Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: I got in your wake up call you haste Amy?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, hello there, good morning.
Speaker 4: It's five o'clock. Straight up.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Thursday, April twenty fourth.
Speaker 4: Ooh, that reminds me of my brother's birthdays. Tomorrow.
Speaker 1: No to self, get card in mail. It'll be late, but better than never. I'm breaking a cardinal sin of fashion today.
Speaker 4: I want you to know.
Speaker 1: I'm wearing white pants. Got my white jeans out. Cona's like, what is that?
Speaker 5: Does that mean?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: Is it white pants or white shoes? You're not supposed to wear him before Memorial Day?
Speaker 4: When's Memorial Day?
Speaker 7: End of May?
Speaker 1: Okay, I got a jumpstart on it. Just no, don't be a hater. I'm creating my own fashion trend. Lot's going on today, so let's get right to it. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. Arrests in Alta Dina are up two hundred and fifty percent since the deadly wildfire tour through the community. The La County Sheriff's department says it's mostly looters who've been breaking into homes left empty because of evacuations. Deputy s a Thieves have also been caught trying to steal copper wires from turned off power lines. A city council committee has advanced a proposal that would put a fifteen mile per hour speed limit on streets around two hundred schools in la. It's part of continued efforts to improve safety for students. It needs full council approval before it becomes law. It would only be in effect before, during, and after school. Thousands of the faithful have filed past the open coffin of Pope Francis to pay their last respects at Saint Peter's Basilica. So many people lined up the Vatican kept it open overnight. Let people keep filing through. We're going to be talking with Chris Bakia from actually Bacia with ABC. He's in Rome and so we're going to get the latest on that in just a couple of minutes. Trenday arragua is spreading around the US. But who are they, how'd they get here? And how can we stop them? ABC's Crime and Terror analyst Brad Garrett is going to tell us that's coming about five twenty. Okay, So what's on your list? What's something that you really want to do before you leave the planet. And we're not talking about taking a space trip. We're going to be talking to the founder of National Bucket List Day, Cindy Lee. That's coming up before the top of the hour. So yes, it is National Bucket List Day, So start thinking about what's on your list. Uh, you know, I love Disney, but it's been a while since I've really been wowed at the park. I mean, I always love it, but there's a new show at the park that literally okay, didn't literally knock my socks off, but it really just knocked my socks off. I'm going to go out and about for the season of the Force, something new in the Disneyland resort. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. California is pushed to keep film and TV production here in California has cleared a major hurdle.
Speaker 8: Rebecca Ryan with the DGA and the Entertainment Union Coalition says a Senate committee unanimously advanced SB six thirty and a companion bill, A one Pine three eight, passed a key Assembly committee earlier this week. The bills aim to expand and modernize the state's film and television tax credit program from three hundred and thirty million to seven hundred and fifty million dollars. She says that will stimulate the economy and create more jobs.
Speaker 7: What we know is that every other plate in the world appears to want to attract and take this work overseas and take this work out of California.
Speaker 8: The bills have a few more hurdles to overcome, including a vote in the full legislature and a budget review.
Speaker 4: Heatherbrooker KFI News.
Speaker 1: A man from Santa Anna has been arrested on suspicion of killing dozens of cats. Alejandro Acosta is also accused of stealing an expensive Bengal Linx cat. BULLI say they found evidence of dead cats while searching his home, but couldn't say how many. The Bengal links was taken from a home in Westminster in March. Police have received calls over the past several weeks about pet cats being stolen and harmed, with some residents blaming Acosta. Three people have been arrested in connection with US free of robberies targeting seven eleven's around La County. Five stores were hit last Friday in East Hollywood, Echo Park, LA's Pico Union District, Baldwin Park, and Pasadena. Billy say in each case, the robbers pulled up in a stolen blue Hyundai Sonata and one person would act as the lookout.
Speaker 4: The city of is trying to protect its trees from vandals.
Speaker 2: Almost Man Samuel Groff faces a felony vandalism charge for massacring trees in three different neighborhoods in La City. Councilman Isabelle Herado, who represents downtowns as a coalition of organizations have come together to see the trees replaced.
