Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout Podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of November eighteenth, we are continuing with Lost Season one, episode twenty Do No Harm Annoyed, which one boy dies, one boy is born, that total of castaways stays the same. Up, oh boon.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was pretty pretty grim, and yet really was, and yet the flashback is all about Jack, Like, let's make it all about me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one more flashback on the way out, come on. Oh but hi, Julie Bowen. Hey, yeah, I remember you did not in between Ed and The Modern Family, I believe.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I didn't realize she was gonna be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we saw her on that, We saw her in the opening credits, and Rick was like, Julie Bowen. Yeah, I didn't say he was Jack's wife. She was Jack's wife, but he did not remember, so I didn't spoil it. But it really looked there right until the end of his vows, like it was going to go south.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I even thought it still sounded like like they just kissed, and I was like, are they married or did he just break up with her even though they're kissing right now, Because it's hard. It really sounded like he.
Speaker 1: Just terry should be Should he be flirting around with Kate there on the island, I don't know. Should he be worried about getting back to his wife, I don't know. It's unclear.
Speaker 2: Does he wear a wedding ring? I haven't noticed.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose we could have many more flashbacks about their marriage and therefore it's not a concern. But yeah, that was you know, he doesn't like to go let go of things, but also not the most decisive dude, you know do or don't do? There is no well, I love you, and therefore Lesnion getting right. Yeah, but her At the same time, her declarations of love sounded oh, very much like doctor, you saved me here, let me marry you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I was a guy listening to that, I might feel like not sure about this. And and then also, oh, Jack, do not take relationship advice from your father?
Speaker 2: What are you thinking?
Speaker 1: Do not take any advice at all. The devil has come to sit with you. You got about your situation. The appropriate response is to run screaming, not share a bottle in a pool with him.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but those were somewhat rough flashbacks, but the whole, the whole current thing. Yeah, if somebody said to you you have to deliver her baby, would you be able to do that?
Speaker 2: And also why Kate, Like.
Speaker 1: God's gotta be Kate. She's She's next on the list. Okay, let's see, we got a crisis. Jack's busy, Kate.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're tagging.
Speaker 1: Would think Kate should have been with Jack and Son, should have been delivering the baby? Yeah, sons, she seems like a resourceful girl. I think she's got it.
Speaker 2: She's she's uh yeah, she seems very capable. And she could also.
Speaker 1: Order communicate with with Jin. Gin could be hey, you guy who doesn't speak English, go help with the child birthing. It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could. He could be her her nurse while she's being Jack.
Speaker 1: You weren't thinking clearly, your staffing clearly wasn't your strong suit there back at the hospital, h oh Man. But although I did enjoy Charlie and Jin sort of sitting back going yeah, I'm not going anywhere near but no, I think Charlie at one time started to get up and Gin went, no, not for us, don't do that. Do we go get some cigars? That's what friend, that's what men do.
Speaker 2: Go find that Walgreens that we talked about, some balloons and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Nice floral arrangement.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was nice at the end when after the baby's born and Claire's showing him off to all the castaways and like, oh, look at all these people we have.
Speaker 1: There was like a couple of guys we have never definitely looking very happy. How do we know they're not others ready to kidnap the baby?
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 1: Everybody should have an id badge at this point, don't you think, yep, I should have their papers on them at all times.
Speaker 2: Great hmm, yeah, son Son made a great nurse. I guess she seemed to be trained. I mean, she really knew.
Speaker 1: She did do. Do you have any evidence that she was trained?
Speaker 2: I don't know. All she did before was the a trophy daughter and then a trophy wife.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, maybe she found some books in the crowd play. Yeah, and she's been self teaching.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One thing that she is skilled out that probably even the nurses back at the hospital Jack worked out, we're not trained is telling Jack cut in right out, stop that no more stop. She was able to get through to him. Yeah, I guess Boone also said. You know, Boone also was coming back from the near dead to say, dude, stop cut it out.
Speaker 2: I don't want this.
Speaker 1: Don't cut it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Goodness, But Shannon didn't come back in time to say goodbye. Boy. That nothing puts a damper on a romantic night at the beach like coming back to find out that your brother is dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure. You know, Boone did he want her to be there? I don't know. He might have been just like, well he was like tell her, I said, I said, or you know, he said, tell her, and then he never said when it.
