Speaker 1: More importantly, justin Worsham.
Speaker 2: Who cares about all this real politics and acid blooms.
Speaker 3: Get out of his side note Curveball, Oh his father's they going to be weird for us. Do you consider father's they weird?
Speaker 4: Now? Yeah? Oh all three of us lost our dads. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I for me, I've chosen I could. I could tell subliminately because until you said that, I have purposely not like you know how like Freud says, there are no mistakes, right, I think I've purposely chose not to think about it dad.
Speaker 4: So that's yeah, but it's yeah, it's it is different.
Speaker 2: And to add to it, my dad at the cabin community he lived in, he they he found out that like forty some odd years ago, they used to do this fishing tournament on Father's Day weekend for kids, and he thought that was a cool idea, Like he found old photos of it from like forever ago, and so he was like, I want to bring this back. So he purposely got on the ho a board started the saying, my family would run it every year and they're naming it after him.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, are they doing it on father?
Speaker 4: Father? It's on Father's Day every year?
Speaker 2: And so On this Father's Day, I will be hosting a raffle that I used to co host with my dad, wearing a T shirt that says the Jesse Warship Fishing God, you are going to be.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be a mask. Can you imge?
Speaker 3: I've got to just ugly cr winner the Courtolet take a number two six zero one ninety three.
Speaker 4: That's two six zero one.
Speaker 1: Can I give you advice you didn't ask for?
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't know what's ever stopped you before.
Speaker 1: This is true, but at least I'm asking.
Speaker 4: I don't think that counts, but go for it.
Speaker 2: I mean, consider the time that you've given unsolicited advice in these segments to me, sometimes hurtful.
Speaker 4: I just don't think it. No, now I'm no, she did it. She did it, didn't me Gary, she did it. Now she's got me begging for it. Now she's good. She's got me begging for the.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say that to keep it together.
Speaker 3: Imagine your dad there, my looking like the green ghost at the end of Return of the Jedi when you've got.
Speaker 1: Zombi vers, but it's like he's still there, Like you wouldn't cry like that in front of your dad.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I would Lord, that's the advice and how it ends on the show's.
Speaker 3: There's a new survey that says a lot of kids believe that their dad is their top life mentor. Most for those who grew up with a dad, seventy percent said their dad was one of their greatest mentors in life.
Speaker 4: How could it not be?
Speaker 1: Well, and I say the same thing for moms as well, how could your parents not be a top life mentor. You're raised in the house, you think this is the way things are for some people have awful parents, but still mentor is not. I mean you're looking to your parent parents as an example of how to live.
Speaker 4: Good or bad.
Speaker 3: Well, there's I think maybe the difference would be top influence in your life versus mentor R mentor I meet somebody that you'd want to Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: They also what I hear mentor.
Speaker 2: Is is also a person who gives you that life advice, like they guide you. And to me, this is I can only speak from my perspective, is that I believe my dad's secret power was this, like he was the one of the the This is going to sound so dumb, and maybe I will cry and I'm sorry. But the most cliche, like the poetic thing he ever said to me was I was in Alabama and I was having a rough week doing stand up and I had called him to just kind of vent and he gave me this advice. He said, listen, I've seen you do shows where if one little thing like isn't to your liking or doesn't go the way you think it will go, he said, you kind of just you lose it, like you kind of start to fall apart. He said, just go up there and have fun, and that's all you need to do, and that's normal advice. And then he ended it with saying, there is great this in you don't get in its way.
Speaker 4: And I like Star Wars right Skywalker, And I'm kind of like, yeah, but let.
Speaker 1: Me ask you, I mean the very similar.
Speaker 3: They give some examples in this in this survey cup. One one person said the most brogue thing my father has ever done for me was during Hurricane Harvey, trudged through the waters to come and get me. Another one said, he stopped working, Dad, You never did any He stopped working and took care of me when I had a car.
Speaker 4: Ex Some of us are morning. Differently, My dad taught.
Speaker 1: Me about money and keeping it and being smart with it and if you don't know what you're doing, hire someone who knows what they're doing and save it and those and I think that that is one of the most invaluable lessons because everybody needs it. I mean, I love the Star Wars stuff, and it's true, and everyone has greatness, not everyone. You have your own brand of greatness. I don't want to take away from your greatness. I think you look to dad's for that kind of like structure. You know, you can even throw in like a military vibe to of routine and structure that that is important for anybody to live their life.