Speaker 9: Into our beautiful DTLA constituents that identify the.
Speaker 7: Problem Northeast Trees, LA Conservation Corp.
Speaker 4: Who's helping us come up with solutions.
Speaker 2: Ferrado has also introduced a motion that would increase penalties for damaging city trees, implementing tiered financial charges based on the age of the tree as well as the extent of the damage. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: If you head to the beach Inventura County, you'll probably see thousands of tiny sea creatures washed ashore. They're called valela's, nicknamed by the wind sailors. The lelas are related to jellyfish, and they have this blue purplish color.
Speaker 4: They're actually pretty cool looking.
Speaker 1: They're typically washed ashore by the winds in early spring or summing summer. I don't think they can sting, but they're weird life and they're like everywhere on the beaches. Okay, it's five oh seven on your wake up call and we're trying to connect with ABC's Chris Machia.
Speaker 4: He's in Rome.
Speaker 1: That I was telling you about the pope and it's it was amazing to watch it, and some things are being done differently with the death of this pope compared to others. And in fact, they were saying that it's so busy the Vatican. Let's see, where's the story. Kept Saint Peter's Basilica open all night because so many people were lined up to say goodbye to Pope Francis. It was expected to stay open until midnight, but they said, nope, we're going to keep it open even longer. It looks like the viewing is going on through Thursday. Okay, while we wait for Chris, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A massive wildfire in southern New Jersey has caused evacuations, power outages, and road closures. ABC's Trevor Alt says the fire and Ocean County started late Tuesday morning.
Speaker 10: Quickly spreading to neighboring communities. The flames jumping the Garden State Parkway during rush hour, Officials forced to shut it down for miles overnight, and authorities cutting power to some twenty five thousand homes in businesses.
Speaker 1: New Jersey Forest Fire Service officials say the fire has burned over thirteen thousand acres. It's about fifty percent surrounded. Officials are warning the fire could still grow due to dry conditions and strong winds. News brought to you by Simper solaris the man who carried out a mass shooting at a Fourth of July parade in the Chicago area in twenty twenty two scheduled to be sentenced today. Robert Cremo, the Third pleaded guilty to killing seven people and wounding dozens of others. The twenty four year old man is expected to get life in prison. Secretary of State Marco Rubio says Iran must give up all nuclear enrichment if it wants to make a deal with the US. He says the United States is aiming for a peaceful resid Iran insists its nuclear program is for civilian energy use, not to build atomic bombs. India has revoked all visas issued to Pakistani nationals following a deadly attack in Kashmir in which twenty six people were killed. Police in India said Tuesday that at least four men with guns opened fire on dozens of tourists. The Indian government didn't produce evidence connecting the attack to its neighbor, but said it had cross border links to Pakistan. Officials in Pakistan responded to India's action by canceling visas for Indian nationals, closing its airspace for all Indian owned or operated airlines, and to suspending all trade with India. A unique celestial event is about to be visible in the early morning skies, Sherry Preston says, at about five thirty tomorrow morning, not this morning. If you go outside and the skies are clear and you look east, you might see Venus below Venus.
Speaker 11: On the other side of the Moon, you might catch a glimpse of Saturn, and as the sun rises and the sky brightens, it'll become clearer, creating something technically known in the scientific community as the smiley face planet alignment.
Speaker 1: Ooh, the smiley place face planet. I have never heard of that. The smiley face planet alignments. Preston says, you might need to turn your head a little sideways and squint, but it'll be there for about an hour. The planets will make up the eyes, and the crescent Moon creates the mouth.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're I'm going to be on the air, but.
Speaker 1: So I need you to go out and then send me a note on Instagram and let me know if you see it, because that sounds kind of fun.
Speaker 7: Mam yo by here yo by that.
Speaker 1: China has sent three astronauts to replace its crew on the Chinese Space Station. They will stay up there for roughly six months and do experiments in space medicine and technology, as well as makeup make improvements to the space station. Improvements always a good thing. Jina's ultimate goal is to send a crew to the Moon before twenty thirteen. California's economy is huge and growing.
