Speaker 1: Welcome to Financial Issues, where we help you steward faithfully by honoring God with your investments. Now listen in as we give you the practical tools and advice you need to become a biblically responsible investor.
Speaker 2: This is Financial Issues, where we help you defund darkness and fund the light by investing with biblical integrity.
Speaker 3: Welcome to today's show, folks.
Speaker 2: On the show, one asset that every investor has to reckon with at some point is what we might consider the home base.
Speaker 3: That's cash.
Speaker 2: We'll discuss this in just a moment. Looking forward to it, folks. Seth Udinski here with you, Sam Case in the control room, and your host, Mark Manilla.
Speaker 3: Mark, good morning, brother.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Seth. Good to be here this morning.
Speaker 3: It sure is.
Speaker 4: Think about that. Today is Thursday. It was Monday yesterday. Isn't that weird?
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: Is that how that works?
Speaker 4: And tomorrow is Focus Friday in overtime.
Speaker 3: Can't wait for that. It's going to be fun.
Speaker 2: Hope you folks will be gearing up for that. Just a reminder, by the way, the best place to watch the show is financialissues.org. That's where you get overtime, but you also get the full live show one hour every day, and you get to join our folks in the chat.
Speaker 3: They're already popping this morning. Good to see you all.
Speaker 2: And, hey, join us on the phones right now as well, by the way, 610-363-1110. Again, 610-363-1110. Guys, let's jump right into our topic of the day, cash as an asset class. So, Mark, how should FISM partners think about cash? Should we categorize it as an asset class? as we might uh you know technology or some other sectors or should we think of it as something else entirely and by the way folks just so just to clarify we're not talking about physical cash that you're holding on hand necessarily this would be the cash in your brokerage account or something else.
Speaker 6: Like that so not the change in your pocket exactly yeah yeah yeah no i absolutely cash is an asset class and it's more of a defensive class but it's not like uh equities where you're primarily thinking about return producing investment. Cash is a place as an asset class for defensive use and or preparation use. So think of it as a strategic asset. I guess that's the way I would look at it. Mark, before we get into.
Speaker 7: This, could you talk about what is an asset class? What are we talking about specifically?
Speaker 6: Well, asset classes are different products that have very similar characteristics for example stocks stocks have similar characteristics different by your different stocks they they have growth potential they could have a little income potential with dividends they have shared risk you know they have market risk they have economic risk they have internal risk so that's a class in and of itself real estate could be another one real estate has different uh characteristics than their stock does it's usually not as of a flyer as stocks can be as far as growth, but it does have growth potential, but it has risk. If it's rental property, then you also have income ability, but you have the risk special risk that bonds don't have so and then bonds would be another asset class and they have their own characteristics where it's a contractual lending process so an asset class is just similar products that have similar characteristics so you have stocks bonds you have real estate you have different things like that equities fixed income commodities They all are different asset classes, and cash is one of those.
Speaker 7: Makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, you know, cash is there.
Speaker 6: The qualities of cash, the characteristics is it provides liquidity. Money is ready and available when you need it, and it reduces portfolio risk. So as we diversify our portfolio, there's times in the market, there's times in the economy and the market where you may want to be more defensive and protective.
Speaker 4: Well, you move to cash.
Speaker 6: It also provides opportunity capital, meaning you might as you're pruning back your winners, you might want to just go to cash. So it's instantly available when that next opportunity comes by. So and it also prevents for selling, for example. For some elderly people who are in retirement and they need regular income, if you are still convinced and comfortable with leaning higher towards growth, you may want to have a larger cash asset allocation so that for two, three months, if the markets are having a rough time, you don't have to sell something off at that point, but you have a cash buffer to continue your income.
Speaker 4: So cash can be a very strategic position.
Speaker 2: Now, Mark, how might we go about this maybe differently if we choose to keep our cash portion of the investments in a money market type that might make 3% or so sitting there, or if it's just in like a really low yield savings type account, depending on what's available to us at our brokerage, should we approach that differently if we're making a little more on it?
Speaker 3: Or is it really kind of the same approach?
Speaker 4: It's the same approach. It's just more intelligent.
Speaker 6: I mean, if cash is going to be part of the portfolio anyway, you want it to be as productive as possible without incurring any more risk. I mean, it just makes sense. Make idle cash productive. You know, a competitive money market gives you the same liquidity that having cash in a checking or saving account does. It provides stability and then generates some income while you're waiting. So you don't have to chase yields. So the objective of cash allocation is still liquidity. It's capital preservation and availability. So, you know, you don't worry about it, but if you have your cash account at your brokerage, that's paying 0.00001%. And you have the option of a money market that's paying 3%. Well, this is a duh moment. Just move to the, Money, Mark, make sure your cash moves to the money market that's paying 3%.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Mark, where's the line? Do CDs count as cash, fixed income? Where do we draw the line?