Speaker 3: Expectation throw that word in there too. Yeah, I think not that moms don't have expectations, but that it might be received differently from the father.
Speaker 2: The thing, the thing that I'm most proud of so far in being a father is that both my kids both made this kind of comment about I made the joke about whenever they want something, they always go to their mother, and they both said, well, it's because you're more likely to say no. And then my older son said, well, yeah, like you talked to mom about stuff, but if you need like real life advice, you go to dad. And then my younger son was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, and I almost cried right there, like I was like, to me, that was like mission accomplished that I feel for me, I feel like I've always tried to be the father that my father was to me, and to be that mentor to be somebody that because my dad knew stuff. My dad had no performance background whatsoever, but gave me so much life advice. When I told him I wanted to be a perform about money, he said, you're not going to know when your next paycheck is going to be, so your thing in life is going to be about minimizing your nut and keeping your expenses low so that you can be mobile and fluid. That's exactly what he told me when I was seventeen years old, and I said I wanted to be an actor like that, and he was right to and a thing that he had no clue about what he.
Speaker 1: Was talking about, And what great advice other that he gave you, because it's much easier to say, get a real job.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, which was also I think kind of what I would have expected from him.
Speaker 4: But he was not. He was not like that. He also said this.
Speaker 2: I interviewed him on the podcast one time, and I was like more of a stay at home dad, and I often thought that he kind of thought that that was silly or looked down on it. And when I talked to him about it, he said, he goes, No, honestly, I envy it, he goes, I grew up in a time where as a husband, you were expected to just go or make money, like that was your job.
Speaker 4: He goes. You live at a time, if you liked it or not, exactly that was what you did. He goes.
Speaker 2: You live in a time where you're as a couple you can decide what are your strengths, and as a couple, as a team, you could decide who's going to be the best person to do this job. He goes, I would have loved to just been home with the kids, like with you and even my stepbrother and.
Speaker 4: Stepsister, Like, how was that a shock to you? And it was very much a shock. It was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 4: It was a big time shock.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry if I'm making this all about me, but I think it's in the same vein of what we're talking about in this survey is that even my grandfather, who did not graduate high school, barely finished middle school, was born in the Great Depression, and we were I did this Father's Day episode of the podcast where I was my grandfather, my dad, and me all talking about our experiences as dad's and my grandfather who was just this like stereotypical redneck character from Bonanza, like even went to high school with ass from Bonanza.
Speaker 4: My grandfather Kelly, and so he you were so funny.
Speaker 2: So anyway, he said, he goes, I said, what do you think about parentsing today? And I just threw out just this lame question and my grandfather, again not educated anything. He goes, I don't know how people today can raise their kids. When I grew up, we were on a farm and I didn't know what my neighbors had or what they did. He goes, Every child is constantly hit with what somebody else has and constantly confronted with a life that they want that could be better than theirs. And he's like, I don't, like, he's breaking down media theory. Yeah, and he doesn't even have a high school diploma. Like, again, there's just this benefit that I think hopefully a lot of us and it seems like most of us get to have is these guys that are wise in our life beyond what you would expect them to be.
Speaker 4: And I don't know why that is. It's interesting part of.
Speaker 1: Its life experience. Sure you know.
Speaker 3: All right why parents are asking kids to help plan trips. This is an awful idea. Visit Anaheim commissioned to study then asked about letting kids help plan vacation.
Speaker 2: I like it when I could predict you, because I saw this and I was like, oh, this seems like fun. And then as soon as I thought that in my head, I'm like, I bet Gary's gonna hate this.
Speaker 1: Gary's house kids are lucky. They have air to breathe right before they are nineteen eighty four and every day that's great. I would have been the same freaking way I would have treated my house like it was a prison.
Speaker 2: I think I am pretty much the same way too. But I don't something about the vacation idea because and maybe it's because I'm in the teenage quagmire where my kids aren't jerks when we go on vacation. But I just thought, I imagine this is born from the idea that when you take a teenager and it's like, oh, I'm just sitting there and there on their phone. If you let them have a buy in or some kind of steak in it, then.