Speaker 6: Governor Gavin Newsom says his state's economy has overtaken Japan to become the world's fourth largest economy. Newsom cites two new reports for the International Monetary Fund and the US Bureau of Economic Analysis. The reports say that California's GDP reached four point one trillion dollars, surpassing Japan's four point zero two trillion. California is now only behind the United States, China, and Germany and global rankings. Jason Campedonia KFI News.
Speaker 1: Defen Secretary Pete Hegseth is now being criticized for allegedly putting the signal app on a computer inside his office at the Pentagon.
Speaker 9: Eg Seth was already under fire for allegedly using signal to share military attack plans in Yemen. The administration has said nothing that Hegseth's shared was classified. We also know his wife, Jennifer, former Fox News producer, was a mon those on a signal thread discussing the attack plans.
Speaker 1: ABC's Nicole D'Antonio says a statement from the Pentagon says hegseth use of a communications systems and channels is classified. It says he has never used and does not currently use signal on his government computer. So it looks like chimpanzees enjoy a good happy hour.
Speaker 12: New video recorded by scientists in West Africa shows wild chimps eating fermented breadfruit together. It's the first time the shared behavior has been caught on film. Researchers suggest using the alcohol for social bonding could explain why humans evolved the ability to metabolize alcohol. The findings were published Monday in the journal Current Biology. And while the chimps were eating fermented breadfruit together, they weren't observed making a toast. Mark Roenner caf I News.
Speaker 1: All right, Jack in the Boxes, it's going to close one hundred and fifty to two hundred underperforming stores as part of an aggressive financial plan called Jack on Track. The CEO says the company is focused on accelerating cash flow and paying down debt. Jack in the Box has about twenty two hundred stores across twenty two states. It also operates Del taco I Love a good Jack in the Box, and Jack in the Box is the one that has the sour dough instead of a regular bun.
Speaker 4: They put it on sour dough. It's so good Tomorrow.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers are back in La taking on the Pirates, with the first pitch going out at seven o'clock. You can listen to all Dodger games on AM five to seventy LA Sports live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast Booth, and you can stream all the Dodgers games all season long HD on the iHeartRadio app. The keyword is AM five seventy LA Sports. Three smoke shops in the San Fernando Valley have been targeted by thieves in just a matter of hours. Police say the first one was hit in Sherman Oaks shortly after four am yesterday. Not kidding when I said hit. They crashed a Hyundai a Lantra into the store. A group of at least four people in dark clothing, grabbed their loot and took off. A second break in happened less than an hour later in Granada Hills, and then a third shop was hit in Gnada Hills at about six thirty am. The La City Council's voted eleven to two in favor of expanding a policy that prohibits homeless people from sleeping in public spaces. The policy which makes it ilegal to sit lie down or keep belongings in some areas of the city's been expanded to a Superior Street and Deering Avenue in Chatsworth. California's economy has surpassed Japan. It's now the fourth largest in the world. Governor Newsom says the Interstate Monetary Fund and the US Bureau of Economic Analysis puts the state's GDP above four trillion dollars. The US, China, and Germany have the top three economies in the world.
Speaker 4: It is five twenty two.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to our friend, terror and crime analyst for ABC, Brad Garrett.
Speaker 13: Morning Brad, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've heard a lot lately about this vicious gang Trende Arragua, and for a while it took me, well it took me a while to figure out how to say it, but now I'm it just rolls off your tongue. We don't know much about them, so can you tell us tell us more about who Trendy Arugua is.
Speaker 13: So it's a Venezuelan gang, excuse me, that was originally started in a prison in northeast Venezuela. And apparently at the time when this gang was developing, they controlled the prison, and it's been reported that inside this prison was a nightclub, a bank and if you can imagine that, and apparently got raided at some point a number of people killed the guy escape that started this gang. Excuse me, but what happened, Tomi, is that in the last decade a number of people have fled Venezuela and they have gone to various parts of the world. It's like seven point seven million, and they think that's an underestimate. Three quarters of a million thereabouts came to the United States, and certainly eight eight percentage of those I'm going to say a low percentage joined this gang or came and was already in this gang and are now in several states around the country.