Speaker 5: No, they don't.
Speaker 3: This is no longer cash.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: No, no.
Speaker 6: CDs don't because they have a lockup period and there's penalties for pulling the money out. You, you've erased some of the strategic ability of, of the cash asset there by, by locking it in. You know, if you put in a CD, yes, you can get to it, but you're losing any interest. And some banks have some penalties against it. If you, if you go in and you take it out within a certain amount of time, they'll actually charge you above and beyond any interest you, earned.
Speaker 4: So you got to be careful about that. Fixed income.
Speaker 6: Well, you've just introduced some risk into your asset that was not there with cash.
Speaker 4: Bonds do go up and down in prices. Yields do change.
Speaker 6: Companies, if it's corporate yields, if it's corporate bonds, you could lose all your money if they default or go bankrupt. So it's a different asset class when you go into bonds and CDs, although CDs are very close to cash. And I think that you could find CDs that all they do is beat you up on taking away your last quarter of, of interest that you earned.
Speaker 4: So you're not going to lose a lot, but I found that.
Speaker 6: It's easier to be in a money market on most brokerage platforms because you can set your money market up as, as, automatic so that any cash that's in your account gets automatically moved to your money market account. And then when you buy things, let's say you find an opportunity and you go and you buy 100 shares of the stock, the money is there for it and you don't have to transfer it back and forth.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Now, Mark, here's a maybe a strategy question for us.
Speaker 2: You know, sleep factor, I think, is one of the big considerations when we think about how much cash we should have at one given time. But is there anything else that we should consider as we determine, OK, this is a time of volatility? Maybe I feel a little more nervous, so I'm going to go a little heavier in cash. What should we consider as we make the decision of how heavy we are in cash at one time?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's.
Speaker 6: Really important that we realize that this is a strategy.
Speaker 4: We're not moving out of fear. We're stewards.
Speaker 6: We're not just investors. We're godly stewards. And this is investment stewardship. So we don't move from fear. We don't move from greed. We move from strategy. And that strategy is to honor God with all we have, including our investments. So when we move to cash, it's a strategic movement. I think I saw a couple people in the chat already talking about how they're looking at this election time as maybe this is a time to start increasing their asset allocation to cash.
Speaker 4: Well, absolutely.
Speaker 6: Any economic struggles that could cause the markets to be pulling back, and we're starting to see some of that right now where money is moving quickly out of technology, not causing it to crash. Well, some of the stocks are taking a real beating right even though they're good, strong stocks. But if you had been with us at the beginning of the year and you listen, and we kept saying, prune those back, lock in those gains that you're getting in this area.
Speaker 4: If you had done that, you may have a little extra cash.
Speaker 6: Well, we have some economic situations that can affect the markets, including the bond markets, as we're seeing. Iran and election period and it wouldn't hurt to have a little extra cash so after the election after with these opportunities pop up when the conservative fiscally responsible people get into congress get into the senate get in the house and the United States lights up with glee, we can get involved with it. You might have a difference of opinion on that, though. The number here is 610-363-1110, 610-363-1110. I'd love to hear your opinion about cash and how to use it and how you use it.
Speaker 4: Don't be shy about calling in. Join us, 610-363-1110. Great to have you today, folks.
Speaker 5: 610-363-1110.
Speaker 2: Hey, real quickly, before we get back to this conversation on cash, let me just tell you about Samaritan Ministries, our sponsor for the day. Wonderful health-sharing group, Christian organization. If you are looking to get off the rat race of big healthcare, Samaritan Ministries is the place for you. Samaritanministries.org, great place to check out for you and your family, perhaps, for good health sharing. Sam, I know our chat is popping this morning, and we got some good comments in there.
Speaker 3: About this.
Speaker 7: They sure are. You know, Mark was talking in the last segment about how this isn't a fear based thing, storing up cash as an asset. It's just a strategy. And frankly, Mark, I think the people in the chat are way ahead of you. They're already doing this. George from North Carolina says, I'm glad to hear this, Mark. I have too much sitting on the sidelines right now, but I just don't see many stocks that suit my fancy. So he's right on target.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's hard to find good stocks when we've had an overvalued market now for quite a long time, even on the pullbacks. When you have stocks pulling back 10% and they're still way overvalued, there's an issue in the market.
Speaker 4: So we have to be careful, and this is where cash comes in.
Speaker 6: It allows us to earn a little bit while we're sitting there waiting for those opportunities of a financial issue steel-type product.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. Mark, here's a question for you.
