Speaker 1: Good morning and welcome in.
Speaker 2: It is a Monday morning edition Coffee and Company, Kentucky and his morning news here on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee. That's me Scott Fitzgerald alongside the one and only John Olden. He's with us as well. And we've got Joe Lincoln in once again this morning, filling in for John Shannon. So we've got a full crew and we were ready to get this week started. Fellas is it is?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 2: Can we say college football season is here? I mean we have games this week. Okay, just to make sure you were ready to confirm that, thank you, John. Yeah, I'm looking at the slate here for a week zero and I'm not going to be not going to be. You know, I'm not going to complain. We have real football and that's exciting, but you know it's not what we're going to get when we get really rolling.
Speaker 1: But hey, again, I won't complain. I'm going to embrace it.
Speaker 2: We also have high school football starting this week, which is really exciting. And yeah, we got another week. We're getting up and running here, and we had a little bit of a break yesterday. I don't know if you guys noticed, I think it was actually unexpected where we never reached the nineties, which almost fell like we need to put sweaters on.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, it's kind in.
Speaker 4: The cool down's coming to see.
Speaker 5: Temperatures could be in the mid fifties yes naxt week overnight.
Speaker 2: I'm ready for the cool down to happen. And I don't know how long it's going to stay. Don't know how long we can expect it, but I'm going to embrace it and enjoy it because this summer, I mean, I don't really know if there's any data that supports this. There's probably not, because if it was in fact like this record breaking type of summer, I think we would know. It just feels as if we haven't had as many breaks, if you know what I mean, from the heat right, like yesterday was a break. I don't think it was expected to be as cool as it actually was. But I'll but I'll take it. You were in Cincinnati this weekend, are they? I guess they pretty much have the same weather we.
Speaker 5: Do, right, same thing, same thing. The humidity is bad, Yeah, it was hot.
Speaker 4: It was hot.
Speaker 5: I was moving a bed down from a third floor apartment back up to a second floor apartment.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a great way to spend your weekend.
Speaker 4: Were No, by the time we were done, dude, it was. It was well done.
Speaker 5: We had a nice dinner, it was well deserved, and there were a few SuDS partake of at dinner.
Speaker 4: But no, it was the same thing, dude, it was the same. It was hot, it was human.
Speaker 5: Looking at the Climate Prediction Centers eight to fourteen day out look, it looks like we're gonna stay below normal temperatures coming up through that. So I think the most brutal part of this was before we hit the road Friday, I was cutting my grass and it was just I mean, it's the grass is so thick, it's so wet.
Speaker 4: It's just the air is like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just what we're doing. I mean, that's.
Speaker 5: Brutal, It's like and so by the time I get done cutting the grass, it's told.
Speaker 4: My wife said, I am just baked. I'm baked on every level.
Speaker 3: I'm done.
Speaker 4: And so if it doesn't rain for a while, my yard slows down.
Speaker 3: I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: Saturday was it was one of those days where I ended up. I was fortunate to spend some time poolside Thankfully my mother and stepfather, they they have a setup and they allow me to take advantage of it. And man, I needed to this weekend with the kids by myself for the weekend, but it was I was in the pool and for the first time, it wasn't even really like refreshing because even though the water was you know, it's better to be in the water than without.
Speaker 1: But like, it's just that air. It's thick and gross. And that's what.
Speaker 5: People were complaining about all weekend. They said, you walk out and you literally just the air's wet. It's just so like to your point, hopefully we break.
Speaker 2: It when I get to when we get here, meaning football is here, I mean we know that for the first few weeks of football season, sometimes even longer, it's going to be pretty hot. But man, I'm ready for I'm ready for a hoodie. Yeah, and some fall temperatures, but we got a ways to go. Yeah, and uh, you know it's coming fire pit again. I haven't used a fire pit since the early spring. Yeah, I tell you what, that's one of those I'm trying. I'm thinking now when it comes to cooler temperatures and fall season, there are things that like you you like a fire pit, you realize, Oh yeah, that's it's you know, fire pit season is upon us, John, and I'm sure you're looking forward to doing that. I'm also looking forward to to betting on some college football this year, which it just be it's just donations I make to to Drafting Sports Book, and I'm sure they're appreciative of these donations.