Speaker 1: All right, And okay, so you said it's a low percentage because when you said seven point seven million Venezuelans, well, first, that's a huge amount of people coming from Venezuela up here, and they that's all illegal immigration.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so let's be clear, seven point seven million fled the country. It's probably a bigger number, but perhaps three quarters of a million or thereabouts came here. Oh okay, these things, Amy are all estimates, because who knows, right, I mean, people are here illegally. Ice doesn't know who they are, which also creates a year huge problem obviously in id them to figure out are they part of this gang or are they just here? And you know, that's obviously the big debate now with President Trump's movement of folks that allegedly belong to this gang to L. Salvador and I think also to Guantanamo Bay. But you know, the you know, the one concern about people like me who study this stuff is that are they a problem? Sure they are a problem. Are they the biggest gang problem in the US? The answers, No, there are other gangs that are far bigger, more organized.
Speaker 2: You know, your.
Speaker 13: City in particular is sort of a hub for gangs, right, I mean it always has been MS thirteen, you know, between the Long Beach in Los Angeles, there's a lot of gangs that started here and are continuing to grow. So gangs are just a big problem in the US. There's thirty three thousand estimated number of gangs now. Granted, a vast majority of those are local, controlling certain communities or certain streets in a given city. And I'm sure you have some of those. Two in La besides bigger gangs, they're very difficult for law enforcement to investigate, to figure out actually who is part of this gang, what is their real name? And Venezuelan's in particular, the Venezuelan government doesn't communicate with the US about who they are, doesn't provide any background information, criminal history, whatever it might be. And so whatever they do here is sort of the starting point as far as US law enforcement is concerned as to who they are and what they've done. But id I will you know, I can't say this more than enough that id in who people really are is a huge problem.
Speaker 1: Well, and Brad, like we know that MS thirteen gang members, they a lot of them from what I've seen, have the distinctive tattoos.
Speaker 4: Is does trende Aragua follow that too.
Speaker 13: Well, they apparently do have some tattoos. The problem is amy that in some of these tattoos that ICE and DHS are attributing to this Venezuela gang also have other meetings that other people have, those particularly from Latin America, have those tattoos just because they represent something totally non gang related. So hanging your hat on, oh he's a gang member because he's got a certain tattoo. You know, it's kind of like saying circumstantially that somebody committed a crime, but you don't really have the evidence that they actually did, even though you think they did, and they may well have, but you don't have the evidence. Well then what so I think that's go ahead.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious, like, why would you get a tattoo that is indicative of a gang if you weren't in the gang, Like, it isn't that like putting a target.
Speaker 13: On you cultural, culturally, whatever it represents, whether it's a flower I'm just making this up or whatever it might be, it means something else to everybody else that's not in a gang. And I think the problem with this particular gang is is there may be variations about what is considered a gang member tattoo for this group. Not to say they don't have it, but it's it's a big problem. And like I said, just to hang your hat on because somebody has a tattoo, I mean, that's not enough to charge anybody. Yeah, Now, apparently DHS is using it to id people in this gang, and maybe some of them got sent to El Salvador because they had tattoos. There may be more to it than that. I'm being you know, a bit facetious here, but it's a big problem. It's a big problem actually, id as I mentioned earlier, who some of these folks are, and you know, how connected are they to other gang members and other cities. This gang's been more described as or are loosely affiliated versus other gangs that are very well organized as far as how they move you know, prostitution, drugs, guns, from you know, one jurisdiction to another in a more much more organized fashion maybe than this gang does.
Speaker 1: Well, they're still here and there's still a huge problem, and hopefully they'll figure out how to doubt rid of them. So ABC's crime and Terrorism analysts. So Brad Garrett, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 4: You're welcome, right, gurious, talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: It's now far cheaper to rent than to buy a home in all of California's largest cities.
