Speaker 1: You're listening to Everything Out There with your host, Steve Stockton.
Speaker 2: Hello, friends. And hello again, everybody. Steve Stockton here with you. Everything Out There. Joining me tonight on the phone, my friend, Eric Freeman Sims. You might know him from the Unseen Paranormal podcast. or from one of his new YouTube channels, strange chapters. And he told me what the other one was, and I've already forgot about it, but we'll bring him on here and let him tell us what's going on, what he's up to. Eric, come on in. Thanks for being here tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: And then what was that third channel that you mentioned or the new channel that you mentioned?
Speaker 1: So we're, I'm starting a new channel with my buddy, Austin Lawrence. Um, we're doing a new channel called strangely haunted, and we're going to do investigations, but in a way that people have never seen them before. So it's going to be without the drama. It's going to be real investigating, no faking, no drama, um, a lot of history thrown in there as well. Um, so we promise it'll be entertaining without all the drama. Uh, we're not going to have all the stupid gadgets and all that stuff. We'll have interesting experiments that we're going to do like scientifically and stuff, but, um, not the flashy lights necessarily that you see on TV that they just use to keep your attention. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's good. I mean, I'd, I'd rather see the real deal than something that's, uh, infotainment, if you will, it's been embellished or more or less kind of made up. And I, you know, I'm not going to call out anybody in particular, but there's some shows that do that, that, you know, as I've been on some hunts myself where absolutely nothing happened and nobody's going to sit there and watch that for an hour. So I get it. It makes for good TV, but I'd rather see the real deal. So it sounds like you're definitely on the right track there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I don't want to take any way, anything away from any of the YouTube channels either. But my only thing is just be honest. If you're going to be more entertainment than you are like the real deal, then just be honest about that and don't come out and try to defend yourself and say, we're real paranormal investigators when you're not, you know, that's just my big thing. Just be transparent about it. But yeah, we're going to try to do it in a way that, like I said, is entertaining, but yet it's like fishing, you know? So, you know, we'll take the opportunity to educate people on equipment and things that we're doing and things like that. And, kind of from a history education standpoint with the paranormal throne in there a bit.
Speaker 2: Well, that's cool. And I, uh, last episode I had a Cisco Murdoch on, I'm thinking, you know who she is.
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah.
Speaker 2: I love her show before. Haven't you? I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I actually go to hang out with her in Gettysburg last summer.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah, that's right. I forgot all about that. She keeps trying to get me up there to Gettysburg and, uh, in a video I've got coming up, I'm talking about a ghostly figure that they see there in Gettysburg, the ghostly Sentinel that stands watch there. On Cemetery Ridge. But yeah, that's one of her big things. She goes every year or has for the last several. And one day we'll make it up there. But I'm closer now than I used to be now. I was in New Mexico. Now I'm in New England. But a lot of stuff in this area. But yeah, I got to get down to Gettysburg. That whole area just. But anyway, she was talking about she calls herself a paranormalist. Now, I'd never heard that word. I thought she coined it. But she attributes Harry Price, a guy from England that was a paranormalist. That's what he called himself that investigated all this stuff years and years and years ago. And she kind of detailed, you know, how you go about that and what that means to be that sort of person. But without knowing her definition of it, do you consider yourself a paranormalist or are you just a paranormal investigator?
Speaker 1: I would say I'm a paranormalist because I love diving into the research and the history and the whole all of it surrounding the paranormal. So not just the investigation part, but also the history of trying to understand why a place is haunted, what type of haunting is there, and going down the rabbit holes of actually doing the research. And to me, I think that's what a paranormalist is, is encompassing all aspects of the paranormal and being open-minded enough to at least investigate whether you believe in some of the parts of it. I don't believe in all of it, but I'm open-minded enough to want to go experience it and have people educate me or do the research to find out, well, why do people believe in this? You know, certain aspects. I'm not big on like the occult, but I try to go and educate myself to know that part of the paranormal. So yeah, I think it's about diving into the, the entire package of the paranormal instead of just going and investigating.
Speaker 2: And your take on that almost a hundred percent concurs with what she was saying that you got to do the research you dig in, not what, what, going on there, but why what's going on is going on there. And she's a side of people like Amy Allen that will go into a place and do, I think her husband does the research and the history on the thing before she even goes in. So I do think that's important to help understand why there is activity, if there is indeed activity in these places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think there are some investigators out there that don't want to know because they feel like they're biased if they know the story is going in. But my motto, and I don't remember who said this, but somebody smarter than me said this, that we don't go investigating to investigate a haunting. We go into investigate stories of a haunting, because if you go and investigate a haunting, you already have that preconceived notion that the place is haunted. And you, I mean, you know, people have different motives. People could be making things up. You never know. And so that's why we go into investigate stories of a haunting, because until I have an experience there or capture some sort of evidence, then I can't tell you places has any activity or not. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that makes sense. If you don't know, the history or the backstory, then it could be anything.
Speaker 1: Right, right. And there are a lot of things out there that people just don't think about when they approach the paranormal and things happening because there's a lot of emotion wrapped around that because a lot of times, you know, it's maybe with family members and things like that have passed on. But, you know, you can have different things in your house that can cause things that you would think is a haunting when it's not. It could be, you know, plumbing or electrical issues or, you know, a lot of people get photo anomalies and they just don't, you know they want to jump to something's paranormal when it's not when it's it's completely explainable uh with uh lens flares and back scattering and uh back scattering is when you get like it looks like there's a thousand orbs in the picture right um photographers call that back scattering and it's just a reflection of either water vapor or dust or something you know some kind of particles in the atmosphere but um but understanding all of that and having i think it's healthy to have A skeptical mind going in as well so that you can separate what is really paranormal and what is not. And I would never discredit anybody's experiences because I wasn't there. And so I can't tell you you didn't have this experience. I can tell you, well, maybe it was this. Let's look at it from a scientific standpoint. You know, maybe you did have an experience with grandma. I don't know. But maybe it wasn't, you know, at the same time. So I also call myself a skeptical believer sometimes. going in because like I said, we're going to, you have to have some sort of skeptical mind to separate. So you don't bias yourself into thinking that everything is paranormal. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I agree on that. And like in my book, strange things in the woods, there's some things that they are strange, but they're not paranormal. They were explained, but everything is not something paranormal necessarily, but then a lot of things are, and what you were saying there about people trying to tell you what you didn't experience. That's always bothered me. I was there. I know what I saw. I know what I felt. I know what I heard. I know what I smelled. And I've likened it to putting your hand on a hot stove and burning yourself. And then somebody saying, nah, you didn't get burnt. That's not hot.
Speaker 1: Right. Okay.
Speaker 2: Tell that to the blisters on my fingers.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah. And I get some kind of pushback from people sometimes because I am, I do have a skeptical mind also, but also when people understand I'm an empath, I've been haunted my whole life. I've had experiences my whole life. You know, so but also I'm very analytical minded. So I have to go into an investigation. I think that that's to me, that's what an investigation is, for one, because I want the any kind of evidence that I capture to be held up to scrutiny. You know what I'm saying? So if I'm going to take a picture or video or an audio clip and put it out there for people to listen to. And I'm saying, you know, this is not normal. I don't know what it is. I can't tell you for sure. It's a spirit, but it's definitely paranormal. You know, this voice wasn't there on the audio. You know, we got this answer. Then I want when people have questions, then I want to say, well, we try to debunk it this way. We try to explain it this way and we can find the explanation for it. And I think that helps the evidence hold up a lot more than just throwing it out there without doing any kind of critical thinking on what else it could be, especially when it comes to photographs and video nowadays, because it's so easy to fake that stuff with editing programs. And I'm very well versed.
Speaker 2: In editing stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. With the AI as well. I've seen so many pictures here lately of AI Bigfoot. that people were trying to pass off as, as being real. And luckily people were still, you know, looking at it and saying, that's just a, come on, you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I remember years and years ago when CGI was really getting into the hands of the consumer, a lot of people were using that to try to fake evidence. It was obvious to me even then, but there were people that fell for it. And I think there's always going to be people that want to believe so bad that there is a certain amount of gullibility in there. That's just, As somebody once said, I can't remember who it was, but we want to believe in supernatural things because we want to believe there's something bigger out there in the universe than we are. And I agree with that. And I do like the scientific method for looking at things, although a lot of these things don't fit in to the realm of the scientific. Now, it's a quote from a fictional character, Sherlock Holmes. But he said, how often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains? however improbable, must be the truth. And that's Sir Arthur Conan Doyle writing as Sherlock Holmes. But still, I think there's a nugget of truth in there that if you use the scientific method and you can explain it away, then it must be supernatural. My father was a scientist out at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and he would talk about things that they had under controlled laboratory conditions that happened that weren't supposed to happen, that they couldn't get to happen again, totally anomalous occurrences under controlled conditions like that. And his take on it was there's just some things that science can't explain. So I think that's true with anything in any type of a study and especially in the paranormal and supernatural.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I agree totally. Um, and with being an empath my whole life, I can't explain that. I can just tell you what I experienced, you know, with dealing with other people's energy and things like that and feeling that there's no way I can quantify that. And there's no way to explain it away sometimes, you know, as, as being something that's just normal. Cause it's not, it's not normal to go around taking on other people's emotions sometimes, you know, and being like, no, that's not my end.
Speaker 2: And have been since childhood. Yeah. I walk into a room and if there's people fighting or arguing in there, I pick up on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's the good and the bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But again, it's not something that we choose. I think it chooses us if, if there is a choice in there anywhere. But, uh, I started experiencing things from a very young age, like three or four years old. And I'm betting you did too. A lot of people that, that three to four, that seems to be the age that the paranormal and supernatural things like that, uh, being an empath or whatever. I think it starts revealing itself to you when your mind is still forming in the very early years there so that you get kind of used to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I was very lucky to grow up in a family that my mom, my grandmother who raised me, I call her my mom, was very much an empath herself. So I wasn't taught out of it. If anything, it was just kind of it wasn't necessarily talked about either. Because I think part of my family that has the same abilities, I think it scares them. So they don't want to talk about it. My mom, on the other hand, would talk about it. But the rest of my family are just like, you know, that thing that we do. They kind of brush it off like that. But I'm the only one that's like outright like putting a label on it or trying to figure out. I don't know. I call myself an empath. I don't know. There's many different abilities there that I've. had over the years but yeah as long as i can remember and i had this insane connection with my mom telepathically that i would come home from school excited about something and she would already know what it was without being able to know what it was you know and that was long before cell phones and stuff so the school hasn't called her i haven't called her you know to tell her what i was excited about or whatever a play or you know whatever i was doing at school and so me and her just always had that connection and now it's crazy uh me and my husband together almost 19 years and me and him have that connection where we, um, finish these other sentences, but not just because we know each other, we'll be riding down the road, not talk for 20 minutes. And then I will say something just out of the blue. That's just a random topic or he will. And he's in me and we're both looking at each other. Like I was just thinking the same thing, you know, and it'd just be something completely random that we ain't talked about in a month. I never talked about.