Speaker 1: Maybe see them like, this is your money, you're going who works for it? They're lucky that they get to tag along. Well, I will say this in terms of in terms of planning a vacation, wouldn't say, when you take us to the casino, I'm savvy enough.
Speaker 3: I'm savvy enough to know stay on the walkway that I'm going to plan where we go, right, but I'm going to do it in a way that I'm conscious of. There's got to be something for them to enjoy. For example, people who take kids to Vegas I think should be arrested and thrown in jail for multiple presentdential terms.
Speaker 1: Like she just said, this is I know my parents would take us to Tahoe and my dad is again I would like to gamble, and my brother and I we would just go to the arcade. You know, but yes, stay on the walk.
Speaker 2: That's how That's how popular it was to take kids to casinos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like at the gym. It didn't even occur to me as a child.
Speaker 1: That I would ever have any say and any sort of vacation, Like, that's so ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't take a kid also to Mexico, although I say that now I took an eighteen month old on a cruise there, which is a huge miss.
Speaker 4: Did he get a tattoo, No, but he got dysentery.
Speaker 1: Everyone.
Speaker 3: But if you go to a place, you got to have something for them to do, right, And even a cruise ship can be kind of a hit and miss thing because some of them have they all have it.
Speaker 2: It's but to support your point, a lot of them said things that they would like to do on their vacation to be like meet a celebrity.
Speaker 4: Which like, that's not what a vacation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like most of were like, and then higher percentages were like they wanted to go to an amusement park or the beach, you know what I mean. Like it seems like very stereotype. If my kid was to like my older son, if he was to pick whatever we were going to do, he would want to just basically do a restaurant tour of whatever city we were in. He would want to try if they had a Michelin Star restaurant, he would want to try it.
Speaker 4: That's insane. Yeah, he should get a job, more jobs. Well, no, that's this one doesn't have a job. He's a junior. He's a junior.
Speaker 3: So next year, two years from now, you're going to start talking about senior trip of some kind, right, I don't know if you do that.
Speaker 4: I don't do that. I do not plan on providing a senior trip. Is this a failure to for your kids? Some people do that.
Speaker 3: No, No, not like get that at home in the South Padre Island. I mean like as a as a family, you guys would go to a place of his choosing. Oh, like we take a vacation because he graduated high school, which I mean is not a giant. It's not like he got a promotion to the C suite or anything. To me, I feel like you did what you should have done like that. Yeah, I don't know, Maybe that makes me a jerk.
Speaker 1: But graduated extravagant college and my mom and dad, but I think it was served by my mom paid for a trip for me to go to Hawaii with a girlfriend. And I remember being flabbergasted by that, Like you're doing what like and that was graduating college? You know, twenty two years old, you.
Speaker 2: Were taken aback because it's like, Wow, you're.
Speaker 4: On the trip going, am I gonna come home?
Speaker 2: And they're gonna go, great, here's all your stuff in the garage.
Speaker 4: There's a U haul.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that happened too, but still, you know, it.
Speaker 3: Was really nice as they drive as she drives away, there just wife and there.
Speaker 1: I think it would be a fun exercise to ask your kids what they would do if they could plan their own vacation. That's a fun little dinner time exercise. But actually doing it, the thing that they're not tethered to is reality worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you gave them a ram of hope only so you could take it away from.
Speaker 4: Them children before you go quick. Truly a question.
Speaker 3: By the way, you said that your grandfather went to high school Dan Blocker, the guy who played Bonanza. Do you know how old he was when he died? Dan Blocker sixty two, probably forty three. Dan Blocker was forty three when he died in the early seventies. I just in hit my mind that guy was in his sixties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was on show when you said that. I thought, well, it had to be on the show.
Speaker 4: Hard forty three. Yeah, he lived a full life. He really did his thing. We dedicate today's show to Dan Blocker.
Speaker 1: What did he eat?
Speaker 4: Everything? Clearly butter and steak.
Speaker 3: And he was a four pack of day smoker, probably because everybody.
Speaker 1: Was yeah, the good old he lost.
Speaker 3: Weight justin don't smoke. Oh all right, I did quit and you made it past forty three.
Speaker 4: Congrats to me. I'm gonna go on a trip and I'm going to plan that sucker.
Speaker 3: Thank you as always, big humongous twelve block hours coming up, one Gary, whenever I leave