean. And yeah, you can say it's only Paraguay, it's only Australia, but still, I mean, if if you're Paraguay, right, if you if you qualify out of South America, you have to run the gauntlet because there's only ten countries in South America. You play all the other nine nations twice and that's eighteen games. And they can't give up only six goals in eighteen games in South American qualifying and we scored four on them. I mean, and they did it without their best player for the second half of the first game. And they did it without Polisic for the uh second game against Australia. So I am just excited they won the group with one game left left. Despair and yeah, what do you guys think? Are you on the bandwagon? I have?
Speaker 2: I mean I was watching that like r.
Speaker 1: Row.
Speaker 3: We are struggling today.
Speaker 1: There he is. I don't know what happened. Rich, you're on mute. Rich. All right, let's let's take Rich off for a second. Like I said, I'm not the normal engineer here.
Speaker 3: All right, you're doing great, Chris.
Speaker 1: No, I'm trying. I'm trying to get going.
Speaker 3: We're trying on the internet issues. We're fighting the odds here.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you, Laurena. Have you been watching the World Cup, not not just the US but all the other games? Well, have you been watching.
Speaker 3: Or I haven't been watching consistently. I have been trying to check in and see the updates and stuff. Will say, Chris, if you had been this committed to the women's team, you wouldn't have been as disappointed for so long because they Yeah, I know it's not the same, but it's uh, you know, they at least carried period the country for a little bit, so I'm sure it's it's nice for you know, the men's USA teams actually stay in contention, I know for the Olympics and for the World Cup. Usually it's kind of a bummer. So I'm glad they have something for guilt root for. I mean, the Knicks did it, so why not Team USA?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Why not? It's been fifty three years, so I think we've waited for the US for a little bit longer than that. But uh yeah, let's go to the chat. There's been some interesting uh comments. Straight afore Moves is running smoother than hobby Hotline. You could say that, uh four collectors didn't pay the bill this month. Maybe fanatics hacked into the stream. If they did that, maybe this show is going to be like one million Cubs show once a month. No, the soccer guy was in charge. That explains every it does. Hold on a sec. Are we back there, Rich? Have you Rich? I'm here.
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: Is it time for a hydration break? Yet? No? Not yet? Still have about fifteen more minutes to go before we get to the hydra. Uh have some good mornings from Pacemaker cards. More good mornings. Shout out to the people watching live. Rich is a gift to the man. Let's see what's the agenda. We're talking soccer baby. Every four years, America is reminded how insignificant their homegrown sports are insignificant. Okay, Rich didn't think long to fulfill his plug obligations. Not sure if that's a compliment or not. Imagine getting jazzed over the group stage. Well find Joey where you could?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, see what else I'm calling commercial breaks? Hydration breaks is revolutionary? Kudos to FIFA. Is the draw of soccer the game or the party surrounding? Kind of both, kind of both. Team Turkey has sabotaged this Team USA propaganda ahead of the June twenty fifth match, and that's because Turkey a lost last night, so they're eliminated and the US automatically won the group so that third group stage game means nothing. Go Chris go, you got this. Thank you, Laura. Like I said, it's been a while since I've actually done this. So I'm ready to move to Holland just to follow the bus. And yeah they so, Holland has this orange double decker bus that goes with them everywhere, and they shipped that bus to Galveston just for the World Cup and it almost came in late, by the way, So let's see the Scottish invasion of Boston. We got to talk about these Scottish kids. They literally drank Boston dry. I mean, the Sam Adams tap house bar ran out of beer.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: But the thing is that this has been the first World Cup Skyland has been since nineteen so you have a lot of pent up demand. But yeah, the Scottish fans chef's gifts to those guys. Let's see any anything else here. Yeah, I'm thinking about doing the landon Donovan whatever he did. Bring up the receding hairline. I'm middle aged. Okay, the reflection pool paint job will last longer than the USMNT. The reflection pool paint job is actually starting to peel up. I was watching something on the news today that chunks of blue paint are already peeling off it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they can have dual relics in the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a what a metaphor for our times. By the way, anyway, soccer, Yeah, it's here. We're good at it. Now, get used to it. Let's move on to another topic. God, there's a lot of other hobby. A certain basketball team won the NBA Finals. You may have heard for the first time in fifty three years the New York Cannicks. Is that how you pronounced it?