Speaker 2: My wife and I do that all the time. We've got that soul connection like that, that, Something, like you said, just seemingly out of the blue, random will pop into my head and I'll say something about it. She's like, I was just thinking about that. And I do the same thing. So it goes both ways. And that's just amazing to have that kind of connection with someone. And then you talked about that connection you had with your grandmother that you call your mom. My grandmother, my maternal grandmother, she and I shared that, but it only seemed to work one direction. She would know what I was doing or thinking, but I didn't have a clue in June. what she had in her bonnet. But she probably realized that I could do that and locked it off of me. But there's a story that I've told many times where there was a spot on the highway on the way to her house, an old farmhouse there, kind of set up on a little hill. And years prior, before I was ever born, some kids were playing ball out there. And one of them chased the ball out into the road and was struck and killed by an automobile. And, uh, I would feel that spot. Like when we went by there, you know, I get those goosebumps, those kind of tingly feeling. And, um, one night we were on the way to her house. I was laying in the back seat, reading a comic book. This was years before seatbelts. And I felt that little weird tingle. And I just raised up enough that I could see out the window. Sure enough, we're passing by that old white farmhouse. I didn't say a word to anybody. Never had, even though I'd felt that every time I drove by there, rode by there. But, um, Went back to my comic book. We got there. We're going in. My mom and dad, I think we're carrying groceries in or something. They're getting ready for some kind of holiday meal. And they were helping her get stuff together. And she took me off into her quilting room, which she lived in this big old Victorian farmhouse. And the quilting room had once been a formal dining room, but they ate at a table in the kitchen. And she turned that. big dining room into her quilting room. And in the wintertime, she'd sit in there and piece quilts together. And that, that was her bottom. You weren't allowed in the quilting room, but unless she took you in there and she would take me in there. As far as I know, I was the only grandchild that got to go into that inner sanctum, but she took me in there, which, which she would do often and, uh, tell me some bit of folklore or superstition or how to, uh, change bad luck or how to draw good luck. She told fortunes and red coffee grounds and tea leaves and health seances and stuff. But that particular night, she was saying something about, and I was scared of her when I was a small child. She looked like a Hansel and Gretel style witch. She kind of humped over and had arthritis in her hands. So she could be quite frightening. She took me back there and she was saying something about feelings. And she said, you feel things. And I said, well, yeah, I've got feelings that you can hurt or if you pinch me, I'll feel it. She said, no. I'm talking about you feel things like that spot on the highway on the way here. And my jaw hit the floor area. I'd never said anything about that to anybody. And we were miles away from where she lived. But she knew that I had experienced something on the way there. Now, according to her, she was present at my birth. My mom was knocked out. That was back when they still gave ladies a twilight sleep when they were in delivery. My grams was present at my birth. And she said that I was born with a veil over my face or in call, the call, the afterbirth was stretched over my head and it had to be cut away. And she kept it. I don't know what she did with it. I hope she didn't make soup or something out of it. But according to her, that marked me as a special child with abilities. And I still, you know, like you said, I don't know that I've got any specific abilities or anything, but I do know about things sometimes in advance and I do have empathy that the whole empath thing. But according to her, that marked me as a special child. And she took me under her wing to teach me all this out of all the grandkids. And there was a bunch. She had 10 kids, nine boys and my mother. I couldn't get away with anything. My mom knew all the boy tricks, having nine brothers. I was the only grandchild that had that condition. So again, she wanted to teach me all this stuff. Then the rest of my cousins and things didn't have any interest in it anyway. So kind of her legacy, but it's, it's, it's frightening, especially when you're a little kid and you can feel things and know things and then think that your grandma can read your mind. I'm like, you know, I gotta be careful what I think because granny might hear that.
Speaker 1: Right. Right. Yeah. When I was, uh, I kind of felt that way, especially as a teenager, um, which I, I mean, I've never been arrested. I've never been in trouble. I was not a, never been a troublemaker, uh, at all. Uh, not even in school. Like I got good grades and all that stuff. But, uh, but even if I went and did something wrong, like I felt guilty, because I was afraid that my mom would just know, you know, because we have that connection. So, yeah, I understand what you're saying there, but it, you know, the same.
Speaker 2: I was always, you know, I was the good kid. I've never been arrested, never even been suspected of anything. I was kind of sneaky about my mischief.
Speaker 1: I was too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the same, you know, even as a teenager, I'd be like, you know, I'd, I'd have that playboy magazine under the bed. You know, does my grandma know that's in there? I better go put that in the trash. Right. And, um, I mean, she never said anything about anything like that, but it, It was kind of a Jiminy Cricket almost, you know, that little conscience that sat on your shoulder. Maybe you shouldn't be looking at that, you know, that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bless her for that, though, because I think that kept me out of a lot of trouble that I could have gotten into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was kind of sneaky. I mean, I've done some things I probably should have went to jail for, but it wasn't anything crazy. You know, when you're a teenager, you do stupid stuff like vandalize places and things like that. But my biggest thing was sneaking into places and trespassing to ghost hunts. That's probably my biggest thing when I was a teenager that I probably could have went to jail for. But and that's how I got my start investigating when I was a teenager.
Speaker 2: I was the same way, an old house, an old barn, a mill, something that was abandoned. And just, you know, those places are full of stories and probably full of ghosts. And I've done the same thing. In fact, one of my encounters that I wrote about in my strange world. I'd gone back to my elementary school, a friend and I did, and we broke in. It was still a functioning school at the time. It's not now. We found a window that was unlocked and went in and then had some sort of paranormal experience there with a sounded like high heels crossing the gym floor, but we could see there wasn't anybody in there, but yeah there was a teacher that uh she didn't die in the school but she had died i think in a car accident according to the playground legend and everybody said her ghost haunted that school but there was somebody in there walking around in high heels that wasn't visible so we we got the heck out of there but again yeah that's that was.
Speaker 1: My kind of mischief yeah yeah me as well and um The place we snuck into was an actual historic place that was open for tours. But we would go in there, you know, 2, 3 o'clock in the morning. There was nobody there. And we never went in the house. It was always locked up. We never even sat on the front porch. But we were on this big property. It's an old plantation house. We'd walk around the property and experience things. And I even saw what I think was the lady of the house pull the curtains back and poke her head in the window. You know, if it would have been a real person, they would have called the police on us because we were trespassing. But yeah, sneaking into places like that and even abandoned places, going to cemeteries in the middle of the night where you probably shouldn't have been, especially growing up in the Bible Belt. That's definitely frowned upon. Yeah, you took the words out of my mouth.
Speaker 2: That was frowned upon when I was a kid, but that was one of my favorite places to go. There was a cemetery up the road where people had seen and heard all kinds of things. There was an old building there that was abandoned at that time, but it had been everything from a school to a Masonic lodge to I don't know what all, and never did go in. But we would hear stuff in there. And one kid put an old reel-to-reel recorder in there, a portable one, and he got some noises and things like that. This is back, you know, early 70s. So it had had a reputation. But, yeah, there was a caretaker that lived down the hill, so we'd always park up the road and walk through the field to go in the back way. But if they caught you in there, the caretaker would at least run you off, if not call the Knox County Sheriff's Department to get you out of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the other thing about my family is I grew up hearing ghost stories that they had happened to them. And my grandma, I was their 10th kid to raise. So they had nine kids. And they had lived in this house when they first moved to the Nashville area. My family's up from Indiana. And when they first moved down here, they lived in this haunted house. And it was an older lady spirit who would come and tuck them in at night. And they had so many kids that, you know, like three of the girls would sleep in the same bed together. And, um, I've heard plenty of stories of this older lady who would come sit at the edge of the bed and she would, uh, pull the covers up on them and tuck them in on like cold nights. And, uh, and many experiences like that. And then one of my aunts, uh, who's passed away a few years ago, she had to be some kind of like green witch without knowing it because the lady, she could take a dead plant and bring it back to life. And, uh, she would not wear shoes unless she absolutely had to. I don't care what time of year it was. She wanted to be in contact with the ground barefoot. And there could not be a cloud in the sky. It could be a blue sunny day. And if she told you it was going to rain, you better go roll your windows up. Um, because she was just that in tune with nature and those types of things. And just an amazing lady to pick her brain, but she just loved nature and had to be in contact with it all the time and always had all these house plants around and, you know, just a green, the greenest thumb I've ever seen. And so even though my family never wanted to label, you know, what the thing we can do, um, they never had any problems talking about it. And I think a lot of people get taught out of things like that because when their kids are just told, Oh, that's your imagination. Or, you know, if they have an imaginary friend that maybe not is so imaginary, they get told, Oh, that's just your imaginary friend, you know, and maybe because the parents don't believe in the paranormal or any of that, or they're maybe scared of it, you know, or they don't know how to explain it to their kids. So they just teach them out of it. But I think the empath stuff, I think a lot of that people, I think we're inherently born with that. Most people are. And like I said, they're just taught to ignore it and not listen to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe it's educated out of us to a degree. And then also a lot of our diet and the things we put in our bodies can have to do with that. Like, you know, there was a big push when I was a kid, fluoride. That was going to save everybody's teeth. So it was in the toothpaste, it was in the water. Well, they found out that it calcifies the pineal gland, which is the seat of the third eye. where a lot of those type powers, if you believe in that side of things, that's where it comes from. So if you've calcified that and it's coded over, then no, you're not going to experience things. So is that some kind of conspiracy to keep everybody dumb and sheep with their heads in the sand ostrich like? I'll get there in a minute. But I don't know. And yeah, it was nice having her side of the family because but they regularly held seances and they did a table tapping or table tipping.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My granny considered herself, she called herself a gypsy witch, but I don't know where the gypsy part came in because she was born in the Cades Cove area, the Smokies. But I'm thinking somewhere back in there, there was some old country that they were from.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like I said, that it was just fun for them. That was their normal. They didn't think about it being weird or that, Other families didn't do it. You know, they grew up isolated out in a rural lot of farm. They had a dairy farm and they also a truck farm. They raised produce and tobacco and also some livestock, pigs and things like that. But, you know, they didn't, it wasn't something that you talked about at school or so much, but it was an open secret. And my dad talked about when he and my mom first got married in the forties, one of the first times, uh, He went to visit her folks. They were having a seance. And he sat in and watched that and then watched the table tipping. And he said that they sounded like a bunch of heathens, he said, hollering and going on. But he said, you know, I was already, I had my degrees and stuff from University of Tennessee. So he said, I'm looking around, I'm checking the angles. Nobody had the toe of their boot under the table leg or nobody had a ruler up their sleeve or any of the tricks that I've seen. like in magic books and things like table magic to create those illusions. He said there was nothing like that at all. And he talked about they would put stuff up on the table. One time they put a couple of the grandkids up there and they were still rise, table rise. And he said that old wooden farm table was doing everything. He said it was creaking and groaning and trying its best to raise up off the ground with all that added weight on there. But there's something to all that. And I don't know if it's a manifestation of some sort of, psychokinetic abilities or if it's truly something supernatural, just file that one in the, the, I don't know file.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, I was skeptical of table tipping and that type of stuff and I'd seen it done, but I'd never participated until last summer in Gettysburg. And of course you hang out with Cisco Murdoch, you're going to do spooky things, which is awesome. I'm not complaining.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: And, and I got to take part in a table tipping with her and a few other people. And it was one of the most amazing paranormal experiences I ever had. And it's hard to explain, but you could just feel the energy and to have a bunch of people who were empathic. And there was even a medium sitting with us. And it was, it was incredible. One of the biggest things that just, for one, nobody's moving this table. Like you could just tell, I mean, you can look at people, the people's fingers on there. You can tell they're not pressing the table down and things like that. But also the, there was kind of some negative energy that came in that we all felt. And the lady that was the medium that was sitting there, she did something I've never seen before. And, but you could feel it. And she said, okay, I'll take care of this energy. She swirled her hand around the table with her eyes closed. And then she pulled the energy off the table and you could just, I'm getting goosebumps talking about it. Actually, you could just feel that energy go.