Speaker 2: How do we avoid the temptation to be like the wicked, lazy servant from Matthew 25 who buried his master's money when it comes to cash accumulation? Because I could even see, okay, maybe there's a question here of, well, if I'm accumulating cash, you know, say before an election, am I being like the wicked, lazy servant? Or is there a way to do that wisely where we're not doing it out of greed or fear?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't believe Matthew 25 teaches that holding cash is wrong. I don't think that's what it's saying. The wicked servant, he had a problem, and it wasn't simply that the money was invested wasn't invested aggressively his problem was that fear this is a key that fear caused him to do nothing with what he was entrusted with so it.
Speaker 7: Wasn't momentary fear it consumed his whole mindset yeah you know it's not like he made a a momentary mistake it's his whole life was fear.
Speaker 6: Right there can be really legitimate reasons for holding cash strategic reasons cash can can reduce risk, it can preserve capital, it can do many different things. But just putting stuff into cash because you don't want to have to make a decision because you're afraid to make a decision, that's just being unwilling to work or refusing to put God's resources to a productive end. I really think that a faithful steward asks, why am I holding it? And what's the purpose of of holding it in cash so that that's a big different thing I really think we need to look at stewards don't manage from fear they manage from purpose big difference you know fear is the definition of fear is lack of trust in God that is my definition of fear when we have fear if our God is a God of the Bible, the one that says that, that he will care for us, that.
Speaker 4: He will protect us.
Speaker 6: He'll give us everything we need to overcome the trials and the tribulations in our life or, or to endure them. You know, then we have to believe that if we don't, then we have fear in our life and we don't move.
Speaker 4: A good steward doesn't move for fear.
Speaker 6: And I also would like to say something that probably a lot of people don't want to hear.
Speaker 4: Um, Patience, being patient in the market isn't laziness. I mean, it can be.
Speaker 6: People can be lazy in their portfolio. But in general, good patience means you're waiting for the right time and the right product before you just jump in. People who knee-jerk react in the market are usually ones who lose the most.
Speaker 4: Money in the market.
Speaker 6: So, you know, the bottom line is faithfully use what the master has entrusted to you. The danger isn't cash sitting still for a little bit. The danger is a steward who stopped stewarding what was entrusted to him.
Speaker 7: The danger is you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the danger is you.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 6: 610-363-1110.
Speaker 2: Last question here, Mark. A couple of folks in our chat are wondering, not the last question of the show, by the way, folks.
Speaker 4: But the last question of this conversation.
Speaker 2: A couple of folks, Mark, are wondering, are money market funds, which we were talking about cash, cash equivalents, are they FDIC insured, Mark?
Speaker 6: If they're through most money market funds are FDIC insured, even some of them at the brokerages, because the brokerages will use banks for their money market accounts. So, yeah, they can be both SPIC and FDIC. SPIC is the insurance you get at your brokerage to protect against fraud and collapse and things like that. FDIC is what you get at your bank to protect you.
Speaker 4: Awesome.
Speaker 3: Great stuff. Thank you, Mark.
Speaker 2: Folks, give us a call at the number 610-363-1110. Mark, here's a good question switching topics. So Marshall is 62 years old. He's saying, I'm debt-free. I got an emergency fund plus savings. My wife and I have extra money to invest.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, Marshall. Great job.
Speaker 2: He says, can you explain, Mark, why ETFs and mutual funds are more hands-off than a regular investment account? Because of my schedule, my time's limited, and I'm leaning toward... more of the fund asset allocation. And if I adopt that, what's the difference between buying the funds, say, through a Timothy plan or buying them directly through Fidelity?
Speaker 3: So there's a couple layers to that there, Mark.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, Marshall, I think you're thinking the right way. The first distinction I'd like to make is that an ETF or mutual fund isn't really an alternative to an investment account. They are a product. They're a different type of product than an individual stock. It's an investment that you hold inside your account, okay? So, ATF, a stock, a bond, different types of products, a mutual fund, different types of product. What makes it more hands-off is that owning individual stocks is that you're buying a When you buy an individual stock, generally you have to do the research or you get the information from some place like Financial Issues who does the research for you. But you still have to decide, is this something that I agree with? Is this something that I trust? Is this something I'm comfortable with? When you go to an ETF or a mutual fund, oftentimes they're either index ETFs. There's a lot of index ETFs, which means they're not really managed. They just follow an index like the S & P 500 or the Dow, something like that.
Speaker 4: Or they are managed. And a lot of them, I.
Speaker 6: Would say the majority of mutual funds out there are managed by either a single person or a group of people. who take all the money people put into this mutual fund, and then they take it and they go buy many, many different stocks, bonds, or different assets, depending on the prospectus of that mutual fund or that ETF. So effectively, it helps you not have to dig in and do all the work. You just find the mutual fund that fits what you're trying to do. Now, Timothy Plan is a company that creates these kind of products, ETFs and mutual funds, for those people who don't want to have to manage them pick the individual stocks themselves.