Speaker 8: A new bank Rate study shows in San Francisco, average mortgage payments are more than one hundred and ninety percent higher than rent, with San Jose close behind at one hundred and eighty six percent. LA and San Diego also made the top ten with monthly mortgage costs nearly double that of rent. Experts say high interest rates, taxes, and insurance continue to push home ownership out of reach, especially in pricey coastal areas. Nationwide, renting is now thirty eight percent cheaper than buying on average. Heather Brooker Kafie News.
Speaker 1: Southern California, Edison's removing an old power line from the area where the deadly eaten fire began in January. Cruise could be seen dismantling the Masis Silmar line as part of the ongoing investigation. The fire killed eighteen people and destroyed over nine thousand homes and other buildings. Videos show flames near Edison equipment, but so far note direct link has been confirmed. La County is suing Edison over the damages. Attempted murder and other charges have been filed against a guy accused of stabbing a brother and sister on the beach in Santa Monica. The attack happened early Saturday. Ivan Plankart was arrested Monday. Policers still trying to find a second guy who was with him. California's getting more electric school buses despite a federal freeze.
Speaker 14: The state is spent eading five hundred million for one thousand additional electric school buses and charging infrastructure. Meanwhile, a federal freeze has stalled plans in other states. In California, efforts are mostly funded by proceeds from the state Cap and Trade program, which requires polluters to get permits for each ton of carbon they release. Aileen Gonzalez Kfine.
Speaker 1: News LA Mayor maass assigned two executive orders to speed up the rebuilding process after the wildfires. The first allows architects to self certify that they meet building plans state standards. The second authorizes the use of AI to use artificial intelligence to help support city staff in reviewing project plans against zoning and building codes. South the Southern California Representative Robert Garcia has visited El Salvador to advocate for Kilmar Abrego Garcia a Brago. Garcia is deported on what the White House said was an administrative error, but has since. The White House is saying he's a member of the MS thirteen gang. A day after the La Zoo announced plans to relocate its last two remaining Asian elephants to a preserve in Tulsa, Oklahoma, City Council and Bob Blueman Field has introduced emotion calling for the zoo to hold off on the move until additional options are explored. Animal rights activists are saying the expanded preserve still too small for the forty and fifty eight year old elephants.
Speaker 4: At six o five.
Speaker 1: It's handled on the news, so just about a half an hour away. Trump is signaling a shift in tone on the Chinese tariffs.
Speaker 4: It's going to weigh in on that. Lots of Star Wars music today. It's been a while since I've really been wowed at the Disneyland resort. Like I always love it, I always.
Speaker 1: Love being there, but I was just surprised at what we got to see when we went to Disneyland, went out and about last weekend with Nick Pouliochini.
Speaker 4: Morning Nick, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 3: How's it going.
Speaker 4: It's going great. So we went to a galaxy far far away.
Speaker 1: We did our normal thing, wandered around and finished up because it was the end of the food and Wine festival, so we did all that and then we went over to this to the park to Disneyland and headed over to Galaxy's Edge.
Speaker 4: And I mean.
Speaker 1: I know that we were talking about this and I just kept looking at you going wow, wow, Nick.
Speaker 4: That was really great. So what it is.
Speaker 1: Is that Disney has two new nighttime shows and it's four Season of the Force, and that's all because they do their Star Wars after dark events, but this is Season of the Force where it's just sort of a light overlay around the park.
Speaker 4: That's Star Wars leading up to May the fourth.
Speaker 3: Right, so you got that back on Galaxy's Edge and then that all is happening. Plus, so this is kind of the cool thing. There is a park takeover, as you said, and it runs not just through May the fourth, it runs through May eleventh, so it's kind of a nice as you said, like a light overlay. But those two shows that we saw specifically are exclusive to Basu or Galaxy's Edge. One would be a Rise of Fire of the Rising Moons, which is very unique because it's using the existing Disneyland Fireworks show that you can see from anywhere in the park, but when you are off Galaxy or off planet actually on Bough two at Galaxy's Edge, it's a completely different show, including a lot of the music from the Star Wars franchise, so you hear a lot of those John Williams songs that you're very, very familiar with. And then the newest thing is you said, Shadows of Memory a Skywalker Saga is a brand new projection show that happens on the spires at Batu or at Galaxies Edd. Really really incredible with holograms and everything else, something that you've never seen before at Disneyland and very unique. You really haven't seen any other theme park around the world.