Speaker 2: Give me goosebumps listening to it. I've never seen anything like that either, but that, yeah, Sounds incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And to just be also because with being an empath for so many years, I didn't talk to about any, I didn't talk about it to anybody. And so the past four or five years, especially with the podcast, I just become way more honest with it. This is who I am. You can think I'm weird, crazy, whatever, but this is who I am. And I have these experiences all the time. And so to be in a circle of people who were completely nonjudgmental and then asking me what I felt about, from the spirit and, and saying out loud and then having everybody agree, Oh, that's what we feel too, you know, was incredible. But to have that medium do that and to feel that, that negative energy pressure just go away when she did, that was incredible. And it was just incredible experience, the whole table tipping thing. And then there was another thing that we Cisco wanted to cleanse us all. And I believe in, in saging and things like that. And I have a native American ancestry and, And so we, um, we actually went and ate breakfast and Cisco doesn't waste anything. She'll take it and feed it to the birds and animals. Right. So she had these pancakes and stuff that she took. And, uh, I think to the detriment of her son, cause I think he wanted to eat the pancakes, but she took it from tone. But, uh, anyway, uh, she went out back in the parking lot of the hotel that we were at. And, uh, they have all these medians with these trees, with these maple trees and, This is in the middle of summer, and it's in July, and there's kind of a drought going on. And so some of the trees were looking brown and not so healthy. But she let the birds guide her to the strongest tree because she said that tree would take all the negative energy from us, and that tree would be strong enough. Well, what what we didn't notice until after we were done with the whole thing and they're about i think there are six or seven of us that were standing barefoot around this tree and getting cleansed by cisco and and when we got done we went back up to the hotel there's kind of a back patio area that's kind of raised off the ground about 20 feet and we're standing up there and my husband roger who's a landscaper pointed out to Cisco, he said, look out here and look at all these trees. What's different about the one that we went to? And it took her a minute and she said, it's the greenest one. And he said, you picked the healthiest tree in this parking lot. And she's like, oh no, it wasn't me. It was the birds. And the birds, when they took the food from her on the ground, they flew into this particular tree and it ended up being the greenest, healthiest tree during this drought. All the rest of them were kind of looking brown and you know, sad. And I thought that was an amazing experience as well.
Speaker 2: And animals have tuition, intuition and things about that. I mean, they have to, that's how they survive, but you've got, you know, homing pigeons, you've got a migrating fowl and things that follow the same migration path generation after generation. You've got bats that use sonar. And I think there's animals have a lot of intuition and some people, And you believe that animals can sense spirits and disturbances in the supernatural. What's your take on that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it has a lot to do with their perception of the world is different than ours. Because animals are still in contact with nature and their instinctual side. To where I think us humans have gotten away from that a lot. And so for like a dog or a cat, you know, for the most part, they're listening to their instincts for things they do throughout their daily lives. They're not necessarily, yeah, we train them and they're domesticated. And I also think that they've proven that a lot of animals see in a different spectrum than we do. So if you believe that, you know, spirits can show up in an infrared spectrum or something like that, there are a lot of animals that can see in full spectrum. So UV, infrared, all that. So they may be seeing things.
Speaker 2: They can see in the dark. They're already ahead of me. So there you go. And that makes sense. And I believe a lot of these creatures, uh, and, and entities, if you will, uh, do either vibrate at a higher or lower frequency. And again, if you look at that light spectrum, there's just a little bit in the middle there that's visible to us. And then you've got everything on the other ends. And, uh, Who's to say? Maybe those create Bigfoot or cryptids and things like that. Maybe they know how to manipulate that, that that's part of their genetic makeup that they can cause themselves to vibrate at a higher or lower frequency and will. And that's sort of a natural cloaking thing. I'm open to anything at this point. I don't discount anything. I stopped looking for the answers a long, long time ago. Now I'm just looking for the next set of questions. There are no answers. And if we had the answers... my journey wouldn't have been half as interesting as it has been.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And talking about frequencies, I mean, if you look at it scientifically, everything's on a frequency. So, I mean, all your different, everything's a radio wave, you know, lights on a wave, everything is on a vibration frequency or wave. And even down to the atomic level, that makes up everything that you touch and everything that's physical is Those atoms are constantly moving and vibrating. You have electrons constantly moving and vibrating. And so everything's on a vibration and on a wave.
Speaker 2: The Schumann resonance, the very vibration of the earth is a certain frequency. And everything vibrates for every living thing anyway. And I think a lot of inanimate stuff does too, rocks and things. I mean, look at quartz, for example. You can take quartz and make a radio out of it. I did that when I was in Cub Scouts. We took a chunk of quartz and some copper wire and I think like an oatmeal box and some little earphone from back in the day. And, you know, you put it together, right? You can move that. I think it was a thumbtack over a razor blade or something. It was very rudimentary. But you could pick up radio signals using that quartz. And again, a lot of watches have a quartz movement in them. So there's something to all that. And then that gets into stone tape theory. as far as hauntings and things like that, the ones that seem to just repeat. I think it's like a tape loop. When you think about tape, like an audio tape or a video tape, that's just a piece of mylar with ions on there, with iron oxide, I think it is. It's some sort of ferrous oxide, which is iron, I believe. But again, what's to say that something in nature, under the right weather and other conditions, can't capture that? And then also under similar conditions, play it back in a way that we can see it or hear it or experience it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And like you're saying, that's just, it's just magnetically recorded onto that tape. And so, you know, when you put it in a VCR, it's just reading that different magnetic frequencies to make the sound and the, and the picture. And so, yeah, I'm with you. Why couldn't that, I mean, we're surrounded by magnetic energy all the time. I mean, everywhere on earth, there's slightly different magnetic fields everywhere. And in radio waves and all that, that's all the same there. It's electromagnetic field. Radio waves are all the same. It's they're just different frequencies of the same wavelengths. And so, um, yeah, I completely agree that it can be recorded in the environment. Like you were saying with quartz movements and watches and things. And we know that, that crystals like that can hold energy and release it. And so, yeah, if the conditions are just right and you've got a lot of quartz or any other kind of crystals in the, in the ground, or like running water, even as a thing with people think that, uh, the ionization of the running water under the ground, uh, because it also changes the magnetic field of that area with the running water that, uh, that is very conducive to stone tape theory as well. And then a lot of older houses are built on, uh, granite foundations and things like that, that have a lot of courts in them. And so, um, just with the, you know, that maybe the vibrations and the resonance through the wood of that house over the years, uh, you get that recording on those crystals and that energy records and then it just replays. So it might be something as simple as grandpa came in the back door every day after work and went up the stairs to change. And so he did that for 40 years, you know? So then when he's gone, maybe when the conditions are right, that sound replays or maybe even the image of him doing it replays, but it's not anything intelligent that, you know, it's going to do it whether you're there or not like a movie. Right.
Speaker 2: And I saw a study in some kind of paranormal magazine. I can't remember where it might have been 14 times. But it talked about the construction of the old railroad beds, the way that they used the crushed gravel, then the ties and the rails and everything. It had a breakdown of the layers, what goes in there. And this person was pontificating that that could be what produces the phantom trains that people see where they see the train or they hear the train when there is no train. Sometimes the rails are gone, but that rail bed is still there and crushed granite was a component of a lot of it. So there you go. Is that stone type, uh, type thing? I think it could be. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Um, one of the things that you're talking about, um, building a radio, I saw this video not so long ago that they were showing how powerful AM radio antennas are and, um, why you should never like hop a fence into a radio antenna, uh, And the supports, the big metal steel cable supports that come down into the ground, they have to, when they get the technicians going there to work on something, they have to ground themselves to it. And all the guy did was he took and put the grounding cable that he was going to, it's like a clip that he was going to attach to it. And a spark of electricity jumped from that wire to that grounding cable. And when it did, you could hear the radio station through the air. Wow. How crazy is that?
Speaker 2: Well, that's where you hear about people that have had dental work done, particularly with fillings and things like that, where they can stand in a certain area of their house, turn their head a certain way and hear the radio in their teeth. I've heard of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And this was just from, and you could see a big spark of electricity jumping. And it was just from that vibration of that spark in the air, moving the air molecules that caused you to hear the radio voice clear. And so people, and you know, and I say that because people want to, well, how do ghosts, How do spirits make sound without vocal cords, right? They don't have a physical body. Well, it's just air movement. All our vocal cords do is change the air passing through and make a certain sound. It's just like whistling.
Speaker 2: And that's the way we hear. Yeah. The air passing over the eardrum makes those different frequencies and vibrations. So that makes a lot of sense. And then these days we're bombarded with so many radio frequencies, you know, with the advent of 5G and the cell towers and all that. I think it's a detrimental effect to some degree. Because I notice, and I try to say this delicately, but people aren't getting any smarter, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Yeah, and there has to be some sort of effect, like you're saying, with all these. Because we're in Bombardier with so many radio waves. And people have to understand that radio waves, when they come out of those towers, like for a cell phone and stuff, they don't come out in like a linear straight line. They go out in 360 degree direction and your, your cell phone is a giant antenna that just happens to capture that signal. And it's the same thing with your car antenna, you know, radio station is putting out this huge bubble of 360 degree radio waves and.
Speaker 2: And an AM station, I think they're mandated by the FCC. They can broadcast at a maximum, I believe it's 50,000 watts. That's a lot of energy that's being just put out into the air. And those radio waves, the propagation of them, I've studied some of that where they bounce off the ionosphere and things. That's how even at night when those stations have to turn down. I could listen to WOR in New York when I was a kid in East Tennessee. It was a cloudy night.
Speaker 1: That's just amazing.
Speaker 2: And supposedly those signals just go on out into the unknown. And there's been cases where somehow they've bounced back. I remember reading, I think it was in a Frank Edwards book where a station that had been off the air for years and years in Texas, people were picking up the signals from that TV station, like in Kansas or somewhere like that, that didn't even exist anymore. Wow. How's that possible? Well, there you go. Those waves, Like when you throw a rock in the lake or whatever, you see that ripple effect. Well, that goes on. It gets smaller and smaller, maybe where you can't see it or detect it. But, you know, it goes out, it hits something, it bounces back, goes all different directions. And I'd never thought about it, but I've got a new YouTube channel called From Beyond where we're talking about UFOs and things for the most part. From Beyond can be anything, but our first episode, we talked about the Betty and Barney Hill abduction. But Lee G, my co-host over there, talked about that that might be a reason why people that have experienced the so-called men in black, why those people dress out of date and drive old fashioned cars and things. They've been picking up those signals from years ago and think that's how we still are here. So they wear suits and hats and drive old fashioned cars. And then when they get here, they're, you know, 20, 30 years out of style, they're like, What happened? We thought this was how people talked and dressed and acted. I had never, ever considered that, but that would kind of make sense if, if you believe in stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an interesting theory for sure. Another, another theory that I've heard that I found very interesting and makes a lot of sense to me is from Mike Rick sucker. And he's a big shadow people researcher. And from a very early age, he had experiences with shadow people and he actually got touched by one, one time when he was a kid. And, uh, it's one of the only people I've ever heard that said they got touched by, got grabbed, grabbed his arm. But, um, so he's dove into research over the years or shadow people, uh, shadow figures, hat man, things like that. And his theory that he came up with is that shadow people are the same thing as we call spirits or ghost. It's just you, if you're vibrating on a certain frequency yourself, you see those entities as shadow figures and not as like full body apparitions. And so if you take 10 people and put them in a room and you have something manifest, a spirit manifest in front of you, all 10 people are going to have a different experience and a different description. Some of those people may see like a mist. Some people might see an actual, you know, in living color, full body person. Some people may see a shadow figure. Some people may see a glowing orb. But his theory is that it depends on what frequency we're vibrating on, how we experience the paranormal. And I found that pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cisco and I were talking about that and we likened it to the parable of the blind men and the elephant. One guy says, you know, what's got a trunk? And the guy on the other side says, no, it's flat on the side.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the back says it's got a long tail. You know, so again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Same people experienced the same thing, but perceived it in different ways, whether, you know, their ability or just what they were perceiving there. And it's neither right or wrong. Everybody experienced the same thing, but it affected them differently based on their senses and their knowledge of such.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And then going to like the men in black or even like black eyed kids, you know, only a small percentage of people ever experienced those phenomenons. and maybe it's because of their frequency or their openness or, you know what I'm saying? Like that's why not everybody has experiences with men in black or black eye kids or some of the other phenomena. Like I may go through my entire life. I could be out in the woods every day, or even all these hunters can be out in the woods and you only have one or two that ever experienced dog men or Sasquatch out of thousands and thousands of people. And so I think there could be something about that frequency, um, And maybe you're vibrating on a frequency where they can see you too. I think that's interesting with spirits as well.