Speaker 1: Was Yeah, it sounded like he was going to say I love her, but maybe he was just going to say, I'm so happy to be rid of her. I have to die, so be it. But ah, in summer Holder, we hardly knew you. I feel like he's not going to be back in a flashback. Yeah, yeah, certainly a Shannon flashback maybe.
Speaker 2: But well, it does seem like no one's ever really gone on this show.
Speaker 1: Right, Well depends on whether they can stick around to Hawaii or they got to go back to the mainland.
Speaker 2: Right, I guess we won't. We haven't seen Tom Cruise's cousin anymore, No, we have not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Jack has quite a little surgical set up there. He's they're like courting all these things for various medicinal purposes. Yeah, a little cabinet or backpacker, I don't know what it was. He had all this surgery stuff in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put up a shower curtain.
Speaker 1: The whole logistics of doing this, I mean, it had been in the dark. Nobody can ever get hurt or give birth during the day. You're gonna amputate this guy's leg at night on a beach with minimal supplies. You're gonna do it with a cargo door from an airports boy, and you expect he's gonna survive this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is the same Jack who throttled Charlie back to life and who nearly throttled that other guy to death. It's like stop, Yeah, he is messed up. Everybody's a little mess except Son, Sun's son seems pretty on it right, and Kate Kate did a good job too. Son and Kate were score one for the females. And Claire you know, yeah, she.
Speaker 2: Was gonna hold that baby inside. She was determined until Kate talked her out of it. That would be impressive, girl.
Speaker 1: Baby belongs to all of them. We need a little inspiration right now. Boone is dying. We need to feel good about something happening.
Speaker 2: A baby, Yes, we definitely needed that, you know, hit on the head of symbolism of one goes and one arrives.
Speaker 1: That's right, oh, a little baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't show that, you know, messy after parts of giving birth, like how did she cut the core? Did she deliver the placenta. How did she know that she delivered all the placenta? Like, this is the kind of stuff that comes back to bite people on TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we'll see. Yeah, that's why you don't have amateur doing your childbirth. But you know, I guess there was a time when there were no professionals and people still have babies. So yeah, made a good made a good contrast between the two scenes.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: My husband's first question afterwards, when when they were bringing the baby out to the beach to show everybody, is where'd they got baby clothes?
Speaker 2: It's just wrapped in a towel.
Speaker 1: They went down to the island Walgreens and they picked up a nice lay it. But yeah, it just looks like it's towels or something. But yeah, still one of those doesn't look.
Speaker 2: In airplane blankets that's made out of questionable substance.
Speaker 1: Absolutely every scrap of everything. Did they just keep some aside for for Claire's future needs? I guess they have diapers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna have diapers. They're gonna have to have cloth.
Speaker 1: Was there a big shipment of Pampers in the back of the plane that they've been putting aside?
Speaker 2: Probably for the benefit of this show. There is just like all the shampoo and everything else.
Speaker 1: We were walking through the jungle and we found this crate and we opened the hatch, and turns out it's a diaper store. They also have all sorts of Gerber's products. It's good, We're fine, We're set. It was the baby hatch.
Speaker 2: The baby hatch. Yeah, Lock can make a cradle and everything else the plane provides.
Speaker 1: Well, if Lock can make a cradle and Lock can make glue, can Lock like make some diapers? What do they put in those things, those little beads they put in those things to absorb stuff? Oh? Yeah, probably he could whip up some of that, or just cut a big sheet of big clean sheet of something into a bunch of pieces.
Speaker 2: Or figure out how to use like leaves.
Speaker 1: Yes, well Sun should be able to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Sun will be delivering a big pile of natural diapers on a regular basis. I love it, capable woman.
Speaker 2: Yes, this I mean the flashbacks gave us He's getting he got married. I feel like that was about it. Like everything else in the flashbacks, we already knew about.
Speaker 1: Jack, right, Yeah, no, there was now no new revelations. Other than that he might be married. But it seemed to be there for the purpose of saying he doesn't give up or he never doesn't know when to let go, right, I guess was the thing which we knew already. Yeah, see previously previous comments about him pumbling. He could not do that with Boone sadly, although he's always gonna think if I had got his legal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they have crutches and bandages and physical therapy on the island.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well, assuming he doesn't die for a massive bleeding out when his legs are moving and because catastrophic infections because he's got this huge open wound. But you know there's no prosthetics. No, they'll come across a crate in the jungle little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, that's another thing Locke will have to do to you know, atone for his sins.