Speaker 1: No, and if you've been to the Disneyland for their fireworks shows, they've gotten really good at putting the projections up on the castle and the Matterhorn and that kind of stuff. So it's along those vein or along that vein. But this show, it's it's like fifteen or twenty minutes song, right, and it encompasses the six Star Wars movies, so episode one all the way up through six, which is a Return of the Jedi, and it's Luke Skywalker's you know, it's while he's part of the Star Wars universe, and it's sort of like a comic book come to life but not. And it's just so cool with it. And like I said, I was just absolutely wowed by it because what they're doing with those projections on these spires in BA two is just it's so amazing, Like they turn from rock and then the rock crumbles and it looks like the rock is actually crumbling on the off the spires, and then they turn it into waterfalls and look like water is actually flowing down the side of these spires. The technology that they've come up with is so amazing. And then the sound with the music and they've got narration and it was just fabulous. And that one happens like at eight thirty. And then as you mentioned, the fireworks, and the fireworks blew my socks off too, because I love the fireworks at Disneyland, but this was a different viewpoint or a different vantage point, and it's a whole different show. Even the fireworks are exactly the same as when you're sitting in front of the castle, but they're different because they're in Galaxy's Edge.
Speaker 3: Correct, And so I mean, if you're familiar with the existing Disneyland fireworks show, there's a hidden mickey at one point that's coming up near the end. You can even see that, but because of the angle being different at that back of the park, you almost miss it. So it's a completely new and completely different experience something that I don't know. It's a very clever use of a very large theme park to be able to really lean into something different. But again, like you've already said, using an existing event, using an existing entertainment piece that Disney already had built in, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was a whole new entertainment show for me. So again, that's going on through May eleventh at least, Although I talked to a cast member, I said, how long are you guys going to do this? And they were like, well, it's we've had such a great response to it that we might keep it indefinitely. So we don't know, because Galaxy's Edge is you know, that's going to be there indefinitely or forever, right, So yeah, So if you get next time you go to the park, I would definitely carve out some time in the evening to head to Galaxy's Edge to see these two shows, the Shadows of Memory at Skywalker Saga, and then that's followed a short time later by the Fireworks show that both just spectacular, just spectacular.
Speaker 3: And there's still four more nights of Star Wars Night available, including tonight that is not sold out, So tonight the twenty fourth, the twenty ninth, the first of May, and the sixth of May. So those are also four nights that are exclusive after hours events for Disney Ran after Dark that you can also check out an even more intense version of what we've already talked about, something that's exclusive to that, to the special event, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Usually that sells out, So we don't know if that means that we've all been, like the super fans have all been, which gives you an opportunity to go. But it's a cool, it's a fun thing. And whether you go to after Dark or you're just going to the park, seriously, go to Galaxy's Edge and check out the new shows from that vantage point.
Speaker 4: Absolutely stunning. Thank you, Nick, pauli.
Speaker 3: Okee and you got it.
Speaker 1: No worries, all right, go back to sleep now, I will promise.
Speaker 4: All right, It is time.
Speaker 1: To get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Courtney.
Speaker 1: We got to weight Watchers, another business that's just not making it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a rough out there. Good morning.
Speaker 5: Well, weight Watchers needs to slim down, not when it comes to pounds, but with its debt load. Sources tell us the Die company is preparing to file for bankruptcy within weeks. Weight Watchers has definitely struggled under one and a half billion dollars of debt, but they've had lots of issues keeping customers with this meteoric rise that we've been seeing with weight loss shots like ozepic for example.
Speaker 4: But they did say that Chapter eleven.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't impact the day to day operations if they filed for it, okay.