Speaker 4: And they do it in a way that makes it simple.
Speaker 6: So you can buy Timothy plan ETFs or mutual funds through a brokerage account or direct at the fund, like you were talking about. And there's really no different there unless the, the brokerage account you're using charges you for the buy and sell of, of, of them, which the Timothy plan won't because the same internal expenses will be at both places. The, the brokerages are just a distributor of those products like they are individual stocks and whatnot. So Marshall, if you don't have the time to be doing it all, then you could even, Timothy Plant even makes some mutual funds to make it real easy. And they're called asset allocation type mutual funds. They have one that's made for conservative investors and they have one that's made for more growth investors, a little more aggressive. And in that they include All the different asset classes, all the different sectors of the economy, and they're buying all these stocks and investments within them and managing those for you.
Speaker 4: So with one purchase, you could have a fund that does it all for you.
Speaker 6: You. And you can do that at your brokerage. You could do it at your online brokerage. You could do it direct at Timothy plan. And effectively when you do it there, you're actually going through a brokerage there too, because the Timothy plan, the, the Timothy plan can't sell you directly, but they, they all mutual fund companies that I know of start a brokerage that they can then utilize to help you get into their funds.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Marshall, for you and for anyone who's wondering, you know, maybe you're thinking, I might want to reach out to the Timothy plan. I'd give them a call at their shareholder services number. Mark, that number is 1-800-662-0201. You can tell them that Mark Manilla sent you also for sure.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. And if you didn't remember that number, it's 1-800-TIM-PLAN.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 7: Easier.
Speaker 5: Easier.
Speaker 3: That's why he's here. That's great. Thanks for that, Mark. No, it's really good.
Speaker 2: You know, Mark, I have often wondered as well, and I'm someone, I don't mind telling our listeners this. I actually, I have, you know, a 403B through the ministry that is in mutual funds.
Speaker 3: That's kind of more, a little bit, as you can call it, hands-off.
Speaker 2: And then I've got my regular investments in my Roth IRA following the, you know, growth model.
Speaker 3: And that one's a little more hands-on. But I like your.
Speaker 2: Explanation there, Mark, of even if you have the ETF or the mutual fund, and that's kind of the way that you're going, it's not like you're just setting it and forgetting it.
Speaker 3: You're still a steward over that. But it's managed a little differently, I guess.
Speaker 4: Well, absolutely.
Speaker 6: And depending on the type of ETF or mutual fund you use. For example, Timothy Plain has small cap ETF. They have a large mid cap ETF. They have a growth free cash flow.
Speaker 1: All these are a.
Speaker 4: Little bit different, and they're made not to be used in and of themselves, they can be, but to be combined with other ones to build out your asset allocation, depending on where you're at in life, your sleep factor, all the regular things that we've talked about in the past.
Speaker 6: Then they also have fund to funds that I talked about. that are totally managed for you if you're a conservative investor or a growth investor, that.
Speaker 4: Kind of thing. So you need to know what you own always.
Speaker 6: And then if time changes or the managers changes and you don't like the direction they're going, you can always move to a different fund or expand the funds that you're holding.
Speaker 3: Great stuff. Marshall, it's a great question, brother. Appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Mark, real quickly here, before we say goodbye to our half-hour crew, the markets yesterday rose.
Speaker 3: It was a miracle. They actually rose.
Speaker 2: Wall Street saw its first winning day of the week. Wednesday's closing bell saw the Dow and the S & P each up. about a half percent or so. Same with the NASDAQ, actually. The Russell 2000 small caps was the big winner. Mark, I remember someone said that maybe small caps might be a good move.
Speaker 3: I can't remember who it was. Oh, wait, it was you. You said that.
Speaker 7: And look at that.
Speaker 3: Look at what we're seeing. It's amazing. How funny.
Speaker 7: We call them the man, the myth, the mark for a reason.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: You know, they've been out of favor for so long.
Speaker 6: It really blew me away because most of my life in the investment community, small caps, and historically, if you go back and do, Historic references on small company stocks. Historically, over time, they outperform mid and large cap funds. Well, for the last 10 years, they didn't do that, which is really bizarre. So now they're coming back in favor. And just remember, every large cap started as a small cap.
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly right.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 2: Pre-market's looking fine this morning as well. I'm seeing green in the major indices, at least. Oil's green, too, so we don't like that as much. You can't win them all, Mark, I guess.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 6: Hey, if you've got to leave us, sorry to see you go, but you could go to financialissues.org and join us for the full show. We'd love to see you there. That way you could join in the chat as well. And you could look at the different tools that are available to all the partners if you're not a partner. And you could join and become a partner there.
Speaker 7: 610-363-1110. 610-363-1110.