Speaker 2: I like to quote Nietzsche who said, when you appear into the abyss, the abyss also appears into you. And I believe that with the paranormal. And I think somebody's asked me, why did you choose all these things to talk about and write about and stuff? I'm like, who's to say it was a choice? I think it chose me. Like every house I've ever lived in was haunted to some degree. And I only came to the realization a few years ago that it's not the houses, it's me that's haunted. Because I could go to a place I lived in, Las Vegas, very, very active haunted house. But a roommate that I shared that with, they'd been there for years, never heard or seen or felt anything. And then as soon as I got there, literally all hell broke loose. It's something about me being there and able to perceive it. And Cisco describes that as part of being empathic. That it's like a candle in the darkness that these things see you and think, oh, this person can notice us or hear us or see us. So let's go talk to them or manifest. And getting back to the energy and electricity thing. And you've probably had this happen in some of your investigations. Whatever these things are, the active ones, not the residual hauntings, but the active hauntings, they have to have that energy to do what they do, whether it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Or manifest or whatever, hence batteries. I've had batteries fully charged that never gave me a problem anywhere else going to a place that has activity, and those batteries are just flatlined in no time, and I think it's whatever's in there, it needs that energy to put on its show, whatever it's going to do. Has that happened in your experience as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually, not too long ago, I was at Brushy Mountain. uh, state, uh, state penitentiary in Petros, Tennessee. And we have that happen. And I actually watched a camera battery that I just put in the camera that I knew was full and it showed full. It jumped down to half for about five minutes. And then it jumped down like it was going to die, but then it jumped back up to like three quarters. And I'm like, I've never seen it jump back up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, that, that is anomalous. It's not supposed to do that, but it did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Um, and we got at that same time, um, I was actually got some anomalous pictures and we got some EVPs during that same, same time that that was happening. And it was, we had battery issues all night and there's other places I can go that we don't have any battery issues. Um, because I guess they're drawing energy from somewhere else or I don't know. Uh, one of the experiments that I like to do, um, whenever I do public ghost hunts, uh, throughout the year, we do something called a round table EVP session. And what we do is I'll have, uh, As the investigator, I might have 10 people in my group. Depends on how many people, you know, buy tickets to the public ghost hunt. But we'll sit around a recorder in the middle of us and we'll decide on one question to ask. And we all ask the same question. So I tell everybody, okay, I'm going to start. I'm going to ask the question first. I'm going to give it 20 seconds for them to answer. And then I'm going to point to the next person. They're going to ask the same question and then 20 seconds and so on. And so we'll go around the room. And I find that it's weird because the spirits, if you're going to get an answer to the question, will usually only answer one person out of the entire group. And I think that is from the vibration because maybe that person is on the same vibration as them. And maybe the spirit can only hear that one person. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that makes sense. I never thought about that, but it does. And that's why. some people don't get an answer and some people do, and you're asking the same question. That's a fascinating technique there. Did you come up with that?
Speaker 1: I did not. That is something that I was taught by a paranormal group. Two of them used to work at Waverly Hills as paranormal tour guides and as investigators at Waverly Hills. And that was something that they used to do all the time. And I thought it fit perfectly into the scientific method somewhat because Um, but also, I also thought maybe it's not even the frequency thing. Sometimes maybe it is because a cultural beliefs of the time of the spirit, or if it's like a little kid, you know, I'm kind of a big dominate personality guy, masculine guy. Maybe the kid feels intimidated by me, but we'll talk to a female, you know, maybe they, they find one of the females in the group that reminds them of their mom or something. And so they'll, respond to them. And, you know, back in the 1800s, it was a little different, the interaction between men and women. The culture was different. And so a woman spirit from then may not respond to me because I'm not their husband or I'm a stranger, but they may respond to another female. So I've thought about kind of all these different aspects of That makes sense.
Speaker 2: From the societal norms at that time. Women wouldn't speak to a strange man, wouldn't think of it. That was just unheard of.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And also, I think that's why it's important to know the history of a place as well. Because if you go into some of these historical houses, men and the husbands and wives did not sleep in the same room. In a lot of these houses, the women had their own room. So me going into that woman's room and trying to get her to talk to me, that's a no-no. in her eyes, because she would never have a strange man in her bedroom. And so she, why would she talk to me? You know, she might get in trouble by her husband or whatever, because there's some strange men in her room and it was just not the societal norm. And so you have to be conscious of those things throughout history. And even with different religions and things, there are different practices. And I learned this working in medicine for 20 years, especially on the ambulance, like with a lot of Arab people, I would have to, as a man, if I had a female patient, I would have to ask the husband permission to touch his wife because I'm not her husband. And so those are things that I had to learn that they actually taught us in college when I went to college to be a medic was those type of things like be conscious of different cultures and how they believe. And so I've kind of traded that over into the paranormal investigating.
Speaker 2: That's a good example of, real world application into paranormal investigations. Love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I try to, I try to look at it from those different standpoints. And I think that it takes all of us in our different experiences in life with something like just, just, you wouldn't think me working on the ambulance as a medic would have any bearing on, you know, paranormal investigating, but just little nuances like that of experiences in my life. That's why I love like on the unseen paranormal, talking to the different paranormal groups as well. because everybody kind of has their own approach and their own experiences in life. Cause you know, we're some of our experiences, our personalities and who we are as people are ultimately some of our experiences throughout our lives. And so that's going to bleed over into investigating and how we investigate and how we approach these things. So I find it fascinating to talk to other investigators and how they do things maybe just slightly different than me, but it makes me think more outside the box and how I can do different things like that to, illicit responses from spirits and try to make that connection with them.
Speaker 2: And it stands to reason it makes sense. Now I've, I've talked to other medical professionals, uh, medics and things like that, that have had, uh, experiences in the field, uh, particularly doctors and nurses, nurses, especially those that work the night shift have, uh, pardon my French, but they've seen some shit. Did you ever have anything like that, that you considered paranormal or, any type of visitation or anything while you were in the ambulance? Did you ever see somebody leave their body or see a loved one come to take them away or anything like that?
Speaker 1: The biggest thing in emergency medicine, because I also worked in the ER as a, as a medic and whenever my main job as a medic was, I put IVs in everybody and did blood draws and everybody, because that's just a forte if you're a medic, but also if we ran a code. So if somebody coded, you know, their heart stopped, we, we would go in the room with the doctors and nurses and we would do CPR and, and all these things to try to bring them back. And one of the things in the ER that you would notice is we would work on a patient for max, maybe 20 minutes, right? Shocking them, giving different drugs, CPR, constant CPR. And then the doctor would always ask whoever the head doctor was running the code would always ask, does anybody else have any other ideas? And most of us just knew we just have this sense that this person is gone and I don't know how to explain it, but when they, their spirit left the room, you just knew it and everybody. And even like the doctors and nurses who didn't really want to talk about the paranormal stuff, you all just have this feeling that our, our efforts now are just futile. Like we're not bringing this person back. Like, and it might not even be 20 minutes. It might be five minutes that everybody just in the room would get that feeling. All of a sudden that air just changes. And, um, in emergency medicine, I didn't have a whole lot of paranormal stuff in the emergency medicine part, like on the ambulance and the ER, because it's so fast paced that your focus is on what you're doing and not really, you're not paying attention. You're kind of, I always called it medical mode because you're very like tunnel vision on your patients and taking care of them to the detriment of yourself. Sometimes. I mean, I've gone like two hours without peeing, you know, because of, you know, patients, but, Um, now when I first started in medicine, I started out working in nursing homes as a nurse tech. And there was one nurse home in particular that I worked at that I had all kinds of experiences at. And, uh, this nursing home, the wing that I worked in was the Alzheimer's unit. And it was the oldest part of the building. This, this wing of the building had, I think it was 15 rooms and it was built as a nursing home in the 1940s. And then in the eighties, early nineties, a company come in and bought the nursing home, that nursing home, and then added more onto it. And so over the years it had been built on and it became this huge facility. And we had all kinds of experiences in that part. And it was just kind of known by all the staff and I work night shift too. And there were only three of us on that whole side of the nursing home. And there was a huge dining room and physical therapy that separated us from the rest of the building and the patients. And at night, there's nobody in that dining room or in physical therapy. So we were kind of cut off from the rest of the facility and all the other patients and nurses and stuff. And there were only three of us. So it was me, another nurse tech, and a nurse and an OPN. And you would hear people walking behind you that weren't there. The only light that we would keep on would be the light at the nurse station. So the hallways were dark. And we would even go in the patient's rooms to do our rounds every two hours to check on the patient's. cause a lot of them were Alzheimer's with incontinence. So they had to have diapers changed and things like that. So we'd even go in the rooms in the complete darkness cause our eyes were adjusted and check on the patients cause we don't want to wake them up. And so we experienced all kinds of things. I mean, I'd walk in a room and you would, it would look like there was somebody sitting in a wheelchair. And then when you turn the light on, there's nobody there, but you could see the perfect outline of head and shoulders. Um, and then probably, I think I've told you this story before. Um, But I the only thing I call the angel of death story. One night, the nurse and the other tech had gone to lunch and I was on the hall by myself and all the patients are in bed asleep. And I walk up to the around the nurse's station and come and I'm fixing to turn left down this long the long hall where most of the rooms were. And there are a set of double doors at the end that you could like the parking lot lights shine in because that was the outside door was the employee parking. And I when I look down there, I see this tall, skinny. younger guy in a like solid black suit. And he had to be probably six, four, six, five, really tall and skinny and younger. And I looked at him, we looked at each other for, I don't know, 10 seconds at most. And he smiled and he turned left and went into one of the patient rooms and everything's going through my mind. I didn't go to the paranormal. Cause I'm like in that medical mode, I wasn't thinking paranormal. And I'm like, what the hell? who is in here? It's like three o'clock in the morning. Who is in the building? There's no visitors. There's no family. We don't have a patient. It looks like that. Most of these patients were, you know, older ladies. The majority of our population were older women. And so I walked straight down there and went in that room and turned the light on. And it was just the women that the four women, there were two beds on each side. They're called ward rooms. And it was all four ladies. They were all in the bed. There's nobody else in there. And where the angel of death comes in, I left the next morning at seven o'clock. And when I came back the next night, one of those ladies in that room had passed away. And she was somebody that we weren't expecting to pass away, but she, she did about an hour after I left, they went into the room and found that she was deceased. Oh, wow.
Speaker 2: So that, that was sort of an angel of death there, I guess. Wasn't what you thought. It wasn't the grim Reaper. It wasn't a skeleton in a hooded robe, but a young guy in a suit. Interesting.
Speaker 1: And, and, and when he smiled at me, it wasn't creepy and it didn't frighten me. I thought it was a real person.
Speaker 2: He just, I'm here doing my job. Don't mind me.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he was, I think he was surprised that I could see him. I think it was one of those things. Like that's why we stared at each other for about 10 seconds, because I think he was just as surprised to see me as I was to see him. Um, another weird thing on that Alzheimer's unit is that we had a lady who, um, she was in stays Alzheimer's. And so you couldn't really talk to her. Um, she wouldn't answer you back. She was verbal and she would say things, but they didn't make any sense. And, but if she started yelling about the man in the corner, everybody knew that somebody was going to die within 24 hours and never failed. Um, and it was just something that was known by all the long-term employees. And the first time it ever happened, I was really skeptical. I'm like, whatever. When they told me, Oh, somebody's going to die because Ms. So-and-so is talking about the man in the corner. Sure enough, sure enough, somebody died. And the weird thing is also in the nursing home, deaths always come in threes. It's really weird.