Speaker 1: That I give.
Speaker 2: But what I always tell people who are are not into the sports gambling, totally understand do whatever you want. If you are enjoying sports without having any type of wager on it, then you know that's then it's good. I just I always say that it enhances the experience in a way that just it makes a little bit more exciting. It's entertainment. It's not like I'm out here trying to, you know, make make a living doing it, because certainly.
Speaker 1: I would be. I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't be able to.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 1: It's not like I went a whole lot. But John, I think you're a good case study.
Speaker 2: You had never been someone that really got into sports gambling at all until it became legal and it became sort of really content as far as what we did on the sports side. Yeah, and you know, I don't think you're betting big dollars, but it just it it enhances the experience of sports, and that's that's what it's now what I look forward to when it comes to, you know, sports seasons starting that I really care about.
Speaker 7: And I'm very good about really just doing it between college football and the end of college basketball, and then if I have a little bit left over towards the end, I might do a little bit of NBA. But I haven't done any wagering since since the beginning of the NBA playoffs, so I'm ready to get back put some skin in the game once again.
Speaker 1: Scut. You're more of like a daily fantasy.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I do the Sunday daily fantasy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wake up Sunday morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you wake up Sunday morning, create a couple of lineups, which, to your point is great because you follow that along and that's what makes Red Zone so much fun.
Speaker 2: I feel like those those specific those leagues specifically, yeah, have had they had to have had a negative impact on people's interest in fantasy leagues, right, because it's like a reset every week and it's it's fresh start and you can have money in your pocket day of whereas in your league. I really think, and we'll talk about this later on, I had this planned. Some of the best fantasy football punishments the leagues do as far as the come last, those are funny, but I do it for just the nostalgia. We've had the same league for no joke, about fifteen years now and it would be sad to not have it anymore. But really like the incentive for me, the payoff is our annual draft where we all get together. We don't usually see each other all in one setting and other than that draft, but I mean it's like last on the priorities for me day of Sundays because I'm worried about my bets, and even the daily fantasy stuff too, So.
Speaker 4: It's still widely popular season long fantasies. It'll always be here.
Speaker 5: To your point, a lot of people have those teams, and I've seen some of those celebrations on TikTok that are coming out now.
Speaker 4: But daily fantasy just draws you into every game.
Speaker 2: The amount of money that is spent across the country on Sundays, just doing that is is big, big, big money, And of course some people win big money, not me, but other people do.
Speaker 1: And that's proof that you can win, just isn't me. So I've gotten some.
Speaker 4: Peer money out of it.
Speaker 1: Good Stuff's nice, good stuff.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll get you caught up on at traffic and weather this morning.
Speaker 1: It is a Monday. Thanks for hanging out with us again.