Speaker 2: Folks, a reminder for you, tomorrow, Friday, always a fun day at the ministry, we've got the Focus Friday, where we focus entirely on your questions.
Speaker 3: We've got overtime. That's right, we're focused and locked in.
Speaker 2: Overtime, extra half hour on financialissues.org and the FISM app and our social streams exclusively. We also have Bible study early in the morning. If you want to get up early with me, we'll be looking at the book of Jonah. Actually, we're closing our Jonah series tomorrow, looking at it through the lens of the story of the prodigal son. I'm really excited for that. I hope you'll join us tomorrow morning for Bible study.
Speaker 7: We just pamper them on Fridays. We do because it's all about them.
Speaker 4: They deserve to be pampered.
Speaker 6: Think about all the people in the chat and all the people that join us every day.
Speaker 4: They come in and make this show exciting. They deserve to be pampered.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm not complaining. I'm just pointing it out.
Speaker 3: You're not wrong, Sam.
Speaker 2: Speaking of our chat, guys, Justin with a great question here from Texas. He's saying, do small caps do good in bear markets?
Speaker 4: What do you think, Mark? Well, you know, I think that's an excellent question.
Speaker 6: In fact, I let him know in the chat that I just love Justin's questions. You know, here's something that's going to surprise you. The small caps, maybe not if.
Speaker 4: You've been studying the markets for any time, but small caps are much more volatile in the shorter, even sometimes in the midterm than large and mid caps. Historically. But in the long term, they're even more stable than bonds. Let me explain. With a small cap, if you look at.
Speaker 6: Every 10-year period, except for the last one, If you look at every 10-year period, going back to when they, beginning of the markets, when they started tracking these kind of things, if you look at any one-year period, you could see a deviation of positive, let's say positive, I'm making these numbers up because I don't have them in front of me, but they're going to be very.
Speaker 4: Close, positive 30% to negative 30% for small caps, where.
Speaker 6: Large caps, mid caps, and bonds wouldn't have as wide of a deviation in their volatility, okay? So you look at that and you say, wow, these are high risk. You could drop by up to 30% or more, but on average, you know that you're.
Speaker 4: Looking at it.
Speaker 6: But if you go out to 10-year period, there's no 10-year period, except for the last 10 years, and I'm not sure about the last 10 years.
Speaker 4: I got to update my numbers, but there's no 10-year period where you could have lost money in small caps. In fact, the.
Speaker 6: Lowest performing 10-year period was better than the best performing bond period, 10-year bond period. So effectively, time changes the dynamics of the way you're looking at things. That's one of the reasons why we look at the longer-term concept of investing, not because we're going to hold something forever, but because what happens in the longer term, you're on a roller coaster ride all through that, but historically what happens is the peaks really outweigh the valleys with the small caps over longer term than they do with bonds or real estate or mid caps or large caps.
Speaker 3: Makes a lot of sense, Mark. Justin, that's a good question.
Speaker 2: You know, Mark, Justin's question sort of came out of a little bit of a conversation that was going on in the chat about fear. And I thought it was really fascinating because some of the folks were bringing up the fact, and they weren't disagreeing with you by any stretch, but they were saying, you know, there is also maybe we can call it a healthy fear of.
Speaker 3: You know, seeing danger and running from it.
Speaker 2: That's actually in, you know, scripture that, you know, a prudent man sees danger and runs from it.
Speaker 3: But Mark, that's not the fear you're talking about, right?
Speaker 7: There's a reason the wise man builds his house on the rock, you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: It seems to me, Mark, like the point that you made in the chat of fear, I can't even remember exactly what it was, but you had said it perfectly, Mark.
Speaker 7: Fear is good.
Speaker 6: Letting it make your decisions is bad. We don't react from fear. Fear can be a reality. It can be a giant polar bear. in the woods coming at you and you can't see it and it's making noise. Or as Sam said, it could just be a rabbit hopping around.
Speaker 4: If you let your fear make your decision, then you run away no matter what and you go hungry because you had a rabbit you could have eaten instead of being eaten by the bear.
Speaker 7: And it's almost always a rabbit or it's a bear I just made up in my mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. And that's the thing. That's why we have to turn to God. That is so important to stewardship. We need to be focused on the Lord.
Speaker 6: I know a lot of people out there are saying, Mark, you say that so much, but it doesn't mean much to me.
Speaker 4: Well, here's what it means.
Speaker 6: If you're afraid, if you have fear, oftentimes the best thing to do is to turn and face the fear, and what you find out, it's just.
Speaker 4: Like a big shadow.
Speaker 6: If any of you remember the cartoon, Pinky and the Brain, at the beginning of that, there's this giant monster shadow on the Empire State Building, and it goes the size of the Empire State Building, and it looks very scary and everything, and then the camera of the cartoon moves back, and it turns out to be a mouse, you know, a rabbit holding a flashlight on a mouse, that's causing the shadow to go up.