Speaker 3: I believe that, or is the k silent Knickerbuckers the Kinnickerbockers.
Speaker 1: All right, well, I guess since this is a hobby show, we have to have a hobby angle here. What what do you think this does to basketball cards in general and Knicks cards in particular. I'll open the floor up to uh, either one of you.
Speaker 3: We'll rich back that off earlier.
Speaker 2: So I think I was shocked because with the score and was five or that we're going six? And I woke up to this nick one? Uh did I wake up in the og? Was really the old on a hobby Lepologies to those not It's always good when it's so that helps. And this will lead into an upcome topic too. It's really depressed the women because are p after loss. You have probably a generational young player still going through a learning As I said, we'll talk about it later, but as a Knicks enjoy the moment and also enjoy I wonder how many tops and tops and tops two months are going to have all these celenda background These celebrities turn out to be an important part of quote height of the card mark. We recently had a Yasiel Topskisa so for like sixty k because some guy named Kobe deconvisible on the back of the card sharing the Dodgers. I mean sixty thousand dollars. That's that's a lot of money. But that's He's not the only celebrity in the back of all cards sitting on the select front road. You show up on cards, and so we have that. But plus, you know, we have the three guys from Villanova who were national Villanova and they are now and we have the Oge tap which tops now sold some insane in the cards and rightly so, because that's going to be a signal. And it brought back some interest in the old Knicks. You know, I grew up watching I was young. But may not believe my wife, but I remember the seventh NBAF. I remember the seventh NBA. We all thought the Knicks were going to be competitive for a long time. Fifty three years is almost as long as it took the Ranger for New York doesn't always get champions.
Speaker 1: Other than that's true, I mean, there were there was a lot of especially in the two thousands and twenty tens. I'll be back in confidence incompetent management from the Knicks. So let's take Rich off for the other side. Lauren, what do you uh? What did you think about the NBA Finals?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was fun? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And do you collect? Are you a basketball collector? First of all?
Speaker 3: Yeah, mainly basketball and some WWE Now, yeah, basketball is my my goat, though I love the w n B A and the and the m n B A, So yeah, I thought it was a fun series. I didn't have you know, Orlando exited once again in the first round, so I didn't have a dog in this fight. I just thought it was a fun series and I was happy for it to go to Game seven. But yeah, the Knicks got it done and there he is. Yeah, it was It was really cool to see. I think the story, the storylines, and the timing lined up just right for the NIXT I I know, hobby wise, I think Wemby's cards took hit, but I don't think that's like a long term thing he's I mean, is this part of his legacy obviously and be part of his story, But I don't think it's like a massive l on his career. It's it's a moment, you know, it gives him an opportunity for redemption. His furs are used to being a dynasty, the Knicks are not. It's you know, it's gonna be interesting, and I'm I'm happy for the Knicks because it is a great story. Jayalen Brunson, you know, he put that team on his back and scored like forty three points in that final game and Og really came in clutched pat and yeah in the Villanova angle and and and yeah. In fIF three years of redemption in you know, one of the greatest city in the world, and you know, the legends, get Patrick Ewing being able to you know, be in a parade and hold the trophy like it's really cinematic. It's really beautiful. And uh yeah, the you know, the Knicks people. There's so many clips of people like Jon Stewart you know, for twenty five years talking about the Knicks on the Daily Show and his disappointment and staying loyal And to now see everybody a little bit more gray and a little bit more wrinkled and actually being able to celebrate it's really cool. It's really exciting. It gives me hope as an Orlando Magic fan, because we're only about thirty five years into our franchime, so hopefully, you know, by the time i'm you know, seventy will have at least one. But yeah, I think it's great. The car I mean to talk about the cards, the tops now, it's really cool. The relics that they did, the the quintuple autograph that's of the starting five. Yeah, it's beautiful, like it's you know, the the Jalen Brunson and Walt Fraser relic Auto relic card of the floors, like it's everything is just really like, uh, it's it's just really lining up like beautifully, Like it just kind of ties up in a nice neat bow with all the good, feel good stories and and you know the history and you know, fifty three years and it's I think, you know, I'm sure if you're a first fan, it doesn't feel that good. But if you're a basketball fan, especially if you're a Knicks fan, I think and a hobby and a collector and the hobby, I think that this is probably one of the best things that could have happened to you. It just feels good. It's a feel good story and it's exciting. Everybody's excited for everybody, which.