Speaker 2: It's Kentucky at It's Morning News, Coffee and company with you on news radio eight forty WHAS. That's right, it is Monday morning here at Kentucky and his Morning News Coffee and company with you. Don't forget you could take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the WHAS website at whs dot com, but also listen live on the iHeartRadio app, and again within the iHeart Radio app, you have the option to interact with us. Just click that microphone button while you're listening and there go. It'll prompt you. You will have thirty seconds to share whatever it is that you want, questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever you have, feel free to fire away. So this story from Friday is one that I really saw before it became and this is really a lot of honestly, now that I think about it, the two stories last week that of course became big stories. The first I saw of it was just people on social media, just average you know, not reporters, not media outlets, but somebody just saying that they're aware of something that happened, and then sure enough, within you know, a matter of minutes, it ends up being a report of something going on. One was the bus stop shooting, where somebody was there that went Facebook live and you could see I mean, unfortunately, you could see the woman laying on the ground. I mean, it wasn't a close up, and no one knew at the time the significance of the well, I guess how severe it was, but that's just how news kind of breaks this day and age. But on Friday, I don't even know how it ended up on my Facebook timeline. I think it's just one of those things that starts to spread like crazy, and then if you follow it or not, the algorithm just ends up having it in your feed. And there was somebody referencing a standoff situation where like an area of Jeffersonville, Indiana was was shut down because of an active police situation, and they were alluding to the details are crazy. What I'm hearing is nuts. And then somebody commented on what they heard was the situation, and I'll admit first thing I thought of, well, there's no way that's true, because that's insane, and sure enough it was true. So in Jeffersonville on Friday, a thirty nine year old was arrested. Bryce WINNECKI believe say you say that after a four hour standoff following the discovery of a headless body inside of a nearby home. So when you see somebody insinuate that there's a you know that just to me sounded like each layer that this got stretched and share there was an added, I guess exaggeration, But that wasn't the exaggeration because it was true. Police confirmed a headless body was found at the crime scene. So apparently around ten o'clock, officers responded to a welfare check on Summerland Place in Jeffersonville and they found a homicide victim. And then later that day they located the suspect who was armed at a home on Callaway Drive, and that led to a tactical standoff for many hours. Around three point thirty, this suspect surrendered with that incident and was taken into custody. But yes, police confirmed a headless body found. A severed head was later recovered in the area, not in that home, and investigators say this was a family related incident and not a random act. So not something you see very often somebody being arrested for murder and they've decapitated somebody. I mean, that's just insane, for lack of a better word, and I'm sure there are better words, but I mean insane, that's what I've got. Maybe I'll figure out a better word to use moving forward. So yeah, just a gruesome and heartbreaking situation there in Jeffersonville. But again, they do want to stress that this is not a this is there's no ongoing threat to the public. It's just an isolated incident with a family situation. So also with Jeffersonville, this we didn't talk about last week, but they did later confirm that gat that that explosion that took place at that home in Jeffersonville was once again confirmed to be a gas leak, and one of those that was injured has since passed away. So rough rough situation there in Jeffersonville the last few weeks. All right, let's get to another check of traffic and weather. We'll get you caught up on the roadways. Another busier week, meaning everybody's back in school. Let's I feel like this is the first week where we are up and at it and everybody's starting fresh on a Monday, back to school and of.
Speaker 1: Course back to work for a lot of people too.
Speaker 2: So we'll get you through the morning here Kentucky and this morning news, coffee and company with you on news radio waight forty whas. Thank you very much, Joe Link. And it is six thirty five. I'm sorry I got ahead of myself. It's five thirty five. Don't worry, You're not late to work. If I just put you in a full panic, it's five thirty five. But it is Kentucky INA's Morning News that I can confirm. And I tell you what. We're off to a good Monday morning here. And I know I said this last week, but why not say it once more? I am I am amazed would probably be an exaggeration, but just the flow of vehicles.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say traffic because I don't sit in traffic.