Speaker 1: And have they seen is like are their costs just going up or are their enrollments just really going down? Because like, what's it because of the glps and Oprah is no longer part of it because she's on the GOLP, so she doesn't need weight Watchers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they a couple of things are going on, and they have said it's one of it is just they are just buried under debt and they just can't get themselves out of it. They're not getting people on board for their diet plans because a lot of people are saying, well, why am I going to take a longer road when I could do something a lot easier and take one of those shots. So one of the things though that weight Watchers, they have made no comment about this, they still intend to be a publicly traded company. A lot of companies when they're undergoing problems like this, they end up trying to go private so they can fix some of the problems and then come back again to be a publicly traded company. But they say, you know what, we're going to stay in the public eye. We're going to work on some of these issues. But what they really need to do is get this debt down, and one of the ways that they need to do it is by getting more people on board.
Speaker 1: All right, and speaking of weighing, economic concerns are weighing on airlines.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's looking like a tough day for the airlines. A couple of airlines have come out and their forecasts out so good. So Southwest said that it's seeing softness in the number of bookings, especially when it comes to leisure travel, and the airline says that that's expected to continue this quarter with flyers dealing with this unpredictable economy that we've been seeing. So Southwest says it's going to offer fewer flights and it expected in the second half of this year because there seems to be a lot less demand and American airlines. They pulled their financial outlook for the year due to all the economic worries, the trade war, the government job cuts, that stapping travel demands. You're not going to travel when you worried about your job, when you're worried about what you have to pay coming up in the next couple of weeks and months, and you're gonna worry about those high prices. We are going on a trip and our airfare was stupid expensive. Okay, Oh yeah, I told you my trip to Florida. Pooh it was and I even I even flew Spirit and it was wildly expensive.
Speaker 4: Yike.
Speaker 1: So shop around, book early and before we let you go. Markets today looking like they're a little bit down.
Speaker 4: Yes, So we have.
Speaker 5: Been flipping between gains and losses all throughout the morning. The stock rally definitely hitting a speed bump this morning. So China's demanding that the US revoke all unilateral tariffs, and they said that there are no talks right now in reaching a trade deal. So we are seeing SMP futures a little change down, futures all lower.
Speaker 15: But this comes off.
Speaker 4: Two days of big gains.
Speaker 5: We had two back to back gains because the president from The President said that he had no intention of firing Federal Reserve Chair J.
Speaker 4: Powell.
Speaker 5: He was kind of toning down some of the harsh rhetoric that he had toward the Federal Reserve and also China. So we saw the dow rise of four hundred and twenty points yesterday.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks for getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe.
Speaker 4: We'll do it again tomorrow at the same time. Thanks so much. Definitely see you later, all right.
Speaker 1: Governor Newsom says the state's going to turn over a convicted killer who's being released from prison in California early to ICE agents. President Trump assigned seven executive orders centered on education. They include introducing a new college accreditation process, increasing empowerment to HBCUs, and improving education for AI technology. Tennis legend Andre Agassi is about to make his pro debut in another racket sport. He's playing in the US Open Pickleball Championships.
Speaker 4: I love this.
Speaker 1: He's going to face number one ranked player in the sport, eighteen year old Anna Lee Waters.
Speaker 4: On April thirtieth, Let's say.
Speaker 1: Good morning now to the founder of National Bucket List Day.
Speaker 4: It's Cindy Lee Morning.
Speaker 7: Cindy, Helloha, how are you?
Speaker 4: We're great?
Speaker 1: So I think we all know what a bucket list is, but how did national I mean, like, what took it to the level where we said we need to make a National bucket List Day.
Speaker 7: Well, actually it started at age sixteen. It was Princess Diana's wedding and I sent her a card and that's where my whole love for gratitude began because this national holiday, it all resonates from gratitude. And then I started doing a lot of stuff that she was doing, giving back, doing orphanage work, stuff like that. In twenty twenty, I became an ambassador with National Day Calendar where I share a national holidays, and just about three years ago, I became the founder of National bucket List Day. And it's important to live your death. So we have the day we're born and the day we passed away. Yet to live that in between times.