Speaker 4: Don't let your fears drive you. Let your trust in the Lord drive you. Don't be foolish. If something is dangerous, you move away from it. You see what's coming. Don't let fear make that decision for you, though. Let the data in the markets, let the data, let the the information make the decisions for you in your faith and the wisdom from above.
Speaker 6: Don't let fear drive your decisions. Don't let greed, the same thing with greed. Greed is just fear, but in the opposite direction is fear of missing out.
Speaker 3: There it is. Well said, Mark. Really good stuff. Mark, here's a question from Pete.
Speaker 2: And by the way, folks, you can chime in 610-363-1110. Pete's saying there's a stock out there, Mark, GLW stock. He thinks it'd be good for AI and other reasons, but it screens dirty for abortion due to fetal stem cell research. Now, Pete said, I can't find in my research any indication online that they're currently using stem cells, fetal or adult, although their products are used in many labs. evaluator only refers to a post-2001 embryonic stem cell research, and I'd like to ask whether they are using stem cell research, but how do I know if they are?
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I'm going to make it easy for you. I did the research for you.
Speaker 7: Mark, that's why he's asking the question.
Speaker 6: I did the research for you, and Pete, I think your concern is legitimate, and we always want to be data-driven as I just, we don't want to be fear-driven. We also don't want to be legalistic and say, you know, Corning, at one time in your life, you said this, therefore you get to stand in the corner the.
Speaker 4: Rest of your life. That's not the way we are here.
Speaker 6: We want to know what this company's doing is why as well, and why as well. But I want to make something really that I think is important. I can't substantiate that Corning is currently using human fetal stem cells. What I can substantiate is that Corning is actively promoting stem cell research and developing and market products specifically designed to support it.
Speaker 4: They have a whole line of product specifically.
Speaker 6: Now these aren't products that like, Oh, well that's a pair of scissors or a, a scalpel or a lighting system that can be used in any lab or any hospital. No, these are products that are designed specifically to help stem cell research product lines. So That alone tells me they're involved in stem cell. They may not be utilizing the stem cells directly, but what they are doing is creating the products and the services that these companies need who are to be able to do their research.
Speaker 4: So it's not like some other....
Speaker 6: Medical supply company that makes gauze and it's used gauze is used somehow in the stem cell research lab these are products and services developed specifically for stem cell that then brings me to the bottom line with unless uh corning um that this is an active business emphasis not simply an old research connecting 20 years ago so i i absolutely want to stay away from them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Mark.
Speaker 3: That's good stuff.
Speaker 2: Another interesting question about a specific stock, Mark, that we may or may not want to stay away from.
Speaker 3: Gordon is 73 years old.
Speaker 2: He said, I was looking for Angel Studios on the buy list and nothing came up, and I was wondering why that is.
Speaker 3: Why is that, Mark?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, Gordon, thanks for that. You know, we have a lot of great things that Christians do. We have great Christian artists in the film arts and in the music arena, but way too often they get led astray. This didn't happen so far as I know with Angel. They're still biblically responsible.
Speaker 7: They are clean.
Speaker 4: They are clean. Yeah, yeah. But that's not the reason they're not on our list. Remember, we do two things here, two absolutely necessary things to be on our buy list.
Speaker 6: One, you have to be honoring God with you do, or at the very least, not dishonoring God by embracing or creating products or services that that go against biblical principles of love, of God's love.
Speaker 4: That's the first.
Speaker 6: It has to be BRI responsible. It has to be biblically responsible. The second is it has to be a good investment. And that's where Angel Studios begins failing us. Angel Studios lost money, approximately $ 23.
Speaker 4: Million in the second quarter this year.
Speaker 6: The six-month loss was approximately $ 37 million. At June 30th, the company had approximately $ 48 million in cash.
Speaker 4: But $ 74 million of notes payable. So total liabilities.
Speaker 6: Are exceeding their assets. They're leaving shareholders' equity at approximately negative $ 29 million. So I don't think that I'm comfortable investing in a company that is not ran well and they're seeing the losses and they haven't been able to overcome them, especially in an industry that has such high margins and has such.
Speaker 4: Ability to produce cash.
Speaker 6: So at this point, though I respect a lot of what they're doing and their movies have gotten better, they're not profitable yet. We want both for it to be on the financial issues buy list. It has to have the financial issues deal, the ability to produce that money in the future and be BRI responsible. So I hope that answers your question on that. That's why we don't buy that stock.
Speaker 4: Not because of what the company stands for. We're proud of that. 610-363-1110.
Speaker 6: You've got 15 minutes to get that calling. Jim will be with you when we come back from this break.