Speaker 2: And unlike previous some previous basketball teams, the Knicks are likeable. Yeah, and then something there too. The players are all likable and that and that also helps forget you know, skipping and skipping the price and they're likable and that does you know you're you're a baskets And if I remember the basketball sport, yeah, yeah, to hear you say what you said, I think you know, Chris is a soccer Chris just befing down to watch his soccer here in Dallas. We got to hang out, like in late February of twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Who was going to happen before the pandemic. Yeah, but hearing that is great.
Speaker 2: You'd be great for you know, Orlandoky. I believe that was not. So we got swept. You know, they got to the finals yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you've been waiting a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not as long as the Knicks fans though. So that's why it gives me hope. I got, you know, about twenty ish years of wiggle room before I can really start the plane again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But the twenty years go to the chat Thank god, we don't need to hear from Knicks fans for another fifty years. Yeah, this is the moment when Europeans realize their vacation of La Houston, New York. Who goes to Who wants to vacation in Houston without a car? David Robinson better than Wemby? Yeah, sure about that. Get back to us in about five or six years. Let's see, hobby is populated by people who collect what they like, not what they're told to. Yes, I agree, you don't become a generational player until ten to fifteen years in the league. He's a generational prospect. It won't end well for Wemby cards and never would out of the gate once the nonsense started. Nonsense, I don't know what that's I did a line with Bernard King, Well, that explains a lot. Don't do drugs? Do cards?
Speaker 2: Can?
Speaker 1: I agree with Rich's wife? Rich? You just got a yellow card? So yeah, let's see. Why does every hobby topic happen to mention the price attached to player? Well, it's a hobby show, just saying asking for a small minority of collectors. Look, I could care less how much a card A rare one of one card sell because I'm never gonna collect it. I'm never gonna buy it. But there are some people who genuinely orangeury. I know a couple of like maybe a month ago, a one of one of Barry Bonds sold for like two hundred and sixty thousand dollars. Well, a couple of years ago, I bought a box at nineteen ninety nine Flear Cards Player Showcase and guess what, I pulled a one on one Barry Bond. So that kind of interests me. And no, I'm not selling it. Everything is better when New York wins. No, I don't agree, especially for those of us that don't ne York after fifty years. I'm happy for the Knicks. Okay, the greatest seven foot four frenchmen of all time remains Andre the Giant. Yeah, I agree. Remember when Tops did Subway token cards in two thousands, that was for They made a special set for the World Series that year, I believe, and.
Speaker 2: Those were great, And I'll agree those were.
Speaker 1: It was a cool set, cool concept. It'll be interesting non Knicks fans will soon load the franchise. The celebrity and fans success breeds anti fans. What does the Knicks Championship do for the bip Roberts market now important question? Well, I mean we could take a whole episode of Bobby Hotla to discuss the bip Roberts Market, but we gotta save that for another day. Wemby was scared on was never scared. He needs to bulk up like Andre back up on shooting too many threes. He's a hack. He needs to get better advice. Wemby. He needs to hire Bobby the Brain, he'd be his manager.
Speaker 2: No, he needs classy, Freddy Blassie.
Speaker 1: Miami is on fire. So many soccer fans here and free events. Yeah, all of these cities that are having World Cup.
Speaker 2: Man, it's been it's been quite.
Speaker 1: It's all about the flip. Money is the root of all evil. Flippers are evil, not necessarily flippers serve a purpose. I believe in the hobby. Nick's bandwagon is the only one I don't want to jump on. Okay, And when will the Rangers or Islanders win Stanley's Cup? I think it's gonna be a while. Yeah, let's see. I think it's time for a hydration break. What do you think? Yeah? The freeze? Yeah, yeah, I'm hearing it from the var right now. We need a hydration break. We'll be right back. But here are some commercials.