Speaker 2: Now I've heard that, you know, in pop culture that anytime a celebrity or something dies, they say death come in threes. So I guess it can be that way in a nursing home or a hospital setting as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Um, but like I said, that, those for the most part was most of the paranormal experiences that I had, uh, in the medical field. Um, there were other weird things, um, especially working in like an emergency environment as an empath. I think that definitely played as a strength of mine because I kind of just knew what I should do for my patients sometimes, uh, in that emergency setting. And, and that's what they want you to do. I mean, you're training. you're trained to just act and not think about what you're doing, but just know what you need to do. But I think the empath thing came in handy of just kind of knowing sometimes without having to go into too much of like, okay, I need to do all these tests to figure out what's going on with this person, but I would already have an idea. Okay. It's their blood sugar. So the first thing I'm going to do, you know, is test their blood sugar or, you know, just having that inherent feeling that I already knew what was going on with the patient and what I needed to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I could see how being an empath would, totally work well in that type setting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That just, yeah, that little bit of insight that they just to, you know, start in the right place. That's amazing, Eric.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The, the, the most times that ever even paid attention to the paranormal working on the ambulance is when we went into hospice locations and, you know, hospice, everybody is, is dying. And to walk in there, you're, physically your body just wants to walk right back out is what it feels like. Like your legs is trying to lead you back out of the building. It's almost like two repelling magnets. Like you're just being pushed. Like this is not a place for you type deal, especially with the empath stuff with all the people, all the people in there and all the grief and the emotions. And it was just very overwhelming to go in those places. And I usually had to go like smoke two or three cigarettes, you know, and calm down after we had been in one of those places and just kind of shake off the energy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I know that feeling very, very well. Retirement homes, rehab facilities, those have always been difficult places for me to visit or in a hospice situation. Another place that really got under my skin was at a children's hospital one time. I could not wait to get out of that place just because, you know, all the pain and suffering and there are these little innocent children. It's just, it was overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Anything to do with children, like working in medicine, because To me, you always read it, children are always innocent. Especially in emergency medicine, if they get hurt or something, it's not really their fault ever. And so car wrecks and things, they're not in control of any of that. So yeah, kids are always innocent. Those are always hard cases, no matter what.
Speaker 2: And we were talking about animals in the paranormal. There was a rehabilitation facility in Portland, Oregon, They had a dog, like a therapy dog, that would wander around, go from room to room, and the patients there would pet it and things. Now, some of those people were short-term. Others were long-term. I mean, that was pretty much the end of the road for them until they went to hospice. But the same thing. There was a dog. It was a black lab female. I think her name was Lady. And they said that she would do her rounds. She would go out and go into all the rooms and stuff. But they said if there was a room that she would go in multiple times or room that she would go in and just basically refuse to come out of, they would keep a closer eye on that patient because usually they were going to expire or something bad was going to happen. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've heard a couple of stories of cats that way too. A lot of nursing homes have like their cat, their nursing home cat that just kind of wanders around.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've heard a few of those stories. Um, I have an interesting story about one of my dogs that I had to, had to put down talking about animals. Um, we, he had cancer and, uh, he had a tumor the size of a softball. And, uh, it finally came time when it was time to put him down. And so we went to the vet, put him down and me and my husband, uh, wanted to go like shopping or do something just to get our minds off of it. And we didn't have this planned out. We just talked about it afterwards because we were both upset. And so we went to Nashville and just went into this random store. We went in this, you know, strip mall with all these different stores. And just went in the store and we were looking at, it was, I forget what store it was, but it's one of those stores that kind of has everything, you know what I'm talking about? And then like they have clothes, but then they also have a section for like pets.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, they called them a variety store.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. And I think it was Home Goods or At Home, one of those places. Anyway, we were looking at the dog stuff because we were like, oh, well, you know, since we had to put him down, let's kind of pamper and spoil our other dogs. And over the loudspeaker, we hear a voice that says, Chase, can you come to the front? Well, our dog's name was Chase.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So an hour after we put our dog Chase down, we're in this random store and randomly somebody named Chase just happened to work there and they called them over the loudspeaker. And we just looked at each other and just nodded. We both just knew. That's a sign.
Speaker 2: I don't believe in coincidences. I believe in synchronicities. And that's what it sounds like there. He was letting you know that that he'd crossed a rainbow bridge or whatever you believe in that he's okay on the other side.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's funny. We have a big Island, a big four foot, a three foot Island in our kitchen and all the rest of my, I have, we have eight dogs. They're all rescues, but yeah, we have eight dogs, but there'll be outside in their run. And I will hear nails on the floor when I'm in the kitchen, send it to the Island and I'll see a little white furry, but go around the corner. And then when I go around the corner, there's no dog there. And we don't have any little white dogs. We have a big white dog, weighs 100 pounds. And so it looks like Chase. And I think he comes back and visits. And I see him every once in a while.
Speaker 2: I think they do that. And I've told the story before where I spent the night with a friend in college and slept in his spare bedroom. And during the night, a cat came, got in the bed, curled up behind my knees. I felt it jump on the bed, felt it curl up and could feel that purring. And the next morning I got up and he's cooking breakfast for us. And I said, buddy, if you're looking for your cat last night, it came and got in the bed with me. He looks at me and kind of grins. He said, Steve, that cat's been gone for three years. But he said, I feel the same thing. I felt it brush up against my leg in the dark. I felt it jump on the bed. He said, there's no cat here. I don't have any other animals, but I know what I felt and what I experienced. It was a cat. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard other stories from people like that, too. My friend, Sin Trader Hill, who's a paranormal author investigator, I narrated one of her books for my new podcast, Strange Chapters. And one of her stories that she has in her own book is about a cat doing that. And she thought it was the actual cat. And then she remembered they had they had moved into a new place and her cat was staying at her mom's. And she realized my cat's not here. But she knew the feeling of it was a cat jumping up and curling at the bottom of her legs. You know how they kind of walk around in a circle and nest? Yeah. That's kind of what this cat did and laid down. And yeah, she didn't realize it until the next day that, oh, my cat is still at my mom's. We don't have a cat here. And so it was a ghost cat.
Speaker 2: Amazing. And I think they do survive. They do come back. And sometimes for good or bad, but always interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, the dog Chase, I think the reason that he comes back is he was a rescue and he was a difficult rescue. His story is crazy. I read the whole story in one of Sin's books about loved ones coming back and visiting. But we rescued him. They're going to put him down because he had behavioral issues because he was rescued from a puppy mill. Anyway, long story short, we got the dog. I worked with him a lot of working with him to get him to be a good dog. He ended up being an amazing dog. We had him for eight years. And before we had to put him down and that dog taught me more than I think I ever taught him. And so I think that's why he comes back because me and him had such a connection. I love all of my animals. I love all my dogs and they're all spoiled rotten, but he is just that one animal that I had such an insane connection with. And I think that's why he still comes around because me and him just had such a connection.
Speaker 2: No, I think they can sense emotions and things too. I had that experience when I was a child, I'd be upset about something and then they would come over, you know, and like, like try to come for me and things. And there's a certain bond there with, with certain animals.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's, it's weird how the, having eight dogs, the different dynamic, like I said, they're all spoiled and I love them all. And they all get, you know, spoiled to death and loving and cuddles and, but different, yeah. Different ones based on their different personalities. Um, some of them are more loving than others and, um, yeah, we have a couple of our dogs that if you're sick or not feeling well, they will come and cuddle with you more and want more of your attention that way. Um, because they can, they just know something's wrong with you. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a story and um strange things in the woods about a dog that uh passed away and came back and a lot of people saw him other than the person that he actually belonged to that person never did see the dog but his dad would see it like going around the corner of the house just out of sight you know just vanished and run over there and it's not there. His son saw the dog. He was, uh, him and his mom had been somewhere coming back and he saw the dog like in the edge of the woods and say, Oh, the dog came back, but it, it not in, uh, in actual form. It was a spirit, but, uh, I read a lot of stories to similar accounts like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The one that fascinated me with animals are the ones that were, they've, um, the animal spirit has helped people. And people will figure out like there, there's one story that I heard about. These people are horseback riding and they got lost. They were standing at a camp and they were horseback riding and they got lost and it was going to be a really cold night and they didn't have the proper gear to stay out overnight for their horses or themselves. Well, this random like yellow, I think it was a yellow lab just come up to them and started barking at them. And they finally figured out he wants us to follow him. Well, he led them all the way back to the camp and they, uh, the people that own the camp or whatever, they were talking and said, you know, this dog led us back here and we thought we were going to freeze to death out in the cold. And the owner, the guy said, well, that sounds like my dog that died like two years ago. He used to run around the woods and like, you know, um, he was kind of the camp dog and, uh, yeah, this dog had, and they never saw the dog again, but it saved them from being out in this really cold night. and possibly something happened to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazing. And I've done videos about missing people where that's happened. Sometimes it'd be their own animal, or other times just some random anonymous animal, if you will, that showed up. Now, getting back to that, do you think it's just domesticated animals that do that, or do you think animals in the wild can come back? I mean, I've never heard of anybody seeing a ghost of a deer or a bear, but not in the sense that we were talking about. Now you see the cat gray, she's got a story about, uh, I guess what they call a not deer. That's a deer, but it's not a deer that, uh, it was the shadowy form of a deer caught in mid leap, but it was moving without, you know, it wasn't moving its legs or running or anything. It was just like, if you drew a picture of a deer leaping and then that picture moved along, what do you think something like that is from a paranormal perspective?
Speaker 1: I think it's definitely possible. Um, I think, you know, they have energy the same as humans. So I think you get something that's intelligent or, um, or even something like stone tape theory. But, um, I, I would say that you, if you see a bear in the wild, you're not going to go poke it in the ass to make sure it's real and not a spirit. So it would be, it would be hard to tell if you're, what you're looking at is, you know.
Speaker 2: Now, if you were watching an animal in the wilderness and then saw it wink out of existence or disappear or something, that might be a heads up. But yeah, I'm not going to go check anything like that. We've talked a lot about hauntings and spirits and ghosts and things. That's your forte, your field of study. Do you ever delve over into any of the cryptid encounters, Bigfoot, Dogman, any interest in any of those things?
Speaker 1: I kind of have an interest in all of it. Yeah, I have a lot of guests on and talk about dogman and bigfoot in particular but all kinds of other cryptids as well um i find them fascinating not just from a they might be real standpoint but the folklore and storytelling standpoint of them and how some of these small towns like falc arkansas yeah had this one sighting back in 1940 something and they still have a festival every year and that's yeah that's a big one yeah and that's the center of their but that's the center of their like economy.
Speaker 2: The Mothman Festival. What was the other one that's in that area? I'll think of it here in a second. The thing that looked like some sort of alien creature, Flatwoods Monster. They had Flatwood days there and it's celebrated. And I've talked to them about that before, how people embrace things like that. And it becomes part of the local, not only the legend, but part of the economy. They celebrate it. They have festivals and gift shops and T-shirts and things like that. And I think that's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. I think it's cool to keep those stories alive like that as well. And I find cryptids very interesting. And I think that some of them could be real creatures. I mean, we're still discovering creatures every day. Like biologists are out there, you know, discovering creatures. real living animals every day. And even, even larger animals. I mean, they're finding like deer species and things that they never knew existed. And like, as far as like Bigfoot, I mean, we didn't discover mountain gorillas until the 1930s. Until then, they were just a myth, like silverback gorillas.