Speaker 1: Where was that wheelchair? Yes, it was here somewhere. Oh, lock, lock lock. He's in big trouble now. Yes, Jack is coming for him. Why didn't you tell me a plane fell on him? Do you even explain there was this plane?
Speaker 2: Well, and I don't know how much would it have mattered.
Speaker 1: Like, well, I guess it's a difference between a break and a crushing.
Speaker 2: Right, But I mean, couldn't he sort of see I don't know one would think like one would think. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, theoretically Jack is thinking that if he had known, he could have treated him better. But I think that because he has trouble letting go.
Speaker 2: Have you heard? Yeah, yeah, that is magical thinking from Jack if you ask.
Speaker 1: Me, yeah, well you know, I guess pretty much all he's got, right, yes, especially because everybody turns to him and says, save us please, right, so a little better pressure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he was doing the dad thing of I will fix.
Speaker 1: It, yes, and absolutely was.
Speaker 2: Son was doing the mom thing of I will fix everything better and also tell you when to knock it off.
Speaker 1: Yes. Unfortunately he listened to her, well, he listened to Boonebe even more. But yeah, now that she's allowed to speak English, she's a very interesting character. She seems to keep popping up doing things very effectual. Yeah, construction of the raft continues, Yeah, on a pace. They got to get it done by the end of the season. Come on, come on, guys, season finale, Cliffhanger, we got to get that raft going, Come on the top, chop.
Speaker 2: I don't know, this feels very gilling in z Island, like we're always coming up with something and it's never actually going to do anything.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we'll see, we'll see. We're watching it with captions on, and I was noticing at one point the music in this thing, which is like another character, is by Michael Jcino Chino or Jakino, I'm not sure, but became very famously by him. And I was noticing in the captions when some music played they mentioned his name such and such by or Michael Giacchino music here or something.
Speaker 2: That nobody else gets that treatment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know it was. It really did get, especially by the end, to be appreciated as you know, department of creating suspense and putting a bullet on things and just you know, yeah, very effective music. And I always enjoyed it. I had listened to for a while. I like listening to instrumental music when I work, and there's a CD of his songs from the show, his music from the show, and if we call them songs, if they're wereless does music from Lost and it doesn't fun to stress you out, like it was very fun. Just every now and then there's a or they just like it. Goes from a major key to a minor key and you're like, uh, something happened here, but a lot of it is just lovely. So check that out on Apple Music if you can get to it. Okay, get you in the moo. So next week we saw ever closer to the end of the season with episode twenty one of Lost the Greater Good. Now, who is that a flashback of Lost? Apedia help us out. I would say it sounds like a Jack episode, but just have it. I cannot cannot be that is Sayid ah. And I know this because we accidentally as what happens when you're watching stuff on Netflix. I was pretty sure that Jack saying Boone didn't die, he was murdered and he stalks off into the jungle to find Low, and I thought that was the end of the episode. And then there was a scene with Shannon with Boone's body and Sayid looking on, and I thought, is this the end of the episode, And then there was a Sayid flashback, and I thought, oh, wait a minute, Rick, we accidentally went on to the next episode. Netflix could at least throw up a yo new episode up here we go. Pay attention, don't get spoiled. So yes, that is a say eed episode we were skipping over. Apparently there was a recap episode that was released called Lost the Journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not on Netflix.
Speaker 1: So it's not on Netflix. But we're just to have watched them all in one big lump. We probably don't need a recap, yeah, as opposed to have we watched them over the course of the year. Right, So we have four more episodes, two of which are a part one Part two. So okay, getting close to the end of that first season. Yeah, okay, the end of the first season, you get to decide are you done with this or are you having trouble letting go? Okay, it off like a crushed linking if you wanna, Am I.
Speaker 2: Going to have someone wise advising.
Speaker 1: Me some good stuff ahead? Anyway, we'll see you back here tomorrow to discuss shrinking. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram, or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat and please visit our Amazon shop at amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.