Speaker 4: I remember my life before I met Jesus. I was most of the time afraid.
Speaker 6: I remember one of my teachers gave the classroom an introduction.
Speaker 7: 610-363-1110.
Speaker 3: That's the number to call in. Mark, why don't we go to the phones and talk to Jim? Jim's calling from Florida.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's do that. Jim, welcome to Financial Issues. Glad you're joining us today. What's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Well, good morning to you all. I watch the program daily, so when I called in, they didn't say anybody was in the queue, so I didn't want to take up anybody's time, but I noticed watching the program I do, they have a little ticker tape that goes across the bottom of it. And one of the things they listed was, that's it. He even thinks, and this is a quotation off of the screen, that the debt is really scary. Well, we talked before how between Obama, Trump, and Biden, over those 16 years, They added $ 28 trillion to the debt. Well, I noticed in the first year of Trump's new administration, we added $ 2 trillion to the debt. Now, I don't know if people know how much a trillion dollars is, but to spend a trillion dollars, you have to spend over $ 30, 000 every second of every minute of every hour of every day for a whole year. So we added two more trillion. That's why it jumped up to 40 trillion dollars. Yeah. So that means we were spending over 60,000 dollars of every minute, of every hour, of every day of money we didn't have. And that's how we added it all up. And now we've got 40 trillion dollars.
Speaker 4: Isn't that scary?
Speaker 6: And you know what I love about Besson is that he actually is speaking the truth.
Speaker 4: He must watch the show, Jim.
Speaker 6: That's all I can figure out is because we've been preaching about this for so long. This could be the death of America is our debt. It could be what destroys our economy. It could be what destroys the world economy if we don't get this debt under control. But Jim, think about this. I like old Westerns. I know this is going to sound really strange and outside of everything. but I love old Westerns. I just enjoy watching them for some reason. And one of the things you'll see in every Western movie is a stagecoach that the horses go crazy.
Speaker 4: And they're running down the road.
Speaker 6: And, and, you know, there's some lady in the back of the stagecoach screaming and the hero comes riding alongside and jumps on the wagon and starts pulling on the reins and starts trying to stop it, but it can't stop immediately.
Speaker 4: It just can't. There's momentum there.
Speaker 6: The horses would fall over themselves and everybody would be killed.
Speaker 4: So it slows down over the next quarter mile or half mile.
Speaker 6: The Trump administration inherited one of the worst situations I can ever think about, where we saw trillions of dollars pumped into our economy and made out of nowhere, which caused the inflation, where we saw debt go through the ceiling like never before. Well, that debt spending, they have been pulling on the reins gently to slow down the wagon as much as they could by going after the fraud and waste. They have been building an economy so our GDP grows. When the GDP grows, then that causes more tax revenues to help.
Speaker 4: Offset the spending that's going on in Congress. He has been.
Speaker 6: Berating— this administration has been yelling at the Senate and the House to get their act together on this and have been putting forth different budgets. Now, granted, he did increase different budgets, but we're at a war at the same time. So he had all this perfect storm stuff coming down on top of him while they're trying— to put this into effect.
Speaker 4: Yet, you know, if you look at the first year of the Trump administration here, they actually did reduce the deficit spending.
Speaker 6: They actually did do that. But with the war and everything else, it's come back roaring. So here's my thought, Jim, and maybe I'm wrong here. but, I have hope in this administration because I have hope in God. And they're saying the right things and they're doing the right things. Oftentimes, if you try to just change everything overnight, it causes economic distress to the point of major economic catastrophes. They're putting everything in place so that it can go in the right direction. Now, will that happen before the end of the year?
Speaker 4: I don't know. We're seeing a lot of the factories come online.
Speaker 6: Didn't I just hear that one of the major tech firm's opened a new factory, opened it, and it's up and running already in Texas. We're seeing all these factories come back from overseas. We're onshoring a lot of stuff. Our economy is incredible. And And Dustin agrees with that, too. It's our debt that's a problem. I believe they're looking at that. I believe all aspects of this administration is looking at that and doing everything they can to correct it without taking us off the rails, without slamming on the brakes and causing the train to just derail totally.
Speaker 4: I think they're going to be doing it.
Speaker 6: And my guess is before the end of this year, we're going to see some impact of that.
Speaker 4: I may be wrong, but that's what I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jim, let me just jump in for a second and tell you, I think you would really benefit from reading Mark's article.
Speaker 3: And you make great points, by the way, brother.
Speaker 2: But Mark just penned an opinion piece in Town Hall called Debt, the New Altar of America. And he gives great depth into this stuff. You can find that, Jim, on our Financial Issues newsroom.
Speaker 3: If you go there, it's the top article there. It's called Debt, the New Altar of America. I just wanted to throw that in there to you, brother. But sorry, Jim.