Speaker 2: You read my mind again. I was just going to mention the great apes that that was thought to be a myth or just a legend until they discovered them. So again, the thing with cryptids for me, Bigfoot and things like that, people say, well, It can't exist because we've never found a carcass. Well, I know bears exist, but I've never came across a bear carcass in the woods either. I think you and I talked about that before when I was on your show. But I don't see not having a carcass as evidence that it doesn't exist because there's a lot of smaller predators out there, you will, that will pick anything clean. even down to insects and blowflies and things like that. Nature makes good use of everything. Not a lot goes to waste. So I don't think that's an indicator that something doesn't exist because we've never found a dead one or the carcass of a dead one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was talking to Shane Corse on the other day. He's with the Olympic Project, and out in the Olympic National Forest, they have a couple of research areas where they research mainly Bigfoot, Sasquatch. And he brought up a good point when I was talking to him the other day, He said, well, if you come across bones in the forest, who is adept at telling where that bone came from? You don't know if it came from a deer, a raccoon, a bear. You're not going to know if that's a Bigfoot bone or not, unless you see a skull. You're not going to know what animal that bone belonged to. And I'm with you on that. Mother Nature is an amazing system at dealing with waste and getting rid of stuff.
Speaker 2: And I think we talked about that, didn't we? When I was on your show that the period of time there that say a deer or something like that in the woods goes from the whole body down to nothing. It's just a few days.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And it'll be scattered. I mean, scavengers, they scatter it. They're not going to leave everything right where they found it. I mean, they're going to, you know, take parts off and, and even animals that people don't really understand, don't really think would scavenge on something like that. I mean, you have, opossums and even raccoons will scavenge. I mean, if they're hungry, you know, and so, um, they're not necessarily all the time carnivores, but they're omnivores. So they, yeah, they eat meat as well. And, but you have, I mean, you got a whole thing of vultures that come down and you have, I mean, people have seen them on the side of the road. There's 10 vultures around like a deer carcass. And that thing will be gone in a couple of days. And that's a, that's your carcass that you can see, you know?
Speaker 2: Well, uh, let's talk about, um, A little bit about your podcast. Now, you just celebrated your 150th episode, and as luck would have it, you had me on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That looks like that's been a good run for you. I know that was rated way up there in Apple Podcasts and things, and you had an all-around good reaction to it. Where do you see that going in the future?
Speaker 1: I think I've really settled in as an interviewer and learned a lot. interviewing people and the conversation style I think is what I enjoy the most and I think that's what people enjoy because I do my research on guests and I know I try to know as much as I can about what we're talking about so that I can ask the proper questions and things that people want to know but I just like to have a conversation like we're having now and just see where it goes and I think those make the most interesting conversations and also for my guests I want my guests to not have the same conversation that they've had 8,000 times on other podcasts or other media. Exactly.
Speaker 2: I try to ask different questions, not trying to throw your curve ball or anything. I like to pull one out of the pouch every now and then that maybe you haven't been asked before.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's some overlap in the audiences, but this will be a lot of people's first introduction to you.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 2: Cover a little old ground there that we've already covered when I was on your shows. I've been on with you a couple of times, I think.
Speaker 1: I think five times.
Speaker 2: Has it been that many?
Speaker 1: Wow. I think so, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I love the conversational stuff too, just people sitting around telling stories, storytelling, if you will, talking to legends and ghosts and folklore. Always had a love for that. And I wanted to ask you, I thought of it earlier and I got back around to it finally. Since you're there in Tennessee, have you ever been up to historic Jonesboro for the International Storytelling Convention?
Speaker 1: I have not. That is something that's on my list because like I was talking about earlier, I love the storytelling aspect of the paranormal. And I think, and also with being a Tennessee native, I think it's just part of our DNA. And I think you would agree coming from Appalachia because that tradition came over with the Scottish and the Irish that settled in that area. And it's kind of been handed down And a lot of what people don't understand is a lot of terms that we use like boogeyman and things come from those storytelling. And a lot of the urban legends and myths that we know of as part of American culture or Southern culture come from those storytellers. And I find it fascinating, but I'd love to go to that storytelling because just, yeah, just to go hear some of the incredible things that people come up with and the creativity of the storytelling.
Speaker 2: I've never spoken at it, but I've, I've been there and, uh, and, and listened to it and drew it on. They have some, some fabulous, fabulous storytellers and, uh, Jonesboro historic Jonesboro. They, they like for you to say it that way, but, uh, uh, that, that whole town is haunted. They're on the main street. Every one of those little shops and buildings there has some kind of story to it. And one time I'd gone up there, this has been back in the nineties. And, uh, I had the first digital camera I ever owned. It was a, Kodak and I think it had like half a megapixel or something like that you know which was a big deal at the time but uh had that same thing that we talked about uh had problems with the batteries right from the start and it seemed like anytime I took a picture of a building there would be some anomaly sometimes it would be a mist or almost like a little cloud and it wasn't any aberration in the lens or anything like that because I could point at other places and it didn't show up But just about all the buildings there had some kind of weird, almost looked like a smoke or a mist around them or near the top or coming out from under the eave. And then went back up into, after I'd been there, went on into Damascus, Virginia. The Appalachian Trail passes through there. Damascus has a thing called Trade Days where they celebrate, I'm sorry, the Trail Days. Trade Days is another thing in that area. But they have Appalachian Trail celebration there. And I went there and took some pictures and stuff, got back. And I was living at the time in extreme northeastern Tennessee. I lived up there for a short time in a little place called Mountain City. And it was kind of equidistant between if you went one direction, you could be in Boone, North Carolina. If you went the other direction, you were in Abingdon or Damascus, Virginia. or you could go another direction and end up in johnson city and the tri-cities up there but by the time i got back to where i was living that that card was completely blank there was not a single picture on there and uh i it was one of the big cf cards and i sent it to a company to do data recovery because i wanted those pictures yeah and uh they got in contact with me they're like this is the weirdest thing we've ever seen. They're like, are you sure this is the card you use? And I'm like, yes, I only had one card at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it held like, you know, maybe a hundred pictures or something. But, uh, they said, this is never even been formatted. This is a completely virgin, completely blank card. And I'm like, that's impossible. But yet there it was. And I lost all those pictures. I was able to look at them, you know, in the viewfinder of it and saw those anomalies and stuff. But then, got back, plugged it into the computer, nothing there. And it couldn't be recovered. I have no explanation.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Other than I was in the presence of a lot of paranormal activity there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've heard of that. You're not the first person I've heard that that's happened to. Um, I've heard that happen quite a bit. Um, certain locations tend to be, uh, like that. I've heard of people's laptops crashing and all kinds of crazy electronic stuff happening in certain locations. But, um, There's actually a Haunted Jonesboro book, and I cannot remember the gentleman's name.
Speaker 2: It's probably Charles Edwin Price. I know he writes a lot about the cities in Tennessee. I don't know that that's the one, but I think he did do a book about Haunted Jonesboro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's who it is because he was a newspaper reporter in East Tennessee, and he started writing all these paranormal books. Yeah, I believe that's who it's by, but I think you can still get it on Amazon if you're interested. I have a book that you would be interested in. It was, and I randomly found this at McKay's. And for anybody that doesn't know what McKay's is, it's in Nashville. And there's one in Knoxville. It's a huge used bookstore, basically. And they do video games.
Speaker 2: I spent a lot of time in McKay's. Back in the day, it was, well, yeah, it was McKay's. And then the one in Oak Ridge changed to Mr. K's. Same layout, same principle. But the one there in Keystapike in Knoxville, I don't know. It may still be there. But I spent a lot of time in there. So what did you find at McKay's?
Speaker 1: So this was probably a once-in-a-lifetime amazing find. And doing research on my own book that I'm writing about Tennessee called Small Town Haunts and Legends that will be out later this year, I was looking for stories that people haven't heard before. And so I found this book, and it's a monograph. So it's a really small, self-printed book from September of 1966. It's called A Collection of Folklore by Undergraduate Students of East Tennessee State University. And it was printed by them by the Institute of Regional Studies at East Tennessee State in Johnson City. And what they did was the students, they sent them out to talk to their grandparents, to talk to different older folks in the, in the community and to tell different folklore stories. And some of them are ghost stories. Um, some of them are, uh, just incredible stories of people surviving the war and things like that. But it is this incredible story of tales from all these different people. And it tells you, um, you know, where the person lives, like Hawkins County or this city or that city. And it's just this little like pamphlet that's maybe 50 pages.
Speaker 2: I would love to read that sometime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is awesome. And I'm like, I picked it up at McKay's and I was like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Sometimes you can find the strangest things in there. Years and years ago at the one in Oak Ridge, they had a free book being outside. It was stuff they wouldn't buy. If you didn't want to cart it back, you could dump it in there. I found a rare young adult fiction book that I had heard of and never even seen a copy. It was only distributed to schools and libraries. I found it in the free books and I read it, ended up putting it on eBay and I got like $ 420. You never know, but that was the way it was in the case. It was hit or miss. Sometimes you go in to be the same stuff and then other times you'd find a little diamond like that. But yeah, I looked up Charles Edwin Price real quick, says he was born in 1941 and specializes as a freelance writer. in Southern Appalachian folklore, ghost lore, local history. He remembers sitting with his grandfather as a youngster and listening to tall tales in the past decade. I'm not sure when this was written. He's written many books of folklore and mystery, including Haunted Tennessee, Ain't's Witches and Boogers, The Day They Hung the Elephant. That's, I won't say Elizabethan, but it's real close to there. I'd Rather Have a Talking Frog, danger train and another thing this book and that was a nice segue unintentional to something else he wrote a book called the infamous bell witch of tennessee yeah you and i talked about that when i was on your show uh what's your take on the whole bell witch phenomenon i've been down there i've been to the bell witch cave there's something there i got some strange photographs there too and uh chris um can't remember her last name now that her and her husband own that farm now she's got books full of pictures that she's taken and that people have taken and sent to her. Went back decades of strange anomalies there. Kirby, Chris Kirby is her lady's name. But go down there and see it if you haven't been already. I think you said you had been there, right?
Speaker 1: I have. And actually in May, a friend of mine's paranormal group, Black Wolf Paranormal, are running the paranormal investigations of the cave and the property. So in May, I'm going to go be a guest investigator. And they run the paranormal investigations as well as the daytime investigations May through October. But I've talked a lot about the Bell Witch on my show on the Unseen Paranormal. And then also I just narrated a story from H.J. Tidy about the Bell Witch for the Strange Chapters YouTube channel. And talking about the history and the folklore and about the hauntings. But I've had Pat Fitzhugh on the show. Pat Fitzhugh, he's an expert. on the legend i would say because.
Speaker 2: I've met pat before when i lived in mountain city they had something that was going on at uh which cave and i went down there to nashville and uh met him i think he's written two or three books about.
Speaker 1: It he he has four books now four okay yeah and he he's been researching it for 40 years and um pat's a great guy the interesting guy he was actually a speaker at our expo we had last year and the one the year before but um Great guy, and he can tell you anything about the legend, the hauntings, all of that. I also had the opportunity, the last time I had Pat on my show, we actually brought on Candy, who's the daughter of the owners of the farm and the cave, and she's the head tour guide.
Speaker 2: That's probably the little girl that I saw her picture back in the day where she was sitting outside the entrance of the cave with a friend of hers and had a snake around her neck, looked like a bigger snake, like maybe a boa or something. And Chris told me, she said, there's no way my daughter would have sat there smiling with a snake around her neck. We don't know what that was. picture is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She, uh, she's lived there since she, she was 12 is what she told me. And she is in her thirties now. And, um, but she told some stories about things that happened in the cave. Uh, things happen on a regular basis in the cave to people paranormal wise, as far as the bell family and the story. I think it's just a legend and a story and the town of Adams have embraced it. And they have a festival every year that brings in lots of people and it brings in lots of tourism. And it's a great story. It's an interesting, fascinating story. Um, but you can't prove any of it.