Speaker 2: But the commute here when there's not school going on in the commute here, when there is school going on in the early morning hours. I mean, I'm sure this is probably an exaggeration, and I wouldn't be good at just looking and putting throwing a number out there, but I feel like it's like forty percent more vehicles on the road in the morning, which just tells me how many people are rather be their teachers, or they work for the school system in some capacity, or they have to get their kids somewhere to get ready to be taken to school somewhere. But yeah, I underestimated just how many people are up and at it earlier throughout the early morning, whenever you've got school going on, regardless if it's I mean, look, there are people who maybe live in Oldham County here, Spencer County, Bullet County that their kids are in private school in Jefferson County and that involves a commute and whatnot. So we'll keep you updated as best we can on the traffic situation. So far, didn't sound like there's anything major going on, but if that changes, we'll be sure to let you know. So Joe mentioned the triathlon, the iron Man, that took place here in Louisville. It was yesterday, and I am I'm amazed by those who are able to do these. I mean, let alone do it and be competitive as far as you know, like the amount of time you get it done. But just doing a one point two mile swim, a fifty six mile bike ride, and a thirteen point one mile run, I mean doing that in general, and also doing it in the summer heat. Those who participate, the competitors absolute badasses, I mean just insane, and I don't. I'll never I'm not gonna lie to myself and act like I'll ever do one of these because I won't. But I looked up just some average, just some numbers. As far as those that do participate, So women make up eighteen percent of total iron Man entries. That's the full distance, which I will'll admit hand up, I would have guessed fewer than that, So apologies for I guess underestimating the women that also participate in this. But in certain areas of the United States, female participation for iron Man actually gets up to like twenty five percent. So as far as the age range, it says here that recent trends show more young athletes signing up. A thirty nine percent increase in first timers under the age of thirty currently compared to twenty nineteen, and an impressive sixty six percent growth among those that are under thirty in iron Man seventy point three events, So age range thirty to thirty four is now the largest category for the first time. So that's where most are. That's the age range most are in that participate in this. But again, the youth surge has been has been. I mean even those that are in their twenties, it's climbing up. So again I'm jealous of all of you who are able to do that. And also, more than anything, accomplishing it is certainly a huge accomplishment. I doubt, I doubt there's ever been anybody other than maybe someone who suffered some type of serious injury because of it. But training for a triathlon and then competing it, have you Ever, there's no way anybody's regretted it, right, It's got to be such a sense of accomplishment, Like for me, this is such.
Speaker 1: A lower level of that.
Speaker 2: But I always say this to people when it comes to the gym and working out, like, is anybody ever regretted going to the gym and working out or exercising? Meaning like you think about it, like should I do it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll do it next week or and look, I'm guilty of that too, but I've never actually going through with getting a run in or going to the gym and exercising and working out and not feeling like.
Speaker 1: Wow, there was there was I should have done this. This was good for me. I'm glad I did this.
Speaker 2: So the training, right, those that go through, because you don't just show up and swim what is it, one point two miles and then ride your bike for fifty six miles and then pull off a thirteen point one mile run. You don't just say, yeah, oh, there's a triathle on this weekend, I'm gonna sign up. I mean, if you did do that and you were able to get it done, then you are next level badass. But yeah, congratulations to all those that competed. I'm just looking at it different iron man training. I guess programs that you can get into and I mean you're talking probably fifteen hours a week that is spent just training, and that's what's needed. I guess to be best bet, you know, to be in the best shape possible to get it done. So that just takes a lot of dedication and commitment and I envy those that can pull that off. Congrats to everybody involved. All right, we've got another traffic and weather update coming up, so stick around for that. Also, Roy o'eil of NBC News set to join us coming up on the other side right here on News Radio eight forty whas. It is Coffee and Company, Kentucky, and is Morning News with you here on News Radio eight forty whas. Good morning, everybody, Happy Monday. Let's welcome in our friend Rory O'Neal of NBC News. Rory, when it comes to the situation in Washington, DC, to me, it kind of depends on who you who you want to listen to, who you believe, because there's there's some numbers that do back up just how dangerous Washington, DC is as far as crime. But then there's some that will tell you, well, hey, it's not that big of a deal. The National Guard troops really aren't needed. What do we know as far as what is fact and what is not? And I guess how this is expected to play out.
Speaker 6: Well, one of the issue is are we sure we have the facts right? Because there is a police commander who's gotten in trouble, who he is accused of fudge the crime statistics, essentially under reporting what happened. Let's say it was a shooting and he puts it down as a simple assault or something like that, so that it looks like he's doing a better job of managing crime in his area.
Speaker 3: Now that guy's been suspended, he's appealing all that stuff.