Speaker 3: So Laura, no, I'm not Yeah, We're we're missing this one. Yep, hydrate up everyone. Yeah. We have been to Dallas, I think since January, which pumps me out. I really like the show, but our schedules you packed right now and with you know, prepping for the National and everything, where we just have to sit this one down.
Speaker 1: I'm sure all right, hydration break is done. I hope everybody got all those fluids in them. Next topic, Lauren, you were just talking about the NSC seed and I feel that I've been to nineteen n scs. I've been to everyone since twenty ten, and I just feel this year, because it's back in Rosemont again, it's gonna be in Rosemont next again. Fridays and Saturdays at the National have just become this this mob scene now, and it's just not fun to go to the National because it's just gotten too big and I'm seriously thinking about skipping it. On the other hand, I am still unemployed. The arm is getting better, and I feel like I need to go to the National this year, if only to network. First of all, what do you guys think about the National being in Rosemont again for a second straight year, does that make you want to go to it more or go to it less?
Speaker 3: I'm I mean, I like Rosemont. I don't mind it now that they have a c I don't mind it at all. I'm happy to be there now that their air conditioning is working. Last year, I think they did well. Is my National? So every year there where you know, either the internet wasn't working, these he wasn't working. You know of Atlantic City was Atlantic City. I don't know. People have thoughts about the city. It is what it is, so I I like prospont The hotels are close. I think it's a nice area. They really let you know, the hobby community breathe. You know, people are happy to have us there. And you know, Chicago's a cool city. There's there's you know a lot of things to do as museums. You know, they have a lot of teaths. So I like it there. I'm in general happy. I like that it's in different places. I know a lot of people want them to go to Westernsissippi, but I I like it in Chicago. I don't really care at this point, you know, I don't really care one way or the other that we're doing three years in a row there. I'm just excited about it. I like it. I also like that I'm familiar with show floor and you know, getting in and and how where was it was Cleveland where the parking and the getting out was staying It took like three hours to get out of the parking lot at the end of the show. So, you know, like I think Chicago's familiar. I think people can kind of improve their experience every year because they, Okay, this hotel's too far. I'd rather stay at one that's actually connected. You know, do I want to uber do I want to walk? Do I want to stay in the city. Do I want to stay in Rosemont? So I think it gives people the opportunity to have a better experience. But you know, we all like to think. So if I wanted to complain, I'm sure I could find a lot of things that I don't like about it.
Speaker 2: So part of me has always said that the Nationals should be in Roseman. It's the center of the country. The airline is truly excessive, cab ride uber ride with tons of hotels in the air replaces to eat, and if you don't want to stay at the hotel, you know, and if you know how to do the trains, can stay outside the area and just and it's a short enough walk to that. And also if you want to park twelve the area and you don't want to do all the block, that zob too. So on our levels, the National meeting in Chicago every makes a ton of set. On the other hand, the whole purpose when the National, and I'm old enough to know when that, was to move it around the early years, we started into Detroit, went to Saint York City, AKA, then we went to back to Anna Hotel, We went to Arlington, we went in eighty seven to San Francisco, eighty eight, Atlantic City in Chicago, Nady Arlington for the Monster in Anaheim. And then it got more corporate and we stopped moving every single year we spent. Then we had Smith Bucklin. We went to Atlanta, then Chicago, so we went to a lot of difference and that was kind of cool. But if you keep the National in just one location, some people, oh, it's just going to be a big show with all the content creators and everybody gets to Chicago. I don't think it's really a big remort, I think, but I'm excited to hear about you think that's kind of cool. So I am not one hundred percent of Chicago, but I'm not one hundred against in Chicago multiple and I think we can. I think the board when I say in the National managers get it mostly there is something we discussed lay. I disagree strongly with them upon but I understand. But I think they're doing the best day can members that the vote on where the National is not the three of us decisions. The dealers actually and the vendors want to be in Chicago, They'll be in.
Speaker 1: But wasn't there like a rule in the NSCC bylines that said, not only could you not have the National in the same city in back to bac year, not only could you not have it in the same state in back to back years, but you couldn't have it in a bordering state in back to the.