Speaker 4: I love that you have to. It's the dash in between.
Speaker 1: I've seen that like on people's headstones before, and it's so true. The day you're born is one thing, the day you leave is another. But it's what you do in between. And so for National bucket List day, Like, what are you encouraging.
Speaker 4: People to do?
Speaker 1: Does it have to be huge pie big things like going to space?
Speaker 7: No, and it's not just travel. So here's some examples. So you want to give back to your community, learn to skill, like, for instance, if you want to start a new business or start a podcast, be a guest on a radio show. Start creating lists with your friends. That's actually going to help you keep accountable. And of course follow national decolendar. There's over sixteen hundred national days throughout the year, and today it's also National Pigs in a Blanket Day. Also promote a local restaurant. We have a lot of local restaurants. I'm based here in Huntington Beach. I want to do a shout out to Masala Waves, which is a Nepaal restaurant. There's also a karaokei place called Yama's. Okay, and then if you like pastrami, then got a whole bunch of stuff in La as well. So so many different things to do for today.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Cindy, let's talk more about bucket lists though, because you know, like you said, it could be something like a small goal. But how do you encourage people then to get to some of the bigger ones, because like I'm going, I get to go to Paris.
Speaker 4: I've never been to Paris.
Speaker 1: I don't know that it was a bucket list thing, but it definitely is like to travel internationally again, I want to do that more as before I, you know, before I leave the planet, because it's an amazing planet. So how do you start like thinking of those things that you want to do and then making them turning in into reality.
Speaker 7: It all starts with having that accountability and just finding people who have the same likes and interest in just keeping each other accountable and that hey, we should mark off the Northern Lights, or we should go to Paris, and it's just a great way to get everybody together and create life experiences together.
Speaker 4: What are some of the wackiest ones you've you've heard?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 7: Wow, Well, I want to say that the most scariest fear bucket list would be jumping down of an airplane or skydiving. And once you do those two fear bucket lifts, you pretty much can do anything for three weeks after doing that, especially people who are afraid of heights. It's just super crucial to overcome that fear it's going to help you overcome a lot of different things in your personal life as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so there's a fear bucket list. I think I'm going to stick to the fun bucket list. National Bucket Day Found Bucket Lists Day founder Cindy Lee, thanks so much for your time. Go and live your dreams. It's a good thing to do, right, Thank you. All right, take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Vatican has kept Saint Peter's Basilica open all night as thousands of mourners line up to say goodbye to Pope Francis. It was expected to stay open until midnight.
Speaker 15: But more than fifty thousand from all walks of life under realm of world waiting for in massive lines from morning till deep into the night. The Vatican keeping church doors open till five point thirty in the morning to allow as many people as possible.
Speaker 1: In ABC's James Longman says the church was closed for just an hour and then reopened. The funeral for Pope Francis is going to be held on Saturday. The cardinals are meeting at the Vatican again this morning to talk about choosing a new pope. The city of La wants drivers to slow down in school zone. City council committees advanced a proposal to lower speed limits to fifteen miles per hour on three hundred and forty three streets near about two hundred schools in the city. The full council will need to sign off on the plan, but the new speed limit signs could be installed in the next six to ten weeks if approved. Police in northern California, you're warning about a rise in car thefts using technology that can break through keyless ignition systems.
Speaker 3: We notice that the vehicles are being stolen, but they're not being storn just for your writing that they're being stolen for other serious.
Speaker 7: Crimes such as burglaries, robberies, and more violent crimes.
Speaker 1: San Jose Police Deputy Chief Brandon Sanchez says the devices can be bought online. He says car owners should install security alarms, ignition kill switches, and a GPS tracker to protect their cars. He says a steering wheel lock like the club also a good idea. Round one of the NFL draft kicks off today in Green Bay. The Tennessee Titans have the top pick. They're expected to select Miami quarterback cam Ward. The LA Chargers have the twenty second pick in the first round, and the Rams have the twenty sixth pick in round number one. This is KFI and KOSTHD two Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you could listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.