Speaker 6: But that's also one of the issues that cloud's exactly what's happening on the ground in Washington.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: This weekend we saw again the military flexing its muscle quite a bit, with large vehicles and a large strong presence by places like Union Station near the Capitol and.
Speaker 3: The Washington Monument in the mall.
Speaker 6: But are those really the high crime areas where they need the attention.
Speaker 3: It's another question that's out there.
Speaker 2: What I can't understand is that if in fact, there are resources being provided to a city that is clearly suffering from a high level of violent crime, and they're there to help, what's the resistance.
Speaker 6: Well, for a president to call up a national go and deployed troops in a state, which again is a little gray here because it's the district, that's not something that the Constitution really approves of, especially without the governor's consent. We saw the same conflict when it came to California and the process that were happening there. It's similar now in this case. The mayor has not really objected to this. And again President Trump is using authority he has under section seven forty of the Home Rule Act for the district, so he can do this for thirty days.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: Whether or not this is extended, that's going to be up to Congress. But of course, you know, Congress pretty much has been acting like a rubber stamp for the president.
Speaker 3: So we'll see what happened. So there are some constitutional questions about.
Speaker 6: Doing this, whether or not this is a distraction to change the topic from the Epstein case, and whether or not this was really necessary at all is Again the numbers are tough, but this idea that you know, Washington got bad in twenty twenty three and that things had been improving, and finally, you know, do you want armed troops marching through your streets all day?
Speaker 3: Does that make you feel safer either?
Speaker 2: And that makes it make sense as far as it's more so, not that people are totally in denial, that they have an issue. It's just I guess the way in which President Trump is going about it, which it's not uncommon for him to go at about it a certain way that's different than really others have done it, and questionable if it's even if it's even allowed. So that makes it make total sense. Thank you, Roy. That's why you're the best. That's that's why we love to have you each and every morning here with us on news Radio eight forty WHS. So let's switch gears here. The Texas lawmakers. They're returning to Austin to vote on redistricting as far as the plan that will favor Republicans, and in California a special election will be held that could benefit Democrats in Congress. Are other states expected to in line to kind of follow suit here?
Speaker 6: Well, that's the big argument now, right, So this is an issue of jerry mandering, redrawing the maps in order to make the votes go to your party. You know, we've seen it in places like Illinois where it favors Democrats, and now in Texas they're trying to redraw the maps to try to get five more Republican seats. Well, now, the governor of California with plans unveiled over the weekend and maps there saying aha, we can do that too and get five more seats. The question is, okay, California and Texas. Let's say California approves it, and that's no guarantee, but let's say California voters approve it, so five offset spives. So now you have to look at places like Indiana, oh and Ohio as two other places that could try to redraw some of their maps in order to give them a Republican benefit. So it's a bit of a wait and see. But this could also get close. You know, we're talking about midterm elections that are happening just over a year from now, so because then these registrict maps always go to court challenges that can really slow things down. So let's see how this all unfold. But the Democratic lawmakers in Texas are now expected to start returning today. It looks like the inevitable is about to happen with these new maps getting approved in Texas.
Speaker 2: Rory is always appreciate your time and appreciate the conversation. Enjoy the rest of your day. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Thanks Nick, talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: That is Rory O'Neil of NBC News good stuff there Again when it comes to the situation in DC, and again that's why Rory makes it make sense. Like the way in which Trump has decided to go about a lot of things is a little bit, I guess, not the traditional way, and sometimes there's legitimate questioning.
Speaker 1: As far as like would he be allowed to do it?
Speaker 2: And Rory did a good job explaining sort of the you know what he's using to be able to do it and whatnot. But I just from just a citizen standpoint, if you hear that somebody is there's going to be resources added to help keep your city from being quite as violent and dangerous, I would say I would welcome with open arms. But clearly I think some people just don't want Trump to be able to do whatever he wants to do. And that's just where we are, all right. Let's get to an update on traffic and weather. Also, Scott's back with another sports update right here on news Radio eight forty whas