Speaker 5: Go ahead.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 5: Well, I might check that out. When I went to college, I went to a business school. I went to a major business school. The major I had to take essentially required you to take a minor in economics. So I had more than just a passing knowledge of economics.
Speaker 4: Well, that was wise of your college to make you do that. It's hard to do business if you don't understand economics.
Speaker 5: Well, my major was quantitative systems analysis. Okay. But anyway, I noticed we passed another continuing resolution. I think that's what the 29th, the 30th, who knows. And just one more thing back on the budget. If we were to pass a budget, a balanced budget, even if we balance a balanced budget, which would, of course, include the debt. So we've got $ 40 trillion in debt. At 2.5%, if you average that over the two, the five, the 10, the 30 years, you know, security.
Speaker 4: No, it's a couple trillion dollars.
Speaker 5: You would still be draining a trillion dollars out of that. That means a trillion dollars not going to buy planes, not to buy bridges, not to buy anything. So the trickle-down economics, or whatever you want to call it, we've got a long way to go, and... I just don't see it happening.
Speaker 6: Well, if it doesn't, then the alternative is worse, Jim. The alternative is we go into a major recession or a depression. The dollar loses its value around the world as a currency of trade. That causes us to be printing more, causing massive inflation. It could take us 10 years, 20 years to dig out of that if they don't get it under control.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I think one of our friends, Kevin Freeman, talks about this in his new book. I forget the name. What's the name of that new book?
Speaker 3: Pirate Money? Is that it?
Speaker 4: No, the new one, The Four Horsemen.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he talks about one of the horsemen, is actually the debt and that's got to get under control if it doesn't we we cannot do it and we can't just grow our way out of that debt i know uh that this administration says one of the that they're going to grow our way out of the debt by increasing the gdp that's only a relative strength thing well it's.
Speaker 4: Not only a relative strength thing but what.
Speaker 6: Happens is if you grow a domestic If you grow the economy, what happens is you have more revenues and that can go. Well, that doesn't stop the deficit spending. It just offsets it a little bit.
Speaker 4: And then you have debt a little less.
Speaker 6: If GDP grows and debt becomes less of a ratio to it, it feels better, but it's still there. We got a lot of things to do, but they're pulling as many lovers as possible. My hope is, and I'm not going to give them any slack.
Speaker 4: They got to get on it. They got to do this. They have to.
Speaker 6: I'm very upset and have been for years with our House of Representatives not doing their job. They're lazy and they're more interested in being reelected than they are governing our country and getting their balanced budget done. Before you can have a balanced budget, Jim, you have to have a budget. They don't have a budget. There are so many laws that could be passed. What if you pass the law that you can't spend any more than you took in last year? That alone would change things.
Speaker 5: That's what most states require.
Speaker 4: They require a balanced budget.
Speaker 5: But like I told you, even if we passed a balanced budget, in that budget would still be that trillion dollars to just pay the interest on the $ 40 trillion we already owe. Exactly.
Speaker 4: Right, right.
Speaker 6: And then there's $ 2 trillion of waste and fraud that's going on every year. If we got rid of that, those things, I mean, imagine the money this country would have to do great things with, wonderful things, help people, help other countries. grow the economies. I mean, it's just incredible. Jim, you're absolutely right. Thank you so much for your call. I really appreciate that. You know what I also appreciate is that we are stewards. That's what we're all about. You're a steward.
Speaker 4: I'm a steward.
Speaker 6: Everybody who participates with us, our partners are stewards. The goal of stewardship is to honor God in all we do with everything that is God's, and that's everything, including you and me, and everything is entrusted to us. Our citizenship is part of that. We need to elect the right people. We can call them spineless weasels in the house. We can make fun of them. We can get upset about it.
Speaker 4: We can go on rants.
Speaker 6: But if we're not doing our job of citizenship... by electing the right people, then it's our fault.
Speaker 4: It's your and my fault. Let's get the right people in.
Speaker 6: And those of you out there who have the ability to be a great House of Representatives rep or a senator that do have the faith, that do have the beliefs we have, it's time for you to stand up and let us elect you too.
Speaker 4: Got me on a rant at the end of the show, gentlemen. I can't believe they did that.
Speaker 6: Jim, well, I want to thank everybody for being with us.
Speaker 4: Thank you for loving the Lord so much.
Speaker 6: And it's because we love the Lord that we want this country to work right because it's his country. He's entrusted it to us. It's his stock market. He's entrusted it to us. Let's use it properly. Thank you for loving the Lord. Thank you for.
Speaker 4: Investing with biblical integrity.
Speaker 6: Look forward to seeing you tomorrow on Focus Friday in overtime.
Speaker 4: God bless, everyone.