Speaker 2: Found I was actually at the meeting. It was at a bar at the eighty three Chicago National, and with my terrible handwriting, and I've written about this through it, I was having notes when we started creating bylines for the dad by law for that, and it was the National all the dealers, so you couldn't state and it had to be four hundred. That's I don't think those rules exist anymore. And again I'm okay with but that was by eighty because we were getting stuck in a middle. As I pointed, he won the Detroit area eighty two area. God though we were in a Midwestern.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, I don't mind it going back to Rosemont every couple of years, but I think you have to have it in the Northeast at least once every four or five years, I think, and other than Baltimore, if they ever get their act together and expand there, because the Baltimore Nationals of the early twenty to tens were great. It's just that the show's out grown it. The only other place that you can have a National realistically is Atlantic City. Yeah, everybody, everybody dumps on Atlantic City, but it is the facility itself is actually pretty. It is. Yeah, let's go to the chat.
Speaker 2: If you're coming from out of town from a place like Dallas, it is a terrible way. You have to fly to Philly and figure out an hour.
Speaker 3: How to get there's a train.
Speaker 2: If you live in the megal Atlantic cities and you can drive there, if you can drive to Lake City, the area, it's a great option, good place for others, it's not so good. And I say this Atlantic City, by the way, growing up.
Speaker 3: Was like it was for a lot of community, my grandparents and my dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know the so Lauren, you know what I'm coming. I'm not anti Atlantic City. It's just a way to get there. You know.
Speaker 1: There there is a train that Philadelphia let you off right at the convention center. I'm just saying, you don't have to actually stay in Atlantic City for an Atlantic City Nash. Let's go to the chat here.
Speaker 3: Orlando said, not not dinner up, but Orlando actually said that Orlando would be a good place for a show. And I agree. I've had this conversation before. I mean, we're biased, we're in Florida, but Orlando has had really major cons here. You know, I know Disney is post black to talk about like you know, the dream booking. You know, you can come with your family and you can go to the card show. They can go to the parks. They can stay at the hotel and swim at the pool all day. They have a they have a great convention center. There's hotels, all along. It's very walkable. I mean, it's Orlando, so it is built for tourists.
Speaker 1: But the thing is is that, you know, every large city in America has a convention center that could host the national It's just that can you afford to go there?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean, I love it if the Javit Center in Midtown Manhattan would be a great place to have a national, But I don't think the NFCC could afford that place. Fanatics can for fanatics. That's why they have it there, you know that. That's why we keep going to the Sea the NSC Steve, why we go to the Stephens Center in Rosemont instead of McCormick Place in downtown Chicago, which is the largest convention center in the United States. By the way, the ninety was that McCormick play. Let's go to the one million Cubs.
Speaker 2: Anaheim is a great place for a national as well. I'm glad Rob Verus is doing so well. West Sports Show there, you know he runs. I believe Actually this year it's the same weekend as Fanatics Fest and the Dallas Card Show. Talked about a fun week and the final you could hit all three if you've got enough. But Anaheim. There's a lot of hotels nearby. You've got a lot of good turn things and a great place for a national. If you could get the dealers to say they'd go there, I think you'd have a better shot of getting Orlando over over Anaheim, just because it's closer to the East coast. Atlanta did fairly well when they voted, you know, and I will say Orlando is fair. They have a show called If I Remember Fun, which is a coin show every January, which is a popular among all the coin teams. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the previous NSCC management said, and this was maybe like five or six. You bet they're never going to go back to Anaheim. There's that, But that was the previous man. All Right, I've been waiting for to show this one million cubs. Nobody goes to the National anymore because it's too packed. Well yeah, I was a little too packed with card bros and Pokemon, just like every other card show. Even Keating knows Steve Jeltz is the true goat. National talk must be at a topic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're like forty days now, we have to start talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, but the other thing I wanted to talk about the National, and I wanted to bring this up, and I brought this up in our chat is this is the one thing I have problem is une at the badge it and I think Lauren you have and you had a really differed in our group chat about it's a real tough issue for any show promote. There was I saw a none on Instagram the Emerald City Ship which is in the Seattle area where it was a long walk and vendors basically got robbed. Now the two most juris times and cards. The National load in is not bad because you can actually drive your booth at the National, so you save the step of bringing stuff. You save the stuff of having to load the stuff from your car, you know, go outside, bring it in. You're saving that stuff that put a lot of load out. Most people are loading their stuff. They're not waiting till five o'clock where we can start driving their car too. But you need to have people to get from point A to B, and to me, there's a couple of minutes. But I think every National should have be badge because you get table for every booth and not everybody's going to use it either. Sometimes it's pretty safe and sometimes you're not carrying supersif stuff. But I'd rather be safe and have an extra body, one person at the booth, one per moving to the and actually another part of the car, an eye on things so you don't get robbed your car or anything. And I think that what the National has also heard is there's also people complaining Tuesday with badge. Understood that point of it. Why you're giving so many people back, But if you look at it as a safe and not as immercial, it makes the sense to get the badge. And if some of them are walking around buying cards from give a show and it makes it helps pay the deal. It helps the minimum cost for any vendor at the National, unless you happen to live Chicago area and thus save the hotel cost three thousand dollars. It may even be up to that's a lot of money to spend before. And if I was a vendor and somebody told me, well, we're reducing the number of people walking around the show, not the people with what I currently have are going to buy any before a show opens anywhere, and I'd say, hey, the more people who are walking around, that bring them in.
Speaker 1: Did you guys see somebody posted this to social media. But maybe a month ago, they were doing load in at a card show at a big convention center, and the teamsters set up basically a told book because they have a contract basically, if you were not carrying your stuff in your own arm and required the use of a cart, then the teamsters, as part of the contract, had to do it for you, and you had to pay pay off one of their union goombas to do it for you. And they were setting yeah, they were setting up literally a toll booth in front of the loading dock to extract money from some dealers. Yeah, this is another reason why the NSCC keeps going to the same places. You don't have to deal with some teamster goomba hitting me up for money. Let's go back to the chat here.
Speaker 2: Interrupt because oh yeah, because because I'm laughing, because way Bangaloria Ross White's card show, there were these two men and it was wonderful and it was it was basically a toll sheet say well, you can kind of bring in your stuff, but if you pay these two guys ten bucksy, they'll bring your stuff in. They were so efficient. I was thrilled every show to have forty dollars in a bayan's twenty dollars eight dollars out one trip each way, thank you, and then then I put the stuff in. It was really a very efficient. Then that was my twenty dollars. I figured a forty dollars just added to what my tato wasn't a bit, but that was what they were the same.
Speaker 1: Well, these guys were charging ten bucks. It was like one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just saying in those days, it was twenty bucks to hand these two guys and you knew that they were too, Yeah, and you know what you were paying them off for, and it was like, yeah, I'll and because they were really very good too. I mean, they were so efficient, I'd rather they deal with There was a steep.
Speaker 1: A few more comments. Sunday is the best day a free and clear Yeah, Sunday at the National is the best day to go. But other days on the weekend.
Speaker 3: If you don't want to bump elbows with people, but if you're trying to get your grail is not.