Speaker 2: So, um, a lot of people, the best legends and the best folklore, that's the way it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, the biggest thing that people want to point towards is Andrew Jackson was supposedly gone there and spent the night. Um, there is no evidence whatsoever that Andrew Jackson ever wrote about the Bell Witch situation with the actual witch and the Bell family. Now, Andrew Jackson did have a law office in Adams, Tennessee, and he more than likely knew the Bell family. But there's nothing to say that he actually ever went to the farm. Actually, when they claimed that he went to the farm and stayed, he was in, I believe, New Orleans at the time. And he wasn't anywhere around Adams, Tennessee. But I think also if there is any truth to what happened with the Bell family, with the one daughter being tortured by the spirit, you know, back then they didn't know what schizophrenia and things like that were. I mean, you're talking about, you know, early 1800s, late 1700s, early 1800s. And they didn't know about that because it only centered around John Bell, the father and the older daughter.
Speaker 2: And, um, Betsy, I believe was her name.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Betsy Bell. And, uh, she, there, there's theories that there was a curse put on them by Kate Bates or Kate Bates, whatever, whichever folklore you want to listen to that her name is spelled two different ways. Um, Kate Bates or Bates owned an adjacent farm and she was married with a husband. She was not a witch. She did not live in a cave. her, back then, she wouldn't have been dealing with any property disputes. That would have been with her husband. Could she have put a hex on him? Yeah. But, yeah, she wouldn't have had a beef with John Bell. It would have been her husband that would have had a beef with him. And so there's nothing to prove that, you know, that happened. And as far as the cave goes, the cave really has nothing to do with the actual legend and folklore other than that it's on the property. And what they, even Candy and all these people have told me, the reason that they believe that the cave is haunted is because when they built the highway through Adams, they found some Native American graves where they were digging to put the highway. Well, they relocated some of these into the cave at the time because above the cave on the property, they actually have Indian mounds, burial mounds.
Speaker 2: There is a Cherokee box grave there in the cave, supposedly. I mean, it's just a hole with a stone lined around in a square shape, but that's the story that's told that that's a Cherokee box grave.
Speaker 1: And that was actually, from what I understand, was put there when they moved that grave from the highway area. That grave was actually put in there the way they found it. So they found that box grave where they were carving out to the highway, and they just moved it and put it in the cave the way they found it. The bones have long since been removed, I think, by the Tennessee State Archaeologist, removed the bones. But the one thing that I've heard, and it's haunted, things happen all the time to tour guides and things. So, yeah, I think there's definitely something to the cave being haunted. But they think that it's more towards the Native American side of things with the mounds and that type of stuff. One of the biggest legends that's come out of the cave is that if you take anything out of the cave, arrowhead, stone, anything, that you will have bad luck. And I asked Candy this straight up, and she said they get lots of packages back every year of people sending rocks back.
Speaker 2: Chris Kirby told me that, that sometimes they'd come home, they'd block the gate when they're not there, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She said sometimes there'd be stuff laying in the driveway with a note tied to it. Like, would you please put this back in the cave?
Speaker 1: Yeah. And Candy told me that whenever they opened it back up after COVID, because they were shut down for two years for COVID. She said the first week they opened back up, this lady and her family came from out of town. They came and did the cave tour during the day. They went and ate at a local restaurant and the lady fell and broke her leg and had to go to the emergency room and have cast put on and cast and all. Before they left town, they came back to the farm, and her husband got out of the car and explained what happened and gave them a rock that the lady had taken out of the cave. And they believe that she broke her leg because she took the rock out of the cave.
Speaker 2: There's probably a lot of stories like that. I don't know if you've ever been down to Key West, but they have Robert the Doll on display down there. And the walls are lined with pictures that people took of him without asking his permission and had bad luck or some sort of misfortune, and they send them back. And the people that curate that museum started putting them on the wall. There's, there's hundreds of them there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the petrified forest, um, if you take the, the park service actually gets packaged back with pieces of petrified wood that people have taken out of the park, even though it's illegal to take them. But once people have taken them, they attribute their bad luck for them taking pieces of petrified wood out of the park. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've heard that story too. So the, the, the, Moral of that is don't take anything when you go anywhere. Don't take any souvenirs because you might get a souvenir that you weren't looking for attached to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But the kind of thing with the Bell family and the Bell Witch stuff, it's kind of lost to history now. You know, it's like the telephone game. It's been passed down from so many years, you know, 200 years. Who knows what was true with the Bell family and what wasn't. But it's an amazing myth and legend. And the cave is awesome just as a cave. But then when you throw the hauntings and the paranormal stuff going on, it makes it even more interesting. And I'm excited to be a guest investigator because I've never investigated the cave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's going to be fascinating. I'm looking forward to hearing about that. But especially growing up in Tennessee, it was just such a part of our local heritage. Even though I was in East Tennessee, I talked about that on your show, how there was a game there that the school kids played, maybe still do similar to bloody Mary, but it was the bell witch. You go into the room with the light off and say, I don't believe in the bell witch three times. And she'd come out of the mirror and scratch you. So just an interesting piece of very Tennessee centric folklore.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And we did the same thing when I was a kid, it was the bell witch. It was never bloody Mary. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't, didn't hear bloody Mary until I was much older. And, uh, heard that from kids that were from other places, but yeah, the Bell Witch was our local variant of that, and up the road a ways in Powell or Claxton, going up Clinton Highway out in Knoxville, there was a place up there where there had been an old motor court style hotel there, and somebody had been in there after it had closed down in the pool and had drowned, and they had a similar story about that, that you could go and sit across the highway from that, and say that you didn't believe in it and you would hear them splashing around in the water there even though the pool was long gone yeah so i think that's another like the telephone game of vanishing hitchhiker and all that crybaby bridge and yeah the white lady that walks on the side of the highway every little community in the south's got a crybaby bridge i think and there's just a little variation in the story but it's it's the same story and i think somewhere at some point it did happen that's just been passed along and redone to fit the local area so people know what you're talking.
Speaker 1: About yeah i find this fascinating because you can you can even go to stories like the razor blades and candy that can be they've traced that back to one story that happened actually in the 1970s and unfortunately a guy did it to his own kids but now it's become this ubiquitous thing that people are out there putting razor blades and candy.
Speaker 2: And razor blades in apples pens and candy bars things like that and i remember even I don't think they did it when I was a kid, but in the early to mid 80s, Park West Hospital there in Knoxville on Halloween, you could bring your kids candy back there and they would x-ray it to make sure there was no metallic objects in there. So again, that's one of those that was passed around. And yeah, the guy that did it to his kids, I think he poisoned a pixie stick or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ended up killing his son and they traced it back to him. It was an attempted murder as insurance fraud, but again, that's how those urban legends get started. And it goes nationwide and probably in other countries too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I just find, I find it fascinating, especially when you can trace them back and how they, it changes and morphs depending on the culture of where you're at in the country as well. And, uh, so I've with the paranormal and the reason I love doing the podcast, especially strange chapters. Now, uh, it was sharing chapters. I'm partnered up with authors and I'm narrating, uh, stories out of their books. And, um, And I just find the storytelling of the paranormal fascinating as well, from hearing the legends, but also hearing individual stories of what's happened to them paranormal-wise and their experiences with either hauntings or Bigfoot or things like that. I just find the stories all fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was the impetus behind Strange Things in the Woods. I had an epiphany at my granny's funeral, the one I was talking about. I was 13 years old. And I just, you know, was standing there paying my respects and observing her in her coffin and thinking about all those legends, all those tales, all those stories and things she told me. They died right there with her. because even within her own family you know my mom and some of her brothers and things maybe knew a little bit of that but my cousins even less so but I got the brunt of it because you know I was the special child with a veil over his face when I was born and I thought you know I'm not going to let that happen So use not only some of her stories, but other people's stories that I am writing a book about her. And I just, I wish now that I hadn't been afraid of her when I was little. And I wish I'd had at least another 13 years with her because that's the senior citizens are such a wealth of knowledge. I've talked about that. When I do book readings and things, I go to different places. I've gone into like a old folks home or senior center and read from one of my books. And some people are like, oh, well, there's no bingo tonight. You know, they get up and leave or they sit there crocheting or whatever. But usually there's one or two people that will hang back. And I know what's about to happen. They'll wait till the room kind of empties out and then they'll sidle up to me and say, you know, that reminded me of something that happened to me when I was a boy or a story that I heard from my dad or my granddad. You know, again, these may be stories that they've never told anybody that they've never talked about. When they're gone, it's gone. So I like helping build a legacy that way. And Strange Things Out of the Woods, that was stories from friends and family and friends and family and things. But about probably 95% of the people in that book have passed on. Yet I'm able to let their stories live on through my chronicling of it. And, you know, that's a great mantle to assume. And I enjoy that. And I do 100 volumes of it if I've got time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I look at paranormal investigating in a similar way as well, that we're possibly connecting to these people in the past that may be forgotten about, if not for us investigating and trying to contact them and tell their story.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And making sure that the stories live on. And I'm doing that with my YouTube channel, Among the Missing, and a lot of these people that have never been found and things, they're kind of forgotten about. I mean, you'll have a big case. in the media like Gabby Petito or somebody like that, that just, it fades away after a while and people kind of forget, but you know, the families, the loved ones, the friends of those people, they don't forget. So I think it's important to keep the memory of those people out there because there's a family somewhere that are friends that would like to have some sort of closure and somewhere. I still think in a lot of these cases, somebody knows something, particularly in cases where there seems to be foul play involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And just because they're not famous or the person wasn't famous or the media didn't pick up on it, doesn't mean that their story is not just as important as those ones that make it a big stories. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I've said that to me, one missing person is not any more or less important than any other missing person. And that's my true criteria. They're missing and they're a person and then we'll talk about it, but I don't know what it is. There's certain cases like that, that just catch the media eye and they run with it. And then there's, stories that are just as fascinating. And again, just as important to the family and friends of those missing people that maybe get local coverage, if that even, so it's, it's kind of a catch 22 there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And, uh, you mentioned, uh, strange chapters there. Um, how many episodes of that have you done and where's that going, going forward?
Speaker 1: Uh, so I, I think this week's episode is 18 that I've done. Um, if the stories are short from that author, if they're the stories that they give me are short, then I will do them in one episode. I'm trying to keep it between 20 and 30 minutes so that it's, you know, short, um, uh, short listen or watch on YouTube. Um, if, if the stories are longer than that, then I've been doing different parts. So I'll have, you know, like with HJ tidy, um, those stories were a little bit longer about the bell, which about the Sally house and about, uh, myrtle's plantation. Cause there's a lot of history and the haunting stuff in there. And so I did those as like a three part series and put that out over the course of a week and a half. And those episodes end up being about 15 minutes long. But there is a video element that I do on YouTube that I use AI for to do images and the pictures are moving. So it's kind of interesting there. But it's also put out as a podcast where people can just listen anywhere they listen to podcasts on Apple or Spotify or any of the other places that you get podcasts. But YouTube, it's really taken off. and uh i have uh i think there's 5 000 views already and like over 500 watch hours and so it's actually doing really well uh to be that young of a podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah sounds like it's doing great out of the gate and i'm looking forward to to see where you go over there with that and uh hopefully getting introduced to a lot of authors that i haven't heard of i think that's important too because again i've been fortunate on amazon i've had several best sellers but Sometimes it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff or the signal from the noise. I mean, there's millions of books over there and there's some great diamonds in the rough, some great authors that people have never heard of and stuff. So shows like yours, you know, you can bring those to the fore and help them get a little bit of discovery and help them find their audience, especially people that are struggling. I hate to see that people that are doing well and decide, you know, I'm never going to be able to do anything with this and just give up. When there's still stories to be told and that goes for, for fiction and even poetry as well. And you know, young adult fiction, any genre can be great if you find the right audience for it. And that's, I think that's the thing with the paranormal and missing people and things like that. The audience is there and they're hungry for it. But again, you've got to do something to be able to shine a light on it. And I'm not that good at self-promotion. It's just, I'm the way I, took care of it was to go on shows like yours or to go basically anywhere they'd have me. I've been on coast to coast and been on Clyde Lewis several times as a guest. And that's how I ended up with this show on his ground zero radio network. Uh, apparently people enjoy listening to me talk. So there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I, I'm like you, I hear a lot about my voice cause it's deep and, and I don't have much of an accent and, you know, so, um, that's part of, that was part of my motivation to get into narrating, uh, Because people are asking me, when are you going to do something like that? And also, like you were talking about, I read so many books doing research and reading ghost stories. And even having guests on my show, I have a lot of paranormal authors on my show. And we can't tell all the stories in the hour on the Unseen Paranormal. But I read all these amazing stories and these amazing firsthand encounters in their books. And this just gives me another way to share them. And at first, I thought, am I going to enjoy narrating? And actually, I really, really do enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I had no idea that I could do it until I did it and people wanted more.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's crazy. Like even through 18 episodes that I've recorded of strange chapters from the very first one, that was a little bit of a struggle getting the timing right. And you know, all these other, the cadence and all this other stuff. I feel like now the episode I just put out, I've kind of found my groove and got in the groove and in the niche, but I love it because I get to learn more about the paranormal while entertaining other people. but also, like you were talking about, shine a light on some of these authors' books, and hopefully the show will help them sell at least a few copies and gain a different audience that never would have known about them to begin with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's a great thing. I've inspired other people to write. Cisco Murdoch, for one, the book that she and I did together, We're All Children in the Wilderness of the Afterlife, a guided tour through a haunted life. It took me two years to learn to say that title without Tripping over my tongue. But it was. It was a great experience. I mean, she did all the heavy lifting. It's her stories. But I did like a color commentary. I'd come along behind her and have an anecdote or something. But, you know, I encourage you to do that. And I think that if I hadn't, she wouldn't have done it. She even said I kept after her. She's had all these stories that I'd heard from being on her show. And so I said, you've got to write a book. You've got to write a book.
Speaker 1: You've got to write a book.
Speaker 2: And finally, after years of that, she's like, okay, I'll do it. But you're coming with me. And there you go. And Mark Anthony Wyatt, another guy I know, a friend of mine from Cornwall, UK, I encouraged him to write a book. And I think he's got three or so out there now. And a lot of it was having to do with that area of England specifically. But again, that's a book that wouldn't have existed necessarily without some prodding from people like me. Like, these are great stories. You got to write them. You got to write them.
Speaker 1: You got to write them. Yeah. And I would say, I would credit you. with being one of the people that influenced me to, to, to work on strain, to work on the small town haunted legends book that it's been like a year and a half, two years in the making, but you know, I have a lot of other stuff going on too, but it will be finished and out this year. And you and a couple of other, um, paranormal author friends have been really supportive and like, you need to go do this. Like you're well-spoken. So you'll be well-written. Cause my whole thing is like, I'm not a writer. And, um, but then my friend sends straighter Hill, She just asked me to write the forward to her newest book. And I was just honored and she was blown away by it. And I was honored to be asked to write the forward. You know, the first thing that people are going to see in this book is what I wrote. Like, and I didn't even know how to approach it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then i thought well it's mine to do who says that a forward has to be this format like who cares you know and so i just wrote from the heart and and wrote um and that's the best writing yeah and and she loved it and it's like i said it's in her newest book and and i just felt so honored and after that that kind of gave me a boost of confidence is what i was getting at with that to finish my book. Cause I kind of lost confidence. I'm like, am I really a good writer? You know, is this really worth it? And that kind of gave me the boost to finish the book. And now I have an idea for another one to work on later on this year. So that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Anytime you write a book, you're already onto the next one or that's been my experience. And I'm an Aspie. So I tend to work on five or six projects at a time. And I've got that many books going on. I've got film scripts that I'm working on. I've got other YouTube channels planned. You know, just I can't focus on one particular thing. So I focus on a bunch of different things. And that's the unwieldy part of it sometimes is, okay, I need to stay on this and get that done. But it means having writer's block. That way I've always got a project that I can, a writing project that I can go to. But if I can do it, anybody can do it. And I've always said, if you can talk, you can write. Or even if you can't talk, if you're mute, you can still write a book. And just start putting words on paper and it'll take off. It'll get a mind of its own. And although I've started ones and I thought, man, this wasn't what I thought it was going to be. And I've got several projects like that that are not necessarily permanently shelved, but that are shelved nonetheless. And yeah, the more you write, the more you want to write. And it's like anything, the easier, the more you do it, the easier it gets. And there's a Stephen King quote that I like to use. He once called himself the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and fries, meaning it's accessible to everybody. He said the high school kid can read it. The plumber with his butt crack hanging out can read it. Or the guy that's been to college or the doctor can read it. So I like hitting that middle ground. And I've seen a lot of authors fall that way where they go in thinking, I have to show everybody how intelligent I am and what a good writer I am. it's going to be hard to find an audience that way when people have to look up the words in the title, nobody's going to buy that book. Right.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah. And that's, yeah. And I just try to, like I said, I, I write the way I talk because I don't, I'm not a writer. I don't know how else to write it. And so, you know, I do my research on the history and collect the information and just write it in, you know, my understanding of my own words and try to make it where people understand it and will enjoy it. Hopefully.
Speaker 2: And there you go. And that's the hardest part for me sometimes is just ass in seat and write.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's easy to get distracted. I've thought about getting just a regular typewriter, but that's a huge pain in the ass because I started out writing that way. If I could have just like, I don't know, maybe a Chromebook or something that I didn't even have to connect to the Internet until I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Where there was I could keep my focus and just sit and write. And I like to listen to music when I write. But yeah, I was writing in your own voice. That's who else you're going to write in. I mean, you can mimic somebody or try different styles and things, but once you start doing it, you find your own voice and your own cadence and things. And that's, but thanks. I consider that an honor to think that I've inspired you even in some small way to.
Speaker 1: Write a book. Oh no, you and Cisco have been a huge influence on me the past few years since I started the paranormal podcast journey and kind of getting out in the public with, with my investigating and stuff. Yeah, you and Cisco have definitely been hugely influential.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate that. And speaking on behalf of her, I'm sure she does too. And I'd like to have the both of you on sometime. Yeah, yeah. And see what can shake loose. And I want to hear both of your experiences at Gettysburg and things. Because I know she talks about that all the time. She lives in Gettysburg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an amazing place like no other.
Speaker 2: And just to have that many like-minded people in one place for that purpose of investigating the paranormal, for being a paranormalist, if you will, when you've done your homework and you've done your research and you kind of know what to expect, not only, but why it's there. That's the fascinating part to me about the whole paranormalist thing. And it's helping me to look at things in a different light, you know, and in a different way that I've always done that in the first place. I mean, a lot of these places, even in Strange Things in the Woods, there were other people's stories. Once I heard those stories, I had to go there. There's one about Sequoia Museum there in Von Orr, where I read about there's an Indian mound there on the edge of the parking lot to one side. But back behind there, there's this tree that looks like a Disney tree that's out in the woods. And that's somebody's power spot. Well, somebody told me that story. I got to go. So next time I was working a regular job then. Since I had a day off, I was headed down to Von Orr. I went back there in the woods behind the Indian Mount. I stopped and paid my respects there. I'm part Cherokee on my dad's side. And then went in the woods there. It is, that's one of the most amazing trees I've ever seen. You can feel the energy. That is a very, very different spot. And there are places like that. I've encountered that in the Smokies and other places, but that one in particular. Another one here, there's a story about a barn where they found cow manure in this barn that hadn't been used in decades. They found cow manure up in the second loft and it was fresh. They poked a stick in it to see that the barn and silos gone now, but I had to go there because a lot of these were regional. And when I could, I'd go and check it out. That one I have no answer for, but I told that story recently on a live stream and somebody commented that it was Wendigo crap up in the barn. I hadn't even thought about that, but maybe they do take a dump. Who knows? But it was, you know, it was amazing story. And the fact that several of these kids witnessed it together, you know, somebody telling tales that they all saw it and experienced it. I love stuff like that where it's a one-off, but there may be several witnesses to it. Like, you know, the Dover demon or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I, the, some of those stories fascinate me. And I've, that's another thing about the paranormal that I absolutely love is that get to go places that other people normally don't go or get to go. Um, you know, we have to rent out places, but, uh, like at brushy mountain, uh, we're going, I'm going back again in April and it costs a lot of money to rent the place out for the night, but there are so many other places that we get to go. The general public during the day tour doesn't get to go to experience and we get to experience the history of in a different way and all these amazing places that we get into that otherwise without the paranormal, we would not. And, and so I think my view on the paranormal ultimately is that it's, for me, it's more about the journey than it is necessarily the destination. So yes, I love investigating.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love investigating and getting evidence is amazing, but the fun in it is doing it with your friends and people that you enjoy and the journey of getting the to that investigation and the things that happen and just spending time with people and the experiences that you get to do that nobody else gets to. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I, and I love that. I'm, I'm more of a legend tripper. I like to go someplace where something's happened like that and just say, yo, here I am. I'm in this place where this happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's a certain thrill for me there that, and I don't go anywhere really expecting anything to happen because that's usually a guarantee that it won't any of my real paranormal encounters was when i was least expecting it i don't think i never went into anywhere expecting anything to happen and had it happen but again this is it's it's an amazing field to study or as a hobby and uh like you talked about uh for the more adventurous of us it's a you know a travelogue a tour book um there was a book that came out in 78 by an author named jim brandon called weird america and he chronicled chronicled all these weird places and had showed where it was on the map and stuff. And that was almost my Bible there for a while. I went to as many of those places as I could. And still to this day, if I'm somewhere near one of those places that I read about back in the late seventies, I'll go pay it a visit just from that one book. I would love to do some sort of paranormal guidebook like that because nowadays you can give, um, not just a general location like he did, but you can give GPS coordinates. You can lead somebody right there, of course, trespassing and things like that. But that never stopped me much before. But that's, that's another thing that the way you're doing it, you're doing it the right way, you know, and they don't have to sneak into places and risk trespassing or arrest or anything like that. But it's, it's being embraced now and they're opening more places up and being respectful and and respectful to the environment and the place itself, I think that'll open it up for future generations to do what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Well, and also a lot of these historical locations we go to, you know, if we rent it out for $ 500 a night, that probably pays their bills for that month. And, you know, you got to think $ 5, $ 10 a historical tour is not bringing a lot of people in the doors. And so it's a huge influx of money for these historical locations. And it's expensive to keep up $ 1, 700, $ 1, 800, 1800s house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the heating and cooling and the paint and the roof and all that. A lot of stuff that people don't think about. Well, Eric, unfortunately, we've run out of time tonight. This two hours has just flown by.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've loved having you on the show. You're a fascinating person. One more time. Tell everybody the different places they can find you.
Speaker 1: The Unseen Paranormal Podcast is available anywhere you find music or podcast. So is Strange Chapters. The Unseen Paranormal Podcast is on YouTube, but it's audio only. Strange Chapters, like I said, on YouTube has a video element to it. And the new channel, we don't have anything up yet. We're filming this weekend called Strangely Haunted. And you can find me and all of those brands all over social media. The Unseen Paranormal Podcast is on every social media you can think of. I'm building up a TikTok following now, but doing short videos on there. But yeah, you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, on TikTok and LinkedIn, everywhere, Twitter or X, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just started on TikTok. That short form, that's a whole different animal for me, but I'm getting some good results with it. And I like being able to tell those short stories. Again, Eric, thank you for joining us. And I'll leave links in the show notes. to all those things you mentioned there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for having me, and thanks, everybody, for listening.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. Well, that's going to do it for tonight, everybody. I'm Steve Stockton. You've been listening to everything out there on the Clyde Lewis Ground Zero Radio Network. I'll see you a little further on down the trail. Tell your animals I said hi. Good night, everybody.