Speaker 1: It might not be there though.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: I love it because it's a convenient ride from airport and the hotel is connected. Good food in the good food in the area. I don't know about that. I mean, yeah, there's Gibson's, but you can't really eat Gibson's five days away you and the food in the convention center is overpriced. Keating is the Pennsylvania goat. That's questionable. The National is a scam. They do not travel National. Keep the National in Rosemont in perpetuity. Well, yeah, one million Cubs guy would say the National in Chicago. I think it should be in Rehoboth Beach Dell, but that's not going to happen. So hydration blanks are for BBV. Deodorant is optional. Yeah. National smells like a colon Us can be post off room. Ye. Rich is wrong about the National. Chicago every year is whack. Yeah, thinking of going to Detroit. And I'm looking forward to Detroit because it's right on the river front. It's where they have the big Detroit Car Show, big enough to hold the National, and there's plenty of hotels downtown. Yeah, I'm kind of excited for for twenty twenty eight. I know Lauren would agree. They should have the National in Orlando one year. There's again there's the issue of ken the NFCC ford it Rosemont is great due to its location, but we need it in the East Coast. Again, AC gets a bed rep. It's not Kensington, Philadelphia Ish that make it out to Oh there are some sections of Atlantic City that k and a a run of it for its money. Florida would be great for the National. I see a lot of people want Florida. Dallas card show difficult to get to from DFW, as AC is from Philly. There's a train that goes to the convention Center from Center City from thirtieth Street in Philadelphia and it drops you off right at the Convention Center in Atlantic City. What happened to the National? It's stuck in the Midwest and the East Coast now because that's where all the collectors are, and that's where all the dealers are, and that's where money in this Hoby. Don't worry, Fanatics will be the only card show around. Let's hope not. Many cities are limited by motel space near a convention center. Yes, and that's another reason why it's never going to be at the Javit Center in Manhattan, because nobody wants to pay five hundred dollars a night for a midtown hotel room. I spend a lot of time in convention centers. Not as simple. You're right swing by by mobile armory on your way to the convention center. We have thirty percent off bulletproofs. I went to a card show once where they had cards on the bottom floor and then a gun show at the top. Made for an interesting mix. PSA should be the influence for a West Coast show. Only four cities makes sense. Chicago, Vegas, Orlando, and Atlanta. They include four of the five largest convention centers in America. They're never going to go to them because the dealers would want people to spend the money at their tables and not at the blackjack table.
Speaker 3: I can't remember what it was full remember that, Yeah, I blanked on it completely. We want the second year and it was I mean, it wasn't a card show exclusively, but there was a card show element to it, and it was fun. It was it was cool. We enjoyed it. It'd be nice if they could explore it. But yeah, Vegas is kind of a situation there, Ye.
Speaker 2: Lauren, if every collective is its a card show element, because you could be a card dealer next to some we'll call it a person with an idea you know, way to you know, do cards in the hobby something interesting. So it was really interesting. It was an inter mix, it was it was it was kind of cool. They're all variable were out. Yeah. The very first Mint collect was absolutely allayed because there was a wedding with one of the people running the Mint Collective. Like half the people at that wedding got collect oh, and it was quite an interest until they had to push it back until everybody got well right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the second year was fun. They had like, uh, they did have the card show element, and like Rich said, you know, there were people with you know, different ideas and promoting ideas and stuff, and they had like panels like they had you know, it was almost kind of like like an industry I mean, I guess that's kind of point in the name, but it was like an industry convention where you could go into the card show and you could look at cards and you could you know, like a normal experience, but then you could also go to a panel with and listen to people that you know, you on a topic you care about or you know, like I think at the time, you know, like NFTs were kind of thing and people are talking about like digital collectibles that hasn't aged well, but like it was interesting to hear at the time, you know, at least like you know what they were talking about. So it was you know, it was interesting. It was an interesting way to actually like hobby hotline and like have ideas and have conversations and you know, you can go look at cards and you can have that side bit, but to also have the side where like you could explore ideas talk to people. That was fun. That was a cool element to it. So I didn't I missed it. I liked them a lot, you know.
Speaker 2: And and since it involves two of my favorite hobby people, well I want to talk about something fun being done at the National on sun I don't know if you caught this in Sporters Daily where I but our own doctor Jim Beckett is one of the It's almost like a the thing mark you yes, the Shark, where they're going to have on Sunday, three people chosen from various presenting like their ideas, what they can and obviously very tech savvy on what they can the hobby. We moderated Jeremy Lee, and there's good people on the panel and they're gonna and there's just it's just a way for the Nash to have something to be different, which I think is kind of and you know, and I think that's nice to have that, And I think that's that's a great concept where maybe even a little shark element into card show is a really nice idea. And I think it's very cool. And John, there's another plug, so you can add that to the plug.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty good.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good at product.
Speaker 1: Chris Harris get a media pass and I don't need one because I'm a veteran vets Let's see happens at every trade show, every rock concert, every keating bachelor party. So I'm guessing there have been what what's the over under a number of heating bachelor parties there have ever been. I'm setting that at four and a half. National does not have to go to Anaheim or even California. Uh, I think we should. Chris Harris poo poo foods in Chicago. I love it. I'm poo pooing the food in and around the convention all right. The food at the Convention Center sucks and is overpriced, Okay, and I don't eat there. What I do for lunch is that I get in my car and I drive. There's like a nice shrip mall across the street from the All State Arena. It has a pot Belly sandwich shop is a chain, but it's indigenous Chicago. There's a decent pizza place next to it, and then around the bend next to my hotel there's a Buono Beef which sells authentic Chicago Italian beef sandwich. See. I've been to so many nationals in Chicago. I already all know all my favorite lunch. So let's see what else. No crop, yeah, no, no crop dust. Detroit is rebounded unlike any other city I've seen, but the Auto show is dead. Well, if the Auto Show is dead, bring the national in. I guess folks who complain about getting the ac from Philly are the same who pay for people to open packs for them. People stay at motels, Yeah, a little cheaper more money for cards.
Speaker 2: Just saying hotel, motel, holiday inn.
Speaker 1: I think that's pretty much Industry Summit was in Vegas. It kind of petered out due to lack of interest. Yeahs too with the three Summit.
Speaker 2: I really wish some would have an industry Summit again. But everybody you know, upper deck does their own and Tops does their own thing. You know, it'd be nice to have, like the concept of three Summit.
Speaker 1: Kids, the Kid the Hawaii Show. When was the last I guess Isaacson still owns the ip to that. And it's been a while for New Balance and Sketchers should co sponsor the National too much? Poke your mom all trying to catch them in. Yes, uh, let's see Chris Harris needs to enter the shark tank thing at the National. I don't have anything to sell. I mean I could sell base sell them baseball card pedia, but we don't need venture capital ruining another good thing you'll have to wait to get in. Yeah, that's the one thing that you know. Beggars can't beat shoes, right, And I did bring this up to National management. Why don't you give veterans just a free five a pass? And I don't know. Pot Belly pig and pizza. Mister beef is great for a heart attack. The guy pooh poohing Chicago is eating at Potbelly. It's good.
Speaker 2: Hey. When I used to go to Chicago and I stayed ahead off the Marriot and I used to stay within walking in the show, and there was across the Street, and I'd go for breakfast at the Nation was perfectly fine. I'd have my oatmeal and I'd have my yogurt carfe and sadly their yo barfetes off the menu, and then it was perfect, so I'd have Muffy and McDonald's coffees.
Speaker 1: Actually, all right, we managed to kill off more than an hour. I had a good job. Can't believe we did. Notice, So I'm gonna pat myself on the back for that. Uh, you guys have anything any last words, Lauren.
Speaker 3: Happy juneteenth weekend. Everyone had a Father's Day tomorrow, enjoy the World Cup and and be saved. Have fun out there this weekend.
Speaker 1: That's happy juneteen. About time get again, opining.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward. My wife just expecting a lot. She's really got in the World Cup. So I'm forward to go to Wax the nice place to be. You have lunch beforehand, which is which is a double bonus, and I'll probably Hobby. I last, as I pointed out last the Dallas card TCG show popa Friday, and I'll give the plug. The joke was, and I got there and some oh Jericha's inside because you know, normally she can get a bad pass or some way to get into the nows and uh, and I said, no, this was free parking and five dollars to get and I'll just pay. And the nice, pretty young lady who does not look like she has a sixteen year old son, and she does, and she she laughs, she says, okay, just wait till the three forty five. She put my moneys and I actually found baseball cards there and I spent my butt. When I spent what I but to bring with me with me, I was, okay, I'm not going to find anything of the TCG show, want to go out to them? No, I actually spent my all right and happy fathers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Next we got Newman who I believe is in my neck of the woods Orlando, and Brody the Kid will be here. Maybe something happened week. So anyway, thanks for joining us, keep on rocking in the free world, and who knows, maybe I might be here next week later.
Speaker 4: Thank you for listening to this episode of Hobby Hotline. Just want to remind everyone we are a live show every Saturday morning, eleven am Eastern eight am Pacific on the four Collectors channel on YouTube. That's the number four. The word collectors channel on YouTube. We hope to see many of you live on a future Saturday. We have a great interactive chat room and we always provide a link for anyone that wants to come on the show and chop it up with us. So that's a reminder. Every Saturday eleven am Eastern eight am Pacific, only four Collectors channel on YouTube. Hope to see you on the show.